PDA

View Full Version : The Departure Lounge 2020

Dry Rot
06-07-2020, 12:38 AM
Who will be departing season's end?

Obviously its a really weird season, when players who cannot make the 22 now cannot show their wares in the VFL. And the shadow of reduced lists?

Dickson, Suckling and Trengove seem an obvious start. The first 2 delisted, with Trengovw being traded to the Swans if he is willing to leave Wuhan-Melbourne.

Next cabs off the rank, Greene, Lynch, Porter and Hayes. Gowers and Gardiner?

And what's happening with the two Youngs?

Vred
06-07-2020, 03:55 AM
Dickson and Suckling retire
Trengove to stay on
Hayes to stay on
Gowers trade
Gardiner delisted / trade
Greene & Porter all need more time
Lynch has been with us long enough and can't seem to hold his spot in the seniors , might be time to move him on.

Lin Jong is an interesting one, keep him on? Does his body hold up for the rest of this year? His already been injured twice. Love the guy but might be time to make room.

FrediKanoute
06-07-2020, 05:30 AM
Dickson and Suckling retire
Trengove to stay on
Hayes to stay on
Gowers trade
Gardiner delisted / trade
Greene & Porter all need more time
Lynch has been with us long enough and can't seem to hold his spot in the seniors , might be time to move him on.

Lin Jong is an interesting one, keep him on? Does his body hold up for the rest of this year? His already been injured twice. Love the guy but might be time to make room.

Agree with most of the above, but cannot see Gowers/Gardiner generating any currency. I would probably keep Gowers - maybe he has a purple patch and tears up a final series......

Trengove will go, no chance he stays. Porter is the same for me - you have Rylee West now ahead of him and we struggle to fit all of Lippa, Hunter, Dunks, Libba, Jong etc into the team when fit. Time to find another kid with potential.

Greene - I think will stay. Dickson retiring; Lloyd older and seemingly off the boil, we need the goal sneak half forward and Greene plays that role for us - a poor man's Bailey Dale

The Doctor
06-07-2020, 08:59 AM
This is the Uncontracted list for this year according to Axeman's Player Contracts thread.

Easton Wood: 2020
Billy Gowers: 2020
Fergus Greene: 2020
Jackson Trengove: 2020
Taylor Duryea: 2020
Lin Jong: 2020
Brad Lynch: 2020
Ben Cavarra: 2020
Will Hayes: 2020
Callum Porter: 2020
Tory Dickson: 2020
Matt Suckling: 2020 (FA)
Lachie Young: 2020 (Rookie)
Jordan Sweet: 2020 (Rookie)
Roarke Smith: 2020 (Rookie)
Ryan Gardner: 2020 (Rookie)
Buku Khamis: 2020 (Rookie)

Seniors

Easton Wood is the clear priority. I'd like to see a 2 year deal offered to him

Lin Jong's form has been encouraging so far this season and should earn another contract. Probably 2 years

Taylor Duryea hasn't featured this year as yet due to injury but is a dependable pro who adds to the defence. Will be 30 early next season. I think 1 year is reasonable.

Billy Gowers, Jackson Trengove, Tory Dickson & Matt Suckling should all be playing regular seniors to warrant extensions beyond 2020. Others have gone past them. We could save $1m+ for the salary cap here as well. I would keep Trengove for another season. If English goes down the cupboard is bare.

Will Hayes, Ben Cavarra & Fergus Greene all have attributes in their game that we need in our team. Their chances are hurt by not being able to play at Footscray. However there would seem to be a few in exit queue ahead of them.

Brad Lynch & Callum Porter also hurt by no Footscray & their chances to impress are diminished. Can't see them holding on at this stage.

Rookies

Lachie Young and Sweet certainties to be retained in my view

Buku Khamis I would keep

Ryan Gardner seems to be rated at the club & will probably be retained especially if Trengove goes.

Roarke Smith has been around forever and hasn't nailed a spot. Time to move on?

In the circumstances of this season I would be surprised if we make wholesale changes. A couple might be spared due to limited U/18 activity meaning some promising juniors may not get much/any exposure to challenge for a draft position.

We have some big contracts in 2021 coming up including Bont, Libba, Cordy, Wallis, Lippa & Richards. So we might need to bank some cash for that

Happy Days
06-07-2020, 09:59 AM
I'd be actively looking to retaining Wood, Trengove, Green, Young, Cavarra and Jong, and maybe Suckling if he can get back into the side. I think we're in a pretty good position if list sizes do get reduced.

soupman
06-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Easton Wood is the clear priority. I'd like to see a 2 year deal offered to him

Lin Jong's form has been encouraging so far this season and should earn another contract. Probably 2 years

Not sure offering 2 year contracts to an injury prone defender and a very injury prone fringe mid is the way to go especially if we reduce to 35 on the list. Wood is probably more justifiable seeing as he is only 30, but list spots are precious and I wouldn't want Jong taking up one when even when he has good seasons frequently spends at least half of it injured or struggling to regain confidence and form, and his bad seasons are virtually complete writeoffs.

The 35 on the list really complicates stuff, it basically means you can't carry anyone you don't see as best 25 and the remaining 10 spots need to go to guys that you are confident have the ability to get there. Considering we need 3ish spots for the draft every year really you can afford 7 players that aren't in your best 25, and at least one of those spots needs to be a ruck.

Don't renew Trengove. He is a great backup option at the least with his ability to atleast contribute everywhere but seeing as we refuse to play him then whats the point?

Dickson is seemingly fit, but just not being selected. If that's the case cut him.

Has Duryea been surpassed by Williams? Duryea is injury prone, so if he can't command a spot later this year maybe he goes.

Greene, Gowers, Lynch, Cavarra and Porter all have some attributes we like, but if none of them can even get selected let alone contribute when they are then we can't afford to carry them. Hayes is probably in a similiar boat but I feel like he is Beveridges favourite from the lot so stands a better chance.

Suckling is probably not best 22 anymore, gone.

Of the rookies, are there still going to be rookies? Regardless we really rate Young so he stays, like I said we need a ruck so Sweet stays, Smith and Gardner are both loved by the coach but probably don't command a spot. Khamis probably falls in the same category as Greene, Gowers etc.

So of the out of contract guys pretty much only Wood, Jong, Sweet and Young are players i expect will definitely be on the list. Certainly while i think a lot of these guys have some promise or usefullness, it seems pretty easy to make the necessary cuts.

It's interesting because surely 35 is just a minimum player retention number, and they will just bring the salary cap down accordingly. So if you have a bunch of lowly paid guys you could probably afford to retain 37-38 players inside the cap if the AFL allows it.

Either way this is a nightmare for Beveridge who has real issues breaking up with players.

EasternWest
06-07-2020, 11:18 AM
maybe Suckling.

Why for you do this to me? I thought we were friends.

Mofra
06-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Do we have any idea what list sizes will be next year? If it is reduced we will be forced to make some hard decisions, especially if all three FS/NGA kids are draft worthy and we pick up a FA.

GVGjr
06-07-2020, 11:24 AM
I suspect we need to get the list down to minimum of 32 or more likely 31 and then either trade or draft 3/4 players

If that is the case there isn't a lot of room for sentiment

Based on Axemans contract list and Doc's list above

Wood gets a 1 year deal
Gowers would need a lot to go right to get another deal but if so then it's a 1 year deal
Greene, as above
Trengove should get a deal but won't
Duryea gets a year or two
Jong needs to stay injury free and probably gets a one year deal
Lynch will go
Cavarra will go
Porter will go
Dickson retires
Suckling retires
Lachie Young gets a 2 year deal
Sweet gets a 2 year deal
R.Smith should go but he is one of Bevo's players
Gardner get a one year deal
Khamis goes

Even doing that it doesn't get the list size down sufficiently and there will need to be some others

Bevo is going to need to develop a harder edge because this is going to hurt

comrade
06-07-2020, 11:44 AM
So much to play out this year, and given we're dropping like flies at the moment, there will be opportunities for our fringe players to stake their claim. I really hope we get to Khamis, Porter, Greene, and Cavarra show their stuff.

GVGjr
06-07-2020, 11:57 AM
So much to play out this year, and given we're dropping like flies at the moment, there will be opportunities for our fringe players to stake their claim. I really hope we get to Khamis, Porter, Greene, and Cavarra show their stuff.

Yep definitely it's early calls for sure and there will no doubt be someone doing a Bailey Dale before the season is over

bornadog
06-07-2020, 12:02 PM

I think Porter may come in this week

hujsh
06-07-2020, 12:31 PM
I think there needs to be some nuance in how this is handled with the rules. I'd be giving clubs the opportunity to re-list players for the 2022 season without using draft picks etc if they were delisted in 2020 by the same club. So if we need to let someone like Khamis go because we simply don't have enough spaces and he's one out of contract then if list sizes are increased or someone more deserving of being delisted comes up he can be brought back in.

GVGjr
06-07-2020, 12:37 PM
I think Porter may come in this week

He must be close to selection

bornadog
06-07-2020, 12:40 PM
We can't assume at this stage that lists will be reduced

Happy Days
06-07-2020, 12:45 PM
He must be close to selection

If nothing else he's got to have impressed with the condition he's shown up in after the lockdown. Would have put on 5kg of muscle.

bornadog
06-07-2020, 12:55 PM
If nothing else he's got to have impressed with the condition he's shown up in after the lockdown. Would have put on 5kg of muscle.

Here he is at training.

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1278571165456293889/vid/1280x720/aZoIVT68h1AKTUkG.mp4?tag=13

GVGjr
06-07-2020, 12:55 PM
We can't assume at this stage that lists will be reduced

Why not, it's been discussed by the AFL? The talk is the salary cap will go to just over 6M

bornadog
06-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Why not, it's been discussed by the AFL? The talk is the salary cap will go to just over 6M

We don't know the number, so we are speculating.

GVGjr
06-07-2020, 01:00 PM
We don't know the number, so we are speculating.

That's what we do. If you don't want to speculate on anything then fine, but don't try and limit others

comrade
06-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Here he is at training.

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1278571165456293889/vid/1280x720/aZoIVT68h1AKTUkG.mp4?tag=13

The class clown it seems :D

bornadog
06-07-2020, 02:28 PM
That's what we do. If you don't want to speculate on anything then fine, but don't try and limit others

Not trying to limit anyone. Just saying it is speculating the numbers will drop to 35 or something else.

Bulldog Joe
06-07-2020, 05:45 PM
I think there needs to be some nuance in how this is handled with the rules. I'd be giving clubs the opportunity to re-list players for the 2022 season without using draft picks etc if they were delisted in 2020 by the same club. So if we need to let someone like Khamis go because we simply don't have enough spaces and he's one out of contract then if list sizes are increased or someone more deserving of being delisted comes up he can be brought back in.

When we look at list reduction we also need to consider what happens to the VFL/Reserves.

I would think they need to have a supplementary playing list to cover that and the trade off for the reduced list should be the ability to promote back to the main list in certain circumstances as well as first crack at your players when list sizes increase again.

Remi Moses
07-07-2020, 02:25 PM
Who will be departing season's end?

Obviously its a really weird season, when players who cannot make the 22 now cannot show their wares in the VFL. And the shadow of reduced lists?

Dickson, Suckling and Trengove seem an obvious start. The first 2 delisted, with Trengovw being traded to the Swans if he is willing to leave Wuhan-Melbourne.

Next cabs off the rank, Greene, Lynch, Porter and Hayes. Gowers and Gardiner?

And what's happening with the two Youngs?

Pipe it down New south ruby princess

Remi Moses
07-07-2020, 02:28 PM
Gone for me
Dickson and Suckling , gowers , Greene , Porter ,Gardiner

Remi Moses
07-07-2020, 02:31 PM
Lynch is in trouble
Porter , I’d like to see get a run .

Mofra
07-07-2020, 03:27 PM
Lynch is in trouble
Porter , I’d like to see get a run .

Ditto, seems a great kid and a hard worker but Rhylee West may have ended his career the way Bailey Dale has perhaps ended Fergus Greene. We have to consider list balance at the end of the year.