PDA

View Full Version : Trade Dunkley

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

jeemak
04-10-2022, 10:12 PM
You want to be quick on your feet down at the nets.

Probably not that quick given who you've drawn.

I actually boxed last night for the second time in a month and I can't move sideways anymore.

jeemak
04-10-2022, 10:15 PM
You'll hear from my lawyers in the morning. Yarraville nets type lawyers!

I'd had enough, clearly. You let the power go to your head and if it needs to be knocked out at the nets then Happy Days has a desk set up there and can sort it out for you.

Twodogs
05-10-2022, 03:14 AM
Probably not that quick given who you've drawn.

I actually boxed last night for the second time in a month and I can't move sideways anymore.

Heh!

A week or so ago I went down to the Yarraville nets poor relation, the Kingsville nets with my son, a cricket bat and a cricket ball. He faced up and I threw up a couple of big looping leg spinners that he promptly dispatched over my head (he's got an eye like a dead fish) but then I got him middle and leg with an arm ball that went between the gap he left between bad and pad. It felt bloody good but I couldn't move any of the body parts beneath my eyes the next day.

It was probably the jumping around and punching the air or the two victory laps I ran around the nets more than anything else.

It was well worth it though.

SonofScray
05-10-2022, 03:55 PM
How does Brisbane downgrading pick 15 to 21 factor in for us?

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 03:57 PM
How does Brisbane downgrading pick 15 to 21 factor in for us?

On paper it's not doing much unless we are happy for 2023 compensation.
Brisbane can now trade a F1 and F2 and maybe something else.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2022, 04:34 PM
Something probably still gets done but could Dunkley not have chosen ANY other side?

It's like he didn't learn a thing from two years ago.

Not sure it's great advice via his player manager either.

Different if he was happy to go to GC too, but he's not.

azabob
05-10-2022, 06:38 PM
Trying to think did we burn Brisbane in dealing with them when trading Adams and Schache?

bulldogtragic
05-10-2022, 06:40 PM
Trying to think did we burn Brisbane in dealing with them when trading Adams and Schache?

Doubt it. I'd think they're pretty happy with both deals right now.

AshMac
05-10-2022, 06:40 PM
It’s really disappointing that the entire decision on destination rests with the player. There should be an element of the club finding the best deal and the player needing to compromise.

Question - what happens if he goes to the PSD? Can he set a contract value to filter other clubs out, could the dogs select him again before brisbane?

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 06:41 PM

I don't think so, both of them were fair deals.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2022, 06:44 PM
It’s really disappointing that the entire decision on destination rests with the player. There should be an element of the club finding the best deal and the player needing to compromise.

Question - what happens if he goes to the PSD? Can he set a contract value to filter other clubs out, could the dogs select him again before brisbane?

Pretty sure he can nominate for the ND draft with a price on his head. But North and could pay it easily in the PSD. A handful of clubs could offer it in the ND too.

Dunkley is stuffed if Brisbane don't get the deal done. He comes back to us, or he ends up anywhere. He picked them, they came out and accepted it. They will be pay up. It's not desperate yet by a long shot, but i'd love to know what our demands are. Like, tonight in the press.

AshMac
05-10-2022, 06:46 PM
Pretty sure he can nominate for the ND draft with a price on his head. But North and could pay it easily in the PSD. A handful of clubs could offer it in the ND too.

Dunkley is stuffed if Brisbane don't get the deal done. He comes back to us, or he ends up anywhere. He picked them, they came out and accepted it. They will be pay up. It's not desperate yet by a long shot, but i'd love to know what our demands are. Like, tonight in the press.

That said - is the pressure on Brisbane to get the deal done or on us to accept something “because he is leaving anyway”?

bulldogtragic
05-10-2022, 06:53 PM
That said - is the pressure on Brisbane to get the deal done or on us to accept something “because he is leaving anyway”?

I say on them. They no doubt think they can do better than this year (GF or Premier) with Dunkley, Gunston & at least Ashcroft likely in their best 23 by the end of the season. They've got the plan to go a week further in 2023. So I think they're focused on how to make that a reality.

A future Pick 15-18, versus, trying to get him to stay after nothing happens or let North grab him isn't a big thing to me. I'd gamble the pick on standing our ground and talking him out of North.

I still think this absolutely gets done. Brisbane are putting up $750,000 X 6 years. They think he's making a huge difference to their fortunes. So when it comes to it, they're going to have to put up a good player we want, or risk blowing up the opportunity to advance in 2023.

Both have something to lose. I'd say Brisbane have more to lose since they think Dunkley is a crucial trade in to their fortunes. That's why they get it done. The radio silence might just be down to medicals done on the quiet. But I'd like to hear what we are demanding.

MrMahatma
05-10-2022, 06:59 PM
I don't think teams typically put each other over a barrel on trading. I mean, there's a decent chance we'll get unders, but not a total rip off/bargain. That only happens when the club is driving the trade (EG: Treloar, or Stringer).

kruder
05-10-2022, 07:41 PM
How do people feel about waiting an extra year for a shiny new toy?

If there are two picks in the deal im keen for at least one this year just think this group can kick hard off a freshen up and a good vibe that new recruits can provide.

hujsh
05-10-2022, 07:46 PM

If there are two picks in the deal im keen for at least one this year just think this group can kick hard off a freshen up and a good vibe that new recruits can provide.

Yeah there's value in that for sure. 2 firsts this year would be a good injection (and 2 next in a super draft as well)

bulldogtragic
05-10-2022, 07:47 PM

Whose to say we don’t trade it for a player (not reported about) this year?

G-Mo77
05-10-2022, 08:19 PM

We've got to get something in return for next season otherwise, IMO, it's a fail. So many good teams going so hard to make themselves better, Geelong, Richmond, Melbourne, Collingwood, Brisbane have already shown their intent. We seem to be content losing players and don't seem to have any targets or any fires in the oven apart from some Salvo store specials.

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 08:21 PM

We will bring in a player with our first round pick and Power prepared us by saying he was open to a few scenario's.
My preference is to get a few players in now but it might not play out that way.

MrMahatma
05-10-2022, 10:07 PM
Well, we’ve got Jones. We might get in Lobb. Unless we get another best 18 or so KPD or small fwd, I’d say we go to draft with any pick in the top 30 or so. I’m not massively in the “we need to get someone this year” vibe, noting that our drafting is usually pretty good in the first round and most of our good players were first rounders.

DOG GOD
05-10-2022, 10:32 PM
We've got to get something in return for next season otherwise, IMO, it's a fail. So many good teams going so hard to make themselves better, Geelong, Richmond, Melbourne, Collingwood, Brisbane have already shown their intent. We seem to be content losing players and don't seem to have any targets or any fires in the oven apart from some Salvo store specials.

Players need to want to come to our club, and they just don’t for whatever reason.

Eastdog
05-10-2022, 10:48 PM
I’ve just been reading not posting a lot on the trade threads. Will be fascinating how it plays out.

Scraggers
05-10-2022, 11:41 PM
I don’t see how Brisbane have the capital available after trading pick 15 for a future second rounder. If Taranto is worth two single digit picks, Dunkley is worth much more. Let it go to the pre … our contract is still on the table Josh. You’re welcome to stay.

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2022, 11:46 PM
I’ve just been reading not posting a lot on the trade threads. Will be fascinating how it plays out.

I’ve been wondering today how the Lions can get picks off the Giants to give to us - they seem to have a swag of early picks

bornadog
05-10-2022, 11:47 PM
Players need to want to come to our club, and they just don’t for whatever reason.

Lobb, Jones do

ratsmac
06-10-2022, 03:48 AM
What happens to Brisbane's future first round pick if Brisbane end up in points deficit after matching bids on Ashcroft and the other f/s (Fletcher?)? Is it pushed back and if so how far? And if we end up with their future first pick for Dunks, is it locked because we now hold it? I doubt that to be the case so what guarantees do we have that if we accept their future first that they have the points currency to be able to cover any bids on their F/S kids? My concern is if we accept any future picks with Brisbane now with a week remaining in the trade window, Brisbane go and trade away their picks haphazardly this year ,knowing it wont affect them because we hold their picks and we get pushed back the order next year not them.

Did that make any sense or am I just delirious because I can't sleep right now?

G-Mo77
06-10-2022, 04:58 AM

Lobb and Jones are 2 who wanted to come here but I get your point DG.

Are we being proactive in recruiting or just waiting and see how things fall into place? I know we don't know much as our club gives nothing away. It would be nice to hear nothing but silence once in a while. I'm very concerned how our trade period is going right now. We're losing 3 of our premiership players and 2 of those are F/S for what seems like a couple of magic beans.

DOG GOD
06-10-2022, 07:59 AM
Lobb, Jones do
Not guys in their prime are they .

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 08:26 AM
What happens to Brisbane's future first round pick if Brisbane end up in points deficit after matching bids on Ashcroft and the other f/s (Fletcher?)? Is it pushed back and if so how far? And if we end up with their future first pick for Dunks, is it locked because we now hold it? I doubt that to be the case so what guarantees do we have that if we accept their future first that they have the points currency to be able to cover any bids on their F/S kids? My concern is if we accept any future picks with Brisbane now with a week remaining in the trade window, Brisbane go and trade away their picks haphazardly this year ,knowing it wont affect them because we hold their picks and we get pushed back the order next year not them.

Did that make any sense or am I just delirious because I can't sleep right now?

They can go into deficit to around 700 points or around pick 27.
If they trade that future 1st pick nothing happens to it as it's no longer theirs and the deficit is applied to other selections.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 08:53 AM

Not sure how we fix that and perhaps the redevelopment of the WO might help.
Either way if we aren't perceived as a destination club in the eyes of good players in the prime of their careers then we need to be a club that has a great development program and become a club that focuses more on the draft and lower end trades.

One of the challenges is that we haven't been a successful club over an extended period ie after our successes in 2015 and 2016 we couldn't back up the flag in 2017/18 and lost momentum. The same this year after a very impressive 2021.

We are a well run club and 50K members means we are growing the membership base and we now just need to improve or on-field performances in what is a very competitive competition.

mjp
06-10-2022, 09:33 AM
Not sure how we fix that and perhaps the redevelopment of the WO might help.

I've posted on this point before.

I think choosing a 'lane' and sticking to it would really help with regards to club facilities.

You can't have 'everthing'. Well, West Coast can. And Adelaide can. But not too many others. The 'big' Melbourne clubs (except Essendon) are space restricted due to their location/age of their facilities...us? We're in the western suburbs and whilst I would happily argue the merits of living on 'this side' of the city, reality is most Melbourne based recruits are 'from' the other side of the city...so they prob want to live there which makes the commute a challenge etc.

Choose a lane. Over invest in one thing. Medical, rehab (cryo etc), whatever...make 'something' we do best of breed WITHOUT question. Give players a really compelling reason to select 'US'. You wont get everyone, but if you are trying to compete against Collingwood in every category and they have the "Well, we play in front of 80K + 6x per year minimum" card in their back-pocket...we are going to lose.

Other than that, you are left trying to overpay to attract/retain talent and it is never going to work.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 09:37 AM
Not guys in their prime are they .

Lobb is definitely in his prime. Just had a ripping season.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 09:38 AM

I think choosing a 'lane' and sticking to it would really help with regards to club facilities.

You can't have 'everthing'. Well, West Coast can. And Adelaide can. But not too many others. The 'big' Melbourne clubs (except Essendon) are space restricted due to their location/age of their facilities...us? We're in the western suburbs and whilst I would happily argue the merits of living on 'this side' of the city, reality is most Melbourne based recruits are 'from' the other side of the city...so they prob want to live there which makes the commute a challenge etc.

Choose a lane. Over invest in one thing. Medical, rehab (cryo etc), whatever...make 'something' we do best of breed WITHOUT question. Give players a really compelling reason to select 'US'. You wont get everyone, but if you are trying to compete against Collingwood in every category and they have the "Well, we play in front of 80K + 6x per year minimum" card in their back-pocket...we are going to lose.

Other than that, you are left trying to overpay to attract/retain talent and it is never going to work.

Rayner is a westie ;)

Mofra
06-10-2022, 09:41 AM
I don’t see how Brisbane have the capital available after trading pick 15 for a future second rounder. If Taranto is worth two single digit picks, Dunkley is worth much more. Let it go to the pre … our contract is still on the table Josh. You’re welcome to stay.
Taranto went for 12 & 19, neither were single digit picks.
There might have been a bit of buttering up GWS for a Hopper deal too.

I don't think we're in a good position with Dunkley. a F1 and two seconds is all we can really push for now

Mofra
06-10-2022, 09:42 AM

Sports science - VU partnership.
For mine it's a pretty easy decision. They saved Wood's career at one point

The Doctor
06-10-2022, 09:46 AM
AFL Trade Radio

@traderadio

"We have been trying to split some picks the last few days and now we will probably focus first on the Gunston deal and if we can get some more picks we can start working on the Dunkley deal."

- Danny Daly on what deal goes first...

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 09:51 AM
AFL Trade Radio

@traderadio

"We have been trying to split some picks the last few days and now we will probably focus first on the Gunston deal and if we can get some more picks we can start working on the Dunkley deal."

Nice. Thanks Dunks.

azabob
06-10-2022, 10:02 AM

It is quite obvious when you say it like that.

What lane would you chose?

The example you put was medical; surely that is the area we need to focus on? We have connection with a university and their sports science areas.

azabob
06-10-2022, 10:04 AM
AFL Trade Radio

@traderadio

Sounds very odd.

This is what ex dog recruiter (now at Brisbane) said last night

A key piece of Brisbane’s trade period puzzle is that of Western Bulldogs best and fairest winner Josh Dunkley, who has requested a trade to the Lions.

Ambrogio is confident a deal will be done with the Dogs in due course.

“We’re rapt that Josh is keen to come to Brisbane,” Ambrogio said.

“It’s always nice when a player of Josh’s quality is so determined to become a Lion.

“We respect the Bulldogs greatly so we’re not keen to have the negotiations with them played out in public.

“But we’re very confident and we’ll keep working together to land on a fair outcome in the timeframe we need to.”

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 10:06 AM

I've done a bit of research on how smaller teams like us compete in professional sports competitions and especially to attract players and what you have detailed is what a lot of them endeavor to do. Some go for an outstanding club rooms, gyms and medical facilities but the key difference is that they are often playing and training out of their own stadiums.

As you have highlighted we won't win as many players over as we would like with having a nice facility but having a clear point of difference or two could be the best approach.

chef
06-10-2022, 10:18 AM
AFL Trade Radio

@traderadio

Lol. We'll be feasting on their scraps then hey.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 10:18 AM

Seems to have worked for Brisbane having the 'we will fix your broken bodies with our warm sunlight' or whatever they do.

Topdog
06-10-2022, 10:25 AM
AFL Trade Radio

@traderadio

Seems logical and they understand that they need more picks for us.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2022, 10:25 AM

This is a great post mjp.

Is there any way we can try to copy Geelong's model with GMHBA Stadium by trying to upgrade WO to a point where we can at least play SOME games there? i.e. vs Gold Coast, GWS, Tas?, Freo....

I know that's a long shot, but if we went back 10-15 years ago WO was a pit and never to be used for anything other than training. Things change.

If we could couple that with what mjp mentioned above about being the 'best' at something, maybe we bridge the gap and carve out a niche position in the competition.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 11:58 AM
Sam Edmund is reporting that there is a real standoff between Ambrogio and Power and given the trades yesterday there has been no progress made.
Power said to be considering not doing a trade with Lions.

We were reluctantly resigned to losing him for the two first rounders this year and next but the Lions wanted our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year back in that scenario.

More to play out here.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 12:05 PM
Sam Edmund is reporting that there is a real standoff between Ambrogio and Power and given the trades yesterday there has been no progress made.
Power said to be considering not doing a trade with Lions.

We were reluctantly resigned to losing him for the two first rounders this year and next but the Lions wanted our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year back in that scenario.

More to play out here.

Good news. The club is holding firm. Let fear get into Dunkley and his manager and see where their pressure for the trade lands with Brisbane. Go on, bet that Sam Power is bluffing Ambrogio.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 12:06 PM
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/05/bulldogs-willing-to-walk-dunkley-into-the-open-market-as-brisbane-talks/

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 12:07 PM
Good news. The club is holding firm. Let fear get into Dunkley and his manager and see where their pressure for the trade lands with Brisbane. Go on, bet that Sam Power is bluffing Ambrogio.

We apparently met last night and decided we won't budge and we are not opposed to drafting Dunkley in the PSD ahead of the Lions.

angelopetraglia
06-10-2022, 12:08 PM
I'm happy for the club to play serious hardball with the Dunkley trade. If we get nothing so be it. But they are offering up serious rubbish at the moment. They knew their position and committed to Dunkley. I have no idea how they thought they were going to get this done.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 12:10 PM
Good move to ratchet up the media pressure.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 12:11 PM
We apparently met last night and decided we won't budge and we are no opposed to drafting Dunkley ahead of the Lions.

Great response by the club. Brisbane get serious, or get nothing. I'm happy with that as our position.

GVGjr
Good move to ratchet up the media pressure.

The volume got cranked up no doubt.

Pickering and Dunkley will need to apply some pressure here.

hujsh
Wanting our 2nd and 3rd rounders back when we still are expecting to trade for Lobb is especially rich. Given we're willing to be reasonable and take what they have (had) despite being less than what we think is fair it's a slap in the face.

C'mon GWS you know you want him. Offload Whitfield somewhere for cap space and send us some juicy picks for the Dunk Trunk

MrMahatma
06-10-2022, 12:16 PM
I mean, he hasn't requested the Suns but could we deal with them? I know he has to sign, but if it's Suns or PSD and maybe North, surely he'd do it?

Bulldog Joe
06-10-2022, 12:18 PM
Any chance Dunkley just signs on for next year with us.

He then gets to be the prime free agent for 2023 and lots of Brand Dunkley exposure.

Axe Man
06-10-2022, 12:18 PM
'Not going anywhere': Lions won't let former No.1 pick go (https://www.afl.com.au/news/854516/trade-talk-live-lions-set-to-get-busy-swans-suns-re-sign-cats-do-it-again)

One man that Lions football manager Danny Daly said was not up for grabs was former No.1 pick Cam Rayner.

Daly said both he and list manager Dom Ambrogio had repeatedly spoken to Rayner in the past two weeks to convince the 22-year-old they had no intention of even entertaining a move after reports speculating it was something the club should look into.

"We haven't spoken to anyone about it because he loves this footy club, we love him, he's not going anywhere," Daly said.

"In fact, we're getting his brother up to play in our VFL team hopefully next year.

"We've got high hopes for Cam coming off a year with his knee surgery. We feel he can go to another level next year and be a really important player for us.

"He's not going anywhere. I can end that speculation right now."

Daly said after Brisbane had spent the early part of Trade Period splitting picks to gather more points ahead of the draft, the Lions would soon move on to acquiring Hawk Jack Gunston and Bulldog Dunkley.

EasternWest
06-10-2022, 12:19 PM

He then gets to be the prime free agent for 2023 and lots of Brand Dunkley exposure.

A great man already floated this idea and got no traction.

G-Mo77
06-10-2022, 12:20 PM
I mean, he hasn't requested the Suns but could we deal with them? I know he has to sign, but if it's Suns or PSD and maybe North, surely he'd do it?

Firstly he had to agree to go to Gold Coast, secondly do they even have the cap space?

If this is true this is a disaster. To lose Dunkley for nothing would be an absolute disgrace

Bulldog Joe
'Not going anywhere': Lions won't let former No.1 pick go (https://www.afl.com.au/news/854516/trade-talk-live-lions-set-to-get-busy-swans-suns-re-sign-cats-do-it-again)

One man that Lions football manager Danny Daly said was not up for grabs was former No.1 pick Cam Rayner.

Daly said both he and list manager Dom Ambrogio had repeatedly spoken to Rayner in the past two weeks to convince the 22-year-old they had no intention of even entertaining a move after reports speculating it was something the club should look into.

"We haven't spoken to anyone about it because he loves this footy club, we love him, he's not going anywhere," Daly said.

"In fact, we're getting his brother up to play in our VFL team hopefully next year.

"We've got high hopes for Cam coming off a year with his knee surgery. We feel he can go to another level next year and be a really important player for us.

Daly said after Brisbane had spent the early part of Trade Period splitting picks to gather more points ahead of the draft, the Lions would soon move on to acquiring Hawk Jack Gunston and Bulldog Dunkley.

I like this response as it sows the seed to get Rayner as part of the Dunkley deal.

His brother can then stay home and play for Footscray.

hujsh
If they involve a player Lohman looks a more likely target. I could live with a future first, Lohman and a second or future second.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 12:24 PM
Veale Deal II

North get Pick 8 (in part) for JHF

North send us Tarryn Thomas (with some wage covered) and Pick 8.

We send them Lachie Hunter (no salary contributed by us) and Pick 69. No deal on Dunkley under any circumstances.

Dunkley & Hunter with Pick 69 - for - Thomas and Pick 8 (Pick 9 after Ashcroft bid matched), Dogs free up some $800,000 net.

MrMahatma
06-10-2022, 12:24 PM
Firstly he had to agree to go to Gold Coast, secondly do they even have the cap space?

If this is true this is a disaster. To lose Dunkley for nothing would be an absolute disgrace

They're certainly more comfortable moving on players, so maybe there's a player swap there.

Stevo
06-10-2022, 12:34 PM
If they involve a player Lohman looks a more likely target. I could live with a future first, Lohman and a second or future second.

Seems reasonable but will depend on how we rated Lohmann last year because if he was someone we thought as a top 20 player it then makes sense.

Would upgrading our pick 30 (TY) to their pick 21 (TY) plus their 1st and 2nd for Dunkley be acceptable for us?

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2022, 12:35 PM
Still almost certain a deal gets done, but this just again highlights that Josh Dunkley's decision making is questionable at best.

He's chosen the worst club to go to given their situation/commitment to F/S prospects - regardless of any promises Brisbane have made. His manager is to blame, too.

The more I think about it, the more I absolutely despise the AFL trading system. You should be able to nominate a state, and have a preference of a club, but that's it.

There's still a lot of ways this trade gets done but it looks likely to need the involvement of other clubs.

If it's a pure Brisbane/Dogs deal, we should be looking at something like 2022 R2 (early pick), 2023 FR and Lohmann/Wilmott.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 12:36 PM
A great man already floated this idea and got no traction.

I don't recall doing that. Credit where it's due though thanks EW.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 12:37 PM

I think the door might be slightly ajar on that.
If Dunks manager contacts Brisbane and tells them to get real or we will renegotiate with the Dogs it will prick their ears up.
We might even let them know late in the piece we are bidding on Fletcher (who is a good player anyway) with pick 12.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 12:38 PM
Seems reasonable but will depend on how we rated Lohmann last year because if he was someone we thought as a top 20 player it then makes sense.

Would upgrading our pick 30 (TY) to their pick 21 (TY) plus their 1st and 2nd for Dunkley be acceptable for us?

If Freo would accept Pick 21 for Lobb in a straight trade. They lose 260 odd draft points. Could throw back Pick 69 to give them 50 to offset it.

Lobb, Future 1st & Future Second - for Dunkley and Pick 30 - would be something nearer a neutral/fair outcome is pushed came to shove.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 12:39 PM
I think the door might be slightly ajar on that.
If Dunks manager contacts Brisbane and tells them to get real or we will renegotiate with the Dogs it will prick their ears up.
We might even let them know late in the piece we are bidding on Fletcher (who is a good player anyway) with pick 12.

I can't see it.

How would he be able to come back after that farewell at the B and F.

It's just nuts this whole thing, he doesn't want to be with us we need to move him on IMO.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 12:44 PM
Still almost certain a deal gets done, but this just again highlights that Josh Dunkley's decision making is questionable at best.

He's chosen the worst club to go to given their situation/commitment to F/S prospects - regardless of any promises Brisbane have made. His manager is to blame, too.

The more I think about it, the more I absolutely despise the AFL trading system. You should be able to nominate a state, and have a preference of a club, but that's it.

There's still a lot of ways this trade gets done but it looks likely to need the involvement of other clubs.

If it's a pure Brisbane/Dogs deal, we should be looking at something like 2022 R2 (early pick), 2023 FR and Lohmann/Wilmott.

I agree but AFLPA won't so to keep them happy you'd probably need to add in that the need to meet certain contract terms. Might result in being able to price clubs out and force single club negotiations but it does at least remove some systemic advantage for certain clubs. Contracts shouldn't be renegotiable either.

Maybe Geelong will find a way around it by having everyone on cheap contracts, setting up existing players with sponsorship deals and overpaying for recruits.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 12:44 PM
I can't see it.

How would he be able to come back after that farewell at the B and F.

It's just nuts this whole thing, he doesn't want to be with us we need to move him on IMO.

It's why I said slightly ajar but if he and his manager look at this in a fair minded way (perhaps wishing for a lot) they should be disappointed in Brisbane's endeavor so far that could potentially see Dunkley running the gauntlet in the PSD.

His manager fixes this quickly by saying to them "get serious or get *!*!*!*!ed"
Brisbane's attitude would quickly change.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2022, 12:46 PM

This is bigger than just losing *A* player. Players are replaceable; being a walkover in negotiation is otherwise difficult to overcome now and into the future. If we bend to Brisbane, every other club in the league takes note. This is how reputations are formed - if clubs can underpay, they will underpay. If they know they can't, they're more inclined to just get the deal done.

I've read a few times on here that we should just accept the best offer Brisbane provide us. That's pitiful negotiation; you should ONLY accept what you WANT to accept, and what you deem is fair and equitable.

Otherwise, what's stopping them offering a second round pick and saying that's all we can do given our hands are tied? We should take it because Dunkley doesn't want to be here?

As long as we are being reasonable in our requests, we should absolutely hold Brisbane accountable and be willing to walk away.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 12:47 PM
This is bigger than just losing *A* player. Players are replaceable; being a walkover in negotiation is otherwise difficult to overcome now and into the future. If we bend to Brisbane, every other club in the league takes note. This is how reputations are formed - if clubs can underpay, they will underpay. If they know they can't, they're more inclined to just get the deal done.

I've read a few times on here that we should just accept the best offer Brisbane provide us. That's pitiful negotiation; you should ONLY accept what you WANT to accept, and what you deem is fair and equitable.

Otherwise, what's stopping them offering a second round pick and saying that's all we can do given our hands are tied? We should take it because Dunkley doesn't want to be here?

As long as we are being reasonable in our requests, we should absolutely hold Brisbane accountable and be willing to walk away.

100%.

Stevo
06-10-2022, 12:50 PM
If Freo would accept Pick 21 for Lobb in a straight trade. They lose 260 odd draft points. Could throw back Pick 69 to give them 50 to offset it.

Lobb, Future 1st & Future Second - for Dunkley and Pick 30 - would be something nearer a neutral/fair outcome is pushed came to shove.

Brilliant summary. Thanks Bulldogtragic. Pick 21 for Lobb should interest Fremantle

bornadog
06-10-2022, 12:54 PM
I don't know if Lions are just playing a game and trying it on, but their complete incompetence is mind boggling. They traded out pick 15 yesterday with the knowledge they should have given that to us.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. The only way now is they have to trade out someone good and either we are interested, or they open the market and get back a pick in first round.

I am sure Power and the club are not going to bend on this.

Mofra
06-10-2022, 12:55 PM

If Dunkley was going to an also-ran, I'd look to deal for unders.

For a side that will legitimately challenge next year? We absolutely should hold firm.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2022, 01:02 PM
I'm pretty confident in Sam's ability to navigate this. He's earned his stripes since taking on the role, and I've no reason to suspect he's going to get us caught out here.

Brisbane are not engaging in good faith negotiations and their lack of professionalism in ensuring they were adequately prepared to
pay the bill, despite knowing full well all year they needed to factor in the capital required to bit on two father/son's.

I'd be hoping Josh's manager is pretty p1ssed at Brisbane's opening ambit claim and moves.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 01:03 PM
If Dunkley was going to an also-ran, I'd look to deal for unders.

For a side that will legitimately challenge next year? We absolutely should hold firm.

They'd also have better picks to offer. Their unders would be closer to Brisbane's best offer

kruder
06-10-2022, 01:06 PM
I'm guessing Sam has asked the questioned on Cam Rayner with the lions coming out he is going no where?

Mofra
06-10-2022, 01:08 PM
I'd be hoping Josh's manager is pretty p1ssed at Brisbane's opening ambit claim and moves.
Pickers works for SEN who broke the tory (via Edmund).
He's absolutely pissed otherwise the issue never sees the light of day

Mofra
06-10-2022, 01:08 PM
I'm guessing Sam has asked the questioned on Cam Rayner with the lions coming out he is going no where?
100%

DOG GOD
06-10-2022, 01:09 PM
I don't know if Lions are just playing a game and trying it on, but their complete incompetence is mind boggling. They traded out pick 15 yesterday with the knowledge they should have given that to us.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. The only way now is they have to trade out someone good and either we are interested, or they open the market and get back a pick in first round.

I am sure Power and the club are not going to bend on this.

This is why I think Bris had no intention of using pick 15 in the Dunkley deal.
I just can’t see us getting anything than their future first and a non best 26 player

Bulldog4life
06-10-2022, 01:11 PM
I'm pretty confident in Sam's ability to navigate this. He's earned his stripes since taking on the role, and I've no reason to suspect he's going to get us caught out here.

Brisbane are not engaging in good faith negotiations and their lack of professionalism in ensuring they were adequately prepared to
pay the bill, despite knowing full well all year they needed to factor in the capital required to bit on two father/son's.

Furthermore they said they will concentrate firstly on Gunston THEN Dunkley. Maybe they are taking Bevo's good will towards Dunkley as a weakness. Wrong. Pony up or shut up.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 01:11 PM

Same here, there is still plenty of time for something decent to shake loose.
It's up to Dunks manager to apply some pressure here because they don't want to have to wait until the PSD so see where he lands.

No problems if the club becomes stubborn shits here. Brisbane want a special player and we believe they should pony up so we can't give a premiership contending team a free hit here.

kruder
06-10-2022, 01:16 PM
100%

Love the idea of a best 22 player to be included in the deal either directly or indirectly. Just wonder the fact Josh having made his mind up late has hurt us because its hard to get a player to commit prior by saying we need you if Josh goes etc.

Having 2 first rounders either this year or next plus a best 22 player is probably the best outcome for us.

Bulldog4life
06-10-2022, 01:20 PM
Heard Silvangi say Dunks is worth up to pick 10 in a trade. He went on to say late first rounders are not nearly worth as much.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 01:25 PM
Heard Silvangi say Dunks is worth up to pick 10 in a trade. He went on to say late first rounders are not nearly worth as much.

Definitely.

I have thought from the get go there's no way the Lions can pay for this deal.

Nothing has changed my mind.

How Dunkley and his management could look at their draft hand, the father sons coming in and other players like Gunstan and believe they had the capital is beyond me.

Can't be that stupid?

DOG GOD
06-10-2022, 01:28 PM
Definitely.

I have thought from the get go there's no way the Lions can pay for this deal.

Nothing has changed my mind.

How Dunkley and his management could look at their draft hand, the father sons coming in and other players like Gunstan and believe they had the capital is beyond me.

Can't be that stupid?

Stupidity or over confidence ?

EasternWest
06-10-2022, 01:29 PM

Yes.

Rocco Jones
06-10-2022, 01:31 PM
I think Dunks is very narrow in his thoughts. Not having a go at him, it can be a great thing in terms of professionalism and effort, however anything a bit abstract is not his forte.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 01:34 PM

Over stupidity.

azabob
06-10-2022, 01:53 PM
The best part about walking him to the pre season draft is he has to get through North Melbourne, Essendon and us before Brisbane get a look. Each of us has the salary cap to take him.

Brisbane need the trade to happen or they simply do not get him.

Brisbane rightly or wrongly have prioritised father / son picks over Josh Dunkley - which also rules them out of taking him in the national draft.

Dancin' Douggy
06-10-2022, 01:54 PM
I really hate the PRESUMPTION that the player gets to the club he chooses.

When did this become the accepted power balance? Is there a moment in time it became ironclad?

Brisbane and Dunkley PRESUME he will end up there, so there's no urgency or room for better offers from other clubs.

I'd be getting Gold Coast to put an offer on the table and air it publicly. Just for the exercise.

azabob
06-10-2022, 01:57 PM
Realistically how do we expect Gold Coast to be able to satisfy Dunkley's financial requirements?

Their salary cap is a shit show.

F'scary
06-10-2022, 02:01 PM
As Benny said, "the suspenders, it's killing me..."

Dancin' Douggy
06-10-2022, 02:07 PM
Realistically how do we expect Gold Coast to be able to satisfy Dunkley's financial requirements?

Their salary cap is a shit show.

Could be a player swap? Could be part of a complicated 3-4 player deal? I don't know. Would just love another club to rattle the cage a bit. Pisses me off that it seems a 'done deal' that #branddunks ends up at Brisbane despite the fact they simply don't have the picks we deserve or won't give up the players(s) we want

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2022, 02:14 PM
You've gotta laugh at Brisbane's undertone.

"You want us to what? Give up early picks for him? No no no."

"PLAYERS? No no no, no players."

"What are we giving Josh? 850K for 6 years, we think with him, we can win the Premiership as soon as next year."

I REALLY long for the days we can be mature about trading, with clubs coming out and saying something along the lines of "we KNOW Josh is a quality player, and to get quality you have to give up quality, so we will work with the Bulldogs to find a fair and equitable trade for both parties".

Instead, AFL clubs are obsessed with stand-off tactics and 'winning' the trade.

AshMac
06-10-2022, 02:17 PM
What the hell is Dunkley’s manager doing? His client has now twice come out publicly saying he wants to leave before either club has any of the building blocks in place to make the deal happen.

Absolute s**t show.

To get this far - after 4 weeks of us “waiting for the decision”’is an absolute joke. They aren’t committed to him - he looks like a knob for coming out and saying they’re his preference.

Walk him to the PSD and he can play in North Melbourne colours for all I care. This is precedent setting and it’s a farkin joke that it always happens with us.

Dancin' Douggy
06-10-2022, 02:28 PM
Liam Pickering should be on the phone to every other club hustling deals

He should beTelling #branddunks that Brisbane hasn't shown him the respect he deserves, and he should be drumming up offers from anywhere and everywhere. Forcing Brisbane to feel uneasy about the trade and offer up something fair.

At least drop the rumour on trade radio that several other clubs are circling as they "feel the brisbane deal may fall over" quote unquote.

jazzadogs
06-10-2022, 02:29 PM
Why is it trade to Brisbane or walk to PSD? Surely if it gets to the point where we are not trading with Brisbane, the conversation is had with Dunkley "hey mate, Brisbane aren't coming to the table so you're gonna go to PSD and North will pick you up - unless you're happy for us to trade you elsewhere for a good deal".

I know what #branddunks is choosing.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 02:38 PM
Liam Pickering should be on the phone to every other club hustling deals

He should beTelling #branddunks that Brisbane hasn't shown him the respect he deserves, and he should be drumming up offers from anywhere and everywhere. Forcing Brisbane to feel uneasy about the trade and offer up something fair.

At least drop the rumour on trade radio that several other clubs are circling as they "feel the brisbane deal may fall over" quote unquote.

I've reached out to Liam and mentioned it's on him if his player misses another move to the club he nominated.
Don't worry about #branddunks it's Precision Sports that will start to lose some credibility.

Rocco Jones
06-10-2022, 02:43 PM
Why is it trade to Brisbane or walk to PSD? Surely if it gets to the point where we are not trading with Brisbane, the conversation is had with Dunkley "hey mate, Brisbane aren't coming to the table so you're gonna go to PSD and North will pick you up - unless you're happy for us to trade you elsewhere for a good deal".

Because it's the way AFL is. I agree with you of course.

bornadog
06-10-2022, 02:45 PM
it’s a farkin joke that it always happens with us.

Any examples?

Mofra
Dunkley would look good in a Suns jumper...

GVGjr

I think it's a serious option.

ratsmac
06-10-2022, 02:48 PM
Send him to the plastics, straight swap for Whitfield. Sydney is close enough to Brisbane

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 02:50 PM
Dunkley would look good in a Suns jumper...

Rankine > Pick 5 and extra pick > Dunkley…

Even generous to take a salary dump in Collins out of the goodness of my heart…

jeemak
06-10-2022, 03:00 PM

It's what happens when you get honeydicked into making a decision to live with your girlfriend......oh wait, sorry, get some type of honey'd or dicked into making a decision to live near your sister, your best mate's partner and child, and your girlfriend's family.

You think with your honey and not your head.

Mofra
06-10-2022, 03:02 PM
It's what happens when you get honeydicked into making a decision to live with your girlfriend......oh wait, sorry, get some type of honey'd or dicked into making a decision to live near your sister, your best mate's partner and child, and your girlfriend's family.

Worked out ok for Jayden Schofield.

Oh wait...

EasternWest
06-10-2022, 03:07 PM

I'm loving your doggedness with this ridiculous scenario.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 03:39 PM
Worked out ok for Jayden Schofield.

Oh wait...

Blessed little scamp he was.....

jeemak
06-10-2022, 03:39 PM
I'm loving your doggedness with this ridiculous scenario.

Ha. It's a world of fun to me to think about when in reality he's probably just wanting to get away from his dad.

G-Mo77
06-10-2022, 03:50 PM
Would any of you honestly be happy if we got nothing for Dunkley? Sometimes there are battles you cannot win and you just need to move on. This instance is one of them, if we're posturing and it makes us get a better deal (which I suspect) great if we're serious the damage of this will last for a very long time.

1eyedog
06-10-2022, 03:50 PM

I'm not re. the otherside of town factor, I mean maybe but Bob Murphy lived in Carlton and then Thornbury throughout his reign with us. Dane Swan lived in Williamstown for a while and while the go home factor may be a thing many young players take up residence all over the country in year one and many stay and become one club players. Living in Prahran and working in Footscray should not be an issue.

The product I'd like to sell is the very thing that Hawthorn isn't, the family club, or something similar. I want parents to be happy for their kids to go to the Bulldogs who have a pretty good record (10 year pedophile ring in the 80s excluded) rather than the likes of Collingwood / Richmond / Essendon who appear from the outside to be constantly up to their eyeballs in turmoil. If we can develop relationships with parents built on trust I think, because parents are so influencual in their childrens lives i.e. Dunks for instance), we have a good chance of luring young players in and turning them into one club players.

Dal used to be really good with this and I think BMac did too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2022, 03:56 PM
Would any of you honestly be happy if we got nothing for Dunkley? Sometimes there are battles you cannot win and you just need to move on. This instance is one of them, if we're posturing and it makes us get a better deal (which I suspect) great if we're serious the damage of this will last for a very long time.

I wouldn't be happy. But I just don't think now is the time to be chewing our nails about this. I am confident that Sam and the team have a strategy. They're not oblivious to the situation, and in fact have probably planned a number of scenarios.
I think they're very serious about ensuring Brisbane pay as close to market value as possible. This isn't all on us either.

If I'm Dunkley, and I've agreed to their offer, then I've got to be aware that its up to Brisbane to make that deal happen.
They can't offer him a huge 6 year contract, publicly comment about how much they want him... and then just not even try to facilitate a deal that is by any stretch fair.

I think we're very serious about re-drafting him if his designated club doesn't pony up a decent offer. I actually hope that's the outcome to be honest. I don't want to make Brisbane better, and a 1 yr extension would get Dunkley to free agency.

1eyedog
06-10-2022, 03:57 PM

We just need Rayner to say he wants to come home to Taylors Lake. Trade sorted. I'd do 1 for 1 keep your picks.

bornadog
06-10-2022, 03:58 PM
Taranto two first round picks and is not as good a players as Dunks

Player Statistics Comparison

Josh Dunkley (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--josh-dunkley)
Name
Tim Taranto (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--tim-taranto)

Western Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
Team
GWS Giants (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-greater-western-sydney-giants)

Midfield, Forward
Position
Midfield, Forward

Career Games

Gippsland Power
Origin
Sandringham Dragons

January 9, 1997
Date of Birth
January 28, 1998

25yr 8mth

191cm
Height
188cm

91kg
Weight
89kg

2015 National Draft (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2015&t=N&s=P)
Last Drafted In
2016 National Draft (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2016&t=N&s=P)

Round 2, Pick #25
Last Draft Position
Round 1, Pick #2

Western Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
Last Drafted By
GWS Giants (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-greater-western-sydney-giants)

Stats for Season

Games

Kicks

Handballs

Disposals

Marks

Goals

Behinds

Tackles

Hitouts

Inside 50s

Goal Assists

Frees For

Frees Against

Contested Possessions

Uncontested Possessions

Effective Disposals

72.4%
Disposal Efficiency %
69%

Clangers

Contested Marks

Marks Inside 50

Clearances

Rebound 50s

One Percenters

Bounces

Time On Ground %

Centre Clearances

Stoppage Clearances

Score Involvements

Metres Gained

Turnovers

Intercepts

Tackles Inside 50

$843,000
AFL Fantasy Price
$747,000

AFL Fantasy Score

$563,800
Supercoach Price
$464,300

Supercoach Score

1eyedog
06-10-2022, 04:11 PM
What the hell is Dunkley’s manager doing? His client has now twice come out publicly saying he wants to leave before either club has any of the building blocks in place to make the deal happen.

Absolute s**t show.

To get this far - after 4 weeks of us “waiting for the decision”’is an absolute joke. They aren’t committed to him - he looks like a knob for coming out and saying they’re his preference.

Walk him to the PSD and he can play in North Melbourne colours for all I care. This is precedent setting and it’s a farkin joke that it always happens with us.

Seems to be the line Sammy is taking atm.

1eyedog
06-10-2022, 04:15 PM

It would please me no end to watch Dunkley play at Norf in 2023. I'd give up what Brisbane want to pay to see this.

Mofra
06-10-2022, 04:18 PM
If Brisbane somehow end up offering us pick 21 and a future first I suspect we take it.
There's nothing to suggest they're even close to that though.

Power may be stalling and asking Pickering to canvas the market again, hence he gets his radio partner Sammy Edmund to write the PSD article this morning. Let to footy world now they're a chance with Dunkley if they can make a late pitch to him.

Rocket Science
06-10-2022, 04:26 PM
Strong Dodoro energy here.

Ambrogio can save the list spot for Kyle Dunkley instead.

Rocket Science
06-10-2022, 04:42 PM
Their social media team openly trolling us now ...

https://i.ibb.co/6DGrqN8/Screen-Shot-2022-10-06-at-3-39-27-pm.png (https://ibb.co/SVH5ZJc)

Scorlibo
06-10-2022, 05:06 PM
This BS was totally predictable.

How many of us have posted questioning exactly how Brisbane would get this done under the circumstances? We've all identified that they'd need to trade out quality players to get there, why didn't they identify the same? You can't get something from nothing, and pick swapping for more draft points was never going to be the whole solution.

I'm getting flashbacks of the disastrous Stringer trade... we need to hold firm.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 05:09 PM
This BS was totally predictable.

How many of us have posted questioning exactly how Brisbane would get this done under the circumstances? We've all identified that they'd need to trade out quality players to get there, why didn't they identify the same? You can't get something from nothing, and pick swapping for more draft points was never going to be the whole solution.

I'm getting flashbacks of the disastrous Stringer trade... we need to hold firm.

Yep, it was always the worst club to trade with this year but lets face it the reported deal offered wasn't in any way acceptable.

Need to hold our ground and be prepared to either walk him into the PSD or renegotiate with him.
Pickering needs to get involved here and get Brisbane to make his player a priority.

Scraggers
06-10-2022, 06:14 PM
A question in two parts … what is the time difference between the end of the current trade period and the start of the PSD? Can we re-sign Dunks during that period?

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 06:17 PM
So apparently they offered us 15 and future first, but wanted something back? Have to say, that’s a reasonable offer if true?
Maybe one too many picks going back, but it’s close to the mark.

“The Lions put forward pick 15 and a future first-round pick for Dunkley but were keen to get picks 30, 39 and a future third-round back, which would have seen them essentially splitting for points as well as getting Dunkley.”

bornadog
06-10-2022, 06:20 PM
A question in two parts … what is the time difference between the end of the current trade period and the start of the PSD? Can we re-sign Dunks during that period?

At least three weeks

Topdog
06-10-2022, 06:21 PM
So apparently they offered us 15 and future first, but wanted something back? Have to say, that’s a reasonable offer if true?

“The Lions put forward pick 15 and a future first-round pick for Dunkley but were keen to get picks 30, 39 and a future third-round back, which would have seen them essentially splitting for points as well as getting Dunkley.”

Giving them 3 draft picks back is laughable

Scraggers
06-10-2022, 06:22 PM
At least three weeks

Thanks … And the second part to the question?

hujsh
06-10-2022, 06:23 PM

Nah we have valued him as 2 firsts, settling for later firsts since that's where Brisbane are. Giving back 30 and 39 turns 15 into a a 15 place pick upgrade with 39 thrown in and nothing left to deal for Lobb (unless we do a future second).

I think on points it puts Dunkley's value as pick 15 or something (I haven't calculated the future third so maybe even 20ish). Basically it's the offer we have now of a future first for Dunkley (or maybe worse!). It's not a good faith offer

azabob
06-10-2022, 06:23 PM

GG that is a terrible deal.

Dogs get pick 15 and say pick 15
Lions get Dunkley pick 30, 39 and say pick 45

How can you honestly think this is a good deal?

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 06:25 PM
Giving them 3 draft picks back is laughable
It’s basically a pick swap isn’t it that second part.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 06:27 PM
It’s basically a pick swap isn’t it that second part.

If it were a pick swap +2 firsts we'd get later picks back.

Grantysghost
GG that is a terrible deal.

Dogs get pick 15 and say pick 15
Lions get Dunkley pick 30, 39 and say pick 45

How can you honestly think this is a good deal?

I think it’s closer to the mark than I expected, which makes me think the Lions are at least dealing in reasonable faith.

If you take out pick 30 I almost satisfied with that.

Two first rounders for Dunks and a couple of thirds.

bulldogtragic

Dunkley can accept our contract at any time he likes, until he's signed to another club. He would have to nominate himself into the PSD at the end of his contract which from memory all fall at the end of October (or thereabout). I haven't read the rules in a while, but I think he can nominate for the National Draft with a figure on his head. But with Ashcroft and Fletcher, there's no way he slips down far enough for Brisbane to live trade their 2023 First to sign him at the ND. Shame. And we could end up in any state. Shame.

When Jack Martin had to do the same thing a few years ago, GCS were still trying to convince him to stay until his contract expired and he nominated himself in the PSD.

Problem for Dunks is that there's zero chance he can get to Brisbane in the PSD. Shame. North are struggling to pay the minimum required under the cap, Dunks could put $1,000,000 a season on his head and North should and would pick him up.

Me thinks he and Pickering might be hitting the phones over the weekend to avoid this blowing up in their faces. Shame.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 06:28 PM

It was effectively just pick 15 for Dunkley.

If you assume the F1 was going to be pick 15 again from a points perspective that's 2224 points in and 1400 points out.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 06:29 PM
If it were a pick swap +2 firsts we'd get later picks back.

They’re saying future first for those 3 picks.
Dunks for 15

I think that’s what I meant ;)

Axe Man
06-10-2022, 06:29 PM
I think on points it puts Dunkley's value as pick 15 or something (I haven't calculated the future third so maybe even 20ish). Basically it's the offer we have now of a future first for Dunkley (or maybe worse!). It's not a good faith offer

Based on us and Brisbane finishing in the same positions next year I calculate the net value at pick 21. Great deal :rolleyes:

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 06:30 PM
It was effectively just pick 15 for Dunkley.

If you assume the F1 was going to be pick 15 again from a points perspective that's 2224 points in and 1400 points out.
That’s basically the 900 gain they got from GWS isn’t it.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 06:31 PM
Based on us and Brisbane finishing in the same positions next year I calculate the net value at pick 21. Great deal :rolleyes:

Yep, spot on.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 06:33 PM
They’re saying future first for those 3 picks.
Dunks for 15

I think that’s what I meant ;)

But you think that's a fair deal? Effectively Dunks for 15 and a swap of picks that could be done independently of Dunkley?

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 06:34 PM
I think it’s closer to the mark than I expected, which makes me think the Lions are at least dealing in reasonable faith.

If you take out pick 30 I almost satisfied with that.

Two first rounders for Dunks and a couple of thirds.

Agree, 'if' Pick 30 was out that's almost about the best we can get. Problem, that wasn't offered and now they've weakened their draft hand. The only was I can see a resolution is a decent player being involved now, either direct or indirect.

Direct: Future First and Player X

Indirect: Robertson/Lobb/Future First & 3rd

Indirect: Pick 21 (For Lobb straight swap), Future First, Swap Future Second for our Future 3rd

Happy to throw them Pick 69 (for draft points) if we won't use it.

Still a few different ways for Brisbane to close a deal if they're proactive. That deal wasn't good and we were dead right to knock it back.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 06:36 PM
I guess we have to accept the fact we aren’t going to get what we want, partly due to Dunkley’s choice of club.

So for me if we get two first through the door and can bring in some top end talent for some late picks I don’t really care about the points, they mean little to us.

Of course I’d expect that being their first offer to be negotiated, them moving on that 15 though has really put a spanner in the works.

Shows their priority is getting the father son deals done first.

azabob
06-10-2022, 06:44 PM
I guess we have to accept the fact we aren’t going to get what we want, partly due to Dunkley’s choice of club.

So for me if we get two first through the door and can bring in some top end talent for some late picks I don’t really care about the points, they mean little to us.

Of course I’d expect that being their first offer to be negotiated, them moving on that 15 though has really put a spanner in the works.

Points do mean little, but pick 30 simply should not be discarded.

Scraggers
06-10-2022, 06:48 PM
Dunkley can accept our contract at any time he likes, until he's signed to another club. He would have to nominate himself into the PSD at the end of his contract which from memory all fall at the end of October (or thereabout). I haven't read the rules in a while, but I think he can nominate for the National Draft with a figure on his head. But with Ashcroft and Fletcher, there's no way he slips down far enough for Brisbane to live trade their 2023 First to sign him at the ND. Shame. And we could end up in any state. Shame.

When Jack Martin had to do the same thing a few years ago, GCS were still trying to convince him to stay until his contract expired and he nominated himself in the PSD.

Problem for Dunks is that there's zero chance he can get to Brisbane in the PSD. Shame. North are struggling to pay the minimum required under the cap, Dunks could put $1,000,000 a season on his head and North should and would pick him up.

Me thinks he and Pickering might be hitting the phones over the weekend to avoid this blowing up in their faces. Shame.

Thanks BT

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 06:49 PM

Do we have to accept it though? They chased him all year and have put in a massive financial offer for his services but effectively want us to accept 50 cents in the dollar for a B&F winner and premiership player in the prime of his career.
Accepting 85 or 90 cents in the dollar is a compromise most could accept but 50 cents in the dollar is something we should walk away from.

They've had plenty of options available too them to get a reasonable offer in front of us but have clearly disrespected the process.

I've been very open to a compromised deal because a decent 1st rounder this year and a decent 2nd rounder next year might have been the best we could get and we could all walk away happy enough. The Lions offer was just flipping us the bird.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 06:53 PM
Points do mean little, but pick 30 simply should not be discarded.

Agree, I wouldn't have done that deal I thought it was a reasonable first offer.
Take out 30, im listening a bit harder.

DOG GOD
06-10-2022, 06:55 PM
Do we have to accept it though? They chased him all year and have put in a massive financial offer for his services but effectively want us to accept 50 cents in the dollar for a B&F winner and premiership player in the prime of his career.
Accepting 85 or 90 cents in the dollar is a compromise most could accept but 50 cents in the dollar is something we should walk away from.

They've had plenty of options available too them to get a reasonable offer in front of us but have clearly disrespected the process.

I've been very open to a compromised deal because a decent 1st rounder this year and a decent 2nd rounder next year might have been the best we could get and we could all walk away happy enough. The Lions offer was just flipping us the bird.

Bris are hinging their bets that the dogs won’t send dunks to the PSD..they are expecting us to fold under pressure, and the way it stands right now, we will not get the deal we were hoping for. Once 15 disappeared off the table, they showed their true hand.

SonofScray
06-10-2022, 06:56 PM
Brisbane haven’t dealt with us in good faith. Let him walk or stay or another year.

Rocco Jones
06-10-2022, 06:58 PM
Brisbane haven’t dealt with us in good faith. Let him walk or stay or another year.

It's the issue I have with the AFL trading system. Self-regulation, good faith...it's all a deck of cards.

Every time a player requests a trade, it's to only one club.

DOG GOD
06-10-2022, 07:02 PM
The clubs have all the power to draft a player…but once that player IS drafted, they hold all the power…something has to change. If player X is in Perth and wants to go back home to Victoria, then they should say I want to go back to Victoria…not I want to go to Richmond. Same for every state.

jazzadogs
06-10-2022, 07:05 PM
Brisbane are trying to use their father sons to comprehensively win the trade with that initial offer.

Picks 30 and 39 this year are equivalent to pick 16. So although they trade away pick 15, they weren't going to use it anyway and getting those two means they break even with points - clear positive for them, and in isolation we would take a trade of 15 for 30 and 39. So that all has nothing to do with Dunkley IMO

Then they want Dunkley and a future 3rd (likely 40s) for a future first (likely 15-18).

It's not a serious offer.

His trade value is clear, based on past precedent right up to Taranto's deal earlier this week. Two first round draft picks, nothing back. If you don't have the draft picks, then give a first round pick equivalent player.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 07:12 PM
Brisbane are trying to use their father sons to comprehensively win the trade with that initial offer.

Picks 30 and 39 this year are equivalent to pick 16. So although they trade away pick 15, they weren't going to use it anyway and getting those two means they break even with points - clear positive for them, and in isolation we would take a trade of 15 for 30 and 39. So that all has nothing to do with Dunkley IMO

Then they want Dunkley and a future 3rd (likely 40s) for a future first (likely 15-18).

His trade value is clear, based on past precedent right up to Taranto's deal earlier this week. Two first round draft picks, nothing back. If you don't have the draft picks, then give a first round pick equivalent player.

That's a good explain.

If anyone thinks the Brisbane offer was fair after reading that I will politely ask EW to send HD to the Yarraville nets to explain further why it's not

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 07:13 PM

Well he doesn't want to play for us, and hasn't for a while really so we have to accept that part.
We also have to accept he wants to go to the Lions.
I respect your point, however I believe if we can walk away with two first rounders for a little going back thats a solid deal.

People get too caught up with the points system, it's not relevant.
Think 2 x first rounders. 2 x Cody Weightman, 2 x Tim English not 2000 points.

Agree though you never accept the first offer. I thought it was a good starting point, don't think it was flipping the bird although that made me laugh!

jeemak
06-10-2022, 07:15 PM
That's a good explain.

If anyone thinks the Brisbane offer was fair after reading that I will politely ask EW to send HD to the Yarraville nets to explain further why it's not

He's already set up a kiosk, such is the frequency of nets level behaviour around here of late.

AshMac
06-10-2022, 07:15 PM
West Coast have pick 2. Wouldn't be surprised if Robertson might go back home. Pick 2 is split and we are in the mix somehow.

Surely they have to throw in a sweetener for pick 2

Also - don’t split it, pick 2 for Dunkley is ok w me 😀

AshMac
06-10-2022, 07:18 PM
Well he doesn't want to play for us, and hasn't for a while really so we have to accept that part.
We also have to accept he wants to go to the Lions.
I respect your point, however I believe if we can walk away with two first rounders for a little going back thats a solid deal.

Agree though you never accept the first offer. I thought it was a good starting point, don't think it was flipping the bird although that made me laugh!

I reckon their offer was an insult - it’s way unders for a player of his calibre. We know he is that calibre because they’re offering him 750 for 6 years

Points aside it’s about his value.

I think one top 10 pick or 2 first rounders (which is mid-late) teens in my book is about right.

Rocco Jones
06-10-2022, 07:27 PM

Spot on as always my man.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 07:27 PM

Are they?

Which would you prefer?

Theyre equivalent in the points index which is used to place currency against picks but we all know which is worth more.

Or am I heading to the nets?

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 07:38 PM
I reckon their offer was an insult - it’s way unders for a player of his calibre. We know he is that calibre because they’re offering him 750 for 6 years

Points aside it’s about his value.

I think one top 10 pick or 2 first rounders (which is mid-late) teens in my book is about right.

Yep fair.

I'll guess I'll just have to accept that I'm not always right ;)

To recap :

- Reasonable first offer which included 2 x first round picks, the work to get that to a reasonable area would've been around the picks, remove 30 for eg and get something back if we had someone in mind late in the second round.
If anyone expected us to accept that they've had too much sun. But that's how deals start.

- Dunkley has chosen the Lions and therefore made it very difficult to get a deal any supporter is going to be happy with. Unfortunately true.

-Enough with the points already they're irrelevant to us this season. Pick 45 and 50 are worth 25, I don't really care unless we are doing a pick swap to downgrade or we need points for academy/FS. Put away your calculators nerds!

As I've previously said, a second and a first will get it done.

A bit of work with that initial offer and we get close to that.

Seeya at the nets and *!*!*!*! Dunks.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 07:39 PM
Are they?

Which would you prefer?

Theyre equivalent in the points index which is used to place currency against picks but we all know which is worth more.

Or am I heading to the nets?

The reality is they're worth what teams decide they're worth and since we want to trade for Lobb and need to at least draft 3 players both of those picks are valuable to us. If we traded both of them away with nothing coming back Freo would be just as justified saying we're not trading in good faith as we are saying it to Brisbane.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 07:42 PM
Apparently reported that Sam told Brisbane to keep 15. They chose not to.

1eyedog
06-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Thanks … And the second part to the question?

If Dunkley is unsigned he can agree to a new contract with us between the trade period and the PSD.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 07:45 PM
Apparently reported that Sam told Brisbane to keep 15. They chose not to.

Their priority is the f/s it makes sense when that GWS deal came up.
Look they gave it a crack knowing we'd say no and they had a plan B (gws) to bank an extra 900 ish.

ratsmac
06-10-2022, 07:47 PM
Rayner will be playing in the RWB next season. I reckon they are quietly willing to trade Rayner. Why come out publicly and say he's not going anywhere? There is no need to do that, he hasn't asked to be traded. I think they said that because if Rayner finds out that they may have offered him up and a deal can't be made he gets disgruntled. Come out publicly like they did and he feels like he's a required player, no harm done. ;)

With no player involved this deal won't get done unless we roll over

1eyedog
06-10-2022, 07:48 PM
Bris are hinging their bets that the dogs won’t send dunks to the PSD..they are expecting us to fold under pressure, and the way it stands right now, we will not get the deal we were hoping for. Once 15 disappeared off the table, they showed their true hand.

I'm not sure why Brisvegas would think that when we snubbed our noses at an even better offer from Essendon last year. I have no doubt Sam will hold firm. My concern is Bevo's love for Dunks and not wanting to see him in limbo indefinately.

Where we need a strong Chris Grant.

Bevo legit needs a leash sometimes hoping Lade can temper the Lion. Problem is when you win a flag 62 years after the last one the guy who did that pretty much has the keys to the club for like, forever. That's fine Bevo just get us another one and we all good.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 07:52 PM
How could we have potentially brought in Lobb without picks 30 and 37 and a future 3rd?

1eyedog
06-10-2022, 07:55 PM
Rayner will be playing in the RWB next season. I reckon they are quietly willing to trade Rayner. Why come out publicly and say he's not going anywhere? There is no need to do that, he hasn't asked to be traded. I think they said that because if Rayner finds out that they may have offered him up and a deal can't be made he gets disgruntled. Come out publicly like they did and he feels like he's a required player, no harm done. ;)

Cannot for the life of me see how we don't get Rayner now. I mean we are clearly hunting him and he has in principle said yes to coming home. Brisvegas need to posture and look like they're relenting at the 11th hour.

Rayner standing next to Naughton would be sick.

This is my dream.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 07:56 PM
How could we have potentially brought in Lobb without picks 30 and 37 and a future 3rd?

We could split one of the Dunks picks and use that?

Totally agree re that initial offer, my thoughts were it was a reasonable first offer (not that I'd take it), I think woof has spoken though and it's the nets for me :)

Can HD punch through multiple layers of subcutaneous shielding?

jazzadogs
06-10-2022, 07:56 PM

I think the points are relevant in this trade, because they form the bulk of Brisbane's strategy.

We still need currency for Lobb, and we want to draft at least 3 players. Giving up 30 and 39 is an unnecessary hit when Brisbane are already receiving Dunkley.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 07:58 PM
I think the points are relevant in this trade, because they form the bulk of Brisbane's strategy.

We still need currency for Lobb, and we want to draft at least 3 players. Giving up 30 and 39 is an unnecessary hit when Brisbane are already receiving Dunkley.

Yep I wouldn't give up 30.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 07:59 PM
Cannot for the life of me see how we don't get Rayner now. I mean we are clearly hunting him and he has in principle said yes to coming home. Brisvegas need to posture and look like they're relenting at the 11th hour.

This is my dream.

Welcome to the Western Bulldogs : Cameron Rayner?

Start the thread 1ED.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2022, 07:59 PM

This is my dream.

What's his contract status?

I still can't see them coughing up Rayner + isn't it a sideways move for them then getting Dunks? Different if he too wanted to leave but he seems happy.

I hope I'm wrong - I'd *!*!*!*!ing love Rayner.

1eyedog
06-10-2022, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the Western Bulldogs : Cameron Rayner?

Start the thread 1ED.

Let's let this play out for another 48 hours and then I'm on it.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 08:05 PM

Say Dunkley goes. We have the $650,000 offered to him gone. Add to that if Hunter if traded and/or Lobb doesn’t come.

Last time this good (or close) of a player requested a trade under contract, we threw that cash at a kid beyond what GWS could ever pay Boyd. So we could a lot worse than use the same strategy. Rayner (as an example or another player), offer him more than Brisbane can factoring in new salaries for Dunkley & Gunston, and making sure they forward plan cash to retain Ashcroft and all their gun players. We are equally capable of offering a large and long contract for a good player. Would make a Rayner type at least think about their individual circumstances over just being a trade pawn.

Imagine the press hearing we’ve offered Rayner, a western jets boy, 6 years at $600,000+ and he’s now got a $3.6M+ decision to make. Imagine what Twitter would say that we’ve offered him that…

jazzadogs
06-10-2022, 08:07 PM
Yep I wouldn't give up 30.

I just don't think we give up anything. Asking for 3 decent picks back when you're only giving up late first rounders, for an elite AA squad midfielder entering the prime of his career - nah.

You're right that it's fine as an opening gambit, but to then trade away the centrepiece pick the next day shows that the trade is dead.

They're clearly going to try and now offer 21 and future first for Dunkley and less picks back - continuing to devalue him.

If Rayner is involved in the trade, I take it all back.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 08:09 PM

Totally agree re that initial offer, my thoughts were it was a reasonable first offer (not that I'd take it), I think woof has spoken though and it's the nets for me :)

You're like Mel Gibson wanting the kids from South Park to torture him.....

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 08:10 PM
This is Brisbane highest paid players, from my sources:

Harris Andrews $650,000 – $750,000

Hugh McCluggage $650,000 – $750,000

Charlie Cameron $700,000 – $800,000

Joe Daniher $750,000 – $850,000

Lachie Neale $800,000 – $900,000

They're adding in Gunston on a rumoured $500,000 and Dunkley on $750,000.

Cam Rayner is not being paid in the upper part of their salary cap. he will demand more as he develops into a match winner, heading into RFA in 2025. Rayner will get huge offers now, and especially more so as a 'pre-agent' in 2024 and RFA in 2025. So jumping ahead now with our big cash offer, in only really a touch early and we have the trade capital to make it happen right now. Food for thought for the kid.

soupman
06-10-2022, 08:20 PM
100% we should be offering Rayner something decent. We should be doing thsi shit all the time. Rayner is probably not gonna ask for a trade us, but if we are offering him $600K a season he's well within his rights to tell Brisbane that he wants more than what he's getting now to stay. I mean they clearly have the cash if they were considering Bowes, so he'll get something close to it.

Best case scenario he asks to come to us, worst case it forces Brisbane to pay more which makes a competitor less able to improe themselves and hopefully squeezes someone else out down the track.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 08:21 PM

It's net season. I think we're all getting a session in before trade 'week' is over

hujsh
06-10-2022, 08:24 PM
FWIW I read Bigfooty this time of year purely for trade rumours and someone thinks they spotted Dunkley at the gate for a flight to Canberra.

Is it true? Who knows?

Is it some BF inside joke or joke poster I'm not aware of? Entirely possible.

But that's the risk I take this time of year and now I'm inflicting my disease on all of you by sharing it.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 08:28 PM
Oh and while I'm pouring gasoline here's this

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/06/brisbane-ends-rayner-speculation-and-the-exit-meeting-message-to-daniher/

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 08:33 PM
You're like Mel Gibson wanting the kids from South Park to torture him.....

Hahahaaaa. I love that episode.

They want their money back for Passion Of The Christ.

Gibson portrayed as a complete nutcase when they go to his house.

Edit :

This

https://youtu.be/jnMxPVER97Q

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2022, 08:36 PM

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/06/brisbane-ends-rayner-speculation-and-the-exit-meeting-message-to-daniher/

The line about having to 'convince' Rayner they haven't had conversations about it is weird.

If Power pulls this off, knight the man.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 08:36 PM

A strong denial (and 3-4 meetings) of something which hasn’t allegedly happened…

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2022, 08:43 PM
The line about having to 'convince' Rayner they haven't had conversations about it is weird.

If Power pulls this off, knight the man.

This has Tom Boyd written all over it.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 08:48 PM
This has Tom Boud written all over it.

Mate!

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 08:51 PM
Mate!

Makes more sense if you Google it:

THOMAS J BOUD. Adjunct Instructor, Family And Preventive Medicine, The University of Utah

Exactly written all over it like that.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 08:53 PM
Hahahaaaa. I love that episode.

They want their money back for Passion Of The Christ.

Gibson portrayed as a complete nutcase when they go to his house.

Edit :

This

https://youtu.be/jnMxPVER97Q

The pirouette that kicks it all off gets me every time.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 08:54 PM
Makes more sense if you Google it:

THOMAS J BOUD. Adjunct Instructor, Family And Preventive Medicine, The University of Utah

Exactly written all over it like that.

It's the first I've seen of BT&T for a while, great reignition.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 08:56 PM
It's the first I've seen of BT&T for a while, great reignition.

Is Gary, playing Jake & Elwood putting the band back together? Or the Dunkley effect?

Good to see you BT&T.

kruder
06-10-2022, 09:04 PM
Do people think we will accept pick 21 and a future first?

jeemak
06-10-2022, 09:06 PM
Is Gary, playing Jake & Elwood putting the band back together? Or the Dunkley effect?

Good to see you BT&T.

I'm not even sure you're not all the same person and it's the reason why Danjul has quietened down outside of posting in a dedicated Schache thread......

:cool:

Good to have a lot of old faces back, to be honest.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 09:09 PM
From DPRK State News:

Tim Taranto's trade price for his move from Greater Western Sydney to Richmond – which cost the Tigers picks 12 and 19 – could set the level for the Dogs. With the Lions predicted to again be in the premiership race next year and with potentially two first-round Academy bids shaping next season, that pick would be expected to be between 15-20.

With Brisbane's hand of selections now skinnier, the Bulldogs could enquire about Lions players to form part of the deal. Whilst established players would be unlikely to make any move, the Dogs could look at younger players recently drafted who are of first-round value.

Brisbane, however, is not prepared to deal players to land Dunkley.

If a deal is not reached, Dunkley would have to head into the pre-season draft in his bid to get to Brisbane, but Lions football boss Danny Daly said on Thursday the club was confident it would reach an agreement.

"We feel like we're on track to get the deal done at some stage, but out of respect for the Dogs I can't go into what that looks like at the minute. We're working towards that at the minute and hopefully it will all be ticked off in the next few days or so," Daly told AFL Trade Radio.

azabob
06-10-2022, 09:11 PM
I'm not even sure you're not all the same person and it's the reason why Danjul has quietened down outside of posting in a dedicated Schache thread......

:cool:

Good to have a lot of old faces back, to be honest.

I don’t know man, GG gave Danjul a run for his money in his adamant defence we stuffed up the Dunkley trade and not Brisbane.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 09:12 PM
So Lions won’t trade players... And have told Rayner 3-4 times they’re not floating his name up…

Dogs seeking a younger player of first round value. With plenty of cash to spare.

jazzadogs
06-10-2022, 09:19 PM
Do people think we will accept pick 21 and a future first?

I think we would accept that, and I think 15 and future 1st for Dunkley alone would have been our counter offer initially. I would view 21 + F1st as a disappointing result.

bornadog
06-10-2022, 09:28 PM
Josh Dunkley showdown looms as Bulldogs play hard ball (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/josh-dunkley-showdown-as-western-bulldogs-play-hard-ball-20221006-p5bnt5.html)

The Western Bulldogs are prepared to send their best and fairest winner Josh Dunkley into the pre-season draft if the Brisbane Lions don’t offer a suitable deal for the 25-year-old midfielder.

The club’s list management committee has agreed to the shock move that could leave them empty-handed after the Lions traded out pick 15 in a pick swap with the Giants on Wednesday, scuppering the chances of them landing Dunkley in exchange for selection 15 and a future first round pick.

The Lions did that deal after the Bulldogs refused to send later picks to the Lions along with Dunkley in exchange for two first round draft picks.

A Bulldogs’ source said the club would be prepared to cop the inevitable fallout and pick Dunkley up in the pre-season draft if he was still available at that stage rationalising the move on the basis it would deny a likely finals’ competitor a gun midfielder.

The Bulldogs are not prepared to accept merely a future first round selection for the premiership player and will turn their attention to attempting to poach a Lions player along with a future first round pick if the Lions cannot find a way to satisfy their demands.

A source close to the negotiations said the Lions were preparing to offer pick 21 and a future first rounder for Dunkley, however a Brisbane spokesperson told The Age the club was “insistent on not playing the negotiations out in public”.

The Bulldogs are not interested in Rhys Mathieson who is exploring his options but could enquire about emerging players on the Lions’ list.

The hardline stance from the Bulldogs is likely to accelerate the Lions’ thinking as they prioritise getting a deal done for Jack Gunston before turning their attention to Dunkley with six days still remaining before the trade deadline.

The Lions were courting Dunkley from midway through the season with the midfielder nominating the Lions soon after they bowed out of the premiership race in the preliminary final. The Lions offered a long-term deal for Dunkley to support brilliant midfielder Lachie Neale with the Bulldogs, who also offered him a long-term deal, disappointed to lose him.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 09:35 PM
The media love being used like this, it's the perfect circle.

Do they really think this external pressure makes any difference? Will the Lions take any notice?

Twodogs
06-10-2022, 09:36 PM
What are the contract length rules for players in the PSD? I think that players in the ND have a minimum 2 year contract. If we walk Dunks to the PSD can he name the contract length that he wants?

I guess what I'm getting at is would Dunks be tied to North for two years if they took him in the PSD? Thats be pretty funny. Ironic even!

jeemak
06-10-2022, 09:40 PM
I think we would accept that, and I think 15 and future 1st for Dunkley alone would have been our counter offer initially. I would view 21 + F1st as a disappointing result.

Everyone assumes Brisbane is going to be "up there" again next year.

How many teams can be though? You've got ourselves, Freo, Melbourne, Collingwood, Sydney, Richmond, Geelong and Carlton who have claims on also being "up there" next year. It might actually be Brisbane's time to fall back a peg.

azabob
06-10-2022, 09:40 PM
What are the contract length rules for players in the PSD? I think that players in the ND have a minimum 2 year contract. If we walk Dunks to the PSD can he name the contract length that he wants?

I guess what I'm getting at is would Dunks be tied to North for two years if they took him in the PSD? Thats be pretty funny. Ironic even!

Pre season draft the player names their terms down to the $ per year.

PSD isn’t an option for Dunkley

Rocco Jones
06-10-2022, 09:43 PM

I believe only one year and you can re-negotiate.

The trading system is so dependent on self-regulation and good faith. I am not one to assume either. In effect, I believe Dunkley could put a figure of $1.2m on his head for one year, then change the contract as soon as he gets there. The Lions would have to have the space though. Not sure the scope for them to play around with their cap with back ended deals to create the space.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 09:46 PM
Josh Dunkley showdown looms as Bulldogs play hard ball (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/josh-dunkley-showdown-as-western-bulldogs-play-hard-ball-20221006-p5bnt5.html)

The Western Bulldogs are prepared to send their best and fairest winner Josh Dunkley into the pre-season draft if the Brisbane Lions don’t offer a suitable deal for the 25-year-old midfielder.

The club’s list management committee has agreed to the shock move that could leave them empty-handed after the Lions traded out pick 15 in a pick swap with the Giants on Wednesday, scuppering the chances of them landing Dunkley in exchange for selection 15 and a future first round pick.

The Lions did that deal after the Bulldogs refused to send later picks to the Lions along with Dunkley in exchange for two first round draft picks.

A Bulldogs’ source said the club would be prepared to cop the inevitable fallout and pick Dunkley up in the pre-season draft if he was still available at that stage rationalising the move on the basis it would deny a likely finals’ competitor a gun midfielder.

The Bulldogs are not prepared to accept merely a future first round selection for the premiership player and will turn their attention to attempting to poach a Lions player along with a future first round pick if the Lions cannot find a way to satisfy their demands.

A source close to the negotiations said the Lions were preparing to offer pick 21 and a future first rounder for Dunkley, however a Brisbane spokesperson told The Age the club was “insistent on not playing the negotiations out in public”.

The Bulldogs are not interested in Rhys Mathieson who is exploring his options but could enquire about emerging players on the Lions’ list.

The hardline stance from the Bulldogs is likely to accelerate the Lions’ thinking as they prioritise getting a deal done for Jack Gunston before turning their attention to Dunkley with six days still remaining before the trade deadline.

The Lions were courting Dunkley from midway through the season with the midfielder nominating the Lions soon after they bowed out of the premiership race in the preliminary final. The Lions offered a long-term deal for Dunkley to support brilliant midfielder Lachie Neale with the Bulldogs, who also offered him a long-term deal, disappointed to lose him.

Imagine how hard this is for #Branddunks to deal with. Mentioned in the same trade communique as Mathieson and clearly placed secondary to Gunston on the list of trade period priorities, and third overall (after draft points).

It's not how the trade of the century was supposed to go down, at all.

soupman
06-10-2022, 09:47 PM

The trading system is so dependent on self-regulation and good faith. I am not one to assume either. In effect, I believe Dunkley could put a figure of $1.2m on his head for one year, then change the contract as soon as he gets there. The Lions would have to have the space though. Not sure the scope for them to play around with their cap with back ended deals to create the space.

Can't imagine the likes of North and Essendon couldn't accommodate either.

Rocco Jones
06-10-2022, 09:50 PM
Can't imagine the likes of North and Essendon couldn't accommodate either.

Issue is, Dunkley would not re-negotiate terms of deal with them. So they'd be paying an enormous amount for one year.

kruder
06-10-2022, 09:53 PM
This Rayner talk is getting interesting wonder if we are looking at a straight swap? Or looking to add a sweetener.

Cam has done a knee and I would say has underperformed so far as a number 1 pick. The talent is obvious and has further upside than Dunks but he is aint a premiership player or a best and fairest winner yet.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2022, 09:58 PM
Mate!

Well..... that's enough proof that my posting skills are a tad rusty.

How embarrassing. My return may have been a bit hasty

WBFC4FFC
06-10-2022, 09:59 PM
This Rayner talk is getting interesting wonder if we are looking at a straight swap? Or looking to add a sweetener.

Cam has done a knee and I would say has underperformed so far as a number 1 pick. The talent is obvious and has further upside than Dunks but he is aint a premiership player or a best and fairest winner yet.

Has the potential to be as good a Half-Forward since Paul Hudson and Brett Montgomery if he comes.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 10:02 PM

How embarrassing. My return may have been a bit overdue

Fixed.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 10:06 PM

You're nearly at my levels of cynicism Rocco.

*shatner staccato on* Save. Yourself. Pull back. From. The Edge.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 10:07 PM
Issue is, Dunkley would not re-negotiate terms of deal with them. So they'd be paying an enormous amount for one year.

But then they trade him for a first rounder and second rounder. Turned a PSD pick into a first rounder and second rounder in the ND and got a years effort. Pretty good return considering Bowes is Pick 7 for $1.5M.

But that’s going way into the weeds.

Rocco Jones
06-10-2022, 10:09 PM
You're nearly at my levels of cynicism Rocco.

*shatner staccato on* Save. Yourself. Pull back. From. The Edge.

Hahaha. Look, I really dislike relying on self-regulation/'good faith'.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 10:10 PM
Hahaha. Look, I really dislike relying on self-regulation/'good faith'.

Yet you run a FB page with how many followers?

Rocco Jones
06-10-2022, 10:10 PM
But then they trade him for a first rounder and second rounder. Turned a PSD pick into a first rounder and second rounder in the ND and got a years effort. Pretty good return considering Bowes is Pick 7 for $1.5M.

But that’s going way into the weeds.

Yep. If Dunkley went too far north of $1m even the AFL would step in integrity wise.

Rocco Jones
06-10-2022, 10:12 PM
Yet you run a FB page with how many followers?

I ban anyone that disagrees with me.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 10:17 PM

How embarrassing. My return may have been a bit hasty

Practice is the only way to get rid of the rust. Some of us are still practicing and hoping that rust comes off after weeks, months even years of posting. 15 years in and I'm still rusty

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 10:30 PM
Jeemak. Honest question. When you started this did you think we’d get 3,228 posts and we’d still be no closer to actually trading him?

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2022, 10:32 PM

Good to see you BT&T.

It's good to see some familiar names back posting again. Nothing like a spicy trade season to get the forum motor going at full rpm. Although I'd never have associated Dunkley with anything spicy, including his mission burritos.

The lions are abusing the afls trade "system". Dunkley and his stupidity aside, i hope we can turn this into a sort of Tom Boyd Ryan Griffen outcome. That did wonders for us.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 10:36 PM
It's good to see some familiar names back posting again. Nothing like a spicy trade season to get the forum motor going at full rpm. Although I'd never have associated Dunkley with anything spicy, including his mission burritos.

The lions are abusing the afls trade "system". Dunkley and his stupidity aside, i hope we can turn this into a sort of Tom Boyd Ryan Griffen outcome. That did wonders for us.

Great to have you back BT&T.
You've been missed.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 10:37 PM
Practice is the only way to get rid of the rust. Some of us are still practicing and hoping that rust comes off after weeks, months even years of posting. 15 years in and I'm still rusty

This is all NPCs but me right?

It's a bloody clever simulation, I'd never act like this is real life.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 10:40 PM

That is very much up to us. Griffen walked first. They didn’t see the Tom Boyd angle until it was too late. The lesson was put out a very juicy contract to a good player, get them wanting out to us and then have some fun with it. Hopefully we’ve done that, we’re doing/done a medical and then talk turkey.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 10:48 PM
From the Age (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/josh-dunkley-showdown-as-western-bulldogs-play-hard-ball-20221006-p5bnt5.html)

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2022, 10:49 PM
That is very much up to us. Griffen walked first. They didn’t see the Tom Boyd angle until it was too late. The lesson was put out a very juicy contract to a good player, get them wanting out to us and then have some fun with it. Hopefully we’ve done that, we’re doing/done a medical and then talk turkey.

Anyone know what players up at the lions Pickering manages? If he wants Dunkley at brisbane maybe he'll start sussing out who'd like to come down to us.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 10:49 PM
Jeemak. Honest question. When you started this did you think we’d get 3,228 posts and we’d still be no closer to actually trading him?

I voted for Pablo.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 10:53 PM
This is all NPCs but me right?

It's a bloody clever simulation, I'd never act like this is real life.

https://media.tenor.com/S-bSCCuQG2MAAAAC/my-man-rick-and-morty.gif

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 10:54 PM

It's a bloody good point we really are no closer after years!

Classic. Can we keep it open even if he does move?

Really has sentimental value now.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 10:56 PM
It's a bloody good point we really are no closer after years!

Classic. Can we keep it open even if he does move?

Really has sentimental value now.

Hopefully Rayner accepts the offer and we can drive this hime with one headlight to 4,000 posts!

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 11:01 PM
https://media.tenor.com/S-bSCCuQG2MAAAAC/my-man-rick-and-morty.gif

Me realising the "user" named Hujsh has become sentient.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1USKMDPjuH4ovL7J5h/giphy.gif

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 11:02 PM
I voted for Pablo.

Pedro right?

I really think Bailey got that wrong.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 11:02 PM
Hopefully Rayner accepts the offer and we can drive this hime with one headlight to 4,000 posts!

I'm hoping Dunkley signs a one year deal extension with us so that we can the can all start focusing on his FA compensation :)

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 11:03 PM
I'm hoping Dunkley signs a one year deal extension with us so that we can the can all start focusing on his FA compensation :)

Could we do the farewell all over again? Haha. Why not life's for living.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 11:04 PM
Could we do the farewell all over again? Haha. Why not life's for living.

The plan is to call him Farnsy and give him a few more more send offs.

jeemak
06-10-2022, 11:05 PM

An honest answer - I thought it was a good discussion point on a topic that was actually made harder at the time by recruiting Treloar after the fact.

Treloar turned out to be a point of difference - and could have been the one I was looking for. But turned out to be another mouth to feed because we didn't end up trading Dunkley. I historically called out Dunkley as "the freak" around here, because he got into the right places and kicked goals, but more and more our midfield became "samey" so I picked him out of the three (bigger) insiders we had in lieu of my love for Bont and Jacko. Those guys were untouchable to me at the time, and still are with the way they can cut sides to ribbons when their feet are working properly.

In the thousands of posts I've had Jason Statham (AKA Chef) call for bashings, I've seen optimism, hate and everything on the poster spectrum throughout and still the original question is agonising to me because WE wouldn't ever trade Dunkley, he wants to leave but maybe never will because a trade can't be facilitated.

It's been a really funny journey to be honest. Not wanting to make too much of it, but, something with this longevity should have been solved a long time ago.......

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 11:05 PM

Likely restricted free agent though. Do we match the bid and trade or accept the compo???

jeemak
06-10-2022, 11:07 PM
Pedro right?

I really think Bailey got that wrong.

Pedro. My autocorrect is set to racist.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 11:11 PM
Anyone know what players up at the lions Pickering manages? If he wants Dunkley at brisbane maybe he'll start sussing out who'd like to come down to us.

I can't see anyone BTT. Having said that the list is out dated.
http://www.pseg.com.au/afl-players

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 11:41 PM
Who fits the players ‘bulldogs consider a first round value’? That’s actually addresses a need?

If Robertson isn’t likely to go to Victoria, and Wilmott is not interested. Can’t see decent KPP’s they’d trade.

So surplus to need, and something to our needs:

Rayner obviously. The other maybe Lohmann who was selected end of first round last? (Arguably still holding first round value) A Ballarat boy who doesn’t appear to have extended his contract with other draftees earlier this year, including Wilmott. Would he pair well with Weightman?

bornadog
06-10-2022, 11:45 PM
From the Age (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/josh-dunkley-showdown-as-western-bulldogs-play-hard-ball-20221006-p5bnt5.html).

Refer post #3204 ;)

bornadog
06-10-2022, 11:48 PM
Who fits the players ‘bulldogs consider a first round value’? That’s actually addresses a need?

If Robertson isn’t likely to go to Victoria, and Wilmott is not interested. Can’t see decent KPP’s they’d trade.

Rayner obviously. The other maybe Lohmann who was selected end of first round last? (Arguably still holding first round value) A Ballarat boy who doesn’t appear to have extended his contract with other draftees earlier this year, including Wilmott. Would he pair well with Weightman?

Payne goes ok as a decent KPP

bulldogtragic
07-10-2022, 12:04 AM
Payne goes ok as a decent KPP

Would they let a good one go? They can more easily cover a mid or forward.

bornadog
07-10-2022, 12:19 AM
Would they let a good one go? They can more easily cover a mid or forward.

They do have a few talls down back.

Swoop
07-10-2022, 12:36 AM
I don't feel like Payne is the answer.

jeemak
07-10-2022, 12:59 AM

A good suggestion but a quick web search on him will show you he's probably going to want to get some of that love he got in his debut. For some reason it was a massive deal on TV when it happened.

Outside of a general view that anyone who improves our list should be on our radar at all times (you know, not letting perfection get in the way of improvement) a pairing with Weightman (who I really rate) should be someone with more ground nous and less prone to getting involved in aerial contests.

We seem allergic to recruiting who we need in that area of the ground when we should with later/ rookie picks.

Rayner's the guy. If you were going to pick someone who isn't the above to pair with Weightman and take some turns up the ground then he's the one you want. I was hoping to find a forward that was a bit more dangerous in the air and mobile as well, but that forward doesn't seem to be on the market (outside of shithead Greene - who isn't on the market but would be at $950k over five).

Weightman is usually our only true forward outside of JUH and Bruce when he is in form (he's a true galoot when not in form, thus won't be counted as a true forward!), another actual forward whatever the size would be awesome.

Scraggers
07-10-2022, 01:04 AM

That depends on what is the question? Like “do you have any kinks?” Pain would be a legitimate answer :cool:

jeemak
07-10-2022, 01:12 AM
That depends on what is the question? Like “do you have any kinks?” Pain would be a legitimate answer :cool:

Sick answer without context.

Grantysghost
07-10-2022, 07:55 AM
New thread title?

ReLoad
07-10-2022, 08:27 AM
Payne is Cordy Mk2.

His disposal will give you that coronary you’ve always wanted.

Hard pass.

Swoop
07-10-2022, 09:19 AM
I'm trying very hard to reserve judgement until the conclusion of the trade period but it is difficult trying to envision what Brisbane is going to do to get this deal done.

My frustration stems from the fact that Brisbane clearly rate Dunkley based on both the length and value of contract they've offered him. The onus is on Brisbane to get the deal done. I don't understand how they intend to get the deal done while they are unwilling to provide a player from their best 22 or adequate draft compensation in two first rounders.

Mofra
07-10-2022, 09:22 AM

That, or we've asked for him as some rumours suggest

Grantysghost
07-10-2022, 09:39 AM
I'm trying very hard to reserve judgement until the conclusion of the trade period but it is difficult trying to envision what Brisbane is going to do to get this deal done.

My frustration stems from the fact that Brisbane clearly rate Dunkley based on both the length and value of contract they've offered him. The onus is on Brisbane to get the deal done. I don't understand how they intend to get the deal done while they are unwilling to provide a player from their best 22 or adequate draft compensation in two first rounders.

My guess is they don't expect us to let him walk to the PSD, and the fact he's out of contract and we care for him will mean that in the end we will have to accept less than we want. So they know that part.

So do we, hence using the media last night to say guess what we will let him walk to the PSD.

So now ridiculously in my opinion it's down to a game of poker. Surely there's an easier way.

I'm with the Lions, they have the stronger hand, there's no way we walk away with nothing and players never change nominated club (or very very rarely) it happens 99 percent of the time.

It's interesting, also slightly juvenile.