PDA

View Full Version : Trade Dunkley

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

comrade
05-11-2020, 04:52 PM
He’s basically saying it’s because he wants to play more midfield time. But no other issues with the club.

Yeah, good one Dunks. It's nothing to do with the huge increase in pay you're being offered.

As if playing as a full time mid for a bunch of scrubs like Essendon is the only drawcard. Pickering thinks we're idiots if he honestly believes we'll cop that.

DOG GOD
05-11-2020, 04:53 PM
As much as I hate the way Bevo has used Dunks on field because it's just stupid and doesn't make sense from a football perspective, Pickering is just rationalising a decision that is 100% money based to try and make his client look better.

But I also hope it makes Bevo sit back and have a think, because his shenanigans opened the door for this sort of BS.

Agree 100%

Sedat
05-11-2020, 04:54 PM
Makes it hard for Dunks to save face and stick with the Bulldogs when the manager goes public like that.

Hopefully it backs Essendon into a corner and they bend over.
What a terrible look for our club to be supposedly young and in contention for the next few years to have one of our best U23 players wanting out with 2 years still to run on his contract, let alone a player of impeccable character and a future leader. Not to mention him choosing to go to a cesspit that has been useless and non-competitive in finals for most of this century.

Simply embarrassing for the club from the top down. Irrespective of whether or not he stays, today has been a dark day for the club. Clock is ticking on Naughts and Bailey Smith mega offers from other clubs now. We now don't have a single player on our list (Bont included) who is untouchable, and we will passively fall down to being competition also-rans before too long.

Bulldog4life
05-11-2020, 04:54 PM
Treloars contract.
“The real issue here is that this is almost like one of those balloon mortgages where his deal is back-ended and back-ended and back-ended. He has done that so the club could secure the likes of Dayne Beams and Daniel Wells and be in the premiership window. Now they’re saying to him ‘we want to get rid of you’.

comrade
05-11-2020, 04:55 PM
I hope we keep pushing the required player line publicly while doing all we can to squeeze Essendon. The list DOES need a shake up and this is an opportunity to get some assets that may do that.

It is a risk, but if we nail it, it could help us climb out of the 7-10 middle of nowhere position we're currently stuck in.

SquirrelGrip
05-11-2020, 04:56 PM
This is Papley all over again. Bulldogs won’t let him go without a godfather offer. We hold all the cards.

comrade
05-11-2020, 04:58 PM
This is Papley all over again. Bulldogs won’t let him go without a godfather offer. We hold all the cards.

Papley was more about coming back to family if a deal could be done where as I think Dunkley effectively calling into question publicly the decision making of the head coach makes it difficult for him to walk back into the club.

1eyedog
05-11-2020, 04:59 PM
What a terrible look for our club to be supposedly young and in contention for the next few years to have one of our best U23 players wanting out with 2 years still to run on his contract, let alone a player of impeccable character and a future leader. Not to mention him choosing to go to a cesspit that has been useless and non-competitive in finals for most of this century.

Simply embarrassing for the club from the top down. Irrespective of whether or not he stays, today has been a dark day for the club. Clock is ticking on Naughts and Bailey Smith mega offers from other clubs now. We now don't have a single player on our list (Bont included) who is untouchable, and we will passively fall down to being competition also-rans before too long.

Let's see how we respond.

FWIW I think getting offered that sort of coin and the opportunity to be numero uno inside mid is a no-brainer even if it is Essendon. We have an opportunity to turn Dunkley who was a pick in the mid-20s into some serious collateral.

1eyedog
05-11-2020, 05:01 PM
Papley was more about coming back to family if a deal could be done where as I think Dunkley effectively calling into question publicly the decision making of the head coach makes it difficult for him to walk back into the club.

Was it really though? He wants more midfield time who does Bevo chop out in there to run Dunks through it more?

Grantysghost
05-11-2020, 05:03 PM
Wow, that's a step towards the bridge lighting ceremony. Getting your manager to question the coaches direction, whether you agree or not, in order to force or justify a trade is for all intents and purposes stepping away from the group. It's different to Papley in this sense as it appears he's maybe mentally a Bomber already. This doesn't augre well. He's the captain's bff!

SquirrelGrip
05-11-2020, 05:04 PM
Let's see how we respond.

FWIW I think getting offered that sort of coin and the opportunity to be numero uno inside mid is a no-brainer even if it is Essendon. We have an opportunity to turn Dunkley who was a pick in the mid-20s into some serious collateral.

Yes Josh wants to go for the bananas and to also be the big banana, but he’ll not burn any bridges by staying. Everyone understands the temptation he’s given to set himself up.

There are 2 scenarios I see:

1. He goes and we get over-compensated (we won’t trade otherwise)
2. He stays and within months has a contract extension and pay rise

Either way the club is doing the right thing.

DOG GOD
05-11-2020, 05:04 PM
I have a feeling dodo will win this one over power. I’m thinking pick 7 will do it. We will fold under the pressure. And it will be done so late in the friggin trade period, that we will be stuck with pick 7 and it will be sucked up with Jamarra. Yep I know this is worse case scenario, but this IS the dogs I’m talking about.

comrade
05-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Was it really though? He wants more midfield time who does Bevo chop out in there to run Dunks through it more?

Someone mentioned above that Pickering said Dunkley doesn't like rucking. I think it's a BS excuse and a cover for what is a financial decision, but he's questioning the coach publicly. Can't imagine Bevo would be happy.

SquirrelGrip
I have a feeling dodo will win this one over power. I’m thinking pick 7 will do it. We will fold under the pressure.

President Pete won’t let the negotiations end with that result.

Scraggers
We also have Riley Garcia coming through after his leg injury just before the draft last year. From all reports, his engine is huge. Does Dunks see the writing on the wall?

SquirrelGrip
05-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Someone mentioned above that Pickering said Dunkley doesn't like rucking. I think it's a BS excuse and a cover for what is a financial decision, but he's questioning the coach publicly. Can't imagine Bevo would be happy.

Pickering didn’t say that. He said Josh is happy to play a role for the team but his preference is to be the big kahuna in the midfield.

Grantysghost
05-11-2020, 05:06 PM

We know he holds a decent grudge.

Bulldog4life
05-11-2020, 05:07 PM
Well if the club thinks trading Dunkley is best for the club they should decide where he goes. Let's open up the discussion with all clubs. It is not just up to Dunks to decide where he goes....he is under contract.

Dancin' Douggy
05-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Dunkley for Treloar I don't really like. Dunkley for Stephenson? I like a little more.

Bulldog4life
I have a feeling dodo will win this one over power. I’m thinking pick 7 will do it. We will fold under the pressure. And it will be done so late in the friggin trade period, that we will be stuck with pick 7 and it will be sucked up with Jamarra. Yep I know this is worse case scenario, but this IS the dogs I’m talking about.

In that case he will stay.

SquirrelGrip
Well if the club thinks trading Dunkley is best for the club they should decide where he goes. Let's open up the discussion with all clubs. It is not just up to Dunks to decide where he goes....he is under contract.

The club needs to ensure that it gets the best possible return. Otherwise he doesn’t go.

Bulldog4life
05-11-2020, 05:09 PM
Pickering didn’t say that. He said Josh is happy to play a role for the team but his preference is to be the big kahuna in the midfield.

Must be jealous of the Bont. Not a true mate.

bornadog
05-11-2020, 05:10 PM

I can't see your reasoning on this?

This is a player being offered a huge contract, why does it have to be the clubs fault.?

It will be the clubs fault if we bend over on this and get screwed.

All I can say is F you Dunkley, because that is how I feel.

Grantysghost
05-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Surely there's more to this. I expect that they've met in person since he returned, and I also expect the club being very aware of the situation have tried to satisfy Josh's demands but it just hasnt happened; his camp has now made this decision to move it closer by going public.
Suggests talks with Dogs either didn't satiate his demands or he has already made the decision to leave and there's no changing his mind.
It's pretty sad all around have to say.

jeemak
05-11-2020, 05:13 PM
So Dunkley views himself as at a minimum the third best and third most important midfielder at our club, but the club views him in his mind as the fourth.

He wants to go to a club where he is considered the best, and isn't having to be a role player.

Oh.....and there's the small matter of the money.

I'm actually OK with all of that. And I also think we hold firm for a massive massive over-payment from EFC or he stays and plays where and how we want him to.

This hasn't put any more pressure on us. The pressure on EFC to get the deal done now is astronomical.

Bulldog4life
05-11-2020, 05:17 PM
At the end of the day the doggies have the whip hand. Good position to be in.

Grantysghost
05-11-2020, 05:17 PM
So Dunkley views himself as at a minimum the third best and third most important midfielder at our club, but the club views him in his mind as the fourth.

He wants to go to a club where he is considered the best, and isn't having to be a role player.

I'm actually OK with all of that. And I also think we hold firm for a massive massive over-payment from EFC or he stays and plays where and how we want him to.

This hasn't put any more pressure on us. The pressure on EFC to get the deal done now is astronomical.

I didn't think of that, you're dead right. Sam....You can do it!

DOG GOD
05-11-2020, 05:18 PM

Pretty much.

Let’s take the $$ out of the equation. When does Bevo take a hard look in the mirror and admit to at least 30% of the Dunkley decision to leave? Playing him as a spare parts mid/fwd/2nd ruck surely has had an impact on Dunks.

Rocket Science
05-11-2020, 05:18 PM

Won't disagree with the 'cover' angle but even if Dunkley's not being slung into the ruck occasionally he's still what, 4th in line within our current midfield group?

We love what Dunks brings but I'm less sold than Dodo on whether he's up to being the big banana and between he and Shiel, not sure I'd characterise the entries the Bombres' forwards are likely to receive as silver service either.

Let the lad have his squillions, just royally bend them over in the process.

comrade
05-11-2020, 05:19 PM
The pressure on EFC to get the deal done now is astronomical.

Yep, that I do agree with.

No doubt Pickering and Dodo have been in conversation throughout and Dodo knew the request was going public today so I hope he's prepared to deal.

ledge
05-11-2020, 05:19 PM
Wouldn’t look forward to playing against us I would imagine.
It’s got to be money , I can’t see any other reason.
They are a basket case team wise.

josie
05-11-2020, 05:23 PM
Let’s turn this into a massive win. Quoting Alice Cooper “We got the Power!!”.

Great opp for Lippy and Westy to show us what they are made of as inside midfielders.

Could be the makings of premiership number 3 if we can turn this into ready to go player or two plus a 2021 high draft pick which I understand is supposed to be a cracker draft.

Need to re-sign Bont and Smith to long term deals soon.

And note to el supremo Mr Beveridge: - please address our ruck problem pronto.

comrade
We should pick his brother up if he leaves.

bulldogsthru&thru
I know this is about money but Pickering also said other clubs inquired. Bevo has brought this on with his stupid idea of playing Dunks in the ruck. This is a bad bad day for our club. A thorough review is desperately needed.

dog town
05-11-2020, 05:25 PM
If you consider potential career trajectory and earning potential for Dunkley you can understand the lure of the deal he has been given. The clubs just gotta do everything right and hold him to his deal unless it’s of major benefit.

In regards to the midfield time unfortunately for Josh it’s a team sport and coaches need to weigh these calls all the time. For all the talk of versatility we are not especially versatile and Josh is arguably the best forward of our mids and one of the ones we can partially cover. No great mystery to it despite the ill informed comments about it.

As a coach in these situations you can obviously recalibrate and sell a change of role to Josh. I’m sure we have done that up to a point but once you are seeing the guaranteed progression (max mid time) plus the money it’s going to be hard to sway him back.

My thoughts are we hold him as tightly as we can and tinker with the role (where possible) next season.

SquirrelGrip
05-11-2020, 05:27 PM

He has never said he thinks he’s the best or even third or sixth best. What he said through Pickering is that he wants to be the main man and would have that opportunity at the Dodos. Maybe he realises how much better our other mids are and he won’t ever be that with us?

But you are also right in that the pressure is all on them and it is indeed astronomical.

Grantysghost
05-11-2020, 05:28 PM
He has never said he thinks he’s the best or even third or sixth best. What he said through Pickering is that he wants to be the main man and would have that opportunity at the Dodos. Maybe he realises how much better our other mids are and he won’t ever be that with us?

But you are also right in that the pressure is all on them and it is indeed astronomical.

Would he be the main man in front of Merrett and Shiel, I seriously doubt it.

$$$$$$$$$$$

And that's OK. It's a job. But, loyalty goes both ways so buh bye Josh.

bornadog
05-11-2020, 05:29 PM

One of his reasons for going to Essendon, besides the money, is Essendon promised him they would recruit his brother.

The Underdog
05-11-2020, 05:30 PM

Love it.

The Underdog
05-11-2020, 05:32 PM
Would he be the main man in front of Merrett and Shiel, I seriously doubt it.

$$$$$$$$$$$

And that's OK. It's a job. But, loyalty goes both ways so buh bye Josh.

They ain’t Bont and Macrae.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-11-2020, 05:33 PM
There's many moving parts here and I don't believe it's any ONE factor which leads to this.

Money - it's a big pay day. Main factor? Probably, but many-a-player has turned down big contracts for loyalty and team success of which now he hasn't done.

Positional - No doubt he didn't like playing second ruck and wants to be first mid.

Bevo - Sorry mate, but you're a factor in this one. Playing one of our best mids as second ruck was idiotic.

Opportunity - He can look after his brother financially.

Disappointing and I'd really question Dunkley as a leader now. In fact I'll say it straight - you're not a leader's ass, Josh. A real leader doesn't run for money, sook over playing varying positions and put himself before the team which is EXACTLY what he's doing by requesting a trade.

Looking at it objectively, we can maybe afford to trade him IF we get a deal we like. I'm not sure we should ask for any draft pick - a future first, maybe, but I think I'd rather try and target the combo of Treloar and Stephenson for Dunkley. We need talent that can contribute NOW, not a stab-in-the-dark and look-how-young-we-are draft pick.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-11-2020, 05:34 PM
So disappointing from Dunks.
I fear we will be worse off with him leaving, if we cave.
We do hold the whip hand, and I sincerely hope we stick to our guns.
I will be livid if we somehow blink and wind up with Treloar or Stephenson.
Dunks you're here for 2 more years, make the most of it.

G-Mo77
05-11-2020, 05:39 PM
So disappointing from Dunks.
I fear we will be worse off with him leaving, if we cave.
We do hold the whip hand, and I sincerely hope we stick to our guns.
Dunks you're here for 2 more years, make the most of it.

Really? I'd be rapt if we got Treloar for Dunkley, he's exactly what we need.

Dunkley said a lot by saying nothing the other day, I knew he wanted to go and like I said the other day good riddance. We need to make the most out of this and get some much needed polish into this team and not just settle for a pick.

jeemak
05-11-2020, 05:39 PM

Possibly you're right. But I'd not be surprised if some of the triggering for looking elsewhere is coming from think HE should be a main midfielder for us.

soupman
05-11-2020, 05:44 PM
Pretty disappointed in Dunkley, he is one of the last players I would've expected to put their hand up for this. I hope he knows what he is getting himself into, Essendon are a joke. If he is worried about unprofessionalism he's gonna love going to a club that employs Jake Stringer and is happy to draft players purely because their brother is on the list and not because they've earned it (Kyle reportedly).

We need to at a minimum get their 2021 first rounder as well as another first rounder either this year or next, and use that latter pick to improve our list not merely replace Dunkley.

We won't be stuck with it as such because trade period ending is only the point where you can't trade players anymore, draft picks (including future ones) can be traded up until you use them, so pick 7 could be traded at any point should we receive it.

comrade
05-11-2020, 05:49 PM

Agreed, if we parlay Dunkley into those 2, I'll be unhappy as neither really address the huge structural issues we have (and Stephenson in particular is almost as flaky as Bailey Dale).

cinder
05-11-2020, 05:49 PM
Pretty disappointed in Dunkley, he is one of the last players I would've expected to put their hand up for this. I hope he knows what he is getting himself into, Essendon are a joke. If he is worried about unprofessionalism he's gonna love going to a club that employs Jake Stringer and is happy to draft players purely because their brother is on the list and not because they've earned it (Kyle reportedly).

Maybe he'll learn 'the grass isn't always greener on the other side' lesson. But it will be too late.

Rocket Science
05-11-2020, 05:53 PM
Just venting ...

Clear-eyed me can comprehend the nuts and bolts of what's brought us here.

But filthy me is seething we're vulnerable to a rival, let alone those detestable pricks, just waltzing in and poaching a young member of our core.

It's okay though, we're getting Mitch Hannan.

Rocket Science
05-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Maybe he'll learn 'the grass isn't always greener on the other side' lesson. But it will be too late.

Yeah but the floors are softer. Luxuriantly so.

dukedog
05-11-2020, 05:55 PM
We are gonna absolutely raped in this deal. We dont ever seem to hold people to contracts. I hope power has a set of nuts

comrade
05-11-2020, 05:57 PM
Disappointing and I'd really question Dunkley as a leader now. In fact I'll say it straight - you're not a leader's ass, Josh. A real leader doesn't run for money, sook over playing varying positions and put himself before the team which is EXACTLY what he's doing by requesting a trade.

Yeah, I always thought of Dunkley as the type that would crawl over glass to be successful and he plays to win flags. Now I KNOW he's leaving for money, but coming out publicly and saying he's leaving because he wants to be the main midfielder just reeks.

One of the worst reasons for leaving I've heard.

comrade
05-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Just venting ...

Clear-eyed me can comprehend the nuts and bolts of what's brought us here.

But filthy me is seething we're vulnerable to a rival, let alone those detestable pricks, just waltzing in and poaching a young member of our core.

It's okay though, we're getting Mitch Hannan.

And Lonie probably.

dukedog
05-11-2020, 05:59 PM
Its a money thing. If he went to the coach and said ill stay if i can play here. And coach rates him highly he would get what he wanted . They better make this shit work. Plenty of pissed of supporters if we get played

Jeanette54
05-11-2020, 06:02 PM
I say this most trade seasons..... absolutely gutted.

The first game I remember clearly was against the Dees, on my fifth birthday. We were thrashed, and I went home in tears. But I kept the faith, really had no choice, the Bulldogs were family. The seasons came and went and It got to the stage I thought I would never see a Premiership (other than the old night comp) come the way of the "Dogs in my life time. Then came 2014, and the reserves premiership. When the player banner was unfurled referring to the 1924 VFA Premiership, it was again tears. My Grandad saw that 1924 game, and the Victorian Championship win (against Essendon), it was family folklore. It hurt he was no longer here to share the win.

As supporters its hard to see the casual way loyalty is traded for the dollar. We are supporters for life, generations in fact. Players come and go. Its just a shame those that chase the dollar have never known the love of the club that most supporters feel. We might be critical of some of its decisions, and acknowledge that sometimes the club gets it wrong. But we will never leave, not while we still have the breath to make it to the ground and yell support for OUR players.

Dunks, the fact you have asked to be traded, will forever taint your place in Bulldog history, premiership team member or not. I hope the extra money is worth that. Personally I hope the club holds on to you, and sits you on the bench, to watch the season with the rest of us.

dukedog
05-11-2020, 06:04 PM

Great opp for Lippy and Westy to show us what they are made of as inside midfielders.

Could be the makings of premiership number 3 if we can turn this into ready to go player or two plus a 2021 high draft pick which I understand is supposed to be a cracker draft.

Need to re-sign Bont and Smith to long term deals soon.

And note to el supremo Mr Beveridge: - please address our ruck problem pronto.

This is exactly what needs to happen. Good calls

Axe Man
05-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Its a money thing. If he went to the coach and said ill stay if i can play here. And coach rates him highly he would get what he wanted . They better make this shit work. Plenty of pissed of supporters if we get played

If he did that I would be trading him without hesitation. The players don't make those decisions. Every backpocket is a midfielder in their dreams.

Happy Days
05-11-2020, 06:05 PM
I actually buy his reasoning about not wanting to play ruck and wanting to be in a position to be the lead horse. The money is probably the main motivating factor but the other stuff is more believable than moving to Geelong for family reasons or something.

At any rate, Dunkley is good and definitely better than Shiel, and the Bombers know it. I really hope we realise there's no reason we have to trade him.

Happy Days
05-11-2020, 06:07 PM
Also if we end up with Hurley and/or Hooker I'm changing teams.

westbulldog
05-11-2020, 06:21 PM
DIsappointing. Ok Josh go and play with Stringer. There are 16 better clubs you could choose other than that rabble. You follow in the footsteps of the likes of the other mercenaries like Ward and Griffin. Oh, and Chris Grant has more loyalty in one fingernail than you have demonstrated. Shut the door on your way out.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-11-2020, 06:23 PM
We can still keep him if a deal can’t be done but I suppose it wouldn’t help us to have an unwilling player

G-Mo77
05-11-2020, 06:27 PM
The whole "Give your brother a spot on the list if you come to us" really is disgusting. I'm surprised this has been lost on so many. It's like GWS giving Scully's Dad a spot on the list when he went over there. It's so close to cheating, gross. We better sign up Jack Macrae's bro or he'll go somewhere else as well.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-11-2020, 06:29 PM
So Essendon have been chatting to Dunks for months. We brought this on. Why didn’t the bombers go for an out of contract Jack Steele?

Twodogs
05-11-2020, 06:36 PM

Gorillaz I reckon.

Bullies
05-11-2020, 06:36 PM
We can still keep him if a deal can’t be done but I suppose it wouldn’t help us to have an unwilling player Lets get the best deal and move on. What an opportunity for West and Lippa to step up.

Danjul
05-11-2020, 06:38 PM
I actually buy his reasoning about not wanting to play ruck and wanting to be in a position to be the lead horse. The money is probably the main motivating factor but the other stuff is more believable than moving to Geelong for family reasons or something.

At any rate, Dunkley is good and definitely better than Shiel, and the Bombers know it. I really hope we realise there's no reason we have to trade him.

we’ll, why didn’t we use him in that role so we got maximum value ? His first ruck contest was in his first game and in 5 years he has never looked comfortable there. I hope he is going for the money, otherwise someone else should be going too.

(We have also seen Bont and Macrae in ruck contests, and they looked equally uncomfortable.)

Twodogs
05-11-2020, 06:39 PM
So Essendon have been chatting to Dunks for months. We brought this on. Why didn’t the bombers go for an out of contract Jack Steele?

I'm calling bulltish on that. The players and footy department were living on top of one another in a hub and we didn't notice one of our guys talking to a opposition club?

Yeah OK, sure. That's something that definitely happened.

Rocket Science
05-11-2020, 06:39 PM

There's but one of those tainted pricks I could stomach in our colours and it's McDonald-Tipungwuti.

Happy Days
05-11-2020, 06:41 PM
we’ll, why didn’t we use him in that role so we got maximum value ? His first ruck contest was in his first game and in 5 years he has never looked comfortable there. I hope he is going for the money, otherwise someone else should be going too.

(We have also seen Bont and Macrae in ruck contests, and they looked equally uncomfortable.)

Because we have like 5 midfielders better than Shiel?

I think it's fair for him to be aggrieved that he had to do it by virtue of being the least shit at it, and probably fair for him to think he should have been a first choice centre bounce player ahead of Libba after his 2019.

Hindsight t20 or whatever but I wonder if Dunkley as the 30/70 forward and Libba as a full time mid is something we'll regret for the next 10 years.

Grantysghost
05-11-2020, 06:42 PM
I'm still grappling with how bad this looks. How often does a 23 yr old guy who's won a flag, a Doug Hawkins medal and is a member of a sides leadership group, ask for a trade to a basket case like the Dons? Stepping back from this and looking back it's really hard to believe.
Money must be a huge motivator, but I dare say there's a missing piece to this puzzle. Not sure what, could speculate its his team mates but there's no evidence of that.
Even when Essendon juiced up half their team they stayed loyal!
Sincerely,
Confused from Footscray.

DOG GOD
05-11-2020, 06:45 PM
I'm still grappling with how bad this looks. How often does a 23 yr old guy who's won a flag, a Doug Hawkins medal and is a member of a sides leadership group, ask for a trade to a basket case like the Dons? Stepping back from this and looking back it's really hard to believe.
Money must be a huge motivator, but I dare say there's a missing piece to this puzzle. Not sure what, could speculate its his team mates but there's no evidence of that.
Even when Essendon juiced up half their team they stayed loyal!
Sincerely,
Confused from Footscray.

Other than money, it’s got to be the ruck role surely, and the fact he’s not getting the midfield time. Maybe he sees this as a major step back in his development. Maybe he’s had a fallout with Bevo over this.

Grantysghost
05-11-2020, 06:46 PM

I think it's fair for him to be aggrieved that he had to do it by virtue of being the least shit at it, and probably fair for him to think he should have been a first choice centre bounce player ahead of Libba after his 2019.

Hindsight t20 or whatever but I wonder if Dunkley as the 30/70 forward and Libba as a full time mid is something we'll regret for the next 10 years.

Dusty and Danger and a raft of others don't seem to have a problem playing forward? Ruck I get, but forward I don't buy as much.

Sedat
05-11-2020, 06:52 PM

The last player to do that was Lachie Neale. I don't want Dunks to be the next Neale, because he is EXACTLY what that Bombers need and he absolutely has the capability to become their midfield go-to man.

WBFC4FFC
05-11-2020, 06:56 PM

We were 0-2 and dead last after the first two rounds before Libba came back from injury.

Dunk's is versatile and Bevo used him in positions that best suited the side, as I suspect any half-decent coach at AFL level does.

All this does is provide an option to trade, if what the Club receives in return is deemed more of an improvement than keeping Dunks for a further two-years.

Dunks a professional. Hell, he got into the Leadership Group. There is no issues in keeping him and Dunks playing to his high standards.

Having said all that, all bets are off if he pulls a Costanza in trying to get sacked, dragging the 2016 trophy along the ground! Link Below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yngq9NmOnFw

Rocket Science
05-11-2020, 06:56 PM
Digressing slightly, there's a simple of way of cutting through the magic pudding of excuses player agents trot out annually for their clients seeking a move.

Publicise player salaries, y'know, like literally every other professional sporting code in the world.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-11-2020, 06:58 PM
I'm calling bulltish on that. The players and footy department were living on top of one another in a hub and we didn't notice one of our guys talking to a opposition club?

Yeah OK, sure. That's something that definitely happened.

I’d say it was with his manager who the talked it with Dunks. Stuff it. Dunkley. He has no nickname now.

Sedat
05-11-2020, 06:59 PM
I can't see your reasoning on this?

This is a player being offered a huge contract, why does it have to be the clubs fault.?

It will be the clubs fault if we bend over on this and get screwed.

All I can say is F you Dunkley, because that is how I feel.

He is 23yo, exceptionally talented, contracted for 2 years and on top of that a solid citizen and future leader. And he is not 'going home' a-la Tim Kelly (who was out of contract anyway). They don't grow on trees.

All these factors combined on a player wanting to depart the club is really a savage indictment on the direction of our club. There is no other conclusion to make.

I want to keep him because he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. I think we are under-selling his 2019 form as an inside beast mid.

Grantysghost
05-11-2020, 07:03 PM
We were 0-2 and dead last after the first two rounds before Libba came back from injury.

Dunk's is versatile and Bevo used him in positions that best suited the side, as I suspect any half-decent coach at AFL level does.

All this does is provide an option to trade, if what the Club receives in return is deemed more of an improvement than keeping Dunks for a further two-years.

Dunks a professional. Hell, he got into the Leadership Group. There is no issues in keeping him and Dunks playing to his high standards.

Having said all that, all bets are off if he pulls a Costanza in trying to get sacked, dragging the 2016 trophy along the ground! Link Below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yngq9NmOnFw

I fear no reprisals...

1eyedog
05-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Yeah Hunter for sure. Josh isn't even in our best half dozen players. Expect Dunks to demand a trade this week.

When I said this week I didn't mean today!

Vred
05-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Disgusted. Completely and utterly disgusted.

Club better put Essendon over a barrel and turn this into A tier talent in the form of a ruck, forward and back man, if we turn this into *!*!*!*!ing draft picks and more kids I’ll be changing teams.

The Underdog
05-11-2020, 07:34 PM

Club better put Essendon over a barrel and turn this into A tier talent in the form of a ruck, forward and back man, if we turn this into *!*!*!*!ing draft picks and more kids I’ll be changing teams.

To Essendon?

azabob
05-11-2020, 07:37 PM
A new club statement has been released.

It appears Dunkley is gone....

“ The Club has been in frequent dialogue with Josh and his management over the past few weeks, and reiterated its intention for him to remain a Western Bulldogs player.

Accordingly, the Bulldogs remain committed to improving our playing list through the Trade Period and the National Draft, to build on back-to-back seasons of playing in the AFL Finals.”

HOSE B ROMERO
05-11-2020, 07:40 PM
He is 23yo, exceptionally talented, contracted for 2 years and on top of that a solid citizen and future leader. And he is not 'going home' a-la Tim Kelly (who was out of contract anyway). They don't grow on trees.

All these factors combined on a player wanting to depart the club is really a savage indictment on the direction of our club. There is no other conclusion to make.

I want to keep him because he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. I think we are under-selling his 2019 form as an inside beast mid.

I agree. Essendon's players/draft picks hold no interest in my view. And not sure on Treloar.
Stand firm.
And if he stays i would back him to play the way next year in the same manner he always has.

HOSE B ROMERO
05-11-2020, 07:47 PM
And why does the whole trade period, unrestricted, restricted, academy, etc, have to be so b_____ long??

It should be just a single evening like a speed dating night.

Not that i've been to one; although some of my dates were in a hurry.

hujsh
05-11-2020, 07:48 PM

“ The Club has been in frequent dialogue with Josh and his management over the past few weeks, and reiterated its intention for him to remain a Western Bulldogs player.

Accordingly, the Bulldogs remain committed to improving our playing list through the Trade Period and the National Draft, to build on back-to-back seasons of playing in the AFL Finals.”
Alternatively Dunkley is gone...if we can improve our list in the process

GVGjr
05-11-2020, 07:53 PM
I'm not going to bag Dunkley in the slightest and I get the angst of our supporters

The positives from my perspective are:
We know we have done the right thing here. We committed to the player with a long contract, recognised his potential and promoted him to the leadership group and even the VC role.
He's won a flag, played finals football and and is well respected and loved

The negatives are:
We have stuffed him around a bit and moved him away from the midfield but this can be resolved by the end of the trade period
A godfather offer from a rival club has pricked his ears and an 'all about the money' player manager hasn't helped our cause

Positives part two:
We hold the Aces and we would be very confident that his professionalism will overcome things if he is still with us next year. I can't see the players giving him any grief and Bevo will do what he can to bring him back into the fold
Pickering comments clearly put the acid test on Essendon to make compelling trade offers
If we fold, we are effectively putting an open for business sign on Naughton and Smith and we won't want to do that

Negatives part two:
Having to deal with Essendon and Dodoro

Option 1:
I want 2 x second round picks this year (at least 1,500 points) and a first round pick next year

Option 2:
I want a first round pick this year and next.

The pendulum shifts a bit more Essendon's way but we aren't out of the running here because we can use the Tom Papley model

bornadog
05-11-2020, 07:54 PM
Really? I'd be rapt if we got Treloar for Dunkley, he's exactly what we need.

Dunkley said a lot by saying nothing the other day, I knew he wanted to go and like I said the other day good riddance. We need to make the most out of this and get some much needed polish into this team and not just settle for a pick.

Yeah that was my worry then as well.

Both are cooked - I am with you

We were in the same hub as Essendon. They have undermined the whole setup and been in his ear. Jack was in a Hub at Noosa.

Lets get the best deal and move on. What an opportunity for West and Lippa to step up.

Hopefully Sam can pull up a deal that gets us some good players.

Great Opportunity for West as well as Garcia and yes Lippa

Happy Days
05-11-2020, 08:04 PM
Get Draper. He’s perfect for us.

Rocket Science
05-11-2020, 08:10 PM

Is that the best spin we can muster because it may as well read "to build on back-to-back seasons of getting immediately turfed out of the AFL Finals."

ledge
05-11-2020, 08:12 PM

I see it as bend over or we keep him.

Grantysghost
05-11-2020, 08:18 PM
Club statement :

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/834078

Dancin' Douggy
05-11-2020, 08:20 PM
Tippa. And One of their first round picks this year which we flip for a player. With a top ten pick we can go hard for someone. And next years first rounder. That’s what we should demand. Or NO DEAL!

Vred
05-11-2020, 08:27 PM
Tippa. And One of their first round picks this year which we flip for a player. With a top ten pick we can go hard for someone. And next years first rounder. That’s what we should demand. Or NO DEAL!

Please no not Tippa, I rate him so incredibly poorly

Rocket Science
05-11-2020, 08:31 PM

For sure, I can't imagine how we'd find room for a skilled, speedy small forward who lives to chase blokes down.

We've got those types up the wazoo.

bornadog
05-11-2020, 08:31 PM
For sure, I can't imagine how we'd find room for a skilled, speedy small forward who lives to chase blokes down.

We've got those types up the wazoo.

Would be nice along side JUH

Dancin' Douggy
05-11-2020, 08:40 PM

Tippa AND 2 top 10 picks. On we trade for Stephenson. ( not treloar). One we take to next years draft. I would do

Vred
05-11-2020, 08:45 PM
Tippa AND 2 top 10 picks. On we trade for Stephenson. ( not treloar). One we take to next years draft. I would do

Id consider that for sure.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-11-2020, 08:52 PM
I’m a Naughton/Bont/Smith wanting to leave away from completely abandoning the AFEL. I won’t support a premier league like competition.

Essendon will NEVER overpay. We’re gonna have to keep Dunkley. If we cave for unders or near value then I’ll be absolutely fed up.

Happy Days
05-11-2020, 08:55 PM
Why don't we simply not trade him.

We've got Stef Martin now you'll never have to ruck again Dunks please don't leave.

Vred
05-11-2020, 09:03 PM
Why don't we simply not trade him.

We've got Stef Martin now you'll never have to ruck again Dunks please don't leave.

reading the club statement I feel we might not let him go unless the perfect trade is reached

Jeanette54
05-11-2020, 09:09 PM
reading the club statement I feel we might not let him go unless the perfect trade is reached

We will let him go, we always do. This club does not have the guts to play hardball, it just has no self respect when the muck hits the mistral.

kruder
05-11-2020, 09:11 PM
I'm not going to bag Dunkley in the slightest and I get the angst of our supporters

We know we have done the right thing here. We committed to the player with a long contract, recognised his potential and promoted him to the leadership group and even the VC role.

The negatives are:
We have stuffed him around a bit and moved him away from the midfield but this can be resolved by the end of the trade period
A godfather offer from a rival club has pricked his ears and an 'all about the money' player manager hasn't helped our cause

Positives part two:
We hold the Aces and we would be very confident that his professionalism will overcome things if he is still with us next year. I can't see the players giving him any grief and Bevo will do what he can to bring him back into the fold
Pickering comments clearly put the acid test on Essendon to make compelling trade offers
If we fold, we are effectively putting an open for business sign on Naughton and Smith and we won't want to do that

Negatives part two:

Option 1:
I want 2 x second round picks this year (at least 1,500 points) and a first round pick next year

Option 2:

The pendulum shifts a bit more Essendon's way but we aren't out of the running here because we can use the Tom Papley model

Whats your strategy around the draft pics? I personally want a serious player to come in but seems unlikely to happen this year with such little notice. I understand the value of next year which may also enable us to make a serious play for someone but time is now at the Bulldogs, we cant afford to waste another year around the periphery.

DOG GOD
05-11-2020, 09:16 PM

I’m predicting pick 7 which we will ontrade.
The minimum we should be getting is pick 7, their future 1st and Tippa.

The Adelaide Connection
05-11-2020, 09:20 PM
This is legitimately a deal with the devil.

Peptide Satan: "Can we get them to sell their soul?"
"Will it be enough for their culture to implode?"
"Can we pinch JUH?"
"Will we get a discount if we book Dunks and JUH in at the same time to get their 'Mark of the Beast' (aka Fat Jake's tattoo).

GVGjr
05-11-2020, 09:29 PM
Whats your strategy around the draft pics? I personally want a serious player to come in but seems unlikely to happen this year with such little notice. I understand the value of next year which may also enable us to make a serious play for someone but time is now at the Bulldogs, we cant afford to waste another year around the periphery.

You can still do that plus accumulate the points to cover Ugle-Hagan

Lets say Essendon get us 2 x 2nd round picks this year and a 1st rounder next year for Dunks
We could then go to to the likes of Collingwood for Treloar, Richmond for Higgins or even GWS for Caldwell or O'Halloran (although this is a longer shot) with our pick 14 and probably get something coming back to us this year. A senior player to cover the loss of Dunks, more points to cover JUH and an extra pick in the first round for next season
None of this overly appeals to me but I think it' highlights there are options

Rocket Science
05-11-2020, 10:03 PM
We're playing a very straight PR bat here but it already feels like posturing to make Dodo try harder, and more crucially, sooner.

The one bit of legit leverage the conniving turd has is - assuming we have now multiple marbles in play, be they Treloar, Stephenson or anyone else - how do we achieve certainty with other targets when we're not sure if and when Dodo makes an offer worth our time, and the nuisance stalling that ensues.

His trump card is basically I can and will f**k you around. Take my ambit claim now and get on with your life, or wait and hope I take things seriously enough with a real offer, if it's not too late. *insert troll grin*

If he's still yanking our chain inside the last couple of days I hope we draw an internal line, resolve to hold Dunkley and leave time to conclude other business.

SonofScray
05-11-2020, 10:15 PM
The fact he wants to go to Essendon really irks me most of all. Its the biggest insult a player can lay at our feet as fans.
I think we should keep him and force him to hold his value by giving us two years of All Australian football in his preferred role. Win another flag and then go. Can then have the money and the honour of being the most unpopular dual premiership Bulldog in history.

jeemak
05-11-2020, 10:31 PM

I do understand why it kind of looks bad, but I probably couldn't be as vehement about it as you are. However, I think you're missing another significant conclusion that could be made and that's that he's moving for the money.

We extended him and gave him a bump last year and for all intents and purposes he was happy with it. So we've done the right thing, and now he wants more which is fair enough if that's what he wants.

What I guess I'm asking is what is the justification for this being a "savage indictment" on the club. Yes I understand you've listed his attributes as a player, but that's not really the same thing as a justification of such a strong stance. I'm genuinely not trying to be a smartarse with this either, I just don't get the why this is all pinned on the club.

Sedat
05-11-2020, 11:05 PM
I do understand why it kind of looks bad, but I probably couldn't be as vehement about it as you are. However, I think you're missing another significant conclusion that could be made and that's that he's moving for the money.

We extended him and gave him a bump last year and for all intents and purposes he was happy with it. So we've done the right thing, and now he wants more which is fair enough if that's what he wants.

What I guess I'm asking is what is the justification for this being a "savage indictment" on the club. Yes I understand you've listed his attributes as a player, but that's not really the same thing as a justification of such a strong stance. I'm genuinely not trying to be a smartarse with this either, I just don't get the why this is all pinned on the club.

Of course money is a factor but he would know he is going to get a handsome contract at his current club that would be not far short of his Essendon offer, if at all.

To even consider leaving at his age with 2 years to go on his contract, not to mention being elevated to the leadership group - it says to the outside world that the club is not a harmonious place. The best clubs have core playing groups that all stick together and take collective pay cuts in the pursuit of team success. Dunkley is a central core play for us, and he wants to leave for the unsuccessful shithole near Melbourne Airport.

bornadog
05-11-2020, 11:08 PM
Of course money is a factor but he would know he is going to get a handsome contract at his current club that would be not far short of his Essendon offer, if at all.

To even consider leaving at his age with 2 years to go on his contract, not to mention being elevated to the leadership group - it says to the outside world that the club is not a harmonious place. The best clubs have core playing groups that all stick together and take collective pay cuts in the pursuit of team success. Dunkley is a central core play for us, and he wants to leave for the unsuccessful shithole near Melbourne Airport.

I don't know what money he is on now, but it would most likely be around $400k, or even $500k? If he is being offered from what is reported around $700k, do you think we should match that? From his perspective, that is a huge increase.

It is very hard to turn down at age 23.

Sedat
05-11-2020, 11:16 PM
I don't know what money he is on now, but it would most likely be around $400k, or even $500k? If he is being offered from what is reported around $700k, do you think we should match that? From his perspective, that is a huge increase.

If he plays like he did in 2019 it is money well spent. Essendon know what he is capable of.

This has Lachie Neale written all over it.

jeemak
05-11-2020, 11:21 PM
I never really thought about having Libba being back to his best (or very close to) as ever being a risk for the club, but here we are. While I'm sure playing in the ruck may have been enough to frustrate, I have a feeling it's the fact Libba had a resurgence that triggered any apprehensions about midfield minutes with us......if indeed Dunkley actually had apprehensions.

bornadog
05-11-2020, 11:23 PM
If he plays like he did in 2019 it is money well spent. Essendon know what he is capable of.

This has Lachie Neale written all over it.

Would be hard for us to pay that sort of money.

bulldogtragic
05-11-2020, 11:24 PM
Out of curiosity, has there been a rumour of when Essendon first got in his ear?

jeemak
05-11-2020, 11:25 PM

Thanks for your response.

I possibly see it as more of an insult rather than an indictment, but there you go. Completely agree that the best clubs have core playing groups that all stick together, of course until they don't but we're not one of the best clubs as yet.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-11-2020, 11:29 PM
Out of curiosity, has there been a rumour of when Essendon first got in his ear?

Only word was "a few months ago".

Sedat
05-11-2020, 11:30 PM
Thanks for your response.

I possibly see it as more of an insult rather than an indictment, but there you go. Completely agree that the best clubs have core playing groups that all stick together, of course until they don't but we're not one of the best clubs as yet.
Dunks is a fabric player who also happens to have a high ceiling, as evidenced by his devastating form in 2019. It's only my opinion but I see it as a terrible look for the club to see him openly wanting to leave. It's not a 27yo free agent looking for their last massive pay day (which I would understand).

Twodogs
05-11-2020, 11:32 PM
I never really thought about having Libba being back to his best (or very close to) as ever being a risk for the club, but here we are. While I'm sure playing in the ruck may have been enough to frustrate, I have a feeling it's the fact Libba had a resurgence that triggered any apprehensions about midfield minutes with us......if indeed Dunkley actually had apprehensions.

I want to talk about midfield minutes and playing as a spare ruckman. We can have only 3 mids at a centre bounce. The only way you can fit 4 in is if one of them contests the actual bounce. Dunkley (or Bont/MacRae/Smith) aren't really expected to win the tap, their job begins when the ball hits the ground. At that time feasibly we should outnumber the opposition mids by one. Having Dunkley or whoever isn't actually a ruckman contest the ruck contest virtually is playing them as a midfielder.

Unless the opposition ruckman gets a clean tap to his teammate's advantage then theoretically the numbers are to our advantage when the ball hits the ground. That's why we do it later in quarters when everyone has tired a bit and the ruckmen find it harder to get off the ground.

That's the theory as I see it anyhow. Otherwise we'd use some a bit taller like Bruce or Cordy but they would immediately become a spare part that isn't of much use to the contest between midfielders.

Cyberdoggie
05-11-2020, 11:35 PM

So we keep him for at least another year, preferably two. By 25 we should know what he is or isn't. If they still want him then great, if not then there would definitely be other suitors out there.
We would be mad to trade him now imho.

jeemak
05-11-2020, 11:38 PM
I want to talk about midfield minutes and playing as a spare ruckman. We can have only 3 mids at a centre bounce. The only way you can fit 4 in is if one of them contests the actual bounce. Dunkley (or Bont/MacRae/Smith) aren't really expected to win the tap, their job begins when the ball hits the ground. At that time feasibly we should outnumber the opposition mids by one. Having Dunkley or whoever isn't actually a ruckman contest the ruck contest virtually is playing them as a midfielder.

Unless the opposition ruckman gets a clean tap to his teammate's advantage then theoretically the numbers are to our advantage when the ball hits the ground. That's why we do it later in quarters when everyone has tired a bit and the ruckmen find it harder to get off the ground.

That's the theory as I see it anyhow. Otherwise we'd use some a bit taller like Bruce or Cordy but they would immediately become a spare part that isn't of much use to the contest between midfielders.

Absolutely. The coach has plainly stated it's about trying to turn a weakness into an advantage in the way you've described.

jeemak
05-11-2020, 11:39 PM

Only word was "a few months ago".

But definitely not in the first two weeks of August.

bulldogtragic
05-11-2020, 11:45 PM
But definitely not in the first two weeks of August.

So how many games had he been rucking and not playing mid minutes by then, to a demoralizing point, such that he was receptive to moving to another club? 6-7 games in a weird season was his breaking point?

Twodogs
05-11-2020, 11:45 PM
So we keep him for at least another year, preferably two. By 25 we should know what he is or isn't. If they still want him then great, if not then there would definitely be other suitors out there.
We would be mad to trade him now imho.

Yep. No is the simplest word in the English language to say. We hold the whip hand. Dunkley is contracted for 2 more years to play football with us and he's not going to sit out 2 years. For one thing he won't get paid because he's not fullfilling his end of the contract.

We should set a deadline for Essendon to make an offer that suits us and if they don't then we just say that we expect Josh to play out his contract. Essendon have got in his ear, made the running and the offer and now it's up to them to make it happen.

I don't think that they can and I think that Josh will be playing with us next year.

Twodogs
05-11-2020, 11:54 PM
Absolutely. The coach has plainly stated it's about trying to turn a weakness into an advantage in the way you've described.

Indeed it is. It may not have worked but we gave it the good old British try and now it's time to move into a more conventional set up.

One of the points I was trying to make though is that if Josh wants to be in the midfield ahead of some stiff competition in Bont/Jack/Libba/Baz and we can only have 3 mids at a bounce then one of the ways to achieve it is by nominally contesting the bounce.

It's pretty much the same as being a starting mid. Use that opportunity to then prove that you deserve the spot ahead of others by getting your hands in the ball.

FrediKanoute
06-11-2020, 12:44 AM

And if we get to the restricted free agency position in 2 years time and he want to go we have a fist round pick coming our way.....

FrediKanoute
06-11-2020, 01:14 AM

The negatives are:

Positives part two:

Negatives part two:

Option 1:

Option 2:

I think this is sensible. Do we really think Dunkley is or could be at the Dusty/Danger/Ablett Jnr/Judd level? He is a beast as an inside mid, but I still think he is an ordinary kick (where the above aren't) and he is one paced, where again the above aren't. In the short term 2 to 3 seasons, losing Dunks will place more pressure on Libba. It will mean that we are short if Libba goes down which given his history is not beyond the realms of possibility. We have options though. Lippa is a year behind Dunks in his development, but like Lippa is constantly played out of position. He could fill the inside mid role; Westy is one who will benefit from one of Dunks/Libba/Lippa going as it would free a spot for him and he showed enough this year to convince me that he will be a gun; Garcia - who knows, but was drafted as an inside mid; and left field Wallis could in a pinch be the inside mid.

Aside from half backs who we have plenty of, I think inside mid is a position we can cover. If we play this right it sets us up well. He is worth more to the bombers that he is to us, so lets make them pay or we keep him.

dog town
06-11-2020, 04:20 AM
Forward minutes were more significant than ruck minutes.

Hotdog60
06-11-2020, 06:37 AM
What happened in the good old days when it was frowned upon poaching players from other clubs.
Did that go out the door with free agency? Back in the day clubs would get into a lot of trouble poaching now it seems part of the norm.

Bullies
06-11-2020, 07:03 AM
Out of curiosity, has there been a rumour of when Essendon first got in his ear? I think you will find the Managers shop them around as well. Liam would have checked in with him during his time in Qld and he would have said he would prefer more time in the middle. I think the ruck part would just be an excuse they are looking for. At the end of the day it is the $$$$$ will be the main reason and Pickering likes the coin as well. I noticed they have pulled the line that the culture was bad which was going around before. Some of his team mates and the club may not have been too impressed with that. Now they are saying it is more about opportunity. More about the $$$.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-11-2020, 07:37 AM
Managers are the problem

Danjul
06-11-2020, 08:27 AM
So how many games had he been rucking and not playing mid minutes by then, to a demoralizing point, such that he was receptive to moving to another club? 6-7 games in a weird season was his breaking point?

Dunkley has always been viewed as a ruckman. He got his first hitout in his first game, early 2016. It was the start of the ‘ruck is not important nonsense ‘ that has helped hold the team back. He had 1 hitout and 15 disposals.

When used in the ruck In the 5 years since then he stood flat footed while bigger bodies have crashed into him and handed the ball to the opposing rovers. He has been effectively out of the game while the opposition gets a free run. We have seen it with others- we did it with Bont in the 2019 elimination final and it helped GWS take him out of the game.

When Dunkley has spent significant time in the ruck his stats are half (or less) of what he would expect. He loses and the team loses (big time). We could have won the 2020 elimination final by treating him and the ruck position with some respect. In that game he got 0 hitouts and 13 disposals- worse than his first game.

Maybe he is smart enough to know he is not progressing the way professionals should. Who’s next?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-11-2020, 08:40 AM
We're playing a very straight PR bat here but it already feels like posturing to make Dodo try harder, and more crucially, sooner.

The one bit of legit leverage the conniving turd has is - assuming we have now multiple marbles in play, be they Treloar, Stephenson or anyone else - how do we achieve certainty with other targets when we're not sure if and when Dodo makes an offer worth our time, and the nuisance stalling that ensues.

His trump card is basically I can and will f**k you around. Take my ambit claim now and get on with your life, or wait and hope I take things seriously enough with a real offer, if it's not too late. *insert troll grin*

If he's still yanking our chain inside the last couple of days I hope we draw an internal line, resolve to hold Dunkley and leave time to conclude other business.

Yep, agree, I think we need to turn the tables on Dodo here.
Let him know that if we were to let Dunkley go, it's only going to be off the back of the deal being done early enough in trade period, to our satisfaction whilst other replacement targets are still available.
Once that door closes, sorry we're not taking any more phone calls this year, come back and talk to us about Josh in 12 months... or 2 years for FA.

hujsh
06-11-2020, 09:15 AM
I think this is sensible. Do we really think Dunkley is or could be at the Dusty/Danger/Ablett Jnr/Judd level? He is a beast as an inside mid, but I still think he is an ordinary kick (where the above aren't) and he is one paced, where again the above aren't. In the short term 2 to 3 seasons, losing Dunks will place more pressure on Libba. It will mean that we are short if Libba goes down which given his history is not beyond the realms of possibility. We have options though. Lippa is a year behind Dunks in his development, but like Lippa is constantly played out of position. He could fill the inside mid role; Westy is one who will benefit from one of Dunks/Libba/Lippa going as it would free a spot for him and he showed enough this year to convince me that he will be a gun; Garcia - who knows, but was drafted as an inside mid; and left field Wallis could in a pinch be the inside mid.

Aside from half backs who we have plenty of, I think inside mid is a position we can cover. If we play this right it sets us up well. He is worth more to the bombers that he is to us, so lets make them pay or we keep him.

Nah. I could see Kennedy (Sydney) or Tom Mitchell level though.

Axe Man
06-11-2020, 09:33 AM
Dunkley has always been viewed as a ruckman. He got his first hitout in his first game, early 2016. It was the start of the ‘ruck is not important nonsense ‘ that has helped hold the team back. He had 1 hitout and 15 disposals.

When used in the ruck In the 5 years since then he stood flat footed while bigger bodies have crashed into him and handed the ball to the opposing rovers. He has been effectively out of the game while the opposition gets a free run. We have seen it with others- we did it with Bont in the 2019 elimination final and it helped GWS take him out of the game.

When Dunkley has spent significant time in the ruck his stats are half (or less) of what he would expect. He loses and the team loses (big time). We could have won the 2020 elimination final by treating him and the ruck position with some respect. In that game he got 0 hitouts and 13 disposals- worse than his first game.

Maybe he is smart enough to know he is not progressing the way professionals should. Who’s next?

Can you please stop inventing facts to suit your narrative? Everybody here knows the drum you are banging and it's worn out.

He didn't play in the ruck in his first game, yes he had a hitout, so did Jordan Roughead and Tom Boyd who were the actual ruckmen. It was 2016 and third man up was still a thing. Mitch Wallis, Michael Barlow and Nat Fyfe also had hitouts in that game, I suppose they were all playing in the ruck too?

There is no issue arguing that Dunkley shouldn't play in the ruck but saying that if he didn't play in the ruck he would get +20 possessions, we would be better off and win is a massive over-simplification and conveniently ignores a great number of factors. There are pros and cons to the approach to the ruck we have taken, maybe the cons outweigh the pros but to continually argue it's all negative and not even recognise the reasons why the coaches have gone this way is completely unbalanced.

Serious question - how much time did Josh spend in the ruck in the final? My recall is that it was minimal but happy to be corrected.

bornadog
06-11-2020, 09:50 AM
Can you please stop inventing facts to suit your narrative? Everybody here knows the drum you are banging and it's worn out.

He didn't play in the ruck in his first game, yes he had a hitout, so did Jordan Roughead and Tom Boyd who were the actual ruckmen. It was 2016 and third man up was still a thing. Mitch Wallis, Michael Barlow and Nat Fyfe also had hitouts in that game, I suppose they were all playing in the ruck too?

There is no issue arguing that Dunkley shouldn't play in the ruck but saying that if he didn't play in the ruck he would get +20 possessions, we would be better off and win is a massive over-simplification and conveniently ignores a great number of factors. There are pros and cons to the approach to the ruck we have taken, maybe the cons outweigh the pros but to continually argue it's all negative and not even recognise the reasons why the coaches have gone this way is completely unbalanced.

Serious question - how much time did Josh spend in the ruck in the final? My recall is that it was minimal but happy to be corrected.

Good post Axeman.

I also want to know how many minutes Dunks spent in the ruck during this season.

He played 12 games this year. Certainly didn't ruck in the first three games. Then he was injured and came back for round 10 v Power. I don't recall him in the ruck that night. Then it was Lions, Crows, Demons, Cats. I think he played in the ruck against Crows and Demons. Didn't ruck against WC, but did in final for 5 minutes here and there.

Maybe my memory is going :D

Yes it is not ideal, but it is over blown by many.

Grantysghost
06-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Nah. I could see Kennedy (Sydney) or Tom Mitchell level though.

He reminds me of Luke Parker, and he was a cornerstone of the Swans successful periods over the last 10 years.

westbulldog
06-11-2020, 09:52 AM
As far as I am concerned Dunkley is no longer a bulldog. If he is made to stay he can play VFL all year for all I care, his credibility is now zero.

jeemak
06-11-2020, 10:03 AM
He reminds me of Luke Parker, and he was a cornerstone of the Swans successful periods over the last 10 years.

In that there's literally nothing on the planet as adorable to himself as himself?

Mofra
06-11-2020, 10:04 AM
This is an incredible opportunity, as much as it hurts to lose Dunkley.

bornadog
06-11-2020, 10:09 AM

Play our cards right and we could fill the gaps.

The Pie Man
06-11-2020, 10:18 AM

Good comparison - think Parker uses the ball better, but there’s similarities for sure

The Pie Man
06-11-2020, 10:19 AM

Absolutely! Midfield bats pretty deep (Dunks probably does have legit concerns re: midfield time)

bulldogsthru&thru
06-11-2020, 10:24 AM
As far as I am concerned Dunkley is no longer a bulldog. If he is made to stay he can play VFL all year for all I care, his credibility is now zero.

He’ll certainly get his precious midfield time in the VFL.

Happy Days
06-11-2020, 10:36 AM
I really don't want to lose Dunkley. I think he's a better player than Libba and we got the mix wrong.

We should only trade him if they present something that makes us do it.

comrade
06-11-2020, 10:43 AM
I really don't want to lose Dunkley. I think he's a better player than Libba and we got the mix wrong.

We should only trade him if they present something that makes us do it.

I'm not sure he's better than Libba, but he's definitely got more good footy left in him than Libba.

Libba getting through 2020 unscathed was a minor miracle and no doubt assisted by the shorter games and reduced season. I doubt we get another full season out of him again.

The Pie Man
06-11-2020, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure he's better than Libba, but he's definitely got more good footy left in him than Libba.

Libba getting through 2020 unscathed was a minor miracle and no doubt assisted by the shorter games and reduced season. I doubt we get another full season out of him again.

Can Lipinski be our next inside beast (after Libba - he’s not quite best 22 for mine RN)

Don’t like Paddy on the outside

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-11-2020, 11:04 AM
Can Lipinski be our next inside beast (after Libba - he’s not quite best 22 for mine RN)

Pat would really need to improve his defensive pressure and ability to stick tackles if he were to transition to this role. He was a veritable witches hat this year defensively.

divvydan
06-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Looks like Essendon are trying to get their hands on a 2021 Rd 1 pick, probably with the view of using it as part of a Dunkley trade given that a first rounder next year holds more value for us than one this year.

hujsh
06-11-2020, 11:12 AM
Looks like Essendon are trying to get their hands on a 2021 Rd 1 pick, probably with the view of using it as part of a Dunkley trade given that a first rounder next year holds more value for us than one this year.

I hope they really stretch to get one and then we say nah.

Mofra
06-11-2020, 11:14 AM
First this year and next, and we turn this years first two picks into a player or two + points for Jamarra and hold two firsts into next year.

We need to be working the phones to work out who is "gettable". I'd be making a call to Ben McKay at North for a KPD post to start with.

Happy Days
06-11-2020, 11:23 AM
I want a player. I know professional sports are all about being good at some arbitrary point in the future but with the state of our list we should aim to be good now.

comrade
06-11-2020, 11:31 AM

As YHF mentioned, Lippa's tackling can be woeful but on the plus side, when switched on his cleanliness in close is very nice and his best attribute so if Dunkley goes, he'd be a decent fall back.

soupman
06-11-2020, 11:57 AM
I think Lipinski is a solid (potentially really good) link up player who covers the ground well, is clean with the ball and uses it constructively and positively. He has shown he can do this, his big issues atm are that he is not a good inside mid, he goes missing in big games (see the final) and most frustratingly in seemingly every game has multiple moments where he is brushed aside and fails to execute an important defensive effort.

Next on the depth chart to take Dunkleys role as second string mid are:
-West, who lacks size but has tenacity and has already rolled through there.
-Williams, has shown signs there before as a good inout guy and has even done a preseason as a mid but I would be very reluctant to take him out of defence where he is finally clicking, although this would help us solve the issue of how to fit 26 HBFs in the same team.
-Garcia, seems to be highly rated and put in some promising performances in the scratch matches but has yet to play a game and is probably way too small for a proper midfield role.
-Jong, is the most physically similiar to Dunkley but way more injury prone and no where near as good. Decent stop gap i guess.

Other possible candidates would have been Wallis (but he has been a poor mid for years now and is an excellent forward so no), McLean (out for the year and has been pretty underhwelming aside from a couple of games so no) and Gowers (Dangerfield the second, but no).

The Pie Man
Pat would really need to improve his defensive pressure and ability to stick tackles if he were to transition to this role. He was a veritable witches hat this year defensively.

Agree totally - think he has the physical frame to get even bigger and hopefully start sticking tackles & winning more ball on the inside.

He’s not best 22 right now in my eyes, but another pre-season could see him step up.

bulldogsthru&thru
https://www.jkl-d.com/

Has Josh done his due diligence of Essendon? He’s either not very bright or extremely insulated in his family because nothing lines up with his apparent values and playing for Essendon. I seriously just don’t get it. I’m sure we could bridge the money gap enough to convince him to stay. Something else must be going on.

The Pie Man
06-11-2020, 11:58 AM
Forgot about Jong soupaman, good call

comrade
06-11-2020, 11:59 AM

has josh done his due diligence of essendon? He’s either not very bright or extremely insulated in his family because nothing lines up with his apparent values and playing for essendon. I seriously just don’t get it. I’m sure we could bridge the money gap enough to convince him to stay. Something else must be going on.

money.

Bulldog4life
06-11-2020, 12:05 PM
The more I think about it the more I don't want the club to trade Dunkley. He is on a 2 year contract by heavens. Looking at the big picture it is a shocking look to the group that if they want to leave, even on a contract, that you won't have a problem. The ripple affect could be terrible for us. Who knows.

This has to be a line in the sand moment for our club. I want us to be like Sydney last year with Papley and he wanted to go home. Dunkley only wants to move suburbs. This is not a go home factor. Even the Bummers wouldn't trade Daniher last year. Plenty of players have wanted to go but end their career with the initial club. Dunkley would be a ten year player with the Bummers and definitely captain material.

Over the years I have seen a number of players leave us. From Wee Georgie, David Thorpe, Dempsey, Huppatz, McGuiness, Quinlan, Round, Templeton, Ward, Griffen and many more. I am sick off it. Furthermore players on contracts should not be allowed to dictate to the club.

So suck it up Josh. Think about that letter you wrote about Bevo not going. Don't be a hypocrite. I'm sure all the players and supporters will welcome you back.

jeemak
06-11-2020, 12:06 PM

Has Josh done his due diligence of Essendon? He’s either not very bright or extremely insulated in his family because nothing lines up with his apparent values and playing for Essendon. I seriously just don’t get it. I’m sure we could bridge the money gap enough to convince him to stay. Something else must be going on.

So, that web page is pretty weird. Although it may shine a light on why being the "main man" is very important to Josh himself.

Happy Days
06-11-2020, 12:10 PM
So, that web page is pretty weird. Although it may shine a light on why being the "main man" is very important to Josh himself.

Really really weird. Now that he's sacked us I look forward to bagging him about it heaps.

1eyedog
06-11-2020, 12:11 PM
Josh is an Alpha male and wants to be head honcho. We can't give him that because we have better players than Essendon. Look at it as a compliment.

jeemak
06-11-2020, 12:12 PM
Really really weird. Now that he's sacked us I look forward to bagging him about it heaps.

It's the weirdest thing I've seen on the internet for a good week, and I go internetting quite regularly.

comrade
06-11-2020, 12:12 PM

Can just imagine business meetings around the family dinner table: "look, if I go to Essendon and they let you tag along, imagine the exposure our website will get. It just makes sense!"

Axe Man
06-11-2020, 12:13 PM
Can we somehow trade him to Sydney for Papley instead? The Dunkleys would love that.

soupman
06-11-2020, 12:14 PM
This is an extension of my post earlier about who we replace Dunkley with should he leave and whether or not we can do it by trading.

We could generate some depth by grabbing players from elsewhere. I know I have lamented our attraction to players in the bargain bin but the following could all be options for not very much. Emphasis on Geelong and Collingwood who have salary cap issues and problems offering some of these guys opportunity making them easier to pry out, plus I got bored looking through clubs lists for promising fringe mids:

-Charlie Constable, big but slow inside mid at Geelong who averages 20 touches at 4 tackles in his 9 games thus far. One position guy which concerns me but could be a much better depth option than what we have.
-Quinton Narkle, more of a flanker type with some pace and guile. Hasn't really had games pumped into him by Geelong which isn't a great sign but looks to have some attributes we are lacking and I think could do a split between forward/mid better than most of our other options.
-Lachlan Fogarty, smallish but pacy i think and like Narkle could do the whole forward/mid split ok. I think we were interested in him last year.
-Sam Simpson, the best of these guys, clean and good enough to make Geelongs GF best 22. I believe is ooc and with the imminent arrival of Higgins and Smith might be persuaded that he is better equipped to get chances with us.
-Brayden Sier, I believe we were interested in him in his draft year. Big bodied but has lacked opportunity at Collingwood. One position guy though. Basically the same as Constable
-Callum Brown, undersized and more of a forward but is a natural accumulator, is zippy, and his career trajectory is going in the right direction. I always had him and Daicos in the same boat but obviously Daicos has rocketed past him. Could Brown improve if given an opportunity on the wing like Daicos has?
-Tyler Brown, better sized than his brother and younger, another natural accumulator, unsure if he is a one position guy though.
-Will Powell, Gold Coast half back who is meant to be moving into a midfield role. Has reportedly fielded interest from clubs, is a good user of the ball.

Hardly inspiring but most fit the bill of being readymade depth that has looked ok at AFL level and most if not all are in their clubs plans going forward which is a positive in that they rate them.

jeemak
06-11-2020, 12:17 PM
Can just imagine business meetings around the family dinner table: "look, if I go to Essendon and they let you tag along, imagine the exposure our website will get. It just makes sense!"

Imagine how much they'd gang up on Kyle over the lack of site traffic.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-11-2020, 12:17 PM

Yeah it’s weird alright. Creepy weird. I got brainwashed cult family vibes.

comrade
06-11-2020, 12:18 PM
Imagine how much they'd gang up on Kyle over the lack of site traffic.

"Josh can you speak to Truck and ask him to pick me in the 1s...for the traffic"

soupman
06-11-2020, 12:18 PM

The testimonials page is particularly inspiring.

Mitcha
06-11-2020, 12:20 PM
Some players sit back at the end of their careers and reflect and are proud to be known as One club players. If Dunkley goes he will have to settle with the fact that he was only a One time premiership player cos he ain't winning one with that rabble.

comrade
06-11-2020, 12:21 PM
We should all chip in and order a Q&A sesh with the alpha dog: https://www.jkl-d.com/bookings

soupman
06-11-2020, 12:21 PM
Anyone else get huge Alan Partridge vibes with the way he writes?

After our meeting it was time for some lunch, marinated chicken and salad with Mission wraps. I headed straight out into the backyard to oil the fence, as this needed a coat on it for some protection, a job that we would have liked to have completed over the last weekend. As the boys had done most of the work putting it together, I thought I would chop them out and finish it off. Little did I know that the entire fence would take me 5 hours to complete. I now have a new appreciation for painting, but I must say, the end result is instant and very satisfying. A great task for the mind, during isolation.

Bulldog4life
06-11-2020, 12:22 PM
Pickering did say this "Dunkley will be happy to stay with the Dogs if a deal can't be agreed".

comrade
06-11-2020, 12:27 PM
Pickering did say this "Dunkley will be happy to stay with the Dogs if a deal can't be agreed".

Well, what is his alternative as a contracted player? Sit out of footy for 2 years?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Why bother having contracts at all with managers actively subverting them

comrade
06-11-2020, 12:32 PM

I wish the clowns on Trade Radio had the cahones to ask Pickering why he advised his client to extend his contract by multiple years just over 12 months ago, when he was a) playing some ruck minutes & b) was still 2nd or 3rd in the midfield rotation if both these points are now apparent deal breakers.

ledge
06-11-2020, 12:36 PM

This isn’t the managers fault he is employed to look after the player and is paid to fill the player in on everything, wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t.
I think the AFL needs to put in rules around contracts that a player cannot he approached until his contract only has 3 months to run or both player and club agree to look around.
Contracts need to be tightened up.

Rocket Science
06-11-2020, 12:47 PM
I wish the clowns on Trade Radio had the cahones to ask Pickering why he advised his client to extend his contract by multiple years just over 12 months ago, when he was a) playing some ruck minutes & b) was still 2nd or 3rd in the midfield rotation if both these points are now apparent deal breakers.

That was before Essington resolved to fix their problems with a shopping spree you see.

Grantysghost
06-11-2020, 01:12 PM
We should all chip in and order a Q&A sesh with the alpha dog: https://www.jkl-d.com/bookings

That's not real surely.

Kyle's terrific story of perseverance and resilience? He's 20!

Jokes aside that gives me some insight into how they see sport as a career and take it very seriously which is nothing we didn't know I guess. Nothing wrong with that. But I can still lampoon them :cool:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-11-2020, 01:17 PM

I just read that in a Lancastrian accent and just about p1ssed myself... nice pick up soupaman.. Alpha Papa Dunkley!

Grantysghost
06-11-2020, 01:18 PM

I think it would be well worth it.

So Kyle, tell me more anecdotes portraying your perseverance and resilience please...PLEASE! Two hours is just not long enough !

Happy Days
06-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Power sounds flat as.

comrade
06-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Power sounds flat as.

I think that's just him. Pretty straight bat.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-11-2020, 01:27 PM
Power sounds flat as.

What's he said HD?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-11-2020, 01:27 PM
Power sounds flat as.

He's not the most enthusiastic speaker in the best of times

Happy Days
06-11-2020, 01:30 PM
What's he said HD?

Nothing we didn't already know. Pretty much a reiteration of the statement yesterday but he sounds pretty resigned to him going, which is ridiculous when you think about it.

He just said he wouldn't speculate about about Treloar but that he "loves the way he goes about it", which I think is saying a lot.

Confirmed the interest in Martin and Hannan. Sounds like they'll both get done.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-11-2020, 01:31 PM
Nothing we didn't already know. Pretty much a reiteration of the statement yesterday but he sounds pretty resigned to him going, which is ridiculous when you think about it.

He just said he wouldn't speculate about about Treloar but that he "loves the way he goes about it", which I think is saying a lot.

Confirmed the interest in Martin and Hannan. Sounds like they'll both get done.

Thanks HD.

Positive to hear about Treloar.

Happy Days
06-11-2020, 01:36 PM
Thanks HD.

Positive to hear about Treloar.

Should note that he was much more dismissive of Stephenson, saying nothing more than that we don't speculate about contracted players. He said the same about Treloar but made sure to note that we rate him.

Could be nothing but probably isn't, and at the very least has to be a dig at Essendon.

WBFC4FFC
06-11-2020, 01:39 PM

Never thought I'd see a legit comparison between a current day player and Alan Partridge. Great pick-up.

comrade
06-11-2020, 01:53 PM
Power was fairly non-commital about Stef Martin. Would be very if we were squeezing Essendon for Draper.

Happy Days
06-11-2020, 02:07 PM
Power was fairly non-commital about Stef Martin. Would be very if we were squeezing Essendon for Draper.

You reckon? He confirmed our interest, which is a pretty significant admission.

comrade
06-11-2020, 02:15 PM
You reckon? He confirmed our interest, which is a pretty significant admission.

He was alot more forward on Hannan in comparison, but given Hannan has nominated us that might be expected. Power has a rock solid forward defence, that's for sure.

Bulldog4life
06-11-2020, 02:23 PM
He was alot more forward on Hannan in comparison, but given Hannan has nominated us that might be expected. Power has a rock solid forward defence, that's for sure.

He's our Bill Lawry.

comrade
06-11-2020, 02:30 PM
He's our Bill Lawry.

Corpse with pads on.

bornadog
06-11-2020, 02:37 PM
Who would do this deal:

*Wb pick 14 + Dunkley for Ess pick 7 + Future 1st

*WB give pick 7 to Geelong for 13 + 15

* Geelong give pick 7 + Future 1st to GWS for Cameron

* WB send pick 13 for Treloar

leaving:

Ess: Dunkley + 14

WB: Treloar + 15 + Ess Future 1st

Geelong: Cameron

Put up by guy who runs Breaking Lines website

bulldogsthru&thru
06-11-2020, 02:42 PM
Who would do this deal:

*WB give pick 7 to Geelong for 13 + 15

* Geelong give pick 7 + Future 1st to GWS for Cameron

* WB send pick 13 for Treloar

leaving:

Ess: Dunkley + 14

WB: Treloar + 15 + Ess Future 1st

Geelong: Cameron

Put up by guy who runs Breaking Lines website

It's not bad. But I'm more concerned with Treloar's contract. I'm also with soupaman with not really wanting Treloar. We have much more pressing needs that I'd prefer we use this situation to address.

bornadog
06-11-2020, 02:43 PM
It's not bad. But I'm more concerned with Treloar's contract. I'm also with soupaman with not really wanting Treloar. We have much more pressing needs that I'd prefer we use this situation to address.

Treloar is an a grade player, and we don't have many outside mids.

ledge
06-11-2020, 02:50 PM
I just read he said that essendon haven’t made a formal offer for Dunkley and we are keeping him.
Is that true ?

GVGjr
06-11-2020, 02:53 PM
So the one I really struggle with is Geelong give up picks 13 and 15 for pick 7 and then give GWS a future 1st round for Cameron on top of that. Effectively they are handing away 3 first round picks for Cameron. Seems to be overs to me

Mofra
06-11-2020, 03:07 PM
Who would do this deal:

Take out pick 14 or have Essendon give us back multiple late picks for points. Dunkley is worth more than a 7 pick downgrade plus one first rounder.

I'm not willing to trade a first rounder for Treloar if we're going to be lumped with paying $900k in his fifth year when he's 32. I'd much rather us look at other parts of the ground with a first round pick - classy forward or KPD.

bornadog
06-11-2020, 03:08 PM
I just read he said that essendon haven’t made a formal offer for Dunkley and we are keeping him.
Is that true ?

Who? Power?

Rocket Science
06-11-2020, 03:12 PM
Good news everyone. The Bombres have Tom Browne's blessing.

https://i.ibb.co/3CRbh5M/Screen-Shot-2020-11-06-at-3-09-22-pm.png (https://ibb.co/QKDVm7C)

comrade
06-11-2020, 03:15 PM

https://i.ibb.co/3CRbh5M/Screen-Shot-2020-11-06-at-3-09-22-pm.png (https://ibb.co/QKDVm7C)

A great job at what?

bornadog
06-11-2020, 03:18 PM

Great Job when players like Daniher, Saad, Fantasia don't want to be there, and they need to throw big dollars at a 23 year old to entice them.

soupman
06-11-2020, 03:19 PM
Who would do this deal:

An out of contract, older than Dunkley, shitter than Dunkley, Dylan Shiel was traded with pick 42 for picks 9 and 14. On draft points that values him as pick 3 (2235 points).

This proposed trade values Dunkley at pick 3 also (2321 points) assuming Essendons future pick is pick 5.

I do think the prospect of Essendon being woeful next year gives it more upside, so I think this is the minimum deal I'd be happy with. Pick 7 could then be split for more points (or points plus a player) which would help.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-11-2020, 03:20 PM

Ok let's stop bagging Essendon and start bagging Tom.

soupman
06-11-2020, 03:23 PM
Ok let's stop bagging Essendon and start bagging Tom.

If you saw his tweets about the US election you'd know just how easy a target he is.

bornadog
06-11-2020, 03:27 PM
If you saw his tweets about the US election you'd know just how easy a target he is.

He is so Dumb

jeemak
06-11-2020, 03:33 PM

You can't make this shit up.

Not that he pretended to be unbiased as a journalist, though he's actually confirmed it.

Grantysghost
06-11-2020, 03:45 PM

Not that he pretended to be unbiased as a journalist, though he's actually confirmed it.

Actually I'm with Tom on this. We probably shouldn't even bother with a trade, just hand him over, gift wrapped and what the hell we can pay half of his salary too! I'd even consider getting Bevo to give him a lift across to Tullamarine to seal the deal? Bombers deserve that at least, they've done a fantastic job. #bemorebomber

BornInDroopSt'54
06-11-2020, 03:47 PM
Power sounds flat as.

Like he played. Much better recruiter than player.

Doc26
06-11-2020, 03:47 PM

"I hope it happens".

This is so unprofessional coming from an accredited AFL media reporter.

So Browne is barracking for an outcome that sees another Club / Player Manager break what has been a significant investment by our Club into a player that is held in the highest regard having been promoted to the leadership group at such a young age, and only signed a 3 year contract with us last year, and by all accounts from Josh's own words on his Instapage how much he loves our Club.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-11-2020, 03:49 PM
I wish we'd call out Tom Browne and some of his stupid, false reporting about our football club. I can't stand looking at him every time he destroys my TV with his presence.

EasternWest
06-11-2020, 03:50 PM
Who gives a crap if a journo has a preference for a team?

Mark Stevens is practically head of the Bulldogs cheer squad and nobody cares about that.

Let's focus on the fact that Tom Browne is just a crap journo regardless of his bias.

jeemak
06-11-2020, 03:50 PM
"I hope it happens".

So he's hoping for an outcome that sees another Club / Player Manager break what has been a significant investment by our Club into a player that is held in the highest regard having been promoted to the leadership group at such a young age, and only signed a 3 year contract with us last year, and by all accounts from Josh's own words on his Instapage how much he loves our Club.

It's something that should have the Bulldogs handle tagged into it and say arseholes like this are the reason it should NOT happen under any circumstance!

Happy Days
06-11-2020, 03:55 PM
Who gives a crap if a journo has a preference for a team?

Mark Stevens is practically head of the Bulldogs cheer squad and nobody cares about that.

Let's focus on the fact that Tom Browne is just a crap journo regardless of his bias.

I thought you understood that football is not objective.

EasternWest
06-11-2020, 03:56 PM
I thought you understood that football is not objective.

I was about to edit my comment to reflect the "Happy Days objectivity rule" but you've beaten me to the punch.

comrade
06-11-2020, 03:57 PM
I'd be keen to see how Stevo handled the Tom Boyd trade all those years ago. I might be wrong, but I can't imagine him explicitly saying 'great job, hope it happens'.

EasternWest
06-11-2020, 04:03 PM
I'd be keen to see how Stevo handled the Tom Boyd trade all those years ago. I might be wrong, but I can't imagine him explicitly saying 'great job, hope it happens'.

Deleted

Bulldog4life
06-11-2020, 04:09 PM
So the one I really struggle with is Geelong give up picks 13 and 15 for pick 7 and then give GWS a future 1st round for Cameron on top of that. Effectively they are handing away 3 first round picks for Cameron. Seems to be overs to me

Geelong's trade with West Coast for Kelly Geelong received selections 14, 24 and 37 in the 2019 AFL national draft and the Eagles first selection in the 2020 AFL national draft in return for Kelly, Geelong’s pick 57 in the 2019 AFL national draft and a third-round selection in 2020. Is Dunkley with 2 years on his contract worth similar?

Bulldog4life
06-11-2020, 04:12 PM
"I hope it happens".

So Browne is barracking for an outcome that sees another Club / Player Manager break what has been a significant investment by our Club into a player that is held in the highest regard having been promoted to the leadership group at such a young age, and only signed a 3 year contract with us last year, and by all accounts from Josh's own words on his Instapage how much he loves our Club.

I tweeted to him why does he hope it happens. No reply.

josie
06-11-2020, 04:19 PM
Never thought I'd see a legit comparison between a current day player and Alan Partridge. Great pick-up.

Ah Ha!! Rolling the ball....Rolling the ball.

josie
06-11-2020, 04:26 PM

Hi Soupaman-Who is this you are quoting? Power?

How spot on. Thank you for the post - made my day.

Rocket Science
06-11-2020, 04:30 PM
A great job at what?

A great job at drip feeding this strange, sad unit with intel.

Mofra
06-11-2020, 04:40 PM
I'd be more comfortable with Dunkley leaving if McLean was available next year.

hujsh
06-11-2020, 04:45 PM
I'd be more comfortable with Dunkley leaving if McLean was available next year.

True he was the other one missing midfield minutes I couldn't think of. Our depth would feel much better with him in the wings

DOG GOD
06-11-2020, 04:48 PM
Play our cards right and we could fill the gaps.
But fill the gaps with who? Guys being pushed from other clubs or Avge players in general like Hannan and Lonie ?

azabob
06-11-2020, 05:26 PM

Probably coupled with HUB Life where he would get to see teammates warts and all.

Funnily enough Essendon shared the hub with the Dogs for a period also.

I asked the question of this very thread a few weeks back wonder what happened in the hub to start this.

azabob
06-11-2020, 05:33 PM
He is so Dumb

Isn't he a lawyer by trade?

bulldogtragic
06-11-2020, 05:42 PM
Maybe 5,907 days since winning a final makes Dunkley think it is over due to break? Maybe he’s to used to playing finals, and winning finals. He was 7 years old when they last won a final. Surely it’s a money thing.

Twodogs
06-11-2020, 05:44 PM

https://youtu.be/zQ8cVD44Zyc

Twodogs
06-11-2020, 05:48 PM

Having spent a lifetime in ALP politics I've met plenty of dumb lawyers.

People with Law degrees anyway.

Twodogs
06-11-2020, 05:51 PM

Serious question, is trade radio run by Craig Hutchinson who just happens to be great mates with Liam Pickering?

comrade
06-11-2020, 05:52 PM
Serious question, is trade radio run by Craig Hutchinson who just happens to be great mates with Liam Pickering?

I believe it is a Crocmedia production, which is Hutchy's company.

Rocket Science
06-11-2020, 05:53 PM

Strong Lionel Hutz energy if true.

https://i.ibb.co/RzzTqjT/Screen-Shot-2020-11-06-at-5-47-49-pm.png (https://ibb.co/V22YswY)

Twodogs
06-11-2020, 05:58 PM
I believe it is a Crocmedia production, which is Hutchy's company.

There is the answer to the question then. I knew there was a reason I didn't bother listening.

comrade
06-11-2020, 06:05 PM
I've heard a whisper that in addition to his huge salary, Essendon have also promised Dunkley every September off.

Pretty appealing.

The Pie Man
06-11-2020, 06:33 PM
I've heard a whisper that in addition to his huge salary, Essendon have also promised Dunkley every September off.

Pretty appealing.

Copy, paste, SMS to Essendon best mate

EDIT - his reply ‘ If he’s chasing 🏆‘s in his 20’s he may want to consider another employer.’

WBFC4FFC
06-11-2020, 06:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eypZnajNdmQ

Specifically, it reminded me of Alan's critique of Sonja's Full English Breakfast.

As for Dunk's, why would we grab Treloar for $900k a year? Are the Pies offering to pay $200k a year, or just for the first year? Would have to be $300k a year to have my interest but is still does not satisfy the need we have (unless we get a KPD as well, given it appears Martin will be at the Dogs).

Barring all of this. Keep Dunks.

Vred
06-11-2020, 06:56 PM
Have it on good authority that we're deep in talks with Collingwood for a swap of Treloar / Stephenson (and possibly) Cox, for picks / salary + either Ed Richards, Josh Schache and Bailey Dale.

Treloars management keen to get him to the Dogs this trade period.

All three Collingwood players also toured the Kennel yesterday.

GVGjr
06-11-2020, 06:59 PM
Maybe 5,907 days since winning a final makes Dunkley think it is over due to break? Maybe he’s to used to playing finals, and winning finals. He was 7 years old when they last won a final. Surely it’s a money thing.

How long is our streak now for not winning a finals?

bulldogsthru&thru
06-11-2020, 07:08 PM
How long is our streak now for not winning a finals?

1497 days since October 1 2016.

If we don’t win a final next year it’ll be a longer gap than the lean years of 2011-2015.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-11-2020, 07:10 PM
Have it on good authority that we're deep in talks with Collingwood for a swap of Treloar / Stephenson (and possibly) Cox, for picks / salary + either Ed Richards, Josh Schache and Bailey Dale.

Wait we’re giving them salary for Treloar??

Vred
06-11-2020, 07:39 PM
Wait we’re giving them salary for Treloar??

Other way around, they pay good % of Salary for atleast the next two years.

josie
06-11-2020, 07:52 PM
Thanks BT&T. If it is so and comes off no-one can accuse us of sitting on our bums and being too conservative.

Doc26
06-11-2020, 07:59 PM

That is some 2 way super trade.
Has anything like this ever played out i.e an exchange of 3 x 2 dispensable players ?

1eyedog
06-11-2020, 08:03 PM
True he was the other one missing midfield minutes I couldn't think of. Our depth would feel much better with him in the wings

Have not heard about JS or Cox but have heard the same re. Treloar.

jeemak
06-11-2020, 08:14 PM

Thank you for the information.

All of the three players of ours mentioned likely to go according to the mail or just one or two?

Vred
06-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Thank you for the information.

All of the three players of ours mentioned likely to go according to the mail or just one or two?

Unsure as of yet.

I'd be surprised if Schache's management HAVEN'T been shopping him around. Pretty much everybody at the club in the playing group has been told to 'wait and see on list sizes next year' - It's REALLY holding up us making proper changes.

divvydan
06-11-2020, 09:11 PM
Given Collingwood's salary cap position, it's hard to see them being interesting in 3 more players that will all need to be paid.

bornadog
06-11-2020, 09:27 PM

Is This the same person that said we were negotiating an extended contract for Dunkley?