PDA

View Full Version : Forward focus fine for Wallis

bornadog
21-07-2020, 11:33 AM
link: (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/746411/forward-focus-fine-for-wallis)

Mitch Wallis is the Bulldogs' joint leading goal-kicker through the opening seven rounds of the 2020 AFL Premiership season.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/07/17/662e195c-a210-44e1-b4ec-21364ca5f49b/CTQRjMRt.jpg?width=952&height=592

At the start of 2020, a three-pronged tall forward set-up looked to be a real possibility for the Western Bulldogs.

One man that snuck under the radar was Mitch Wallis.

And perhaps somewhat surprisingly, he’s the Bulldogs’ joint leading goal-kicker – alongside one of those tall forwards, recruit Josh Bruce – after seven rounds.

The Bulldogs’ forward line has taken on a number of different looks already in 2020.

Aaron Naughton and Sam Lloyd, the two leading goal-kickers, have missed large chunks through injury. Laitham Vandermeer has made the most of his opportunities since a round two debut. Josh Schache has had an opportunity, so to Rhylee West and last week’s debutant, Cody Weightman.

Wallis, one of the Bulldogs’ leaders, has been a constant and important presence.

He’s missed a lot of footy in recent years – playing just 47 of a possible 83 games, since a serious leg injury in 2016.

But he’s now benefitting from a sustained run and a settled role, transitioning from an inside midfielder to a crafty goal-kicker who is strong overhead and hard at the ball.

“Having a clear focus of being a forward has helped,” Wallis told Fox Footy this week.

“I’ve been spending a lot of time with Ash Hansen, our forwards coach, just working on intricate little details of forward craft and that’s really helped me.

“I feel like I’m an important pillar of our forward line at the moment in how we’re structured up.”

His ability to convert has been paramount.

Wallis snagged three goals straight against Essendon in Friday night’s important win.

That leaves him with an accurate 9.2 for the season, with goals in every game bar one.

“It’s about making the most of your opportunities,” Wallis said.

“Forward lines these days aren’t touching the ball that often, if you get a dozen touches you’re actually having a good impact on the game.

“I’ve been lucky enough to hit the scoreboard on occasions.”

bulldogsthru&thru
21-07-2020, 11:42 AM
Wally has been great up forward. And all credit to him for accepting a different role in the side. He was a beast inside midfielder in his junior days but the transition to AFL didn't work as hoped as his skills and lack of pace were found out. Also the fact we are stacked for midfielders and light on for forwards has meant turning him into a medium forward was important both for him and the team as it's our area of weakness but also means he's more likely to get consistent games. The same is happening to West at the moment. Mitch is a smart footballer and now seems to be adding goalkicking nous to his craft. His accuracy is very much needed in our side. Let's hope is upward trajectory continues.

1eyedog
21-07-2020, 12:05 PM
Everything done by thus guy is pure class from a positive clubman through to one on one contests to goal kicking. If anyone could succeed in a role change its Mitch. Consumate professional you need these 'sets high standards' guys at your club. Also think he's been an excellent mentor to Weightnan.

comrade
21-07-2020, 12:35 PM
I'm guilty of focusing on what he can't do rather than what he can, but I can't deny that he's doing exactly what's asked of him.

He treats each set shot like gold, never waivers from his technique and the results prove themselves. Within 30-40m, there's no one else I'd rather have the ball besides Tory Dickson.

Remi Moses
21-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Hits the scoreboard for us
Great one on one mark also

jeemak
21-07-2020, 07:12 PM
I think people forget how good in close he was with his hands, and his ability to play a slightly more defencive role. Unfortunately he was never able to get enough of the footy to justify his lack of pace.

It's a credit to him that he's been able to transition to a valuable forward who takes his chances.

The bulldog tragician
21-07-2020, 09:38 PM
A great person and leader of men is our Wally. Gee I hope he gets that flag he so cruelly missed out on.

bornadog
21-07-2020, 09:45 PM
A great person and leader of men is our Wally. Gee I hope he gets that flag he so cruelly missed out on.

Caught up with him at the Prelim when he stopped to talk to us. Felt so sorry for him at the time, but he was pumped for the boys.

Testekill
23-07-2020, 10:32 AM
He's a reliable forward and almost has a talent for getting punched in the gut by the football. He's probably the only forward in our best 22 that I'm confident with ball in hand.

DragzLS1
24-07-2020, 08:30 PM
Wallis would be a starting midfielder in some sides that's how good he is inside and having him play forward with his skill set, then bringing the goalkicking and footy smarts along with him gives me alot of confidence when he is involved in the play in our forward half. We are lucky to have such a great player and professional play for us. Role change? Like it was nothing for him and has improved our forward line no doubt from day one.

Jeanette54
25-07-2020, 09:26 PM
Another good game from Mitch against the Suns, such a consistent season from him this year.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2020, 04:11 PM
Oh oh Wally.

WBFC Leading Goal Kicker

2014 Stewart Crameri 37 (WADA > Delisted)
2015 Jake Stringer 56 (Sensationally traded out)
2016 Jake Stringer (2) 42 (See above)
2017 Liam Picken 24 (Severe brain injury, retired early)
Jake Stringer (3). (see above, traded right after finishing top)
2018 Billy Gowers 26 (delisted two years later)
2019 Sam Lloyd 38 (retires at least a year early despite having a contract)
2020 Mitch Wallis 25 .....

bornadog
16-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Oh oh Wally.

WBFC Leading Goal Kicker

Other than Wally, all the others have left

Rocket Science
16-12-2020, 07:21 PM
Other than Wally, all the others have left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk&ab_channel=DovidDovidson

:cool:

Sedat
16-12-2020, 08:05 PM
Oh oh Wally.

WBFC Leading Goal Kicker

1981 - Shane Loveless (hit the piss and went bush)
1989 - Adrian Campbell (terrible knee injury the following year)
1993 - Danny Del Re (out of favour with Joycey)
1995 - Richard Osborne (joined the filth)
1996 - Jason Watts (disappeared, along with his perfect hair)
1997 - Simon Minton-Connell (couldn't mark above his chest)
2004 - Jade Rawlings (sook who didn't want to be there)
2009 - Jason Akermanis (douchebag)

Twodogs
16-12-2020, 09:39 PM
1981 - Shane Loveless (hit the piss and went bush)
1989 - Adrian Campbell (terrible knee injury the following year)
1993 - Danny Del Re (out of favour with Joycey)
1995 - Richard Osborne (joined the filth)
1996 - Jason Watts (disappeared, along with his perfect hair)
1997 - Simon Minton-Connell (couldn't mark above his chest)
2004 - Jade Rawlings (sook who didn't want to be there)
2009 - Jason Akermanis (douchebag)

1978 Kelvin Templeton 118
1979 Kelvin Templeton 91
1980 Kelvin Templeton 75

1981 preseason game does his knee never plays a decent game again, gone at the end of 1982.

1982 Simon Beasley 82
1983 Simon Beasley 69
1984 Simon Beasley 61
1985 Simon Beasley 105
1986 Simon Beasley 88
1987 Simon Beasley 73
1988 Simon Beasley 82

Retired by R10 in 1989.

2002 Nathan Brown 57
2003 Nathan Brown 56

2004 was playing at Richmond

2010 Barry Hall 80
2011 Barry Hall 55

Retired at the end of 2011.

Winning our goalkicking is a curse!

Rocket Science
16-12-2020, 11:23 PM
So the adage is true, you're not truly done at the top level until you've topped the Dogs' goalkicking.

Happy Days
16-12-2020, 11:29 PM
So.

Anyone else feeling a bit, let’s say, realistic about Wallis as a forward long term? He was totally anonymous in the final aside from a couple of gifted opportunities, and he really seems like the sort of player who can’t make his own chances at goal.

I love him but he can’t be our first option.

soupman
16-12-2020, 11:47 PM
So.

Anyone else feeling a bit, let’s say, realistic about Wallis as a forward long term? He was totally anonymous in the final aside from a couple of gifted opportunities, and he really seems like the sort of player who can’t make his own chances at goal.

C'mon man we have enough forwards to be soberingly realistic about without doing Mitch as well.

Happy Days
17-12-2020, 12:14 AM
C'mon man we have enough forwards to be soberingly realistic about without doing Mitch as well.

I can't recall a time where a high ball came in or where the ball was in front of Mitch and he made a goal happen. Naughton had a shocking year but I can think of plenty of examples of both.

He is definitely a cog in a good forward line but he can't be the focal point like he was most of this year. Yet another thing that is Josh Bruce's fault.

boydogs
17-12-2020, 01:59 AM
I can't recall a time where a high ball came in or where the ball was in front of Mitch and he made a goal happen. Naughton had a shocking year but I can think of plenty of examples of both.

He is definitely a cog in a good forward line but he can't be the focal point like he was most of this year. Yet another thing that is Josh Bruce's fault.

Mitch is our 2020 Brad Johnson, we wish a 5'11" bloke wasn't our KPF but doesn't mean he's a bad player

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-12-2020, 02:33 AM
Mitch is our 2020 Brad Johnson, we wish a 5'11" bloke wasn't our KPF but doesn't mean he's a bad player

Not sure that Mitch is as multi dimensonal ad Johnno, but I do believe he has 'fabric' qualities, that are important.

He's come back from an historically horrific injury. Nathan Brown never recovered from a similar injury.

I think Mitch can play an important role over the next 2 -3 years, in our forward line, and his intangibles will supplement Naughty and Jamarra.

FrediKanoute
17-12-2020, 03:40 AM
Agree. Wallis on the forward line is the hardworking guy who scores goals and also creates goals for his teammates. Would be interesting to see his assist stats this year as well as his goal stats. The other good thing about wallis is that he is acccurate.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Not sure that Mitch is as multi dimensonal ad Johnno, but I do believe he has 'fabric' qualities, that are important.

He's come back from an historically horrific injury. Nathan Brown never recovered from a similar injury.

I think Mitch can play an important role over the next 2 -3 years, in our forward line, and his intangibles will supplement Naughty and Jamarra.

Yeah I think he’s good enough to warrant opposition attention. And this was proven on multiple occasions a last season. That’s all you can ask for with Mitch. He was never supposed to be the main guy but credit to him (and debit to Bruce/Dale/Lloyd etc) for becoming that last year. We won’t go very far if he continues to be our no 1 forward though. But if he continues last seasons output then the opposition will be forced to put attention into him. Given he’s a fantastic 1-1 forward that can only benefit Naughts and Jamarra as we can isolate Mitch away from the others to drag defenders away. How we never got that right last season is a mystery to me but hopefully we get it right for 2021.

bornadog
17-12-2020, 09:50 AM
Agree. Wallis on the forward line is the hardworking guy who scores goals and also creates goals for his teammates. Would be interesting to see his assist stats this year as well as his goal stats. The other good thing about wallis is that he is accurate.

25 goals, 11 assists

Mofra
17-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Mitch plays nothing like Johnno.
Johnno could out-run anyone who could spoil him, and outmark anyone who could run with him.

Wallis is great. He's unique. He rarely marks above his head, is slow as a wet week, and doesn't have much (if any) X factor.

He's also incredibly smart in positioning as the "other" option, has ridiculous core strength so in any wrestle he invariably holds his position and marks the ball, and even better never gets in the way of the big guys who fly for marks and/or bring the ball to ground. Wally's opponent never gives a chop-out to his teammates because Wally doesn't allow them to.

He's a good solid cog and even better - he sacrificed his natural game and preferred position for the good of the team. A few other blokes on our list should take note.

bornadog
17-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Mitch plays nothing like Johnno.
Johnno could out-run anyone who could spoil him, and outmark anyone who could run with him.

Wallis is great. He's unique. He rarely marks above his head, is slow as a wet week, and doesn't have much (if any) X factor.

He's also incredibly smart in positioning as the "other" option, has ridiculous core strength so in any wrestle he invariably holds his position and marks the ball, and even better never gets in the way of the big guys who fly for marks and/or bring the ball to ground. Wally's opponent never gives a chop-out to his teammates because Wally doesn't allow them to.

He's a good solid cog and even better - he sacrificed his natural game and preferred position for the good of the team. A few other blokes on our list should take note.

He also flies the flag if necessary. He is a tough bugger.

soupman
17-12-2020, 12:10 PM
So.

I was pretty happy to let him go when Brisbane were sniffing around as i didn't think him being a good forward was sustainable but his 2020 has done enough to alleviate my fears.

While I share your concerns as to his limitations to get involved i do think he has two key attributes no one else brings to our team:

Very importantly, he is a steadying influence in front of goal. We have had many issues throughout the Beveridge era with dominating play for little reward or needing a goal to stay in touch. We know that if Mitch gets a shot within 40m it is almost always a goal, and much like when Dickson used to calm us down by banking those opportunities having Mitch as the only bloke we can rely on to convert them means he is very important. We have no one else on the list who has shown an ability to kick those important regulation goals.

Secondly, and MJP often harps on about this (although I am going to butcher the words involved), is that you need some fabric players on the list that have had to overcome adversity to get to where they are and drive standards within the group. Think Picken, Morris, Boyd etc. Mitch was a high draft pick and a father son recruit, so he had an easy start to his career, but since then has struggled for form, struggled for a position and had his fair share of injury hardship as well, and he has still managed to dig himself into our best 22. Having a guy like him in the side is very important for the group dynamic.

He adds more things, he is hard at it, flies the flag and is clearly a leader, and we have the added bonus of never having to use him in the midfield again which is a win. He does lack mobility but luckily the talls we want to play forward with him (with the very clear exception of Bruce) all cover the ground well, are pretty quick and decent at ground level (English if he plays forward might not be amazing at all of those tbf), so he doesn't make our forwardline too top heavy.

I am very happy to have Mitch as a regular part of our forwardline until we have someone else push him out and deliver on the things only he is capable of delivering on atm.

comrade
17-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Yeah, what soupa said :D

bornadog
17-12-2020, 01:45 PM
We know that if Mitch gets a shot within 40m it is almost always a goal,

those two misses in the EF would have made a difference to the result. :D

1eyedog
17-12-2020, 06:09 PM
those two misses in the EF would have made a difference to the result. :D

At least he had an opportunity to miss unlike the rest of our forward line.

1eyedog
17-12-2020, 06:16 PM
So.

Go and wash your mouth out.

Talk about shooting Bambi.

Happy Days
17-12-2020, 06:34 PM
Go and wash your mouth out.

Talk about shooting Bambi.

I’m not saying that he doesn’t have a role in the team or isn’t clearly best 22, I’d just be very uninspired if despite our off season our forward line has the same level of dynamism as 2020 next year.

Twodogs
17-12-2020, 08:09 PM
Yeah, what soupa said :D

Yeah. What Comrade said what Soupa said.

macca
18-12-2020, 09:16 PM
Mitch is one of those players who brings other players into the game, and his core fabric in keeping the team together. I feel if we have another dynamic forward who can provide another option to goal we will see more output from Mitch.

We really need player to step up in the medium-small forward space like Jong/ Dale/ , or one of the small forwards to kick that 30-40 goals a season something which Sam Lloyd did very well for us in 2019.

You know you get 100% from Mitch. I would like to see him tackle harder like Clay smith or Picken , who just scarred oppositions when he was around