25-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Had no idea we had so many. Always more than you realise

GVGjr
25-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Had no idea we had so many. Always more than you realise

And they didn't list Boumann, Grant and Lynch

Go_Dogs
25-02-2008, 08:02 PM
As always, let's hope the list is accurate and truly reflects when the players will be back. Will look a lot stronger with Gilbee, Williams, Ray, Giansiracusa and Harbrow back.

LostDoggy
25-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Lynchy pulled his hammy a few weeks ago, i thought he may have played for willy on saturday but yeah he obviously didnt, he should be back either this week or next i reckon.

LostDoggy
25-02-2008, 09:29 PM
How long can Williams be out with a thigh? Dead set.

Its been since mid December. Theres gotta be more to the story.

G-Mo77
25-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Wow that is a pretty long list and here I was thinking we were pretty healthy at this stage.

By the looks of them all though, most player should be ready to go by Round 1. Ray and Lake probably the big concerns there and Lake would be a big blow if he missed the season opener.

Will they be fielding a side when they come here on Friday. I'll put my hand up and play if they are looking for someone. :)

Mantis
25-02-2008, 10:48 PM
How long can Williams be out with a thigh? Dead set.

Its been since mid December. Theres gotta be more to the story.

And from reports he hasn't train since the players got back from there Xmas break.

He is the one player who needs to be on the track refining his skills. Agree that it doesn't take 10 weeks to get over a thigh strain.

Dry Rot
26-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Injury has Bulldogs short on talls

Mark Stevens | February 26, 2008 12:00am

WESTERN Bulldogs full-back Brian Lake was having surgery last night on a nagging hip problem, but the club hopes he will be available for Round 1.

Lake, who changed his name from Harris in December, aggravated the complaint in the 54-point NAB Cup loss to Essendon on Friday night and medicos decided the 2007 best-and-fairest winner needed an arthroscopic clean-up.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said yesterday Lake had a slight tear in the lining of the hip that required a trim.

"He should be right Round 1. He might even be right the week before," Eade said. "It will be the slightest of trims."

But despite the reasonably positive outlook, the injury is poor timing considering the plight of centre half-back Tom Williams.

Williams, hobbled by a tendon injury in his leg, is yet to play in the pre-season and will probably miss another fortnight.

The Dogs have issues with depth in tall defensive posts and Lake and Williams are ultra-important to their structure.

"Tom Williams will join in training next week," Eade said. "The injury is not bad, as such. It's just a rare one. It's the tendon in his thigh, not the muscle.

"The docs told us we just had to treat with respect."

Back-up ruckman Wayde Skipper, another key-position option, is still three to four weeks away from returning from a foot injury and will not play in Round 1.

The Dogs' No. 1 draft pick Jarrad Grant, stung by a stingray on Friday, was still on crutches yesterday.

"He is still bruised and sore," Eade said.

"He'll hopefully play this week, but it is a rare one.

"Apparently the barb at the end punctured him. That's why it bled.

"It's just bruised his heel."

Veterans Scott West and Brad Johnson are likely to be rested from Friday night's practice match against Melbourne in Bendigo.

Lindsay Gilbee, who has been suffering from calf soreness, is considered a 50-50 prospect because the Dogs have a no-risk policy.

In other news at Whitten Oval, Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia has confirmed South Australian rookie-listed player Gavin Hughes has retired.

Hughes returned home in early February to ponder his future and sort out personal issues, but will not return.

The speedy 21-year-old was kept on the rookie list this year after impressing for Werribee last season.

The Dogs will enter the season one rookie short.

"He'll stay on the list, but at this stage he's staying in Adelaide," Fantasia said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23275653-19742,00.html

Bulldog Revolution
26-02-2008, 08:52 AM
The Lake injury perhaps explains his poor form friday

Pleased to see they will rest Johnson and West, and no point in risking Gilbee

Disappointing for Williams - a uninterrupted preseason would have helped his development

Friday should provide another opportunity for kids to step into the team and contribute - what a shame more of them aren't fit and ready to go

bornadog
26-02-2008, 11:11 AM
The Lake injury perhaps explains his poor form friday

The Lake injury is a concern for round one.

bornadog
26-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Here is a list of the AFL, serious injuries, but I don't know how up to date it is.

http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/afl.php

Sockeye Salmon
26-02-2008, 12:30 PM
For round one, the Crows will use McGregor and Gill as tall forwards. If Lake and Williams miss as now seems likely, our options would be Hargrave, Morris, Mcdougall and Everitt.

Hargrave will be asked to play above his height again and take one of them (probably Gill) and I suppose Mcdougall might get McGregor. Mcdougall was ordinary on Friday but McGregor is no Scott Lucas.

Everitt has been worse than Mcdougall and at this stage not in my 22 for round 1.

GVGjr
26-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Everitt has been worse than Mcdougall and at this stage not in my 22 for round 1.

Perhaps the dreaded 2nd year blues?

Go_Dogs
26-02-2008, 01:59 PM
For round one, the Crows will use McGregor and Gill as tall forwards. If Lake and Williams miss as now seems likely, our options would be Hargrave, Morris, Mcdougall and Everitt.

Hargrave will be asked to play above his height again and take one of them (probably Gill) and I suppose Mcdougall might get McGregor. Mcdougall was ordinary on Friday but McGregor is no Scott Lucas.

Gill may still be unavailable, as he's still a couple of weeks away from resuming and may not quite be ready. Sellar/Tippett/Griffen are the other blokes who could fill the second tall role.

I'm quietly confident that McDougall has the ability to match up pretty well on McGregor, it's more their smalls I'm worried about. Morris, Hargrave, Gilbee and Griffen are all going to have to play big games.

Sockeye Salmon
26-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Gill may still be unavailable, as he's still a couple of weeks away from resuming and may not quite be ready. Sellar/Tippett/Griffen are the other blokes who could fill the second tall role.

I'm quietly confident that McDougall has the ability to match up pretty well on McGregor, it's more their smalls I'm worried about. Morris, Hargrave, Gilbee and Griffen are all going to have to play big games.

Then we might be lucky that we might still be able to cover their big guys.

If their smaller guys do the damage, bad luck, we've got our A team against them.

Winning in the midfield would help.

Mantis
26-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Then we might be lucky that we might still be able to cover their big guys.

If their smaller guys do the damage, bad luck, we've got our A team against them.

Winning in the midfield would help.

And how do we go about that?

Sockeye Salmon
26-02-2008, 03:28 PM
And how do we go about that?

"Young Crows take reins

ADELAIDE'S cavalry of second-tier midfielders stole the show against Fremantle on Sunday and the early signs suggest they will shoulder more of the load in 2008.

The Crows' list of leading possession winners from the 17-point victory over Freo read as follows: Chris Knights 25 touches, Brent Reilly 23, Scott Thompson 23, Jason Porplyzia 21 and Bryce Campbell 18.

Andrew McLeod, who racked up 17 touches and three goals, was the best of the elder statesmen as young onballer Nathan van Berlo said it was time the club's next generation of midfielders started taking charge.

"We can't sit back and rely on those guys like [Simon] Goodwin, McLeod, [Tyson] Edwards and Nathan Bassett, who have been around for a long period of time now, because in a few years they are not going to be here," he said."

Having a 2nd tier midfield like that would help.

Mantis
26-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Having a 2nd tier midfield like that would help.

But our first tier midfield can't cut the mustard. What hope do our 2nd tiered midfielders have?

Go_Dogs
26-02-2008, 03:36 PM
But our first tier midfield can't cut the mustard. What hope do our 2nd tiered midfielders have?

Not much at the moment.

I do rate Higgins above guys like Knights etc though, at least on potential. Perhaps they have been shown more faith than our guys have?

FWIW, I think if we start with Cross/Boyd/West around the ball, one of them at least needs to concentrate on shut down first, win ball second.

Sockeye Salmon
26-02-2008, 03:53 PM

I'm not sure I agree with this.

Cooney, Cross, West and Boyd can hold their own. Each are good footballers in their own right.

I want to see someone with pace who can use the ball compliment them. A few years ago Aker was one of the best at it, can he get his kicking magic back? I expect Ray to be another good ball distributor and so will Griffen.

Eagleton has been inconsistent his entire career.

You need about 10-12, we're a few short.

Between 2001-2004 we drafted 3 midfielders who remain on our list - Cooney, Ray & Griffen - all taken in the top 4 picks.

Since then Higgins shows promise, Addison is a battler at best; Stack, Hill & Lynch all look a long way off senior footy. Harbrow looks likely.

Until a few of these guys turn into senior players, and that's not going to happen before round 1, we can't afford to have the likes of Gilbee, Griffen and Ray all out at the same time.

PS. If we had the luxury of playing Murphy up the ground we would have another one. If Everitt and Hargrave could do the job across halfback perhaps Gilbee could move up to a wing.

Mantis
26-02-2008, 03:56 PM
I do rate Higgins above guys like Knights etc though, at least on potential.

With the ball, yes.
Without the ball, no where near it.

Perhaps they have been shown more faith than our guys have?

Perhaps that has to be earnt first. Due to a severe lack of depth too many of our players are given a free ride in our team. If you have talent you get every chance in the world to use it. The only players who have had to earnt there stripes are the less talented ones, no surprise they are generally our more consistent performers.

FWIW, I think if we start with Cross/Boyd/West around the ball, one of them at least needs to concentrate on shut down first, win ball second.

Why can't all 3 find the correct balance between attack and defence?

Go_Dogs
26-02-2008, 04:08 PM
With the ball, yes.
Without the ball, no where near it.

I'll agree with that, how can we rectify it? If Higgins is going to play more midfield this year, he needs to get better at this, even if he plays the majority of the year forward, he needs to get a lot better on his defensive efforts. Is it fitness? Lack of willingness to work hard?

Perhaps that has to be earnt first. Due to a severe lack of depth too many of our players are given a free ride in our team. If you have talent you get every chance in the world to use it. The only players who have had to earnt there stripes are the less talented ones, no surprise they are generally our more consistent performers.

I guess, but guys like Van Berlo, Knights etc have been given pretty good runs with the senior side. Guys like Griffen and Ray had to earn their selection too, as did Everitt, Harbrow, Higgins, so I'm not too sure I agree with you here. At this stage though, our depth probably means that more who aren't ready are exposed than some other sides. I feel that all of Griffen/Ray/Everitt/Harbrow/Higgins all did enough to warrant their selections on merit, not talent/potential alone.

Why can't all 3 find the correct balance between attack and defence?

In a dream world, perhaps they can. 2006 was so successful imo, because we had guys like Boyd willing to go the extra distance, apply a hard tackle, shut down space, these days they seem more concerned with getting into position for their next possession. Until they prove they can go both ways, I think one has to be given a job negating.

Bold areas are my responses - had to type something down here!

Mantis
26-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure I agree with this.

Cooney, Cross, West and Boyd can hold their own. Each are good footballers in their own right.

I want to see someone with pace who can use the ball compliment them. A few years ago Aker was one of the best at it, can he get his kicking magic back? I expect Ray to be another good ball distributor and so will Griffen.

Eagleton has been inconsistent his entire career.

You need about 10-12, we're a few short.

Between 2001-2004 we drafted 3 midfielders who remain on our list - Cooney, Ray & Griffen - all taken in the top 4 picks.

Since then Higgins shows promise, Addison is a battler at best; Stack, Hill & Lynch all look a long way off senior footy. Harbrow looks likely.

Until a few of these guys turn into senior players, and that's not going to happen before round 1, we can't afford to have the likes of Gilbee, Griffen and Ray all out at the same time.

PS. If we had the luxury of playing Murphy up the ground we would have another one. If Everitt and Hargrave could do the job across halfback perhaps Gilbee could move up to a wing.

Where do I start?

West/ Cross/ Boyd - Made my feelings known on these 3. Don't hurt the opposition enough with there feet for my liking. Don't do enough when we don't have the ball.

Cooney - Developing well. Hopefully goes to another level this year.

Ray & Griffen - Both looked great in Darwin. Hope they get back on the park shortly. Will be very important players for us.

Higgins - Still only 19, but needs to learn how to apply pressure on the opposition.

Eagleton - Better options available.

Harbrow - Like him alot, would be in the first 12 players picked in my team.

Let's hope there is a real changing of the guard this year. I hope players like Hill and Stack and possibly Ward and Reid apply some pressure this year and make the players in our main team earn there position.

Dry Rot
26-02-2008, 04:29 PM

Maxwell Smart would probably ask Chief about the 3rd tier midfielders at this point.....

Mantis
26-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Maxwell Smart would probably ask Chief about the 3rd tier midfielders at this point.....

That was inciteful.... Do you have anything meaningful to add?

Dry Rot
26-02-2008, 04:39 PM
That was inciteful.... Do you have anything meaningful to add?

Only that I think you meant "insightful".

If so, thanks. :)

Mantis
26-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Only that I think you meant "insightful".

If so, thanks. :)

That's ok, least I can do.

Another post for me...Yippee.

Dogs 24/7
26-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Its quite an injury list but none are to serious. I guess agianst the Crows we could afford to have a tall defender or two out. Not ideal but their midfield is the real concern.

GVGjr
26-02-2008, 09:47 PM
I got this from the club today

Brian Lake underwent minor surgery this morning to remove a small amount of cartilage from his right hip which had been causing him discomfort.

The surgery was complete success and Brian was sent home from hospital at lunchtime today.

He will return to training on Thursday and Friday this week and barring any complications it is expected that he will play in Round 1.

BulldogBelle
26-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I got this from the club today

Brian Lake underwent minor surgery this morning to remove a small amount of cartilage from his right hip which had been causing him discomfort.

The surgery was complete success and Brian was sent home from hospital at lunchtime today.

He will return to training on Thursday and Friday this week and barring any complications it is expected that he will play in Round 1.

Thanks for sharing that with us GVG, good to hear that it all went well.

Mofra
26-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Harbrow - Like him alot, would be in the first 12 players picked in my team.
You're not alone.

I rate him the best defensive forward line player we have. If every Bulldog player worked as hard as he did when the opposition had the ball, they'd have no easy possessions & we'd cause more turnovers.

Effort > talent.

Sockeye Salmon
27-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Effort > talent.

Dreams < Reality