PDA

View Full Version : Trade Dunkley

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Vred
06-11-2020, 11:13 PM
Is This the same person that said we were negotiating an extended contract for Dunkley?

Yeah, has mentioned it, but this has also been mentioned by a few afl journalists as well.

The Dunkley situation has been evolving minute by minute, the person I speak to at the Dogs is apart of the social media team, I trust what they say but clearly even his gotten it wrong, I just report back here if I think the information is worth mentioning.

The Collingwood due/trio has been mentioned by several other media personalities and AFL journalists, like everything this time of year, take it with a grain of salt, even people deep within the Dogs thought the Dunkley-Essendon stuff was all a media beat-up right up until this week.

kruder
06-11-2020, 11:19 PM
I'm not keen on loosing Ed yet, would love to see him on a HBF for a full season and see what he can do.

JS while he has attributes we are after in the forward half just doesn't seem the type that we would bring in after recent history. I will be pleasantly surprised if he comes across but Treloar makes sense for sure.

I wonder if we could turn Dunkley into Treloar and Tippa(Goddard confirmed that he had a serious look at our offer last year)?

soupman
07-11-2020, 01:04 AM
Hi Soupaman-Who is this you are quoting? Power?

How spot on. Thank you for the post - made my day.

It's from Dunkleys blog on his bizarre family business page, link here (https://www.jkl-d.com/blog/the-dunkley-diaries-painting-the-fence-peanut-butter-cups-playstation-amp-mothers-day)

The entire blog is a treasure trove of stuff that is destined to be printed out and stuck all over the club rooms and ridiculed. He could not make himself sound less cool if he tried.

I honestly think this paragraph is the most mundane thing ever put to text:

Back to my Bega Peanut Butter Cups, sure enough I thought I had the right photo to post, excited at how great they looked, I handed them all out back to the boys as a treat to eat. Then moments later a message popped through and I found out the photo wasn’t right! A quick check in the pantry to reveal I didn’t have enough ingredients to make another batch. So off to the shops I quickly went to buy more ingredients to complete the whole task again. Fortunately it wasn’t a very long recipe and is really quite quick to make once you have everything. Whilst out shopping I might add, I decided to grab everyone a coffee before returning home. I whipped up my Bega Peanut Butter recipe and made sure I got the right photo this time, before I allowed anyone to touch them. Pretty much guarding them like a guard dog, as Kyle and Lara walked past. The boys were done for the day out the back, so another treat was passed out for their car trip home. Believe it or not Lara wanted to cook dinner again! Maybe, it was because she had seen I was pretty much in the kitchen all day making Peanut Butter Cups!

I am convinced that Dunkley has made a terrible decision to go to Essendon. Any respect he commands will be completely undermined by having Kyle by his side on a make a wish contract and Josh being the kind of guy that thinks telling people everything he does with absolutely zero personality in extended blog form adds value. I'm sure he is nice enough but if he isn't being laughed about behind his back (possibly by someone like Hunter who he is rumoured to not particularly like) about being such a sponsors pet that he shamelessly writes paragraphs like the following I'll be amazed.

The Director of ‘Harvey Landscapes & Design’ gifted us a hoodie each. We were stoked and very thankful for this kind gesture, we whacked them straight on and continued cleaning up finishing off the final job at hand. Once popping on the hoodie, we kind of felt like part of a team again, amazing what a small gift can do. We will wear these proudly, as I must say what Harvey Landscapes have achieved in our backyard, is certainly special and we are proud to be a part of it.

soupman
07-11-2020, 01:05 AM
If we get all of Treloar, Stephenson and Cox I think I might cry.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-11-2020, 01:41 AM

Tears of joy, right? ;)

Vred
07-11-2020, 01:47 AM

I don't want Cox anywhere near our club, but Stephenson and Treloar would be a net improvement.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-11-2020, 01:55 AM

If we were to net these guys without losing Dunkley then I'm very happy.That's a talent injection to improve on what we've got.

If securing them involves blinking, and moving on Dunkley, I'm not sure this improves our club.

josie
07-11-2020, 02:12 AM
It's from Dunkleys blog on his bizarre family business page, link here (https://www.jkl-d.com/blog/the-dunkley-diaries-painting-the-fence-peanut-butter-cups-playstation-amp-mothers-day)

The entire blog is a treasure trove of stuff that is destined to be printed out and stuck all over the club rooms and ridiculed. He could not make himself sound less cool if he tried.

I am convinced that Dunkley has made a terrible decision to go to Essendon. Any respect he commands will be completely undermined by having Kyle by his side on a make a wish contract and Josh being the kind of guy that thinks telling people everything he does with absolutely zero personality in extended blog form adds value. I'm sure he is nice enough but if he isn't being laughed about behind his back (possibly by someone like Hunter who he is rumoured to not particularly like) about being such a sponsors pet that he shamelessly writes paragraphs like the following I'll be amazed.

Thanks Soupaman. Agree-I think he will regret it too however he can try and soothe himself with the extra moula and some peanut butter cups. Can absolutely picture what your saying.

To parody Tom Jones “It’s most unusual” or, if I was to be downright rude, it’s kinda anally retentive.

josie
07-11-2020, 02:18 AM
I don't want Cox anywhere near our club, but Stephenson and Treloar would be a net improvement.

Hi Vred, curious to know your reasons for not wanting Cox?

I think I read somewhere Stephenson my have a lowish tank/vo2 which may explain why he fades during games. If that’s true (might be nonsense) do you know if that can be improved? He is exciting when on song from little I have seen of him and love his goal sense.

jeemak
07-11-2020, 02:58 AM
Dunkley Brothers lockdown......mystery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcHy8xEt2QI

Vred
07-11-2020, 03:29 AM

I think I read somewhere Stephenson my have a lowish tank/vo2 which may explain why he fades during games. If that’s true (might be nonsense) do you know if that can be improved? He is exciting when on song from little I have seen of him and love his goal sense.

Cox has bursts of play where his AFL level, and then for the rest of the match his nowhere to be seen, maybe that's because of Collingwoods midfield issues but I don't think Cox brings anything to us.

Stephenson has had his off field troubles but by all accounts is very much loved by the Collingwood playing group, and Treloar is highly rated by alot of people, both players are straight up walk in 22's for us, and bring some things we lack (pace, aggression and some mungral), IF Dunkley happens, and we land them, I'd look at it as a win.

jeemak
07-11-2020, 03:35 AM

Dunkley's psychobabble is pretty much what I've heard every weekend for twenty odd years.......

Complete BS.

jazzadogs
07-11-2020, 08:35 AM

He has a genetic heart condition requiring multiple daily medications to manage arrythmia. How much impact this has on his endurance, I don't know.

I would want Dunkley, Treloar, Cox, Stephenson in that order.

EasternWest
07-11-2020, 08:37 AM
Soup, make a wish contract had me rolling on the floor.

1eyedog
07-11-2020, 09:35 AM
Thanks Soupaman. Agree-I think he will regret it too however he can try and soothe himself with the extra moula and some peanut butter cups. Can absolutely picture what your saying.

To parody Tom Jones “It’s most unusual” or, if I was to be downright rude, it’s kinda anally retentive.

Not only regret it I'd question whether he can even recapture that end of 19 form without being surrounded by really strong leaders and blue chip mids.

westbulldog
07-11-2020, 09:54 AM
Cox is like Neon Leon, plays one good game a season and the rest of the time is a non-event, thanks but no thanks! I don't think Stephenson would be of useful to us, Treloar maybe depending on how much he costs. Stef Martin however would be valuable imo.

SquirrelGrip
07-11-2020, 10:12 AM
And there’s the added irony that Treloar’s wife and Dunkley’s sister both play for the Firebirds.

bulldogtragic
07-11-2020, 10:12 AM
On Stephenson, as some will remember doctors found that he had a heart condition before his draft and word was he could slip into the 20's from a top 10 pick. A completely reliable source told me that we were one of the clubs that did the medical due diligence and would not have drafted him under any circumstances. Obviously JS is managing the condition without apparent issue. I assume our medical team would need to change their minds about his condition from his draft year to now to make a trade offer.

Sedat
07-11-2020, 10:57 AM
On Stephenson, as some will remember doctors found that he had a heart condition before his draft and word was he could slip into the 20's from a top 10 pick. A completely reliable source told me that we were one of the clubs that did the medical due diligence and would not have drafted him under any circumstances. Obviously JS is managing the condition without apparent issue. I assume our medical team would need to change their minds about his condition from his draft year to now to make a trade offer.
He must have ticked all the boxes

bornadog
07-11-2020, 10:59 AM

I read somewhere that he had glandular fever recently and that effected his 2020 season?

The Bulldogs Bite
07-11-2020, 11:02 AM
I read somewhere that he had glandular fever recently and that effected his 2020 season?

Yep - believe he lost 10kgs because of it.

JS body language late in the season was alarming and interesting. Sounds like there's more to it. On ability, he's one to consider but I do have some concerns that he's very similar to Dale with more polish.

josie
07-11-2020, 11:02 AM
He has a genetic heart condition requiring multiple daily medications to manage arrythmia. How much impact this has on his endurance, I don't know.

I would want Dunkley, Treloar, Cox, Stephenson in that order.

Thanks for clarifying

azabob
07-11-2020, 11:48 AM
On the flip side are Power and Co thinking this is the perfect storm to improve our list.

In Sam Powers interview yesterday he advised we haven't offered him a revised contract. I would've thought this would've been one of the first things we would've done?

If Dunkley true reason for leaving is to be an inside midfielder (rather than a Tom Boyd sized deal) why isn't he backing himself in to have a huge pre-season and take Liberatores spot or take Bailey Smiths spot? Dunkely's 2019 form late was as good as if not better than Liberatore and Smith in 2020. Perhaps the scuttlebutt of Hunter also being trialed as an inside mid for 2021 may also be leading to further frustrations.

If he isn't happy with a few blokes off field behaviour I think he is extremely naive to think every club doesn't have a few players who do things differently to him.

If we do trade him, I hope we don't stuff up and blink like we did when we traded Brian Lake.

DOG GOD
07-11-2020, 03:40 PM
If we do trade him, I hope we don't stuff up and blink like we did when we traded Brian Lake.

Tbh, the closer it gets to the trade deadline, and a deal hasn’t been made, the more likelihood this WILL happen.

Jeanette54
07-11-2020, 03:45 PM

And Stringer.

bornadog
07-11-2020, 03:47 PM
And Stringer.

With Stringer, we got what we wanted, picks for Schache and Ed.

With Lake, we did the deal in the first hour of trade week.

Happy Days
07-11-2020, 04:53 PM
I’ve got more faith in our team at the trade table after last year’s efforts.

EasternWest
07-11-2020, 05:32 PM
I’ve got more faith in our team at the trade table after last year’s efforts.

Reality is we can, and should, just say no until they offer something sexy.

Hotdog60
07-11-2020, 06:08 PM
McKenna floats possible AFL return in future, as Dons deal for Dunkley

Former Essendon speedster Conor McKenna has told reporters in Ireland he has not ruled out resuming his AFL career via a mid-season draft, as the Bombers attempt to convince the Bulldogs to trade midfielder Josh Dunkley despite him having two years left on his contract.

McKenna has floated the prospect of resuming the AFL career he left behind at the end of the year, when he returned to Ireland to play Gaelic football, and playing in the back-end of a season if the rules allowed it.

"I don't think [my AFL career is] totally done. There's a thing in the AFL where you can get a mid-season draft so you can actually get drafted in June and go out from June until September. It's only really a two or three-month thing," McKenna said.

"I do think the possibility may be there in three or four years with Gaelic, the way they're talking about a split season, if Tyrone was out and the club was out of the championship and there was a possibility of going over for two or three months, it's not something I'd close the door on."

The Bulldogs held a list management meeting on Friday and their staunch opposition to trading the 23-year-old appears to have softened but only if Essendon come up with a deal that is too attractive for them to decline.

Dunkley's manager Liam Pickering told SEN on Saturday that the Bombers were putting together a proposal for the midfielder and said the trade was possible before Thursday's deadline.

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.248%2C$multiply_1.0582%2C$ratio_1.5%2C$width_756%2C$ x_0%2C$y_0/t_crop_custom/q_86%2Cf_auto/e16644df1e938fa4ff4e7d6dd111c4aaf8d46c69

"There will be a deal for everybody if they want to do it. That is really up to the Dogs now," Pickering said.

The Bulldogs admitted they were monitoring the situation with Collingwood's Adam Treloar, who the Magpies are hoping to trade, however, they remained uncertain about whether they would make a play for the 27-year-old, who is reportedly resigned to departing Collingwood despite having a contract that runs until 2025.

The Bulldogs delisted three players on Friday but announced on Saturday they had re-signed unlucky midfielder Lin Jong, who is a tough in and under midfielder who could step into Dunkley's shoes if required. Jong, who resisted the opportunity to join the Gold Coast several years ago, signed a one-year deal.

They will acquire Melbourne's Mitch Hannan and, if he passes a fitness test, Lions ruckman Stefan Martin, but they have no intention of securing St Kilda's small forward Jack Lonie. They had an interest in Essendon's Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti last year and could consider enquiring about his availability if they agree to trade Dunkley.

LINK (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mckenna-keeps-dreaming-as-dons-deal-for-dunkley-20201107-p56ce6.html)

chef
07-11-2020, 06:20 PM
Yay to the no to Lonie.

Danjul
07-11-2020, 06:33 PM
McKenna floats possible AFL return in future, as Dons deal for Dunkley

Former Essendon speedster Conor McKenna has told reporters in Ireland he has not ruled out resuming his AFL career via a mid-season draft, as the Bombers attempt to convince the Bulldogs to trade midfielder Josh Dunkley despite him having two years left on his contract.

McKenna has floated the prospect of resuming the AFL career he left behind at the end of the year, when he returned to Ireland to play Gaelic football, and playing in the back-end of a season if the rules allowed it.

"I don't think [my AFL career is] totally done. There's a thing in the AFL where you can get a mid-season draft so you can actually get drafted in June and go out from June until September. It's only really a two or three-month thing," McKenna said.

"I do think the possibility may be there in three or four years with Gaelic, the way they're talking about a split season, if Tyrone was out and the club was out of the championship and there was a possibility of going over for two or three months, it's not something I'd close the door on."

The Bulldogs held a list management meeting on Friday and their staunch opposition to trading the 23-year-old appears to have softened but only if Essendon come up with a deal that is too attractive for them to decline.

Dunkley's manager Liam Pickering told SEN on Saturday that the Bombers were putting together a proposal for the midfielder and said the trade was possible before Thursday's deadline.

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.248%2C$multiply_1.0582%2C$ratio_1.5%2C$width_756%2C$ x_0%2C$y_0/t_crop_custom/q_86%2Cf_auto/e16644df1e938fa4ff4e7d6dd111c4aaf8d46c69

Interesting ruck contest . Dunkley is giving away 8 cm and 15 kg. What a joke. Couldn’t someone else have been nominated so Dunkley does what he does best?

1eyedog
07-11-2020, 07:25 PM
Reality is we can, and should, just say no until they offer something sexy.

Dunkley and Sexy Suckers for Treloar and MTW?

Sold.

1eyedog
07-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Interesting ruck contest . Dunkley is giving away 8 cm and 15 kg. What a joke. Couldn’t someone else have been nominated so Dunkley does what he does best?

Do what you're told I say.

Anyway...MTW would be sexy I reckon he'd come over and I reckon Essington supporters would burn down the Hangar. It's a win/win.

EasternWest
07-11-2020, 08:39 PM
Dunkley and Sexy Suckers for Treloar and MTW?

Sold.

Even without the rest they can have sexy Suckers.

Bulldog4life
07-11-2020, 09:06 PM
With Stringer, we got what we wanted, picks for Schache and Ed.

With Lake, we did the deal in the first hour of trade week.

And there was a 10 years age difference between Lake and Dunkley too when Lake wanted to leave.

1eyedog
07-11-2020, 09:16 PM
Even without the rest they can have sexy Suckers.

Double sold. Hopefully the avatar lives on (I love Suckers).

ledge
07-11-2020, 09:20 PM
A lot of respect for Billy Gowers after this.. seems his thoughts on the club are the opposite to what has been reported by some. 988

EasternWest
07-11-2020, 09:22 PM
A lot of respect for Billy Gowers after this.. seems his thoughts on the club are the opposite to what has been reported by some. 988

Not surprised - by all reports Billy is a good bloke.

1eyedog
07-11-2020, 09:23 PM
Not surprised - by all reports Billy is a good bloke.

Yeah solid.

Dry Rot
07-11-2020, 09:44 PM

I have read elsewhere that a lot of all this is due to Dunkley senior.

And that is a shit blog.

Hotdog60
07-11-2020, 09:59 PM

Billy had all the attributes and only a bit of the application. You can't knock his endeavor just sometimes too much or just lacking in execution.
All the best in the future and thank you for that first season.

Happy Days
08-11-2020, 01:59 PM
I’ve revised my position. Draper and whatever compensation is required for Treloar.

Losing Dunks hurts but Dunkley out, Draper and Treloar in? That is cooking with gas my guys.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Is Draper even any good? I don’t get the hype.

azabob
08-11-2020, 02:09 PM
I’ve revised my position. Draper and whatever compensation is required for Treloar.

Losing Dunks hurts but Dunkley out, Draper and Treloar in? That is cooking with gas my guys.

Draper would be on a lot of cash.
Saints in 2019 offered him $1.7M over four years. He chose to re-sign with Essendon for four years.

Happy Days
08-11-2020, 02:42 PM
Draper would be on a lot of cash.
Saints in 2019 offered him $1.7M over four years. He chose to re-sign with Essendon for four years.

They called us.

Doc26
08-11-2020, 02:45 PM

The irony. We have English, Draper and Martin as our ruck stocks with Dunkley Essendon’s only ruck option for 2021.
Love it.

Ghost Dog
08-11-2020, 02:56 PM
Copy, paste, SMS to Essendon best mate

EDIT - his reply ‘ If he’s chasing 🏆‘s in his 20’s he may want to consider another employer.’

A majority of Essendon supporters are quite realistic....

Ghost Dog
08-11-2020, 02:57 PM
Can someone give me a quick summary? What are we likely to get for Dunkley?

Bulldog4life
08-11-2020, 03:03 PM
I have read elsewhere that a lot of all this is due to Dunkley senior.

And that is a shit blog.

Andrew Dunkley thought he got shafted by Sydney when he retired. Reckons he should have received some sort of coaching job with them. Hasn't been back to the club. Could imagine him saying to his son just go for the cash Josh doesn't matter which club.

azabob
08-11-2020, 03:39 PM
They called us.

Draper didn’t. Is Draper worth $500-$600?

Doc26
08-11-2020, 03:58 PM

Admins, GD's account has been hacked.

Scraggers
08-11-2020, 04:33 PM

Admins, GD's account has been hacked.

It's alright Doc, I got this ... Who are you? And what have you done with the real Ghost Dog ??

azabob
08-11-2020, 04:46 PM
It's alright Doc, I got this ... Who are you? And what have you done with the real Ghost Dog ??

Go lightly Scraggers, GD is still in China...

The bulldog tragician
08-11-2020, 05:47 PM

Sorry GD but they're simply not. They are the nastiest of supporters and also well-known for their viciousness towards their own players, including Bronx cheers and booing during a match. It is not an accident that the 'whatever it takes' mantra took hold in their club, nor that many of them still fanatically supported the coach who'd led their club into disgrace and endangered their players.

ledge
08-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Go lightly Scraggers, GD is still in China...

Checking out our lobsters and looking to buy land in QLD.

G-Mo77
08-11-2020, 05:48 PM
Can someone give me a quick summary? What are we likely to get for Dunkley?

Leverde or Francis. ;)

I hope Treloar somehow. I'm content on getting rid of Dunkley.

Ghost Dog
08-11-2020, 06:08 PM
Checking out our lobsters and looking to buy land in QLD.

Mate, I can get you a few crates worth of lobster that fell of the back of a plane in Pudong.
But they might be a bit wiffy by now.

Mr Morrison has told us all to get out. Flights, up around 11-12K now, one way plus the 5K for two weeks quarrantine.
Ouch. Trying to figure out what to do.

My Dad is a bombers supporter. Back in the day Essendon had zoning in our patch I think.
But he hardly follows them anymore because of what they are now.
and I am not sure if this is really what most other supporters want, do they?

I'm going to be asking a lot of dumb questions guys I missed the whole season.
Hopefully MJP doesn't flame me too much....:D

Dad's taken to wearing my bulldogs scarf on skype, but he's rusted on in such things.
That generation never change teams.

To a quiet working class man it is a burden!

Ghost Dog
08-11-2020, 06:13 PM
Leverde or Francis. ;)

I hope Treloar somehow. I'm content on getting rid of Dunkley.

Ok I will google these guys. Treloar I take it most here do not want.

Jeanette54
08-11-2020, 06:31 PM

You are right there GD, keeping Dunks is what I want (well his manager said he would be happy to play here if he didn't get to Essendon). If we are to swap midfielder for midfielder then Josh is by far our best option.

Its not only about keeping Dunks, its also about sticking it up those entitled Essendon lowlife, who still think "whatever it takes", and a large cheque book is the way to a premiership. And it would be nice to see the club stand up for itself, and not let it be cowered into submission by these bigger clubs.

Show some guts guys, be more Bulldog.

mjp
08-11-2020, 06:41 PM
I'm going to be asking a lot of dumb questions guys I missed the whole season.
Hopefully MJP doesn't flame me too much....:D

Stuff next season - I'm going to start now!

G-Mo77
08-11-2020, 08:31 PM

I was joking mate. I do want Treloar though.

jazzadogs
08-11-2020, 09:28 PM
One thing that is very important to me is that Essendon have to pay big for Dunkley. I don't want them to get away with giving us a couple of picks in 20s because we can use them for points. I want us to wring them dry - if they are going to take a chase a valuable asset, they need to pay for him.

soupman
08-11-2020, 09:42 PM
One thing that is very important to me is that Essendon have to pay big for Dunkley. I don't want them to get away with giving us a couple of picks in 20s because we can use them for points. I want us to wring them dry - if they are going to take a chase a valuable asset, they need to pay for him.

Absolutely. It concerns me that journos (a term used very loosely on Browne) are happy to wrap him up as an easy deal for pick 8 or Treloar. I know we don't listen to journos but the narrative should be around whether or not we have to give back a third rounder when they give us two first rounders.

I mean the most comparable trades involving a young, ball winning midfielder with considerable senior experience but mostly as the 2nd-4th string mid are:
-Dylan Shiel + Future 2nd (#42) for 9 and future 1st (#14)
-Lachie Neale + 30 for 6, 19 and 44.

jeemak
08-11-2020, 11:45 PM
It's the sycophantism within the narrative that irks me. I have absolutely no doubt that HQ would have been suggesting at all costs for all media partners to ensure EFC gets positive coverage since the suspensions of the playing group, and because during the season they turn out to be average it's amplified in the post/ trading season.

FWIW I think Dunkley is worth a pick between six and ten, and an established player due to the conditions in which he is being sought out from our list. What we choose to do with the draft pick is up to us, of course, but that's where it is for mine.

Given clubs only have until Thursday to get things done I expect something substantial either tomorrow or Tuesday. Though realistically, I think this is going to be a situation where EFC let a player they are chasing down and scramble to ensure everyone within the media puts shit on the club that owns the contracted player instead of EFC (remember Scott West?).

Ghost Dog
09-11-2020, 12:38 AM
Stuff next season - I'm going to start now!

Save your energy. I mean you no harm sir:)

Well, Daniher was a bad precedent to set at the start. Bombers won that one. Hope they don't think it will be that easy with Bevo and co.

Mofra
09-11-2020, 08:18 AM
It looks like Essendon run out of time. They can't even get the Fantasia deal done and Saad has hit a snag.
Dunkley is probably a bulldog next year. That makes the Treloar situation fascinating as well.

comrade
09-11-2020, 08:22 AM
It looks like Essendon run out of time. They can't even get the Fantasia deal done and Saad has hit a snag.
Dunkley is probably a bulldog next year. That makes the Treloar situation fascinating as well.

They also need to find a decent pick for Caldwell. Fantasia has bitten off more than he can chew it seems, and will only get the Dunkley deal done if we cave and take less than overs.

1eyedog
09-11-2020, 08:24 AM
Things can snowball very quickly.

Mofra
09-11-2020, 08:39 AM
They also need to find a decent pick for Caldwell. Fantasia has bitten off more than he can chew it seems, and will only get the Dunkley deal done if we cave and take less than overs.
I doubt we cave. The preference would be to keep him, especially if Libba's knees show any signs of not holding up to another full season (this time with longer quarters).

If Treloar was on a three year contract I might hold a different option, but 5 years at $900k (the last two years at ages 31 & 32) is a massive risk. Burst players past age 30 are a real gamble.

Scraggers
09-11-2020, 09:05 AM
I doubt we cave. The preference would be to keep him, especially if Libba's knees show any signs of not holding up to another full season (this time with longer quarters).

If Treloar was on a three year contract I might hold a different option, but 5 years at $900k (the last two years at ages 31 & 32) is a massive risk. Burst players past age 30 are a real gamble.

Excuse my ignorance, but why does his current contract have to continue? His contact is with Collingwood, not us. Why can’t we sign him for a two year contract? The first where Collingwood pay part of the salary, and the second where we are responsible. If he is still worth the coin after two years we re-negotiate.

bornadog
09-11-2020, 09:08 AM

Why the hell did Collingwood do this?

Excuse my ignorance, but why does his current contract have to continue? His contact is with Collingwood, not us. Why can’t we sign him for a two year contract? The first where Collingwood pay part of the salary, and the second where we are responsible. If he is still worth the coin after two years we re-negotiate.

If you had his contract would you walk away and renegotiate those sort of dollars.

Mofra
09-11-2020, 09:10 AM
That is Treloar's choice, but I doubt there's a player in the competition that would give up a 5 x $900k contract so his current club can push him out the door.
The senior players at Collingwood are apparently unhappy at his treatment and he's a likeable guy by all accounts, if he goes back the wedge will be between players and management.

Ideally we keep Dunkley for at least 12 months and don't get Treloar. It helps us and seriously hurts both Essendon and Collingwood. What's not to love?

MrMahatma
09-11-2020, 09:12 AM

I guess the player would need to be comfortable with that, or he can stick with the Pies and the current contract. I doubt he’d go from his current contract to a 2 year one. Players sign long term deals for certainty... particularly in the post 30 years period of their career.

GVGjr
09-11-2020, 09:25 AM

He's indicated that he won't renegotiate the value of his contract

azabob
09-11-2020, 09:29 AM

Nor should he. From the outside looking in Treloar has done nothing wrong except act in good faith when Collingwood approached him to help them out with their salary cap issue.

Now he is being stooged.

Topdog
09-11-2020, 09:31 AM

Yeah he would be stupid to do so. We are on here saying we can understand Dunks wanting to jump ship for an extra 200k a season and then in the same thread asking if Treloar will give up > $1m

The Pie Man
09-11-2020, 09:47 AM
Sam Edmund reckons Treloar to us is unlikely

Tom Browne reckons we’re interested

Rational me hates that I care and wants someone to wake me up when it’s Friday

Happy Days
09-11-2020, 09:59 AM
Browne is trying to will the Dunkley trade into existence and thinks that us getting Treloar means no one gets their feelings hurt.

But, it should be acknowledged that Edmund isn’t exactly not full of shit either.

The Pie Man
09-11-2020, 10:45 AM
Browne is trying to will the Dunkley trade into existence and thinks that us getting Treloar means no one gets their feelings hurt.

But, it should be acknowledged that Edmund isn’t exactly not full of shit either.

Yep - footy media is exhausting

bulldogsthru&thru
09-11-2020, 10:50 AM
Just like trade radio saying Saad is worth pick 8 and a sweetener but Dunkley is worth only pick 8. Sometimes the media make me never want to have anything to do with footy.

1eyedog
09-11-2020, 11:27 AM
Saad's heaps good. Way better than JJ.

GVGjr
09-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Nor should he. From the outside looking in Treloar has done nothing wrong except act in good faith when Collingwood approached him to help them out with their salary cap issue.

Now he is being stooged.

But that is the reason clubs aren't lining up for him. There would be at least 4 Melbourne based clubs wanting to bring him in if he had 5 years at 650K they needed to accommodate.

Collingwood offer players a bundle, 12 months later ask them to back end the contract and then in this instance it becomes an inhibiting factor for trades. Players and managers should tread carefully with them going forward

bulldogtragic
09-11-2020, 11:52 AM
If you forgive my assumptions and bias. I thought I'd try to tie in all the possible trades into a mega fantasy league type trade. There's an infinite amount of paths the trade period could go, so I've been mucking around with this theory of a path trying to balance it out for all clubs to walk away feeling good about it. It's split up to follow it a bit more easily. So it might look a little imbalance in individual points, but the summary is where it's at.

Essendon: Pick 6 & 7 to Dogs - for - Dunkley & 14 (Essendon add more as per below)
Essendon: Pick 14 & 73 - for - Caldwell & Pick 52 (GWS would take it I think)
Dogs: Picks 6, 7, 54, Future 2nd & Young - for - Pick 2 & 28 (Hannan through the Ben Brown trade) (North fast track their rebuild)
Essendon: Pick 29 & Future 3rd - for - Fantasia & Future 2nd (Seems fair. Dodoro wants more, and the 2021 swap is minor but surely enough)
Essendon: Future 2nd - for Wright (GCS will take this)
Carlton: Saad & Pick 48 - for - Pick 8 (With the pick swaps below, it's better again)
Dogs: Treloar (plus salary) & Future 4th - for - Future First (Good for Collingwood & Treloar)
Carlton: Pick 48 & 51 - for - Dogs Pick 41 (136 Draft Point Gain) (as above)
Dogs: Pick 28 & Future 4th - for - Crows Picks 33, 56 & 66 (160 Draft Point Gain)
Dogs: Pick 33 - for - Pick 41 traded above to Carlton to make Saad trade happen (151 point reduction)
Essendon: Pick 52 (246 points to replace the 151 point reduction directly above = net 95 up) - added to - Dogs
Brisbane: (if The Age is correct) Martin - for - Pick 90 or DFA

Wash Up:

Carlton: Saad & Pick 33 (Pick 8 - A 25 pick downgrade) (Surely that a fair outcome)

GWS: First Rounder (Caldwell) (They want a top 10, but Pick 14 is fair)

Essendon: Dunkley, Caldwell, Wright, Picks 8 - 2021: First & Second Rounders in tact. Players swapped are Saad, Daniher, Fantasia. The players brought in are what they need, and because of the injuries of Daniher & Fantasia, they are bringing in more reliable talent and taking a top 10 pick to the draft. Winners...

North: Picks 6, 7, 54, Future 2nd, La Young (Picks 2 & 28) - North going into the draft with 6, 7, 11, 26, 54, banking our Future Second & will be getting good picks for Higgins etc.

Adelaide: Pick 28 & Future 4th - for - Picks 33, 56, 66 (to Dogs) - Moving up the order at the expense of risky later picks this year with 1, 9, 22, 23, 28, 40 and other trades to come.

Dogs: Pick 2, Treloar, Hannan, Martin, Future 4th X 1 (Collingwood) (for 2 X First Rounders, Future Second & Fourth and Dunkley & La Young) - Picks 41, 48, 51, 52, 56 & 66 draft points (1,313) traded to cover the draft points needs of JUH (circa 1,300 - 1,600 points after discount or so needed). We'd need 10 spots (7 picks and 3 trades). We'd have 6 with Dunkley & La Young out. So four more players delisted and/or traded (delistees who could be re-drafted if so desired). Another trade for a mid to mid-to-late Second Round Pick would have us almost certainly avoid a deficit. Names on here have been Dale, Schache or Richards. I could live with an aggressive year this year and a slower paced year next year.

I know I'm crazy, but does everyone now end up with a positive outcome?

Dogs:

Gain: Treloar, Hannan, Martin (if The Age is correct), Pick 2 (ie Hollands), JUH, MacPherson & Raak if wanted, No Deficit
Cost: Dunkley, La Young, Potentially Another Player, 2020 & 2021 First Rounders and 2021 Second Rounder
Draft: Next year would be relatively bare. Perhaps a couple of trades over this and next year could bring in some picks, especially if the U/18 pups Darcy, West & West look like we might want them as Father/Sons next year. A 3rd and a couple of 4ths provide some insurance though.

Practically speaking, main changes:

Dunkley - Treloar
Hannan - La Young
Martin - JT (if The Age is correct about Martin)
Pick 2 - Pick 14 & Pick 14-18 (circa next year)
JUH with no deficit - another trade player and our draft hand plus a future Second Rounder
MacPherson if wanted
Raak if wanted
Three draftees and/or re-drafted delisted players

It won't happen. We seem to be looking to down the order in a more traditional approach, not the GWS approach, which is fine. But we could be the key to release a lot of bigger trades in this theory of the case.

kruder
09-11-2020, 12:14 PM
If Treloar is too complex and there isn't another serious player to be had then Dunkley has to stay. Pick 8 even if it's turned into a first-round next year not interested. Be strong Sammy.

bornadog
09-11-2020, 12:18 PM
You are unbelievable BT

WBFC4FFC
09-11-2020, 12:19 PM
If Treloar is too complex and there isn't another serious player to be had then Dunkley has to stay. Pick 8 even if it's turned into a first-round next year not interested. Be strong Sammy.

Great to see we have signed Jong once more. In the best 22 when fit and healthy. Pace, strong tackler who takes a great overhead mark.

I just wonder whether his signing now is due to the Dunkley situation? If so, I suspect there is a good chance that the Bulldogs expect to trade Dunkley out this week.

Personally, a team with Dunks and Jong in it is a far better side.

Bulldog4life
09-11-2020, 01:00 PM
Why the hell did Collingwood do this?

If you had his contract would you walk away and renegotiate those sort of dollars.

Coillingwood already asked Treloar to take a pay cut and he said no.

Bulldog4life
09-11-2020, 01:04 PM
If Dunkley wants to go we need a player same age group to replace him. Tell The Bummers if they wat Dunkley we'll have Ridley. Take it or leave it.

comrade
09-11-2020, 01:05 PM
The social media scuttlebutt is that Hurley is being put up as part of the Dunkley trade.

Please, no. He had his chance to join us and stiffed us at the last moment. Hurley can get stuffed.

comrade
09-11-2020, 01:06 PM
If Dunkley wants to go we need a player same age group to replace him. Tell The Bummers if they wat Dunkley we'll have Ridley. Take it or leave it.

Ridley, Draper or Tippa are the only 3 I'd consider from Essendon.

GVGjr
09-11-2020, 01:06 PM
The social media scuttlebutt is that Hurley is being put up as part of the Dunkley trade.

Please, no. He had his chance to join us and stiffed us at the last moment. Hurley can get stuffed.

That is my thoughts as well. I'd rather keep Trengove than have Hurley

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-11-2020, 01:11 PM
That is my thoughts as well. I'd rather keep Trengove than have Hurley

It would boggle the mind that we'd bring in Hurley when it seems Trengove can't get a look in.. Why would we bring in another slow tall, who is actually past his prime?

Happy Days
09-11-2020, 01:12 PM
Hurley is worthless. No way he's a tentpole of this deal (I hope).

comrade
09-11-2020, 01:14 PM
Hurley is worthless. No way he's a tentpole of this deal (I hope).

I wouldn't think he'd be a crucial element, but I don't want any part of him at all, even as steak knives.

Mofra
09-11-2020, 01:15 PM
It would boggle the mind that we'd bring in Hurley when it seems Trengove can't get a look in.. Why would we bring in another slow tall, who is actually past his prime?
Hurley is too short to take modern no 1 KPFs. He's Bont's height, no chance he stands the 200cm, monsters roaming aroudn forwardlines these days. Reeks of an Essendon salary dump.

Topdog
09-11-2020, 01:24 PM
Hurley is finished as a player. Hooker too

bornadog
09-11-2020, 01:50 PM
Hurley is too short to take modern no 1 KPFs. He's Bont's height, no chance he stands the 200cm, monsters roaming aroudn forwardlines these days. Reeks of an Essendon salary dump.

Hurley is finished as a player. Hooker too

Totally agree

bulldogsthru&thru
09-11-2020, 01:53 PM
Honestly, I don't know why we'd even consider trading Dunkley to Essendon. Sure, be open about it with 16 other clubs but just don't even bother with them.

Sedat
09-11-2020, 02:10 PM

If he was still an elite key defender, he'd be worth some consideration as steak knives (given his age) but he has been phoning it in the last couple of seasons. No thanks on any level.

Why would we now want to help Essendon fix up their rampant salary cap issues from 4 years ago when they had to sign all the drugged up 34 on massive over-inflated contracts? Let the bastards rot.

soupman
09-11-2020, 02:13 PM
Can we be linked to a single player who might actually improve us and whose currently club is completely unconcerned about the prospect of losing?

Hannan is the closest thing to a required player we have targeted and he is a fringe forward at bloody Melbourne.

hujsh
09-11-2020, 02:34 PM
AFL.com has a more reasonable take on the situation

"The premiership Bulldog wants to go to Essendon (https://www.afl.com.au/news/523699/trade-request-confirmed-gun-dog-wants-to-be-a-bomber) but given he has two years left on his contract the Bombers will need to present a deal that gets the Dogs interested. Early picks aren't a must-have for the Dogs given their Academy gun Jamarra Ugle-Hagan coming through, but two first-round picks appear the likely starting point to prise the ball-winner out of Whitten Oval. The Bombers currently hold picks No.6 and 7 and are targeting pick No.8 for Adam Saad. The Dunkley deal will go down to the wire given the Dogs are happy to have him back in 2021, despite his trade request."

Doesn't suggest a straight swap for 8 is fine for us and acknowledges that the trade getting done isn't a fait accompli

bornadog
09-11-2020, 02:38 PM
AFL.com has a more reasonable take on the situation

"The premiership Bulldog wants to go to Essendon (https://www.afl.com.au/news/523699/trade-request-confirmed-gun-dog-wants-to-be-a-bomber) but given he has two years left on his contract the Bombers will need to present a deal that gets the Dogs interested. Early picks aren't a must-have for the Dogs given their Academy gun Jamarra Ugle-Hagan coming through, but two first-round picks appear the likely starting point to prise the ball-winner out of Whitten Oval. The Bombers currently hold picks No.6 and 7 and are targeting pick No.8 for Adam Saad. The Dunkley deal will go down to the wire given the Dogs are happy to have him back in 2021, despite his trade request."

Doesn't suggest a straight swap for 8 is fine for us and acknowledges that the trade getting done isn't a fait accompli

Carlton are asking for a future 2nd round back from Essendon for their pick 8 and Saad, but Dons will only give a 4th round back as they want that future 2nd as part of Caldwell deal. This is holding a few trades up.

GVGjr
09-11-2020, 02:49 PM

I don't think his height has ever been a problem for him and the modern forwards (King) haven't really developed yet. I tend to think it's a furphy. He's played and performed well over the years against the likes of Kennedy and Hawkins etc and they are in the main the same opponents he faces now.
It's his deteriorating athleticism and mounting injuries that has been his challenge. When he was at his best being 192cm tall was never a problem for him in fact we weren't concerned about his height just 4 years back

I don't want him because he's been in a poor performing team for far too long and his best football is long behind him. Plus for me there is a healthy level of spite to reject the guy now that rejected us when we had just won a flag :)

He would just get in the way of Lewis Young and I think Trengove offers more than Hurley right now anyway.

whythelongface
09-11-2020, 03:08 PM
Can we be linked to a single player who might actually improve us and whose currently club is completely unconcerned about the prospect of losing?

Hannan is the closest thing to a required player we have targeted and he is a fringe forward at bloody Melbourne.

Well Treloar seems to be that player.

Hannan doesn’t excite me but I suppose he adds depth to our forward structure. Glad we have made it clear that Lonie offers no interest.

azabob
09-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Ridley, Draper or Tippa are the only 3 I'd consider from Essendon.

I'm not even sure Ridley is worth considering is he? He has had one great year as an intercept defender.

I'd argue when allowed to play as an intercept defender Keith is at Ridley's level and Crozier is a rung below.

comrade
09-11-2020, 03:24 PM
I'm not even sure Ridley is worth considering is he? He has had one great year as an intercept defender.

I'd argue when allowed to play as an intercept defender Keith is at Ridley's level and Crozier is a rung below.

He's only had the one stand out season but it was a verrry good season. His reading of the play and marking ability is pretty freaky and mquite a few levels beyond Keath and Crozier, IMO (and he's only going to improve).

bulldogsthru&thru
09-11-2020, 03:25 PM
He's only had the one stand out season but it was a verrry good season. His reading of the play and marking ability is pretty freaky and mquite a few levels beyond Keath and Crozier, IMO (and he's only going to improve).

Like Lewis Young for us a few years ago?

Doc26
09-11-2020, 03:31 PM

Hurley these days would be hard pressed to even reach a classification of steak knives, maybe closer to a plastic stirring spoon from Maccas, but then even that adds some value.

comrade
09-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Like Lewis Young for us a few years ago?

I like Lewy but Ridley is miles ahead.

Happy Days
09-11-2020, 03:45 PM
Ridley's awesome but there is less than zero chance they give him up, and while he would be our best interceptor it isn't exactly a position of need for us. Draper is the one we need to be targeting.

Mofra
09-11-2020, 04:09 PM
Essendon supporters seem to think they have three "untouchables" Ridley, Draper and Mcgrath. Might be a bit late to ask for players who would be happy to move to us that aren't cooked/on massive contracts (rules out Hurley & Hooker).

Given Dunkley is contracted we should ask for something ridiculous - first, future first and some late picks for points this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-11-2020, 04:10 PM
I've got acquaintances who are Essendon fans and they are convinced they are paying overs by trading a first round pick + a second round pick, and that we should take into account JUH is the best player in the draft.

That's not a lie, either.

I hope they never win another *!*!*!*!ing final in my lifetime.

kruder
09-11-2020, 04:12 PM
I wish Tippa was still 25 he would be electric in our forwardline.

bornadog
09-11-2020, 04:13 PM
I wish Tippa was still 25 he would be electric in our forwardline.

Not much older at 27?

kruder
09-11-2020, 04:19 PM
Not much older at 27?

Yeah 28 when the season starts I just worry when small forwards lose their speed at the backend of their career.

I rate him though, we don't have a player anywhere near like him on the list, the challenge will be that DODO will overrate his value in any deal to be had.

Jeanette54
09-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Just heard on the AFL site that we are starting to weaken on the Dunkley trade, and that it will probably get done..

Stay strong doggies. We have absolutely no reason to go soft, and gift the Bombers anything.

DOG GOD
09-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Just heard on the AFL site that we are starting to weaken on the Dunkley trade, and that it will probably get done..

Stay strong doggies. We have absolutely no reason to go soft, and gift the Bombers anything.

Yep, my gut feel is that we will accept pick 7 only.

bornadog
09-11-2020, 04:43 PM

Who said that J54?

Axe Man
09-11-2020, 04:49 PM

Hmmm

https://i.postimg.cc/TYk8JTMV/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Jeanette54
09-11-2020, 04:50 PM
Cleary and (Riley) Beveridge Bornadog. They were also discussing whether any player was worth two first round picks.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-11-2020, 04:53 PM
Cleary and (Riley) Beveridge Bornadog. They were also discussing whether any player was worth two first round picks.

But that's just those two flogs spitballing, there's no indication from the club that we're weakening?

1eyedog
09-11-2020, 04:59 PM
But that's just those two flogs spitballing, there's no indication from the club that we're weakening?

Dead silence. Haven't heard from Power. With every passing minute I'm thinking more and more that he stays.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-11-2020, 05:03 PM
Dead silence. Haven't heard from Power. With every passing minute I'm thinking more and more that he stays.

I think unless Essendon resolves their trade deadlocks tomorrow, there is a very good chance Dunkley stays.
If Dodoro's trades all fall through, I think his time at the Bombers is over.

bornadog
09-11-2020, 05:24 PM

That is what I love about Power - the Iceman

https://dl9fvu4r30qs1.cloudfront.net/3b/52/6d98cd6a48a4923531249ae9d78a/the-iceman-behind-the-scenes.jpg

Mitcha
09-11-2020, 05:33 PM
Quite simply if the injectors want Dunkley they have until end of business tomorrow to present to Sam Power what they are prepared to offer to prize him out of a two year comittment. If that doesn't satisfy our decision makers then Essendon should be told to bugger off as we have other business to attend to. Apparently they are yet to formally present an offer as to what they are willing to part with which is par for the course with these arse clowns who make a play for everyone and drag everything out until the last minute. Pay up or piss off would be my ultimatum to the Dodo.

GVGjr
09-11-2020, 05:37 PM
Mitcha, I agree that we shouldn't get in their spoiling and delaying tactics. Put a timeframe on them and then close up shop if they can't meet it

What does your 'gut feel' say? Does he stay a dog or does the deal get done?

Doc26
09-11-2020, 05:54 PM
It feels as though Essendon / Dodoro want to claim Trade Week for their own, and placing too many Clubs like ours at their disposal.

The number of deals that they're trying to manipulate, due largely to their sinking ship, is stalling progress for too many.

I want the narrative to shift that sees us putting the heat on them in this regard.

As GVGjr mentions above " Put a timeframe on them and then close up shop if they can't meet it ", and allow us to move on.

Doc26
09-11-2020, 05:57 PM
That is what I love about Power - the Iceman

Who even is that? Kind of looks like some hybrid Cal Twoomey / Jason Akermanis

HOSE B ROMERO
09-11-2020, 06:32 PM
Do not give us junk for Dunk.

Stare him down Sammy.

AshMac
09-11-2020, 06:33 PM
Quite simply if the injectors want Dunkley they have until end of business tomorrow to present to Sam Power what they are prepared to offer to prize him out of a two year comittment. If that doesn't satisfy our decision makers then Essendon should be told to bugger off as we have other business to attend to. Apparently they are yet to formally present an offer as to what they are willing to part with which is par for the course with these arse clowns who make a play for everyone and drag everything out until the last minute. Pay up or piss off would be my ultimatum to the Dodo.

Spot on! We should have given them a deadline and told Dunkley the ball is in their court to make it work.

One thing about the bombers - they are fantastic at manipulating the media stories. Whether journos are their supporters or just desperate for clicks.

For mine, I’m happy with treloar on a contract which sees Collingwood pay at least 33% of his contract for the duration of his contract if the stars line up but I also want a first round pick next year.

FrediKanoute
09-11-2020, 07:04 PM

This was pretty much their MO with stringer. Destabilise the player through the media. Get the player to request a trade and then offer nothing until the death when some steak knives are offered.

josie
09-11-2020, 07:14 PM
Totally agree with your sentiments folks.

This will probably do stuff all - but I just sent email to the club (asking them to forward it to correct team) expressing my thoughts we should not cave in. I'm hoping think Sam Power will hold firm. (I have a lot more confidence after his form getting Keath at last minute for good value last year, compared to prior years before he came on board).

People power sometimes does work. Why not inundate our club with similar emails? I said in my email Bombers should have to pay min 2 x top 10 or equivalent deal that suits us and is overs, or we should keep Dunks. Sydney did it with Papley - we can do it with Dunks.

Grantysghost
09-11-2020, 07:14 PM
Are the Dons, like last year the Swans with Papley waiting for the Saad deal to happen?

Jeanette54
09-11-2020, 07:36 PM
Now Jon Ralph says that our resistance to a Dunkley trade has "crumbled". Where do they get this stuff ?

GVGjr
09-11-2020, 07:42 PM
Are the Dons, like last year the Swans with Papley waiting for the Saad deal to happen?

I think that is the deal that potentially kick starts others

bornadog
09-11-2020, 07:51 PM
Who even is that? Kind of looks like some hybrid Cal Twoomey / Jason Akermanis

From the Film, The Iceman :D

Grantysghost
09-11-2020, 07:55 PM
I think that is the deal that potentially kick starts others

Agree, so in a sense as much as I agree it may be hard to create a deadline for them as there's so many moving parts.

Funke disco
09-11-2020, 08:09 PM
Now Jon Ralph says that our resistance to a Dunkley trade has "crumbled". Where do they get this stuff ?

one can only withstand the history and might of Essendon for so long!

How dare we try and hold on to something that is rightfully theirs.....

get effed

josie
09-11-2020, 08:25 PM
Apparently HS just reporting Power only entertaining way overs incl 2 first round draft picks. Look at Big Footy WB if you want to see article (unless you know how to overcome paywall). A bit about Treloar too.

Yes!! Hold firm Mr Power!!

GVGjr
09-11-2020, 08:29 PM
Update (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/collingwood-is-prepared-to-pay-as-much-as-100000-of-adam-treloars-salary-if-a-trade-can-be-completed/news-story/d1ea6f75f22ce77d92d009b06b7a3aa3) by Jay Clark

The Western Bulldogs would prefer to keep midfield star Josh Dunkley than take a punt on Collingwood’s Adam Treloar amid unusual circumstances next season.

The Bulldogs are yet to speak to Treloar and will not consider releasing Dunkley to Essendon and trading for Treloar without his full commitment at the kennel for 2021 and beyond.

The Bombers have made a strong play for Dunkley, who wants to move to the Bombers to take on a frontline onball role for next season.

But the Bulldogs want to keep Dunkley and in any case cannot take Treloar without speaking to the midfield jet about his family circumstances and on-field role next season.

It is known the Bulldogs’ list manager Sam Power would only consider a trade proposal for Dunkley if it was outrageously over the odds, including two first-round draft picks.

Treloar’s wife, Australian netballer Kim Ravaillion, and their young child, will head to Queensland next year so she can play Super Netball for the Firebirds.

The developments mean on Monday night it remained more likely than not that Treloar would stay at Collingwood despite the Pies’ attempts to move him to clear salary cap space.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-11-2020, 08:32 PM
Oh bloody hell. I knew Power would soften!

The Bulldogs Bite
09-11-2020, 08:44 PM
Interesting article - if true that we want Treloar to nominate us before we trade for him, what's the hold up? Wonder if we've told Adam we won't make it public unless we get a deal for Dunkley so that everybody saves face.

I feel for AT. Does he have to make up his mind to go to whoever will take him, hope somebody like us does, or somehow return to Collingwood?

He surely has plan a, b and C.

kruder
09-11-2020, 08:55 PM
Interesting article - if true that we want Treloar to nominate us before we trade for him, what's the hold up? Wonder if we've told Adam we won't make it public unless we get a deal for Dunkley so that everybody saves face.

I feel for AT. Does he have to make up his mind to go to whoever will take him, hope somebody like us does, or somehow return to Collingwood?

He surely has plan a, b and C.

I think we loose leverage with Essendon if we declare our hand too early with Treloar. You want them to pay overs and then hope Collingwood panic late on the Salary dump.We can wait right to the death on this one.

azabob
09-11-2020, 09:06 PM

How do you get that?

“It is known the Bulldogs’ list manager Sam Power would only consider a trade proposal for Dunkley if it was outrageously over the odds, including two first-round draft picks”

bulldogsthru&thru
09-11-2020, 09:15 PM
How do you get that?

“It is known the Bulldogs’ list manager Sam Power would only consider a trade proposal for Dunkley if it was outrageously over the odds, including two first-round draft picks”

I need a sarcastic emoji

azabob
09-11-2020, 09:24 PM
I need a sarcastic emoji

Oops. I clearly didn’t pick it up

FrediKanoute
09-11-2020, 09:38 PM
Update (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/collingwood-is-prepared-to-pay-as-much-as-100000-of-adam-treloars-salary-if-a-trade-can-be-completed/news-story/d1ea6f75f22ce77d92d009b06b7a3aa3) by Jay Clark

The Western Bulldogs would prefer to keep midfield star Josh Dunkley than take a punt on Collingwood’s Adam Treloar amid unusual circumstances next season.

The Bulldogs are yet to speak to Treloar and will not consider releasing Dunkley to Essendon and trading for Treloar without his full commitment at the kennel for 2021 and beyond.

The Bombers have made a strong play for Dunkley, who wants to move to the Bombers to take on a frontline onball role for next season.

But the Bulldogs want to keep Dunkley and in any case cannot take Treloar without speaking to the midfield jet about his family circumstances and on-field role next season.

It is known the Bulldogs’ list manager Sam Power would only consider a trade proposal for Dunkley if it was outrageously over the odds, including two first-round draft picks.

Treloar’s wife, Australian netballer Kim Ravaillion, and their young child, will head to Queensland next year so she can play Super Netball for the Firebirds.

The developments mean on Monday night it remained more likely than not that Treloar would stay at Collingwood despite the Pies’ attempts to move him to clear salary cap space.

There is no way we should go after Treloar based on this. You cannot have a situation where a player's personal life is torn across states.

1eyedog
09-11-2020, 09:46 PM
So Essendon's Daniher compo and the Saad pick? What do we do with them? Treloar and someone else or will it be a future first?

bornadog
09-11-2020, 09:49 PM
There is no way we should go after Treloar based on this. You cannot have a situation where a player's personal life is torn across states.

Thanks Ed

jazzadogs
09-11-2020, 10:15 PM
Let's say the trade was Dunkley for pick 7 and Mcdonald-Tipungwuti, and we on-traded 7 for Treloar and a hefty percentage of his salary, are we happy with that?

Dunkley for AMT and Treloar makes our side better IMO for the next two years at least - but is it enough of a 'win' for a guy who is contracted and only 23yo?

1eyedog
09-11-2020, 10:18 PM
If AMT and Treloar get us to a top 4 position in the next two years then yes.

bulldogtragic
09-11-2020, 10:19 PM
So Essendon's Daniher compo and the Saad pick? What do we do with them? Treloar and someone else or will it be a future first?

If that happens (get 7 & 8) we must surely go big for North’s Pick 2, 26 & 28.

Offer them 7, 8, 14, 54, Future Second & La Young

They then hold 4 Top 15 Picks: 7, 8, 11 & 14, 54, 63 plus Young et al

We hold more than enough points for JUH & have pick 2. We still have a future 1st to trade with.

*if* we got 7 & 8 for Dunkley, then Power is smart enough to jump ahead of the JUH bid, plunder the top 3 on draft night and have a future first for a ready made player such as Treloar or AMT (or both if either wanted a decent player of ours).

This could be such a defining trade period. Epic possibly.

(Edit: 26, 28 & 90 = 1,406 Points. Swap Adelaide: 33, 40, 50 & 56 = 1,459. Of course as we are ahead on draft points, there's no unofficial non bidding agreement... We help Adelaide to Picks 1, 9, 22, 23, 26, 28, 66, 80 & 90) (1,406 plus 412 from Pick 41 = 1,818 Draft Points easily covers JUH even if at Pick 3 which is 1,788 Draft Points after discount. Surplus or live trading can deal with MacPherson/Raak if wanted or needed. 5 spots need to be open, which isn't an issue either)

GVGjr
09-11-2020, 10:20 PM

I might be reading this incorrectly but are we trying to make sure Treloar commits to us AND in doing so he puts a more realistic value on his services OR if he doesn't he can stay at Collingwood and sort out things with them
If he commits to us with those conditions we might then be willing to listen to an offer for Dunkley

Twodogs
09-11-2020, 10:41 PM
I need a sarcastic emoji

Like this one?

:rolleyes:

josie
09-11-2020, 10:42 PM
Oops. I clearly didn’t pick it up

Neither did I. Too much Trump nonsense for me in last week methinks. Thx for clarification BT&T. Just please NO POSTs ALL IN CAPITALs OK!!

The Adelaide Connection
09-11-2020, 10:57 PM
If that happens (get 7 & 8) we must surely go big for North’s Pick 2, 26 & 28.

Offer them 7, 8, 14, 54, Future Second & La Young

They then hold 4 Top 15 Picks: 7, 8, 11 & 14, 54, 63 plus Young et al

We hold more than enough points for JUH & have pick 2. We still have a future 1st to trade with.

*if* we got 7 & 8 for Dunkley, then Power is smart enough to jump ahead of the JUH bid, plunder the top 3 on draft night and have a future first for a ready made player such as Treloar or AMT (or both if either wanted a decent player of ours).

This could be such a defining trade period. Epic possibly.

BT, stop it!

Seriously, I am starting to view ending up with Dunkley as a loss!

Side note: I think I would still rather deal our #14 for Adelaide's 22 & 33 (1408 points) over North's 26 & 28 (1406 points) because it probably comes with a "don't take JUH at #1" handshake.

Can you imagine we did everything you outlined above and those pricks decide to make us use #2 on JUH?

bulldogsthru&thru
09-11-2020, 11:31 PM
Like this one?

:rolleyes:

Is that what that is!

It is the silly season after all! I know this time of year brings about funny essenodonisms but I have been absolutely floored by the garbage put out by ALL media reporting on this Dunkley trade. Murdoch must honestly be an Essendon fan. I. Just. Don’t. Get it.

1eyedog
10-11-2020, 07:33 AM
I might be reading this incorrectly but are we trying to make sure Treloar commits to us AND in doing so he puts a more realistic value on his services OR if he doesn't he can stay at Collingwood and sort out things with them
If he commits to us with those conditions we might then be willing to listen to an offer for Dunkley

It really seemed like Power called out Treloar yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised to hear Treloar nominate us today.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2020, 07:34 AM

Yep and if it is a player it has to be one in the same age bracket as Dunkley not 5 or 6 years older in my opinion.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2020, 07:37 AM

Don't think he has by that article.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2020, 07:40 AM
Don't think he has by that article.

Just saw your sarcastic quote BTT.:)

Bulldog4life
10-11-2020, 07:43 AM

To me if the Collywobbles don't want Treloar plus his huge salary and the fact he might struggle without his partner and child = a big red flag.

SquirrelGrip
10-11-2020, 07:46 AM
The Bulldogs meanwhile are interested in Collingwood's Adam Treloar and believe it is not inconceivable they could trade for him and still keep midfielder Josh Dunkley.

The Dogs remain determined to hold onto Dunkley and reject offers from Essendon for the midfielder. Essendon is prepared to trade pick 8 to the Dogs.

Early picks are of little value to the Bulldogs because of the fact they have academy player Jamarra Ugle-Hagan coming in potentially at first pick, so the only way an Essendon offer could turn the Dogs' heads would be if it meant they brought in a ready-made player.

According to The Age, we could keep Dunkley and get Treloar. That would be a win.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2020, 08:22 AM
BT, stop it!

Seriously, I am starting to view ending up with Dunkley as a loss!

Side note: I think I would still rather deal our #14 for Adelaide's 22 & 33 (1408 points) over North's 26 & 28 (1406 points) because it probably comes with a "don't take JUH at #1" handshake.

Can you imagine we did everything you outlined above and those pricks decide to make us use #2 on JUH?

*if* we got 7 & 8 and North were happy with 7, 8, 54, future 2nd & La Young, then yep that's another path to a good outcome. I hate Adelaide, probably not as much as you, but I just don't see it, but I'm sure Sam can manage that.

When you look at the fact GWS were going to land Setterfield, and trading down for points would've been a nice outcome. Then they used this strategy with players leaving to get pick 2 and land Tim Taranto and a few picks later Setterfield. It's an 'all in' play to do it, and the last time we went 'all in' when a gun midfielder wanted out of a contract that move was the key to winning a premiership.

We might have to trade down and have a traditional kind of approach because nothing is guaranteed. That's a pass mark, and maybe not as inspiring as other moves. But I really do hope in the dozens of scenarios Power and his team have, one of them is 'trade up'. In a bit over 48 hours we will know how the chips fell.

comrade
10-11-2020, 08:37 AM
Collingwood have been burnt by the Beams deal and it seems like Treloar is showing some of the same red flags. I feel very sorry for the predicament they've put AT in, but I also don't want the Bulldogs holding the bucket and cleaning up another club's mess.

GVGjr
10-11-2020, 09:25 AM
Power seems to be calling Essendon's bluff here saying that he isn't interested in a 3 way trade that delivers Dunkley to Essendon
Any deal for Dunkley needs to be a separate deal and any interest in Treloar will also be a separate deal.

I get the feeling that if AT comes to his senses with his financial demands he might be headed to us

If that happened how do we spread the midfield minutes among our group? With McLean out that will help a bit

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2020, 09:29 AM
Power seems to be calling Essendon's bluff here saying that he isn't interested in a 3 way trade that delivers Dunkley to Essendon
Any deal for Dunkley needs to be a separate deal and any interest in Treloar will also be a separate deal.

I get the feeling that if AT comes to his senses with his financial demands he might be headed to us

If that happened how do we spread the midfield minutes among our group? With McLean out that will help a bit

The bolded part is a bit harsh GVG. If you signed a contract for 900K, helped your employer to back end it, then it got to your big pay day and they wanted to show you the door, would you help everyone out and take 2-300K less somewhere else?

It's a messy situation but I don't blame AT for actually wanting to be paid what was agreed upon. If he takes less to come to the Dogs, it's noble but stupid. If I am him, I'm holding Collingwood to account one way or another.

Mofra
10-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Treloar 5 x $900k. It's a ridiculous contract to take on in a position which is not a position of need.

He'll be 28 at the start of the season and it's a five year deal. Do we really think a 32 year old burst mid is going to be worth $900k in 2025?
For that price we could snare an A grade KPD - Stephen May is on less. Lever is on ~$750 as per media reports, who knows what Weiering is on, Harris Andrews. That's the calibre of player in that contract range.

soupman
10-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Collingwood have been burnt by the Beams deal and it seems like Treloar is showing some of the same red flags. I feel very sorry for the predicament they've put AT in, but I also don't want the Bulldogs holding the bucket and cleaning up another club's mess.

This is what I keep telling people.

Beams was a high profile player who fell in Collingwoods lap (as in they did not seek him out as a trade target) who had known issues with his body and off field and came at a severe cost to their trade assets and took up a huge part of their salary cap which they hadn't planned for and played a position they didn't need to bolster like that anyway.

Treloar fits basically everything there, with the only bonus being that he might cost less in trade assets because Collingwood are so stuffed if they keep him.

Who was the last player that was pushed out of their club for any reason that was a good idea to pick up? And how is putting a $700K unplanned divot in your salary cap for at least two years when you have Bont about to come out of contract a good thing?

Topdog
10-11-2020, 09:39 AM
The bolded part is a bit harsh GVG. If you signed a contract for 900K, helped your employer to back end it, then it got to your big pay day and they wanted to show you the door, would you help everyone out and take 2-300K less somewhere else?

It's a messy situation but I don't blame AT for actually wanting to be paid what was agreed upon. If he takes less to come to the Dogs, it's noble but stupid. If I am him, I'm holding Collingwood to account one way or another.

Agree 100% and lets be honest even if he stays at Collingwood and they hate his salary they will still play him.

This is all a Collingwood stuff up and Treloar shouldn't be punished for that.

Happy Days
10-11-2020, 09:39 AM
No one advocating for Treloar is actually advocating for Treloar at $900k right? Think we'd be mad to take him on at a cent over $600k, and even then it should cost us next to nothing to do so. Reports of us having to kick a potential top 10 pick are madness.

comrade
10-11-2020, 09:41 AM
Who was the last player that was pushed out of their club for any reason that was a good idea to pick up? And how is putting a $700K unplanned divot in your salary cap for at least two years when you have Bont about to come out of contract a good thing?

I'm sure there have been a few but I can't think of one off te top of my head, especially at the whacky salary Treloar is on.

GVGjr
10-11-2020, 09:44 AM

I know what you are saying and the point I'm trying to make is that he accepted his contract to be back ended, albeit in good faith, but it's now an inhibiting condition of him getting away from an unfriendly work environment. I don't think that can be disputed
I feel sorry for him but he can't blame clubs being spooked by his contract

If he is happy to stay at Collingwood and work through the challenges then good luck to him. I'd be looking to move to a place where I could reach my playing potential and be a bit flexible with my financial requirements

Topdog
10-11-2020, 09:45 AM
No one advocating for Treloar is actually advocating for Treloar at $900k right? Think we'd be mad to take him on at a cent over $600k, and even then it should cost us next to nothing to do so. Reports of us having to kick a potential top 10 pick are madness.

No chance. I'd want the Pies to be chipping in 30% each year to do the deal, which simply wont happen.

Having said that I think AT is nuts if he agrees to a significant pay cut to join us.

Topdog
10-11-2020, 09:46 AM
I know what you are saying and the point I'm trying to make is that he accepted his contract to be back ended, albeit in good faith, but it's now an inhibiting condition of him getting away from an unfriendly work environment. I don't think that can be disputed
I feel sorry for him but he can't blame clubs being spooked by his contract

If he is happy to stay at Collingwood and work through the challenges then good luck to him. I'd be looking to move to a place where I could reach my playing potential and be a bit flexible with my financial requirements

Make no mistake him leaving would be a disaster for Collingwood as well. They are stuffed either way as no player is going to trust them with contract changes going forward.

comrade
10-11-2020, 09:49 AM
Make no mistake him leaving would be a disaster for Collingwood as well. They are stuffed either way as no player is going to trust them with contract changes going forward.

Sam Power should be calling Brodie Grundy's manager and raising this point.

bornadog
10-11-2020, 09:52 AM
This is what I keep telling people.

Beams was a high profile player who fell in Collingwoods lap (as in they did not seek him out as a trade target) who had known issues with his body and off field and came at a severe cost to their trade assets and took up a huge part of their salary cap which they hadn't planned for and played a position they didn't need to bolster like that anyway.

Treloar fits basically everything there, with the only bonus being that he might cost less in trade assets because Collingwood are so stuffed if they keep him.

Pies have really stuffed up. Cox has triggered another year from his contract and they need to pay him $550k. However, he has said he is prepared to negotiate his contract in order to stay. They have the worst list management in the AFL paying big dollars to Treloar, Beams, Cox and now De Goey wants his share and god only knows what Grundy is on or other players.

Doc26
10-11-2020, 09:57 AM
Pies have really stuffed up. Cox has triggered another year from his contract and they need to pay him $550k. However, he has said he is prepared to negotiate his contract in order to stay. They have the worst list management in the AFL paying big dollars to Treloar, Beams, Cox and now De Goey wants his share and god only knows what Grundy is on or other players.

And if rumour is true, Philips is on 600k.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2020, 10:18 AM

I was told Pert had a hand in paying the big dollars that was the reason he left...or pushed.

Happy Days
10-11-2020, 10:20 AM
This Treloar news makes me feel like we're all going to stick with what we've got.

Hilarious to see happen to Essendon again but I'd actually warmed to the idea of a king's ransom for Dunks.

1eyedog
10-11-2020, 10:20 AM
Treloar at Collingwood is simply untenable. How can he possibly stay after everything that's happened?

It's close to workplace harassment and unfair dismissal.

soupman
10-11-2020, 10:21 AM
Hilarious to see happen to Essendon again but I'd actually warmed to the idea of a king's ransom for Dunks.
Yes. Dunkleys blog combined with BT's calculations have me very happy to lose him.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2020, 10:22 AM
The Dunks plan.....Stay with the doggies and get more time in the guts, no rucking and a pay increase. Might work a treat.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2020, 10:24 AM
Treloar at Collingwood is simply untenable. How can he possibly stay after everything that's happened?

It's close to workplace harassment and unfair dismissal.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Gold Coast to be close to his partner and child.

bornadog
The Dunks plan.....Stay with the doggies and get more time in the guts, no rucking and a pay increase. Might work a treat.

I can't see why a coach would promise more time in the guts. Doesn't a game plan involve many parts and if it doesn't suit, you don't play a player in a particular spot.

Doc26

If that was to happen I’d like to see him recommit for a further year on his contract to shut down what might be two years of scuttle but.

Bulldog4life
10-11-2020, 10:30 AM
I can't see why a coach would promise more time in the guts. Doesn't a game plan involve many parts and if it doesn't suit, you don't play a player in a particular spot.

It was sort of tongue in cheek.

Mofra
10-11-2020, 10:34 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Gold Coast to be close to his partner and child.
Seems silly to move states on a five year contract given his wife has a 10 month contract

Bulldog4life
10-11-2020, 10:39 AM
Seems silly to move states on a five year contract given his wife has a 10 month contract

True. Unless she wants to live there after contract.

Vred
10-11-2020, 10:43 AM
Sam Edmund reporting that him + every other list manager in the league doesn't think the Dunkley deal gets done, at all, Essendon just can't get what we want for him.

Good, *!*!*!*! Dodo and *!*!*!*! Essendon.

comrade
10-11-2020, 10:45 AM
Sam Edmund reporting that him + every other list manager in the league doesn't think the Dunkley deal gets done, at all, Essendon just can't get what we want for him.

Good, *!*!*!*! Dodo and *!*!*!*! Essendon.

If Dodo drops the ball on this and can't get a deal done, Dunks is going to have to sell a few extra birthday video messages to make up for the shortfall he was hoping to make at the Bombers :D

Axe Man
10-11-2020, 10:46 AM
True. Unless she wants to live there after contract.

Treloar has last year and this year refused to consider the Suns, wants to play in Victoria. If he wanted Gold Coast he would already be there. Apparently they will move there after his career is done but not interested in playing there.

Bulldog Revolution
10-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Treloar 5 x $900k. It's a ridiculous contract to take on in a position which is not a position of need.

He'll be 28 at the start of the season and it's a five year deal. Do we really think a 32 year old burst mid is going to be worth $900k in 2025?
For that price we could snare an A grade KPD - Stephen May is on less. Lever is on ~$750 as per media reports, who knows what Weiering is on, Harris Andrews. That's the calibre of player in that contract range.

With respect Mofra, Treloar has been a much higher level performer than May and Lever. Now sure Mays just had a good year, but hes had plenty of poor ones, Lever has been impacted by injury but I wouldnt have thought either were consistent performers.

Harris and Weitering have likely been well remunerated from the start and almost impossible to shake loose - and Weitering has only really just had his first good year.

Pies may have overpaid but AT has been a v.good player for them - he may not be a key back but his genuine game breaking run and carry has added a lot.

GVGjr
10-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Anyone getting the impression that Power is saying no to both Dodoro and Jeemak wishes to trade Dunkley :)

Danjul
10-11-2020, 11:28 AM
With respect Mofra, Treloar has been a much higher level performer than May and Lever. Now sure Mays just had a good year, but hes had plenty of poor ones, Lever has been impacted by injury but I wouldnt have thought either were consistent performers.

Harris and Weitering have likely been well remunerated from the start and almost impossible to shake loose - and Weitering has only really just had his first good year.

Pies may have overpaid but AT has been a v.good player for them - he may not be a key back but his genuine game breaking run and carry has added a lot.
Treloar has only taken the field 8 times this season.

And when he did his contributions seemed to be in sync with Grundy. Here’s two consecutive games.

Grundy: 46, 24 hitouts
Treloar: 34, 22 disposals

We saw that when English was able to win in the ruck both Macrae and Bont were able to straighten up our centre clearances and kick with some precision to full forward area.

How would Treloar go with a losing ruck. We already have some specialists. Our biggest need is a ruckman.

Mofra
10-11-2020, 11:35 AM
I'm not so sure about that - none of them have been AA, and it's a hell of a lot harder to find a quality KPD than it is to find a quality midfielder.
Stephen May has been a club captain for two years while Treloar is being actively pushed out of the door by his current club.

Given we're talking about this in the context of our current trading period, if we were going to spend $900k on a player I'd much rather we look at an A grade KPD than an A grade midfielder.

Doc26
10-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Anyone getting the impression that Power is saying no to both Dodoro and Jeemak wishes to trade Dunkley :)

If Dodoro is positioning to Sammy Power a Dunkley trade based on what Goddard and Edmund are spruiking on Trade Radio right now, that is, valuing Dunks at no more than one first round for Dunkley, I'd be shutting up shop immediately.

We've been referencing the Shiel trade as a baseline for any Dunkley discussions. Shiel was coming out of contract, and IMO Dunkley offers Essendon so much more in terms of their need for a big bull inside mid and a young leader akin to what Callan Ward provided GWS with.

Essendon appear to be offering him the world, coming straight into their leadership group at 23 years of age. Further, going into 2021, Essendon without landing Dunkley will look so much MORE pedestrian having lost Saad, Daniher and Fantasia, and a list that is terribly unbalanced and by all accounts fractured.

They will be DESPERATE to announce this trade more than any other, and have done the hard work by having Dunkley commit to breaking his contract.

Given these circumstances, our minimum starting point for us to even consider Dunks moving has to be Essendon coughing up 2 firsts, with a single first downright offensive. Anything less and I'll be spewing up.

After a week of negotiations following Shiel nominating the Bombers as his preferred home at the start of the trade period, the clubs agreed on the deal just eight minutes before the 8.30pm deadline.

Essendon gave up two first-round picks – No.9 this year and next year's first-round selection – in return for Shiel and the Giants' second-round pick next year.

List manager Adrian Dodoro said it was a battle to get Shiel over the line before the deadline, but said the club was excited to welcome a quality player to the club.

"It was a bit of a fight there this afternoon," Dodoro laughed

"Apologies to the Essendon fans for waiting, but we got there and that's the main thing.

At the end of the day, he's a quality player and once GWS was able to release some players, they realised they had the capacity to keep him."

Well Dodoro, we certainly have the capacity to keep Dunks, and is our expressed desire to keep him for the same reasons that you're trying to pry him from us under contract.

bornadog
10-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Memo to POWER: Don't trade Dunkley - Essendon are too hard to deal with.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-11-2020, 11:43 AM
The only way Dunkley doesn't play for us next year is if we cave or his blog suddenly takes off.

There is no way Essendon will give up what we would like as fair value for a contracted player, soon to be in his prime. Let's not forget that Dunks is worth more to the bummers than us. So they need to tempt us, not the other way around like the media are reporting.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2020, 11:45 AM
Memo to POWER: Don't trade Dunkley - Essendon are too hard to deal with.

We should just give them a non negotiable deadline. Midday tomorrow. Then let Dunkley's manager heap the immense pressure on Dodoro tomorrow morning.

mjp
10-11-2020, 12:05 PM

You know backup ruckman get $650/$700K right?

Treloar is a victim of that "team first" mentality that gets so many players caught out. He agreed to 'push money back' in his own deal to enable the pies to sign other players...Dayne Beams first amongst them. From what I understand, an extra year was offered when this was done and the short-term pay cut was significant (in the hundreds of thousands).

He is a top quality mid with undoubted leg speed, one elite skill (first handball receive player) and considerable x-factor. He kicks it pretty well despite some claims to the contrary.

Do we need him? Well - I worry that he isn't really *WHAT* we need...but he is a bloody good player. His weakness is that real commitment to two way running and I don't like the idea of him being in a midfield with Bont, J-Mac and Liber who don't exactly excel in that area...Smith has potential there at least.

I still think we need more grunt - which is why I don't mind the idea of Hannan coming in for Lloyd...I just think our flankers and wingers are a little bit 'pretty' these days and whilst I appreciate the overall 'talent' of our group, there is a big difference from being a talented player and a GOOD player. I have harped on about the premature retirement of Matty Boyd (2017 was ruined due to concussion but he was back playing good footy by the end of it) and Picken enough...but we need players like those two, like Clay Smith (though hopefully better by foot!), like the most obvious one, Dale Morris.

I worry that Richards will never become that type of committed player...that Dale wont, that Le Young wont, that Lloyd wont, that Schache wont...I worry that when things get tough we will have too many passengers on the bus and not enough with their feet in the mud pushing. I can see the attributes in so many of our players that caught the attention of our recruiters...but I wonder if we just have overlooked that one critical element that enabled Morris to tackle Franklin in the centre square on GF day. I wonder if Treloar has that - and if our pursuit of him (if that is what it is) is more associated with seeing a shiny new toy to seeing something that we really, really need.

Ghost Dog
10-11-2020, 01:32 PM
Nah send him to the ruck for the first 8 games straight for punishment!

Bulldog Revolution
10-11-2020, 01:33 PM
I'm not so sure about that - none of them have been AA, and it's a hell of a lot harder to find a quality KPD than it is to find a quality midfielder.
Stephen May has been a club captain for two years while Treloar is being actively pushed out of the door by his current club.

Given we're talking about this in the context of our current trading period, if we were going to spend $900k on a player I'd much rather we look at an A grade KPD than an A grade midfielder.

I take your point - that they key position player is more valuable if they are A graders but I guess I just wouldnt have committed that money to May or Lever - but for Harris Andrews or McGovern yes

bornadog
10-11-2020, 01:46 PM
And if rumour is true, Philips is on 600k.

"Jaidyn Stephenson does not want to go anywhere. He signed a quiet little contract extension last year, he's on close to $600,000 a year"- Sam Edmund

Another ridiculous amount

SquirrelGrip
10-11-2020, 01:48 PM
"Jaidyn Stephenson does not want to go anywhere. He signed a quiet little contract extension last year, he's on close to $600,000 a year"- Sam Edmund

Another ridiculous amount

So who is NOT getting overpaid at Collingwood? That's who we should be targeting.

divvydan
10-11-2020, 02:57 PM
Makes sense that you'd have a lot of leverage in the contract when you've just won the rising star award and playing every game in your debut season, including a GF.

Bulldog Joe
10-11-2020, 03:01 PM
So who is NOT getting overpaid at Collingwood? That's who we should be targeting.

Well Mihocek was kept on rookie wages.

I think they have now resigned him, but he would definitely require significantly more.

Mofra
10-11-2020, 04:12 PM
You know backup ruckman get $650/$700K right?

Treloar is a victim of that "team first" mentality that gets so many players caught out. He agreed to 'push money back' in his own deal to enable the pies to sign other players...Dayne Beams first amongst them. From what I understand, an extra year was offered when this was done and the short-term pay cut was significant (in the hundreds of thousands).

He is a top quality mid with undoubted leg speed, one elite skill (first handball receive player) and considerable x-factor. He kicks it pretty well despite some claims to the contrary.

Do we need him? Well - I worry that he isn't really *WHAT* we need...but he is a bloody good player. His weakness is that real commitment to two way running and I don't like the idea of him being in a midfield with Bont, J-Mac and Liber who don't exactly excel in that area...Smith has potential there at least.

I still think we need more grunt - which is why I don't mind the idea of Hannan coming in for Lloyd...I just think our flankers and wingers are a little bit 'pretty' these days and whilst I appreciate the overall 'talent' of our group, there is a big difference from being a talented player and a GOOD player. I have harped on about the premature retirement of Matty Boyd (2017 was ruined due to concussion but he was back playing good footy by the end of it) and Picken enough...but we need players like those two, like Clay Smith (though hopefully better by foot!), like the most obvious one, Dale Morris.

I worry that Richards will never become that type of committed player...that Dale wont, that Le Young wont, that Lloyd wont, that Schache wont...I worry that when things get tough we will have too many passengers on the bus and not enough with their feet in the mud pushing. I can see the attributes in so many of our players that caught the attention of our recruiters...but I wonder if we just have overlooked that one critical element that enabled Morris to tackle Franklin in the centre square on GF day. I wonder if Treloar has that - and if our pursuit of him (if that is what it is) is more associated with seeing a shiny new toy to seeing something that we really, really need.
I can't think of a single back-up ruckman on that kind of money, or near it. We all know Grundy's on $1m over 7 as a first ruck, and Lycett signed a $700k 4 year deal but he is also a first ruck. Maybe Nankervis would be the closest? He's Ben Hudson mk 2 and in 2020 at least was technically Soldo's back-up but he'll be the no 1 guy next year.

I like Treloar as a player now. And in 2021, 2022, probably 2023 - but do we really want to pay him $900k when he's a 31 and a 32 year old? 5 years at $900k is one of the biggest deals in the AFL.
We're screaming out for quality in the front half and a decent KPD. If we're going to spend money, retention + need are the first two areas I'd look at.

As for the other players you've mentioned - I'm off the Dale bandwagon whenever the pressure is up, Richards will never reach his potential as a front half role player with us (and still has currency), I can't see Schache playing much football with us (and I think Hannan is instantly best 22 for us as a deep forward).

Wallis does have some Clay Smith traits in the front half and Hannan helps, but if Clay Smith has a cousin I'd love to know about it.
Would we consider that ex-Footscray kid who had some serious grunt? We went close to grabbing him in the mini-draft. Kyle his first name is...

Mofra
10-11-2020, 04:13 PM
JDG and Stephenson. Both inconsistent match winners. JDG has some serious issues over his head and Stephenson signed a $500k extension in his first season.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2020, 04:18 PM
I can't think of a single back-up ruckman on that kind of money, or near it. We all know Grundy's on $1m over 7 as a first ruck, and Lycett signed a $700k 4 year deal but he is also a first ruck. Maybe Nankervis would be the closest? He's Ben Hudson mk 2 and in 2020 at least was technically Soldo's back-up but he'll be the no 1 guy next year.

I like Treloar as a player now. And in 2021, 2022, probably 2023 - but do we really want to pay him $900k when he's a 31 and a 32 year old? 5 years at $900k is one of the biggest deals in the AFL.

It's a good point.

I guess the question is, how far do we think we are off genuinely contending? If we think we can win it in the next 1-3 years and that Treloar improves us significantly to do so, then I don't mind the risk.

I'd rather take a risk and fail than play it safe and fail.

It means we would need to try and trade in a KPD on the cheap or draft a ready made one from a state league, but if Treloar who is absolutely elite is available, then take the elite player now and work out another way to find a KPD. In all likelihood, we wouldn't attract a star KPD from another club anyway.

* Worth noting we didn't have elite KPDs in 2016 either. Morris, yes - but he played as the third tall behind Hamling and Roberts.

bornadog
10-11-2020, 04:22 PM
It's a good point.

I guess the question is, how far do we think we are off genuinely contending? If we think we can win it in the next 1-3 years and that Treloar improves us significantly to do so, then I don't mind the risk.

I'd rather take a risk and fail than play it safe and fail.

It means we would need to try and trade in a KPD on the cheap or draft a ready made one from a state league, but if Treloar who is absolutely elite is available, then take the elite player now and work out another way to find a KPD. In all likelihood, we wouldn't attract a star KPD from another club anyway.

* Worth noting we didn't have elite KPDs in 2016 either. Morris, yes - but he played as the third tall behind Hamling and Roberts.

Time running out to get a KPD unless we are working on it now. Is AA from Sydney of interest? Apparently touring Port at the moment, so must be available.

Bulldog Revolution
10-11-2020, 04:29 PM
Time running out to get a KPD unless we are working on it now. Is AA from Sydney of interest? Apparently touring Port at the moment, so must be available.

Id thought he provided the functional flexibility that Bevo craves - he can play back right and take a turn in the ruck?

DOG GOD
10-11-2020, 04:37 PM
How much do you think we are considering the Dunkley 2x first rounders for NM pick 2?
Are we thinking of grabbing McDonald and moving Naughton back?
We keep hearing we need another KPD, but don’t we already have one playing fwd ?

mjp
10-11-2020, 05:09 PM
I can't think of a single back-up ruckman on that kind of money, or near it.

Small list without using notes.

Preuss.
Cox.
Ceglar.
Ryder. Or Marshall - whoever you prefer.
Take your pick out of Bellchambers or the kid everyone loves at Essendon whose name I forget. (Yes, Bellchambers gone now).
Hickey.
Vardy.
McInerney
Ladhams. Or Lycett - whoever you prefer.
With more than 5 secs I could go on...but backup ruckman use up an extraordinary amount of cap space for a lot of clubs.

SquirrelGrip
10-11-2020, 05:09 PM
Time running out to get a KPD unless we are working on it now.

Is KPD code for Kyle Percy Dunkley?

comrade
10-11-2020, 05:12 PM

Preuss.
Cox.
Ceglar.
Take your pick out of Bellchambers or the kid everyone loves at Essendon whose name I forget. (Yes, Bellchambers gone now).
Hickey.
Vardy.
McInerney
With more than 5 secs I could go on...but backup ruckman use up an extraordinary amount of cap space for a lot of clubs.

Preuss (while at Melbourne), Ceglar, Hickey, Vardy and Ladhams are all on 600-700k?

Ryder at 32 was brought across with a late pick on 600k+?

If that is true, that's amazing.

McInernany I can believe as he is more versatile, and Lycett definitely because he is the main man.

Jeanette54
10-11-2020, 05:54 PM
Story is that Treloar is to meet with the 'doggies", but this trade could only happen with a) an enticing pick (probably from Dunks trade), or b) Us taking on far more of Adam's contract salary.

Personally, unless AT is an absolute give away, I would rather have Josh.

mjp
10-11-2020, 06:55 PM
If that is true, that's amazing.

Ruckman do ok, don't worry about that. It is why stashing one on the rookie list is so attractive for clubs...

ledge
10-11-2020, 08:11 PM
Story is that Treloar is to meet with the 'doggies", but this trade could only happen with a) an enticing pick (probably from Dunks trade), or b) Us taking on far more of Adam's contract salary.

Personally, unless AT is an absolute give away, I would rather have Josh.

How good would it be if we had both

Ghost Dog
10-11-2020, 08:52 PM
Two Essendon supporters sitting on a bench

"I haven’t noticed Dunkley any time we’ve played Bulldogs."

"Probably because we have laid down for them the past 2 times we have played them."

Thanks Bomber's blitz and they are spying on us too...

"Dogs forum accepting nothing other then he is only making this decision based on money and that alone. They not happy. haha and nothing has actually even happened. May just fizzle out."
that's right, talking about you centipede2

1eyedog
10-11-2020, 08:57 PM

Preuss.
Cox.
Ceglar.
Hickey.
Vardy.
McInerney

Hickey and Vardy both on 700k or near to it? Ok.

Mofra
11-11-2020, 08:57 AM

Preuss.
Cox.
Ceglar.
Hickey.
Vardy.
McInerney
$650-700k though?
Lycett is (widely reported) on a $700k x 4 but he is a first ruck and was a FA so attracted a premium.
Cox rubbished the supposed $550k he's on, Draper is a first ruck on $600k x 4, Vardy would be close to base.

Ladhams might be only a little behind Lycett and Preuss is probably on healthy coin. I normally agree with alo of your posts but this one I just don't see.
McInerny might be there but he's been the no 1 ruck this year anyway.

hujsh
11-11-2020, 09:37 AM
ARE TWO FIRST-ROUND PICKS FOR DUNKLEY GREEDY?

What Josh Dunkley is worth in a trade is polarising opinions.
As Essendon tries to lure the Western Bulldogs midfielder away from Whitten Oval, former Bombers' great Matthew Lloyd had his say on Trade Radio this morning.
Lloyd said he was "surprised" the Bulldogs had asked for two first round picks.

"It shouldn't be anything more than one first-round pick from Essendon," Lloyd said.
Kane Cornes agreed.
AFL.com.au's Mitch Cleary threw up the Bulldogs' side though.
"He's a contracted Dogs player, the Bombers need to make the running on this one," Cleary said.
"Pure market value), pick six is probably overs for josh Dunkley, but given he's contracted at the Western Bulldogs, the Bombers need to pay well overs and to get him out.
"They're going to need to give up one of those (high) picks and something else, maybe a later first round pick or something in the second round.
"The Dogs … need to be wowed off their feet."

At least one of them has their head on straight. Why would we accept market value when we don't want to lose him, he has a two year contract and they're offering him above market value contracts?

bornadog
11-11-2020, 09:46 AM
At least one of them has their head on straight. Why would we accept market value when we don't want to lose him, he has a two year contract and they're offering him above market value contracts?

I have never liked Lloyd, he is so biased.

westbulldog
11-11-2020, 09:54 AM
Now that we have Martin, Dunkley's excuses for leaving are further limited, clearly it is just for the $ and always was.
If we get Treloar on a deal that suits us, Dunkley can join the rabble. He should join the rabble anyway because his lack of loyalty to a club that gave him a premiership will greatly diminish his image at the Dogs.

Axe Man
11-11-2020, 09:55 AM
I have never liked Lloyd, he is so biased.

I have to give him some credit for being consistently the most vocal critic of Essendon in the media though.

Happy Days
11-11-2020, 10:07 AM
Wowed off my feet is not 6 and a late first rounder.

GVGjr
11-11-2020, 10:13 AM
If Dunkley was coming out of contract he would be worth a first round pick in a genuine trade. Given he has two years to run, he's worth a first and second rounder at the very least.

bornadog
11-11-2020, 10:14 AM
I have to give him some credit for being consistently the most vocal critic of Essendon in the media though.

He should stop talking about Essendon and how to make them better.

bornadog
11-11-2020, 10:16 AM
If Dunkley was coming out of contract he would be worth a first round pick in a genuine trade. Given he has two years to run, he's worth a first and second rounder at the very least.

This is what Essendon currently hold

6, 7, 48, 67, 73, 78, 85

bulldogsthru&thru
11-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Well Lloyd, if you aren't prepared to pay up then don't go around trying to poach contracted players. The sense of entitlement of that club astounds.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-11-2020, 10:19 AM

6, 7, 48, 67, 73, 78, 85

I mean, we don't even want picks unless we can offload them for players. If you come after a contracted player you need to be prepared to give up a lot. The arrogance of that place is off the charts. Lloyd also said the bombers won't be trading two picks as they would prefer not to give up the next Rozee and Bailey Smith. Good. Draft then you idiots and don't go after contracted players.

As you can see I'm at the end of my tether with that club and it's media representatives. How there was a way to detest that club even more, well Josh you have done it.

soupman
11-11-2020, 10:30 AM
Lloyd also said the bombers won't be trading two picks as they would prefer not to give up the next Rozee and Baily Smith.

Hahahaha thats a funny way to spell Darcy Parish and Aaron Francis. I'm completely fine with Essendon backing themselves in at the draft table, can't wit for them to fist pump getting a fringe small forward at pick 50 again.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-11-2020, 10:31 AM
So apparently Carlton have pulled out of the Saad deal. We must do the same. I'd advise GWS to follow suit as well.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-11-2020, 10:32 AM
Hahahaha thats a funny way to spell Darcy Parish and Aaron Francis. I'm completely fine with Essendon backing themselves in at the draft table, can't wit for them to fist pump getting a fringe small forward at pick 50 again.

Hahaha yes you're absolutely right. They couldn't draft well enough with a full year of watching players. Imagine what they'd do after this year having not watched a game.

SquirrelGrip
11-11-2020, 10:33 AM

6, 7, 48, 67, 73, 78, 85

I look at this and given where the Bombers are (and that they'll probably be getting pick 8), they are nuts not to do what Port Adelaide do and get three top young players for the future. When you have the opportunity to get those low picks, it's crucial you take them - think Macrae, Bontempelli and even Stringer at the time set us up for the tilt.

Topdog
11-11-2020, 10:34 AM
I mean, we don't even want picks unless we can offload them for players. If you come after a contracted player you need to be prepared to give up a lot. The arrogance of that place is off the charts. Lloyd also said the bombers won't be trading two picks as they would prefer not to give up the next Rozee and Baily Smith. Good. Draft then you idiots and don't go after contracted players.

As you can see I'm at the end of my tether with that club and it's media representatives. How there was a way to detest that club even more, well Josh you have done it.

Spot on. We just need to hold them to the deal they did for Shiel. 2 1st rounders is the minimum.

Vred
11-11-2020, 10:51 AM
So apparently Carlton have pulled out of the Saad deal. We must do the same. I'd advise GWS to follow suit as well.

Was just coming here to report this as well. Carlton walking away from Saad basically leaves Essendon with literally *nothing* they can give us for Dunkley, considering their trading first/future first situation at the moment.

Doc26
11-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Was just coming here to report this as well. Carlton walking away from Saad basically leaves Essendon with literally *nothing* they can give us for Dunkley, considering their trading first/future first situation at the moment.

Maybe we can bring Saad into the conversation for Dunkley. Say pick 6 and Saad as a starting point for conversation??

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Maybe we can bring Saad into the conversation for Dunkley. Say pick 6 and Saad as a starting point for conversation??

I like Saad and ordinarily I'd be all over it, but we need another HBFer like we need another Adrian Dodoro.

bornadog
11-11-2020, 10:58 AM

Do we need a Saad?

Essendon supporters turning on Dodo, they are not happy with him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-11-2020, 11:00 AM
If Essendon can't get Saad done, then Dunkley better put his big boy pants on and get ready for work at the Whitten Oval in a couple of weeks when pre-season commences.

Doc26
11-11-2020, 11:03 AM
I like Saad and ordinarily I'd be all over it, but we need another HBFer like we need another Adrian Dodoro.

Do we need a Saad?

Essendon supporters turning on Dodo, they are not happy with him.

Possibly not but for mine sits similar to Treloar, that is, do we really need another midfielder. Both Saad and Treloar would add line breaking pace, but take your point that another HBFer is not a need. It's how we can shuffle our line-up to maximise both.

The other 'midfielder' of ours that only adds to the complexity, that has gone missing in conversation is Toby. Prior to going down with his knee he really started to add something in-tight and around the stoppages.

bornadog
11-11-2020, 11:04 AM
Possibly not but for mine sits similar to Treloar, that is, do we really need another midfielder. Both Saad and Treloar would add line breaking pace, but take your point that another HBFer is not a need. It's how we can shuffle our line-up to maximise both.

The other 'midfielder' of ours that only adds to the complexity, that has gone missing in conversation is Toby. Prior to going down with his knee he really started to add something in-tight and around the stoppages.

I have said this for awhile, we do need another outside pacy mid. Too many of our guys are similar.

Happy Days
11-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Saad is not worth a first round pick, and definitely not worth 5 years at $700k (or even half of either). Salute to Carlton for finally waking up from their fever dream this morning.

comrade
11-11-2020, 11:07 AM
Carlton should go after Treloar.

Vred
11-11-2020, 11:09 AM

Not a chance, Saad brings us nothing, is a club hopper, and we are stacked for his position.

GVGjr
11-11-2020, 11:11 AM
Not a chance, Saad brings us nothing, is a club hopper, and we are stacked for his position.

Spot on, he's a good player but he doesn't help us where we need it

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Spot on, he's a good player but he doesn't help us where we need it

Does this development actually give us some room to speak with Adelaide about Caldwell? 2 days to go and Essendon don't yet have an offer in sight for securing Caldwell. Given we're already investigating pick swaps with them.. is there anything else we could do that would see Caldwell involved?
I would really love to see Essendon just get smashed because of Dodoro's intransigence.

bornadog
11-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Saad deal done