PDA

View Full Version : Can we win the flag this year?

1eyedog
15-09-2020, 10:03 PM
It's 1ED's annual (first time this has ever happened), poll and discussion about our chances in the 2020 AFL finals.

I put it to you that it has never been a more difficult (or easy), season to win a flag from 6-8 spot than it will be this year.

Difficult because of the emotional and mental upheaval of a long-term relocation, not playing in front of fans, not seeing family etc. and this is the case for all Victorian teams. But also easy because Brisbane are the only team that might have an advantage in the GF but they are not unbeatable. If we get a Collingwood or St. Kilda for our first final that's a very winnable game. Things can happen, the exuberance of youth, things might snowball...

I've never been shy to go early and stay late so I put it to you, fellow WOOFERs, Brothers in arms, Sons of the Scray, can we win the Grand Final this year? If not, why? What are we lacking? Players, experience? Something else? Who can beat us at our best?

What's a pass mark for season 2020?

Lots of questions...

Vred
15-09-2020, 10:06 PM
I’ll be happy with one final win, that’s my passing mark, anything more is a huge bonus.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-09-2020, 10:06 PM
I hope I can come back to this Sunday night.

EasternWest
15-09-2020, 10:09 PM
Why not us?

I don't really think we will, but stranger things have happened.

1eyedog
15-09-2020, 10:10 PM
Damn my poll didn't work...

Bulldog Joe
15-09-2020, 10:10 PM
I’ll be happy with one final win, that’s my passing mark, anything more is a huge bonus.

I will be happy to win next week and be able to say the same thing after the next 4 games

1eyedog
15-09-2020, 10:12 PM
I mean, I'm nervous as hell about Freo this Sunday.

Eastdog
15-09-2020, 10:13 PM
First need to win on Sunday. Amazing things can happen as we experienced in 2016 but realistically I reckon we could make the semi finals.

Hotdog60
15-09-2020, 10:14 PM
I think we can. The talent is there it depends on if we can put it together for four quarters.
I wonder if the heads are old enough to keep it in the zone when the tide starts to turn.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2020, 10:25 PM
Evidence suggests no, talent gives us hope.

I'm worried about Freo though.

Dry Rot
15-09-2020, 10:33 PM
I reckon that playing at our best we have a good chance of knocking off the Giants, Demons, Saints and maybe even Port and the Pies.

The Tigers and a full strength Eagles are a different proposition for us, IMO.

chef
15-09-2020, 10:59 PM
Its 2020 and anything is possible so *!*!*!*! yeah.

josie
15-09-2020, 11:01 PM
On our day if we turn up we can beat anyone. Not sure we can do this for consecutive weeks with what is still a youngish list. And to be realistic we have been up and down within games let alone week to week.

However Bevo being the story teller he is and with our exciting players - Naughton, Bont, B Smith, Daniel ....anything is possible. To use an old cliche the club and we supporters need to take it 1 week at a time.

My guess is we might be a little suspect with our fringe players compared to top 4 clubs this year.

Agree with others 1 or 2 wins would be great for building confidence for next year.

And thinking positively - why not us? Go Dogs!!

SonofScray
15-09-2020, 11:06 PM
Yes. The Flag* Will Wag Again.

MrMahatma
15-09-2020, 11:16 PM
Gee... I reckon Sunday is 50/50. I’d prob be more confident against Pies or Saints.

Twodogs
15-09-2020, 11:25 PM

What's your poll question 1eye? I should be able to edit it in.

1eyedog
15-09-2020, 11:40 PM
Oh I don't know it was some nonsense.

Twodogs
15-09-2020, 11:43 PM
Oh I don't know it was some nonsense.

Point taken.

Twodogs
15-09-2020, 11:45 PM
There we go.

Dry Rot
16-09-2020, 12:01 AM
What's your poll question 1eye? I should be able to edit it in.

While you at your Mod controls, I think we should we should have a new, seperate Board devoted to Caleb Daniel, with all the posts in a tiny font.

bornadog
16-09-2020, 12:09 AM
Yeah we can go all the way, I can't see why not. We have shown against some good teams we can play devastating footy. Just need a 4 quarter effort. Naughton, Dunks coming back in the second half of the season has made all the difference

Twodogs
16-09-2020, 12:15 AM
While you at your Mod controls, I think we should we should have a new, seperate Board devoted to Caleb Daniel, with all the posts in a tiny font.

That's a bloody good idea. Using lots of those funny Swedish punctuation marks that look like helmets.

Dry Rot
16-09-2020, 12:23 AM
On a serious note, I have only seen the highlights but Daniel's play shown was elite. That intercept and goal was fantastic.

Truly deserves his own Board.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-09-2020, 12:27 AM
On a serious note, I have only seen the highlights but Daniel's play shown was elite. That intercept and goal was fantastic.

I’d go so far as to say he is the most underrated player in the comp. if he was taller he’d be a Brownlow favourite

Twodogs
16-09-2020, 12:31 AM

He's playing as well as I've seen a bulldog player play apart from Kelvin Templeton and maybe the Bont over 45 years of watching. Both were match winners, KT could own a game like no other by taking 25 contested marks and kicking 10 goals while having 3 opponents hanging off him at every contest, the Bont can win a game with owning every important contest and are both next level to all the rest.

Caleb's form this year puts him on the next bracket with Doug Hawkins, Chris Grant, Brad Johnson and a few others.

boydogs
16-09-2020, 01:53 AM
Our record against top 8 sides is shocking but we could get a mighty easy run against St Kilda, West Coast in QLD, Brisbane and Port in QLD

Send us to Perth or Adelaide, or against Richmond or Geelong, and I think we're done

jeemak
16-09-2020, 02:21 AM

How many times have you said that late in the piece...…..?

jeemak
16-09-2020, 02:24 AM
There we go.

That's a bloody good idea. Using lots of those funny Swedish punctuation marks that look like helmets.

Additionally it would be nice if we had a thread devoted to player contract status. Possibly stickied if that's at all possible.

EasternWest
16-09-2020, 03:17 AM
Additionally it would be nice if we had a thread devoted to player contract status. Possibly stickied if that's at all possible.

Seconded.

azabob
16-09-2020, 08:09 AM
Seconded.

Motion carried. Why hasn't it been actioned yet?

azabob
16-09-2020, 08:10 AM
2016 we pretty much turned up to play week in week out.

2020 not so much.

I still voted yes we can.

comrade
16-09-2020, 08:52 AM
We rely too heavily on our top 15, and especially our top 5-6 to be a true contender. The top teams truly bat deep which we don’t.

I also think our ruck approach has too much risk of coming unstuck (English goes down, English just gets physically dominated) and we won’t be able to adapt.

Until we fill out out our playing list and players like West, Lipinski, VDM, Cavarra, Weightman etc become consistent AFL quality footballers or we bring in a few mature best 22 types, we’ll continue to float around that 6-10 spot.

Happy Days
16-09-2020, 09:56 AM
Threads like this are why we can’t have nice things.

Bulldog4life
16-09-2020, 10:05 AM
In answer to the question of course we can. We started the 2016 finals at 67/1 and won the bloody thing. If we are in it we can win it. Without a doubt.

Ozza
16-09-2020, 10:19 AM
Although we finished 7th in '16 - we had beaten a number of finals teams during that season (Syd, WCE, Adel, North), and had run Hawthorn to a few points - so we were more 'proven' against good teams that year.

This year, we have only beaten West Coast in terms of teams above us, and have beaten all of the teams below us except for Carlton. I'd started the year having a prelim as the pass mark. Now I'd say we are realistically 6th-9th sort of territory. But we are healthy, and in recent times picking a more settled side...so we may surprise.

dog town
16-09-2020, 10:39 AM
Nothing is impossible but it would be the greatest coaching performance of all time if we won. It’s not even comparable to 2016 in terms of personnel.

comrade
16-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Nothing is impossible but it would be the greatest coaching performance of all time if we won. It’s not even comparable to 2016 in terms of personnel.

Even I would shut up about Bevo for good if he masterminded a flag this year.

mjp
16-09-2020, 12:08 PM
I voted 'NO'. I am somehow in the negative minority.

I suspect the Melbourne lockdown is the one and only explanation and all you 'YES VOTERS' have actually lost your minds...or at the very least your marbles.

Of the current top 4:

- Port beat us.
- Brisbane beat us.
- Geelong beat us.
- Richmond beat us.

Collingwood also beat us. So did the Saints (who might make it).

We beat WC by a kick - a result seemingly dismissed by many posters so 'depleted' was their line up.

So - somehow we are going to win 4 in a row playing against 7 other teams who we have a combined record of 1-6 against?

You people are plain loco!

comrade
16-09-2020, 12:31 PM

I suspect the Melbourne lockdown is the one and only explanation and all you 'YES VOTERS' have actually lost your minds...or at the very least your marbles.

Of the current top 4:

- Port beat us.
- Brisbane beat us.
- Geelong beat us.
- Richmond beat us.

We beat WC by a kick - a result seemingly dismissed by many posters so 'depleted' was their line up.

So - somehow we are going to win 4 in a row playing against 7 other teams who we have a combined record of 1-6 against?

You're supposed to be one of the positive ones!

The Pie Man
16-09-2020, 12:41 PM

Of the current top 4:

- Port beat us.
- Brisbane beat us.
- Geelong beat us.
- Richmond beat us.

I’ll play devil’s advocate.

I only fear Richmond (who are my flag tip) and perhaps a full strength WC. Didn’t want to play Geelong in ‘16 and look how avoiding them turned out.

* 20 minutes in the 3rd quarter against Port lost us that game
* Injuries cost us the Geelong game
* We were competitive against Brisbane

I’d settle for a) winning this Sunday and actually qualifying, and b) a semi final appearance.

Give me full pre seasons into Vandemeer, Bruce & whoever else could have an impact and who knows where we can go next year

Twodogs
16-09-2020, 12:59 PM

Of the current top 4:

- Port beat us.
- Brisbane beat us.
- Geelong beat us.
- Richmond beat us.

who you tryna get crazy with ese dontcha know i'm loco

https://youtu.be/dzvC2JP8V2E

1eyedog
16-09-2020, 01:02 PM
Threads like this are why we can’t have nice things.

We have Caleb Daniel.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-09-2020, 01:26 PM
No wockin furries.
Same as '16.
Bevo to get the unified sense of moment and purpose on the day, boys deliver their best.

Danny the snakeman
16-09-2020, 01:28 PM
I'd say we'll be playing the eagles here in perth so im afraid thats where it will end.

1eyedog
16-09-2020, 01:34 PM
I'd say we'll be playing the eagles here in perth so im afraid thats where it will end.

I don't think the Pies will beat Port.

We've won 4/5 and the loss was against Geelong by 11 points after dominating them and then going two down.

Axe Man
16-09-2020, 01:35 PM

Are you expecting Collingwood to beat Port?

mjp
16-09-2020, 01:52 PM
You're supposed to be one of the positive ones!

I know right - that's what made me laugh!

I think we are OK but I doubt any of the top sides are losing much sleep over playing us.

Eastdog
16-09-2020, 01:55 PM
Voted No. If we win this week realistically semi finals I think we can get but I could be proven wrong.

Bulldog Joe
16-09-2020, 01:58 PM

Of the current top 4:

- Port beat us.
- Brisbane beat us.
- Geelong beat us.
- Richmond beat us.

That is just the past.

Life is lived in the future.

Anything is possible in the future until the event occurs and becomes history.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-09-2020, 02:10 PM
It’s most likely the saints we will play if we make it. Whilst they’re the weakest top 8 side I wouldn’t be too confident knowing how our games typically go against them.

mjp
16-09-2020, 02:48 PM
That is just the past.

Life is lived in the future.

Anything is possible in the future until the event occurs and becomes history.

ummm. I feel like you have skipped over something...Life is lived in the PRESENT!!!

The future is for dreamers and wannabees!

soupman
16-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Imo as a gut feel the way we play and approach games we are a 8/10 chance to beat the really shit teams, 7/10 to beat the mediocre teams and 4/10 to beat the good teams. It means we are always a reasonable chance against any opponent, but I'd rate basically every team we might face in the 8 as at least a "good" team comparatively so short of a 2016 style against all odds run no chance.

I'm also worried that we haven't really proven that we can't be bullied into submission as we were in the final last year and rounds 1 and 2 this year, we have been much improved since then but i don't think we have faced that kind of heat since those few games (I'm not counting the GWS game as they turned the dial too far towards antagonising us and forgot to turn up to play). Libba definitely helps alot in this regard but I'm still not sure i trust the side not to wilt.

1eyedog
16-09-2020, 08:25 PM
ummm. I feel like you have skipped over something...Life is lived in the PRESENT!!!

If we don't have dreams we don't have anything.

Go Dogs!

Bulldog Joe
16-09-2020, 08:31 PM

The present passes quickly. When I finish this post I will have gone past the present of when i started.

comrade
16-09-2020, 08:42 PM
The present passes quickly. When I finish this post I will have gone past the present of when i started.

There is nothing but the present.

jeemak
16-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Although we finished 7th in '16 - we had beaten a number of finals teams during that season (Syd, WCE, Adel, North), and had run Hawthorn to a few points - so we were more 'proven' against good teams that year.

This year, we have only beaten West Coast in terms of teams above us, and have beaten all of the teams below us except for Carlton. I'd started the year having a prelim as the pass mark. Now I'd say we are realistically 6th-9th sort of territory. But we are healthy, and in recent times picking a more settled side...so we may surprise.

We had such horrendous continuity in 2016, nothing from the first few rounds suggested to me we weren't genuinely a top four side. We proved we were a bit better than that in the end. And we did so emphatically.

I said after the Geelong loss that I reckon we're a week two or three of the finals side, should we make it. Think we've certainly proved we're as some sides in the eight, but not all of them.

jeemak
16-09-2020, 09:06 PM

I think we are OK but I doubt any of the top sides are losing much sleep over playing us.

The top sides would be thinking a) are they going to bring their effort/ intensity across the ground/ game for four quarters and b) have they become more organised defencively?

Put in a disciplined four quarter showing Sunday night and I reckon a few clubs will at least wake up a touch unnerved and with a funny taste in their mouths.....

Sedat
16-09-2020, 11:02 PM

If we are good enough to make it, I don't think Richmond or Port would be too keen on playing us with a fit and in form Naughton. Likewise Brisbane without Andrews, and Naughton was only playing his first game back when we last played them and was very rusty.

When we played Richmond, Port and Brisbane we had a borderline dysfunctional forward line and had a terrible conversion rate of I50's to scores/goals. Over the last 5 rounds since the Adelaide game, we are top 2 in the comp for this measure, with Naughton a big part of that improvement. We know he's a threat in the air but he is also incredibly competitive when the ball hits the deck.

FrediKanoute
16-09-2020, 11:37 PM
Beat Freo and make the finals, then take it one week at a time

Eastdog
16-09-2020, 11:42 PM
Beat Freo and make the finals, then take it one week at a time

Yep good attitude.

boydogs
22-09-2020, 02:36 AM
Our record against top 8 sides is shocking but we could get a mighty easy run against St Kilda, West Coast in QLD, Brisbane and Port in QLD

Send us to Perth or Adelaide, or against Richmond or Geelong, and I think we're done

St Kilda, Brisbane, Port > GF

Brisbane & Port finished top 2 but are both underdogs in the betting in the first week of finals, their ladder positions are inflated by having home ground advantages when others haven't

merantau
22-09-2020, 07:16 AM
If you think you can - you can: if you think you can't - you can't. Go in with the right mind set and anything is possible. We all know what happened in 2016.
Things have fallen our way with Port winning. Even if Naughton doesn't come up for the St Kilda game, I'm not concerned. I am 100% confident we will beat them.
After that - who knows? In our two most recent matches against teams above us we won against WC and led for 95% of the game against Geelong.
One issue that has haunted us this year if that, more often than not, at crucial points - we have failed to take our moments!! Psychologically, this has a very negative impact on the team. Turn that around and performance lifts all round. The added pressure to execute (in order to compensate for previous failures) is lifted and ... voila!! The ball is kicked over the umpires head, the mark is clunked, the half volley is picked up clean as a whistle, the pass to a team mate free inside 50 hits him lace out!
It's all about belief and being able to execute. I can't think of too many games when we have kicked straight. Get that right and we can do anything! A convincing performance against St Kilda will stir the pot just beautifully. BELIEVE Bulldogs supporters. Anything is possible!

comrade
22-09-2020, 07:56 AM
2019 when we were humming at the end of the season, the break came at the wrong time.

2020 has some 2016 vibes, as the week off will allow Naughts and Wally to heal in time, Baz gets a well needed spell, Libba can rest and get ready to unload etc

It ain’t over!

AshMac
22-09-2020, 08:32 AM
The footy gods couldn’t have lined us up better IMO - likely we’d all have picked saints or pies as an elimination opponent and honestly I’d prefer the saints.

No more travel - let alone 7 day quarantine as well.

Ideal run for mine:

saints: 2 weeks to repair and prepare, they won’t get the jump on us again
Lions: no Harris Andrews, Naughton takes 12 contested marks. 6 goals.
Port: need to be on our best, very winnable
Tigers: control the source, immense pressure on cotchin at the stoppages

Caleb Daniel norm smith winner.

One week at a time.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-09-2020, 10:04 AM
The break before finals did wonders for us in 2016. Last year it halted our momentum. This year it could do the same. I hope not. I’m confident that if we’re locked in we will beat the saints. We just need concentration and defensive pressure and we’ll be fine. Beat them and I’d be confident of beating the Lions.

However after that it gets tricky. A prelim against Port/Cats wouldn’t be easy. I think we’re capable of winning the flag this year but I don’t think we will.

strebla
22-09-2020, 10:51 AM
I'm very confident heading into week one but I'm not one to get ahead of myself. Nervous optimism tells me why not we have the cattle I believe but still see Richmond as one of the most even teams across the ground I have ever seen. I think we can get to the dance just not sure we can stop the tigers hip hop dance moves.

1eyedog
22-09-2020, 11:41 AM
If we can beat the Saints we may get our tail up and on a roll. We've simply got to extend the length of time we play at our best. If we can do this we can beat anyone.