PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 10 Vs Port Adelaide 2020

Scraggers
22-07-2020, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 9 match against Richmond for our Round 10, 2020 match against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Monday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
29-07-2020, 10:01 PM
Bump

swampdau
29-07-2020, 10:15 PM
there are a lot of players I would spell but I'm not sure we have the cattle to bring in

comrade
29-07-2020, 11:06 PM
Shuffling deck chairs.

Bring in Roarke Smith.

westbulldog
29-07-2020, 11:09 PM
So many passengers should get off at the next stop Port Adelaide. Have to think about who.

Eastdog
29-07-2020, 11:10 PM
Definitely need to drop Billy Gowers I would think.

GVGjr
29-07-2020, 11:27 PM
Need some bold decisions for the game against Port

I'll give this some more thought but I'd be looking at the likes of Hayes, Greene and West. Lewis Young an outside chance

Grantysghost
29-07-2020, 11:29 PM
Does Vanders have any worries re the head high bump on Balta in the last ? It looked like a dogs one weeker.

Happy Days
29-07-2020, 11:31 PM
Greene for Gowers, West for Suckers and Lew Young for Bruce. Could be talked into Cavarra for Lloyd.

GVGjr
29-07-2020, 11:35 PM
Does Vanders have any worries re the head high but bump on Balta in the last ? It looked like a dogs one weeker.

Good question, I hope not

jazzadogs
29-07-2020, 11:37 PM
So many players look tired. I would be happy for 5-6 changes to freshen us up. Suckling obviously one definite out.

Unfortunately I won't be surprised if Gowers gets another game purely because he is fit and energetic. He was worse tonight than last week.

Lipinski, Richards, Bruce are top of my list of those who struggled to cover the ground tonight.

Based on our injury list, fit players that could come in are:
2 Lewis Young
13 Schache
14 West
18 Butler
19 Weightman
24 Khamis
25 Cavarra
30 Greene
32 Hayes
36 Lynch
37 Roarke Smith
40 Lachie Young
41 Sweet
43 Gardner

There's not exactly a lot of cream in that pool.

1eyedog
29-07-2020, 11:37 PM
Shuffling deck chairs.

Bring in Roarke Smith.

This. Unless Hunter is ready or Dunkley and Naughts have miraculously recovered from their ankles team selections from here are for shits and giggles.

EasternWest
29-07-2020, 11:38 PM
It looked like a dogs one weeker.

That's great.

angelopetraglia
29-07-2020, 11:43 PM
West needs to come in. If it’s going to be dry I would also look at Schache.

Out: Suckling, Gowers

FrediKanoute
30-07-2020, 12:25 AM
Personally I think Gowers and Lloyd's cards need to be stamped and their termination notices provided. Neither are going to be a part of any premiership tilt. Lloyds role has been replaced by Wallis - he is a better forward and can go i and get his own ball if necessary. Gowers is simply a liability who no only doesn't do the team things, but also doesn't get the ball enough.

To me - West for Lloyd and Lew Young/Schache for Gowers. Bruce needs support. He needs someone who will take one of the tall defenders and Schache to me needs to be allowed to fail and not be immediately dropped.

Sedat
30-07-2020, 12:26 AM
Does Vanders have any worries re the head high bump on Balta in the last ? It looked like a dogs one weeker.
Yes he does. It's real borderline on a fine or 1 week. The MRO have a very dim view on that sort of contact to the head - the only thing that might save him is low enough impact and a favourable medical report on Balta.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-07-2020, 12:29 AM
Tonight showed against a top 4 Club in Richmond how far off the pace we really are at the moment. Until we get the likes of Dunkley Naughton Duryrea Schache and play Lew Young we will continue to struggle. Playing the likes of Gowers Suckling and Trengrove on tonight’s performance was a mistake whilst Johannissen continues to play poorly. Bruce has played one good game in nine and his form is a big problem.

soupman
30-07-2020, 01:10 AM
I find it surprising that for a side that struggles so hard to link up going forward, especially when missing our hardest running linkman in Hunter, that we have completely ignored both Hayes and Smith who while neither being great, appeared to both be in the senior frame early this year and both are surely our next two options for that role.

Aside from Essendon we are surely the club with the most forwards incapable of doing anything outside the 50m mark, Lloyd, Bruce, Gowers and Wallis all offer actually nothing upfield and McLean should but doesn't. On top of that aside from McLean none offer any real defensive pressure or pace (I mean Lloyd and Wallis try but they're not catching anybody that can get out of a light jog).

I would make the following changes.

If English is not being rested, then he plays as the sole ruckman. If he needs a rest, give him one, and play Sweet or Trengove as the sole ruck.

I want two key forwards that at least compete, Bruce is pretty shit at it but he has to stay, Gowers is not a key forward and while he does try he isn't good at it. Drop him. Top bloke and top trainer I'm sure but the novelty has well and truly worn off for him as an AFL player. If they want to play Trengove on Dixon then Cordy swings forward for this role, otherwise I'd play Lewis Young instead of Trengove at whichever end the coaching staff like him at this week. I personally prefer him in defence but seeing as he is a less good Naughton (contested marking light on his feet mobile tall that can find the ball but is a bit of a mixed bag) I'm happy for him to play in whatever role we assigned Naughton in our forward plans.

McLean continues to give us nothing, I'm kind of in the camp now that we clearly have no idea how to make him work so don't bother, he has no trade value anyway so don't play him and send him to another club at the end of the year for his own sake. He was really good once, but since 2017 has played maybe 2 games I would classify as "better than ok", so lets just move on. He is the one I take out for the Hayes/Smith swap, don't care which.

I haven't replaced Gowers yet so in his place I'd put someone who ideally has some forward instincts, some pace and can push a little higher on occasion. Basically another Laitham Vandermeer. I'm not sure we really have anyone on the list that is all that and isn't a complete gamble in terms of output (ie. Weightman), except for Dickson I guess but I'm not sure he is still on our list so assuming he was delisted and they just forgot to tell any of us then probably West gets the spot, or maybe Greene (I think he might actually be more of the Dale/Lloyd/Wallis type to get 6 touches and do nothing upfield but i do want to see him play). I'm fine with Weightman getting the spot but I really want contributors in the side to try to bring up the serviceability of our bottom 5 and Weightmans two games have basically been a complete load of nothing with two nice goals thrown in. Cavarra I guess could also fit the bill here fwiw but again he hasn't been sighted since celebrating with the boys after kicking his first goal in our round 1 thrashing.

Btw Lipinski and Richards were terrible but they will both be good players and are important in trying to give our side a clean ball user and pace respectively (even though both failed miserably tonight) so both get more chances (plus i really like them both and there is nothing to replace them with).

Oh I forgot Suckling, I guess any of the above comes in for him, maybe adding Young and Butler to the list, at least they are decent users and can find the ball, although I think they should be in defensive spots I don't have any of to hand out. I don't really rate any of the other smalls we have available (which is basically just Porter and Lynch).

As always these changes don't make any real difference, what matters is that we actually turn up and show some grit when things aren't going our way. The defence has been decent for the most part so they are largely untouched Trengove possible switch excepted, ruck is rotational, I'm more trying to give our forwardline an ability to not be so one paced. At the moment it's like a baby bird waiting to get the footy vomited into its mouth, I'd like to atleast put a player or two in there that could help it fly (apologies for the atrocious analogy).

So:
Drop Trengove (who may be immediately recalled two lines down), Gowers (controversial), McLean (unuseable) and Suckling (uncharacteristically quiet)
English stays in, but if he isn't going to be our only ruck then either Trengove comes straight back in or Sweet comes in.
If they want Trengove on Dixon then he comes straight back in and Cordy goes forward, if they want Keath or *cringe* Cordy on Dixon then Young comes in to play forward (or back if they want to put Cordy forward)
McLean goes out for Hayes or Smith. If Hunter is available then obviously he comes in here.
Gowers goes out for Dickson/West or failing them any of Greene/Weightman/Cavarra.
Suckling for whatever balances us best out of the leftovers from the above two lines plus Butler and Young, but in true Beveridge style i am expecting Khamis.

Scraggers
30-07-2020, 01:26 AM
If we still believe we have a tilt, then put our best 22 on the park. That means Gowers is gone (passport stamped) Suckers out (injured) and Bruce needs a rest (unless the Match Committee is wiling you play both Bruce and Schache for multiple games in a row to get them used to playing with each other). Trengove gets one more week. Bring in West for Gowers, Le Young for Suckers.

If however (based on our four BIG losses) we are building to 2021, the bring in Sweet (bye bye Trengove), Kharmis (Please don’t come back Gowers) and West for Suckers (injured)

josie
30-07-2020, 06:37 AM
Personally I think Gowers and Lloyd's cards need to be stamped and their termination notices provided. Neither are going to be a part of any premiership tilt. Lloyds role has been replaced by Wallis - he is a better forward and can go i and get his own ball if necessary. Gowers is simply a liability who no only doesn't do the team things, but also doesn't get the ball enough.

To me - West for Lloyd and Lew Young/Schache for Gowers. Bruce needs support. He needs someone who will take one of the tall defenders and Schache to me needs to be allowed to fail and not be immediately dropped.

Well said. Lloyd looks too slow for mine. Gowers too clumsy. Does my head in Gowers has multiple games and displays less than nothing and Schache is dropped after one game. Surely this has an negative impact on the players.

Hotdog60
30-07-2020, 06:49 AM
Vandermeer would be a bit stiff if he gets a week although he is a Dog so maybe it will be two weeks.
To me Balta made it look worse than it was in that he paused and then moved forwarded into Vandermeer who was stationary at the time of impact with his hands up.
Also there was a sling tackle in there but I can't remember who was involved, not by one of ours but one of theirs.

G-Mo77
30-07-2020, 06:53 AM
We get stuck into Dale about defensive pressure and rightly so at times but Lloyd is similar. He'll probably be safe because of Suckling's injury though.

Gowers out and thanks for your services. Quick one for SC'ers he finished off with a -2 score in a full game.

I'm not sure where to go after a loss like this. Schace back? Weightman? Anyone else from injury ready?

Bullies
30-07-2020, 08:04 AM
Well said. Lloyd looks too slow for mine. Gowers too clumsy. Does my head in Gowers has multiple games and displays less than nothing and Schache is dropped after one game. Surely this has an negative impact on the players. Well said. Lloyd escapes a lot of criticism but only seems to get involved when the side is going well. He offers nothing when he has to work for it. The other one I would throw in is Trengove. There is a reason why he wasn't getting a game at Port and to offer him 3 years @ $500k+ is just wrong. Maybe throw that kind of money at Balta.

MrMahatma
30-07-2020, 09:47 AM
Our depth is just not there at present.

In: West, Schache, Le Young
Out: Suckling, Gowers, Lloyd

bornadog
30-07-2020, 10:03 AM
Yes he does. It's real borderline on a fine or 1 week. The MRO have a very dim view on that sort of contact to the head - the only thing that might save him is low enough impact and a favourable medical report on Balta.

A free kick, that is all it should be. No damage down to anybody

Mofra
30-07-2020, 10:25 AM
A free kick, that is all it should be. No damage down to anybody
Never left the ground, tucked the arm in, no damage done.

Free kick, perhaps a reprimand.

Bulldog4life
30-07-2020, 11:47 AM
Vandermeer would be a bit stiff if he gets a week although he is a Dog so maybe it will be two weeks.
To me Balta made it look worse than it was in that he paused and then moved forwarded into Vandermeer who was stationary at the time of impact with his hands up.
Also there was a sling tackle in there but I can't remember who was involved, not by one of ours but one of theirs.

Riewoldt sling tackled one of our players. Not even a free.

Danjul
30-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Really looking forward to this game.

Last night I saw a handball chain involving 7 players in 25 m of ground that led to a turnover and a Richmond runaway.

Pretty confident that we can make it 8 (unless someone remembers what their feet are for).

Mofra
30-07-2020, 12:15 PM
[/B]

Riewoldt sling tackled one of our players. Not even a free.
JJ. Lifted him off the ground

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2020, 12:59 PM
We're shuffling deck chairs at this point.

I'm inclined to give a few players 3-4 games to see if they're worth keeping (Greene top of the list but even somebody like Khamis).

Sedat
30-07-2020, 01:35 PM
Has Brad Lynch completely disappeared? Clearly pace is a big problem and so is our forward set up. Would be nice to see Lynch get a run for a few games to see if he can actually play - he's pretty much disappeared since the R23 game against Richmond in 2018 where he looked very dangerous inside F50.

Looks like another significant list management blunder to give him a 2 year contract, only because North offered him a 3 year deal, and not play him even once in that time.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2020, 01:48 PM
Has Brad Lynch completely disappeared? Clearly pace is a big problem and so is our forward set up. Would be nice to see Lynch get a run for a few games to see if he can actually play - he's pretty much disappeared since the R23 game against Richmond in 2018 where he looked very dangerous inside F50.

Looks like another significant list management blunder to give him a 2 year contract, only because North offered him a 3 year deal, and not play him even once in that time.

Who is responsible for the contracts? Is it a combination of Power, Grant, Bevo?

Look, every club makes mistakes but some of ours have been horrendous (Roberts then barely played him, Trengove then barely played him, Lynch, R Smith, JJ's $$ etc).

azabob
30-07-2020, 02:05 PM
Who is responsible for the contracts? Is it a combination of Power, Grant, Bevo?

Look, every club makes mistakes but some of ours have been horrendous (Roberts then barely played him, Trengove then barely played him, Lynch, R Smith, JJ's $$ etc).

I think some of those calls where also made with JMAC in the hot seat.

But either way very valid points.

Ozza
30-07-2020, 02:07 PM
5-4. Crucial game.

When we were 4-3 going into the suns game I suggested I'd be happy enough with going 3-2 through this 5 game stretch so we need to beat 2 of Power/Lions/Crows to hit that target and be 7-5 after 12 and still be in the top 8 race. Our best is certainly good enough to beat Port, so am hoping we pick a team capable of doing it.

Out: Suckling, Trengove, Gowers
In: Hunter (hoping), R.Smith or Hayes, West.

Happy Days
30-07-2020, 02:37 PM

Like it. Had totally forgotten about Lynch and we are in sore need of his type.

bornadog
30-07-2020, 02:44 PM
5-4. Crucial game.

When we were 4-3 going into the suns game I suggested I'd be happy enough with going 3-2 through this 5 game stretch so we need to beat 2 of Power/Lions/Crows to hit that target and be 7-5 after 12 and still be in the top 8 race. Our best is certainly good enough to beat Port, so am hoping we pick a team capable of doing it.

Out: Suckling, Trengove, Gowers
In: Hunter (hoping), R.Smith or Hayes, West.

Who do we play on Charlie Dixon? He is in Good form and a big unit./ I am not confident Keath can play the monsters as we saw last night.

mjp
30-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Who do we play on Charlie Dixon? He is in Good form and a big unit./ I am not confident Keath can play the monsters as we saw last night.

Isn't Charlie susceptible to the temptations of a nice bottle of red? Maybe the defenders should pool their funds and send him a couple of the Barossa Valley's finest the night before the game.

I think he is going to take his share of marks. And the fact that so many chopping the arms free-kicks were 'missed' against the Saints last week means they will be 100% paid this week by the overly reactionary umpiring dept. Hoping he puts his right boot on his left foot is - alcohol poisoning aside - our best chance to restrict him.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-07-2020, 03:06 PM
Isn't Charlie susceptible to the temptations of a nice bottle of red? Maybe the defenders should pool their funds and send him a couple of the Barossa Valley's finest the night before the game.

I think he is going to take his share of marks. And the fact that so many chopping the arms free-kicks were 'missed' against the Saints last week means they will be 100% paid this week by the overly reactionary umpiring dept. Hoping he puts his right boot on his left foot is - alcohol poisoning aside - our best chance to restrict him.

Fortunately the Dees will cop most of the brunt when they play them tonight.

Ozza
30-07-2020, 05:26 PM

Reality is with the way Dixon is playing, if he gets good supply it doesn't matter who is playing on him, he will monster all comers.

Keath isn't suited to the monsters - but whether it is him or Cordy, they will need aerial support and pressure on the footy to make sure Dixon isn't getting good looks at it.

CarnTheScray
30-07-2020, 05:50 PM

Why do players like Gowers get a go every few games but Lynch, who looked scary at the end of 2018, hasn't gotten a game since? Why didn't they play him at all last year when we were in a form slump?

jazzadogs
30-07-2020, 07:20 PM
Why do players like Gowers get a go every few games but Lynch, who looked scary at the end of 2018, hasn't gotten a game since? Why didn't they play him at all last year when we were in a form slump?

Probably because his form and fitness didnt warrant it, and there were others ahead of him in that role.

Sedat
30-07-2020, 07:37 PM
Gowers had a better overall year in 2018 than Lynch. Unfortunately Gowers has regressed significantly since then, and last night will probably be the last time he plays senior AFL. His confidence is shot at this level and we are past folding on that particular hand.

As for Lynch since 2018, how would we know if he is tracking ok or training poorly? He's literally disappeared. So how on earth did we give him a 2 year contract on the main list? Surely a 1 year contract would have sufficed or we organise a trade with North who offered him a staggering 3 year contract. That is woeful list management, and sadly not unique at our club over the years. But seeing as we have him on the list and he is currently not injured, it would be nice to see one of the very few players on our list, with genuine pace and the flexibility to be able to play forward or back, to get a run in this compressed part of the season. We have a significant and obvious problem with leg speed.

I'd be happy to see Cavarra and Greene also get a run at some point - both have natural forward craft instincts, and god knows our F50 needs some of those types.

jeemak
30-07-2020, 07:50 PM
As a rookie upgrade was he entitled to two years?

G-Mo77
30-07-2020, 08:21 PM
As a rookie upgrade was he entitled to two years?

Yes. It should be the last year of his current contract. Don't think he's had any extensions.

And while we're on the rookie upgrades subject; Gardner would be also locked in for another season and finish up after 2021. Right?

Remi Moses
30-07-2020, 08:35 PM
I think we need to report a missing person
Brad Lynch
I forgot his Christian name

Remi Moses
30-07-2020, 08:36 PM
I think Sam Lloyd might be one of those players who had a point to prove but doesn’t fire a shot thereafter
Hope I’m wrong

bornadog
30-07-2020, 09:51 PM
As for Lynch since 2018, how would we know if he is tracking ok or training poorly? He's literally disappeared.

He played well in 2018 and looked like he had promise and he got a two year deal. I can't see anything wrong with that.

Not sure if you go to VFL games, but he had a very poor 2019 and didn't deserve a game. As for this year, well it's hard to break in with the only form line training and scratch matches. His contract ends this year, and most likely will be delisted.

bornadog
30-07-2020, 09:53 PM
Reality is with the way Dixon is playing, if he gets good supply it doesn't matter who is playing on him, he will monster all comers.

Keath isn't suited to the monsters - but whether it is him or Cordy, they will need aerial support and pressure on the footy to make sure Dixon isn't getting good looks at it.

Maybe Trengove stays in or Le Young to play on Dixon???

Mantis
30-07-2020, 10:28 PM
He played well in 2018 and looked like he had promise and he got a two year deal. I can't see anything wrong with that.

Not sure if you go to VFL games, but he had a very poor 2019 and didn't deserve a game. As for this year, well it's hard to break in with the only form line training and scratch matches. His contract ends this year, and most likely will be delisted.

We've played 36 players in 9 games, we are leading this stat in the entire competition and in front of Sydney who have an injury list as long as the Flemington straight.

It's actually pretty easy to get a game.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-07-2020, 10:36 PM
Port are thumping Melbourne. We are screwed next week no matter what changes Bevo makes.

Sedat
30-07-2020, 11:36 PM
I like Trengove on Dixon this week. There aren't too many gorillas in the game today but Dixon is definitely one of those, and we have no other viable option other than Trengove.

English on Ladhams is a pretty good match up for us, and if we can get on top in the middle we can create enough looks in our F50 - whether we take advantage of them is another story entirely.

bornadog
30-07-2020, 11:41 PM
We've played 36 players in 9 games, we are leading this stat in the entire competition and in front of Sydney who have an injury list as long as the Flemington straight.

It's actually pretty easy to get a game.

Lynch hasn't played a decent game since round 23, 2018.

Who knows how he is travelling

azabob
31-07-2020, 08:07 AM
Lynch hasn't played a decent game since round 23, 2018.

Who knows how he is travelling

He may have played well in the VFL but never got a call up.

bornadog
31-07-2020, 09:57 AM
He may have played well in the VFL but never got a call up.

If you are talking 2019 - he didn't play well in the VFL. That was my point.

Axe Man
31-07-2020, 11:34 AM

Trengove is a reasonable match but Lewis Young on Dixon? I predict a bloodbath.

Georgiades is a very impressive young player, will be interesting to see who was a better career between him and the guy we took 4 spots earlier in Flea (although different players).

KT31
31-07-2020, 12:04 PM
Trengove is a reasonable match but Lewis Young on Dixon? I predict a bloodbath.

Georgiades is a very impressive young player, will be interesting to see who was a better career between him and the guy we took 4 spots earlier in Flea (although different players).

Started well and looks the goods, hopefully he has a better mindset than his Dad did for us.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-07-2020, 06:01 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/786035?fbclid=IwAR1cC43gtdOQGCpo6BkawzGO4DcQoioY383-KdfjFbReO-mlZIl_-NRQUMA

Gun midfielder Josh Dunkley is in the mix to make an earlier-than-expected comeback, for Monday night’s huge clash against ladder-leader Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.

Both Dunkley and emerging forward Aaron Naughton are progressing ahead of schedule with their recovery from ankle syndesmosis injuries.

The Bulldogs will be forced to make at least one change this week, due to Matt Suckling’s hamstring injury.

And Dunkley’s return could be as soon as this week.

The 23-year-old – a member of last year’s All Australian squad of 40 – hasn’t played since suffering the injury in the dying seconds of the Bulldogs’ round three win against the GWS Giants.

“Josh still has to tick some boxes before he’s declared available,” medical services manager, Chris Bell, said.

“But at this stage we’re optimistic it’s going to be the round 10 (Port Adelaide) or round 11 (Brisbane Lions) clash.”

Naughton has taken another step forward with his recovery and is also likely to return in this block of fixtures, with a one-to-two week return timeframe.

“Aaron has resumed some football training and will continue to build continuity,” Bell said.

“We will determine his availability over the next couple of days. But at this stage, expect him to be not too far away.”

mjp
31-07-2020, 07:13 PM
So...based on the usual information cycle:

Naughton - 100% certain to play vs Port.
Dunks - we'll see him in a few weeks time.

:-)

The Pie Man
02-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Club confirmed on Twitter Dunkley will play tomorrow

Bulldog4life
02-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Dunks a certain in according to doggies twitter account.

angelopetraglia
02-08-2020, 11:00 AM
Dunks will be a welcome inclusion.

bornadog
02-08-2020, 11:05 AM
Dunks will be a welcome inclusion.

Would be nice if we can get Naughton back as well

bornadog
02-08-2020, 11:07 AM
What I would like to see, but won't happen

In Dunkley, Schache, West, Weightman

Out: Suckling, Gowers, Richards, Lipinski

GVGjr
02-08-2020, 12:33 PM
What I would like to see, but won't happen

In Dunkley, Schache, West, Weightman

Out: Suckling, Gowers, Richards, Lipinski

Why not? They seem reasonable suggestions

jeemak
02-08-2020, 12:54 PM
I think it would be a good week to bring Schache back in, given there's a bit of length in the ground and he and Bruce shouldn't have to play on top of each other.

bornadog
02-08-2020, 02:27 PM

Bevo will spring a surprise

EasternWest
02-08-2020, 02:42 PM

That's why.

bornadog
02-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Western Bulldogs and Gold Coast scratch match. Lachie Hunter left ground limping. Getting ankle strapped up and spray on it.

I guess he won't be playing tomorrow

Happy Days
02-08-2020, 03:43 PM
Western Bulldogs and Gold Coast scratch match. Lachie Hunter left ground limping. Getting ankle strapped up and spray on it.

I guess he won't be playing tomorrow

Why was he even playing in the scratch match?

The Adelaide Connection
02-08-2020, 04:03 PM
Why was he even playing in the scratch match?

I read that he went off, received treatment and then went back on. I can’t for the life of me find what article it was, was a random article that came up on FB.

bornadog
02-08-2020, 04:07 PM
I read that he went off, received treatment and then went back on. I can’t for the life of me find what article it was, was a random article that came up on FB.

I just checked and he did go back on again

Danjul
02-08-2020, 04:42 PM
I think it would be a good week to bring Schache back in, given there's a bit of length in the ground and he and Bruce shouldn't have to play on top of each other.
To be honest I don’t understand why Schache is out.

This year Bruce has had 6 disposals three times and 8 three times.

Schache had 11 in his first game, then sat on the bench for half a game and disappeared.

Doesn’t seem to get much of a run. He won’t be a high disposals player unless the ball is kicked well to him, but when he has it he is close to our best shot at goal.

GVGjr
02-08-2020, 04:55 PM

This year Bruce has had 6 disposals three times and 8 three times.

Schache had 11 in his first game, then sat on the bench for half a game and disappeared.

Doesn’t seem to get much of a run. He won’t be a high disposals player unless the ball is kicked well to him, but when he has it he is close to our best shot at goal.

I hate saying this but we just aren't consistent with our selections.. Is it form, team balance or a combination of not wanting to hand the media a headline about how disappointing Bruce has been this season or something else?
Schache was made to earn his spot and we gave up on him based on one bad game where the conditions clearly didn't suit him. Bruce has had just one good game this season and doesn't appear to be under the same scrutiny.

The Adelaide Connection
02-08-2020, 05:09 PM
The poster ‘Red WB’ (long rumoured to be Peter Gordon) just posted this on FB:

“Two familiar, key faces likely to return after a strong session today. Still some hurdles to get through tomorrow, however, it is looking optimistic. Stay tuned...”

Dunkley and ...?

Danjul
02-08-2020, 05:13 PM
I hate saying this but we just aren't consistent with our selections.. Is it form, team balance or a combination of not wanting to hand the media a headline about how disappointing Bruce has been this season or something else?
Schache was made to earn his spot and we gave up on him based on one bad game where the conditions clearly didn't suit him. Bruce has had just one good game this season and doesn't appear to be under the same scrutiny.
I feel sorry for Bruce. He has battled manfully against strong opposition, a lot of it wearing red,white and blue. He has let himself down with his kicking when beyond 35 metres, but that should be Schache’s domain.

bornadog
02-08-2020, 05:18 PM
The poster ‘Red WB’, long rumoured to be Peter Gordon, just posted this on FB:

“Two familiar, key faces likely to return after a strong session today. Still some hurdles to get through tomorrow, however, it is looking optimistic. Stay tuned...”

Dunkley and ...?

Will it be Hunter or Naughton?

Hunter did come back on for the scratch match, but didn't do a lot. I think he was just having a training run. Wouldn't surprise me if he did play.

bornadog
02-08-2020, 05:19 PM

He was concussed and missed last weeks game. Hopefully he comes back soon.

Danjul
02-08-2020, 05:20 PM

Hunter did come back on for the scratch match, but didn't do a lot. I think he was just having a training run. Wouldn't surprise me if he did play.Thanks.

Danjul
02-08-2020, 05:22 PM
He was concussed and missed last weeks game. Hopefully he comes back soon.
Thanks

comrade
02-08-2020, 05:25 PM
The poster ‘Red WB’ (long rumoured to be Peter Gordon) just posted this on FB:

Dunkley and ...?

Roarke Smith.

bornadog
02-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Roarke Smith.

or better still Ryan Gardner:D

The Adelaide Connection
02-08-2020, 05:41 PM

Hunter did come back on for the scratch match, but didn't do a lot. I think he was just having a training run. Wouldn't surprise me if he did play.

Naughton would be amazing. Port don’t have a tall defence. Their named team from last week didn’t have anyone in defence over 193cm (Tom Clurey). They obviously roll back Westoff (199cm) but Naughton and Bruce would give them much more of a headache than just Bruce.

azabob
02-08-2020, 06:15 PM
Naughton would be amazing. Port don’t have a tall defence. Their named team from last week didn’t have anyone in defence over 193cm (Tom Clurey). They obviously roll back Westoff (199cm) but Naughton and Bruce would give them much more of a headache than just Bruce.

Beveridge said Naughton most likely against lions or crows.

AutoFill
02-08-2020, 06:24 PM
Roarke Smith.
That’s who I thought of straight away��

DOG GOD
02-08-2020, 06:33 PM
Well we know it won’t be LEW Young coming in :)

azabob
02-08-2020, 07:22 PM
IN: Dunkley, Weightman, R.Smith
OUT: Suckling, Trengove, Gowers

bornadog
02-08-2020, 07:27 PM
IN: Dunkley, Weightman, R.Smith
OUT: Suckling, Trengove, Gowers

Comrade gets the prize

comrade
02-08-2020, 07:28 PM
Comrade gets the prize

Holy crap, I was only joking!

Remi Moses
02-08-2020, 07:34 PM
Hope Roarke goes well
Had his best game last year against port
I fear Dixon majorly

Remi Moses
02-08-2020, 07:34 PM
Great to have Dunkley back

G-Mo77
02-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Does anyone know what was the point of playing Trengove last week?

The Adelaide Connection
02-08-2020, 07:59 PM
Port lose Ebert to injury, which is a win to us. Although the ‘in’ is Boyd Woodcock, who is a player I hoped we’d take in the ‘18 draft. Was super impressed with him in the final series he played for North that year.

GVGjr
02-08-2020, 08:10 PM
B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Hayden Crozier
C: Jason Johannisen, Jack Macrae, Pat Lipinski
HF: Toby McLean, Marcus Bontempelli, Laitham Vandermeer
F: Mitch Wallis, Josh Bruce, Cody Weightman
Foll: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Josh Dunkley
Int: Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Sam Lloyd, Roarke Smith
Emer: Ben Cavarra, Billy Gowers, Fergus Greene, Jordon Sweet

IN: Josh Dunkley, Cody Weightman, Roarke Smith
OUT: Matt Suckling (hamstring), Jackson Trengove, Billy Gowers

jazzadogs
02-08-2020, 08:24 PM

No. He seemed to have no defined match-up or role last week, and seemed to have zero agility or pace. I would have been happy to see him play 80% ruck just to see how he held up, but that wasn't the case.

It all seems a bit bizarre.

HOSE B ROMERO
02-08-2020, 10:09 PM
At last we have the 3 blondes in the lineup; Bailey Smith, Cody Weightman and Roarke Smith. Should be eye catching.

Axe Man
02-08-2020, 10:24 PM
At last we have the 3 blondes in the lineup; Bailey Smith, Cody Weightman and Roarke Smith. Should be eye catching.

Tim English?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
02-08-2020, 11:18 PM
His hair is in a category of its own

bornadog
02-08-2020, 11:42 PM

No. He seemed to have no defined match-up or role last week, and seemed to have zero agility or pace. I would have been happy to see him play 80% ruck just to see how he held up, but that wasn't the case.

It all seems a bit bizarre.

He was a late inclusion because Richmond also had a late in with a ruckman

AutoFill
02-08-2020, 11:51 PM
It’s certainly a better 22 than last week, but still a bit baffling. I’m dreading same structure, same game plan, same result.

ratsmac
03-08-2020, 01:09 AM
I don't fear Roarke as much as I used to. He's grown on me a bit. I thought he was serviceable last year when he played. I'm a bit surprised this is his first game this year actually. What he brings to the team is effort. He's not gifted with Bont like skills(not many are) but he'll bring 100% effort and goes in pretty hard.

Dunks is a welcome face back in the team. He's been missed with his tackling pressure around the packs. We wouldn't have won even with Dunks last week but Richmond wouldn't have got as much easy ball going their way with Dunkley around. Libba, Bont and Smith will be very happy he's back aswell so he can do some heavy lifting.

Weightman is an exciting prospect and I hope he brings that excitement with him again.

Its going to be a tough ask against Port but if we bring our best we can beat them for sure. We just need to hurt Dixon.

azabob
03-08-2020, 08:37 AM
B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Hayden Crozier
C: Jason Johannisen, Jack Macrae, Pat Lipinski
HF: Toby McLean, Marcus Bontempelli, Laitham Vandermeer
F: Mitch Wallis, Josh Bruce, Cody Weightman
Foll: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Josh Dunkley
Int: Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Sam Lloyd, Roarke Smith
Emer: Ben Cavarra, Billy Gowers, Fergus Greene, Jordon Sweet

IN: Josh Dunkley, Cody Weightman, Roarke Smith
OUT: Matt Suckling (hamstring), Jackson Trengove, Billy Gowers

On paper the defensive back six look strong, however as always Wood and Crozier will need to provide aerial support to limit the impact of Dixon. Our one on one ability against the likes of Dixon, Kennedy, Hawkins, Cameron, Lynch etc is still a major concern.

The midfield brigade looks OK, maybe a little slow. With our speed coming from a non-traditional wingman in Johannisen. Pace support will come from Bailey Smith. Dunkely returning to the side is huge, but I'm not expecting a typical Dunkley game.

The forward line is definitely our weakness (shock horror). It is made up of a mismatch of players. Bontempelli top 5 midfielders in the game playing as CHF, McLean who by no one's standards is travelling well, Vandermeer is playing the high forward role and using his running ability to get on the end of transition plays - hopefully the wingman of the future we are calling out for.

Wallis has been brilliant this season, his way to change and adapt to what the team needs has been nothing short of extraordinary. Maybe top 5 in our B&F currently - however we cannot overlook his shortcomings in the role he is playing, namely his speed. Weightman hopefully can complement Wallis, but from my limited viewing of Weightman he is more of a lead and mark forward than a traditional quick defensive forward.

Opinions on this board seem divided on Bruce, my expectations were for Bruce to compete and average 1.5- 2 goals per game. I do wonder is it the club or him? I tend to think its a bit of both. He needs to be the number 2 forward and he is obviously missing Naughton.

The interchange is not flush with stars (other than Bailey Smith) so hopefully they understand and play their role accordingly.

Our midfield and forwards desperately need to find the connection between the two parts of the ground and apply defensive pressure when it is their turn.

Hopefully our boys are on tonight and can do the basics such as hold our structure, apply defensive pressure and support your teammate when required.

Danjul
03-08-2020, 10:15 AM
On paper the defensive back six look strong, however as always Wood and Crozier will need to provide aerial support to limit the impact of Dixon. Our one on one ability against the likes of Dixon, Kennedy, Hawkins, Cameron, Lynch etc is still a major concern.

Opinions on this board seem divided on Bruce, my expectations were for Bruce to compete and average 1.5- 2 goals per game. I do wonder is it the club or him? I tend to think its a bit of both. He needs to be the number 2 forward and he is obviously missing Naughton.

The old saying ‘horses for courses ‘ comes to mind when I read the first point here. The back six are good, but short. Dixon is 200cm and 105kg. None of our six are one on one possibilities. Does Port exploit that weakness. If so, Do we counter their advantage by having 4 of the backmen jump against him. That didn’t work out well last week because it leaves opposition crumbers to hurt us.

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

on the second point, Bruce kicked goals when Naughton was absent . He worked well with Schache who played well as an effective decoy and got some goals himself. I think the team needs Naughton, Bruce needs someone who makes the opposing players think twice about loading up on him. It wouldn’t hurt to tell our guys to stop kicking it over his head. (Maybe paint a target on his jumper)

Mantis
03-08-2020, 11:31 AM

I'm not so sure on that.

Keath - looks to struggle on the gorillas. Has had a very good year otherwise.
Cordy - is under-sized as a key defender and is often caught out of position on fast breaks resulting in easy shots on goal to his opponent.
Crozier - great interceptor, but is he a good distributor by foot?
Wood - played one decent game all year, and that might be extended to a couple of years. His ability to distribute the ball effectively is highly questionable.
Williams - having a good year, but as we saw last week can't play as the 3rd tall.
JJ - struggles to have an influence every week. Extremely important that he does and he is one of the few players in our team that breaks the game open with angles & pace.
Daniel - has been very good.

The midfield brigade looks OK, maybe a little slow. With our speed coming from a non-traditional wingman in Johannisen. Pace support will come from Bailey Smith. Dunkely returning to the side is huge, but I'm not expecting a typical Dunkley game.

Very slow and what's our POD through the middle?

The forward line is definitely our weakness (shock horror). It is made up of a mismatch of players. Bontempelli top 5 midfielders in the game playing as CHF, McLean who by no one's standards is travelling well, Vandermeer is playing the high forward role and using his running ability to get on the end of transition plays - hopefully the wingman of the future we are calling out for.

Wallis has been brilliant this season, his way to change and adapt to what the team needs has been nothing short of extraordinary. Maybe top 5 in our B&F currently - however we cannot overlook his shortcomings in the role he is playing, namely his speed. Weightman hopefully can complement Wallis, but from my limited viewing of Weightman he is more of a lead and mark forward than a traditional quick defensive forward.

Can't agree that Wallis has been brilliant... he's been serviceable with his steady finishing a bonus in a team that struggles in that area, but he's such a limited player these days. Maybe he would be better with other players around him, but his lack of pace/ mobility sticks out in an otherwise slow forward line, but his output has been more than others which explains how bad they've been.

Bruce hasn't been helped by the lack of support in the aerial stakes. A healthy Naughton would make his job much easier.

Mofra
03-08-2020, 11:53 AM
Interesting that Weightman gets a chance ahead of Cavarra.
I love Flea's energy but I'm just not sold on him being ready for AFL football yet.

McLean, Richards and Lloyd need to do something proactive, anything.
HF is a dead zone for making the play, but someone needs to spark the F50 into action. Vandermeer is a blueprint, he's raw but by god he has a go.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2020, 12:41 PM
I love Flea's energy but I'm just not sold on him being ready for AFL football yet.

HF is a dead zone for making the play, but someone needs to spark the F50 into action. Vandermeer is a blueprint, he's raw but by god he has a go.

Agree with this.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Cav in replace of Lloyd. Having both Weightman and Cav might give us some needed energy when the ball hits the ground.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-08-2020, 12:44 PM
Tim English?

Wallis?

Happy Days
03-08-2020, 12:47 PM
Agree with this.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Cav in replace of Lloyd. Having both Weightman and Cav might give us some needed energy when the ball hits the ground.

Gotta say I haven't been impressed with Cav in the limited minutes I've seen. He doesn't have a great turn of speed and seems to really not enjoy the physical side of the game, which is the opposite of what our forward line needs. I can definitely understand Weightman getting picked ahead of him and don't think he presents an upgrade on Lloyd anywhere.

Axe Man
03-08-2020, 01:01 PM
Wallis?

True. And then there are the peroxide jobs from time to time - Caleb (although it's hidden), JJ, Suckling. We are starting to look like the Swedish national football team.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2020, 01:22 PM
Gotta say I haven't been impressed with Cav in the limited minutes I've seen. He doesn't have a great turn of speed and seems to really not enjoy the physical side of the game, which is the opposite of what our forward line needs. I can definitely understand Weightman getting picked ahead of him and don't think he presents an upgrade on Lloyd anywhere.

I don't really disagree, more that I think our current set-up is a proven failure and I don't really rate Lloyd (prefer Wallis at the moment). Cav didn't look great in R1 but I'd like to get a look at him with Weightman for 2-3 weeks.**

** As part of this, I'd also like us to play Schache or Young (until Naughty returns).

Happy Days
03-08-2020, 01:40 PM
I don't really disagree, more that I think our current set-up is a proven failure and I don't really rate Lloyd (prefer Wallis at the moment). Cav didn't look great in R1 but I'd like to get a look at him with Weightman for 2-3 weeks.**

** As part of this, I'd also like us to play Schache or Young (until Naughty returns).

Lloyd is doing bugger all with the ball and isn't kicking goals and would ideally be looking at getting dropped, but he's also the only player in the forward six making a sustained and consistent effort to provide pressure on the ball leaving forward 50. Feel like dropping him now is sending a terrible message.

The Underdog
03-08-2020, 01:48 PM

Agree on Weightman. He was a mile off in the Gold Coast game. Cavarra certainly adds ground level pace which we need and Weightman is a bit closer to Lloyd and Wallis in playing style.
I would have probably played West before Weightman too, but I’m a big believer in him and his ability to play a role. I’d be getting games into him as quickly as possible.

azabob
03-08-2020, 01:59 PM
Do we see Weightman as a potential Dickson replacement?

Massive ask.

Did he show those tricks in under age footy?

The Pie Man
03-08-2020, 02:09 PM

Partially agree with this - I think he has speed, and is neat with the footy, but from what I've seen at Footscray games, he didn't seem to enjoy it overly physical. Williamstown in particular kinda bullied him, and from what I could see, he really went into his shell.

I'd love him to make it, we need pressure forwards 3 years ago.

Bullies
03-08-2020, 04:05 PM
Lloyd is doing bugger all with the ball and isn't kicking goals and would ideally be looking at getting dropped, but he's also the only player in the forward six making a sustained and consistent effort to provide pressure on the ball leaving forward 50. Feel like dropping him now is sending a terrible message. I think Lloyd is very lucky but I couldn't disagree more about the pressure. He applies absolute zilch and when the side is not going well neither is he.

Mofra
03-08-2020, 04:32 PM

Massive ask.

He's not a "replacement" in the sense he doesn't really play like any current senior player we have.
Think an early, full-time forward Jamie Elliot for the type of player he is. Small, crafty but not a dedicated crumber really.

He does generate his own energy which is a big plus this season, moreso than any other in recent history. Fingers crossed for the kid but to the naked eye he needs a couple of pre-seasons, which is no slight on a teenager playing a man's game. It's to be expected.

Happy Days
03-08-2020, 05:10 PM
I think Lloyd is very lucky but I couldn't disagree more about the pressure. He applies absolute zilch and when the side is not going well neither is he.

Stats show him as clearly our best pressure forward. No one else is even close.

1eyedog
03-08-2020, 05:19 PM

Massive ask.

Great mark for his size and has played forward a fair bit so, yeah, we drafted him as small forward who can play medium because of his marking.

Stats show him as clearly our best pressure forward. No one else is even close.

I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Happy Days
03-08-2020, 05:31 PM
I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

It's a disaster.

AutoFill
03-08-2020, 10:01 PM
It’s certainly a better 22 than last week, but still a bit baffling. I’m dreading same structure, same game plan, same result.
Sometimes I’d just prefer to be wrong..