PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Vs Carlton Round 6 2020

Scraggers
04-07-2020, 11:56 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 5 match against North Melbourne for our Round 6, 2020 match against Carlton at Metricon on Sunday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bornadog
05-07-2020, 12:31 AM
This is going to be difficult assuming Smith and Vandermeer pass the concussion test. May also depend on who decides not to go to GC. My gut feeling is Wally may decide not to go as his baby is only two weeks old.

In Hunter

Out Wallis (if he doesn't go to GC)

jazzadogs
05-07-2020, 02:17 AM
This is going to be difficult assuming Smith and Vandermeer pass the concussion test. May also depend on who decides not to go to GC. My gut feeling is Wally may decide not to go as his baby is only two weeks old.

In Hunter

Out Wallis (if he doesn't go to GC)

Bevo said in his press conference that all the boys are going to GC, and they are hoping to bring partners and children. He seemed very confident that the AFL would approve families - I think the boys who are not yet married/have kids will get a few weeks of bachelor living.

He also essentially confirmed that Hunter would be coming in through the mid/forward rotations, but potentially not on a wing. He alluded to him playing an inside role during the scratch match, and performing well.

Where does that leave us for changes? I actually though Laitham had a depressed cheekbone when he was coming off, but seems to just be concussion - hopefully he gets up. Same for Bazlenka.

Lipinski and West are the last in to the mid/fwd rotations, but both played well enough to stay.

I would be happy with Jong (possibly injured anyway) for Hunter. Otherwise Vandermeer/Smith for Hunter if they don't get up.

Next in line to come in: Cal Porter, Ferg Greene (I want to see him given a chance this season), Butler. Last in line: Billy.

Ozza
05-07-2020, 02:21 AM
Would have thought Hunter replaces Vandemeer. I think it is prudent to be conservative with the recovery from concussion of a first year player, and Hunter must come in. Hopefully Baz comes up - but I'm not against him being given another week also.

jeemak
05-07-2020, 03:35 AM
I just want to say how much I miss Always Right.

He'd relish this game. To his young fella who still posts on this board, thankfully, mate what a legend your dad was.

jeemak
05-07-2020, 03:39 AM
It was in a lot of ways a pretty tough game.

Latham and Baz will most likely miss next week. Hunter to replace Baz, and I reckon Suckling will come back in for Latham.

Hotdog60
05-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Out:
Smith and Vandermeer (Now days concussion usually means a week off)

In:
Hunter and Weightman or Greene (I had forgotten about Fergus until I did the ratings thread)

If Jong doesn't come up I'd go for Butler

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2020, 09:04 AM
I am concerned that Crozier gets a week for the sling tackle.

Butler would probably be in line for his spot.

Hotdog60
05-07-2020, 11:26 AM
In Bevo's members message he noted Trengove, Porter, Hunter and Weightman playing well in the scratch match so if you can take anything out of that those 4 may be in the mix.
Also mentioned Jong may miss some weeks even though he battled on.

GVGjr
05-07-2020, 11:28 AM
I would suggest both Smith and Vandermeer will miss and Bevo flagged that Ling struggled through the game

So, in Hunter, Suckling and Hayes/Weightman

Mofra
05-07-2020, 11:29 AM
Out: Jong, Smith, Vendermeer

In: Hunter, Weightman, Porter

Remi Moses
05-07-2020, 11:29 AM
I am concerned that Crozier gets a week for the sling tackle.

Butler would probably be in line for his spot.

There is no way known he goes for that
Free kick , but he had the ball

Happy Days
05-07-2020, 11:31 AM
I would suggest both Smith and Vandermeer will miss and Bevo flagged that Ling struggled through the game

So, in Hunter, Suckling and Hayes/Weightman

Bruh

Happy Days
05-07-2020, 11:35 AM
I don't mind the no risk approach with concussions, but it's a real shame if Smith and Vandermeer have to miss, particularly the latter who was having a pretty incredible game up until his incident. Still we suddenly look very deep again so won't mind them being spelled.

I'd bring in Cavarra ahead of Weightman and Hayes. Get a terrible feeling we're going to get Gowers though.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-07-2020, 11:41 AM
Out: Jong
In: Hunter

It was clear Jongy hurt his ankle again but he fought the game out well. I’m hoping Smith and Vanda will be fine to go. I’ll be honest, I know nothing about concussions and protocols that should be taken but their concussions where what I would consider light (from a football perspective).

And please no way known Crozier gets a week for that tackle. Please no.

The good thing is we now seem to have great depth so I’m not too worried against the blues if we have to replace a couple.

On a side note, why are we playing Sunday night before then playing Friday night against Essendon??? Surely we could have been slotted in the Saturday arvo. Or even the early Sunday game.

Go_Dogs
05-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Out: Smith, Vandermeer, Jong (all injured)

In: Hunter, Butler, Hayes

Big outs - all three have had great moments and are important players with their speed and points of difference.

GVGjr
05-07-2020, 12:11 PM
I don't mind the no risk approach with concussions, but it's a real shame if Smith and Vandermeer have to miss, particularly the latter who was having a pretty incredible game up until his incident. Still we suddenly look very deep again so won't mind them being spelled.

I'd bring in Cavarra ahead of Weightman and Hayes. Get a terrible feeling we're going to get Gowers though.

If you look at the emergencies for the North game then Gowers must be a big chance

EasternWest
05-07-2020, 12:15 PM
If you look at the emergencies for the North game then Gowers must be a big chance

Please no

GVGjr
05-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Please no

He wouldn't be my preference. Butler makes sense but with Wood coming back we are chock full of defenders

comrade
05-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Please no

Yeah, why can't GVG let us just bask in the sunshine of our win and enjoy our Sunday?

Any Gowers talk can be left until Monday, surely?

:cool:

soupman
05-07-2020, 12:29 PM
I just want to say how much I miss Always Right.

He'd relish this game. To his young fella who still posts on this board, thankfully, mate what a legend your dad was.

He loved it when faux tough guys got put in their place and Norf were right up there for fauxghness.

I'm not quite a young fella anymore but.

Mantis
05-07-2020, 07:17 PM
Reports are that Crozier has been a 1 week ban for the sling tackle.

Like how?

bulldogsthru&thru
05-07-2020, 07:21 PM

Like how?

Yep 1 week. Because it’s the AFL and they have no idea why they make the decisions they do

The Adelaide Connection
05-07-2020, 07:33 PM

Like how?

Has to be challenged, surely? It’s been classed as medium impact. Medium. How?

comrade
05-07-2020, 07:33 PM
Arms weren't pinned, tackle was completed in 1 action. Absolute BS.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-07-2020, 07:43 PM
And Burgoyne got a fine for much worse.

GVGjr
05-07-2020, 07:45 PM

Tackled his opponent around the waist but there was medium impact with the player coming off the ground.
It's close but he should not get a week

comrade
05-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Tackled his opponent around the waist but there was medium impact with the player coming off the ground.
It's close but he should not get a week

It didn't linger, the opponent wasn't dumped after he got rid of the ball, it was all done while the NM player had the ball.

I hope we challenge.

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2020, 08:14 PM
It didn't linger, the opponent wasn't dumped after he got rid of the ball, it was all done while the NM player had the ball.

I hope we challenge.

We never challenge and it is the outcome I expected. The only player of ours that could get away with it wears number 4.

There is a profile element in every MRO decision.

He did sling and the North player had a cut above the eye from hitting his head on the ground.

I can't see where we really have anything to challenge.

Grantysghost
05-07-2020, 08:21 PM

Its chooklotto

josie
05-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Thinking like for like players.....

Out: Vander (waiting for opportunity to say “Vander and Young” - not arisen yet though), Smith and Crozier

In: Hayes, Porter (reckon Bevo might let him debut), Butler or La Young

Would love Weightman or Greene to have a go but Westy and Dale doing too well

If Jong does not recover then Butler and La Young

ratsmac
05-07-2020, 08:33 PM
We never challenge and it is the outcome I expected. The only player of ours that could get away with it wears number 4.

He did sling and the North player had a cut above the eye from hitting his head on the ground.

Really? Burgoyne exhibit A

Exibit B would have to be the fact that the north player has both hands free and chose to hang onto the ball instead of protecting his own head.

That's our case but I doubt we challenge (we never do) if we do we won't be successful because we are the Western Bulldogs.

azabob
05-07-2020, 08:48 PM
Is the Burgoyne case relevant since they changed the rules?

Not exactly sure what rules have been changed.

Remi Moses
05-07-2020, 08:59 PM
I think what’s classified as a sling and what isn’t needs to be clarified
There’s to many grey areas
He was tackled while hatching the ball and didn’t have his arms pinned
All in one motion
Surely two motions are a sling

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2020, 09:04 PM
Really? Burgoyne exhibit A

Exibit B would have to be the fact that the north player has both hands free and chose to hang onto the ball instead of protecting his own head.

That's our case but I doubt we challenge (we never do) if we do we won't be successful because we are the Western Bulldogs.

Burgoyne case is of no precedent value, because the AFL have already stated it was wrong and tightened the rules.

Burgoyne also benefited from the Profile player discount.

We also need to acknowledge that the onus is on the tackler and the North player did hit his head on the ground.

Remi Moses
05-07-2020, 09:10 PM
So what happens when a player tackled pops a shoulder when tackled into
The ground ? There’s way to many grey areas here .

Remi Moses
05-07-2020, 09:11 PM
It’s a tackle contact sport
This is going to happen

Mantis
05-07-2020, 09:11 PM
Burgoyne case is of no precedent value, because the AFL have already stated it was wrong and tightened the rules.

Burgoyne also benefited from the Profile player discount.

We also need to acknowledge that the onus is on the tackler and the North player did hit his head on the ground.

The onus needs to be on the player being tackled to protect himself as well.

Remi Moses
05-07-2020, 09:15 PM
He wasn’t slung , I guess that’s the point
It was in the tackle while he had the ball .
Players will hold on and brace for the tackle as they know they get some leverage
So where does this leave any tackle that results in injury

josie
06-07-2020, 09:44 AM

Out: Vander (waiting for opportunity to say “Vander and Young” - not arisen yet though), Smith and Crozier

Forgot Hunter - in straight away instead of Hayes.

Ozza
06-07-2020, 10:27 AM
I think we need to seriously consider Trengove this week. I know the defence has been functioning very well - but I think Carlton's very tall forward line should mean we consider having JT come in.

Hopefully the 8 day break enables a few of the sore or concussed players recover in time. But I'm sure we will also be considering the short break afterwards before the Essendon match.

GVGjr
06-07-2020, 10:47 AM
I think we need to seriously consider Trengove this week. I know the defence has been functioning very well - but I think Carlton's very tall forward line should mean we consider having JT come in.

Hopefully the 8 day break enables a few of the sore or concussed players recover in time. But I'm sure we will also be considering the short break afterwards before the Essendon match.

I'm as concerned about the likes of Martin and Betts in their forward line

westbulldog
06-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Crozier's 1 week ban must be challenged, nothing in it. A long time ago some wanker cost Chris Grant a Brownlow, a relative of that wanker is obviously still around the AFL ranks.

bornadog
06-07-2020, 11:53 AM

Bevo mentioned him in his press conference after the game. Said he played well in the scratch match.

Bulldog Revolution
06-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Is Trengrove a possible in to play on Levi Casboult?

Bulldog Revolution
06-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Its a good idea to consider Trengrove for Casboult

Mantis
06-07-2020, 06:25 PM
Stevo has tweeted that Jong has a low-range syndesmosis injury and is likely to be on the sidelines for a few weeks... the poor guy can't take a trick!

comrade
06-07-2020, 06:31 PM
Stevo has tweeted that Jong has a low-range syndesmosis injury and is likely to be on the sidelines for a few weeks... the poor guy can't take a trick!

Massive heart to play out the game and give us the extra rotation. Feel for the guy.

NoseBleed
06-07-2020, 06:34 PM
The way Jong went back with the flight was brave as you could ask for, just unlucky to get nailed as the NM kid landed.

Axe Man
06-07-2020, 06:37 PM

What's with all the syndesmosis injuries in the last few weeks across the league? I don't think I had ever heard of it before Libba famously suffered the injury late in the 2016 season.

Bulldog Joe
06-07-2020, 06:39 PM

So what we used to know as a sprained ankle.

Axe Man
06-07-2020, 06:41 PM
So what we used to know as a sprained ankle.

High ankle sprain - it's not your typical sprained ankle.

Bulldog Joe
06-07-2020, 06:50 PM
High ankle sprain - it's not your typical sprained ankle.

I know.

But we only had ankle sprains in my playing days. Syndesmosis seems to be a recent diagnosis that we never heard of until the last 5 years or so.

1eyedog
06-07-2020, 06:50 PM

You just knew it wasn't good the moment he landed (fell over) back into that aerial contest. Kudos for returning to the ground while it was still warm to help with our rotations.

jeemak
06-07-2020, 07:02 PM
I had a feeling it wasn't great for him, and that he was probably jabbed up when he went down to the rooms.

Pretty sure the terminology has just been updated to reflect what the actual injury is, whereas suggesting an ankle injury was good enough in the past. Journalists and the broader footy media are so thorough and well researched now that they will always make sure to get aspects of stories as close to bang on as they possibly can...…….

:rolleyes:

swampdau
06-07-2020, 08:01 PM

and yet... https://www.afl.com.au/news/462401/bulldog-to-challenge-sling-tackle-ban-at-tribunal

anfo27
06-07-2020, 08:27 PM

I like the reference. I didn't even think of that. We were the easybeats the first 2 rounds as well & i do have Friday on my mind already!

Bulldog Joe
06-07-2020, 08:30 PM
and yet... https://www.afl.com.au/news/462401/bulldog-to-challenge-sling-tackle-ban-at-tribunal

Hope we are successful, but we don't have a great record.

We have also neglected to challenge a few times that I thought we were really harshly treated, but when we did with Redpath we were shafted even more.

jeemak
06-07-2020, 08:40 PM
Hope we are successful, but we don't have a great record.

We have also neglected to challenge a few times that I thought we were really harshly treated, but when we did with Redpath we were shafted even more.

Ironically it's how the AFL should be encouraging tackles. Arms not pinned, player free to keep the ball moving, and given the opportunity to protect himself. Player can choose to hang onto the ball for longer to find the perfect option, but risks own health and a holding the ball or incorrect disposal free kick if they choose to do so.

Now of course, given the logic in that, the AFL will continue to shoot itself in the foot.

GVGjr
06-07-2020, 10:05 PM
Its a good idea to consider Trengrove for Casboult

It makes semse

Sedat
07-07-2020, 01:15 AM
What's with all the syndesmosis injuries in the last few weeks across the league? I don't think I had ever heard of it before Libba famously suffered the injury late in the 2016 season.
Marc Murphy had one the same season that Libba had his, and he missed almost the entire season. Libba coming back within 5 weeks to play such a pivotal role in our 2016 finals campaign and premiership was the stuff of legend.

kruder
07-07-2020, 01:33 AM
Syndesmosis is the new osteitis pubis

jeemak
07-07-2020, 02:30 AM
I think Ed Richards is in line for me.

Watching the replay he just thins too many normal kicks going forward. It doesn't mean he's a bad player, it is definitely in his head but all of his kicks are instep or toe oriented and falling short and he needs to be trained out of it.

And this for mine isn't something that is attitude related and talked out of, he needs a spell and some time with less pressure to execute or just practice. His feet aren't keeping up with his head and they haven't for a while.

Mantis
07-07-2020, 09:04 AM

Watching the replay he just thins too many normal kicks going forward. It doesn't mean he's a bad player, it is definitely in his head but all of his kicks are instep or toe oriented and falling short and he needs to be trained out of it.

And this for mine isn't something that is attitude related and talked out of, he needs a spell and some time with less pressure to execute or just practice. His feet aren't keeping up with his head and they haven't for a while.

Agree with this... if we're going like for like (with Hunter) Ed hasn't nailed down a wing spot just yet. Not getting enough of the ball, not kicking it well enough and not involved enough defensively at present.

The tools are all there, but his game needs refining.

1eyedog
07-07-2020, 09:15 AM

I do agree with you but there was one instance kicking to the Footscray end where Bruce was outnumbered two to one. Ed had two choices kick the ball in the air and give it back to North Melbourne or chaos ball it in and hopefully force a stoppage so we could reload in front of goal or force it out of bounce. I believe he chose the latter on purpose.

For me Ed's run and carry is super important to the team. He's playing ok.

soupman
07-07-2020, 10:16 AM
I think Richards has been really good this season. Really positive with the ball in hand and with his pace and low trajectory kicks has hurt factor that few others on our list have. I'd much rather pump games into him than drop him for anyone else, Hunter coming in is fine but Jong out is sufficient.

comrade
07-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Richards can definitely clean up his disposal but I think that comes with being comfortable at the level, which you only get through experience. I hope we keep pumping games into him.

josie
07-07-2020, 01:12 PM
I like the reference. I didn't even think of that. We were the easybeats the first 2 rounds as well & i do have Friday on my mind already!

Good one!!

mjp
07-07-2020, 01:49 PM
Syndesmosis is the new osteitis pubis

Not really. It's just as 'reverse' ankle sprain that's being reported differently. Whenever someone has missed a month with a sprained ankle in the past it has been syndesmosis.

I agree it is being reported a lot more now though...used to be called a 'high' ankle sprain.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Conditions are likely to be wet Sunday night on the Gold Coast. Given this I don’t think Carlton will go in too tall so it probably leaves out Trengove coming in. I’m feeling Hunter for Jong might be the only non-forced change. Perhaps Schache for a small forward (Weightman or Cavarra) if it’s really going to throw it down.

Question: does a wet match play in our or carltons favour? I would think ours

Hotdog60
07-07-2020, 06:38 PM
Conditions are likely to be wet Sunday night on the Gold Coast. Given this I don’t think Carlton will go in too tall so it probably leaves out Trengove coming in. I’m feeling Hunter for Jong might be the only non-forced change. Perhaps Schache for a small forward (Weightman or Cavarra) if it’s really going to throw it down.

Question: does a wet match play in our or carltons favour? I would think ours

If we lean towards a small forward because of the wet in Weightman or Cavarra I think you have to go with Cavarra for more experience and coming from Willy he would handle the conditions better I would think.

Mantis
07-07-2020, 08:23 PM
Crozier's appeal failed so he's a definite out.

bornadog
07-07-2020, 09:16 PM
Crozier's appeal failed so he's a definite out.

So we have two outs in Jong and Crozier, plus I think Vanda may not make it

In Hunter, Butler, Porter

Rocket Science
07-07-2020, 09:46 PM
So we have two outs in Jong and Crozier

In Butler, Porter

Assuming both Vander & Bazlenka are cleared to play.

Either way I half suspect Suckers gets a reprieve.

Before I Die
07-07-2020, 10:17 PM
Unless i have missed something, I would have though Hunter for Jong was a no-brainer.

Suckling for Crozier, if Suckling is over whatever was affecting his kicking.

With two players under concussion clouds it is likely that one will not come up, in which case I hope Porter is given a chance to debut.

Axe Man
07-07-2020, 10:50 PM
So we have two outs in Jong and Crozier

In Butler, Porter

4 weeks not enough for Hunter?

bornadog
07-07-2020, 11:46 PM
4 weeks not enough for Hunter?

I knew I forgot someone :o

FrediKanoute
08-07-2020, 03:33 AM
Out: Jong, Crozier, (maybe Smith & Vanders)

In: Hunter, Butler (maybe Dicko & Suckers)

FrediKanoute
08-07-2020, 03:35 AM
I do agree with you but there was one instance kicking to the Footscray end where Bruce was outnumbered two to one. Ed had two choices kick the ball in the air and give it back to North Melbourne or chaos ball it in and hopefully force a stoppage so we could reload in front of goal or force it out of bounce. I believe he chose the latter on purpose.

For me Ed's run and carry is super important to the team. He's playing ok.

Agree......love what Richards brings to the team - attacking mid that can run and deliver the ball well - those wormburners were superb. His output this year and ability to impact a game is already higher than his last 2 years. Big part of out side.

jeemak
08-07-2020, 10:00 AM
If Ed's kicking into the forward line was problematic enough for the coach to call out in his presser then for me it's probably a bit of a stretch to make excuses for him and agree that he purposely kicked chaos balls.

In each instance a better kick would have given his tall forwards who were competing well throughout the day a fighting chance.

I like what he brings when he's running at the defence and kicking well. He's not doing the latter at the moment.

1eyedog
08-07-2020, 10:57 AM
As per my previous post I generally agree I was using one instance as an example where he made a decision based on the risk of the kick. He certainly needs to clean up his disposal; however, bear in mind he usually kicks it running flat out increasing the level of difficulty considerably.

Aside from his kicking he's been quite pivotal at times as we transition from the middle of the ground forward. Has become more aggressive this season as well. Like what I'm seeing.

jeemak
08-07-2020, 11:17 AM
As per my previous post I generally agree I was using one instance as an example where he made a decision based on the risk of the kick. He certainly needs to clean up his disposal; however, bear in mind he usually kicks it running flat out increasing the level of difficulty considerably.

Aside from his kicking he's been quite pivotal at times as we transition from the middle of the ground forward. Has become more aggressive this season as well. Like what I'm seeing.

I actually misread your previous post...…...apologies.

We need his pace and we need his increased aggression, but we also need him to respect the footy a bit more because he doesn't accumulate huge numbers so needs to make sure he has an impact when he does get it.

He's a third year player who has played 45 games and needs to start being held to account so he can take that next step. I'm not saying exile him, but if he's averaging only 11-12 touches a game he needs to make them count.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2020, 12:45 PM
In an ideal world, I'd likely send Richards back to the VFL to 'slow down' and hone his kicking (and find more of the ball) but given our injuries, not sure it's a luxury we have right now.

Axe Man
08-07-2020, 12:47 PM
Returning Dogs' star to help ease injury pain (https://www.afl.com.au/news/462772/returning-dogs-star-to-help-ease-injury-pain)

THE CONCERNS surrounding an impending injury crisis at the Western Bulldogs are set to be eased, with star midfielder Lachie Hunter almost guaranteed to return this week from a four-match suspension for an alleged drink-driving incident.

The Bulldogs, who are among the form teams in the competition after winning three successive matches, could be forced into four changes for this week's clash with Carlton after a bruising battle against North Melbourne last Saturday night.

Lin Jong is expected to miss the next two months due to a syndesmosis injury suffered in the convincing 49-point win, while young duo Bailey Smith and Laitham Vandermeer are both unlikely to play after sustaining concussions.

Impressive defender Hayden Crozier will also be unavailable, having failed to overturn a one-match suspension for a dangerous tackle on Kangaroos youngster Jack Mahoney at the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday night.

However, the Dogs' midfield will be bolstered by Hunter's return, with the prolific onballer having served his four-match suspension for an alleged drink driving incident during the game's shutdown period.

Hunter was alleged to have crashed into four parked cars while more than two times over the legal blood-alcohol limit.

He was stripped of his vice-captaincy, as well as being slapped with a four-match ban and a $20,000 fine ($15,000 suspended) for the misdemeanour.

He was hit with four charges for the incident by Victoria Police last month, while he was also handed a $1652 penalty notice for breaching COVID-19 laws that were in place at the time of the offence.

"I've got no doubt it would have changed him and he'll learn from it … I think it'll improve his outlook and who he is as a young man," Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge told radio station RSN on Wednesday.

"He's very fit and strong and he's ready to play. It's probably difficult coming back from that period away, after letting yourself down and you still know you've got four weeks to serve.

"But he's focused on his work and he hasn't taken his eye off the ball with trying to help others.

"We'll consider him for selection this week, and with 'Jongy' going down there's a spot there. And with Crozier being suspended, there's another spot. So, we'll consider him. He's definitely ready to go."

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Getting pretty concerned if we're losing Smith, Crozier, Jong and Vandameer from last week. The first two are very important cogs to our side, whilst the latter two have really contributed when they've played.

Axe Man
08-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Although Hunter is a very different player than Jong he should offset that loss. Wood back and in form with his intercepting lessens the blow of losing Crozier somewhat. Vander has been improving but he's not crucial to the side. Smith missing would be a big loss, even though we did well without him last week. I get the feeling we can't afford for Bont to have another quiet game.

I sincerely hope we take on board the lessons St Kilda showed the rest of the league last week - shut down Docherty and Cripps and Carlton will struggle. I hope Mclean is deployed as a negating forward on Docherty to curb his distribution off half back. I doubt we will tag Cripps as such but there needs to be an onballer accountable for him at all times, especially at stoppages and when he floats forward.

comrade
08-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Although Hunter is a very different player than Jong he should offset that loss. Wood back and in form with his intercepting lessens the blow of losing Crozier somewhat. Vander has been improving but he's not crucial to the side. Smith missing would be a big loss, even though we did well without him last week. I get the feeling we can't afford for Bont to have another quiet game.

I sincerely hope we take on board the lessons St Kilda showed the rest of the league last week - shut down Docherty and Cripps and Carlton will struggle. I hope Mclean is deployed as a negating forward on Docherty to curb his distribution off half back. I doubt we will tag Cripps as such but there needs to be an onballer accountable for him at all times, especially at stoppages and when he floats forward.

Yep, agreed. McLean to Docherty, and Macrae to go head to head with Cripps.

I've read it's meant to be wet on Sunday so hopefully that negates their big boys and helps our defence.

Maybe we can afford to go in with only Bruce as a tall target forward, and bring in Cavarra or Weightman?

Mantis
08-07-2020, 01:18 PM

I've read it's meant to be wet on Sunday so hopefully that negates their big boys and helps our defence.

Maybe we can afford to go in with only Bruce as a tall target forward, and bring in Cavarra or Weightman?

Given we already have possibly 4 forced outs you can't possibly have Schache as an ommission, especially given his sound kicking skills.

I think we can play either of those 2 to replace one of the 4 going out.

Axe Man
08-07-2020, 01:23 PM

I wouldn't drop Schache, he's agile enough and decent enough at ground level to still be useful. It's shit tall forwards that move like the QE2 and have poor hands that become a liability in the wet (hello Mason Cox). Casboult could still clunk them in a typhoon so we will need to be wary.

bornadog
08-07-2020, 01:25 PM
Out: Jong, Crozier, Vandameer, Smith (big loss)

In: Hunter, Butler, Trengove, Porter (just guessing), otherwise Dickson

comrade
08-07-2020, 01:37 PM
Given we already have possibly 4 forced outs you can't possibly have Schache as an ommission, especially given his sound kicking skills.

I think we can play either of those 2 to replace one of the 4 going out.

Yeah, it's dependent on our outs. I'm hopeful that at least 1 of Smith & Vandermeer plays.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-07-2020, 01:48 PM
Does anyone have a better insight into concussions? I’m purely guessing but neither Smith nor Vanda were out cold. We’ve also got essentially and 8day break so I was expecting them both to be ok

Happy Days
08-07-2020, 01:54 PM
Schache was awesome in the wet against Port last year.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2020, 02:01 PM
Out: Baz, Vanders, Crozier, Jong
In: Hunter, Butler, Porter, Dickson
------------------------------------------

I have no idea, as all of us, about the scratch match form. I just want us to keep whatever system/way of footy we have going, going.

kruder
08-07-2020, 02:15 PM
In Hunter, Dickson, La Young Hayes

Out Jongy, Vander, Crozier, Smith

I'm guessing Bevo will go younger than that with Porter/ Cody a chance to debut.

1eyedog
08-07-2020, 02:24 PM
In an ideal world, I'd likely send Richards back to the VFL to 'slow down' and hone his kicking (and find more of the ball) but given our injuries, not sure it's a luxury we have right now.

It may help and it has merit but don't you feel like he's just that sort of player that needs to keep playing? I dunno, as you say it's not a luxury we have at the moment.

Rocket Science
08-07-2020, 03:05 PM
If the concussion brothers don't get up I'd just about plonk the farm on Roarke being among those getting tapped on the shoulder.

soupman
08-07-2020, 04:19 PM
I'm in favour of us adopting a policy whereby anyone who suffers a concussion sits the next week out.

As Koby Stevens, Pat McCartin, Liam Picken and Ben Jacobs (who incredibly is still on a list despite not being fit to play since 2018) show, it's clearly a serious issue with potential long term ramifications, so a more conservative recovery strategy even if they pass the medical tests is probably best.

I remember many years ago (maybe 2014) we copped a few concussion over the course of a few weeks to Libba (definitely) and a couple more (unsure who, maybe Picken and Smith?) and we rushed them all back to play the following week and all were shadows of themselves that week. I don't know if it was the concussion or just a bit of tentativeness coming back from the injury but I believe there is little to gain from rushing them back.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2020, 04:23 PM
I'm in favour of us adopting a policy whereby anyone who suffers a concussion sits the next week out.

As Koby Stevens, Pat McCartin, Liam Picken and Ben Jacobs (who incredibly is still on a list despite not being fit to play since 2018) show, it's clearly a serious issue with potential long term ramifications, so a more conservative recovery strategy even if they pass the medical tests is probably best.

I remember many years ago (maybe 2014) we copped a few concussion over the course of a few weeks to Libba (definitely) and a couple more (unsure who, maybe Picken and Smith?) and we rushed them all back to play the following week and all were shadows of themselves that week. I don't know if it was the concussion or just a bit of tentativeness coming back from the injury but I believe there is little to gain from rushing them back.

Agree with this approach.

FWIW I've spoken to a couple of players in the past who received concussions and played the next week. All said they "didn't feel right" despite playing.

bornadog
08-07-2020, 05:05 PM

Agree - There are delayed reactions to concussion, so we shouldn't be risking players.

Mofra
08-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Out - Crozier, Smith, Vandermeer, Jong
In - La Young, Porter, Hunter, and either Weightman or Caverra

Losing Crozier in the air I really like Lachie Young as that mid-sized option. We simply have to find out whether Porter can handle the step up sooner or later.

westbulldog
08-07-2020, 09:12 PM
In - Lewis Young, Weightman, Hunter, Sweet

Remi Moses
09-07-2020, 12:04 AM
Not sure I’m playing two ruck man on what will be a slippery surface in QLD at night
Basically becomes a wet weather game
Lachie Young for crozier
Hunter for Jong
If the other two don’t get up
Porter Hayes

Axe Man
09-07-2020, 10:28 AM
In - Lewis Young, Weightman, Hunter, Sweet

I just have to hear the reasoning for bringing in Sweet against a Carlton side that also plays just 1 inexperienced ruckman after English's last 3 games?

Ozza
09-07-2020, 10:42 AM
Out: Jong, Vanda, Smith, Crozier
In: Hunter, Dickson, Hayes, Suckling

I think Lippa will spend more time inside, with Hunter and Hayes picking up the outside run roles that Lippa and Jongy were essentially playing. Suckling is an obvious for Crozier. Dickson's smarts and ability to nail the basics on what might be a slippery night (and in QLD it always seems a bit slippery at nights regardless of whether it rains) should help.

I'm not the world's biggest Hayes fan, but we are losing a bit of pace and outside run - and this IS his attribute . I'd be surprised if he isn't in the team.

Be interesting to see how we approach the Docherty & Kade Simpson situation. It is certainly a week to avoid having the extra forward up around the stoppages as we will need to make those two accountable as much as possible. And with the way that the Carlton defenders sit back behind the ball it is really important that we not only PLAY Schache, but that he competes with the same mindset as he did last week. For me, the highlight play of the week which started with Rhylee West's physicality, was how Shaq competed and then was smart enough to dash back towards goal once he saw Bruce was going to get the loose ball. Thats exactly how you'd hope for two talls to be working together.

westbulldog
09-07-2020, 10:56 AM
I just have to hear the reasoning for bringing in Sweet against a Carlton side that also plays just 1 inexperienced ruckman after English's last 3 games?
Point taken however imo :-
1. Sweet deserves an opportunity at some point and against Pittonet , with Kruezer out, is as good a time as ever to see how he goes.
2. English and Sweet don't have to be on the ground at the same time.
3. English based on recent form will give them problems with his around the ground work.
4. I would guess that Sweet has played on wet grounds before ?

Jam Donuts
09-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Out: Jong, Vanda, Smith, Crozier
In: Hunter, Dickson, Hayes, Suckling

I think Lippa will spend more time inside, with Hunter and Hayes picking up the outside run roles that Lippa and Jongy were essentially playing. Suckling is an obvious for Crozier. Dickson's smarts and ability to nail the basics on what might be a slippery night (and in QLD it always seems a bit slippery at nights regardless of whether it rains) should help.

I'm not the world's biggest Hayes fan, but we are losing a bit of pace and outside run - and this IS his attribute . I'd be surprised if he isn't in the team.

Be interesting to see how we approach the Docherty & Kade Simpson situation. It is certainly a week to avoid having the extra forward up around the stoppages as we will need to make those two accountable as much as possible. And with the way that the Carlton defenders sit back behind the ball it is really important that we not only PLAY Schache, but that he competes with the same mindset as he did last week. For me, the highlight play of the week which started with Rhylee West's physicality, was how Shaq competed and then was smart enough to dash back towards goal once he saw Bruce was going to get the loose ball. Thats exactly how you'd hope for two talls to be working together.

Surely it's Vanda and Jong

Axe Man
09-07-2020, 11:44 AM
Point taken however imo :-
1. Sweet deserves an opportunity at some point and against Pittonet , with Kruezer out, is as good a time as ever to see how he goes.
2. English and Sweet don't have to be on the ground at the same time.
3. English based on recent form will give them problems with his around the ground work.
4. I would guess that Sweet has played on wet grounds before ?

1. Winning is more important than giving a player a chance (deserving or not). You can get away with playing mids/flanker types for the experience without too much detriment, but I don't think you can add a second ruckman without severely impacting our gameplan. Chances are English will cop an injury or need a rest at some point and then Sweet will get his chance.

2. Yes they do. English is averaging 89% TOG this season, almost all of that in the ruck. I assume you are proposing cutting his TOG, depriving us of one of our best and most important players over the last 3 weeks? Say he drops back to 70%, Sweet only plays 30%? It would almost be like being down a rotation. Add in 1 or 2 game ending injuries like we have had the past 2 weeks and we have a big problem with this approach.

3. Yes he will, whilst he is playing in the ruck. You are proposing playing him in the ruck less and otherwise resting him on the bench? I don't see how this strategy will advantage us.

4. I never mentioned the wet, but since you brought it up playing 2 ruckmen in the wet along with 2 tall forwards doesn't seem a great strategy to me.

Murphy'sLore
09-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Surely it's Vanda and Jong

Beat me to it!

1eyedog
09-07-2020, 04:17 PM
Outs: Jong, Crozier
Ins: Hunter, Piggy

Like for like.

Feeling that Vander and Smith will be ok to play given they weren't fully concussed. I'm sure if it's up to how they feel they'll play. There's really little sense in bringing in a 6'7 bloke if it's going to be wet. Stoppages won't be clean anyway I'd prefer the extra rotation.

Rocket Science
09-07-2020, 07:27 PM
OUTS:

Lin Jong
Hayden Crozier

INS from :

Callum Porter,
Jordon Sweet,
Lachie Hunter,
Louis Butler,
Matthew Suckling,
Ryan Gardner

Oh Bevo, don't go changin'.

Axe Man
09-07-2020, 07:41 PM
OUTS:

Lin Jong
Hayden Crozier

INS from :

Callum Porter,
Jordon Sweet,
Lachie Hunter,
Louis Butler,
Matthew Suckling,
Ryan Gardner

That's actually the most predictable team announcement this season I reckon. Sweet and Gardner are often emergencies, Hunter and Suckling were the front runners to come in and Porter and Butler make sense if Smith and Vanda don't come up.

comrade
09-07-2020, 07:41 PM
Bevo to Gardner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29PSPafL54o

bulldogsthru&thru
09-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Yes I’d say the ultimate lineup will depend on Smith and Vandermeer and the weather. Although not sure where Sweet fits in

G-Mo77
09-07-2020, 07:54 PM
OUTS:

Lin Jong
Hayden Crozier

INS from :

Callum Porter,
Jordon Sweet,
Lachie Hunter,
Louis Butler,
Matthew Suckling,
Ryan Gardner

Gosh this frightens me!

comrade
09-07-2020, 07:56 PM
Where's Lachie Young at? Feels like he'd be the perfect replacement for Crozier yet he can't even squeeze onto the extended bench ahead of Gardner.

Doc26
09-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Where's Lachie Young at? Feels like he'd be the perfect replacement for Crozier yet he can't even squeeze onto the extended bench ahead of Gardner.

It’s a good question. Louis Butler would seem to have jumped the queue. Also wonder how far away Duryea is?

bulldogsthru&thru
09-07-2020, 08:43 PM
It’s a good question. Louis Butler would seem to have jumped the queue. Also wonder how far away Duryea is?

Had a setback with his quad this week. Still over a month away

bornadog
09-07-2020, 08:43 PM
Gosh this frightens me!

Me too, I shuddered when I saw that. Don't tell me Bevo wants Gardner on to take on one of the Carlton talls? This could be 2019 first round defeat all over again
i

comrade
09-07-2020, 08:56 PM
If Gardner gets another run, Bevo needs an intervention.

westbulldog
09-07-2020, 10:37 PM
1. Winning is more important than giving a player a chance (deserving or not). You can get away with playing mids/flanker types for the experience without too much detriment, but I don't think you can add a second ruckman without severely impacting our gameplan. Chances are English will cop an injury or need a rest at some point and then Sweet will get his chance.

2. Yes they do. English is averaging 89% TOG this season, almost all of that in the ruck. I assume you are proposing cutting his TOG, depriving us of one of our best and most important players over the last 3 weeks? Say he drops back to 70%, Sweet only plays 30%? It would almost be like being down a rotation. Add in 1 or 2 game ending injuries like we have had the past 2 weeks and we have a big problem with this approach.

3. Yes he will, whilst he is playing in the ruck. You are proposing playing him in the ruck less and otherwise resting him on the bench? I don't see how this strategy will advantage us.

4. I never mentioned the wet, but since you brought it up playing 2 ruckmen in the wet along with 2 tall forwards doesn't seem a great strategy to me.
We will keep our respective opinions then, although you seem particularly categorical that you are right. Perhaps varied opinions are the beauty of the forum :) ��

bornadog
09-07-2020, 10:53 PM
We will keep our respective opinions then, although you seem particularly categorical that you are right. Perhaps varied opinions are the beauty of the forum :) ��

Great to have different Opinions, I enjoy everyone's view point.

1eyedog
09-07-2020, 11:18 PM
Absolutely wb keep em coming.

Vred
09-07-2020, 11:45 PM

Really don't see how his better than anyone else on our list.. I don't get it, he is by far our worst player on the entire lineup.

Rocket Science
10-07-2020, 12:10 AM

I'd imagine Lewy Young agrees.

Axe Man
10-07-2020, 10:19 AM

Absolutely. Please don't misunderstand me as I am simply expressing my opinion as you have yours. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

I'm just a little flabbergasted at the continual calls for Sweet to come in, especially after English's last 3 weeks. But that has been pushed primarily by other posters and this was a response to those calls in general, rather than specifically to you.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-07-2020, 11:10 AM
Storms and 95% chance of 15mm expected Sunday right when we are due to play. It'll be a scrap of a game. Dare I say we'll have a few tired boys for the essendon game.

Won't be a high scoring game which hopefully works in our favour

hujsh
10-07-2020, 11:13 AM
We really seem to get hot and bothered by a player for a season then completely forget they exist the next. I don't get it.

Lachie Young being the main example this year, maybe they'll get a resurgence like Bailey Williams has had next year?

Ozza
10-07-2020, 11:52 AM
Couldn't possibly play Gardner or Sweet in the conditions.

Mofra
10-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Porter might be worth his chance in those conditions. I'd expect Wallis and Rhylee West would play well in the wet too.

IIRC last time we played in a really wet game Bont was still playing dry weather football, including a one handed pick-up on the run that Dougie Hawkins would have been proud of.
Plus I don't recall him playing two quiet games in a row.

comrade
10-07-2020, 12:02 PM
Couldn't possibly play Gardner or Sweet in the conditions.

Gardner treats the footy like a bar of soap in perfect conditions, he'd need a bucket on Sunday.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Gardner treats the footy like a bar of soap in perfect conditions, he'd need a bucket on Sunday.

I know it's just an extended list, but how is Gardner even in the conversation?

In what reality is he a better option over JT or Young (KPD) or even Lach Young as an interceptor?

comrade
10-07-2020, 12:15 PM
I know it's just an extended list, but how is Gardner even in the conversation?

In what reality is he a better option over JT or Young (KPD) or even Lach Young as an interceptor?

It's Bevo's world, we're just living in it.

GVGjr
10-07-2020, 12:22 PM
Could Richards be a surprise positional selection by returning to the back line to cover Crozier?
His form is solid but not great and a change in positions might be a spark for him

hujsh
10-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Could Richards be a surprise positional selection by returning to the back line to cover Crozier?
His form is solid but not great and a change in positions might be a spark for him

Can we name him in the team when he wasn't in the extended squad? Do we have to pretend Gardner or Sweet had to withdraw due to injury?

Axe Man
10-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Can we name him in the team when he wasn't in the extended squad? Do we have to pretend Gardner or Sweet had to withdraw due to injury?

Huh? He's already in the team, he's played the last 4 games.

GVGjr
10-07-2020, 03:12 PM

You might have Ed Richards mixed with another name?
He's picked on the wing, I'm asking if there is a chance he moves to the back line to cover Crozier for a week

hujsh
10-07-2020, 03:12 PM
Huh? He's already in the team, he's played the last 4 games.

...where am I?

I misread what GVG wrote from 'positional' to 'potential'. I knew he wasn't a named inclusion so assumed the idea was to spring a surprise selection.

Ozza
10-07-2020, 03:37 PM
If Trengove can't even get in the squad when we are playing against a tall forward line, then I'd say mass injuries is his only chance to play again.

comrade
10-07-2020, 03:42 PM
If Trengove can't even get in the squad when we are playing against a tall forward line, then I'd say mass injuries is his only chance to play again.

Well, given our run lately, he'll get his chance soon enough. The talk of reducing the break between games will also act in his favour.

On the whole though, I reckon he's been really hard done by. Barely put a foot wrong last year, yet can't get a look in.

GVGjr
10-07-2020, 03:47 PM

Agreed, he's probably at the back of the queue for a ruck man spot as well

I think he's good enough to be playing regularly with us

Hotdog60
10-07-2020, 04:41 PM
I don't mind Trengove as a player but wasn't he on the outer at Port as well. Maybe there something the coaches don't like or he's not doing what is asked.
I can't see whats wrong with him from my point of view but maybe there is as far as the coaches go.
It may well be his last year with us.

hujsh
10-07-2020, 04:57 PM
I don't mind Trengove as a player but wasn't he on the outer at Port as well. Maybe there something the coaches don't like or he's not doing what is asked.
I can't see whats wrong with him from my point of view but maybe there is as far as the coaches go.
It may well be his last year with us.

I think he's just slow (physically) and a bit unfashionable. Not an interceptor, not a great (poor if we're being honest) kick, battler in the ruck, okay at best forward.

Every account of him as a person and professional is pretty much spotless though. Just needs the game to go back 5 or 10 years.

DOG GOD
10-07-2020, 05:51 PM
Regarding Trengove, you know something is really wrong between HE vs MC when Gardner is being selected ahead of him.
I’m really left scratching my head. Why get him and guys like Schache to the club if the MC aren’t willing to give them a good run.

soupman
10-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Just Hunter and Butler in at this stage. Suckling an emergency.

Grantysghost
10-07-2020, 06:04 PM
IN: Lachie Hunter, Louis Butler
OUT: Lin Jong (ankle), Hayden Crozier (suspended)

bornadog
10-07-2020, 06:05 PM
IN: Lachie Hunter, Louis Butler
OUT: Lin Jong (ankle), Hayden Crozier (suspended)

Hopefully we don't need the emergencies to replace Smith or Vandermeer

Axe Man
10-07-2020, 06:09 PM
A mini surprise with Butler ahead of Suckling but he certainly deserves another game after a solid debut.

bornadog
10-07-2020, 06:22 PM
A mini surprise with Butler ahead of Suckling but he certainly deserves another game after a solid debut.

Makes us one of the youngest this round, with Sydney the youngest by 0.5. Carlton have a lot more experience, so we need to play our best footy.

ledge
10-07-2020, 06:40 PM
I imagine this is Sucklings last year so Butler is being played to get experience to take over his role maybe ?

The bulldog tragician
10-07-2020, 07:23 PM
Suckling was very poor in his last game while (The) Butler did most things right, so I’m happy with selections.

Happy Days
10-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Suckling was very poor in his last game while (The) Butler did most things right, so I’m happy with selections.

I reckon this is 20 game rule stuff. Butler did some nice things but nearly all of his kicks missed their targets. If Sunday's game had higher stakes I'd much prefer Suckling play.

comrade
10-07-2020, 08:43 PM
I reckon this is 20 game rule stuff. Butler did some nice things but nearly all of his kicks missed their targets. If Sunday's game had higher stakes I'd much prefer Suckling play.

So similar to Suckling’s last outing then?

jeemak
10-07-2020, 11:15 PM
Butler didn't use it that great, not unlike a lot of first gamers, but he did well in terms of reading the play as an interceptor and at least kicked with purpose and vigour which can't be said of Suckling in his last outing.

I'm fine with Butler getting another run as he wasn't a clear drop for Wood, whereas Suckling who I really rate, was.

GVGjr
11-07-2020, 08:28 AM
Would Jordon Sweet be setting some sort of record for consecutive emergencies selections?

Bulldog4life
11-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Would Jordon Sweet be setting some sort of record for consecutive emergencies selections?

Keeping him keen and letting him know that he is close to selection?

Bulldog Joe
11-07-2020, 09:15 AM
Keeping him keen and letting him know that he is close to selection?

He probably is close.
With the schedule Timmy is going to need a rest soon.

S Coast Simon
11-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Good luck boys. Will finally get to a game as it’s in QLD. Rumour has it that Trengove and Schache upset Bevo earlier in the year so this could explain his absence from the team selection. Obviously Schache redeemed himself a bit quicker. Although I rate Suckling I’m happy to have Butler back in. I personally would have given the concussion boys an extra week off they are to valuable to risk this young. Anyone know what is going on with both Youngs as I really like the potential of both. Thought Lachie would be a great replacement for Crozier. How he got suspended and Garry Rohan a fine is beyond me. Great discussion going on this week I love a bit of different opinions to hear. Go Doggies

GVGjr
11-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Lachie Young is replacing Ryan Gardner as an emergency

The Underdog
11-07-2020, 08:23 PM

WOOF collectively exhales...

jeemak
11-07-2020, 08:26 PM
Interesting. Assume due to the likely weather conditions.

mjp
11-07-2020, 08:38 PM

Lol. I’m guessing he’s playing then. Who’s the out?

With our MC Bingo, do we bet on tall forward, crumbing forward or inside mid?

EasternWest
11-07-2020, 09:24 PM
Lachie Young

I am a fan.

comrade
11-07-2020, 09:41 PM
Lachie Young lives!

GVGjr
11-07-2020, 09:47 PM
Lol. I’m guessing he’s playing then. Who’s the out?

With our MC Bingo, do we bet on tall forward, crumbing forward or inside mid?

You would have to wonder if the conditions have necessitated this change?

Would there be a doubt on Vandermeer?

I doubt Lachie Young plays though

bornadog
12-07-2020, 12:03 AM
lachie young is replacing ryan gardner as an emergency

Gardner - Calf tighness

Bulldog Joe
12-07-2020, 09:37 AM
Gardner - Calf tighness

That sounds a very convenient reason. It might even be the truth.

Axe Man
12-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Gardner - Calf tighness

Alright, who’s got the voodoo doll?

Mitcha
13-07-2020, 10:51 AM
Everyone bar the coach obviously, here's hoping the Gowers one is in production!