PDA

View Full Version : The "BEST" players who are supposedly available (from rumours heard).

mjp
27-10-2020, 01:02 PM
Lot's of talk so far but not much talk about difference makers.

The names I have heard mentioned who are genuine 'game changing' talents so far are:

De Goey - But there is the issue around assault charges.
Treloar - No idea what's going on - good player.
Mason Cox - Will be shouted down but was unbelievable in a final only a couple of weeks ago.
Brad Crouch - Dink and dunk disposals, but hell, 40 touches is still 40 touches.
Joe Daniher - Game changing footballer
Jesse Hogan - Personal issues/demons and challenging personality
Jeremy Cameron - Seems to be Geelong or bust

What other names have you heard who could actually impact on the outcome of a football game? I have to admit, I hesitated about putting the name "Brad Crouch" in this list.

Who amongst them is gettable? Who could play a role in our colours?

To me, this off-season is all about JUH and securing him needs to be the priority, but if there are others available...

EasternWest
27-10-2020, 01:09 PM
I agree with your analyses on those guys. I would definitely be into Daniher and Cox (and I don't care who shouts it down). The others I'm not interested in.

Don't think we'll go after/get any of them though.

comrade
27-10-2020, 01:14 PM
Cox is the only one who kind of fits a need.

If we lose Dunks (unlikely), I'd offer Collingwood a future second for Treloar. They'd hate it but they're pushing him out the door and it helps them with F/S bidding next year and gives them cap space.

jeemak
27-10-2020, 01:17 PM
If we thought Treloar could play on a wing I'd be interested in him now, Dunkley or no Dunkley.

Mofra
27-10-2020, 01:20 PM
Cox is the only one who kind of fits a need.

If we lose Dunks (unlikely), I'd offer Collingwood a future second for Treloar. They'd hate it but they're pushing him out the door and it helps them with F/S bidding next year and gives them cap space.
Treloar is a quality footballer, but from what I've seen he is the type that can only play in the centre square rotation. Is that what we need?
That would be Libba, Macrae and Treloar in the same category. Dunkley is a victim of his own versatility.

I don't think we can lose sight of how big a coup getting JUH is. If we could keep our core players together and add someone of that potential I'd call the off-season a success, as much I would like ruck support as well.

comrade
27-10-2020, 01:34 PM
Treloar is a quality footballer, but from what I've seen he is the type that can only play in the centre square rotation. Is that what we need?
That would be Libba, Macrae and Treloar in the same category. Dunkley is a victim of his own versatility.

I don't think we can lose sight of how big a coup getting JUH is. If we could keep our core players together and add someone of that potential I'd call the off-season a success, as much I would like ruck support as well.

I'm not sure we can rely on Libba getting through a season fully unscathed like 2020.

Warm weather, shorter games, less overall games all helped him pull through.

If we lose Dunks, we need another mid that can win his own ball.

Mofra
27-10-2020, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure we can rely on Libba getting through a season fully unscathed like 2020.

Warm weather, shorter games, less overall games all helped him pull through.

If we lose Dunks, we need another mid that can win his own ball.
Macrae, Smith and Bont is a decent starting point.

It's the second rotation that we need to consider - Rhylee West should push for games. Does Hunter pinch hit in there, Wallis get a rotation or two? McLean would be in the conversation but I doubt we see him next year.

comrade
27-10-2020, 01:58 PM
Macrae, Smith and Bont is a decent starting point.

It's the second rotation that we need to consider - Rhylee West should push for games. Does Hunter pinch hit in there, Wallis get a rotation or two? McLean would be in the conversation but I doubt we see him next year.

Wallis is a permanent forward for mine. I'd also prefer that Bont has the freedom to go forward too and if Dunks goes, we do limit that IMO.

West may push into the midfield rotation but he's a fair way off right now.

bornadog
27-10-2020, 02:19 PM
Jesse Hogan is an interesting one. He can play back and forward, but we need to find out what his issues are and are they fixable, and does he want to leave WA again? We are looking for a key defender, so there is one possibilty.

EasternWest
27-10-2020, 02:24 PM
Jesse Hogan is an interesting one. He can play back and forward, but we need to find out what his issues are and are they fixable, and does he want to leave WA again? We are looking for a key defender, so there is one possibilty.

Hard, hard pass for me.

bornadog
27-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Hard, hard pass for me.

Is it the no dickhead policy? :D

I must admit all I know is what is reported which is usually 50% correct and that is why I said we would need to know his issues.

Grantysghost
27-10-2020, 02:36 PM
Hard, hard pass for me.

He is one of those guys you always feel like... We can do it, we can be the ones to get him up and about and make him happy. He's such a talent, and was fundamental in the Demons surge of 2018 as a two pronged attack with Mcdonald.
Then there's the off field stuff, and my enthusiasm retreats. Overall I think history shows us its hard to reform these guys, and I'm sure Freo did everything to get him going. But crikey at 25, and in reasonable shape I almost think he's worth the risk.

Axe Man
27-10-2020, 02:45 PM

Freo trialed him in the backline in scratch matches but pulled the pin as it wasn't working. No evidence he can play back at all.

EasternWest
27-10-2020, 03:48 PM
Is it the no dickhead policy? :D

I must admit all I know is what is reported which is usually 50% correct and that is why I said we would need to know his issues.

I'm not convinced that he's a dickhead, but I'm convinced that he's unpredictable and unreliable.

I don't hold his mental health issues against him - I hope he is getting the help he needs - but if we already knows he has this baggage, it's not a good idea to pick it up IMO.

Plus, I'm not sure he's even that good.

Mofra
27-10-2020, 03:52 PM
I'm not convinced that he's a dickhead, but I'm convinced that he's unpredictable and unreliable.

I don't hold his mental health issues against him - I hope he is getting the help he needs - but if we already knows he has this baggage, it's not a good idea to pick it up IMO.

When flying, he's a star. I'm not sure he'll get to that point again.

He's survived cancer and lost his dad in pretty quick succession - it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out he has PTSD of some description.

mjp
27-10-2020, 03:53 PM
Freo trialed him in the backline in scratch matches but pulled the pin as it wasn't working. No evidence he can play back at all.

He played CHB way back in the National Champs and was BOG.

Axe Man
27-10-2020, 04:07 PM
He played CHB way back in the National Champs and was BOG.

Interesting, why was that? He was always touted as a forward since he was drafted as far as I can tell. Where did he play the rest of his junior footy?

josie
27-10-2020, 05:56 PM
If Hogan is not on a silly amount of money I'd trust our club and mentoring from psychologist (?Lisa?) that T Boyd has made glowing remarks about & from rest of club hierarchy as well as our players that we'd stand a 50/50 chance of success (complete guess on my part). If he turns it around that would be a great outcome for him and for whatever club takes a chance. Hope our club does their due diligence and at least explores it.

Agree though that it is a punt given it did not work out for Freo.

Twodogs
27-10-2020, 07:02 PM

Yeah there's a big difference between being a dickhead and having mental health problems. Plenty of people can suffer MH problems and be a dickhead (I've been a prime example at various times) at the same time but from what I've seen from Hogan he's not really a dickhead. From what I've seen he suffers from MH problems because he's had some real shit things happen to him in pretty short order, it's not an organic thing.

I don't really know if we should recruit him or can "fix" or successfully treat him if we do but in terms of pure playing talent any club would love
him on their list.

EasternWest
27-10-2020, 07:04 PM
Yeah there's a big difference between being a dickhead and having mental health problems. Plenty of people can suffer MH problems and be a dickhead (I've been a prime example at various times) at the same time but from what I've seen from Hogan he's not really a dickhead. From what I've seen he suffers from MH problems because he's had some real shit things happen to him in pretty short order, it's not an organic thing.

I don't really know if we should recruit him or can "fix" or successfully treat him if we do but in terms of pure playing talent any club would love
him on their list.

I agree with all of this. The two can be mutually inclusive and exclusive and like I said, I never really felt like Jesse was a dickhead.

Dancin' Douggy
27-10-2020, 07:21 PM
Good assessment. I would seriously look at Hogan. I mean if he's available and cheap, wow. Could be a great addition to the list.
And have a bit of a sniff around Treloar. Pace.

Lot's of talk so far but not much talk about difference makers.

The names I have heard mentioned who are genuine 'game changing' talents so far are:

De Goey - But there is the issue around assault charges.
Treloar - No idea what's going on - good player.
Mason Cox - Will be shouted down but was unbelievable in a final only a couple of weeks ago.
Brad Crouch - Dink and dunk disposals, but hell, 40 touches is still 40 touches.
Joe Daniher - Game changing footballer
Jesse Hogan - Personal issues/demons and challenging personality
Jeremy Cameron - Seems to be Geelong or bust

What other names have you heard who could actually impact on the outcome of a football game? I have to admit, I hesitated about putting the name "Brad Crouch" in this list.

To me, this off-season is all about JUH and securing him needs to be the priority, but if there are others available...

The Bulldogs Bite
27-10-2020, 08:40 PM
Hogan, maybe. But is he actually any good? Showed good signs early days, but that's a long time ago now. Hard to see him as a defender, but worth a chat.

Cox I've spoken about and I like.

Treloar is an interesting one. What does he cost us now? Value surely dropped now that the world knows Collingwood want him out. Weird situation, seems like a really likeable guy. I know he's prone to a turnover but he's a gun and his pace would be handy.

KT31
27-10-2020, 08:43 PM
Rumour doing the rounds we are interested in Esava Ratugolea from the Cats, can ruck and go forward.

1eyedog
27-10-2020, 08:56 PM
Tippa.
Need to pry him out if Dunks goes there. Is he a game changer? No, but he'd be pretty mental in our forward line and would provide some Bruz magic for JUH next year as well. He needs a change and is exactly what we need IMO.

jazzadogs
27-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Are there some similarities between Treloar and Baz Smith? Treloar probably not as fierce with his tackling, and Baz has better skills.

I really like Treloar for his burst speed, but his disposal is very average. I have watched him closely for a few years as he has been in my dynasty fantasy football league, and while he is a great Dreamteam scorer and accumulator he hasn't had a particularly damaging game in a few years from my memory. His hamstrings are a bit of a concern.

I think even though Pies are pushing him, they would still want a first round pick.

jeemak
27-10-2020, 09:26 PM
If we could get our hands on Treloar for a late future first round or thereabouts and a salary that isn't outrageous then you'd do it in a flash in my view. Our midfield is good, but it could be better and specifically, more diverse in terms of leg speed. Irrespective of what happens with Dunkley, if we fix the ruck situation and assume there's going to be longer quarters next year I think we could fit him in within half forward, the wings and centre of the ground.

However the big question is, what constitutes a salary that isn't outrageous for an inside midfielder who goes at 60% disposal efficiency and only scores .1 a game? I guess with a little more support, can he smarten up his disposal efficiency?

If he's on massive coin these next few years and Collingwood is prepared to suck up $200K p.a. of it which I've read they might, then are we talking him being a $600K-$700K p.a. player? Is that almost about right?

bornadog
27-10-2020, 09:31 PM
If we could get our hands on Treloar for a late future first round or thereabouts and a salary that isn't outrageous then you'd do it in a flash in my view. Our midfield is good, but it could be better and more specifically, more diverse in terms of leg speed. Irrespective of what happens with Dunkley, if we fix the ruck situation and assume there's going to be longer quarters next year I think we could fit him in within half forward, the wings and centre of the ground.

However the big question is, what constitutes a salary that isn't outrageous for an inside midfielder who goes at 60% disposal efficiency and only scores .1 a game? I guess with a little more support, can he smarten up his disposal efficiency?

If he's on massive coin these next few years and Collingwood is prepared to suck up $200K p.a. of it which I've read they might, then are we talking him being a $600K-$700K p.a. player? Is that almost about right?

I have always said we need another outside mid with pace as we have too many mids that are similar.

I would go with him if we could do the deal as per above.

Just read this on Foxfooty - pretty poor by Collingwood

Collingwood wants to part ways with Adam Treloar because it believes the departure of his wife and child to another state will impact on his performance.The Age (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/adam-treloar-stuck-in-the-middle-20201027-p5695b.html)’s Sam McClure reports that Treloar’s wife, professional netballer Kim Ravaillion, and six-month-old daughter, Georgie, are at the centre of the Magpies’ desire to offload the 27-year-old in the off-season.
Ravaillion is moving to Brisbane with Georgie having signed a 10-month contract with the Queensland Firebirds, while Treloar had planned on staying at Collingwood where he remains a contracted player until 2025.
But as reported by (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trades-2020-adam-treloar-trade-contract-collingwood-gold-coast-suns-future-queensland-kim-ravaillion-news/news-story/137bca3f3a44b83ecb569c41b2325a41)Foxfooty.com.au (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trades-2020-adam-treloar-trade-contract-collingwood-gold-coast-suns-future-queensland-kim-ravaillion-news/news-story/137bca3f3a44b83ecb569c41b2325a41) on Monday night (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trades-2020-adam-treloar-trade-contract-collingwood-gold-coast-suns-future-queensland-kim-ravaillion-news/news-story/137bca3f3a44b83ecb569c41b2325a41), the gun on-baller was told by the Magpies that they don’t want him any more — and are willing to subsidise his salary at a new club to help push him out.

boydogs
28-10-2020, 12:57 AM
Surely Treloar goes to QLD then
Happy with anyone on MJP's list

Dry Rot
28-10-2020, 01:00 AM

I wonder if there may be some unexpected possibilities this year.

COVID, the hubs etc may have made say some Victorian origin players in interstate clubs more inclined to return home. Especially since the hubs are likely to be needed and used next season too.

The Adelaide Connection
28-10-2020, 01:37 AM
What happened with the Hamling rumblings? Everyone was apparently disgruntled and leaving Freo, is Hamling getting out of dodge still on the cards?

If so, is Hamling a potential option that could help bolster the talls in our back half?

Topdog
28-10-2020, 07:53 AM
I always forget that Hogan had to deal with so much when i think he is a dickhead. He is certainly talented.

bornadog
28-10-2020, 09:23 AM
Surely Treloar goes to QLD then
Happy with anyone on MJP's list

The only possibility is the Suns as Lions have cap issues with Daniher coming in.

comrade
28-10-2020, 09:29 AM
The only possibility is the Suns as Lions have cap issues with Daniher coming in.

If all the reporting is true, it definitely seems like Collingwood are pushing hard for GC to bail them out of their own mess. I hope no one comes to the party and Treloar stays just to spite them.

DOG GOD
28-10-2020, 09:39 AM
If all the reporting is true, it definitely seems like Collingwood are pushing hard for GC to bail them out of their own mess. I hope no one comes to the party and Treloar stays just to spite them.

I agree. Collingwood would want GC pick 5, no doubt. So, I hope GC say NOT INTERESTED, he either stays to spite them like you said comrade, OR the pressure on Collingwood sees him go to another club for a pick in the 20’s.

SquirrelGrip
28-10-2020, 09:41 AM
If Collingwood are so keen to offload him, they have to be prepared for a pick in the 20s.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2020, 09:43 AM
If Dunkley really wants out can we get involved in this Trealor mess and let out Ben King who, you know, really wants to come home to VIC?

Look it’s not entirely a dream scenario. I don’t want Dunks to leave.

Dancin' Douggy
28-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Very interesting scheme.........

If Dunkley really wants out can we get involved in this Trealor mess and let out Ben King who, you know, really wants to come home to VIC?

Look it’s not entirely a dream scenario. I don’t want Dunks to leave.

mjp
28-10-2020, 12:32 PM
Interesting, why was that? He was always touted as a forward since he was drafted as far as I can tell. Where did he play the rest of his junior footy?

'Cos recruiters wanted to see him there and (in theory) he still had another year of 18's...He played CHB vs SA @ Geelong.

Of course, he then got drafted as a 17yo priority selection.

Ozza
29-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned in many other places and discussed already, I am way behind on WOOF, but with Treloar unlikely to be able to get interstate....surely a Dunkley/Treloar/Saad/Pick 7 multi team trade is on the cards, with us ending up with Treloar.

I could live with that if Dunks wants to go. Imagine we'd need to sweeten it somewhat.

bornadog
29-10-2020, 04:45 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned in many other places and discussed already, I am way behind on WOOF, but with Treloar unlikely to be able to get interstate....surely a Dunkley/Treloar/Saad/Pick 7 multi team trade is on the cards, with us ending up with Treloar.

I could live with that if Dunks wants to go. Imagine we'd need to sweeten it somewhat.

Collingwood would need to take up some of his $900k per annum salary - otherwise not worth it.

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 07:18 PM
Collingwood would need to take up some of his $900k per annum salary - otherwise not worth it.

200k of it.

Dunkley for Treloar and a second rounder or MTW

Twodogs
29-10-2020, 08:02 PM

Other way around I'd reckon. We'd need to have the deal sweetened for us. I know we all overrate our players but we are talking about a 23 yo premiership required and contractsd player who is pretty much the vice captain of the club. No way is he equal in value to a player with dodgy hammies who sprays the ball by foot who's getting pushed out the door. Dunks is far more valuable.

I'd be wanting Trealor and pick 7 for hm. Otherwise he stays at Collingwood and we see if Phillips get shaken free due to their salary cap dilemma.