PDA

View Full Version : Wood backs Schache

bornadog
04-03-2020, 04:22 PM
link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/571785/wood-backs-schache)

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/03/04/d24755c6-6f4c-404f-858f-ec57d7da9bcc/HERO_Schache040320.jpg?width=952&height=592

Former skipper Easton Wood says he’s excited about what emerging key forward Josh Schache can produce in 2020.

As the Bulldogs weigh-up a three-pronged tall forward set-up this season, much of the attention has centred around fellow young gun Aaron Naughton as he has managed a pair of knee injuries, and off-season recruit Josh Bruce.

But Wood believes Schache has been building strongly and is confident he’s ready to take the next step

“Josh just keeps improving, which has been great,” Wood told 3AW Sports Day.

“I think he’s taken another step over this pre-season, and I’m excited to see what he can do.

“He’s obviously a beautiful set shot in front of goal, so he really makes the most of his opportunities.

“But what we’ve seen the real growth in has been his ability to make that contest and either mark it or bring it to ground.”

The 22-year-old showed plenty of promise last season, slotting 24 goals from his 14 AFL games, including match-defining performance against Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.

Wood believes a stable club environment and the ‘organic growth’ of players such as Schache can help the Bulldogs as they seek to better their 2019 campaign.

“(There’s been) organic growth within our team - we’ve got a young team - but I feel like guys are really coming into their best football,” Wood said.

“It’s really exciting, what’s ahead.

“We feel like the midfield can go to another level and we’ve seen some great growth particularly in the forward line over the back half of last year."

“But we still need to get into the season and put it all together, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.”

Mofra
04-03-2020, 04:31 PM
I just listened to the 3AW interview this was taken from. McClure didn't think the Bulldogs had the marking power in the forwardline - Wood had to correct him and remind him of Naughton's contested marking.

Happy Days
04-03-2020, 04:33 PM
I just listened to the 3AW interview this was taken from. McClure didn't think the Bulldogs had the marking power in the forwardline - Wood had to correct him and remind him of Naughton's contested marking.

Geez.

Does he reckon Griffen, Boyd or Cooney can go to the next level in the midfield? What about the recruitment of Hudson in the ruck? Is Eade on the hot seat if we don't contend this year?

bulldogtragic
04-03-2020, 04:34 PM

We only have two of the top 5 contested marks in the 2019 H&A season...

Mofra
04-03-2020, 04:37 PM
You'd expect if it was your full time job you'd do a little research before interviewing a senior player at a football club.

bulldogtragic
04-03-2020, 04:54 PM
You'd expect if it was your full time job you'd do a little research before interviewing a senior player at a football club.

That's why I don't consume much footy media anymore. So many seem ignorant, happily. Layer that in the Tom Boyd hate, the same type of attitude to Schache etc. Then guys like Whately who use their platform to endorse Toby Greene and 'to never stop being Toby'. Or collecting Bulldogs player's teeth or eyes.

I don't mind our club or players being criticised, it's absolutely fair game. But based on facts, FFS please... I've had a gut full of ignorant BS in the media landscape where good footy journalism used to be. As you say, these 'professionals' in the media and in TV commentary are ignorant and some cases sprout plainly dumb things and their bosses/producers don't seem to care that they're incompetent. So since there's no standards and there's no need to do basic journalistic things to a competent level.

That GVGjr is why we can never ever close down woof. We can debate different angles, but for the most part we use facts and insight to elevate conversations about our footy club.

The Pie Man
04-03-2020, 05:20 PM

He's a big part of the problem with the AFL media landscape.

Not good

hujsh
04-03-2020, 05:23 PM
I've been watching too much Bojack Horseman because I felt like this article should have been called Wood Backy Schache in Attacky.

ledge
04-03-2020, 05:34 PM
I've been watching too much Bojack Horseman because I felt like this article should have been called Wood Backy Schache in Attacky.

I’m guessing there’s a reason you didn’t say Woody ;-)

Rocket Science
04-03-2020, 05:38 PM
Geez.

Does he reckon Griffen, Boyd or Cooney can go to the next level in the midfield? What about the recruitment of Hudson in the ruck? Is Eade on the hot seat if we don't contend this year?

Not to mention completely ignoring the hype around Andrejs Everitt's debut.

As long as gimps like McClure remain employed the AFL meeja's little more than a sheltered workshop.

Mofra
04-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Not to mention completely ignoring the hype around Andrejs Everitt's debut.

As long as gimps like McClure remain employed the AFL meeja's little more than a sheltered workshop.
In Gerard Healy's defence, he backed up Wood. A few make an effort.

bornadog
04-03-2020, 05:56 PM

This is typical of media over the years where we are consistently under rated. Lots of players over the years have not received the accolades they deserve because of Morons like this who are focused on only a few teams.

Axe Man
04-03-2020, 05:57 PM
Was this Mark or Sam McClure?

bornadog
04-03-2020, 06:11 PM
Was this Mark or Sam McClure?

Sam.

Axe Man
04-03-2020, 06:21 PM
Sam.

I would expect better from Sam, Mark would be lucky to know where he is half the time.

bornadog
04-03-2020, 06:32 PM
I would expect better from Sam, Mark would be lucky to know where he is half the time.

I like Mark, tells it as it is.

ledge
04-03-2020, 07:01 PM

Perfect person to have an a footy board.
Old fashioned straight to the point if you like it or not.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-03-2020, 12:26 AM
Sam is annoying to be honest and about as insightful as any bloke down at the pub.

jeemak
05-03-2020, 02:15 AM

I can't read past this comment...….what else happened!

jeemak
05-03-2020, 02:22 AM
You see the good thing about this place is that the various contributors source the best quality information and consolidate it here, free of charge. It's literally the best.

Twodogs
05-03-2020, 01:35 PM
That's why I don't consume much footy media anymore. So many seem ignorant, happily. Layer that in the Tom Boyd hate, the same type of attitude to Schache etc. Then guys like Whately who use their platform to endorse Toby Greene and 'to never stop being Toby'. Or collecting Bulldogs player's teeth or eyes.

Listening to that made me feel physically ill. So by that logic it would be OK for to front up to Gerard, knock him over, jump on top of him, start clawing at his eyes and then grab a handful of hair and bash his forehead on the ground? After all it's just me being me, I've always liked a fight and I don't see why I should have to be the one that has to subvert my natural desire to consolidate Whately's head with a bit of footpath.

That GVGjr is why we can never ever close down woof. We can debate different angles, but for the most part we use facts and insight to elevate conversations about our footy club.

Hear, *!*!*!*!ing, hear! It won't be closing down while I have any say in it.

This is typical of media over the years where we are consistently under rated. Lots of players over the years have not received the accolades they deserve because of Morons like this who are focused on only a few teams.

Kelvin. *!*!*!*!ing. Templeton. Put him in the HOF this year and then elevate him to legend status next year. If he had played his footy at any other club (I know he payed with Melbourne but he hobbled on one leg most of his time there) he would (rightfully) be considered a super star and the best player of his era. He was certainly the first Coleman/Brownlow medalist combination ( and only Lockett has done it since and he's in the HOF)

I do like Mark but there is a huge difference between 'telling it as it is' and just saying the first thing that comes in your head. Maclure just tends to say the first thing that comes into his head without really filtering it through the prism in his brain before saying it but it's always entertaining and informative.

hujsh
05-03-2020, 02:37 PM
I can't read past this comment...….what else happened!

Well his lacky shot backy with a whacky at the media for talking smacky at Schache.

jeemak
05-03-2020, 03:05 PM
There's also a huge difference between telling things how you see them versus telling things how they are! This is what really got to me about Aker supporters who claimed he told things as they were.

Anyway, it is going to be great to see Schache and the other two gel if and when they're all able to get on the park together!

bornadog
05-03-2020, 03:12 PM
it is going to be great to see Schache and the other two gel if and when they're all able to get on the park together!

We will see some glimpses this weekend with Bruce set to play and Lew Young may also go down there.

GVGjr
05-03-2020, 09:36 PM

I don't mind our club or players being criticised, it's absolutely fair game. But based on facts, FFS please... I've had a gut full of ignorant BS in the media landscape where good footy journalism used to be. As you say, these 'professionals' in the media and in TV commentary are ignorant and some cases sprout plainly dumb things and their bosses/producers don't seem to care that they're incompetent. So since there's no standards and there's no need to do basic journalistic things to a competent level.

I'd like to think this is true but the participation numbers from some the members suggests we have a very limited shelf life.

Hotdog60
05-03-2020, 11:24 PM
I'd like to think this is true but the participation numbers from some the members suggests we have a very limited shelf life.

That may be the nature of the beast being that it's related to a seasonal game. Things get a little quite in the off season.
I'd be curious if we could have some mid year stats on posts over the last few years.

GVGjr
06-03-2020, 10:16 AM
That may be the nature of the beast being that it's related to a seasonal game. Things get a little quite in the off season.
I'd be curious if we could have some mid year stats on posts over the last few years.

The vBulletin software has a lots of stats so I can share but the problem is that we aren't attracting enough active new members

Eastdog
06-03-2020, 11:31 AM
I really enjoy WOOF. Really contributing lately with posting up articles and enjoy helping in the Dawg squad.