PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 2021 Team

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2020, 01:11 PM
What will be our best starting lineup for Round 1 2021?
We have to start somewhere....

B: Williams Hamling Gardner
HB: JJ Keath Crozier
C: Hunter Smith Macrae
HF: Daniel Naughton Dunkley
F: Jamarra English McLean
Foll: Goldstein Bontempelli Liberatore
Int: Richards West Wood Schache

soupman
06-10-2020, 01:23 PM
I'm just going to blatantly steal from my monster post in another thread, with a few editorial changes. This is how I see us lining up.

Defence:
Three talls is fine, as long as they are versatile. But I want to upgrade both Gardner and Cordy. They are both serviceable, but I am not convinced they allow Keath to shine and neither are anything more than ok negating defenders. Ideally we get someone who can anchor our defence, take the heat of the main forward and be a real aerial presence. Our negating small is one of Wood or Duryea, they can't both play unless one of those talls drop out. Daniel and Williams are your rebounding guys. Crozier the interceptor. Thats 7. So I just want to upgrade the talls. I did think our defence was pretty good the second half of the season and worked pretty well in theory, but think some of the personnel are suspect and we went overboard with the amount of defenders we picked. I would be very ok with dropping a tall for a general defender type, but the current setup worked pretty well in the second half of the year.

Ruck. English by himself is not it. I much prefer the idea of him playing a Westhoff type role, where he is a supporting player wherever he needs to be, using his mix of attributes and aerial ability to help shore up our defence, provide an attacking option of help link up through the middle. I want a main ruck who is constructive with his hitouts, decent around the ground (doesn't have to be amazing) and at least breaks even in the air.

Mids stay largely the same, Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley and Smith is a good main group. Hunter is good on the wing. Wouldn't mind some more pace through there but I'm gonna put that in the forward grouping.

Our forwardline is terrible. Too many types that don't create and aren't natural forwards. Josh Bruce bafflingly was afforded an entire season in which he provided zero output. I'd be aiming for a forward setup that has Naughton as its centre piece, a mobile second tall (JUH I guess), a good finishing reliable smart forward (Wallis) and then a typical pacy small forward who is a good crumber and has good goal sense in congestion. The remaining forwards need to be able to push up the ground and help link up and bring the ball in while also being goal threats. At least one probably also plays on a wing (I probably give this role to JJ, and would be very open to swapping he and Daniel around as we see fit throughout the season), and another should be able to push up the ground as another mid type (Lipinski currently but his spot is very up for grabs). Vandermeer is one, two spots remain. Ideally this forwardline now changes our lineup to have pace and pressure in the forward half of the ground and really excel with quick ball movement.

So we are looking at something like:
Defence:
FB: Duryea/Wood (Lockdown), Anchor tall/Gardner, Third tall/general defender/Cordy/Wood/Crozier
HB: Daniel/JJ (Main rebounder), Keath, Williams (General defender/rebound)
+One on bench

Mids
Centre: Hunter (Main wingman), Bont, .../JJ (High forward)
Ruck: ??? (Main Ruck), Liberatore, Macrae
+Smith and Dunkley on the bench

Forwards
HF: Vandermeer (High forward with attacking intent), JUH? (Mobile tall), ??? (forward mid type with goal sense)
FF: Wallis (Pure forward who finishes), Naughton (Main threat and target), ??? (Crumbing type)
+English (playing wherever we feel he is needed)

-------------------------------------

Written out that is something like (Bolded need upgrading if possible, underlined means they are just keeping the spot warm and i really want us to recruit someone else there)
FB: Duryea, Gardner, Wood
HB: Daniel, Keath, Williams
C: Hunter, Bontempelli, R. Smith
HF: Vandermeer, JUH, JJ
FF: Wallis, Naughton, Weightman
R: Sweet, Macrae, Dunkley

I: Crozier (Defence), B. Smith, Liberatore, English

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2020, 01:29 PM
What will be our best starting lineup for Round 1 2021?
We have to start somewhere....

B: Williams Hamling Gardner
HB: JJ Keath Crozier
C: Hunter B Smith Macrae
HF: Daniel Naughton Dunkley
F: Jamarra English West
Foll: Goldstein Bontempelli Liberatore
Int: Vander Weightman Wood Schache

Just remembered Toby won't be around in Round 1 and I forgot the Flying Dutchman!

bornadog
06-10-2020, 01:30 PM
Soupaman Big Risk with Sweet as he hasn't even played one game yet.

soupman
06-10-2020, 01:37 PM

Yeah hence the underline designating a placeholder. I want to play two rucks with English as the second. I'm not even convinced Sweet is on the list next year, and definitely don't want him to be our starting ruck. I also don't want to play Weightman round one based on what I've seen, nor Roarke Smith, but I've picked the side based on the types i want to see play, regardless of whether we have that personnel yet.

bornadog
06-10-2020, 01:38 PM
Yeah hence the underline designating a placeholder. I want to play two rucks with English as the second. I'm not even convinced Sweet is on the list next year, and definitely don't want him to be our starting ruck. I also don't want to play Weightman round one based on what I've seen, nor Roarke Smith.

Argh, fair enough, I am with you.

I should have read the post properly :o

jazzadogs
06-10-2020, 01:39 PM
Western Bulldogs
B: Williams, Keath, Gardner
HB: Daniel, Naughton, Crozier
C: Hunter, Dunkley, Smith
HF: JJ, Schache, Vandermeer
F: West, Bruce, Wallis
Foll: English, Bontempelli, Liberatore
Int: 2nd Ruck, Wood, Macrae, Weightman

Footscray
B: Duryea, Le Young, ?Khamis?
HB: La Young, Cordy, Butler
C Hayes, Lipinski, ..........
HF Dale, ........., Greene
F Cavarra, Jamarra, Garcia
R Sweet, Jong, ..........
Int ...........

Injured: Mclean
Assumed gone: Lloyd, Gowers, Porter, Roarke, Trengove, Suckling, Dickson

I have gone for a mix of what I hope and what I expect....

I have no doubt that Gardner will blitz the track in pre-season and get a go in round one.

I am strongly in the Naughton to defence camp. I think our side looks better with Schache up forward and Naughton defending, but I understand the desire to keep him forward. I think he will be elite wherever he plays.

I want to see Dunkley back in the midfield, a position where he was chosen as one of the best 40 players in the league last year. Let's stop messing around with him, and let him play his best football.

I am big on Rhylee West, and I want to see him play all 22 games next year (barring injury).

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2020, 01:45 PM
Western Bulldogs
B: Williams, Keath, Gardner
HB: Daniel, Naughton, Crozier
C: Hunter, Dunkley, Smith
HF: JJ, Schache, Vandermeer
F: West, Bruce, Wallis
Foll: English, Bontempelli, Liberatore
Int: 2nd Ruck, Wood, Macrae, Weightman

Footscray
B: Duryea, Le Young, ?Khamis?
HB: La Young, Cordy, Butler
C Hayes, Lipinski, ..........
HF Dale, ........., Greene
F Cavarra, Jamarra, Garcia
R Sweet, Jong, ..........
Int ...........

Injured: Mclean
Assumed gone: Lloyd, Gowers, Porter, Roarke, Trengove, Suckling, Dickson

I have gone for a mix of what I hope and what I expect....

I have no doubt that Gardner will blitz the track in pre-season and get a go in round one.

I am strongly in the Naughton to defence camp. I think our side looks better with Schache up forward and Naughton defending, but I understand the desire to keep him forward. I think he will be elite wherever he plays.

I want to see Dunkley back in the midfield, a position where he was chosen as one of the best 40 players in the league last year. Let's stop messing around with him, and let him play his best football.

I am big on Rhylee West, and I want to see him play all 22 games next year (barring injury).

And Richards at Footscray too JD?

soupman
06-10-2020, 01:53 PM

I like Naughton in defence, but he has to stay forward for mine for a few reasons:

Firstly, our defence has been competent without him. I think there is enough there (especially if we recruit a decent tall defender) that it is good enough to stand up in most scenarios. Yes Naughton makes it a really good unit but I think it's a solid enough group without him.

However, our forwardline is bordering on diabolical. Wallis, Naughton and to a lesser extent Vandermeer are the only forwards I think are actually good, and there is no way known i am ok with taking away the only one of them who is tall and a marking threat, can draw defenders and applies as much pressure as anybody there. Naughton is the equal of the King bros imo, and proposing to send either of them back is madness. Our defence is underwhelming, but it is ok. Our forwardline needs Naughton, and if we can bring in two guys who have pace, apply lots of pressure and can crumb i think in combo with Naughton, Vandermeer and Wallis we could have a really pacy constantly dangerous forwardline.

Schache is nowhere near able to provide any of that output, and the only spot i see him taking it either the roaming second ruck role i see English playing or the pure finisher role Wallis plays (and he only plays if either of them are unavailable).

soupman
06-10-2020, 01:55 PM

Agree on both points.

I do think Dunkley will continue to play more forward than the other mids, a victim of his versaility, but we need to stop using him to plug holes so much, which is hopefully a bit easier if we recruit well.

West i also like and probably should be in my side ahead of Roarke Smith with a bit of juggling of roles.

jazzadogs
06-10-2020, 02:28 PM
And Richards at Footscray too JD?

I missed him, but yes I would be happy for him to be at Footscray - realistically he will probably play 1s ahead of Weightman, who will benefit from a full season of VFL/whatever the comp will be called.

GVGjr
06-10-2020, 02:37 PM
Written out that is something like (Bolded need upgrading if possible, underlined means they are just keeping the spot warm and i really want us to recruit someone else there)
FB: Duryea, Gardner, Wood
C: Hunter, Bontempelli, R. Smith
HF: Vandermeer, JUH, JJ
FF: Wallis, Naughton, Weightman
R: Sweet, Macrae, Dunkley

I: Crozier (Defence), B. Smith, Liberatore, English

R.Smith on a wing and B.Smith on the bench can't be right can it Soup?

jazzadogs
06-10-2020, 02:39 PM

I'd imagine that's an acknowledgement that we need a proper winger, and that Bazlenka is part of the centre-bounce mid rotation.

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Bailey Smith probably started most games this year on the bench and was the first midfield rotation, so maybe Soup just has an eye for detail?

soupman
06-10-2020, 02:43 PM
I'd imagine that's an acknowledgement that we need a proper winger, and that Bazlenka is part of the centre-bounce mid rotation.

Yeah this is it. It's meant to represent that role being filled by a running link player more than just chucking a starting mid there AA team style. Bench means nothing in team lineups now, if it looked good putting a 7th player in each section I'd just do that.

Danjul
06-10-2020, 03:02 PM

And in a season like this that fact is an absolute disgrace.

There have been many opportunities for everyone to see exactly what he is capable of. Maybe one of the games where Bruce had 5 or less disposals. Maybe one of the games where the team selected failed dismally, if that’s a reasonable description of a 7 goal loss.

So many others can have disastrous games and remain certainties for the next week, Remember Gardner went from VFL into the main team, played poorly and was selected the next week.

bornadog
06-10-2020, 03:06 PM
And in a season like this that fact is an absolute disgrace.

There have been many opportunities for everyone to see exactly what he is capable of. Maybe one of the games where Bruce had 5 or less disposals. Maybe one of the games where the team selected failed dismally, if that’s a reasonable description of a 7 goal loss.

So many others can have disastrous games and remain certainties for the next week, Remember Gardner went from VFL into the main team, played poorly and was selected the next week.

Let's just move forward

Danjul
06-10-2020, 03:31 PM
Let's just move forward
Unfortunately we are still at risk of moving backwards!

We lost Saturday’s game because of ruck mismanagement. Pure and simple.

And most of the people here saw it coming. Because someone Has displayed a genuine talent for it for too long.

To dismiss that failure as another of the ‘nearly won’ results will not get us anywhere.

We all saw the St Kilda rucks allow the receivers an easy run, so that the more talented team lost.

bornadog
06-10-2020, 03:53 PM
Unfortunately we are still at risk of moving backwards!

We lost Saturday’s game because of ruck mismanagement. Pure and simple.

And most of the people here saw it coming. Because someone Has displayed a genuine talent for it for too long.

To dismiss that failure as another of the ‘nearly won’ results will not get us anywhere.

We all saw the St Kilda rucks allow the receivers an easy run, so that the more talented team lost.

We didn't lose just because of the ruck. That maybe one thing but there are also many other issues

Danjul
06-10-2020, 06:22 PM
We didn't lose just because of the ruck. That maybe one thing but there are also many other issues
True, there’s about 5 , and like the others there’s no sign that it has registered correctly.

GVGjr
06-10-2020, 07:28 PM
With just a couple of assumptions

Backs: Williams - Naughton - Gardner
HBacks: Crozier - Keath - Daniel
Centre: B.Smith - Macrae - Hunter
HForw: Garcia - Bruce - Dunkley
Forw: Wallis - Schache - Vandermeer
Ruck: English - Bontempelli - Liberatore
Int: Cordy - Wood - Johannisen - Duryea
Emerg: Sweet (who else) R.Smith Richards Lipinski

DOG GOD
06-10-2020, 07:42 PM

Int: Cordy - Wood - O'Halloran - Duryea

No JJ ?

Thanks I knew I missed some. I will rework it

AutoFill
06-10-2020, 10:36 PM
Backs: Wood - Keith - Cordy
HBacks: Crozier - Young - Daniel
HForw: Vandermeer - Schache - Dunkley
Forw: Wallis - Naughton - English
Ruck: Sweet - Bontempelli - Liberatore
Int: Williams - Weightman - JJ - Duryea
Emerg: West

Danjul
06-10-2020, 10:40 PM

Int: Cordy - Wood - O'Halloran - Duryea

I’m looking forward to this match up between Bruce and Lewis Young.

GVGjr
06-10-2020, 10:59 PM
I’m looking forward to this match up between Bruce and Lewis Young.

Young to the forward line?

Rocket Science
06-10-2020, 11:33 PM
Righto.

Backs: WILLIAMS - NAUGHTON - CROZIER
Half Backs: JOHANNISEN - KEATH - DANIEL
Centre: HUNTER - MACRAE - B.SMITH
Half Forwards: RICHARDS - BRUCE - VANDERMEER
Forwards: GUNSTON - WALLIS - SCHACHE
Onballers: ENGLISH - BONTEMPELLI - LIBERATORE
Interchange: DUNKLEY - DURYEA - JONG - CORDY
Emergencies: R.SMITH - GARDNER - WOOD

In this scenario ...

Naughton's the most effective swingman we've had since Granty, to be deployed forward or back as the situation and Bevo's whims dictate.

That forward line still lacks pace and ground level pressure but short of landing some 22-ready x-factor (bye Ed Richards) will hopefully be more efficient converters.

The English experiment continues as-is because he's a year wiser and there's no chance we alter course now.

Jamarra gets a taste but isn't to be relied upon as a permanent part of the structure for 2021.

Lewis Young now plays for the Hawks.

Danjul
06-10-2020, 11:35 PM
Young to the forward line?
No, I’m assuming Young will be his opponent.

Dry Rot
13-10-2020, 02:00 PM
FWIW I understand that there is an article in the Herald Sun which says that JUH has spent a whole lot of time in the gym, and gone from 84 kg to 94 kg.

Could be right to play Round 1.

azabob
13-10-2020, 02:03 PM
FWIW I understand that there is an article in the Herald Sun which says that JUH has spent a whole lot of time in the gym, and gone from 84 kg to 94 kg.

Could be right to play Round 1.

You are correct. I think Axe Man has posted it.

Rocket Science
13-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Righto.

Forwards: GUNSTON - WALLIS - SCHACHE

In this scenario ...

Naughton's the most effective swingman we've had since Granty, to be deployed forward or back as the situation and Bevo's whims dictate.

That forward line still lacks pace and ground level pressure but short of landing some 22-ready x-factor (bye Ed Richards) will hopefully be more efficient converters.

The English experiment continues as-is because he's a year wiser and there's no chance we alter course now.

Jamarra gets a taste but isn't to be relied upon as a permanent part of the structure for 2021.

Lewis Young now plays for the Hawks.

Okay FINE.

Forwards: UGLE-HAGAN - WALLIS - SCHACHE

Though if Bevo gets his way ...

Half Forwards: RICHARDS - BONTEMPELLI - VANDERMEER
Forwards: WALLIS - BRUCE - SCHACHE
Onballers: ENGLISH - UGLE-HAGAN - LIBERATORE

While Lewis Young remains in witness protection.

hujsh
13-10-2020, 03:35 PM
Okay FINE.

Forwards: UGLE-HAGAN - WALLIS - SCHACHE

Where is Goldstein? I've been promised a Goldstein. Perhaps he can play forward and Ugle-Hagan can ruck 80-20 with English?

Happy Days
13-10-2020, 03:40 PM
Where is Goldstein? I've been promised a Goldstein. Perhaps he can play forward and Ugle-Hagan can ruck 80-20 with English?

Goldstein to the ruck, English to half forward, JUH to make VFL games must watch until at least round 5.

comrade
13-10-2020, 03:41 PM

If this is Bevo's preferred side, there is no way those emergencies are emergencies.

Mantis
14-10-2020, 05:37 PM

Int: Cordy - Wood - Johannisen - Duryea

4 defenders on the bench.... no thanks!

Rocco Jones
14-10-2020, 09:07 PM
B: Williams, Gardner, Woood
HB: Crozier, Keath, Daniel
C: B.Smith, Macrae, Hunter
HF: VDM, Naughton, JJ
F: Wally, Bruce, Dunks
R: English, Bont, Libba
IC: JUH, Duryea, Lipsinki, Jong

- Dunks only FP as part of mid rotation
- Really need a ruck/ruck support

EasternWest
14-10-2020, 10:46 PM

It's Beveridge, so there's two forwards and two wings.

azabob
15-10-2020, 08:15 AM

In all seriousness have you tried putting together a best 22 with the list we have to get the right team balance?

Mantis
15-10-2020, 09:38 AM
In all seriousness have you tried putting together a best 22 with the list we have to get the right team balance?

Given our current list I'd be play guys that maybe are not best 22 on performance or how they're rated on the list, but more suited to the role they need to play.

Agree that our list make-up is a mess and it needs to be addressed now as it will hold us back from making a step forward, but I'm not confident we will pull the right levers... and are off to a bad start.

SquirrelGrip
15-10-2020, 01:36 PM
It's Beveridge, so there's two forwards and two wings.
And a ruck

Danjul
18-10-2020, 10:04 AM
B: Williams, Gardner, Woood
HB: Crozier, Keath, Daniel
C: B.Smith, Macrae, Hunter
HF: VDM, Naughton, JJ
F: Wally, Bruce, Dunks
R: English, Bont, Libba
IC: JUH, Duryea, Lipsinki, Jong

- Dunks only FP as part of mid rotation
- Really need a ruck/ruck support
l’m not sure that Gardner is ready for the role of key ‘lock down’ defender at full back.

Admittedly he has improved enormously and, like everyone else here, I can see him leading the backline in years to come.

His elimination final was sensational, getting more possessions than Bruce, Naughton and Cordy (our other key position talls) combined shows he understands how to adapt to the game plan others are struggling with. By taking more marks than English he has sent a message to opposing coaches that he must be taken seriously.

I can see why you are displaying faith in him and I hope he can reward it in 2021.

EasternWest
18-10-2020, 10:59 AM
l’m not sure that Gardner is ready for the role of key ‘lock down’ defender at full back.

Admittedly he has improved enormously and, like everyone else here, I can see him leading the backline in years to come.

His elimination final was sensational, getting more possessions than Bruce, Naughton and Cordy (our other key position talls) combined shows he understands how to adapt to the game plan others are struggling with. By taking more marks than English he has sent a message to opposing coaches that he must be taken seriously.

I can see why you are displaying faith in him and I hope he can reward it in 2021.

https://i.postimg.cc/7YN0YvMZ/images-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

azabob
18-10-2020, 12:09 PM
His elimination final was sensational, getting more possessions than Bruce, Naughton and Cordy (our other key position talls) combined shows he understands how to adapt to the game plan others are struggling with

So, the Dogs players combined got more possessions combined than st.kilda.

Yet, St.Kilda won.

Danjul can you explain how that happened?

Danjul
18-10-2020, 02:37 PM
So, the Dogs players combined got more possessions combined than st.kilda.

Yet, St.Kilda won.

Danjul can you explain how that happened?

Because

1. We handed them ruck dominance. At the first centre bounce the ball got deep inside St Kilda’s 50 metre zone in 6 seconds. After that the Dogs managed only 8 hitouts. Using Dunkley in the ruck reduced him to 13 possessions (again) for zero hitouts.

English had exactly the same figures as in round two against the Saints. Soundly beaten. Where our guys got the ball their disposals were defensive and under more pressure than their opponents . And who didn’t see it coming?

2. The forward strategy of long bombs and crashing the packs failed dismally. 51(?) inside 50’s resulted in 1 mark for Bruce and 1 mark for Wallis. Naughton had 2 possessions to 3/4 time. Even helpful umpiring couldn’t get us over the line.

On the other hand St Kilda had more kicks which led to more composure and efficiency inside 50.

These 2 are probably enough to cover missing the 1 extra goal we needed. The Saints weren’t that good, just better where it counted most.

Maybe one more. On the backline we allowed Daniel to be restricted too long. And we didn’t get enough height up against King early enough. That allowed him early aerial supremacy for some telling goals.

That contributed to St Kilda being more than 4 goals ahead at 3/4 time when many viewers turned off.

bulldogtragic
12-11-2020, 09:05 PM
As a very early try...

B: Crozier Le Young Wood
HB: Williams Keath JJ
C: Hunter Bontempelli Daniel
HF: Smith Naughton Hannan
F: Wallis Bruce English
R: Martin Treloar Macrae

Int: Dunkley, Vandeermeer, Liberatore, Weightman

Emerg: Schache, Gardner, Dale, Cordy, Richards, Lloyd, Butler, Garcia, JUH, MacPherson/Raak, others per delistings

Bulldog4life
12-11-2020, 09:09 PM
I am liking English in the forward line to start the game.

bulldogtragic
12-11-2020, 09:26 PM
or, BAD's suggestion to move Naughton back:

B: Crozier Naughton Wood
HF: Smith English Hannan
F: Wallis Bruce Schache/JUH

Emerg: Schache, Gardner, Dale, Cordy, Richards, Lloyd, Butler, Garcia, JUH, MacPherson/Raak, others per delistings

SquirrelGrip
12-11-2020, 09:37 PM
As a very early try...

B: Crozier Le Young Wood
HF: Smith Naughton Hannan
F: Wallis Bruce English

Pretty good - I’d just swap Martin with Dunkley.

Eastdog
12-11-2020, 09:40 PM
Libba on the interchange. I would definitely have Libba in there. Great season.

Bullies
12-11-2020, 10:01 PM
With the depth of mid fielders we could have Bont playing CHF.

Not to many defenders will be able to go with him.

soupman
13-11-2020, 10:06 AM
Wood, Gardner/Young, Crozier
Daniel, Keath, Williams
Hunter, Dunkley, JJ
Hannan, Bont, Vandermeer
English, Naughton, Wallis
Martin, Treloar, Macrae

Liberatore, B. Smith, JUH, Richards

I think it could be a better side (no Bruce helps).

Forwardline is helped by Naughton and Brucr not wanting to be in the same spot, the other targets ( English, Bont, Wallis) should compliment Naughton instead of compete with him. All of them aside from Wallis cover ground well and can get involved outside 50 which is positive, although its still largely unproven and we haven't seen if most of them are sustainable forwards at AFL level for a whole season yet. Emphasis on Dunkley and Smith rotating through the forwardline as the other mids are not good there. Thinking Bont plays a bit of a Dusty role where he pushes into the midfield as the situation dictates, so by no means is he a pure forward.

Midfield is stacked, we have 7 AAish quality mids in the side which is crazy. Really hoping Martin is able to make a meaningful contribution. I suspect he won't but if he does thats pretty scary. Not many defensive runners in there so really relying on the quality to overwhelm opposition if they start to get ontop.

Backline predictably weak with talls. I don't think we can play more than 3 of Wood, Gardner, Keath, Young, Cordy, Duryea as they dont really provide drive. Crozier is close to that group on late 2020 form. Really need Gardner or Young to take a big step forward in their development here.

I am in no way prepared to move Naughton down back. He is probably the only one of our forwards that i consider a proper matchwinner (Bont is obviously but he is a forward mid). Also i fear once we start flicking him from end to end it diminishes his chances of being that incredible key forward we hope he can be greatly. Also I'd rather play Gardner/Young down back than Bruce forward.

Would like some more pace in the mix, especially forward. Richards is in for that reason. Garcia could be a chance.

I think its a good enough side. Alot will depend on our grit and ability to combat good sides getting ontop, instead of folding as we have done frequently in the past. Also we need to be able to capitalise on our ascendancy more, meaning our forwardline has to be more effective. Bont needs to kick straight, atm i expect him to kick 20.40 next year. If he can get that to atleast 30.30 that'd be very helpful.

Axe Man
13-11-2020, 10:52 AM
Caleb Daniel was AA and absolutely elite as a defender this season, there he stays.

bornadog
13-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Daniel, Keath, Williams
Hunter, Dunkley, JJ
Hannan, Bont, Vandermeer
Martin, Treloar, Macrae

I think it could be a better side (no Bruce helps).

Key full back is still our biggest issue which the club were hoping to snare someone but, really who was available.

I know I started the thread to move Naughton back, but I would be reluctant to do it as a star Forward is worth ten times more than a star fullback.

It is going to be interesting what we do with the role.

hujsh
13-11-2020, 11:31 AM
Key full back is still our biggest issue which the club were hoping to snare someone but, really who was available.

I know I started the thread to move Naughton back, but I would be reluctant to do it as a star Forward is worth ten times more than a star fullback.

It is going to be interesting what we do with the role.

Allir would have been a nice pickup.

bornadog
13-11-2020, 11:33 AM
Allir would have been a nice pickup.

Yeah, probably. Personally I am not sold on him. He looks very slow.

Axe Man
13-11-2020, 11:34 AM
Yeah, probably. Personally I am not sold on him. He looks very slow.

I think you have the wrong bloke, very quick and athletic for his size.

1eyedog
13-11-2020, 11:36 AM
I think you have the wrong bloke, very quick and athletic for his size.

Yeah he would suit us really well. Can be a bit panicky but his other attributes more than make up for it.

Happy Days
13-11-2020, 11:37 AM
Allir is definitely not slow, but he’s a woeful kick and has poor hands overhead. Not too upset we didn’t ask the question.

bornadog
13-11-2020, 11:38 AM
Allir is definitely not slow, but he’s a woeful kick and has poor hands overhead. Not too upset we didn’t ask the question.

The last game I saw him he looked slow to me, but I will take others word on it.

Ozza
13-11-2020, 12:31 PM
Its a hard job picking a side!

If Jammarra is fit...he'll be playing round 1.

comrade
13-11-2020, 12:36 PM
Its a hard job picking a side!

If Jammarra is fit...he'll be playing round 1.

How big will the hype be for a round 1 clash against the Pies.

The midfield of doom rolling out, with Treloar out for revenge against his old side.

Jamarra debuting.

Bring it on.

Axe Man
13-11-2020, 12:39 PM

The midfield of doom rolling out, with Treloar out for revenge against his old side.

Jamarra debuting.

Bring it on.

And big Stef preventing another Grundy demolition job on English.

Ozza
13-11-2020, 02:04 PM

Jamarra debuting.

Bring it on.

At the MCG....would be huge.

Bulldog4life
13-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Yep looking forward to playing the Colliwobbles and the Bummers next year. We have a vested interest.

ledge
13-11-2020, 07:11 PM
I want to see Vandemeer in full flight down the wing, receiving off a Libba Handball to Treloar and hitting Bont ir Jamarra on the chest in Gary Ablett senior style above the pack.

bulldogtragic
13-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Say you are Martin or English and you are in the centre circle. We force a turnover in our defence and kick it to you, said ruckman. Bont is streaming passed on one side, Treloar streaming passed on the other side, both screaming for the handball.

Pop quiz hotshot, what do you do?

comrade
13-11-2020, 08:56 PM
The skipper.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Say you are Martin or English and you are in the centre circle. We force a turnover in our defence and kick it to you, said ruckman. Bont is streaming passed on one side, Treloar streaming passed on the other side, both screaming for the handball.

Bont would get it and then probably give it to the runner in Treloar if there's space.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-11-2020, 10:18 PM
Round 1 Team
B: Wood, Bruce, Crozier
C: Hunter, Dunkley, Treloar
HF: Hannan, Naughton, Vandermeer
F; West, English, Wallis
Foll: Martin, Bont, Libba
In: JJ, Smith, JUH, Young

I recon we should give Bruce a go at FBack., controversial I know but we have some serious power forward of centre and he didn’t really add much this year. English as a permanent forward just like Tom Boyd is the go.

whythelongface
13-11-2020, 10:20 PM

I would panic and have no idea what to do and handball straight to the opposition.

comrade
13-11-2020, 10:21 PM
Round 1 Team
B: Wood, Bruce, Crozier
HF: Hannan, Naughton, Vandermeer
F; West, English, Wallis
Foll: Martin, Bont, Libba
In: JJ, Smith, JUH, Young

I recon we should give Bruce a go at FBack., controversial I know but we have some serious power forward of centre and he didn’t really add much this year. English as a permanent forward just like Tom Boyd is the go.

Geez, AA mid Jacko Macrae a bit stiff ;)

Bumper Bulldogs
13-11-2020, 10:34 PM
Geez, AA mid Jacko Macrae a bit stiff ;)

Yep he didn’t come back in good condition ��

No really I put him ahead of JUH. I like Young but he is fighting out a spot with Juicy at FBack.

GVGjr
13-11-2020, 10:34 PM
The one thing that I can see being a bit of a challenge for us is none of our midfielders are really noted as goal kickers. Given we will be rotating 6 through the midfield won't necessarily get a lot of goals from them

Bumper Bulldogs
13-11-2020, 10:48 PM
The one thing that I can see being a bit of a challenge for us is none of our midfielders are really noted as goal kickers. Given we will be rotating 6 through the midfield won't necessarily get a lot of goals from them

Bont, Dunkley, Smith and Treloar these are the 4

Hunter gets shots but no reliable. We don’t need them clogging up the F50 and with speed on the outside our boys will get plenty of looks.

MrMahatma
13-11-2020, 11:06 PM

Turn and slot the goal from down town. T Boyd style.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-11-2020, 11:31 PM
Turn and slot the goal from down town. T Boyd style.

Go to the Captain

Go_Dogs
14-11-2020, 09:32 AM
B: Crozier, Young, Daniel
HB: Williams, Keath, JJ
C: Smith, Dunkley, Hunter
HF: Bont, Naughton, Libba
F: Wallis, English, Hannan
R: Martin, Macrae, Treloar
I/C: JUH, Vandermeer, Richards, Jong

Hard side to pick as it always is. We’ve got to create opportunity for our wealth of midfielders which means some spend time forward, back and wing.

comrade
14-11-2020, 12:05 PM
B: Williams Young Crozier
HB: Daniel Keath JJ
C: Hunter Dunkley Treloar
HF: Hannan Naughton Bont
F: Wallis Bruce Vandermeer
R: Martin Macrae Smith
INT: JUH English Wood Libba

Emerg: West, Gardner, Weightman, Richards, Cordy, Jong

Note: I've bolded the positions and players that I think are the biggest question marks. If the list is fit and the above mid/forward set up functions, it's going to be a dog fight for players like Schache, Lloyd, Jong, Dale & Lipinski to get game time. Throw Richards and West in as other promising types that may spend a lot of time at Footscray.

Rocco Jones
14-11-2020, 12:16 PM
B: Wood Naughton Crozier
HB: Daniel Keath Williams
C: Hunter Macrae Treloar
HF: Libba English Bont
F: Wallis Bruce Hannan
R: Martin Dunks Baz
I/C: JUH VDM JJ Duryea

The Doctor
14-11-2020, 01:14 PM
My Team

B: Wood, Young, Crozier

HB: Hunter, Keath, Daniel

C: Smith, Liberatore, Treloar

HF: Hannan, Bontempelli, JJ

F: English, Naughton, Wallis

R: Martin, Dunkley, Macrae

Int: Williams, Schache, Vandermeer, Jong

EMG: Weightman, Cordy, Richards

A few explanations

* JJ forward to give us something different and a bit of ground level spark.

* Hunter from half back in a Matty Boyd style role with license to run thru midfield

* Bruce misses out until there is evidence he is fit, focussed and in form. Does he want to be a lad or a premiership player? I also think he works on being a key defender.

* Lewis Young gets first crack ahead of Cordy & Gardiner

* Jamarra, not yet, missing this year means he needs to spend time in the VFL developing.

* Schache ahead of Bruce. I get the criticisms but I think he is a smart forward & works better with Naughton

* I want Dunks in the starting midfield. He is a beast & an excellent defensive midfielder.

* Jong is in. I'd like to see him as our pressure forward who can also take a mark. I think he has good forward instincts.

The team is versatile enough to switch around if some of these things don't work

azabob
14-11-2020, 02:14 PM
Wonder why are team is hard to pick when frankly we are middle of the road?

mjp
14-11-2020, 03:30 PM
My Team

B: Wood, Young, Crozier

HB: Hunter, Keath, Daniel

C: Smith, Liberatore, Treloar

HF: Hannan, Bontempelli, JJ

F: English, Naughton, Wallis

R: Martin, Dunkley, Macrae

Int: Williams, Schache, Vandermeer, Jong

EMG: Weightman, Cordy, Richards

Duryea?

Happy Days
14-11-2020, 05:28 PM

I’m a stupid idiot but I fully expect a big improvement next year. Our best player is 26, our full forward is 21, we have 7 of the best 20 mids in it, and our back 6 improved dramatically over the last month of 2020. Drop Bruce and we are on I reckon.

SquirrelGrip
14-11-2020, 05:39 PM
I’m a stupid idiot but I fully expect a big improvement next year. Our best player is 26, our full forward is 21, we have 7 of the best 20 mids in it, and our back 6 improved dramatically over the last month of 2020. Drop Bruce and we are on I reckon.

And imagine if Bruce can turn it around on top of all that!?

jazzadogs
14-11-2020, 07:32 PM

I think that's part of the reason. We have a real glut of players in the 15-30 range who are not discernibly better or worse than one another, and we also have a lot of players with similar skillsets who like to play in the same position - so it's fitting square pegs into round holes to fill out the side.

CarnTheScray
14-11-2020, 07:36 PM
B: Wood, Keath, Daniel
HB: Crozier, Naughton, Williams
HF: Bont, Bruce, Hannan
FF: JUH, English, Wallis

R: Martin, Macrae, Smith

I/C: Libba, JJ, Vandermeer, Duryea,

E: Lipinski, West, Jong, Cordy, Schache, Weightman.

^
Would win it all next year with that line-up

AshMac
14-11-2020, 08:27 PM
Daniel, Keath, Williams
Hunter, Dunkley, JJ
Hannan, Bont, Vandermeer
Martin, Treloar, Macrae

Dang, I reckon this is about bang on looking at our team on paper

Doc26
14-11-2020, 09:41 PM
B: Wood, Keath, Daniel
HB: Crozier, Naughton, Williams
HF: Bont, Bruce, Hannan
FF: JUH, English, Wallis

R: Martin, Macrae, Smith

I/C: Libba, JJ, Vandermeer, Duryea,

E: Lipinski, West, Jong, Cordy, Schache, Weightman.

^
Would win it all next year with that line-up

I quite like where this team make-up is heading with Naughton back.

Probably is still a bit too tall and heavy in the forward half. Switching Vandermeer though for Bruce/Schache balances it up, which you have on your I/C, with Marcus at CHF.

Whether JUH is ready to slot straight in only time will tell. Hopefully his talent alone, not unlike what the Bont showed in his early days, might be enough for the MC. Will be interesting to see where he’s at over the pre-season.

Hannan is still aspirational at this time of year. Hopefully he can command the spot. We’ve got a few options fighting for half forward in Lipinski, Jong, and even Dale if he can rise above drop offs and inconsistencies.

Richards is the other missing piece who I’d like to see press his case after an average 2020, possibly taking the Duryea spot on the IC, or for Wood’s. I prefer to see him behind the ball.

bulldogtragic
16-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Looking at speed in the forwardline:

JUH: 2.89 seconds, 20m sprint at combine (and he loves to tackle hard) (right now he's a quick small forward pocket, just 15cm taller)
Vandermeer: 3.02 seconds, 20m sprint at combine
B. Smith: Can't find a number, but he'd be around 3.00 seconds also (loves to tackle hard)
Weightman: 3.01 seconds, 20m sprint at combine

If these guys were in the forwardline together at a given time, it loses a one paced risk or being too top heavy and slow risk. Say with Naughton/Bruce/Schache, English, Wallis/Weightman/Hannan, Bonts and resting mids etc, it feels a little more dynamic.

Being fed the footy by Bonts, Treloar, Macrae, Dunkley, Libba, Hunter etc.

Hopefully Bevo and our forwardline coach can put a plan in place to take full advantage.

Bulldog4life
16-11-2020, 12:09 PM
Everyone get on. We are 14/1 for the 2021 premiership. I have a good feeling. I just had a nibble.

mjp
16-11-2020, 12:13 PM
Just looking at the teams, do we have any evidence that Treloar can be effective playing outside?

I'm not sure he is a winger...According to a lot of people we are about to find out....

Happy Days
16-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Just looking at the teams, do we have any evidence that Treloar can be effective playing outside?

I'm not sure he is a winger...According to a lot of people we are about to find out....

Is there a reason he couldn't be? He has all the tools and he's not been played there only due to playing a "better" position with the Pies.

He actually reminds me a lot of Merrett in that his skill set would seem to be suited to an outside role, but he's played closer to the coalface because he can and it's hard as hell to find that type of player usually.

dog town
16-11-2020, 02:15 PM
Is there a reason he couldn't be? He has all the tools and he's not been played there only due to playing a "better" position with the Pies.

He actually reminds me a lot of Merrett in that his skill set would seem to be suited to an outside role, but he's played closer to the coalface because he can and it's hard as hell to find that type of player usually. I watched a few of his games this week and his running patterns are more suited to a genuine midfield or even half back role. While he is an explosive player I wouldn’t say he is a great spreader like say a Hunter. More effective in short bursts around the ball.

azabob
16-11-2020, 09:12 PM
I watched a few of his games this week and his running patterns are more suited to a genuine midfield or even half back role. While he is an explosive player I wouldn’t say he is a great spreader like say a Hunter. More effective in short bursts around the ball.

DT, with our midfield group how would you set up?

Ghost Dog
16-11-2020, 11:03 PM
Josh Dunkley, Ruck of course.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-11-2020, 10:04 AM
I watched a few of his games this week and his running patterns are more suited to a genuine midfield or even half back role. While he is an explosive player I wouldn’t say he is a great spreader like say a Hunter. More effective in short bursts around the ball.

Agree with this.

His greatest strength is getting on the move from stoppages and bursting away from congestion.

Playing on a wing would take away his main strength.

Mofra
17-11-2020, 10:11 AM
Agree with this.

His greatest strength is getting on the move from stoppages and bursting away from congestion.

Playing on a wing would take away his main strength.
I expect we set up differently at stoppages this year - one of Bailey Smith or AT will be at every stoppage to force opposition teams to sit off a midfielder to stop our "burst" player from getting the ball forward of the congestion. That leaves a rotation of a pure inside type (Dunkley/Libba) and a genuine inside/outside player who can win it or receive the handball (Bont/Macrae).

We will surely rest a midfield at high forward too so if there is congestion they push up to the stoppage to increase our ball-winning power.

Ozza
17-11-2020, 11:27 AM
Treloar will be inside mid and high half forward. I don't see him spending much time on a wing.

Ozza
17-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Looking at speed in the forwardline:

JUH: 2.89 seconds, 20m sprint at combine (and he loves to tackle hard) (right now he's a quick small forward pocket, just 15cm taller)
Vandermeer: 3.02 seconds, 20m sprint at combine
B. Smith: Can't find a number, but he'd be around 3.00 seconds also (loves to tackle hard)
Weightman: 3.01 seconds, 20m sprint at combine

If these guys were in the forwardline together at a given time, it loses a one paced risk or being too top heavy and slow risk. Say with Naughton/Bruce/Schache, English, Wallis/Weightman/Hannan, Bonts and resting mids etc, it feels a little more dynamic.

Being fed the footy by Bonts, Treloar, Macrae, Dunkley, Libba, Hunter etc.

Hopefully Bevo and our forwardline coach can put a plan in place to take full advantage.

And did a yo-yo test midfielders would be rapt with.

bulldogtragic
17-11-2020, 11:30 AM
And did a yo-yo test midfielders would be rapt with.

JUH, you show off! :)

bornadog
17-11-2020, 12:18 PM
Treloar will be inside mid and high half forward. I don't see him spending much time on a wing.

Why do you say he will be an inside mid? He has the burst to be an outside mid.

The Adelaide Connection
18-11-2020, 02:21 AM
I hope we get Collingwood first up. You would expect a fair old slide from the Pies and reversing the deflation of 2020's round 1 will be just the tonic to get us up and about, circa 2015.

I think Martin and English play if it's the Pies. The trauma of rucking alone against Grundy likely hasn't gone away and getting Tim off to a positive start in 2021 is paramount.

mjp
19-11-2020, 12:37 AM
...we have 7 of the best 20 mids in it...

There are 18 teams.

Are you saying of the top 20 mids in the comp we have 35%?

Aside from any ‘champion team beats a team of champions’ type cliches, this is a thread of its own and I would love to read about your top 20 and see where you have ours ranked.

Of the top 20 in the comp, I think we *might* have 3...I’m not sure about 7.

jeemak
19-11-2020, 01:27 AM
Our midfield is excellent and full of players who perform well individually and as a team - when the game is on their terms. But as soon as the game gets levelled or goes against them they can still be individually good players but sometimes can't gel properly and take the team with them in stopping the rot and turning the game around again. Mind you, that's actually a difficult thing to do however, if our midfield wants to be ranked in the top couple within the league then that's exactly what it needs to do.

Mofra has put up a good summation of how our midfielders will blend, to add to that I reckon a lot of the mucking around to fit everyone in will revolve around balancing one wing being added more heavily to the centre and forward rotations. I look at VDM and think I'd love him to play centre, forward and back equally because of his dash, though unfortunately due to cattle he'll have to rotate through the remaining forward five. The good thing is he could become an excellent finisher for us, a genuine running goal kicker......and eventually one of the most valuable players in the team.

Happy Days
19-11-2020, 10:30 AM
There are 18 teams.

Are you saying of the top 20 mids in the comp we have 35%?

Aside from any ‘champion team beats a team of champions’ type cliches, this is a thread of its own and I would love to read about your top 20 and see where you have ours ranked.

Of the top 20 in the comp, I think we *might* have 3...I’m not sure about 7.

Okay this might have been hyper bowl but since you asked and I do not want to do any work:

Tier A:
Martin (if he counts)
Bont
Fyfe
Neale
Danger

Tier B
Cripps
Macrae
Steele
Boak
Oliver

Tier C
J. Kelly
Adams
Treloar
Parker
Duncan

Tier D
Mitchell
Lyons
Zorko
Merrett
T. Kelly

So maybe three is right, but our guys are still really good, plus it's not unreasonable to hope Smith to feature somewhere in there as soon as this year, and Dunkley's 2019 form was around Tier C (I think it was analogous if not quite as good as Steele's 2020).

Wingmen are their own thing, so I have Hunter behind Gaff (maybe) and just ahead of Menegola and McLuggage.

Basically it's not technically correct but it's not the most unreasonable thing I've ever said on here either.

SquirrelGrip
19-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Can we merge this with https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?20352-Round-1-Team-2021&highlight=round+2021? Not sure why the second one was started.

bornadog
23-11-2020, 01:18 PM
AFL.com.au team

B: Easton Wood, Zaine Cordy, Hayden Crozier
HB: Jason Johannisen, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
C: Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
HF: Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Bruce, Josh Dunkley
F: Mitch Hannan, Aaron Naughton, Mitch Wallis
Foll: Stefan Martin, Adam Treloar, Bailey Smith

I/C: Tim English, Bailey Williams, Ed Richards, Patrick Lipinski

EMERG: Laitham Vandermeer, Bailey Dale, Cody Weightman, Ryan Gardner

bulldogtragic
25-11-2020, 09:18 PM
So I've said a few times how in the Hawthorn 3-Peat, they changed their midfield after every goal to change things up and keep opponents guessing. This is a how we could match up over the course of 6 goals from both sides, say in a single quarter, like the 3-Peat gameplan:

1:

HB: Williams Keath Daniel
C: Hunter Macrae JJ
HF: Treloar Naughton Dunkley
F: B. Smith Bruce Weightman
R: Martin Libba Bonts

2:

C: Hunter Dunkley JJ
HF: Bonts Naughton Macrae
F: B. Smith Bruce Weightman
R: Martin Libba Treloar

3:

C: Hunter Treloar JJ
HF: Treloar Naughton Dunkley
F: Wallis Bruce Weightman
R: English Macrae B. Smith
I: Libba

4:

C: Hunter Libba JJ
HF: Treloar Naughton Dale
F: Bonts Bruce Wallis
R: English B. Smith Dunkley
I: Macrae

5:

C: Hunter Bonts B. Smith
HF: Macrae Naughton Dunkley
F: Weightman English Wallis
R: Martin Libba Treloar
I: JJ

6:

C: Treloar B. Smith JJ
HF: Macrae Naughton Weightman
F: Dale Bruce Wallis
R: Martin Bonts Dunkley
I: Hunter, Libba, English

Apart from planned 'unpredictability' to make the opposition guess what's going to happen. I see that it makes it kind of hard to manage lockdown roles on a set player, unless they're going to run with a player of ours no matter where they line up from goal to goal. If say Bonts stays a few out with the best tagger/lockdown player, does that then allow Treloar, Macrae, Smith, Dunkley, Libba more room and a little more freedom. Or does the opposition best lockdown always attend the centre square and leave say Bonts, Smith & Dunkley to hit the scoreboard and offer us something else up forward?

Also, if we have a squad of midfielders in the 22 that are on a faster rotation gameplan, then that's us. Bonts spends some time out, Treloar spends some time out and DUNKLEY can spend some time out. None should sook. By batting deep and rotating always, opportunities will present in the midfield, on wings and up forward to impact the game. With two rucks, they also shouldn't be rucking. It's not about how many midfield minutes. They'll all get good minutes. It's about exploiting and stretching the opposition down to breaking points. I doubt many teams can cover such rotations of gun players who can also do well in other areas of the ground. If all the guys buy in, that it's not about one 'bull' dragging the 21 others along, then we should be able to generate frequent mismatches with the goal of exploiting. If we can and if we do, I'm looking forward to us doing it.

jeemak
28-11-2020, 02:19 AM
I'd add another variable into the mix, with Daniel pressing up to the wing and half forward for one to two rotations. It changes the midfield and half forward mix, brings some creativity into the blend and also frees him up if he's being sat on or dragged back/ isolated like he was at times this year.

Teams will try and replicate what Geary did to him, and that's cool. We need to counter that by unsettling those plans with a more diverse overall strategy that already includes Caleb playing in different positions on the ground in short bursts - rather than it being a reactive tactical change.

dog town
28-11-2020, 05:23 AM
I'd add another variable into the mix, with Daniel pressing up to the wing and half forward for one to two rotations. It changes the midfield and half forward mix, brings some creativity into the blend and also frees him up if he's being sat on or dragged back/ isolated like he was at times this year.

Teams will try and replicate what Geary did to him, and that's cool. We need to counter that by unsettling those plans with a more diverse overall strategy that already includes Caleb playing in different positions on the ground in short bursts - rather than it being a reactive tactical change. He did look good up around the ball and forward in bursts during the last two rounds and then the finals. Perhaps that’s just because we needed someone lower to the ground with a bit more agility and creativity but you could certainly tell when he was around the ball.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2020, 10:20 AM

Teams will try and replicate what Geary did to him, and that's cool. We need to counter that by unsettling those plans with a more diverse overall strategy that already includes Caleb playing in different positions on the ground in short bursts - rather than it being a reactive tactical change.

Even better. Rotate some genuine leg speed with him. Treloar or Smith occasionally attacking towards the centre. Hawks used Burgoyne as the good ball user who could go into the centre, as you say with Caleb. We could rotate Caleb in, put Treloar to the back flank and show Smith in the forward pocket with his brute force, speed and X factor. All without a gun midfield. Bevo better have a great plan with what he now has.

jeemak
28-11-2020, 02:17 PM
Even better. Rotate some genuine leg speed with him. Treloar or Smith occasionally attacking towards the centre. Hawks used Burgoyne as the good ball user who could go into the centre, as you say with Caleb. We could rotate Caleb in, put Treloar to the back flank and show Smith in the forward pocket with his brute force, speed and X factor. All without a gun midfield. Bevo better have a great plan with what he now has.

Burgoyne was/ is a freak. I still remember the Hawks coast to coast goal in the semi final that saw him just tap the ball seventy five metres from inside the centre square near the circle to the goal square. He's actually a player type we don't have, some good footy by both sides played that night. Underrated game.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2020, 02:28 PM
Burgoyne was/ is a freak. I still remember the Hawks coast to coast goal in the semi final that saw him just tap the ball seventy five metres from inside the centre square near the circle to the goal square. He's actually a player type we don't have, some good footy by both sides played that night. Underrated game.

Agree. The Prelim comeback in the Michael Jordan of the final series. But the comeback when Bruest missed that easy goal was the Scotty Pippen of the final series comebacks. It won't get the plaudits of the footy public like Jordan, but the folks who watched know how good it was (with or without public plaudits).

jeemak
28-11-2020, 02:32 PM
Agree. The Prelim comeback in the Michael Jordan of the final series. But the comeback when Bruest missed that easy goal was the Scotty Pippen of the final series comebacks. It won't get the plaudits of the footy public like Jordan, but the folks who watched know how good it was (with or without public plaudits).

Yep. We had the perfect opportunity to roll over that night, and coming from four goals down was massive.

bornadog
10-03-2021, 04:48 PM
My Team

B: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Caleb Daniel
HB: Adam Treloar Alex Keath, Duryea
C: Bailey Dale, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
HF: Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton, Vandermeer,
F: Tim English, Josh Bruce, Lachie McNeil
Foll: Stefan Martin, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Mitch Wallis, Josh Dunkley, Pat Lipinski, Rhylee West

Smads57
11-03-2021, 06:40 PM
My Team

Hi BAD, agree with team but have Scott in somewhere for McNeil at this stage of the season

GVGjr
11-03-2021, 08:07 PM
My Team

Where did you lift that off? Clearly you typed Duryea and Vandermeer over other names and didn't add their first names :)

bornadog
12-03-2021, 12:03 AM
Where did you lift that off? Clearly you typed Duryea and Vandermeer over other names and didn't add their first names :)

I took our team that played the weekend and made adjustments