PDA

View Full Version : Assistant coaches merry go round

Pages : 1 [2]

MrMahatma
27-09-2021, 06:15 PM
Well, surely people taking our assistants (and thus a chunk of IP) was always going to happen. Hopefully we can recruit well into the vacancies and the collective will get stronger.

I've no idea about who is a good assistant coach so can't comment on who we'd consider.

DOG GOD
27-09-2021, 06:20 PM
Well, surely people taking our assistants (and thus a chunk of IP) was always going to happen. Hopefully we can recruit well into the vacancies and the collective will get stronger.

I've no idea about who is a good assistant coach so can't comment on who we'd consider.

I’m just happy for the fact new blood will be coming in to the MC. Breath of fresh air if you ask me.

Hotdog60
27-09-2021, 07:03 PM
We could ask Stefan Martin to be player/coach next year to save some cap space and he's there as a break glass.
Is it bad to copy North?

The Underdog
27-09-2021, 07:10 PM
I doubt 1eye is talking about an assistants role. More an advisory role I would say.

I honestly can’t imagine Bevo or Clarko being vaguely amenable to that.

Bulldog Revolution
27-09-2021, 09:19 PM
I'm a big fan of Hansen. We should do our best to keep him

I like Ash also - I’d like to see him keep growing with us. Interesting Geelong have lost Enright and Knights to better offers and Lappin and Scarlett have offers elsewhere

Thinking back through Bevos connections could
Jordan Russell
Jed Adcock

Or might we entice someone that left coaching this year Lenny Hayes, Ash Prescott etc?

Vred
28-09-2021, 01:42 AM
Cats now targeting Hanson https://www.afl.com.au/news/682318

At this rate we will not have any assistants left. Is the club proactive enough in chasing the right help for Bevo?

This is good to be honest, I'd like a change in all 3 senior assistants but two is good enough. Fresh ideas, new perspective, some changes to selection committee SHOULD improve us, we still have Bevo's madness but hopefully focus'd in better directions.

Axe Man
28-09-2021, 12:19 PM
King offically gone but sounds like Hansen is staying.

Bulldogs farewell Steven King (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1022053/bulldogs-farewell-steven-king?fbclid=IwAR2swHcKMRItVv51QEAT0B0auqMiLJ67GzMfflr1ULc2Ti _w7IKMTcvItG8)

Western Bulldogs Senior Assistant Coach Steven King will depart the Club to join the coaching panel of the Gold Coast Suns from 2022.

King has been an integral part of the Bulldogs’ coaching staff for the last decade, where he has had responsibilities across multiple areas of the ground, as well as in the coaching strategy and training space.

King and his family are set to make the move north, where he will continue his successful coaching career under Stuart Dew.

“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I’ve had to work with an amazing organisation like the Western Bulldogs,” King said.

“The experience of collaborating with a motivated group of players and staff, in such a supportive and close-knit environment, has been extremely rewarding.

“In particular I’ve had the pleasure of working closely with an extremely talented, hard-working and driven midfield group at the Dogs.

“I want to thank everyone at the Bulldogs for their support, guidance and friendship over the last decade, and I wish the Club every success for the future as I embark on a new coaching challenge.”

King arrived at VU Whitten Oval from St Kilda at the end of 2011, after a period as the Saints’ ruck/midfield coach.

He started in the role of the Bulldogs’ midfield/ruck coach in 2012 and took charge of this area during the 2016 premiership season, before taking over the defensive portfolio from 2017-19.

King was elevated to the role of Senior Assistant Coach ahead of the 2019 season.

“Steven has had a profound impact on our program for an extended period, and we thank him wholeheartedly for his contribution to our football club,” said Bulldogs’ Senior Coach, Luke Beveridge.

“His versatility as a coach, his demeanour and rapport with the players and staff, and his tactical nous, have helped us achieve the success we’ve had over the last six years.

“We are disappointed to lose ‘Kingy’, as he explores this next exciting step on his coaching journey. We are fully supportive of the lifestyle choice he and his family has made and will always be here for him.”

As a result of King’s departure, Ash Hansen has been elevated to the role of Senior Assistant Coach.

The Bulldogs will now explore the market to secure a midfield coach for the 2022 season.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2021, 12:38 PM
Makes a lot of sense - it’s important to have some continuity whilst also bringing in some fresh ideas and systems

Our current group haven’t got a lot wrong and I’m not sure where our spend is at but we’ve traditionally had less, I know the soft cap is in play but we need people who will roll up their sleeves and work hard

I’d also think that Hanson is a good person for jamarra and Sam Darcy

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-09-2021, 02:05 PM
And it's pertinent that we're in the market to find a new midfield coach now.. That's the area of the ground we really need to be challenged to do things differently.

Axe Man
28-09-2021, 02:13 PM
And it's pertinent that we're in the market to find a new midfield coach now.. That's the area of the ground we really need to be challenged to do things differently.

Our midfield should be a very attractive proposition to coach you would think. Should sell itself.

MrMahatma
28-09-2021, 02:18 PM

It certainly gives hope that deficiencies that have hurt us this year will be fixed by some new ideas and there’d be no stubborn reluctance to change.

jeemak
28-09-2021, 02:31 PM
This is good to be honest, I'd like a change in all 3 senior assistants but two is good enough. Fresh ideas, new perspective, some changes to selection committee SHOULD improve us, we still have Bevo's madness but hopefully focus'd in better directions.

I'm not sure wholesale changes in a coaching department that has just reached a grand final is the way to go.

And Bevo's madness? It's pretty disparaging to call his methods madness, just because we don't understand them.

GVGjr
28-09-2021, 03:32 PM
Well done Kingy, you had a a great time with us and helped get us to 2 Grand Finals

Go_Dogs
28-09-2021, 03:49 PM
King has done a great job, glad to see him progress and sounds like a good decision for him and his family. Like any role (sporting or otherwise) there reaches a point where you are litigating your own decisions / ideas and for us, it’s good to get some fresh perspective and new challenges on our midfield method. Not to take away from the work King has done at all - it’s more a philosophical point are people who are long tenured in decision making / strategic type roles such as being an assistant coach.

azabob
28-09-2021, 03:50 PM
As a result of King’s departure, Ash Hansen has been elevated to the role of Senior Assistant Coach.

The Bulldogs will now explore the market to secure a midfield coach for the 2022 season.

So do we assume Hansen will be staying and not going to Geelong?

The Underdog
28-09-2021, 04:04 PM

Yep, confirmed

GVGjr
28-09-2021, 10:51 PM

It's another step forward in his development. He will eventually start to receive requests to interview for senior roles.

bornadog
29-09-2021, 01:29 PM
Alex Rance joining Essendon as Dev coach - part time role

Axe Man
29-09-2021, 01:32 PM
Alex Rance joining Essendon as Dev coach - part time role

Only working with Dev Smith? That's a very specific role. ;)

WBFC4FFC
01-10-2021, 09:46 PM
Whoever they recruit for the Midfield coach has one job: To stop teams getting a run-on and bursting out of the Centre in quick succession.

Bris did it to us in the Finals in the first quarter. Both the Hawks and Melb did it in the third-quarter when we were up a few goals!

The Bullies play a grinding, percentages-based game that does work but knowing your Achilles Heel means you must rectify it, especially in the part of the ground that is the sides strength.

bornadog
01-10-2021, 11:59 PM
Whoever they recruit for the Midfield coach has one job: To stop teams getting a run-on and bursting out of the Centre in quick succession.

Bris did it to us in the Finals in the first quarter. Both the Hawks and Melb did it in the third-quarter when we were up a few goals!

The Bullies play a grinding, percentages-based game that does work but knowing your Achilles Heel means you must rectify it, especially in the part of the ground that is the sides strength.

Each time that happened, the rucks killed us.

divvydan
05-10-2021, 08:36 PM
Rumours going around that Ash Hansen is going to join Carlton as senior assistant coach.

azabob
05-10-2021, 08:37 PM
Rumours going around that Ash Hansen is going to join Carlton as senior assistant coach.

Jake Niall from the Age has gone with it.

He doesn’t speculate.

azabob
05-10-2021, 08:39 PM
So we are two coaches down.

No talk of who we are looking at to being in.

divvydan
05-10-2021, 08:42 PM
So we are two coaches down.

No talk of who we are looking at to being in.

True but most of these coaching changes only start becoming news when they're either announced or about to be, so it should be no surprise that there's no talk.

azabob
05-10-2021, 08:53 PM
So I’ve been very strong on needing to change up our assistants, but damn, now they are walking out on us I’m like what the!!!

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 08:55 PM

He's just he made our senior assistant is my understanding. Unless this is all unravelling.

azabob
05-10-2021, 09:03 PM
He's just he made our senior assistant is my understanding. Unless this is all unravelling.

Jake Niall is running with it.

It’s unravelled
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-poach-highly-rated-dogs-assistant-as-right-hand-man-to-voss-20211005-p58xi3.html

comrade
05-10-2021, 09:09 PM
Reckon Bevo would be fuming at that after we announced Hansen as King’s replacement.

Those asking for fresh blood in the coaching group (which I’m one of) will see if it’ll move the dial or not. Hopefully it’s not a case of be careful what you wish for.

macca
05-10-2021, 09:10 PM
It has to be about money. No way in world he would leave a team knocking on premiership.

No sure about Hansen working relationship with Voss, but Hansen been around forever at Whitten Oval.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 09:13 PM
Jake Niall is running with it.

It’s unravelled
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-poach-highly-rated-dogs-assistant-as-right-hand-man-to-voss-20211005-p58xi3.html

This is not good.

I'm worried about the Gardner omission now.

Also, how the *!*!*!*! do you drop LVDM who was integral in a prelim for a guy who's played maybe one good game and is coming back from a concussion.

jazzadogs
05-10-2021, 09:20 PM
This is not good.

Also, how the *!*!*!*! do you drop LVDM who was integral in a prelim for a guy who's played maybe one good game and is coming back from a concussion.

Are you saying VDM should have played ahead of Weightman? The guy who kicked 26 goals for the year and prior to the GF had only had one goalless game for the season? No way.

Hansen is a big loss. I was really glad that he had seemingly accepted the senior assistant role.

Who is available now? Dean Solomon? Get Gia or Matty Boyd back? Dale Morris promoted to assistant coach?

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 09:24 PM
Are you saying VDM should have played ahead of Weightman? The guy who kicked 26 goals for the year and prior to the GF had only had one goalless game for the season? No way.

Hansen is a big loss. I was really glad that he had seemingly accepted the senior assistant role.

Who is available now? Dean Solomon? Get Gia or Matty Boyd back? Dale Morris promoted to assistant coach?

Wait what?

Must be joking.

It takes a while to come back from concussion as EVERY one knows.
You've got a guy who was integral in our greatest prelim victory ever and he's an auto exclusion?

Can't agree.

Weightman is good but I rate what Laith brings highly.

kruder
05-10-2021, 09:25 PM
We knew about King for ages should be well placed with his replacement.

Bigfooty dropped John Barker and Ben Hart as names via SEN in theory.

jazzadogs
05-10-2021, 09:26 PM
Wait what?

Must be joking.

It takes a while to come back from concussion as EVERY one knows.
You've got a guy who was integral in our greatest prelim victory ever and he's an auto exclusion?

Can't agree.

Weightman is good but I rate what Laith brings highly.

Cody is a far better player. The debate for me was never whether or not Cody played, but which of JJ or VDM (who was also under an injury cloud) was the sub.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 09:30 PM
Cody is a far better player. The debate for me was never whether or not Cody played, but which of JJ or VDM (who was also under an injury cloud) was the sub.

Fair enough. I completely disagree (about Cody being far better than Laith) but respect your opinion.

azabob
05-10-2021, 09:32 PM
We knew about King for ages should be well placed with his replacement.

Bigfooty dropped John Barker and Ben Hart as names via SEN in theory.

John Barker doesn’t really excite.

Could we take Longmire right hand man Dean Cox?

WBFC4FFC
05-10-2021, 09:33 PM
This is not good.

Bevo left the Magpies (I heard Buckley made his position untenable, given he saw Bevo as a threat to getting the Senior coaching gig there) after the 2010 Flag. Then joined the Hawks in 2012. Assistants moving to and from teams in a Grand Final is not a big issue but they would have wanted less change than what has transpired recently, if you include Gia.

Another experienced Assistant Coach coupled with a Rookie Assistant would be good recruits to fill the void.

Would love to see Boyd back but he just moved his family to WA last year.

Twodogs
05-10-2021, 09:55 PM
Well done Kingy, you had a a great time with us and helped get us to 2 Grand Finals

A great coach as well as being a really good bloke. I work in the disability field and if Kingy ever saw me at training or around the club with a client he'd always come over to say hello and make sure we were made welcome. Ben Graham was the same, we've had some real quality people around the club.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 09:58 PM
Bevo left the Magpies (I heard Buckley made his position untenable, given he saw Bevo as a threat to getting the Senior coaching gig there) after the 2010 Flag. Then joined the Hawks in 2012. Assistants moving to and from teams in a Grand Final is not a big issue but they would have wanted less change than what has transpired recently, if you include Gia.

Another experienced Assistant Coach coupled with a Rookie Assistant would be good recruits to fill the void.

Would love to see Boyd back but he just moved his family to WA last year.

Bevo announced Ash Hansen as the new Senior Assistant in the post GF press conference.

So, awks.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 09:59 PM
A great coach as well as being a really good bloke. I work in the disability field and if Kingy ever saw me at training or around the club with a client he'd always come over to say hello and make sure we were made welcome. Ben Graham was the same, we've had some real quality people around the club.

Good mates with Jeff White too (I joke I joke)

Cosmic Karma for the Wade Skipper cup.

bornadog
05-10-2021, 10:42 PM
So the only coach left from when Bevo started is Rohan Smith.

Well we needed a cleanout and we got one.

Grantysghost
05-10-2021, 11:15 PM
So the only coach left from when Bevo started is Rohan Smith.

Well we needed a cleanout and we got one.

But it wasn’t our choice. They left a team that made a GF.

Raises questions.

Disruption may be good but it would be nice to have it on our terms.

Last season you’ve got Dunks dictating his role (to which we acquiesce) now coaches leaving unplanned.

Is there a plan?

Vred
05-10-2021, 11:18 PM
Good. Glad to see them go.
John Barker: Hard no from me, only need to talk to any Carlton fan to hear how disliked he was internally.
Ben Hart: Good citizen and supposedly very good coach, so a tick from me

FrediKanoute
05-10-2021, 11:39 PM
Time to poach a Melbourne assistant coach

kruder
05-10-2021, 11:49 PM
I've always found it hard to rate assistant coaches from the outside its near impossible.

bornadog
05-10-2021, 11:57 PM
I've always found it hard to rate assistant coaches from the outside its near impossible.

Agree. Most on here never rated King because they knew nothing about him, even though he was senior assistant

hujsh
06-10-2021, 12:15 AM
"We've had these assistant coaches for too long. Obviously no one even wants them so they must be no good"

"Holy shit our assistant coaches are leaving. The club is a rabble why do they want out?"

Can't win really.

1eyedog
06-10-2021, 12:28 AM
Bevo would never let it be known to the broader footballing public he tapped a coach on the shoulder. Maybe the case with King while Hansen may simply be chasing coin.

soupman
06-10-2021, 12:56 AM
A freshen up will be good.

As always it's basically impossible to judge how much of a positive effect assistant coaches have without actually being a part of the playing/coaching group, so it's hard to judge the consequences of King and Hansen leaving. Ideally we would've been able to pick which coaches we cut but this is fine.

Curious to see who we grab and hopefully we get a variety of backgrounds (do we need 2 or 3 coaches coming in?).

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 12:57 AM
"We've had these assistant coaches for too long. Obviously no one even wants them so they must be no good"

"Holy shit our assistant coaches are leaving. The club is a rabble why do they want out?"

Can't win really.

I didn’t get that sentiment from the posts, me personally I would rather we make decisions as part of some over arching strategy than lose your Senior Assistant closely followed by the guy publicly announced as his successor a week later.

What’s the plan ? Why would Hansen leave under those circumstances? Maybe there’s a totally reasonable explanation, it just is a worthwhile discussion point I believe.

I’ve long advocated for this exact change so end result if we get decent people in then I’ll be good with it.

Vred
06-10-2021, 01:13 AM
Apparently we've approached Barry Hall for a forward line coaching gig..

Hotdog60
06-10-2021, 07:51 AM

A knowledgeable forward would be a good get but I would hope he has done the coaches coarse and how to deal with people because the Rocket Eade era has gone and people are more sensitive now days.

azabob
06-10-2021, 08:27 AM

Can't win really.

Are you new to the internet?

Vred
06-10-2021, 08:35 AM
A knowledgeable forward would be a good get but I would hope he has done the coaches coarse and how to deal with people because the Rocket Eade era has gone and people are more sensitive now days.

If we're going down that path you'd think his ticked all the boxes that would be required of a coach

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2021, 08:53 AM
I didn’t get that sentiment from the posts, me personally I would rather we make decisions as part of some over arching strategy than lose your Senior Assistant closely followed by the guy publicly announced as his successor a week later.

What’s the plan ? Why would Hansen leave under those circumstances? Maybe there’s a totally reasonable explanation, it just is a worthwhile discussion point I believe.

I’ve long advocated for this exact change so end result if we get decent people in then I’ll be good with it.

I don't think we can read too much into it other than getting experience at another club is seen in the industry as good for enhancing prospects for career progression.
Hansen was promoted internally, which indicates he was happy with things, and then he received another offer from another club, which he has weighed up (and probably discussed with Bevo) and decided that's better for his long terms ambition.

I agree, hopefully we make some good choices and bring in some fresh ideas.

Great to have you back on board by the way, GG!

GVGjr
06-10-2021, 09:01 AM
I don't think we can read too much into it other than getting experience at another club is seen in the industry as good for enhancing prospects for career progression.
Hansen was promoted internally, which indicates he was happy with things, and then he received another offer from another club, which he has weighed up (and probably discussed with Bevo) and decided that's better for his long terms ambition.

I agree, hopefully we make some good choices and bring in some fresh ideas.

Great to have you back on board by the way, GG!

Assistant coaches should want to work with a few coaches especially if they have senior coaching ambitions. I heard Hansen interviewed just the other day and he indicated he was very happy to stay but in time he wanted to move to a senior spot.
I guess Carlton has weighed in with a superior offer and that is just the nature of the industry.

He's served a fantastic apprenticeship with us and would be highly regarded.

dog town
06-10-2021, 09:42 AM
Looks like both have just moved on to progress their career. The only part that should worry us is losing two experienced coaches and having some instability. I’m not big on coaching turnover and liked our settled team.

Hopefully we haven’t been caught out too much and were already well advanced in finding a King replacement.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2021, 09:57 AM
If Hansen wants to be a senior coach then he’d be stupid not to go to Carlton. He’ll probably be senior coach by round 15! How long he’ll be senior coach is another question, but he won’t get a better shot at it than at Carlton.

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 10:08 AM
Great discussion. Agree it does seem like it’s just some better deals coming in, and that’s probably a good reflection on their work with us.
The Hansen timing is interesting considering he would’ve had a promotion with us and Voss literally was just appointed, feels like a short turnaround.

Excited to see who we get in. Do we have any idea who the leading candidates would be? Think they’d be queuing up to work with our team.
Hansen was Forward, King mids IIRC.

DOG GOD
06-10-2021, 10:49 AM
Reading that SEN are going with John Barker and Ben Hart to fill our asst roles.
Take that with a grain of salt .

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Reading that SEN are going with John Barker and Ben Hart to fill our asst roles.

Thats an underwhelming outcome

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2021, 10:58 AM
Eddie Betts will join Geelong as part of their coaching staff next season, according to Matthew Lloyd.

https://i.postimg.cc/76bgCxxy/Breaking-Eddie.jpg (https://postimages.org/)colorful space wallpaper (https://suwalls.com/space/colorful-space)

Shame we didn't get him.

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 11:00 AM

It does seem a little quick, I’d assume there would be a process to get guys in.

Hart I don’t mind.

hujsh
06-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Are you new to the internet?

Yes.

Axe Man
06-10-2021, 11:10 AM
Shame we didn't get him.

Why? Eddie seems like a great bloke but how would we know if he would be a good coach anymore than any other recently retired player?

I always find it strange that people have opinions about assistants seemingly without any real insight into their coaching ability.

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 11:14 AM
Why? Eddie seems like a great bloke but how would we know if he would be a good coach anymore than any other recently retired player?

I always find it strange that people have opinions about assistants seemingly without any real insight into their coaching ability.

Its a reasonable point, good guy doesn’t necessarily equal good coach.

You’d expect the Cats to have some idea though so I guess we can assume he has some ability in the field.

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 11:20 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1023617/hansen-departs-the-bulldogs

Experienced assistant coach Ash Hansen will depart the Western Bulldogs to take up an opportunity with the Carlton Football Club.
Hansen moves on VU Whitten Oval having left a lasting impression on the playing group for nearly a decade, across multiple areas of coaching.
“It’s with a heavy heart that I leave the Bulldogs, after a memorable nine seasons,” Hansen said.
“I want to thank everyone at the Club, in particular Bevo and the other coaches I’ve worked so closely with, for their wonderful support and friendship during my time here.
“Those friendships will remain and I’m extremely grateful and proud of what we’ve been able to achieve together.
“The time has come for me to try a new challenge in my coaching journey, and I wish everyone at the Bulldogs success and happiness in the years to come.”
After a 78-game career as a Premiership player with the West Coast Eagles, Hansen joined the Bulldogs ahead of the 2013 season.
He began as development coach in 2013-14, before becoming Footscray’s senior coach for 2015-16, leading the team to the VFL premiership in 2016.
He moved into the AFL assistant coaching space ahead of the 2017 season and has overseen the Bulldogs’ forwards for the past five seasons.
“Ash has been a loyal, dedicated and extremely talented member of our coaching ranks for an extended period, and we’re grateful for his contribution to the Club,” said Bulldogs’ senior coach Luke Beveridge.
“We’re disappointed to lose someone like Ash, but we understand his want to build on his coaching experience.
“Good people help make great organisations, and we’re thankful to Ash for all of his hard work and commitment to the Bulldogs.”
The Bulldogs now have vacancies for two assistant coaching roles to add to its football department for the 2022 season.

Ozza
06-10-2021, 11:22 AM
Thats an underwhelming outcome

Why is that underwhelming to you? Genuinely interested in the reasons. I would have no idea at all how they'd be as assistant coaches, but both seem to have good character.

1eyedog
06-10-2021, 11:22 AM
Aren't both King and Hansen vestiges of the Macca era? I can't remember and I'm too busy to look it up but maybe this provides a clean canvas for Bevo to get in two coaches who he knows and works well with. I'm not saying he didn't work well with King and Hansen we made two Grand Finals with them but is it a case of Bevo adapting to what was available rather than having free reign in the decision making process.

Could this be a good thing?

1eyedog
06-10-2021, 11:25 AM
Eddie Betts will join Geelong as part of their coaching staff next season, according to Matthew Lloyd.

https://i.postimg.cc/76bgCxxy/Breaking-Eddie.jpg (https://postimages.org/)colorful space wallpaper (https://suwalls.com/space/colorful-space)

Shame we didn't get him.

I'm not really up for a freshy if we were going with a 'players' assistant coach I'd be going with Dale Morris everyday. I know it's a bias in-club thing but everyone loves and would play for Dale and he is uncompromising.

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 11:37 AM
I'm not really up for a freshy if we were going with a 'players' assistant coach I'd be going with Dale Morris everyday. I know it's a bias in-club thing but everyone loves and would play for Dale and he is uncompromising.

You might be on to something there.

Matthew Boyd would also be a good get.

GVGjr
06-10-2021, 11:38 AM

Fair chance that happens but Morris was deemed a development coach before Covid and over the last 2 years he's been a coterie manager. He just might not have the runs on the board.

We should try and get M.Boyd back

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 11:39 AM
Fair chance that happens but Morris was deemed a development coach before Covid and over the last 2 years he's been a coterie manager. He just might not have the runs on the board.

Dealing with us idiots is surely runs on the board :cool:

Vred
06-10-2021, 11:47 AM
Promote Smith to senior
Bring back Joel Corey and let him take care of the midfield
Bring in Barry Hall to take care of the forward line

I'd be happy with that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Given he just moved his family over there, and with Bobby Murphy going over there, do you think the timing might not suit?
I'd have Boyd back in a heartbeat. He's been at two clubs now, and definitely has enough external experience, but just reckon the planets haven't aligned correctly for this to occur right now.

Ghost Dog
06-10-2021, 11:49 AM

the boxing gear will be getting a fair thrashing...

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2021, 11:52 AM
Why is that underwhelming to you? Genuinely interested in the reasons. I would have no idea at all how they'd be as assistant coaches, but both seem to have good character.

Maybe they are good coaches, and maybe Im being unfair, but nothing they've ever said publicly as coaches has in anyway has impressed me. And perhaps Im overly and unfairly attributing lack of team success/ team dysfunction to them.

Hart felt like a yes man appointment for Bucks early on, and Barker has just never impressed me as a coach

Id be more inclined to look at VFL/WAFL/SANFL coaches than those guys

I always liked Nathan Bassett who has coached SANFL and been in a few AFL programs

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2021, 11:54 AM

Tough time to get someone to move from glorious Perth weather to lockdown Melbourne

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 11:54 AM
Adam Kingsley would have to be up there in the reckoning.

Highly regarded, just missed a couple of senior gigs and been at the Tigers in a successful program.

Have to be having that conversation as part of our due diligence.

Axe Man
06-10-2021, 11:57 AM

Perhaps reality TV experience is a prerequisite for new assistants? Varcoe now Hall. Apparently he is actually filming the next series of SAS Australia right now.

Have to say Hall doesn't strike me as a coach, I would be surprised if this was true but you never know.

azabob
06-10-2021, 12:01 PM
Perhaps reality TV experience is a prerequisite for new assistants? Varcoe now Hall. Apparently he is actually filming the next series of SAS Australia right now.

Have to say Hall doesn't strike me as a coach, I would be surprised if this was true but you never know.

Akermanis to be a shoe in then!

Twodogs
06-10-2021, 12:05 PM
Yes.

Welcome aboard.

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 12:13 PM
Akermanis to be a shoe in then!

CoinSpot cross promotion gold mine.

https://i.postimg.cc/TP2w8y8y/Screenshot-20211006-111210-Telegram.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 12:32 PM
Aren't both King and Hansen vestiges of the Macca era? I can't remember and I'm too busy to look it up but maybe this provides a clean canvas for Bevo to get in two coaches who he knows and works well with. I'm not saying he didn't work well with King and Hansen we made two Grand Finals with them but is it a case of Bevo adapting to what was available rather than having free reign in the decision making process.

Could this be a good thing?

King arrived in 2011/12 and Hansen was development coach 2013 so yep.

comrade
06-10-2021, 12:34 PM
Bevo going to finally reunite the mid 2000 St Bedes Div 3 lads.

GVGjr
06-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Adam Kingsley would have to be up there in the reckoning.

Highly regarded, just missed a couple of senior gigs and been at the Tigers in a successful program.

Have to be having that conversation as part of our due diligence.

Assistant coaches often seem to have a limited number of senior interviews and Kingsley keeps missing out. I wouldn't hold my breath on him arriving to the Kennel

Vred
06-10-2021, 12:58 PM

He did some coaching with Gold Coast during 2016, and has been running a males mental health program for the last few years. Weird choice but it's being mentioned in a few Bulldogs circles that his been approached.

Id take him over a Carlton reject any day...

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2021, 01:01 PM
Its a reasonable point, good guy doesn’t necessarily equal good coach.

You’d expect the Cats to have some idea though so I guess we can assume he has some ability in the field.

Eddie has been highly regarded as developing younger players - as people, not necessarily as footballers. We probably have Travis Varcoe already in the type of role that I think Eddie would shine. If we wanted to become an indigenous employer of choice, then getting people like Trav and Eddie would make a difference. Now that Hawthorn have lost Burgoyne, I can't imagine they'll be as attractive to indigenous talent.

azabob
06-10-2021, 01:14 PM
Bevo going to finally reunite the mid 2000 St Bedes Div 3 lads.

You know its half a chance yeah?

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2021, 01:32 PM
Why don't we just sign Mitch Wallis as an assistant coach now. That's ultimately where he'll have his biggest impact in football.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-10-2021, 02:53 PM
We can get Dale Morris out of the office job and back into the coaching

Grantysghost
06-10-2021, 04:07 PM
We can get Dale Morris out of the office job and back into the coaching
But who will I hassle when I’m sooking it up ? Dale completed me. :cool:

FWIW agree he’s wasted as a coterie guy.

Bulldog4life
06-10-2021, 07:39 PM
Bevo likes to promote within.

G-Mo77
06-10-2021, 07:45 PM

Might not have a choice here though. I think we'll need an outsider to come in, maybe a promotion to a senior assistant within? Who knows?

jazzadogs
07-10-2021, 08:45 PM

VFL coach Stewart Edge has been awarded VFL coach of the year. Does he have the skillset to be an AFL assistant?

Bulldog4life
09-10-2021, 04:25 PM
VFL coach Stewart Edge has been awarded VFL coach of the year. Does he have the skillset to be an AFL assistant?

Don't know but it might happen.

jazzadogs
09-10-2021, 04:28 PM
Don't know but it might happen.

Here's the write-up from when he got the VFL head coach role:

"Experienced coach Stewart Edge has been appointed to lead Footscray in the revamped VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition in 2021.

Edge has been part of the Bulldogs’ AFL and VFL coaching teams since 2014.

He joined the Club as a development coach that year, was a key member of the Footscray coaching team which secured the 2014 and 2016 VFL premierships and has most recently been the team’s senior assistant coach.

Prior to joining the Bulldogs, Edge spent four years with the GWS Giants in their inception years as a forwards and defensive coach.

He has also been director of football at Melbourne Grammar School over the past two years."

Bulldog4life
09-10-2021, 04:30 PM
Here's the write-up from when he got the VFL head coach role:

"Experienced coach Stewart Edge has been appointed to lead Footscray in the revamped VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition in 2021.

Edge has been part of the Bulldogs’ AFL and VFL coaching teams since 2014.

He joined the Club as a development coach that year, was a key member of the Footscray coaching team which secured the 2014 and 2016 VFL premierships and has most recently been the team’s senior assistant coach.

Prior to joining the Bulldogs, Edge spent four years with the GWS Giants in their inception years as a forwards and defensive coach.

He has also been director of football at Melbourne Grammar School over the past two years."

Thanks Jazz it reads well.

Twodogs
09-10-2021, 09:43 PM

Maybe Glenys can move from the reception desk and take over as the forward line coach?

SquirrelGrip
09-10-2021, 11:18 PM
Maybe Glenys can move from the reception desk and take over as the forward line coach?

Nah, she’s already locked in to look after our rucks.