PDA

View Full Version : The nostalgia series - the best premiership EVER, 4 years ago today

The bulldog tragician
01-10-2020, 02:21 PM
When I look back at this precious day, I am actually stunned how calm I was. I'd always thought I'd be consumed with terror at the thought of us being embarrassed on grand final day if we finally got there, but it was somehow all about floating on the tide of emotion.

The best moments were sometimes outside the actual day: seeing the 'G with our emblem painted on it; the way Old Footscray town came alive to urge our team on and then celebrate the win; the packed train on the way to the Grand Final parade; the feeling at our beloved home the next day when we all packed in to celebrate, and my sister and I fulfilled a long-held promise to lie down on the grass where my dad played for the reserves in the 50s.

Here's the blog for that day/week: http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-tragician-blog/the-2016-premiership-blog-the-force-was-with-us-and-we-were-the-force

Eastdog
01-10-2020, 02:27 PM
What a great week it was TBT. I did it all. The whole of Melbourne and Victoria was awash with red white and blue.

- Went to the Grand final training session at Whitten Oval, Footscray on Thursday morning with 10,000 fellow supporters.

- Went to the Grand Final Parade on Friday with over 100K people.

- Went to the Grand final itself on Saturday at the MCG with close to 100K there.

- Went to the Premiership party day at Whitten Oval, Footscray the next day with 30K supporters.

Would love to do this all again in the future!

comrade
01-10-2020, 02:32 PM
I was nervous, but a lot more optimistic pre game than I was before the prelim. The sense of destiny was so strong, it felt like the result was already determined.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-10-2020, 02:43 PM
When I look back at this precious day, I am actually stunned how calm I was. I'd always thought I'd be consumed with terror at the thought of us being embarrassed on grand final day if we finally got there, but it was somehow all about floating on the tide of emotion.

The best moments were sometimes outside the actual day: seeing the 'G with our emblem painted on it; the way Old Footscray town came alive to urge our team on and then celebrate the win; the packed train on the way to the Grand Final parade; the feeling at our beloved home the next day when we all packed in to celebrate, and my sister and I fulfilled a long-held promise to lie down on the grass where my dad played for the reserves in the 50s.

Here's the blog for that day/week: http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-tragician-blog/the-2016-premiership-blog-the-force-was-with-us-and-we-were-the-force

Couldn't have said it better myself. Highlighted points especially. I also took a screen grab of the AFL.com.au homepage that had "Bulldogs v Swans 2016 AFL Grand Final" on it. It seemed a bit surreal to see our logo and colours everywhere associated with a grand final. Each year watching the premiers hoist the cup on the dias, I dreamt of it being us. When the moment arrived for us it just seemed.....natural.

Like you I was quietly nervous yet mostly calm. The nerves came from the event itself rather than what was on the line. Being my first grand final in attendance it certainly had a different feel to it. It was as though there was a lessened importance as it took on a feel of a regular game.

Typically a close game in an important final would be excruciating ala the prelim a week before. But I was so calm. So positive. So sure we would win. I liked that feeling and I miss it!

bornadog
01-10-2020, 03:25 PM
Grand final week I don't think I did a sceric of work. It was so exciting knowing that we were actually in a grand final and we could enjoy the build up as Easty mentioned with Training, the Parade, meeting at Fed Square.

Like BT, I wasn't nervous at all, I just wanted to enjoy the day and I was quietly confident we were going to win.

When JJ kicked that goal, I was ecstatic, and thought this was our premiership, but then came down to earth with a thud as there was still time for Swans to kick a couple. Of course when Boyd kicked his goal after the great tackle from Morro, I knew then it was all over bar the shouting.

At the end, text messages were coming in from everywhere and my daughter rang me from Japan (she was there on extended holiday). I thought I would be a blubbering mess, but I didn't shed a tear. After the presentations etc, instead of going to the pub, I headed home as I couldn't wait to watch the game again. My wife was shocked when I arrived home.

Whenever I re watch the match, I do get teary eyed - a great memory.

Twodogs
01-10-2020, 03:57 PM
Grand final week I don't think I did a sceric of work. It was so exciting knowing that we were actually in a grand final and we could enjoy the build up as Easty mentioned with Training, the Parade, meeting at Fed Square.

Like BT, I wasn't nervous at all, I just wanted to enjoy the day and I was quietly confident we were going to win.

When JJ kicked that goal, I was ecstatic, and thought this was our premiership, but then came down to earth with a thud as there was still time for Swans to kick a couple. Of course when Boyd kicked his goal after the great tackle from Morro, I knew then it was all over bar the shouting.

At the end, text messages were coming in from everywhere and my daughter rang me from Japan (she was there on extended holiday). I thought I would be a blubbering mess, but I didn't shed a tear. After the presentations etc, instead of going to the pub, I headed home as I couldn't wait to watch the game again. My wife was shocked when I arrived home.

Whenever I re watch the match, I do get teary eyed - a great memory.

I went straight home too even though I always thought I'd paint the town red. I just wanted to see my kids and my dad more than anything else.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-10-2020, 04:07 PM
I was nervous, but a lot more optimistic pre game than I was before the prelim. The sense of destiny was so strong, it felt like the result was already determined.

I was the same on GF.
I had trepidations every game of the finals, thought we would lose to West Coast, then Hawks, then GWS....
I was quite calm on Grand Final day.

SquirrelGrip
01-10-2020, 04:21 PM
https://ibb.co/N1gqjcQ

And the Western Suburbs erupt...

Eastdog
01-10-2020, 04:59 PM
I went straight home too even though I always thought I'd paint the town red. I just wanted to see my kids and my dad more than anything else.

Yeah also went home as well. I took the train in from the eastern suburbs in the morning which had plenty of excited Doggies supporters on board and then before getting picked up by mum after the game I got my Mark knight poster 2 copies one for my wall and one just kept for being lamented and rolled up and just amazed at what the Dogs achieved.

bornadog
01-10-2020, 05:32 PM
The dam wall has broken

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EjOTmHYU8AMoMfa?format=jpg&name=medium

Grantysghost
01-10-2020, 05:48 PM
Can't believe it's four years. Went with my mum and wife, mum was at 54 so was very special.
Hugged randoms, shed tears, enjoyed The Living End. My childhood footy days ended when that final siren went. Thirty five years of being crap, ok, close, robbed, heartbroken all kärchered away by that amazing team.

I was amazingly lucky enough to go to the after party. Still pinch myself I got to talk to Bevo one on one; "can you believe this?" I said to him...."No!" was the response.
I even got a man hug off of Easton. Very special day.

I'm enjoying this second chapter being a Dogs supporter. Let's hope the wait isn't as long and we start by burying those cheating aints this weekend ! Go Dogs !

https://i.postimg.cc/PrrQpxsd/Screenshot-20201001-165129-Drive.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

jazzadogs
01-10-2020, 05:54 PM
I had a couple of thoughts today, reflecting on Tom Boyd's grand final moments and overall career.

1) Has there ever been a more outrageous and unexpected moment than Tom Boyd's 60m bomb to win a grand final? I've seen Hodge kick goals, I've seen Leo Barry take contested marks, I've seen Aker and Chappy kick snap goals. I'd never seen Tom Boyd kick a 60m bomb. The only thing I can think of that is close is Wayne Harmes belting the ball back in from the front row for the blues.

2) Who would look back at their career more fondly - Tom Boyd or Nick Riewoldt (insert your own player who played a lot of games but didn't win a flag). Riewoldt played over 300 games, captained his club, AA and B&Fs, he did it all - but he played in 2 losing grand finals, 1 draw, and has one of the most demoralising GF moments in Heath Shaw's smother. Boyd retired after a 61 game career during which he was top 3 on field in a winning grand final. It's a genuinely tough call.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-10-2020, 06:29 PM
I had a couple of thoughts today, reflecting on Tom Boyd's grand final moments and overall career.

1) Has there ever been a more outrageous and unexpected moment than Tom Boyd's 60m bomb to win a grand final? I've seen Hodge kick goals, I've seen Leo Barry take contested marks, I've seen Aker and Chappy kick snap goals. I'd never seen Tom Boyd kick a 60m bomb. The only thing I can think of that is close is Wayne Harmes belting the ball back in from the front row for the blues.

2) Who would look back at their career more fondly - Tom Boyd or Nick Riewoldt (insert your own player who played a lot of games but didn't win a flag). Riewoldt played over 300 games, captained his club, AA and B&Fs, he did it all - but he played in 2 losing grand finals, 1 draw, and has one of the most demoralising GF moments in Heath Shaw's smother. Boyd retired after a 61 game career during which he was top 3 on field in a winning grand final. It's a genuinely tough call.

I would have just given the nod to Nick but his dive tarnished his reputation and he got his just deserves.

In all seriousness I’d normally say the likes of Riewoldt. However given the incredible circumstances of the win for Boyd - a drought breaking bulldogs premiership - it makes it a difficult decision such was the occasion.

I always have a similar conversation with friends. Who has the more meaningful career - one club legends such as Riewoldt/Grant/Robert Harvey etc who did everything but win a premiership or the likes of Lake or Tom Lynch who jumped clubs but won premierships?

Twodogs
01-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Yeah also went home as well. I took the train in from the eastern suburbs in the morning which had plenty of excited Doggies supporters on board and then before getting picked up by mum after the game I got my Mark knight poster 2 copies one for my wall and one just kept for being lamented and rolled up and just amazed at what the Dogs achieved.

That means you felt sorry for it Easty! I think you meant laminated.

I've always said that you play footy to win premierships. The AAs and being club captain and B&Fs are nice but they are essentially ephemeral (ephemera?) to getting on the dais and being handed a premiership medal and doing a lap with the cup. If I were Nick Riewoldt I would give it all up to swap places with Tom Boyd for that one day alone.

EasternWest
01-10-2020, 07:30 PM
The dam wall has broken

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EjOTmHYU8AMoMfa?format=jpg&name=medium

LOVE that photo.

The bulldog tragician
01-10-2020, 07:40 PM
That opens the door to some huge meaning-of-life questions of the value of premierships over sustained excellence. Shane Biggs’ crazily fanatical moments in the GF made him a premiership player, is this better than the long illustrious careers of Grant, Johnson, West & co. I always used to say there were many other reasons to cherish a footy team including watching careers unfold, sharing the players’ journeys and the “just being there” element. The deeds of 2016 make me wonder about that.

And has any premiership team extracted so much from so many scrappers, rejects and rookies? It was the alchemy and self belief that set this group apart. How strange that we waited so long for messiahs and yet it was a bunch of so many unlikely heroes and far from blue chip talent finAlly delivering for us. How strange that two blokes overlooked in drafts, who didn’t debut until their 20s kicked three goals each in a grand final, and that the pivotal moment, that tackle on Franklin, was delivered by another guy who didn’t get a chance and was overlooked countless times.

I look at our current group and wonder sometimes which of them has...or will have...that fire to deliver when it Matters most, that even our greatest champs did not.

Eastdog
01-10-2020, 07:51 PM
That means you felt sorry for it Easty! I think you meant laminated.

Yep my mistake laminated I meant :D

Twodogs
01-10-2020, 07:56 PM
Yep my mistake laminated I meant :D

Nothing to lament about a Bulldogs premiership poster.

Eastdog
01-10-2020, 07:57 PM
Nothing to lament about a Bulldogs premiership poster.

No certainly not! Was a great feeling when I went to buy them after the GF.

Twodogs
01-10-2020, 08:02 PM
No certainly not! Was a great feeling when I went to buy them after the GF.

When I arrived at my parents house that night my mum handed me a premiership cap with a little cup badge attached. I've still got no idea how or where she got it so quickly.

jazzadogs
01-10-2020, 09:19 PM
That opens the door to some huge meaning-of-life questions of the value of premierships over sustained excellence. Shane Biggs’ crazily fanatical moments in the GF made him a premiership player, is this better than the long illustrious careers of Grant, Johnson, West & co. I always used to say there were many other reasons to cherish a footy team including watching careers unfold, sharing the players’ journeys and the “just being there” element. The deeds of 2016 make me wonder about that.

And has any premiership team extracted so much from so many scrappers, rejects and rookies? It was the alchemy and self belief that set this group apart. How strange that we waited so long for messiahs and yet it was a bunch of so many unlikely heroes and far from blue chip talent finAlly delivering for us. How strange that two blokes overlooked in drafts, who didn’t debut until their 20s kicked three goals each in a grand final, and that the pivotal moment, that tackle on Franklin, was delivered by another guy who didn’t get a chance and was overlooked countless times.

I look at our current group and wonder sometimes which of them has...or will have...that fire to deliver when it Matters most, that even our greatest champs did not.

I think almost all of the Bulldog legends would swap their careers for Boyd/Biggs/Clay, as would I. However I think it depends on the psyche of the player - I don't think that someone like Dangerfield would swap his career. As much as he would like a flag, I think he would be very pleased with his individual success.

Ozza
02-10-2020, 12:28 PM
Few dot point memories of the week and the day....

- Broke my finger that week, so went into the grand final injured!
- Went to training on the Thursday, and caught up with a good mate who used to do some part time medical related work for the club....and he told me to keep the secret (which I did!) that Moz was going into the game with two small fractures in his back but "he'll be fine" and that it was Jackson Macrae who he'd gone in to see that day (Jacko had 33 possessions carrying a bit of a groin).
- Was really excited to get the Footy record during the week. Had always got them as a kid - and us finally being on the front of one, was really big for me.
- Spent the week with an unusual, unnerving, unbulldog like confidence. Told friends during the week that I wasn't being cocky, but that I legitimately couldn't picture us not winning. And was also saying that if we were in front or within a goal or two at half time, that we'd be winning.
- Morning of the game, had a grand final brekkie function on. Then walked up the hill to the ground by myself and felt pretty emotional about it all. Got to the ground took my seat with my old man and another relative we've always gone to the footy with.
- Half time was the only time I left my seat, and we were only 2 points down....so based on my theory of being within a goal or so at half time that we'd win - I couldn't help myself from smiling as I lined up for the bathroom.
- Picken's goal (the Shane Biggs one) was the moment for me, that I thought we had it. Obviously had the JJ goal/non goal concern, and then the Tom Boyd goal - but the Picken goal where we 'out-willed' Sydney felt like the biggest moment.
- After the game, we didn't know what to do with ourselves, where to go, what to do!
- By the time I got home at 5am - I'd seen the game in full 3 more times at different people's house over many beers. Woke up on the couch fully clothed (including shoes) and could hear the players being introduced to the crowd at Whitten oval from where I lived at the time just over the other side of the tracks in Seddon.
- B&F night on the Wednesday was a real highlight.

Eastdog
02-10-2020, 01:10 PM
LOVE that photo.

It is an iconic photo.

Eastdog
02-10-2020, 01:13 PM
I have a great avatar now :D

Twodogs
02-10-2020, 07:58 PM
Few dot point memories of the week and the day....

- Broke my finger that week, so went into the grand final injured!
- Went to training on the Thursday, and caught up with a good mate who used to do some part time medical related work for the club....and he told me to keep the secret (which I did!) that Moz was going into the game with two small fractures in his back but "he'll be fine" and that it was Jackson Macrae who he'd gone in to see that day (Jacko had 33 possessions carrying a bit of a groin).
- Was really excited to get the Footy record during the week. Had always got them as a kid - and us finally being on the front of one, was really big for me.
- Spent the week with an unusual, unnerving, unbulldog like confidence. Told friends during the week that I wasn't being cocky, but that I legitimately couldn't picture us not winning. And was also saying that if we were in front or within a goal or two at half time, that we'd be winning.
- Morning of the game, had a grand final brekkie function on. Then walked up the hill to the ground by myself and felt pretty emotional about it all. Got to the ground took my seat with my old man and another relative we've always gone to the footy with.
- Half time was the only time I left my seat, and we were only 2 points down....so based on my theory of being within a goal or so at half time that we'd win - I couldn't help myself from smiling as I lined up for the bathroom.
- Picken's goal (the Shane Biggs one) was the moment for me, that I thought we had it. Obviously had the JJ goal/non goal concern, and then the Tom Boyd goal - but the Picken goal where we 'out-willed' Sydney felt like the biggest moment.
- After the game, we didn't know what to do with ourselves, where to go, what to do!
- By the time I got home at 5am - I'd seen the game in full 3 more times at different people's house over many beers. Woke up on the couch fully clothed (including shoes) and could hear the players being introduced to the crowd at Whitten oval from where I lived at the time just over the other side of the tracks in Seddon.
- B&F night on the Wednesday was a real highlight.

I wasn't living far from the ground either. I'd walked home from Footscray station and found myself outside the ground in Barkly st (could you find yourself anywhere more iconic?) where a huge group of supporters had gathered and were holding up traffic. A police car drove up and I remember thinking "this is going to get interesting." So the rooflights started flashing and one of the coppers leant out the window and yelled "red, white and blue!" The crowd went off their heads.