PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Sydney Swans R4 2020

Pages : 1 [2]

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-06-2020, 11:17 PM
Seeing him in the flesh in the VFL a few times last year and watching more mature players routinely bounce off him in contests all I could think was struth, the lad already belongs in the ones.

He's hard as f**k, maybe even harder than the old man.

Even the holding the ball against him, highlighted his skill. He tried to wear a tackle with the confidence that he could get his arms free in order to feed a teammate with an uncontested shot on goal.
I want Rhylee to stay in the team. He has got it.

Dry Rot
25-06-2020, 11:20 PM
Seeing him in the flesh in the VFL a few times last year and watching more mature players routinely bounce off him in contests all I could think was struth, the lad already belongs in the ones.

He's hard as f**k, maybe even harder than the old man.

OK, you have seen a bit of West Jr.

Totally agree about the toughness, but tonight he did so many little things so well.

comrade
25-06-2020, 11:23 PM
All our kids showed plenty.

And we look so much quicker with Smith, Richards, Vanders & Butler in the side.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-06-2020, 11:27 PM
I'm sure Papley got 3 goals being marked by Cordy.
Cordy still won I reckon... is that contentious?????
How bizarre, I reckon that was a good game from Zaine.... yet the TV seems to show him being the one trailing Papley on the marking contests.
TV lies...

comrade
25-06-2020, 11:30 PM
How bizarre, I reckon that was a good game from Zaine.... yet the TV seems to show him being the one trailing Papley on the marking contests.
TV lies...

Some of the delivery to Papley was unstoppable.

Zaine was very good tonight.

Rocket Science
25-06-2020, 11:30 PM
OK, you have seen a bit of West Jr.

Totally agree about the toughness, but tonight he did so many little things so well.

Absolutely, he's very composed in tight, built to weather a contest but clever in the cauldron with very good awareness of the situation and the opportunities around him.

He's basically Libba's heir apparent sans the Simpsons tatts and the ringmaster's 'stache, but there's still time.

Dry Rot
25-06-2020, 11:36 PM
Thoughts on Richards? Potential wingman?

Dry Rot
25-06-2020, 11:38 PM
Absolutely, he's very composed in tight, built to weather a contest but clever in the cauldron with very good awareness of the situation and the opportunities around him.

He's basically Libba's heir apparent sans the Simpsons tatts and the ringmaster's 'stache, but there's still time.

Bont, Macca, Dunks, Smith, Libba, West.....Interesting bunch of hard mids.

1eyedog
25-06-2020, 11:42 PM

I thought he was good at times. Was hard at the ball and provided good run and carry.

jeemak
25-06-2020, 11:59 PM
TV lies...

Some of the delivery to Papley was unstoppable.

Zaine was very good tonight.

Sometimes there's nothing you can do when on a player like Papley. If you over-anticipate he'll get you on the other side, if you sit on a shoulder and there's a bit of space then perfect delivery, which what was what we saw tonight, will get you.

FrediKanoute
26-06-2020, 01:02 AM

Yes. He is a natural winger. Its his best position. Top player.

GVGjr
26-06-2020, 06:28 AM
Was that Plough's son umpiring the game tonight?

Yes, he knew he wouldn't make it as a footballer and loves being an umpire

GVGjr
26-06-2020, 06:30 AM
Libba hardly touched the ball in the second half, I guess he ran out of puff, as did a couple of others with two men down plus three games in 12 days.

He should enjoy the break and be primed for round 5

jeemak
26-06-2020, 08:26 AM
It's great waking up after a Thursday game knowing that while you don't have a game of footy on the weekend to look forward to, you already have a win locked away.

Makes the weekend more enjoyable.

Daughter of the West
26-06-2020, 09:33 AM
If I never heard Jobe Watson speak again that would be fine.

He's atrocious.

I died at the half time break when he referred to Bailey Smith as a "great preparator".

Brain cells committed suicide right there.

Jeez it was nice to get up and see this result - I ducked out at 3/4 time and was worried about being two down on the bench. The one year old and four year old got the highlights package at breakfast :D

bornadog
26-06-2020, 09:35 AM
I know some people don't like talking about young players, but what it tells you is a bright future.

Under 21 years old - Played last night

Richards, Ed
20yr 11mth

Naughton, Aaron
20yr 6mth

West, Rhylee
19yr 11mth

Smith, Bailey
19yr 6mth

Butler, Louis
18yr 9mth

and Still to come

Weightman, Cody
19yr 5mth

Garcia, Riley
19yr 4mth

Khamis, Buku R
20yr 3mth

and quite a few guys in the 22 year bracket. The captain is only 24.

Great future.

azabob
26-06-2020, 09:59 AM
TV lies...

I thought Crozier was on him for one goal - his first one from memory.

Ozza
26-06-2020, 10:35 AM
I know some people don't like talking about young players, but what it tells you is a bright future.

Under 21 years old - Played last night

Richards, Ed
20yr 11mth

Naughton, Aaron
20yr 6mth

West, Rhylee
19yr 11mth

Smith, Bailey
19yr 6mth

Butler, Louis
18yr 9mth

and Still to come

Weightman, Cody
19yr 5mth

Garcia, Riley
19yr 4mth

Khamis, Buku R
20yr 3mth

and quite a few guys in the 22 year bracket. The captain is only 24.

Great future.

And we haven't added Jamarra yet......

The Bulldogs Bite
26-06-2020, 10:45 AM
Worth sparing a thought for Naismith - apparently did his knee for a second time, after recently losing his sister.

Hopefully he gets the support he needs in and out of footy. Terrible news.

Eastdog
26-06-2020, 12:34 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/733309/match-report-dogs-sink-swans-square-the-ledger

Match Report | Dogs sink Swans, square the ledger
A captain's performance from Marcus Bontempelli has helped guide the Western Bulldogs to its second straight win, this time defeating Sydney by 28 points at the SCG on Thursday night.

A determined performance on the road has seen the Western Bulldogs claim a 28-point victory against the Sydney Swans.

Skipper Marcus Bontempelli owned the big moments in a best on ground performance at the SCG on Thursday night, as an injury-depleted Bulldogs outfit made it back-to-back wins.

An ankle complaint saw Aaron Naughton’s night finished in the first quarter, while fellow forward Sam Lloyd (shoulder) played little part after half time.

But the Bulldogs matched their four-quarter effort from a week prior against the Giants, despite four goals to star Swan Tom Papley, to run out 10.7 (67) to 5.9 (39) victors.

Both sides wore black armbands and observed a minute's silence pre-game to honour Australian Football Hall of Fame Legend John Kennedy snr, the grandfather of Swans co-captain Josh Kennedy, who played his 250th AFL match.

The result gives the Bulldogs a 2-2 ledger, after starting 2020 with two losses.

It was all Bulldogs in the opening half.

The Swans went goalless in the opening term and could only manage one by half-time due to the Bulldogs’ fierce pressure, as majors to Bailey Dale, Naughton, Lloyd, Laitham Vandermeer and a pair to Bontempelli gave the visitors a five-goal lead at the major break.

There was a response from the home side in the third term, but they couldn’t capitalise on the scoreboard.

Bontempelli had 12 disposals to go with the two majors at half-time, but a Callum Mills tag negated his impact in the third term.

The Swans could only manage 1.5 for the term though, after Josh Bruce snagged the first goal after half-time.

From there, the Bulldogs found a response when the Swans pushed again in the final term.

Goals to the returning Rhylee West, and an opportunistic Jack Macrae toe-poke gave the Bulldogs some breathing space.

Ruckman Tim English capped off another strong performance with the final goal of the game, finishing with an equal team-high 22 disposals to go with 17 hit-outs and six marks.

Ball magnet Jack Macrae (22 disposals) was also prominent, while young midfielders Bailey Smith (20 disposals, five clearances) and Pat Lipinski (20 disposals) found plenty of the ball and debutant Louis Butler (14 disposals) looked at home.

After three games in the past 12 days, the Bulldogs will now have a longer break ahead of a round five clash with North Melbourne next Saturday night.

SYDNEY 0.1 1.3 2.8 5.9 (39)
WESTERN BULLDOGS 3.2 6.3 7.4 10.7 (67)

GOALS
Sydney: Papley 4, Kennedy
Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli 2, Dale, Naughton, Lloyd, Vandermeer, Bruce, West, Macrae, English

BEST
Sydney: Papley, Parker, Heeney, Kennedy, Lloyd
Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Smith, Macrae, English, Daniel, Crozier

INJURIES
Sydney: Nil
Western Bulldogs: Naughton (ankle), Lloyd (shoulder)

bornadog
27-06-2020, 04:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgAIgTbnpd8

Eastdog
27-06-2020, 05:11 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/733795/key-takeaways-round-4

Key takeaways: Round 4
The talking points from the Western Bulldogs' Round 4 win over Sydney.

1. Captain Courageous

Marcus Bontempelli may be a young captain, but he sure knows how to lead by action.
His first half against the Swans was sensational, going into the main break with an impactful 12 disposals and two goals to his name.
But it was two courageous ‘back with the flight’ marks which would have inspired his teammates most.
The first, with eyes only for the ball across half back, looked almost effortless and knocked the air out of Swans star Isaac Heeney.
The second, inside 50 and followed by a goal, added to the five-goal lead the Bulldogs accumulated before half time.

2. Determined defence

Defenders rarely get the plaudits they deserve.
But for the past fortnight, the Bulldogs’ backs have been at the top of their game.
The Swans – and Giants – could each only manage one goal before half-time, and no more than 40 points come full time.
Alex Keath is already proving a great acquisition, alongside Zaine Cordy in the key defensive posts, while the Bulldogs’ rebounding brigade has been effective in turning defence into attack.
Caleb Daniel (17 disposals), Hayden Crozier (16 disposals), Bailey Williams (14 disposals) and Jason Johannisen (13 disposals) provide a range of threats for teams to counter.

3. Youth prevails

It’s hard to believe, but remarkably, the Bulldogs will have fielded the youngest and least experienced team in the AFL by the time round four comes to a close.
Only seven players from the 2016 premiership side ran out against the Swans, with the Bulldogs fielding seven players aged 21-or-under.
In terms of average age (24 years, two months) and games played (71.1) the Bulldogs will have been the least experienced of any team in the AFL this week – while they were the only side not to field a player with 150 games or more to their name.
The Bulldogs’ young guns more than held their own – with the likes of Tim English, Bailey Smith and Pat Lipinski among the key contributors to the win.