PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V GWS Giants R3 2020

Pages : 1 [2]

The Underdog
19-06-2020, 10:56 PM
One of the worlds great mysteries is how did Tom Browne get a job in footy on TV. He’s one of the worlds great *!*!*!*!wits.

jeemak
19-06-2020, 10:57 PM
English had 12 hitouts. Proved he should not be in the ruck. Around the ground he had a big impact. Most marks in the team. Put Sweet in the ruck and give English an end to dominate.

No. You don't know what you're talking about.

The hit out count was inconsequential because our midfield showed up and as a team we lost the hit outs by ten. Ten. That's all.

Having English around the ground as the dominant big man, and not having Sweet around the ground not dominating was so bloody far to the benefit of our team it's not funny.

Take your ten hit out discrepancy and pin it to the mast all you like.

Axe Man
19-06-2020, 10:57 PM
They can not be serious about Naughton being suspended? Was he supposed to hurdle Whitfield?

whythelongface
19-06-2020, 10:59 PM

The hit out count was inconsequential because our midfield showed up and as a team we lost the hit outs by ten. Ten. That's all.

Having English around the ground as the dominant big man, and not having Sweet around the ground not dominating was so bloody far to the benefit of our team it's not funny.

Post of the year.

The Underdog
19-06-2020, 10:59 PM

But....Sweet?

Danjul
19-06-2020, 11:00 PM
Some of the kicking was exceptional as well. We're a side that takes risks, high reward options that look really bad when they don't come off.

Are you happy we won tonight?

Of course.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2020, 11:00 PM
Worth questioning GWS and Cameron's tactics? Must say this rivalry gets my blood boiling and it's great to have.

Having said that, their BS gang tactics is a throwback to yesteryear. Even sending Haynes to the toin coss...

This is CLEARLY the best rivalry in the game and I absolutely hate them.

Axe Man
19-06-2020, 11:01 PM
English had 12 hitouts. Proved he should not be in the ruck. Around the ground he had a big impact. Most marks in the team. Put Sweet in the ruck and give English an end to dominate.

Plays a great game in the ruck, proves he shouldn’t play in the ruck? Happy to debate you but now you are being unreasonable.

Grantysghost
19-06-2020, 11:03 PM
Great win good to stand up maybe it was the perfect tonic playing these guys this week to kickstart our season and eradicate any mental malaise. I thought the ruck would be an issue but glad to be proven wrong English was fantastic, and had good support from the mids. Keath wow, we’ve snagged a ripper.
GWS really stunk though right !? Sucked into their own irrational reality. Cameron the biggest faux tough man ever absolutely epitomises that club. Haynes was a stand out.

Eastdog
19-06-2020, 11:04 PM
Dogs scarf out on my bookshelf

https://i.postimg.cc/N5zCqKyQ/B557932-F-E9-DB-45-AE-B2-FB-104-B58870-B2-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/N5zCqKyQ)

Danjul
19-06-2020, 11:09 PM
Oh come on. It is not always about the stats. We nullified Jacobs influence and allowed English to dominate around the ground. If English doesn’t he play ruck he doesn’t drop back in the defensive hole. He was massive and all you care about is hit outs. Did you take into account that we had, at times, Corey and Dunks in the ruck?

last week Goldstein had 51 hitouts against Jacobs. This week English had 12. We have a different view of the relevance.

HOSE B ROMERO
19-06-2020, 11:10 PM
Dogs scarf out on my bookshelf

https://i.postimg.cc/N5zCqKyQ/B557932-F-E9-DB-45-AE-B2-FB-104-B58870-B2-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/N5zCqKyQ)

And the 2016 book in the background...great bedtime reading Easty.

jeemak
19-06-2020, 11:11 PM
Who is the shit stain leading the post game right now? How the *!*!*!*!ing hell does he appeal to anyone?

HOSE B ROMERO
19-06-2020, 11:12 PM
Four quarters of controlled intensity. Keep that up and the finer points will come.
What a ripper start to the weekend for bulldog lovers.

Eastdog
19-06-2020, 11:12 PM
And the 2016 book in the background...great bedtime reading Easty.

Yep the pictorial record of our 2016 premiership season.

1eyedog
19-06-2020, 11:13 PM
I like it here when we win but I need it when we lose.

Lols

whythelongface
19-06-2020, 11:20 PM
last week Goldstein had 51 hitouts against Jacobs. This week English had 12. We have a different view of the relevance.

Yep we are poles apart. I’m glad I have my view of English’s relevance. Not sure comparing a seasoned campaigner who is still one of the games best rucks to a player still developing his craft is relevant tbh.

Put it this way if English is not in the ruck he doesn’t dominate around the ground.

The Underdog
19-06-2020, 11:21 PM

We halved centre clearances and English had 15 possessions and 7 marks to Jacobs 6 & 1. There’s more to it than pure hit outs

jazzadogs
19-06-2020, 11:22 PM
Is danjul actually Al Clarkson? Loving his strategy of playing Ben Mcevoy at CHB and thinking all ruckman should move there?

SonofScray
19-06-2020, 11:27 PM
Ed Richards run and carry was good to see reemerge, he has some tricks.

1eyedog
19-06-2020, 11:27 PM

His aggression off the ball was just what I wanted to see too.

bornadog
19-06-2020, 11:29 PM
His aggression off the ball was just what I wanted to see too.

He needs to keep using his pace to his advanatge.

jeemak
19-06-2020, 11:29 PM
Of course.

Great!

Maybe jump off your hobby horse and enjoy it! We're very much not the genuine article yet but there were so many positives to talk about and focus on.

kruder
19-06-2020, 11:34 PM
I reckon that was Zaine Cordy's best game since 2016 tonight, actually impacted the contest when the ball was in his area.

Good to see him respond from being dropped.

The bulldog tragician
19-06-2020, 11:36 PM
That was the win we just had to have. I don’t care if it wasn’t pretty, actually I thought it was a thing of beauty.

Our TEAM did not let Bont take the crap all on his own, unlike last year’s meek acceptance of the bullying.

On that I remain mystified with the memory of the reporting of the “Welcome to the kennel” posse in 97, and the fact that the giants are allowed to get away with that rubbish.

As for the Haynes coin toss “statement”...who’s a silly boy now.

What a game from Bailey Smith. The core strength of the kid. He just rips the ball out of hands sometimes.

Whatever Bevo did with our defensive structure, massive kudos. We kept them pinned into our forward zone so many times.

I thought I didn’t care about footy in 2020 but one sighting of those orange jumpers changed mt mind.

I also tipped us to win, just felt our guys are so much better than they’ve shown and their pride was in the line.

Remi Moses
19-06-2020, 11:40 PM
I do wish it was as vocal here in a win as it is when we lose.

Well said! I’ve made a point of this before
I get wearing the lumps like last week , but there’s a few who go awol when we win

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-06-2020, 11:43 PM
That was the win we just had to have. I don’t care if it wasn’t pretty, actually I thought it was a thing of beauty.

Our TEAM did not let Bont take the crap all on his own, unlike last year’s meek acceptance of the bullying.

On that I remain mystified with the memory of the reporting of the “Welcome to the kennel” posse in 97, and the fact that the giants are allowed to get away with that rubbish.

As for the Haynes coin toss “statement”...who’s a silly boy now.

What a game from Bailey Smith. The core strength of the kid. He just rips the ball out of hands sometimes.

Whatever Bevo did with our defensive structure, massive kudos. We kept them pinned into our forward zone so many times.

I thought I didn’t care about footy in 2020 but one sighting of those orange jumpers changed mt mind.

I also tipped us to win, just felt our guys are so much better than they’ve shown and their pride was in the line.

We all have our tipping point. The meekest shall sometimes deign to stand the tallest when they've just had enough. Sometimes it's enough to see blokes wearing an orange guernsey who try to pretend they are more entitled and worthy. Worthy! They have no idea what we've been through! Stuff your faux toughness! We know hardship. We've bred, dread, and shed hardship.

Remi Moses
19-06-2020, 11:45 PM
Gotta say unless the mids have a picnic with those hit outs
They can be futile those stats
Thought English was decent and Jacobs doesn’t offer a lot besides tap outs
FWIW Peter Street would have won multiple Brownlows on tap outs

SonofScray
19-06-2020, 11:46 PM
I didn't enjoy tonight at all, aside from the result. I hate them so much, in real negative way. It strips the joy from the game for me, because I get so focused on hoping they get belted that it's hard to enjoy our work. No belting will ever be enough. I want them to suffer.

It'll take a few more wins before I change my tune on Bevo too. He's lost my trust, whatever that's worth. Happy he performed well at selection and in the box. To me, that was a par result. We should expect that as standard from him and the players.

Eastdog
19-06-2020, 11:58 PM
I didn't enjoy tonight at all, aside from the result. I hate them so much, in real negative way. It strips the joy from the game for me, because I get so focused on hoping they get belted that it's hard to enjoy our work. No belting will ever be enough. I want them to suffer.

It'll take a few more wins before I change my tune on Bevo too. He's lost my trust, whatever that's worth. Happy he performed well at selection and in the box. To me, that was a par result. We should expect that as standard from him and the players.

Winning consistently now is the key. We find that will start going places.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-06-2020, 11:59 PM
Gotta say unless the mids have a picnic with those hit outs
They can be futile those stats
Thought English was decent and Jacobs doesn’t offer a lot besides tap outs
FWIW Peter Street would have won multiple Brownlows on tap outs

Timmy nails those 2 shots.....and he should've.... then he's in the bests.

bornadog
20-06-2020, 12:00 AM
We have some real pace in the team at the moment. JJ, Smith, Richards, Vandemeer - let's use it to our advantage in coming weeks

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-06-2020, 12:03 AM

The previous two (3- including the Elim final) performances sucked. I don't trust us!
I DO love smashing (and all but scoreboard) GWS.... that makes me feel good! It ain't par.
I DO hate one week UP one week DOWN..
If we don't show an equivalent performance in Sydney next week, I will be dirty.

SonofScray
20-06-2020, 12:20 AM
I DO love smashing (and all but scoreboard) GWS.... that makes me feel good! It ain't par.

Very cathartic as a fan. Believe me when I say it is important to me that we beat these pricks. I get joy in their sadness and pain. Tonnes of it.

Ozza
20-06-2020, 12:25 AM
Tim English played with a genuine confidence this week, and at times Jacobs looked genuinely distressed as Tim ran him back and forth and took marks around the ground.

If your take out of that ruck duel was that Tim had 10 less tap outs and therefore didn't win his position, then I'd argue you need a different lens on the game.

Just on Macrae's game, when he is playing well, he makes the game easier for his team mates. Some of his uncontested stats may meet the traditional "getting an easy kick" description - but in reality we NEED to get more easy kicks. Hawthorn beat the premiers last night with 'getting easy kicks' being a uge part of it. It was so important that Macrae is that outlet player at the moment, particularly with Hunter out (who is usually EVERYWHERE for his team mates). That Macrae also had a game high tackles...he really got to work tonight, and its extremely rare that he doesn't "turn up".

jeemak
20-06-2020, 01:24 AM

SoS, how much of what happened tonight was between the ears of the players versus the coach? Honest question.

We literally defended the ground out of our skins tonight and there is no way that's a coaching change within five days. No way. We were harder than we have been and again, a five day break doesn't account for that sort of change.

I get the misgivings around the coach, but, the players are the real issue and tonight they delivered.

jeemak
20-06-2020, 01:28 AM
Tim English played with a genuine confidence this week, and at times Jacobs looked genuinely distressed as Tim ran him back and forth and took marks around the ground.

If your take out of that ruck duel was that Tim had 10 less tap outs and therefore didn't win his position, then I'd argue you need a different lens on the game.

Just on Macrae's game, when he is playing well, he makes the game easier for his team mates. Some of his uncontested stats may meet the traditional "getting an easy kick" description - but in reality we NEED to get more easy kicks. Hawthorn beat the premiers last night with 'getting easy kicks' being a uge part of it. It was so important that Macrae is that outlet player at the moment, particularly with Hunter out (who is usually EVERYWHERE for his team mates). That Macrae also had a game high tackles...he really got to work tonight, and its extremely rare that he doesn't "turn up".

Yep, Jackson is immense mostly and was tonight. I could play him anywhere I wanted to as a coach and know that after a week or so he'd deliver for me. He seems a studious type of player and we're so lucky to have him.

Eastdog
20-06-2020, 02:32 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/719481/match-report-dogs-bite-back-with-giant-win

Match Report | Dogs bite back with GIANT win
After consecutive losses to start the season, a fired-up Bulldogs outfit scored a 24-point win over the GWS Giants in a heated contest on Friday night at Marvel Stadium.

The Western Bulldogs have kickstarted their season with a four-goal win against the GWS Giants.

In a heated contest under the Friday night lights at Marvel Stadium, the Bulldogs kicked the first goal of the game and never trailed, running out 8.9 (57) to 4.9 (33) victors to claim their first win of 2020.

It adds another chapter to the burgeoning rivalry between the two western suburbs outfits.

The Giants set their sights on Marcus Bontempelli before the first bounce, but it was the Bulldogs who gained the early ascendancy with a fierce attack on the ball in a heated opening stanza.

Goals to Josh Dunkley and Bailey Smith got the Bulldogs going, with only missed opportunities in front of goal preventing them from leading by more than nine points at the first change.

DOGS DOWN GIANTS Full match coverage and stats
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/matches/2056

The hosts continued to control the game in the second term, holding the Giants goalless while adding two of their own.

Alex Keath slotted his first major in the red, white and blue – on the run from outside 50 – before Mitch Wallis nailed an important set shot nearing half-time to give his team a 20-point advantage.

Goals were exchanged in the third term, but the Bulldogs’ lead never slipped below that 20 points.

On the stroke of three-quarter time, the returning Tom Liberatore earned a free kick and kicked truly, as players came together from both sides to reignite the fire.

Fittingly, it was Bontempelli who had the final word – kicking the final goal of the game through an opportunistic toe poke – to put the final nail in the Giants’ coffer.

The Bulldogs had winners across every line.

In his first game for 2020, Toby McLean was arguably best afield at half time before finishing with 17 disposals. Fellow inclusions Liberatore (18 disposals) and Zaine Cordy also made telling contributions.

Jack Macrae was the Bulldogs’ leading ball-winner with 24 disposals, Bontempelli worked hard for 16 disposals, Tim English had a presence around the ground and Bailey Smith enhanced his credentials as one of the competition’s rising stars.

Defensively, Alex Keath was superb alongside Cordy in the key posts, while Caleb Daniel (23 disposals) and Jason Johannisen (20 disposals) were brilliant in driving the Bulldogs from defence into attack.

The Bulldogs will next travel north to face the Sydney Swans, at the SCG next Thursday night.

WESTERN BULLDOGS 2.5 4.6 7.8 8.9 (57)
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 1.2 1.4 3.5 4.9 (33)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs: Dunkley, Smith, Keath, Wallis, Richards, Dale, Liberatore, Bontempelli
Greater Western Sydney: Perryman 2, Cameron, Finlayson

BEST
Western Bulldogs: Macrae, Daniel, Liberatore, Keath, English, McLean, Dunkley
Greater Western Sydney: Perryman, Coniglio, Haynes, Hately, Corr

INJURIES
Western Bulldogs: Nil
Greater Western Sydney: Kelly (calf) replaced in selected side by Hately, Whitfield (concussion)

comrade
20-06-2020, 05:18 AM
One thing we need to remember is the Giants side we beat was missing Kelly, Taranto, Greene & Whitfield for the majority.

Take out Bont, Macrae, Smith & Dunkley for us and how do you think we'd go?

azabob
20-06-2020, 07:27 AM

I thought he was good last week up until he went off with his leg injury.

azabob
20-06-2020, 07:30 AM
Ok, what role did Toby McLean play last night and who did he tag?

Based on comments from Beveridge and other players he had a role to play and executed it. Beveridge even referenced he played nearly half a game in defense.

I didn't pick up anything on the tv and i'm fairly sure the commentary team didn't pick anything up

Grantysghost
20-06-2020, 07:51 AM
As an aside apparently Lachie Hunter played....wait for it...for North in the scratch match. Sacrilege!

Stefcep
20-06-2020, 08:23 AM
We won by putting on the relentless pressure on the opposition and the in-tight ball movement. Just as we did in 2016. So why did stop that?

English IMO was our best- imagine if he kicked straight. Imagine if they all did- and why hasn't that been fixed in all of Beveridge's time with us?

Happy with beating the Giant's but not forgetting their outs.

bornadog
20-06-2020, 08:35 AM
As an aside apparently Lachie Hunter played....wait for it...for North in the scratch match. Sacrilege!

Any other news on the scratch match?

Bulldog Joe
20-06-2020, 08:45 AM
It certainly was a great improvement and the ins were really important.

Libba brought something we lack and McLean was terrific.

I liked the game of English, who used his strengths, but we still need to concede he is a long way off at rucking. He just more than compensated with his stuff all over the ground and particularly getting back in defence.

The inability to go to matches really hurts as there is so much more you can see live and then confirm with a replay, but you just don't get it off the TV alone.

Grantysghost
20-06-2020, 08:57 AM
Any other news on the scratch match?
No unfortunately it's hard to find anything. That info was from Mark Steven's Twitter.

whythelongface
20-06-2020, 09:09 AM
One thing we need to remember is the Giants side we beat was missing Kelly, Taranto, Greene & Whitfield for the majority.

Good point comrade. Suppose you can only beat whom you are up against. We really should have put them to the sword early and won by 10 goals.

SonofScray
20-06-2020, 09:21 AM
SoS, how much of what happened tonight was between the ears of the players versus the coach? Honest question.

We literally defended the ground out of our skins tonight and there is no way that's a coaching change within five days. No way. We were harder than we have been and again, a five day break doesn't account for that sort of change.

I get the misgivings around the coach, but, the players are the real issue and tonight they delivered.
A fair question. 80/20 rule rarely lets me down. Shared responsibility, but it's an elastic thing.

He had better tools at his disposal. The selection craziness is well discussed. There was a Freo game last year I think, we lost, but felt similar. Pulled the obvious strings and things swung favourably. Moreso than the form line would suggest it could have.

I liked his press conference. It was a bloke enjoying the spoils of victory. Sounds like he tweaked things to a degree, especially around McLean's function. Deployed Libba well.

The ruck situation was more a broken clock being right at least twice a day. English was terrific. The match up cherry ripe for him.

The outs for GWS were handy. We can only play who they put out though, so I'm not going to strip too much away on that front. Still, I'm not inclined to swing wildly from wanting him sacked to plonking credits in the bank just yet. Flip side to that is, if he keeps making sensible decisions and we keep seeing footy we can be proud of, regardless of results, the credits will stack up again.

The bulldog tragician
20-06-2020, 09:23 AM

We should have won by 10 goals if we’d made the most of our dominance, so I believe we’d have still won. Many of their stars were putrid last night whereas from second gamer Laith To our captain, everyone had a moment.

Stefcep
20-06-2020, 09:43 AM
Good point comrade. Suppose you can only beat whom you are up against. We really should have put them to the sword early and won by 10 goals.

On the after game show, the one with Cooney co-hosting- the other host said GWS could have still won it, and he was right- if they took their chances (and yes we could have won by 10 if we took ours).

I don't think there is enough attention on what has been a problem for the entire time Beveridge has coached, even in 2016. Our finishing is and has remained one of the worst in the league.

We shouldn't rely on the opposition missing for us to win games we dominate.

We've never finished above 6th in the regular season under Beveridge was another point that was made, and that again IMO is due to our abysmal finishing.

How can the finishing not be fixed after-5 (?) pre-seasons, and however many players coming in and going out, i just don't know.

Sedat
20-06-2020, 09:43 AM

This is true but they had more out in last year's PF and were still good enough to beat the filth. They don't lack for depth on their list.

I reckon the result is the same last night regardless of personnel if the effort and intent of both teams was the same.

soupman
20-06-2020, 10:01 AM
It's so nice enjoying watching and tqlking about the footy again. Both reassuring that we showed what we are capable of and frustrating that we have been putting in the kind of performances we have when we have the ability to do this.

English to his credit was great. Around the ground he was phenomenal and a real aerial presence and should have kicked goals, his ruckwork was interesting. Still syruggled to get actual hitouts but that's possibly the first time ive seen him get actual proper hitouts to advantage, and he really quelled any impact Jacobs had at the ballups.

Bailey Smith is a jet. I know it's early days but he could be our best player if it all comes together even with Bont at the club
He is like a tough wrecking ball Cooney.

Still think the team structure needs tweaking, Dale, Wallis, Lloyd and Libba is too many slow forwards. I want two of them out for guys with pace and pressure, although Libba certainly brought the latter.

Very enjoyable night, but we need to back it up and prove we can consistently not be bullied out of games before we really learn what we are capable of.

The Pie Man
20-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Great Win tonight, boys stood up.

Some observations

* Not sure what was wrong with Sucklings kicking tonight, completely off.

* Three turnovers resulted in easy goals to them, they only kicked 4 for the match

* Bruce will get better - needs to but is a real presence in the Fwd line

* Naughton not confident in the air like last year, but will improve.

* Libba, just brilliant - those that wrote him off look again.

* Lloyd - is he cooked?

* Dale - mmmmm

Overall so happy

Lloyd’s pressure was better last night (along with the group) but not convinced he’ll bring that each week.

Would rather Dale to Lloyd, despite that snap clanger in the last, far out.

I loved Libba last night, was fun seeing a bit of attitude from us

anfo27
20-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Very happy with the effort last night. Yeah they had players out last night but it doesn't matter. Its about us & our journey & this was a big step in the right direction. Alot of skill errors last night but the 4 quarter effort was a pleasure to see & something to build on.

Love having libba back. His pressure skills & ability to win the ball back in close is the best in the comp. His decision making with the ball to is bloody good.

SonofScray
20-06-2020, 11:52 AM
On the after game show, the one with Cooney co-hosting- the other host said GWS could have still won it, and he was right- if they took their chances (and yes we could have won by 10 if we took ours).

I don't think there is enough attention on what has been a problem for the entire time Beveridge has coached, even in 2016. Our finishing is and has remained one of the worst in the league.

We shouldn't rely on the opposition missing for us to win games we dominate.

We've never finished above 6th in the regular season under Beveridge was another point that was made, and that again IMO is due to our abysmal finishing.

How can the finishing not be fixed after-5 (?) pre-seasons, and however many players coming in and going out, i just don't know.
Just on that post game show. Cam Luke was making a ridiculous argument about Bevo, saying he is safe for 20 years. On his own terms. Because of 2016.(granted, I think he mentioned he might not have extended his contract early, which is fair)

One of the reasons I have made a point of going hard on Bevo is to counter that sort of thinking. I know in my family and friendship group that belief isn't out of place, and I suspect within the club it is there too. How is that attitude good for us? It sells us short.

If we want more flags in our life time, he has to perform. The whole club does.

GVGjr
20-06-2020, 12:49 PM

The North players wouldn't kick the ball to him

BornInDroopSt'54
20-06-2020, 01:10 PM
Christ this should be over.

It is my son.

bornadog
20-06-2020, 06:37 PM
I watched the replay today and no way would I drop Bruce. He really has some presence up forward and was involved in alot of goals through tackling, presenting, and using his size. He also flew the flag many times. A shame he couldn't drill the two shots he had had goal.

I am happy we have a big bloke up there in the forward line with the young Naughton.

jeemak
20-06-2020, 06:40 PM
This is true but they had more out in last year's PF and were still good enough to beat the filth. They don't lack for depth on their list.

I reckon the result is the same last night regardless of personnel if the effort and intent of both teams was the same.

Tend to agree. Last night's game was played between the ears and had each side been at full strength the same outcome would have ensued given the intent be brought to the game versus the intent GWS did.

Bulldog Joe
20-06-2020, 06:49 PM
Round 3 under Beveridge throws up an interesting fact.

We have been victorious only in 2018 and 2020 after being atrocious in rounds 1 and 2 both years.

In each of the other year we have been round 3 losers after winning the 1st 2 rounds
2015 - 70 point loss to Hawthorn in Launceston
2016 - 3 point loss to Hawthorn at Docklands (Murphy knee game)
2017 - 16 point loss to Dockers in Perth
2019 - 5 point loss to Gold Coast at Docklands.

I actually knew all this before the game but still didn't believe we would turn it around giving how putrid we were in Rounds 1 and 2.

2018 also started with 2 putrid performances before getting a 21 point victory over Essendon in round 3.

Avoid the rush
20-06-2020, 08:01 PM
Yea! Finishing is the coaches fault. WHAT the!! He doesn't kick it.

Jam Donuts
22-06-2020, 10:00 AM
I watched the replay today and no way would I drop Bruce. He really has some presence up forward and was involved in alot of goals through tackling, presenting, and using his size. He also flew the flag many times. A shame he couldn't drill the two shots he had had goal.

I am happy we have a big bloke up there in the forward line with the young Naughton.

Entirely agree, I have watched the replay 3 times so far and have commented many times about Bruce and his flying the flag, he did well and hopefully keeps it up.

bornadog
22-06-2020, 03:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr4JSFXM69o

bornadog
22-06-2020, 03:54 PM
I love this

Bevo half time

" So as you go back out there, look into each others eyes, make the commitment all over again to protect each other, to look after each other, and play the game as hard and as physical as you did in the first half "

Great coach, never sack him, couldn't stand seeing him at another club.

comrade
22-06-2020, 04:00 PM
Entirely agree, I have watched the replay 3 times so far and have commented many times about Bruce and his flying the flag, he did well and hopefully keeps it up.

Yeah, I think he comes good with more game time. Just too heavy at the moment to really cover the ground like he's capable of at his best, but he should improve as the season progresses (unless COVID takes over).

bornadog
22-06-2020, 04:05 PM
From Players assoc

Western Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

While debate continues about who will be the better player from the 2018 AFL Draft – Sam Walsh or Connor Rozee – young Bulldog Bailey Smith is quietly going about his business. Against the Giants, the former No. 7 pick collected 17 disposals at 94 per cent efficiency, had four inside 50s and four score involvements, laid three tackles and kicked a goal. Smith has cemented himself in the Bulldogs’ midfield and is giving fans plenty to be excited about.

G-Mo77
22-06-2020, 05:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr4JSFXM69o

Do they do these every week? I always love seeing behind the scenes footage like this.

bornadog
22-06-2020, 05:19 PM
Do they do these every week? I always love seeing behind the scenes footage like this.

I haven't seen it for rounds 1 and 2

jeemak
22-06-2020, 05:20 PM

I don't reckon they'd publish them if they did actually film them!

Danjul
22-06-2020, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I think he comes good with more game time. Just too heavy at the moment to really cover the ground like he's capable of at his best, but he should improve as the season progresses (unless COVID takes over).

If he is not fit let him trim down somewhere other than full forward. He has hardly kicked the ball and is part of the reason the team has only 20 goals after 3 games. Our back pocket has more goals than our full forward. Considering that Sydney has been scoring 50% more than us it is time to bring in a better kick (Schache?)

GVGjr
22-06-2020, 05:59 PM

Coincidence I'm sure but those rounds were losses

ledge
22-06-2020, 06:19 PM
Any news on Dunkley ?

Hotdog60
22-06-2020, 07:05 PM
Any news on Dunkley ?

Out for a couple of weeks with a high ankle sprain.

The bulldog tragician
22-06-2020, 07:29 PM
Out for a couple of weeks with a high ankle sprain.

Damn. I really liked his performance on Friday.

bornadog
02-08-2022, 02:13 PM
“WE GOT IT WRONG”: EX-GWS COACH OPENS UP ON INFAMOUS COIN TOSS MOVE (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/02/we-got-it-wrong-ex-gws-coach-opens-up-on-infamous-coin-toss-move/)

Former GWS coach Leon Cameron has opened up on an infamous pre-match move that he admits backfired badly.

In Round 3 of 2020, the Giants sent Nick Haynes to the coin toss for a clash against the Western Bulldogs in place of Stephen Coniglio. The year prior, Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli fractured Haynes’ larynx in an incident that left the Giants fuming after the skipper wasn’t suspended.

Haynes would go on to miss two weeks with the injury, and the Giants exacted some sort of revenge when targeting Bontempelli in the 2019 Elimination Final and restricting him to 13 disposals in GWS’ 58-point win.

Speaking on the decision to send Haynes instead of Coniglio in 2020, Cameron admitted it was the wrong call.

“I think we went a little bit too far,” Cameron told SEN’s Crunch Time two years later.

“It was actually just decided right at the end, it was Stephen Coniglio’s first year as captain.

“We went out there and said, ‘okay, let’s send Haynes to the coin toss because of last year and all that sort of stuff’.

“So we got that wrong, I think we all put our hands up at the time.

“It can bite you in the bum and I think the Bulldogs came out and smashed us in that game, they won every indicator, and we were pushed to the side, it was the opposite to the year before.

“We got it wrong, and you’ve got to put your hand up.”

The move back in 2020 left Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge confused at the time.

"The Haynes thing … it was peculiar," Beveridge said after the match.

"I wasn't sure if he had a milestone. If he didn't, it was strange."

Meanwhile, Cameron had claimed the decision was based around sharing opportunity, telling reporters in his post-match press conference: “we give a lot of opportunities to our leadership group.”

Cameron and the Giants parted ways earlier this year. The 49-year-old coached 94 wins from his 180 games in charge.

EasternWest
02-08-2022, 11:15 PM
Someone smart and handsome on this forum has said repeatedly that Cameron's a prick, and here's some more evidence.

Bulldog4life
03-08-2022, 08:23 AM
Someone smart and handsome on this forum has said repeatedly that Cameron's a prick, and here's some more evidence.

I've never seen anyone on this forum so sorry can't confirm it EW.

EasternWest
03-08-2022, 03:52 PM
I've never seen anyone on this forum so sorry can't confirm it EW.

Well I can confirm.