21-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Bump

bornadog
21-06-2020, 11:44 PM
Essendon v Carlton TBC

Eastdog
22-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Essendon v Carlton TBC

Yep still up in the air as far as I know.

jeemak
26-06-2020, 10:33 PM
Good game seems to have accidentally broken out at Spotless.

Jeremy Cameron nearly took somebody's head off again, but of course he's a great guy and just seems to be accident prone when it comes to that sort of thing.

In other good news the fans at home have been shown to be doing Karate kicks in lieu of Toby Greene playing well, and of course the creepy perverts and violence apologists at channel seven suck the balls off him big time as a result.

azabob
26-06-2020, 10:35 PM
Jeremy Cameron appears to be becoming an average footballer.

azabob
26-06-2020, 10:37 PM
Giants don’t kill enough contests or ball inside their D50.

jeemak
26-06-2020, 10:48 PM
Giants don’t kill enough contests or ball inside their D50.

Seemingly. A lot of half chances were converted.

Grundy is doing Mumford by a lazy 24 hit outs at 3/4 time. I wonder if the two GWS supporters on their fan forum(if there actually is such a thing) are going as apeshit over that sort of stat that some around here do...………

Interestingly, the commentators just gushed over Mumford for his nine possession game thus far versus Grundy's 16 possession game. But I wouldn't actually say that's interesting because I'm not a complete dickhead.

azabob
26-06-2020, 10:53 PM
I’m still shaking my head Greene handballed to Cameron in the 3rd quarter and gave up a shot at goal.

azabob
26-06-2020, 10:53 PM

Grundy is doing Mumford by a lazy 24 hit outs at 3/4 time. I wonder if the two GWS supporters on their fan forum(if there actually is such a thing) are going as apeshit over that sort of stat that some around here do...………

Interestingly, the commentators just gushed over Mumford for his nine possession game thus far versus Grundy's 16 possession game. But I wouldn't actually say that's interesting because I'm not a complete dickhead.

Maybe you and I can do it for them?

jeemak
26-06-2020, 10:57 PM
Maybe you and I can do it for them?

I have no inclination to get involved other than laying out some bait from time to time thanks very much.

jeemak
26-06-2020, 10:58 PM
Howe's just either done an ACL or medial, BT thought it was a PCL and got a raging *!*!*!*!ing hard on over it in his commentary after he knew Howe was injured.

What a sick *!*!*!*! he is.

azabob
26-06-2020, 11:01 PM
As much as I love it Giants have been stiff with decisions and non decisions not going their way.

azabob
26-06-2020, 11:02 PM
Howe's just either done an ACL or medial, BT thought it was a PCL and got a raging *!*!*!*!ing hard on over it in his commentary after he knew Howe was injured.

Replay looked terrible.

jeemak
26-06-2020, 11:03 PM
Replay looked terrible.

the commentary around it made me *!*!*!*!ing sick.

Sedat
26-06-2020, 11:16 PM

BT and the rest of those farkwits on Ch 7 make the game completely unwatchable. It's a shame one of those Melbourne COVID clusters hasn't infiltrated the Ch 7 commentary booth.

jeemak
26-06-2020, 11:17 PM
Good win from the Giants.

Like aza said, Collingwood seemed to do pretty well a lot of the game with some questionable calls.

They really creamed over the Giants getting their season kicked off. I still think we defended the ground so well last week that the Giants would have struggled to score against us even with a couple of their in game and pre game injured players from last week, particularly on the small Spotless ground (providing we actually showed up to play).

Not sure what the Giants are going to do with their losing ruck division though, lost the team hit outs 54-23, some real soul searching required because the most important part of the game being conceded so flagrantly will definitely make them ineffective from here on in.

Sedat
26-06-2020, 11:17 PM
Toby Greene might be a douchebag but he is an absolute jet. Top 10 player in the comp.

jeemak
26-06-2020, 11:18 PM
BT and the rest of those farkwits on Ch 7 make the game completely unwatchable. It's a shame one of those Melbourne COVID clusters hasn't infiltrated the Ch 7 commentary booth.

It has gone to a completely new and disgusting level. Almost to the point where I'm going to post a career limiting diatribe on the ch7 social media pages. Words fail me beyond what I have already said.

jeemak
26-06-2020, 11:46 PM
Toby Greene might be a douchebag but he is an absolute jet. Top 10 player in the comp.

Name a player in the game who would complement our side more...…….ruck aside. :)

Imagine a combination of him Wallis, Dale and West now and in a year or so when Wallis drops off.

It's a long shot but if Weightman gets close to him then I'll be so so very happy.

comrade
27-06-2020, 06:19 AM
Howe is a massive loss. Was in AA form and like the rug in The Big Lebowski, he really tied the defence together.

ratsmac
27-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Getting Toby Green to the dogs would be like Dennis Rodman leaving Detroit Pistons and going to Chicago Bulls. Look what happened next!

Happy Days
27-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Greene rules. He’s pretty much my favourite non-Dogs player. You’re all marks.

ledge
27-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Gun player, the kind that every opposing fan hates but would love to have in their team.
If you could clean up his dirty side or maybe he matures a bit.
I would prefer we could get that out of his system though.
Papley or Greene ?
Papley would be my preference.

comrade
27-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Gun player, the kind that every opposing fan hates but would love to have in their team.
Papley or Greene ?

In terms of on field, Greene is the better player but I'd feel a lot more comfortable cheering for Papley if I had to choose one to defect over to the Dogs.

bornadog
27-06-2020, 12:59 PM
In terms of on field, Greene is the better player but I'd feel a lot more comfortable cheering for Papley if I had to choose one to defect over to the Dogs.

Papley all the way. Can't stand Greene, yes he has talent, but he is also a dirty player that has the potential to lose you a game through his antics.

AndrewP6
27-06-2020, 01:59 PM
Papley or Greene ?

Papley every day of the week. If we went after/acquired Greene, I’d have to reconsider following the team. Seriously. AAA grade, first class, cheating, dirty flog.

josie
27-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Howe is a massive loss. Was in AA form and like the rug in The Big Lebowski, he really tied the defence together.

Love the analogy. We call one of our cats “the dude” as he is so chilled out. Agree Howe loss massive-will be fascinating to see how Pies go. They appear to be one mobile tall short. The Yank is ok but not very mobile.

EasternWest
27-06-2020, 02:41 PM
Greene rules. He’s pretty much my favourite non-Dogs player. You’re all marks.

I would be extremely conflicted if we ever went after/got Greene. That being said he would make us instantly and infinitely better on field.

Papley all the way. Can't stand Greene, yes he has talent, but he is also a dirty player that has the potential to lose you a game through his antics.

I would LOVE Papley.

Happy Days
27-06-2020, 02:51 PM
Port playing Never Tear Us Apart at Metricon is now the #1 cringiest thing I've ever seen in the AFL, just sneaking past Port playing Never Tear Us Apart at the start of their normal home games.

EasternWest
27-06-2020, 02:57 PM
Port playing Never Tear Us Apart at Metricon is now the #1 cringiest thing I've ever seen in the AFL, just sneaking past Port playing Never Tear Us Apart at the start of their normal home games.

Ahem

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5xWPpIy7Vwj_BbcQQFscy1nUSuC3nEGm7LZmZ35X oiqHzlJzBRADd7GMt&s=10

Happy Days
27-06-2020, 03:35 PM
Ahem

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5xWPpIy7Vwj_BbcQQFscy1nUSuC3nEGm7LZmZ35X oiqHzlJzBRADd7GMt&s=10

Not saying that Adelaide have been bad ever since they stopped the power stance, just saying you should look into it.

EasternWest
27-06-2020, 04:15 PM
Not saying that Adelaide have been bad ever since they stopped the power stance, just saying you should look into it.

I've done as much research on that topic as many people have into coronavirus. I guess what you could say is I'm pretty much at doctorate level on Adelaide's shittery. I can't conclusively say whether it's the power stance alone, but if we just had more vitamin C there'd be no more coronavirus fake news.

Now what were we talking about?

Remi Moses
27-06-2020, 04:34 PM
Tom Green , just wow !
Pretty good game after h/t . Howe’s a massive injury
The commentary on Greene not getting free kicks is shitting me .
Gives away a free with a cheapie then yells at the ump “ I was pushed”
Replay confirms he wasn’t , dead set grub .
Thought Collingwood blew it to be honest .

Remi Moses
27-06-2020, 04:38 PM
I’m hoping the narrative of what happened to west coast after their flag Is as strong as it was on us .
Hubs aside, this is a mighty fall

azabob
27-06-2020, 04:38 PM
Tom Green , just wow !
Pretty good game after h/t . Howe’s a massive injury
The commentary on Greene not getting free kicks is shitting me .
Gives away a free with a cheapie then yells at the ump “ I was pushed”
Replay confirms he wasn’t , dead set grub .
Thought Collingwood blew it to be honest .

Really? They were given an armchair ride with the umpires and had everything going their way.

GWS deserved to win and would've been unlucky to lose.

Remi Moses
27-06-2020, 04:40 PM

He is , but his Ill discipline can be costly
Don’t think his talent is ever questioned , but letting you down with shit acts should be questioned

Remi Moses
27-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Really? They were given an armchair ride with the umpires and had everything going their way.

GWS deserved to win and would've been unlucky to lose.

The mark that should have been paid aside , Collingwood blew chances in the last quarter

Remi Moses
27-06-2020, 04:42 PM
1.5 in the last quarter and easy shots .

Happy Days
27-06-2020, 04:52 PM
Interested to see if this strategy by West Coast to throw a tantrum and tank 6 straight games out of spite will pay off.

azabob
27-06-2020, 04:53 PM
Port continuing on their good start to the season and at the same time putting the eagles to the sword.

Hard to know what to make of West Coast. Same players out there but not clearly not the same output. At least for them Josh Kennedy has is starting to get more involved.

Remi Moses
27-06-2020, 04:57 PM
The whole hub thing doesn’t seem to worry port
Dixon looks in great shape ( I think Josh Bruce could take heed)
Had a pre season and it’s showing

comrade
27-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Interested to see if this strategy by West Coast to throw a tantrum and tank 6 straight games out of spite will pay off.

Very spicy strategy, especially given Geelong has their first pick this year.

GVGjr
27-06-2020, 05:13 PM
Port continuing on their good start to the season and at the same time putting the eagles to the sword.

Hard to know what to make of West Coast. Same players out there but not clearly not the same output. At least for them Josh Kennedy has is starting to get more involved.

Port are a very solid team and I agree it's hard to work out whats happening with West Coast

bornadog
27-06-2020, 05:39 PM
Will be interseting how WC perform at home when they have 6 or 7 games straight (after the hub)

mjp
27-06-2020, 05:44 PM
Port are a very solid team and I agree it's hard to work out whats happening with West Coast

Not sure about that.

They are unhappy. They are feeding on one-another’s unhappiness.

My wife and daughter AND my daughter’s boyfriend are teachers. They and their teaching brethren worked themselves into a frenzy of “itsjustnotfairism” at the start of covid. They were being put at risk because they had to go to work, they were being overworked because they now had to deliver lessons online...and pointing out that others who weren’t working simply were not getting paid and what would they think about that...well, let me just assure you that was also considered unfair.

West Coast decided they didn’t like the hub. They had to go. They keep going on about it and about going ‘home’ (Half of them arent from wa in any case) and meantime they have to play games against teams that actually WANT to play...you get what you get. Plus, new captain, a couple of influential and loved assistants sitting back at home...

If they worked for a bank they would be going through the motions and mostly no one would notice. In competitive sport though, near enough is not even close to good enough. For further evidence of this, refer to exhibit a: Footscray vs Collingwood, round 1 2020.

GVGjr
27-06-2020, 05:53 PM
Will be interseting how WC perform at home when they have 6 or 7 games straight (after the hub)

They'll do well but at the moment can't score

The Bulldogs Bite
27-06-2020, 08:07 PM
Tigers struggling now too, interesting season.

Saints have looked really impressive v us and v Tigers. Hill is bloody good.

Happy Days
27-06-2020, 08:13 PM
Quarantine Dan Butler is up there with Queensland Jack Macrae for inexplicable mythical superstars. Since when is he this good, let alone *any* good?

HOSE B ROMERO
27-06-2020, 08:13 PM
Tigers struggling now too, interesting season.

Saints have looked really impressive v us and v Tigers. Hill is bloody good.

Yep. A lot of teams seem to have an off week and then hit back hard the following week. Who knows. Eight wins may even get you into the finals.

jeemak
27-06-2020, 08:40 PM
Yep. A lot of teams seem to have an off week and then hit back hard the following week. Who knows. Eight wins may even get you into the finals.

People keep banging on about how important the start of this season is.....I reckon what happens after round eight or nine is equally or more so.

comrade
27-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Just switched on Carlton vs Essendon and really wished I hadn't. Just two hack teams.

comrade
27-06-2020, 09:05 PM
God, it's only getting worse.

comrade
27-06-2020, 09:27 PM
On the other hand, GC look sharp as hell. Ben King is going to be a monster.

Rocket Science
27-06-2020, 10:55 PM
Just switched on Carlton vs Essendon and really wished I hadn't. Just two hack teams.

That result made it all worthwhile though.

comrade
27-06-2020, 10:58 PM
Rowell is taking the piss. Should be leading the Brownlow after 4 rounds.

Twodogs
27-06-2020, 11:15 PM

Yep Grundy flogged Mumford.

I've done as much research on that topic as many people have into coronavirus. I guess what you could say is I'm pretty much at doctorate level on Adelaide's shittery. I can't conclusively say whether it's the power stance alone, but if we just had more vitamin C there'd be no more coronavirus fake news.

Now what were we talking about?

INXS.

The mark that should have been paid aside , Collingwood blew chances in the last quarter

Yep Collingwood kicked themselves out of it

Not sure about that.

They are unhappy. They are feeding on one-another’s unhappiness.

Agreed. They didn't like the hub idea and have gone out of their way to prove it wasn't going to work.

Dancin' Douggy
27-06-2020, 11:31 PM
I just love, and I mean LOVE, watching Essendon lose.

azabob
28-06-2020, 08:59 AM

I only saw the last quarter but boy I was shocked to see Carlton have more of a system than Essendon.

I couldn't believe how poor and organised they were in the last 3 minutes.

So much for a new Essendon this year.

merantau
28-06-2020, 09:41 AM

I must admit, BT still has a few credits with me as a result of his calling during our 2016 campaign.

jazzadogs
28-06-2020, 11:04 AM
One of my mates works at the Suns, and he reckons there are WC/Dockers players at all the cafes, on Tinder, out and about - so as much as they are complaining at the moment, they have it a lot easier than the players in Melbourne who aren't allowed to leave their home.

bornadog
28-06-2020, 11:58 AM
One of my mates works at the Suns, and he reckons there are WC/Dockers players at all the cafes, on Tinder, out and about - so as much as they are complaining at the moment, they have it a lot easier than the players in Melbourne who aren't allowed to leave their home.

They can also play golf and go fishing I believe. Maybe they think they are on holidays and it is reflected in the way they are playing.

Happy Days
28-06-2020, 12:02 PM
On the other hand, GC look sharp as hell. Ben King is going to be a monster.

He's incredible. Reminds me of Max King from St Kilda if he ever actually held a mark or did anything.

Happy Days
28-06-2020, 12:05 PM
They can also play golf and go fishing I believe. Maybe they think they are on holidays and it is reflected in the way they are playing.

No BAD, you don't seem to understand that slight inconveniences to AFL players while they are in the course of playing a game for hundreds of thousands of dollars, such as having to stay at a resort and being forced into doing whatever they want all of the time, is the worst and hardest thing happening to anyone right now.

The Eagles in particular are pathetic, but players' sense of self importance at times can be ridiculous.

Happy Days
28-06-2020, 12:08 PM
I only saw the last quarter but boy I was shocked to see Carlton have more of a system than Essendon.

I couldn't believe how poor and organised they were in the last 3 minutes.

So much for a new Essendon this year.

Essendon cost themselves that game by insisting on trying to get their "superstars" Stringer and Tippa into the game by playing them in large spurts in the middle in the 4th quarter. Clearances were something like 10-1 in the 4th.

Conversly, Carlton tried to cost themselves the game by using the same method of attack every single time going forward (hope Casboult marks it). I guess you're technically right that they had more system, but in the sense that 1 is more than 0.

I was actually pretty hyped on the Blues this year, but its very hard to draw any confidence from that performance.

The Adelaide Connection
28-06-2020, 12:38 PM
Essendon lose.

1.2 seconds later...

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com

The Adelaide Connection
28-06-2020, 12:52 PM
Essendon lose.

1.2 seconds later...

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com

Some of my favourites:

“Same Chinese takeaway selling sh-t in a tray...”

“You know how people were worried about winning a premiership in a rigged season? You can stop now...”

“Fold us now. A club that has no heart and just (a) spineless Bunch of hacks. Teams like the Crows will bottom out for 5 years and still win a final before us...Seriously go fark yourself Essington...”

“I’m sick of hearing the news that Stringer training the house down and him ready to reach his 2015 season heights again. It ain’t happening. He’s overweight and doesn’t impact matches the way we like...”

“I’ve got three sons that I told “You can bow to whatever God you like, you can vote for whatever political party you like, but if you don’t support The Bombers you’re out on your ear.” They’re now in their late twenties and early thirties and I look at the grief I’ve caused them over the last twenty years- I’m a bad parent.”

bornadog
28-06-2020, 02:35 PM
Some of my favourites:

“You know how people were worried about winning a premiership in a rigged season? You can stop now...”

“Fold us now. A club that has no heart and just (a) spineless Bunch of hacks. Teams like the Crows will bottom out for 5 years and still win a final before us...Seriously go fark yourself Essington...”

“I’m sick of hearing the news that Stringer training the house down and him ready to reach his 2015 season heights again. It ain’t happening. He’s overweight and doesn’t impact matches the way we like...”

“I’ve got three sons that I told “You can bow to whatever God you like, you can vote for whatever political party you like, but if you don’t support The Bombers you’re out on your ear.” They’re now in their late twenties and early thirties and I look at the grief I’ve caused them over the last twenty years- I’m a bad parent.”

I like this one

Pathetic
Just pathetic
Weak team selection
Weak performance
Weak captain
Weak Leaders
Weak coaching

Rocket Science
28-06-2020, 03:10 PM
Some of my favourites:

Get in my veins.

Jakey trying to give it to Cripps at the opening bounce was just *chef's kiss*.

comrade
28-06-2020, 03:13 PM
Get in my veins.

Jakey trying to give it to Cripps at the opening bounce was just *chef's kiss*.

Jakey 'single digits' Stringer is flying about as well as Qantas right now.

comrade
28-06-2020, 03:14 PM
And in news that everyone already knew: Adelaide suck.

That 2nd round pick swap for their 3rd in the Keath deal might only end up on a few spots apart in the wash up.

Nice work if it turns out that way.

mjp
28-06-2020, 03:44 PM

No disagreements from me in principle. But the players in the hub have been taken away from their kids and partners. As much as I think it is only for a few weeks and it's fine, it doesn't matter what I think. West Coast have an older squad than Freo who generally speaking seem to be happy enough with the hub. West Coast aren't happy though. Whether they should be or shouldn't be is really immaterial.

Happy Days
28-06-2020, 04:20 PM
Jakey 'single digits' Stringer is flying about as well as Qantas right now.

He's in appalling condition. Me and my friends have a running joke about this one time JPK played in the rain and you could see his abs through his jumper. Conversely, you can see the fully rounded bit of Jake's stomach at the moment.

Would love to see how that lion tattoo is looking.

azabob
28-06-2020, 05:24 PM
How good is Charlie Cameron? I just saw the mark he took against Adelaide.

It is mindbogglingly good!

merantau
28-06-2020, 05:27 PM
I'm watching Geelong v Melbourne. Dangerfield is such a diver but so far the umps are on to him.

comrade
28-06-2020, 05:31 PM
I'm watching Geelong v Melbourne. Dangerfield is such a diver but so far the umps are on to him.

What a snorefest, huh? Geelong are impotent away from their own **** heap.

Rocket Science
28-06-2020, 06:24 PM
How good is Charlie Cameron? I just saw the mark he took against Adelaide.

It is mindbogglingly good!

Hard not to be envious watching the Lions play and that Cameron / McCarthy small forward tandem.

McCarthy reminds me of Picken on song and Cameron's just makes the game worth watching.

Rocket Science
28-06-2020, 06:25 PM
What a snorefest, huh? Geelong are impotent away from their own **** heap.

Long may they remain mollycoddled in that comfort zone.

comrade
28-06-2020, 06:40 PM

And don't get me started on Melbourne. One of the dumbest footy sides going.

azabob
28-06-2020, 07:10 PM
And don't get me started on Melbourne. One of the dumbest footy sides going.

Dumber than Essendon?

bornadog
28-06-2020, 07:17 PM

How was the shot at goal with minutes to go and he kicks it out on the full (from dead in front) I really can't stand him

comrade
28-06-2020, 07:19 PM
Dumber than Essendon?

Yeah.

They have the talent to be a finals contender but they just shoot themselves in the foot with stupid decision making.

Essendon are an untalented dumpster fire.

Remi Moses
28-06-2020, 07:33 PM
Complete snore fest Melbourne and Geelong
Shorter quarters , but the game is getting too defensive

Remi Moses
28-06-2020, 07:34 PM
The way geelong play allowed the dees back in
Short uncontested conservative ball movement

Twodogs
28-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Is Tom McDonald in trouble for his hit on Tom Stewart off the ball? Stewart had to miss the rest of the game and looks to be out for several more. The ball was miles away at the time that McDonald shouldered Stewart.

GVGjr
28-06-2020, 07:58 PM
Is Tom McDonald in trouble for his hit on Tom Stewart off the ball? Stewart had to miss the rest of the game and looks to be out for several more. The ball was miles away at the time that McDonald shouldered Stewart.

Tell me you saw it on a replay not because you watched the game live? :)

Twodogs
28-06-2020, 08:03 PM
Tell me you saw it on a replay not because you watched the game live? :)

Saw it on the news mate. I had much better things to do than watch it live!

EasternWest
28-06-2020, 08:03 PM
Hard not to be envious watching the Lions play and that Cameron / McCarthy small forward tandem.

McCarthy reminds me of Picken on song and Cameron's just makes the game worth watching.

I love footy for a variety of reasons, but Cameron just makes it fun for funs sake.

Rocket Science
28-06-2020, 08:14 PM
Norf v Hawthorn has barely gotten out of second gear but both Ziebell and Tarrant have suffered heavy knocks and, should they play, should be nice and sore come next weekend.

North really miss Cunnington's influence at the coalface.

azabob
28-06-2020, 08:33 PM

No. Tom Stewart missing games is a community service.

jeemak
28-06-2020, 08:47 PM
How much did those clowns play for Pittard?

bornadog
28-06-2020, 08:48 PM
No. Tom Stewart missing games is a community service.

Should not miss games, a bump to the shoulder is not illegal

bornadog
28-06-2020, 08:49 PM
How much did those clowns play for Pittard?

Another dud game. Skills are atrocious

jeemak
28-06-2020, 08:53 PM
If we bring our hardness and full ground defence next week then we should be OK.

bornadog
28-06-2020, 08:54 PM
If we bring our hardness and full ground defence next week then we should be OK.

I am confident.

comrade
28-06-2020, 08:57 PM
Ceglar has held his own against Goldy which has helped the mids choke up supply to Ben Brown.

We need a similar performance from our on ball brigade next week.

Happy Days
28-06-2020, 09:01 PM
If it wasn’t for Goldstein we’d win by 10+ goals. But he’s a perfect matchup to exploit English’s weaknesses and mitigate his strengths and he could just about make 10+ goals worth of difference.

Not too scared of their forward line kicking a winning score though if this game is anything to go by.

bornadog
28-06-2020, 09:04 PM
If it wasn’t for Goldstein we’d win by 10+ goals. But he’s a perfect matchup to exploit English’s weaknesses and mitigate his strengths and he could just about make 10+ goals worth of difference.

Not too scared of their forward line kicking a winning score though if this game is anything to go by.

only 4 goals in 3 quarters

jeemak
28-06-2020, 09:18 PM
Ben Brown's an areshole, dives and gets a free kick, and while he kicked the goal he robs a team mate who took a genuinely good mark of a shot at goal.

jeemak
28-06-2020, 09:24 PM
It's amazing what happens when a footy team mentally checks out.

Remi Moses
28-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Ben Brown's an areshole, dives and gets a free kick, and while he kicked the goal he robs a team mate who took a genuinely good mark of a shot at goal.

Absolute swan diver
When’s this going to be put up for focus ?
North Melbourne play a boring laborious style and only looked good when the game was shot and hawthorn left the door open.

Happy Days
28-06-2020, 10:05 PM

He's a BAD PLAYER and his continued presence as some sort of player of repute drives me stupid.

I am also now sorry in advance for the 6 goals he kicks from tripping over his own feet and having the umpire blow his whistle in pity next week. I should've learned my lesson after Billings but I have not.

Sedat
28-06-2020, 11:06 PM
He gets frees for being unco. The combination of crazy clown red hair and long gangly white limbs plays perfectly to his unco strengths with the umpires.

soupman
29-06-2020, 09:30 AM
To his credit he is a very good player for the limited attributes he actually has.

He is a decent mark (helped by being outrageously tall), has a great work ethic and has a very good goalkicking routine. That's it but he is just about the best in the league at the latter two. It's interesting that similiar players like Josh Schache who have even more AFL attributes seem so far off establishing themselves at the level when Brown in effectiveness is a star.

josie
29-06-2020, 09:46 AM
If we could turn clock back and select Brown instead of Fuller we would. Most players have limitations. I think Brown would likely be selected in our best 22 if he played for us. I do not watch enough footy to compare him to every other FF but when I have seen him play he covers a lot of ground and is way more a reliable goal kick than most on our list.

I love Maclean yet he did have habit of eeking out frees that would probably infuriate me in an opposition player. I think he has grown out of that (perhaps due to umps tweaking rules which was fair enough). I think I could get used to Brown flopping like a fish (again I think this could alter for the better, perhaps with a different coach and possibly different team and perhaps Shaw might do so given he is a newbie) if he could reliably kick a goal or two per game in the RWB.

EasternWest
29-06-2020, 10:01 AM
You guys are mad Brown would be a walk up start in our team

hujsh
29-06-2020, 10:39 AM

Was about to say...

No way Brown wouldn't play in our team. He'd either play ahead of Bruce or push Naughton back into defence.

Remi Moses
29-06-2020, 10:44 AM
There’s no way known Naughton would be pushed back
He’s 20 years old playing key forward . I think Brown’s a better play than Bruce, but Naughton’s attributes scream play forward

Bulldog Joe
29-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Was about to say...

No way Brown wouldn't play in our team. He'd either play ahead of Bruce or push Naughton back into defence.

While I agree that Brown would be ahead of Bruce comfortably, I'm not certain that Bevo would play him.

He doesn't seem to rate one position players and certainly not any that have limitations defensively and with the ground ball.

Sedat
29-06-2020, 01:10 PM
Having seen Tom Boyd and Aaron Naughton being borderline assaulted in most marking contests and not get any frees in the last few years, I would love a key forward in our team who wins numerous frees for being unco in marking contests, but can run all day and can drill set shot goals for fun.

EasternWest
29-06-2020, 02:00 PM
Having seen Tom Boyd and Aaron Naughton being borderline assaulted in most marking contests and not get any frees in the last few years, I would love a key forward in our team who wins numerous frees for being unco in marking contests, but can run all day and can drill set shot goals for fun.

So you agree he'd be a walk up start?

1eyedog
29-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Brown is playing about as good as Bruce this year

Sedat
29-06-2020, 03:01 PM
So you agree he'd be a walk up start?
Totally. But I can't stand the easy frees he receives simply for being an unco gumby in marking contests and flopping around like a dead fish and flailing his pasty arms and legs about in a desperate (and usually successful) attempt to get the attention of the umps. I would, however, love those easy frees if he was wearing our colours.

Having said that, this year is not a good year to be a key forward with shorter quarters and even more congestion cutting off leading lanes for the big forwards. And with those compromises in place, I don't think Brown is handling the new world order at all well thus far.

EasternWest
29-06-2020, 03:10 PM
Totally. But I can't stand the easy frees he receives simply for being an unco gumby in marking contests and flopping around like a dead fish and flailing his pasty arms and legs about in a desperate (and usually successful) attempt to get the attention of the umps. I would, however, love those easy frees if he was wearing our colours.

Having said that, this year is not a good year to be a key forward with shorter quarters and even more congestion cutting off leading lanes for the big forwards. And with those compromises in place, I don't think Brown is handling the new world order at all well thus far.

Fair enough, agree with all that.

jeemak
29-06-2020, 11:50 PM
If we could turn clock back and select Brown instead of Fuller we would. Most players have limitations. I think Brown would likely be selected in our best 22 if he played for us. I do not watch enough footy to compare him to every other FF but when I have seen him play he covers a lot of ground and is way more a reliable goal kick than most on our list.

I love Maclean yet he did have habit of eeking out frees that would probably infuriate me in an opposition player. I think he has grown out of that (perhaps due to umps tweaking rules which was fair enough). I think I could get used to Brown flopping like a fish (again I think this could alter for the better, perhaps with a different coach and possibly different team and perhaps Shaw might do so given he is a newbie) if he could reliably kick a goal or two per game in the RWB.

Toby helped enact a rule change that was completely unnecessary. If you tackle the onus should be on you to ensure you tackle below the shoulders and above the knees, and that your tackle stays between those areas. If a player is strong enough to shrug a tackle and it slips over the shoulder then bad luck, it's a free against the tackler much like it is when a player is strong enough to run through a tackle and it slips below the knees. Again, bad luck you went for a tackle and it wasn't legal.

As for the issue specific to Toby, he lowered his body and this made tackles slip too high. Does everyone run around standing up as straight as they can when they have the footy? No, they don't. If Toby was leading with the head in a ducking motion then he's instigating contact and he doesn't deserve a free. However, if he's just lowering his body height slightly then the onus is on the tackler to stick the tackle properly in my view.

I'm a bit passionate about this particular rule. The AFL wants the game to move quickly but changes the rules like in this instance and it's completely counterintuitive as it mostly bloody is with them.

Ben Brown flat out dives and gets rewarded for it. We'd have him for sure, but he is a diver.

1eyedog
29-06-2020, 11:55 PM
I don't mind divers so much. Johnno was a diver but also brave and an incredibly good footballer. He just wanted to do anything he could to win the ball for his team.

jazzadogs
30-06-2020, 12:00 AM
Toby helped enact a rule change that was completely unnecessary. If you tackle the onus should be on you to ensure you tackle below the shoulders and above the knees, and that your tackle stays between those areas. If a player is strong enough to shrug a tackle and it slips over the shoulder then bad luck, it's a free against the tackler much like it is when a player is strong enough to run through a tackle and it slips below the knees. Again, bad luck you went for a tackle and it wasn't legal.

As for the issue specific to Toby, he lowered his body and this made tackles slip too high. Does everyone run around standing up as straight as they can when they have the footy? No, they don't. If Toby was leading with the head in a ducking motion then he's instigating contact and he doesn't deserve a free. However, if he's just lowering his body height slightly then the onus is on the tackler to stick the tackle properly in my view.

I'm a bit passionate about this particular rule. The AFL wants the game to move quickly but changes the rules like in this instance and it's completely counterintuitive as it mostly bloody is with them.

Ben Brown flat out dives and gets rewarded for it. We'd have him for sure, but he is a diver.

It also really annoys me when a player is bending over to pick up the ball, someone comes in to tackle them front on, and no free kick is awarded because they 'ducked'. No! That is a dangerous tackle, there is no need for that tackle, and it should be a free kick.

Players contesting a loose ball have a duty of care to their opponents (i.e. don't rush in and make contact with your opponent's head).
Players with the ball need to protect themselves (i.e. don't duck into a tackle and cause contact to your own head).

It's one rule adjudication which really frustrates me, whether I'm watching or playing.

Twodogs
30-06-2020, 04:37 PM

Agree about Toby. If you tackle someone and make contact above the shoulder then it doesn't matter how that happened, it's a free kick against you. And as for changing the rule if Toby didn't play for us then it would never have been changed in a million years.

Same as the third man up in the ruck contest, if it was Dustin Martin or Dangerfield and not Bont doing it and gaining an advantage for their team there would never have been a change. Besides Bont was hitting it clear of contests and thus reducing congestion, isn't that what they want?

Do they have a problem with third man joining a marking contest? No, they don't. And they never will have until it's an advantage to one of our players, then they will change the rule in an instant.

josie
30-06-2020, 06:47 PM
Love the passion and logic of WOOF. Good discussion about Toby. Do you agree Selwood used to (possibly still does) something similar yet the umps let it go with him but changed rules largely due to Toby?

I now think Toby misses out sometimes on the occasional free he is due as they see who it is and kind of overcompensate.

comrade
30-06-2020, 07:39 PM
One of the great joys of my footy watching life is seeing Toby slip the arm up and suck in another idiot opponent.

The one he got in the 3rd quarter of our 2016 semi which lead to a crunch goal was an absolute thing of beauty.

Happy Days
30-06-2020, 07:48 PM
Yeah if McLean played for another team it would really bug me, but he doesn't, so it doesn't. Love to see it in fact.

People who try to make football objective are among the most miserable on earth.

jeemak
01-07-2020, 12:43 AM
Love the passion and logic of WOOF. Good discussion about Toby. Do you agree Selwood used to (possibly still does) something similar yet the umps let it go with him but changed rules largely due to Toby?

I now think Toby misses out sometimes on the occasional free he is due as they see who it is and kind of overcompensate.

Selwood is/was a bit similar but his action was more about his arm shrug. The fact he accentuates anything that might seem like contact and has this disgusting entitled look on his face every time he gets up and the umpires seem to fall for it really pisses me off, and I have no facts to back this up but he definitely gets away with it still to Geelong's benefit and we now get stitched up! :)

comrade
01-07-2020, 05:32 AM
Selwood is/was a bit similar but his action was more about his arm shrug. The fact he accentuates anything that might seem like contact and has this disgusting entitled look on his face every time he gets up and the umpires seem to fall for it really pisses me off, and I have no facts to back this up but he definitely gets away with it still to Geelong's benefit and we now get stitched up! :)

Geelong has the 3 worst players for that in the entire league for this: Selwood, Danger & Ablett will go to their death bed complaining about all the free kicks they missed out on over the years.

1eyedog
01-07-2020, 01:19 PM
Geelong has the 3 worst players for that in the entire league for this: Selwood, Danger & Ablett will go to their death bed complaining about all the free kicks they missed out on over the years.

Add Dawkins to that list.

Sedat
01-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Selwood's greatest legacy will be single-handedly creating the blight of ducking/shrugging/raising the arm to draw free kicks. He is the godfather to everybody else that has used this cynical and ugly tactic since 2006, because it barely existed before Selwood.

jeemak
01-07-2020, 06:30 PM
Selwood's greatest legacy will be single-handedly creating the blight of ducking/shrugging/raising the arm to draw free kicks. He is the godfather to everybody else that has used this cynical and ugly tactic since 2006, because it barely existed before Selwood.

What's wrong with raising an arm and forcing a tackle to go high? If that's wrong then running through a tackle and forcing it below the knees is also wrong?

Is spinning out of a tackle and forcing the arms high or low wrong as well? What about running through the tackle and forcing the tackle high?

I don't see why if you've been tackled around the arms you should just submit. Not being a smartarse, I really don't understand the logic.

Sedat
01-07-2020, 08:30 PM
What's wrong with raising an arm and forcing a tackle to go high? If that's wrong then running through a tackle and forcing it below the knees is also wrong?

Is spinning out of a tackle and forcing the arms high or low wrong as well? What about running through the tackle and forcing the tackle high?

I don't see why if you've been tackled around the arms you should just submit. Not being a smartarse, I really don't understand the logic.
I'm really not a fan of the tactic, Jeemak. It's not illegal but it is cowardly and cynical. And it has created a monster when the AFL didn't stamp down on it when Swlwood started his career.

My Pies mates were all over this in 2007 when Selwood started hia career. I used to bag them for overreacting but they were spot on. It's scourge and a blight on the game IMO and now half the competition does it.

jeemak
01-07-2020, 09:06 PM
I'm really not a fan of the tactic, Jeemak. It's not illegal but it is cowardly and cynical. And it has created a monster when the AFL didn't stamp down on it when Swlwood started his career.

My Pies mates were all over this in 2007 when Selwood started hia career. I used to bag them for overreacting but they were spot on. It's scourge and a blight on the game IMO and now half the competition does it.

Fair enough mate. I guess I look at when I started at Vic Kick in the mid eighties tackling was all about watching the hips and going for the waist. Then it evolved into doing that and trying to pin the arms. That evolved into pinning high up on the arms because it was found that if you went too low arms could be freed up and the ball can be kicked. It's now at a point where tackling is so well trained that a high arm pinned tackle provides little opportunity to dispose of the ball and a perfect lever to deck someone, or forearms are grabbed and the carrier can't dispose of the ball.

With all of the training and evolution of the tackle, shouldn't the onus be on the tackler to make sure the tackle doesn't slip below the knees and above the shoulders? If you don't want to give away a free kick, go for the waist and try and pin the arms there like players used to.

If you want to talk about cynical tactics, you could easily argue the evolution of the tackle in our game is cynical in itself and it's only natural that as tackling gets more sophisticated the onus to ensure a tackle stays legal is more heavily weighted towards the tackler and not the player first to the ball.