PDA

View Full Version : Giansiracusa named Assistant Coach of the Year

bornadog
21-10-2020, 11:04 AM
Link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/829059/giansiracusa-named-assistant-coach-of-the-year)

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/08/10/10a5da47-232d-4878-9f49-f8b20b4dc7a9/HERO_100820Gia.jpg?width=952&height=592

Daniel Giansiracusa has been named as the AFL Coaches Association Assistant Coach of the Year for 2020.

The award, voted on by the players and coaches, recognised the sizeable impact Giansiracusa made this year, as he admirably performed a number of coaching roles.

Giansiracusa has completed his fifth year of coaching - a pursuit he stepped straight into following a glittering 265-game career for the Western Bulldogs.

He was set to continue his role as Footscray’s VFL head coach in 2020, leading the team that he took to the finals in his first year at the helm in 2019. But with the disruption of the season his role shifted, and he coached the Bulldogs’ match simulation games and worked on opposition analysis.

The Bulldogs used 40 players in season 2020 – the equal most in the competition – with many players earning their spot by performing well in scratch matches under Giansiracusa’s tutelage.

Giansiracusa has coached at the Western Bulldogs since 2015, initially looking after the forward line before moving into the stoppages and set plays portfolio, and later taking charge of his own team in the VFL.

The Assistant Coach of the Year award is based on input from the players and coaches, on a 50-50 basis. Coaches asked to rate the assistant and development coaches at their club, based on their overall performance this year, allocating each a score out of 10 (10 being the highest score).

Each assistant and development coach received an average score out of 10 from their club’s coaching panel, which was matched by an average score out of 10 from their playing group, to determine an overall score.

Geelong’s Nigel Lappin finished in second place, with Carlton’s Luke Power third.

Happy Days
21-10-2020, 11:38 AM
The Bulldogs used 40 players in season 2020 – the equal most in the competition – with many players earning their spot by performing well in scratch matches under Giansiracusa’s tutelage.

The shade at Gardner and Gowers (and Bruce).

1eyedog
21-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Weird.

I mean, good on Gia, but really this is the win I had when i didn't win a game of footy.

But good on him for all the off-field stuff he did.

GVGjr
21-10-2020, 12:41 PM
Perhaps a great indicator that our assistant coaches are refreshing the playing list.

We must rate Gia highly

bornadog
21-10-2020, 12:43 PM
Perhaps a great indicator that our assistant coaches are refreshing the playing list.

We must rate Gia highly

I think he is capable of taking on a senior role. I wonder if he would apply at North?

Happy Days
21-10-2020, 12:44 PM
I think he is capable of taking on a senior role. I wonder if he would apply at North?

If you want a future in coaching you'd be crazy to take the North job.

ledge
21-10-2020, 12:58 PM
If you want a future in coaching you'd be crazy to take the North job.

To be honest sounds like North are very close to where Fitzroy were before they went.
They won’t disappear due to TV rights but they might be forced to move somewhere.

azabob
21-10-2020, 01:01 PM

We must rate Gia highly

What do you mean?

bornadog
21-10-2020, 01:07 PM
To be honest sounds like North are very close to where Fitzroy were before they went.
They won’t disappear due to TV rights but they might be forced to move somewhere.

Do you realise they have no debt, unlike Fitzroy.

SquirrelGrip
21-10-2020, 01:18 PM

Word is Tasmania is pushing hard at the moment. It could be perfect timing for the Apple Isle.

Bulldog Revolution
21-10-2020, 02:02 PM
Well done Gia - hes got a serious and studious about footy nature - and it seems that the players are appreciating his approach to it

Bullies
21-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Good on Gia but does it say about a bit about our other coaches. The players rated the coaches and I think a club would prefer an even spread of votes amongst their assistants. He was Opposition Analyst this year so would have been good preferably to see a line coach get it.

jeemak
21-10-2020, 04:53 PM
Wasn't he supposed to be the VFL coach? Assume he did a lot of the work with the seconds...……….

azabob
21-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Wasn't he supposed to be the VFL coach? Assume he did a lot of the work with the seconds...……….

Well, the article did say that...

jeemak
21-10-2020, 08:03 PM
Well, the article did say that...

Was just responding to Bullies...…...he possibly did forward scouting as a result of not taking a full resource base to the hubs.

Happy Days
21-10-2020, 10:34 PM
Maybe it was a handsomeness contest?

jazzadogs
22-10-2020, 08:07 AM
That voting system seems flawed, to say the least. Comparing votes from Bulldogs players/coaches to votes from each individual teams players/coaches - so if you wanted someone to win you just all give them 10/10, average score of 20/20, can't be beaten.

I had assumed that it was somehow voted on by other coaches across the comp, not that it would have made any more sense that way.

jeemak
23-10-2020, 01:51 AM
That voting system seems flawed, to say the least. Comparing votes from Bulldogs players/coaches to votes from each individual teams players/coaches - so if you wanted someone to win you just all give them 10/10, average score of 20/20, can't be beaten.

I had assumed that it was somehow voted on by other coaches across the comp, not that it would have made any more sense that way.

Would that be your response if Matty Boyd won it for Collingwood?

I tease, I tease...……

Gia was probably the smartest player of the era in which he played for us, and if allowed to play in the midfield his entire career would have been a multiple All Australian. He was small and slow, but so so much better than just about anyone on the park. I agree that he needed supply to make him effective as a forward and that made him less effective in finals than other players of his ilk, but he still held his own. Probably the most underrated Bulldog for mine.

Given how smart he was it's no surprise he's highly rated internally. There's not really another way to rate the assistant coaches than the way they are now. I can't see a club choosing to malign other coaches in favour of one and the players being in on it when it comes to voting.

jazzadogs
24-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Would that be your response if Matty Boyd won it for Collingwood?

I tease, I tease...……

Gia was probably the smartest player of the era in which he played for us, and if allowed to play in the midfield his entire career would have been a multiple All Australian. He was small and slow, but so so much better than just about anyone on the park. I agree that he needed supply to make him effective as a forward and that made him less effective in finals than other players of his ilk, but he still held his own. Probably the most underrated Bulldog for mine.

Given how smart he was it's no surprise he's highly rated internally. There's not really another way to rate the assistant coaches than the way they are now. I can't see a club choosing to malign other coaches in favour of one and the players being in on it when it comes to voting.

Haha nah I like Gia and am happy for him that he won, and happy that he is at the Dogs. He seems to have slotted in well to the broader VFL coaching role, rather than specific line coaching in the seniors. Just questioning the value of the award overall.

Eastdog
24-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Well done Gia.

Twodogs
26-10-2020, 12:13 AM
So according to C7 news tonight Collingwood had to let go one of their assistant coaches Dale Morris a couple of months ago due to the corona virus and clubs having less money in their footy department spend this year! It was mentioned inside a wider story about the AFLPA making funds available to assistant coaches who are struggling for money after being let go by their club. Dale was interviewed and I'm pretty sure they were confusing him with Matthew Boyd but Moz was too nice to point their mistake out.

They finished with telling us that his ex club had come to his rescue and found him a job in the marketing department at Whitten oval!

jeemak
26-10-2020, 12:15 AM
So according to C7 news tonight Collingwood had to let go one of their assistant coaches Dale Morris a couple of months ago due to the corona virus and clubs having less money in their footy department spend this year! It was mentioned inside a wider story about the AFLPA making funds available to assistant coaches who are struggling for money after being let go by their club. Dale was interviewed and I'm pretty sure they were confusing him with Matthew Boyd but Moz was too nice to point their mistake out.

They finished with telling us that his ex club had come to his rescue and found him a job in the marketing department at Whitten oval!

Moz the charlatan was just angling for two pay checks.

Pickenitup
26-10-2020, 09:47 AM
Gia has been poached by the Bombers interesting move .

azabob
26-10-2020, 09:52 AM

Seriously?

soupman
26-10-2020, 09:53 AM
Well i guess thats one way to get us to shake up our assistant coaching group, lose them to inferior teams.

azabob
26-10-2020, 09:55 AM

Just saw it on the AGE.

Didn't see that one coming.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Yeah we’ve been crying out for coaching changes and to bring in big name recruits. Seems the only way we can do it is by another club poaching from us initially.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Coincidence he gets voted assistant coach of the year and then leaves?

bulldogsthru&thru
26-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Oh I hope Dunks doesn’t love Gia.....

Is this some ploy to help bring him over?

DOG GOD
26-10-2020, 10:06 AM

Certainly seems like bombers are doing everything they can to lure dunks....his brother, now Gia

GVGjr
26-10-2020, 10:25 AM

It's a good move for him. Sad to see him going but we do need to refresh the coaching crew

Grantysghost
26-10-2020, 10:34 AM
Essendon taking #bemorebulldog literally. How does this affect us? He clearly was very popular. Hopefully we can find someone of similar calibre, there's no shortage of possibilities at the moment I guess. It's a buyer's market.

Max469
26-10-2020, 11:19 AM
It's a good move for him. Sad to see him going but we do need to refresh the coaching crew

Was always going to happen, just didn't want it to be them. I stood with him on the night Bevo did his maiden speech at the Social Club Christmas function and we talked about this happening. He said 'Max, you know I will have to leave the club to learn but don't worry i will be back'

Whilst I am happy for him to go and learn, I will miss my funny, football crazy friend around the club.

Bulldog4life
26-10-2020, 11:46 AM

Good chance it is.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2020, 07:14 PM
Well, he's off now and what a career with us.
Maybe this is as good a place as any for a few memories.

Mine is absolutely outclassing various bigger, stronger, faster and younger defenders late in his career, much like Tory Dixon was able to do. Particularly one game against Collingwood Circa Harry O'Brien era, too lazy to look it up.
Mr Lamumba was outfoxed continually and taught a lesson.

All the best Gia. Congrats on this recent gong.

Vred
18-11-2020, 08:36 AM
Looks like Gia's job at Essendon might be very, very short lived...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/17/report-north-melbourne-down-to-three-candidates-for-coaching-job/

Grantysghost
18-11-2020, 11:00 AM
Looks like Gia's job at Essendon might be very, very short lived...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/17/report-north-melbourne-down-to-three-candidates-for-coaching-job/

Interesting. This came out of the Essendon review and makes sense as to why Gia was appointed.

In the summary for members, Brasher said the players "wanted to be pushed hard in training'', adding feedback would be improved by prioritising "relationships and connectedness'' amongst coaches and players, which was "an important criteria in the appointment of (ex-Bulldogs assistant) Daniel Giansiracusa.'

bulldogsthru&thru
18-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Interesting. This came out of the Essendon review and makes sense as to why Gia was appointed.

In the summary for members, Brasher said the players "wanted to be pushed hard in training'', adding feedback would be improved by prioritising "relationships and connectedness'' amongst coaches and players, which was "an important criteria in the appointment of (ex-Bulldogs assistant) Daniel Giansiracusa.'

Cue media releasing article that Dunkley wanted to go to Essendon because they value strong relationships and connectedness whereas he felt this was a bit lacking at the dogs. Essendon assistant coach Giansiracusa, who is big on this, was a big reason Dunkley wanted to get to Tullamarine.