PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 18 Vs Fremantle Dockers 2020

Scraggers
17-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 17 match against Hawthorn for our Round 18, 2020 match against the Fremantle Dockers on Sunday at Cazaly Stadium?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
13-09-2020, 06:35 PM
Bump

Hotdog60
13-09-2020, 07:24 PM
Hard one to call this week.

Out: Mclean

In: Wood

I don't think we will remove any others unless they don't come up fitness wise.

josie
13-09-2020, 07:33 PM
Suckling I thought was poor albeit he played in forward half which is not his best position but not sure who else we could replace him with and guessing Bevo will go for consistency. Perhaps Lipinski in for Maclean?

Would be worried about having 3 older players all back from injuries (even though Dureya & Suckling played today) if Wood brought back in.

Roarke did ok today. Gardner did well I thought. Personally I’d replace Richards but Bevo has given him leeway all year so do not see that happening.

azabob
13-09-2020, 07:33 PM
Hard one to call this week.

Out: Mclean

In: Wood

I don't think we will remove any others unless they don't come up fitness wise.

It’s going to be interesting.

But only that change makes us very very thin in the midfield rotations.

bornadog
13-09-2020, 07:35 PM

We don't have any other mids?

Hotdog60
13-09-2020, 07:35 PM
I don't know much about ACL's but the footage of Mclean in the change rooms looked like he was walking ok with no limp.
Hopefully it may just be a ligament strain.

comrade
13-09-2020, 07:36 PM
Out: McLean, Suckling
In: Lipinski, Wood

Mantis
13-09-2020, 07:37 PM

And very heavy for defenders.. we saw today that we played JJ & Daniel up forward as we added Duyrea to the defensive group (maybe as a result of the injury to McLean too) so I’m not sure adding Wood in, without replacing a defender is a sound option.

azabob
13-09-2020, 07:37 PM
We don't have any other mids?

What do you mean?
Hotdog made one change a defender for a mid, I think only making that one change leaves our midfield thin.

bornadog
13-09-2020, 07:38 PM
What do you mean?
Hotdog made one change a defender for a mid, I think only making that one change leaves our midfield thin.

You said we need another mid, and I said we don't have any? However, forgot about Lippa.

comrade
13-09-2020, 07:40 PM
And very heavy for defenders.. we saw today that we played JJ & Daniel up forward as we added Duyrea to the defensive group (maybe as a result of the injury to McLean too) so I’m not sure adding Wood in, without replacing a defender is a sound option.

Yeah, I’m concerned about that. I really think only one of Wood and Cordy can play, and had Cordy in the gun at half time but his second half was better.

Hotdog60
13-09-2020, 07:41 PM
I said Wood because if his right he'll most likely be an automatic inclusion.
Don't forget the ball of muscle is waiting in the wings. :D

azabob
13-09-2020, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I’m concerned about that. I really think only one of Wood and Cordy can play, and had Cordy in the gun at half time but his second half was better.

I think your changes are needed, but not quiet right team balance wise.

Afraid to say Suckling was a lot like Dickson a week or so back.

GVGjr
13-09-2020, 07:43 PM
You said we need another mid, and I said we don't have any? However, forgot about Lippa.

Hayes, Garcia and Porter quickly spring to mind as well as Lipinski. Could we move Williams to the midfield for a game?

azabob
13-09-2020, 07:47 PM
Could Roarke Smith take over Toby McLeans role as the defensive midfielder?

bornadog
13-09-2020, 07:47 PM
Hayes, Garcia and Porter quickly spring to mind as well as Lipinski. Could we move Williams to the midfield for a game?

No to Hayes, Garcia, Porter or Williams to midfield. Now is not the time to experiment or bring in new players.

As I mentioned after that post, Lippa is the most likely to replace Mclean

comrade
13-09-2020, 07:52 PM
I think your changes are needed, but not quiet right team balance wise.

Afraid to say Suckling was a lot like Dickson a week or so back.

To be fair to Suckers, he’s just not suited to playing inside 50 and I’m not sure why we’re persisting. Surely Dale or Cavarra would be better options?

Doc26
13-09-2020, 07:56 PM
If Wood tests Ok.

Out: Maclean (Inj), Suckling (Omitted)

azabob
13-09-2020, 07:56 PM
To be fair to Suckers, he’s just not suited to playing inside 50 and I’m not sure why we’re persisting. Surely Dale or Cavarra would be better options?

I agree Dale would be better. For mine though, I forget how infuriating Dale can be, but he does hit the scoreboard and can play up the ground.

bornadog
13-09-2020, 08:23 PM
If Wood tests Ok.

Out: Maclean (Inj), Suckling (Omitted)

That would be my changes as well

mjp
13-09-2020, 08:25 PM
That would be my changes as well

Suckling’s first game back?

Shouldn’t we take the “he’ll be better for the run” approach?

kruder
13-09-2020, 08:30 PM

Would we bring Hayes back in to play on the bench?

Grantysghost
All of the games at Cazaly are absolute slogs this season. Slippery, almost wet weather all the time. How important is Caleb going to be. If I were Freo I'd run a player with him.
I'd almost bring in Gowers. Skills are not going to matter, big bodies are. So ... I'm getting nervous typing it....I'll press send and turn off my phone...however....

Out : Mclean
In : Gowers

Or West.

Bye.

The Bulldogs Bite
Given the importance of this game I fully expect Garcia to play.

In all seriousness, what was Roarkes role today if it was a defender, he goes for Wood. If Roarke is playing wing or can take on Toby's role he probably stays and I'd bring in Dale.

bornadog
13-09-2020, 08:31 PM

Yeah, I know but for an experienced player should have done better and I would prefer Wood next week.

kruder
13-09-2020, 08:34 PM
Wood, Cordy,Keath,Gardner in the one backline? Not so sure, some interesting decisions for the match committee.

We desperately need some intercept making though, continue to give forwards a second chance draw at ground level.

Lippa a lock for Mclean.

Doc26
13-09-2020, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I know but for an experienced player should have done better and I would prefer Wood next week.

I tend to agree as well BD. I thought Duryea showed enough to be pleased with off a long absence, but with Suckling I’m not so sure about the ‘better for the run’ idea applies when the performance is pretty much consistent with what he’s displayed through the season.

bornadog
13-09-2020, 09:48 PM
I tend to agree as well BD. I thought Duryea showed enough to be pleased with off a long absence, but with Suckling I’m not so sure about the ‘better for the run’ idea applies when the performance is pretty much consistent with what he’s displayed through the season.

Hasn't been a good season for Suckers

Bulldog4life
13-09-2020, 10:50 PM
Given the importance of this game I fully expect Garcia to play.

In all seriousness, what was Roarkes role today if it was a defender, he goes for Wood. If Roarke is playing wing or can take on Toby's role he probably stays and I'd bring in Dale.

I think Roarke started on the wing

jeemak
14-09-2020, 12:29 AM
I don't know much about ACL's but the footage of Mclean in the change rooms looked like he was walking ok with no limp.
Hopefully it may just be a ligament strain.

Once they're done and the initial pain subsides you can walk on them. It's actually more comfortable if they clean tear.

jeemak
14-09-2020, 12:37 AM

Thanks for saving me the effort. It wasn't a Dickson type welcome back, and we're not baying for Duryea's blood when he was equally poor a lot of the time.

The Adelaide Connection
14-09-2020, 01:20 AM

I mentioned in another thread: I am not sure if this showed in the broadcast, but I was surprised to see how hard Suckling was running and leading, burning off opponents in the process. He wasn’t used a lot of the time but it opened up space and other options. I think he game was much better than the stat sheet shows.

He should have had one over the top when Bruce marked near the middle of the ground. He torched two defenders and should have got a long ball out the back.

Just looked it up- he had 16 sprint efforts (third highest on the ground).

Vred
14-09-2020, 02:41 AM
Can Greene get a game at all? Or are we saving him for the finals run?

1eyedog
14-09-2020, 08:53 AM

Every club needs a whipping boy.

GVGjr
14-09-2020, 08:58 AM
Out McLean
In Lipinski

dog town
14-09-2020, 10:01 AM
Out McLean
In Lipinski
If Wood is fit would be great to get a game into him. Not sure it’s been picked up by many but his role had changed in the last month or so before he got injured and he was doing good jobs on types of players who historically trouble us.

Mofra
14-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Every club needs a whipping boy.
Ryan Gardner has that spot sewn up for us.
If he walked on water some fans would want him dropped for being anti-fish.

comrade
14-09-2020, 10:22 AM

I've turned the corner on Gardner, his last 4 weeks have been solid and lord knows we desperately need a tall, athletic defender so why not hold out some hope and see if he's the one?

In regards to Suckling, he isn't a forward, has never been a forward, so why are we shoehorning him into that role when it didn't work earlier in the year prior to injury. We're about to embark on another final campaign, the lack of stability in our forward line is a huge concern.

Yeah, he may have been burnt a few times today when free but is there a chance our players higher up the ground aren't even looking for him, or don't trust him as a forward. Because you know, he isn't one.

If you have the option of Bruce, Naughton, Wallis or Suckling, human nature dictates that you're going to go with the predictable option, i.e. a permanent forward. Especially with the lack of quality decision making when kicking inside 50.

TLDR: play forwards forward.

Ozza
14-09-2020, 10:36 AM
I'd only change Lipinski for McLean.

Like what Roarke has brought to the side recently. Is pretty assured with ball in hand. Is getting forward and getting some shots on goal, and his athleticism helps in the air. I actually think he has pretty good footy instincts too, there's been some occasions where there's been a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 scenario, where he'll avoid taking possession but rather knock the ball to the advantage of a team mate and put the block on to give his team mate space.

As for Suckling, didn't get that many opportunities, but assume he'll be better for the run. Is exactly the sort of player that might kick you a 'half chance' goal in a low scoring game if the conditions are what you'd expect. Can also play forward, back or on a wing.

GVGjr
14-09-2020, 10:47 AM
If Wood is fit would be great to get a game into him. Not sure it’s been picked up by many but his role had changed in the last month or so before he got injured and he was doing good jobs on types of players who historically trouble us.

I'm not a fan of what Wood brings us but I do understand that he is an automatic inclusion if available.
Who would be his match-up against Fremantle?

GVGjr
14-09-2020, 10:49 AM

I would have thought Gowers has copped it worse than Gardner and a couple of others have copped the fat shaming focus.
Many are warming towards Gardner

The Pie Man
14-09-2020, 10:50 AM
I'm not a fan of what Wood brings us but I do understand that he is an automatic inclusion if available.
Who would be his match-up against Fremantle?

Walters?

GVGjr
14-09-2020, 10:50 AM
Walters?

Would he have a bit too much pace for Woody?

The Pie Man
14-09-2020, 10:52 AM

Could’ve argued the same point for Cameron, but he was excellent on Charlie

GVGjr
14-09-2020, 10:55 AM
Could’ve argued the same point for Cameron, but he was excellent on Charlie

Great point

Ozza
14-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Walters may have more agility - but I'd be surprised if Woody wasn't faster than Walters in straight line running.

dog town
14-09-2020, 11:18 AM
Great point
This is why I would want him in. Was doing well in these roles before injury. Got De Goey/Butler and others potentially as match ups in week 1 as well.

Williams has been awful defensively (gives up goal side and over commits) the last couple of weeks and Crozier has leaked goals since he returned from injury minus the offensive impact. We need other options, Gary Rohan for example would not have done what he did if Wood was an option.

mjp
14-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Williams has been awful defensively (gives up goal side and over commits) the last couple of weeks and Crozier has leaked goals since he returned from injury minus the offensive impact.

Well...Bailey Smith was simply terrible when caught out deep vs Hawthorn and Lachie Hunter was possibly worse.

I am really unsure what we are asking them to do in D50 right now - the defenders don't seem to know, the mids 100% don't know...

Are we really making it all about i50 numbers and 'trying to score'?

(Yes, I know how stupid this sounds given we have basically stopped the opposition scoring for 10 out of the past 12 quarters (Geelong q4 and Haw q3).

Bumper Bulldogs
14-09-2020, 10:06 PM
I like the concept of West coming in for McClean. The conditions are set for West Jr or Senior.

I like others would replace Suckers for Wood. Greasy humidity is not going to suit Matt at all.

Then it comes down to Lippinski for R Smith. But i can’t see Bevo making three changes to a winning side. I on the other hand would go with three because if we loose it’s season over for us.

GVGjr
14-09-2020, 10:08 PM
I like the concept of West coming in for McClean. The conditions are set for West Jr or Senior.

I like others would replace Suckers for Wood. Greasy humidity is not going to suit Matt at all.

Then it comes down to Lippinski for R Smith. But i can’t see Bevo making three changes to a winning side. I on the other hand would go with three because if we loose it’s season over for us.

He's still a couple of weeks away with a groin injury

Bumper Bulldogs
14-09-2020, 10:11 PM
He's still a couple of weeks away with a groin injury

Bugger. Oh well. Let’s bring his dad back for a run. He still looks in good Nic

ReLoad
15-09-2020, 09:45 AM
Bugger. Oh well. Let’s bring his dad back for a run. He still looks in good Nic

Saw him at school pickup back in Feb he still looked in great shape! One of his kids is in the same class as one of mine, i always fanboy like crazy. Ive never seen anyone as committed to the footy as he was.

Jeanette54
15-09-2020, 02:18 PM
Ive never seen anyone as committed to the footy as he was.

Rhylee didn't fall too far from the tree where that is concerned.

Axe Man
16-09-2020, 05:13 PM
Western Bulldogs are likely to recall Pat Lipinski and premiership captain Easton Wood for Sunday night’s finals-shaper against Fremantle in Cairns.

The Bulldogs are arguably the AFL’s form team on the cusp of the finals and Wood only needs to train again on Friday to show he has overcome a hamstring strain, while Lipinski is favoured to replace Toby McLean (knee).

But the selection squeeze is on with no obvious candidate for the second omission due to the Dogs’ even spread of contributors.

The Bulldogs have 40 healthy players and it is likely that match committee will ultimately end up considering whether Matthew Suckling or Ed Richards should make way for Wood.

The Bulldogs sacked operations manager Ben Graham this week due to the reduced soft cap although Graham has remained in the hub and is set to see out the season.

Over the past five rounds the Bulldogs are 4-1, with their sole loss coming against Geelong in a game they led by 37 points during the second quarter.

From Rounds 12-17 the Dogs are also ranked No.1 for points (75.4), No.1 for points from stoppages (35.8), No.2 for inside 50 differential (+9.4), No.2 for contested possession differential (+13.6) and No.2 for clearance differential (+5.6).

There are green lights everywhere for coach Luke Beveridge’s team and the dominance is stemming from a midfield that is flying.

The charge took off when Beveridge’s pre-game boxing theme – where he showed black and white footage of the 1958 light-heavyweight championship fight – helped inspire his players against Melbourne.

Little man Caleb Daniel is in line for All-Australian selection while Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae and Bailey Smith will also be considered by selectors when they select the squad.

But the Dogs must down the Dockers to sew up a place in an elimination final.

Cairns has also thrown up some funky results with Melbourne dropping games against Sydney and Fremantle in driving rain and strong winds at Cazaly’s Stadium.

Mitch Wallis – who has been reborn as a high-marking forward in one of the coaching moves of the season – will celebrate his 150th match.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-teams-who-is-in-and-who-is-out-for-round-17-of-the-2020-afl-season/news-story/3aa909e2900852cc393cf347ddca3205)

bornadog
16-09-2020, 05:51 PM
I would prefer Ed over Roarke or Suckling

bulldogsthru&thru
16-09-2020, 05:54 PM
What’s with the random Ben Graham mention?

Oh i see it’s the herald sun

1eyedog
16-09-2020, 08:31 PM

I thought it was strange as well. Felt cut and pasted and didn't fit the narrative (which was noticably lacking anyway). High flying Mitch Wallis?

Bulldog Joe
16-09-2020, 08:35 PM
I thought it was strange as well. Felt cut and pasted and didn't fit the narrative (which was noticably lacking anyway). High flying Mitch Wallis?

When Mitch is flying high the whole team is flying ....because they would be in a plane.

jeemak
16-09-2020, 09:41 PM

Even I can still get off the ground better than Mitch can! Some interesting actual statistics in that article though.

As for selection I'd be inclined to bring in Wood for Smith and have Duryea play the Smith role. It's a shame for Roarke as he's been pretty solid the past couple of weeks and deserves his spot.

azabob
17-09-2020, 09:28 AM
Even I can still get off the ground better than Mitch can! Some interesting actual statistics in that article though.

As for selection I'd be inclined to bring in Wood for Smith and have Duryea play the Smith role. It's a shame for Roarke as he's been pretty solid the past couple of weeks and deserves his spot.

Does Duryea have the tank and match fitness to play wing?

I'd look to Roarke Smith to play a Toby McLeans role of defensive stopper.

Bulldog4life
17-09-2020, 02:17 PM
I think Lippa for McLean will be on the money. Woody will come in according to all reports. Whoever drops out will be unlucky. Could it be either Cordy or Gardner and Wood plays tall? Difficult decision.

mjp
17-09-2020, 02:27 PM
I think Lippa for McLean will be on the money. Woody will come in according to all reports. Whoever drops out will be unlucky. Could it be either Cordy or Gardner and Wood plays tall? Difficult decision.

So...who does Wood take out of Lobb, Hogan and Taberner?

We need THREE (3) talls against Freo, not 2.

Bulldog4life
17-09-2020, 02:29 PM

True. Good point.

Jeanette54

I would be a little surprised to see either Cordy or Gardner dropped, Wood is far better intercept value when he isn't forced to play tall.

Happy Days
Does Duryea have the tank and match fitness to play wing?

I'd look to Roarke Smith to play a Toby McLeans role of defensive stopper.

Good shout, although I don’t really know who Roarke could play on. He’s not going to Fyfe/Brayshaw because that would mean he has to attend CBs, and Freo’s outside players are either shit (Acres) or washed (Hill). Maybe Serong, who is a very nice player but I suspect gettable by a tag at this stage.

Lipinski can do whatever it was Roarke was doing before and soak up McLean’s CBAs.

Bulldog4life
17-09-2020, 02:30 PM
I would be a little surprised to see either Cordy or Gardner dropped, Wood is far better intercept value when he isn't forced to play tall.

Yep. Might come down to Dureya. Not sure.

comrade
17-09-2020, 02:31 PM

Either Hogan or Taberner, he'd have as much of chance as competing as Cordy will.

Happy Days
17-09-2020, 02:41 PM
Either Hogan or Taberner, he'd have as much of chance as competing as Cordy will.

If we're playing Gardner then it has to be Duryea out, with Wood on Walters. If we don't I think we're better suited. Comes down to who we think is more likely to hurt us out of Lobb or Walters, which shouldn't be that hard of a question to answer.

comrade
17-09-2020, 02:50 PM
If we're playing Gardner then it has to be Duryea out, with Wood on Walters. If we don't I think we're better suited. Comes down to who we think is more likely to hurt us out of Lobb or Walters, which shouldn't be that hard of a question to answer.

We'll 100% play Gardner, and I think we play Duryea too. Cordy isn't a tall defender IMO, and isn't suited to any of Hogan/Lobb/Taberner (maybe Hogan at a stretch).

bornadog
17-09-2020, 03:14 PM

Wood on Hogan

Scrub this Ozza is right in the next post

Wood to Walters

Ozza
17-09-2020, 03:16 PM
Cordy will be on Hogan, Keath will be on Taberner and Gardner on Lobb.

Wood will likely be on Fyfe for a big portion given that Fyfe spends to much time forward now.

1eyedog
17-09-2020, 06:56 PM
Getting anxious...

Doc26
17-09-2020, 07:06 PM

That is some random quote and no doubt a copy / edit failure at The Hun..

merantau
17-09-2020, 07:21 PM
I really hope the boys come out firing, put a gap in them early and then steadily build on it. I want to see another performance where we are in control of the game for the most part. I don’t have heart problems but I couldn’t stand another finish a la the Geelong game. Our season is riding on this. We must have a pack mentality for the entire game. Numbers around the contest at all times. We need our tallest defenders to play.

ratsmac
17-09-2020, 07:29 PM
Getting anxious...

Me too!

1 minute I'm like "we got this" then I'm "we'll stuff this up for sure."
Surely we'll win....surely

Grantysghost
17-09-2020, 07:35 PM
Me too!

1 minute I'm like "we got this" then I'm "we'll stuff this up for sure."
Surely we'll win....surely

I'm pretty confident. We will be playing like it's a final, Freo hopefully will be thinking about going home. Glad it didn't get shifted to Perth.

GVGjr
17-09-2020, 07:49 PM

We have 3, Cordy, Gardner and Keath
Wood will only assist

mjp
17-09-2020, 09:04 PM
We have 3, Cordy, Gardner and Keath
Wood will only assist

Yeah - but it was being suggested Wood would (haha) replace either Gardner or Cordy and I was trying to make the point that we probably shouldn't do that...

Wood - if he plays - probably gets, oh, I don't know...Fyfe!

Freo have some quite serious fire-power right now. Taberner has been fantastic all season and I am actually hoping for a slippery night up in Cairns.

DOG GOD
18-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Taberner, Hogan, Lobb, Fyfe and Walters are going to be a handful for sure.
Gardner, Cordy and Keath all have to play, no doubt about it.
If Wood comes in it will have to be for duryea or suckling, unless they just do a McLean for wood swap, but we certainly need that other mid.

Mofra
18-09-2020, 09:51 AM
Taberner, Hogan, Lobb, Fyfe and Walters are going to be a handful for sure.
Gardner, Cordy and Keath all have to play, no doubt about it.
If Wood comes in it will have to be for duryea or suckling, unless they just do a McLean for wood swap, but we certainly need that other mid.
Walters is in incredible form. Seems to be playing higher up the ground in recent weeks which might prove difficult to stop.
Taberner has kicked a goal in every game this year and is second in the comp for average contested marks. Lobb is third, so we'll have our work cut out for us.

Their midfield is young though, with Fyfe spending more time forward. Mundy is the mature body but the rest of them are talented (but developing) kids. That's where we need to find out advantage. They have a lot of KPDs out injured too.

jazzadogs
18-09-2020, 10:32 AM
Could Wood come in to the backline, Duryea push up to a wing?

Tall def: Cordy, Gardner, Keath
Rebound: Crozier, Williams, Daniel, Wood
Ruck: English
Mid/fwd group: Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Libba, Baz, Lipinski
Wings: Hunter, Duryea (Roarke)
Tall fwd: Bruce, Naughton
Med fwd: Wallis, JJ, Suckling

My changes have been Wood and Lipinski for Richards and Mclean.
JJ and Duryea could swap, but then Duryea is being taken a long way from his comfort zone (would be classic Bevo though).

bornadog
18-09-2020, 10:48 AM
Could Wood come in to the backline, Duryea push up to a wing?

Tall def: Cordy, Gardner, Keath
Rebound: Crozier, Williams, Daniel, Wood
Ruck: English
Mid/fwd group: Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Libba, Baz, Lipinski
Wings: Hunter, Duryea (Roarke)
Tall fwd: Bruce, Naughton
Med fwd: Wallis, JJ, Suckling

My changes have been Wood and Lipinski for Richards and Mclean.
JJ and Duryea could swap, but then Duryea is being taken a long way from his comfort zone (would be classic Bevo though).

Duryea has played as a forward when he was with the Hawks, but his best spot is the backline

jazzadogs
18-09-2020, 10:55 AM
Duryea has played as a forward when he was with the Hawks, but his best spot is the backline

I agree, but I still rate him as a player. You can't have all of Crozier, Williams, Wood, Daniel and Duryea in one backline - one at least has to move elsewhere.

Crozier, Williams and Caleb are all having career best years. So it's down to Wood and Duryea - Wood has shown he simply cannot play other positions, whereas Duryea is serviceable.

So then it comes down to Duryea, Richards, Suckling, Roarke for the final spot.

bornadog
18-09-2020, 10:57 AM
I agree, but I still rate him as a player. You can't have all of Crozier, Williams, Wood, Daniel and Duryea in one backline - one at least has to move elsewhere.

Crozier, Williams and Caleb are all having career best years. So it's down to Wood and Duryea - Wood has shown he simply cannot play other positions, whereas Duryea is serviceable.

So then it comes down to Duryea, Richards, Suckling, Roarke for the final spot.

Tough one. Maybe the rotations come into it as well.

comrade
18-09-2020, 11:16 AM
I liked the introduction of Duryea and how it freed up JJ to play higher.

Pretty hard to fit all the defenders in tbh, but I’d be picking Doc ahead of Roarke, Suckling and Richards and just making it work.

josie
18-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Williams and possibly Daniel to take turns further up ground at times? I recall Williams played mid a bit in VFL when he was not a regular in seniors. Daniel can deliver well into F50 which we need.

josie
18-09-2020, 11:19 AM
I would like to see Cavarra in as if slippery a small crumbing forward could be important but do not so how we can fit him in. I think it will be Wood and Lippi in for Maclean and Suckling or just Wood for Maclean.

josie
18-09-2020, 11:21 AM
And as noted by woofers-JJ to play further forward as he did against Hawks quite well.

1eyedog
18-09-2020, 11:25 AM
I liked the introduction of Duryea and how it freed up JJ to play higher.

Pretty hard to fit all the defenders in tbh, but I’d be picking Doc ahead of Roarke, Suckling and Richards and just making it work.

I liked it in theory too but what i didn't like was how easy Doc went to ground multiple times. It's a non-negotiable for a defender in a one on one contest. You can be rusty but you need to keep your feet.

I really don't want Cavarra in. He hasn't really got anywhere near it in any game he's played. We need one touch players in greasy conditions so Lippa comes in.

In: Wood, Lipinski
Out: McLean, R. Smith

I'd move Williams up the ground. He can be iffy one on one deep and his attacking nature may benefit us if he was to move up to a wing.

Axe Man
18-09-2020, 11:27 AM
Williams and possibly Daniel to take turns further up ground at times? I recall Williams played mid a bit in VFL when he was not a regular in seniors. Daniel can deliver well into F50 which we need.

Or we could just leave our 2 best rebounders (1 in All Australian contention and 1 having a career best season by an absolute mile) where they are most effective for us - in the backline. I know there are too many back flankers but these are the 2 guys that we do not move.

Ozza
18-09-2020, 11:42 AM
Or we could just leave our 2 best rebounders (1 in All Australian contention and 1 having a career best season by an absolute mile) where they are most effective for us - in the backline. I know there are too many back flankers but these are the 2 guys that we do not move.

Yes, agree with this.

Although we are concerned with who to match up on Freo's forwards - with the likes of Lobb, Hogan, Taberner and Fyfe in the forward line, there isn't exactly a lot of defensive pressure there. I think it is a real opportunity to find a heap of drive from half back (which we have been doing) and hopefully catch Freo on the hop. Freo are a very good intercept team and I think our bigger concerns are with how they defend than how they attack. We need to be smart with ball use and hit up rather than bang it in when they are 'set'. Its a really really big day for Naughton. Loved his game last week, showed a really sense of urgency and identified when he needed to get himself a long way up the ground to help.

I'm pretty confident that we do what needs to be done and will be well in control by half time.

Axe Man
18-09-2020, 03:43 PM
Wood gets through training test (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/814898/wood-gets-through-training-test)

The Western Bulldogs look likely to regain defender Easton Wood for a crucial round 18 clash against Fremantle.

A win will get the Bulldogs through to the finals, but the Dogs could use a boost in defence against the Dockers' key forward trio of Matt Taberner, Rory Lobb and Jesse Hogan.

Wood has battled a hamstring injury in recent weeks but got through Friday's training session and is "definitely available" for selection.

"We've always thought he's a better player when he's sort of in the middle of everything and doesn't have to play in a key defensive post," Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said of Wood.

"We feel like he'll be able to provide us with some strong defensive run as well, that's if we pick him of course."

Versatile midfielder Toby McLean had negated the likes of Andrew Gaff and Lachie Whitfield this season weeks, but Beveridge may be forced to shuffle the deck when it comes to finding a replacement following McLean's ACL rupture.

"The roles Toby has played have been important to us, he's played in every line and shut down some prime movers from the opposition," Beveridge said.

"Now do you put a Toby McLean clone in to play a similar role, or with our spread and depth of our midfielders do we trust something else?"

Patrick Lipinski was a travelling emergency for the Bulldogs last week and could be one of the players in the mix to fill that role.

Axe Man
18-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Versatile midfielder Toby McLean had negated the likes of Andrew Gaff and Lachie Whitfield this season weeks, but Beveridge may be forced to shuffle the deck when it comes to finding a replacement following McLean's ACL rupture.

Apart from that sentence being nonsensical - I'm not sure Toby can take the credit for negating Whitfield, pretty sure Naughton took care of that.

azabob
18-09-2020, 03:56 PM
Apart from that sentence being nonsensical - I'm not sure Toby can take the credit for negating Whitfield, pretty sure Naughton took care of that.

Well McLean did start and started well on Whitfield - Beveridge even said as much in his presser after the game.

Axe Man
18-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Well McLean did start and started well on Whitfield - Beveridge even said as much in his presser after the game.

It was a joke. Tough crowd.

azabob
19-09-2020, 07:21 PM
IN: Easton Wood, Pat Lipinski
OUT: Matt Suckling (hamstring), Toby McLean (knee)

azabob
19-09-2020, 07:22 PM
ROUND 18 TEAM

Fremantle v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 20 September, 6.10pm AEST
Cazalys Stadium, Cairns

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Jason Johannisen
HF: Ed Richards, Josh Bruce, Mitch Wallis
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Lachie Hunter
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley
Int: Zaine Cordy, Taylor Duryea, Pat Lipinski, Roarke Smith
Emer: Jackson Trengove, Ben Cavarra, Bailey Dale, Jordon Sweet

azabob
19-09-2020, 07:23 PM
No Walters for the dockers

TEAM v BULLDOGS
IN: Conca, Henry
OUT: Walters (injured), Watson (omitted)

B: Reece Conca, Brennan Cox, Nathan Wilson
HB: Stephen Hill, Luke Ryan, Taylin Duman
C: Adam Cerra, Nat Fyfe, James Aish
HF: David Mundy, Matt Taberner, Mitch Crowden
F: Lachie Schultz, Rory Lobb, Jesse Hogan
R/Fol: Sean Darcy, Caleb Serong, Andrew Brayshaw
I: Michael Frederick, Blake Acres, Ethan Hughes, Liam Henry
E: Travis Colyer, Luke Valente, Tobe Watson, Hugh Dixon

GVGjr
19-09-2020, 07:29 PM
I'm more confident now that the teams have been selected. Dogs by 19 points

angelopetraglia
19-09-2020, 07:30 PM
Walters our is a huge plus for us. Such a dangerous player.

josie
19-09-2020, 07:31 PM
Suckling listed as injured. Nice to see Cavarra as emergency. Hope that’s an indication he might get another year in his contract.

Walters out helps.

Lippy’s good disposal a plus. Woody a good senior mentor - always gives his all. Go Dogs!!

G-Mo77
19-09-2020, 07:35 PM
Walters is the kind of guy who would have a blinder against us so I'm not upset that he's out.

Rocket Science
19-09-2020, 07:41 PM
Those 'INS' seem strangely sensible.

What're you playing at coach?

comrade
19-09-2020, 08:00 PM
Half the side are defenders so if Freo kicks more than 5 goals I’ll be disappointed ;)

SquirrelGrip
19-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Jackson Trengove an emergency.

jeemak
19-09-2020, 08:23 PM
So our two key forwards started as defenders, our two forward pockets started as midfielders (well maybe Hunter was a forward early), one of our flankers started as a midfielder and the other a running defender. Nothing says "specialist forward" about that motley bunch over their careers!

Grantysghost
19-09-2020, 08:23 PM
Walters out, Toorak we need gyprock repairs stat.

mjp
19-09-2020, 09:20 PM
Jackson Trengove an emergency.

This is going to sound really stupid but 2x rucks at Cazaly given the slippery conditions (likely) = more stoppages just makes too much sense for us to consider.

jeemak
19-09-2020, 10:15 PM
This is going to sound really stupid but 2x rucks at Cazaly given the slippery conditions (likely) = more stoppages just makes too much sense for us to consider.

Imagine Bevo did that and we lost. People wouldn't know where to put themselves.