PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 3, 2020 vs GWS Giants

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-06-2020, 06:27 PM
This is the round 3, 2020 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against GWS is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
19-06-2020, 10:33 PM
Bump

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-06-2020, 11:14 PM
Bankers

1. Our spirit.. it had to be a non negotiable and we stood tall
2. Bailey Smith pure class, he can be a genuine hurt factor and tough midfielder, to help Bont.
3. Bailey Williams. That was a working class, but mistake free performance. 100 more of those please.

If Timmy had've snuck a goal in he would've been in.
Anchors
1. Hello old friend. woeful execution and finishing.
2. JJ, Suckling, Lloyd and Dale. That's multiple week's with woeful disposal. At some point they need to pay the price.
3. Umpiring. Irrespective of the free kick count, we copped some ordinary holding the ball's

comrade
19-06-2020, 11:20 PM
2. JJ, Suckling, Lloyd and Dale. That's multiple week's with woeful disposal. At some point they need to pay the price.

At least 2 of them can not play next week (Suckling & Dale) and the other 2 are on a knife’s edge.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-06-2020, 11:22 PM
At least 2 of them can not play next week (Suckling & Dale) and the other 2 are on a knife’s edge.

It really sucks we don't have 2nd's footy.. I really hope Dickson has a great week on the track. If so he comes in.

G-Mo77
19-06-2020, 11:40 PM
Bankers

Bont. Those pieces of shit come at him hard. Didn't whine, didn't complain just played football.

Norts with the straight line run at the football. Another Giant falls. Hahaha.

Bailey Smith. What a gem, looks like a 150 game+ vet.

Anchors

Haynes coin toss. If I could roll my eyes anymore I'd be cross eyed.

Goal kicking. Not good enough.

Suckling's kicking or not kicking. Kick the bloody thing properly!!

Hotdog60
19-06-2020, 11:40 PM
Bankers

1. We didn't go meekly into our shells
2. Smith needs a long term contract asap
3. English lesson tonight was a very good game.

Anchors

1. Channel 7 camera work
2. Channel 7 director needs sacking I'd want to see the footy not other shit off the field.
3. Channel 7 commentary team

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-06-2020, 11:44 PM
Bankers

1. We didn't go meekly into our shells
2. Smith needs a long term contract asap
3. English lesson tonight was a very good game.

Anchors

1. Channel 7 camera work
2. Channel 7 director needs sacking I'd want to see the footy not other shit off the field.
3. Channel 7 commentary team

Timmy could've had a top shelf game, had he hit the scoreboard. He competed well, and used his advantage around the ground over Jacobs.

bornadog
19-06-2020, 11:51 PM
Bankers

1. The whole team for not taking a backward step against the thugs

2. Bont, he is a real captain and showed he was cool and calm.

3. Naughton's straight running, first Whitfield copped it and another GWS just got out of the way and chickened out

Anchors

1. Goalkicking, some players didn't even make the 40 metres - kick through the bloody ball

2. Suckling - not sure why he couldn't kick tonight

3. Dale, Lloyd - very little contribution, so disappointing.

jazzadogs
20-06-2020, 12:21 AM
Bankers

1. Our spirit.. it had to be a non negotiable and we stood tall
2. Bailey Smith pure class, he can be a genuine hurt factor and tough midfielder, to help Bont.
3. Bailey Williams. That was a working class, but mistake free performance. 100 more of those please.

If Timmy had've snuck a goal in he would've been in.
Anchors
1. Hello old friend. woeful execution and finishing.
3. Umpiring. Irrespective of the free kick count, we copped some ordinary holding the ball's

I was actually very happy with the umpiring, especially early. They set the standard that faux tough man garbage off-the-ball would be penalised, which was sadly missing from the umpires in the final last year.

bornadog
20-06-2020, 12:40 AM
I was actually very happy with the umpiring, especially early. They set the standard that faux tough man garbage off-the-ball would be penalised, which was sadly missing from the umpires in the final last year.

I agree, I saw no influence on the game by bad umpiring. Yes that final, I blame the umpires for being weak as piss

westbulldog
20-06-2020, 12:51 AM
Bankers
1. Our attitude and manic tackling was back to 2016 style.
2. Liberatore, how valuable is this bloke to the team.
3. The Bont, knew it was coming, took it in his stride and captained the winning team.

Anchors
1. inaccuracy, too many set shots missed.
2. Dale and Lloyd not producing to the level we need from small forwards.

Ozza
20-06-2020, 01:00 AM
Bankers:

Libba - thought he was really significant. Held on to the ball long enough to find the right option, just really calm in the furnace, and a one grab player, which I love.
Bont - Influential. Took it up to the giants. Is playing huge game time, and ran more km's than anyone on the ground for the second week in a row. Is happy to do the grunt work.
McLean - Fantastic first half when we needed it. Big run down tackle on Whitfield early set the tone. Composed with the footy.

Anchors:

Goal kicking. Same old. Left the door open.
Suckling's kicking. He actually had some good moments in contests but undid good work.
Tom Browne trying to sink Naughton. If Naughton's actions were reportable, then I'm not sure I'm watching footy anymore.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-06-2020, 01:04 AM
Bankers:

Libba - thought he was really significant. Held on to the ball long enough to find the right option, just really calm in the furnace, and a one grab player, which I love.
Bont - Influential. Took it up to the giants. Is playing huge game time, and ran more km's than anyone on the ground for the second week in a row. Is happy to do the grunt work.
McLean - Fantastic first half when we needed it. Big run down tackle on Whitfield early set the tone. Composed with the footy.

Anchors:

Goal kicking. Same old. Left the door open.
Suckling's kicking. He actually had some good moments in contests but undid good work.
Tom Browne trying to sink Naughton. If Naughton's actions were reportable, then I'm not sure I'm watching footy anymore.

Tom Browne. stain on underpants.

ledge
20-06-2020, 01:13 AM
Is Tom Browne filling in for Barrett ?

Eastdog
20-06-2020, 01:16 AM
Is Tom Browne filling in for Barrett ?

Maybe he is a proxy for Barrett.

Ozza
20-06-2020, 01:31 AM
Think Bailey Dale is getting a harsh wrap tonight. Kicked a very important goal. Set up Wallis' goal just before quarter time which was big - and obviously duffed a chance to ice the game when he kicked the ground and we didn't see it until 10 minutes later. Never going to be his sort of game when its pretty scrappy/in tight. He is what he is, a finisher type at best who does his best work in a free flowing game. There aren't too many games being played at the moment that suit forwards.

Dry Rot
20-06-2020, 02:51 AM
Bankers

Absorbing the faux tough guy crap from the Orange pond scum and winning

Libba and Maclean returning well

Wiliams belongs, should never be dropped

Anchors

Shit goal kicking

Suckling, Dale and Lloyd

Channel 7 commentators

Sedat
20-06-2020, 03:29 AM
Bankers:
1. I really liked our defensive set up this week. We played far too high with our defensive press last week and got burnt badly and easily going the other way. Tonight we held our defensive shape much better which, coupled with our pressure on the GWS ball carrier, rendered their F50 entries ineffective. English also worked extremely hard to provide aerial cover down back.
2. McLean was excellent in the 1st half, when it mattered. Run down tackles are a real statement of intent that feeds the rest of the team.
3. Richards - very impressive start to the season, after having the 2nd year blues last year.

Anchors:
1. Goal kicking - rinse and repeat
2. Lloyd - Gowers copped a lot of flak last week and was rightly dropped but Lloyd was just as ineffectual in our F50 and was no better tonight. In the gun.
3. Careless and sloppy field kicking - JJ, Suckers, Crozier and Dale the worst offenders tonight. Ball is hard to win and it is frustrating to gift it back to the opposition.

SonofScray
20-06-2020, 03:39 AM
Think Bailey Dale is getting a harsh wrap tonight. Kicked a very important goal. Set up Wallis' goal just before quarter time which was big - and obviously duffed a chance to ice the game when he kicked the ground and we didn't see it until 10 minutes later. Never going to be his sort of game when its pretty scrappy/in tight. He is what he is, a finisher type at best who does his best work in a free flowing game. There aren't too many games being played at the moment that suit forwards.

Dale was just OK. Marginally better than poor. He worked hard.I'd keep him in and see that Lloyd gets a rest.

soupman
20-06-2020, 11:13 AM
Agree with all Sedats points. On the first one regarding defencd it seemed like we were set up much deeper in the event of a turnover. It meant we were able to slow them down and at least contend when we turned it over cheaply. The only time they seemed to manage to truly outnumber us was the one where Jong denied them.

Remi Moses
20-06-2020, 11:25 AM
Anchor- what DR said . Piss weak pseudo tough guy crap from them . The mind games nonsense from Leon having Haynes Toss the coin
Anchor Execution cost us an 8 goal win
Thought with covid cuts would have sorted the wheat from the chaff in afl media , come on down Tom Browne

Remi Moses
20-06-2020, 11:27 AM
Bankers - intensity effort was great tonight .
- English , has copped some flak but he was good
- Libba is massive in this team . Physical presence and helps out the Bont

Remi Moses
20-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Just a footnote
I think Alex Keath is a 500 grand a year player

Remi Moses
20-06-2020, 11:32 AM

I agree with this
He’s going to be a finisher and will look good when we are rolling
When we’re struggling . Not so

jazzadogs
20-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Agree with all Sedats points. On the first one regarding defencd it seemed like we were set up much deeper in the event of a turnover. It meant we were able to slow them down and at least contend when we turned it over cheaply. The only time they seemed to manage to truly outnumber us was the one where Jong denied them.

I can only think of one or two instances where got a fast play out of defence. We manned the mark so well, covered options down the ground and ran hard to move the zone when they tried to switch. I was really impressed.

It was almost Richmond-like how there was always a Bulldog arriving on the mark within one second of the mark being taken - forcing them to slow down, push back and take their kick, which gave our players up the field time to set up and cover the outlets.

The bulldog tragician
20-06-2020, 02:23 PM
Banker:

1. Bevo's post match description of the Haynes incident about which the Acronyms purport to be so outraged: "the incidental contact when Haynes left his kick late and slipped under the shoulder of Marcus." Well played sir.

2. Bont, for not lowering himself to that level, absorbing physical punishment and mental pressure, and still being able to deliver two beautiful laser passes, and the matchwinning goal.

3. The fact that everyone - nice guys like Crozier, wide-eyed second gamer Laith, bull-at-a-gate Bailey Smith, new recruits and every single player - signalled that Bont would not be alone this time.

Anchors.

1. Coin toss fake heroics. Spare me. You embarrassed yourself.

2. Suckling's kicking - urggh. It's meant to be his main weapon!

3. 'Dailey Bailey'...imagine if THAT non-kick had cost us the match.

bornadog
20-06-2020, 03:14 PM

Is he ever going to lay a tackle? 1 tackle in 4 matches (zero last night )

bornadog
20-06-2020, 03:17 PM
Banker:

1. Bevo's post match description of the Haynes incident about which the Acronyms purport to be so outraged: "the incidental contact when Haynes left his kick late and slipped under the shoulder of Marcus." Well played sir.

2. Bont, for not lowering himself to that level, absorbing physical punishment and mental pressure, and still being able to deliver two beautiful laser passes, and the matchwinning goal.

3. The fact that everyone - nice guys like Crozier, wide-eyed second gamer Laith, bull-at-a-gate Bailey Smith, new recruits and every single player - signalled that Bont would not be alone this time.

Anchors.

1. Coin toss fake heroics. Spare me. You embarrassed yourself.

2. Suckling's kicking - urggh. It's meant to be his main weapon!

3. 'Dailey Bailey'...imagine if THAT non-kick had cost us the match.

Nice one BT

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Is he ever going to lay a tackle? 1 tackle in 4 matches (zero last night )

That's a damning stat. How can you have 1 tackle in 4 games? Surely that's actually impossible.

bornadog
20-06-2020, 07:31 PM
That's a damning stat. How can you have 1 tackle in 4 games? Surely that's actually impossible.

Sorry I made a mistake, two tackles in last four games.

If you don't get the ball in the forward line, surely you can chase and tackle.

Bumper Bulldogs
20-06-2020, 08:39 PM
Bankers
1. Our attitude and manic tackling was back to 2016 style.
2. Liberatore, how valuable is this bloke to the team.
3. The Bont, knew it was coming, took it in his stride and captained the winning team.

Anchors
1. inaccuracy, too many set shots missed.
2. Dale and Lloyd not producing to the level we need from small forwards.

This and solely this. Well summed up.

ratsmac
21-06-2020, 08:04 PM
Bankers

1. Standing up to the Orange's crap and using it against them. It motivated us out of a form slump.Definite banker.

2. The form of Bailey Smith. Tough, skillful, quick, smart and good looking. Men want to be him and women want to be with him. But seriously, the kid can play. In a season where we as a team have struggled for clean skills, he is a shining light. His game the other night was another example of his good form. 94% disposal efficiency for a player who plays inside and outside is outstanding.

3. Libba. Is it a coincidence that we look harder in close with him back and fit, maybe but his return gave us a definite edge we lacked and it was contagious.

Anchors

1. Goal kicking, again. I was nervous that it might cost us. Lucky it didn't. Let's not test our luck anymore.

2. Blatant skill errors. Cost us 2 goals against and add in Bailey Dale' s scuff attempt at goal that's at least 1 for us. Footy is full of errors, it's footy but some things should be better executed at the top level.

3. Covid 19. I would have loved to experience that game live!

S Coast Simon
21-06-2020, 08:28 PM
Bankers
Williams decision to take this AFL caper seriously. He is a gun in the making

Libba was awesome. Gave a little niggle to everyone he came across. His hands in close are sensational

The Bont. Not flustered by any of their crap. Great captains game

Could add a heap more bankers. Smith Keath English Naughton running through blokes is a thing of beauty

Anchors
goal kicking could of had the game over a lot sooner

JJ. A definate improvement but not up to his standard. Excused for having a little one at home taking away his attention

Lloyd is struggling. Seems Like the flea is knocking on the door