PDA

View Full Version : Trade Dunkley

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

jeemak
09-08-2020, 01:13 AM
I hate it as a concept because he's a premiership hero but we need to change up our mix in the midfield, as having three see ball get ball midfielders who are all of similar pace and size is leading to us being exposed. Aside from Smith there's a distinct lack of zip in the midfield mix and that needs to change.

To me Jacko and Bont are untouchable, so that unfortunately leaves us with one major card to play to change things up and that's putting Dunkley on the market and seeing whether we can bring in a quick established midfielder (not a world beater, but with defencive cred) and a reasonably high draft pick (early to mid second) to secure another.

The reason that this is necessary to me is that we don't have anyone good enough to replace him in the side and nobody coming through who can materially change the way our midfield operates due to its sameness in personnel.

What does everyone think? What is he worth to us?

Sedat
09-08-2020, 01:18 AM
Dunks is a keeper for mine. His season has been ravaged by injury and he was awesome as a power inside mid beast last year. I still see improvement in Dunks.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 01:22 AM
Dunks is a keeper for mine. His season has been ravaged by injury and he was awesome as a power inside mid beast last year. I still see improvement in Dunks.

So do I. However, I don't see necessarily the change we need in the midfield with all of him, Bont and Jacko in there.

And he has massive trade value that can help us change direction.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-08-2020, 01:30 AM
Libba doesn't have long left IMO and Dunks is a beast, made for finals. I'd be keeping him and looking at moving on other pieces like Lipinski, even if they obviously won't command the same value that Dunks would.

I don't think we need a superstar outside mid anyway, we just need something different. Hunter helps but so too does Vandameer when he goes onto a wing.

soupman
09-08-2020, 01:31 AM
I don't mind the thinking, but have some concerns more from a personal pov.

A) Dunkley seems very happy at the dogs. He seems popular and respected. I think pushing him out could really set up and us vs them mentality with the playing group vs the club.

B) he is everything you could hope for off field. Super pro, good guy, presents well, he is as wholesome a figurehead as you can get.

C) he and Bont are close. Like probably best friends at the club close (this is not confirmed, but i certainly what i believe to be the case). I really don't think preaching loyalty to Bont while pushing his best mate out works. Especially when Bont is the captain, so you are kind of selling a vision of him representing the club to him. So if the club kicks Dunkley out for a first rounder, to him its kind of like saying Bont is happy to kick Dunkley out for a first rounder. I just don't think that flies, and is more likely to blow up in our faces.

GVGjr
09-08-2020, 01:32 AM
We have to give someone good to get someone or something good but as Sedat says I think he's a keeper
I'm not against trading most players Jeemak but it would need to be for someone pretty special for Dunks given he is also in the leadership group

We do need to someone with pace and kicking depth in our midfield though

jeemak
09-08-2020, 01:34 AM
Libba doesn't have long left IMO and Dunks is a beast, made for finals. I'd be keeping him and looking at moving on other pieces like Lipinski, even if they obviously won't command the same value that Dunks would.

I don't think we need a superstar outside mid anyway, we just need something different. Hunter helps but so too does Vandameer when he goes onto a wing.

You raise a good point in some ways, though I'm not sure Lipinski's value is substantial enough for us to enact the step change we need in the midfield, and its mindset/ ability.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-08-2020, 01:35 AM
Man that's a doozy.
But the way you frame it is not to be dismissed.
He does have currency, and would be a great addition to another side that needs a hard inside edge.

However...

Yep we clearly have a one-paced aspect to our midfield. But for me, Lipinski is the weaker link.
He does not have the trade value of Dunks...but what we get for a trade isn't necessarily the main consideration.

I can't for the life of me understand why McLean cannot be a more viable midfielder than he has shown thus far.
He to me, should be our Lachie Neale.
However, it is true that whatever his potential, McLean has not shown he can be trusted as a mid right now, so given we need to retool an aspect of our midfield, we can't trust he will fulfill that promise.

For me, Bont, Macrae, Dunkley are a good crew, and they all have at least one attribute that is ELITE. Bailey Smith will be part of that, and provides good zip. Lipinski - I like the lad, but I'm not sure he has a standout attribute, whilst also having a couple of really poor rated attributes- in pace and defensive pressure.

I would advocate holding onto Dunks.....unless we think West is likely to develop similarly to his old man in that dominant inside role.

Lipinski is the one I'd be thinking to move on to change the look of our midfield.

Vred
09-08-2020, 01:37 AM
That would be a no from me,

jeemak
09-08-2020, 01:37 AM
I don't mind the thinking, but have some concerns more from a personal pov.

A) Dunkley seems very happy at the dogs. He seems popular and respected. I think pushing him out could really set up and us vs them mentality with the playing group vs the club.

B) he is everything you could hope for off field. Super pro, good guy, presents well, he is as wholesome a figurehead as you can get.

C) he and Bont are close. Like probably best friends at the club close (this is not confirmed, but i certainly what i believe to be the case). I really don't think preaching loyalty to Bont while pushing his best mate out works. Especially when Bont is the captain, so you are kind of selling a vision of him representing the club to him. So if the club kicks Dunkley out for a first rounder, to him its kind of like saying Bont is happy to kick Dunkley out for a first rounder. I just don't think that flies, and is more likely to blow up in our faces.

All really good points, but they can be countered by needing to make a tough call for the greater good.

I'm also not suggesting trading him for a first rounder, I'm suggesting trading him for another player that changes our midfield mix and a second rounder which I think is reasonable in terms of value, and that second rounder to be on traded to another club for a player who can also help us change our midfield mix a bit.

It's a very tough conversation to have as supporters but I think it has some merit.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 01:40 AM
On the Lipinski front, yes he is slow but he's no slower than Dunkley himself or Jacko, but what he does have is reliable kicking in space and good finishing credentials.

Again, it's a very very tough call. I guess I'm wondering how we can materially change things and in thinking about it this is the only way that springs to mind.

Sedat
09-08-2020, 01:59 AM

Agree 100% on the bolded bit. We do need some personnel changes to the list but I am far more concerned about the game plan - that is the 'something different' we should give focus to. For that we urgently need fresh voices in the coaches group from different clubs and different environments. We needed this at the start of 2018 truth be told.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 02:01 AM
Agree 100% on the bolded bit. We do need some personnel changes to the list but I am far more concerned about the game plan - that is the 'something different' we should give focus to. For that we urgently need fresh voices in the coaches group from different clubs and different environments. We needed this at the start of 2018 truth be told.

Definitely agree we need a mix change in coaching. That's extremely clear.

I'm just worried about our mix of cattle, and how we change it.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-08-2020, 02:03 AM
On the Lipinski front, yes he is slow but he's no slower than Dunkley himself or Jacko, but what he does have is reliable kicking in space and good finishing credentials.

Again, it's a very very tough call. I guess I'm wondering how we can materially change things and in thinking about it this is the only way that springs to mind.

I think these are all conversations we need to have because it's clear our mix is not right, particularly v the best sides who consistently hurt us on the spread away from stoppage.

Hard calls will need to be made, be it in a list/trade capacity or selection. I just think Libba (love him) and Lipinski are most vulnerable for varying reasons (Libbas knee history has hurt us and him).

Who's potentially available from opposition clubs?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-08-2020, 02:03 AM
We have to give someone good to get someone or something good but as Sedat says I think he's a keeper
I'm not against trading most players Jeemak but it would need to be for someone pretty special for Dunks given he is also in the leadership group

We do need to someone with pace and kicking depth in our midfield though

We need another midfielder who has the kicking precision of Caleb Daniel.
In fact, is Caleb's physical stature a problem for him playing minutes in the midfield?

jeemak
09-08-2020, 02:09 AM
I think these are all conversations we need to have because it's clear our mix is not right, particularly v the best sides who consistently hurt us on the spread away from stoppage.

Hard calls will need to be made, be it in a list/trade capacity or selection. I just think Libba (love him) and Lipinski are most vulnerable for varying reasons (Libbas knee history has hurt us and him).

Who's potentially available from opposition clubs?

Baaaaahahaha, if you think I've thought that far ahead TBB you're giving me way to much credit! :)

In honesty, that was the major thing almost stopping me from posting this in the first place.

I immediately think about GWS and gold coast, and even Brisbane when thinking about this. None of them have anyone of Dunkley's stature and have all been exposed over time inside against the best sides.

Additionally, if we don't make a change now we're even more exposed if Libba does fall over.

Sedat
09-08-2020, 02:12 AM
We don't need to trade Dunks to get serious quality. We just have to convince Zac Williams to come to the kennel as a free agent. He is exactly the type of player we need to compliment what we already have.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 02:19 AM
We don't need to trade Dunks to get serious quality. We just have to convince Zac Williams to come to the kennel as a free agent. He is exactly the type of player we need to compliment what we already have.

Good idea.

I'd love him at the club but I wouldn't be putting all eggs in the basket to see it happening.

Sedat
09-08-2020, 02:23 AM
Good idea.

I'd love him at the club but I wouldn't be putting all eggs in the basket to see it happening.
I'd be going all chips in. We just need to cut deeper from the list than we have done previously, I reckon we have the cap space to make it happen. GWS will have to pay top dollar to hold onto Jeremy Cameron at the end of this year - their salary cap is still bursting at the seams.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 02:27 AM
I'd be going all chips in. We just need to cut deeper from the list than we have done previously, I reckon we have the cap space to make it happen. GWS will have to pay top dollar to hold onto Jeremy Cameron at the end of this year - their salary cap is still bursting at the seams.

We need to sign Bont long term and then focus on Smith.

Who knows, maybe Jacko leaves for a massive massive deal elsewhere. I guess we'll never know whether this is possible because nobody has gone to the effort of making a contract thread sticky on this site so it's hard to know who's out of contract and who isn't.

craigsahibee
09-08-2020, 03:42 AM
It all comes down to what is available and who's in the market for a Dunks type player.

Libba's got 2 - 3 years left in him. Dunks can play Libba's role but who have we got coming through? Mostly outside types however I'm yet to see what Garcia is like. Stick Rhylee West in Lloyd's place and we are automatically a better team.

FrediKanoute
09-08-2020, 06:45 AM
Do we really think Dunks will have top class currency? Yes he is a powerful inside mid, but he is a not a great kick and a bit one paced. I think we would get a 2nd rounder at best.

re changing the midfield, we do need more pace in there, but guys like that are rare and not easy to pry away from opposition teams.

FrediKanoute
09-08-2020, 06:46 AM
It all comes down to what is available and who's in the market for a Dunks type player.

Libba's got 2 - 3 years left in him. Dunks can play Libba's role but who have we got coming through? Mostly outside types however I'm yet to see what Garcia is like. Stick Rhylee West in Lloyd's place and we are automatically a better team.

I actually agree with this. West is one who really impressed me with the games he played this season.

SonofScray
09-08-2020, 08:40 AM
Not for mine. We've moved on enough talent in recent history already & with the lost profile age wise, we probably need to keep players like him around to actually end up good quality, experienced, wise old heads.

It's a lever to pull, no doubt. But I'm not sure. He is very capable. Would add more to the opposition than what we get in return.

Perhaps we tweak how the game plan utilises the talent we have.

Happy Days
09-08-2020, 09:45 AM
Don’t ever trade players that are good, happy and don’t want to leave.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-08-2020, 09:54 AM
What we need to do this offseason is something similar to what the saints did last year. Bring in some experience and then go after even fringe players at other clubs that fill a position of need. If we have to give up some talent then so be it. This list has stagnated and needs a bit of a spring clean. Target a small-pressure forward, a gorilla defender and someone with some pace. Then recruit some sort of experience.

comrade
09-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Don’t ever trade players that are good, happy and don’t want to leave.

Yeah, trading Dunkley ain't it chief. Especially when he's best mates with our captain.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 11:07 AM

I know I am dreaming, but I would love to get Kelly. He would ideally compliment Bont and Macrae.

Zac would be more gettable and also fit in, but he will need big dollars as well.

Happy Days
09-08-2020, 11:10 AM
I’m basing this on absolutely nothing but I’m getting the vibe that a few guys from GWS are really gettable. The contract freeze is over (I think based on that Charlie Cameron extension) but they have a ton of talent out of contract with no news on any re-ups.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 11:13 AM
I’m basing this on absolutely nothing but I’m getting the vibe that a few guys from GWS are really gettable. The contract freeze is over (I think based on that Charlie Cameron extension) but they have a ton of talent out of contract with no news on any re-ups.

Who else is there that can't get a game, but is worth chasing?

Happy Days
09-08-2020, 11:27 AM
Who else is there that can't get a game, but is worth chasing?

They're sort of rotating their top picks from the last few years through the bottom couple of spots in their side, which you have to think would not make those picks happy. Caldwell and Hately in particular have looked good when they've gotten picked but haven't really gotten a fair shake. Hill is coming out of contract too but has looked a mile off it in his games this year.

Assuming we can't get Williams because why on earth would he want to play for us I'd ask about Caldwell.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 12:22 PM
Yeah, trading Dunkley ain't it chief. Especially when he's best mates with our captain.

Chief...…..righteo.

So Dunkley's untouchable because he's the captain and best player's best mate. That's OK, if that's the case I'd be really interested to hear what talent we can lever to change the mix because what I have seen since the GWS game is a midfield that needs more pace and accountability and outside of those already playing in the midfield we have little leverage to address that quickly.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 12:23 PM
They're sort of rotating their top picks from the last few years through the bottom couple of spots in their side, which you have to think would not make those picks happy. Caldwell and Hately in particular have looked good when they've gotten picked but haven't really gotten a fair shake. Hill is coming out of contract too but has looked a mile off it in his games this year.

Assuming we can't get Williams because why on earth would he want to play for us I'd ask about Caldwell.

From what I've read their top players command a huge slice of the cap and the rest get peanuts so paying talented mid tier players what they're actually worth might be enough to land one or two of them.

DOG GOD
09-08-2020, 12:26 PM
I agree we need a massive overhaul of mids. What that entails I’m not sure, but I do know we have a one paced, poor skills midfield group that is in desperate need of pace and elite kicking skills. A defensive mid wouldn’t go astray either.

As much as Ryder, Hill, Butler and Howard have helped the saints, it’s the emergence of Clark and Steele (in particular) that is reaping their rewards.

azabob
09-08-2020, 12:27 PM
How much of an upgrade is Williams on JJ?

Is he able to play 100% midfield?

bornadog
09-08-2020, 12:30 PM
Chief...…..righteo.

So Dunkley's untouchable because he's the captain and best player's best mate. That's OK, if that's the case I'd be really interested to hear what talent we can lever to change the mix because what I have seen since the GWS game is a midfield that needs more pace and accountability and outside of those already playing in the midfield we have little leverage to address that quickly.

Totally agree with you Jeemak, the mids are very much the same with a lack of pace and play similar roles.

I really think we need a pacy outside mid, but at the same time I would keep Dunks as we need backup or an alternative to Libba.

One gets injured then we are in trouble. But, you have to give up something good to get back something. Our first round draft pick will go to drafting, so that is gone, so who else do we have to trade? A tough one, as not many have currency that anyone wants to let go.

If you said Dunks for Kelly/Williams - would many do that? I would certainly consider it.

comrade
09-08-2020, 12:32 PM
Chief...…..righteo.

Hunter would be the one I'd look to move on. Richards and Lipinski are two that I don't think will ever overcome their deficiencies but are both young enough to potentially secure us a decent return.

Beyond that, we have very little trade capital which probably explains why we're a middle of the road team.

That ain't it chief is a pretty widely known internet meme, btw

CarnTheScray
09-08-2020, 12:39 PM
Trade Lipinski. Makes awful decisions and waits for the cheap possession. Only thing he offers is polish around goal but he only kicks a goal every few weeks anyway.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Trade Lipinski. Makes awful decisions and waits for the cheap possession. Only thing he offers is polish around goal but he only kicks a goal every few weeks anyway.

Would anyone want him?

jeemak
09-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Hunter would be the one I'd look to move on. Richards and Lipinski are two that I don't think will ever overcome their deficiencies but are both young enough to potentially secure us a decent return.

Beyond that, we have very little trade capital which probably explains why we're a middle of the road team.

That ain't it chief is a pretty widely known internet meme, btw

I agree Hunter would have currency, though not sure how it looks from a player support and welfare standpoint putting him on the table when he's struggling with personal issues, let alone being the right thing to do. Not sure whether that currency could be leveraged at the moment or whether a season of normality for him would be required.

Letting go of Richards compounds our issues around pace, if he just gets his act together with his kicking he could be an extremely valuable asset to us.

comrade
09-08-2020, 12:55 PM
I agree Hunter would have currency, though not sure how it looks from a player support and welfare standpoint putting him on the table when he's struggling with personal issues, let alone being the right thing to do. Not sure whether that currency could be leveraged at the moment or whether a season of normality for him would be required.

Letting go of Richards compounds our issues around pace, if he just gets his act together with his kicking he could be an extremely valuable asset to us.

Maybe a change of environment is exactly what Hunter needs to overcome his issues and reinvigorate his love of the game?

Richards is past the 50 game mark, we know what we're getting with him. There are hundreds of ex-AFL players who had pace but couldn't hit the side of a barn door, Ed is just another one to add to the list.

CarnTheScray
09-08-2020, 12:55 PM
Would anyone want him?
Probably not, he's that bad. Send him off to a bottom 4 club or delist.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 01:02 PM

The best players at the club:

Bont, Macrae, Naughton, Hunter - untouchable.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 01:09 PM
Maybe a change of environment is exactly what Hunter needs to overcome his issues and reinvigorate his love of the game?

Richards is past the 50 game mark, we know what we're getting with him. There are hundreds of ex-AFL players who had pace but couldn't hit the side of a barn door, Ed is just another one to add to the list.

Possibly, if he was in initiate the conversation then that could work.

I understand what you're saying about Richards, but think with a bit of thinking he could overcome his deficiencies and while he's played fifty games he's still only 21 so there's hope.

comrade
09-08-2020, 01:10 PM
The best players at the club:

Bont, Macrae, Naughton, Hunter - untouchable.

So you'd prefer us to give up Bailey Smith or Tim English before Hunter?

Jeanette54
09-08-2020, 01:10 PM
I truly hate trade talk, but for me trading Dunks is a non negotiable NO !

It might be old fashioned, but I believe in loyalty to the quality clubmen that we have. That's why I really love Wally & Libba, they are heart and soul players. Dunks is likewise.

And Dunks, Macrae and Bont are our A-listers, IMHO our only three A-listers. I cannot believe you could/would find anyone better for what he delivers (fully fit) in the comp.

comrade
09-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Possibly, if he was in initiate the conversation then that could work.

I understand what you're saying about Richards, but think with a bit of thinking he could overcome his deficiencies and while he's played fifty games he's still only 21 so there's hope.

Yeah, it's all dependent on the player being happy to leave.

And on that, I can't foresee any possibility where Dunkley would be putting his hand up to be traded.

GVGjr
09-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Good question, but I don't know the answer to it as I haven't watched Williams closely enough

bornadog
09-08-2020, 01:13 PM

Did I say that?

CarnTheScray
09-08-2020, 01:13 PM
I would not dare give up Smith. English is big yes to give up over Hunter.

comrade
09-08-2020, 01:18 PM
Did I say that?

You said Hunter is untouchable, but didn't name Smith or English so yeah, you implied it.

Sedat
09-08-2020, 01:24 PM

Yes he is. He has elite foot skills, something that JJ can be hit and miss on. Williams is a tough bugger as well.

As for his midfield adaptability, he did it on the big stage of last year's PF against Collingwood. It was a brilliant, destructive performance against a top shelf opposition midfield.

Williams is a jet.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 01:26 PM
Yes he is. He has elite foot skills, something that JJ can be hit and miss on. Williams is a tough bugger as well.

As for his midfield adaptability, he did it on the big stage of last year's PF against Collingwood. It was a brilliant, destructive performance against a top shelf opposition midfield.

Williams is a jet.

Agree, but how would we get him?

GVGjr
09-08-2020, 01:28 PM

Williams is a jet.

I haven't watched him that closely but is there a question mark on his durability?

Sedat
09-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Agree, but how would we get him?
He's a restricted free agent this year and has put all contract negotiations on hold. It's the worst kept secret that he's highly unlikely to stay with GWS because they don't have the cap space to reward him commensurate with his real worth, and they have Jeremy Cameron higher in the re-signing pecking order this year. They have paid through the nose to re-sign Kelly, Whitfield and Coniglio in the last couple of years, so their salary cap is precarious at best.

Williams is very gettable this year.

Sedat
09-08-2020, 01:33 PM
I haven't watched him that closely but is there a question mark on his durability?
Good question. He has missed a few games in the past but has had more continuity in the latter years of his career. I don't think he has chronic issues but I stand to be corrected by those in the know.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 01:37 PM
You said Hunter is untouchable, but didn't name Smith or English so yeah, you implied it.

There are a few players I wouldn't trade, so sorry you are incorrect in what you thought I said

GVGjr
09-08-2020, 01:38 PM
Good question. He has missed a few games in the past but has had more continuity in the latter years of his career. I don't think he has chronic issues but I stand to be corrected by those in the know.

Just has a look, he missed most of 2018 and some games this year. I'll have a look and see if I can work out the type of injuries he's had

bornadog
09-08-2020, 01:38 PM
He's a restricted free agent this year and has put all contract negotiations on hold. It's the worst kept secret that he's highly unlikely to stay with GWS because they don't have the cap space to reward him commensurate with his real worth, and they have Jeremy Cameron higher in the re-signing pecking order this year. They have paid through the nose to re-sign Kelly, Whitfield and Coniglio in the last couple of years, so their salary cap is precarious at best.

Williams is very gettable this year.

Cheers, I have forgotten about the Restricted FA.

Lets have a crack

chef
09-08-2020, 01:42 PM
No deal for mine. When he peaks he'll be better than Macrae and Bont isnt going to have a long career imo(his hip looks like shortening his career).

Are we forgetting how good he is when fit and firing?

GVGjr
09-08-2020, 01:46 PM

For what it's worth he struggled before the season started with an Achilles injury missing round 1 then missed 4 weeks with a hamstring injury

comrade
09-08-2020, 01:58 PM
There are a few players I wouldn't trade, so sorry you are incorrect in what you thought I said

No need to apologise, you only mentioned 4 players as being untouchable, and none of them were English or Bailey Smith.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Probably not, he's that bad. Send him off to a bottom 4 club or delist.

I think that’s incredibly harsh on Patrick. He’s had a rough few games but he certainly has value. He’s actually a smooth mover and usually good by foot. A lot of his errors right now look to be from fatigue. We need to remember he’s still inexperienced. Je will never be better than a bottom 22 player but delisting is way off the mark. My frustration with him, like English and many others on our list are their complete lack of intensity. We all cried out for it after round 2 and we responded for a few weeks but we’ve gone back into our shells a bit and look completely void of confidence. Patrick represents all of this the most, along with English. Funnily enough these two come across the most as "nice guys" who we seem intent on recruiting exclusively. Unfortunately footy is not an office job and sometimes you need total pricks to get you over the line. We got rid of all those guys after 2017 thinking they were the issue. Unfortunately they weren’t.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 02:05 PM
No need to apologise, you only mentioned 4 players as being untouchable, and none of them were English or Bailey Smith.

No, I was pointing out the 4 players that are the best on our list, and they would be untouchable.

I said nothing about other players on whether they are touchable or not. That is a whole different debate.

soupman
09-08-2020, 03:00 PM
It's the classic dilemma of you have to give up something to get something, and our conundrum is that the guys we want to give up aren't worth anything, and the guys that are worth lots we don't want to give up.

For mine there is no point even bringing up the likes of Lipinski, McLean, Schache, Lewis Young as anything other than sweeteners. At absolute best you are getting a late pick in the 20s for any of them, but more likely a third rounder. So if you are gonna trade them it isn't because of what they'll get you, it's more about getting something back for a player you don't rate. Now i think there is some merit in trading those guys, but it's more as a list refresh idea or for a similarly fringe guy from another club than because they have any sort of currency worth cashing in on.

So that leaves you with the guys that are genuinely worth something, and from there you need to look at which of those guys are valued higher on the open market than to you, both in terms of contribution currently and what it would cost to replace them. You also need to look at what impact does them leaving the club have on the club.

On top of all that you have to consider that trading players out is a losing mans game.

Player for player trades are virtually non existent, there's about 2 a year. If we traded Dunkley for another player it would be very unlikely that it's for a player of similar value, it'd be for a player and a pick, or just picks. Picks are the most overrated thing in the league, in that people treat them like they are a guarantee of a good player. If we traded Dunkley, and his value is probably an early teens pick, for say pick 11, the odds of that player being even as good as Dunkley are not great, let alone better. Plus you have to sit on that players development for a few years. Port's success (and basically the 2018 drafts instant success as a group) I think warps the perception that picks are sure fire things. They are not.

I do think we will have enough issues keeping the main guys (Macrae, Bont, English, Smith and Naughton) to need to show them we are happy to push guys they respect and like out for their trade value, we need to be preaching to these guys that they are part of the team and that sticking together is super important. We can't do that and push someone like Dunkley out at the same time. I think naturally down the track there will be guys that can't get paid as much as they would like, or are starved of opportunity, and request trades as a result, that's where we try to maximise their trade value. Dunkley may very well find himself in that position down the track, and he is not someone I would be looking to overpay to keep, but I wouldn't be pushing him out prior to that scenario unfolding.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 04:50 PM
Good post Soup.

It's complex. My original thinking was that we would try and trade for a couple of players or a player and a pick, which again, is a speculative play in itself.

I just don't see how we shake things up without doing something pretty drastic.

Remi Moses
09-08-2020, 05:52 PM
No from me
Libba’s durability and age are an issue
Dunkley’s not being traded
Zac Williams is almost there most important player

kruder
09-08-2020, 06:20 PM
I more interested in how we can get the group accountable again, they clearly haven't recovered from the final last year.

Go back and look at the tape, our players avoid contact at any cost. They ball watched all night stood back and allowed the lions to walk through and defence with limited pressure when the heat came on.

Our players were more interested in how Charlie Cameron was after the game then being disappointed with the loss.

We need Liam Picken and Matty Boyd(off HB) than any fleet footed midfielder atm. We need an example set, I love the Bont but he is really struggling atm, we need him now more than ever or its just going to be another year lost.

1eyedog
09-08-2020, 07:41 PM
We don't need to trade Dunkley, why would we? We should be looking to create a few list spots and go after a player or two to address our current issues. I'd certainly be looking at Zac Williams and would go hard he'd address some of our movement issues.

I'd be devastated if Bevo thinks the current list is a future Premiership list, he knows we have holes, it's why we went after Martin (an acknowledgement that our forward line is unbalanced) and why we were reportedly into I.Smith because we were aware that we lacked outside run.

The expectations on Lippa and Richards are unreasonable. They are cream players and young. We're just simply not in a position to maximise their skill sets. They need to stay and grow with the group. They've shown good signs.

I would'nt trade anyone unless they want to go. I'm not sure what reduced lists look like but I'd cut deep into the bottom six players on our list and go after two restricted free agents or out of contract player and again look to address our small forward and outside run issues first and foremost. If we are constrained by our list size then we may need to make a hard decision and cut deeper or trade our fringes. This does not include Dunkley.

Another year with this core group players and perhaps two inclusions that address our needs and we'll be getting results.

We've had very good patches of football this season most of what we need is there we just need to fill two or three on-field holes and get some continuity as a group.

jeemak
09-08-2020, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the discussion all.

bornadog
09-08-2020, 11:21 PM
We don't need to trade Dunkley, why would we? We should be looking to create a few list spots and go after a player or two to address our current issues. I'd certainly be looking at Zac Williams and would go hard he'd address some of our movement issues.

I'd be devastated if Bevo thinks the current list is a future Premiership list, he knows we have holes, it's why we went after Martin (an acknowledgement that our forward line is unbalanced) and why we were reportedly into I.Smith because we were aware that we lacked outside run.

The expectations on Lippa and Richards are unreasonable. They are cream players and young. We're just simply not in a position to maximise their skill sets. They need to stay and grow with the group. They've shown good signs.

I would'nt trade anyone unless they want to go. I'm not sure what reduced lists look like but I'd cut deep into the bottom six players on our list and go after two restricted free agents or out of contract player and again look to address our small forward and outside run issues first and foremost. If we are constrained by our list size then we may need to make a hard decision and cut deeper or trade our fringes. This does not include Dunkley.

Another year with this core group players and perhaps two inclusions that address our needs and we'll be getting results.

We've had very good patches of football this season most of what we need is there we just need to fill two or three on-field holes and get some continuity as a group.

Great post 1eye

Mofra
10-08-2020, 10:19 AM

Well said.

We do have holes on the list, and we've targetted guys to fill those holes (e.g. mature KPD and KPF last year, taking a small forward at the draft). The guys we've missed out on are positions of need for us too - Marton as creative class forward of the ball, Smith as a wingman opposite Hunter.

The nucleus of a "good" team is there, with holes exacerbated by Naughton and Hunter's absences. JUH helps enormously, ditto Raak (especially if he grows). I really think we need a genuine mature wingman, a guy in the 27-29 age range would be ideal. Reduced list sizes and having no picks this year will make it difficult to bring in mature talent though.

Topdog
10-08-2020, 11:04 AM
I think some are forgetting what Dunkley provides when fully fit. He had a poor game this weekend but when fit and firing he is fantastic.

We actually dont need to get rid of an inside mid, we just need to add more run.

Dunks can rest forward when needed and then swap out with Bont to continue with the inside dominance.

Bulldog Revolution
10-08-2020, 11:32 AM
Dunks turning into an A grader in 2019 corresponded with us turning into a contender

His size physicality, defensive efforts, and improved decision making and disposal were key

He's been off the boil physically in 2020 but I'd be banking on him to get himself up and firing again

Avoid the rush
10-08-2020, 11:44 AM
We need another midfielder who has the kicking precision of Caleb Daniel.
In fact, is Caleb's physical stature a problem for him playing minutes in the midfield?

It didn't seem to be a problem for Sam Mitchell (around 178cm). I think Caleb can play the same roll.

jeemak
12-08-2020, 01:17 AM
So to wrap up, everyone wants to trade Dunkley. Great!

So to really wrap up, this is what I've learned from the posts, and in honesty, the contributions have been really good.

1. Whoever is considered to be B to A+ talent is off limits for trade
2. Players who are delivering marginal results are OK to trade
3. We should target free agents/ players placing their clubs under contract pressure

I don't really want to trade Dunkley, I never did (I think he's extremely versatile and can play multiple positions). The purpose of this thread was to see how far Woofers were willing to go to make what some of us think are necessary changes to the list quickly, and demonstrate that it isn't easy which in honesty, most of us know anyway.

So in essence, we're not prepared to give anyone of value away to secure someone good, we think we should rely on FA and trading to bring in personnel (albeit we've been ordinary in this area), and I assume to supplement any gaps in that we will go to the draft.

Does that mean that we're expecting player development to carry us forward until we can either land quality via the above means or wait for drafted recruits to mature? If so, we'll be waiting a while and we need to suck it up.

Sedat
12-08-2020, 02:05 AM
I really think we need a genuine mature wingman, a guy in the 27-29 age range would be ideal.
Whilst he frustrates me with his often careless ball use, Ed Richards has the necessary work ethic and the right instincts to be a viable long-term two-way running wingman for us. He certainly gets back often to help out the defence when they are under siege, which cannot always be said of our midfield group as a whole. Having said that, he really does need to improve his hurt factor when transitioning from defence to attack.

Guys like Mitch Robinson and Sam Menegola prove that wingman can improve over time and become valuable and destructive players later in their careers. Richards has that improvement in him as well IMO, if he is prepared to work hard on his current deficiencies with ball in hand.

bornadog
12-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Does that mean that we're expecting player development to carry us forward until we can either land quality via the above means or wait for drafted recruits to mature? If so, we'll be waiting a while and we need to suck it up.

I think this is true, this is what we have done for a long time, plus bringing in a couple of mature players.

However, we should go hard at some free agents like Williams and see if we can land a gun.

Happy Days
12-08-2020, 10:39 AM
Whilst he frustrates me with his often careless ball use, Ed Richards has the necessary work ethic and the right instincts to be a viable long-term two-way running wingman for us. He certainly gets back often to help out the defence when they are under siege, which cannot always be said of our midfield group as a whole. Having said that, he really does need to improve his hurt factor when transitioning from defence to attack.

I'm not really worried about this. Although it's badly deserted him for now his first few games his hurt factor with the ball is one of the traits that was the most impressive about him. Plus when he's deep forward of the ball he has shown good finishing instincts (those two horrendous fumble/misses in that game that's escaping me notwithstanding) and a reliable set shot. His skills are there he just has to care a little more with the ball.

What I am concerned about is his ability to find the ball. Hunter's value is all derived from his ability to run to and find incredibly valuable positions to receive the ball and link up play. Ed is playing the same spot and frequently getting it less than 10 times a game. Reading the play without the ball is something of a natural instinct and I'm worried that he won't be able to develop it.

1eyedog
12-08-2020, 10:41 AM
I think this is true, this is what we have done for a long time, plus bringing in a couple of mature players.

However, we should go hard at some free agents like Williams and see if we can land a gun.

Agreed. I think this means we think our list is close. I'd love Williams but I also think Richards, Smith and Vander go a long way to addressing our lack of speed issues. If they can become the players we want them to be that area will be close to being addressed. We really need to sort out our forward line, it's like a plate of dropped lasagne.

azabob
12-08-2020, 11:24 AM
I'm not really worried about this. Although it's badly deserted him for now his first few games his hurt factor with the ball is one of the traits that was the most impressive about him. Plus when he's deep forward of the ball he has shown good finishing instincts (those two horrendous fumble/misses in that game that's escaping me notwithstanding) and a reliable set shot. His skills are there he just has to care a little more with the ball.

What I am concerned about is his ability to find the ball. Hunter's value is all derived from his ability to run to and find incredibly valuable positions to receive the ball and link up play. Ed is playing the same spot and frequently getting it less than 10 times a game. Reading the play without the ball is something of a natural instinct and I'm worried that he won't be able to develop it.

Interestingly the high paid wingman in the game is also not getting the footy.

Not sure what any of it means, just an observation.

Happy Days
12-08-2020, 11:31 AM
Interestingly the high paid wingman in the game is also not getting the footy.

Not sure what any of it means, just an observation.

Assume you mean Brad Hill? He's been low key terrible since he got to St Kilda, and it's kind of been lost in the Saints generally being pretty good. If they dish up a couple more games like their most recent one then it will be interesting to see if any heat gets put on him.

Smads57
12-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Great thread - am a Dunkley fan, so not not keen on him being put up as a trade option.

There has been some references to players we might like to target in this thread (and other threads) and am wondering if we chase Higgins (recent reports from SEN suggest he might want out if Norf are in a rebuilding mode).

He offers experience, outside run and some size.

Just thought I'd throw his name into the mix as someone who might be easier to get across the line (versus Willians from GWS).

Of course it would only be for a couple of years given his age, but it ensures we have the outside run and can still have Dunks developing in our midfield group.

azabob
12-08-2020, 07:09 PM
Assume you mean Brad Hill? He's been low key terrible since he got to St Kilda, and it's kind of been lost in the Saints generally being pretty good. If they dish up a couple more games like their most recent one then it will be interesting to see if any heat gets put on him.

Yes, I mean Brad Hill.

Issac Smith would've been a great get for us.

Grantysghost
12-08-2020, 07:14 PM
Great thread - am a Dunkley fan, so not not keen on him being put up as a trade option.

There has been some references to players we might like to target in this thread (and other threads) and am wondering if we chase Higgins (recent reports from SEN suggest he might want out if Norf are in a rebuilding mode).

Just thought I'd throw his name into the mix as someone who might be easier to get across the line (versus Willians from GWS).

Of course it would only be for a couple of years given his age, but it ensures we have the outside run and can still have Dunks developing in our midfield group.

The prodigal son returns? He's got the skill set we require, just his age for me. At 32 I think too big a risk and noticed hes had some leg issues lately but gee it's a good question to ask.

1eyedog
12-08-2020, 07:18 PM
The prodigal son returns? He's got the skill set we require, just his age for me. At 32 I think too big a risk and noticed hes had some leg issues lately but gee it's a good question to ask.

Didn't he go to Norf to win a flag?
Anyway, there is no way I'm giving Missy a chance of winning one in 2021.

On second thoughts Lin Jong could do with a rehab partner...

jeemak
12-08-2020, 07:20 PM

Are you tyring out jeemak jeemak in this thread Smads57?

I've always really rated what Higgins brings to the table, and possibly overlooked what he doesn't consistently. If he was turning thirty and not at his current age I'd be all for it.

Mofra
13-08-2020, 09:01 AM
Higgins is quality but slooooooow, and has he played wing in his life?
Hard pass from me.

Mantis
13-08-2020, 09:15 AM
Higgins is quality but slooooooow, and has he played wing in his life?
Hard pass from me.

Higgins has no defensive capabilities or desires and torches the ball way too often for my liking.

EasternWest
13-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Higgins has no defensive capabilities or desires and torches the ball way too often for my liking.

My reaction when anyone even considers Higgins.

https://i.postimg.cc/j5gg4fDR/Plough.png (https://postimages.org/)

chef
13-08-2020, 10:23 PM
Maybe it should have been Trade Hunter:(

jeemak
14-08-2020, 11:59 PM
So clearly Comrade has been in touch with his media acolytes and Lachie is now on the table (the guy clearly must love Dunkely to go to this extent for us to keep him).

How do we leverage this dastardly situation to our benefit? Immediately we need to focus on Brisbane, because in lieu of Comrade's thorough lobbying he's going north.

So what are the actual trade scenarios we can envisage to get some pace into our midfield and support in defence, or, some pace and forward craft inside fifty?

Having lived O/S during Brisbane's rise last year, I've only started to watch them in lockdown number two so I'm not across who may be available and good for us. And also tradeable.

soupman
15-08-2020, 12:35 AM
Obviously McCluggage, Rayner and Hipwood are no goes, Berry is too established and has his bro there, and I wouldn't want a draft pick.

The three I'd be looking at in order would be:

Zac Bailey. Quick, good ball user and versatile and would really help the link between our forwardline and everything else. Really emerged this year so they'd be reluctant to part with him and he is a SA boy so hard to get but definitely worth trying for.

Noah Answerth is another I'd look at. Decent medium size defender who is good one on one which is a great point of difference to basically our entire side. Melbourne boy as well. Also would be a great addition to "Bulldogs players who constantly get their names misspelled" like Ryan Hargraves, Ryan Gardiner and Ryan Traitor (oh shit they're all Ryans).

Alex Witherden. Decent defender, probably not as quick as I'd like but a really good ball user and good rebounder. Would really help with our ball use across the ground and his stocks aren't too high atm as he is right on the fringe with them atm, Geelong boy fwiw.

jeemak
15-08-2020, 03:10 AM
Obviously McCluggage, Rayner and Hipwood are no goes, Berry is too established and has his bro there, and I wouldn't want a draft pick.

The three I'd be looking at in order would be:

Zac Bailey. Quick, good ball user and versatile and would really help the link between our forwardline and everything else. Really emerged this year so they'd be reluctant to part with him and he is a SA boy so hard to get but definitely worth trying for.

Noah Answerth is another I'd look at. Decent medium size defender who is good one on one which is a great point of difference to basically our entire side. Melbourne boy as well. Also would be a great addition to "Bulldogs players who constantly get their names misspelled" like Ryan Hargraves, Ryan Gardiner and Ryan Traitor (oh shit they're all Ryans).

Alex Witherden. Decent defender, probably not as quick as I'd like but a really good ball user and good rebounder. Would really help with our ball use across the ground and his stocks aren't too high atm as he is right on the fringe with them atm, Geelong boy fwiw.

You forgot Caleb Daniels....but I get that it didn't fit with the rhythm of your post.

Happy Days
19-10-2020, 09:54 AM
So apparently Tom Browne sez that Essendon are making enquiries about Dunkley.

As mich as their likely first offer of Laverde and a (future) second round pick is tempting, what could we reasonably expect them to drum up?

I don't think they have the assets to make this worth our time to even consider.

comrade
19-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Draper or Ridley is all I would want from them and they're not giving up either.

bornadog
19-10-2020, 10:01 AM

As mich as their likely first offer of Laverde and a (future) second round pick is tempting, what could we reasonably expect them to drum up?

I don't think they have the assets to make this worth our time to even consider.

They may end up with some picks for Saad which may be of interest if that is what we want to do.

Vred
19-10-2020, 10:08 AM
Trade our captains best friend who goes on pre-season training trips with him, a clubman who plays his heart out for the RW&B and one of our best guns on ground?

Hard pass, doubt it will even happen.

comrade
19-10-2020, 10:08 AM
Would take some serious cahones to get rid of Bont's best mate. Some extra draft picks wouldn't be worth it IMO, would need to be players that fill holes in our best 22.

comrade
19-10-2020, 10:09 AM
Trade our captains best friend who goes on pre-season training trips with him, a clubman who plays his heart out for the RW&B and one of our best guns on ground?

Yeah, I don't like it either.

GVGjr
19-10-2020, 10:10 AM
It depends on if we now see him more as a forward and a relief ruckman than a genuine midfielder
I definitely wouldn't trade him unless a ridiculously good offer was made and Vred makes some good points about him being close to the captain

EasternWest
19-10-2020, 10:10 AM

Hypothetically would you trade Dunkley for Josh Kelly?

azabob
19-10-2020, 10:11 AM
Josh Dunkley or Jack Macrae?

azabob
19-10-2020, 10:13 AM

Tom Browne? Anything he says don't we take it with a tonne of salt?

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Perhaps there’s some missing info here. Maybe this is essendons demands to someone we have enquired about? Who was a fringe player for them this year that didn’t get a game?

Axe Man
19-10-2020, 10:35 AM
Perhaps there’s some missing info here. Maybe this is essendons demands to someone we have enquired about? Who was a fringe player for them this year that didn’t get a game?

We probably called Shaun McKernan, Dodo got wind of it and demanded Dunkley even though they had already delisted him.

Vred
19-10-2020, 10:52 AM

I'd trade Dunkley for Todd Goldstine + a late 1st or early 2nd, that's about it really.

Grantysghost
19-10-2020, 10:56 AM

Yes.

Happy Days
19-10-2020, 11:05 AM
Draper or Ridley is all I would want from them and they're not giving up either.

I dunno. Draper looks like a good prospect but has a ton of stereotypical ruckman goon in him, and has bog average skills. Ridley is a jet but is his value to our team and our million half backs worth more than Dunkley? I don't think he is.

I'd consider 5 and 7 or whatever the picks they have will be after the mind-boggling Saad trade, but even then I think it would get cannibalised on JUH. I don't see what they can offer us that makes us do the trade.

soupman
19-10-2020, 11:33 AM
Picks aren't really worth it because JUH swallows them up, however a possible work around (which would involve placing far too much trust in Dodoro than I would like plus would probably be frowned upon by the AFL) would be to trade Dunkley for a pick that in combo with 12 could cover JUH (so a 20ish pick), wait till draft night, match the JUH bid swallowing up pick 12 and the pick we got from Essendon, then immediately swapping our 2021 second rounder for Essendons pick 5/7 whatever top ten pick Dunkley is actually worth.

That way you turn Dunkley into draft capital to get JUH this year and also get pick 5/7/whatever without losing it to draft points,

*In no way am i advocating for trading Dunkley and/or even talking to Dodoro, just highlighting a potential way to push the envelope a bit with trading rules and undoubtably get punished by the AFL for doing so*

1eyedog
19-10-2020, 11:38 AM
Would take some serious cahones to get rid of Bont's best mate. Some extra draft picks wouldn't be worth it IMO, would need to be players that fill holes in our best 22.

Not only Bont's best mate but Bevo's fave. They would be expected to pay well overs and will recoil at it and look elsewhere.

jeemak
19-10-2020, 11:38 AM
Imagine my surprise logging on this morning to see this thread at the top of the pile.

Essendon don't have anyone we want who they'd be willing to give up. Even if they did I wouldn't consider dealing with them because they'd do whatever they can to devalue him and it's unlikely the deal would get done. So, what would be worse than trading Dunkley would be attempting to trade him and then not getting it done.

1eyedog
19-10-2020, 11:40 AM
Dunkley for Merrett?

Mofra
19-10-2020, 11:43 AM
Please, for the love of god no.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-10-2020, 11:45 AM
Please, for the love of god no.

This.

It would be even worse of a decision than playing him as our second ruck.

Proven bull in the midfield and a leader, let's actually help him thrive.

Bulldog Joe
19-10-2020, 11:51 AM
Dunkley for Merrett?

Who would play ruck?

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Who would play ruck?

Ummm Merrett? That's the whole idea of the trade I thought.

comrade
19-10-2020, 12:00 PM
The Dunkley rumour has certainly gotten Bomber Blitz up and about. They're salivating at the idea of bringing in Dunks.

Happy Days
19-10-2020, 12:16 PM
Merrett fits our mix better, but is also arguably not as good as Dunkley and will absolutley not bring the same standards to the track as Dunks.

I don't really want anyone from Essendon. They've all been too red pilled to ever meaningfully contribute to winning football.

Twodogs
19-10-2020, 12:18 PM
The Dunkley rumour has certainly gotten Bomber Blitz up and about. They're salivating at the idea of bringing in Dunks.

Has it occured to them that they will have to give a shitload up to get him?

I say no way we trade Dunkley unless it's a ridiculously good offer and Essendon don't do ridiculously good offers. Dunkley is our captain in waiting, one of the leaders of our club.

GVGjr
19-10-2020, 12:20 PM
The only way if this has any legs to it is if we don't see Dunkley as a midfielder anymore and want to play him more as a forward with some time in the ruck

Failing that, he won't get traded

Grantysghost
19-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Merrett fits our mix better, but is also arguably not as good as Dunkley and will absolutley not bring the same standards to the track as Dunks.

I don't really want anyone from Essendon. They've all been too red pilled to ever meaningfully contribute to winning football.

We may be able to leverage a three way trade I guess. But it does seem fanciful, he is a pretty popular team member and we aren't exactly known for being mercenaries at the trade table with our players. Quite the opposite.

westbulldog
19-10-2020, 12:27 PM
The idea of trading Dunkley is ludicrous, who came up with this garbage suggestion ?

Bulldog Revolution
19-10-2020, 12:30 PM
I view it as all part of an EFC PR smokescreen to distract from Daniher, Fantasia and Saad wanting out

If you dont like the conversation, you change the conversation, and thats what this rumour does

jeemak
19-10-2020, 12:40 PM
The idea of trading Dunkley is ludicrous, who came up with this garbage suggestion ?

Ouch.

SquirrelGrip
19-10-2020, 12:49 PM
I'm guessing we've been sniffing out Tippa again.

Mofra
19-10-2020, 12:57 PM
Tell them we've asked for Daniher and Saad

The bulldog tragician
19-10-2020, 01:08 PM
I hate this time of year.

dadsgirl16
19-10-2020, 01:58 PM
me too

Doc26
19-10-2020, 01:59 PM
The only way if this has any legs to it is if we don't see Dunkley as a midfielder anymore and want to play him more as a forward with some time in the ruck

Failing that, he won't get traded

I'm all for retaining fabric and wouldn't be keen on entering a trade for Dunks. And another of our premiership players.

For the sake of hypothetical trade discussion only, and given the rumour mongering of player movements:
Dunkley - Essendon
Merrett - Collingwood
Treloar - Dogs

comrade
19-10-2020, 02:09 PM
I'm all for retaining fabric and wouldn't be keen on entering a trade for Dunks. And another of our premiership players.

For the sake of hypothetical trade discussion only, and given the rumour mongering of player movements:
Dunkley - Essendon
Merrett - Collingwood
Treloar - Dogs

Seems like a sideways move for us. I'd only consider moving Dunkley if it filled one of our gaping holes with an A-grade type in ruck, key defence or general forward.

Doc26
19-10-2020, 02:16 PM
Seems like a sideways move for us. I'd only consider moving Dunkley if it filled one of our gaping holes with an A-grade type in ruck, key defence or general forward.

Possibly but adding some outside leg speed around the stoppages would be beneficial to us. Smith and Treloar on the outside seems a step up. Again, Dunks is a fabric player, like Libba. These players add so much more than filling a certain skill profile.

Happy Days
19-10-2020, 02:24 PM

Dunkley - Essendon
Merrett - Collingwood
Treloar - Dogs

Dunkley is better than Treloar, has functioning hamstrings and isn't on over $1m a year.

Happy Days
19-10-2020, 02:26 PM

17 and 40 for Dunkley apparently. Or Hurley.

Is this what we look like to opposition supporters?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-10-2020, 02:27 PM

Just Essendon ones I think.

comrade
19-10-2020, 02:30 PM
Possibly but adding some outside leg speed around the stoppages would be beneficial to us. Smith and Treloar on the outside seems a step up. Again, Dunks is a fabric player, like Libba. These players add so much more than filling a certain skill profile.

Yeah, I just can't see a slight step up in outside pace as being a worthwhile trade off.

Bulldog4life
19-10-2020, 02:41 PM
I'd trade Dunkley for Todd Goldstine + a late 1st or early 2nd, that's about it really.

No from me. Dunks stays. Not interested at all in giving him the flick. Irrespective of what we get for him.

Bulldog4life
19-10-2020, 02:43 PM

Yep and we would have to be very very cruel to send him to the Bummers.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Dunks, as others have mentioned is a 'fabric' type player. Unless he were to express that he wants out, you don't voluntarily try to move on 'fabric' players

Ozza
19-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Yep, agree with others, not keen on trading Dunkley and he is certainly a 'fabric' type of player.

My mate who works for the club once said to me that he can't quite work out which one of Dale Morris or Josh Dunkley - is the best bloke he's ever met.

But on the footballing side - Dunks probably had another 10 years with us. Could be a captain of the club, and was in the All Australian squad last year.

ReLoad
19-10-2020, 03:23 PM
Yep, agree with others, not keen on trading Dunkley and he is certainly a 'fabric' type of player.

My mate who works for the club once said to me that he can't quite work out which one of Dale Morris or Josh Dunkley - is the best bloke he's ever met.

But on the footballing side - Dunks probably had another 10 years with us. Could be a captain of the club, and was in the All Australian squad last year.

And id throw in hasn't hit peak football maturity yet, the offer would want to be something special, and I don't think the bummers have anything to offer.

If we had an "untouchable" list of players, he is pretty close to being one of them.

If i were to pick a player on our list that's worth something on the trade table and we could potentially replace, it would be JJ.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2020, 04:57 PM
And id throw in hasn't hit peak football maturity yet, the offer would want to be something special, and I don't think the bummers have anything to offer.

If we had an "untouchable" list of players, he is pretty close to being one of them.

If i were to pick a player on our list that's worth something on the trade table and we could potentially replace, it would be JJ.

Also didn't play in his preferred position this season. Play him as a full-time mid and we'll see his true value. It's an interesting situation we have with him and Libba. Libba's excellent form has meant less midfield time for Dunks. How do we get him in there more often?

comrade
19-10-2020, 04:58 PM
Also didn't play in his preferred position this season. Play him as a full-time mid and we'll see his true value. It's an interesting situation we have with him and Libba. Libba's excellent form has meant less midfield time for Dunks. How do we get him in there more often?

If games go back to longer quarters, this should mean more rotation through the middle and our midfield depth (in theory) will be a more potent weapon.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2020, 05:03 PM
If games go back to longer quarters, this should mean more rotation through the middle and our midfield depth (in theory) will be a more potent weapon.

No it'll simply mean more ruck time for Josh.

comrade
19-10-2020, 05:05 PM
No it'll simply mean more ruck time for Josh.

Well, in my scenario I'm choosing to believe that in 2021 we've come to our senses and brought in adequate ruck relief to partner with English.

jeemak
19-10-2020, 05:06 PM
I fail to see how Bevo has enough credits left in the bank to continue to be able to pull this ruck bullshit unencumbered. Surely someone senior steps in and forces the issue.

Sedat
19-10-2020, 05:10 PM

Are they still trying to trade Mark Bolton to us for Scott West?

Fark off Essendon.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-10-2020, 05:16 PM
Well, in my scenario I'm choosing to believe that in 2021 we've come to our senses and brought in adequate ruck relief to partner with English.

We can only hope. But it’ll depend on whether the coaching group actually believe severe problems exist. Time will tell. None of us want to see Dunks contend a single ruck contest for the rest of his career.

GVGjr
19-10-2020, 05:50 PM
Jeemak has really worked this rumour, I'm now getting mates contacting me about losing Dunkley. Bloody Jeemak :)

Doc26
19-10-2020, 05:52 PM
I really don't like the title of this thread:(

Jeemak, if we lose Dunks to the Bombers I blame you for giving it legs.

WBFC4FFC
19-10-2020, 05:59 PM
No from me. Dunks stays. Not interested at all in giving him the flick. Irrespective of what we get for him.

Also the Bummers would only offer Draft Picks, which is not what the Bullies need at this juncture.

You don't let Fabric Guys go - EVER! You lose the belief in the playing group, which would then look at the situation and think to themselves it is just a business and will hence, will play with that extra edge that is required to be successful.

bornadog
19-10-2020, 06:04 PM
Also the Bummers would only offer Draft Picks, which is not what the Bullies need at this juncture.

You don't let Fabric Guys go - EVER! You lose the belief in the playing group, which would then look at the situation and think to themselves it is just a business and will hence, will play with that extra edge that is required to be successful.

We do need draft picks for points

jeemak
19-10-2020, 07:15 PM
Jeemak has really worked this rumour, I'm now getting mates contacting me about losing Dunkley. Bloody Jeemak :)

I really don't like the title of this thread:(

Jeemak, if we lose Dunks to the Bombers I blame you for giving it legs.

It's going to be fine lads. He's not going anywhere.

EasternWest
19-10-2020, 07:25 PM
Dunkley for Merrett?

I'd trade you before I'd even consider that. And I love you like a brother.

Mind you, my brothers shit me.

azabob
19-10-2020, 07:29 PM
I fail to see how Bevo has enough credits left in the bank to continue to be able to pull this ruck bullshit unencumbered. Surely someone senior steps in and forces the issue.

Who do you think is senior enough? Is Gordon the only one capable - not sure it is the presidents place to do so?

jeemak
19-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Who do you think is senior enough? Is Gordon the only one capable - not sure it is the presidents place to do so?

I think between Baines and Grant the message could be sent really clearly.

Dancin' Douggy
19-10-2020, 08:11 PM
This post makes me think of another thread that I was considering starting.
The presumption that two (or three or more) brothers would LOVE to play with each other for the same team.
Be at every training session together.
Take every interstate flight together.
Attend every club function together. Etc etc.
I, for one, would have HATED that.

Jeezus. You've just left home. (my home was CROWDED, believe me)

You're carving your place in the world.
You've just left the pressure cooker of home.
Maybe moved interstate.
You're breathing like a free man.
You're competing only against yourself and a randomly selected group of strangers.
You're making new friends, spreading your wings, chasing the dream.

Then your little brother turns up.........................

Should this be a thread?

I'd trade you before I'd even consider that. And I love you like a brother.

Mind you, my brothers shit me.

Hotdog60
19-10-2020, 08:52 PM
Dodo is offering us a young talent that can play mid and forward and can brake a game open his name is Stringer and is a prodigious talent so it's Stringer for Dunks and our 1 st round coming back and two Mercedes Vans.

Bulldog Joe
19-10-2020, 10:49 PM
Dunkley for Merrett?

Can't be done.

Apparently they are trading Merrett to Collingwood for De Goey and a first rounder.

So many realistic posters on Bomber Blitz;)

The Adelaide Connection
19-10-2020, 11:34 PM
I know this is far fetched, but I hope they don't win trade week this year. Bomberblitz will be the stuff of dreams.

westbulldog
20-10-2020, 01:27 PM
Steer clear of anything to do with Essendon.

Bulldog4life
22-10-2020, 08:53 AM
Tom Browne
@TomBrowne7
·
Oct 22
Further to my report on Monday morning, Essendon / Dunkley is a very real situation. I don’t think the Bulldogs will trade him, at this stage. Which makes it even more interesting. I’ll just let it play out,
but it has the hallmarks of one of the arm wrestles of the trade period.

I think Essendon must have been reading Woof. Bugger off.

The Underdog
22-10-2020, 08:58 AM
Tom Browne
@TomBrowne7
·
Oct 22
Further to my report on Monday morning, Essendon / Dunkley is a very real situation. I don’t think the Bulldogs will trade him, at this stage. Which makes it even more interesting. I’ll just let it play out,
but it has the hallmarks of one of the arm wrestles of the trade period.

I think Essendon must have been reading Woof. Bugger off.

Like I needed another reason to want to punch Tom Browne.
If that guy didn’t get his gig because his dad is mates with someone or he’s got dirt on someone high up at Channel 7, I’d be amazed. One of life’s great bellends.

Happy Days
22-10-2020, 09:43 AM
Literally all of the smoke on this is coming from Tom Browne.

comrade
22-10-2020, 09:46 AM
Arm wrestle? He’s contracted for another 2 years. Either Essendon offers up massive overs or we tell them to jog on.

If Dunks isn’t happy with that, too bad.

Grantysghost
22-10-2020, 10:01 AM
If there is any truth to this, I find myself speculating that Josh and the club may have different ideas around where he is most valuable. We seem to have gone out of our way since the start of 2019 to play him anywhere but midfield.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 10:16 AM
If there is any truth to this, I find myself speculating that Josh and the club may have different ideas around where he is most valuable. We seem to have gone out of our way since the start of 2019 to play him anywhere but midfield.
Libba's form is the major reason behind that. He was fantastic this year and earned his spot as a starting rotation mid.
Next year with longer quarters Dunkley will spend more time in the centre.

Grantysghost
22-10-2020, 10:35 AM
Libba's form is the major reason behind that. He was fantastic this year and earned his spot as a starting rotation mid.
Next year with longer quarters Dunkley will spend more time in the centre.

I agree in part, but think back to the start of 2019 and we certainly had conjured plans to play Josh forward. Was no surprise our form improved with his move back to midfield. Notably the fightback tribute game at Marvel comes to mind in which he was superb.

Edit : Just checking back Libba missing 2018 and playing 2019 fits the that theory I think you're on the right track there. Be interesting to see what happens with quarter length. Reading the tea leaves we will be around 18 minutes / qtr.

Axe Man
22-10-2020, 10:43 AM

Why? The only thing that had been reported is an interest from Essendon, I really don't understand all the angst. There has been nothing even speculated from the Dogs or Josh's side. Clubs would make enquires about all sorts of players and mostly nothing would come of it.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 10:44 AM
I agree in part, but think back to the start of 2019 and we certainly had conjured plans to play Josh forward. Was no surprise our form improved with his. Notably the fightback tribute game at Marvel comes to mind in which he was superb.

Edit : Just checking back Libba missing 2018 and playing 2019 fits the that theory I think you're on the right track there. Be interesting to see what happens with quarter length. Reading the tea leaves we will be around 18 minutes / qtr.
In practice - Dunkley gets 8 minutes per game more time in the centre plus the time we manage our other starting mids, and that's only if Libba plays every game which I think we can't bank on. He's had two ACLs and I think we will be cautious in managing him during a regular season.

Dunkley by reputation is one of the most solid-citizens on our list. There are many, many players I'd let go before Dunkley.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Why? The only thing that had been reported is an interest from Essendon, I really don't understand all the angst. There has been nothing even speculated from the Dogs or Josh's side. Clubs would make enquires about all sorts of players and mostly nothing would come of it.

I know it probably isn’t factual but Tom Browne said on MMM this morning there was some level of interest from Josh’s side. It could just be him trying to drum up his own story.

Grantysghost
22-10-2020, 11:00 AM

Agree with you, I'm in the keep camp, he's not the type I'd be looking at trading. It's pure speculation on my behalf that if there's any truth to it that may be the case. Considering source it's registering low on my worry meter.

Grantysghost
22-10-2020, 11:02 AM
In practice - Dunkley gets 8 minutes per game more time in the centre plus the time we manage our other starting mids, and that's only if Libba plays every game which I think we can't bank on. He's had two ACLs and I think we will be cautious in managing him during a regular season.

Dunkley by reputation is one of the most solid-citizens on our list. There are many, many players I'd let go before Dunkley.

Agree. Sounds right to me.

hujsh
22-10-2020, 11:06 AM
I know it probably isn’t factual but Tom Browne said on MMM this morning there was some level of interest from Josh’s side. It could just be him trying to drum up his own story.

Josh's "side" is probably going to be interested in boosting his position for a new contract.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-10-2020, 11:17 AM
We can ill afford to lose another outstanding Premiership player. Dunkley was poorly used as a back up ruck man to English which meant we were losing his fine midfield presence as a support to Bont and Libba. I am not sure why he would want to go to a Club like Essendon which still hasn't recovered from its drugs saga and continues to struggle both on and off the field.

comrade
22-10-2020, 11:33 AM

I may be projecting, but I'm really hoping this trade conjecture puts a stop to our BS use of Dunks in the ruck.

If Essendon were really serious, they'd bring in Kyle Dunkley as a DFA and publicly state that Dunks would be their number 1 midfielder and would never spend another second in the ruck. That would set the cat amongst the pigeons.

Doc26
22-10-2020, 12:10 PM
Given Dunks is a contracted player, I would like the Club and Dunks to come out and knock this on the head if there is nothing in it. The fact that Darcy, who sits on our Board, didn't refute it on MMM other than to say that a trade would have to be compelling does make me wonder if something may be there.

cinder
22-10-2020, 12:15 PM
Would like the Club and Dunks to come out and knock this on the head if there is nothing in it. The fact that Darcy, who sits on our Board, didn't refute it on MMM other than to say that a trade would have to be compelling does make me wonder if something may be there.

Likewise. A bit worried about the deafening silence ...

The Bulldogs Bite
22-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Trading Dunkley - in my opinion - just doesn't really make sense. He's a big, hard at it mid who wins his own ball and would have to be in the top 5 mids in the game aerially, which is why we use him as a forward target so often. He's also a very good leader and best mates with Bont. I love what Josh brings to our club and I get that Libba's resurgence maybe impacted Dunks, but how many years has Lib even got left? Besides that, Dunkley is AA quality.

BUT.

For arguments sake if Essendon came with a hail mary offer and he wanted to go, what is his worth and how could we make it work for us?

The truth is that big inside mids aren't the hardest type of player in the world to find. Granted, not many are Dunks' quality on and off the field, but typically they're easier to find and we have a pretty good core of ball winning mids.

Draft picks would seem unlikely to cut it given anything we receive would be swallowed up by JUH, unless we could package picks to move higher up the order. Seems next to impossible. So, it comes down to either future picks and/or players. Besides Merrett I don't see a lot of appeal on Essendon's list, but for arguments sake if we got Merrett and something else, would that make us a better balanced side? I'd pick Dunkley all day every day over Merrett, but can a case be made that Merrett makes us a better side?

Food for thought. I hope we don't lose Dunkley, seeing a young premiership player about to hit his prime leave for Essendon would really 'top off' these last 4 years.

Bulldog4life
22-10-2020, 12:30 PM
Given Dunks is a contracted player, I would like the Club and Dunks to come out and knock this on the head if there is nothing in it. The fact that Darcy, who sits on our Board, didn't refute it on MMM other than to say that a trade would have to be compelling does make me wonder if something may be there.

Western Bulldogs director Luke Darcy has watered down rumours that star midfielder Josh Dunkley could leave the club and join Essendon on a big-money deal.

With the Bombers set to lose Joe Daniher, Adam Saad and Orazio Fantasia this summer, the club is flush with salary cap space and has been rumoured with landing a big fish.

According to AFL reporter Tom Browne, the Bombers have expressed interest in the 23-year-old Bulldogs star who is under contract at the Whitten Oval through 2022.

However, when news of Essendon's reported interest in Dunkley was put to Darcy, the Bulldogs great immediately shot down the speculation.

Essendon is reportedly interested in adding Bulldogs star Josh Dunkley to its midfield group (AAP)
"I've got a creeping assumption he's going to stay exactly where he is," Darcy told Triple M's The Hot Breakfast.

"Everyone gazes everywhere this time of the year and you want to get every player to your club, whether you can do it or not is another thing.

"That would be a great surprise if he was anywhere other than the Bulldogs."

After being drafted 25th overall in the 2015 draft, Dunkley has been a prolific ball-winner for the Dogs, but had a down year in 2020, averaging just 18.2 disposals per game.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/josh-dunkley-trade-link-with-essendon-shot-down-by-western-bulldogs-director/476c0abc-cc0a-4b2e-84db-6eb39a4bfbb6

bornadog
22-10-2020, 12:45 PM
LYON’S MESSAGE TO BULLDOGS OVER CONTRACTED MIDFIELDER DUNKLEY (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/21/lyons-message-to-bulldogs-over-contracted-midfielder-dunkley/)

Western Bulldogs cannot afford to let a player of Josh Dunkley’s calibre go, according to Garry Lyon.

It’s been widely reported that Essendon have expressed an interest in Dunkley who is contracted to the Bulldogs until the end of 2022.

The Dogs fell at the elimination final hurdle for the second straight season and Lyon says keeping Dunkley and adding more midfield depth is a must if they are to go deeper in the finals next year.

“Your midfield needs to be deep. You need six, seven, eight midfielders,” Lyon told SEN Breakfast.

"(Jackson) Macrae, (Marcus) Bontempelli and (Bailey) Smith might be their preferred starting line-up, but you’ve got (Tom) Liberatore, that is such an integral part of that (midfield), I would have Dunkley as an integral part of that.

“You’ve got to keep building it, you’ve got to keep building deep midfields – look at both of these teams in the Grand Final (Richmond and Geelong).

“From a footy point of view, I don’t think Josh Dunkley would be leaving the Western Bulldogs.”

Dunkley averaged 18 disposals and a tick under six tackles in an injury-interrupted 2020 campaign.

The 23-year-old is a premiership player in 2016 and has notched 78 games for the Dogs

Doc26
22-10-2020, 12:56 PM
Western Bulldogs director Luke Darcy has watered down rumours that star midfielder Josh Dunkley could leave the club and join Essendon on a big-money deal.

With the Bombers set to lose Joe Daniher, Adam Saad and Orazio Fantasia this summer, the club is flush with salary cap space and has been rumoured with landing a big fish.

According to AFL reporter Tom Browne, the Bombers have expressed interest in the 23-year-old Bulldogs star who is under contract at the Whitten Oval through 2022.

However, when news of Essendon's reported interest in Dunkley was put to Darcy, the Bulldogs great immediately shot down the speculation.

Essendon is reportedly interested in adding Bulldogs star Josh Dunkley to its midfield group (AAP)
"I've got a creeping assumption he's going to stay exactly where he is," Darcy told Triple M's The Hot Breakfast.

"Everyone gazes everywhere this time of the year and you want to get every player to your club, whether you can do it or not is another thing.

"That would be a great surprise if he was anywhere other than the Bulldogs."

After being drafted 25th overall in the 2015 draft, Dunkley has been a prolific ball-winner for the Dogs, but had a down year in 2020, averaging just 18.2 disposals per game.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/josh-dunkley-trade-link-with-essendon-shot-down-by-western-bulldogs-director/476c0abc-cc0a-4b2e-84db-6eb39a4bfbb6

My understanding is that this reference was Darcy’s initial response on first hearing it from Tom Browne, a few days back. I was more referring to Darce’s response to it, with Tom Browne, on his MMM show this morning.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2020, 12:57 PM
My understanding is that this reference was Darcy’s initial response on first hearing it from Tom Browne, a few days back. I was more referring to Darce’s response to it, with Tom Browne, on his MMM show this morning.

Darce does try everything in his power to appear unbiased. He certainly isn't like Eddie.

Bulldog4life
22-10-2020, 01:08 PM

Ok. I don't listen to the show.

Rocket Science
22-10-2020, 02:34 PM
So Lyon opining on Darcy commenting on Browne concocting patent clickbait.

We just need Kane Cornes or that sentient dim sim Hutchy to weigh in and the circle jerk will be complete.

Pleaze. If there's anything at all to this it's Essington keen to push the line it's being aggressive to distract from the fact the joint is crumbling to its knees, and who can blame them given they've got a Trade Week Premiership three-peat to defend.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 02:47 PM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-afl-trades-trade-period-free-agency-rumours-news-trade-talk-blog-live-chat-tom-morris/news-story/f2ed1167b8dfb5922a970b08f24749d2

The Western Bulldogs have categorically ruled out entertaining a trade for on-baller Josh Dunkley.
The Dogs are aware of Essendon’s interest, as reported by Tom Browne, and foxfooty.com.au understands the proposed contract is lucrative financially and would lock Dunkley in for at least four seasons.

But even if he requests a trade, the Western Bulldogs would reject it immediately on the basis that the 23-year-old is not only a highly rated player, but a leadership group member and a respected person.

Doc26
22-10-2020, 03:16 PM
Throwing the farm with a lucrative offer for a player in contract, and with no apparent issues with their Club, is really poor form by any Club. Like where is this going to end with players and Clubs walking away from contracts due to a change of mind (to further it’s position), whilst other clubs and managers play their hardest to dissolve the agreements that are in place. Maybe this latest play from Essendon is retaliatory, I’d imagine there would be long memories in this regard, but either way the culture stinks.

WBFC4FFC
22-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Didn't we do likewise with Boyd at GWS and Lonergan at the Hand-Bags? (Not sure if Lonergan was under contract at the time though).

I look at it as a positive. The Bummers are devoid of culture that they are having to resort to looking over at Footscray to get some! That's how their generally arrogant fans will be looking at this, I can assure you.

ledge
22-10-2020, 07:04 PM
Looking at it with common sense , it would take huge overs to get him and what have they got to offer us anyway ?
According to them they have the best midfield in the Competition why would they want Dunkley?
They need key forwards and key backs not another midfielder.
They have nothing to offer us player wise and why would a player leave a club playing finals and go to a basket case ?
Seriously Tom Browne has got his click bait that’s about it.

EasternWest
22-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Looking at it with common sense , it would take huge overs to get him and what have they got to offer us anyway ?
According to them they have the best midfield in the Competition why would they want Dunkley?
They have nothing to offer us player wise and why would a player leave a club playing finals and go to a basket case ?

I'd only consider Ridley. And even then I'm wary of trading those players that are kind of core to the personality of the team. Either way, anything else totally off the table.

Dancin' Douggy
22-10-2020, 07:56 PM
I would say NO to trading Dunkley. But as a hypothetical, let's say some other clubs prick up their ears and start thinking Dunks is 'gettable'.

What offer would you say yes to? (I know, presuming Dunkley wanted to go their etc etc)

kruder
22-10-2020, 08:00 PM
let's hope the positive of the Don's interest in Dunckley is that Bevo never plays him in the ruck again.

azabob
22-10-2020, 08:31 PM
I may be projecting, but I'm really hoping this trade conjecture puts a stop to our BS use of Dunks in the ruck.

If Essendon were really serious, they'd bring in Kyle Dunkley as a DFA and publicly state that Dunks would be their number 1 midfielder and would never spend another second in the ruck. That would set the cat amongst the pigeons.

You project? Never!!

bornadog
22-10-2020, 10:12 PM

Essendon are short on a good hard inside mid

ledge
22-10-2020, 10:33 PM
Essendon are short on a good hard inside mid

Not according to them and as I said they have nothing to offer us anyway.
And don’t forget another two years with us under contract they have to pay that or at least some of it and with the salary cap dropping it’s pretty much a made up story.
Yeah Essendon might have asked but the idea of it happening is nonsense

1eyedog
22-10-2020, 11:07 PM
I would say NO to trading Dunkley. But as a hypothetical, let's say some other clubs prick up their ears and start thinking Dunks is 'gettable'.

What offer would you say yes to? (I know, presuming Dunkley wanted to go their etc etc)

An excellent small forward or a quality key back.

jeemak
22-10-2020, 11:09 PM
So are you guys up for trading Dunkley?

soupman
22-10-2020, 11:18 PM
So are you guys up for trading Dunkley?

In a vacuum yes. He is the highest value player we have that is surplus to our needs, although I guess you could argue Macrae is a slightly more valuable player and Dunkley could take his spot if he left.

However, Dunkley is perfect off field, well behaved, presents well, seems to be popular in the playing group (was he voted into the leadership group) and is tight with Bontempelli who comes out of contract next year and is the last person we want to annoy. Also the context matters, if Dunkley wants out then so be it, but if it's us pushing him out I think it doesn't go down well with the group, which could be a big risk.

I guess the flipside is even if we piss of the playing group it isn't like we are overperforming anyway so as long as we don't lose anyone important out of it we probably stand to benefit.

Dancin' Douggy
22-10-2020, 11:54 PM
Absolutely.

let's hope the positive of the Don's interest in Dunckley is that Bevo never plays him in the ruck again.

Dancin' Douggy
22-10-2020, 11:54 PM
I think we need names.
An excellent small forward or a quality key back.

jeemak
23-10-2020, 12:00 AM
In a vacuum yes. He is the highest value player we have that is surplus to our needs, although I guess you could argue Macrae is a slightly more valuable player and Dunkley could take his spot if he left.

However, Dunkley is perfect off field, well behaved, presents well, seems to be popular in the playing group (was he voted into the leadership group) and is tight with Bontempelli who comes out of contract next year and is the last person we want to annoy. Also the context matters, if Dunkley wants out then so be it, but if it's us pushing him out I think it doesn't go down well with the group, which could be a big risk.

I guess the flipside is even if we piss of the playing group it isn't like we are overperforming anyway so as long as we don't lose anyone important out of it we probably stand to benefit.

Excellent response, to a post that was tongue in cheek!

I agree with all of that. Though, with a couple of months after the original post as water under the bridge it just doesn't look like there's a player on the market worth swapping for and my original post didn't take into account our points scenario with JUH.

Perhaps given Dunkley is contracted for another two years this year wouldn't be the one to pull the trigger anyway?

jeemak
23-10-2020, 12:01 AM
Absolutely.

Hey DD, you've been responding above the quote for a few days now, what's your secret?

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-10-2020, 12:02 AM

Dunkley is arguably one of our best half a dozen players and a good Premiership player as well. Dunkley is the sort of person you build good teams around. We have been unsettled both in defence and attack plus an over reliance on English as a sole ruckman. The department that has enabled us to at least make the finals in the past two years has been our midfield with Dunkley being a key part of this unit. We should be doing all possible to retain him IMO.

Dancin' Douggy
23-10-2020, 12:06 AM
I'm not quite certain what you mean jeemak. Above the quote or above the quota?

Hey DD, you've been responding above the quote for a few days now, what's your secret?

Rocket Science
23-10-2020, 12:24 AM
I think we need names.

For the sake of the exercise ... say Sydney dangles Papley to land an apparent to Josh Kennedy and make amends for foolishly shunning the son of a very dour gun via father-son.

Are we listening?

---

FWIW unless he's fangin' to leave I think we're nuts if we move Dunks on, you don't tear at the fabric like that, especially when it's 23 years old.

Dancin' Douggy
23-10-2020, 12:38 AM
For the sake of the exercise ... say Sydney dangles Papley to land an apparent to Josh Kennedy and make amends for foolishly shunning the son of a very dour gun via father-son.

Are we listening?

---

FWIW unless he's fangin' to leave I think we're nuts if we move Dunks on, you don't tear at the fabric like that, especially when it's 23 years old.

I'm listening. Papley for Dunkley. That's actually got me a little stumped. Dunkley is a rock solid citizen, premiership player, tough as nails, much love clubman etc. Papley is pretty much EXACTLY what we're missing in our forward line.

The Adelaide Connection
23-10-2020, 12:54 AM
Dunkley is arguably one of our best half a dozen players and a good Premiership player as well. Dunkley is the sort of person you build good teams around. We have been unsettled both in defence and attack plus an over reliance on English as a sole ruckman. The department that has enabled us to at least make the finals in the past two years has been our midfield with Dunkley being a key part of this unit. We should be doing all possible to retain him IMO.

As a footnote, JUH also spent a week living with him. Whilst that was an exercise with undoubtedly numerous goals, bonding and forming a relationship to make Jamarra infinitely more comfortable would be high on that list.

Shipping the bloke you get him to form a relationship with off to Jamarra's boyhood team (Essington) is Inception levels of madness.

SquirrelGrip
23-10-2020, 10:35 AM
For what it’s worth, a family member received a direct message from Josh last night saying he hadn’t spoken with Essendon and he’s not going anywhere.

These fabricated stories are just unfair and unethical on a myriad of levels.

Bulldog Joe
23-10-2020, 10:55 AM
For what it’s worth, a family member received a direct message from Josh last night saying he hadn’t spoken with Essendon and he’s not going anywhere.

These fabricated stories are just unfair and unethical on a myriad of levels.

In light of that you wonder how these things get started.

Perhaps
Journalist (Loosely Defined term) trawls internet for footy stories

Stumbles on thread on WOOF

Assumes that because fans discuss the logic that Dunkley is gettable.

Questions from his/her own limited intellect ... which club could really use Josh Dunkley

.. answers rhetorical question clearly Essington

Starts story that Dunkley may be gettable and Essington would be interested..

Essington asked if they would be interested and answer is Yes Please!!

Story now has legs and official rumourmonger has clicks plus Essington fans all in love with the idea.

Can now keep stoking until end of trade period.

Happy Days
23-10-2020, 11:13 AM
Essendon honestly believe that its unfair other teams have players they want.

bornadog
23-10-2020, 11:25 AM
I hate it that players are contracted and are thrown big dollars to move, but we did it with Tom Boyd and offered him a mega deal, so who are we to complain.

I have been expecting clubs to come after our good players, but the interesting thing will be how we handle these situations.

According to Barrett, Essendon have put forward a huge contract to Dunks. The money is always hard to knock back as it sets up the player for life. I don't agree with Soupman that he is surplus to our needs. We need as many A grade players on our list that we can get. At just 23 years of age he has alot of good football left in him.

EasternWest
23-10-2020, 11:28 AM

Perhaps

Questions from his/her own limited intellect ... which club could really use Josh Dunkley

Story now has legs and official rumourmonger has clicks plus Essington fans all in love with the idea.

So this whole story is jeemak's fault?

Stupid, sexy jeemak.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Jeemak! Again! I knew it was him

GVGjr
23-10-2020, 11:59 AM
So this whole story is jeemak's fault?

Stupid, sexy jeemak.

Yes and yes :)

The Underdog
23-10-2020, 12:00 PM

Perhaps

I’d be astounded if this story isn’t being fed to journos from somebody at Essendon, trying to speak it into existence. It’s an industry where to get good info, you have to do favours and that includes throwing stories out there to benefit the people who scratch your back. It is and has always been thus.

Happy Days
23-10-2020, 12:17 PM
Barrett reckons there’s a massive offer in front of him from Essendon. Still don’t see why we would do it but this is probably more reason for pause than before.

Grantysghost
23-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Barrett reckons there’s a massive offer in front of him from Essendon. Still don’t see why we would do it but this is probably more reason for pause than before.

Hmm. If the noise doesn't go away soon I might have to take notice of it.

Vred
23-10-2020, 02:22 PM

4.5m over 5 years
number 1 midfielder
leadership group

1eyedog
23-10-2020, 02:23 PM
Be crazy not to take that coin.

The Underdog
23-10-2020, 02:42 PM

Lot of money for a back up ruck

EasternWest
23-10-2020, 02:53 PM

No remember it's mercenary and he should be loyal to the club.

Grantysghost
23-10-2020, 03:18 PM
If they're willing to pay him that, have to say he would mad not to take it.

ReLoad
23-10-2020, 04:05 PM
So let’s say he takes that offer (it has to be tempting for him!) then what do we get? Surely 2x 1st rounders and some steak knives in Hurley.

Vred
23-10-2020, 04:18 PM
So let’s say he takes that offer (it has to be tempting for him!) then what do we get? Surely 2x 1st rounders and some steak knives in Hurley.

Hurley has stated today his seeing his contract out with Essenton.

Essendons deal to Shiel was 6x800k.
Dunkleys deal seems 5x900k

Shiel was contracted for one more year when he was poached and heading into FA. Dunkley is younger, contracted for longer and even when his contract expires wont be a FA.

Shiel got GWS two top 10 picks. I expect the Dunkley deal to be the same. We'd have to be turning those picks into MATURE PROVEN players and not taking them to the draft because they'll just get eaten up by JUH anyway.

chef
23-10-2020, 05:17 PM
I guess can we blame him if he wants a fresh start after the way hes been *!*!*!*!ed over as a make shift ruckman.

Vred
23-10-2020, 05:25 PM
I guess can we blame him if he wants a fresh start after the way hes been *!*!*!*!ed over as a make shift ruckman.

Ill be pointing the finger squarely at Bevo if we lose Dunkley because he was *!*!*!*!ing forced to ruck. Worst decision we made all year and I said it from the first time it happened, that this should NOT be happening.

EasternWest
23-10-2020, 05:32 PM
Herald Sun on Twitter reporting that Dunkley is interested.

Because it's in the Herald Sun take it as a lock that he's not going anywhere.

dog town
23-10-2020, 05:36 PM
I don’t think Dunkley will go anywhere but if he left because he had a few runs in the ruck then good riddance. I would be shocked if it had any influence at all.

With no viable back up I think most people who have been in similar scenarios can see what Bevo was trying to do. Unlikely that the players were not aware and on board with it in my view.

bornadog
23-10-2020, 05:40 PM
I don’t think Dunkley will go anywhere but if he left because he had a few runs in the ruck then good riddance. I would be shocked if it had any influence at all.

With no viable back up I think most people who have been in similar scenarios can see what Bevo was trying to do. Unlikely that the players were not aware and on board with it in my view.

Good Post DT and I fully agree.

Grantysghost
23-10-2020, 05:50 PM
They've already got an inside bull, Jesse Stringer I think is his name, so we shouldn't discount that maybe he's being considered as a ruck prospect.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-10-2020, 06:17 PM
Though you wouldn't blame Dunkley for being interested if he's being offered that much, if he legitimately wanted to go, what does it say about our club? Where are we going?

Dunkleys playing style is replaceable but his importance within the group isn't. 23, leader, premiership player, AA inside bull, coming into his prime etc etc.

I support the club not the individual, but losing Dunkley would make me well and truly lose faith in this football club. Geelong/Hawks and to a lesser degree Tigers/Pies all kept their players at reduced rates during their contending/premiership years, yet we've had an exodus and if Dunks wants to go, it's pretty damaging to our brand.

bornadog
23-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Though you wouldn't blame Dunkley for being interested if he's being offered that much, if he legitimately wanted to go, what does it say about our club? Where are we going?

Dunkleys playing style is replaceable but his importance within the group isn't. 23, leader, premiership player, AA inside bull, coming into his prime etc etc.

I support the club not the individual, but losing Dunkley would make me well and truly lose faith in this football club. Geelong/Hawks and to a lesser degree Tigers/Pies all kept their players at reduced rates during their contending/premiership years, yet we've had an exodus and if Dunks wants to go, it's pretty damaging to our brand.

4 players over 4 years is hardly an exodus. The rest retired or delisted?

chef
23-10-2020, 06:41 PM
4 players over 4 years is hardly an exodus. The rest retired or delisted?

Or just didnt have the hunger anymore

Rocket Science
23-10-2020, 06:47 PM

https://i.ibb.co/8xYSsJJ/exodus.png (https://ibb.co/hdYt9kk)

jeemak
23-10-2020, 07:04 PM
I don't see what Esserden can offer us, but it's up to them to figure that part out. My guess is they'll low ball the trade and run a campaign in the media focusing on how cruel we are. Dunkley will stay at the Bulldogs and it will be a bit awkward for a while and then it will be OK.

GVGjr
23-10-2020, 07:06 PM
He's contracted until the end of 2022, there is nothing to see and this one will fizzle out soon enough

Bullies
23-10-2020, 09:45 PM
If they're willing to pay him that, have to say he would mad not to take it.

Couldn't knock back that coin as he would get nowhere near $950k a year in his next contract with us. I thought they needed players who could use the ball.

Bulldog Revolution
23-10-2020, 09:56 PM
2 more seasons to play out under contract and Dunks doesn’t want to go to Essendon

Doc26
23-10-2020, 10:53 PM
2 more seasons to play out under contract and Dunks doesn’t want to go to Essendon

BR, has this been confirmed today?

bornadog
24-10-2020, 12:38 AM

The Bont said he is going nowhere.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-10-2020, 02:00 AM
The Bont said he is going nowhere.

The Bont knows all.

Meanwhile Rocco Jones is just a son of a bitch....

Bulldog Revolution
24-10-2020, 02:19 AM

I probably should have said "surely Dunks doesnt want to go to Essendon.

azabob
24-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Gee hasn't this escalated since Jeemak threw out the bait back in August.

For Dunkley this is a win win situation. No doubt.

For Essendon a win win situation. Dunkley has leverage with Essendon to get an amazing commercial outcome and be guaranteed to play 100% midfield time.

He also now has leverage with the bulldogs, to put forward his concerns of where he is being played on field (if he has any) and also re-negotiate his current contract and extend it to co-inside with free agency.

He is a couple years off entering his prime and his upside is a lot greater than the unknown we'd be bringing into our club if we were to trade him.

Oh, also guaranteed if he does want a trade to Essendon we won't get anything else done this trade period as Dodo will extended it out until the very final minute.

GVGjr
24-10-2020, 11:07 AM
Gee hasn't this escalated since Jeemak threw out the bait back in August.

For Dunkley this is a win win situation. No doubt.

For Essendon a win win situation. Dunkley has leverage with Essendon to get an amazing commercial outcome and be guaranteed to play 100% midfield time.

He also now has leverage with the bulldogs, to put forward his concerns of where he is being played on field (if he has any) and also re-negotiate his current contract and extend it to co-inside with free agency.

He is a couple years off entering his prime and his upside is a lot greater than the unknown we'd be bringing into our club if we were to trade him.

Oh, also guaranteed if he does want a trade to Essendon we won't get anything else done this trade period as Dodo will extended it out until the very final minute.

I don't quite see it that way, he has a contract until the end of 2022 so even if the offer is as big as is being speculated it's not necessarily what can be offered in two years time.
We just have to keep saying no thanks to anything that Essendon might offer

I'm as confident as I can be that Dunkley will be with us next season and beyond

azabob
24-10-2020, 11:38 AM
I don't quite see it that way, he has a contract until the end of 2022 so even if the offer is as big as is being speculated it's not necessarily what can be offered in two years time.
We just have to keep saying no thanks to anything that Essendon might offer

I'm as confident as I can be that Dunkley will be with us next season and beyond

I am not saying we match Essendon's offer. If we want to keep Dunkley we likely will need to sweeten his current arrangement.

Happy Days
24-10-2020, 12:01 PM
I am not saying we match Essendon's offer. If we want to keep Dunkley we likely will need to sweeten his current arrangement.

Why though. He only re-signed last year, it's not like he'd be on nothing.

ledge
24-10-2020, 12:47 PM

We don’t have to do anything except say no, he is contracted we do not have to match anything he isn’t a restricted or free agent.
He is contracted to play for us as per the contract both sides agreed to, if one says no he stays.
Both player and club must agree for him to leave and the club has said no.
For us to agree it would have to be a massive offer and the bombers would have to pay overs big time.
I find it strange that a board member and our own captain has said he is happy and isn’t leaving but the press still write stories about it.

Bulldog4life
24-10-2020, 02:33 PM
He's contracted until the end of 2022, there is nothing to see and this one will fizzle out soon enough

If players want to leave while on contract why have contracts in the first place. They mean nothing.

Bulldog4life
24-10-2020, 02:36 PM
Ill be pointing the finger squarely at Bevo if we lose Dunkley because he was *!*!*!*!ing forced to ruck. Worst decision we made all year and I said it from the first time it happened, that this should NOT be happening.

Dunks is Bevo's favourite according to the players. All good there.

Happy Days
24-10-2020, 06:15 PM
Um, so Tom Browne just said Dunkley has told the club he wants to go to Essendon

I don’t feel so good guys.