PDA

View Full Version : Trade Dunkley

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

hujsh
26-10-2020, 05:38 PM
Most people earning that sort of income, are getting excellent tax advice to legally reduce their current tax bill.
Edit:: Sorry meant tax bill, not necessarily their taxable income.

Its not difficult nor illegal...
I just wish I had the sort of disposable income that enabled me to do it!

Yeah it can even be as simple as buying a few extra homes (sorry Twodogs) and getting all the tax breaks they bring (but I'm sure there's even more that I also am not in a position to take advantage of)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-10-2020, 05:45 PM
Yeah it can even be as simple as buying a few extra homes (sorry Twodogs) and getting all the tax breaks they bring (but I'm sure there's even more that I also am not in a position to take advantage of)

A good accountant can work wonders with a family trust set up too.

bornadog
26-10-2020, 05:51 PM
A good accountant can work wonders with a family trust set up too.

I don't know how players are paid, but I assume there would be restrictions imposed by the AFL - aren't they basically salaried, and there aren't too many things you can do, until you buy assets, or make investments and do some offsets there.

Axe Man
26-10-2020, 06:25 PM
I don't know how players are paid, but I assume there would be restrictions imposed by the AFL - aren't they basically salaried, and there aren't too many things you can do, until you buy assets, or make investments and do some offsets there.

You are correct BAD. There are Personal Services Income rules that prevent certain individuals (like professional sportspeople) simply splitting income (and therefore reducing their tax liability) through trust and company arrangements.

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 06:34 PM
I really doubt the majority of players are paying 45% on their earnings. The vast majority would be receiving financial advice to enable them to substantially reduce their taxable income.

I talked to a former player once and he indicated they can get some allowances with their Super and can average out their contracts because they typically have a shorter work life in the industry than many others. Property was a great option for them
The financial advice was essential to minimise the tax they pay. They spread it out over a longer period

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 06:35 PM
Most people earning that sort of income, are getting excellent tax advice to legally reduce their current tax bill.
Edit:: Sorry meant tax bill, not necessarily their taxable income.

Its not difficult nor illegal...
I just wish I had the sort of disposable income that enabled me to do it!

The old joke is someone goes to their accountant who proceeds to advise him that he doesn't have a tax problem he has an income problem

EasternWest
26-10-2020, 07:27 PM
The old joke is someone goes to their accountant who proceeds to advise him that he doesn't have a tax problem he has an income problem

That'd be a nice problem to have.

1eyedog
26-10-2020, 08:15 PM
And if its 700k on the books, you know there is some sort of sweetener, off the books type deal being offered as well (vehicles, property portfolio BS etc).

Dons small goods spokesman? Is that even their Sponsor anyway?

1eyedog
26-10-2020, 08:28 PM
That'd be a nice problem to have.

A good accountant can hide loads of money.

EasternWest
26-10-2020, 08:37 PM

I see. And how would I go about procuring said loads of money?

bornadog
26-10-2020, 09:10 PM

Playing AFL, and being on a salary limits your options. In the UK the players have been allowed to form companies and trusts and lower their tax to the company tax rate. Players can't do that here, so they will still pay a shit load of tax. There still some options here and there.

BTW, I am a CPA but not tax expert, but still know enough to be dangerous

Bulldog Joe
26-10-2020, 09:23 PM

Not really in the modern world.

You can do some legitimate things to create deductions and expenses can be paid in advance, but it is really deferring tax until your rate reduces.

Some structures around companies and trusts help, but it requires all the expenses to be deductible up front and the income from that to be split in some way. It is pretty marginal.

ledge
26-10-2020, 10:06 PM

You can do some legitimate things to create deductions and expenses can be paid in advance, but it is really deferring tax until your rate reduces.

Some structures around companies and trusts help, but it requires all the expenses to be deductible up front and the income from that to be split in some way. It is pretty marginal.

And if you want to throw it into super I think the max is only an extra 25000 a year.

1eyedog
26-10-2020, 10:13 PM

I guess it depends on what type if business you run and who works for you i.e. the number of family members. I run my own company, outdoors, part science part construction and can tax just about any purchase from accommodation.(holidays) to work vehicles, all my camping gear, my boat, office equipment etc. etc. it works out well at my end.

Axe Man
26-10-2020, 10:15 PM

I think you are confusing good and dodgy.

BTW, I am a CPA

Well there you go, so am I.

1eyedog
26-10-2020, 10:16 PM
I think you are confusing good and dodgy.

Oh yeah so I was.

Bulldog Joe
26-10-2020, 10:21 PM
And if you want to throw it into super I think the max is only an extra 25000 a year.

It is not even an extra. The SGC payments use most of that allowance.

Bulldog Joe
26-10-2020, 10:24 PM
I guess it depends on what type if business you run and who works for you i.e. the number of family members. I run my own company, outdoors, part science part construction and can tax just about any purchase from accommodation.(holidays) to work vehicles, all my camping gear, my boat, office equipment etc. etc. it works out well at my end.

Limited for footballers. Personal services income can't be split.

Lots more opportunities with a legitimate business.

Twodogs
26-10-2020, 11:42 PM
All those tax minimisation scenes died at the bottom of a harbour!

bornadog
27-10-2020, 12:03 AM

Oh yeah so I was.

Yeah I have my own business these days, and not in accounting anymore, just kept the membership up.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-10-2020, 12:32 AM
Yeah I have my own business these days, and not in accounting anymore, just kept the membership up.

Accounting related or something completely different?

bornadog
27-10-2020, 12:36 AM
Accounting related or something completely different?

Not accounting related as such - I work with large companies to reduce their costs.

Throughandthrough
27-10-2020, 10:04 AM
There actually is a special tax ruling that applies to high paid sportspeople in Australia

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-stars-to-pocket-tax-breaks-after-australian-taxation-office-ticks-off-image-rights-deal/news-story/73b33a7197aff1c60acaaeee77317fef

FL stars to pocket tax breaks after Australian Taxation Office ticks off image rights deal
Michael Warner, Herald Sun
February 10, 2015 9:00pm
AFL stars will pocket tax breaks on their football income under an image rights deal ticked off by the Australian Taxation Office.

Changes to the league’s player contract rules will allow players to divert up to 30 per cent of their club wages to a private company or trust.

Companies and trusts are subject to lower tax rates than the top personal income tax bracket of 49 cents in the $1.

A ranking system measuring on-field achievements including all-Australian selection, best and fairest results, Brownlow Medal placings, premierships and rising star nominations will be used to determine how much money a player can assign for the use of their image.

Fringe players can divert 5 per cent of their wages and middle-ranked players between 10 and 25 per cent.

Only first and second-year players, rookies and players on minimum salaries are ineligible.

Details of the arrangement sent to player agents by the AFL Players’ Association yesterday reveal a player earning $750,000-a-season will be permitted to direct $217,500 to a third-party image rights company where it will be subject to a lower tax rate.

A player earning $350,000 could allocate $52,500, paying full tax on $297,500.

The scheme starts this season.

“The Australian Taxation Office accepted and confirmed that a player is able to licence his image rights to a third party,” AFLPA executive Braden Stokes told agents in the letter.

“In all cases, the players must be able to demonstrate and if necessary satisfy the ATO that the valuation of his image is bona fide and commercially justifiable.

“The AFLPA and the AFL have had extensive and protracted discussions with the ATO on the industry proposal to put in place a methodology for apportioning a player’s contract income between on-field playing duties and for the use of the player’s name, likeness and image.”

Player agents were told an undisclosed AFL star, who recently negotiated a “major contract” with his club, was seeking a private ruling from the ATO.

A decision is expected in the coming months.

The letter to agents said the game’s biggest stars would be able “in limited circumstances” to divert even more than 30 per cent of their wage for the use of their image.

The new arrangement requires players to sign two separate contracts with their club — a player image rights contract and a standard player contract — and is in addition to the existing Additional Services Agreement system.

Players have been pushing for a fairer rewards scheme for the use of their images by industry stakeholders for several years.

THE BIG TAX GRAB
How AFL players become eligible for tax relief.

*Players allocated a number of points based on salary, age and career achievements.

*A player with 21 points can divert 30 per cent of his income to a company/trust where he pays a lower tax rate.

*Brownlow medallists, best-and-fairest winners and the top-ranked players at each club carry the most points.

RANKINGS SYSTEM
Points allocated. Proportion of total income that can be allocated to marketing activities.

0-5 5%

6-10 10%

11-15 15%

16-20 25%

21+ 30%\

EXAMPLES OF PLAYERS ELIGIBLE FOR MAXIMUM TAX RELIEF
Gary Ablett Jr

Multiple Brownlows (10pts), multiple best-and-fairests (10pts), all-Australian (2pts).

Chris Judd

Multiple Brownlows (10pts), multiple best-and-fairests (10pts), all-Australian (2pts).

Nick Riewoldt

Multiple best-and-fairests (10pts), all-Australian (2pts), St Kilda top-six player (10pts).

Jobe Watson

Brownlow (5pts), multiple best-and-fairests (10pts), Essendon top-six player (10pts).

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/In-detail/Occupation-and-industry-specific-guides/Professional-sportsperson---income-and-work-related-deductions/

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AFLPA-Professional-Sportsperson-Tax-Brief.pdf

Axe Man
27-10-2020, 10:15 AM
AFL trade news: Josh Dunkley is considering a long-term offer from Essendon after his midfield role diminished at the Dogs this year (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-trade-news-josh-dunkley-is-considering-a-longterm-offer-from-essendon-after-his-midfield-role-diminished-at-the-dogs-this-year/news-story/272e369b60ac7771ffa724591cdfc93b)

Josh Dunkley’s diminishing on-ball time, including an elimination final playing only 30 per cent in the midfield this year, is a key aspect of his dalliance with Essendon.

Western Bulldogs mid-forward Dunkley has been in Noosa over the weekend considering his future, with the Dogs emphatic they will not trade him under any circumstances.

Chief executive Ameet Bains has made it clear the Dogs will hold Dunkley to his contract, even if he officially declares a trade in coming days.

Over the entire season Dunkley played 14 per cent on the wing, 43 per cent in the midfield and 43 per cent as a small-forward.

But in the final he played 70 per cent forward and attended only five centre-bounces in a 13-possession, one-goal performance.

Dunkley was in the All-Australian squad of 40 and was the vice-captain of the AFLPA Under-22 side last year but missed the top-10 in the club’s best-and-fairest this season after only playing 12 games because of injury.

He also recorded hit-outs in seven of his dozen games as coach Luke Beveridge often played him as a ruckman while Tim English pushed forward.

Those kind of tactical tweaks are why Beveridge is renowned as a quality match-day coach but not all players want to be pushed from the midfield when their form there is so strong.

Dunkley is still rated elite for disposals, contested possessions, scoreboard impact and pressure but averaged only 18 possessions this year, down from 28 in 2019.

His brother Josh could be part of a package deal at Essendon after being delisted by the Demons, who took him last year as a mid-season draft selection.

A five-season offer from Essendon has given him much to consider as the trade period approaches next Wednesday.

If he did officially ask for a trade, the Dogs would need to consider the ramifications of holding him against his contract and what it did for player morale.

Essendon yesterday confirmed 2020 AFLCA assistant coach of the year Daniel Giansiracusa will move from the Dogs to the Bombers.

It is a coup for the club which is determined to give coach Ben Rutten considerable support after the teething issues of the 2019 season.

At the Dogs he worked in the club’s forward line before taking the club’s VFL team to the Grand Final.

Blake Caracella, James Kelly, Dan Jordan, Leigh Tudor and Cameron Roberts will join him on the coaching panel.

Bulldog4life
27-10-2020, 10:21 AM
Really keen to hear Adam Cooney's completely neutral take on a Bulldogs player moving over to Essendon.

I tweeted Coons to ask him has he been telling Dunks about the spongy floors at the Bummers. Alas no reply.

Happy Days
27-10-2020, 10:22 AM
The first sentence of that article broke my brain.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-10-2020, 10:23 AM
Far out these pro-Essendon media outlets are sickening. There is nothing in this article other than pure speculation.

"If he did officially ask for a trade, the Dogs would need to consider the ramifications of holding him against his contract and what it did for player morale."

I mean come on. I bet they were congratulating the bummers’ hard stance with Daniher last year.

Axe Man
27-10-2020, 10:24 AM
The first sentence of that article broke my brain.

How about when they mention Josh's brother, also named Josh?

jeemak
27-10-2020, 10:27 AM
Well, you know, there was some groundbreaking information shared that hadn't already been shared endlessly these past few days. Josh is in Noosa!

Happy Days
27-10-2020, 10:27 AM
Might be overly optimistic, but it has occurred to me that this is all 4D chess by Dunks to get his brother (Josh) onto a list again.

Axe Man
27-10-2020, 10:59 AM
Even if we were happy to let Josh go (which we clearly are not), it's going to be very tough for Essendon to get both the Caldwell and Dunkley deals done with the restrictions on trading their first round picks this year and next.

Daniher deal won't help Dons' Caldwell snag (https://www.afl.com.au/news/523039/inside-trading-free-agents-in-limbo-dons-first-round-pick-snag)

An end-of-first round compensation pick for free agent Joe Daniher would not count as one of the two first-round picks Essendon must use over a rolling four-year period at the NAB AFL Draft.

The AFL sent a memo to clubs on Monday reiterating rules on trading future picks, with the Bombers and Hawks the only clubs ineligible to offload their first picks although they can apply for an exception.

The rule exists to stop clubs from trading themselves into long-term list pain by continually moving out top picks.

It means the Bombers, who will be one of the busiest clubs in the trade period, will not be allowed to trade their first pick (No.6 overall) this year or next year's future pick until they get another one in, likely meaning that a deal for Giant Jye Caldwell will have to wait. They are also pursuing contracted Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley.

1eyedog
27-10-2020, 11:08 AM
Dodo really will be bringing a tooth pick to a knife fight this trade season.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Down at the Herald Sun

https://i.postimg.cc/x1gT02yS/Dunks.png (https://postimages.org/)

SquirrelGrip
27-10-2020, 11:21 AM
AFL trade news: Josh Dunkley is considering a long-term offer from Essendon after his midfield role diminished at the Dogs this year (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-trade-news-josh-dunkley-is-considering-a-longterm-offer-from-essendon-after-his-midfield-role-diminished-at-the-dogs-this-year/news-story/272e369b60ac7771ffa724591cdfc93b)

Over the entire season Dunkley played 14 per cent on the wing, 43 per cent in the midfield and 43 per cent as a small-forward.

But in the final he played 70 per cent forward and attended only five centre-bounces in a 13-possession, one-goal performance.

And how much time did Dustin Martin or Patrick Dangerfield play forward/midfield during the finals? Players should always play where best for the team, not where the player wants to play.

On a separate note, what are the Bummers proposing to pay Kyle? Maybe he is being offered $750K too (to be shared by the family)?

Twodogs
27-10-2020, 07:32 PM
How about when they mention Josh's brother, also named Josh?

Josh be elder and Josh the younger. I wonder what happened to Kyle though?

Actually maybe Essington got Kyle to change his name by deedpoll so they can tell their dickhead supporters that they recruited Josh Dunkley? "Hey, we never at any stage said which Josh Dunkley we wanted. Everyone just assumed it was the Bulldogs' Josh Dunkley"

And how much time did Dustin Martin or Patrick Dangerfield play forward/midfield during the finals? Players should always play where best for the team, not where the player wants to play.

Exactly. Coaches coach, players play.

ledge
27-10-2020, 07:43 PM
Is there any actual statements from either club about this, seems to be just reporters making up things .

EasternWest
27-10-2020, 07:52 PM
Josh be elder and Josh the younger. I wonder what happened to Kyle though?

Actually maybe Essington got Kyle to change his name by deedpoll so they can tell their dickhead supporters that they recruited Josh Dunkley? "Hey, we never at any stage said which Josh Dunkley we wanted. Everyone just assumed it was the Bulldogs' Josh Dunkley"

Dodo: "I told you we'd win trade week. Hashtag whatever it takes".

FrediKanoute
27-10-2020, 09:54 PM
Even if we were happy to let Josh go (which we clearly are not), it's going to be very tough for Essendon to get both the Caldwell and Dunkley deals done with the restrictions on trading their first round picks this year and next.

Daniher deal won't help Dons' Caldwell snag (https://www.afl.com.au/news/523039/inside-trading-free-agents-in-limbo-dons-first-round-pick-snag)

An end-of-first round compensation pick for free agent Joe Daniher would not count as one of the two first-round picks Essendon must use over a rolling four-year period at the NAB AFL Draft.

The AFL sent a memo to clubs on Monday reiterating rules on trading future picks, with the Bombers and Hawks the only clubs ineligible to offload their first picks although they can apply for an exception.

The rule exists to stop clubs from trading themselves into long-term list pain by continually moving out top picks.

It means the Bombers, who will be one of the busiest clubs in the trade period, will not be allowed to trade their first pick (No.6 overall) this year or next year's future pick until they get another one in, likely meaning that a deal for Giant Jye Caldwell will have to wait. They are also pursuing contracted Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley.

So what exactly will the Bummers be offering for Josh? The Daniher compo pick? Methinks that they have played a very good game of destabiliing the player, which will force us to either blink and fold or hold firm and probably up the ante with Josh. as good as Josh is, I don't think he is elite. Awkward kick, which means his primary disposal will always be his hands. If you compare him to "elite" mid/forwards - Dusty, Neale, Bont, Kelly, Coniglio, Dangerfield, Ablett.......they all hurt by foot and by covering the ground with pace/accelleration. He doesn't.

He is an important piece in our team and our leadership group. He is versatile. If he leaves, he makes room for Lippa, Westy, who will both move into Libba's shoes in a couple of years time. personally, I like Dunks and want him to stay, but I think we can cover him.

Dancin' Douggy
27-10-2020, 09:57 PM
I'm going to be sacreligeous here. Please don't burn me at the stake.

This story is starting to stink pretty bad. Look up in the sky and the vultures are circling. The jackals are hovering.

I don't like it but I'm slowly starting to think this deal is creeping closer and closer to actually happening.

But....... Is it something we can turn in to a positive. I love Dunks. I also loved Leon Cameron. I loved Ryenne Griffhorn. I loved Jake Stringer. I loved Adam Cooney.

But if we have to lose one person from our midfield who do you choose. Bont? Macrae? B.Smith? Libba? Hunter? West? (speculative)

If Dunks chooses to go.........and believe me, I hope he doesn't. But if he does........we have to turn it into a positive. Dunks is heart and soul. An inside mid beast. If we can turn that into outside skill and pace. That could be a silver lining?

And also it's HIS decision not like the Treloar scenario where he's being shunted out which has REALLY pissed off Collingwood supporters.

I will surmise by saying I hope Dunkley stays. But if he pulls that trigger. We need to turn it into a positive and I Think we can.

Inside muscle and dodgy kicking for outside pace and great foot skills is something I would welcome.

WBFC4FFC
27-10-2020, 10:55 PM
So what exactly will the Bummers be offering for Josh? The Daniher compo pick? Methinks that they have played a very good game of destabiliing the player, which will force us to either blink and fold or hold firm and probably up the ante with Josh. as good as Josh is, I don't think he is elite. Awkward kick, which means his primary disposal will always be his hands. If you compare him to "elite" mid/forwards - Dusty, Neale, Bont, Kelly, Coniglio, Dangerfield, Ablett.......they all hurt by foot and by covering the ground with pace/accelleration. He doesn't.

He is an important piece in our team and our leadership group. He is versatile. If he leaves, he makes room for Lippa, Westy, who will both move into Libba's shoes in a couple of years time. personally, I like Dunks and want him to stay, but I think we can cover him.

See what the Bummers are doing again, like they did with Stringer? The pick we want won't be available. Destabilising the player and then saying this is all we have to offer. Surely Dunks can see through this?!?!

Twodogs
27-10-2020, 11:16 PM

I disagree we will have to or even that we will blink. Essendon are evidently the ones who have made the running with Josh and it's them who have set of a sense of expectation among their supporter base. It's on them to make a trade happen and frankly I don't see what they have to offer that facilitates it. We just have to say "sorry butJosh has a two year contract to play football with us and we intend on enforcing it." and it's them who ends up looking a bit silly and with the enraged supporter base. And we know how entitled their supporters are. As far as they are concerned they have been promised Josh Dunkley and they will throw the toys out of the pram if they don't get him. That's not our problem.

We hold a flush, they have a pair of threes. Bottom line is Josh is contracted to us for two years. He's not going to sit out of the game for that long.

jeemak
27-10-2020, 11:21 PM
See what the Bummers are doing again, like they did with Stringer? The pick we want won't be available. Destabilising the player and then saying this is all we have to offer. Surely Dunks can see through this?!?!

The difference is that we wanted Stringer out and EFC were the only buyers and everyone knew it (and for the record I don't think Bevo's comments had anything to do with his overall trade value - if we all knew it, you can be sure the Bummers did).

Ghost Dog
27-10-2020, 11:28 PM
Dunks is a keeper for mine. His season has been ravaged by injury and he was awesome as a power inside mid beast last year. I still see improvement in Dunks.

We have problems but they are not in the midfield, that's for sure.
Yes, I am not dead. From China with love.

KT31
27-10-2020, 11:31 PM

Great to here from you GD, how is life abroad during these troubled times?

Ghost Dog
27-10-2020, 11:36 PM
Great to here from you GD, how is life abroad during these troubled times?

Hey KT, how you doing? Been in survival mode to be honest.
Well, being OS is a mixed bag, but I'm glad I was out of the country if it meant I didn't have to put up with those filthy Richmond supporters. :DDunks is a great player and Bevo can find a slot for him. Why on earth trade him? Bevo is the man who made a defensive animal out of see- ball-get ball Matty Boyd. I feel we have a great team just needs a tweak. Trading Dunks seems overkill.

jeemak
27-10-2020, 11:55 PM
Welcome back GD!

I like to think that the release from lockdown is being timed appropriately for the gloss to have been taken off Richmond's night premiership victory just a little bit!

Ghost Dog
27-10-2020, 11:56 PM
Welcome back GD!

I like to think that the release from lockdown is being timed appropriately for the gloss to have been taken off Richmond's night premiership victory just a little bit!

G'day Jeemak, hope you are well. A perfectly timed lockdown! Keep your yellow and black indoors please gah. I can't stand them.
:D

jeemak
28-10-2020, 12:24 AM
G'day Jeemak, hope you are well. A perfectly timed lockdown! Keep your yellow and black indoors please gah. I can't stand them.
:D

Yeah likewise dude.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2020, 12:10 PM
So apparently Sam Edmund is reporting that Dunkley has told some team mates of his intention to go to Essendon.

Is there a way we can turn Dunkley into Merrett AND Treloar? If so, get it done.

soupman
28-10-2020, 12:12 PM
Do we want Treloar? He isn't really a winger, and we couldn't fit Dunkley into our midfield properly, so who goes out for Treloar?

We'd be better off using the Dunkley trade capital on something we are shit at, like tall defenders, a winger, ruckmen, competent forwards and anyone with pace. Merrett I will concede fills the wing need.

bornadog
28-10-2020, 12:14 PM
So apparently Sam Edmund is reporting that Dunkley has told some team mates of his intention to go to Essendon.

Is there a way we can turn Dunkley into Merrett AND Treloar? If so, get it done.

Very disappointing if true

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 12:14 PM
If and a big if Dunks wants to go we should open discussion with EVERY other club and see what offers come in. They must be over offers as Dunks is on a 2 year contract. We don't have to negotiate with The Bummers exclusively. Myself I don't want to see Dunks leave as with a full bill of health I can see him spending a lot of time in the middle next year for the doggies. He still has a lot of improvement in him too

SquirrelGrip
28-10-2020, 12:17 PM
Stephen Silvagni said on SEN this morning that Dunkley has met with Bevo, Granty and Peter Gordon and told them he wants to go.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2020, 12:17 PM
Do we want Treloar? He isn't really a winger, and we couldn't fit Dunkley into our midfield properly, so who goes out for Treloar?

We'd be better off using the Dunkley trade capital on something we are shit at, like tall defenders, a winger, ruckmen, competent forwards and anyone with pace. Merrett I will concede fills the wing need.

I think Bailey Smith is arguably better suited to a wing / resting half forward role at this stage. In any case, with lengthened games there's enough time to shift them all around. One of the issues with Dunkley is that he seemingly wants to be a starting mid and arguably he should be, but we probably cannot guarantee it with our current set-up.

Having Smith and Treloar as two burst mids would be exciting and both win ball on the inside and outside.

If we got both, perhaps Hunter can also play minutes on a HFF or HBF. But you're right, might be one too many. If I had a choice it's Treloar over Merrett.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Stephen Silvagni said on SEN this morning that Dunkley has met with Bevo, Granty and Peter Gordon and told them he wants to go.

If dunks wanted to stay he would’ve stomped on this story last week. He didn’t, so has obviously given this a lot of thought. If we are losing someone like dunks, then surely something stinks within the club.

comrade
28-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Essendon's first pick and Tippa would be the minimum I'd accept for Dunks if we decide to cave and let him go.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 12:25 PM
How about

Essendon give pick 7 to Collingwood
Collingwood give Treloar and Mihocek to dogs
Dogs give Dunkley to Essendon.

Collingwood WANT treloar out, so getting in essence pick 7 for treloar and mihocek is fair in my books.

whythelongface
28-10-2020, 12:29 PM
If dunks wanted to stay he would’ve stomped on this story last week. He didn’t, so has obviously given this a lot of thought. If we are losing someone like dunks, then surely something stinks within the club.

Why does something stink within the club? If someone is offering a significant (and I mean significant) pay increase then this would be a tempting proposition. It is very hard to turn down especially given the short timespan of a football career. I tend to feel we look at things way too deeply when really the reason is simple. Money talks.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-10-2020, 12:32 PM
If its true he wants out. I really think the club has to think strategically on this.
We categorically stick hard with him staying and completing his contract UNLESS the offer is unreservedly too good to knock back, and leaves us strategically in a better place.
Otherwise, I'd like to hope Dunks as a professional is able to complete his obligations to us without any grievance.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 12:32 PM
Why does something stink within the club? If someone is offering a significant (and I mean significant) pay increase then this would be a tempting proposition. It is very hard to turn down especially given the short timespan of a football career. I tend to feel we look at things way too deeply when really the reason is simple. Money talks.

That might be the case, but dunks is absolutely loved at the club isn’t he? He always looked like he would’ve been a 250 gamer. He looked happy on the field and he’s got some great mates there. I think there’s got to be something within the club. I hope I’m wrong, but yeah even though money talks, I’m not sure why you would essentially leave a good “home” to go to Essendon with all their offfield issues over the last 3-4 years in particular.

Vred
28-10-2020, 12:37 PM
Until I see an official statement from Dunks, the Dogs or Pickering I'm still chalking this one upto Essendon feeding their mouth pieces to blab as much crap as possible to cause an upset. Dunkley IS on holiday at the moment, hopefully that's why he hasn't come out and squashed this.

comrade
28-10-2020, 12:37 PM
If its true he wants out. I really think the club has to think strategically on this.
We categorically stick hard with him staying and completing his contract UNLESS the offer is unreservedly too good to knock back, and leaves us strategically in a better place.
Otherwise, I'd like to hope Dunks as a professional is able to complete his obligations to us without any grievance.

Yeah, surely that's the only way it plays out if we're being smart. Dunks isn't going to sit out for 2 years because we won't faciliate a trade.

Happy Days
28-10-2020, 12:40 PM
There’s no way we don’t cave. We should accept nothing less than the 2021 first and AMT or Draper. If they can get Cooney’s supertrade to work except with Ladhams instead of that other guy then that would work too.

We will end up with one first round pick mark it down.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2020, 12:42 PM
No matter how you look at it, it's concerning that Dunks wants to leave. We're now not only unable to attract star talent, but we're also losing it. And losing it to a team that doesn't have a bright future.

Grantysghost
28-10-2020, 12:50 PM

It must be a good offer he's getting. I can't quite get my head around this one on the face of it. He appeared happy and was highly regarded with us....

Considering we are quite conservative with our list this may have a silver lining in that it brings in some high calibre players of need, but there's part of me that's quite concerned with the way this is playing out and the potential precedent it sets.

I have faith our guys can get us an appropriate deal, failing that we have two years to change Josh's mind.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 12:51 PM
There’s no way we don’t cave. We should accept nothing less than the 2021 first and AMT or Draper. If they can get Cooney’s supertrade to work except with Ladhams instead of that other guy then that would work too.

And the trade will go through in the last 30 mins of trade.

Axe Man
28-10-2020, 12:55 PM

So did they all meet at the Noosa Surf Club over Coronas and a bucket of prawns or is Josh back in Melbourne?

bornadog
28-10-2020, 01:01 PM
It must be a good offer he's getting. I can't quite get my head around this one on the face of it. He appeared happy and was highly regarded with us....

Considering we are quite conservative with our list this may have a silver lining in that it brings in some high calibre players of need, but there's part of me that's quite concerned with the way this is playing out and the potential precedent it sets.

I have faith our guys can get us an appropriate deal, failing that we have two years to change Josh's mind.

Not sure who said it, one of the trade radio nuffies, but read it on a tweet -

They think Dunks has said if you can get me a trade that suits then go for it, if you can't I am happy to stay. That is the reason he is not announcing anything, because the likelihood of a good trade is unknown and then he can save face and say, I was never going.

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 01:04 PM

Sheils and Treloar both were 2 first round picks. That should be our minimum. I can see Dunks being The Bummer's captain in the not too distant future....if he goes there. We have a huge whip hand. The 2 year contract. So whether we trade him this season or next season we still hold the upper hand. If Essendon wants him they have to pay huge overs or he stays.

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 01:05 PM

They think Dunks has said if you can get me a trade that suits then go for it, if you can't I am happy to stay. That is the reason he is not announcing anything, because the likelihood of a good trade is unknown and then he can save face and say, I was never going.

Got a feeling it was Goddard.

Axe Man
28-10-2020, 01:05 PM

This is the most believable scenario for mine.

ledge
28-10-2020, 02:05 PM
No matter how you look at it, it's concerning that Dunks wants to leave. We're now not only unable to attract star talent, but we're also losing it. And losing it to a team that doesn't have a bright future.

No matter how you look at it is, he hasn’t said he wants out, it’s media talking not him remember that.

GVGjr
28-10-2020, 02:14 PM

If the player is insistent that he wants to move then we now need to facilitate it. The issue is Essendon cannot trade their first round pick this year or next so they will have to get us 2 x 2nd round picks after they deal Saad and Daniher

GVGjr
28-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Essendon's first pick and Tippa would be the minimum I'd accept for Dunks if we decide to cave and let him go.

They actually can't trade their first round pick this year unless they get another in the first round.

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 02:18 PM
They actually can't trade their first round pick this year unless they get another in the first round.

Maybe it would have to be a three way swap?

comrade
28-10-2020, 02:18 PM

They will once the Saad and Daniher deals are completed.

GVGjr
28-10-2020, 02:19 PM
If we lose Dunks and it's as much about reduced midfield minutes and being used in the ruck than it is about the financial offer does this now get addressed with Bevo or do we accept that his views should be supported?

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 02:20 PM

Would a hb flanker and a injury prone player be worth a first rounder?

GVGjr
28-10-2020, 02:21 PM
Maybe it would have to be a three way swap?

I suspect we don't really want a first round pick. 2 x 2nd rounds might be better for us

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 02:21 PM
If we lose Dunks and it's as much about reduced midfield minutes and being used in the ruck than it is about the financial offer does this now get addressed with Bevo or do we accept that his views should be supported?

Seeing as Dunks only played 12 games this year after a bad injury I can see Bevo telling him he will play more time in the middle next season.

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 02:23 PM
I suspect we don't really want a first round pick. 2 x 2nd rounds might be better for us

Or a gun..or potential gun... key forward or key back?

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 02:25 PM
Surely if we lose Dunkley, we should be looking at a player(S) to come in. The first round draft picks will just get swallowed with Jamarra bid.

Dancin' Douggy
28-10-2020, 02:35 PM
Can you make up the points with a fistful of later picks and keep your early pick(s)?
Surely if we lose Dunkley, we should be looking at a player(S) to come in. The first round draft picks will just get swallowed with Jamarra bid.

Mofra
28-10-2020, 02:37 PM
If the player is insistent that he wants to move then we now need to facilitate it. The issue is Essendon cannot trade their first round pick this year or next so they will have to get us 2 x 2nd round picks after they deal Saad and Daniher
They may need to choose between Dunkley and Caldwell.

Plot twist - we make a late bid for Caldwell (although to odds of a GWS player coming to us are near zero).

Axe Man
28-10-2020, 02:56 PM
Can you make up the points with a fistful of later picks and keep your early pick(s)?

No you can't if the bid comes before your first pick. If only there was a thread dedicated to this subject.

Bulldog Joe
28-10-2020, 02:56 PM

On my understanding points are taken off the next available picks.

It is why Sydney traded out their next pick to Eagles prior to taking Blakey and then traded one back after they had locked him away.

AFL now banned that happening.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Yep, the mail is that first round drafts picks are worthless to us this year due to the JUH factor, so for instance, if dunks was to go, it would only be beneficial to get player(S) in return.

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Yep, the mail is that first round drafts picks are worthless to us this year due to the JUH factor, so for instance, if dunks was to go, it would only be beneficial to get player(S) in return.

That is why I think it would have to include at least a 3rd club as Essendon has nuthin.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 03:11 PM
That is why I think it would have to include at least a 3rd club as Essendon has nuthin.
Exactly. I think Coll could be that 3rd team.

Raw Toast
28-10-2020, 03:17 PM
(although to odds of a GWS player coming to us are near zero).

Don't know why you would say this. I mean, we got Bruce just this past year... ; )

AshMac
28-10-2020, 03:20 PM

Tippa?

bornadog
28-10-2020, 03:23 PM

If they get 7 for Saad, they can give us that, plus Tippa.

GVGjr
28-10-2020, 03:26 PM
I don't want any player from Essendon, none of them appeal to me. They've been in a damaged and dysfunctional environment for too long

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 03:26 PM
If they get 7 for Saad, they can give us that, plus Tippa.

Yep I’d love tippa. What do we do with pick 7 and 12?

comrade
28-10-2020, 03:27 PM
Pick 7 for a key defender.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 03:28 PM
Pick 7 for a key defender.

Anyone you might think pick 7 would get us ?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-10-2020, 03:29 PM
I don't want any player from Essendon, none of them appeal to me. They've been in a damaged and dysfunctional environment for too long

And yet one of our influential young leaders wants to go there apparently?
Harking back to your earlier question about how this would reflect on Beveridge and his game plan. This would be a tipping point for me. Not for him to go, but for a very strong internal discussion about whether we need to reconsider our club's strategic direction.

bornadog
28-10-2020, 03:32 PM
They may need to choose between Dunkley and Caldwell.

Plot twist - we make a late bid for Caldwell (although to odds of a GWS player coming to us are near zero).

16 game player with offer of $550k per annum over 5 years - Boyd type of risk

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 03:33 PM
16 game player with offer of $550k per annum over 5 years - Boyd type of risk

I would vomit if the dogs offered that type of deal for Caldwell.

comrade
28-10-2020, 03:33 PM
Anyone you might think pick 7 would get us ?

Given our struggles to attract anyone under the age of 27+, I doubt it.

comrade
28-10-2020, 03:35 PM
Harking back to your earlier question about how this would reflect on Beveridge and his game plan. This would be a tipping point for me. Not for him to go, but for a very strong internal discussion about whether we need to reconsider our club's strategic direction.

I'm concerned that if Dunkley goes, it puts a very big bullseye on players like Baz Smith, Naughton & English who will all have big money thrown at them. We can't compete on $$$ and must compete on the story and direction we're selling.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Given our struggles to attract anyone under the age of 27+, I doubt it.
I agree, I just can’t think of anyone that would wanna come to us, or a player that their team would trade anyway.
Howard was the one we had to get. Not to be unfortunately.

G-Mo77
28-10-2020, 03:37 PM

He needs to be hauled in and put over the coals even if Dunks stays. It's inexcusable that his ridiculous game plan was supported through out this season and who ever was behind the decisions to go the Tim English or bust route need to be hauled in with him.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2020, 04:07 PM
I'm concerned that if Dunkley goes, it puts a very big bullseye on players like Baz Smith, Naughton & English who will all have big money thrown at them. We can't compete on $$$ and must compete on the story and direction we're selling.

We should be able to compete on $$$. We can't land big fish because we are reluctant to part with $$$ because we want to keep our young players happy. Yet here we are facing a young player wanting to leave for $$$.

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 04:18 PM
Dunks will get close to $650,000 next contract at the dogs. Next season you will find Dunks plays a higher percentage on ball time plus won't be rucking as he will be fully fit. That is virtually what he wants. He will be a doggie for life and a 2nd premiership player...that is what I would like to see.

ledge
28-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Dunks will get close to $650,000 next contract at the dogs. Next season you will find Dunks plays a higher percentage on ball time plus won't be rucking as he will be fully fit. That is virtually what he wants. He will be a doggie for life and a 2nd premiership player...that is what I would like to see.

We can always extend his contract thus putting more pressure on the bombers to piss off

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 05:23 PM
Stevo was asked on RSN what jumper will Dunkley be in next year. Answer: Bulldogs.

Bulldog Joe
28-10-2020, 05:56 PM
Stevo was asked on RSN what jumper will Dunkley be in next year. Answer: Bulldogs.

..remember he is a Bulldogs fan.

That wouldn't cloud his judgement like all the flag waving Essington fans in media jobs.. would it??

kruder
28-10-2020, 05:58 PM

I'm hoping it's the straw that breaks the camels back at the kennel. I love what Bevo has done and really want him to coach us going forward but Dunkley rucking over multiple years is absolutely ridiculous. I'm hoping that its a close shave and he stays and Bevo can have a good hard think about his flexibility mantra which has gone too far.

I'm not saying we should cave to every player wanting to play midfield, we need players to play their role where it best suits the team but we seem to spend the first half of the season flicking players all over the joint and not knowing what our best 22 is. Clearly, Dunkley playing ruck is not the best thing for him and the team, just like playing Crozier forward in the Final after he spent 3 years in defence just to accommodate Easton Wood who was completely out of form.

We need to get the balance right, I can easily seem this team pushing into top 4 contention with a few tweaks, but I can also see a scenario where clubs come for our elite talent and we continue to swim against the tide.

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 05:58 PM

That wouldn't cloud his judgement like all the flag waving Essington fans in media jobs.. would it??

Hope not. :)

GVGjr
28-10-2020, 06:18 PM

I like Bevo to have strong views but we have called this out as an issue for too long and he seems very invested in it.
Sometimes the boss just needs to say sorry mate we are going in an another direction. Bevo will suck it up and accept it if this is one of the main contributing factors to Dunkley exploring his options elsewhere

GVGjr
28-10-2020, 06:22 PM

I have heard of this phenomena where apparently some peoples views are clouded because they support a side, I can't say I've witnessed this here on WOOF but it's possible that some in the media express their views with a tilt to support their club :)

bornadog
28-10-2020, 06:24 PM
I like Bevo to have strong views but we have called this out as an issue for too long and he seems very invested in it.
Sometimes the boss just needs to say sorry mate we are going in an another direction. Bevo will suck it up and accept it if this is one of the main contributing factors to Dunkley exploring his options elsewhere

If this is true, then he can go. It is a team sport and you play where your coach asks you to play. Whether we think it is right or wrong.

What I know of Dunkley, this would not be the reason.

Topdog
28-10-2020, 08:02 PM
Gee maybe I'm very naive but i still just can't see Dunkley going

jeemak
28-10-2020, 08:47 PM
It's not like a player would look for a convenient narrative to you know, take the focus away from leaving for money and getting his brother a game or anything...……

I don't like Dunkley playing ruck by the way, I just don't see it as the reason or barely a contributing factor for him going. It's just money.

ledge
28-10-2020, 08:58 PM
Just saw a clip of someone asking the Bont about Dunkley and he said he isn’t going anywhere.

azabob
28-10-2020, 09:20 PM
Just saw a clip of someone asking the Bont about Dunkley and he said he isn’t going anywhere.

that clip is a good week old

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2020, 09:22 PM
I feel like I'm starting to change my tune.

I like Dunkley but do you know what else I like? Winning. I'll reserve judgement until we trade him, IF we trade him. We shouldn't lose from this, we either keep an AA mid or we improve our list by other means.

jeemak
28-10-2020, 09:32 PM

I like Dunkley but do you know what else I like? Winning. I'll reserve judgement until we trade him, IF we trade him. We shouldn't lose from this, we either keep an AA mid or we improve our list by other means.

Well the point of the original post (which I deeply regret of course given the current situation where Chef is applying to enter the metropolitan region for "work purposes" but really just to track me down and bash me) was to kind of get out in the open that if you want to make a material change to your list quickly you need to do something pretty drastic......particularly if you're not known as a destination club, like we're not.

Now that you're seeing it the way your are TBB, what would you do if in charge and the decision was made to move him on?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2020, 09:39 PM
Well the point of the original post (which I deeply regret of course given the current situation where Chef is applying to enter the metropolitan region for "work purposes" but really just to track me down and bash me) was to kind of get out in the open that if you want to make a material change to your list quickly you need to do something pretty drastic......particularly if you're not known as a destination club, like we're not.

Now that you're seeing it the way your are TBB, what would you do if in charge and the decision was made to move him on?

At the moment there's a lot of what ifs so it's difficult to answer but we need to know what we need in order to be prepared to let him go. The draft pick situation is complicated by their ban and JUH, plus I don't think we need any more early draft picks if we can help it.

We also need to play the game because there are intangible factors at play too. I'm weary that just letting Dunkley go potentially paves the way for other quality young players on our list to do the same when other clubs come knocking, so there's that.

Ultimately we should tell Dunkley that we really value what he brings, can understand why he's attracted to a large offer from Essendon, but can't afford to let him go unless we're heavily compensated.

It's then up to us to identify what players can fill the void/address our list weaknesses, convince them to come to our club, and for Essendon to help facilitate a trade. That's a lot to ask and the more you think about it the less likely it seems this will happen.

We're playing our cards close to our chest currently which gives me optimism that the club is basically doing something similar to above.

Grantysghost
28-10-2020, 09:43 PM

I'm starting to feel the same. Maybe it's one of the stages of grief ? However at his age, to be held in such high regard by the footy club it's really dissapointing he's had his head turned by another side with two years remaining on a recently inked deal.

It's not like he played as first ruck every week and was competing against Sandilands' mid section in some horrible dystopian version of Gulliver's travels... it was a rare event..this story has grown so many legs it's insane. He did have injuries and was pushed down the order by Libba, that's ok he's 23. By the end of this contract you would think he'd be the inside king at the kennel.

I agree with previous comments this is a smokescreen and he's off for the cash. No issues with that, it's a job but let's call a spade a spade.

Seriously Essendon? I'm querying this boys judgement!

Sedat
28-10-2020, 09:50 PM
The only possible way losing Dunks is a palatable scenario is if we replace him with Treloar, with the filth paying a portion of his salary and with a minimal cost in terms of draft picks. Whilst they are different players, they have comparable talent levels, and frankly our midfield depth cannot afford to lose Dunks if we don't replace him with a ready-made talent.

So Dunks for Treloar, and a MUCH stronger draft hand, is palatable if Dunks is adamant he wants to leave.

I would still much rather we retain one of our best U23 players and future leader.

1eyedog
28-10-2020, 10:29 PM

Wouldn't be surprised at all if we said to Dunks if someone wants to pay big for you we are ok wIth you going but you need to know we'll need to be suitably compensated.

We can cover Dunks we were playing him as our ruck atm! We are giving up something really good to get something really good.

josie
28-10-2020, 10:49 PM
Age article 6:45pm by Gleeson and Maclure entitled “Daniher could be at the Den by Friday”
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/daniher-could-be-at-the-den-by-friday-20201028-p569hl.html?btis

Part about Dunks says “Essendon are very keen on trading for the contracted Bulldogs midfielder, but as yet, Dunkley has not contacted the Dogs asking to be traded and the Bulldogs have insisted he is a required player on a long-term deal and he is going nowhere.”

bornadog
28-10-2020, 10:57 PM
The only possible way losing Dunks is a palatable scenario is if we replace him with Treloar, with the filth paying a portion of his salary and with a minimal cost in terms of draft picks. Whilst they are different players, they have comparable talent levels, and frankly our midfield depth cannot afford to lose Dunks if we don't replace him with a ready-made talent.

So Dunks for Treloar, and a MUCH stronger draft hand, is palatable if Dunks is adamant he wants to leave.

I would still much rather we retain one of our best U23 players and future leader.

This ^^
I prefer not to lose Dunks, however if it happens, we can gain an outside mid which we are lacking.

I am confident West can fill some of the inside mid work in the future.

Twodogs
29-10-2020, 12:06 AM

I'll stand up for you Jee. They'll have to come through me first.

Or second. Maybe.

whythelongface
29-10-2020, 12:37 AM
Age article 6:45pm by Gleeson and Maclure entitled “Daniher could be at the Den by Friday”
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/daniher-could-be-at-the-den-by-friday-20201028-p569hl.html?btis

Part about Dunks says “Essendon are very keen on trading for the contracted Bulldogs midfielder, but as yet, Dunkley has not contacted the Dogs asking to be traded and the Bulldogs have insisted he is a required player on a long-term deal and he is going nowhere.”

This just shows the BS from the media. Wasn’t there another article or radio program which stated that Dunks had contacted Bevo, Gordon, Bains et al informing them of his desire to play with Essendon.

jeemak
29-10-2020, 01:15 AM
I'll stand up for you Jee. They'll have to come through me first.

Or second. Maybe.

You're light enough for me to pick up and use as a human shield, so thank you mate!

jeemak
29-10-2020, 01:16 AM
This just shows the BS from the media. Wasn’t there another article or radio program which stated that Dunks had contacted Bevo, Gordon, Bains et al informing them of his desire to play with Essendon.

I think there were reports of him having met with them, but also reports he was in Noosa on holidays. It could be that they did so via video conference.

Jeanette54
29-10-2020, 10:20 AM
I truly hate this time of year. with all its trade implications and bull tish..

Forty two pages of Dunks..... and we haven't yet established whether there is any substance to the story.

Does anybody know ? More and more it seems players come and go, but supporters are forever.

PS: Please don't go Josh, you are way above the toxic dump that is he Bombers..

Mofra
29-10-2020, 10:23 AM
I'd take Draper in a heartbeat - but he's one of their very few untouchables. Ridley and Heppell would be the other two they'd keep.

comrade
29-10-2020, 10:25 AM
I'd take Draper in a heartbeat - but he's one of their very few untouchables. Ridley and Heppell would be the other two they'd keep.

They'd move Heppell, IMO. McGrath is probably untouchable, along with Draper and Ridley.

DOG GOD
29-10-2020, 10:36 AM

If Heppell wasn’t the capt I think they’d look at trading him. His body is just about done.
Merrett, Draper, McGrath, Ridley and to a lesser extent ATW are their untouchables.

Happy Days
29-10-2020, 10:46 AM

I gotta admit I'm the same. I look at stories from the NBA like the one today saying that Dallas will trade anyone but two guys if it gets them closer to a title, and think that from an asset management point of view this makes complete sense. Say we got something like Draper and ~7, then worked out a way that we could flip ~7 for an even more desirable future first or player. We've filled positional needs and have a stronger draft hand long term.

But on the other hand, we aren't the NBA, and retaining the soul of a club is *the* most valuable tool for player retention that AFL clubs have available to them. Looking at Collingwood, there is no way that this Treloar decision doesn't have some long term affect on their ability to recruit or retain players.

Plus, Dunks is good as hell and even though trading him (depending on return) might make us more even, we will probably immediately be worse off for it.

I don't know. Just after the dust settles remember I was conflicted and therefore cannot possibly have been wrong about this.

Doc26
29-10-2020, 10:56 AM

Given that we do have the whip hand here we really can position this to suit our requirements. Assuming that it is Treloar that sits at the top of the tree for us, I wonder if it is permissable for a contractual arrangement whereby BOTH Essendon and Collingwood cover the difference in Dunks current salary (with us) to Treloar's, so that we aren't taking any financial hit with Treloar?

Whilst I hope that we can be in a position to match the loss of Dunks in-terms of his on-field output. I am far more disappointed by the prospect of losing a young and inspiring leader of our Club. In this regard he could be our Luke Hodge where the loss would be far more profound. With that said, I am now questioning my own take on Dunks. Would a Luke Hodge have been such an opportunist to jump to such a rabble of a Club for what I can only assume is for the cash.

Twodogs
29-10-2020, 12:55 PM
You're light enough for me to pick up and use as a human shield, so thank you mate!

You could probably even wave me around and provide yourself an escape route.

But remember. It's the little ones you have to be careful of.

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 01:23 PM
I gotta admit I'm the same. I look at stories from the NBA like the one today saying that Dallas will trade anyone but two guys if it gets them closer to a title, and think that from an asset management point of view this makes complete sense. Say we got something like Draper and ~7, then worked out a way that we could flip ~7 for an even more desirable future first or player. We've filled positional needs and have a stronger draft hand long term.

But on the other hand, we aren't the NBA, and retaining the soul of a club is *the* most valuable tool for player retention that AFL clubs have available to them. Looking at Collingwood, there is no way that this Treloar decision doesn't have some long term affect on their ability to recruit or retain players.

Plus, Dunks is good as hell and even though trading him (depending on return) might make us more even, we will probably immediately be worse off for it.

I don't know. Just after the dust settles remember I was conflicted and therefore cannot possibly have been wrong about this.

When you say soul of the club you mean the premiership player Dunkley who rather than stay for good coin wants to leave the club for more coin?

He's effectively become a mercenary and we need to shop him around like one during trade week. We need to make the Bombers blink early so we can sort out what we're going to do with the compensation that's coming back. I don't know who we want but we could just about get anyone IF Dodo pays overs for Dunkley. This is our chance to get an excellent player in a position of need.

I'm keen to squeeze and squeeze until Dodo's eyes pop.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-10-2020, 01:27 PM
This from Fox Sports. You can't even make this stuff up.

In summary:
-We need to get on our skates to keep a contracted player, but we're also in no rush
-The club that went after Dunkley also had him fall in their laps
-Dunkley hasn't requested a trade yet has told the bulldogs he wants out.

Top shelf journalism right here.

DONS BELIEVE DUNKLEY’S HOME FOR 2021 IS TULLAMARINE

The Western Bulldogs need to get on their skates to keep gun onballer Josh Dunkley at the club for 2021.

Despite being contracted, Dunkley is leaning towards requesting a trade to Essendon.

According to SEN’s Sam Edmund, the Bulldogs are aware of his thoughts and now have two weeks to keep him at the club, despite CEO Ameet Bains’ stance that he will not be leaving in trade period.

“The Western Bulldogs, I reckon have got two weeks to convince Josh Dunkley that his future lies at Whitten Oval,” he said on SEN's Whateley.

“Dunkley wants to play for Essendon next year and the Bombers actually believe he’s told his teammates and other Dogs people that he wants to leave.

“While Dunkley hasn’t formally submitted a trade request yet, the Dogs are aware he wants out with two years to run on his contract.

“It’s one for Essendon that has almost fallen into their lap... they’re sitting back to see what happens with Dunkley.

“The Dogs are in no rush, there’s six days until the trade period start. They will put the shutters up now and say there’s nothing to see here.”

The Bombers have a big war-chest with plenty of cash to burn, with midfielder Jye Caldwell requesting a trade to Tullamarine.

comrade
29-10-2020, 01:30 PM
Yep Dunkley has just "fallen into their lap", I mean aside from offering big coin along with a career life line for his brother.

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 01:30 PM
Yeah lame. Essendon this, Essendon that. We'll see.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-10-2020, 01:32 PM
When you say soul of the club you mean the premiership player Dunkley who rather than stay for good coin wants to leave the club for more coin?

He's effectively become a mercenary and we need to shop him around like one during trade week. We need to make the Bombers blink early so we can sort out what we're going to do with the compensation that's coming back. I don't know who we want but we could just about get anyone IF Dodo pays overs for Dunkley. This is our chance to get an excellent player in a position of need.

I'm keen to squeeze and squeeze until Dodo's eyes pop.

I have to agree with you. If he wants out for money reasons then he's not the kind of bloke we want at our club. It doesn't even sound like it's a significant upgrade. Plenty of players from other clubs would get higher offers to leave but they knock them back. If he's that sensitive to money (and to a club that lacks integrity at that) then we shall treat him inkind.

KT31
29-10-2020, 01:40 PM

In summary:
-We need to get on our skates to keep a contracted player, but we're also in no rush

The Western Bulldogs need to get on their skates to keep gun onballer Josh Dunkley at the club for 2021.

Despite being contracted, Dunkley is leaning towards requesting a trade to Essendon.

According to SEN’s Sam Edmund, the Bulldogs are aware of his thoughts and now have two weeks to keep him at the club, despite CEO Ameet Bains’ stance that he will not be leaving in trade period.

“The Western Bulldogs, I reckon have got two weeks to convince Josh Dunkley that his future lies at Whitten Oval,” he said on SEN's Whateley.

“Dunkley wants to play for Essendon next year and the Bombers actually believe he’s told his teammates and other Dogs people that he wants to leave.

“While Dunkley hasn’t formally submitted a trade request yet, the Dogs are aware he wants out with two years to run on his contract.

“It’s one for Essendon that has almost fallen into their lap... they’re sitting back to see what happens with Dunkley.

“The Dogs are in no rush, there’s six days until the trade period start. They will put the shutters up now and say there’s nothing to see here.”

The Bombers have a big war-chest with plenty of cash to burn, with midfielder Jye Caldwell requesting a trade to Tullamarine.

More Shite from the media,:mad: ( where a poo icon when needed ? )
How has he fallen into the scums lap ?
We either get a great deal, shop him around, he plays for us or sits out two years of footy.

bornadog
29-10-2020, 01:44 PM

In summary:

Where do they get this information from? Sam Power is the type that just never tells anyone anything and gets on with it.

Doc26
29-10-2020, 02:15 PM

The bolded piece is just completely non-sensical.

Is Sam Edmund that dumb that he doesn't know that a contract means that Dunkley cannot move from us until the end of October 2022 unless WE agree to move him? Is this Edmund doing the bidding for his mate Pickering, who he shares a TV gig with on Nine, or his he somehow connected to Essendon's marketing Dept.?

Mate (or FoxSports) get the headline changed to read "Essendon need to get on their skates if they really wish to to purge gun onballer Josh Dunkley from the Bulldogs if there is any chance of prying him out of his contract for 2021".

Lets start calling these imbeciles out for what they are. It's the perfect platform to do so.

The bulldog tragician
29-10-2020, 02:19 PM
I have to agree with you. If he wants out for money reasons then he's not the kind of bloke we want at our club. It doesn't even sound like it's a significant upgrade. Plenty of players from other clubs would get higher offers to leave but they knock them back. If he's that sensitive to money (and to a club that lacks integrity at that) then we shall treat him inkind.

I have a heavy heart at the idea of any of the reasons he would wish to leave.

If a guy like him can be an out-and-out mercenary. then much of the rationale for us sticking fat in tough times, loyally supporting our team no matter what, is empty.

If it's also because we are unable to sell him a vision of a successful club that is close to premiership contention, this is deeply troubling, especially given the recent history of the club he may be choosing.

If disillusionment with Bevo's coaching strategies and the peculiar ruck setup is part of it, I find it unlikely that this would be something that isn't a regular topic of disaffection, dissent and grumbling among that group with which Dunkley is tight ie the solid core of 'good blokes', Wally, Crozier and his best mate Bont. That sort of chatter can so easily become poisonous within a group.

None of these reasons inspire a sense of optimism about this whole wretched scenario.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-10-2020, 02:37 PM

If a guy like him can be an out-and-out mercenary. then much of the rationale for us sticking fat in tough times, loyally supporting our team no matter what, is empty.

If it's also because we are unable to sell him a vision of a successful club that is close to premiership contention, this is deeply troubling, especially given the recent history of the club he may be choosing.

If disillusionment with Bevo's coaching strategies and the peculiar ruck setup is part of it, I find it unlikely that this would be something that isn't a regular topic of disaffection, dissent and grumbling among that group with which Dunkley is tight ie the solid core of 'good blokes', Wally, Crozier and his best mate Bont. That sort of chatter can so easily become poisonous within a group.

None of these reasons inspire a sense of optimism about this whole wretched scenario.

I wholeheartedly agree. I know it's not the same level, but how close is this situation to the Ryan Griffen saga in terms of effect on the club and players? This is a leader and supposedly standup guy we're talking about. Even Dustin Martin, who does not have this reputation and could have been viewed as someone to chase the coin, knocked back millions to stay with the Tigers.

Webby
29-10-2020, 02:49 PM
Would anyone enquire about a straight swap for (childhood Doggies fan and want away) Zach Merrett?

The bulldog tragician
29-10-2020, 03:22 PM
I wholeheartedly agree. I know it's not the same level, but how close is this situation to the Ryan Griffen saga in terms of effect on the club and players? This is a leader and supposedly standup guy we're talking about. Even Dustin Martin, who does not have this reputation and could have been viewed as someone to chase the coin, knocked back millions to stay with the Tigers.

We all get buoyed when players “choose us” and sign a long term contract. Feels like in future the exciting media release should have an asterisk. Ours for the next three years!!***

***unless better offer materialises

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-10-2020, 03:29 PM
We all get buoyed when players “choose us” and sign a long term contract. Feels like in future the exciting media release should have an asterisk. Ours for the next three years!!***

***unless better offer materialises

If this is about money it really is unsettling.. I thought Dunks was invested in more than that. I can't believe Dunkley would want to go that in progress Dumpster fire of a club...

Grantysghost
29-10-2020, 03:37 PM
If this is about money it really is unsettling.. I thought Dunks was invested in more than that. I can't believe Dunkley would want to go that in progress Dumpster fire of a club...

I'm with you. Doesn't seem to add up does it, well, the dollars might.
I'd say Bevo might be taken aback considering his well publicised fondness for Josh.
It has to be a godfather deal.

ledge
29-10-2020, 05:42 PM

In summary:

So we need to get our skates but are in no rush ?
Isn’t that an each way bet ?

whythelongface
29-10-2020, 06:09 PM
The only attractions for Dunks are money and midfield time. They have a new rookie coach; have departed ways with their head of operations and as far away from premiership as Antartica is from the Equator. If it is money and midfield time that he wants well there you are son, but if it is stability, growth and the opportunity for success then the answer is simple.

Sedat
29-10-2020, 07:31 PM

Yep. It can only reflect extremely poorly on the club if a player of Dunkley's quality, character and age profile makes a voluntary decision, 2 years out from his contract expiring, to leave the club. It is even worse when you consider the disaster zone that is his supposed destination.

I hope good sense and judgment prevails but I am not filled with optimism.

azabob
29-10-2020, 07:41 PM
I wonder if something happened in the hub?

I'd be amazed if there was not conflict of some sort between the players.

dukedog
29-10-2020, 07:44 PM

Dont believe everything you hear. Dusty offer wasnt that good

ledge
29-10-2020, 08:21 PM

Yes and I think he actually went back to The tigers with a lesser offer than the original.

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 08:22 PM
Wasn't it Norf though?

Twodogs
29-10-2020, 08:41 PM
More Shite from the media,:mad: ( where a poo icon when needed ? )
How has he fallen into the scums lap ?
We either get a great deal, shop him around, he plays for us or sits out two years of footy.

And sits out without pay. He's contracted to play footy with us. Essendon can't pay not to pay footy.

In summary:

Apart from the fact the article appears to be written by a 7yo, take any form of media that begins with "Fox" anything with a huge grain of salt. It's not in the business of disseminating accurate information it's in the business of making stuff up for clickbait.

North offered 600k a year from what I've heard. It was a bit back then but Dusty pretty much went back to Richmond with his tail between his legs. As it turned out it was the best thing that could have happened to him but I doubt he was thinking that at the time.

WBFC4FFC
29-10-2020, 09:35 PM
And sits out without pay. He's contracted to play footy with us. Essendon can't pay not to pay footy.

Apart from the fact the article appears to be written by a 7yo, take any form of media that begins with "Fox" anything with a huge grain of salt. It's not in the business of disseminating accurate information it's in the business of making stuff up for clickbait.

North offered 600k a year from what I've heard. It was a bit back then but Dusty pretty much went back to Richmond with his tail between his legs. As it turned out it was the best thing that could have happened to him but I doubt he was thinking that at the time.

And that is the point I made the other day, regarding Chris Grant staying all those years ago. If Dunks decided himself to stay (v. the Club saying he has to stay because of the Contract) he will go up another level (as Rick Kennedy predicted with Turtle at the end of 1996).

bornadog
29-10-2020, 10:21 PM

Dustin Martin’s manager explains why he rejected staggering $11m mega deals (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trades-2020-dustin-martin-adelaide-crows-offer-north-melbourne-offer-how-much-is-dustin-martin-on-contracts-did-dustin-martin-nearly-leave-richmond-tigers/news-story/c043e2c5666e8c851ac584e5d7690b9c)

Webby
29-10-2020, 10:27 PM
Dustin Martin’s manager explains why he rejected staggering $11m mega deals (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trades-2020-dustin-martin-adelaide-crows-offer-north-melbourne-offer-how-much-is-dustin-martin-on-contracts-did-dustin-martin-nearly-leave-richmond-tigers/news-story/c043e2c5666e8c851ac584e5d7690b9c)

I believe the previous posters were referring to Martin’s contract signed after he’d flirted with a move to GWS circa 2015/16. He ended up RE-signing with Richmond for something like $600k p.a. for two years. That was $50k or so shy of what Richmond has offered prior to him going on a tour of GWS’s facilities.

Obviously, two seasons later, at the end of the 2017 season, he was far better positioned to ask for squillions and knock back mega deals from all and sundry.

Grantysghost
29-10-2020, 10:48 PM

He's made up the short fall in endorsements as far as I'm aware, that's the lure of the big clubs, the off field is so lucrative.

"And now, Martin is arguably Australia’s most recognised sportsperson with lucrative endorsements with a string of companies including Bonds, Jeep and Boost.

It’s estimated Martin earns close to $1million on top of his football contract every year, with Carr confirming a new boots deal will also be done in the coming months."

The Adelaide Connection
29-10-2020, 11:55 PM
I flippantly threw out a possible scenario a few days ago and it has slowly burned into a full blown paranoid conspiracy theory that I just can’t shake:

1) JUH closest relationship at the club is Dunks (not a stretch when he spent a week living with him and he seems like a super great guy)
2) Essendon have caught wind of this
3) Essendon lure Dunkley
4) Essendon use Dunkley as an extra carrot in the courting of Buddy-esque, Bomber supporting, once in a generation talent JUH

#keepdunkley

ratsmac
30-10-2020, 12:18 AM
I flippantly threw out a possible scenario a few days ago and it has slowly burning into a full blown paranoid conspiracy theory that I just can’t shake:

1) JUH closest relationship at the club is Dunks (not a stretch when he spent a week living with him and he seems like a super great guy)
3) Essendon lure Dunkley
4) Essendon use Dunkley as an extra carrot in the courting of Buddy-esque, Bomber supporting, once in a generation talent JUH

#keepdunkley

Just stop that now

jeemak
30-10-2020, 12:23 AM
I flippantly threw out a possible scenario a few days ago and it has slowly burning into a full blown paranoid conspiracy theory that I just can’t shake:

3) Essendon lure Dunkley

#keepdunkley

Just stop that now

That is some serious paranoia!

soupman
30-10-2020, 12:37 AM
Ok say it is all true, Dunkley is leaving, what can we get in return?

I am assuming that what we are pushing for is two first rounders. I'd really be pushing for one of them to be Essendons 2021 first rounder, it could be a top 5 pick quite easily even with the addition of both Josh Dunkleys to their dogshit lineup.

I don't want any Essendon players back because a) I don't rate any of them and b) I think with the way Essendon rate their players they'll overvalue them and diminish the rest of the compensation, meaning we get something crap like Zach Merrett and a future third or a nearly finished Michael Hurley and two second rounders "for the points".

I had a quick glance at BigFooty which is obsessed with the idea of us grabbing pick 8 (what they get for Saad) and sending that with our 2021 first rounder for Adelaides pick 2 (Crouch compo) this year (obviously with a "don't bid on JUH with pick 1" clause built in). I don't really see that eventuating on a number of levels but I like the aggressiveness of it.

Otherwise I'd be really pushing to use that other pick on someone that improves our side, and by that I mean we get a quality tall defender, small forward, pacy winger or ruck, all of which offers us something different. I know everyones first thought is "oh but whos available" but the point is Dunkley wasn't available until Essendon made him so, it would be super out of character for us but we need to start thinking like that as well.

I think under no circumstances should we chase Treloar. If we are going to bring him in on $900k (minus the $200k Collingwood is paying) then we might as well just pay Dunkley the $700k a year he allegedly wants to stay. On top of that I don't really rate Treloar, he reminds me of those flimsy wind up car toys; Really quick in short bursts but absolutely no sense of direction and fragile as hell. He is not the winger type we need, and we don't need to replace Dunkley in the midfield because a) we couldn't give him enough time there to keep him happy anyway allegedly and b) second string midfielders are cheap as hell, just grab Charlie Constable or Quinton Narkle for a future 4th.

westbulldog
30-10-2020, 12:47 AM
Why would we deal with Essendon at all, crap club, crap culture. Would hate to see Dunkley go.

Ghost Dog
30-10-2020, 10:53 AM
He's made up the short fall in endorsements as far as I'm aware, that's the lure of the big clubs, the off field is so lucrative.

"And now, Martin is arguably Australia’s most recognised sportsperson with lucrative endorsements with a string of companies including Bonds, Jeep and Boost.

It’s estimated Martin earns close to $1million on top of his football contract every year, with Carr confirming a new boots deal will also be done in the coming months."

New deal coming through advertising chopsticks too I heard.

Anyway back to Dunks. the points made about what we might get for him are really good.
We are only one injury away from needing Dunks in the midfield more.
If he wants more time in there, surely we can accommodate it.
Is he worth 700K in terms of numbers?

The Bulldogs Bite
30-10-2020, 11:33 AM
Is he worth 700K in terms of numbers?

Not for me.

Dunks is a very good player and I'd value him at around 600-650K.

His lack of pace and his skills will forever hold him back.

AshMac
30-10-2020, 01:25 PM
Not for me.

Dunks is a very good player and I'd value him at around 600-650K.

His lack of pace and his skills will forever hold him back.

This is what might be the sticking point IMO. No doubt dunks is a 600-650 player, a bit one dimensional but enormous upside in his preferred role. The conversation for the dogs - I’m assuming - would be lift his current contract as he has 2 more years of playing out what is probably 450-500.

The fact Essendon are throwing in the “we’ll recruit your brother and you can save his career” is both shrewd and manipulative - I think it is highly unethical tbh and if the conversation ever turns to Kyles well-being and his outcome in this trade I hope the finger is pointed squarely at the bombers for creating that tension, than the dogs for holding him back.

AshMac
30-10-2020, 01:27 PM
I flippantly threw out a possible scenario a few days ago and it has slowly burned into a full blown paranoid conspiracy theory that I just can’t shake:

3) Essendon lure Dunkley

#keepdunkley

Good lord dude - this is a long rabbit hole. We get JUH in the draft. next year all 40(ish) players and the coaching staff put their arms around him and cuddle him like the ‘beautiful baby that all our dreams are riding on’ that he is.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-10-2020, 02:55 PM
Put on your tinfoil hats

Vred
30-10-2020, 04:15 PM

3) Essendon lure Dunkley

#keepdunkley

This would almost fit in with what the poster on BomberBlitz was talking about 6 months ago how JUH doesn't want to come to the dogs and wants to go to Essendon...

Mofra
30-10-2020, 04:16 PM
Ok say it is all true, Dunkley is leaving, what can we get in return?

I am assuming that what we are pushing for is two first rounders. I'd really be pushing for one of them to be Essendons 2021 first rounder, it could be a top 5 pick quite easily even with the addition of both Josh Dunkleys to their dogshit lineup.

I don't want any Essendon players back because a) I don't rate any of them and b) I think with the way Essendon rate their players they'll overvalue them and diminish the rest of the compensation, meaning we get something crap like Zach Merrett and a future third or a nearly finished Michael Hurley and two second rounders "for the points".

I had a quick glance at BigFooty which is obsessed with the idea of us grabbing pick 8 (what they get for Saad) and sending that with our 2021 first rounder for Adelaides pick 2 (Crouch compo) this year (obviously with a "don't bid on JUH with pick 1" clause built in). I don't really see that eventuating on a number of levels but I like the aggressiveness of it.

Otherwise I'd be really pushing to use that other pick on someone that improves our side, and by that I mean we get a quality tall defender, small forward, pacy winger or ruck, all of which offers us something different. I know everyones first thought is "oh but whos available" but the point is Dunkley wasn't available until Essendon made him so, it would be super out of character for us but we need to start thinking like that as well.

I think under no circumstances should we chase Treloar. If we are going to bring him in on $900k (minus the $200k Collingwood is paying) then we might as well just pay Dunkley the $700k a year he allegedly wants to stay. On top of that I don't really rate Treloar, he reminds me of those flimsy wind up car toys; Really quick in short bursts but absolutely no sense of direction and fragile as hell. He is not the winger type we need, and we don't need to replace Dunkley in the midfield because a) we couldn't give him enough time there to keep him happy anyway allegedly and b) second string midfielders are cheap as hell, just grab Charlie Constable or Quinton Narkle for a future 4th.
I'd be asking for two first rounders - one this year, one in 2021.
Then we go to Geelong and offer the 2020 first rounder for Jordan Clark, with a potential late pick coming to us too that Geelong aren't likely to use.

EasternWest
30-10-2020, 04:26 PM
I'd be asking for two first rounders - one this year, one in 2021.
Then we go to Geelong and offer the 2020 first rounder for Jordan Clark, with a potential late pick coming to us too that Geelong aren't likely to use.

With the pensioners row they're assembling can Geelong afford to let go off Clark?

Bulldog Joe
30-10-2020, 04:32 PM
With the pensioners row they're assembling can Geelong afford to let go off Clark?

Surely they trade him out until he matures to fit their age profile.

Of course he will remember how great it is in Geelong and want to return when he is 30.

Vred
30-10-2020, 06:24 PM
''Hearing that Dunkley is staying and we can expect an announcement of a contract extension soon...
Stay tuned''

^ A known insider at the Dogs posting on BigFooty -

bornadog
30-10-2020, 06:29 PM
''Hearing that Dunkley is staying and we can expect an announcement of a contract extension soon...
Stay tuned''

Excellent if true.

WBFC4FFC
30-10-2020, 06:35 PM
Excellent if true.

If true, hope it does not set an example where someone threaten's to break a contract to hold the Club to ransom. What would stop Smith, Naughton and others doing likewise?

Vred
30-10-2020, 06:38 PM
If true, hope it does not set an example where someone threaten's to break a contract to hold the Club to ransom. What would stop Smith, Naughton and others doing likewise?

This is what pisses me off most, if the club is so scared to lose him just say NO, don't go and throw more money at him mid-contract.

Axe Man
30-10-2020, 06:45 PM
Stay tuned''

With all due respect I would place a "Known insider at the Dogs" from Bigfooty on about the same credibility rung as Ricky Nixon.

Vred
30-10-2020, 06:47 PM
With all due respect I would place a "Known insider at the Dogs" from Bigfooty on about the same credibility rung as Ricky Nixon.

I put them pretty much equal to the majority of AFL media at this time of year, aka, might know, might not, who knows.

EasternWest
30-10-2020, 06:49 PM

Couldn't agree with this more.

I'd be annoyed if we bent over backwards to retain Josh (who I like a lot but think we can "afford" to lose") only for others to take advantage of a set precedent.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-10-2020, 07:00 PM
Particularly when he only recently signed his contract which he must have been happy with.

Rocket Science
30-10-2020, 07:02 PM

Likewise, what's stopping rivals lobbing ambit claims thinking; if we get him, great, if we don't, we just squeezed their payroll a little more.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-10-2020, 07:18 PM
It does sometimes feel like we’re the only club with a salary cap.

Axe Man
30-10-2020, 07:21 PM
It does sometimes feel like we’re the only club with a salary cap.

I reckon Collingwood might have one, GWS as well.

GVGjr
30-10-2020, 07:55 PM
So if the speculation is correct, and I'm not sure that it is, that we've won Dunkley over because of a revised contract offer we might be creating some trouble for ourselves. Have we just handed a blueprint to other quality players and their managers on how we can be inspired to revise contracts?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-10-2020, 08:01 PM
So if the speculation is correct, and I'm not sure that it is, that we've won Dunkley over because of a revised contract offer we might be creating some trouble for ourselves. Have we just handed a blueprint to other quality players and their managers on how we can be inspired to revise contracts?

I guess it depends on how we've structure things. Maybe if he's extended another 3 years we've some room to move.

G-Mo77
30-10-2020, 08:29 PM

Exactly. Why extend him? He's got 2 years left for goodness sake! I really hope this isn't true, like you said another player sees this who is under contract and says "What about me?" Hold him to his contract or trade him.

Grantysghost
30-10-2020, 08:36 PM
Exactly. Why extend him? He's got 2 years left for goodness sake! I really hope this isn't true, like you said another player sees this who is under contract and says "What about me?" Hold him to his contract or trade him.

Yes this would not be a wise move. Basically we are holding all the aces atm, we do this we have completely wasted a decent hand. He's not going anywhere, unless we say so therefore we just keep cool and play the straight bat until 1.) Essendon give up and go away or 2.) Godfather trade.

This is a real test for the club we need to use it as a template for going forward, or we could really regret it considering the young talent we have on our list.

WBFC4FFC
30-10-2020, 09:05 PM
Yes this would not be a wise move. Basically we are holding all the aces atm, we do this we have completely wasted a decent hand. He's not going anywhere, unless we say so therefore we just keep cool and play the straight bat until 1.) Essendon give up and go away or 2.) Godfather trade.

This is a real test for the club we need to use it as a template for going forward, or we could really regret it considering the young talent we have on our list.

I know the Club has preemptively increased contracts of players already under contract, re-writing the existing one. (Pretty sure we did this with Naughton). So I am not against it unless it is a material extension, which would take Josh out of the Free Agency window at this next contract.

If he wants more cash now but still has two years left, what is the point. The Club is smarter than that.

jeemak
30-10-2020, 09:37 PM
Possibly a restructure of the deal for security and a little more money may in the long run work out for both Dunkley and us. It's a gamble, but not every player wants the same as the next (see Scotty Pippen's justification for signing onto a longer deal when he did).

If Dunkley feels like he's been low balled, what market diligence was his manager doing when he advised him to sign his last deal? Was his manager just looking for an easy pay day to keep numbers ticking over? Maybe Dunkley was too in love with the club last year and signed without giving proper consideration and he's had a come to Jesus moment and we're being conciliatory.

Apart from bad strategy on our part (which is a possibility for sure), something about us extending doesn't sound right.

1eyedog
30-10-2020, 09:49 PM
Likewise, what's stopping rivals lobbing ambit claims thinking; if we get him, great, if we don't, we just squeezed their payroll a little more.

We've been doing that to others for years! Hurley for example.

jeemak
30-10-2020, 09:53 PM

Isn't that just what teams do all the time?

Rocket Science
30-10-2020, 10:22 PM

Shhhh.

Isn't that just what teams do all the time?

Naturally, but the supposition around what extra curricular gravy other clubs can offer recruits gives pause for thought.

Grantysghost
30-10-2020, 10:56 PM
Apart from bad strategy on our part (which is a possibility for sure), something about us extending doesn't sound right.

It's the jumping at shadows that doesn't sit right with me. Yes the irony of that statement is not lost on me, but considering all year Josh has been outside our best midfield setup, (for a number of valid reasons) I would really struggle with the concept of us reacting to another sides valuation of him considering their demand for his type creates this assessment. Not to mention the inflationary forces needed to pry out a contracted player.
I've no problem renegotiating part way through a deal but the catalyst for this doesn't sit right for me. *

*if true. **
**probably isn't.

soupman
30-10-2020, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't be against an extension and subsequent restructure of his contract. I can't remember when he signed his current deal but I think it was prior to his outrageous run of 2019 form, so slightly unders at least for that output.

I think Dunkley rightly turns around to us and say "Essendon have given me this amazing offer, I love it here and all things being equal would prefer to stay, but their offer is very good and I would be an idiot to not consider it, how do you value me going forward"? We obviously would tell him we see him as being a long term part of the fabric of the club, and next thing you know we are asked to prove that. An extension is the logical way to do that, it gives both parties the opportunity to commit to the other and show they value eachother. From that a payrise is in order, and it makes sense to bring some of that payrise forward so that it isn't all owed in the extended period of the contract for our own salary cap reasons. If it happened in this manner Dunkley could very easily be handed a brand new contract worth a lot more immediately without it being either him taking advantage of the situation nor the club setting a dangerous precedent of external interest=immediate pay bump.

I know it feels like a slippery slope and feels like it means every player that signs a contract and then gets better can hold the club to ransom but I'm not sure thats the case. I think it would be more a show of good faith from both parties that they value the others input.

I'm not sure it works very often in the reverse though, although an example like Treloar who is a good chance of having to take a pay cut to play somewhere someone wants him shows that it can and does happen.

Happy Days
30-10-2020, 11:16 PM
Dunks is worth it. Glad to have this off my conscience.

Knew we were safe as long as "Western Bulldogs #5" was in his IG bio.

Grantysghost
30-10-2020, 11:25 PM

Why he ditched the famous Jim Edmond locker is beyond me.

The Adelaide Connection
31-10-2020, 12:25 AM
Imagine if Dunks has been on holiday somewhere with shit phone reception and comes back to civilisation and knows nothing about any of this.

I’m gonna take a deep breath and try to relax till something is actually said by someone who actually knows, rather than the constant headline grabbing speculation that media trade week ‘experts’ who have ‘heard from someone’ keep throwing out.

bornadog
31-10-2020, 12:39 AM

Can't see anything wrong with extending a contract. What is the big deal. I hope we extend The Bont as well soon.

People get worked up about player salaries? I get worked up about players leaving which is more important.

GVGjr
31-10-2020, 12:56 AM
Can't see anything wrong with extending a contract. What is the big deal. I hope we extend The Bont as well soon.

People get worked up about player salaries? I get worked up about players leaving which is more important.

If we can believe the reports as have been made I'd rather it not be played out leading into trade week and using the threat of moving to another club. If you think your being under valued and the club isn't receptive to a review then shop yourself around and follow through and leave if a better offer is found and a suitable trade can be made.
You either want contracts to have some meaning or you accept the view of many of the players of looking for the better deals even if they have 2 years to play out and putting pressure on the clubs to keep paying more.

Eastdog
31-10-2020, 12:58 AM

Great to hear from you Ghost Dog. Hope all is well.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-10-2020, 03:11 AM
I'm gonna reserve my comments til confirmation of a decision.

But if we've extended..I'm pretty happy.....any curmudgeonly F$%^er who has an issue with a renogiation.. we'll tango post announcement...
I'm leading with my chin....Josh may announce his leaving to the Bombers.....
Come at me..........

jeemak
31-10-2020, 03:12 AM
If we can believe the reports as have been made I'd rather it not be played out leading into trade week and using the threat of moving to another club. If you think your being under valued and the club isn't receptive to a review then shop yourself around and follow through and leave if a better offer is found and a suitable trade can be made.
You either want contracts to have some meaning or you accept the view of many of the players of looking for the better deals even if they have 2 years to play out and putting pressure on the clubs to keep paying more.

We get trapped into thinking in a black and white way. Pragmatism is actually a thing and good negotiators and responsible managers can actually find middle ground and get a result that is good for everyone without the need for guns to the head brinksmanship.

The AFL plays in a very murky world when it comes to contracts. Concessions are made by both sides (clubs and players) to ensure there's an amount of cake having and eating, and while the balance shifts from time to time generally speaking everyone seems to be happy with it because usually it's only fans like us (or disgruntled ex-players who missed out on the massive pay days) who get really shitty about it.

Everyone in the industry wants the flexibility, and rarely bemoans it.

No club or player/ manager combination is ever going to play cards that are honest, meaning information asymmetry is an issue negotiating parties need to manage when inking a deal. I'd prefer either full disclosure prior to the deal being made but that's never going to happen in such a dynamic negotiation landscape like the AFL, so failing that parties need to come together and actually work through issues as they arise.

jeemak
31-10-2020, 03:15 AM

But if we've extended..I'm pretty happy.....any curmudgeonly F$%^er who has an issue with a renogiation.. we'll tango post announcement...
Come at me..........

You're the Jason Statham to Chef's Vinnie Jones.

Grantysghost
31-10-2020, 06:56 AM
I wouldn't be against an extension and subsequent restructure of his contract. I can't remember when he signed his current deal but I think it was prior to his outrageous run of 2019 form, so slightly unders at least for that output.

It was mid way through June 2019 around about round 14 so he'd played a fair amount in midfield by then. Played first 5 rounds or so mainly as a forward. Really just over a year ago.

Excellent work by the club, also locked in Caleb at the same time.

Bulldog4life
31-10-2020, 10:43 AM

No he might have accepted a low offer to stay at the Bullies initially. There is nothing wrong with revising it. No one on this board really has a clue of the amount. We would be only guessing.

1eyedog
31-10-2020, 01:27 PM
The best thing Dunks could have done is indicated he wants out early. As least we are on the front foot with regard to potential targets.

ledge
31-10-2020, 04:01 PM
No he might have accepted a low offer to stay at the Bullies initially. There is nothing wrong with revising it. No one on this board really has a clue of the amount. We would be only guessing.

I actually think we can afford it , we aren’t drafting in big names by the looks

Topdog
31-10-2020, 06:48 PM
Wasn't Hurley a free agent when we offered

GVGjr
31-10-2020, 06:50 PM
Wasn't Hurley a free agent when we offered

I think so

The Pie Man
01-11-2020, 12:32 AM
My son put on the Hawthorn semi today, haven’t watched that game as much as the other finals.

Dunkley was close to BOG

Grantysghost
01-11-2020, 03:06 PM
Hope Bevo gives this flog the Barrett treatment hence forth.

https://i.postimg.cc/W4dDGTkQ/Screenshot-20201101-140350-Twitter.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
01-11-2020, 03:09 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/W4dDGTkQ/Screenshot-20201101-140350-Twitter.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

At the end of the day, we haven't heard anything from the club which tells me we are actually thinking about it.

The supporters get very anxious about this sort of thing and personally, I don't think it is good enough that we don't hear a response from the club. I know they are trying to maneuver the best deal possible, but it is excruciating.

AshMac
01-11-2020, 03:14 PM

I’d be furious with a first round pick that gets chewed up entirely in points with a player we are already guaranteed in the draft.

Grantysghost
01-11-2020, 03:17 PM
At the end of the day, we haven't heard anything from the club which tells me we are actually thinking about it.

The supporters get very anxious about this sort of thing and personally, I don't think it is good enough that we don't hear a response from the club. I know they are trying to maneuver the best deal possible, but it is excruciating.

My anxiety is in part the club involved, and the fear of not playing the amazing hand we have in the best way possible.
I'm reassured by Sam Power though he's a good operator. We just can not cave on this deal it's bigger than just Josh and Essendon.

Grantysghost
01-11-2020, 03:18 PM
I’d be furious with a first round pick that gets chewed up entirely in points with a player we are already guaranteed in the draft.

Yes surely that's incredible unders.

GVGjr
01-11-2020, 03:21 PM

Any pick in the first round will be traded for points in the 2nd round. We Just need to sit this one out and not fold to any pressure. I'm still confident Dunks will be a Bulldog in 2021

The Underdog
01-11-2020, 03:38 PM

He’s clearly getting his info from Essendon. I’m not saying there is no truth in it, but everything skews to the way Essendon want it to happen. And you’re right, if he was out of contract then pick 6-8 would probably do it under different circumstances but he’s not and an early pick is worth bugger all to us this year. It wouldn’t even help us get Finley Macrae

ledge
01-11-2020, 03:44 PM
Anyone realise it’s the same story as the first one a week ago just reworded .. not even updated except his opinion.

chef
01-11-2020, 03:55 PM
Maybe it'll be a future first round pick.

GVGjr
01-11-2020, 05:07 PM
Maybe it'll be a future first round pick.

The can't trade their first round pick next year unless they get another via a trade

jeemak
01-11-2020, 05:27 PM
Pick six, seven or eight we could use to on-trade for a player of need but I'd be expecting an additional player or future second in addition to that.

Testekill
01-11-2020, 05:36 PM

Tom Browne's source is Tom Browne but from a couple of days ago.

Jeanette54
01-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Any pick in the first round will be traded for points in the 2nd round. We Just need to sit this one out and not fold to any pressure. I'm still confident Dunks will be a Bulldog in 2021

I wish that I could share your confidence. Somehow the media seem to be able to generate pressure to get these sort of deals both underway, and done. Do we know for certain that Dunks wants out ? I have seen nothing concrete to suggest that, other than suspect media speculation.

ledge
01-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Let’s hope Cameron goes in the draft and Adelaide take him first pick.

Doc26
01-11-2020, 05:51 PM
He’s clearly getting his info from Essendon. I’m not saying there is no truth in it, but everything skews to the way Essendon want it to happen. And you’re right, if he was out of contract then pick 6-8 would probably do it under different circumstances but he’s not and an early pick is worth bugger all to us this year. It wouldn’t even help us get Finley Macrae

He works with Watson on the 7News.

As painful as the radio silence is from our side it’s the way to play it. Give em nothing. They need this to happen more than we have interest. If and when Dunks requests a trade that goes public we still play the same hand. I love it that the likes of Tom Browne are pushing an agenda, whether this is as much lead by click-bait copy, where he has no idea the cards that we will play. It’s a good way for us to check in with their rising levels of desperation, including their fan base.

Personally, I wouldn’t be raising an eyelid to it. WE determine our minimum before agreeing to speak terms with them, which of course must be overs. This should be nothing to do with us presenting or working towards a fair deal for Essendon. And it’s not like there’s any threat of Dunks moving next year. He’s locked into 2 years with us. Pickering won’t want this to play out in the press either, certainly not before he’s comfortable that there is a trade that will satisfy us. If Dunks does formally request a trade, then we do have a perfect opportunity to set ourselves up. Set them a deadline, and if they come up short, shut it all down so that we don’t disrupt our own focus on the trade period. Send a message out to convey our love for Dunks, and that we are confident that he will come to see himself as a Bulldog for Life.

It’s as if they see it that we are somehow obligated to make this happen for them and indeed Dunks if he does request to leave the kennel. Go back twelve months and see how obligated Essendon saw it to grant Francis and Daniher an escape from their contracts, and that’s from a legitimate sh..hole where Connor McKenna couldn’t wait to escape their spongy matting to a land where COVID is running rampant.

dukedog
01-11-2020, 06:50 PM

Come at me..........

I like this. I like this alot.

Happy Days
01-11-2020, 06:59 PM
One thing I am certain of is that Dunkley, if he does want to move, doesn't have a specific desire to play for Essendon, but rather has a desire to play for Essendon under the terms of the contract and/or role they've offered. There's no shot that he has looked at the club and become enamoured with their direction, their culture or their playing group, and its not like after two years he'll sprint into their waiting arms if other offers are around.

If a first round pick is the best they can do then we simply must hold firm.

The Doctor
01-11-2020, 07:04 PM
I agree with Tom Papley's dad

https://www.facebook.com/AFLTRDON/posts/tom-papleys-dad-isnt-holding-back-/2630287197037903/

Tom Browne is a Silver spoon fed Dodoro sycophant.

Hotdog60
01-11-2020, 07:08 PM
From Callum Twomey.

Essendon's pursuit of Josh Dunkley looks like heating up, while the Dockers eye off a speedy Cat and several quality players remain unsigned for 2021.
THE STANDOFF between the Western Bulldogs and Essendon will head into the start of this week's Trade Period with star midfielder Josh Dunkley yet to request a trade.

Dunkley has been weighing up a lucrative long-term deal from the Bombers despite having two years to run on his contract with the Bulldogs, where he played in the 2016 premiership.

He has been considering the Bombers' approach, with Essendon's pitch to the 23-year-old including its interest in selecting his brother – and former Demon – Kyle as a delisted free agent.

But Dunkley has not asked the Dogs to be traded to Essendon, despite the Bombers' growing suite of early draft picks giving it plenty of cards to make things happen.

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club's picks as they stand

The Bombers hold pick No.6 and now No.7 after accepting the free agency compensation for Joe Daniher's move to Brisbane, and are also targeting pick No.8 as part of the deal for Adam Saad.

Although the Dogs have made it clear they will not entertain a trade for Dunkley, draft picks also have less value for the club given their selections will be absorbed by matching a bid for top Next Generation Academy talent Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, who is expected to attract a bid inside the opening few selections. – Callum Twomey

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/news/523502/inside-trading-dogs-dons-in-dunkley-standoff-draft-s-fantastic-five-)

soupman
01-11-2020, 07:13 PM
Article above also says we enquired about McEvoy but were told to piss off, and that we are interested in Darcy Fort.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-11-2020, 07:16 PM
Article above also says we enquired about McEvoy but were told to piss off, and that we are interested in Darcy Fort.

Well at least it’s clear we have that interest.

jeemak
01-11-2020, 07:45 PM
How is it heating up if we haven't commented and Dunkley hasn't requested a trade. If anything it's cooled...……..

Doc26
01-11-2020, 07:51 PM
From Callum Twomey.

Essendon's pursuit of Josh Dunkley looks like heating up, while the Dockers eye off a speedy Cat and several quality players remain unsigned for 2021.
THE STANDOFF between the Western Bulldogs and Essendon will head into the start of this week's Trade Period with star midfielder Josh Dunkley yet to request a trade.

I quite like Cal but the narrative continues to be skewed and bemusing (note that he is a Bomber’s supporter). There’s no urgency for our Club to come to the party at all. It’s all up to Essendon to do the talking and make us an offer we can’t refuse. Dodo can be as stand-offish as he likes. The deal just won’t get done without Essendon generously opening up their wallets. Come on Bombers cough up big time and let’s see just just how committed you are to Josh given your poaching of a player with 2 years to run on his contract, or will you leave him high and dry?

Grantysghost
01-11-2020, 08:20 PM
If I was Sam Power I'd just print a life size cut out of Andrew O'Keefe, and have a button linked to an audio recording of him shouting "No Deal!" which I'd press every time Dodo walks in the room. Maybe his eyes could glow red or something but save that for version 2.0....

https://i.postimg.cc/jjFrfJ0r/article-2583140-1-C6112-D400000578-785-306x559.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Twodogs
01-11-2020, 08:52 PM
If I was Sam Power I'd just print a life size cut out of Andrew O'Keefe, and have a button linked to an audio recording of him shouting "No Deal!" which I'd press every time Dodo walks in the room. Maybe his eyes could glow red or something but save that for version 2.0....

https://i.postimg.cc/jjFrfJ0r/article-2583140-1-C6112-D400000578-785-306x559.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Why not ask the actual Andrew O' Keefe to sit in Power's office (it's not like he has a lot on his plate outside of making the Chaser) to yell "no deal! when Dodo walks in. We could even hook him up to an electronic device that makes his eyes light up.

Grantysghost
01-11-2020, 09:19 PM
Why not ask the actual Andrew O' Keefe to sit in Power's office (it's not like he has a lot on his plate outside of making the Chaser) to yell "no deal! when Dodo walks in. We could even hook him up to an electronic device that makes his eyes light up.

Love it.

Does his salary come under the soft cap? Maybe we just load him up with Footscray Market vouchers. :cool:

Twodogs
01-11-2020, 09:34 PM
Love it.

Does his salary come under the soft cap? Maybe we just load him up with Footscray Market vouchers. :cool:

I reckon he'd go for that. The marketeers on the other hand.

Twodogs
01-11-2020, 09:40 PM

Did we up Brian Lake's contract because he had signed for a longish term at a pretty low rate when he was starting out?

I seem to remember that happening.

Rocket Science
02-11-2020, 12:11 AM
So we just spent two seasons holding Trengove hostage, who's a plodding ruckman and defender, yet we've supposedly just asked about 31 year old McEvoy, who's a plodding ruckman and defender.

Aaaaalrighty then.

jeemak
02-11-2020, 12:15 AM
So we just spent two seasons holding Trengove hostage, who's a plodding ruckman and defender, yet we've supposedly just asked about 31 year old McEvoy, who's a plodding ruckman and defender.

Aaaaalrighty then.

In your view who's a better ruck? Who's a better defender?

Reckon McEvoy is a better ruck and more influential as one around the ground, and it's possibly even in terms of marking the bigger forwards.

Rocket Science
02-11-2020, 12:39 AM
In your view who's a better ruck? Who's a better defender?

Reckon McEvoy is a better ruck and more influential as on around the ground, and it's possibly even in terms of marking the bigger forwards.

Sure, McEvoy's been a serviceable but extremely limited contributor in either role. He'll turn 32 next season too.

I wouldn't opine on Trengove because I've forgotten what he looks like but would suggest the extent to which the former represents an upgrade on the latter for season 2021 might be measured in bees dicks.

Have we just decided someone who can ruck and defend might be useful? Or is McEvoy *that* attractive a proposition?

Am jumping at shadows here because let's face it, that's what this time of year's all about, but I haven't seen a fringe player we've been linked to yet that doesn't make me groan with resignation.

jeemak
02-11-2020, 01:21 AM
Man, I get it. I do think that with his extra height and dedication to the craft over time that McEvoy is a better ruck than Trengove, and that's something that's been exacerbated by the fact Trengove hasn't had a chance to refine it at the top level.

What I haven't really seen from McEvoy though is any real mobility beyond what Trengove has offered, but again it's hard to tell as I didn't watch much of the Hawks this year and I definitely didn't watch much of Trengove aside from that one time when his mobility looked shot, so again, I revert to height advantage.

I really hate this time of year because we as supporters are damned if we think positive thoughts, or damned if we think negative thoughts about prospects and the in-between emotions match neither in dopamine output.

There's also the missing out element as well. The Saints went hell for leather last year and got a sugar hit, we recruited sensibly and stagnated (although I think we played poorly pound for pound and should have their measure) but it feels much worse than that and it's shaping up to again. However, I am getting closer and closer to thinking that if you're actually in the media at this time of year as the recipient of a supposed gold mine of boom recruits you're either a destination club (which we're not) or a club looking to distract basically everyone from how shit you've been or probably are (which again, we're not).

dog town
02-11-2020, 06:30 AM
Man, I get it. I do think that with his extra height and dedication to the craft over time that McEvoy is a better ruck than Trengove, and that's something that's been exacerbated by the fact Trengove hasn't had a chance to refine it at the top level.

What I haven't really seen from McEvoy though is any real mobility beyond what Trengove has offered, but again it's hard to tell as I didn't watch much of the Hawks this year and I definitely didn't watch much of Trengove aside from that one time when his mobility looked shot, so again, I revert to height advantage.

I really hate this time of year because we as supporters are damned if we think positive thoughts, or damned if we think negative thoughts about prospects and the in-between emotions match neither in dopamine output.

There's also the missing out element as well. The Saints went hell for leather last year and got a sugar hit, we recruited sensibly and stagnated (although I think we played poorly pound for pound and should have their measure) but it feels much worse than that and it's shaping up to again. However, I am getting closer and closer to thinking that if you're actually in the media at this time of year as the recipient of a supposed gold mine of boom recruits you're either a destination club (which we're not) or a club looking to distract basically everyone from how shit you've been or probably are (which again, we're not). If true that we approached McEvoy then I would have thought it’s because he can still impact forward when not in the ruck. The reason Trengove struggles for a game as a ruckmen is that he can’t do that.

Danjul
02-11-2020, 10:18 AM

you're either a destination club (which we're not) or a club looking to distract basically everyone from how shit you've been or probably are (which again, we're not).

This is the most important thing written on the forum recently. It sums up all that has been wrong with the Dogs for years.

Why not???

Even after winning a premiership quality players don’t see going to the Dogs as a career move. Why is that?

Could it be watching the premiership group disintegrate, so many discarded or going to play elsewhere?

Could it be seeing those who did come to the club treated poorly or have terrible seasons?

Could it be a failed game strategy where they perceive pressure to do things differently?

The club must address the way they are viewed in the wider football community, then they might see a genuine way forward.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-11-2020, 10:22 AM
Ok I know I should stop sharing this sh*t, but there was another hilarious, pro-bomber article on fox sports. It went into our search for a ruck and how we enquired about McEvoy. Also mentioned we went after Preuss which I think is incorrect. Anyway it mentioned we could ask for a tall from Essendon in any Dunkley deal but then said "it’s unlikely Essendon have any talls the dogs would want"....

I can think of a couple but clearly this media do not want them suggested and/or think it would be fair. It’s just ridiculous this bias. And why?

Mofra
02-11-2020, 10:25 AM
It does indicate we're after ruck support, which is what Bevo mentioned after our losing final.
I think the fact that there is nobody available is correct. Ruckmen are now a valuable commodity and for one reason or another Trengove is not seen as that ruck support option for next year.