PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee thread Rd 8 vs Gold Coast Suns

GVGjr
17-07-2020, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 7 match against Essendon for our Round 8, 2020 match against Gold Coast Suns at Metricon on Thursday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bornadog
17-07-2020, 11:28 PM
Really tough one.

Contenders to be dropped are Vandermeer and maybe La Young and Lippa was quiet for a mid?

I think will depend on how players have pulled up and whether we rest anyone.

comrade
17-07-2020, 11:31 PM
Richards needs to have a spell.

West in.

azabob
17-07-2020, 11:35 PM
IN: Schache and West
OUT: Dale and Richards

Happy Days
17-07-2020, 11:47 PM
No change. We blitzed a team that had lost once by 1 point and no one really earned their way out.

The Underdog
17-07-2020, 11:54 PM
Am I the only one who thought Cordy was Gardner-esque tonight. Positioning was terrible. Looked lost

Mofra
17-07-2020, 11:58 PM
Am I the only one who thought Cordy was Gardner-esque tonight. Positioning was terrible. Looked lost
I like Cordy as a defender. Not as a second ruck at all.

Vandermeer could do with a freshen up week. I like Lachie Young, I really do, but he's not a wingman. He's back as a medium defender/interceptor, or not at all.

If Sam Lloyd is fit, he comes straight back in. Pick one of Schache or Lewie Young to keep Naughton's spot warm.

Happy Days
17-07-2020, 11:58 PM

You’re not, but he got thrown around a bit (he definitely played a stretch forward, not entirely sure but think? he put some time into Ridley), and he’s been really good since coming back in.

Also, the replacement for a sort of Gardner-esque Cordy would likely be a fully Gardner-esque Gardner, so he has a long leash.

AutoFill
18-07-2020, 12:05 AM
In: Sweet
Out: Dale

The Underdog
18-07-2020, 12:08 AM
In: Sweet

That one seems unlikely given the history of selection

The Bulldogs Bite
18-07-2020, 12:13 AM
Out - Young
In - Hayes

Ozza
18-07-2020, 01:29 AM
Richards needs to have a spell.

West in.

I don't fancy losing a pacy player before playing the Suns. Richards hasn't been great, but balance wise I'd say he stays.

G-Mo77
18-07-2020, 09:54 AM

So reading between the line your saying

Out: Cordy
In: Gardner

;)

Bulldog4life
18-07-2020, 10:31 AM
Out - Young
In - Hayes

Agree with this. No need for another tall. Another night time match coming up.

westbulldog
18-07-2020, 10:55 AM
Out - Cordy
In - Lewis Young

1eyedog
18-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Wow pretty cut throat here. Cordy had a mare and again defended too high but has been solid this year.

I thought Richards was also much improved in the first half. Got to the right places, appeared hungry for the ball and was committed.

The Doctor
18-07-2020, 10:58 AM
In: Schache

bornadog
18-07-2020, 11:20 AM
In: Schache

I think I have decided this is what I would do.

Grantysghost
18-07-2020, 12:27 PM
I wouldn’t change except possibly Dale who was quiet again. I assume there will be rotations due to circumstances. With that in mind I think we will keep the balance the same and look to rest some younger guys who maybe a little tired. The once ubiquitous General Soreness.

Out : Dale (omitted), Vandermeer, Richards
In : West, Lloyd, Hayes

Bulldog Joe
18-07-2020, 12:49 PM
We may need to rest someone and Vandermeer would be most likely in that regard.

Still not convinced on Richards and Dale absolutely needs to do more consistently.

I want to see someone in that can be viable as the second ruck.

Ignoring the need for resting anyone

In: Schache/Lewis Young
Out: Bailey Dale

CarnTheScray
18-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Why would anyone want Cordy out? Defence is in shambles without him as the other hard-working tall.

Bulldog4life
18-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Can see Bevo bringing in Lloyd if he is ready to go.

GVGjr
18-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Why would anyone want Cordy out? Defence is in shambles without him as the other hard-working tall.

We shouldn't consider dropping him after one quiet game. He's answered the challenges pretty well this year

GVGjr
18-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Can see Bevo bringing in Lloyd if he is ready to go.

Lloyd for Dale B4L?

Bulldog4life
18-07-2020, 02:11 PM
Lloyd for Dale B4L?

Probably depends how young Van pulls up G. One of the two.

hujsh
18-07-2020, 02:32 PM
I'd only consider droping Cordy for Lewis Young. I imagine he'd be a better ruck/forward and has more height if playing in a key defensive post. But he's another that is strangely out of favour for whatever reason.

azabob
18-07-2020, 02:36 PM
I'd only consider droping Cordy for Lewis Young. I imagine he'd be a better ruck/forward and has more height if playing in a key defensive post. But he's another that is strangely out of favour for whatever reason.

Who is our second tall defender if you drop Cordy?

I don't like Young as a defender.

bornadog
18-07-2020, 02:39 PM

Trengove

azabob
18-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Trengove

That I 100% agree with but you and I both know he isn't in Bevo's plans.

DOG GOD
18-07-2020, 05:45 PM
In : Lloyd
Out : anyone’s guess

Scraggers
18-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 7 match against Essendon for our Round 8, 2020 match against Gold Coast Suns at Metricon on Thursday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

Sorry GVG, dropped the ball. thanks for starting the thread :)

hujsh
18-07-2020, 08:44 PM

I think Young did a fine job late last year as the first or second tall defender. If it's a question of size I think Young can physically cover just about anyone Cordy can. Perhaps it's not the size you're concerned with though?

azabob
18-07-2020, 09:22 PM
I think Young did a fine job late last year as the first or second tall defender. If it's a question of size I think Young can physically cover just about anyone Cordy can. Perhaps it's not the size you're concerned with though?

You are right, Young did well last year.

I like the idea as Young as a second ruckman. A defender being a second ruckman will require organisation and awareness by our players not to get caught out.

Go_Dogs
19-07-2020, 10:12 AM
In: Lew Young

Young will provide as much defence in the F50, but adds another tall option and can chop in the ruck. Appears he’s a mile off selection though.

Ultimately, I think we will go unchanged.

Dry Rot
19-07-2020, 02:14 PM
When is Dunkley due back?

bornadog
19-07-2020, 02:19 PM
When is Dunkley due back?

4 to 6 weeks as per our injury thread here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?19351-Injury-List-2020/page10) :)

Happy Days
19-07-2020, 07:44 PM
4 to 6 weeks as per our injury thread here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?19351-Injury-List-2020/page10) :)

But when is he out of contract?

jeemak
19-07-2020, 07:46 PM
But when is he out of contract?

It's a great questions, I wish there was an easy way to access this information online.

EasternWest
19-07-2020, 07:58 PM
It's a great questions, I wish there was an easy way to access this information online.

Just a shame there's nothing stickied on this site to keep us in the loop.

We should ask Axe Man to do something, I heard a rumour he's handy with that kind of stuff.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2020, 08:17 PM
I'd go

In: Lloyd, Trengove
Out: Dale, Richards

I am fine with Richards, just think an extra tall is better with balance vs Suns. Trengove gives us a bigger body too if a bit dewy/wet. Have him supporting in ruck if needed. Him or Zaine to go forward. We can do it with Lew Young too. Either or I gues.

BTW JT got some love from Gia in scratch match review.

bornadog
19-07-2020, 08:35 PM
I'd go

In: Lloyd, Trengove
Out: Dale, Richards

I am fine with Richards, just think an extra tall is better with balance vs Suns. Trengove gives us a bigger body too if a bit dewy/wet. Have him supporting in ruck if needed. Him or Zaine to go forward. We can do it with Lew Young too. Either or I gues.

BTW JT got some love from Gia in scratch match review.

Where do you find the scratch match reviews?

jeemak
19-07-2020, 08:52 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/744802/successful-return-for-lloyd-in-scratch-match

“Jackson Trengove’s form has been solid, when it’s quite difficult playing in a four-man back-line and there’s a lot of space to defend."

Bulldog Joe
19-07-2020, 08:55 PM
Where do you find the scratch match reviews?

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/744802/successful-return-for-lloyd-in-scratch-match

Not a lot of detail, but probably all we can get.

bornadog
19-07-2020, 11:24 PM
Based on the scratch match,Lloyd will come in

Jeanette54
19-07-2020, 11:32 PM
Having watched the game a second time, I am at loss to understand why Cordy and Dale feature so prominently. They both were responsible for a good deal of heavy lifting, and team play during the game. Its not all about the stats.

1eyedog
20-07-2020, 10:20 AM
In: Lloyd

Dale is terribly out of form at the moment and needs a break. I'd bring Lloyd in for him. Lloyd played well before being injured against the Swans and I have more confidence that he can hit the scoreboard more consistently. I'd like to see both West and Weightman as our two FP but the only player that could come out for him is Richards and I want to give him one more chance.

Mofra
20-07-2020, 11:01 AM
I really wish Duryea was available this game. It seems inevitable that one of Rankine/Sexton/McPherson has a good day against us.

I also want someone up forward that can split their tall defenders. Collins isn't quick but he's effective, while Lukosius is still building muscle but has every other tool you need.

westbulldog
20-07-2020, 11:05 AM
The GC move the ball at speed and we need to be up with that therefore imo Richards, Vandermeer and La Young stay. I don't rate Cordy as a defender although his intent and aggression is not in dispute. We do need 2 tall defenders for King and Day.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-07-2020, 01:13 PM
I don't see how Young stays in this side.

Looked way out of his depth, particularly playing further up the ground. In the second half we almost seemed at a loss as to where to play him.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-07-2020, 01:14 PM
I really wish Duryea was available this game. It seems inevitable that one of Rankine/Sexton/McPherson has a good day against us.

I also want someone up forward that can split their tall defenders. Collins isn't quick but he's effective, while Lukosius is still building muscle but has every other tool you need.

Duryea has been a big loss for us. I really rate him, doesn't receive any recognition but he fits our back six really well and has the ability to play on smalls but also penetrate D50.

He's had a lot of injuries since crossing over from Hawthorn and it's a shame he's 30.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-07-2020, 01:24 PM
In The Match Comittee we trust.
In: Trengove/Le Young, Lloyd.
Exit: La Young, Dale.

Sedat
20-07-2020, 02:25 PM

McPherson is in terrible form of late but the other two are very difficult match-ups for us. I'm worried about the midfield supply the GC forwards could get this week if our midfield group are off their game - if we can blunt them in the middle, we can win this. Absolutely massive game for Tim up against another nemesis from last year.

Massive game also for Bruce. They have good young key defenders (Ballard and Collins, with Lukosius 3rd man up), so it is vital that Bruce competes hard and stops their intercept D50 marks.

As an aside, I don't think too many people are laughing at GC now over the Weller trade. He is in AA form this year and they also got Ballard as part of that trade - young Brayshaw is a good young player but GC are currently winning this trade easily despite being laughed at.

Bulldog Joe
20-07-2020, 03:32 PM
McPherson is in terrible form of late but the other two are very difficult match-ups for us. I'm worried about the midfield supply the GC forwards could get this week if our midfield group are off their game - if we can blunt them in the middle, we can win this. Absolutely massive game for Tim up against another nemesis from last year.

Massive game also for Bruce. They have good young key defenders (Ballard and Collins, with Lukosius 3rd man up), so it is vital that Bruce competes hard and stops their intercept D50 marks.

As an aside, I don't think too many people are laughing at GC now over the Weller trade. He is in AA form this year and they also got Ballard as part of that trade - young Brayshaw is a good young player but GC are currently winning this trade easily despite being laughed at.

With all the hype around Rowell and Rankine, there hasn't been much said about Weller, but having watched their last 3 games, Weller has been exceptional. He has pace and kicks it well. He is also working very well with Witts.

We need to bring our best.

Axe Man
21-07-2020, 02:57 PM
You get a game. You get a game. Everybody gets a game!

Cal gets his chance (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/746765?fbclid=IwAR2Nl3Ft1Js9p0oz_oGilhFWClMoIOT6o_ImcqRsf9TT RTVWic0Zk027dvg)

Callum Porter will become the fifth AFL debutant for the Western Bulldogs in 2020.

The 21-year-old midfielder received the call-up at training today from senior coach Luke Beveridge in front of his teammates.

He will pull on the red, white and blue at AFL level for the first time against the Gold Coast Suns at Metricon Stadium on Thursday night.

Porter arrived at the Bulldogs in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft, selected with pick 74 from the Gippsland Power.

He has had to bide his time for a debut, but gets his chance in his third year as a Bulldog, on the back of a consistent 2019 VFL season and scratch match form this year.

He follows in the footsteps of Cody Weightman, Louis Butler, Laitham Vandermeer and Ben Cavarra as debutants this season.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2020, 02:57 PM
You get a game. You get a game. Everybody gets a game!

Cal gets his chance (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/746765?fbclid=IwAR2Nl3Ft1Js9p0oz_oGilhFWClMoIOT6o_ImcqRsf9TT RTVWic0Zk027dvg)

Callum Porter will become the fifth AFL debutant for the Western Bulldogs in 2020.

The 21-year-old midfielder received the call-up at training today from senior coach Luke Beveridge in front of his teammates.

He will pull on the red, white and blue at AFL level for the first time against the Gold Coast Suns at Metricon Stadium on Thursday night.

Porter arrived at the Bulldogs in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft, selected with pick 74 from the Gippsland Power.

He has had to bide his time for a debut, but gets his chance in his third year as a Bulldog, on the back of a consistent 2019 VFL season and scratch match form this year.

He follows in the footsteps of Cody Weightman, Louis Butler, Laitham Vandermeer and Ben Cavarra as debutants this season.

Wonder if Libba is needing a rest?

jeemak
21-07-2020, 03:04 PM
Good on him. Gotta see if he can play at some stage, hopefully he goes well.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-07-2020, 03:05 PM
we'll start seeing a lot more rotation of players in and out of the side like this as the 9 rounds in 5 weeks or whatever it is comes into play next week. It'll really test all teams' depth and will be interesting to see who comes out on top. I feel we're pretty well setup compared to some other teams. We've been dealing with injuries for what seems like forever. Collingwood also will go alright. From the other top 8 fancies i think Saints and Bombers will suffer the most. The bombers as we know go to water whenver it gets tough and they really have no depth. The Saints rarely seem to have to deal with significant injuries and this year is no different. I don't think they have the depth to rotate players in and out.

comrade
21-07-2020, 03:06 PM
Good to see him finally get his shot, we need to know if he's got something.

Good luck Cal.

Grantysghost
21-07-2020, 03:08 PM
Where do we see Cal playing guys? Great to see so many get a chance.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-07-2020, 03:13 PM
Where do we see Cal playing guys? Great to see so many get a chance.

Midfield. He's a classic hard in and under inside mid. I don't think he can really play anywhere else. I suppose he's like Dalhouse but with less speed/pace. One thing we know we'll get from him is 110% effort. Also a tackling machine.

bornadog
21-07-2020, 03:20 PM
Midfield. He's a classic hard in and under inside mid. I don't think he can really play anywhere else. I suppose he's like Dalhouse but with less speed/pace. One thing we know we'll get from him is 110% effort. Also a tackling machine.

Has he got pace? I have seen him at VFL level, but can't remember.

Rocket Science
21-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Bevo and handing out debuts like Oprah hands out new cars - name a more iconic duo. I'll wait.

Bon chance to the lad. So who does he replace?

Remi Moses
21-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Go well young man
Constricted fixture , and we’ve had 3 games in 11 days
Wouldn’t be surprised if someone’s rested

bulldogsthru&thru
21-07-2020, 03:32 PM
Has he got pace? I have seen him at VFL level, but can't remember.

Not really. At least certainly not like Dahl when he arrived on the scene.

1eyedog
21-07-2020, 03:58 PM

Dylan Addison MkII?

Bulldog Joe
21-07-2020, 04:07 PM
It has taken quite awhile for Callum.

Longest stint on the senior list without a senior game under Beveridge - effectively the 53rd game since he was drafted.

Only Brad Lynch has taken longer playing in the 63rd game after he was first Rookie Listed.

AutoFill
21-07-2020, 04:32 PM
Bevo and handing out debuts like Oprah hands out new cars - name a more iconic duo. I'll wait.

Bon chance to the lad. So who does he replace?

Ed Richards???

GVGjr
21-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Ed Richards???

I think Ed might be an outside chance to be given a week off but you never know

Scraggers
21-07-2020, 04:40 PM
Dylan Addison MkII?

Don't start picking on DFA ... I won't hear of it :cool:

Rocket Science
21-07-2020, 04:47 PM
I grimace at the thought but given the schedule maybe the MC's eyeing Libba for a brief spell.

EasternWest
21-07-2020, 04:49 PM
Dylan Addison MkII?

Like.

Don't start picking on DFA ... I won't hear of it :cool:

Get in line.

bornadog
21-07-2020, 05:07 PM
Like.

Get in line.

Better skills I hope :D :D :D

https://media3.giphy.com/media/yRXnlNNC9U7FC/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zs874sxzoecr2wxqal6xd42lgk6lxfonsc1cyf lg&rid=giphy.gif

bulldogsthru&thru
21-07-2020, 07:42 PM
Mark Stevens saying we will play Richmond Wednesday night in round 9. At least we’ll have an extra days rest on them

EasternWest
21-07-2020, 08:33 PM
Better skills I hope :D :D :D

https://media3.giphy.com/media/yRXnlNNC9U7FC/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zs874sxzoecr2wxqal6xd42lgk6lxfonsc1cyf lg&rid=giphy.gif

I know where you live.

Axe Man
22-07-2020, 10:56 AM
AFL.com's weekly verdict. Makes sense so can't happen :D

Tough midfielder Callum Porter will make his debut this week as the Dogs look to add some inside grunt against the Suns. Sam Lloyd kicked a goal in last week's scratch match and could return after missing some time with a collarbone injury. Bailey Dale is down on form and has managed just four goals from six matches this year, after kicking 20 goals in a six-week span towards the end of last year.

Verdict: Lloyd and Porter come in for Dale and Lachie Young. - Jourdan Canil

bulldogsthru&thru
22-07-2020, 12:02 PM
Well here we go again. Game more than likely to be wet. How does that affect our selection? Surely it means Libba stays in. Perhaps Richards and Dale will get a spell

Axe Man
22-07-2020, 12:05 PM
Well here we go again. Game more than likely to be wet. How does that affect our selection? Surely it means Libba stays in. Perhaps Richards and Dale will get a spell

Should suit Porter, we certainly won't be seeing Schache return.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-07-2020, 12:40 PM
Should suit Porter, we certainly won't be seeing Schache return.

How can you be so positive. I get nervous each week at the selection table.

GVGjr
22-07-2020, 12:49 PM
Does anyone think we are trialling so many youngsters now with the view that we will need them during the compressed part of the season?

What do we do with the likes of Bontempelli during this period? Play him more forward so it lessens the potential of him missing a game?

Happy Days
22-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Does anyone think we are trialling so many youngsters now with the view that we will need them during the compressed part of the season?

What do we do with the likes of Bontempelli during this period? Play him more forward so it lessens the potential of him missing a game?

I think that is definitely what we are doing. The only feasible strategy during this period is to rotate the team and have everyone who isn't a total liability play at least one of these games.

comrade
22-07-2020, 01:03 PM
I'd rest Bont forward up and then give him a week off against Adelaide if he needs it.

Axe Man
22-07-2020, 01:12 PM
How can you be so positive. I get nervous each week at the selection table.

Even money we will get a head scratcher in selection later today but the wet should also keep Gardner away and I haven't heard any calls for Sweet yet this week so it's all good, so far...

bornadog
22-07-2020, 01:53 PM
According to Bevo presser:

* Libba's knees need to be managed at some stage ( could be this week)
* Sam Lloyd and Billy Gowers are in the mix to return (Shakes head)

Beveridge says he won't be managing players with "any Nostradamus outlook" over the next few weeks, but expect to see a whole host of players get their chance with short turnarounds.

Cyberdoggie
22-07-2020, 02:26 PM
According to Bevo presser:

* Libba's knees need to be managed at some stage ( could be this week)
* Sam Lloyd and Billy Gowers are in the mix to return (Shakes head)

Beveridge says he won't be managing players with "any Nostradamus outlook" over the next few weeks, but expect to see a whole host of players get their chance with short turnarounds.

Definatley sounds like libba out, porter in as a direct replacement.
Got some big games coming up, good time to rest him.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Bont rotated forward a lot and less in the bash and crash. Appeared to be a little sore at time last week.

There's a lot of talk of Lloyd coming back, not sure who for, although i wasn't very impressed with Bailey Dale last week. Was non existent and was shown up by a first gamer.

Bulldog Joe
22-07-2020, 02:53 PM
Definatley sounds like libba out, porter in as a direct replacement.
Got some big games coming up, good time to rest him.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Bont rotated forward a lot and less in the bash and crash. Appeared to be a little sore at time last week.

There's a lot of talk of Lloyd coming back, not sure who for, although i wasn't very impressed with Bailey Dale last week. Was non existent and was shown up by a first gamer.

The talk is Lloyd and/or Gowers. Could only be to replace Dale surely. Although surely anything on the match committee is difficult.

My mind races through all sorts of implausible options and I just want to see the team to keep them out of my head.

Sedat
22-07-2020, 04:10 PM
If Libba is sore this week, obviously rest him. But if it is load management over the next 4 weeks as a precaution to ensure his knees don't get sore, I'd much rather he plays this week and misses against Richmomd. His clearance work and inside grunt will be sorely needed against one of the best clearance teams in the comp, and conversely we'll need less grunt and more run and spread the following round against the Tigers.

bornadog
22-07-2020, 04:25 PM
When are teams announced for the Thursday games?

bulldogsthru&thru
22-07-2020, 04:27 PM
When are teams announced for the Thursday games?

Will be tonight some time. I'm not sure exactly what time (probably around 6:30pm like normal) but it's definitley today.

Grantysghost
22-07-2020, 06:42 PM
Lachie Hunter unavailable due to personal reasons.

Western Bulldogs midfielder Lachie Hunter is currently unavailable for selection due to personal reasons.

The Club will continue to strongly support Lachie as he works through some personal challenges, with his health and well-being to be the priority focus.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/780778

comrade
22-07-2020, 06:51 PM
Sounds ominous.

Stay safe, Lachie.

Grantysghost
22-07-2020, 06:52 PM
Sounds ominous.

Stay safe, Lachie.

Yes agree. Wish him all the best.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-07-2020, 06:52 PM
Another one dealing with metal health issues? I guess in hindsight there were warning signs with his indiscretion during lockdown. Just goes to show you never know who it will hit. All the best to him and hope he’s got all the support he needs

Sedat
22-07-2020, 06:58 PM
Sounds ominous.

Stay safe, Lachie.
From an on-field perspective, it's a real shame. He has been our best player since his return 2 weeks ago.

Hope he can recover as quickly as possible

The bulldog tragician
22-07-2020, 07:03 PM
We know so little of what they are going through. I hope like hell Lachie is ok.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-07-2020, 07:06 PM
All the best for Lachie.

In these ominous times a bit of slack needs to be given to players and the public alike with how we are all coping.

DOG GOD
22-07-2020, 07:07 PM
Doesn’t sound great from the press release. I wish Lachie all the best moving fwd.

ledge
22-07-2020, 07:14 PM
Well we can hope it’s just something like homesick which is an easy fix compared to other mental health issues.
Maybe explains why Porter is in.

bornadog
22-07-2020, 07:18 PM
Well we can hope it’s just something like homesick which is an easy fix compared to other mental health issues.
Maybe explains why Porter is in.

I wonder if it has to do with fiancé.

hopefully he will be ok

Remi Moses
22-07-2020, 07:26 PM
Official
In Porter,GOWERS
Out dale hunter

I’m staggered it wasn’t Lloyd
I don’t get it

bornadog
22-07-2020, 07:26 PM
Why Gowers?????

where is Dickson,

lloyd still recovering I presume

whythelongface
22-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Why Gowers?????

where is Dickson,

lloyd still recovering I presume

Staggering...

comrade
22-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Definitely a worse team rolling out than vs Essendon.

Surely West, Cavarra, McLean or Dickson can provide more than Gowers?

G-Mo77
22-07-2020, 07:32 PM
Gowers. Oh goody!!

Hope Lachie is OK. The small press release made it sound pretty serious.

azabob
22-07-2020, 07:35 PM
My heart sank when I read that Lachie Hunter press release.

Mantis
22-07-2020, 07:36 PM
What does Gowers offer us exactly?

Staggered he gets multiple chances when he never takes any of them.

CarnTheScray
22-07-2020, 07:36 PM
Wheres Dickson? He's 10 times the player Gowers is.

DOG GOD
22-07-2020, 07:39 PM
Wheres Dickson? He's 10 times the player Gowers is.

FFS match committee. I’m sorry but unless Dickson has 2 iced up hammies, this is a joke.

EasternWest
22-07-2020, 07:44 PM
I think that is definitely what we are doing. The only feasible strategy during this period is to rotate the team and have everyone who isn't a total liability play at least one of these games.

Well, this is awkward.

Mantis
22-07-2020, 07:46 PM
Well, this is awkward.

Maybe starting at the bottom and working out way up?

bulldogsthru&thru
22-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Perhaps, with all the rotations that might be necessary over the next 5 rounds, the MC is of the view that Gowers is less a liability against Gold Coast than against the tigers, power or lions? I'm grasping at straws to provide an explanation as i can't think of any other reason he gets a game.

comrade
22-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Playing Porter, Young, Gowers, Vandermeer & Weightman means we're going to have a lot of low production. They'll be lucky to hit 50 touches between them.

Going to need a massive night from our prime movers to win this one.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Any idea how severe Bailey Dale's injury is? Was not reported in the weekly injury list

Mantis
22-07-2020, 07:51 PM
Playing Porter, Young, Gowers, Vandermeer & Weightman means we're going to have a lot of low production. They'll be lucky to hit 50 touches between them.

Going to need a massive night from our prime movers to win this one.

Not to be a downer, but the likes of Richards & Cordy aren’t in great nick either.

Rocket Science
22-07-2020, 07:51 PM
Gowers eh? How utterly pointless.

Imma take a safe stab at Gowers' stats for the game now.

Kicks 3
Handballs 2
Marks 1
Tackles 1
Goals 0
Behinds 2
FF 0
FA 17

Toby McLean isn't exactly borderline flying but he's hardly tracking THAT badly.

Remi Moses
22-07-2020, 07:52 PM
I’d imagine they’re not taking any chances with injuries
West ? McLean ? Anyone ?

kruder
22-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Has anyone seen Hayes in the hub? I'm just surprised he hasn't been in the emergencies given that Bevo loves good trainers

Remi Moses
22-07-2020, 07:54 PM
Gotta say I go to the Defence of Bevo’s selections
But I’m perplexed to be honest

Happy Days
22-07-2020, 07:55 PM
Urgh.

Eastdog
22-07-2020, 07:56 PM
Hope all will be ok with Lachie. Yeah the Gowers selection doesn’t sit very well. Dickson would be the preference you would have thought. Dicko is a great kick at goal. Gowers maybe might surprise us tomorrow night.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-07-2020, 07:58 PM

Kicks 3
Handballs 2
Marks 1
Tackles 1
Goals 0
Behinds 2
FF 0
FA 17

Toby McLean isn't exactly borderline flying but he's hardly tracking THAT badly.

You're almost being optomistic. Billy's stats from his last game:

K: 3
HB: 3
M: 1
G: 0
B: 0
T: 1
FF: 1
FA: 1 (I view this as worse than your 17 as having 17 would at least have meant he got near the ball)

comrade
22-07-2020, 08:00 PM
Not to be a downer, but the likes of Richards & Cordy aren’t in great nick either.

Yep. Quarter of the side will barely touch it.

GVGjr
22-07-2020, 08:01 PM
My heart sank when I read that Lachie Hunter press release.

Agreed, this will also impact the players, he's certainly one of the more popular players within the group

Hopefully he gets better soon and I'm talking more from his own personal position not just from a clubs perspective
The club is in a great position to support him and he will have plenty of his mates around him

GVGjr
22-07-2020, 08:02 PM
I would have thought McLean for Hunter would make a lot of sense

Sedat
22-07-2020, 08:18 PM
What does Gowers offer us exactly?

Staggered he gets multiple chances when he never takes any of them.
I get the Gowers criticism and the talk about other potentially better options that have been ignored, but it's not as though we are losing much on-field output with Dale out.

Hunter out is a huge loss. Having said that, Gold Coast are a real phone box type team so having the extra cover on the inside via Porter for this week will help partially off-set Hunter's loss.

Glad Libba is playing this week. Greenwood has been racking up staggering clearance numbers the last few weeks.

Bulldog Joe
22-07-2020, 08:23 PM
Official
In Porter,GOWERS
Out dale hunter

I’m staggered it wasn’t Lloyd
I don’t get it

Nice to see Porter getting a game and I guess he replaces Hunter. An important role to fill.

Go well young man.

Gowers replaces Dale.

Don't think it costs much in comparison. Gowers at least brings some vigour which Dale lacks.

But please Billy, lets not give away those needless frees. Just do the team thing and share in a win.

Who would I have preferred...

Well ...
We could have chosen

Lew Young (forward marking and ruck relief)
Rhylee West (surely his form was better ..has he done something wrong)
Toby McLean (clearly a better player ... his form has been patchy)
Louis Butler (I know he has played behind the ball, but shows some signs)
Sam Lloyd (Perhaps he is still sore)
Ben Cavarra (we need to find out if he has it and he should be the real pressure forward)
Tory Dickson ( perhaps he has had a leg amputated - he doesn't get mentioned at all but our best small forward for about 7 years)
Fergus Greene (Showed signs in 2018 - is he fit?)
Will Hayes ( showed enough to be a role player and can run)
Bradley Lynch (his form in 2018 was better at top level than at lower grades - Perhaps he is in the land of Oz with Dorothy)
Roarke Smith ( has been 1 of Bevo's projects and can contribute)

That is only 11 players (and all may not be available) that I would choose over Billy Gowers for any role in the team.

Hope I am terribly wrong and Billy gets BOG in a big win.. but I fear that he may be the achilles heel that brings us undone.

comrade
22-07-2020, 08:26 PM
I just don't understand how the MC can ask the question "Who gives us the best chance of winning" and comes up with Billy Gowers as the answer.

KT31
22-07-2020, 08:41 PM
Why pick Gowers, after last few performances he offers very little.
Gia has said Trengove has been excellent at training, not sure why they didn’t bring him in to ruck and let English rest up forward.

Vred
22-07-2020, 09:01 PM
I just don't understand how the MC can ask the question "Who gives us the best chance of winning" and comes up with Billy Gowers as the answer.

like wtf was the point of us signing Dickson for another year if he isn’t going to get selected? Would I trade any of our small forwards for Dickson? Yes.

josie
22-07-2020, 09:06 PM
Please kick straight Billy......

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-07-2020, 09:11 PM
like wtf was the point of us signing Dickson for another year if he isn’t going to get selected? Would I trade any of our small forwards for Dickson? Yes.

I reckon they're better placed than us to know where he is at right now. Bevo and Co know full well what he has done for us, and given his syrong past performances we can only assume they either don't think he has delivered in training, or they are managing him for later in the season.

CarnTheScray
22-07-2020, 09:15 PM
If Dickson is being managed, they are going to use him for the last few games and finals if we make it. If they're not doing that then I don't know what's going on.

kruder
22-07-2020, 09:25 PM
Bevo is going to have the time of his life picking the side during the next block

Get ready for lucky dip city, I reckon even Minson might be a chance ;)

1eyedog
22-07-2020, 09:32 PM
The worst thing Billy can do for us is have a decent game because it will no doubt be followed by a month of absolute tripe.

Home ground, in form, us patchy etc.

bornadog
22-07-2020, 09:36 PM
The worst thing Billy can do for us is have a decent game because it will no doubt be followed by a month of absolute tripe.

As Sedat said, he replaces Dale who has done very little in the past few games, so we aren't losing much.

AutoFill
22-07-2020, 09:38 PM
Nice to see Porter getting a game and I guess he replaces Hunter. An important role to fill.

Go well young man.

Gowers replaces Dale.

Don't think it costs much in comparison. Gowers at least brings some vigour which Dale lacks.

But please Billy, lets not give away those needless frees. Just do the team thing and share in a win.

Well ...
We could have chosen

Ben Cavarra (we need to find out if he has it and he should be the real pressure forward)
Tory Dickson ( perhaps he has had a leg amputated - he doesn't get mentioned at all but our best small forward for about 7 years)
Bradley Lynch (his form in 2018 was better at top level than at lower grades - Perhaps he is in the land of Oz with Dorothy)

That is only 11 players (and all may not be available) that I would choose over Billy Gowers for any role in the team.

Hope I am terribly wrong and Billy gets BOG in a big win.. but I fear that he may be the achilles heel that brings us undone.

I agree in every aspect.

AutoFill
22-07-2020, 09:41 PM

Kicks 3
Handballs 2
Marks 1
Tackles 1
Goals 0
Behinds 2
FF 0
FA 17

You’re feeling generous today.

Bulldog Joe
22-07-2020, 09:56 PM

I fear you are correct and the better he plays for one game the longer the credits last.

Billy could turn into a strong consistent contributor but I am not holding my breath.

DOG GOD
22-07-2020, 09:59 PM
Please kick straight Billy......

He probably won’t even get a shot at goal lol

Happy Days
22-07-2020, 10:37 PM

Go well young man.

Gowers replaces Dale.

Well ...
We could have chosen

Dawg they could've picked you and I would've been happier with the choice. He gets this wrap as a "competitve beast" because of his *checks notes* haircut and willingness to give the other team the ball, but he's every bit as conditional in his efforts as Dale is.

This is an absolutely infuriating selection.

Topdog
22-07-2020, 10:44 PM
Wow this thread has turned for the worse.
I'm not exactly a Billy fan but geez some of the comments in here are over the top

Bulldog Joe
22-07-2020, 10:54 PM
Dawg they could've picked you and I would've been happier with the choice. He gets this wrap as a "competitve beast" because of his *checks notes* haircut and willingness to give the other team the ball, but he's every bit as conditional in his efforts as Dale is.

This is an absolutely infuriating selection.

I think Billy might do better than I could.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-07-2020, 10:59 PM
Wow this thread has turned for the worse.
I'm not exactly a Billy fan but geez some of the comments in here are over the top

He pulls on a Dog's jumper he's deserving of nothing less than our full support and best wishes for a solid performance.
I'm dubious about his long term prospects, but I hope he does the guernsey proud, and repays the faith the MC have shown ihim.

S Coast Simon
23-07-2020, 12:31 AM
Looks like it’s going to be a tough grind in the wet. Billy might go alright throwing his weight around. Good luck Doggies we need this one for a good start to a tough stretch

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2020, 02:25 AM
Might file a missing persons report on Hayes. Literally not heard his name mentioned since last year. Surely the replacement for Hunter and offers more than Young. If they're concerned about the conditions, pick McLean.

West being outed after one bad game is a little odd. Wonder if there's more to that story.

Unless Bont is BOG, hard to see us winning this one.

comrade
23-07-2020, 05:39 AM
I fear you are correct and the better he plays for one game the longer the credits last.

Billy could turn into a strong consistent contributor but I am not holding my breath.

I'm no Billy fan but not sure I understand the logic of hoping he doesn't play well because it'll lead to more games.

Bulldog Joe
23-07-2020, 06:46 AM
I'm no Billy fan but not sure I understand the logic of hoping he doesn't play well because it'll lead to more games.

Certainly not hoping that he doesn't play well.
I would like nothing more than Billy to be a strong consistent contributor in much the way Mitch Wallis has become.

jazzadogs
23-07-2020, 08:51 AM
He was our leading goalkicker two years ago and still copped a bad wrap.

I'm not expecting miracles from Billy, but hoping he can provide a contest and pressure in the forward, and make smart decisions with ball in hand. I'm not confident that's what I'll see, but its what I'm hoping for.

westbulldog
23-07-2020, 09:09 AM
Gowers has to be part of a forward planning rotation thing, can't imagine in normal times he would be selected before a few others. However if he makes more than 1 tackle he has already done more than the disinterested looking Bailey Dale. It is up to him to make the most of what is thought to be a gifted opportunity.

Mofra
23-07-2020, 09:34 AM
Gowersa can actually lead and present to the ball carrier. If he does that and stays out of Bruce's way he'll fill his role.

Be interesting to see how we manage the wing rotations. Macrae might find himself outside the contest again.

1eyedog
23-07-2020, 09:41 AM

i.e. he's not AFL quality. He's the type of player to perhaps just do enough to get one more game and then, as we have seen many times before, completely fluff his opportunities and give away needless free kicks. These have at times been at critical moments. The logic behind my comments are driven by the clear fact that the MC have apparently yet to see enough of him to make a decision while everyone else I know - including a very high percentage on this board - have.

I'm all up for rotating players through the next month but Bulldog Joe has put up a likely list of candidates to fill the role, all of which have higher potential to offer more than Gowers.

So, what else is there for me to do, a fan frustrated by this selection (again). Do you think Gowers can make it?

Bulldog4life
23-07-2020, 09:47 AM
Congrats on Porter and Gowers on their selection. Give it your all boys and we will come out with a win.

Grantysghost
23-07-2020, 09:54 AM
The Gowers bashing on here is a little over the top I think. He hasn't played many games for the reasons outlined so the MC clearly share these concerns, but I think he has (when in form) good intensity and a big body that could be handy so I'm ok with the selection considering number of games coming up. He's one of ours, let's get behind him and hope he helps us to a big win. #teambilly

comrade
23-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Do you think Gowers can make it?

No, I don't and I'm not sure how the MC decides he's the one to help us win this week over the other options available to them, but I do hope he plays well enough to get selected again on merit. If he has a shocker and he keeps getting picked because Bevo is stubborn and falls for the sunk cost fallacy at times, I won't be happy.

The plus side is that the player he's replacing has done very little the past few weeks, so he doesn't need to have a blinder to make up for what we're losing.

bornadog
23-07-2020, 10:15 AM
No, I don't and I'm not sure how the MC decides he's the one to help us win this week over the other options available to them, but I do hope he plays well enough to get selected again on merit. If he has a shocker and he keeps getting picked because Bevo is stubborn and falls for the sunk cost fallacy at times, I won't be happy.

The plus side is that the player he's replacing has done very little the past few weeks, so he doesn't need to have a blinder to make up for what we're losing.

I think he needs to kick at minimum two goals as well as lay tackles and I will be happy.

Testekill
23-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Only thing I want from Gowers is for him to stop giving away damaging frees and 50's. Just focus on the body work inside 50 and don't do anything stupid.

Mantis
23-07-2020, 10:21 AM
I think he needs to kick at minimum two goals as well as lay tackles and I will be happy.

He needs to compete in the air too. GC have 2 or 3 very good interceptors and with only Bruce as a recognized tall Gowers is going to have to compete hard in the air and then help keep the ball in our forward line... I don't think he's capable as he picks and chooses when he competes, but the MC must be confident.

And how he gets his goals will be more important than the number.

1eyedog
23-07-2020, 10:39 AM
The other risk is he's not the most determined player in our forward line when it comes to chasing tail. Hoping he can provide some pressure and be accountable.

The bulldog tragician
23-07-2020, 10:51 AM
Just on Bailey Dale. I know he has his knockers. I get very frustrated by him too. But I do think his workrate has improved a lot. I'm always surprised when I watch matches (our wins only of course) the next day that he features more than I think and there is often a crucial bit of play where he has worked quite hard to get up the ground and help. It is hard watching on TV to know sometimes - what role he is playing, where he is leading/not leading. Of course his main purpose is to kick goals .. he hasn't been doing that enough.

GVGjr
23-07-2020, 10:51 AM
I'm neutral on the Gowers inclusion, the conditions might just suit him but I'm not excited by his inclusion.

jeemak
23-07-2020, 11:15 AM

Elite small forward type averages and you'll be happy? :)

He needs to hopefully hit the scoreboard sure, and bring his team mates into the play by getting the ball to them or creating space for them, and agreed he needs to tackle.

Bulldog Joe
23-07-2020, 11:23 AM

My happiness with his performance, will not be based on whether he kicks goals.

He could not hit the scoreboard but still play an important role. Conversely he could manage 2 goals and leave me unhappy depending on what else he does.

I want him to compete, to stop GC defenders marking and also stop easy exits from our forward 50. I also want him to not concede blatant frees and especially 50 metre penalties.

I also want him to be part of a very good win.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-07-2020, 11:28 AM
I'm neutral on the Gowers inclusion, the conditions might just suit him but I'm not excited by his inclusion.

Yes in all honesty he may go better in the conditions than Dale might have. I think it levels it out a bit.

Grantysghost
23-07-2020, 11:50 AM
Re Billy I want to see him using that beast of a frame and halve as many contests as he can. I remember a coach of mine telling me to get to x numbers of contests a quarter to keep it simple that's what I want from Billy in the forward half. Do some of that bullocking work, lock it in bash and crash. Yes he's limited, but he's a passionate guy and I think if we pull the right lever he could be very handy. It's probably getting close to his last chance with the mooted list size changes.

Bullies
23-07-2020, 12:05 PM
He needs to compete in the air too. GC have 2 or 3 very good interceptors and with only Bruce as a recognized tall Gowers is going to have to compete hard in the air and then help keep the ball in our forward line... I don't think he's capable as he picks and chooses when he competes, but the MC must be confident.

And how he gets his goals will be more important than the number. The MC says he is our best on the training track. Spare me. Does MC not see the undisciplined acts of giving away stupid free kicks and flying for marks he has no hope of taking and the lack of chase out of the forward line. The opposition could leave him as a loose man on the forward line and he would still have no impact. Sorry but he has had his chances and many of them.

Ozza
23-07-2020, 12:14 PM
I don't think the Suns are a great match up for us. Last week I was supremely confident against Essendon, who I don't think are better than us in any area. The Suns are a good centre stoppage team, and we've slipped in this area, so I'm really pleased Libba has stayed in and I'm hoping he is at as many centre stoppages as possible.

If we can get our share of the clearances, I'm confident enought that we can get the territory game going to suit us, I just hope that if GCS start getting numbers back that we've learned our lessons from the carlton game.

The changes, well, I wasn't rapt with them last week, and this weeks team is not as strong as last week's either. I think we should win, but am less confident than last week. I think Gowers role needs to making either Ballard or Lukoscious accountable/reducing their intercept possesssions. If he can hit the scoreboard as well, then great, but we need him to be using his physical attributes to play a disciplined game.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2020, 12:40 PM
My issue with Gowers is that he has the physical attributes to be a good player - he's strong, OK pace, can take a good mark and compete at ground level - but his efforts are more inconsistent that almost any other player I've seen. Not just from game to game, but literally contest to contest.

He's just as likely to lead up at the ball and take a really impressive contested mark, as he is to completely avoid a contest and be outmarked.

He also doesn't apply pressure, which means he's routinely out of the contest and a liability. The less said about his undisciplined acts the better.

I think he's the most frustrating player on our list because he SHOULD be able to do most things well (kicking aside), but he doesn't and it's largely effort based.

comrade
23-07-2020, 12:56 PM
My issue with Gowers is that he has the physical attributes to be a good player - he's strong, OK pace, can take a good mark and compete at ground level - but his efforts are more inconsistent that almost any other player I've seen. Not just from game to game, but literally contest to contest.

He's just as likely to lead up at the ball and take a really impressive contested mark, as he is to completely avoid a contest and be outmarked.

He also doesn't apply pressure, which means he's routinely out of the contest and a liability. The less said about his undisciplined acts the better.

I think he's the most frustrating player on our list because he SHOULD be able to do most things well (kicking aside), but he doesn't and it's largely effort based.

If he doesn't go balls to the wall tonight, he never will.

This might be his last shot at proving himself at the level. He has every incentive to leave nothing on the field so let's hope he's up to the challenge.

1eyedog
23-07-2020, 01:06 PM

Maybe he just can't play?

He's 24 and has played 30 games and a heap of VFL matches he needs to have shown something in that time but he hasn't. I think the VFL is just his limit.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2020, 01:39 PM

He's 24 and has played 30 games and a heap of VFL matches he needs to have shown something in that time but he hasn't. I think the VFL is just his limit.

He's had enough experience to deliver more. No doubt. I don't see him making it as a forward.

Could he transition to the back half of the ground or mid? I know he's been thrown into the mid group on occasion, but I wonder if putting him in positions where he NEEDS to use his strength might help he become more assertive, more consistently.

Bulldog Joe
23-07-2020, 01:43 PM
He's had enough experience to deliver more. No doubt. I don't see him making it as a forward.

Could he transition to the back half of the ground or mid? I know he's been thrown into the mid group on occasion, but I wonder if putting him in positions where he NEEDS to use his strength might help he become more assertive, more consistently.

Wan't his first life of senior football, when drafted by Carlton, as a defender.

Didn't do enough to stay on their list. Came to Footscray as a marking forward and got redrafted.

He has had plenty of chances. Needs to make the most of this one.

bornadog
23-07-2020, 02:06 PM
Wan't his first life of senior football, when drafted by Carlton, as a defender.

Didn't do enough to stay on their list. Came to Footscray as a marking forward and got redrafted.

Never played a game at Carlton, but did play in the back line at Northern Blues

Bulldog Joe
23-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Never played a game at Carlton, but did play in the back line at Northern Blues

I know. Couldn't crack a Carlton side as a defender.

I was responding to a suggestion that we could try him as a defender.

bornadog
23-07-2020, 02:57 PM
I know. Couldn't crack a Carlton side as a defender.

I was responding to a suggestion that we could try him as a defender.

Worth trying in the backline, but is he what we need and who does he replace?

Bulldog Joe
23-07-2020, 03:35 PM
Worth trying in the backline, but is he what we need and who does he replace?

I think my point is that it probably isn't worth trying him in the backline. He started off there in his footy journey and did not succeed.

We have plenty of other options.

Jeanette54
23-07-2020, 04:31 PM

Your comment leads me to remember another whipping boy on this site, one who has proven to be an exceptional talent, for another team. His name Liam Jones. His lack of success at this club wasn't a lack of talent or ability. It was a failure of the club to understand where his talents might lie.. PS. However he was instrumental in one of the premiership cups with our name on it. The 2014 VFL cup.

comrade
23-07-2020, 04:42 PM
Your comment leads me to remember another whipping boy on this site, one who has proven to be an exceptional talent, for another team. His name Liam Jones. His lack of success at this club wasn't a lack of talent or ability. It was a failure of the club to understand where his talents might lie.. PS. However he was instrumental in one of the premiership cups with our name on it. The 2014 VFL cup.

Yeah, LJ stings, given our need for another quality tall down back. Our lack of vision hurt us with him and to think that basketcase was able to figure him out!

Josh Schache is another that we need to experiment with, IMO.

Bulldog4life
23-07-2020, 04:59 PM
Yeah, LJ stings, given our need for another quality tall down back. Our lack of vision hurt us with him and to think that basketcase was able to figure him out!

Josh Schache is another that we need to experiment with, IMO.

We got Caleb for him so that should ease the sting comrade.

comrade
23-07-2020, 05:08 PM
We got Caleb for him so that should ease the sting comrade.

Very true!

Just ironic that we've given up a bunch of best 22 key defenders (Jones, Hamling, Roughead, Adams for the 3 games a year he's not injured) to other clubs when we're still crying out for one ourselves.

hujsh
23-07-2020, 06:16 PM

We wanted to keep Jones. He was promising back then as a tall forward. He's the one that wanted to leave. He was actively poached by another team who only accidentally found out he was a good defender because they couldn't develop him as a forward and didn't want him in the way of their other young forwards in the VFL at the time.

This idea that we discarded Jones and Carlton turned him around isn't accurate. His primary time as a whipping boy came once he went to Carlton because he was so hyped up by Malthouse and imploded so spectacularly.

comrade
23-07-2020, 06:31 PM
We wanted to keep Jones. He was promising back then as a tall forward. He's the one that wanted to leave. He was actively poached by another team who only accidentally found out he was a good defender because they couldn't develop him as a forward and didn't want him in the way of their other young forwards in the VFL at the time.

This idea that we discarded Jones and Carlton turned him around isn't accurate. His primary time as a whipping boy came once he went to Carlton because he was so hyped up by Malthouse and imploded so spectacularly.

We didn't discard him, but he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire with us.

GVGjr
23-07-2020, 06:58 PM

He was mainly a defender at the TAC level and yes I think Carlton had him pegged as a defender.

I haven't given up on him turning things around but he must make the most of just about every opportunity he gets this year

Ozza
23-07-2020, 07:10 PM
After all the discussion....Gowers is a lock to kick 3 and have one of his best games for the club tonight, isn't he ;)

hujsh
23-07-2020, 07:31 PM
We didn't discard him, but he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire with us.

His last year he was probably out of form since it seems he only played 10 games but he was averaging 1.2 goals and his contested mark numbers in 2013 and 2011 were impressive (not far off Naughton territory and in worse teams).

Plenty of people were unimpressed he left and that we didn't get more for him. Then we were all laughing that we got Caleb for him not long later.

The bulldog tragician
23-07-2020, 11:32 PM
After all the discussion....Gowers is a lock to kick 3 and have one of his best games for the club tonight, isn't he ;)

This didn’t wear well Ozza :)

Ozza
24-07-2020, 12:08 AM
This didn’t wear well Ozza :)

Oh god.....even the collective reverse psychology couldn't get him up and going.

The bulldog tragician
24-07-2020, 12:10 AM
Oh god.....even the collective reverse psychology couldn't get him up and going.
Maybe it made him over confident in those dying minutes. The WOOF community believe in me!