PDA

View Full Version : Are the Lions the best team in 2020?

Dry Rot
09-07-2020, 08:59 PM
Saw this article

The Brisbane Lions are the best team, with the best player, in the AFL — and they're still getting better

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-08/brisbane-lions-2020-afl-rise-lachie-neale-harris-andrews/12429336

Have a read - what do you think, and in particular, the analysis of Neale?

bornadog
09-07-2020, 09:19 PM
Not at the moment, getting done

GVGjr
09-07-2020, 09:21 PM
Saw this article

The Brisbane Lions are the best team, with the best player, in the AFL — and they're still getting better

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-08/brisbane-lions-2020-afl-rise-lachie-neale-harris-andrews/12429336

Have a read - what do you think, and in particular, the analysis of Neale?

They're on a very exciting journey at the moment. It will be interesting to see how they handle the pressure of being regarded as one of the best teams. Good young list with plenty of upside

Dry Rot
09-07-2020, 11:25 PM
Not at the moment, getting done

Agreed, which idiot posted this thread?

bornadog
10-07-2020, 09:09 AM
Agreed, which idiot posted this thread?

They still have the chance to be. Last week everyone raved about Port being the best team, and then they got done. It is a funny old season and eventually a few teams will merge as the front runners for the premiership. Hopefully it is us. :)

Ozza
10-07-2020, 09:13 AM
Last night was a disaster for them. Lost badly AND lost key players.

For me, they went in too tall. Nobody has beaten Geelong on the back of tall forwards for 15 years. Every time Brisbane went forward they had one of their two ruckman, plus Hipwood and McStay all flying for the same footy - and nobody at ground level (Cameron completely shut out after quarter time and Lincoln McCarthey not a crumber...or good player).

GVGjr
10-07-2020, 10:03 AM
Last night was a disaster for them. Lost badly AND lost key players.

For me, they went in too tall. Nobody has beaten Geelong on the back of tall forwards for 15 years. Every time Brisbane went forward they had one of their two ruckman, plus Hipwood and McStay all flying for the same footy - and nobody at ground level (Cameron completely shut out after quarter time and Lincoln McCarthey not a crumber...or good player).

Spot on Ozza, way too tall and too many passengers on the night

Ozza
10-07-2020, 10:37 AM
Spot on Ozza, way too tall and too many passengers on the night

The following players had 8 possessions or less on the night;

Hipwood
Lester
Andrews
Berry
McStay
Cameron
Gardiner
Martin
mcCarthey
McInerney

Way too many minimal contributors - and to have basically no output from your two ruckman (and I thinking playing 2 ruckman is an awful awful idea) against Geelong, when it is a real opportunity to exploit them in this area was so poor.

I'm not a big wrap for Brisbane. They didn't have injuries last year, and yes they got some momentum and became hard to beat at home - but they got shown up in the finals last year and I don't think they have what it takes at this point to take the next step. Don't forget that in the finals they got demolished by Richmond at home, before going out in straight sets again at home to GWS.

In the Top 8 predictions thread I had Brisbane missing the 8 - and will most likely be wrong on that, particularly with the season likely to be played in QLD for significant portions - but I don't rate them as a premiership chance.

bornadog
10-07-2020, 11:03 AM
but I don't rate them as a premiership chance.

I don't either. I thought they were a young team, but when I looked them up last night the profile was as follows;

Less than 50 -4
50 to 99 - 6
100 to 149 - 6
150 or more - 6

On paper that looks like a good balance, but do they have the right players to go all the way? I think they rely on Neil and Zorko too much in the midfield.

comrade
10-07-2020, 11:04 AM
Yeah, this didn't age well :D

Remi Moses
10-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Just couldn’t get their hands on it during the third
Just haven’t got a big body up forward either
All skinny

The Bulldogs Bite
10-07-2020, 11:09 AM
I love watching Charlie Cameron play, but he's getting ahead of himself. Always appears to try to do the miraculous and doesn't play the fundamentals well. Lost count how many times he tried to take a spectacular chest mark last night, when he could have simply extended the hands.