PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Bailey Williams- 50 Games

Testekill
28-07-2020, 12:42 PM
Since we've talked about Macrae and Daniel reaching their milestones, Bailey Williams will play his 50th game tomorrow if selected. Can't see why he wouldn't be because he's been in damn fine form as part of our defensive unit.

So let's the celebrate the young man finally coming into his own after a poor last few years

GVGjr
28-07-2020, 01:00 PM
Since we've talked about Macrae and Daniel reaching their milestones, Bailey Williams will play his 50th game tomorrow if selected. Can't see why he wouldn't be because he's been in damn fine form as part of our defensive unit.

So let's the celebrate the young man finally coming into his own after a poor last few years

Nice pick up, I wonder if we have ever had a 50, 100 and 150 games type milestones on the same round before?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-07-2020, 01:05 PM
He's had a strong rebound year after a really poor 2019.

IIRC he actually finished 2018 pretty strongly in the midfield, but it seems clear now his best position is off half back.

Mofra
28-07-2020, 01:16 PM
He's been in career best form and compliments our rebounding game-style really well.

Well done Bailey

Eastdog
28-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Congrats Bailey Williams.

Been in great form this year in that back line.

GVGjr
28-07-2020, 01:43 PM
He's had a strong rebound year after a really poor 2019.

IIRC he actually finished 2018 pretty strongly in the midfield, but it seems clear now his best position is off half back.

Even if you allow for shorter quarters this year he's got roughly the same average of possessions this year compared to his 2019 performances.
I think part of the problem for him in 2019 was that he trained with the midfielders but was moved back and the MC were pretty savage on him. He played round 1, 5 and 10 before getting a better run with it in the 2nd half of the season but ultimetly not being selected from round 18 onwards when I think he was injured.
He actually tackled more in 2019 as well

I'm not sure why people think he has improved a lot this year because his averages are very similar.
What he has had this year is continuity. Last year he was the whipping boy this year there is just a lot more faith in him

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Even if you allow for shorter quarters this year he's got roughly the same average of possessions this year compared to his 2019 performances.
I think part of the problem for him in 2019 was that he trained with the midfielders but was moved back and the MC were pretty savage on him. He played round 1, 5 and 10 before getting a better run with it in the 2nd half of the season but ultimetly not being selected from round 18 onwards when I think he was injured.

I'm not sure why people think he has improved a lot this year because his averages are very similar.
What he has had this year is continuity. Last year he was the whipping boy this year there is just a lot more faith in him

I think its a fair assessment that whilst his numbers may not have changed, his effectiveness, decision making and reliability have improved markedly.

GVGjr
28-07-2020, 01:51 PM
I think its a fair assessment that whilst his numbers may not have changed, his effectiveness, decision making and reliability have improved markedly.

For sure, he's improved in a few areas but not necessarily on the stats sheet

He's had to contend in a backline with two similar sized players and I think he was squeezed out a bit last year
This year it's been working better

Hopefully he will get to the 100 game mark a bit quicker

EasternWest
28-07-2020, 02:48 PM
Just looks like the penny's dropped and he's made it. Has been very good this year.

bornadog
28-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Just looks like the penny's dropped and he's made it. Has been very good this year.

Agree, he has worked out he needs to train hard, and play with effort and intensity. He has been very consistent this year.

kruder
28-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Bloody good footballer.

We are very fortunate that he signed a 2-year deal late last year I thought he was gone, to be honest.

azabob
28-07-2020, 07:40 PM

For me he has dramatically improved his 1%, keeping his feet in the contest, or spoiling the opposition forward etc. No idea if the stats back it up.

Perfect example was against the suns in they dying stages where he kept his feet (under extreme pressure) and kept the ball moving forward to the wing.

Prior to this year he wouldn've gone to ground.

Well done Bailey, hopefully remains at the club for a long time to come.

1eyedog
28-07-2020, 08:29 PM

Yeah it's his moments for mine. He has performed very well under pressure a number of times and he's making good decisions when taking the game on. Has also be very solid in the air as required. Certainly repaying that faith.

AshMac
28-07-2020, 11:57 PM
Love him! Ever since his first side step in his first match he has oozed composure and elite agility with ball in hand. Thoughts form has yoyo'd hopefully he is heading for pro lounged consistency. Easily one if our most important players thus year on form

jeemak
29-07-2020, 03:07 AM
For sure, he's improved in a few areas but not necessarily on the stats sheet

He's had to contend in a backline with two similar sized players and I think he was squeezed out a bit last year
This year it's been working better

Hopefully he will get to the 100 game mark a bit quicker

Have you taken the twenty per cent discount for reduced game time into account for the similar averages?

On face value he seems to be more involved more often.

GVGjr
29-07-2020, 09:46 AM

Have you taken the twenty per cent discount for reduced game time into account for the similar averages?

On face value he seems to be more involved more often.

Yes, my original response made that allowance
The point I'm trying to make is that it's not like he has picked up 4 or 5 more possessions this year compared to last. The differences between the two years might be a bit more subtle than that.

I'm happy to see him playing good football and just felt that last year he was dropped all too quickly in the first half of the year
He wasn't as bad in 2019 as some might think

azabob
29-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Yes, my original response made that allowance
The point I'm trying to make is that it's not like he has picked up 4 or 5 more possessions this year compared to last. The differences between the two years might be a bit more subtle than that.

I'm happy to see him playing good football and just felt that last year he was dropped all too quickly in the first half of the year
He wasn't as bad in 2019 as some might think

I think most WOOF members were happy with is performances and were disappointed with the MC for his in and out approach (which you pointed out). Similar in the way McLean is being treated at the moment.

bornadog
29-07-2020, 10:39 AM
I think most WOOF members were happy with is performances and were disappointed with the MC for his in and out approach (which you pointed out). Similar in the way McLean is being treated at the moment.

Not sure what you mean by Mclean treated in a similar way. To me it has all to do with form, and performing the role the coach sets out.

In 2019, Williams played in round 1 and round 5 and did not play well. He then returned in round 10 and played through to round 17 before out due to injury, and then didn't play a senior game again.

GVGjr
29-07-2020, 02:38 PM
Not sure what you mean by Mclean treated in a similar way. To me it has all to do with form, and performing the role the coach sets out.

In 2019, Williams played in round 1 and round 5 and did not play well. He then returned in round 10 and played through to round 17 before out due to injury, and then didn't play a senior game again.

But this is where it gets a bit difficult to understand, he trained with the midfielders in 2019 and was pushed into the back half. After one bad game in both round 1 and 5 he was dropped. Clearly the MC didn't have the faith in him to work through the leaner patches.

He's a player that we might need to use in the midfield in the compressed season and I'm glad he's seen as one of our improved players

Murphy'sLore
29-07-2020, 02:59 PM
Huzzah! Congratulations, Bailey. Really glad we persevered with him and it's great to see him playing so well.

bornadog
29-07-2020, 03:01 PM
But this is where it gets a bit difficult to understand, he trained with the midfielders in 2019 and was pushed into the back half. After one bad game in both round 1 and 5 he was dropped. Clearly the MC didn't have the faith in him to work through the leaner patches.

He's a player that we might need to use in the midfield in the compressed season and I'm glad he's seen as one of our improved players

Personally, I don't care if he trained with the mids, the rucks or with whoever. It is great we are trying out players in different positions, and if it doesn't work, we are brave enough to say we made a mistake. Can't see any issue with this.

Clearly Williams couldn't fit into the roles we asked him to perform last year, so he was dropped and came back in and played well. As mentioned before, he also had some off field issues which didn't help him from rounds 5 to 9

This year he has cemented a role as it was there for the taking with Wood, out with an injury, Suckling not fit after covid-19 break and Duryea injured. He is now playing some great footy and clearly best 22.

GVGjr
29-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Personally, I don't care if he trained with the mids, the rucks or with whoever. It is great we are trying out players in different positions, and if it doesn't work, we are brave enough to say we made a mistake. Can't see any issue with this.

Clearly Williams couldn't fit into the roles we asked him to perform last year, so he was dropped and came back in and played well. As mentioned before, he also had some off field issues which didn't help him from rounds 5 to 9

This year he has cemented a role as it was there for the taking with Wood, out with an injury, Suckling not fit after covid-19 break and Duryea injured. He is now playing some great footy and clearly best 22.

Help me out with the clearly part? Why was he then a better than solid player in the 2nd half of the season given it was the same role he had at the start of the season? From my perspective we didn't demonstrate the faith with Williams like we have with the likes of Richards and Bruce who are both working through some leaner periods at the moment and aren't on the business end of an over reaction.

Williams best last year was pretty good and around par with this years efforts. This year he has progressed a bit further because he's just been able to gel with his fellow defenders.

I do think our MC should have been a bit more understanding and patient given they changed focus with him so late in the pre-season. Continuity plays it part with many players. Getting an understanding of your other defenders might take a couple of games for some players.

bornadog
29-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Williams best last year was pretty good and around par with this years efforts.

Last year rounds rounds 10 to 17 played very well.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-07-2020, 07:46 PM
Has become very cool down back. Can play a number of roles and i can see him getting to at least 150. Living with Caleb would have rubbed off well.

swampdau
29-07-2020, 10:23 PM
what were the "off field issues which didn't help him from rounds 5 to 9"?

bornadog
29-07-2020, 10:39 PM
22 Disposals, played pretty well tonight