PDA

View Full Version : Holding The Ball Rule

Scraggers
24-07-2020, 09:58 PM
Warning ... vent coming :mad:

I am so sick and tired of the latest interpretation of the Holding The Ball rule.

Now, you can be tackled as soon as you take possession of the ball without any prior opportunity, thrown to the ground, jumped on so it’s near impossible to move and get done for holding the ball because you didn’t make a realistic attempt. This is (insert your preferred swear word here) ridiculous.

I understand that the rule has always benefited the second person to the ball, but it is now making the game even more scrappier. No one is willing to take possession of the ball. Therefore play-makers like Libba (the in and under players) are getting pinged consistently as the opposition waits for him to touch the ball and jumps on him.

Something needs to change; I’m really having trouble watching a full game.

Rant over ... come at me. Tell me I’m wrong.

josie
24-07-2020, 10:48 PM
Totally fair rant. And the umps are so confused they change the interpretation within a game let alone from week to week. Ridiculous knee jerk reaction by AFL. If AFL review each match the last qtr of last night’s game is evidence of the confusion they have caused.

MrMahatma
24-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Watching the last qtr of this week again. (Was at the game... Loving the dogs in SE Qld!).

Some insane HTB calls on Porter, Richards... just madness.

bornadog
25-07-2020, 12:01 AM
Whether we like the rule prior opportunity, or not, it is still a rule and AFL operations have gone too far with changing it. The poor old umps are not sure, not being consistent and the players are confused with the interpretation.

Bulldog Joe
25-07-2020, 10:33 AM
I am on the other side in this, as I really like the intent of the supposed interpretation.

However the inconsistency is driving me insane.

I actually think they are playing some they should not be, but they are still letting a lot go that could easily be penalised.

The one against Libba in the third was just wrong.

Happy Days
25-07-2020, 10:48 AM
I am on the other side in this, as I really like the intent of the supposed interpretation.

However the inconsistency is driving me insane.

I actually think they are playing some they should not be, but they are still letting a lot go that could easily be penalised.

The one against Libba in the third was just wrong.

Agree with this. There is clearly some hesitancy by some of the umpires to overpenalise, which is fair, but very frustrating when others in the same game are willing to adopt it (particularly as they typically adjudicate opposite end 50s).

ratsmac
25-07-2020, 10:51 AM
The umpires seem to be so HTB conscious that they aren't seeing what is actually happening. I've seen numerous poorly executed tackles across all games not just ours, that were either too high or an obvious in the back that is overlooked because they are so eager (or instructed) to pay HTB. It's actually ruining good games of football

Bulldog Joe
25-07-2020, 11:29 AM
The umpires seem to be so HTB conscious that they aren't seeing what is actually happening. I've seen numerous poorly executed tackles across all games not just ours, that were either too high or an obvious in the back that is overlooked because they are so eager (or instructed) to pay HTB. It's actually ruining good games of football

They are certainly not penalising in the back enough.

The first thing they need to adjudicate is the tackle. There should never be a reward for an unfair tackle.

bornadog
25-07-2020, 11:52 AM
They are certainly not penalising in the back enough.

The first thing they need to adjudicate is the tackle. There should never be a reward for an unfair tackle.

That tackle on Bont the other night when the player jumped on his back and Bont tried to shrug him off, and the GC player then tripped him up was just ridiclous. The tackle was incorrect, but Bont got done for HTB.

Bulldog Joe
25-07-2020, 12:01 PM
That tackle on Bont the other night when the player jumped on his back and Bont tried to shrug him off, and the GC player then tripped him up was just ridiclous. The tackle was incorrect, but Bont got done for HTB.

What was wrong with that tackle?

Apart from it being initially high, initially in the back and finally becoming a trip:confused:

AshMac
26-07-2020, 08:49 AM
It seems the new rule makes it fine for a player to drop the ball or dispose of it incorrectly - anything for it to spill free and keep moving and penalises guys for actually having a crack.

comrade
26-07-2020, 08:56 AM
It seems the new rule makes it fine for a player to drop the ball or dispose of it incorrectly - anything for it to spill free and keep moving and penalises guys for actually having a crack.

Yeah, until they pull out one for incorrect disposal.

It's an effing mess.

azabob
26-07-2020, 10:56 AM
But Steve Hocking is adamant that neither Clarkson or Dangerfield etc have influenced the rule interpretation...

Bulldog4life
26-07-2020, 11:27 AM
The one I hate is player A grabs the pill, player B tackles him to the ground then a team mate of player A tackles player B. Bizarre.

ratsmac
26-07-2020, 04:32 PM
To go with all the calamity around this HTB, I've noticed that team mates are handing each other the ball in packs. It is sometimes snatched out of their hands but its my understanding that you can only kick, handball or tap the ball to a team mate. Handing the ball is considered a throw. All this is allowed because the umpires are too HTB focused

Topdog
26-07-2020, 08:21 PM
Just do away with the prior opportunity rubbish. If you get tackled and dont get away a legal disposal it is holding the ball.

Rocket Science
26-07-2020, 09:38 PM
A new round, a new tweaking of the settings on what is and isn't holding the ball.

Never change, AFEL.

WBFC4FFC
27-07-2020, 05:30 PM
A new round, a new tweaking of the settings on what is and isn't holding the ball.

Never change, AFEL.

The one where the ball is pinned into the ball winner, who has no had prior, by one or two tacklers but is still judged to HTB because he was not doing a proper impersonation of an epileptic fit! That's the one that grinds my gears.

Whilst I'm at it, shoving the opponent who has given a free away or been market on has to be stamped out. Just pay a free-kick and that will stop in a heartbeat.

AshMac
27-07-2020, 07:27 PM
Yeah, until they pull out one for incorrect disposal.

It's an effing mess.

the really weird thing for me is they seem to be letting guys go for longer when they drag the ball back in. Usually spills out eventually.