PDA

View Full Version : Likely retirements this year (all clubs)

Dry Rot
03-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Who's likely to retire this from all clubs?

Neitz would be close, ditto sadly West for us.

The Swans list isn't getting any younger and a few Crows are getting long in the tooth. Gehrig (again), Harvey and Hughston (sp?) for the Saints?

BulldogBelle
03-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Robert Harvey - you would have to think it will be his last year...but then again can he pull one more out of the bag?

West - has been asked this question a few times and his response is usually that he would like to play the 2009 season - guess it all depends on how he goes this season - but I can see West going on next year.

Last year was the biggest group of retirees I have seen in a long time so many of the stars bowing out of the game. Doubt we will see that happen again for a quite a long time.

hujsh
03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Everitt

LostDoggy
03-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Wayde Skipper and Andrew Mcdougall

LostDoggy
03-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Biglands career would be in doubt after suffering another knee re-con at the age of 31.

aker39
03-03-2008, 02:29 PM

Hey Jerry, go and **** yourself

Sockeye Salmon
03-03-2008, 02:46 PM

How predictable.

Mantis
03-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Robert Harvey - you would have to think it will be his last year...but then again can he pull one more out of the bag?

West - has been asked this question a few times and his response is usually that he would like to play the 2009 season - guess it all depends on how he goes this season - but I can see West going on next year.

Last year was the biggest group of retirees I have seen in a long time so many of the stars bowing out of the game. Doubt we will see that happen again for a quite a long time.

Watched a bit of him the other night and he looks to have gone on for 1 year to many. Hopefully he can find his feet because he looked out of place on Friday.

LostDoggy
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM

Ok, Peter Bell, Shaun Mcmanus, Robert Harvey....yawn

aker39
03-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Watched a bit of him the other night and he looks to have gone on for 1 year to many. Hopefully he can find his feet because he looked out of place on Friday.

Dermie agrees with you

LostDoggy
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Dermie agrees with you

At least Harvey hasnt sold his soul by ripping off Sydney and Collingwood

Mantis
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Dermie agrees with you

Just read in the paper that piece.

Fair enough too, Harv's has been a great player, but at some point his body had to slow down. Let's hope that if he can't find some form he gives it away rather than just torturing himself trying to keep up.

Dry Rot
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Initially I thought that you didn't know the difference between a retirement and a delisting.

But clearly you do, even if it bores you.

Ok, Peter Bell, Shaun Mcmanus, Robert Harvey....yawn

Please do not make irrelevant, pointless or unexplained negative posts here anymore.

Thanks.

Bulldog Revolution
03-03-2008, 07:23 PM

Far too early to make that call

Practice games for him must be somewhat boring to Harvey and really just an opportunity to have a run around and build some fitness.

And surely St Kilda would not want Harvey to play his best footy in the pre-season. They'll want him ready for crunch time and you'd expect his program would have been developed with that in mine.

Mantis
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Far too early to make that call

Practice games for him must be somewhat boring to Harvey and really just an opportunity to have a run around and build some fitness.

And surely St Kilda would not want Harvey to play his best footy in the pre-season. They'll want him ready for crunch time and you'd expect his program would have been developed with that in mine.

Yeah in hindsight it might be, but he is 36 and it wont take a lot for him to lose his edge, not that he has lost it.

Unfortunately with the media attention that was created this morning there will be plenty of eyes watching Harvey start his 21st year of AFL (which is an amazing effort in itself) for the wrong reasons.

I hope he goes well, but I think he may struggle... but only time will tell.

Scorlibo
03-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Richardson, O'Loughlin, Tredrea, Crawford, Burns.

LostDoggy
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Richardson, O'Loughlin, Tredrea, Crawford, Burns.

Good bunch of players there. What a champion player M. Richardson has been over many years

FrediKanoute
03-03-2008, 10:35 PM

On what basis? If Skip continues in 2008 the way he finished off 2007 then its unlikely that he will "retire". As for Doogs, from what I saw against Essendon he is likely to continue on in 2009.

LostDoggy
03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
On what basis? If Skip continues in 2008 the way he finished off 2007 then its unlikely that he will "retire". As for Doogs, from what I saw against Essendon he is likely to continue on in 2009.

Your right, he did look good against LUcas.( 3 super goals and a heap of marks ,Best on ground performance)

bornadog
04-03-2008, 05:00 PM
[/B]

Your right, he did look good against LUcas.( 3 super goals and a heap of marks ,Best on ground performance)

JERRY!!!!!!

LostDoggy
04-03-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't think there will be a lot of retirements, '07 lost most of the potential retirees so there's not a whole lot left that would be definite retirees. Robert Harvey you'd have to think would retire, I'd think Gehrig would too, but I'd wait a while after if he did to see if it was sticking...Everitt looks likely too, but there's still a whole season to go before we can measure how they'd go.

I'm hoping Westy can go on in 2009.

westdog54
05-03-2008, 05:03 PM
[/B]

Jerry, I've holding back from saying this, but...

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE GROW UP!!!!!!!

Dancin' Douggy
05-03-2008, 09:36 PM

OK you bozos. Let's get real about Wayde Skipper. And this is for everyone who thinks he might be our forward saviour and those who think he's "shown some positive signs". Those who are holding their breath waiting for him to "step up this year".

Skipper was drafted in 2000. Some other players drafted that year?

Nick Riewoldt. 134 games 255 goals
Alan Didak. 120 games 171 goals
Shaun Burgoyne 129 games 144 goals
Daniel Kerr 144 games 84 goals
Adam Mcphee 126 games 58 goals
Jordan Mcmahon 114 games 37 goals
Graham Johncock 126 games 82 goals.

WAYDE SKIPPER 44 GAMES 19 GOALS.

Nobody expects Wayde to be a Riewoldt but guys from that draft have either made it by now or they're gone.
If you've been holding your breath for SEVEN YEARS!!!!!!! maybe not enough oxygen is getting to your brain. I hope this analysis is not too simplistic, but I'd rather have Chris on the list than Wayde.

hujsh
05-03-2008, 10:13 PM
OK you bozos. Let's get real about Wayde Skipper. And this is for everyone who thinks he might be our forward saviour and those who think he's "shown some positive signs". Those who are holding their breath waiting for him to "step up this year".

Skipper was drafted in 2000. Some other players drafted that year?

Nick Riewoldt. 134 games 255 goals
Alan Didak. 120 games 171 goals
Shaun Burgoyne 129 games 144 goals
Daniel Kerr 144 games 84 goals
Adam Mcphee 126 games 58 goals
Jordan Mcmahon 114 games 37 goals
Graham Johncock 126 games 82 goals.

WAYDE SKIPPER 44 GAMES 19 GOALS.

Nobody expects Wayde to be a Riewoldt but guys from that draft have either made it by now or they're gone.
If you've been holding your breath for SEVEN YEARS!!!!!!! maybe not enough oxygen is getting to your brain. I hope this analysis is not too simplistic, but I'd rather have Chris on the list than Wayde.

Your joking right. He has a year to prove himself. This isn't the who will be delisted thread. It's who will retire.

He has always been a long term player who would take longer than the top picks. He may well be delisted but he could also be a regular player for us for many years. NOT A SAVIOR.

We need a solid contributor up there who's 190cm+.

LostDoggy
05-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Your joking right. He has a year to prove himself. This isn't the who will be delisted thread. It's who will retire.

He has always been a long term player who would take longer than the top picks. He may well be delisted but he could also be a regular player for us for many years. NOT A SAVIOR.

We need a solid contributor up there who's 190cm+.

I think thats Dancin douggy's point. We do need a solid contribution from Wayde, its TIME to deliver.

Dancin' Douggy
05-03-2008, 10:41 PM
If I could start my own thread about Skipper I would. I can only respond to discussions as they come up. What part of my post makes you think I'm joking? Long term Player??????? LONG TERM??????????
How long is long term? 7,8,9 years??? of development? We definitely need a solid contributor up there who's 190cm+ but it will never ever be Wayde Skipper. One good quarter in 7 years.

LostDoggy
05-03-2008, 10:53 PM
If I could start my own thread about Skipper I would. I can only respond to discussions as they come up. What part of my post makes you think I'm joking? Long term Player??????? LONG TERM??????????
How long is long term? 7,8,9 years??? of development? We definitely need a solid contributor up there who's 190cm+ but it will never ever be Wayde Skipper. One good quarter in 7 years.

If you and Jerry want to write crap and derail threads then p off to BF.

Dancin' Douggy
05-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey come on Ernie, I'm only following the thread. These 2 guys are at each others throats about Skipper. I'm putting some solid stats on the table. Do you think my post was all crap?

LostDoggy
05-03-2008, 11:15 PM
If you and Jerry want to write crap and derail threads then p off to BF.

Come on Ernie, its only footy. It was half tongue in cheek, but i wouldnt be suprised to see Doogs and maybe Skipper retire after 08.

hujsh
05-03-2008, 11:56 PM

Who says you can't start a thread?

How can you chose to compare Skipper with Nick Riewoldt, Alan Didak, Shaun Burgoyne, Daniel Kerr,Adam Mcphee, and Graham Johncock. Comparing someone we want service out of with some of the classiest players in the AFL is not fair to him.

You've claimed we think he will be a forward savior. That is a joke.

He's 24 so he could have 7 or more years in him. If he at least becomes dangerous and does better that Minson and Wight then we would likely keep him. 25-30 goals at least makes him useful for if say Jarryd Grant plays a match. If you don't think he can do that then fine but don't insult us.

hujsh
05-03-2008, 11:57 PM
I think thats Dancin douggy's point. We do need a solid contribution from Wayde, its TIME to deliver.

I agree but i doubt that is his point.

Bulldog Revolution
06-03-2008, 01:20 AM
He's 24 so he could have 7 or more years in him. If he at least becomes dangerous and does better that Minson and Wight then we would likely keep him. 25-30 goals at least makes him useful for if say Jarryd Grant plays a match. If you don't think he can do that then fine but don't insult us.

Big guys do take longer to develop and Skipper really has seemed to respond to Eade. In some ways its a real shame he made such slow progress the first 3 years he was on the list. The past two off seasons appear to have been the best of his career. I thought during a very difficult 2007 where he did not get to play seniors until late in the year, he made every post a winner in his appearances, and I really respected the contribution he made.

Even though he hasn't run yet post the foot injury talks are that he is in very good nick.

I dont expect him to become something he is not, but if he can get his aerobic fitness up and improve his second efforts we know that he is already a fine kick, a handy backup ruckman with the ability to palm the ball deftly.

Its up to him, but he is a guy with a few positives

Dancin' Douggy
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=hujsh;27579]Who says you can't start a thread?

How can you chose to compare Skipper with Nick Riewoldt, Alan Didak, Shaun Burgoyne, Daniel Kerr,Adam Mcphee, and Graham Johncock. Comparing someone we want service out of with some of the classiest players in the AFL is not fair to him.

You're right. comparing Wayde Skipper to good players is unfair. I apologise
;)

hujsh
06-03-2008, 04:58 PM
You're right. comparing Wayde Skipper to good players is unfair. I apologise
;)

Ok lol. But they really are the cream

Bulldog Revolution
06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Ok lol. But they really are the cream

Probably Guy Richards who was selected in the same draft late is the fairest comparison

LostDoggy
06-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Probably Guy Richards who was selected in the same draft late is the fairest comparison

Guy Richards the bench mark? I know what you mean, but Wayde wouldnt of last 7yrs at West Coast. Maybe thats why its been 54 yrs

Dancin' Douggy
06-03-2008, 10:32 PM
OK. The point I'm trying to make is that players drafted in 2000 have either made it by now or they are delisted. All players I named are from the same draft. If Skip was drafted by any other team I doubt he would still be on their senior list.
Let's compare him to the next rung down of the cream from the 2000 draft. I'm certainly not over impressed with the following............

Kayne Pettifer 103 games 123 goals
Simon Wiggins 89 games 20 goals
Drew Petrie 131 games 111 goals
Luke Ablett 98 games 28 goals
Chris Hyde 82 games 31 goals

These are hardly the cream but they all are light years ahead of skipper as far as tangible contributions go. I mean even Simon Wiggins has played more than twice the number of games. How many dogs supporters would be happy if we traded for Simon Wiggins? It would take a miraculous transformation after years of mediocrity for Skipper to contribute anything to our cause, and history says miraculous transformations are very very rare. As a passionate member I would be over the moon if Skipper turned it on, and I'm not one to yell abuse from the stands, but surely we're allowed open analysis on woof?

P.S. I've received messages about starting new posts but for some reason I just can't get them to open.
I'm on a mac if that explains anything

GVGjr
06-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Guy Richards the bench mark? I know what you mean, but Wayde wouldnt of last 7yrs at West Coast. Maybe thats why its been 54 yrs

How long was Josh Wooden maintained on the list?
Like it or not, we had injury problems with Minson and Street and Darcy was well down on form. Skipper wasn't a bad option as a support ruckman.
Now that we heave a healthy Minson and Street plus Hudson, Skipper needs to make it on his ability to play a key position. It will be his last season at the club if he doesn't.

LostDoggy
06-03-2008, 11:44 PM
How long was Josh Wooden maintained on the list?
Like it or not, we had injury problems with Minson and Street and Darcy was well down on form. Skipper wasn't a bad option as a support ruckman.
Now that we heave a healthy Minson and Street plus Hudson, Skipper needs to make it on his ability to play a key position. It will be his last season at the club if he doesn't.

Josh Wooden wasnt a bad player. Everytime they bought him in he did a good job. Hard to get a regular gig in the WCE midfield (Kemp, matera, cousins,judd,kerr etc). He wouldnt be far behind Matthew Boyd as a player.
The thing about Skipper is when he gets a game he cant be relied on. Even the game when he kicked 5 against Geelong, he only took one decent mark. The other goals were bumbling or 'lucky' goals. Dont get me wrong, i would love to see Wayde play consistent AFL, but i think its beyond him

Sockeye Salmon
07-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Josh Wooden wasnt a bad player. Everytime they bought him in he did a good job. Hard to get a regular gig in the WCE midfield (Kemp, matera, cousins,judd,kerr etc). He wouldnt be far behind Matthew Boyd as a player.
The thing about Skipper is when he gets a game he cant be relied on. Even the game when he kicked 5 against Geelong, he only took one decent mark. The other goals were bumbling or 'lucky' goals. Dont get me wrong, i would love to see Wayde play consistent AFL, but i think its beyond him

You are comparing Josh Wooden with Matthew Boyd?

**** off.

LostDoggy
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
You are comparing Josh Wooden with Matthew Boyd?

**** off.

Boyd is no star. Good honest player. Wooden wasnt a hack, he was an honest tryer. I said he wasnt far behind Boyd. I think thats a fair assessment
You disagree?

LostDoggy
07-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Sadly i think Lloyd might hang up the boots. The last of the traditional Full Forwards.

GVGjr
07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Boyd is no star. Good honest player. Wooden wasnt a hack, he was an honest tryer. I said he wasnt far behind Boyd. I think thats a fair assessment
You disagree?

Boyd a bit better than a good honest player but Wooden was a fair few steps behind him.

Bulldog Revolution
08-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Boyd a bit better than a good honest player but Wooden was a fair few steps behind him.

I would have thought Boyd was a better player than Wooden, although I was surprised to see Wooden played 96 games for them

West Coast persisted with Wooden, Callum Chambers and Jaxon Crabb for many years.