PDA

View Full Version : This is a special club

GVGjr
07-05-2020, 07:54 PM
I received an email from the club today and to me it underlines what a special club we have thrown our support behind
Given all the distractions I didn't expect something like this but here goes

Dear Player Sponsors,

I hope you and your families are well during these unprecedented times.

In light of the impacts of Coronavirus and the flow on effect that this has had on the AFL and football related events, we’re endeavouring to keep our Player Sponsors as informed as possible and to ensure they are constantly receiving inner sanctum football access.

With this, over the coming weeks, we will be looking to host optional Zoom video calls with Player Sponsors and their sponsored player to get the inside scoop and to hear how the players are keeping fit and well.

Each player will be scheduled a 20 minute in-depth and open chat with all of their Player Sponsors through a Zoom video call, where you will be able to ask any questions you may have.

I've always enjoyed the player sponsors night and I'm suitably impressed that the club would go to this length to give the players and the player sponsors a chance to say hello to each other

LostDoggy
07-05-2020, 09:44 PM
Great idea.

bornadog
07-05-2020, 09:55 PM
What a fantastic idea, the Bulldogs are really special.

Another great initiative is "Play On" free webinars. (see here) (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/playon?camefrom=EMCL_3286732_156743645) helping the community stay healthy.

Scraggers
07-05-2020, 11:42 PM
Brilliant ... love it.

I couldn’t imagine a pandemic lockdown without this modern technology. Programs such as Zoom really have made it easier.

Eastdog
08-05-2020, 03:04 AM
Great stuff! We are a great club!

Twodogs
08-05-2020, 11:56 AM
You see? This is why we are so loud and proud.

This is the greatest football club in the world.

GVGjr
02-06-2020, 10:38 AM
I have the catch-up with Cody on Thursday. If anyone has some questions they would like me to ask, please send me a message and I will see what I can do

I'll post/share what details I can later this week

josie
02-06-2020, 06:44 PM
Possible Q for Cody:
1. Most challenging issues when no training sessions were allowed at club
2. Any surprises of note when you joined footy club (things you did not know much about eg different exercises, time spent in things, dietary and mental health guidance etc)
3. What do to reckon are your best attributes as a player
4. Did you know anyone at club prior and who has helped you settle in the most?
5. Of players and coaches - who are a few you would want beside you in a dark night in a strange place that would make you feel a bit safer?

GVGjr
02-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Thanks Josie

I think it has a time limit of 20 minutes so it will be interesting to see how many questions and answers we can get done in that time.

GVGjr
04-06-2020, 11:38 AM
I struck a bit of fan gold today.

No other Cody Weightman player sponsor logged on for the zoom catch-up and I had the added bonus of his flat mate Riley Garcia and our commercial manager Nick Truelson on the call as well.

Both of the Boys spoke very well and talked about the challenges of being away from the club plus how good it's been to be back amongst their team mates.

I'll add some more details a bit later but I maintain our club has our supporters very much in their mind and does what it can to be innovative with them

comrade
04-06-2020, 11:41 AM
I struck a bit of fan gold today.

No other Cody Weightman player sponsor logged on for the zoom catch-up and I had the added bonus of his flat mate Riley Garcia and our commercial manager Nick Truelson on the call as well.

Both of the Boys spoke very well and talked about the challenges of being away from the club plus how good it's been to be back amongst their team mates.

I'll add some more details a bit later but I maintain our club has our supporters very much in their mind and does what it can to be innovative with them

That's awesome GVG, a well deserved fan experience.

Look forward to getting some insights.

Is Cody any chance for round 2?

GVGjr
04-06-2020, 11:59 AM
That's awesome GVG, a well deserved fan experience.

Look forward to getting some insights.

Is Cody any chance for round 2?

I suspect that with a 5 day turnaround between the next 2 rounds then round 3 might be a more realistic chance for him
He's clearly focused on his footy and see's himself more as a forward.

bornadog
04-06-2020, 12:00 PM
I suspect that with a 5 day turnaround between the next 2 rounds then round 3 might be a more realistic chance for him
He's clearly focused on his footy and see's himself more as a forward.

Did you get a chance to talk to Riley? How is he going with his recovery? Nick's a great bloke, cousin of Crozier

GVGjr
04-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Did you get a chance to talk to Riley? How is he going with his recovery? Nick's a great bloke, cousin of Crozier

Riley joined in for all of the call. He was scheduled for a catch-up with his sponsors later in the day. He's progressing very well and with the season being pushed back it opens the door for him just a bit. Positive attitude and see's himself as a midfielder and high half forward.

Nick is impressive.

josie
04-06-2020, 07:19 PM
Great stuff GVGjr!! And yes, well deserved.

GVGjr
04-06-2020, 11:12 PM
Both youngsters are steely determined to become good players. They really gave me the impression of being genuinely nice people with a good sense of humor but they both also gave me the impression of being very dedicated.

I asked Weightman if he saw himself long term as a midfielder and he didn't really see that on the radar. He really wants to establish himself as a forward while not ruling out runs in the midfield.

Garcia who's mainly played as a mid in his junior football and WAFL games surprised me just a little when he mentioned he would like to establish himself as both midfielder but perhaps more of a high half forward flanker who provides some pressure on the opposition.

Jong, Hayes and of course Bailey Smith were mentioned as players that came back from the break in great condition and contact training had meant some of the boys were a bit sore.

Nick mentioned a few times how much the club appreciates the fans and provided an overview of the player sponsors group to the Cody and Riley. He also talked about the Virtual Cheer Squad a couple of times so while it's mainly pitched at the youngsters expect a surprise or two along the way as well.

You often hear clubs talk about their fans but I can assure you that Nick doesn't just say it he really gave me the impression of being genuinely passionate about our fans.

We have certainly continued our focus on recruiting quality youngsters which seems to be a trademark of our approach over a long period of time.

ratsmac
07-06-2020, 04:59 PM
Thanks GVGjr that's awesome stuff

Eastdog
07-06-2020, 05:24 PM
Sounds like you had a good experience GVGjr.