PDA

View Full Version : Cordy shines in scratch match

bornadog
31-08-2020, 05:58 PM
link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/804432?fbclid=IwAR1T9oMhEWpwAMV-EWq66xko7jW9xiyqipSY-6QJuf0oIVsMjSs6OKQzmRI)

Key defender Zaine Cordy has put his hand up for a senior recall after a strong performance on his return from injury.

The 23-year-old had not featured since round 11 due to a pectoral injury, however he was among the Bulldogs’ best in a Saturday scratch match against the Geelong Cats.

“I thought he was probably our best player, Zaine,” coach Daniel Giansiracusa said.

“Any time it came in, he was either able to intercept the ball through great positioning and bodywork, or produce some big spoils to come off and support his teammates in the air. He did everything we asked of him.”

The Bulldogs had 20 players feature throughout the scratch match and finished strongly. Fergus Greene led the way on the scoreboard against the Cats with three majors, as the Bulldogs ran out 11.9 (75) to 7.4 (46) winners.

Matt Suckling also returned from injury, kicking two goals, while Taylor Duryea had his first run for 2020 after being hampered by a persistent quad injury.

“Suckers was probably a bit slow to start, but when the ball’s in his hands something good usually happens,” Giansiracusa said.

“We got two quality finishes from him and I was really pleased with his second half.

“Doc’s a real coach out on the field, so for guys like Lachie Young, Louis Butler and Buku Khamis to have his voice and instruction is great.

“By his own admission, he was trying to figure out how to play footy again because he hasn’t played for a while. But as the game went on, his class shone through and he had a pretty big impact for us.”

Giansiracusa also praised the impact of key forward Josh Schache, who kicked two goals.

“It was pleasing to see ‘Schach’ have an impact in his third game back from a few weeks off with groin issues,” he said.

“He provided a focal point for us and when he gets his hands on the footy he’s pretty smooth with what he can do with the ball. It was good to see him get off his opponents, show some physicality and kick a couple of goals.

“He’s been able to have some ruck time as well, and even though that’s not his primary position, he was able to get his hands on the footy and follow-up.”

WESTERN BULLDOGS 1.2 3.5 5.6 11.9 (75)
GEELONG CATS 1.1 4.2 4.4 7.4 (46)

Goals: Greene 3, Schache 2, Suckling 2, Garcia, Gowers, R. Smith, Weightman

bornadog
31-08-2020, 06:00 PM
Schache must come in as second ruck and replace the use of Dunkley.

Rocco Jones
31-08-2020, 06:47 PM

Thing is, the way Bevo is going, Dunkley is more like our 1st ruckman isn't he? English does the re-start bounce most of the time but other than that, Dunkley seems our 'ruck' to me.

SonofScray
31-08-2020, 07:19 PM
Thing is, the way Bevo is going, Dunkley is more like our 1st ruckman isn't he? English does the re-start bounce most of the time but other than that, Dunkley seems our 'ruck' to me.

Dunkley is our first ruck.

If Cordy was fit enough to shine in a scratch match, it seems ultra conservative the Gardner held his spot in favour of a superior defender and a premiership CHF.

Grantysghost
31-08-2020, 07:24 PM
I'm still trying to process Bevo saying we are making it up as we go with the ruck.

GVGjr
31-08-2020, 07:38 PM
I'm still trying to process Bevo saying we are making it up as we go with the ruck.

He says it like it's a bit of a surprise that it's come to this but he knowingly entered the season with a young ruck man, a rookie ruck man and an older guy that played his best footy last year as a key defender.
This is one of the reason why I get sick of hearing some of the excuses that get offered up. We decided to take the risk and go into the season light on in the ruck area and our solution is to throw a 190cm midfielder who isn't overly athletic and who came back after a decent injury break into the ruck. In reality this is no surprise to Bevo

I hope Dunkley stays healthy.

josie
31-08-2020, 08:10 PM
He says it like it's a bit of a surprise that it's come to this but he knowingly entered the season with a young ruck man, a rookie ruck man and an older guy that played his best footy last year as a key defender.
This is one of the reason why I get sick of hearing some of the excuses that get offered up. We decided to take the risk and go into the season light on in the ruck area and our solution is to throw a 190cm midfielder who isn't overly athletic and who came back after a decent injury break into the ruck. In reality this is no surprise to Bevo

I hope Dunkley stays healthy.

Wholeheartedly agree. I gave up listening to Bevo’s Brief months ago. Sick & tired of our ruck situation. We have had 4 years to get this right. I am now of opinion Tim may never be a very good number 1 ruck. IMO he is simply not aggressive enough for the considerable body hits required for ruck (not meant to be a criticism). Tim has talent and seems to be an intelligent, driven young man and no doubt can fill other important roles. I desperately hope I am wrong & hope to eat humble pie but as every week goes by I think my niggling suspicions are becoming louder (like the beat beat beat of the drum as Col Porter wrote).

bornadog
31-08-2020, 08:40 PM

Do you think he just says this for the press to shut them up.

GVGjr
31-08-2020, 08:44 PM
Dunkley is our first ruck.

If Cordy was fit enough to shine in a scratch match, it seems ultra conservative the Gardner held his spot in favour of a superior defender and a premiership CHF.

Could Cordy come in for Bruce and back up English in the ruck?

bornadog
31-08-2020, 08:46 PM
Could Cordy come in for Bruce and back up English in the ruck?

Surely playing Schache in the ruck in the scratch match for a reason.

Grantysghost
31-08-2020, 08:52 PM

That's my take. The logical one. However.....

GVGjr
31-08-2020, 08:58 PM

It's all a smokescreen to throw off the opposition :)

kruder
31-08-2020, 09:05 PM

Josh is a flanker, I just don't get why we continue to play players in roles they are not suited.

I'd like Josh to get a game but please anywhere bar ruck.

Rocket Science
31-08-2020, 10:17 PM
If Schache somehow sneaks back into contention imagine the expression on Naitanui's face when Bevo tells Josh to line up at the next centre bounce.

It could just as well be Cordy though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kruder
31-08-2020, 10:39 PM
If Schache somehow sneaks back into contention imagine the expression on Naitanui's face when Bevo tells Josh to line up at the next centre bounce.

It could just as well be Cordy though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like waking up on xmas day.

soupman
31-08-2020, 11:15 PM
Schache really should need to be able to contribute in the ruck but I really don't think a Schache/English compliments eachother. They both lack natural aggression and intensity. Would really like the second ruck to have a bit of grit about him.

bornadog
31-08-2020, 11:46 PM
Schache really should need to be able to contribute in the ruck but I really don't think a Schache/English compliments eachother. They both lack natural aggression and intensity. Would really like the second ruck to have a bit of grit about him.

Who do you suggest then?

I suggested Schache because last year he played second ruck a few times and did very well and kicked goals as well.

The bulldog tragician
31-08-2020, 11:54 PM
Do you think he just says this for the press to shut them up.

Maybe he does ... but one thing that upsets me is what about us as fans. We’re seeing a very unusual tactic that doesn’t seem successful. Almost all of us have kept paying our memberships, a sacrifice for many, we don’t get to see the games in person to draw our own conclusions so hearing straight talk from the coach is more important than ever. It’s a trying and difficult year and hard to see a lot of progress. Same with lack of communication about scratch matches and having some semblance of an explanation about puzzling selections. It would have been a nice gesture if the club put on something like members only sessions with Bevo answering questions instead of the Bevo’s brief spin. We’d feel connected and as though we still belonged no matter how far away we are.

Sorry what was the topic again?😀 it’s been playing on my mind and I had to vent about the lack of genuine and thoughtful communication from the club. I don’t want to see the players drawing cats, I want to know more of where we’re heading and how we’re going to get there!

Ozza
01-09-2020, 01:16 PM
If we put Dunkley in the ruck v Naitanui - the outcome will be dire for us. NicNat not only wins it - but when he is thrown a non-ruckman - he has the ability to put the ball to whoever and wherever he likes....watch him his Shuey at full speed half a dozen times.

Rucking Dunkley against NicNat around the ground is tanking.

comrade
01-09-2020, 01:17 PM
If we put Dunkley in the ruck v Naitanui - the outcome will be dire for us. NicNat not only wins it - but when he is thrown a non-ruckman - he has the ability to put the ball to whoever and wherever he likes....watch him his Shuey at full speed half a dozen times.

He won't even have to tap it to his mids, he'll just take the ball himself and do what he wants.

Not going to lie, there is a part of me that kind of wants to see how bad it'd be.

Axe Man
01-09-2020, 01:34 PM

This might sound stupid but any chance English can approach Nicnat like a volleyball blocker? Don't even worry about trying to win a hitout, just try and block or deflect his taps. Even hit his arms and risk giving away the odd free. Anything to try and put our mids on a somewhat even footing.

Ozza
01-09-2020, 01:57 PM
He won't even have to tap it to his mids, he'll just take the ball himself and do what he wants.

Not going to lie, there is a part of me that kind of wants to see how bad it'd be.

Even the cats showed complete disdain for our attitude to the ruck, and walloped us in this area. In actually one of the weeks where Tim could have been an advantage for us. Astounding.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-09-2020, 02:30 PM
This might sound stupid but any chance English can approach Nicnat like a volleyball blocker? Don't even worry about trying to win a hitout, just try and block or deflect his taps. Even hit his arms and risk giving away the odd free. Anything to try and put our mids on a somewhat even footing.

Isn't this what Tim always does anyway?

bulldogsthru&thru
01-09-2020, 02:31 PM
Even the cats showed complete disdain for our attitude to the ruck, and walloped us in this area. In actually one of the weeks where Tim could have been an advantage for us. Astounding.

There were ruck contests just outside the cats' f50 that had Dunkley taking the ruck when English was only 20m away on the wing.

Axe Man
01-09-2020, 02:52 PM
Isn't this what Tim always does anyway?

Not as far as I can tell (although it is difficult to figure out what Tim is trying to do at the moment). I think he's still trying to win the tap, which he does every now and then. I'm suggesting a 100% defensive mindset.

There were ruck contests just outside the cats' f50 that had Dunkley taking the ruck when English was only 20m away on the wing.

There was one where Tim was among the players waiting to rove the ruck contest which was particularly difficult to understand.

bornadog
01-09-2020, 03:13 PM

Yet we didn't get absolutely smashed in Clearances, stoppages? Besides, our clearance king Libba faded in the second half and that is a reason we started to get behind

Sedat
01-09-2020, 03:48 PM
Not sure about that. Stanley and Blicvas are both athletic and aerobic beasts who would have negated Tim's great strength in this area. Tim has done his best this year against the more traditional stoppage ruckmen who aren't able to cover the ground once they've contested the stoppage - guys like Jacobs, Naismith (until injured) and Phillips. Even against Melbourne, Preuss was not able to convert hitout dominance into overall dominance (against English or Dunks or even Bruce) because he doesn't have the engine.

Mofra
02-09-2020, 09:52 AM
That was baffling. To the eyeball, Tim is better at ruck contests around the ground than he is in the centre.

WCE are the no 1 team in the competition for scoring from centre clearances. If that isn't the no 1 concern for our coaching staff this week, it should be.

Axe Man
02-09-2020, 10:20 AM
That was baffling. To the eyeball, Tim is better at ruck contests around the ground than he is in the centre.

WCE are the no 1 team in the competition for scoring from centre clearances. If that isn't the no 1 concern for our coaching staff this week, it should be.

I was only half watching but I think they spoke to Rutten at half time last night and asked how they stop the Eagles out of the centre bounce - he replied with something along the lines of I don't know, if you've got any ideas let me have them!

Ozza
02-09-2020, 11:00 AM
Yet we didn't get absolutely smashed in Clearances, stoppages? Besides, our clearance king Libba faded in the second half and that is a reason we started to get behind

We were down 36-28 in clearances and the quality of Geelong's were significantly better - especially on the mutiple occasions they just took the ball out of the ruck.

Grantysghost
02-09-2020, 11:05 AM
We were down 36-28 in clearances and the quality of Geelong's were significantly better - especially on the mutiple occasions they just took the ball out of the ruck.

There needs to be better stats than just pure clearances. If you get it, bomb it into the 50 under pressure and are scored against coast to coast it still counts.
Clearances to advantage something like that.

bornadog
02-09-2020, 11:13 AM

Yet Hitouts were 49 to 13.

I don't agree with Dunkley in the ruck, but it is not the reason we lost.

Axe Man
02-09-2020, 11:42 AM

There needs to be better stats than just pure clearances. If you get it, bomb it into the 50 under pressure and are scored against coast to coast it still counts.
Clearances to advantage something like that.

If you have a look at the post BAD shared in the Football Analysis thread it shows how Geelong didn't really score from their clearances. They scored against us from defensive half intercepts, the same way we like to score.

Geelong are just about the best clearance side in the league, we are bottom half. We were always likely to lose the clearances regardless of who was rucking. What we did well was limit the hurt factor of the cats clearances. Clearly we fell down in other areas though.

Happy Days
02-09-2020, 11:49 AM
Just for a point of reference, check out what Carlton give their fans as a scratch match summary;

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/804785/reserves-player-by-player-review-v-gold-coast

Detailed reports on every player, multiple highlight videos and player focused packages. Gotta reiterate how disappointed I am in what we've put out over the time in the hub.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-09-2020, 11:52 AM
If you have a look at the post BAD shared in the Football Analysis thread it shows how Geelong didn't really score from their clearances. They scored against us from defensive half intercepts, the same way we like to score.

Geelong are just about the best clearance side in the league, we are bottom half. We were always likely to lose the clearances regardless of who was rucking. What we did well was limit the hurt factor of the cats clearances. Clearly we fell down in other areas though.

I suppose it may not be the reason we lost but at the end of the day it's putting us on the back foot at every ruck contest. Conceding the ruck doesn't really send a positive message to take the game on. It's like every ruck contest we're in self-preservation mode rather than looking to take the game on.

How we fix this without giving up pace around the ground is the challenge given the players Bevo is looking for to play ruck don't exactly grow on trees. At this point, I'd prefer to play a pure ruck and give up pace around the ground, rather than have Dunkley sacrificed.

Axe Man
02-09-2020, 12:07 PM
I suppose it may not be the reason we lost but at the end of the day it's putting us on the back foot at every ruck contest. Conceding the ruck doesn't really send a positive message to take the game on. It's like every ruck contest we're in self-preservation mode rather than looking to take the game on.

How we fix this without giving up pace around the ground is the challenge given the players Bevo is looking for to play ruck don't exactly grow on trees. At this point, I'd prefer to play a pure ruck and give up pace around the ground, rather than have Dunkley sacrificed.

I largely agree. The current setup can't be a long term tactic, we need to come up with something else next season if English isn't going to significantly improve his competitiveness in the ruck.

bornadog
02-09-2020, 12:18 PM
Just for a point of reference, check out what Carlton give their fans as a scratch match summary;

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/804785/reserves-player-by-player-review-v-gold-coast

Detailed reports on every player, multiple highlight videos and player focused packages. Gotta reiterate how disappointed I am in what we've put out over the time in the hub.

Yeah I agree.

I sent a DM to the communications manager a few weeks ago about the lack of information and he never bothered to respond.

comrade
02-09-2020, 01:41 PM

Jesus, puts our 'efforts' to shame. We're lucky to get a few real time tweets and a brief summary where 3 or 4 players are mentioned.

And if we really strike it rich, we come up against a club who films their scratchies and actually cares about keeping its supporters informed and we get to see our players in the background (usually doing something wrong but its something).

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-09-2020, 02:12 PM
Jesus, puts our 'efforts' to shame. We're lucky to get a few real time tweets and a brief summary where 3 or 4 players are mentioned.

And if we really strike it rich, we come up against a club who films their scratchies and actually cares about keeping its supporters informed and we get to see our players in the background (usually doing something wrong but its something).

Is this because of a lack of resources with COVID restructuring? Maybe Carlton have spent their allocations in a different way to ours.
Not trying to justify whether we've got it right or not, just that maybe there are other factors. Prior to this year, I thought we got pretty good VFL reports each week.

Mofra
02-09-2020, 02:18 PM
Back to Cordy - straight in for Wood? Seems a reasonable swap.

azabob
02-09-2020, 02:30 PM
Back to Cordy - straight in for Wood? Seems a reasonable swap.

If Duyrea was ready to go, would you look at him rather than Cordy?

Mofra
02-09-2020, 02:40 PM
If Duyrea was ready to go, would you look at him rather than Cordy?
WCE is the one team where I'd like to have three defenders capable on talls. Probably the Saints too.
Duryea is best 22 when fit but he'll be rusty after a long layoff.

GVGjr
02-09-2020, 03:05 PM
Yet Hitouts were 49 to 13.

I don't agree with Dunkley in the ruck, but it is not the reason we lost.

I suspect we are missing him as a genuine ball winning midfielder though

Mitcha
02-09-2020, 04:10 PM
Yeah I agree.

I sent a DM to the communications manager a few weeks ago about the lack of information and he never bothered to respond.
He may have been busy filming quality content such as showing our players capability of being able to draw a Hawk or an Eagle, spare me.

Vred
03-09-2020, 02:56 AM

What we put out is actually pathetic compared to this.