PDA

View Full Version : Three things you have learned-round 4 v the Swannies 2020

Twodogs
25-06-2020, 06:29 PM
Tell us three things that you've learnt tonight.

GVGjr
25-06-2020, 10:51 PM
bump

Hotdog60
25-06-2020, 11:29 PM
1: The Bont is growing into the captains role.
2. We have a good bunch of kids
3. Channel 7 still sucks

Vred
25-06-2020, 11:33 PM
1. Dale might vanish at times but when he bobs up you notice him. Played hard tonight, body on the line at times, just what we needed from him
2. Bont is finally playing the footy he was late last year, and putting it through the goals as well
3. Naughton down had more of an impact than what you might realize. Much needed cog in our machine.

Dry Rot
25-06-2020, 11:43 PM
1. West is the real deal

2. Backline is working really well, dunno where Wood and Dureyea fit in?

3. Williams now playing like a veteran of quality

westbulldog
25-06-2020, 11:51 PM
1. Vandermeer and West will be around for awhile
2. Dale is capable of playing with vigour, lets see that every game.
3. Bruce flies the flag as a good team man but looks overweight.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-06-2020, 11:53 PM
1. We have even more promising youth in 2020, than we did in 2019......
2. Maybe.... English at his best...redefines what a ruckman should be/do? It felt like he was important all night.. but if you were ONLY looking solely at the centre bounces that would not have been the impression you would've gleaned.....and your assessment based only that would've been wrong... Maybe our MC know or are trying to engineer that. Let's face it.. if centre bounces become inconsequential then........all of a sudden English may be a massive influence on our game.
3. West needs to stay... there are half moments that you just see, right now. that don't bely the pedigree he has. He is without doubt a 200 gamer in the making. No doubt.

bornadog
26-06-2020, 12:28 AM
1. Channel 7 was worse than ever -Barracking for Swans all night and just excruciating inane words coming out of both BT and Mcavaney.

2. We have genuine speed and can move the ball quickly

3. The Bont - Captain Courageous .

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-06-2020, 12:32 AM
1. We have even more promising youth in 2020, than we did in 2019......
2. Maybe.... English at his best...redefines what a ruckman should be/do? It felt like he was important all night.. but if you were ONLY looking solely at the centre bounces that would not have been the impression you would've gleaned.....and your assessment based only that would've been wrong... Maybe our MC know or are trying to engineer that. Let's face it.. if centre bounces become inconsequential then........all of a sudden English may be a massive influence on our game.
3. West needs to stay... there are half moments that you just see, right now. that don't bely the pedigree he has. He is without doubt a 200 gamer in the making. No doubt.

You're a Pillock...!!

Oh.. hang on that's me...

Well that's.. oh f$#%

ratsmac
26-06-2020, 12:33 AM
1. English has an incredible tank. He ran over 12 km and 98% time on ground. Great game again running his opponents into the ground.

2. The footy gods still have it in for is. Naughton was looking like he was about to tear this game apart and then does some innocuous looking injury and is out of the game. Fingers crossed its nothing major.

3. Bruce looks a yard too slow. He is trying hard but is getting beaten to the ball by his opponent. Lose weight mate.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-06-2020, 12:34 AM
1. Channel 7 was worse than ever -Barracking for Swans all night and just excruciating inane words coming out of both BT and Mcavaney.

2. We have genuine speed and can move the ball quickly

3. The Bont - Captain Courageous .

It was absolutely putrid wasn’t it? So many times they were calling for free kicks that clearly weren’t there. Bruce has never played the game and that’s blatantly obvious but BT should know better. Calebs scrub kick in the last quarter to I think a leading Richards, Bruce thought he probably did it on purpose. The guy is so clueless and at this stage in his career he provides very little value

1eyedog
26-06-2020, 12:35 AM
1. Josh Kennedy is my favourite non-Bulldogs player. All class.

2. Noticing a real maturity growing in Bont

1. Crozier is shit hot at footy

Twodogs
26-06-2020, 12:44 AM
It was absolutely putrid wasn’t it? So many times they were calling for free kicks that clearly weren’t there. Bruce has never played the game and that’s blatantly obvious but BT should know better. Calebs scrub kick in the last quarter to I think a leading Richards, Bruce thought he probably did it on purpose. The guy is so clueless and at this stage in his career he provides very little value

At one stage BT called Cunningham "Seymour". The last time anyone called Seymour played with the Swans was in 2003.

Fair dinkum if I was as shit at my job as BT is I would have been sacked years ago. Probably some time around 2003. :rolleyes:

comrade
26-06-2020, 08:46 AM
1. Channel 7 is the worst. Fancy doing a live cross between an 18 year old debutant and his family directly after the game, and asking questions like "which parent was more supportive?". Bunch of f***ing hacks.

2. Rylee West is a stud. We've been crying out for a Picko/Clay Smith replacement forward of centre, and one has fallen in our lap.

3. I think our footy LOOKS better with only 1 of Dunkley & Macrae in the middle. Whether that has anything to do with actually winning, I'm not sure.

Remi Moses
26-06-2020, 08:56 AM
One team in Sydney is classy
The other is GWS

Mofra
26-06-2020, 09:15 AM
1. Rhyee West was certainly not subject to any mix-up at the hospital as a baby

2. Dropping Cordy for a game was a masterstroke. He looks hungry again

3. Bont will never run onto a football field without a tag again. What the hell was Horse thinking in the first half?

jeemak
26-06-2020, 09:43 AM
Check out this match report in The Age, particularly the votes...…

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/emotions-high-for-swans-skipper-kennedy-as-bontempelli-inspired-bulldogs-complete-sydney-sweep-20200625-p556ar.html

VOTES
9 Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)
8 Jackson Macrae (Western Bulldogs)
8 Tom Papley (Sydney)
7 Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs)
7 Mitch Wallis (Western Bulldogs)

English a touch stiff to miss out!

bornadog
26-06-2020, 09:55 AM

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/emotions-high-for-swans-skipper-kennedy-as-bontempelli-inspired-bulldogs-complete-sydney-sweep-20200625-p556ar.html

VOTES
8 Tom Papley (Sydney)

That is a joke

1eyedog
26-06-2020, 09:58 AM
That is a joke

Ruckman - hitouts. Ridiculous.

SonofScray
26-06-2020, 10:04 AM
1. Dutch has a bit of go in him. Absolutely gave it to Rampe at one point and was really dirty on himself when he got outmarked later on. Some real passion in his game, I love seeing it.

2. JJ is playing himself back into form, something has ticked over for him. Just a smidgen harder at it this fortnight and all of a sudden he's in the contest and finding space again. The tweak to the defensive set up has saved his career.

3. I have a lot of shit friends coming out of the wood work because I have been vocal about an underperforming Bevo since 2018. 13 different "I told you so" type messages post game. As if somehow I might not have enjoyed our win and his performance. I stand by my comments. He does not have an endless line of credit stemming from the flag. He cannot just piss away the careers of our young stars. He must perform. This was one of 8 games since 2018 where regardless of the result, the coach can take a bow and bank some significant credits. I'm all for it. Keep it up. There is a very sharp axe waiting if it drops off significantly.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-06-2020, 10:20 AM
At one stage BT called Cunningham "Seymour". The last time anyone called Seymour played with the Swans was in 2003.

Fair dinkum if I was as shit at my job as BT is I would have been sacked years ago. Probably some time around 2003. :rolleyes:

He also thought Lipinski was Josh Bruce. Poor Patrick

comrade
26-06-2020, 10:26 AM
3. I have a lot of shit friends coming out of the wood work because I have been vocal about an underperforming Bevo since 2018. 13 different "I told you so" type messages post game. As if somehow I might not have enjoyed our win and his performance. I stand by my comments. He does not have an endless line of credit stemming from the flag. He cannot just piss away the careers of our young stars. He must perform. This was one of 8 games since 2018 where regardless of the result, the coach can take a bow and bank some significant credits. I'm all for it. Keep it up. There is a very sharp axe waiting if it drops off significantly.

I thought last night was the closest we've been to our 15/16 style.

Manic pressure, run from half back, ultra quick hands in close. It was all there.

We are lacking that Picko/Clay Smith 1-2 punch combo, but Rylee West is a nice start.

The bulldog tragician
26-06-2020, 10:30 AM

VOTES
8 Tom Papley (Sydney)

Given it includes a photo of Bont several hairstyles ago presenting it as though it’s from last nights game, the credibility of the whole report isn’t great!

The bulldog tragician
26-06-2020, 10:31 AM
I thought last night was the closest we've been to our 15/16 style.

Manic pressure, run from half back, ultra quick hands in close. It was all there.

We are lacking that Picko/Clay Smith 1-2 punch combo, but Rylee West is a nice start.
You ruling out our new Hard Man/enforcer Bailey Dale?

Mofra
26-06-2020, 10:48 AM
In terms of front half toughness, West/Wallis have it. Neither are anywhere near Picko's ability in the air which was superb for a player of his size.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-06-2020, 11:18 AM
1. I really like Vandermeer. A lot. He plays with passion and energy. Quick feet, runs hard, dirty on himself when he makes a mistake, gives it to the opposition when he outpoints them. Unlucky not to kick that second goal but for him to back up 3 games in 12 days is a great effort.

2. West is going to be important for us. He's improved a fair bit from last year already based on last night. Looks like an 80 game player, uses his body so well in contests and typically uses it well by foot/hand. Suspect he plays more forward for now which will see him have some quiet games, but he's quality.

3. Cordy getting dropped should be a reminder to the MC that sometimes it needs to be done to senior players. He's been very good since returning.

soupman
26-06-2020, 11:20 AM
In terms of front half toughness, West/Wallis have it. Neither are anywhere near Picko's ability in the air which was superb for a player of his size.

Although Wallis has this bizarre ability to get caught in a wrestle with his opponent and then effectively get punched in the gut by the footy when it arrives. Amazingly unique marking style.

bornadog
26-06-2020, 11:21 AM
3. Cordy getting dropped should be a reminder to the MC that sometimes it needs to be done to senior players. He's been very good since returning.

Best thing the MC did, he has been very good the past two weeks.

Funny how we call him a senior player when he is only 23.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-06-2020, 11:33 AM

Does feel like he's been around for a good 8-10 years!

Ozza
26-06-2020, 11:46 AM
1. Fake crowd noise is better than real SCG noise, because you don't have to hear the constant booing at decisions they don't understand.

2. The team still has some real grit there. Missing Dunks & Hunter already - and having Naughts and Lloyd go down during the game - a very young side gutted it out.

3. English has run opposition ruckman into the ground 2 weeks in a row. Big big challenge against Goldy next week.

jeemak
26-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Although Wallis has this bizarre ability to get caught in a wrestle with his opponent and then effectively get punched in the gut by the footy when it arrives. Amazingly unique marking style.

He is an excellent contested mark in exactly the way you mention. Whereas Picken was exceptional overhead Wallis leaves things to the last minute to out position his opponent in a wrestle and as you say, get punched in the gut by the footy.

bornadog
26-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Does feel like he's been around for a good 8-10 years!

It does, doesn't it.

Played in GF in his 11th game at age 19

Ozza
26-06-2020, 11:49 AM

Cordy having played in a premiership so early in his career has probably meant that he hasn't been the beneficiary of the sort of patience and understanding a young (somewhat undersized) key back would normally get. His sheer competitiveness makes the team better, perhaps the 1 game out of the side, is the push he needed to be back playing on the edge.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-06-2020, 12:29 PM
It does, doesn't it.

Played in GF in his 13th game at age 19

Wow i must admit that is a real eye opener for me. Completely overlooked how young he actually is

Twodogs
26-06-2020, 01:13 PM

He is an excellent contested mark in exactly the way you mention. Whereas Picken was exceptional overhead Wallis leaves things to the last minute to out position his opponent in a wrestle and as you say, get punched in the gut by the footy.

Was I seeing things last night or did Wally headbutt the ball? He was tackled from behind and he didn't have time to handball the ball so he just sort of bounced it off his forehead instead to a player a couple of metres in front of him. It was in the second half.

Ozza
26-06-2020, 01:15 PM
It does, doesn't it.

Played in GF in his 13th game at age 19

Actually only his 11th!!! (sorry to be picky!). Games 8,9,10,11 were the finals - fair initiation!! And we had Dunkley playing his 17th, and Mclean is 19th. Feels like they've all been around forever.

jeemak
26-06-2020, 01:17 PM
Daniel was a 33 game veteran by the time the grand final rolled around, Hamling had played a whopping 22 games.

Twodogs
26-06-2020, 01:26 PM
Cordy having played in a premiership so early in his career has probably meant that he hasn't been the beneficiary of the sort of patience and understanding a young (somewhat undersized) key back would normally get. His sheer competitiveness makes the team better, perhaps the 1 game out of the side, is the push he needed to be back playing on the edge.

I have always liked his mongrel. He's not overly violent or a thug, He doesn't go out of his way to start fights or pick players off but if he has to hurt somebody then he will. He doesn't big note himself like a faux tough guy but he's just the type of player that I wouldn't want to find myself between the ball and him.

It's a really rare quality in a player. There are heaps of players who glory in the tough stuff and there are a lot more who are just out and out thugs. Zaine's quality is different though.With him it's like it's nothing personal and he doesn't glory in the violence. For Zaine it's just the price of doing business.

I think that's what went missing out of his game. That sense of mongrel and players asking themselves where the hell Zaine Cordy is as they ran to a contest.

Remi Moses
26-06-2020, 04:22 PM
1. Bont’s mark set the scene . Follow me
2. Kept Sydney to their lowest ever half time score . Two weeks running
3. Bevo backs the kids in , and always has

DOG GOD
26-06-2020, 04:28 PM
1. Westy looks to be a good one on one player too, and will only get stronger. Good hands like Libba. Learn the craft around half fwd with mid rotation and he will play ALOT of games.

2. The interrupted preseason/break etc has not helped Bruce. Can’t even get off the ground. He needs a diet.

3. The last 2 games we have showed hunger, determination and team work. Just goes to show what can be accomplished when everyone is on the same page.

josie
26-06-2020, 06:52 PM
He also thought Lipinski was Josh Bruce. Poor Patrick

At least twice!! I was astounded.

kruder
26-06-2020, 11:38 PM
1. Rhyee West was certainly not subject to any mix-up at the hospital as a baby

2. Dropping Cordy for a game was a masterstroke. He looks hungry again

3. Bont will never run onto a football field without a tag again. What the hell was Horse thinking in the first half?

Cordy has been great since being dropped agree. The question is though should it happened last year?

jeemak
27-06-2020, 01:23 AM
Cordy has been great since being dropped agree. The question is though should it happened last year?

With respect, that's a question for last year.

I get starting a response with "with respect" means no respect is forthcoming, but that's not the case here. It's a new year, he was dropped and he's seemingly come back.

Mitcha
27-06-2020, 12:55 PM
1. Hit outs are the most over rated stat in modern football. I would rather have what Tim English did at ground level on Thursday night compared to the three Swans talls input. Back the midfielders in to win the contested footy regardless of who gets the tap. Most ruckmen get towelled up by Grundy , it's no disgrace, he's only 22 and will only get better.
2. Our kids are exciting but most importantly look at home immediately, they add some dash (Butler, Vandermeer) and some toughness (Smith, West). I know some like to compare Rylee to his old man which is entirely fair but to me he plays like Jack Viney and will eventually get some midfield minutes but more than happy with him playing as a contested pressure forward until that time comes.
3. Our fitness levels are impressive. We had the youngest 22 over the round and were playing our third game in 11 days with 2 soldiers down and yet were still running on top of the ground at the final siren.

merantau
28-06-2020, 04:03 PM
1. English is a very skilled big man. Definitely headed for a long career at the top.
2. West is tough and will cement his place in the team this year.
3. Our pressure was the best it has been for a long time.