PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Geelong R14 2020

Pages : 1 2 [3]

KT31
28-08-2020, 11:40 PM
2016 was great, but who wants to live 4 years in the past?

What has the past got to do with it, At present Danger has no flags and whilst I really rate him as a player has he ever stood up and said, I' m the one to lead this club into the future?

EasternWest
I thought ten suited my argument better.

That's twice.

But I needed a laugh after that.

HOSE B ROMERO
He is an amazing player clearly. Is that the point? Or that he's better than the Bont. I don't agree with the latter.

And by the way no one seemed to care when he lost his headband ..! Why was the game allowed the continue !

Quite valid questions GG. At first i thought that Bont may have taken it off to pull over Bruce's eyes. It may have helped.

Grantysghost
Seems like tonight would've been a fair night to prove he can.

He is 24 with 3 x b and f, 2 x AA, AFLCA best player award and a flag? What can't he do.
Tonight is tough to swallow I feel your pain.

The Bulldogs Bite
Anyone else's weekend now f*cked?

That's a top 3 loss for me - I'll be livid still in 2021!

EasternWest
What has the past got to do with it, At present Danger has no flags and whilst I really rate him as a player has he ever stood up and said, I' m the one to lead this club into the future?

I can point you to fairly recent example where he did.

Grantysghost
28-08-2020, 11:41 PM
That's twice.

But I needed a laugh after that.

I looked at 11 and it didn't work :cool:

comrade

Chris Grant also had no flags, was he no good as a leader of the club?

Dangerfield has pulled the Cats over the line more times than Bont has for us, that's for sure.

EasternWest
He is 24 with 3 x b and f, 2 x AA, AFLCA best player award and a flag? What can't he do.
Tonight is tough to swallow I feel your pain.

I don't want you or anyone to think the man crush I have for Bont is in any way diminished. I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

That would have been a prize scalp.

Grantysghost
28-08-2020, 11:42 PM
Quite valid questions GG. At first i thought that Bont may have taken it off to pull over Bruce's eyes. It may have helped.

I think we need a please explain from the AFL.

Mantis
28-08-2020, 11:42 PM

Living in Melbourne every weekend is *!*!*!*!ed!

I’m disappointed, but not livid... they’ve been the best performing team over the last 6-8 weeks and we made them look silly for parts.

We missed 2 absolute sitters in the 2nd qtr and lost 2 players when there was still lots of time on the clock... we aren’t too far away.

Grantysghost
28-08-2020, 11:43 PM
I don't want you or anyone to think the man crush I have for Bont is in any way diminished. I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

That would have been a prize scalp.

I needed a time out afterwards.

Eastdog
That's a top 3 loss for me - I'll be livid still in 2021!

These types of losses hurt the most when you are in front for most of the game and lose it in the end.

Stefcep
I would take the Bont anytime over that protected species Dangerfield. You can agree or not and that is fine.

Dangerfield is smart enough to know to get the calls. Bont has more upside given his 6 years younger, but lets be honest here, Danger willed his team to win this one from 6 goals down. Bont is not there yet. I'm sorry but he's not.

bornadog

I’m disappointed, but not livid... they’ve been the best performing team over the last 6-8 weeks and we made them look silly for parts.

We missed 2 absolute sitters in the 2nd qtr and lost 2 players when there was still lots of time on the clock... we aren’t too far away.

Yeah, but it hurts.

HOSE B ROMERO

Let me see. When do the reserves play?

What? Ok, pretty much.

comrade
28-08-2020, 11:44 PM

I feel like we're miles away.

A dysfunctional forward line besides Naughton, a midfield that plays on their own terms, a ruck situation that is diabolical, and a defence that is solid but prone to sh*tting itself under pressure.

Mantis
28-08-2020, 11:45 PM
Chris Grant also had no flags, was he no good as a leader of the club?

Dangerfield has pulled the Cats over the line more times than Bont has for us, that's for sure.

Dangerfield arrived at Geelong when he was older than Bont is now... let’s see how many games Bont wins for us over the next 5-6 years before we compare.

Would also like the umpiring to be similar for both... the gap with that is amazing!

EasternWest
28-08-2020, 11:45 PM

All fair.

When I've calmed down a bit I'll remember we were great early and certainly toiled hard enough for the rest.

Hotdog60
28-08-2020, 11:46 PM
Well I'd drop Bruce for the rest of the season and bring in Sweet. If Sweet is not ready for senior football he can get some learning experience in. English can take Bruce's role forward and help ruck.

merantau
28-08-2020, 11:46 PM
We have to make use of the bye and come out firing. Three games to go and we must win ALL of them. Do that and we go into the finals on a roll. Geelong are the best team at the moment and we could have won this game had we took our chances. We played two down and some of our best players were off the boil. Lose next game and it's season over. Let's Go Dogs!

Stefcep
28-08-2020, 11:47 PM
I can point you to fairly recent example where he did.

Exactly. He DOES it rather than talk it.

anfo27
28-08-2020, 11:47 PM
Geez really disappointed with that. Its been the story for the year with the better teams. Geelong found another gear or two after quarter time & that was too much for us. I think physically they seemed stronger & mature & i hate to say it but they seemed to want it more than us. We seemed to be outnumbered throughout the game time & again. Yeah we had a few down but if we're honest we could all see it happening.

I'm not going to knock their effort but it was disappointing we couldn't find another gear.

I don't get the English situation. Please explain it to me? Tallest player on the ground & we don't want to play him in the ruck because he is uncompetitive but we don't want to play another ruck. English & Bruce were just far too much for us to carry.

It feels like we are a long, long, long way off.

Grantysghost
28-08-2020, 11:50 PM
Just thinking we could've used Vanders run in the last. Bah ... stupid f*$*%g game sucking me in...surely I can find a more healthy way to spend my time.

jeemak
28-08-2020, 11:51 PM

Great post Mantis.

comrade
28-08-2020, 11:51 PM
Just thinking we could've used Vanders run in the last. Bah ... stupid f*$*%g game sucking me in...surely I can find a more healthy way to spend my time.

Supporting the Dogs is a shocking hobby, isn't it? Enjoyable about 20% of the time.

jeemak
28-08-2020, 11:52 PM
Dangerfield is smart enough to know to get the calls. Bont has more upside given his 6 years younger, but lets be honest here, Danger willed his team to win this one from 6 goals down. Bont is not there yet. I'm sorry but he's not.

Please don't ignore that we were two down for a half and one down for most of the game. We were running in sand and our entire team was up against it.

jeemak
28-08-2020, 11:53 PM
Supporting the Dogs is a shocking hobby, isn't it? Enjoyable about 20% of the time.

It's masochistic to say the least. I even think it's probably sadistic (i.e. those at the club who seem to have a clear agenda against us supporters).

comrade
28-08-2020, 11:54 PM
It's masochistic to say the least. I even think for some it's probably even sadistic.

Yeah, it's getting to that point.

Remi Moses
28-08-2020, 11:54 PM
Disagree we’re a long off
How are we a long way off ? We’ve lead all night to the form team of the comp and lost by effectively a kick
We’ve got the shifting off the d 50 right , but need other plans when teams stifle us
Need to sort the ruck issue out just think the smart coaches can have any plan going when they know their ruck’s got an armchair ride

Eastdog
28-08-2020, 11:56 PM
How are we a long way off ? We’ve lead all night to the form team of the comp and lost by effectively a kick
We’ve got the shifting off the d 50 right , but need other plans when teams stifle us
Need to sort the ruck issue out just think the smart coaches can have any plan going when they know their ruck’s got an armchair ride

I think I am more in your camp RM. A lot to work on but also not a long way off either.

Remi Moses
Please don't ignore that we were two down for a half and one down for most of the game. We were running in sand and our entire team was up against it.

Exactly . Had a big effect on the outcome as well

jeemak
Tim English had shoe horn hands tonight, just like Kramer wanted and the ball just kept bouncing off them.

Well Kramer, try marking an Australian Rules footy with those super handy shoe horn hands of yours mate.

KT31
28-08-2020, 11:58 PM
Pull the other one mate.

What useless irrelvancies.

2016 was great. Bont was great. He's still a great player.

He just can't do what Dangerfield did tonight. If he could, we'd be talking about him, not Dangerfield.

Pull the other one Mate,
What useless irrelvancies. really?
This is why people just can't be bothered posting any more,.
The last two weeks there's been scarcely an article about Danger and plenty about Bonts.

Grantysghost
28-08-2020, 11:59 PM
Tim English had shoe horn hands tonight, just like Kramer wanted and the ball just kept bouncing off them.

Well Kramer, try marking an Australian Rules footy with those super handy shoe horn hands of yours mate.

He was like a giant broken wooden trebuchet we were wheeling around the ground just there to...block stuff.

comrade
29-08-2020, 12:00 AM
The last two weeks there's been scarcely an article about Danger and plenty about Bonts.

Maybe that explains tonight's lopsided performances.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-08-2020, 12:01 AM
I curse you Geelong. May all your nipples dry up so you have no sucklings.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-08-2020, 12:02 AM
Looking on the brighter side, i'm so glad it wasn't a final. I've had a gut full of losing to them in finals.
I wonder what it was like when we lost to them at Geelong for 27 years straight from 1945-1972? Imagine driving back to Footscray each year and saying to your kid "Don't worry son. We'll beat them down there next year".

Stefcep
29-08-2020, 12:03 AM

Yeah I don't buy Bevo's excuse. We're playing a shorter quarters They had Toohey and Taylor with injuries,

What happened was we were second to the ball from the first bounce of the second quarter because we crapped oursleves and the wanted it more. That had nothing to do Vanders and Wood injuries.

If all that we take out of this game is that we lost because of that then Bevo learned nothing.

Mantis
Geelong had the 10 most experienced players on the ground tonight... it’s only happens 50 times in VFL/AFL history.. it showed in the end.

We have some gaps to fill and issues to sort through , but we aren’t winning it this year... but it might be a different story in a couple of years time.

Eastdog
Q1 - 6.3-0.3 our favour
Q2 - 0.3-3.3 their favour
Q3 - 1.1-2.3 their favour
Q4 - 2.0-5.3 their favour

Really lost it after quarter time and particularly with the last quarter shootout.

Sedat
29-08-2020, 12:04 AM
It feels like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Either we are close and highly competitive against the best teams, or the best teams have us comfortably sorted out and we lose exactly the same way against them.

We can't expect games to be played on our terms against the best teams, and we clearly lack the ability to scrap and scrounge when we can't get our preferred game style going.

Maybe it's as simple as the Geelong/West Coast slow ball retention game plan is more controllable and our run and gun style is more inconsistent and subject to greater variances in effectiveness.

comrade
Looking on the brighter side, i'm so glad it wasn't a final. I've had a gut full of losing to them in finals.
I wonder what it was like when we lost to them at Geelong for 27 years straight from 1945-1972? Imagine driving back to Footscray each year and saying to your kid "Don't worry son. We'll beat them down there next year".

2 close wins in the last decade, we truly are their bitches. Chris Scott has worked out Bevo more so than any other coach.

Grantysghost
Geelongs final qtr outscored our final three.

5.3 to 3.4.

We couldn't hold them with two down.

Bont had ten tackles if that's worth anything. Wasn't at his best but tried his arse off.

Stefcep
29-08-2020, 12:05 AM

right.. it had that ig effect from the first bounce of the second quarter we were gassed, is that it, because we chasing shadows from that point on....

anfo27
29-08-2020, 12:06 AM

Granted i didn't see the Power & Lions game but when we have played a good side we only look good on our terms. We looked good in the first quarter because Geelong looked horrible. Yeah give us credit for making them look bad but they had another gear. We all saw after quarter time that the cats got it back on their terms & we couldn't do a thing about it. It was the same against the pies, saints & tigers.

We are not as good as those teams & its a debate of how far behind we are. I think we are quite a distance this year & if we did happen to make the 8 we would be clearly making up the numbers.

KT31
29-08-2020, 12:06 AM
Maybe that explains tonight's lopsided performances.

You could be right Comrade, but alls I'm trying to point out is , it isn't all on Dangers shoulders at the Cats like it is on Bonts at the Dogs.

Eastdog
29-08-2020, 12:07 AM

We just can't take a trick against this mob.

angelopetraglia
Looking forward to this game all week. Friday night. Kick the first six goals! How good is life? Forget about the lockdown. Forget about the crazy life we are living at the moment. Planning out the next few weeks of footy obsession and distraction. Love the game. Love this club. Going to watch every game all weekend!

What a difference the feeling is 90 minute later. You either love it or hate it depending on the score. Gutted.

Remi Moses
Scott’s an excellent coach
Pain in the arse , but a great coach
They recalibrate after 1/4 time

Stefcep
29-08-2020, 12:08 AM

right.. it had that effect from the first bounce of the second quarter we were gassed, is that it, because we chasing shadows from that point on....

angelopetraglia
29-08-2020, 12:08 AM

So happy to see two big wins at Kardina Park. One from behind at half time and another where we had a miracle comeback in the last few minutes. Thank god for that.

comrade
29-08-2020, 12:09 AM
Looking forward to this game all week. Friday night. Kick the first six goals! How good is life? Forget about the lockdown. Forget about the crazy life we are living at the moment. Planning out the next few weeks of footy obsession and distraction. Love the game. Love this club. Going to watch every game all weekend!

What a difference the feeling is 90 minute later. You either love it or hate it depending on the score.

For the past 3.5 years, you can certainly count on the Dogs to ruin your weekend more often than not.

Remi Moses
29-08-2020, 12:09 AM
You could be right Comrade, but alls I'm trying to point out is , it isn't all on Dangers shoulders at the Cats like it is on Bonts at the Dogs.

Also hasn’t won a flag at geelong
They need to pretty quickly

Remi Moses
29-08-2020, 12:11 AM
Thank god we’re not Adelaide ( this year)
Melbourne or Stkilda
Could be a first ,a footy fan site breaking the internet

KT31
29-08-2020, 12:16 AM
Also hasn’t won a flag at geelong
They need to pretty quickly

Careful Remi, I pointed this out in an earlier post and got told it was irrelevant and to "pull on other one".

jazzadogs
29-08-2020, 12:17 AM
For me, the Cats set up really poorly in the first quarter allowing us to use the release handball that we love, and giving us plenty of space to move the ball quickly upfield.

They adjusted their structures at quarter time, as you would expect from a side with their experience and talent, giving us less space at the contest and around the ground. We held them at bay for most of the next two quarters despite that.

In the last, we completely ran out of legs and our structure fell down. They kicked away.

I'm extremely flat after that, but this was never going to be a six goal game no matter what we did after quarter time. We squandered chances and made bad decisions, but it was a long way from our worst performance of the year - just happened to be up against one of the best teams for 3/4 quarters.

Remi Moses
29-08-2020, 12:18 AM
Careful Remi, I pointed this out in an earlier post and got told it was irrelevant and to "pull on other one".

Isn’t the point of the recruiting of such senior players ? To actually win a premiership
It’s all well and good getting to the pointy end
But they haven’t won anything

angelopetraglia
29-08-2020, 12:20 AM
I have missed not going to the footy so much this year. It is just not the same on TV. The ritual of actually going to the ground. Sharing the game experience with my extended family. Sitting with the normal crew around us in our reserved seats. Being able to see the entire ground and feeling more connected to what is happening. The noise of the crowd. Belong to the Bulldog tribe. Hopefully we can return to normality next year.

Grantysghost
29-08-2020, 12:23 AM
I have missed not going to the footy so much this year. It is just not the same on TV. The ritual of actually going to the ground. Sharing the game experience with my extended family. Sitting with the normal crew around us in our reserved seats. Being able to see the entire ground and feeling more connected to what is happening. The noise of the crowd. Belong to the Bulldog tribe. Hopefully we can return to normality next year.

Hear hear.

EasternWest
29-08-2020, 12:24 AM
Pull the other one Mate,
What useless irrelvancies. really?
This is why people just can't be bothered posting any more,.

Ah yes. Articles written about a person. Another relevant metric for a player's output.

Do you need your hand held, mate?

Such petulance simply because someone disagrees with you is so churlish.

Dangerfield won them that game.

It is irrelevant this year how many flags he's won. And if you think he didn't put his hand up to lead them, well I refer you back to the game. If you want to keep saying "but we won in 2016" and think that's good enough well that's fine, but I want more.

We're obviously not going to win in 2020 so I'd dearly love to scupper some hopes on the way, and I'm disappointed we didn't.

Bury your head in the sand all you want, but I'm not.

Eastdog
29-08-2020, 12:24 AM

Great post angelopetraglia. I feel exactly the same.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 12:26 AM
Yeah I don't buy Bevo's excuse. We're playing a shorter quarters They had Toohey and Taylor with injuries,

What happened was we were second to the ball from the first bounce of the second quarter because we crapped oursleves and the wanted it more. That had nothing to do Vanders and Wood injuries.

If all that we take out of this game is that we lost because of that then Bevo learned nothing.

I turned the coverage off immediately after the final siren.

It's OK if you don't buy what I say or what Bevo says, I couldn't care less and without speaking for him I don't think he would either. However, it was clear we were not coping with pressure in the second and as fatigue hit we struggled to get to each ball or cope with pressure as the game wore on.

To your point though, the time of the quarters is irrelevant, because the game is played at a pace according/ relevant to time. I get you're not happy, but I'll take his summation over yours because firstly it's aligned with mine (massive win :) ) and secondly because it's never as simple as you've stated.

Yes we didn't adjust to pressure in the second, but we did afterwards and our fatigue just made it harder to sustain due to not having the rotations.

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 12:27 AM
What to make of that?

On the surface it was pretty clear cut. We went two men down and you just don't win games of AFL footy when the opposition has a two man advantage. A win here would have been celebrated as an absolute affirmation of G&D all the stuff we love about our Club.

But we didn't win. The writing was on the wall when we went a man down and not through lack of effort, we couldn't hold back the tide. I'm almost content to leave it at that. It's the wise move I think.

The rest of my post isn't entirely reasonable, so beware if you can be bothered reading on.

The nagging part of me, just under the surface, reaches for the serial nature of it. Our best footy works. It is scintillating and I believe our best footy beats everyone else's best footy on its day. But we just don't have enough days. Why? Maybe a mystery.

Teams adjust and we don't respond. We're all in on one way. Too often Plan B is do Plan A better. Our best footy at the moment isn't particularly resilient. It needs many cogs all spinning in unison, it is susceptible to catastrophic failure. It is undermined by some stubborn coaching and selection. Those injuries killed us, but seeing the extra duress it put on Gardner, who battled manfully but was absolutely torched, a liability with the ball in hand, was really disheartening for me. Seeing Bruce "almost" perform but mostly bumble around and waste his chances. Watching Dicko come from the clouds and not get a kick. Some of that could have been reasonably foreseen? We might as well have had no-one left in the last.

Dunno. I've been angrier. I've been more flat. If how we play was a feeling, that's what I feel like. Dunno.

I feel like we are never too far away from failing. Or flying.

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 12:29 AM

Same. I try to not think too hard about it because when I do someone starts cutting onions. Its a huge hole in my life at the moment and while I am glad we have some footy to watch its not exactly solace.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 12:33 AM
Ah yes. Articles written about a person. Another relevant metric for a player's output.

It is irrelevant this year how many flags he's won. And if you think he didn't put his hand up to lead them, well I refer you back to the game. If you want to keep saying "but we won in 2016" and think that's good enough well that's fine, but I want more.

We're obviously not going to win in 2020 so I'd dearly love to scupper some hopes on the way, and I'm disappointed we didn't.

I don't think we'll win it this year, but tonight actually reminded me of a game we played at Geelong in 2016 albeit with a lopsided start that didn't really reflect the quality differential of the two teams.

We were up to our eyeballs in this game and nothing from tonight says to me we can't win the remainder of our games and finish somewhere sixth to eighth.

But that's by and by, only the future will tell.

I understand that Dangerfield was great tonight, and Bont wasn't. I understand that this year Bont has also been shown up in a game where Dusty dominated as well. I guess however that tonight we and a number of players off their food and we almost won. Geelong also had some players out and won, and some of their players were a bit down. Having said that I reckon our players being down had more of an impact as a result. If we make it I won't fear Geelong.

kruder
29-08-2020, 12:34 AM
So its round 10 2021, does anyone think Dunkley will still be rucking? I'm scared to answer the question.

Eastdog
29-08-2020, 12:37 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/803167/bulldogs-overrun-in-tough-loss-to-cats

Bulldogs overrun in tough loss to Cats
A gallant Bulldogs outfit couldn't withstand a late charge from Geelong, falling by 11-points on Friday night.

Geelong recovered from a 36-point deficit to defeat a gallant Western Bulldogs by 11 points at Metricon Stadium on Friday night.

The Bulldogs, who finished the game with two fit players on the bench after Laitham Vandermeer and Easton Wood succumbed to hamstring injuries, were overrun by the Cats in the last quarter.

Geelong kicked five goals to two in the final term to secure the win, including the last three of the game, after the Dogs held a 10-point lead at three quarter time.

The Bulldogs led for almost the entirety of the match after a scintillating opening, but the Cats hit the lead at the 19-minute mark of the final quarter when Tom Hawkins kicked truly from a set shot.

The loss leaves the Dogs with seven wins and seven losses after 14 rounds, ahead of a bye in Round 15.

Their finals destiny will be revealed in the last three games of the 2020 campaign, in matches against West Coast, Hawthorn and Fremantle.

Lachie Hunter kicked a goal and led the possession count for the Bulldogs with 27, adding 10 score involvements to be his team’s most influential player.

Jack Macrae (26 disposals) also found plenty of the ball, while Aaron Naughton booted two goals and took four contested marks.

Patrick Dangerfield was Geelong’s most consistent performer with 32 possessions.

The Bulldogs could do little wrong in the opening quarter, kicking six unanswered goals from individual sources as their pressure and ball movement proved too slick for their opposition.

From there though, the Cats gradually worked their way into the contest, reducing the margin to 18 points after kicking the only three goals of the second term, and to under two goals by the final change.

The teams went goal-for-goal early in a frenetic last stanza, until Geelong kicked clear in the final minutes.

MATCH DETAILS

Western Bulldogs 6.3 6.6 7.7 9.7 (61)

Geelong Cats 0.3 3.6 5.9 10.12 (72)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs: Naughton 2, Dunkley, Crozier, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Richards, McLean, Hunter
Geelong Cats: Hawkins 2, Miers 2, Rohan 2, Stanley, O’Connor, Dahlhaus, Duncan

BEST
Western Bulldogs: Hunter, Daniel, Crozier, Johannisen, Macrae
Geelong: Dangerfield, Stewart, Guthrie, Rohan, Parfitt, Henry

INJURIES
Western Bulldogs: Vandermeer (hamstring), Wood (hamstring)
Geelong: Tuohy (ribs)

Stefcep
29-08-2020, 12:38 AM
I turned the coverage off immediately after the final siren.

It's OK if you don't buy what I say or what Bevo says, I couldn't care less and without speaking for him I don't think he would either. However, it was clear we were not coping with pressure in the second and as fatigue hit we struggled to get to each ball or cope with pressure as the game wore on.

To your point though, the time of the quarters is irrelevant, because the game is played at a pace according/ relevant to time. I get you're not happy, but I'll take his summation over yours because firstly it's aligned with mine (massive win :) ) and secondly because it's never as simple as you've stated.

Yes we didn't adjust to pressure in the second, but we did afterwards and our fatigue just made it harder to sustain due to not having the rotations.

So you've got you head in the sand as much as he has? Fine. You win. Enjoy your loser mentality.

As far "adjusting afterwards" is just not reality. When did this "afterwards" happen, exactly. We actually competed more in the last quarter than we did in qtr 2 and 3. How does that work if you're tired, exactly?

Its an absolute cop out that we lost it because of 2 injuries

Beveridge was out-coached and certain senior players need a blow torch put to them.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2020, 12:38 AM
It’s pretty simple. Geelong lifted their intensity after quarter time and we predictably fell to water. However we certainly have improved since the festival of footy. We rarely got killed out the back and our intensity was a lot better. Unfortunately tonight we looked buggered after one quarter and when we lost the speed of Vanders we were too few as we were carrying 2-3 players as it is (Bruce, English and Dickson).

Our one way game plan just isn’t sustainable and we need to learn to adjust to the tempo of the game. You could see exactly what Geelong wanted to do. Control possession. Because we man space they just chipped it up to centre half forward and then bombed it into our deer in headlights defence.

Look I’m happy with the improvement but I’m still far from convinced we’ve got a solid framework in place to really take us places.

Lastly, I don’t want Bruce or English in the side for the remainder of the season. Timmy is riding two awesome games for too long. Seriously he has been pathetic the last few weeks and a complete liability. He looks spent 5 minutes in but if so why is he being selected and not rested?

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2020, 12:40 AM
PS anyone else sick to death of our injury luck?

We have one week where we’re all giddy with glee about our small injury list and then tonight happens. Sick. of. It.

Stefcep
29-08-2020, 12:40 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/803167/bulldogs-overrun-in-tough-loss-to-cats

Bulldogs overrun in tough loss to Cats
A gallant Bulldogs outfit couldn't withstand a late charge from Geelong, falling by 11-points on Friday night.

Geelong recovered from a 36-point deficit to defeat a gallant Western Bulldogs by 11 points at Metricon Stadium on Friday night.

The Bulldogs, who finished the game with two fit players on the bench after Laitham Vandermeer and Easton Wood succumbed to hamstring injuries, were overrun by the Cats in the last quarter.

Geelong kicked five goals to two in the final term to secure the win, including the last three of the game, after the Dogs held a 10-point lead at three quarter time.

The Bulldogs led for almost the entirety of the match after a scintillating opening, but the Cats hit the lead at the 19-minute mark of the final quarter when Tom Hawkins kicked truly from a set shot.

The loss leaves the Dogs with seven wins and seven losses after 14 rounds, ahead of a bye in Round 15.

Their finals destiny will be revealed in the last three games of the 2020 campaign, in matches against West Coast, Hawthorn and Fremantle.

Lachie Hunter kicked a goal and led the possession count for the Bulldogs with 27, adding 10 score involvements to be his team’s most influential player.

Jack Macrae (26 disposals) also found plenty of the ball, while Aaron Naughton booted two goals and took four contested marks.

Patrick Dangerfield was Geelong’s most consistent performer with 32 possessions.

The Bulldogs could do little wrong in the opening quarter, kicking six unanswered goals from individual sources as their pressure and ball movement proved too slick for their opposition.

From there though, the Cats gradually worked their way into the contest, reducing the margin to 18 points after kicking the only three goals of the second term, and to under two goals by the final change.

The teams went goal-for-goal early in a frenetic last stanza, until Geelong kicked clear in the final minutes.

MATCH DETAILS

Western Bulldogs 6.3 6.6 7.7 9.7 (61)

Geelong Cats 0.3 3.6 5.9 10.12 (72)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs: Naughton 2, Dunkley, Crozier, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Richards, McLean, Hunter
Geelong Cats: Hawkins 2, Miers 2, Rohan 2, Stanley, O’Connor, Dahlhaus, Duncan

BEST
Western Bulldogs: Hunter, Daniel, Crozier, Johannisen, Macrae
Geelong: Dangerfield, Stewart, Guthrie, Rohan, Parfitt, Henry

INJURIES
Western Bulldogs: Vandermeer (hamstring), Wood (hamstring)
Geelong: Tuohy (ribs)

Oh we were gallant.

I suppose its change from "brave dogs"

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2020, 12:42 AM
PPS How on earth did JJ pull off that marvellous play in the 16 prelim? Because he is a dead set choking machine when under pressure

EasternWest
29-08-2020, 12:43 AM
I understand that Dangerfield was great tonight, and Bont wasn't. I understand that this year Bont has also been shown up in a game where Dusty dominated as well. I guess however, that tonight we and a number of player off their food tonight and we almost won. Geelong also had some players out and won, and some of their players were a bit down. Having said that I reckon our players being down had more of an impact as a result. If we make it I won't fear Geelong.

These are good points and as I said earlier I'm sure when the red must lifts I'll have more clarity. Wasn't it you that said anything said in the game day thread is inadmissible?

This whole Bont v Danger thing started simply because I said Danger was phenomenal and there was just a tone deaf chorus of responses that said "yeah but we've got Bont". I never even brought him into the conversation (I think I didn't anyway. Red mist, remember).

I love Bont. It's almost unhealthy how much. But I do. If you asked me to pick who I'd rather have of the two, the answer is "not Dangerfield". Maybe it's cognitive dissonance I don't know, but he's my first picked every week.

But that doesn't change the fact that he isn't able to wilfully dominate a game like that. It was just so visible to me how much Dangerfield just wanted to win and he was reckless and steadfast in that.

You've mentioned a number of times how much being two down hurt us and I take that on board - it's very relevant in a hot game like that.

It would have just been so nice to win that though, right?

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 12:46 AM

We have one week where we’re all giddy with glee about our small injury list and then tonight happens. Sick. of. It.

2017, or perhaps 18, it felt like we went down a man on the bench almost every week. It was ludicrous, at one point I am certain we copped those scenarios in games a cross a month straight. Injuries are bad, but injuries in game basically put us in a position where we can't win.

Eastdog
29-08-2020, 12:49 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/803196/upset-opportunity-again-eludes-bulldogs

Upset opportunity again eludes Bulldogs
Despite recent spirited performances, the Bulldogs are still searching for an elusive win against an AFL premiership contender.

The Western Bulldogs will continue to believe they can have a strong say in the finals race, despite missing another opportunity to secure a precious win against an AFL premiership contender.

The Bulldogs led premiership fancy Geelong by six goals at quarter time of their Round 14 clash at Metricon Stadium on Friday night, but the Cats fought back to eventually win by 11 points.

It followed similar spirited showings against top four aspirants Brisbane and Port Adelaide recently.

As it stands, the Bulldogs haven’t been able to notch a win against a current top eight team so far in the 2020 season.

The Dogs will now likely need to win their remaining three games of the season against West Coast, Hawthorn and Fremantle, to claim a spot in the 2020 finals.

On Friday night Geelong worked their way into the contest after a goalless first quarter, taking advantage of a weakened Bulldogs outfit which lost speedster Laitham Vandermeer and experienced defender Easton Wood to hamstring injuries by half time.

“The loss will give us belief that we can beat the better teams. With a fully fit 22 for four quarters, I think we’re in business, but it hurt us in the end,” Dogs’ coach Luke Beveridge said after the game.

“Credit to Geelong. They fought their way back, as we expected them to.

“I’m really proud of the boys that they really made them fight. It’ll do us the world of good to know we can get that close.

“We won’t get down on ourselves. We’re still sniffing around. We’ll recover well and we look forward to the challenge against the Eagles.”

The loss of Vandermeer and Wood caused a re-shuffle of the Bulldogs’ system, and the extra workload took its toll in the final stages against a seasoned Geelong side.

“With the two down, we needed a number of players to spend a lot more time on the ground,” Beveridge said.

“You don’t quite get the intensity at times, and I think it told.

“We were defending admirably at times. It just ended up being too much.”

Remi Moses
29-08-2020, 12:53 AM
right.. it had that ig effect from the first bounce of the second quarter we were gassed, is that it, because we chasing shadows from that point on....

I think the only one on the gas is yourself
Maybe have a lie down .

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 12:53 AM
Frustrating seeing Bont held so blatantly at the last handful of centre bounces and just ignored by the umpires.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 12:54 AM
So you've got you head in the sand as much as he has? Fine. You win. Enjoy your loser mentality.

As far "adjusting afterwards" is just not reality. When did this "afterwards" happen, exactly. We actually competed more in the last quarter than we did in qtr 2 and 3. How does that work if you're tired, exactly?

Its an absolute cop out that we lost it because of 2 injuries

Beveridge was out-coached and certain senior players need a blow torch put to them.

Yeah, both me and an AFL coach have our heads in the sand.

The second we were disorganised or couldn't cope with the pressure, and we stemmed the tide afterwards. The third was an arm wrestle or sorts, the last opened up a bit but when it counted we couldn't run with the Cats. If you want to refute that summation go for your life as I couldn't really care.

Grantysghost
29-08-2020, 12:55 AM
Just to make us all feel better it was Geelong’s biggest quarter time deficit turnaround since 1931.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 12:55 AM
Frustrating seeing Bont held so blatantly at the last handful of centre bounces and just ignored by the umpires.

Absolutely it was, as it was watching them being allowed to throw the footy any time they liked.

But the only game I'll allow myself to really get pissed at the umpiring in terms of it impacting the game relates to 2009, but it seems that each time we face Geelong those feelings crop up again.

Stefcep
29-08-2020, 01:01 AM
yeah, both me and an afl coach have our heads in the sand.

The second we were disorganised or couldn't cope with the pressure, and we stemmed the tide afterwards. The third was an arm wrestle or sorts, the last opened up a bit but when it counted we couldn't run with the cats. If you want to refute that summation go for your life as i couldn't really care.

pfft

EasternWest
29-08-2020, 01:05 AM
Just to make us all feel better it was Geelong’s biggest quarter time deficit turnaround since 1931.

That does not make me feel better.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 01:05 AM
pfft

I guess that says it all.

Get you're angry and all after a loss but it's a complex game and fatigue plays a massive part in how close games wind up.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 01:06 AM
That does not make me feel better.

Yeah but you're not quite the masochist GG clearly is. :)

KT31
29-08-2020, 01:10 AM

Heads not buried, but no need to be antagonising.
I’m as frustrated as the next bloke but eating your own belongs to other club supporters.

Rocket Science
29-08-2020, 01:12 AM
Petition to change the club motto from 'Cede Nullis' to 'All or Nothing'.

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 01:20 AM
Petition to change the club motto from 'Cede Nullis' to 'All or Nothing'.

The awful Cher song version, not the cool skater phrase.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-08-2020, 01:22 AM
Ok. So I think for once the wine has made me cool my jets!
The 2nd Qtr was always on the cards. We failed to adjust, but Vandermeer pinging did not help.

JJ's miss can't be downplayed for it's significance, given Miers score right after got them well and truly going.

Bruce is really struggling. Big time.
Either of JJ or Bruce's shots go in, I think we survive.

We clearly looked cooked in the last. Two men down historically shows you're up against it. 2 down is almost a death knell.

It sucks to lose; for some reason, even more when it's against Geelong!

I just don't think we lose if Vandermeer and Wood don't go down. Speed and defensive cover gone. That's a steep hill to overcome...but folks, keep hanging it on Bevo....bollocks!!

Maybe the wine has tempered my anger away from the team; it's definitely bolstered my contempt for those who have a preordained narrative theyre trying to pin on Bevo.
Jog on!

jeemak
29-08-2020, 01:25 AM
I still don't get how we could be as competitive as we were without any of our really good players having clearly good games.

Says to me our system/stucture was actually OK tonight, without being great and making the most of the tools we have to really be effective. I mean, it wasn't as if Hawkins ran riot and we were done out the back or whatever. Most of our issues seemed to be driven by mistakes under pressure.

Now I get that you could argue that our system is too reliant on performing under pressure with clean hands etc. but I just don't see it as skills are skills, and lapses are normally between the ears for whatever reason and not related to system.

I don't think we've been shown to be that far off tonight.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-08-2020, 01:29 AM
I still don't get how we could be as competitive as we were without any of our really good players having clearly good games.

Says to me our system/stucture was actually OK tonight, without being great and making the most of the tools we have to really be effective. I mean, it wasn't as if Hawkins ran riot and we were done out the back or whatever. Most of our issues seemed to be driven by mistakes under pressure.

Now I get that you could argue that our system is too reliant on performing under pressure with clean hands etc. but I just don't see it as skills are skills, and lapses are normally between the ears for whatever reason and not related to system.

I don't think we've been shown to be that far off tonight.

I really hope that's the product Bevo successfully sells to the group.
2021 looms large for all, who is going to lift as a result of this?
That's the big question.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 01:47 AM
I really hope that's the product Bevo successfully sells to the group.
2021 looms large for all, who is going to lift as a result of this?
That's the big question.

I'm still all in on 2020. We have shown we can compete against all but one of the credible top four aspirants we've faced to date with Richmond being the exception. We have WCE as our next game in nine days and I reckon we can get them and we can roll the Hawks and Fremantle.

Make no mistake, we are up to our eyeballs for a second or third week run into the finals this year.

EasternWest
29-08-2020, 02:04 AM
Yeah but you're not quite the masochist GG clearly is. :)

I'm here aren't I?

EasternWest
29-08-2020, 02:14 AM
Heads not buried, but no need to be antagonising.
I’m as frustrated as the next bloke but eating your own belongs to other club supporters.

The brass neck on you even saying that.

All I did was comment that despite the opinion of Dangerfield on this board, he was sensational tonight and we don't have that and and then you chimed in. Your smartarse, condescending response to my comment was the definition of antagonism. Then when you get called on it, you go looking for supporters to back you up.

Honestly I don't know whether to be appalled or impressed by your hide.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 02:16 AM
I'm here aren't I?

Look, it's a solid argument.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 02:17 AM
The brass neck on you even saying that.

All I did was comment that despite the opinion of Dangerfield on this board, he was sensational tonight and we don't have that and and then you chimed in. Your smartarse, condescending response to my comment was the definition of antagonism. Then when you get called on it, you go looking for supporters to back you up.

Honestly I don't know whether to be appalled or impressed by your hide.

I think you should definitely challenge KT31 to a duel.

Once you state someone is carrying a brass neck there's nothing else for it.

EasternWest
29-08-2020, 02:18 AM
I think you should definitely challenge KT31 to a duel.

No I like KT. Usually.

If I could duel anyone on here I'd go throwback and choose Chops.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 02:33 AM
No I like KT. Usually.

If I could dual anyone on here I'd go throwback and choose Chops.

Gold.

Sometimes we forget this is supposed to be fun.

FrediKanoute
29-08-2020, 02:36 AM
Ok. So I think for once the wine has made me cool my jets!
The 2nd Qtr was always on the cards. We failed to adjust, but Vandermeer pinging did not help.

JJ's miss can't be downplayed for it's significance, given Miers score right after got them well and truly going.

Bruce is really struggling. Big time.
Either of JJ or Bruce's shots go in, I think we survive.

We clearly looked cooked in the last. Two men down historically shows you're up against it. 2 down is almost a death knell.

It sucks to lose; for some reason, even more when it's against Geelong!

I just don't think we lose if Vandermeer and Wood don't go down. Speed and defensive cover gone. That's a steep hill to overcome...but folks, keep hanging it on Bevo....bollocks!!

Maybe the wine has tempered my anger away from the team; it's definitely bolstered my contempt for those who have a preordained narrative theyre trying to pin on Bevo.
Jog on!

I am with you - JJ miss in the 2nd and it is game over. Bruce scores in the 2nd and it is probably game over. So important to take your chances given what happens later in the game. despite this we hang on for 87 minutes and literally run out of puff. Vanders and Wood stay fit and we have just enough to get over the line.

I saw things out there tonight I really liked. I saw some things that were awful, but we just need to persist.

Vred
29-08-2020, 02:50 AM
I wont lie.
I went into the backyard, yelled *!*!*!*! as loud as possible, threw some BBQ tongs into the garden bed and probably slammed the back door so hard the lock is now *!*!*!*!ed.

Few hours later and I'm still feeling so frustrated by some of the plays we did because of spud players on our list.

I don't mind losing if we're playing like shit, but I *HATE* losing from a 40 points up position.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 02:54 AM
I wont lie.
I went into the backyard, yelled *!*!*!*! as loud as possible, threw some BBQ tongs into the garden bed and probably slammed the back door so hard the lock is now *!*!*!*!ed.

Few hours later and I'm still feeling so frustrated by some of the plays we did because of spud players on our list.

I don't mind losing if we're playing like shit, but I *HATE* losing from a 40 points up position.

Will some patronising words help at this stage?

Vred
29-08-2020, 02:56 AM
Will some patronising words help at this stage?

I don't think any words would fix how I feel about our MC and their braindead approtch to our team.

Bruce on a 4 year contract, why?
Dunkley in the ruck, why?
Gardner, why?
Cavarra would of probably given more than Dickson tonight
JJ is actually useless
Bont completely down again
Umpires are dog-shit tier
Misses on goal

Do I keep going?

jeemak
29-08-2020, 02:58 AM
I don't think any words would fix how I feel about our MC and their braindead approtch to our team.

Bruce on a 4 year contract, why?
Dunkley in the ruck, why?
Gardner, why?
Cavarra would of probably given more than Dickson tonight
JJ is actually useless
Bont completely down again
Umpires are dog-shit tier
Misses on goal

Do I keep going?

Absolutely you should, why not get it all out mate?

I'm after a complete mosaic of anger and destruction and I know you have it in you.

Vred
29-08-2020, 03:01 AM
Absolutely you should, why not get it all out mate?

I'm after a complete mosaic of anger and destruction and I know you have it in you.

Haha, maybe if you caught me directly after the game, I'm more calm now, just at disbelief mostly.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 03:18 AM
Haha, maybe if you caught me directly after the game, I'm more calm now, just at disbelief mostly.

Harvey Norman is going to have an issue with its home delivery in the western region after tonight, at least one additional day to have TVs delivered.

GVGjr
29-08-2020, 05:09 AM
That's remarkable. But flags are what matters. Last ten years we have 1 they have 1.

True enough but you have to admire that they put themselves in a good position most years.
How strong do you think our membership numbers might have been if we followed up the success of 2016 with top 5 finishes in 2017 and 18?

Mantis
29-08-2020, 08:11 AM
I am with you - JJ miss in the 2nd and it is game over. Bruce scores in the 2nd and it is probably game over. So important to take your chances given what happens later in the game. despite this we hang on for 87 minutes and literally run out of puff. Vanders and Wood stay fit and we have just enough to get over the line.

I saw things out there tonight I really liked. I saw some things that were awful, but we just need to persist.

Yep... the rotations in the end were 63 to 82... it makes a difference!

I’ve bashed this team & MC around the heads as much as anyone, but tonight was different.

We came up against the hottest team in the comp and we put them to the sword in the 1st qtr... like smoked them! We played the type of footy as we wanted to. Danger said they were coached to stop it and they couldn’t get near us. They re-adjusted at qtr time as very good and mature teams (they’re an old team!) do and gradually ate into our lead and over-ran us, but lots had the go there way to do so.

- we missed easy & crucial goals in the 2nd qtr.
- we had 2 players go off. One of who is quick and helps break the game open and the other a key member of the defence... losing them made a big difference.
- we got nothing from the umps. Bont was held at every contest, they threw the ball constantly.. we got a poor run.
- our forwardline was dysfunctional. Dickson is cooked. Wallis was horrible. Bruce & English worse.
- the ruck set-up was crap... it sort of worked a couple of times, but it needs to stop.
- our key players were off.. as bad a game as I’ve seen from Macrae (check out his AFL player rating score) and for Bont it was a quiet one, but effective one too.
- as others have mentioned we went into safe play mode when we had all the momentum and it hurt... that’s not our game.
- we made some crucial errors through the game. How much did fatigue play a part?

I’m not hanging us on that one, it sucks we lost, really sucks, but life is *!*!*!*!ing hard at present and I was as happy at qtr time as I’ve been for quite a while... sure it didn’t last as long as I’d have liked, but given where I had us pre-game in that I’d hope we’d not embarrass ourselves, to shit, we can make good sides look silly... well it means with some further refining we can get back to competing with the big boys on a consistent basis.

How we go against another really good side next week is going to be super interesting and I’m hoping we turn up ready to go again as we need to build on the good things that happened last night.. because that first qtr was exhilarating!

And if you’re still feeling shit just think that our key forward who puts a smile on our face is 20... how much fun is going to be watching him tear team’s to shreds when he figures it all out.

Up the dogs!

Hotdog60
29-08-2020, 08:25 AM
We under estimate the loss of Laitham Vandermeer. Yes his an in experienced player but the thing he brings to our side is leg speed which is something we don't have a lot of.
When he went down we had to shuffle the decks and players roles changed and this started a shift.
In the presser again Bevo said Sweet is not AFL ready but I think you bite the bullet and get some games into him could he be any worse than Bruce stinking it up in the forward line.

merantau
29-08-2020, 08:52 AM

Yes, I felt that too. One incident was red hot.

Grantysghost
29-08-2020, 09:03 AM
our key players were off.. as bad a game as I’ve seen from Macrae (check out his AFL player rating score) and for Bont it was a quiet one, but effective one too.

This one ?

https://i.postimg.cc/3JGHpW6s/6-F0935-E1-6323-46-A5-A2-A0-CC671-BDEE1-EA.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

azabob
29-08-2020, 09:09 AM
We have to make use of the bye and come out firing. Three games to go and we must win ALL of them. Do that and we go into the finals on a roll. Geelong are the best team at the moment and we could have won this game had we took our chances. We played two down and some of our best players were off the boil. Lose next game and it's season over. Let's Go Dogs!

We don’t really have a bye. Just a longer turn around. We play next Sunday.

Grantysghost
29-08-2020, 09:16 AM
True enough but you have to admire that they put themselves in a good position most years.
How strong do you think our membership numbers might have been if we followed up the success of 2016 with top 5 finishes in 2017 and 18?

I think historically we have a small supporter base. Similar to a lot of clubs that entered about the same time we did. North were very strong in the 90s, Saints were strong for a sustained period in the 2000s and they aren’t far off our numbers. Don’t get me wrong I’m with you, I’d rather be at the pointy end most seasons...but they do have an entire region backing them for memberships, and they are the only side in the league with a dedicated home ground who don’t have to travel every second week like the interstate sides. It’s the single biggest advantage in the AFL.
I’m impressed with what they’ve done under these circumstances so far this season. I feel dirty saying it.

Mantis
29-08-2020, 09:17 AM
This one ?

https://i.postimg.cc/3JGHpW6s/6-F0935-E1-6323-46-A5-A2-A0-CC671-BDEE1-EA.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I was referring to Macrae’s rating.... 26 touches and his rating was lower than Dickson who was awful.

azabob
29-08-2020, 09:26 AM
Oh we were gallant.

I suppose its change from "brave dogs"

The dogs media person used the thesaurus.

Grantysghost
29-08-2020, 09:30 AM
I was referring to Macrae’s rating.... 26 touches and his rating was lower than Dickson who was awful.

Yes I was surprised by it too, I looked it up after reading your post... he was quite ineffective according to their metrics. I also thought I could sneak in another headband gag. #oncetoomany

azabob
29-08-2020, 09:30 AM

In 2015 & 16 injuries didn’t matter to the coach. The mantra was one man out, one man in.

It is frustrating me that Bevo is now referencing injuries as an excuse.

Beveridge language needs to revert back to 2015/16.

No excuses, we just weren’t good enough.

Mantis
29-08-2020, 09:38 AM
In 2015 & 16 injuries didn’t matter to the coach. The mantra was one man out, one man in.

In game injuries are different though... we were severely limited with rotations last night and it hurt us.

With 6min to go we’re out of gas, they cut to the bench and we have Bruce & Dickson to choose from... like how are they going to help?

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 09:47 AM
In game injuries are different though... we were severely limited with rotations last night and it hurt us.

With 6min to go we’re out of gas, they cut to the bench and we have Bruce & Dickson to choose from... like how are they going to help?
I laugh-cried when they cut to that image.

comrade
29-08-2020, 09:51 AM
How’s the ranking points for Bruce. Ooof.

Grantysghost
29-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Current mood.

https://i.postimg.cc/d0J14gTj/1-C71482-B-482-D-4176-8-F01-08-D41-C54-B45-A.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

GVGjr
29-08-2020, 10:18 AM

2 injuries so early in a game is very difficult to overcome

But what if it was Lewis Young or Schache.......or Dale or Suckling sitting on the bench

EasternWest
29-08-2020, 10:21 AM

But what if it was Lewis Young or Schache.......or Dale or Suckling sitting on the bench

I'd have infinitely more faith in 3 of those four that they'd give us more than what Dickson or Bruce did.

And that is no disrespect to Dickson who's been a wonderful player for us but he looks a long way off it. Bruce just looks a long way off it, I actually feel sorry for him. I think he can play, but he doesn't look that fit and he is bereft of confidence.

Mantis
29-08-2020, 10:25 AM

It was more about the lack of run they could provide rather than the actual players.

Bulldog Revolution
29-08-2020, 10:26 AM
I'd have infinitely more faith in 3 of those four that they'd give us more than what Dickson or Bruce did.

And that is no disrespect to Dickson who's been a wonderful player for us but he looks a long way off it. Bruce just looks a long way off it, I actually feel sorry for him. I think he can play, but he doesn't look that fit and he is bereft of confidence.

We really could have used Dale in particular - who is a good decision maker up the group - Dale or Lipa but both need to be better in the contest and without the footy

Is there any chance English might lift a weight this summer?

GVGjr
29-08-2020, 10:27 AM
It was more about the lack of run they could provide rather than the actual players.

I do get that but the point I'm trying to highlight is that if you get the selections right and address the out of form Josh Bruce then the buffer might have been a bit better for us

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2020, 10:27 AM

I agree but last night it killed any chance as we had one too many passengers

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 10:29 AM

That's what was going through my mind right at the time. The injuries hurt, of course, but they were exacerbated by what they meant for the structure and who we then were relying on for real positive contributions.

DOG GOD
29-08-2020, 10:32 AM
After qtr time it was always going to happen. We played out of our skin, it I have no doubt the flatness of Geelong made that scorecard.

Yes it was great to see us run, carry, kick straight, play a very team orientated game plan, and we executed brilliantly, but Geelong allowed us to do that.

After qtr time, the Cats used their foot skills to take down our game plan. They became hungrier around the stoppages, and slowly eroded our lead.

You can look at it however you want but it was 100% the misses of JJ and Bruce that lost us the game. Kick those, and even Geelong in 4th gear, couldn’t have got past our lead.

Very disappointing...and the ruck situation? I’m over it.

Mantis
29-08-2020, 10:33 AM
I do get that but the point I'm trying to highlight is that if you get the selections right and address the out of form Josh Bruce then the buffer might have been a bit better for us

If they hadn’t completely cooked one of our best mids whilst leaving Bruce & English to rot up forward it may have helped too.

GVGjr
29-08-2020, 10:38 AM
If they hadn’t completely cooked one of our best mids whilst leaving Bruce & English to rot up forward it may have helped too.

Very true. Geelong have a different approach to us with their ruck set-up and we are pushing Dunkley to be something he shouldn't be

Grantysghost
29-08-2020, 11:12 AM
Very true. Geelong have a different approach to us with their ruck set-up and we are pushing Dunkley to be something he shouldn't be

The worrying part about that for me is the thought process behind it.
Short term thinking.
You might remember me from crazy propositions like Easton Wood as a forward or Lewis Young as a forward then a nowhere.
To think this crazy idea of Dunkley as a ruckman would somehow hit paydirt with k dirt against the cats because it was a winner against the lowly Demons really baffles me. Not the move, more the intrinsic thinking behind it which has been shown on a few occasions. Not Bevo bashing, but bevo bemused ? Does that work, I'm going with it.
Even the Tigers who used to use Grigg now have Soldo and Nankervis in the same team.
Sweet simply needs to get a chance.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2020, 11:16 AM
What has happened to the Josh Dunkley who polled Brownlow votes in 5 of the last 10 games last season? He has vanished into thin air. Even before the idiotic into the Ruck move he wasn't the same player. Even his early form before injury he wasn't the same player.

azabob
29-08-2020, 11:18 AM
What has happened to the Josh Dunkley who polled Brownlow votes in 5 of the last 10 games last season? He has vanished into thin air. Even before the idiotic into the Ruck move he wasn't the same player. Even his early form before injury he wasn't the same player.

Maybe coming back from a serious injury and then playing as a ruckman hasn’t exactly helped his cause.

SonofScray
29-08-2020, 11:19 AM
He's playing as our first ruck.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2020, 11:23 AM
He's playing as our first ruck.

It's a factor. No doubt. Just hasn't appeared to be the same player.

kruder
29-08-2020, 11:23 AM
I think we are making too much of the injuries too be honest, the game was lost in the second quarter when only Vander was down.

There is a two speed economy right now at the Bulldogs. We fell off the cliff in the second quarter, as we did last week against Melbourne, the pressure drops, the tackles slide, the midfield get out worked oh and yes Dunkley gets badly beaten in the ruck.

Are we just young? Are we fit enough? Are we still satisfied from 2016? Do we rely too much on Bevo's themes to motivate?

I cant wait until we can become a consistent top 4 side that you can trust week in week out. There is no doubt this list is capable, I just hope we don't waste the Bontempelli & Naughty era.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2020, 11:27 AM
Sliding door moment.

That JJ miss in the second quarter is massive. The Cats have adjusted at quarter time. This will get the game back on our terms. They are starting to dominate us. We then get a soft opportunity against the flow of the game. To go another goal down at that point in time would have been a confidence killer for the Cats and belief booster for the Dogs. That it quickly became a two goal turnaround made it even worse.

Similar moment in the 2016 Semi-Final against the Hawks at the MCG. Breust had a chance to kick a goal to put them five goals up. We had all the momentum at that point (but could not convert) but they kept kicking goals against the flow. If he kicks that and we drop our heads, lose our nerve. It's probably game over.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2020, 11:34 AM
Cats one of the oldest teams in the competition. Last night they were far more experienced and older than us even with Selwood and Ablett not playing.

Cats 27y7m
Dogs 25y4m

Games

Cats 136
Dogs 89

More than 150 games

Cats 10
Dogs 2

How do they keep refreshing? When are they going to collapse in a heap. I'm so over them.

Grantysghost
29-08-2020, 11:39 AM
Cats one of the oldest teams in the competition. Last night they were far more experienced and older than us even with Selwood and Ablett not playing.

Cats 27y7m
Dogs 25y4m

Games

Cats 136
Dogs 89

More than 150 games

Cats 10
Dogs 2

How do they keep refreshing? When are they going to collapse in a heap. I'm so over them.

I think they mentioned the ten most experienced players last night were cats. No team will win a flag with the human bath tub Jack Steven in their side.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2020, 11:53 AM
Watched the last two minutes again.

JJ. 1:12 left on the clock. Takes off just inside our D50. The ground is opening up. It looked like we could get out the back. Just had to have more game sense. Needed to kick it quicker or handball to the running Williams. That was another huge opportunity blown from him. (The fumble earlier in the last quarter when again it looked like we were out the back was another. Disappointing from one of your most experienced and highly paid players.)

azabob
29-08-2020, 11:59 AM

JJ. 1:12 left on the clock. Takes off just inside our D50. The ground is opening up. It looked like we could get out the back. Just had to have more game sense. Needed to kick it quicker or handball to the running Williams. That was another huge opportunity blown from him. (The fumble earlier in the last quarter when again it looked like we were out the back was another. Disappointing from one of your most experienced and highly paid players.)

JJ also deciding he’d rather not take a hit to the body than take a handball receive as we were running out of our D50 late in Q4 was also telling.

jeemak
29-08-2020, 01:10 PM
JJ also deciding he’d rather not take a hit to the body than take a handball receive as we were running out of our D50 late in Q4 was also telling.

Yeah I'm furious with him and want to say really nasty things about him.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2020, 06:43 PM
Yeah I'm furious with him and want to say really nasty things about him.

He's made it difficult to defend him this year hasn't he? More than a few moments where he's really shirked the contest.

mjp
30-08-2020, 02:44 PM

Yeah - sure...but that was NOT holding the ball....honestly.

If Crozier holds either of 2x 'almost' marks in the last quarter we win - both drops resulted in goals (the second one was the banana kicked by Dalhaus. Then if Hunter holds/stays on his man rather than coming in to (unnecessarily) confront Dalhaus we win...but he didn't, his opponent received and kicked to Hawkins on the lead...goal. The earlier handball - mentioned as the one JJ didn't take because he wanted to avoid contact - well, why would we give that? JJ was going to get smashed...we had the ball, running in space, facing the goals...why would you handball that to a player who would be killed if they received it?

Oh - and there was a clear deliberate oob by the Cats late in the game on the nearside (to camera) wing not paid and not mentioned buy the commentators...clear as day. If that is paid we win...

And if we could have actually kept the ball in our forward line for more than 2 seconds at a time in the last q we probably also win.

There is a lot of good commentary here but I think we may be losing sight of the fact that we played the team ranked #1 for both offense and defense right down to the wire and if the last quarter played out 10 times with a couple of different outcomes (Crozier holds those marks for example) I think the result falls our way 8/10 times...I know, I know, it didn't. And "good teams" win these games...but sometimes a lot of it is down to the bounce of the ball or the rub of the green and things didn't go our way late.

GVGjr
30-08-2020, 03:46 PM
There is a lot of good commentary here but I think we may be losing sight of the fact that we played the team ranked #1 for both offense and defense right down to the wire and if the last quarter played out 10 times with a couple of different outcomes (Crozier holds those marks for example) I think the result falls our way 8/10 times...I know, I know, it didn't. And "good teams" win these games...but sometimes a lot of it is down to the bounce of the ball or the rub of the green and things didn't go our way late.

Geelong have been a good team for a long period of time, what lessons can we learn from this?

mjp
30-08-2020, 04:55 PM
Geelong have been a good team for a long period of time, what lessons can we learn from this?

That they have maintained a strong core of senior players for a LOOOOONNNGGGGG time. Senior players who are true leaders, set high standards and insist that those come into the team uphold them. I am sure at some stage the likes of Selwood will retire...but I suspect that those who have followed behind him (and Taylor, and Hawkins et al) have learned what is required and how to do it.

Just like my "When you are no good you are no good" thread, the opposite also applies...eventually weight of talent (and numbers) takes a toll and short-cuts creep in, but until then...

Player leadership is the single most under-rated influencer in team performance in the AFL.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2020, 05:05 PM
That they have maintained a strong core of senior players for a LOOOOONNNGGGGG time. Senior players who are true leaders, set high standards and insist that those come into the team uphold them. I am sure at some stage the likes of Selwood will retire...but I suspect that those who have followed behind him (and Taylor, and Hawkins et al) have learned what is required and how to do it.

Just like my "When you are no good you are no good" thread, the opposite also applies...eventually weight of talent (and numbers) takes a toll and short-cuts creep in, but until then...

Player leadership is the single most under-rated influencer in team performance in the AFL.

Can we replicate with Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Smith, Naughton, Wallis Etc. who all have the right leadership attributes and have plenty of football in front of them?

mjp
30-08-2020, 05:53 PM
Can we replicate with Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Smith, Naughton, Wallis Etc. who all have the right leadership attributes and have plenty of football in front of them?

Well. The difference is the Geelong crew are WINNING games...our guys are reinforcing standards of inconsistent performance...

If the group could get it's act together we could. Performances like those over the past 3-6 weeks (depending on your perspective - I think we've been pretty good recently) are certainly a step in the right direction...

bornadog
30-08-2020, 06:27 PM
In a catchup meeting the other day, (Business group) Chris Grant said The Bont has been a fantastic leader not only on the ground but in the Hub. Apparently has impressed everyone. He will grow even more over the coming years, but we have to play consistent football and win games in order to get any advantage from it.

mjp
30-08-2020, 06:57 PM
In a catchup meeting the other day, (Business group) Chris Grant said The Bont has been a fantastic leader not only on the ground but in the Hub. Apparently has impressed everyone. He will grow even more over the coming years, but we have to play consistent football and win games in order to get any advantage from it.

But what does being a 'fantastic leader' actually look like? And does it matter how good a leader you are in 'the hub' or any other situation if it isn't translating into wins? Being a 'model' leader is one thing but it takes all kinds - some of the more successful leaders in the history of the game haven't always done things in a way that others would think are 'fantastic'...but the results were there at the end of the year. Others successful teams had a pretty high 'ratbag' quotient but they were guys who understood that there was a line that couldn't be crossed 'off the field' (but they would have been holy terrors in a hub situation) however they were critical to onfield success...

I don't know. It's Bont's first year as skip - expecting him to lead the way as we are seems a little silly to me.

GVGjr
30-08-2020, 07:09 PM
But what does being a 'fantastic leader' actually look like? And does it matter how good a leader you are in 'the hub' or any other situation if it isn't translating into wins? Being a 'model' leader is one thing but it takes all kinds - some of the more successful leaders in the history of the game haven't always done things in a way that others would think are 'fantastic'...but the results were there at the end of the year. Others successful teams had a pretty high 'ratbag' quotient but they were guys who understood that there was a line that couldn't be crossed 'off the field' (but they would have been holy terrors in a hub situation) however they were critical to onfield success...

I don't know. It's Bont's first year as skip - expecting him to lead the way as we are seems a little silly to me.

We all know he is a wonderful young man and he seems to have the players right behind him. He fronts up to the camera's and the media in a very professional manner and I'm sure he will continue to develop and grow into the role of leading the players. We need to put a good group around him. Does it mean he addresses players who aren't knuckling down or when they are being distracted?
Should a captain have a say in who gets selected or does he just lead the players picked on match day?
It's an interesting question you pose

Wins aren't necessarily the measure of how good a captain is, to me that is how you measure the footy department

mjp
30-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Wins aren't necessarily the measure of how good a captain is, to me that is how you measure the footy department

...and that's fair enough.

I guess I feel part of the clubs 'story' for the year is the ascension of Bont from great player to great captain...and we have actually no idea how he is going in that role. They keep telling us he's great. But I don't think we know what they mean by great. I feel there is a bit of unrest in the playing group (no evidence, just a 'feel' watching them, playing the body language doctor) and I just think something is missing. What? Who? I don't know. I can't help but think that one of the key 'leaders' (probably an unofficial one - leaders are players who the others follow, not the people in the leadership group) isn't playing and is causing some disquiet.

I suspect it is Trengove (and further suspect the continued selection of an underperforming Bruce isn't helping things) but again, this is me just watching and feeling that something isn't quite right...

As an aside, I think our form has been pretty good for 6-weeks or so now...pretty good byt still not quite what it could be.

comrade
30-08-2020, 07:29 PM

I guess I feel part of the clubs 'story' for the year is the ascension of Bont from great player to great captain...and we have actually no idea how he is going in that role. They keep telling us he's great. But I don't think we know what they mean by great. I feel there is a bit of unrest in the playing group (no evidence, just a 'feel' watching them, playing the body language doctor) and I just think something is missing. What? Who? I don't know. I can't help but think that one of the key 'leaders' (probably an unofficial one - leaders are players who the others follow, not the people in the leadership group) isn't playing and is causing some disquiet.

I suspect it is Trengove (and further suspect the continued selection of an underperforming Bruce isn't helping things) but again, this is me just watching and feeling that something isn't quite right...

As an aside, I think our form has been pretty good for 6-weeks or so now...pretty good byt still not quite what it could be.

I know, I know crystal ball etc, but do you think we'd have performed better if Trengove played instead of Bruce the last 6 weeks?

GVGjr
30-08-2020, 07:38 PM

Do you think there is a potential that Trengove and Bruce might be distractions for the group because one isn't being played and the other is out of form? To me they both seem like charismatic types and for Trengove I suspect he might have some coaching ambitions so I would imagine he is very likely to maintain his positive disposition with our playing group. Still not picking players on form doesn't send the best of messages to the group

We've done OK and a bit better than that, not brilliant but certainly not bad.

Grantysghost
30-08-2020, 08:17 PM
Do you think there is a potential that Trengove and Bruce might be distractions for the group because one isn't being played and the other is out of form? To me they both seem like charismatic types and for Trengove I suspect he might have some coaching ambitions so I would imagine he is very likely to maintain his positive disposition with our playing group. Still not picking players on form doesn't send the best of messages to the group

We've done OK and a bit better than that, not brilliant but certainly not bad.

Yes he does, was coaching or helping coach the PEGS girls last season, and definitely has the desire to coach at a higher level.
He was dropped from the leadership group wasn't he so I think what MJP says above could be possible.

Edit : He was coaching Strathmore senior women's in 2019.

GVGjr
30-08-2020, 08:56 PM
Yes he does, was coaching or helping coach the PEGS girls last season, and definitely has the desire to coach at a higher level.
He was dropped from the leadership group wasn't he so I think what MJP says above could be possible.

Edit : He was coaching Strathmore senior women's in 2019.

He's a natural for that and it's a shame that it probably won't be with us

GVGjr
31-08-2020, 12:56 PM
Coaches votes were

Western Bulldogs v Geelong Cats

10 – Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
6 – Lachie Hunter (WB)
4 – Jed Bews (Geel)
4 – Tom Stewart (Geel)
2 – Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
2 – Caleb Daniel (WB)
1 – Gary Rohan (Geel)
1 – Hayden Crozier (WB)

bornadog
31-08-2020, 01:26 PM
Coaches votes were

Western Bulldogs v Geelong Cats

10 – Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
6 – Lachie Hunter (WB)
4 – Jed Bews (Geel)
4 – Tom Stewart (Geel)
2 – Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
2 – Caleb Daniel (WB)
1 – Gary Rohan (Geel)
1 – Hayden Crozier (WB)

Don't know how Bont gets votes?

Mantis
31-08-2020, 02:56 PM

Why not?

He was held and scragged and almost every contest, but still was an influential player for us and I know who's game I preferred on Friday night between him & Macrae.

He doesn't need to get 25+ to be worthy of a vote and Bevo probably liked the way he dug in (he had 10 tackles) when things weren't going his way.

bornadog
31-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Why not?

He was held and scragged and almost every contest, but still was an influential player for us and I know who's game I preferred on Friday night between him & Macrae.

He doesn't need to get 25+ to be worthy of a vote and Bevo probably liked the way he dug in (he had 10 tackles) when things weren't going his way.

He had 3 disposals in the 1st and 2nd quarters, 2 in the third and 5 in the last. I thought others deserved a vote before him.

Grantysghost
31-08-2020, 03:48 PM

I was more surprised by Rohan. Didn't get a kick in the first half. (I think).