PDA

View Full Version : What's up with The Bont?

1eyedog
29-07-2020, 11:33 PM
He's a shell of the player he was.

Am I reading this wrong? Is he doing other things? More heavy lifting than last year? He's had good moments this year but he is way down on form.

Is it from more attention? The burden of Captaincy? His team mates not helping him during the game? Something else?

Grantysghost
29-07-2020, 11:44 PM
It's a great question, I've had to clean my glasses a few times of late to check whether it was actually him. I recall the pre-season game against North in the "before times" where he was a class above and fully expected him to go from strength to strength with the captaincy.
So far he has struggled this year for the most part, with moments of the old but really seems to not be running on all cylinders.
Not sure I've ever seen him get caught in possession so often, I wonder with the added responsibility if he has stopped playing on instinct.
I think he must be carrying an injury, coupled with the extra burden of the captaincy that might explain it ? It was so obvious tonight we missed his full output.

Having said that the bar is set very high.

bornadog
29-07-2020, 11:45 PM
For a midfielder you have to be a bit more agile and I reckon he has beefed up too much. He needs to trim down so he can move more freely.

Sedat
30-07-2020, 12:17 AM
In terms of impact on the result, the contrast between Bont and Dusty was telling tonight. And that is rarified air that Bont should be compared against. He is frankly nowhere near the level of the best in the comp so far in 2020. He's not even our best midfielder this year - Smith and Macrae are ahead of him, perhaps even Libba.

SonofScray
30-07-2020, 01:26 AM
His ceiling has dropped a bit due to the recurring hip issue IMO. Looks increasingly hampered by it, on and off since 2017.

That he has still been able to do what he has is special, but he just doesn't look like he is moving well enough to have that real dominant influence under duress.

He still has these incredible, but subtle, moments in game when the class shines through & is extremely capable of reproducing those moments. I want him to light a fire underneath us though, a little bit more free wheeling, star power stuff would be nice.

azabob
30-07-2020, 08:05 AM
His ceiling has dropped a bit due to the recurring hip issue IMO. Looks increasingly hampered by it, on and off since 2017.

That he has still been able to do what he has is special, but he just doesn't look like he is moving well enough to have that real dominant influence under duress.

He still has these incredible, but subtle, moments in game when the class shines through & is extremely capable of reproducing those moments. I want him to light a fire underneath us though, a little bit more free wheeling, star power stuff would be nice.

More outside than inside? Yeah, I could live with that.

GVGjr
30-07-2020, 09:06 AM
For a midfielder you have to be a bit more agile and I reckon he has beefed up too much. He needs to trim down so he can move more freely.

So you think it's just his weight that is the issue? If he were to lose some weight how many KG would help him move more freely?

It will be interesting to see what roles we use him in over the next few games

SonofScray
30-07-2020, 10:59 AM
An extra note. H is being mauled off the ball and getting very little support from his team mates or the umpires. Not in a nasty way, like how GWS and Norf tried to, but arms wrapped around him, two men on him at the bounce most times. He is being forced to the wrong side of the contest.

The other part of the hip issue is that it's changing how he manages the low ball. He used to swoop in and have sublime balance, pirouetting through the congestion after reaching down with those octopus limbs. He isn't getting back up very well, looks off balance and is going to ground more often.

Mofra
30-07-2020, 11:06 AM
Clearly hampered by his hip BUT... I have liked his overhead marking this year.

His goalkicking is terrible but hsi inside 50 entries are still excellent. I'd play him high forward for much greater stretches of the game, let him jump at the ball and become that inside 50 connection player which we so desperately lack.
Smith is locked in as a first rotation mid with Macrae and Libba, and we know Bont has synergy with Dunkley so Bont can be in the second rotation with Dunks when Dunkley returns.

Happy Days
30-07-2020, 11:10 AM
If his hip is too sore to play in the midfield then give him some time off. He's reminding me of "prime" Lindsay Thomas at North as a forward, where he is good enough to generate multiple chances at goal and dominant enough to demand the ball, but cannot finish even the simplest of chances to the point that the position is untenable.

azabob
30-07-2020, 11:20 AM
An extra note. H is being mauled off the ball and getting very little support from his team mates or the umpires. Not in a nasty way, like how GWS and Norf tried to, but arms wrapped around him, two men on him at the bounce most times. He is being forced to the wrong side of the contest.

The other part of the hip issue is that it's changing how he manages the low ball. He used to swoop in and have sublime balance, pirouetting through the congestion after reaching down with those octopus limbs. He isn't getting back up very well, looks off balance and is going to ground more often.

Craig Jennings made an interesting call yesterday - he pointed out the same as you, Bontempelli is getting double teamed at throw ups around the ground - to stop this should we use Bontempelli as our around the ground ruckman and have English push forward?

Ozza
30-07-2020, 11:30 AM
One thing I have noticed this year, that hasn't been the case in previous years, is his being in the top couple of players on the ground for KM's covered most weeks (certainly in those where he hasn't had a decent spell on the bench once we had the result decided).
The AFL site only shows the top 5 on the ground and whilst Bont has always been an ok runner - he didn't really need to be putting up km's close to say, Lachie Hunter, to have a big influence on the game.

This might be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5, but is there a possibility that with the burden of captaincy - Bont is trying to do too much and get to too many contests - and that is impacting the quality side of his game?

The comparison with Dusty is an interesting one. It has always been an accepted part of Dusty's game, that he doesn't really need to defend because other role players do this for him and he can all out attack. I'm not suggesting Bont should NOT defend....but is there a possibility he is using up too many petrol tickets trying to do it all (which happened in 2018 with Libba out I thought), and losing some of that offensive strength?

Bulldog4life
30-07-2020, 11:55 AM
I would like Bont to learn how to banana kick/ check side kick for goals for those shots for goal close in. Never seen him do one. Nothing to lose.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-07-2020, 12:04 PM

Absoultely. He goes to ground so easily lately. There was a moment last night where he fell over off balance through nothing else but his own momentum.

SonofScray
10-08-2020, 01:55 PM
Watched the replay.

Took ages to get up after one contest late in the game. Grabbing at his hip at the front frequently. Went to ground a few times, real desperate footy which is a credit to him, but also an adjustment he is making because the power/balance just isn't there for him to compete how he wants.

It's a real worry. Even if his form is picking up.

bornadog
10-08-2020, 03:42 PM
Watched the replay.

Took ages to get up after one contest late in the game. Grabbing at his hip at the front frequently. Went to ground a few times, real desperate footy which is a credit to him, but also an adjustment he is making because the power/balance just isn't there for him to compete how he wants.

It's a real worry. Even if his form is picking up.

Such a Champ, tried his guts out to get us over the line. 30 Disposals is pretty good and if he does have a niggle, 30 is remarkable.

Axe Man
10-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Such a Champ, tried his guts out to get us over the line. 30 Disposals is pretty good and if he does have a niggle, 30 is remarkable.

His ball use was much better too. Macrae and Bont were immense, but after them we fell away dramatically, particularly in the midfield.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-08-2020, 04:08 PM
His last couple of weeks have been much better. Sadly just hasn't had much help.

SonofScray
12-08-2020, 01:07 AM

Absolutely, even hampered he is still superb. I am not intending to knock the Bont at all, rather highlight a worry about him playing hurt and credit him with his form under what I believe is significant duress.

It's more than a niggle I reckon. He had that surgery in 2017 I think? Has had a few stretches where it's looked like the hip has been problematic.

Just really want to see him moving freely, playing at his best for a long time. He is a generational talent.

Sedat
12-08-2020, 02:08 AM
Bont has had an ordinary (by his standards) season but he has been excellent in the last couple of weeks. I hope that consistent output can continue for the remainder of the season.

Grantysghost
12-08-2020, 09:04 AM
I don’t for a second think he’s not the best I’ve seen since Grant, previously Hawkins. My concern is this season he is blending in as another workhorse type midfielder rather than that game changer, “the difference” he has been in the past (see PA game last season and many others I can’t remember). I do think the opposition are putting more time into him this season so it’s maybe part that, the hip and an irrational conclusion based on nothing in particular, and my fine fellow woofers will say I’ve got nothing to worry about! :cool:
Starting to look better last couple of weeks.

Ozza
12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
I highlighted earlier in the thread about how via the player tracking info on the AFL website, that his kilometres are way up there. And how in previous seasons, he was seldom in the top players on the ground for KM's covered - inferring that perhaps the workrate both ways was hurting his ability to be really impactful and making him the more 'workhorse' midfielder that GrantysGhost suggests.

Not sure if there is anything to it - but against Brisbane he covered 0.9km more than any player from either team. V Port he wasn't in the top 5 (probably owing to being kept out of the game deep forward for the entire 3rd quarter where we lost the game), and against Richmond only Richards out-ran him from a Bulldogs perspective.

Axe Man
12-08-2020, 11:20 AM
I highlighted earlier in the thread about how via the player tracking info on the AFL website, that his kilometres are way up there. And how in previous seasons, he was seldom in the top players on the ground for KM's covered - inferring that perhaps the workrate both ways was hurting his ability to be really impactful and making him the more 'workhorse' midfielder that GrantysGhost suggests.

Not sure if there is anything to it - but against Brisbane he covered 0.9km more than any player from either team. V Port he wasn't in the top 5 (probably owing to being kept out of the game deep forward for the entire 3rd quarter where we lost the game), and against Richmond only Richards out-ran him from a Bulldogs perspective.

Where do you find the player tracking info? Or do you need a live pass to access?

He also lead our TOG at 95%, which is ridiculous for a mid. I know he spent a fair bit of time forward in the second but still. I would like to see us look after him a bit more. Perhaps a bit more bench time so he can bring a bit more burst energy to the contest. You don't plough a field with a Ferrari.

bornadog
12-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Where do you find the player tracking info? Or do you need a live pass to access?

He also lead our TOG at 95%, which is ridiculous for a mid. I know he spent a fair bit of time forward in the second but still. I would like to see us look after him a bit more. Perhaps a bit more bench time so he can bring a bit more burst energy to the contest. You don't plough a field with a Ferrari.

Is it metres gained? see here (https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover?state=NobwRA1glgdgJmAXGAomANGADgQwC4AWSwYOcAbjjAMYC mcAYlADZ60BOA4uwPYCuWAM4YArJihsAtsPQBGTNQK1qEemAC6mZgWGI87Pr UzsdSAGY5mg2gF904aPCSoM2fEUQkylGvSasObn4hUXEpGQAGBSUVNU0wbV1 9Q2NTRAsrW3tIWARkNExcQmJSCio6RhY2Ll4BGQAWMNppDEawRWVVBHjE80t rVKSDLIdc5wK3Ys9Snwr-aqC61qaW9AAmaM64rTSMgbATIcM7Uad81yKPLzLfSoCa4JkAZhWGzdjund09 owO05JGOTOLkK7hK3nKfiqgVqIXQLzAEmaMnk7RiXQ0Xz6mUGSABJyBeRBky uM0hdwWsOerwwUTRW0%2BCV2-V%2BhzxwwJjiJE0u4Juc2hDyW6xpcneGJ6-2GuPSLM5Y3OoKm11mUPuizhqKRq1kqI6H0xTO%2BLJl%2BOyXPGFzB0wht3m MMeGC14QwG3pBslR1ZzMy8uBPOtKvJ9qFmtFevR2yN7JSf2NvvNCuJvJt-LVlMd6Dp2up7olWL00rj2Osfu5VuVZLtgo1kVFdP1%2BejhdjbNlCdORIAgh XSWZBQAhHDsACSLviuVoAA8kNmpEhO84AHKuNsOWgAT2cbBwkhHCHF9AA0pv dCQAMIAEQA%2BgAVWQRVxXu9rR%2BYZ%2B3p5vsAf%2Brfj8iP%2BN63gAbE Bd4AOzgfeESwU%2BwEPg%2B8F3gAHNBACc0EPlhSHvghr7IfeX6EbIYEkYBJ F-oaljMGOyLnpGeT4jYZaWkqpLWMwyhsHAADKeD4AAMjgABGtDMIavTIAASvgs AAOYAAQAAo8LAeAyMWyDnjwMBsIIPGKQAssOEDCKxiokiUnHcfQ-H4CeW6es47ByTA8mqepmltmAki0PotCCJwOCwGoFnJoGYDWMOHRwMpzA4BuH D7pJaRgGANjqEAA)

Axe Man
12-08-2020, 12:15 PM
Is it metres gained? see here (https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover?state=NobwRA1glgdgJmAXGAomANGADgQwC4AWSwYOcAbjjAMYC mcAYlADZ60BOA4uwPYCuWAM4YArJihsAtsPQBGTNQK1qEemAC6mZgWGI87Pr UzsdSAGY5mg2gF904aPCSoM2fEUQkylGvSasObn4hUXEpGQAGBSUVNU0wbV1 9Q2NTRAsrW3tIWARkNExcQmJSCio6RhY2Ll4BGQAWMNppDEawRWVVBHjE80t rVKSDLIdc5wK3Ys9Snwr-aqC61qaW9AAmaM64rTSMgbATIcM7Uad81yKPLzLfSoCa4JkAZhWGzdjund09 owO05JGOTOLkK7hK3nKfiqgVqIXQLzAEmaMnk7RiXQ0Xz6mUGSABJyBeRBky uM0hdwWsOerwwUTRW0%2BCV2-V%2BhzxwwJjiJE0u4Juc2hDyW6xpcneGJ6-2GuPSLM5Y3OoKm11mUPuizhqKRq1kqI6H0xTO%2BLJl%2BOyXPGFzB0wht3m MMeGC14QwG3pBslR1ZzMy8uBPOtKvJ9qFmtFevR2yN7JSf2NvvNCuJvJt-LVlMd6Dp2up7olWL00rj2Osfu5VuVZLtgo1kVFdP1%2BejhdjbNlCdORIAgh XSWZBQAhHDsACSLviuVoAA8kNmpEhO84AHKuNsOWgAT2cbBwkhHCHF9AA0pv dCQAMIAEQA%2BgAVWQRVxXu9rR%2BYZ%2B3p5vsAf%2Brfj8iP%2BN63gAbE Bd4AOzgfeESwU%2BwEPg%2B8F3gAHNBACc0EPlhSHvghr7IfeX6EbIYEkYBJ F-oaljMGOyLnpGeT4jYZaWkqpLWMwyhsHAADKeD4AAMjgABGtDMIavTIAASvgs AAOYAAQAAo8LAeAyMWyDnjwMBsIIPGKQAssOEDCKxiokiUnHcfQ-H4CeW6es47ByTA8mqepmltmAki0PotCCJwOCwGoFnJoGYDWMOHRwMpzA4BuH D7pJaRgGANjqEAA)

No not metres gained, Ozza is talking about how far they cover in a game, eg 15kms, I can't see that info.

Metres gained is how far forward a player moves the ball, be it by hand, foot or carried.

bornadog
12-08-2020, 12:17 PM
No not metres gained, Ozza is talking about how far they cover in a game, eg 15kms, I can't see that info.

Metres gained is how far forward a player moves the ball, be it by hand, foot or carried.

OK, cheers

I see Williams is our best at metres gaines and currently sitting 11th in AFL

Ozza
12-08-2020, 12:55 PM

Yes its via the AFL app. I didn't realise that it doesn't come up if you don't have the live pass. But yes it is metres the individual runs in a game and there are other stats such as the number of sprints and repeat sprints, as well as recording who has sprinted the fastest during the game.

V Brisbane Bont covered 13.4kms, and the next best in the game was McLuggage (12.5kms).
Lipinski always covers ground for us and was at 11.9kms.

13.4kms is a very high figure in the shortened games. Tom Scully has always been one of the big runners and he is sitting between 12-12.5kms most games.

azabob
12-08-2020, 09:03 PM

If your mobile is with Telstra you have access to AFL live pass and extra data that Ozza refers to.

Remi Moses
13-08-2020, 07:32 AM
Might be carrying a niggle or two
Still fairly decent though , although he’s no mere mortal

Axe Man
13-08-2020, 10:51 AM
If your mobile is with Telstra you have access to AFL live pass and extra data that Ozza refers to.

Thanks but not with Telstra.

Eastdog
17-08-2020, 12:06 AM
Was excellent today. The game today and the Syndey game were his best games so far this season. Starting to get some form back.

bornadog
17-08-2020, 12:11 AM
Was excellent today. The game today and the Syndey game were his best games so far this season. Starting to get some form back.

His game against Brisbane was one of his bet with 30 disposals, of which 16 were contested plus a goal

Eastdog
17-08-2020, 12:12 AM
His game against Brisbane was one of his bet with 30 disposals, of which 16 were contested plus a goal

Yep agree was right in my votes last week as well. If he gets his set shot goal kicking right he'll be hard to stop.

Vred
17-08-2020, 12:53 AM
Only took him half the season but we're finally seeing the Bont of yesteryear

AshMac
17-08-2020, 08:26 AM

He was. I’m trying to spot the similarities between those games other than he Didn’t get a lot of attention at stoppages. English didn’t dominate yesterday, centre setup looked the same so can’t figure it out.

Happy Days
17-08-2020, 10:27 AM
Great to see Bont work through his complete malaise and hatred for footy yesterday :-)

1eyedog
17-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Yeah I thought Adelaide used the Bont really well yesterday.

comrade
17-08-2020, 10:35 AM
Any chance the other clubs didn't watch our game and so forget to tag him like Adelaide? Would be nice.

Happy Days
17-08-2020, 10:40 AM
Any chance the other clubs didn't watch our game and so forget to tag him like Adelaide? Would be nice.

Nicks said they were tagging him at half time. He was just way too good.

bornadog
17-08-2020, 12:18 PM

Brisbane tried the same but couldn't contain him. Maybe he is learning to get rid of the tags. I hope so because he will cop it all his playing life.

Grantysghost
17-08-2020, 12:20 PM
Brisbane tried the same but couldn't contain him. Maybe he is learning to get rid of the tags. I hope so because he will cop it all his playing life.

Keays really did a poor job of it, he was nowhere near him ! Best thing he did was win the Rhett Biglands bad hair award.

Mofra
17-08-2020, 12:24 PM
Keays really did a poor job of it, he was nowhere near him ! Best thing he did was win the Rhett Biglands bad hair award.
Keays would probably finish in Adelaide's top 5 in the B&F too. No way Keays was ever going to go with Bont in the air. Bont took a very good grab late in the game off the HB line to help a transition play.

SonofScray
17-08-2020, 12:54 PM

They didn't have two players holding him around the arms and waist at every stoppage. Silly mistake!

comrade
17-08-2020, 12:59 PM
They didn't have two players holding him around the arms and waist at every stoppage. Silly mistake!

Yeah there's an Adelaide tag, and there's an actual tag.

bornadog
17-08-2020, 01:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EfloDOdUMAAMnwm?format=jpg&name=medium

Ozza
17-08-2020, 01:27 PM
Just looked at his year - this is a bit of a snapshot

R1: v Pies - really down game for everyone. Only had 15 possessions.
R2: v Saints - Tried his heart out for 24 possessions (12 contested) & 6 clearances under heavy tag. Execution poor.
R3: v Giant - not big numbers, but influential 16 and a goal. Got a coaches vote.
R4: v Swans - starred. 10 votes from coaches.
R5: v Kangas - kept quiet but team had a big win and got a big rest in the last quarter and forward a lot.
R6: v Blues - 22, 6 tackles, a goal, 5 clearances.
R7: v dons - 23 including 3 goal assists, 7 i50s, 5 clearances. One of many good players on the night, got 4 coaches votes
R8 v suns: 20 possessions. Wasn't in coaches votes, but game securing mark
R9: v Tigers: Ordinary game from everyone - 15 possessions, 6 score involvements, 2 contested marks.
R10: v Power: Our best player. 22 & 8 clearances. Got coaches votes.
R11: v Lions: 30 and a goal. Our second best behind Macrae.
R12: v Crows: Clear BOG. Enormous numbers.

Coaches votes (assuming yesterday he is in) in 5 of 12 games. Last year in 22 games he polled 13 times from the coaches. But rattled home hard with votes in the final 5 games.