PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Mitch Hannan

bulldogtragic
10-11-2020, 01:05 PM
For a future 3rd Rounder

bornadog
10-11-2020, 01:11 PM
Hannan becomes a Bulldog

The 26-year-old forward has been secured by the Western Bulldogs in a trade with Melbourne, in exchange for its 2021 future round three selection.

Hannan has signed a two-year contract with the Bulldogs.

comrade
10-11-2020, 01:11 PM
Rated him very highly after watching him at Footscray and was disappointed when we missed out on him.

I think he'll be good for us and has more grunt & toe than Lipinski, Lloyd, Dale etc who he'll be competing with for that mid sized forward role.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2020, 01:16 PM
In his first two seasons:

35 Games
44 Goals
26 Behinds
22 Goal Assists

The last two seasons he's been played less and impacted his overall stats. If we can get him back into the form of his first two seasons, that would be great. Having started late there's scope for 5 seasons left in him.

soupman
10-11-2020, 01:23 PM
I think he is a decent signing, but if we keep all of Dale, Lloyd, Weightman, Schache and Cavarra on the list despite slotting Hannan in ahead of them in the pecking order i am going to be disappointed.

G-Mo77
10-11-2020, 01:30 PM
I'm happy to get him for nostalgic reasons. I loved that VFL flag and he was awesome that season. Such a shame both he and Long fell through, Long would easily find a spot in this side as well.

Does he make us better? Not sure, I see it a little sideways for my likings. Does he bring more than Lloyd or Dale? I think he's got a bit more grunt about him but not sure if it makes a huge difference.

IMO we need to shed one of Lloyd or Dale now, preferably Lloyd.

Oh. Welcome back Mitch!

bornadog
10-11-2020, 01:39 PM
I'm happy to get him for nostalgic reasons. I loved that VFL flag and he was awesome that season. Such a shame both he and Long fell through, Long would easily find a spot in this side as well.

Does he make us better? Not sure, I see it a little sideways for my likings. Does he bring more than Lloyd or Dale? I think he's got a bit more grunt about him but not sure if it makes a huge difference.

IMO we need to shed one of Lloyd or Dale now, preferably Lloyd.

Oh. Welcome back Mitch!

I am not over enthusiastic with this one, but happy to have him, at the Bulldogs.

1eyedog
10-11-2020, 01:54 PM
He's got more attributes than Lloyd and is more consistent than Dale. He should get some games in 2021.

bornadog
10-11-2020, 01:56 PM
Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKERk3Os_qc&ab_channel=MelbourneFootballClub

Happy Days
10-11-2020, 01:59 PM
Okay.

soupman
10-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Why is there a random Charlie Spargo highlight in that video?

Jeanette54
10-11-2020, 02:06 PM
I seem to remember him kicking a couple of goals against us this year, three if memory is correct.

Rocket Science
10-11-2020, 02:16 PM
Welp, I suppose he's a modest upgrade on Gowers ...

bornadog
10-11-2020, 02:21 PM
Welp, I suppose he's a modest upgrade on Gowers ...

Nah, replaces Dicko.

Axe Man
10-11-2020, 02:30 PM
I seem to remember him kicking a couple of goals against us this year, three if memory is correct.

No, he barely touched it against us this year. To be fair he was a last minute inclusion after Nathan Jones broke down in the warm up.

Lucky we already knew all about him because he hasn't exactly impressed when we have played Melbourne - 4 goals in 5 games.

SquirrelGrip
10-11-2020, 02:47 PM
Great to have another left-footer in the team!

Eastdog
10-11-2020, 02:56 PM
Welcome back Mitch Hannan! Wish you well and hoping you become a very affective forward for us.

Grantysghost
10-11-2020, 03:22 PM
No, he barely touched it against us this year. To be fair he was a last minute inclusion after Nathan Jones broke down in the warm up.

Lucky we already knew all about him because he hasn't exactly impressed when we have played Melbourne - 4 goals in 5 games.

Yes my Melbourne friends say he's been pretty average for a couple of years. Doesn't really fit either a deep role or a leading high role. But we shall see im positive he's got something to offer.

Bulldog Joe
10-11-2020, 03:40 PM
I am happy to bring Mitch into the fold.

Not sure we should have paid as high as 3rd round, but at least it is not from this year.

The positive is we should have a Mitch or 2 in the goal kickers most weeks.

Go_Dogs
10-11-2020, 10:14 PM
Don’t mind this. He’s not a huge difference maker, but does offer a point of difference if that makes sense. Imagine it means the end for another mid sized forward or two.

Mofra
11-11-2020, 10:05 AM
Yes my Melbourne friends say he's been pretty average for a couple of years. Doesn't really fit either a deep role or a leading high role. But we shall see im positive he's got something to offer.
I heard different - he's average playing up the field but godo close to goals, albeit inconsistent (like most small forwards).

If we ignore his height and consider him as a small forward pocket he should provide some value to us.

Ozza
11-11-2020, 10:24 AM
Has struggled a bit with a knee injury the last two seasons. If he gets a good run at it, pretty hopeful he can get back to his 2017/2018 form.

Bulldog Revolution
11-11-2020, 12:06 PM
Great to have Mitch back at the club - hope he can get himself super fit and have a great 2021

Vred
11-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Welcome back Mitch, hopefully kicking bags for us soon.

Ghost Dog
11-11-2020, 01:15 PM
I heard different - he's average playing up the field but godo close to goals, albeit inconsistent (like most small forwards).

If we ignore his height and consider him as a small forward pocket he should provide some value to us.

Which player do you compare him most to in Bulldogs history?

SonofScray
11-11-2020, 01:23 PM
Welcome back, it annoyed me that he didn't transition from our VFL program to the senior list when Melbourne swooped. Same as Ben Long.

Mitch has some tricks and probably brings that little bit of extra work rate that bloke's who have walked his path to get on the list tend to have. Happy to have him back, time will tell if he can be an influence. A bit of a player who can add value to a side where the sum is greater than its parts, if that makes sense. Jong is like that too IMO.

SquirrelGrip
11-11-2020, 01:41 PM
Which player do you compare him most to in Bulldogs history?

I think Brett Montgomery

azabob
11-11-2020, 10:44 PM
A really impressive interview by Mitch on my favourite radio program RSN breakfast club.
By the sounds of it we have traded for two level headed players

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=756477

Bulldog4life
13-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Mitch has got a little bit of x factor about him. Can take a screamer as well. Knows where the goals are. Good pick up but time will tell.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2021, 09:55 PM
Please show us something. Anything.

bornadog
15-05-2021, 10:07 PM
Please show us something. Anything.

2 disposals to half time

bulldogtragic
15-05-2021, 10:11 PM
2 disposals to half time

10 Quarters so far in our jumper:

18 Disposals Total (1.8 per quarter)
10 Marks Total (1 per quarter)
6 Tackles Total (.6 per quarter)
0 Goals Total (0.0 per quarter)

bulldogtragic
15-05-2021, 10:33 PM
That’s better. Nice finish. Now more thanks.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2021, 12:36 AM
Bevo's presser tells me both that Hannan ain't playing for Footscray next week and the KPI's of match committee are beyond the mere mortals of WOOF to try and decode. Easier to have broken the German's Enigma code.

MrMahatma
16-05-2021, 12:46 AM
Bevo's presser tells me both that Hannan ain't playing for Footscray next week and the KPI's of match committee are beyond the mere mortals of WOOF to try and decode. Easier to have broken the German's Enigma code.

I guess the KPIs lead to wins? Hard to argue with Bevo right now.

jeemak
16-05-2021, 12:46 AM
As I said in the match day thread he just looks a bit behind everyone else because he's underdone, and kind of like Bruce did last year in terms of almost getting to the right spots at the right time but not, fluffing things because he's exhausted and just not gelling like he might if able to keep up physically.

Another thing about him that reminds me of Bruce is a bit retrospective post more of the commentary that has been forthcoming from Bruce himself about how he struggled to fit in and understand the way we wanted him to play in our system. Mitch would definitely be struggling with this right now, and it's difficult to know whether playing him is good for him and the team or whether he should have a spell.

He tackled, apparently ran where we wanted him to tonight, and kicked a very important goal. He'll be in the team next week but in my view needs to get up to speed quickly as we have players putting their hands up.

Vred
16-05-2021, 04:36 AM
As I said in the match day thread he just looks a bit behind everyone else because he's underdone, and kind of like Bruce did last year in terms of almost getting to the right spots at the right time but not, fluffing things because he's exhausted and just not gelling like he might if able to keep up physically.

Another thing about him that reminds me of Bruce is a bit retrospective post more of the commentary that has been forthcoming from Bruce himself about how he struggled to fit in and understand the way we wanted him to play in our system. Mitch would definitely be struggling with this right now, and it's difficult to know whether playing him is good for him and the team or whether he should have a spell.

He tackled, apparently ran where we wanted him to tonight, and kicked a very important goal. He'll be in the team next week but in my view needs to get up to speed quickly as we have players putting their hands up.

Honestly, I think Wallis could do his role better at the moment, I just don’t see it yet with Hannan, but then again I’m not match committee.

jazzadogs
16-05-2021, 08:25 AM
Honestly, I think Wallis could do his role better at the moment, I just don’t see it yet with Hannan, but then again I’m not match committee.

Wallis was terrible at the start of the year as a forward. I know he has been playing well in the VFL, but has that mostly been in the midfield? I'm not sure he is a like-for-like for Hannan based on form this year...

SonofScray
16-05-2021, 08:47 AM
Hannan looks a half step off a few too many contests, but it is a tough role he has to play at half-forward and he is very persistent with his efforts. AFL level and will offer some value as he did last night, without setting the world on fire.

Pretty hard at it.

GVGjr
16-05-2021, 08:56 AM
We've played him without sufficient form under his belt. As a player I don't doubt he's good enough but he's not showing anything at the moment to suggest he's adding much value. If English was to come back against the Saints I think Hannan makes us too tall up forward.

Grantysghost
16-05-2021, 09:37 AM
Hannan was ok I thought. Good intensity, speed and positioning . Think he's coming into good form and like what he brings.
Got a good nose for goal and better with the ground balls than I realised.

bornadog
16-05-2021, 11:04 AM
We've played him without sufficient form under his belt. As a player I don't doubt he's good enough but he's not showing anything at the moment to suggest he's adding much value. If English was to come back against the Saints I think Hannan makes us too tall up forward.

I agree. I didn't like his VFL form and has kicked one goal in 3 games.

He should be back in the VFL until he finds form and be ready for the run home.

Happy Days
16-05-2021, 07:47 PM
I really like the idea of Hannan but he's just not doing anything. Like at some point surely the lack of actual anything has to overwhelm whatever galaxy brain thing he's allegedly doing.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2021, 06:20 PM
What is Hannan judged on by the MC?

GVGjr
11-07-2021, 06:58 PM
What is Hannan judged on by the MC?

Shhhh, Bevo thinks he's doing what is asked of him.

DOG GOD
11-07-2021, 06:59 PM
And that will be for all to see when he’s named next week.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2021, 07:06 PM

It’s a genuine question. At 3/4 time Jamarra was tracking better than him. Is his athleticism? Schache has him covered. It’s not kicking goals that’s a given. I would like to know what he’s doing to not get close to consideration to being dropped. We are behind the eight ball with no Naughton. But add in very predictable precious little from Hannan & JJ while debuting a kid and we struggled to score. I’m staggered.

soupman
11-07-2021, 07:06 PM
Well I've certainly given him the benefit of the doubt so far, but I'm happy to call it. Drop him. Just adding nothing with or without the ball.

macca
11-07-2021, 07:09 PM
I really cannot see what Hannan offers at the moment. He use to be a really good mark and had a spring in his step from the VFL reports.

His just not quick enough, big turning circle and rarely is infront of the ball. He cannot wrestle opposition players and his kicking for goal has been poor this year.

Maybe his bidding his time for JUH for that mid-tall.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-07-2021, 07:10 PM
Well I've certainly given him the benefit of the doubt so far, but I'm happy to call it. Drop him. Just adding nothing with or without the ball.

Same here. I’ve defended him. Had enough now. Marra offers more.

bornadog
11-07-2021, 07:54 PM

We should never have traded him in.

merantau
11-07-2021, 08:03 PM
I would keep JUH in and give Hannan a spell in the VFL.

jeemak
11-07-2021, 08:32 PM
I've been taking a wait and see view. I get that he runs hard, and today he had solid tackle numbers, but if you're in an offencive role you eventually have to do some offencive things - particularly when you're a best KPF down. There's just not enough productivity from him.

EasternWest
11-07-2021, 09:17 PM
Same here. I’ve defended him. Had enough now. Marra offers more.

That's dire since I heard a rumour Axe Man would have had him covered today.

Dancin' Douggy
12-07-2021, 09:03 PM
yeah Hannan is not contributing enough to hold his place in the seniors in any way shape or form.

Hotdog60
12-07-2021, 09:52 PM
Would Paddy Lipinski give us more the Mitch Hannan?

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Compare?playerIds=CD_I1001449,CD_I1003130&comparisonTab=h2h

I know Paddy's tackling is a bit luck luster but when compare him against Hannan would we lose that much and Paddy can relieve in the mid field.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2021, 10:00 PM
I’ve argued the best chance for Pat to make it is medium forward. He’s a great shot for goal (which would be nice to have) and I’d like to see him there before he’s presumably traded in 3 months.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 09:57 PM
For the most part, I’ve seen a decent VFL player this year with the occasional good thing.

But credit where it’s due, well done Mitch. He played a solid game yesterday and his best for the club. A good time to pull it out in a cut throat final:

15 Disposals, 2 Goals, 2 Behinds, 7 Score Involvements, 4 Tackles (1 I50), 2 I50’s, 2 Clearances, 13 Pressure Acts, 275 Metres Gained, Highest SuperCoach Score with us (69).

Here’s hoping he takes this effort and builds upon it again.

1eyedog
30-08-2021, 10:00 PM
He played really well. As good as can be expected. Kudos.

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 10:11 PM
I see Mitch filling the Tory Dickson spot. Good over head, decent below his knees and fairly straight kick at goal.

bornadog
30-08-2021, 10:24 PM
One thing with Mitch, he gives 100% effort at every contest.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2021, 10:33 PM
One thing with Mitch, he gives 100% effort at every contest.

He just needs to be less fumbly and cleaner. If he can can one grab more often he will be a lot more damaging. I’d not noticed this before this year, so hopefully he can improve it. If he can do it sooner rather than later his good game yesterday may not be his best game for the year.

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 10:42 PM
He just needs to be less fumbly and cleaner. If he can can one grab more often he will be a lot more damaging. I’d not noticed this before this year, so hopefully he can improve it. If he can do it sooner rather than later his good game yesterday may not be his best game for the year.

Yep. To use a cricket term he needs softer hands.

jeemak
30-08-2021, 10:47 PM
It was interesting to hear Jordan Lewis state before the game (or after) that Hannan is a massive confidence player, like really noticeable.

He really frustrated me on Sunday though not because of effort. Hopefully after a good game, which he did have, he can be a bit more confident in himself and hang onto the footy a bit better.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2021, 11:04 PM

That’s raw talent at this level. He has been training as a professional footballer for years. This isn’t fitness or technique. Touch, feel and being clean can’t be taught in my humble opinion when you have exposed form at this level. You either have it or you don’t.

SquirrelGrip
31-08-2021, 10:51 AM
It was interesting to hear Jordan Lewis state before the game (or after) that Hannan is a massive confidence player, like really noticeable.

He really frustrated me on Sunday though not because of effort. Hopefully after a good game, which he did have, he can be a bit more confident in himself and hang onto the footy a bit better.

Hannan actually has the ability to tear a game apart and kick four in a final. If it's all about confidence, let's hope he's ready to rip. Everything is heading in the right direction.

westbulldog
31-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Imo Hannan has shown some improvement but I am still not convinced.

Happy Days
31-08-2021, 11:12 AM
I'm agnostic on Hannan but he definitely gets stitched up in these wet weather games with his hairline. Poor guy.

Danjul
31-08-2021, 11:29 AM
Imo Hannan has shown some improvement but I am still not convinced.
I frequently notice Hannan trying to crash into Naughton and English when they are trying to outmark each other. Someone needs to tell him to stay on the ground and away from them, when he positions himself correctly he can contribute well.

Testekill
31-08-2021, 02:11 PM
He had a good game on Sunday, definitely agree that he needs softer hands as his biggest problem this year has been not being able to pick up ground balls cleanly.

Mofra
31-08-2021, 02:24 PM
I think he's a role player and that's what we targeted him for.
Arguably, our role players are the reason we've been able to elevate ourselves compared to past seasons.

westdog54
04-09-2021, 11:35 PM
The guy is a battering ram. So many of our forward chances are generated by him hitting the contest at a million miles an hour.

Bailey Smith doesn't get that shot at goal without Mitch's contribution.

EasternWest
04-09-2021, 11:36 PM
The guy is a battering ram. So many of our forward chances are generated by him hitting the contest at a million miles an hour.

Bailey Smith doesn't get that shot at goal without Mitch's contribution.

Yep thought he did his bit again tonight and flushed a beautiful goal.

josie
04-09-2021, 11:52 PM
Effort top notch. Agree if he had softer hands & could be a tad less fumbly & sometimes not crash into packs going for marks when Naughts is in good position.

whythelongface
05-09-2021, 12:17 AM
Interesting player Mitch. Frustrating in that he doesn’t get many disposals nor kick as many goals as he probably should, but can’t fault his effort and 1 percenters. A few times tonight his efforts led to goals.

Hoping he has a breakout game next week and kicks 4.

jeemak
05-09-2021, 12:57 AM
His effort is outstanding and he impacts contests in the air and at ground level to make the game stay in our area more.

Like Bruce last year I think he's struggling to get in the groove with our forward line and game structure, plus he had an interrupted preseason which may have dulled his best chance of impacting to his ability.

I was very harsh on him this evening with the ball he decided not to centre. And I won't take that back, because a role player with limited skill needs to understand that by being selfish in that situation is the type of thing that keeps a player like him out of a competitive side.

On the other hand centering the ball and us scoring from that is exactly the type of thing that makes his team mates embrace him. It was a shit moment in an otherwise pretty good game in which I further understood why he's important to us.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2021, 01:00 AM
I have to admit, he’s a completely different player to what I had in my mind when he came across. He’s like Mitch Hahn.

He doesn’t need much from a stats perspective to be a positive, but hitting the scoreboard and bringing the ball to ground at critical times went some way today.

jazzadogs
05-09-2021, 01:11 AM
The handball to Baz - sublime.

The last two weeks have been his best games for the club. Well timed!!

MrMahatma
05-09-2021, 01:13 AM
Having a red hot crack. Nailed one set shot.

Could get a couple next week. Who knows? Keep at it Mitch.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2021, 01:13 AM
Had some big moments. Great collect and hand off to Bailey for THAT goal.

Still frustrating at times but he's so important without Brice (and Cody).

jeemak
05-09-2021, 01:16 AM
Had some big moments. Great collect and hand off to Bailey for THAT goal.

Still frustrating at times but he's so important without Brice (and Cody).

Remember how we all went crazy about THAT left foot goal by Ryan Griffen against Melbourne in the wet...........it was like we forgot about the real THAT left foot goal that preceded that one, when Chris Grant broke those filthy Bombers hearts.

We now have another THAT left footer to go with Chris's.

Testekill
11-09-2021, 11:12 PM
He picked a bloody good time to come into form.

jeemak
11-09-2021, 11:41 PM
So happy for Mitch Hannan. He has really stood up and had massive moments for us. His first half tonight was outstanding.

Good on him.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2021, 11:42 PM
So happy for Mitch Hannan. He has really stood up and had massive moments for us. His first half tonight was outstanding.

Good on him.

I hope this confidence and the bullshit his former teammates gave him last game spurs him on to really shove it up them.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-09-2021, 11:47 PM
What a game.

Brilliant Mitch!

soupman
12-09-2021, 12:05 AM
Super performance from Hannan. Was instrumental in the first half when shit mattered.

Testekill
12-09-2021, 12:15 AM
I hope this confidence and the bullshit his former teammates spurs him on to really shove it up them.

I hope he has a chance to belt Fritsch after Fritsch verbally taunted him last time.

westdog54
12-09-2021, 12:31 AM
Super performance from Hannan. Was instrumental in the first half when shit mattered.

I posted in the three things thread about Bevo's faith in his players.

Hannan's last two weeks have shown me why he's been in the side all year.

He's a competitive beast and exactly what we needed to win finals.

angelopetraglia
12-09-2021, 01:49 AM
What a night and what an occasion for him to play his best game for the club. He set the trend early with his contested marking and efforts. Well done Mitch. Just superb.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2021, 10:32 AM
So we know he’s a confidence player. Now he has peak confidence.

Having come from Melbourne FC last year playing against your old team can be positive, neutral or negative. Does that give him a little more point to prove which can be good or bad. Or, does it get into his head and weigh on him? Or nothing at all?

boydogs
16-09-2021, 11:26 PM

Having come from Melbourne FC last year playing against your old team can be positive, neutral or negative. Does that give him a little more point to prove which can be good or bad. Or, does it get into his head and weigh on him? Or nothing at all?

I think it makes him hungry but he's probably the one player in our side that can be a bit selfish at times so that may not be the best thing

Mantis
17-09-2021, 07:57 AM

If they pile on the same junk comments as per rd 20 you'd think his teammates will support him which will give him a boost.

He seems like he enjoyed the banter and it didn't harm his influence.