PDA

View Full Version : List Management for 2020/21

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

soupman
22-10-2020, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure the hold up in list size announcements is all on the AFL.

Players Association would be having a big say in this and I would not be surprised if they are just as much to blame as the AFL for the hold up.

Yeah I'll pay that. Still cannot believe that sides are already delisting players, signing free agents and basically setting up their lists for next year with still no official indication what they are working with.

Axe Man
22-10-2020, 10:39 AM
Richards in 100% a keeper, as is JJ.

Disagree. Nothing against JJ and Ed in particular but if they are untouchable, more than half the list would be untouchable. I think at most clubs the list of players that wouldn't be traded in any realistic circumstance is pretty small. For the majority list managers would keep an open mind for the right deal. It is possible to trade out good players and improve your list.

azabob
22-10-2020, 10:45 AM
Yeah I'll pay that. Still cannot believe that sides are already delisting players, signing free agents and basically setting up their lists for next year with still no official indication what they are working with.

it is odd isn't it.

bornadog
22-10-2020, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure the hold up in list size announcements is all on the AFL.

Players Association would be having a big say in this and I would not be surprised if they are just as much to blame as the AFL for the hold up.

You are right Aza, the AFL and the AFLPA are in negotiation regarding future player payments along with list sizes. The current CBA doesn't expire till 2022, however, with the pandemic hitting, the CBA needs to be reviewed for total player payments as well as the list sizes.

The deadline is really October 30, and trade period starts on Nov 4. They better get a move on.

Happy Days
22-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Hannan going to nominate us. Awesome.

Why is it every year we nominate some rubbish player, I say they're rubbish and we shouldn't get them, I'm ALWAYS right and for my insight and knowledge and bravery the club spits directly into my mouth and I have to (hypothetically) watch them get selected every week despite doing nothing for the entire season but tug at their jumper after selfishly taking an advantage in the finals for a cheap goal?

I don't deserve this treatment. Wonder if he can ruck since he'll probably have to take Dunkley's spot at the rate we're going.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-10-2020, 12:29 PM
Hannan going to nominate us. Awesome.

Why is it every year we nominate some rubbish player, I say they're rubbish and we shouldn't get them, I'm ALWAYS right and for my insight and knowledge and bravery the club spits directly into my mouth and I have to (hypothetically) watch them get selected every week despite doing nothing for the entire season but tug at their jumper after selfishly taking an advantage in the finals for a cheap goal?

I don't deserve this treatment. Wonder if he can ruck since he'll probably have to take Dunkley's spot at the rate we're going.

It's not really inspiring when the likes of St. Kilda are going after Crouch, Caldwell etc is it?

Is Hannan better than some of the players on our list from 30-40? Probably. Hardly fixes any glaring issues we have though. I'm not against getting him but I hope we are looking at bringing in 3-4 others and clearing the decks with players we don't rate/don't play.

comrade
22-10-2020, 12:33 PM
Surely Hannan coming in means the end for Billy 'Ball o' Muscle' Gowers?

Bulldog4life
22-10-2020, 12:35 PM

Prefer Hannan. Seen him play some good games with Melbourne. Was out of favour this year.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 12:41 PM
.. and Fergus, perhaps Dale and Schache too.
It's not the worst acquisition but it's not really a game-changer. I suspect had Melbourne not drafted him from Footscray we would have taken him ahead of Gowers anyway.

bornadog
22-10-2020, 12:49 PM
Hannan has hardly set the world on fire:

Career Season Totals

Year
Team
GM
K
H
D
M
G
B
T
HO
FF
FA
GA
I50
CL
CG
R50
BL

Demons (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_home?tid=12)

Career

Career Season Averages

Year
Team
GM
K
H
D
M
G
B
T
HO
FF
FA
GA
I50
CL
CG
R50
BL

Career

Last two years hasn't played many matches

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2020, 12:51 PM
It's not really inspiring when the likes of St. Kilda are going after Crouch, Caldwell etc is it?

Is Hannan better than some of the players on our list from 30-40? Probably. Hardly fixes any glaring issues we have though. I'm not against getting him but I hope we are looking at bringing in 3-4 others and clearing the decks with players we don't rate/don't play.

Yeah I can't deny it's a little frustrating seeing the team that beat us in a final grabbing Crouch and going hard at Caldwell whilst we have been linked to the likes of Hannan and Lonie. I know this is all going of media murmurs but it's still underwhelming.

By the way I hope the reason we 'cooled' on Lonie wasn't because we got all excited by Hannan commiting to us. And for the record I don't want Lonie.

bornadog
22-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Yeah I can't deny it's a little frustrating seeing the team that beat us in a final grabbing Crouch and going hard at Caldwell whilst we have been linked to the likes of Hannan and Lonie. I know this is all going of media murmurs but it's still underwhelming.

By the way I hope the reason we 'cooled' on Lonie wasn't because we got all excited by Hannan commiting to us. And for the record I don't want Lonie.

Reports are Caldwell won't be going to Saints

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2020, 12:53 PM
Seriously what am I missing here? Isn't Hannan just like every other mid-sized marking forward we have on our list?

Are we stockpiling average players of the same position and capability and selling them off to chinese labour camps? Is this where the likes of Lynch, Young and Greene have disappeared to?

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Reports are Caldwell won't be going to Saints

I've seen those "reports" from two pro-Essendon media "journos".

Happy Days
22-10-2020, 01:03 PM
Why aren't WE getting Caldwell? He could play the mid-sized role far better than Hannan could anyway and could potentially be a better player in 12 months. We seem determined to fashion players out of the scraps left over from other teams rather than actually try to improve our side in any way other than immediately.

What is the absolute best case scenario with Hannan? Lloyd led our goalkicking and 12 months later is clogging the list. Could we realistically expect Hannan to even touch Lloyd's output? What is the point of any of this.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2020, 01:14 PM
Why aren't WE getting Caldwell? He could play the mid-sized role far better than Hannan could anyway and could potentially be a better player in 12 months. We seem determined to fashion players out of the scraps left over from other teams rather than actually try to improve our side in any way other than immediately.

What is the absolute best case scenario with Hannan? Lloyd led our goalkicking and 12 months later is clogging the list. Could we realistically expect Hannan to even touch Lloyd's output? What is the point of any of this.

Good question. Look I'm going to reserve my judgement until after the trade period is completed.....but if it ends up being Hannan and some other unknown reject from another club that we have no need for then, well, I'll be ropeable. But I will save that judgement for later :cool:

Grantysghost
22-10-2020, 01:18 PM
The worry with Hannan is it makes me wonder what our ambitions for the upcoming trade period are exactly . If these are the types of deals we are primarily putting our time into, without any contradictive evidence it's a little dissapointing. Especially when the Saints appear to be casting their ambitions in the space where I'd expect us to be. Time will tell. I'm ok with Hannan coming in, but it's hardly inspiring. Hopefully we have more irons in the fire.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 01:22 PM

Caldwell may well cost our first round pick and then some and is still unproven. He's a midfielder, not a forward.
Hannan will be a cheap role player forward of the ball. I don't think they're directly comparable.

soupman
22-10-2020, 01:28 PM
So meh.

Hannan is hopefully just a better version of Gowers, Greene, Lloyd, Schache, Dale, Weightman. They are all essentially the same player and we were reluctant to play any of them this season.

Hannan has some good attributes and could be a good player, but if we are getting him can we please get rid of almost all the guys listed above because we don't need more than 2 mid sized, non midfielder, medium pace, ok crumbing, pure forwards on our list.

Happy Days
22-10-2020, 01:30 PM
Caldwell may well cost our first round pick and then some and is still unproven. He's a midfielder, not a forward.
Hannan will be a cheap role player forward of the ball. I don't think they're directly comparable.

My point is more about our approach to trading. We never seem to target players who can make our team better long term when they might be available, but rather only look at guys who we think can play in a game tomorrow. As far as I can tell it's worked out twice, but is otherwise a good way to clog a list needlessly. Our trade record since as long as I can remember is filled with brutal additions that are easy fodder for joke and ridicule from opposition supporters and media and it's getting really old.

It's not that we aren't going to get Caldwell more to the point that I'm confident we never would have even considered it, and jumping all over another unexciting player like Hannan just fills me with apathy.

The Underdog
22-10-2020, 01:31 PM
Seriously what am I missing here? Isn't Hannan just like every other mid-sized marking forward we have on our list?

Are we stockpiling average players of the same position and capability and selling them off to chinese labour camps? Is this where the likes of Lynch, Young and Greene have disappeared to?

Isn’t he a very similar player to Weightman that we’re sitting directly in Weightman’s path to senior opportunities?
It makes our draft strategy from last year particularly perplexing.

bornadog
22-10-2020, 01:31 PM
So meh.

Hannan is hopefully just a better version of Gowers, Greene, Lloyd, Schache, Dale. They are all essentially the same player and we were reluctant to play any of them this season.

Hannan has some good attributes and could be a good player, but if we are getting him can we please get rid of almost all the guys listed above because we don't need more than 2 mid sized, non midfielder, medium pace, ok crumbing, pure forwards on our list.

Dale contracted to 2022, Lloyd 2021, Schache 2022

Gowers and Greene 2020.

bornadog
22-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Isn’t he a very similar player to Weightman that we’re sitting directly in Weightman’s path to senior opportunities?

You draft the best player at your pick, so why is it perplexing?

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2020, 01:33 PM
My point is more about our approach to trading. We never seem to target players who can make our team better long term when they might be available, but rather only look at guys who we think can play in a game tomorrow. As far as I can tell it's worked out twice, but is otherwise a good way to clog a list needlessly. Our trade record since as long as I can remember is filled with brutal additions that are easy fodder for joke and ridicule from opposition supporters and media and it's getting really old.

It's not that we aren't going to get Caldwell more to the point that I'm confident we never would have even considered it, and jumping all over another unexciting player like Hannan just fills me with apathy.

And we must have oodles of cap space. I know we will need to retain our existing talent but the saints are throwing big money at Caldwell, have signed Crouch on decent coin and threw a boatload at Hill and Hannebery. The cats going after Cameron and the blues have an unlimited pit of money. These clubs all need to retain their list too. Point is we should be able to splash some cash on one major target.

soupman
22-10-2020, 01:33 PM

Gowers and Greene 2020.

The 2021 Footscray forwardline right there.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2020, 01:34 PM
The 2021 Footscray forwardline right there.

Yeah we're building one heck of a Footscray team that not surprisingly plays with no heart or desire and crumbles under any physical pressure.

Grantysghost
22-10-2020, 01:37 PM
Have we traded in any one apart from Keath (and Adelaide don't count) that their club wanted to keep? Seems like we are in the Forges flash sale bin (with accompanying portable siren lights) whilst most others are trying on Hugo Boss at DJ's. It took the joint having a major crisis for us to take a risk and get Boyd and that worked out well. For a game anyway.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 01:39 PM

Define "long term"?

This year, with JUH coming in, isn't the year to trade out all of our picks on a maybe. We did target Tom Boyd who we thought was going to be a long term player, and guys like Keath are 4-year KPPs for little cost which I'm more than happy with.
Jack Martin, Wingard, they'd be around longer than 4 years as well if we managed to lure them.

bornadog
22-10-2020, 01:43 PM
Yeah we're building one heck of a Footscray team that not surprisingly plays with no heart or desire and crumbles under any physical pressure.

What does this actually mean?

bulldogsthru&thru
22-10-2020, 01:50 PM
What does this actually mean?

The players mentioned are fairly similar in certain characteristics which are meaning they aren’t getting regular senior games.

The Underdog
22-10-2020, 02:12 PM
You draft the best player at your pick, so why is it perplexing?

Well that would have been a better draft strategy than whatever we did.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 02:30 PM
If Weightman's good enough he'll get opportunities. Forward of the ball is an area we need help in.

I have little faith in Dale, Schache, Lloyd, Gowers, Greene, Cavarra and Weightman will be a second year player who may not be ready for a while yet.
I have Wallis, VDM and Naughton in our forward mix - and I'm hoping Bruce bounces back. Beyond that the field is open.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 02:31 PM
Well that would have been a better draft strategy than whatever we did.
Quite a few of us wanted Kemp, and the club were pretty open about wanting Kosi Pickett to slide to our pick.

bornadog
22-10-2020, 03:05 PM

The players mentioned are fairly similar in certain characteristics which are meaning they aren’t getting regular senior games.

The wording you used seems to be applying to Footscray?

I can't agree with what you have written. I think all the players or majority anyway would be playing with heart and desire, but what you have to think is maybe the players you are referring to may just not be good enough at AFL level. Doesn't mean they are not trying.

The Underdog
22-10-2020, 03:05 PM
Quite a few of us wanted Kemp, and the club were pretty open about wanting Kosi Pickett to slide to our pick.

There was also Robertson available and clearly in hindsight Georgiades is a much higher ceiling pick. I mean I get the rationalisation for picking Weightman but I doubt it was a best player available scenario. It definitely feels more like they went fit.

The Underdog
22-10-2020, 03:07 PM
If Weightman's good enough he'll get opportunities. Forward of the ball is an area we need help in.

I have little faith in Dale, Schache, Lloyd, Gowers, Greene, Cavarra and Weightman will be a second year player who may not be ready for a while yet.
I have Wallis, VDM and Naughton in our forward mix - and I'm hoping Bruce bounces back. Beyond that the field is open.

Yeah, I just find it odd that they’re openly targeting a player who is so similar to a guy they drafted first round last year.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 03:12 PM
There was also Robertson available and clearly in hindsight Georgiades is a much higher ceiling pick. I mean I get the rationalisation for picking Weightman but I doubt it was a best player available scenario. It definitely feels more like they went fit.
Wasn't it reported that we spoke to Georgiadis? He was considered a bolter when Port took him in the late teens.
Having JUH this year may have swayed opinion too.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I just find it odd that they’re openly targeting a player who is so similar to a guy they drafted first round last year.
I'm not sure he is that comparable to the way Weightman plays. We only got glimpses of Flea and he doesn't look ready, a year or two of development will do him good.

I'm not sure it's worth placing all of our hopes on an untied kid when a cheap mature option becomes available, especially in light of more directly comparable types (Dale, llod, Gowers) falling off a cliff.

The Underdog
22-10-2020, 03:16 PM
Wasn't it reported that we spoke to Georgiadis? He was considered a bolter when Port took him in the late teens.
Having JUH this year may have swayed opinion too.

It may have, but it has certainly never stopped us taking a bolter before if they are the best available. Sometimes they even end up as your captain.
JUH factoring in just sways it to the fact that maybe they went for fit.

Mofra
22-10-2020, 04:10 PM
It may have, but it has certainly never stopped us taking a bolter before if they are the best available. Sometimes they even end up as your captain.
JUH factoring in just sways it to the fact that maybe they went for fit.
I think we did go for fit - anyone who can play forward of the ball. Weren't we also heavily into Miles Bergman who was drafted just before Weightman, by Port?
We haven't seen him at AFL level yet but was projected to be a HF type with a good kick.

I'll watch a few of the kids taken just after Weightman with interest - not least of all Kemp who many thought would have been top ten if he didn't hurt is knee pre-draft.

Danjul
22-10-2020, 07:42 PM

Gowers and Greene 2020.
Dale kicked 16 goals in the last 10 games in 2017, played as a traditional falf forward.

Dale kicked 20 goals in the last 6 games in 2019, played as a traditional half forward.

In those 16 games only 3 were goalless. 36 goals from 16 games is better than anyone they are likely to recruit. There’s obviously talent there.

Can we just play the players we have in the positions they are best suited to? This *#*!.! Experimentation is killing me.

CarnTheScray
22-10-2020, 08:01 PM
I think Dale will get there. Get a body on him and he'd be great. The only thing missing is hardness maybe, which is not something you can teach.

Twodogs
22-10-2020, 08:05 PM
Hannah is a replacement for Dickson. Good overhead, kicks straight. Maybe not as straight as Dicko but straighter than most on our list.

DOG GOD
22-10-2020, 08:18 PM
Hannah is a replacement for Dickson. Good overhead, kicks straight. Maybe not as straight as Dicko but straighter than most on our list.
But is he best 22?

Twodogs
22-10-2020, 08:40 PM
But is he best 22?

Probably not but every club needs depth players and he won't cost a fortune at the trade table. He also brings a skill set that we will find valuable. I saw a fair bit of him playing for Footscray and I reckon that he will provide a good return for a 4/5th rounder. He's a mature body who is ready to go.

1eyedog
22-10-2020, 09:50 PM
The fact that they still haven't made a call on that despite talking about it for literally months and trade period being effectively a week away is a great example of just how amateurish this league is. Their incompetence knows no bounds.

Meanwhile Gil and half the execs are chilling in Brisbane enjoying the social scene.

Really? Who knows what 2021 brings, how we transition to Covid normal - whatever that is. Major music venues, all Theatres across Melbourne do not even have a single booking for 2021. In all honesty we don't know if we"ll have a 2021 season or what it will look like, how much money we have to pay players, how much revenue the AFL will have (which let's be honest will be the first consideration).

I'm not sure the AFL is soaking in the rays but they are certainly making hay while the sun shines because no one really knows how this is going to work let alone know what the right number of list places might be.

I assume they'll bask in the glow of actually having a GF this season and probably rightfully so, and then worry about the nitty gritty over the next few weeks.

soupman
22-10-2020, 10:15 PM
Really? Who knows what 2021 brings, how we transition to Covid normal - whatever that is. Major music venues, all Theatres across Melbourne do not even have a single booking for 2021. In all honesty we don't know if we"ll have a 2021 season or what it will look like, how much money we have to pay players, how much revenue the AFL will have (which let's be honest will be the first consideration).

Exactly.

And we won't be any better informed on that in two weeks during trade period nor in a month when the draft is nor in two months when clubs are in the thick of pre-season.

Clubs/list managers at the moment have no official ruling on how much money they have to pay players, or even how many players they can employ. This is despite the off season list management period already starting, and players already being delisted, traded and recruited.

The AFL and AFLPA should make a call, whether that be reduced list sizes, a limited salary cap, whatever. Clubs and List managers have enough uncertainty going forward without the AFL adding to that by not making a decision. This isn't a surprise, it's been talked about all year so they've had plenty of time to make a call.

I assume they'll bask in the glow of actually having a GF this season and probably rightfully so, and then worry about the nitty gritty over the next few weeks.

Well thats the issue. In the next few weeks we have free agent period, trade period, DFA period, final list lodgements (involving delistings) and then the draft. It isn't like its January where nothing happens, its the most important time all year for list managers.

jeemak
22-10-2020, 11:17 PM
I feel a bit dirty saying this, but I kind of understand the AFL wanting to get the GF done and dusted unencumbered and then get serious with the news that a whole bunch of players are going to lose their contracts and not have a chance to get another one once the dust has settled.

With respect to contracts and salary cap, wouldn't any reduction in the future just be a linear reduction across all contracts? Meaning relativism kicks in and doesn't affect what one club versus another would pay for a player?

Dancin' Douggy
23-10-2020, 12:08 AM
To be fair to Hannah. Dicko is literally the best kick for goal ever. So it would be hard to live up to that.

jeemak
23-10-2020, 01:34 AM
Listen Mitch....we're keen on you joining us on one condition. You have to become the best shot at goal in the modern era to justify your recruitment. Are you in?

GVGjr
23-10-2020, 07:30 AM
Assuming we land Hannan we are going to be chock full of left footed forwards
Naughton, Bruce, Schache, Ugle-Hagan and Hannan plus a few mids that rest forward

I wonder if this is part of a plan?

azabob
23-10-2020, 07:26 PM
Assuming we land Hannan we are going to be chock full of left footed forwards
Naughton, Bruce, Schache, Ugle-Hagan and Hannan plus a few mids that rest forward

I wonder if this is part of a plan?

That they all naturally lead to the same spot on the ground?

bornadog
24-10-2020, 12:41 AM

One game this year we had 11 lefties in the team, so may as well add another one

Bulldog Revolution
24-10-2020, 02:25 AM
One game this year we had 11 lefties in the team, so may as well add another one

We've absolutely got a fair old swag of senior players

This is my take on the list

Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Crozier, Bruce, Keath, Naughton, Libba, Suckling, Duryea, Schache, Cavarra, Lynch, Buku? Garcia.

ledge
24-10-2020, 02:54 AM

Did we win that one or were we a shambles ?

GVGjr
24-10-2020, 09:46 AM
We've absolutely got a fair old swag of senior players

This is my take on the list

Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Crozier, Bruce, Keath, Naughton, Libba, Suckling, Duryea, Schache, Cavarra, Lynch, Buku? Garcia.

And Ugle-Hagan on his way

Danjul
24-10-2020, 11:05 AM
Didn’t see much leading this year.

Doesn’t fit into the “5 handball, long bomb over the shoulder, crash the pack” game plan.

GVGjr
24-10-2020, 11:18 AM
What are the thoughts if we should retain Lin Jong? He played some good football this year but if lists are reduced can we keep a player who is missing so much football?

EasternWest
24-10-2020, 11:20 AM
What are the thoughts if we should retain Lin Jong? He played some good football this year but if lists are reduced can we keep a player who is missing so much football?

There are players I'd jettison before Lin. Well, a player. Not naming names.

The Underdog
24-10-2020, 11:31 AM

I think he's borderline. His best football is good enough and he managed to look like he was best 22 when he was fit early in the season.
However availability is a skill and we just can't seem to rely on him being fit for more than a few weeks.

soupman
24-10-2020, 11:48 AM

I've been an advocate for cutting the list pretty hard but I would keep Jong around. I think he has a bit of a pod to the rest of our mids with his burst pace, size and ability to be effective up forward. I don't think he is amazing but he is good enough to be best 22 for us. I would however have no real issue if we did cut him.

I think he clearly offers more than Suckling, Trengove, Khamis (unsure if we delist him but he hasn't gotten close to a game yet), Gowers, Porter, Greene, Hayes and Lynch. He probably also offers more than Cavarra (who while filling a role of need doesn't seem to be trusted in it and hasn't performed there yet either) and definitely Sweet although I concede Sweet is on the list in a specific backup ruckman role that Jong doesn't fit *insert joke about Bevo's ruck strategy*. I would also expect at least one of Lewis Young and Josh Schache is moved on.

DOG GOD
24-10-2020, 11:57 AM
Lin stays for mine. He has that element about his game that I think we really need. Disposal can let him down, but that half our midfield anyway. He’s hard at it, good runner and good overhead. I think we should at least give him another year. I’d be pretty upset if someone like Lynch or Gowers were retained and Lin let go.

I’m also expecting both Lewis Young and Schache to be gone before trade week finishes. Young to Crows and Schache to North.

GVGjr
24-10-2020, 12:20 PM
I’m also expecting both Lewis Young and Schache to be gone before trade week finishes. Young to Crows and Schache to North.

I heard a whisper that Collingwood might ask the question but North makes sense

We should keep both players though

DOG GOD
24-10-2020, 12:31 PM
[/B]I heard a whisper that Collingwood might ask the question but North makes sense

We should keep both players though

Well with the double standards shown by the MC, I wouldn’t be surprised if both players ask for trades for more opportunity.

ledge
24-10-2020, 12:51 PM
Well with the double standards shown by the MC, I wouldn’t be surprised if both players ask for trades for more opportunity.

Players would definitely get an opportunity at North but it could be in a team with a lot of pain for many years.
I guess the player weighs up to just get a game or to be in a team that is stable and can play finals.

DOG GOD
24-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Players would definitely get an opportunity at North but it could be in a team with a lot of pain for many years.
I guess the player weighs up to just get a game or to be in a team that is stable and can play finals.

True, but most players play AFL to “play” in the AFL, not the VFL. I agree with everything you say though.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Lin stays for mine. He has that element about his game that I think we really need. Disposal can let him down, but that half our midfield anyway. He’s hard at it, good runner and good overhead. I think we should at least give him another year. I’d be pretty upset if someone like Lynch or Gowers were retained and Lin let go.

With the type of players north cut I just don’t see them wanting Schache.

bornadog
24-10-2020, 01:10 PM
Did we win that one or were we a shambles ?

Can't remember which game it was

bulldogsthru&thru
24-10-2020, 01:13 PM
Can't remember which game it was

Hawks game maybe?

bornadog
24-10-2020, 01:16 PM
Hawks game maybe?

I think you are right, because the comments were around how Hawks use to have alot of left footers.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2020, 01:22 PM
I'd give Jong 1 year and really, he only survives because of our poor list management. There's 8+ guys ahead of him waiting to be delisted.

I don't mind Jong but you can't keep hoping he has an injury free run at it forever, particularly when he's on the fringes. Next year has to be his last opportunity.

ledge
24-10-2020, 01:45 PM
I think you are right, because the comments were around how Hawks use to have alot of left footers.

So it worked ! Keep recruiting them I say.

bornadog
24-10-2020, 01:50 PM
I'd give Jong 1 year and really, he only survives because of our poor list management. There's 8+ guys ahead of him waiting to be delisted.

I don't mind Jong but you can't keep hoping he has an injury free run at it forever, particularly when he's on the fringes. Next year has to be his last opportunity.

I agree, but I suspect he gets two

Bulldog Revolution
24-10-2020, 01:55 PM
I thought Lin showed this year that when he gets a run at it he is a good player and adds to our group

Im fine with keeping him involved - hes the type of player I could imagine having a great September in our next flag

bulldogsthru&thru
24-10-2020, 02:18 PM

Can’t think of too many other games where Duryea, Roarke Smith and Suckling all played.

So to answer Ledge’s question it was one of our better performances for the year.

DOG GOD
24-10-2020, 03:01 PM
With the type of players north cut I just don’t see them wanting Schache.

Don’t they only have Larkey as a fwd ? With Brown and wood out the door surely they need a decent fwd.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Don’t they only have Larkey as a fwd ? With Brown and wood out the door surely they need a decent fwd.

Agreed they need a forward. More thinking they cut out players who lack physicality and intensity like Wood and wanting to push out Polec.

DOG GOD
24-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Agreed they need a forward. More thinking they cut out players who lack physicality and intensity like Wood and wanting to push out Polec.

Ah I see. Fair point. Will be interesting to see what they do. They will have to draft/trade some established players who have been cut. Not necessarily coz they suck, but maybe more so due to cut lists.

Mofra
26-10-2020, 10:27 AM
FA Corr to the backline, Walker plays forward next year. Xerri will rest forward too.

Bullies
26-10-2020, 08:27 PM
Anyone else had any mail that we are into Mason Cox ? Rendell says he is one of the smartest ruckman he has worked with. Doesn't get much of a go with Grundy doing all the ruck work.

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 08:39 PM
Anyone else had any mail that we are into Mason Cox ? Rendell says he is one of the smartest ruckman he has worked with. Doesn't get much of a go with Grundy doing all the ruck work.

The speculation has been around for a while. Not sure if it has any merit

Happy Days
26-10-2020, 08:44 PM
The speculation has been around for a while. Not sure if it has any merit

I saw another rumour that Pies are into Dale. I don't want Cox on our list but I could think of a worse outcome.

azabob
26-10-2020, 08:46 PM
I’d be ok to straight swap Dale for Cox.

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 08:49 PM
I saw another rumour that Pies are into Dale. I don't want Cox on our list but I could think of a worse outcome.

I heard it on SEN around 6pm for the first time. While it would solve out 2nd ruck issue the thought of Bruce and Cox as our key forwards doesn't excite me

Dale for a 2nd rounder might go part of the way to help solve our Ugle-Hagan challenges

EasternWest
26-10-2020, 08:49 PM
I’d be ok to straight swap Dale for Cox.

Me too.

I don't mind Mason. And it keeps Dunks out of the ruck.

Plus Cox fits my "decent human" requirement. Even though he plays for the Pies.

azabob
26-10-2020, 08:53 PM
Apparently Lachie Young to Kangaroos.

2 year deal.

azabob
26-10-2020, 08:55 PM

2 year deal.

Reported by Cal Twoomey so a pretty reliable source.

soupman
26-10-2020, 08:56 PM
I don't hate Cox, but he is the anti Bevo player.

Like a siege weapon he is good only in very specific areas and often is more about disrupting the opposition than being a threat himself. You wheel him around the ground to where you think he will provide the best value contest to contest.

I like that we are trying to fix the English issue, I'm not sure he is it though. If he and Hannan are our only two ins it's the ultimate "kind of fixed it without actually fixing it" trade period of all time.

soupman
26-10-2020, 08:57 PM

2 year deal.

Lachie or Lewis?

EasternWest
26-10-2020, 08:57 PM

2 year deal.

A bit disappointing I quite like Lachie

azabob
26-10-2020, 08:58 PM
Lachie or Lewis?

Lachie.

He rejected our one year deal and automatically becomes a delisted free agent allowing North to sign him. No trade required.

EasternWest
26-10-2020, 09:00 PM
Lachie.

He rejected our one year deal and automatically becomes a delisted free agent allowing North to sign him. No trade required.

Can't blame him given the added surety.

bornadog
26-10-2020, 09:06 PM

2 year deal.

Sneaky pricks

Roos to use little-known rule to poach Bulldogs defender (https://www.afl.com.au/news/523051/roos-to-use-little-known-rule-to-poach-bulldogs-defender)

Grantysghost
26-10-2020, 09:12 PM
Not sure that's the greatest career move. Why are we losing guys?
Edit : Just read he was offered a third rookie deal can't blame him at all.

jazzadogs
26-10-2020, 09:14 PM

Move to a club with no players, where you will get to play your preferred position in the seniors, from a club with so many half-back flankers you have to play on the wing/HFF? I think it's a decent career move.

He will do well there. I am also comfortable with us only offering one year.

Bullies
26-10-2020, 09:22 PM
Can't blame him given the added surety. He will make it as well given time. His younger brother at Freo is a gun.

Grantysghost
26-10-2020, 09:23 PM
Move to a club with no players, where you will get to play your preferred position in the seniors, from a club with so many half-back flankers you have to play on the wing/HFF? I think it's a decent career move.

He will do well there. I am also comfortable with us only offering one year.

Yep that makes sense. Norf though....might be wound up before that second year kicks in.

The Underdog
26-10-2020, 09:27 PM
Can't blame him given the added surety.

Nope, you can’t blame him, but I have to say I’m pretty annoyed if we didn’t see this coming. Although, I rate him and would have been happy to add him to the main list, so to lose him for nothing is pretty disappointing.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-10-2020, 09:42 PM
Not too bothered by that to be honest.

Hope he goes OK at Norf.

Dry Rot
26-10-2020, 09:51 PM

He will do well there.

Young will get oodles of action and possessions in the North backline next year, along with their other defenders.

comrade
26-10-2020, 09:57 PM
That sucks, he has talent and North get him for literally nothing. Not a great start to the post season.

ledge
26-10-2020, 10:03 PM

Well officially this is the only one so far and I believe you have to drop 2 off the list and replace 4.
So that’s 6 in all .
Dickson retired and Young the only two at this time.

The Pie Man
26-10-2020, 10:13 PM
Part of the article is that we’re claiming we offered a primary list contract and will seek a trade.

Either way, he’s gone. Tis a shame

jeemak
26-10-2020, 10:35 PM
Good on him, hopefully we can get something usable as a trade. There's a logjam of folks playing in defence where he's best suited so probably the right call for everyone.

soupman
26-10-2020, 10:41 PM
Everyone wins but us. North get a young talented guy that has had two years in the AFL system already and is ready to go, Lachie gets to join a club with mountains of opportunity available and a salary cap that has to be spent on whoever puts their hand up in the next 12 months and we lose a promising youngster for nothing.

FrediKanoute
26-10-2020, 10:48 PM
We have to make changes and there are going to be guys like Lachie who given time could make it, but will be sacrificed. End of the day good luck to him.

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 11:28 PM

2 year deal.

He would be a disappointing loss as far as I am concerned

Happy Days
26-10-2020, 11:31 PM
So he’s the player that North were interested in to make the Goldstein trade work. Hopefully they’re happy with Lachie and a second.

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 11:31 PM

They say it's a little know deal but it applies to every potential 3rd year rookie spot
I can't understand why he wouldn't have been promoted to the senior list

josie
26-10-2020, 11:40 PM
AFL changed article about Lachie Young within last hour or so-now saying Dogs offered a spot in main list for him so North have to trade for him. May not get a lot but better than nothing and may help with points for JUH.

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 11:53 PM
AFL changed article about Lachie Young within last hour or so-now saying Dogs offered a spot in main list for him so North have to trade for him. May not get a lot but better than nothing and may help with points for JUH.

Thanks Josie, the upgrade with the article now makes sense and if Lachie wants to try North because of greater opportunity we should get something for him.
I didn't think Power would mess it up.

I think he is a good player so I hope we can talk him around.

By the way, I'm not sure there is a rookie list next season.

G-Mo77
27-10-2020, 05:28 AM
Late 3rd/Early 4th should be enough. I actually thought he was on the main list?

GVGjr
27-10-2020, 09:18 AM
Late 3rd/Early 4th should be enough. I actually thought he was on the main list?

He was on the rookie list for this season

Mofra
27-10-2020, 10:21 AM
I'm thinking it will be a token pick where we try and pick up some, points. Lachie and our 5th for their 4th.

Happy Days
27-10-2020, 10:25 AM
We actually need to try and leverage this into getting Goldstein. They've done the heavy lifting for us and identified a player that they want from us without us having to make a decision to trade someone away against their will.

We would be fools to just speedily rush the deal along without even trying.

Bulldog4life
27-10-2020, 10:37 AM
Me too.

I don't mind Mason. And it keeps Dunks out of the ruck.

Plus Cox fits my "decent human" requirement. Even though he plays for the Pies.

Unlike that bloke from the Deees.

G-Mo77
27-10-2020, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking it will be a token pick where we try and pick up some, points. Lachie and our 5th for their 4th.

Which is fine with me. I'm not that fussed by it, points are probably more valuable to us.

DOG GOD
27-10-2020, 01:58 PM
Lachie was not going to be in our top 25-26 players next year, so I’m ok with this...the extra points will come in handy

macca
27-10-2020, 11:59 PM
Lachie was not going to be in our top 25-26 players next year, so I’m ok with this...the extra points will come in handy
Your probably right for this year . It be sad to see him go as we have Invested 3 years into him and his only got more upside .The problem I
See is the 3-4 players ahead of him , they don’t make us over better but just solid footballers : Hayes , Roarke , Dureya ( kicking can be questionable) suckling( his lost durability and pace ) I just have a bad feeling his going to be one who will get better after 20-30 games, and we do not reap the rewards of his upside

dog town
28-10-2020, 06:22 AM
We will regret losing Young in my view.

Vred
28-10-2020, 06:38 AM
I've had a really slow night at work so I'll sum up what I've read and seen from various sources, facebook pages, discord servers, forums and chat rooms:

Confirmed requesting trade to Dogs:
Mitch Hannan

Dogs have inquired about and been told no:
Todd Golestein
Tom Phillips
Lewis Melican
Charlie Spargo
Sam Simpson

Dogs have inquired and are still talking to:
Jayden Laverde
Jack Gunston
Tom McDonald
Darcy MacPherson
Mason Cox

Dogs players confirmed leaving:
Lachie Young

Bullshit media hype stories:
Josh Dunkley

Clubs very interested in our first round pick:
Adelaide
Hawthorne

Also have it on two separate sources that Esava Ratugoleas manager has a meeting with Sam this week to see what we can offer for him. Hopefully this has saved some people some mindless web surfing.

GVGjr
28-10-2020, 09:44 AM
We will regret losing Young in my view.

I think so as well but all may not be lost

westbulldog
28-10-2020, 11:01 AM
Yes to Gunston. Agreed - Bullshit media hype stories: Josh Dunkley and yes to Esava Ratugoleas who at 22 has a huge upside. Mason Cox - what planet are we on ?:)

Vred
28-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Yes to Gunston. Agreed - Bullshit media hype stories: Josh Dunkley and yes to Esava Ratugoleas who at 22 has a huge upside. Mason Cox - what planet are we on ?:)

Lots of conflicting reports on where we are with Mason Cox talk, some people reporting meetings with management, others saying a flat out no. Unsure, I don't want him so I hope we don't go down that path.
Gunston will be a hard pick up, Hawks won't let him go easily, Dogs want him from a leadership perspective, Dogs in general are looking for proven leaders to help Bont out.
Dunkley I'm 99% confident will tell Essenton to walk.

Esava Ratugoleas is young and huge upsides, watched a lot of Geelong games this year, I think he'd fit in very well and could develop into a very good 1-2 Duo with English.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 11:40 AM
We desperately need TRUE forwards, so we should be absolutely asking the question about Gunston, Breust and Mihoceck.

Esava fits the MC mindset so I’m hoping that comes to fruition.

Big fat no to mason cox. Could not imagine him and Bruce in that 50....god no.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2020, 12:03 PM
We desperately need TRUE forwards, so we should be absolutely asking the question about Gunston, Breust and Mihoceck.

Esava fits the MC mindset so I’m hoping that comes to fruition.

Big fat no to mason cox. Could not imagine him and Bruce in that 50....god no.

Esava is absolutely terrible and the worst of ALL mentioned options.

wimberga
28-10-2020, 12:06 PM
Hearing that Corr to Norf is not as sewn up as expected and we are getting in his ear...

Could be a bit to play out.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2020, 12:09 PM
Hearing that Corr to Norf is not as sewn up as expected and we are getting in his ear...

Could be a bit to play out.

I haven't paid that much attention to Corr, is he worth going after? Seemed a bit vanilla... but our back half needs a bit of reliable vanilla.

soupman
28-10-2020, 12:10 PM
I haven't paid that much attention to Corr, is he worth going after? Seemed a bit vanilla... but our back half needs a bit of reliable vanilla.

Decent one on one and a tidy kick (usually takes their kick outs). Probably an upgrade on Cordy, and i think is big enough to take the main guys. Hardly an inspiring target but I do think from what I've seen he could be value for money assuming you get him for an average wage.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 12:13 PM
Esava is absolutely terrible and the worst of ALL mentioned options.

He’s been average the games I’ve seen but at 22-23 surely he has some upside left. As I said he fits the MC mindset. Personally I’d prefer Goldy, but no way is Bevo etc going with that. You’d prefer Cox TBB ?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2020, 12:21 PM
He’s been average the games I’ve seen but at 22-23 surely he has some upside left. As I said he fits the MC mindset. Personally I’d prefer Goldy, but no way is Bevo etc going with that. You’d prefer Cox TBB ?

I agree Esava fits the flexibility mantra, but he's not actually any good at either role. I get he's young and could improve, but I just don't see what he brings besides athleticism. If he was good, Geelong would play him every week given they've had their own issues with ruck / second forward for several years. He's basically Majak Daw pre injury.

I like Cox as a cheaper, mature, know-what-you-get option but it doesn't sound likely to happen.

Mofra
28-10-2020, 12:58 PM
I agree Esava fits the flexibility mantra, but he's not actually any good at either role. I get he's young and could improve, but I just don't see what he brings besides athleticism. If he was good, Geelong would play him every week given they've had their own issues with ruck / second forward for several years. He's basically Majak Daw pre injury.

I like Cox as a cheaper, mature, know-what-you-get option but it doesn't sound likely to happen.
Sav is very athletic, but is Michael Gardiner with less football IQ. He will frustrate the hell out of us.

Mofra
28-10-2020, 01:00 PM
Decent one on one and a tidy kick (usually takes their kick outs). Probably an upgrade on Cordy, and i think is big enough to take the main guys. Hardly an inspiring target but I do think from what I've seen he could be value for money assuming you get him for an average wage.
North were picking him up for a reported $600k for 4-5 years. That's crazy money for us to pay on a marginal upgrade on Cordy at best.

Personally, I'd like us to wither take someone who can release Keath to play more of an intercept role or we take noone at all.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 01:14 PM
North were picking him up for a reported $600k for 4-5 years. That's crazy money for us to pay on a marginal upgrade on Cordy at best.

Personally, I'd like us to wither take someone who can release Keath to play more of an intercept role or we take noone at all.
I agree, we need someone who can take the Hawkins/Dixon/king types...a Dougal Howard clone would be ideal.

comrade
28-10-2020, 01:26 PM
Reminded again today that Fergus Greene has been on the list for 4 years and played 5 games, all in 2018 and Brad Lynch has been on the list for 5 years, played 9 games all in 2018.

9 years combined for 14 games, all occuring in one season.

That is legendary eker status and neither of them are over 200cm!

Absolute list management insanity.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Reminded again today that Fergus Greene has been on the list for 4 years and played 5 games, all in 2018 and Brad Lynch has been on the list for 5 years, played 9 games all in 2018.

Geez it does look really bad when you list it like that. Pure insanity.

comrade
28-10-2020, 01:35 PM
Geez it does look really bad when you list it like that. Pure insanity.

Fingers crossed Sam Power has the mettle to whip the list into shape because at the moment, it is carrying some serious dead weight.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 01:37 PM
Fingers crossed Sam Power has the mettle to whip the list into shape because at the moment, it is carrying some serious dead weight.
Yep, we could easily cull 6-7 of these above types

Vred
28-10-2020, 01:41 PM

id keep Greene, shows some very good potential, was kicking big bags in scratch matches this season, talked about highly at the club as well.

comrade
28-10-2020, 01:42 PM
id keep Greene, shows some very good potential, was kicking big bags in scratch matches this season, talked about highly at the club as well.

Injury has cruelled him but 4 years is long enough.

bornadog
28-10-2020, 01:54 PM

How long can you keep him? He will be 23 in December and played 5 games.

We need to cull at least 7 players or even more if we can.

Retired/Delist
Dickson - done
La Young - done
Greene
Lynch
Gowers,
Porter,

Maybe
Kharmis
Hayes
Cavarra
Trengove unless we can't get another ruck
Suckling - retire?

Almost
Dunks

Hanging in there due to contract
Dale
Lloyd

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 01:56 PM
How long can you keep him? He will be 23 in December and played 5 games.

We need to cull at least 7 players or even more if we can.

Retired/Delist
Dickson - done
La Young - done
Greene
Lynch
Gowers,
Porter,

Maybe
Kharmis
Hayes
Cavarra
Trengove unless we can't get another ruck
Suckling - retire?

Almost
Dunks

Hanging in there due to contract
Dale
Lloyd

If we got Hannan and Lonie for instance, then Cavarra is GONE.
Greene, Lynch, Gowers and Porter are definite outs for mine with Hayes hanging by a thread.
I think Trengove and Suckling will hinge on list size.

jeemak
28-10-2020, 02:36 PM
I don't understand Lynch being kept after 2019, though Greene I can given he was injured for the majority of 2019. The numbers on paper for Greene look ordinary, but dig a little deeper and they're fine.

Mofra
28-10-2020, 02:40 PM
Yes, "potential" - but we're picking up Hannan who leapfrogs him, surely. Bailey Dale (if he stays) is ahead of Fergus. Sam Lloyd probably ahead of him as well, and is contracted for 2021. JUH would probably play ahead of him next year.

Kieran McGuinness kicked three goal on Brian Lake in match simulation one pre-season too. In an ideal world we'd be able to keep guys like Greene but list spots will be tight and we're bringing in three kids and Hannan at a minimum, and have flagged that as a team we really don;t want to be getting younger so would consider more mature talent as well.

GVGjr
28-10-2020, 03:27 PM

You know that just because he is 22 there isn't necessarily a huge upside. I suspect he might have already peaked

bornadog
28-10-2020, 03:34 PM
I don't understand Lynch being kept after 2019

After his performance in 2018, he got a two year extension.

Bulldog4life
28-10-2020, 03:56 PM
It has been a difficult season this one for the players playing little or next to nothing games in the seniors and no VFL. Playing only practice matches. Hard to make decisions on who should be dismissed.

jeemak
28-10-2020, 03:58 PM
After his performance in 2018, he got a two year extension.

If I had a resource to check these things before I posted about them it would make life a whole lot easier! :)

Apologies Axe, I'll be more careful next time!

Wonder if we shopped him around at the end of last year.

Axe Man
28-10-2020, 03:58 PM
You know that just because he is 22 there isn't necessarily a huge upside. I suspect he might have already peaked

Apparently he only played 4 full years of footy before being drafted. I think it's more likely that he still has some improvement left in him than him having already peaked as a tall at just 22, with less experience than most his age.

From the bits and pieces I've seen of him he seemed to often do something brilliant, soon followed by something boneheaded. However I think it was the Richmond game late in the season that changed my opinion of him somewhat, marking everything that came his way. I would definitely be interested.

jeemak
28-10-2020, 04:01 PM
Folks have rated him extremely highly as an up and coming prospect in the past. I haven't seen enough of him, but like Axe what I have seen seems often to be something great followed up by a sprayed kick or something completely stupid.

Axe Man
28-10-2020, 04:10 PM
If I had a resource to check these things before I posted about them it would make life a whole lot easier! :)

Apologies Axe, I'll be more careful next time!

Wonder if we shopped him around at the end of last year.

I really need to speak to GVGjr about some flashing lights or perhaps some annoying popups to direct people to my most excellent thread.

It's funny Lynch 2018 has some parallels to Lachie Young 2020. It seemed we rightly or wrongly panicked a little when Lynch's late season form drew the attention of other clubs and we quickly signed him up. Now this deal mostly seems to draw criticism on here.

Now some people are seemingly critical that we hadn't secured Young and will likely lose him to North (having shown less than Lynch did at senior level). Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

G-Mo77
28-10-2020, 04:11 PM
How are we going to fit Hannan, Cox, Ratugolea and there was someone else were "getting"

Who and what are we trading for them to come here?

bornadog
28-10-2020, 04:14 PM
How are we going to fit Hannan, Cox, Ratugolea and there was someone else were "getting"

and JUH.

We wouldn't be trading for both Cox and Ratugolea as the second rucks, it would be one or the other.

Axe Man
28-10-2020, 04:18 PM

Hannan will cost next to nothing. I don't think anybody has suggested we would get both Cox and Ratugolea. Will likely get neither, but 1 at the most. Something like a future second round pick or a pick(s) received through trades of TBA*.

*All speculation but Dunkley, Dale, Schache among names floated.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 04:19 PM

Most likely , lach young, Dale, Schache and Lew Young will get us draft picks to ontrade.

I can see us getting Hannan, Lonie and Ratugolea for the above lot.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 05:40 PM
Easton Wood signed to another 2 years...just announced on trade radio.
Hmmmm.

G-Mo77
28-10-2020, 05:50 PM
Easton Wood signed to another 2 years...just announced on trade radio.
Hmmmm.

Yeah, pretty sure that happened a few weeks ago.

bornadog
28-10-2020, 05:53 PM
Yeah, pretty sure that happened a few weeks ago.

Only just signed the deal.

G-Mo77
28-10-2020, 06:47 PM
Only just signed the deal.

Yeah just read it before. I could have sworn I read something about this weeks ago. Pretty sure it was in here

Axe Man
28-10-2020, 06:57 PM
Yeah just read it before. I could have sworn I read something about this weeks ago. Pretty sure it was in here

Was reported weeks ago, just wasn't made official until today.

G-Mo77
28-10-2020, 07:01 PM

Thanks Axeman, I'm not insane. :)

EasternWest
28-10-2020, 08:28 PM

Could you make a thread so we know what player's contract status is?

SquirrelGrip
28-10-2020, 09:06 PM
Could you make a thread so we know what player's contract status is?

And if you could sticky it as well, that would be really helpful...

EasternWest
28-10-2020, 09:33 PM
And if you could sticky it as well, that would be really helpful...

I wonder if Axe is compiling a list of conspirators for when he lodges his bullying claim to GVGjr?

jeemak
28-10-2020, 09:35 PM
I wonder if Axe is compiling a list of conspirators for when he lodges his bullying claim to GVGjr?

I think the list is writing itself.

EasternWest
28-10-2020, 09:36 PM
I think the list is writing itself.

Maybe we could get it stickied?

comrade
29-10-2020, 10:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxMc22UBWVM

Came across this highlight reel from the 2016 GF and for all the stick he copped during his career, Tom Boyd was actually a very decent ruck as highlighted in this clip. Though a comeback will never happen, he'd be the perfect partner for English right now. Such a shame that it had to end the way it did.

Axe Man
29-10-2020, 10:19 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/wMF1QWCh/080cd686188041c1-822x617.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Dancin' Douggy
29-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Yep it could have worked well. Liam Picken and Clay smith would transform our forward line too. 3 cases of pure bad luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxMc22UBWVM

Came across this highlight reel from the 2016 GF and for all the stick he copped during his career, Tom Boyd was actually a very decent ruck as highlighted in this clip. Though a comeback will never happen, he'd be the perfect partner for English right now. Such a shame that it had to end the way it did.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-10-2020, 10:59 AM
Yep it could have worked well. Liam Picken and Clay smith would transform our forward line too. 3 cases of pure bad luck.

He didn't impose himself as well, but Tom was a Tom Hawkins equivalent but probably more apt in the ruck and a little less so up forward. Obviously battling mental demons and he was still young so you never know but you and comrade are right. He would be the perfect tandem with Tim.

Between him, Picken, Clay and Moz, they are our missing components.

.....oh and yes BAD I do know you've been banging on about this :)

Vred
29-10-2020, 11:05 AM
Sadly I can confirm the Dunkley rumor does have legs, his only looking to walk for the money / brother aspect, and won't announce anything UNTIL a deal is done.

Dogs are only accepting overs (Currently wanting pick 7 & 8 + a player), ball is in Bombers court

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 11:08 AM
Tippa and 7 will be ok 7 to Collingwood for Treloar. Tippa and Treloar in Dunks out. Won't (can't) happen but that would be amazing.

I'm getting more excited about how much the Bombers want Dunkley.

bornadog
29-10-2020, 11:13 AM
He didn't impose himself as well, but Tom was a Tom Hawkins equivalent but probably more apt in the ruck and a little less so up forward. Obviously battling mental demons and he was still young so you never know but you and comrade are right. He would be the perfect tandem with Tim.

Between him, Picken, Clay and Moz, they are our missing components.

.....oh and yes BAD I do know you've been banging on about this :)

Haha, I was only banging on about it as that was our ruck strategy that people said we didn't have. Fell apart in 2019 and we couldn't fix it in the last trade period due to lack of picks - now we need to fix it.

I still think Schache could be a ruck/Fwd as he did play ruck as a junior.

bornadog
29-10-2020, 11:15 AM
Sadly I can confirm the Dunkley rumor does have legs, his only looking to walk for the money / brother aspect, and won't announce anything UNTIL a deal is done.

Dogs are only accepting overs (Currently wanting pick 7 & 8 + a player), ball is in Bombers court

That is what I have gathered too, but didn't hear about picks 7 and 8.

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Trade radio suggesting that moving pick 12 to Adelaide has been discussed. They've got a heap of picks.

DOG GOD
29-10-2020, 11:23 AM
Trade radio suggesting that moving pick 12 to Adelaide has been discussed. They've got a heap of picks.

So we’d give pick 12 and get a 3-4 picks in the 20-50 range ?

Axe Man
29-10-2020, 11:31 AM

It's all about points to match the JUH bid.

Pick 12 is worth 1268 points. We will be aiming to exchange for picks worth more points.

EG Crows 20 (912) + 29 (653) = 1565

or Crows 20 (912) + 44 (362) + 50 (273) = 1547

Adelaide is also understood to have enquired about pick No.12 from the Western Bulldogs, who are looking to trade down the draft order due to their first-round selection likely being absorbed when it matches a bid for highly-rated Academy prospect Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

Along with picks No.1 and No.8, the Crows also have selections No.20, 29, 44, 50, 60, 74 and 92 – any number of which they could bundle together and offer to the Bulldogs to secure that earlier selection.

bornadog
29-10-2020, 11:32 AM

Pick 12 is now 13 according to the latest draft order

EDIT: Sorry error, looked at wrong link.

Correct order is we are still 12. see here (https://www.afl.com.au/news/523048/official-draft-order-your-club-s-picks-ahead-of-the-trade-period)

Axe Man
29-10-2020, 11:35 AM
Pick 12 is now 13 according to the latest draft order here (https://www.afl.com.au/news/501360/indicative-draft-order-your-club-s-picks-as-they-stand)

And will likely be shuffled back even further with potential free agency compo (they are talking Daniher receiving band 1 now) and other academy bids. However the theory remains the same.

Edit: wrong link BAD ;)

DOG GOD
29-10-2020, 11:36 AM
It's all about points to match the JUH bid.

Pick 12 is worth 1268 points. We will be aiming to exchange for picks worth more points.

EG Crows 20 (912) + 29 (653) = 1565

or Crows 20 (912) + 44 (362) + 50 (273) = 1547

Thanks for that. Yep, certainly makes sense. First rounders are worthless to us. Actually if we were to somehow prize picks 7&8 from ess for Dunkley, I wonder what we would do with those ? Maybe 7 to Coll for treloar, and 8 for another player ?

Grantysghost
29-10-2020, 11:37 AM
Pick 12 is now 13 according to the latest draft order here (https://www.afl.com.au/news/501360/indicative-draft-order-your-club-s-picks-as-they-stand)

That's wrong I think. Collingwood finished higher they've got 14 Cats 13 (Kelly deal WC future 1st). We are 12. Unless something's changed?

bornadog
Thanks for that. Yep, certainly makes sense. First rounders are worthless to us. Actually if we were to somehow prize picks 7&8 from ess for Dunkley, I wonder what we would do with those ? Maybe 7 to Coll for treloar, and 8 for another player ?

Essendon have to get those picks first - currently held by Carlton and Adelaide.

bulldogsthru&thru

Hang on, why are Collingwood in front of us? Are draft positions not based on results after finals rather than ladder position at the end of the regular season?

soupman
29-10-2020, 11:39 AM
I was thinking back to Ratugolea. I don't really rate him, and I'm not sure I would be comfortable with trading him in to do specifically this, but is there any merit in playing him as a tall defender?

He has the size and athleticism to go with anyone, is aggressive in the air and is definitely more physical than any of Gardner, Cordy and Young. I'm not at all sold on it but do think he could develop in the role as the main stopper. I mean if Liam Jones can do it despite being useless at ground level then why not Esava?

soupman
29-10-2020, 11:40 AM
Hang on, why are Collingwood in front of us? Are draft positions not based on results after finals rather than ladder position at the end of the regular season?

Yeah West Coasts (which is now Geelongs) should be before St.Kilda and Collingwoods and after ours making us 12.

Axe Man
29-10-2020, 11:41 AM

You are right, that link is a month old and out of date, here is the current order (we have pick 12):

Official draft order: Your club's picks ahead of the Trade Period (https://www.afl.com.au/news/523048/official-draft-order-your-club-s-picks-ahead-of-the-trade-period)

DOG GOD
29-10-2020, 11:47 AM
Essendon have to get those picks first - currently held by Carlton and Adelaide.
At the moment yes, but they will get carltons pick 7 for saad and a top 10 compensation for Daniher which would be 8, pushing Adelaide back.

bornadog
29-10-2020, 11:57 AM
And will likely be shuffled back even further with potential free agency compo (they are talking Daniher receiving band 1 now) and other academy bids. However the theory remains the same.

Edit: wrong link BAD ;)

Thanks.

I did a search on AFL.com.au and that is the first one that came up. I should have checked, but also shows how good their site is.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Thanks.

I did a search on AFL.com.au and that is the first one that came up. I should have checked, but also shows how good their site is.

Their site is awful. Just awful. Their latest update just ruined it. They even got rid of the match centre top scroll banner with all the games. And now the front page is just full of useless videos with no relevant news anywhere. It's impossible to find anything.

hujsh
29-10-2020, 12:24 PM
I was thinking back to Ratugolea. I don't really rate him, and I'm not sure I would be comfortable with trading him in to do specifically this, but is there any merit in playing him as a tall defender?

He has the size and athleticism to go with anyone, is aggressive in the air and is definitely more physical than any of Gardner, Cordy and Young. I'm not at all sold on it but do think he could develop in the role as the main stopper. I mean if Liam Jones can do it despite being useless at ground level then why not Esava?

Was compared with Majak earlier and the move seemed to work for him.

GVGjr
29-10-2020, 12:30 PM
You are right, that link is a month old and out of date, here is the current order (we have pick 12):

Official draft order: Your club's picks ahead of the Trade Period (https://www.afl.com.au/news/523048/official-draft-order-your-club-s-picks-ahead-of-the-trade-period)

Thanks Axeman, you certainly bring law, order and structure to the perplexing footy questions

wimberga
29-10-2020, 12:37 PM

If we could somehow also negotiate for the Crows to NOT bid on JUH that would be stellar.

bornadog
29-10-2020, 12:54 PM
If we could somehow also negotiate for the Crows to NOT bid on JUH that would be stellar.

What benefit do they get by bidding? Is it just incase we don't match?

The Adelaide Connection
29-10-2020, 12:59 PM

It will warm the cockles of their spiteful, black hearts.

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 01:13 PM

Great post.

mjp
29-10-2020, 03:55 PM

I like this article which says (and gives reasons why) the Cows should bid on Campbell rather than JUH.

https://breakinglines.substack.com/p/the-crows-poker-face

bornadog
29-10-2020, 04:30 PM
I like this article which says (and gives reasons why) the Cows should bid on Campbell rather than JUH.

Thanks for that, excellent analysis.

DOG GOD
29-10-2020, 05:01 PM

Cool article. Will be very interesting to see what Crows do here. I’m wondering if we mentioned about trading pick 12 to them for some later picks, IF they didn’t place a bid. North haven’t been known to bid on academy players, so the longer it goes, the less points it will cost.

Bullies
29-10-2020, 05:02 PM

He has the size and athleticism to go with anyone, is aggressive in the air and is definitely more physical than any of Gardner, Cordy and Young. I'm not at all sold on it but do think he could develop in the role as the main stopper. I mean if Liam Jones can do it despite being useless at ground level then why not Esava? A lot of Cats supporters don't rate Esava either. They don't believe he has that toughness in him nor the smarts. I would like it if he was more physical than Cordy. I think your under playing the physicality in Cordy. Jury out for me.

Mofra
29-10-2020, 05:07 PM
Cool article. Will be very interesting to see what Crows do here. I’m wondering if we mentioned about trading pick 12 to them for some later picks, IF they didn’t place a bid. North haven’t been known to bid on academy players, so the longer it goes, the less points it will cost.
Dear north, we'll let Lachie Young walk to you for nothing. Just a little favour...

Doc26
29-10-2020, 06:47 PM
Dear north, we'll let Lachie Young walk to you for nothing. Just a little favour...

Is there any precedent as yet whereby the AFL has inhibited this scenario from occurring? If not, I suspect their eyes will be all over us. It has connotations of the Veale deal.

GVGjr
29-10-2020, 07:38 PM
Is there any precedent as yet whereby the AFL has inhibited this scenario from occurring? If not, I suspect their eyes will be all over us. It has connotations of the Veale deal.

The better scenario is a Shane Biggs like trade that acknowledges that the player has more opportunities at another club and a late swap of picks to achieve that
For all we know, North and many other clubs might rate Logan McDonald or host of other players ahead of Ugle-Hagan

Club statement writes itself. "We were planning on using Lachie Young as a 3rd tall forward in the 2021 season but after the trade for Mitch Hannan we realised that opportunities for Young were significantly reduced. We canvassed other teams but realised that North presented the best opportunity for Young so we did what we could to facilitate the trade. We thank Young for his service and we wish him well and hope he has a long career with North"

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 08:20 PM

Sinister.

Dry Rot
29-10-2020, 09:35 PM

What do you think of Hollands?

soupman
30-10-2020, 12:55 AM
Lachie Schultz is still out of contract at Freo. Small forward (178cm), Bendigo Pioneers/Williamstown boy, good tackler, pacy enough and a natural crumber with 24 games already in him so past that initial stage of development. He played every game for Freo this year so you have to assume if he hasn't signed yet he must be considering offers elsewhere, I really hope we are one of the clubs talking to him. I've really liked him in the games I have seen him play this year.

Brett Bewley is another Freo guy still out of contract after playing almost all season. Nice left foot kick, hard running link up winger. Not super quick but I think he could be a decent option to fill that wing role we have struggled with, and would cost very little. At worst he would be a better depth option than the likes of Hayes imo.

bornadog
30-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Barrett is correct here - Happydays would be a fan. He is also a North fan so may know something.

IF ...

you don't secure a back-up ruck option for English in the Trade Period ...
THEN ...

season 2021 will end the same way as the past two – good enough to make finals but not win one. Still reckon English is going to be elite, but that that moment won’t arrive for up to another three years. Would be silly to not ask the question of Goldstein.

Mofra
30-10-2020, 10:34 AM
What ruck options are there? Goldy looks set to stay, Stef Martin is gettable but looked cooked unless we want to manage him and roll him out only every second week.
Hayes at Port is even more raw than English, Hickey and Preuss already have new teams just pending trade week (Sydney & GWS).

The only one I can see is Ryan Abbott as a DFA but he's 29 and I thought Bevo ruled that out.

DOG GOD
30-10-2020, 10:38 AM
What ruck options are there? Goldy looks set to stay, Stef Martin is gettable but looked cooked unless we want to manage him and roll him out only every second week.
Hayes at Port is even more raw than English, Hickey and Preuss already have new teams just pending trade week (Sydney & GWS).

The only one I can see is Ryan Abbott as a DFA but he's 29 and I thought Bevo ruled that out.

Pretty much just leaves Cox.
I still reckon we will play a similar style next year and hope that English improves again, with him as our main man, and use Bruce, Bont and Jong (if he’s there).

bornadog
30-10-2020, 10:40 AM
Pretty much just leaves Cox.
I still reckon we will play a similar style next year and hope that English improves again, with him as our main man, and use Bruce, Bont and Jong (if he’s there).

Still need a backup ruck if Trengove goes?

Can't just have Sweet, a rookie who hasn't even played one game.

DOG GOD
30-10-2020, 10:44 AM
Still need a backup ruck if Trengove goes?

Can't just have Sweet, a rookie who hasn't even played one game.

In all honesty Bornadog, it would not surprise me. Trengove may has well not have been on the list this year as he wasn’t utilised at all in the ruck position. I can’t see Bevo just getting someone for the sake of it. English/Bruce/Sweet I think will be the way in 2021

bornadog
30-10-2020, 10:53 AM
In all honesty Bornadog, it would not surprise me. Trengove may has well not have been on the list this year as he wasn’t utilised at all in the ruck position. I can’t see Bevo just getting someone for the sake of it. English/Bruce/Sweet I think will be the way in 2021

Trengove may end up with another year?

josie
30-10-2020, 10:56 AM
I think it’s such a pity Trengove has not been played more. He is an ok ruck and ok against gorilla forwards. Not great but serviceable. Always gives his all too. Unfathomable that he is in decent $ and not playing at least select games.

Ghost Dog
30-10-2020, 11:00 AM
I think it’s such a pity Trengove has not been played more. He is an ok ruck and ok against gorilla forwards. Not great but serviceable. Always gives his all too. Unfathomable that he is in decent $ and not playing at least select games.

Hey Josie. I missed most of this season. I thought he wasn't on our list anymore! Good god, I agree there. Always liked his effort.

DOG GOD
30-10-2020, 11:12 AM

Yep, was certainly not utilised like he should’ve been. Not sure why. Only Bevo and MC could answer that, but agree, he should’ve been used more especially against the Hawkins/Dixon types. He’s the type that leaves no stone unturned on field, and his leadership would surely be beneficial on field as well.

DOG GOD
30-10-2020, 11:12 AM

I think it will come down to list size. I think he and suckling are both in the gun.

bornadog
30-10-2020, 11:15 AM
I think it will come down to list size. I think he and suckling are both in the gun.

I know that, but as I have said in another post, IF we don't get a ruck, best to keep Trengove for now. He will end up mostly in VFL, but at least if English is injured we have someone.

Alternative is Lew Young and Schache are ruckman for the future.

soupman
30-10-2020, 11:17 AM
What ruck options are there?

Possible rucks include:
-Jon Ceglar/Ben McEvoy. Hawthorn play both in the same side but could afford to let one go. Neither is amazing but can hold their own i the ruck and are semi competent elsewhere defence/forward respectively.
-Mabior Chol. Second ruck who is super mobile and not in their best side.
-Toby Nankervis. Multiple premiership winning tough ruck who I think would compliment English's style. Demonstrated how he can be effective behind the ball in the finals series. Out of contract.
-Levi Casboult. Key forward who holds his own in the ruck. Would give us another marking target, and probably would be cheapish.
-Marc Pittonet. I know he has only been at Carlton for a year but has been competent there, and they seem keen on pumping games into the raw Tom DeKoning (who they love btw and won't trade so don't bother asking) meaning they might be willing to let him go.
-Mason Cox. Obviously been talked about already, out of contract.
-Darcy Fort. Ex Footscray ruck who had some ok games in the ruck this year. I don't rate him but he has looked ok resting forward and kicked 3 goals against us last year.
-Peter Wright. Hasn't really played as a ruck at AFL level and is slow as hell but seems to be available and fits the physical dimensions for the role.
-Zac Smith. Has flirted with being a good ruck without ever actually achieving it, fairly mobile from memory but also a bit of a spud (like most names here tbf)
-Brayden Preuss. Yuck.
-Todd Goldstein. Obviously the best name here. Possibly gettable and would undoubtably make a difference. What would he cost though?
-Peter Ladhams. The kind of player we should be looking to pry out, would be great for us and would form a pretty impressive ruck team with English.
-Callum Sinclair. Perennial second ruck who is ok up forward.
-Nathan Vardy/Tom Hickey. Competent if not wholly uninspiring ruck options that would be free.
-Stefan Martin. Obviously been discussed, could be finished, could be a Ryder like option. Who knows?
-Archie Smith. Looked promising years ago but mediocre as hell since.

There are also a bunch of unproven options. Most of these guys are probably terrible, but on the flipside if they are happy to move to a club where they become the clear number 2 (and possibly a chance to play in tandem with English) then I think we could sell it. Obviously there is no point grabbing them if we rate Sweet higher but based on us almost going out of our way to not pick Sweet even when we didn't plan on playing English as an actual ruck there must be severe doubts there.

On the plus side with these guys they are better options than draftees as they have already had the 2-3 years of AFL development most new rucks need put into them before they are ready, and unlike every other position rucks can be stuck in the wilderness for multiple years and then become good players. Reilly O'Brien is a great recent example of player that never got a chance for ages and then was able to step in and take the number one mantle pretty quickly.

Players that fit this category could include:
-Callum Coleman-Jones. Huge ruck who has only managed 1 game thus far. Was a relatively high draft pick but is stuck behind a couple of rucks at Richmond.
-Connor Ballenden. Giant key forward/ruck who managed a couple of games this year.
-Tristan Xerri. Played as Ben brown lite a few games this year with poor results. Unsure what he is like as a an actual ruckman.
-Sam Hayes, Sam Alabakis, Bailey Williams, Callum Jamieson. All fit the bill as rucks that haven't been given an opportunity but have been developing behind the scenes.

Also pretty sure Ryan Abbott was offered a new contract and declined to pursue non-AFL opportunities.

GVGjr
30-10-2020, 11:18 AM

Perhaps, but it must be a long shot. Just one game this year is a fair indicator Bevo would rather that English push through without support. Unless Trengove has no other interested teams I'm not sure a similar season in terms of opportunities wouldn't be a good one for him.

bornadog
30-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Perhaps, but it must be a long shot. Just one game this year is a fair indicator Bevo would rather that English push through without support. Unless Trengove has no other interested teams I'm not sure a similar season in terms of opportunities wouldn't be a good one for him.

My statement was made if we don't get another ruckman - we have no alternative if that happens..

Happy Days
30-10-2020, 11:28 AM
If we haven’t even tried to get Goldstein, especially now that they have to trade with us for Young, then heads need to roll.

It’s just so obvious and I refuse to believe that we can’t talk North into moving him if the offer is right. I’d even be fine extending his deal, which IIRC was the sticking point when he almost went to Geelong last time.

If we make this move and do literally nothing else we’re top 4. It’s so simple it makes me want to scream that it’s seemingly being overlooked.

bornadog
30-10-2020, 11:29 AM
If we haven’t even tried to get Goldstein, especially now that they have to trade with us for Young, then heads need to roll.

It’s just so obvious and I refuse to believe that we can’t talk North into moving him if the offer is right. I’d even be fine extending his deal, which IIRC was the sticking point when he almost went to Geelong last time.

If we make this move and do literally nothing else we’re top 4. It’s so simple it makes me want to scream that it’s seemingly being overlooked.

and Damian Barrett agrees with you

The Bulldogs Bite
30-10-2020, 11:29 AM
I think we simply have to get somebody. That somebody might even be a player that we don't consider part of our best 25, but purely for an emergency in case we get injuries.

The fact that it's come to this is pretty disappointing and a concern - clubs really shouldn't ever face a situation where they essentially only have 1-2 rucks on their list.

Worst case scenario if we can't get Goldy/McEvoy etc (likely), if we don't want Cox, then I can see us looking at somebody like Vardy.

bornadog
30-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Possible rucks include:
-Jon Ceglar/Ben McEvoy. Hawthorn play both in the same side but could afford to let one go. Neither is amazing but can hold their own i the ruck and are semi competent elsewhere defence/forward respectively.
-Mabior Chol. Second ruck who is super mobile and not in their best side.
-Toby Nankervis. Multiple premiership winning tough ruck who I think would compliment English's style. Demonstrated how he can be effective behind the ball in the finals series. Out of contract.
-Levi Casboult. Key forward who holds his own in the ruck. Would give us another marking target, and probably would be cheapish.
-Marc Pittonet. I know he has only been at Carlton for a year but has been competent there, and they seem keen on pumping games into the raw Tom DeKoning (who they love btw and won't trade so don't bother asking) meaning they might be willing to let him go.
-Mason Cox. Obviously been talked about already, out of contract.
-Darcy Fort. Ex Footscray ruck who had some ok games in the ruck this year. I don't rate him but he has looked ok resting forward and kicked 3 goals against us last year.
-Peter Wright. Hasn't really played as a ruck at AFL level and is slow as hell but seems to be available and fits the physical dimensions for the role.
-Zac Smith. Has flirted with being a good ruck without ever actually achieving it, fairly mobile from memory but also a bit of a spud (like most names here tbf)
-Brayden Preuss. Yuck.
-Todd Goldstein. Obviously the best name here. Possibly gettable and would undoubtably make a difference. What would he cost though?
-Peter Ladhams. The kind of player we should be looking to pry out, would be great for us and would form a pretty impressive ruck team with English.
-Callum Sinclair. Perennial second ruck who is ok up forward.
-Nathan Vardy/Tom Hickey. Competent if not wholly uninspiring ruck options that would be free.
-Stefan Martin. Obviously been discussed, could be finished, could be a Ryder like option. Who knows?
-Archie Smith. Looked promising years ago but mediocre as hell since.

There are also a bunch of unproven options. Most of these guys are probably terrible, but on the flipside if they are happy to move to a club where they become the clear number 2 (and possibly a chance to play in tandem with English) then I think we could sell it. Obviously there is no point grabbing them if we rate Sweet higher but based on us almost going out of our way to not pick Sweet even when we didn't plan on playing English as an actual ruck there must be severe doubts there.

On the plus side with these guys they are better options than draftees as they have already had the 2-3 years of AFL development most new rucks need put into them before they are ready, and unlike every other position rucks can be stuck in the wilderness for multiple years and then become good players. Reilly O'Brien is a great recent example of player that never got a chance for ages and then was able to step in and take the number one mantle pretty quickly.

Players that fit this category could include:
-Callum Coleman-Jones. Huge ruck who has only managed 1 game thus far. Was a relatively high draft pick but is stuck behind a couple of rucks at Richmond.
-Connor Ballenden. Giant key forward/ruck who managed a couple of games this year.
-Tristan Xerri. Played as Ben brown lite a few games this year with poor results. Unsure what he is like as a an actual ruckman.
-Sam Hayes, Sam Alabakis, Bailey Williams, Callum Jamieson. All fit the bill as rucks that haven't been given an opportunity but have been developing behind the scenes.

Also pretty Ryan Abbott was offered a new contract and declined to pursue non-AFL opportunities.

Realistically, who do we pitch for, as there are alot of rucks on that list I wouldn't touch.

DOG GOD
30-10-2020, 11:36 AM
Goldstein, ladhams and nankervis are the only players I’d look at. However, I think Bevo would only want Ladhams out of those 3 as he adds flexibility to the team.

DOG GOD
30-10-2020, 11:37 AM
I know that, but as I have said in another post, IF we don't get a ruck, best to keep Trengove for now. He will end up mostly in VFL, but at least if English is injured we have someone.

Alternative is Lew Young and Schache are ruckman for the future.

I still believe Lew Young and Schache will not be at the dogs next year.

soupman
30-10-2020, 11:41 AM
Realistically, who do we pitch for, as there are alot of rucks on that list I wouldn't touch.

Rucks are inherently unimpressive unless they are really good.

Like Happy Days if we aren't pushing for Goldstein (or Ladhams) I'm gonna be furious.

Failing that I think Nankervis is my preference and does seem gettable.

Failing that I would be content but not inspired by McEvoy, Ceglar, Casboult, Sinclair and Martin. None of them are amazing but they at least can hold their own in the ruck when English cannot, are able to help out elsewhere and most importantly of all show the club is serious about fixing the ruck situation instead of our current approach where we just shrug our shoulders and say "well what can we do, if we bring anybody in to help English he will crack the shits because he is a child apparently" (I know we are probably doing more than that but you wouldn't know it looking in from the outside for the last few years).

Of the young guys I have no idea if any of them are good, with Reilly O'Brien I heard really positive stuff from Adelaide since 2016 with him so kind of saw him coming but these guys haven't had the same buzz about them, but for the reasons i have outlined in my post I do think there is merit in looking at them and grabbing one.

Mofra
30-10-2020, 11:43 AM
Goldstein, ladhams and nankervis are the only players I’d look at. However, I think Bevo would only want Ladhams out of those 3 as he adds flexibility to the team.
I doubt those three are gettable. Ladhams wouldn't want to leave a Port side and he forms a solid ruck partnership with Lycett.
Nank would have been gettable had Soldo not gone down with an ACL
North seem set to hold Goldy.

I like the Ballenden suggestion - did we bid on him in his draft year? NGA if I'm thinking of the same player.
Sam Skinner we can sign as a DFA, I like him as a KPD option if he passes a medical but he has played a little ruck/forward before too.

soupman
30-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Sam Skinner we can sign as a DFA, I like him as a KPD option if he passes a medical but he has played a little ruck/forward before too.

I considered putting his name down but didn't because he was woeful in the games he played this year and has already had two knee reconstructions I believe. If we do lose Trengove, Schache and Young x2 though it might be worth grabbing a previously promising tall who can play either end and maybe pinch hit in the ruck.

SquirrelGrip
30-10-2020, 12:12 PM
Possible rucks include:

Could we get Coleman-Jones and Sydney Stack with a new kebab stand inside Barkers Cafe? Ironically they are two types of players that would be of value to us!

Axe Man
30-10-2020, 12:14 PM
Sydney are also chasing a ruck and asked Port about Ladhams - they were told to get lost.

Mofra
30-10-2020, 12:16 PM
Sydney are also chasing a ruck and asked Port about Ladhams - they were told to get lost.
I thought they were a fair way down the road of signing Hickey.

Axe Man
30-10-2020, 12:24 PM
I thought they were a fair way down the road of signing Hickey.

I think when Port asked about Aliir the Swans said maybe as a swap for Ladhams and Port rejected it. So they will likely go down the Hickey road.

Vred
30-10-2020, 05:09 PM
We have 3 or 4 Father Sons next draft don't we? Can someone name them for me, can't seem to find them anywhere.

bornadog
30-10-2020, 05:24 PM
We have 3 or 4 Father Sons next draft don't we? Can someone name them for me, can't seem to find them anywhere.

From a thread here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?19103-Future-Priority-Access-Thread-(Inc-Father-Son-Academy-Players)&highlight=father+son) but could be more around.

2021 Draft Period

Sam Darcy - Already nearly as tall as his father in the ruck/forward mould. Needs to add a to his frame. Likely playing with JUH at Oakleigh. Made the U/16 Vic Metro trials this year.

Cooper West & Kobi West - a.k.a. 'The Twins'. Spoke to an opposition player and coach late last year. Both said The Twins play a lot more outside than Rhylee. They thought Rhylee was a superior player at that age. Just their thoughts for what it's worth. Kobi looks to have had a quiet year stat wise, Cooper a little bitter though. I assume they'll be linked with Calder too.

Kai Dimattina - Mid sized player whose played his juniors at St Kilda. Stats not strong. Not sure which U/18 team he might be fixed to.

Axe Man
30-10-2020, 05:25 PM

Only Ewan Macpherson (son of Steve) this upcoming draft.

I believe there are a pair of Wests and a Darcy potentially coming up in the next couple of years.

Ghost Dog
30-10-2020, 05:56 PM
Ok stupid question. Why is Trengrove not being used in the ruck to chop out English? Is he terrible at it?

Mofra
30-10-2020, 06:01 PM
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/30/magpies-open-to-moving-jaidyn-stephenson-says-barrett/

We should be at least asking the question

jeemak
30-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Ok stupid question. Why is Trengrove not being used in the ruck to chop out English? Is he terrible at it?

I think the MC, particularly Bevo, have put a line through his name due to a perceived lack of mobility. Not without some basis in fact, though the major point of contention is are you better off having someone with some mobility issues chopping out in the ruck and standing gorillas defencively or are you better off having more mobility but less ruck and defencive cover and ruck the likes of Dunkley.

Rocket Science
30-10-2020, 06:22 PM
A future centre line that reads: WEST - WEST - WEST?

You know you want it.

EasternWest
30-10-2020, 06:50 PM

You know you want it.

You're right

jazzadogs
30-10-2020, 07:28 PM

You know you want it.

I dunno, a half-back WEST, wing WEST and half-forward WEST all playing on the western side at Docklands would be pretty sweet.

Bullies
30-10-2020, 11:35 PM
Listening to Matt Rendell he really rates Cox as a ruckman. Says he has a great tank and very smart as well. His problem is Grundy who rucks the entire game. I would be happy to have him as backup and change with English in the forward line.

Bumper Bulldogs
31-10-2020, 06:47 AM
I think the MC, particularly Bevo, have put a line through his name due to a perceived lack of mobility. Not without some basis in fact, though the major point of contention is are you better off having someone with some mobility issues chopping out in the ruck and standing gorillas defencively or are you better off having more mobility but less ruck and defencive cover and ruck the likes of Dunkley.

Well iif you ruck someone like Dunkley, then he does an ankle then we continue to play Groundhog Day time after time. He leaves and we get exactly what we deserve.

You need to own this Bevo

dog town
31-10-2020, 07:12 AM
Will if you ruck someone like Dunkley, then he does an ankle then we continue to play Groundhog Day time after time. He leaves and we get exactly what we deserve.

You need to own this Bevo Didn’t Dunkley hurt just ankle late in the GWS game in the forward pocket?

dog town
31-10-2020, 07:16 AM
Listening to Matt Rendell he really rates Cox as a ruckman. Says he has a great tank and very smart as well. His problem is Grundy who rucks the entire game. I would be happy to have him as backup and change with English in the forward line. If you want an optimistic view of Cox rucking watch Q3 of their game against GWS. Probably his best ten minute patch in the ruck this year. Beats Mumford to a few hit outs through sheer size.

GVGjr
31-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Didn’t Dunkley hurt just ankle late in the GWS game in the forward pocket?

Correct, it wasn't because he was in the ruck

ledge
31-10-2020, 10:22 AM
If you want an optimistic view of Cox rucking watch Q3 of their game against GWS. Probably his best ten minute patch in the ruck this year. Beats Mumford to a few hit outs through sheer size.

Not like you have to jump at all against Mumford, bloke couldn’t hop let alone jump, he just barges in and wouldn’t know where the ball was half the time.
Be interesting to see if Mumford actually got his hand on the ball clean to a team mate all year in the ruck contest.
Not sure that’s anyone to rave about beating.

dog town
31-10-2020, 11:27 AM
Not like you have to jump at all against Mumford, bloke couldn’t hop let alone jump, he just barges in and wouldn’t know where the ball was half the time.
Be interesting to see if Mumford actually got his hand on the ball clean to a team mate all year in the ruck contest.
Not sure that’s anyone to rave about beating. Certainly not raving about him I don’t rate Cox in the ruck just giving people a reference point.

Mofra
31-10-2020, 11:47 AM
So.... whispers that Elliot Yeo is gettable....

Happy Days
31-10-2020, 12:16 PM
If Dunk's 2020 was a step backwards then I'd love to know what Yeo's would be considered.