PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Mitch Wallis - 150 Games

bornadog
15-09-2020, 10:27 AM
Many of us thought he wasn't even in best 22, but Mitch has proven he is a tough competitor, and real team man prepared to sacrifice his own footy for the sake of the team.

Leading our goal kicking this year, he has been very good.

All the best to Mitch in game 150.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/06/22/16d4f1c6-dabc-4b88-a804-f53b35b03d54/HERO_220620Wallis.jpg?width=952&height=592

1eyedog
15-09-2020, 10:57 AM
Really happy for Mitch with his injury history to get to 150 games. A fine effort. Both him and Libba have been critical to our success this year. Hoping they get through unscathed and especially Mitch gets to play finals this year.

bornadog
15-09-2020, 10:58 AM
Really happy for Mitch with his injury history to get to 150 games. A fine effort. Both him and Libba have been critical to our success this year. Hoping they get through unscathed and especially Mitch gets to play finals this year.

Libba sitting on 146 games, so won't be long for his 150. Hopefully this year. :)

1eyedog
15-09-2020, 11:06 AM
Libba sitting on 146 games, so won't be long for his 150. Hopefully this year. :)

Yep will play his 150 in the GF.

Ozza
15-09-2020, 01:00 PM
Congratulations to Mitch.

Love him as a player and as a representative of the club more generally.

He's shown that there is still room in the game for a player that may not necessarily have the leg speed, but is smart, hard working, creates space for his team mates, and takes his opportunities. He's set a great example to his peers, in that he has adapted to a new role when a lesser character may well have dropped their bundle at getting pushed out of the mids rotation, and could have taken an opportunity to be a mid elsewhere.

Hope he can get a premiership after missing out in '16.

comrade
15-09-2020, 01:06 PM
Really hope we win this week (and he gets through unscathed) so Mitch can play another finals series.

josie
15-09-2020, 01:41 PM
Congrats Mitch. Hope he is our Vice Captain. I was one of doubters-happy to be proven wrong. A great clubman.

Axe Man
15-09-2020, 01:44 PM
Yep will play his 150 in the GF.

Unless he has a rest it will be the prelim.

Axe Man
15-09-2020, 01:50 PM
If Mitch was to kick 2 goals this weekend and end up on 25, that is around the equivalent of 40 goals in a full length season with 20 minute quarters. Even more impressive when you consider how low scoring and defensive most games are.

Old Dog's new tricks: Surprise spearhead's forward thinking (https://www.afl.com.au/news/501142/old-dog-s-new-tricks-surprise-spearhead-s-forward-thinking)

EVEN Mitch Wallis admits he would have been long odds to be the Western Bulldogs' leading goalkicker this season.

Aaron Naughton looked set to prosper as one of the competition's best young key forwards and Josh Bruce was brought into the club on a long-term deal. Plus, Wallis has been a midfielder for his whole life, not just at AFL level.

But with injury and form halting Naughton (13 goals) and Bruce's (12) respective charges, it has been Wallis who has stepped up around goal, booting 23 from 16 games in one of the biggest positional transformations across the competition.

"I didn't probably expect it to play out the way it did way back in February when the season started to kick off, but I'm really happy with some of the strides I've made as a forward. I consider myself as a forward now," Wallis told AFL.com.au.

"In years to come I'm probably going to stay there I think. Under (forwards coach) Ash Hansen's tutelage, and 'Bevo' (Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge), learning the different patterns and craft of a forward line player has been really exciting and enjoyable and a bit of a fresher look on footy."

Wallis' consistency has been central to the Bulldogs' push towards the finals. He has kicked goals in all bar four games, and kicked three or more on four occasions. Playing as a small forward, he has kicked as many goals as West Coast's Liam Ryan, and one fewer than Sydney star Tom Papley.

The 27-year-old said getting his mind around not being a midfielder – and valuing his games and impact – was an adjustment that took some time.

"If you're a midfielder you're a born and bred midfielder and any time you're not in there you're waiting to get back in there. You're resting forward or back or whatever it is," he said.

"When the switch flicked in my head to really dedicate my time as a forward and to change my thinking (from) 'No, it's not when you get back in the midfield', it's starting there and making the most of it and being really influential as a forward line player. When I made that shift in my head it made it a lot easier.

"I do miss the midfield days, but you do have to really analyse how you can impact a game if you're not touching the ball 20 times as a forward any more. You just have to make the most of it when you do.

"As a forward line player you're sometimes reliant upon how your team's going to really have an impact. You kick the goals, which is put up in lights, but it's not as easy as people think or assume."

The Dogs will need Wallis to remain busy on Sunday night, with Beveridge's men able to sew up a finals spot with a win over Fremantle in Cairns.

Topdog
15-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Many of us thought he wasn't even in best 22

GUILTY AS CHARGED.

Well done Mitch!! You absolutely deserve it.

Bulldog Revolution
15-09-2020, 02:14 PM
Great timing for a milestone going into a game in which we will need to be on

I like the way Bevo uses our group to inspire the players

Mitch is a bit of an inspiration, he's been written off by many but has found a way to re-invent himself and thrive.

Mofra
15-09-2020, 02:29 PM
Team first player who never drops his head and bleeds for the jumper. We need more of his type.

1eyedog
15-09-2020, 02:32 PM
Unless he has a rest it will be the prelim.

That will do just fine.

Eastdog
15-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Congratulations Mitch! You have had a great 2020 season and been our most affective forward. Hope we can get the job done Sunday so we can have a crack at the flag.

merantau
15-09-2020, 07:36 PM
Congratulations to Mitch. He was given number 3 for a reason - heart and soul player.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-09-2020, 10:34 PM
Congratulations to Mitch. He was given number 3 for a reason - heart and soul player.

Yes couldn’t agree more. Mitch and Libba are and have always been in our best 22

Eastdog
15-09-2020, 10:52 PM

He embodies the Bulldog spirit.

SonofScray
15-09-2020, 11:10 PM
Made of the right stuff.

Twodogs
15-09-2020, 11:29 PM
Mitch is as tough as teak and I'm wrapped that he's gotten to 150 games. Great stuff and congratulations Wally.

Ozza
16-09-2020, 10:45 AM
Interesting that he is only 1 goal behind Papley and has as many goals as Liam Ryan. Butler and Charlie Cameron are ahead by 3 and 2 goals respectively.

I certainly think Ryan should be in the AA team....and up until recently though Papley would be in considerations....but just say Mitch kicks 4 or 5 this year - is there a sneaky chance he gets included in the AA squad of 40 if he has finishes ahead of all other small forwards?

bulldogsthru&thru
16-09-2020, 10:49 AM
Let’s not forget the two shots on goal Mitch missed through the blood rule as well. They were certainties for him.

comrade
16-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Interesting that he is only 1 goal behind Papley and has as many goals as Liam Ryan. Butler and Charlie Cameron are ahead by 3 and 2 goals respectively.

I certainly think Ryan should be in the AA team....and up until recently though Papley would be in considerations....but just say Mitch kicks 4 or 5 this year - is there a sneaky chance he gets included in the AA squad of 40 if he has finishes ahead of all other small forwards?

I think he's a shoe in for the squad of 40 and might even sneak into the actual team. The commentary team highlight his performance every game it seems, he's definitely being noticed.

bornadog
16-09-2020, 11:05 AM

He won't get in because the selectors are biased. One year Dickson kicked more goals than Betts, but Betts was chosen. They have preconceived ideas on who should get in and they stick with it.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-09-2020, 11:08 AM
He won't get in because the selectors are biased. One year Dickson kicked more goals than Betts, but Betts was chosen. They have preconceived ideas on who should get in and they stick with it.

Yep the media darlings will always get in.

Twodogs
16-09-2020, 11:37 AM

The AA team is almost as big of a rort as the NAB Rising Star is.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-09-2020, 11:41 AM
The AA team is almost as big of a rort as the NAB Rising Star is.

I think not winning the rising star is more encouraging than winning it.

Axe Man
16-09-2020, 11:42 AM

The AA squad, the MRO, the rising star, the umpires - it's just one big conspiracy against us! Don't be surprised if we are forced to play wearing backpacks full of bricks this week.

bornadog
16-09-2020, 11:54 AM
The AA squad, the MRO, the rising star, the umpires - it's just one big conspiracy against us! Don't be surprised if we are forced to play wearing backpacks full of bricks this week.

That is how it feels.

Happy Days
16-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Mitch has had a great year but should absolutely not be in the All Australian side.

bornadog
16-09-2020, 03:21 PM
Wally Press Conference here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/814022/mitch-wallis-we-re-going-to-have-to-be-at-our-best?videoId=814022&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1600222796001)

WBFC4FFC
16-09-2020, 05:25 PM
I think not winning the rising star is more encouraging than winning it.

The Bont came second to Lewis Taylor in 2014!

Griff missed-out to because he was deemed not to have played enough games.

bornadog
16-09-2020, 05:48 PM
The Bont came second to Lewis Taylor in 2014!

Griff missed-out to because he was deemed not to have played enough games.

Libba wasn't even nominated and he had a great first year

Rising Star Years Statistical Rankings

● 5th among rising stars in Total Handballs in 2011 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2011&rt=RT&st=HB)
● 5th among rising stars in Total Tackles in 2011 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2011&rt=RT&st=TA)

● 4th among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions in 2011 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2011&rt=RT&st=CP)
● 4th among rising stars in Total Clearances in 2011 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2011&rt=RT&st=CL)

● 1st among rising stars in Handballs Per Game in 2011 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2011&rt=RA&st=HB)
● 2nd among rising stars in Tackles Per Game in 2011 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2011&rt=RA&st=TA)

● 2nd among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2011 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2011&rt=RA&st=CP)
● 2nd among rising stars in Clearances Per Game in 2011 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2011&rt=RA&st=CL)

Caleb Daniel should have won his year as well.

bornadog
18-09-2020, 05:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmph0_yZn68&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

Axe Man
16-08-2022, 04:38 PM
Face to Face interview with Mitch Willis by Brad Johnson tonight on Fox Footy at 6:30pm and replayed at 8:30pm.

GVGjr
16-08-2022, 04:53 PM
Face to Face interview with Mitch Willis by Brad Johnson tonight on Fox Footy at 6:30pm and replayed at 8:30pm.

I've seen some snippets of this, it's a very confronting interview. Mitch is a wonderful person.

MrMahatma
16-08-2022, 10:24 PM
He’s possibly the best spoken footballer I’ve ever come across. Comes across as such an articulate, professional, loving and competitive guy. Would be a mile better than half the boof heads in the media.

bornadog
16-08-2022, 11:13 PM
He’s possibly the best spoken footballer I’ve ever come across. Comes across as such an articulate, professional, loving and competitive guy. Would be a mile better than half the boof heads in the media.

I wonder whether he will consider coaching?

jeemak
17-08-2022, 01:08 AM
What a lovely dude.

Looking like he'll be on the list next year which I'm absolutely fine with. He's excellent depth, will play whichever role wanted of him.

Swoop
17-08-2022, 11:37 PM
A recurring theme that has emerged throughout the season has been the need to add a tougher and more defensive element to our midfield. The name William Drew has been mentioned throughout discussions but I wonder whether we need to look within?

Wallis was originally drafted as a midfielder and understandably fell behind a talented queue. He was forced to reinvent himself and to his credit did a formidable job as a forward. He now finds himself on the outer again.

Is it time to reinvent Wallis as the defensive midfielder we need? If you look at the modern midfielders, they tend to be bigger bodied. Wallis brings all the attributes we need to become a defensive midfielder that has the ability to sit on dangerous players through our midfield. He is team orientated, determined, persistent, resilient, selfless, tough etc.

It worked for Tony Liberatore and extended his career. Could it work for Mitch? Thoughts?

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 12:03 AM
Swoop, there is no doubt Wallis has all the attributes you have listed but to me he just the leg speed and the kicking skills that could make him into a defensive minded midfielder as you have suggested. The game moves so much quicker than when Tony Liberatore played.

boydogs
18-08-2022, 01:08 AM
A recurring theme that has emerged throughout the season has been the need to add a tougher and more defensive element to our midfield. The name William Drew has been mentioned throughout discussions but I wonder whether we need to look within?

Wallis was originally drafted as a midfielder and understandably fell behind a talented queue. He was forced to reinvent himself and to his credit did a formidable job as a forward. He now finds himself on the outer again.

Is it time to reinvent Wallis as the defensive midfielder we need? If you look at the modern midfielders, they tend to be bigger bodied. Wallis brings all the attributes we need to become a defensive midfielder that has the ability to sit on dangerous players through our midfield. He is team orientated, determined, persistent, resilient, selfless, tough etc.

It worked for Tony Liberatore and extended his career. Could it work for Mitch? Thoughts?

That used to be Mitch's role, defensive side of the stoppage. Not sure he's up to it now but peak Wallis is what we're missing

jeemak
18-08-2022, 03:17 AM
In 2016 Wallis was ranked elite by Champion Data as a midfielder. His hands were first rate, kicking was better than passable. His tackling was also outstanding.

I have very little doubt he could play a stopping role, and with the right positioning he wouldn't get too burned on the spread. However, that sort of role just isn't on the cards for us because we already have three of our major five or six mids who have all proven themselves as capable in playing the role but very rarely get called on to do so.

Mitch can always have a spot on our list as depth as long as his body holds up. But a bit like Lippa, his value elsewhere to a team with a different mix would be greater than it is with us and I wouldn't begrudge him a move elsewhere.

People forget how good his hands were, how good his tackling was and how much he could run. He's no slower than Mundy, rather, he just hasn't had the opportunities Mundy's had since breaking his leg and being forced to play second fiddle roles to more credentialed players.

azabob
18-08-2022, 01:36 PM
In 2016 Wallis was ranked elite by Champion Data as a midfielder. His hands were first rate, kicking was better than passable. His tackling was also outstanding.

I have very little doubt he could play a stopping role, and with the right positioning he wouldn't get too burned on the spread. However, that sort of role just isn't on the cards for us because we already have three of our major five or six mids who have all proven themselves as capable in playing the role but very rarely get called on to do so.

Mitch can always have a spot on our list as depth as long as his body holds up. But a bit like Lippa, his value elsewhere to a team with a different mix would be greater than it is with us and I wouldn't begrudge him a move elsewhere.

People forget how good his hands were, how good his tackling was and how much he could run. He's no slower than Mundy, rather, he just hasn't had the opportunities Mundy's had since breaking his leg and being forced to play second fiddle roles to more credentialed players.

Hopefully our philosophy changes and Mitch and Toby get that opportunity to put their hand up.

anfo27
20-08-2022, 11:18 AM
I love Mitch & what he brings to the club. I think of resilience, tough, heart & soul, team orientated leader when I think of Wal. I'm amazed he's still with us but I guess that would downplay his love for the club.
I have little doubt that Wal has the attributes to convert back to the role swoop has indicated. The concern is whether Bevo wants that type of role player in the team. I think its best for Wal if we cut him lose. His leadership is valuable & would be very useful for another side by playing in a senior team & leading on ground as well. We won't give him that opportunity so we need to do whats best for him & ourselves as well. We would free up some coin from our end too.

Bulldog Joe
20-08-2022, 11:26 AM
I love Mitch & what he brings to the club. I think of resilience, tough, heart & soul, team orientated leader when I think of Wal. I'm amazed he's still with us but I guess that would downplay his love for the club.
I have little doubt that Wal has the attributes to convert back to the role swoop has indicated. The concern is whether Bevo wants that type of role player in the team. I think its best for Wal if we cut him lose. His leadership is valuable & would be very useful for another side by playing in a senior team & leading on ground as well. We won't give him that opportunity so we need to do whats best for him & ourselves as well. We would free up some coin from our end too.

I doubt Wally would be on anything beyond basic.

Stevo
20-08-2022, 11:28 AM

A wonderful club man and leader and we should never underestimate how that horrific injury a few years back slowed him down.
I have my doubts he can return to the team in a consistent way but it would make for an inspiration for many in this team.