PDA

View Full Version : Rating the 2020 Trade Period

bulldogtragic
12-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Martin - in effect for La Young (who quit)
Hannan - Future 3rd
Treloar - Future 2nd (and a points trade) - And they hand over $1,500,000
Dunkley staying

A heap of picks in tact for JUH

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-11-2020, 09:04 PM
Martin - in effect for La Young (who quit)
Hannan - Future 3rd
Treloar - Future 2nd (and a points trade) - And they hand over $1,500,000
Dunkley staying

A heap of picks in tact for JUH

For me it's a very big win. This was always about making sure we landed JUH.
That was priority 1.
To get Treloar for a future second (plus Collingwood pay some salary) and then turning pick 14 into 26,33,41 which I think is worth about 500 more points than pick 14 collectively...

Hannan and Martin - just trimming.

We also came out with another key component enhanced......our reputation as tough negotiators who will not allow other clubs to come at our talent and then try to rope us into accepting poor deals.

We've now got 12 months to convince Dunkley to stay, or otherwise we do a similar dance with Dodo again.

GVGjr
12-11-2020, 09:05 PM
Ins:
Mitch Hannan (from Melbourne)
Stefan Martin (from Brisbane)
Adam Treloar (from Collingwood)
Two 2nd-round picks (26 & 33) and a 3rd-round pick (42) as part of Treloar deal

Outs:
Lachie Young (to North Melbourne)
Future 3rd-round selection for Hannan
1st-round pick (14) and a future 2nd-round pick as part of Treloar deal

500 more points is another excellent result

9 out of 10 rating by my assessment

Bulldog Joe
12-11-2020, 09:05 PM
I know it is written in stone that Essendon win trade period, but this is as good as we could have hoped for.

We now need the coach to be ready with a winning plan from round 1 and every round after that.

bulldogtragic
12-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Have a first and fourth rounder next year. Rights on at least West, West & Darcy as Father Sons. Well placed.

comrade
12-11-2020, 09:09 PM
Clubs and managers will now tread lightly when targeting one of our contracted players and our blokes know that if we offer you an extended contract and we want you at the club, we won't be walked over at the trade table. That's a huge win

Grantysghost
12-11-2020, 09:14 PM
Ins:
Mitch Hannan (from Melbourne)
Stefan Martin (from Brisbane)
Adam Treloar (from Collingwood)
Two 2nd-round picks (26 & 33) and a 3rd-round pick (42) as part of Treloar deal

Outs:
Lachie Young (to North Melbourne)
Future 3rd-round selection for Hannan
1st-round pick (14) and a future 2nd-round pick as part of Treloar deal

500 more points is another excellent result

9 out of 10 rating by my assessment

Brilliant effort. I had a feeling Treloar would still drop independantly of Dunkley. Recruiting is so critical to clubs, whoever hired Sam should get a pay rise. At least give him another 20c.

Webby
12-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Has it been confirmed how much of Treloar’s annual salary the Pies are covering?

Sedat
12-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Clubs and managers will now tread lightly when targeting one of our contracted players and our blokes know that if we offer you an extended contract and we want you at the club, we won't be walked over at the trade table. That's a huge win
Also a pretty scathing assessment of Dodoro and will have any future trade targets potentially not bothering to negotiate with the Bombers. To only offer pick 8 after courting a 23yo jet with 2 years to run in his contract speaks volumes. They are yesterday's men

bulldogtragic
12-11-2020, 09:16 PM
Has it been confirmed how much of Treloar’s annual salary the Pies are covering?

$1,500,000 in total ($300,000 a year)

whythelongface
12-11-2020, 09:19 PM
9 out of 10. A KPD would have been icing on the cake but we have done amazingly well

bulldogtragic
Also a pretty scathing assessment of Dodoro and will have any future trade targets potentially not bothering to negotiate with the Bombers. To only offer pick 8 after courting a 23yo jet with 2 years to run in his contract speaks volumes. They are yesterday's men

Bevo sits Josh down "we are the ones who rate you, we are the ones who you love what you bring to this club each and every day. They don't. But they misjudge the man you are. You will continue to be a vital member of this club and you will lead this club to our next premiership. This is just the beginning of the next exciting chapter of your life."

The Bulldogs Bite
11/10.

Webby
12-11-2020, 09:21 PM

Thanks. Where was that confirmed? Or is it just hearsay?

josie
"A+" from me.

Agree brilliant "A++" if Stef Martin's body holds up and/or he ends up helping Sweet & English become better rucks.

Would have been great to get a KPD. Naughton back when needed is always possible though. Maybe that's what our club's line of thinking is.

Have more speed with Treloar which is excellent as long his hammys hold up.

Scraggers
The called Sam Power ‘The Iceman’ on Trade Radio. That nickname has to stick :cool:

Eastdog
12-11-2020, 09:22 PM
Really good trade period.

Particularly happy with the Stef Martin deal to give us that experience in the ruck and help Tim and Jordan. Treloar adds to our solid midfield and keeping Dunkley on as well makes that midfield look very formidable. Hannan hopefully provides some forward grunt.

divvydan
12-11-2020, 09:40 PM
Loved most of what happened in the trade period. Still not sure we've fixed our biggest issue, which I think is our key defensive stocks but that aside, it appears very impressive.

bornadog
12-11-2020, 09:50 PM
The called Sam Power ‘The Iceman’ on Trade Radio. That nickname has to stick :cool:

Haha, I called him that last week.

bornadog
12-11-2020, 09:51 PM
Loved most of what happened in the trade period. Still not sure we've fixed our biggest issue, which I think is our key defensive stocks but that aside, it appears very impressive.

Check my new thread and see what you think - read here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?20351-Naughton-to-Fullback-English-Full-forward)

Bullies
12-11-2020, 09:53 PM
The best thing having the depth of mid fielders that we do is that Bont can play CHF.

He will be impossible to stop. Can go in the middle when we need him.

divvydan
12-11-2020, 09:54 PM
Maybe, in truth, I'm not sure English's hands above his head are good enough to play key forward but Naughton down back is certainly an option. Who knows what the club has in mind.

KT31
12-11-2020, 09:55 PM
The best thing having the depth of mid fielders that we do is that Bont can play CHF.

He will be impossible to stop. Can go in the middle when we need him.

Is there a better mid field in the competition now ?
At full strength, I don't think so.

bornadog
Maybe, in truth, I'm not sure English's hands above his head are good enough to play key forward but Naughton down back is certainly an option. Who knows what the club has in mind.

Otherwise we go with Lew Young and see how he goes.

Happy Days
Pretty underwhelming at about 4pm, solid and 7:31, absolutely insane at 7:33.

Can we start the games now?

bulldogsthru&thru
12-11-2020, 09:56 PM
Has anyone heard from TBB?

DOG GOD
12-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Very happy with the Treloar deal. Martin and Hannan serve a requirement. JUH on top of that.
Naughton has got to go to defence in 2021.

EasternWest
12-11-2020, 09:58 PM

I thought I read that he is preparing a menu for The Iceman.

DOG GOD
12-11-2020, 09:59 PM
I honestly expected Schache and Lew Young would’ve been traded out, but they survive at this time.

What happens with Naughton, Schache and Lew Young will be very important next year. If Naughton goes back, then that gives a massive opportunity for these guys. Get them in the gym, get them a boxing coach.

bornadog
12-11-2020, 10:00 PM
Very happy with the Treloar deal. Martin and Hannan serve a requirement. JUH on top of that.
Naughton has got to go to defence in 2021.

Kept Schache and Lew Young as well

DOG GOD
12-11-2020, 10:01 PM
Kept Schache and Lew Young as well
Agree. I was shocked they weren’t moved on. Big preseasons required

comrade
12-11-2020, 10:19 PM
The Age is reporting that AFL are considering a brief trade period before the draft. Get ****ed I say.

azabob
12-11-2020, 10:25 PM
The Age is reporting that AFL are considering a brief trade period before the draft. Get ****ed I say.

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/magpies-firesale-sends-treloar-to-the-dogs-20201112-p56e67.html?__twitter_impression=true

Axe Man
12-11-2020, 10:31 PM

Thanks. Where was that confirmed? Or is it just hearsay?

That’s what we were asking for, I don’t think anybody outside those involved know what the final agreement was.

choconmientay
12-11-2020, 10:38 PM
Foxsports ratings (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-2020-winners-and-losers-western-bulldogs-sam-power-collingwood-ned-guy-adam-treloar/news-story/df3b53095af678a9068e27d5943220b2)

WINNERS

Western Bulldogs – Wow. The Dogs have kept Josh Dunkley AND brought in Adam Treloar. It is a monumental effort. They offloaded a bunch of picks to get Treloar, but given the points they’re after for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan in the draft, they really traded a future second-round pick for Adam Treloar. It is a brilliant piece of trading by Sam Power and the Dogs. Josh Dunkley wants more midfield minutes, so it’s going to be intriguing to see how that works now that Treloar is on board. Another smart move by the Dogs was holding Dunkley to his contract – they know he’s the ultimate professional and won’t kick up a stink. They also brought in Mitch Hannan, who some in the know rate very highly, along with Stefan Martin who will be crucial to the development of Tim English. A flying success.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Who left: Lachie Young (North Melbourne, trade)

Who arrived: Mitch Hannan (Melbourne, trade), Stefan Martin (Brisbane Lions, trade), Adam Treloar (Collingwood, trade)

Draft picks owned: 26, 33, 41, 42, 54, 90

David King says: “I just wonder in five years’ time, if we’ll look back at the opportunity to get back up to Pick 2 or Pick 3. They’ve missed that chance, they’ve chosen Treloar instead of that option. They’ve done a great job with the list for 2021, but for the list for 2026? I’m not being negative on them at all - Hannan’s a great get, Treloar’s gonna be a star for them and Martin, they needed some ruck help. But have they solved the forward 50 problem?”

Grade: A

SonofScray
12-11-2020, 10:42 PM
Its sublime. As good a feeling we've had since the Boyd saga.

Martin signals a change in plans re: ruck, which is a relief and might get me off Bevo's back.
Dunkley stays, at the expense of Essendon's dignity. Fantastic.
Picks do their job, with JUH on the way.

comrade
12-11-2020, 10:45 PM
King's analysis is absurd. In what universe did we have the chance to get pick 2 or 3 when Essendon were offering us pick 7 and a future 2nd at the absolute most.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-11-2020, 10:49 PM
King's analysis is absurd. In what universe did we have the chance to get pick 2 or 3 when Essendon were offering us pick 7 and a future 2nd at the absolute most.

Talks about pick 2/3 but then finishes off by asking about our forward line?? Makes no sense. We’ve got JUH coming in the draft as our forward. Thank god we have the mighty Sam Power running our list and not this clueless muppet.

GVGjr
12-11-2020, 10:59 PM

I think Sammy is on holidays then so no issues

Happy Days
12-11-2020, 10:59 PM

He's right though, we've missed the chance at getting into the top 2 or 3 and a real chance at getting Ugle-Hagan.

Wait.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-11-2020, 11:05 PM

Sam just ordered the fillet mignon and I've asked for a bottle of Footscray's finest.

Can someone deliver dinner to my wife at home?

westdog54
12-11-2020, 11:14 PM
I've had some decent time away from the forum but I had to come back just to say this:

Holy mother of God, that was *!*!*!*!ing incredible.

For Sam Power to hold his nerve at the death, secure a trade for Treloar that puts us in an even better position to secure JUH, add ruck depth and bring Hannan back to the club, simply incredible.

comrade
12-11-2020, 11:19 PM
I've had some decent time away from the forum but I had to come back just to say this:

Holy mother of God, that was *!*!*!*!ing incredible.

For Sam Power to hold his nerve at the death, secure a trade for Treloar that puts us in an even better position to secure JUH, add ruck depth and bring Hannan back to the club, simply incredible.

Haven't been this pumped about the Dogs since October 2016.

bornadog
12-11-2020, 11:32 PM
Sam just ordered the fillet mignon and I've asked for a bottle of Footscray's finest.

Can someone deliver dinner to my wife at home?

ON the way

https://www.takepart.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/mcdonaldaustralia1.jpg

The Adelaide Connection
13-11-2020, 12:00 AM
My initial thoughts mirror many here: it was a super trade period and Sam Power has done an amazing job to bring in who he has, without giving up almost anything, and strengthening (not compromising) our position to get JUH (without having to pay for it well into 2021's picks).

BUT...

...When the dust settles, I think this draft period is going to mean so much more. I think today could become another part of the rich tapestry of line in the sand moments for our club.

We have precariously trapezed the precipice of extinction. We have fought through crippling debt and a 'Grapes of Wrath' competition skewed to position the big clubs; in it's desperate, short-sighted grab for quick cash. We've fought against red tape, inequity, condescension.

We've been here before not so long ago and predictably buckled at the hands of Dodoro. We've had to convince ourselves we've done ok while simultaneously watching him smiling down the barrel of the camera at our expense.

Not today. Today we drew a line in the sand and sounded out a warning that we will not allow anyone to walk into our house, wipe their muddy shoes on the floor, try to take what is ours and somehow expect us to pay for the privilege. I admit I was coming around to the idea of getting a pair of first-rounders to trade up to #2, but at what cost? The entitled vultures would surely continue to circle down in greater numbers, armed with promises of brighter marquee lights and surf coast allotments.

I think keeping Dunkley is going to mean so much more in days to come, but even today I think it added some extra sting to the punch.

Get out of our house.

bornadog
13-11-2020, 12:11 AM
My initial thoughts mirror many here: it was a super trade period and Sam Power has done an amazing job to bring in who he has, without giving up almost anything, and strengthening (not compromising) our position to get JUH (without having to pay for it well into 2021's picks).

BUT...

...When the dust settles, I think this draft period is going to mean so much more. I think today could become another part of the rich tapestry of line in the sand moments for our club.

We have precariously trapezed the precipice of extinction. We have fought through crippling debt and a 'Grapes of Wrath' competition skewed to position the big clubs; in it's desperate, short-sighted grab for quick cash. We've fought against red tape, inequity, condescension.

We've been here before not so long ago and predictably buckled at the hands of Dodoro. We've had to convince ourselves we've done ok while simultaneously watching him smiling down the barrel of the camera at our expense.

Not today. Today we drew a line in the sand and sounded out a warning that we will not allow anyone to walk into our house, wipe their muddy shoes on the floor, try to take what is ours and somehow expect us to pay for the privilege. I admit I was coming around to the idea of getting a pair of first-rounders to trade up to #2, but at what cost? The entitled vultures would surely continue to circle down in greater numbers, armed with promises of brighter marquee lights and surf coast allotments.

I think keeping Dunkley is going to mean so much more in days to come, but even today I think it added some extra sting to the punch.

Get out of our house.

We also proved, A grade players don't mind calling home the VU Whitten Oval

The Bulldogs Bite
13-11-2020, 12:19 AM
On another note, listening to both Jaidyn Stephenson and Ned Guy speak - WTF is wrong with Collingwood!?

I get that mistakes were made and they found themselves in a salary cap hole, but JS had to ring Buckley to ask if he was being traded/why and Ned Guy is spinning BS about wanting to get into the draft and improve their list?

I've never seen anything so diabolical. That club is treating their members with contempt.

If I was a Pies fan, I'd want the truth. Mistakes were made, we needed to clear space so that we can refresh the list and go again.

It's astounding how bad they've handled this.

Bulldog4life
13-11-2020, 12:24 AM

To me Tim is a good overhead mark.

bulldogtragic
13-11-2020, 12:25 AM
Wasn’t easy to listen to. JS sounds like any 22yo bloke and his head was spinning. He sounded sincere, so if true, that’s putrid from Collingwood. Sounds like Treloar got similar treatment. Luckily for us it’s fired him up and has Bevo to focus him and support him. Something he hasn’t had for a while.

comrade
13-11-2020, 12:28 AM
Pies fans are upset and angry over what went down today and so they should be. They needed to get their cap in order, fine. But the way they've trashed their players on the way out and then tried to spin it by saying they want to go to the draft just seems so disingenuous.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something very, very bad going on with their salary cap and today was an attempt to try and escape the wrath of the AFL.

bulldogtragic
13-11-2020, 12:30 AM
Pies fans are upset and angry over what went down today and so they should be. They needed to get their cap in order, fine. But the way they've trashed their players on the way out and then tried to spin it by saying they want to go to the draft just seems so disingenuous.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something very, very bad going on with their salary cap and today was an attempt to try and escape the wrath of the AFL.

It’s ok. They’ve still got Cox on $5,000,000 a season.

Vred
13-11-2020, 12:32 AM

BUT...

Get out of our house.

Hellijuia brother, sing it.

If we bring the heat on field next year we are really in a chance to grow the club, now we're attracting A+ Talent, number 1 draft pick, club needs to get aggressive with pushing memberships, I want to see us break 50k and start aiming at 60k in the next 2-3 years, and another flag would help that.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-11-2020, 12:33 AM

Might be onto something.

It's just so bizarre how they've treated their players and tried to cover it up.

Will be interesting to hear Treloar speak, he's usually very honest and a 'heart on the sleeve' type of guy.

I don't mind Collingwood. They are a big club, but I don't find them nonsensical like Essendon/Carlton etc. They'll eventually bounce back but geez, this is a pretty dark day for them.

Happy Days
13-11-2020, 12:43 AM
Listening to Guy was so weird. He was talking up their improved draft hand because of picks like 14 (that they gave up Treloar and a swag of picks to get and isn't a zero chance to get spent on their academy kid) and next year's first that they already had.

They've done unbelievably poorly with their assets here and this will really hurt them for a while.

comrade
13-11-2020, 12:45 AM
Listening to Guy was so weird. He was talking up their improved draft hand because of picks like 14 (that they gave up Treloar and a swag of picks to get and isn't a zero chance to get spent on their academy kid) and next year's first that they already had.

They've done unbelievably poorly with their assets here and this will really hurt them for a while.

It comes across as a cover up for some cooked books, which they obviously can’t admit publicly.

Ghost Dog
13-11-2020, 01:24 AM
Oh well, not short of mids are we!
Well done Dogs. Never wanted to lose Dunks.

Excuse my ignorance, but who is JUH?

Vred
13-11-2020, 01:26 AM

the next Buddy Franklin if you want to believe the media, superstar draft pick and all ours because his an academy pick.

Grantysghost
13-11-2020, 07:23 AM

This is a good recent story about him GD.

https://www.standard.net.au/story/6960295/draft-diamond-why-jamarra-is-rated-no1/

Grantysghost
13-11-2020, 07:28 AM
It comes across as a cover up for some cooked books, which they obviously can’t admit publicly.

I wonder if they are clearing space for a big play next year?
Clubs are usually into guys well in advance; Geelong had been working on Cameron for a couple of years.
Let's see how Josh Kelly plays this season.

GVGjr
13-11-2020, 07:35 AM
While I have been so pleased with what we have achieved this trade period here are some reasons why I can't rate it anywhere near perfect

We had a strong midfield, one of the better ones in the competition, and we have further added to that strength. If playing time in the midfield was an issue for Dunkley that hasn't improved for him or any of the other first string midfielders

Until we get an idea on how much Collingwood is contributing to the Treloar deal we might have a problem down the track

We haven't quite addressed our need for a quality key position defender. On pure numbers, Keath, Gardner, Cordy, Young and maybe still Trengove should be sufficient but I think most of us would have appreciated another KPD

I've been a big fan of Stef Martin and the trade makes sense on so many levels by balancing our commitment to English being our number 1 ruckman going forward and providing he and Sweet some much needed support but how confident are we that Bevo will play two first string ruckman?

With the increased midfield depth will opportunities dry up for the likes of Rhylee West?

Great night, a lot of excitement and some perfectly executed deals but we still have some question marks with the list and we will be reliant on natural development of many on the list

Opportunities for the likes of

AshMac
13-11-2020, 08:08 AM
Trade period rating: 7/10. Outstanding result for us with Stef Martin and Treloar coming to the dogs and us standing our ground and sending a message to the league and all contracted players. It would be a 10/10 if we got 2 first round (one next year) for Dunks

Sam “king of trade week” Power: 9/10. You really can’t fault this guy, he is composed, intelligent and effective - he has found his footy calling card. Another great trade period for him and I feel he’s taken a big step forward in building a reputation as a hard, fair and consistent negotiator.

jazzadogs
13-11-2020, 08:17 AM
We came into the trade period with one of the most unique positions of all sides. We had immense bargaining power across all negotiations, due to the fact that high picks meant nothing - I think Essendon would have been hoping for a Treloar style trade for Dunkley i.e. give us a some junk 20-30s picks for points, but not have to pay anything that mattered to them. I am grateful for Power not falling into their dirty little trap.

Another sidenote, I think we were absolutely talking to North/others about trading down to pick 2 if the Dunkley deal had gone through. I am confident that is why we held out and would not accept less - because North (or other) said they would only accept 6 and 7 for pick 2.

jazzadogs
13-11-2020, 08:18 AM
There have also been suggestions that Essendon should now trade 6 + 7 for 2, so that they can ABSOLUTELY OWN US by bidding on Jamarra. It would really teach us a lesson, as we match with a bunch of picks in the 20s, 30s and beyond.

Bulldog4life
13-11-2020, 08:25 AM
You have to give Sammy a 9/10. He was resolute and a no BS negotiator who says what he means. The last 2 drafts has shown us has valuable he has become for our club.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-11-2020, 09:25 AM
I wonder whether there is another less tangible but equally important benefit to come out of the trade period.

There has been repeated speculation that part of the reason Dunks wanted out was down to his perception that there are elements within the playing group that lack the professional standards required to be a top AFL side.

I don't think that given our performances since the flag, that is an unreasonable likelihood.

With Dunks coming back into the fold now, there is potentially an elephant not just standing in the room, but out front twerking...
It must surely get addressed.
Maybe this sparks a very needed conversation amongst the group? Maybe this is the thing that sparks a real introspection and recommitment to the cause?
It will be instructive perhaps to see whether Dunks is still in the leadership group next year, that's for sure.

Mofra
13-11-2020, 09:31 AM
With Dunks coming back into the fold now, there is potentially an elephant not just standing in the room, but out front twerking...
Stef Martin and Adam Treloar help that for sure - both have reputations for being meticulous in preparation.

I'd admit I hoped we got a little extra coverage in the back half, so it's a big pre-season for Lewie Young and Ryan Gardner to battle it out for one spot. We may just go shorter and use Cordy as a CHB if Wood & Crozier get back to their intercepting best.

The Dunks leadership group thing is an interesting one, agree.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2020, 09:39 AM
I wonder whether there is another less tangible but equally important benefit to come out of the trade period.

There has been repeated speculation that part of the reason Dunks wanted out was down to his perception that there are elements within the playing group that lack the professional standards required to be a top AFL side.

I don't think that given our performances since the flag, that is an unreasonable likelihood.

It must surely get addressed.
Maybe this sparks a very needed conversation amongst the group? Maybe this is the thing that sparks a real introspection and recommitment to the cause?
It will be instructive perhaps to see whether Dunks is still in the leadership group next year, that's for sure.

Surely with Dunks being in the leadership group he would have already tried this before seeking a trade. If his first option is to bail and run then he shouldn’t be in the leadership group anyway.

Happy Days
13-11-2020, 09:48 AM
There have also been suggestions that Essendon should now trade 6 + 7 for 2, so that they can ABSOLUTELY OWN US by bidding on Jamarra. It would really teach us a lesson, as we match with a bunch of picks in the 20s, 30s and beyond.

That thought did occur to me. If my understanding of this draft is correct (that there are 3 guys heaps better than everyone else and we have dibs on one) then it probably would be the right move, but you could bet the house on a bid coming if they do.

However, if North trade out of pick 2 after years of bitching about not being able to land a superstar then they probably should be made to hand the keys back.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2020, 09:53 AM
North would be stupid to trade pick 2. It’s going to be interesting to see what Adelaide do at 1. Ignoring JUH here, there are two highly rated forwards, one from WA and another from SA. The one from WA should go no 1. He came 3rd in the WAFL goal kicking as an U18. But do the crows go local? It’ll be interesting but north would want to pounce with the next pick. At picks 6,7,8 or whatever it’s a crap shoot when zero games have been played this year in Victoria.

bulldogtragic
13-11-2020, 09:54 AM

If that makes them feel better... Don't tell any Essendon knobs that we have 2,321 points and a bid at Pick 2 is 2,015 points after discount.

Oh no. We only get JUH and have enough points to take MacPherson & Raak if we want them... I feel so owned Essendon. Oh, so you wanted the best KPF in the draft and couldn't get him. Who owns who now, bitch? (Jesse Pinkman voice)

comrade
13-11-2020, 09:59 AM
Here's an assortment of Essington supporter reactions via Bomber Blitz the morning after the trade period.

Enjoy the salty, salty tears *chef's kiss*

How ■■■■■■ off would Dunkley be?

Already was lacking in midfield time as is. Then a deal is agreed to which would see him get to Essendon in main man inside mid role with a huge payrise. Only for Dogs to change their minds on it last day and still go and bring Treloar in decreasing his midfield time more.

If this second trade period window eventuates def a strong chance still. He’d be livid. Clearly Pies are happy to move on their future first so the pick split for 16 & future 1st could make it happen.

Yep. Dogs just mucking around.

Scored Treloar who didn’t want to leave Collingwood

Kept Dunkley who didn’t want to be there due to lack of midfield time.

Going to be a challenge for them next year.

Dogs have put themselves in the doghouse for years to come with their backflip on three way deal that was basically agreed on Wednesday night. Goes to prove the old adage that you should never deal with people that you do not trust.

Still way behind, but is the media narrative that the Bulldogs somehow “win” this period?

They got a cooked 35 yo, a journeyman, and a late 20a mid whose kicking is questionable (although Treloar for free is a good deal).

They managed to disillusion one of their better young players, and missed out on what was an opportunity to get a leg up on next year’s draft. JUH is a draft pick. He looks good, but they already had him.

If Essendon did the same deals it would be:

Why the FK are we getting Martin and Hannan : Sack Power

How did we get to the point where Dunkley wants out, what is going on behind the scenes. Nothing is going to change in the next 12 months and we missed out on getting pick 2 + extras next year. Power should be sacked

JUH looks good, but we’re not getting anyone else in the draft. Putting off the rebuild again. Where are we getting a KPD? And the ruck support for English once Martin breaks down?

This in is fked. Sack Sam Power

The Bulldogs Bite
13-11-2020, 10:05 AM
Can you imagine when we next play Essendon? Cast a thought what our midfield has done to them the last 2 times we played them, remind yourself they've since got weaker whilst we added a top 10 mid.

Should we ask them now what their safe word is?

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2020, 10:07 AM
Oh my. It’s like reading comments from Trump supporters. You really do realise how manipulated by the media they are. They actually believed we backflipped on dealing Dunkley and that we somehow could have gotten pick 2 with pick 8 and a second rounder.

bulldogtragic
13-11-2020, 10:10 AM
Scott Tenorman.

bornadog
13-11-2020, 10:15 AM
Hilarious stuff. What I have read on social media, is they all think Dunks was not worth two first rounders and we were being unreasonable. They forget Dunkley is under contract.

Mofra
13-11-2020, 10:15 AM
North would be stupid to trade pick 2. It’s going to be interesting to see what Adelaide do at 1. Ignoring JUH here, there are two highly rated forwards, one from WA and another from SA. The one from WA should go no 1. He came 3rd in the WAFL goal kicking as an U18. But do the crows go local? It’ll be interesting but north would want to pounce with the next pick. At picks 6,7,8 or whatever it’s a crap shoot when zero games have been played this year in Victoria.
Logan McDonald apparently has family in SA. If he's the best kid available you pick him and back yourself in.

Makes North's choice interesting at pick 2 - do they go Thilthorpe (flight risk) or Hollands (ACL risk) or look elsewhere?

Mofra
13-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Hilarious stuff. What I have read on social media, is they all think Dunks was not worth two first rounders and we were being unreasonable. They forget Dunkley is under contract.
A year after turning down what was pick 9 in 2019 and pick 3 in 2020 for Daniher.

I'm really glad we stood firm. It worked for the Swans with Papley (and O'Keefe back in the day). Stef Martin means Dunkley won't be playing any ruck next year.

Grantysghost
13-11-2020, 10:23 AM
We all see things from our own perspective, but that's the ultimate salty circle of self gratification.
The Dons media have fed them "alternative facts" for so long now they can't tell their Thymosin from their Metamucil.
Sad!

Ghost Dog
13-11-2020, 10:24 AM
This is a good recent story about him GD.

https://www.standard.net.au/story/6960295/draft-diamond-why-jamarra-is-rated-no1/

Thanks! Wow from Framlingham. That's pretty cool. South Western District lad.
Warrnambool have bred some good champs.
Like his highlights reel. A player you can put anywhere on the ground really, like Bont.

bornadog
13-11-2020, 02:13 PM
Sam Power on Trade Radio last night - listen here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/835878/bulldogs-radio-sam-power-on-afl-trade-radio-nov-12th?videoId=835878&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1605215158001)

choconmientay
13-11-2020, 05:16 PM
Chris Doerre's ratings for all clubs (https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/30300966/afl-2020-trade-period-free-agency-every-club-moves-rated)

Western Bulldogs
In: Adam Treloar, Stefan Martin, Mitch Hannan, picks 26, 33, 42
Out: Lachie Young, picks 14 and Western Bulldogs 2021 2nd and 3rd round picks
2020 draft picks: 26, 33, 41, 42, 54, 90
Grade: A+
Rationale: The Dogs have bragging rights for what is arguably the most lopsided trade in recent memory, taking advantage of the opportunity to add Adam Treloar at a bargain-basement price, just one year after he achieved the fifth most disposals in a season in AFL/VFL history. With the addition of Treloar, the Dogs have an embarrassment of riches through the midfield, with the only question being how they will all receive the midfield minutes they each will be demanding.

The bonus from this trade, which makes it all the more incredible for the Dogs, is the number of well-positioned picks in this year's draft which will help towards securing the potentially generational talent in Jamarra Ugle-Hagan through their Next Generation Academy.

The addition of Stefan Martin gives the Dogs a strong choice to mentor the still-developing Tim English and adds valuable veteran leadership. Adding Martin for the low price of still developing player in Lachie Young is a strong move and shows their commitment to improving now.

The Roar's ratings (https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/11/13/afl-trades-2020-report-card-every-club-graded/)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

No club was more agile in this year’s trade period than the Western Bulldogs who worked their way through a surprise trade request from Josh Dunkley and put themselves in position to be the beneficiaries when Collingwood unexpectedly pushed out Adam Treloar.

In my view the Bulldogs made the right move by refusing to budge on their demand of two early selections for Dunkley. It would’ve been overs, sure, but for a contracted player they have every right to set the price as they please – and say no if not satisfied.

Treloar is a genuinely exciting recruit, and one that they were not only able to get at a very cheap price, but in doing the deal also successfully secured some crucial pick swaps that will make it much easier to match a draft bid on academy prospect Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

The potential problem is that one plus one does not always equal two, and while their list of midfield names now looks seriously sexy on paper it remains unclear just how they will strike the right balance on the field.

Dunkley’s trade request, after all, was motivated at least in part by a frustration with a lack of midfield time – something that isn’t suddenly going to become more richly available at the Bulldogs after adding another prolific on-baller.

I’m not convinced as yet that all of these puzzle pieces will fit together, but if they do it will be something to behold – and I love the audacity.

Grade: B

macca
14-11-2020, 04:59 AM

Dear David king
I just wonder in 5 years time if we win a premiership , how chuffed we feel that Collingwood contributed $1.5 million for an A trade midfielder? I will personally thank Bucks.

I don’t care what these clowns say . We got a bargain , and the pies are going to still be paying for the next 5 years !

Rocket Science
18-11-2020, 03:09 PM
Oh my, THIS (https://twitter.com/HKdos/status/1328820458528022528?s=20) is glorious.

https://i.ibb.co/SVYzpbS/Screen-Shot-2020-11-18-at-2-08-11-pm.png (https://ibb.co/6D9k5zQ)

bulldogtragic
24-04-2021, 10:19 AM
Reviewed after 6 Games;

Kept Dunkley. Was improved again until the injury.
Martin. Old bull and English forward doing really well.
Treloar. Given $1.5M, got a shitload of points to avoid deficit. Right now looking like costs a pick in the 30’s-40’s. Insane.
Hannan. 3 goals on debut in the VFL.
Still have our first rounder this year.
(Secured Jamarra at Pick 1)

Dunkley, Martin (English forward) & Treloar pivotal in 6-0 & 175.3%

10/10

(Don’t tell the Hun that Essendon didn’t win it)

Topdog
24-04-2021, 02:38 PM
Reading that Roar review again is good as well.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 09:16 AM
Brought in Treloar, Hannan & Martin. All likely playing in the GF, and cost combined is virtually nothing. Sam Power walking a bit taller, not that he needs to.

These guys clearly made the right call to leave to come to us. As did Duryea, Schache & Keath. (Same with Juice, poor bugger)

bulldogtragic
16-09-2021, 10:16 AM
Brought in Treloar, Hannan & Martin. All likely playing in the GF, and cost combined is virtually nothing. Sam Power walking a bit taller, not that he needs to.

These guys clearly made the right call to leave to come to us. As did Duryea, Schache & Keath. (Same with Juice, poor bugger)

How cool is that we will have Treloar & Hannan playing in the Grand Final and we haven’t paid the Draft Picks for them yet. Has to be the best ever Afterpay purchase ever.