PDA

View Full Version : When will the game’s actually start??

mjp
14-03-2020, 09:37 PM
I am not convinced we will be watching any footy next weekend. What does everyone else think??

1eyedog
14-03-2020, 09:41 PM
I am not convinced we will be watching any footy next weekend. What does everyone else think??

Reckon they'll pull the pin this week.

bornadog
14-03-2020, 10:12 PM
Nah, it all starts next week.

The Underdog
15-03-2020, 12:07 AM
I think they want to get games in before players are diagnosed and they have to pull the pin. It’s all dependent on when players are diagnosed, but I think there’s definite concern about the financial effect on clubs if the season is postponed.

Happy Days
15-03-2020, 12:54 AM
They have until the first player gets it. At the current rate of infection I don't see them making it to Thursday.

josie
15-03-2020, 01:07 AM
And coaching and match day staff....and their family and friends and work associates they come into contact with.....

Eastdog
15-03-2020, 01:34 AM
Reckon they'll pull the pin this week.

I'm leaning towards that as well. I reckon a strong chance it will be postponed.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2020, 02:07 AM
If reports are to be believed, the peak of it will be August.

Think the season is done and the AFL has grave concerns for clubs and their financial viability.

Bulldog4life
15-03-2020, 10:41 AM
This could be the financial ruin of a number of clubs. The future is bleak to say the least.

DOG GOD
15-03-2020, 10:51 AM
I’m expecting the AFL to pull the plug at a press conference come Monday/Tuesday

azabob
15-03-2020, 11:17 AM
If the season is delayed or called off wonder how players will react?

They will have their base payments, but won’t get match payments or have the opportunity to meet contract triggers for new deals or financial incentives.

What happens to fringe players coming out of contract at years end? Will the AFL enforce the minimum three list changes per year?
Certainly an interesting time.

The Adelaide Connection
15-03-2020, 11:49 AM
If the season is delayed or called off wonder how players will react?

They will have their base payments, but won’t get match payments or have the opportunity to meet contract triggers for new deals or financial incentives.

What happens to fringe players coming out of contract at years end? Will the AFL enforce the minimum three list changes per year?
Certainly an interesting time.

If it all gets scratched out the hardest done by will be the players entering into their likely last season (the Tory Dickson types) and the poor buggers who have been on a list without a game to their name or have finally got their break and had this year to prove themselves.

There’s a few blokes sitting at home with ACL’s and the like that are likely less devastated than they were.

bulldogtragic
15-03-2020, 11:59 AM
If it all gets scratched out the hardest done by will be the players entering into their likely last season (the Tory Dickson types) and the poor buggers who have been on a list without a game to their name or have finally got their break and had this year to prove themselves.

There’s a few blokes sitting at home with ACL’s and the like that are likely less devastated than they were.

And draftees like Bailey Smith in particular, or maybe Weightman:

"For instance, players taken in the top 20 picks this November will be on a base salary of $95,000 in 2019. They’ll also receive $4000 per senior match and bonuses for reaching certain game milestones (ie. they’ll earn a $12,000 bonus if they play over 15 games).

Those figures, under the CBA, will increase for their second year in 2020, with the base salary jumping to anywhere between $100,000 and $130,000, depending on the amount of games the players have played in their first season in 2019. (The full player payment breakdown can be viewed in the CBA on the AFL Players’ Association’s website.)"

bornadog
15-03-2020, 12:15 PM
I think if the games don't go ahead, the AFL will lose even more money due to the TV rights.

The AFL just has to dip into their future fund ($120 million) and prop up the clubs.

However, the bullshit Gill is talking about like changing the length of the game etc is just an excuse to put through his changes. That better not happen.

The Adelaide Connection
15-03-2020, 12:25 PM
And draftees like Bailey Smith in particular, or maybe Weightman:

"For instance, players taken in the top 20 picks this November will be on a base salary of $95,000 in 2019. They’ll also receive $4000 per senior match and bonuses for reaching certain game milestones (ie. they’ll earn a $12,000 bonus if they play over 15 games).

Those figures, under the CBA, will increase for their second year in 2020, with the base salary jumping to anywhere between $100,000 and $130,000, depending on the amount of games the players have played in their first season in 2019. (The full player payment breakdown can be viewed in the CBA on the AFL Players’ Association’s website.)"

I hadn’t even considered the monetary side of things, just the likelihood that for the players in the categories I mentioned it will likely rob them of their last chance (or only chance) to prove themselves.

The ‘good’ news on the part you covered, is that will be one area where clubs will save a little bit of money.

bornadog
15-03-2020, 10:11 PM
AFL season still in doubt ahead of key Monday meetings (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-season-still-in-doubt-ahead-of-key-monday-meetings-20200315-p54ab0.html)

​Senior club officials believe the start of the season remains in doubt ahead of a critical day of meetings - including an extraordinary teleconference featuring the entire AFL playing cohort - in which players coaches and officials will be briefed on the AFL's plans for a radically revamped fixture to deal with the brunt of the coronavirus.

Club sources said it may only take one or a handful of positive coronavirus tests for round one matches to be cancelled, which would throw into disarray the league's proposals to cram as much football as possible into the early part of the season before the spread of the virus forces the game into hiatus.

A sense of uncertainty was the prevailing feeling around the league on Sunday with the viability of round one still up in the air four days out from the scheduled season opener between Richmond and Carlton, slated to be played at an empty MCG on Thursday night.

The league has indicated to clubs its determination to play a full home-and-away fixture of 198 matches despite the very real threat of matches being postponed as the impact of coronavirus hits hard over the coming weeks and months.

Key club officials and players spoken to by The Age on Sunday were expecting the league would shed light on its plans across several meetings on Monday, including one featuring club general managers of football and a planned teleconference of senior coaches.

Players were also set to have their say on Monday via an online link-up of AFL Players’ Association club delegates, before a Monday night teleconference involving every AFL player in which players will be surveyed on their views, which can then be conveyed to the league.

Bracing for inevitable financial hardship as a result of the virus, the AFL is not planning on asking for a government stimulus package, unlike rugby league, which has called for a federal government bailout in the wake of the ban on mass public gatherings.

However, acutely aware of the potentially disastrous impact on the industry - including massive financial losses and potential job losses - the AFL has told clubs it is desperate to play as much of the season as possible. The jamming of matches in quick succession and with smaller than usual breaks for clubs is on the cards, with clubs expecting to learn more about the AFL’s novel fixture plans on Monday.

Key figures from non-Victorian clubs have floated the possibility that their teams could have extended early-season road trips to minimise travel. An example would be Fremantle staying in Melbourne to play three matches in 10 or 11 days.

Measures being discussed to help clubs manage these unprecedented playing demands include:

One club said on Sunday that it was hopeful the AFL would try to ensure that some blockbuster fixtures were left unplayed until later in the season in a bid to ease the financial pain, rather than being played behind closed doors in the coming weeks.

A senior club also said that the AFL has indicated to clubs that it is working closely with partner airline Virgin to protect and isolate players as much as possible when they travel interstate in coming weeks.

Clubs have gone into lockdown, banning visitors from entering their premises as the AFL looks to minimise the chances that players contract the disease.

However the situation remains perilous. Senior club figures, including some privy to the AFL’s medical plans for the virus, said on Sunday that given the fast-moving nature of the crisis, there was no guarantee that positive tests early this week wouldn’t then force the league’s hand and mean the season was postponed immediately, just as happened in the United States when NBA player Rudy Gobert tested positive.

Meanwhile the AFL is privately playing down the chances that the AFLW grand final could be expedited to ensure that a premiership is decided before coronavirus halts play. It has been mooted that Fremantle and North Melbourne - currently top of the respective AFLW conferences - could play off for the flag next weekend despite there being two rounds of the home and away season plus three weeks of finals still scheduled.

But the idea came as news to Dockers coach Trent Cooper after his side’s win over the Western Bulldogs at an empty Whitten Oval on Sunday.

mjp
16-03-2020, 11:29 AM
But the idea came as news to Dockers coach Trent Cooper after his side’s win over the Western Bulldogs at an empty Whitten Oval on Sunday.

This is my favourite part...it came as news to Coops. Umm - no it didn't because they were talking about it late last week...but if you play dumb at a press conference and the journos there have no relationship with you, then...

But - the AFL has discouraged any club with a male AFLW coach from putting them front and centre with regards to media...which is not really helping grow the game. Yesterday's game between our girls and Freo was awesome (well, not the result) but does anyone actually know that??

bornadog
16-03-2020, 12:39 PM
This is my favourite part...it came as news to Coops. Umm - no it didn't because they were talking about it late last week...but if you play dumb at a press conference and the journos there have no relationship with you, then...

The AFLW Grand Final?

That is what Trent was referring to

mjp
16-03-2020, 02:09 PM
The AFLW Grand Final?

That is what Trent was referring to

...and also what I was referring too.

Story and whispers won’t go away. Aflw gf THIS weekend.

Topdog
16-03-2020, 05:24 PM
They will pull it late this week. The curve isn't flattening at all because the Government took too long to respond.

You can't even get tested unless you have been in contact with someone that has tested positive.

Scraggers
16-03-2020, 06:46 PM
If the season does not go ahead, does this mean that teams with a chance this year have their Premiership windows closed slightly?

bornadog
16-03-2020, 06:47 PM
UPDATE:

* AFL boss Gillon McLachlan says state leagues season will be delayed until end of May

* AFL reduced to 17 games play everyone once

*Round one still up in the air, as is this week's AFLW round. Should know by end of tomorrow

* Looking at supplementary players

bornadog
16-03-2020, 06:52 PM
What the 2019 ladder would have looked like if teams hadn't played each other a 2nd time

13-4 GEEL
12-5 WCE
11-6 COLL
11-6 GWS
11-6 BRIS
11-6 RICH
9-8 PORT
9-8 WBD

9-8 FREM
8-9 HAW
8-9 ADEL
8-9 NTH
8-9 ESS
7-10 SYD
6-11 STK
5-12 MELB
4-13 CARL
3-14 GCS

bornadog
16-03-2020, 06:57 PM
First 4 weeks of fixture will remain the same, then the remaining 13 will be rejigged so everyone plays each other once.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-03-2020, 07:02 PM
What happens to the draft if there is no ladder?

Just hoping this doesn’t affect us getting JUM :)

GVGjr
16-03-2020, 07:34 PM
I think the AFL have got this right...well as right as you can in these troubling and testing times. A 17 round season makes the most sense

GVGjr
16-03-2020, 07:36 PM
What happens to the draft if there is no ladder?

Just hoping this doesn’t affect us getting JUM :)

We aren't there yet but I would imagine they would maintain the positions from last year

Scraggers
16-03-2020, 09:25 PM
I think the AFL have got this right...well as right as you can in these troubling and testing times. A 17 round season makes the most sense

A 17 round season has made sense for a long long time ... it's a shame it took a pandemic to bring it in.