PDA

View Full Version : Footy isn't far away

GVGjr
28-04-2020, 10:17 AM
All the media speculation is indicating the footy will be back in some form perhaps as early as June
I doubt there will be any crowd involvement but footy looks like it's back

Is anyone excited by this?

I also keep hearing that there will be an asterisk alongside any team that wins the competition this year but I dispute that
This will be a hell of a test for all clubs

I hope our players are ramping up their training as the return might not be too far away

bornadog
28-04-2020, 10:35 AM
I must admit it is hard to get excited, with no crowds, but I am still looking forward to it.

Players really have to change their mindset about the crowds. Mitch Robinson summed it up for many players when he said, round one felt like they were playing a practise match, and that is what our players looked like.

Having this isolation period may give players itchy feet and really can't wait to get going.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2020, 12:48 PM
It'll be something to watch - so that's a positive. A footy fix is always good, even if it was a practice game.

Am I excited? Not really. I would prefer we win - as always - but even if we did win the whole thing, while enjoyable, it wouldn't feel the same.

Hopefully the players feel differently and attack the season as they otherwise would, but on a personal level, I'm not sure I'll be as passionate about winning as I ordinarily would be.

comrade
28-04-2020, 12:50 PM
My missing of footy is balanced out by my fear of how undermanned our defense is so I'm kind of neutral to it all.

Axe Man
28-04-2020, 01:06 PM
Round 1 has really put a dampener on my enthusiasm. I know it was only 1 game but with our last 2 performances being nothing short of deplorable my confidence for the season has been shot. If we come out and start playing at a level more in line with our pre-season expectations I will get much more excited.

GVGjr
28-04-2020, 01:39 PM
My missing of footy is balanced out by my fear of how undermanned our defense is so I'm kind of neutral to it all.

I have to ask, we have essentially replaced Morris with Keath so why are undermanned now and not last year or during the trade period last year?

1eyedog
28-04-2020, 01:42 PM
Asterix or not it will be three premierships and it will still be three premierships until we win a fourth.

GVGjr
28-04-2020, 01:42 PM
Round 1 has really put a dampener on my enthusiasm. I know it was only 1 game but with our last 2 performances being nothing short of deplorable my confidence for the season has been shot. If we come out and start playing at a level more in line with our pre-season expectations I will get much more excited.

I think you are on to something there. Our performance in round one really seemed to sap the confidence of the supporter base for the 2020 season. While it was a poor performance, we should all be confident that we are vastly better than that

GVGjr
28-04-2020, 01:44 PM
It'll be something to watch - so that's a positive. A footy fix is always good, even if it was a practice game.

Am I excited? Not really. I would prefer we win - as always - but even if we did win the whole thing, while enjoyable, it wouldn't feel the same.

Hopefully the players feel differently and attack the season as they otherwise would, but on a personal level, I'm not sure I'll be as passionate about winning as I ordinarily would be.

I see this year as a significant challenge with the likely scenario of games being crammed together. Whoever wins it this year will have conquered a massive challenge

comrade
28-04-2020, 02:08 PM
I have to ask, we have essentially replaced Morris with Keath so why are undermanned now and not last year or during the trade period last year?

We were undermanned last year but were only exposed against better teams, or when our mids decide to phone it in. The same will happen until Naughton goes back.

bornadog
28-04-2020, 02:13 PM
We were undermanned last year but were only exposed against better teams, or when our mids decide to phone it in. The same will happen until Naughton goes back.

But we had the best defence in the AFL in the second half.

Our mids were the issue in the last two games, not defence.

GVGjr
28-04-2020, 02:42 PM

Were you actually pushing for us to trade for another key defender like Howard or did you just assume that because we flagged interest in Bruce that Naughton would automatically return to the back line?

The thing is that as a club we sold it to the members that we could play Naughton, Bruce and Schache alongside of each other in the forward line.

Mofra
28-04-2020, 02:42 PM

That defence included Trengove. The MC seem to have stamped his papers, given he hardly got a look in all pre-season.

GVGjr
28-04-2020, 03:09 PM
That defence included Trengove. The MC seem to have stamped his papers, given he hardly got a look in all pre-season.

Perplexing approach isn't it? If true then we should have made more list changes at the end of the season and addressed the area of concern

GVGjr
28-04-2020, 03:15 PM
One of the areas that the Essendon players struggled with including Crameri was while they could train and get the miles into their legs it was the lack of physicality of their training sessions and getting their bodies ready for the contact that footy provides. I hope that we have found a way of addressing that with our guys over over the last month or two

comrade
28-04-2020, 03:34 PM

No, our midfield become dominant and we bashed up on some teams. We protected our defence in the second half of the year.

Twodogs
28-04-2020, 03:43 PM
All the media speculation is indicating the footy will be back in some form perhaps as early as June
I doubt there will be any crowd involvement but footy looks like it's back

Is anyone excited by this?

I also keep hearing that there will be an asterisk alongside any team that wins the competition this year but I dispute that
This will be a hell of a test for all clubs

I hope our players are ramping up their training as the return might not be too far away

No asterisk for me. This will be a unique season and the premiership will be hard won.

Shakespeare would have said that a flag is a flag is a flag and any grand final win will still feel good.

bornadog
28-04-2020, 03:52 PM
No, our midfield become dominant and we bashed up on some teams. We protected our defence in the second half of the year.

But isn't that what footy is all about? If the ball is continually coming in, your defence is then under pressure.

Of course we have flaws in defence, just like any team.

Hotdog60
28-04-2020, 03:52 PM
One thing I gotten out of all this is from watching 2016 season again the good with the bad I have come to realise that how important two players were.
Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris. I'm only up to round 14 but these two and more so Boyd held a defence together. Yes Matty had some howlers in there but on the whole he drove the team to the finals.
What we lack is Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris and we haven't replaced them yet. We need an architect off the back line to guide us along and to point us in the right direction. No one in our current stocks does this.

bornadog
28-04-2020, 04:50 PM
John Ralph reporting:

Clubs have just been told under an AFL ruling that WA-based teams can still only train in pairs despite Brad Sheppard suggesting groups of 10 might train together under new state ruling. Clubs told by AFL they must maintain a level playing field

Dry Rot
28-04-2020, 08:53 PM
One of the areas that the Essendon players struggled with including Crameri was while they could train and get the miles into their legs it was the lack of physicality of their training sessions and getting their bodies ready for the contact that footy provides. I hope that we have found a way of addressing that with our guys over over the last month or two

Will every team be in the same boat? If so, will the style of footy across the comp be quite different this season?

Dry Rot
28-04-2020, 08:54 PM
Tom Harley of the Swans offered for Sydney to host the comp. :D

Dry Rot
28-04-2020, 08:55 PM
What if anything is happening with the VFL?

Twodogs
28-04-2020, 10:05 PM
What if anything is happening with the VFL?

Season has been cancelled outright. First time since WWI.

Dry Rot
28-04-2020, 10:33 PM
Season has been cancelled outright. First time since WWI.

Thanks.

That is real bad news for our marginal players, especially if they are out of contract.

Meanwhile, the NRL must be over the moon with their players getting together on the north coast, biking, shooting and partying while the NRL is trying to present a plan to responsibly restart.

chef
29-04-2020, 07:19 AM
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/1588073244229-png.866573/

20 weeks away from your kids is never going to work.

SonofScray
29-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Split down the middle.

It seems like an exercise in folly and has really emphasised the aspects of the league that I despise. However, I really want our Club to take steps forward and give us some joy. I probably won't be totally in favour until we can go with our families and friends. It's not "back" until we are all there, participating as a whole.

Professional football only exists because of fans. The game can exist so long as there is a ball and a few people to kick it.

SonofScray
29-04-2020, 09:14 AM

Exactly. This is where the industry's push irritates me. So desperate to get the gravy train rolling that they're trying to put the league above the stuff that really matters in life. Footy is special, I am missing it. But I don't see why the League and all the shit pundits and hangers on in a nasty, bloated industry should benefit at the expense of fans (not present) and players (put into completely different work environment). All for the sake of a compromised competition.

bornadog
29-04-2020, 10:37 AM

The alternative is to call off the season, no one gets paid as they are not at work, and most clubs go into huge debt.

I don't think they would be locked away for 20 weeks, I hear it is only 5 or so weeks.

Bloody prima donnas some of these players, starting with Dangerfield.

comrade
29-04-2020, 10:56 AM
The alternative is to call off the season, no one gets paid as they are not at work, and most clubs go into huge debt.

I don't think they would be locked away for 20 weeks, I hear it is only 5 or so weeks.

I'm sure they'll give players the option to opt out, so if Danger doesn't want to be away from his family for example - which he is well within his rights - there will be a hungry young kid ready to take his spot.

The Pie Man
29-04-2020, 11:44 AM

I read the responses to a twitter post from Tom Morris about this, and it echoes this view.

Sorry bad, but I couldn't be more disappointed with statements like that - and it's feeding into me feeling like I couldn't care less if this season starts again or not.

Dean Jones / Sam Groth can do one as well.

bornadog
29-04-2020, 11:57 AM
I'm sure they'll give players the option to opt out, so if Danger doesn't want to be away from his family for example - which he is well within his rights - there will be a hungry young kid ready to take his spot.

I guess that is what will happen. Of course players have the right to play or not. If you don't play, you don't get paid in my books.

The clubs are desperate for revenue and I don't want to see us go down if players decide they don't want to play.

Topdog
29-04-2020, 12:18 PM
I can't get excited at all about this. I mean I'm sure I will watch the games but just struggle to see the point to it.

The Underdog
29-04-2020, 01:44 PM
I can't get excited at all about this. I mean I'm sure I will watch the games but just struggle to see the point to it.

Pretty sure the point is revenue. Closely followed by content

hujsh
29-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Don't have kids so can only imagine it's hard being away but... plenty of people do it longer for less...

Eastdog
29-04-2020, 05:17 PM

Yes pretty much sums it up for me as well TBB.

bornadog
29-04-2020, 05:30 PM
Coronavirus impact: Why AFL players have a responsibility to accept hub model (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/coronavirus-impact-why-afl-players-have-a-responsibility-to-accept-hub-model-c-1005887)

I’m sure no players like the idea of hubs, but if that is what Australia’s best medical experts are putting forward to the AFL as the only appropriate measure then they have to accept it.

These are unprecedented times, requiring radical and unprecedented measures.

Current players are faced with extremely difficult decisions, and every individual will have their own different circumstances that they need to work through.

Family should and always will come first, and if a player decides he doesn’t want to go into an isolation hub for an extended period of time then the supporters, his teammates and the club would not begrudge anyone for that.

St Kilda coach Brett Ratten has already suggested as much, saying the club would respect the decision of any player who wanted to stay home with their wives and kids.

“Somebody could say, ‘It’s too hard for me mentally to leave my wife and kids or not to see my kids and we would respect that,” Ratten told SEN on Monday.

“At the end of the day, this is a situation and a season like no other.

“The health of our people and the mental health of our people is first and foremost.

“If that meant somebody said they weren’t playing, we would respect that.”

However, the current-day players have found themselves playing the game in a historic moment in time - a time that will shape and ultimately impact the fate and future of the game we all love.

With that comes an enormous responsibility, a responsibility that quite frankly has never fallen on a playing group before.

And while the natural immediate reaction is to think of how it will impact oneself, there needs to be a bigger, broader view on this.

This is not just about them and their club any more. This has ramifications for the whole industry, to the game’s viability going forward and the next generation of players, sponsors, supporters, umpires - everyone the game employs directly or indirectly.

Every player who has played the game has enjoyed and benefited from it, largely because of the players and coaches who went before.

Now, as the current custodians of the game, it is their turn to potentially sacrifice more than they would ever have thought possible, to make sure the game gets through this and comes out the other side.

Apart from this great level of responsibility, many players will simply need to get a season away to help them earn a living and potentially extend their careers beyond this year.

Every week two-thirds of the playing list are fighting to get a game each week, with little security week to week or year to year.

With talk of smaller playing lists and reduced salary cap spend in the future this will be some players’ only opportunity to prove their worth to their clubs and opposition sides who could be their future employers.

If I were a playing today my mindset would be that the alternative of sitting out a season far outweighs the discomfort of playing from a hub.

As hard as it might be, players can look back at this 2020 season with a great sense of pride and enduring memory.

While lighter in the pocket, they will be richer for knowing that their sacrifices helped the game navigate its way through its toughest period and ensured its survival.

mjp
29-04-2020, 10:16 PM
I pretty much always side with the players but I think they are wrong here.

40000 hospitality workers in WA alone were stood down 5 weeks ago. Some are eligible for Job Keeper. But a lot (due to the nature of the industry) are not. Six of my eleven staff are on JobKeeper - 5 are NOT ELIGIBLE are therefore battling along on a CentreLink allowance. FIFO workers - of which there are a lot in my state - have almost to a person had their rosters changed to double the time away from their families, and interstate/NZ-based workers have been forced to permanently (well, permanent for now) relocate to WA.

There is a compromise position available here. I accept a lot of what the players are saying in terms of being away from family - hell, one reason I am no longer in the IT industry was the continuous interstate and international travel that took me away from home - but there are compromise positions that can be reached. Expecting the clubs/AFL to fund their families to be relocated is just not realistic - besides, some families will have kids at school, working wives etc who simply cannot relocate...

Just like my old boss in IT land hated sending me overseas to client sites at short notice, I don't think the AFL went into 2020 saying 'You know what we could do this year? Make the lives of our key employees miserable by taking them away from their families'. But just like I once upon a time had to, they really do need to acknowledge the overall impact this has had on the community and take a 'I am prepared to do whatever it takes to get things going again' approach.

To those people saying it's only a game and it isn't that important and let's just shut it down until 2021, well...footy is a big part of what makes life 'normal'. Watching with your mates on Friday night, talking about it in the workplace, listening to radio/podcasts, tv, etc...it grounds people and people need 'grounding'. If the footy is being played, it means some of those hospitality workers are closer to going back to work...hell, it will mean a lot of people in a lot of industries are closer to going back to work.

I personally think that Dangerfield is a terrible spokesperson for the players - he simply is not a popular figure amongst supporters (though he seems completely unaware of this fact) and this has not helped his messaging. I am sure the AFL gave a 'little more' than they otherwise would have in the pay deal - the fact the players will effectively receive 65% of their contracts even if they don't play another game this year is simply not appropriate given the current economic circumstances - because they "knew" something like this (the hubs) was going to happen and they were going to need the support of the players...NOW is the time for the players to step up and acknowledge that.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-04-2020, 09:21 AM

40000 hospitality workers in WA alone were stood down 5 weeks ago. Some are eligible for Job Keeper. But a lot (due to the nature of the industry) are not. Six of my eleven staff are on JobKeeper - 5 are NOT ELIGIBLE are therefore battling along on a CentreLink allowance. FIFO workers - of which there are a lot in my state - have almost to a person had their rosters changed to double the time away from their families, and interstate/NZ-based workers have been forced to permanently (well, permanent for now) relocate to WA.

There is a compromise position available here. I accept a lot of what the players are saying in terms of being away from family - hell, one reason I am no longer in the IT industry was the continuous interstate and international travel that took me away from home - but there are compromise positions that can be reached. Expecting the clubs/AFL to fund their families to be relocated is just not realistic - besides, some families will have kids at school, working wives etc who simply cannot relocate...

Just like my old boss in IT land hated sending me overseas to client sites at short notice, I don't think the AFL went into 2020 saying 'You know what we could do this year? Make the lives of our key employees miserable by taking them away from their families'. But just like I once upon a time had to, they really do need to acknowledge the overall impact this has had on the community and take a 'I am prepared to do whatever it takes to get things going again' approach.

To those people saying it's only a game and it isn't that important and let's just shut it down until 2021, well...footy is a big part of what makes life 'normal'. Watching with your mates on Friday night, talking about it in the workplace, listening to radio/podcasts, tv, etc...it grounds people and people need 'grounding'. If the footy is being played, it means some of those hospitality workers are closer to going back to work...hell, it will mean a lot of people in a lot of industries are closer to going back to work.

I personally think that Dangerfield is a terrible spokesperson for the players - he simply is not a popular figure amongst supporters (though he seems completely unaware of this fact) and this has not helped his messaging. I am sure the AFL gave a 'little more' than they otherwise would have in the pay deal - the fact the players will effectively receive 65% of their contracts even if they don't play another game this year is simply not appropriate given the current economic circumstances - because they "knew" something like this (the hubs) was going to happen and they were going to need the support of the players...NOW is the time for the players to step up and acknowledge that.

Agreed. I’m in IT as well and always dread having to go interstate for projects. I sense it coming sometimes so I understand why the players would be against it. But if it’s that vs not earning a living then common sense needs to apply.

BTW what do you do now MJP?

bornadog
30-04-2020, 09:55 AM
Agreed. I’m in IT as well and always dread having to go interstate for projects. I sense it coming sometimes so I understand why the players would be against it. But if it’s that vs not earning a living then common sense needs to apply.

BTW what do you do now MJP?

https://round1fitness.com.au/

GVGjr
30-04-2020, 12:44 PM

Above touches on a lot of my reservations about footballers playing the homesick card when they get drafted interstate and then decide (normally after a superior financial offer) that they desperately need to get back home and then want their club to release them on companionate grounds no matter if a fair deal can be struck or not.
We must be the only professional competition that continually bends to that nonsense. All the players know going into the draft that there is a strong chance they could be picked up and have to move interstate but want to challenge it once they've established themselves. If you can't adapt to the demands of the industry you work in then find a less demanding industry that meets your work life balance expectations. Footballers can always play at a lower level if they can't meet the professional requirements.

With this current issue, I get being away from home for a length of time is going to be a significant challenge for some players but for many they will simply learn to adapt. If you can't go, then step aside and allow others the opportunity.
I won't be critical of any player who won't go in to a playing hub but given this is an unprecedented time they need to give this a long and hard thought and need to be comfortable that they won't be paid.
It's not the time for the players to be adding to the cost of the clubs by insisting their family comes with them and expecting the club to pick up the tab.

I get the reservations but for most players they will know now if it's a yes or no situation for them

GVGjr
30-04-2020, 02:51 PM
I'm hearing that the chances of Hubs being in place is reducing. There could be some exemptions for travel for AFL players

There still might be a Hubs in place for a couple of 2 week periods (teams play 3 games) but I'm hearing there might be a way around having to have players away from their homes for a 3 or 4 week period.

Mofra
30-04-2020, 02:57 PM
I'm hearing that the chances of Hubs being in place is reducing. There could be some exemptions for travel for AFL players

There still might be a Hubs in place for a couple of 2 week periods (teams play 3 games) but I'm hearing there might be a way around having to have players away from their homes for a 3 or 4 week period.
Well if they quarantine Richmond to the MCG would anyone even notice?

Eastdog
01-05-2020, 03:05 PM
PM about to speak. Said he might address some stuff about sports return.

Eastdog
01-05-2020, 03:14 PM
Pretty sure the point is revenue. Closely followed by content

Yep for the broadcasting money.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-05-2020, 03:16 PM
For mine the game comes first, it is what provides the players with their fantastic income and prestige.
The players are well remunerated for the demands of the game and there are plenty of careers that involve periods of absence from family. The need for safe practice of the game is a very valid reason to have hubs.
If individual players wish to not ply their trade then they forgo their right to be paid for that period and replacement players should be recruited.
If hubs provide a safe scenario then the game must be played. The benefit to clubs, supporters, society and the players is enormous. We can beat this thing.

Murphy'sLore
01-05-2020, 03:23 PM
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, yes, there are plenty of careers that require periods of absence from family. But under normal conditions, the wife and young kids of a player would be able to draw on the support of extended family, grandparents, friends etc while their partner is away. That's not possible at the moment.

So I have some sympathy for players who might be reluctant to leave their spouses coping alone with little kids and probably work for an extended period. The players chose this profession, the partners didn't.

Axe Man
01-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, yes, there are plenty of careers that require periods of absence from family. But under normal conditions, the wife and young kids of a player would be able to draw on the support of extended family, grandparents, friends etc while their partner is away. That's not possible at the moment.

So I have some sympathy for players who might be reluctant to leave their spouses coping alone with little kids and probably work for an extended period. The players chose this profession, the partners didn't.

Those visiting restrictions are already being lifted in other states and are likely to be lifted in Victoria in the coming weeks (fingers crossed). Family and friends can already care for children in Victoria at least as well.

The players are also enjoying (or enduring) family time at the moment they would never normally have the opportunity to experience as they would normally be training, playing and travelling to games. Swings and roundabouts.

The 20 week hub thing is a worst case scenario anyway. With any luck that won't be required.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-05-2020, 04:36 PM

I agree Murph's Lore that this is a major consideration for a small minority if players and their families. They may choose to withold their services accordingly. Most players do not have children and even fewer have multiple children. Grant them a seasons leave if so chosen or part thereof and have recruitment of replacements to allow the game and its associated benefits to proceed. The loss of income from a season cancelled would have devastating consequences including loss of career for many employees in the industry.

mjp
01-05-2020, 07:28 PM

I get it Murph but how is this different to the example I already provided of the 10's of '000's of FIFO workers in exactly the same situation...

Murphy'sLore
02-05-2020, 04:08 PM
I get it Murph but how is this different to the example I already provided of the 10's of '000's of FIFO workers in exactly the same situation...

Yes, it's a fair point. FIFO isn't great for families either.

Bulldog4life
09-05-2020, 02:37 PM
I agree with MJP about Dangerfield not being a good spokesman for the players Association. He is looked upon as a Figjam type and those type of leaders are never any good. Sport, politics or business.

bornadog
11-05-2020, 12:20 PM
From Wednesday, in Victoria, teams can train in groups of 10. Footy a month away.

Eastdog
11-05-2020, 12:22 PM
From Wednesday, in Victoria, teams can train in groups of 10. Footy a month away.

Will they be making some announcements tomorrow the AFL in terms of actual dates?

GVGjr
11-05-2020, 12:29 PM
The AFL has now been given the best chance to kick start the season but this needs to be consistent across all states

Hopefully our players are ready to hit the ground running

GVGjr
11-05-2020, 02:36 PM
The other thing that keeps getting discussed the issue around hubs and the likely scenario that if they are implemented it will only be for a short term to get the season moving.

It will be interesting to hear from the club on how things are progressing for us.

Eastdog
11-05-2020, 08:31 PM
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2020-victoria-announces-state-open-for-professional-sport/news-story/82c4a0ae92d42073745e2268d47510e0

AFL 2020: Victoria announces state open for professional sport
MAY 11, 2020 12:41PM
AFL: Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has cleared the path for the AFL to return with new training exemptions announced.
news.com.au

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews has confirmed professional sporting organisations will be allowed to begin training from 11.59pm (AEST) on Tuesday night.
Andrews said in a press briefing on Monday the move opens the door for footy to be back.

The special exemption for professional sporting organisations to begin training in large groups came as Victoria also relaxed restrictions to allow groups of up to 10 people to exercise together in the community.

The AFL, however, has been given the green light for its teams in Victoria to train together as one unit.

The clearance further complicates the AFL’s headache for a return to training with some interstate clubs still waiting for some players to complete their mandatory two-week quarantines after returning from interstate.

The move brings Victoria into line with other states, with the AFL now able to lift the training limit in the state from two people if and when it chooses. The AFL has previously limited players from all clubs to training in pairs despite some state governments — including South Australia and Western Australia — allowing for larger groups.

The league said that ruling was for the sake of competitive fairness, with the 10 Victorian clubs limited by their state government’s restrictions. But clubs are now hopeful the AFL-imposed training limit will be lifted to 10 within days.

The move to allow Victoria-based AFL clubs and the Melbourne Storm to begin training from Wednesday clears the way for the 2020 AFL season to resume on June 11, according to reports.

Andrews said it is up to the individual sporting organisations to announce their own plans — but was proud to suggest the announcement clears the way for footy to be back in coming weeks.

“Professional sport, after all it is a workplace, there’s been a lot of work between the AFL and the public health team and we have agreed to a set of arrangements that will allow training for AFL, for rugby league, for other professional sports to resume just before midnight tomorrow night,” Andrews said.

“Of course with that happening, once training is up and running again, that paves the way for the AFL and other codes to make announcements.

“Training returning paves the way for footy to be back and I think we all want that provided its safe, appropriate and can be done in a cautious way and I’m confident it can be.”

The AFL Commission is also meeting on Monday and the league is expected to announce its framework for the return to play as early as Monday evening.

The league has already confirmed the 2020 season will be shortened to a 17-round competition with a full finals fixture.

The AFL will have to work its return-to-play plans around Western Australia’s hard border controls as West Coast and Fremantle prepare to restart the season with extended runs of matches away from home.

WA Premier Mark McGowan on Sunday reaffirmed his government’s commitment to existing border and quarantine rules as part of the state’s bid to maintain a low rate of COVID-19 infection.

McGowan declared the border controls would be “the last thing to come down” as he revealed a staged plan for WA to gradually ease coronavirus restrictions. It means the Eagles and Dockers are increasingly likely to be required to temporarily relocate to Melbourne in order to restart the season, which could resume as early as June 11.

But there is some hope they could be given a quarantine exemption to fly in and out of their regular bases if the AFL can satisfy the WA government and police that it would be safe to do so.

The AFL will outline its return-to-play plan and club protocols in the coming days.

Gold Coast chief executive Mark Evans expects the AFL will deliver the first phase of the revised fixture list and leave room for flexibility later in the season.

“We might get an announcement from the AFL around a start date and a proposed way forward, but we might get a month into the season and maybe restrictions have eased even further and we’ve got other options,” Evans told ABC Grandstand on Sunday.

“The prudent way forward is to give people a look at the first half of the season and to hold over (the rest in case) restrictions have eased.” Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt on Sunday said the AFL has worked “incredibly well in laying out a pathway” for its restart, including consulting with government and health authorities.

“I think we’ll get the footy back pretty soon,” Hunt told Sky Sunday Agenda. “I’ll leave the dates to the particular states that are reviewing the plan but they are putting forward careful plans.”

— with AAP

GVGjr
12-05-2020, 12:57 PM
While it's not the same without the fans attending games, I'm starting to get a little excited about the footy restarting

I wonder if our guys are primed for the return

GVGjr
12-05-2020, 01:02 PM
Did I hear Whateley correctly?

"No AFL player will be permitted to play state leagues this season."

Doesn't that change things for the season ahead

comrade
12-05-2020, 02:53 PM

I hope we rotate our squad and give opportunities to everyone on the list to play this year, even if it means not being as competitive as we could be.

This year is a write off for me, and anyone who wins the 'flag' (if you want to call it that this year) has a giant asterix next to it.

Eastdog
12-05-2020, 03:00 PM
I hope we rotate our squad and give opportunities to everyone on the list to play this year, even if it means not being as competitive as we could be.

This year is a write off for me, and anyone who wins the 'flag' (if you want to call it that this year) has a giant asterix next to it.

Similar feelings with this season as well comrade. Just won’t be the same this year particularly without the fans.

GVGjr
12-05-2020, 03:13 PM

I see this as the biggest test of any season. The teams that read this challenge the best will be the significant participants when it counts

comrade
12-05-2020, 03:54 PM
I see this as the biggest test of any season. The teams that read this challenge the best will be the significant participants when it counts

Sport is as much mental as anything, and I sympathise with the players if they're unable to get in the right psychological state to perform at their best. I'm also probably a bit flat given I know our team isn't really good enough, based on losing 3 of the last 4 competitive games we've played in all pretty much the same way.

If there was one year to tank...

Axe Man
12-05-2020, 04:15 PM

State league ban: 'Scratch matches' an option for non-selected players (https://www.afl.com.au/news/433234/state-league-ban-scratch-matches-an-option-for-non-selected-players)

FOOTBALLERS not selected for their AFL side this year could instead compete in scratch matches against players in the same position at other clubs.

The AFL is understood to be contemplating alternative playing arrangements after telling clubs on Tuesday that no AFL footballers will be permitted to play in second-tier competitions in 2020.

That decision is based upon the part-time nature of those competitions not enabling AFL-listed players to adhere to the strict medical protocols that will be in place this season.

It's believed the AFL is also in regular dialogue with all state leagues across the country on the scenarios relating to them playing this year.

The move to consider scratch matches for overlooked AFL footballers means they will potentially be able to push their case for senior selection beyond just training.

It will help ease the fears of fringe players, particularly those out of contract, who could have been faced with the possibility of playing no football in 2020.

However, there are complications with this set-up, given the length of injury lists and number of available players can be drastically different from club to club.

That could lead to condensed games, less players on each team, or possibly even a situation where footballers on rival clubs might play alongside one another if necessary.

Any such matches would be held in a controlled environment, in line with AFL and government guidelines.

comrade
12-05-2020, 04:22 PM
I might have missed it, but what's the go with junior footy? Is NAB League still a chance?

Axe Man
12-05-2020, 04:34 PM
I might have missed it, but what's the go with junior footy? Is NAB League still a chance?

Don't think it's been decided yet but there was talk of this:

Clubs pitch a combined VFL-NAB League season to AFL (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/vfl/clubs-pitch-a-combined-vflnab-league-season-to-afl/news-story/df2f8750a47b28c1a75462f68da0ae7b)

VFL and NAB League teams could play in a combined competition in the second half of the season under a plan being kicked around by state league clubs.

VFL officials are floating the idea of adding under-18 talent to the league and playing 10 rounds and finals.

They see it as a way of getting the VFL back on the ground while showcasing draft prospects to AFL recruiters.

TV coverage would be essential to help cover the running costs.

It’s understood some VFL clubs have pitched the concept to the AFL, which is sounding out Channel 7.

AFL football managers and recruiters have also been alerted to the proposal.

“They (football managers) believe it’s got plenty of merit, if it can get off the ground,’’ a VFL official said this morning.

“It will hinge on a broadcast, to generate some commercial revenue.’’

The five stand-alones – Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Williamstown and Werribee – and aligned clubs Box Hill Hawks, Sandringham and Casey Demons would make up an eight-team competition.

The clubs believe the recruiting aspect of it would add relevance and meaning to the season, highlighting draft prospects.

The idea is for top-age NAB League players to be attached to the VFL teams and “give them every opportunity to get in front of AFL recruiters’’, the VFL official said.

“Games livestreamed, stats, vision provided to AFL clubs, put all that into the equation,’’ he said.

“This is genuinely what is being considered, and it has plenty of merit in terms of servicing the talent pathway for 2020.

“It would generate amazing content in the lead-up to the draft, similar to the content for the NFL draft.’’

The VFL clubs are keen to rescue the season but without crowds are concerned they won’t be able to pay their bills.

On Monday Sandringham secretary and AFL Victoria life member Dennis Galimberti declared the Zebras would have to ask their players to play for free unless the AFL was prepared to bankroll an abbreviated season.

He said VFL clubs relied on match-day revenue.

The AFL is yet to give any indication on a return to VFL and NAB League action.

But some recruiters have already lodged formal submissions to the AFL about aligning VFL and NAB League clubs as a way forward.

Under one proposal merged VFL and NAB League clubs would have Under 18 and VFL sides but the same administration and coaching teams.

They believe it would be a significant cost-saving and avoid a duplication of coaches, with coaches forced out of AFL clubs likely to drop back to lower levels.

For example, the Geelong Falcons might link with Werribee, the Eastern Ranges with Box Hill and the Calder Cannons with Coburg.

As one recruiter said today, “It would save a fortune long-term and keep alive the spirit and tradition of clubs who have fought for 100 years”.

Some recruiters and NAB League clubs are also frustrated with the lack of diversity on the AFL’s new talent pathway committee.

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson is on the AFL’s new talent pathway group and has already complained of the “elitist” system that funnels kids into the NAB League and AFL pathways.

He is joined by former Hawks assistants and administrators Damien Hardwick, Chris Fagan and Luke Beveridge, with NAB League clubs worried they will be affected despite outstanding results with 60 per cent of recent draftees coming from that competition.

GVGjr
12-05-2020, 04:41 PM
Sport is as much mental as anything, and I sympathise with the players if they're unable to get in the right psychological state to perform at their best. I'm also probably a bit flat given I know our team isn't really good enough, based on losing 3 of the last 4 competitive games we've played in all pretty much the same way.

If there was one year to tank...

Their mindset should be to be the best prepared they can so I'm certainly not as sympathetic or willing to cut them too much slack.
So many people did that after the GF. There should be no gap years in the AFL in terms of showing up and doing their best

comrade
12-05-2020, 04:45 PM
Don't think it's been decided yet but there was talk of this:

Clubs pitch a combined VFL-NAB League season to AFL (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/vfl/clubs-pitch-a-combined-vflnab-league-season-to-afl/news-story/df2f8750a47b28c1a75462f68da0ae7b)

VFL and NAB League teams could play in a combined competition in the second half of the season under a plan being kicked around by state league clubs.

VFL officials are floating the idea of adding under-18 talent to the league and playing 10 rounds and finals.

They see it as a way of getting the VFL back on the ground while showcasing draft prospects to AFL recruiters.

TV coverage would be essential to help cover the running costs.

It’s understood some VFL clubs have pitched the concept to the AFL, which is sounding out Channel 7.

AFL football managers and recruiters have also been alerted to the proposal.

“They (football managers) believe it’s got plenty of merit, if it can get off the ground,’’ a VFL official said this morning.

“It will hinge on a broadcast, to generate some commercial revenue.’’

The five stand-alones – Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Williamstown and Werribee – and aligned clubs Box Hill Hawks, Sandringham and Casey Demons would make up an eight-team competition.

The clubs believe the recruiting aspect of it would add relevance and meaning to the season, highlighting draft prospects.

The idea is for top-age NAB League players to be attached to the VFL teams and “give them every opportunity to get in front of AFL recruiters’’, the VFL official said.

“Games livestreamed, stats, vision provided to AFL clubs, put all that into the equation,’’ he said.

“This is genuinely what is being considered, and it has plenty of merit in terms of servicing the talent pathway for 2020.

“It would generate amazing content in the lead-up to the draft, similar to the content for the NFL draft.’’

The VFL clubs are keen to rescue the season but without crowds are concerned they won’t be able to pay their bills.

On Monday Sandringham secretary and AFL Victoria life member Dennis Galimberti declared the Zebras would have to ask their players to play for free unless the AFL was prepared to bankroll an abbreviated season.

He said VFL clubs relied on match-day revenue.

The AFL is yet to give any indication on a return to VFL and NAB League action.

But some recruiters have already lodged formal submissions to the AFL about aligning VFL and NAB League clubs as a way forward.

Under one proposal merged VFL and NAB League clubs would have Under 18 and VFL sides but the same administration and coaching teams.

They believe it would be a significant cost-saving and avoid a duplication of coaches, with coaches forced out of AFL clubs likely to drop back to lower levels.

For example, the Geelong Falcons might link with Werribee, the Eastern Ranges with Box Hill and the Calder Cannons with Coburg.

As one recruiter said today, “It would save a fortune long-term and keep alive the spirit and tradition of clubs who have fought for 100 years”.

Some recruiters and NAB League clubs are also frustrated with the lack of diversity on the AFL’s new talent pathway committee.

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson is on the AFL’s new talent pathway group and has already complained of the “elitist” system that funnels kids into the NAB League and AFL pathways.

He is joined by former Hawks assistants and administrators Damien Hardwick, Chris Fagan and Luke Beveridge, with NAB League clubs worried they will be affected despite outstanding results with 60 per cent of recent draftees coming from that competition.

That sounds like a terrible arrangement.

bornadog
12-05-2020, 05:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXy1Hf3WoAEJnX7?format=jpg&name=medium

GVGjr
12-05-2020, 05:33 PM
That's big news. I suspect we are going to be extending the IC bench because it's going to be harder to run players into form

Does anything think a reduced playing list will be next?

bornadog
12-05-2020, 06:08 PM
AFL Plans thrown into disarray as SA health authorities refuse travel exemption for Crows and Port Adelaide (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-plans-thrown-into-disarray-as-sa-health-authorities-refuse-travel-exemption-for-crows-and-port-adelaide-c-1032526)

7NEWS

SA health authorities have refused to allow travel exemptions for the state’s AFL clubs.

Plans to see AFL’s return could be under threat as South Australian health authorities slam the brakes on interstate travel exemptions.

In an email between itself and the AFL, seen by 7NEWS, SA Health has ruled out any changes to the state’s current 14-day quarantine requirement for those crossing the borders.

Without an exemption, visiting teams would be required to stay locked up for a fortnight before they play.

The rule would also force Crows and Port Adelaide players to self-isolate for two weeks each time they returned from interstate.

The decision means there’s little chance any matches could be played in South Australia.

SA Health says adhering to protocols is critical in considering a return to play.

With the AFL poised to release a roadmap for footy’s return as early as tomorrow, the league is reportedly furious with Tuesday’s official response.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has given the state’s 10 AFL clubs special exemptions to train in large groups, provided they are contained to exclusive facilities.

AFL chiefs had been hoping for a fly-in fly-out option but that now appears to be off the cards for South Australia.

However, health officials want to work with the AFL on safe ways to allow players to engage in specific, risk-managed activities including training and matches.

7NEWS understands the league is now considering its options.

GVGjr
12-05-2020, 07:23 PM
Well that is a significant hurdle to overcome

Twodogs
12-05-2020, 07:29 PM
Their mindset should be to be the best prepared they can so I'm certainly not as sympathetic or willing to cut them too much slack.
So many people did that after the GF. There should be no gap years in the AFL in terms of showing up and doing their best

Agree strongly. The only asterix I see alongside the team that wins this year's flag means they adapted better to the most unusual circumstances of any other season ever.

Hotdog60
12-05-2020, 07:33 PM
Could the AFL rebrand this season and play a Victorian completion and not have it for premiership points so this Grand Final is null and void. More a local mini comp.
Players get to play and TV get to televise something.

josie
12-05-2020, 08:24 PM
Could the AFL rebrand this season and play a Victorian completion and not have it for premiership points so this Grand Final is null and void. More a local mini comp.

Love the lateral thinking - perhaps Qld and NSW might be amenable too. Just not SA & possibly not WA. I think SA and WA players - hopefully enough of them, would prefer to live in Vic to play but I might be wrong.

1eyedog
12-05-2020, 09:27 PM

Errrrk, vomit.

I would much rather a void season than something as meaningless as this. Would be crap to cop 12 month injuries this year for the sake of the AFEL and FOX / 7. I mean would you really watch this?

Sedat
12-05-2020, 09:41 PM
Playing to packed out crowds up in the NT is the best suggestion I have heard so far. Have all 18 teams in the top end enoying the sunshine and mixing freely with society as a result of the lack of lockdowns up there. It is as normal an environment for the players as is possible, the weather is glorious and it is the fairest possible compromise for all 18 teams. Everything else seems too contrived or logistically unfair for some teams and players. It also has the full backing of the Chief Minister of the NT.

bornadog
14-05-2020, 05:09 PM
Four AFL teams likely headed to Queensland to restart season (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/four-afl-teams-likely-headed-to-queensland-to-restart-season-20200514-p54t0h.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it)

The AFL will announce its return-to-play plan tomorrow.

GVGjr
14-05-2020, 07:59 PM
As difficult as this season will be I see it as a great opportunity for any club willing to put it all on the line to win this
A season of myth-busting potential
For example, when playing interstate there is a belief that parochial crowds sway the umpires. This year that will be myth will be busted

I believe the club that best sees a vision for this season will be hard to beat. The coaches may not have as many sports scientists holding them back and the players have had a golden opportunity to practice things like their goal kicking or work on any flaws in their game.
Most clubs will have minimal injuries to their playing list, players that have been slightly on the outer can now push their claims forward by arriving back at the club in the best condition they can and the coaches should easily be able to sell the vision of what can be achieved this year if they all crack in.

Bevo has to be leading our players with the most positive of mind sets. The season is there for the taking

Axe Man
15-05-2020, 10:58 AM
AFL announcement at 12:45pm today.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-05-2020, 12:22 PM
AFL announcement at 12:45pm today.

Good. Can't wait for footy to start.. I'm getting sick of Foxtel showing all the matches where we've had opposition players kick bags of goals on us.
They have shown Sumich smashing us, Gary Lyon, Kernahan (twice), and Dunstall. Not to mention the gut wrenching loss against Geelong in the 94 Qualifying Final.

I haven't seen them show any of Templeton's or Beasley's hauls. Guess maybe they don't have footage.

Axe Man
15-05-2020, 12:29 PM
Good. Can't wait for footy to start.. I'm getting sick of Foxtel showing all the matches where we've had opposition players kick bags of goals on us.
They have shown Sumich smashing us, Gary Lyon, Kernahan (twice), and Dunstall. Not to mention the gut wrenching loss against Geelong in the 94 Qualifying Final.

I haven't seen them show any of Templeton's or Beasley's hauls. Guess maybe they don't have footage.

If they get around to Majak Daw I'm cancelling my subscription.

Surely they have footage of Barry Hall kicking a few for us.

Sedat
15-05-2020, 01:02 PM
If they get around to Majak Daw I'm cancelling my subscription.
We still have Marty McGrath, Luke Vogels, Nigel Fiegert and Eddie Sainsbury in the vault ready to be unleashed

Happy Days
15-05-2020, 01:12 PM

Something I found astonishing that I learned during the quarantine is that there's next to no game footage of Dunstall kicking 17.5. Surely they were recording every game by then.

GVGjr
15-05-2020, 01:25 PM
I'm hearing we will be playing North on a Sunday

Axe Man
15-05-2020, 01:33 PM
I'm hearing we will be playing North on a Sunday

That's going to be must win, can't afford to lose to middling sides in a truncated season.

bornadog
15-05-2020, 01:57 PM
* Monday 18th full training

* 25th of May - full contact

* Games start June 11th

* All players to be fully tested

* Full fixture yet to release, but will be soon.

* WA and SA teams to relocate to Gold Coast at this stage. Players can host family.

* Fixture to be flexible.

GVGjr
15-05-2020, 02:02 PM
That's going to be must win, can't afford to lose to middling sides in a truncated season.

If correct, how do we handle Goldy?

Have to play Trengove in my opinion to cover both Brown and Goldy

Eastdog
15-05-2020, 02:35 PM
It is good to have some footy back even if the season has been compromised. Look forward to starting some game day threads again. Carn the Dogs!!

comrade
15-05-2020, 02:35 PM
The whole thing is a mess.

Hubs, flexible fixtures...

Just give every kid and fringe player a game, tank for pick 1 and get this debacle over with.

GVGjr
15-05-2020, 02:39 PM

Just give every kid and fringe player a game, tank for pick 1 and get this debacle over with.

Or go all out and take on the biggest challenge we have ever seen while others take a couple of months to get organised.
It's there for the taking not the tanking and we should go hard for it.

I get the sentiment but stuff it

Axe Man
15-05-2020, 02:40 PM
If correct, how do we handle Goldy?

Have to play Trengove in my opinion to cover both Brown and Goldy

God knows. Hope the mids practice sharking opposition taps when we go back to training.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Trengove.

Axe Man
15-05-2020, 02:40 PM

Yeah, nah. Once the game is on I don't ever want to lose, ever. I can't not care.

GVGjr
15-05-2020, 03:29 PM
God knows. Hope the mids practice sharking opposition taps when we go back to training.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Trengove.

Neither will I but I'd be picking him

Prince Imperial
15-05-2020, 03:51 PM
You can forget about us now getting the commercially attractive draw (with plenty of Friday and Saturday night matches) we were given for this season given the debacle from our coaches and players in Round 1.

Axe Man
15-05-2020, 04:45 PM
You can forget about us now getting the commercially attractive draw (with plenty of Friday and Saturday night matches) we were given for this season given the debacle from our coaches and players in Round 1.

The thing is the fixture is going to be a moving object, they won't be scheduling the whole season from the start. We will have the opportunity to erase that debacle if we are good enough and earn some attractive time slots. Not that we should be condemned to Sunday twilight for one bad game anyway.

Happy Days
15-05-2020, 04:46 PM

Yeah but it's still footy. Watered down footy is still footy and footy rocks.

Footy.

bornadog
15-05-2020, 05:27 PM
The thing is the fixture is going to be a moving object, they won't be scheduling the whole season from the start. We will have the opportunity to erase that debacle if we are good enough and earn some attractive time slots. Not that we should be condemned to Sunday twilight for one bad game anyway.

Sunday Twilight is good for viewing but not attending.

Bring on the footy, I want us to have a killer instinct and leave no stone upturned and win win win.

bornadog
15-05-2020, 05:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psm4j0_3ZCg

Axe Man
15-05-2020, 05:46 PM
Sunday Twilight is good for viewing but not attending.

Bring on the footy, I want us to have a killer instinct and leave no stone upturned and win win win.

Probably not great for our sponsors though. Friday and Saturday night channel 7 games are the best result commercially I would imagine.

At the moment any time is a good time for TV viewing!

SonofScray
16-05-2020, 03:21 AM
The letter and video released today got me pumping. I'm not 100% on the value of a flag this year, but I've run out of things to talk about with my mates, so footy is welcome back.

Remi Moses
16-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Considering we’ve won 2 in 100 years
I’ll take it
The drip feed afl info begins

Rocco Jones
16-05-2020, 01:12 PM
History is written by the winners. Only ones left saying it's an *premiership are the ones who didn't win it.

bornadog
16-05-2020, 02:09 PM
History is written by the winners. Only ones left saying it's an *premiership are the ones who didn't win it.

If you go back in history and see how some premierships were awarded, you would in today's terms strip the cup off them.

I will take it if we are good enough

chef
16-05-2020, 02:22 PM
If you go back in history and see how some premierships were awarded, you would in today's terms strip the cup off them.

I will take it if we are good enough

Like the 'right of challenge' if you finish top but got knocked out of the finals back in the VFL?

bornadog
16-05-2020, 03:04 PM
Like the 'right of challenge' if you finish top but got knocked out of the finals back in the VFL?

From Wiki:

VFL/AFL premierships
Most conventional grand finals are a single match at the end of a finals series where the winner of the match wins the premiership.

Under the early VFL finals systems from 1898–1930 (except 1924), the circumstances of the grand final were often different:

in twenty-nine of these years, the minor premiers had the right to challenge the winner of the finals series for the premiership, meaning the grand finals of this era were a mixture of challenge matches and non-challenge matches (which would have been followed by challenge matches had the minor premier been defeated), while in 1901, 1903 and 1906 there was no right of challenge. Regardless of the circumstances at that time, all of these games are now recognised as grand finals.

Remi Moses
17-05-2020, 11:23 AM
Considering clubs count their “challenge “ premierships
This isn’t anything like that

GVGjr
17-05-2020, 05:54 PM
I'd love to be able to get to a game this year but the odds on that happening are very thin at the moment and I wonder if this will drag into next year as well

Twodogs
17-05-2020, 08:01 PM
Or go all out and take on the biggest challenge we have ever seen while others take a couple of months to get organised.
It's there for the taking not the tanking and we should go hard for it.

I get the sentiment but stuff it

I agree 100%. If we win it we will celebrate it (at a safe social distance or course) like it was 1999, oops, 1954 or 2016. And extend the middle finger to any opposition supporter who wants to dispute the value.

In fact, given the players are literally laying their lives on the line (we still don't know how dangerous contact really is) it's even a more valuable premiership IMO.

jeemak
18-05-2020, 01:33 AM
It'll just be another premiership in our favour that has a dot next to it apparently like 2016 did because we stole that one, had too many free kicks, got lucky with the pre finals bye or whatever reason......but it will be ours nonetheless like 2016 was.

This would be our lot in that case. We're better, we get criticised, we're worse, so on and so forth. Luckily the history books don't care much for populism.

GVGjr
18-05-2020, 04:24 AM
It'll just be another premiership in our favour that has a dot next to it apparently like 2016 did because we stole that one, had too many free kicks, got lucky with the pre finals bye or whatever reason......but it will be ours nonetheless like 2016 was.

This would be our lot in that case. We're better, we get criticised, we're worse, so on and so forth. Luckily the history books don't care much for populism.

Dots, asterisks or questions marks won't concern and I suggest it won't concern anyone else who follows us. We should go hard at trying to win it not tank the season as was suggested.
I listened to the Sam Edmund Dean Bailey sacking story the other day and I'd hate to think we have the mindset that we were going to position ourselves for the following season. The 2020 season is going to be a tough one no doubt but if you get on a roll at some point who knows where it might take us.

I hope Bevo quickly gets into the players with the message is anything is possible and we are good enough to win it.

Grantysghost
18-05-2020, 09:50 AM

Not only the history books, but new sponsors, members, players wanting success. Most (non bulldogs) people I speak to say that 2016 was probably the best finals series by a side ever, and you could certainly mount a strong argument for that position. This season it will be a compromised flag with a massive asterisk, unless the dogs win it.... Then second greatest ever :cool:

GVGjr
18-05-2020, 10:03 PM
I saw interviews with both Bevo and Wood tonight and they're quite a contrasting style

Wood was all upbeat and Bevo comes across as knowing more than he can let on

jeemak
19-05-2020, 01:27 AM
Dots, asterisks or questions marks won't concern and I suggest it won't concern anyone else who follows us. We should go hard at trying to win it not tank the season as was suggested.
I listened to the Sam Edmund Dean Bailey sacking story the other day and I'd hate to think we have the mindset that we were going to position ourselves for the following season. The 2020 season is going to be a tough one no doubt but if you get on a roll at some point who knows where it might take us.

I hope Bevo quickly gets into the players with the message is anything is possible and we are good enough to win it.

Whichever team can pop out of the funk and put together a few early wins from now is going to be in a really good position. However, scoring heavily complementing a frugal defence will be key as well and I hope we understand this, as the wins column may not be the differentiator that it usually is with a shortened season.

After seventeen games things could be pretty tight.

Axe Man
19-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Now here's an idea...

Football Club Apologises After Filling Stadium With Sex Dolls For A Game
(https://www.triplem.com.au/story/football-club-apologises-after-filling-stadium-with-sex-dolls-for-a-game-161279?fbclid=IwAR2cLkO4T-oIQOtYR4KBxPt4zPqIP7Ntvh2U_P0Oi89Xjx9d4MO-LaNIFoQ)

https://i.postimg.cc/Gpzd1RTK/image.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Seoul FC had their first game back since the K-League came back following a break for Coronavirus. Faced with the problem all sport does, namely how to fill out empty stadiums, they were presented with a novel solution. Put it dolls. Dress them up in kits. Give them signs to hold.

On many levels it makes sense. They were even offered "premium mannequins" (the club were at pains to describe them as this in their formal apology online) for the purpose by a local company free of charge. What could possibly go wrong..?

Well, this. The place they got these "premium mannequins", you will be stunned to learn, is very much a sex shop and the dolls look - so we're told... ahem - quite a lot like the ones used for... well, y'know.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-05-2020, 12:16 PM
So who will rise to the top in this outlier of a season? What teams will benefit and why? Will it be teams with strong cultures? Teams who are better disciplined? Will it be the harder working teams? Or will it simply be that, in the absence of formal, regular training, the more skilful teams will rise to the top?

Obviously there are a heap of different elements at play but it will be interesting to see if the normal "form lines", ie those teams predicted to do well, will continue this season or if it’ll be a total mixed bag

Twodogs
19-05-2020, 12:53 PM
Now here's an idea...

Football Club Apologises After Filling Stadium With Sex Dolls For A Game
(https://www.triplem.com.au/story/football-club-apologises-after-filling-stadium-with-sex-dolls-for-a-game-161279?fbclid=IwAR2cLkO4T-oIQOtYR4KBxPt4zPqIP7Ntvh2U_P0Oi89Xjx9d4MO-LaNIFoQ)

https://i.postimg.cc/Gpzd1RTK/image.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Seoul FC had their first game back since the K-League came back following a break for Coronavirus. Faced with the problem all sport does, namely how to fill out empty stadiums, they were presented with a novel solution. Put it dolls. Dress them up in kits. Give them signs to hold.

On many levels it makes sense. They were even offered "premium mannequins" (the club were at pains to describe them as this in their formal apology online) for the purpose by a local company free of charge. What could possibly go wrong..?

Well, this. The place they got these "premium mannequins", you will be stunned to learn, is very much a sex shop and the dolls look - so we're told... ahem - quite a lot like the ones used for... well, y'know.

Do you know if the dolls were moving during the game? Did the expressions on their faces change?

So very many questions.

Axe Man
19-05-2020, 01:04 PM
Do you know if the dolls were moving during the game? Did the expressions on their faces change?

So very many questions.

Not sure, but the technology seems to have come a long way from the old permanently shocked looking models.

With the AFL suggesting a bonk ban for the single players this could be a 2 birds, 1 stone situation.

GVGjr
19-05-2020, 01:05 PM
This must have been a practice game, one of them is signaling a super goal :)

bornadog
19-05-2020, 06:17 PM
From Channel 9

The government and health officials have granted Adelaide and PAFC permission to resume contact training from Monday.

The decision means they won’t have to fly to the Gold Coast on Sunday and opens the door for a possible Showdown in Adelaide.

comrade
24-05-2020, 01:15 PM
A Bundesliga club has gone with cardboard cutouts with their fans printed on them. Don't mind that - could even be a money spinner for the club. Pay $x amount to get your cardboard cutout in the crowd.

As an aside, I just worked my way through The Last Dance and I've done a 180 with my thinking on this season. No mercy, let's go for the win and truly develop that killer instinct. What would MJ do?

Twodogs
24-05-2020, 03:53 PM
A Bundesliga club has gone with cardboard cutouts with their fans printed on them. Don't mind that - could even be a money spinner for the club. Pay $x amount to get your cardboard cutout in the crowd.

As an aside, I just worked my way through The Last Dance and I've done a 180 with my thinking on this season. No mercy, let's go for the win and truly develop that killer instinct. What would MJ do?

Play basketball. For. The. Win.

GVGjr
24-05-2020, 10:23 PM
So it's us vs the Saints for the 2nd round

bornadog
24-05-2020, 11:54 PM
So it's us vs the Saints for the 2nd round

Is that confirmed?

GVGjr
25-05-2020, 02:33 AM
Is that confirmed?

According to Jake Niall

Likely round 2 fixture

Richmond v Collingwood, Thursday night, MCG

Geelong v Hawthorn, Friday night (venue TBC)

St Kilda v Western Bulldogs, Marvel Stadium (day TBC)

Carlton v Melbourne, Marvel Stadium (day TBC)

Adelaide v Port Adelaide, Adelaide Oval (day TBC)

Sydney v Essendon, SCG (day TBC)

Brisbane v Fremantle, Gabba (day TBC)

Gold Coast v West Coast, Metricon Stadium (day TBC)

GWS v North Melbourne, Sunday, Giants Stadium

GVGjr
25-05-2020, 09:30 AM
So Hunter and Naughton are outs for the round 2 game (Lets assume we will be conservative with Naughty)
Is it as easy as Richard or Lipinski and Schache as the ins?
Duryea and Liberatore should be in the mix as well

I suspect it's unlikely that we would drop players unless they have come back in poor shape

GVGjr
25-05-2020, 10:21 AM
I saw some training pictures the other day, I think Trengove has lost a bit of weight and is probably presenting himself in the best possible condition for consideration.

hujsh
25-05-2020, 10:36 AM

Bully his team mates and lie about the ones he couldn't. Got it.

Axe Man
25-05-2020, 10:42 AM
The round 2 St Kilda game will apparently be on the Sunday night at Marvel and we will get a chance to atone for the elimination final loss v GWS in round 4.

comrade
25-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Bully his team mates and lie about the ones he couldn't. Got it.

So woke.

kruder
25-05-2020, 10:51 AM
So Hunter and Naughton are outs for the round 2 game (Lets assume we will be conservative with Naughty)
Is it as easy as Richards or Lipinski and Schache as the ins?
Duryea and Liberatore should be in the mix as well

I suspect it's unlikely that we would drop players unless they have come back in poor shape

Why would Naughty be an out for round 2?

GVGjr
25-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Why would Naughty be an out for round 2?

His injury from round 1 hasn't progressed as hoped. Perhaps he is still a chance but he is no sure thing

josie
25-05-2020, 10:57 AM
I saw some training pictures the other day, I think Trengove has lost a bit of weight and is probably presenting himself in the best possible condition for consideration.

Really hope Bevo gives him a go. Plenty of bite in Trengove and reckon he is our best ruckman and 1 on 1 Defence for gorillas. Who does St Kilda have on attack nowadays?

Axe Man
25-05-2020, 11:01 AM
Really hope Bevo gives him a go. Plenty of bite in Trengove and reckon he is our best ruckman and 1 on 1 Defence for gorillas. Who does St Kilda have on attack nowadays?

Tim Membrey and Max King, with the resting ruck Paddy Ryder/Rowan Marshall.

comrade
25-05-2020, 11:05 AM
Tim Membrey and Max King, with the resting ruck Paddy Ryder/Rowan Marshall.

Max King is too big for Keath, and Membrey is too strong for Cordy. Throw in a resting ruck and it's not a great match up for our defence (tbh there aren't many in the comp that are).

GVGjr
25-05-2020, 11:24 AM
Max King is too big for Keath, and Membrey is too strong for Cordy. Throw in a resting ruck and it's not a great match up for our defence (tbh there aren't many in the comp that are).

On top of that Carlisle has gone forward against us and has caused match-up issues. Marshall is handy up forward as well

If it was up to me Young and/or Trengove would be right in the mix

Twodogs
25-05-2020, 12:10 PM

We really need our mids to defend and stop the quick ball into their forward 50. We have to give our defenders time to get back to cover and bring the ball to ground.

Gee it's great to have footy to talk about.

comrade
25-05-2020, 12:21 PM
We really need our mids to defend and stop the quick ball into their forward 50. We have to give our defenders time to get back to cover and bring the ball to ground.

Gee it's great to have footy to talk about.

I wish we didn't have to completely rely on our midfield dominating to protect our defence.

bornadog
25-05-2020, 12:22 PM
I wish we didn't have to completely rely on our midfield dominating to protect our defence.

But all teams do, that is the nature of the game these days.

comrade
25-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Not to the extent ours need protecting.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-05-2020, 01:34 PM

As much as I agree, there is some silver lining;

1 - The way our midfield was categorically destroyed by GWS and Collingwood in the last two games, there isn't a defensive group in the league that could withstand that onslaught. Do I rate our back 6? No - it's not in the top 10, but in these two games our mids were slaughtered. I'm concerned it's happened in two big games - is our midfield mix right? We know we have one of the best midfields in the comp, but what's missing? Maybe they are two 'off' games which are unfortunately so close to one another and that as our group matures, it won't happen again.

2 - Trengove actually changes the set-up of our back six for the better. I don't really 'rate' him, but for now he needs to play most weeks. He allows others to play their natural intercept game (i.e. Keath and Wood/Young) and he isn't interested in getting 15+ disposals per game, as all our other defenders are. Long term we need some different options (I also don't rate Cordy), but short term he does balance our back 6 and - if needed - can play minutes in the ruck.

I'm hoping our coaching group never repeat the lineups v GWS and Collingwood ever again.

comrade
25-05-2020, 01:49 PM
If Naughton doesn't play, I'd go in with:

OUT: Naughton, Gardner, Dale, Hunter
IN: Trengove, Schache, Richards, Lipinski

B: Crozier Trengove Wood
HB: JJ Keath Young
C: Richards Dunkley Smith
HF: Lipinski Schache Lloyd
FF: Cavarra Bruce Wallis
R: English Bont Macrae
I: Williams, Daniel, Suckling, Cordy (but would prefer Lachie Young here)

Cordy to give Schache & Bruce a chop out up forward, and only plays in defence as a break in case of emergency option if Saints load up the forward to stretch us at times.

Still major concerns about our defence, but it's better with Trengove in it and he also gives us ruck relief.

Our forward line is treacle slow with the exception of Cavarra and there isn't much tackling prowess. Would really like to see West & Weightman emerge as genuine options because our offensive group needs a big spark.

Twodogs
25-05-2020, 01:52 PM

Not to the extent ours need protecting.

I'm with you on that. I'd like to see our midfield streaming forward and kicking/setting up goals more often. The way they did they in the Essendon game. Midfielders don't grow up thinking "Bewdy. I'm really want to be an AFL footballer and spend all my time blocking and chasing the opposition down the whole game." Sure you have to be accountable but sometimes it's fun to make your opponents worry about you and show off your tricks.

I worry that our guys get less opportunity to do that than they would at other clubs.

Topdog
25-05-2020, 02:22 PM
So woke.

haha Jordan was/is an absolute tosser though. His style wouldn't work in AFL with 22 as opposed to the 8 or 9 in the NBA.

He is the GOAT.

kruder
25-05-2020, 02:52 PM
His injury from round 1 hasn't progressed as hoped. Perhaps he is still a chance but he is no sure thing

Didn't realize he was injured what did he did this time?

kruder
25-05-2020, 02:56 PM

All good just found an article, interesting that after 2 months off he is still not ready.

jeemak
25-05-2020, 04:57 PM

All good just found an article, interesting that after 2 months off he is still not ready.

What is the injury? Can you post the article?

GVGjr
25-05-2020, 05:02 PM
What is the injury? Can you post the article?

Jee, have a quick look on the injury thread. Comprehensive report

GVGjr
25-05-2020, 05:05 PM
A shorter version

Aaron Naughton is in doubt for round two after joining the rehab group when Western Bulldogs players returned to training this week ahead of the AFL season restart.

The rising star played in round one in March but he’s still sore, with the Dogs cautious due to his history of knee injuries.

The 20-year-old key forward suffered a left knee injury in last September’s elimination final defeat to GWS.

While he recovered from that lateral ligament problem to train in the pre-season, Naughton underwent an arthroscope on his right knee in February.

The Bulldogs are hopeful he will prove his fitness for round two - against an opponent to be named in the coming days - but there are no guarantees.

In better news, Tom Liberatore is a chance to play after he missed the opening game of the season.

But, as with Naughton, the club will take a cautious approach given the premiership midfielder’s wretched history with knee injuries.

comrade
25-05-2020, 05:06 PM
Move Cordy to Naughty's spot, put Naughty in Cordy's spot when he returns...

Bulldogs for premiers.

GVGjr
25-05-2020, 07:16 PM
I just saw some highlights of the training session and what caught my eye is that Gia was on the field directing traffic
We obviously preferred him to Corey and Russell

hujsh
26-05-2020, 11:32 AM
So woke.

Guy sucks. Good at basketball and making money but that's about all I'd say for him.

I like our club as place that generally doesn't harbor absolute tossbags, doesn't cheat, doesn't risk our players health etc so I tend to like the Lebrons over the Jordans.

To be clear I think we generally act to a slightly (or not so slight in some cases) higher standard than most if not all other clubs which is something I admire about them.

jeemak
26-05-2020, 11:07 PM
Guy sucks. Good at basketball and making money but that's about all I'd say for him.

I like our club as place that generally doesn't harbor absolute tossbags, doesn't cheat, doesn't risk our players health etc so I tend to like the Lebrons over the Jordans.

To be clear I think we generally act to a slightly (or not so slight in some cases) higher standard than most if not all other clubs which is something I admire about them.

Cheat, player health, and Jordan? Do tell...…….

What happened in the eighties and nineties in the AFL wouldn't cut it now, nor would what Jordan did in those days cut it now.

hujsh
27-05-2020, 02:20 PM
Cheat, player health, and Jordan? Do tell...…….

What happened in the eighties and nineties in the AFL wouldn't cut it now, nor would what Jordan did in those days cut it now.

That was worded poorly, Jordan is just a tossbag. Referring to cheats and the like was AFL specific

Axe Man
29-05-2020, 11:43 AM
I would like to see all the cutouts be Twodogs. A sea of Twodogs should be enough to scare the life out of Toby Greene.*

*Not that I know what Twodogs looks like.

The Western Bulldogs have confirmed they want to line Marvel Stadium stands with cardboard replicas of its fans during the coronavirus lockout.

The club said they were looking for a sponsor to help cover the costs in time for their Round 3 clash with Greater Western Sydney.

The idea would be to paste faces of their members on the specially designed cardboard cutouts.

Collingwood has also written to members about populating its home games with virtual Magpie fans.

The AFL has not indicated when fans would be allowed to return to matches this year.

Games will be closed off when the season restarts on June 11.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said the unusual idea had merit.

“There’s a novelty factor to it and anything quirky that keeps everyone engaged and makes all our members and supporters feel good, I think it’s worthwhile exploring,” Beveridge said.

“If you can see the faces of a mother, a father, a young kid or someone who’s been devoted to the Doggies for a long time then I think it’s all worthwhile. All those initiatives are a bit of fun.”

The idea of virtual fans took flight during the return of South Korean baseball matches and gained greater exposure at a soccer match in Germany last week.

Borussia Moenchengladbach arranged almost 13,000 cutouts of its supporters for its clash with Bayer Leverkusen behind closed gates.

The cutouts line the stadium’s otherwise empty stands.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/health-expert-catherine-bennett-raises-fears-football-fans-could-spread-covid19-by-shouting/news-story/e34fdb80b813f1650564a7b738475203)

Twodogs
29-05-2020, 01:02 PM
I would like to see all the cutouts be Twodogs. A sea of Twodogs should be enough to scare the life out of Toby Greene.*

*Not that I know what Twodogs looks like.

My Uncles taught me how to box when I was a kid. I'd happily take Toby on.

Funnily enough I was in Footscray this morning and I saw an old work friend that I hadn't seen in maybe ten years. I said I was good with faces and mentioned where we'd worked together so she mentioned her name and we stood aside for a chat. While we were chatting a bloke walked into our personal space so I gave him a "mate, FFS!" and gave him a look. She said "Nice. You've still got that glare" and reminded me of an incident I had completely forgotten about.

GVGjr
29-05-2020, 01:10 PM
My Uncles taught me how to box when I was a kid. I'd happily take Toby on.

Was it you that told we you won your last two fights by 50 mtrs? :)

Twodogs
29-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Was it you that told we you won your last two fights by 50 mtrs? :)

I will fight you!

More like a 25, I'm not that quick these days.

bornadog
29-05-2020, 01:59 PM
Better than the sex dolls :D

https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2020/05/03/670c9a48-4646-48ef-aa33-fccdecbddfd2/thumbnail/1200x675/2a702b77ee2771844737ec427a8b4378/borussia-monchengladbach-cutouts.jpg

comrade
29-05-2020, 02:10 PM
More lively than a Gold Coast home game.

hujsh
29-05-2020, 03:37 PM
Should be in bulldogs gear for a sea of red white and blue IMO

Sedat
29-05-2020, 04:13 PM

https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2020/05/03/670c9a48-4646-48ef-aa33-fccdecbddfd2/thumbnail/1200x675/2a702b77ee2771844737ec427a8b4378/borussia-monchengladbach-cutouts.jpg
Need to have 99% of people looking at their phones for it to be more realistic

bornadog
29-05-2020, 05:15 PM
AFL says 16-min quarters are only for the 2020 season and no changes to 4 man interchange bench.

GVGjr
30-05-2020, 10:24 AM
I'm started to get interested in the footy again. So close but it's still a long wait.

Does anyone have an update on Naughton?

Bulldog4life
30-05-2020, 10:59 AM
I'm started to get interested in the footy again. So close but it's still a long wait.

Does anyone have an update on Naughton?

No update G but like you the interest is building in me too. I think with training started has been a big reason for me.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2020, 03:08 PM
Is the AFL going to implement the 'fake crowd' like NRL?

I watched a bit of the game last night and whilst not being a fan of NRL, I actually thought the 'fake noise' was decent and added a bit of atmosphere to the viewing experience. I expected it to completely suck and feel cheap, but it was executed pretty well.

AFL might be a little more challenging though...

GVGjr
30-05-2020, 03:21 PM
Is the AFL going to implement the 'fake crowd' like NRL?

I watched a bit of the game last night and whilst not being a fan of NRL, I actually thought the 'fake noise' was decent and added a bit of atmosphere to the viewing experience. I expected it to completely suck and feel cheap, but it was executed pretty well.

AFL might be a little more challenging though...

I think so, I didn't watch the NRL but I suspect fake crowds won't overly appeal to me but willing to give it a chance

Remi Moses
30-05-2020, 07:16 PM
Actually thought the fake crowd noise was decent
What else can we do ?
Quite like the Game , certainly more than rugby union

bulldogsthru&thru
30-05-2020, 08:21 PM
While we wait, 2016 prelim is on 7mate

josie
30-05-2020, 08:37 PM
Got a good feeling about this one. Only watched this last week but watching again despite the numerous ads. Nice in HD.

EasternWest
30-05-2020, 08:58 PM

Those are the worst sex dolls ever.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-05-2020, 09:25 PM
Does anyone else cringe in fear on that backwards Dunkley kick in the last passage of play? Every time I watch it I still am scared of it backfiring

bornadog
30-05-2020, 11:57 PM
Does anyone else cringe in fear on that backwards Dunkley kick in the last passage of play? Every time I watch it I still am scared of it backfiring

At the game, the woman next to me couldn't believe that kick she almost fainted then and there. She said what the hell are they doing, I said there is only a minute to go (my mate kept texting me every one minute for the last 3 minutes) and they are killing some time. However, I have never been so stressed at a game as I was then. I could see GWS snatching victory again like all the other prelims.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-05-2020, 01:22 AM
I was actually mistaken. Always thought it was Dunks but it was in fact Smith....not that that makes it any better

bulldogsthru&thru
31-05-2020, 01:24 AM
I think we’re all just conditioned to expecting the worst in prelims. Being 5 points up didn’t help. But to kick so far backwards and over the head of an opposition player was so risky. I just don’t understand why I still freak out about it!

josie
31-05-2020, 12:38 PM
And what about that last passage if play in GWS 50 m arc where Woody tackles (is it Thug Greene?) and we somehow repel them? I was negative Nellie watching from that end at rear of cheer squad thinking we will give away a free kick and they will kick a goal and beat us by a point.

Glorious to watch us win that one again and again. I though Maclean was very good in that game - I hope he holds down a regular spot in the 22 and can sparkle like that again. Dicko bit of an unsung hero too. Libba and Dahlhaus tough as. And Clay could have kicked 6 or 8 that day. Gee he could tackle hard.

Twodogs
31-05-2020, 12:44 PM
And what about that last passage if play in GWS 50 m arc where Woody tackles (is it Thug Greene?) and we somehow repel them? I was negative Nellie watching from that end at rear of cheer squad thinking we will give away a free kick and they will kick a goal and beat us by a point.

Glorious to watch us win that one again and again. I though Maclean was very good in that game - I hope he holds down a regular spot in the 22 and can sparkle like that again. Dicko bit of an unsung hero too. Libba and Dahlhaus tough as. And Clay could have kicked 6 or 8 that day. Gee he could tackle hard.

And one of our players (JJ I think) ran through Tom Scully's protected zone with less than 2 minutes to play.

bornadog
31-05-2020, 04:09 PM
And one of our players (JJ I think) ran through Tom Scully's protected zone with less than 2 minutes to play.

I wonder if the umpire had called play on anyway

bulldogsthru&thru
31-05-2020, 06:03 PM

That Fletcher Roberts clearing kick was key and an excellent one at that. He actually played a fantastic game. Lots of great 1%ers

Twodogs
31-05-2020, 06:23 PM

Didn't think to look. He well may have because Scully or any of the other GWS players don't react at the time and you'd think at least one of them would have pointed it out to the umpire.

GVGjr
31-05-2020, 11:03 PM
I just saw a tweet from Stevo that we have knocked back a new sponsor on the back of our jumper preferring to keep the FFC

Dogs will also resist new sponsor logo on back of guernsey .. see the letters FFC as too important to fabric of club to cover

Does anyone know which sponsor this might be?
In this economic time attracting new sponsors would be a great addition for us

Twodogs
01-06-2020, 12:05 AM
I don't know who the sponsor is. I did hear a news report saying that the AFL have only just given permission for the sponsor's badge to go on that part of the jumper instead of the FFC or PAFC logo or whatever it was. It was to make up for lost revenue because of Covid19.

Interesting that we are knocking back sponsors ATM.

SonofScray
01-06-2020, 12:12 AM
I like that. Not everything should be for sale. Money is good to have too. More often than not the balance falls in favour of money, and fair enough. Good to affirm some boundaries now and again.

jeemak
01-06-2020, 12:19 AM

From what I recall the AFL actually responded to that particular contest and the verdict was nothing to see here...…..continuous running etc. and couldn't reasonably have changed course.

Funnily, the same thing happened after the Swannettes complained about Easton apparently sliding into Dan Hannebury. Reality is Easton jumped and landed, and didn't slide. Hard to stomach if it's not your team, but it is what it is.

Twodogs
01-06-2020, 12:56 AM
From what I recall the AFL actually responded to that particular contest and the verdict was nothing to see here...…..continuous running etc. and couldn't reasonably have changed course.

Funnily, the same thing happened after the Swannettes complained about Easton apparently sliding into Dan Hannebury. Reality is Easton jumped and landed, and didn't slide. Hard to stomach if it's not your team, but it is what it is.

I read somewhere that Easton was told that he had 6 jumps in him that day because his ankle was kaput. It's good to see he didn't waste any of them.

GVGjr
01-06-2020, 02:44 AM
I don't know who the sponsor is. I did hear a news report saying that the AFL have only just given permission for the sponsor's badge to go on that part of the jumper instead of the FFC or PAFC logo or whatever it was. It was to make up for lost revenue because of Covid19.

Interesting that we are knocking back sponsors ATM.

We may not have knocked them back just didn't concede the back of the jumper for them

Twodogs
01-06-2020, 10:46 AM
We may not have knocked them back just didn't concede the back of the jumper for them

Yep I see what you mean.

Axe Man
01-06-2020, 11:03 AM
I just saw a tweet from Stevo that we have knocked back a new sponsor on the back of our jumper preferring to keep the FFC

Dogs will also resist new sponsor logo on back of guernsey .. see the letters FFC as too important to fabric of club to cover

Does anyone know which sponsor this might be?
In this economic time attracting new sponsors would be a great addition for us

Maybe we could change it to KFC and nobody will notice?

Axe Man
03-06-2020, 01:46 PM
Curtain-raisers back? AFL gives clubs the green light to organise scratch matches (https://www.afl.com.au/news/441279/curtain-raisers-back-afl-gives-clubs-the-green-light-to-organise-scratch-matches)

THE AFL has given free rein to clubs to organise scratch matches between themselves from next week – but with a key criterion that will impact the two Sydney clubs most.

Teams will have the option to hold these games as curtain-raisers or curtain-closers to senior fixtures, and they must be played at AFL-approved venues.

AFL.com.au understands League football operations manager Steve Hocking informed the 18 clubs on Wednesday of the conditions for interclub match practice between rounds two and five.

The motivation behind this was to keep non-selected players engaged, with AFL footballers banned from competing in second-tier leagues, because of the strict medical protocols in place to ward against the COVID-19 outbreak.

The likes of Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley and Gold Coast chief executive Mark Evans are among the prominent figures to advocate for overlooked players to have somewhere to play and impress beyond training.

AFL umpires are not available to officiate these games, and it's believed the teams involved will instead need to allocate staff approved to make contact with players to serve as umpires.

This also means the footballers involved won't be subject to typical tribunal guidelines and can't be suspended, a policy that will rely on good faith between the competing clubs.

Club officials will need to lodge their game request with the AFL at least one week before the scheduled hitout, and they can only face teams based in the same state.

The Swans and Giants will be forced to play one another repeatedly during that one-month period if they want match practice outside of their own squad.

Gold Coast, Brisbane and the quarantine hub sides – West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide and Port Adelaide – have already discussed staging scratch matches against one another in Queensland.

That leaves the 10 Victorian clubs to organise contests between them, with the AFL's preference being that they fall in line with the premiership season fixture where possible.

It's understood the AFL contemplated sending scratch match participants with the selected senior players on chartered flights to interstate games but opted against it.

The length of quarters and number of players on each team can be mutually agreed upon between the two parties on a weekly basis.

This is important, given the likelihood of uneven playing numbers from club to club, because of injuries and other factors.

In extreme scenarios, clubs could even pool players together with rivals to stage a match in the case of mass injuries or a desire to play a game closer to normal circumstances.

Suspended footballers, such as North Melbourne defender Marley Williams, who isn't eligible to return until round three, can play in these scratch matches.

As with AFL games, the practice matches will be closed to the public.

bornadog
04-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Will Bevo opt for something like this:

Marlion Pickett’s remarkable footy journey could become even more so, with the Richmond grand final hero being considered a ruck option for Richmond’s season restart next Thursday.The 28-year-old is being considered for the role by the Tigers coaching staff despite being just 184cm, putting him in the frame for a role similar to that of retired Tiger Shaun Grigg, who played a key role in the club’s breakthrough premiership campaign of 2017.

With shortened quarters set to allow for more bombastic, burst-type football, Richmond assistant coach Justin Leppitsch said the side might prioritise an extra midfielder who pinch hits in the ruck, rather than select both Toby Nankervis and Ivan Soldo to split the job.

We can then have an extra mid to help out

Bulldog Joe
04-06-2020, 04:51 PM
Will Bevo opt for something like this:

We can then have an extra mid to help out

Josh Dunkley has played relief ruck a LOT.
Expect that to be continued and increased.

Axe Man
05-06-2020, 01:04 PM
Apparently we have opted not to give the non selected players a game next week, I wonder why?

The Western Bulldogs also opted not to organise any sort of 'scratch' game in round two for non-selected footballers but it's unclear whether this will change in future weeks.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Apparently we have opted not to give the non selected players a game next week, I wonder why?

A short turnaround might have something to do with it. We'll likely want some fresh players for the following game.