PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Trade Target/s

Pages : [1] 2

bulldogtragic
14-11-2020, 11:48 PM
We don’t have a huge amount of cap, so probably a kid is the go.

A KPD seems the need.

=

Fischer McAsey (Western Bulldogs Super Fan)
Adelaide Crows - Drafted Pick 6, 2019
10 Games in 2020
KPD
197cm
91kg
Likened in his draft year to Aaron Naughton

I can’t see that he’s extended his rookie contract. We have our 2021 First Rounder and futures and anything from any player trade outs. It’ll cost a bit of trade capital to get done, but nothing we couldn’t get done if we are into his ear from now onwards. I’m sure joining ‘his club’ in a premiership window with the view to good money once some retirements kick in is a nice attainable dream for him.

Anyone else that should we should be targeting?

bornadog
15-11-2020, 12:21 AM
2021 - Out of contract players listed here (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players?year=2021)

AshMac
15-11-2020, 07:21 AM
2021 - Out of contract players listed here (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players?year=2021)

I had to do a double take in Thomas Liberatore for a second to figure out who he was....

ledge
15-11-2020, 07:45 AM
I wonder if we made a goodwill promise to the pies to give them ED Richards next year.
I am sure clubs do things like that in situations like this.
We got Treloar for a steal but you don’t want to burn bridges later on.
We have an excellent repore with Collingwood, they have helped us a lot over the years.
The fans might hate each other but the actual clubs are extremely close.
Let’s face it a lot of clubs turned Treloar down for the salary reason, I believe Collingwood came to the party with us and agreed to pay a little extra of the salary because it was us and we probably have someone they want next year .
Watch this space.

Happy Days
15-11-2020, 12:19 PM
We don’t have a huge amount of cap, so probably a kid is the go.

A KPD seems the need.

=

Fischer McAsey (Western Bulldogs Super Fan)
Adelaide Crows - Drafted Pick 6, 2019
10 Games in 2020
KPD
197cm
91kg
Likened in his draft year to Aaron Naughton

I can’t see that he’s extended his rookie contract. We have our 2021 First Rounder and futures and anything from any player trade outs. It’ll cost a bit of trade capital to get done, but nothing we couldn’t get done if we are into his ear from now onwards. I’m sure joining ‘his club’ in a premiership window with the view to good money once some retirements kick in is a nice attainable dream for him.

Anyone else that should we should be targeting?

I raised trying to nab McAsey this year. No way he’s stoked to be away from home on the worst team in the comp getting swung forward or back depending on how self-conscious Tex is feeling. I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him in pretty trying circumstances.

azabob
15-11-2020, 12:48 PM
I raised trying to nab McAsey this year. No way he’s stoked to be away from home on the worst team in the comp getting swung forward or back depending on how self-conscious Tex is feeling. I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him in pretty trying circumstances.

So your saying you failed twice? Goldstein and McAsey. I think you need another year of mentoring from BT before you take over the reigns.
Sorry BT your needed for another season.

Vred
15-11-2020, 02:01 PM
I wonder if we made a goodwill promise to the pies to give them ED Richards next year.
I am sure clubs do things like that in situations like this.
We got Treloar for a steal but you don’t want to burn bridges later on.
We have an excellent repore with Collingwood, they have helped us a lot over the years.
The fans might hate each other but the actual clubs are extremely close.
Let’s face it a lot of clubs turned Treloar down for the salary reason, I believe Collingwood came to the party with us and agreed to pay a little extra of the salary because it was us and we probably have someone they want next year .
Watch this space.

I second this feeling, mostly because I listen to Darcy and Eddie on the hot breakfast every morning and those two seem to talk very highly of eachothers clubs, Eddie does have a very big soft-spot for us, something I've noticed when he talks about us.

I know Ed Richards will probably end up at Collingwood, question is if it's next year or further on down the track.

Bulldog4life
15-11-2020, 02:25 PM

Hopefully we can get the Bont signed sooner than later.

Bullies
15-11-2020, 04:42 PM
Hopefully we can get the Bont signed sooner than later. Bailey Williams is the other one that Adelaide will throw everything at to get him home. We need to sign him up sooner than later.

Sedat
15-11-2020, 07:55 PM
I'd like us to have a look at Majak Daw as a DFA. We do need insurance in key defensive stocks and Daw can also pinch hit in ruck or up forward if we have a spate of injuries in those areas during the season. If not Daw, then Mitch Brown if he isn't being offered a new contract at the Dees. Would prefer to rookie either of them if a rookie spot is available.

Both Daw and Brown are AFL standard key position utilities - they aren't world beaters but they have more runs on the board than some of the senior players on our list in 2021, and they wouldn't be overawed if given a senior call-up. At worst they would be a good influence to have on our VFL players.

AshMac
15-11-2020, 08:08 PM
Bailey Williams is the other one that Adelaide will throw everything at to get him home. We need to sign him up sooner than later.

Yep - I read Adelaide were right into him in 2017. Another year like this year and he will be a huge target.

GVGjr
15-11-2020, 10:03 PM
I'd like us to have a look at Majak Daw as a DFA. We do need insurance in key defensive stocks and Daw can also pinch hit in ruck or up forward if we have a spate of injuries in those areas during the season. If not Daw, then Mitch Brown if he isn't being offered a new contract at the Dees. Would prefer to rookie either of them if a rookie spot is available.

Both Daw and Brown are AFL standard key position utilities - they aren't world beaters but they have more runs on the board than some of the senior players on our list in 2021, and they wouldn't be overawed if given a senior call-up. At worst they would be a good influence to have on our VFL players.

I don't mind the suggestions but wouldn't Trengove be at least as good as or perhaps even a better prospect that Daw in the back line and a more versatile option than Brown in terms of being able to help out in the ruck?

The Doctor
15-11-2020, 10:16 PM
I reckon we hit the draft in 2021 & keep our powder dry for 2022. Thats when Ben King & Isaac Rankine come out of contract.

Axe Man
22-04-2021, 11:28 AM
DO THE DOGS CONTINUE KEY BACK CHASE?

IF THERE is any question on the Western Bulldogs' list as it sits atop the ladder after five rounds, it is the club's stocks of key defenders.

Injuries to Ryan Gardner and now Bailey Williams, who has been used as a third tall backman this season, have hit at the depth of that department on the club's list. Premiership player Zaine Cordy has been playing in the VFL, while Lewis Young was recently called up for a return to senior action.

So will the Dogs look at replenishing that department again through this year's trade and free agency market?

Last year the Bulldogs had an interest in underutilised Brisbane defender Jack Payne but nothing eventuated as he stayed with the Lions where he is contracted until the end of 2022.

But there are also other key defensive options around the AFL who remain out of contract who could appeal. Among the free agency list, Richmond's David Astbury, North Melbourne's Robbie Tarrant, Essendon's Patrick Ambrose and Geelong's Jake Kolodjashnij remain without deals for next year at this stage.

Of other unsigned key backs around Adelaide youngster Fischer McAsey has a contract offer in front of him but has Victorian clubs monitoring him, while teammate Tom Doedee is negotiating a new deal with the Crows.

Versatile West Coast tall Jarrod Brander, who was on the trade table last year, is out of contract at the end of this season while St Kilda veteran Jake Carlisle's one-year deal finishes at the end of this season.

Gun defender Darcy Moore, signed until 2022 but one of this year's key pre-agents, was on the radar of the Bulldogs in 2019 a year before his previous deal ended with Collingwood. – Callum Twomey and Mitch Cleary

Link (https://www.afl.com.au/news/599147/-binga-deal-close-will-dogs-hunt-a-key-back-)

Happy Days
22-04-2021, 11:34 AM
Is McAsey even good? I was thinking the Crows weren’t playing him out of spite but his stats in the SANFL suggest otherwise.

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Is McAsey even good? I was thinking the Crows weren’t playing him out of spite but his stats in the SANFL suggest otherwise.

Is he getting bags kicked on him, or just not racking up stats?

Happy Days
22-04-2021, 12:24 PM
Is he getting bags kicked on him, or just not racking up stats?

He appears to be playing in defence, where he most recently had 8 touches in a game where the other team kicked 155 points. It doesn’t look great.

comrade
22-04-2021, 12:27 PM
He appears to be playing in defence, where he most recently had 8 touches in a game where the other team kicked 155 points. It doesn’t look great.

Adelaide's SANFL side stinks and it seems like McAsey has checked out. Not a great combo.

bulldogtragic
22-04-2021, 12:33 PM
Adelaide's SANFL side stinks and it seems like McAsey has checked out. Not a great combo.

Great combo for trading for him on the cheap.

Vred
22-04-2021, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't touch McAsey unless we got him for cheap (Re: nothing).
Need another tall down back, and a natural crumber up forward, that's it. Would love to be able to lure Moore away from the Pies but we'd need to move out some cap space to do that, probably try to get JJ's dumb 700k a year contract off our books at that point.

DOG GOD
22-04-2021, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't touch McAsey unless we got him for cheap (Re: nothing).
Need another tall down back, and a natural crumber up forward, that's it. Would love to be able to lure Moore away from the Pies but we'd need to move out some cap space to do that, probably try to get JJ's dumb 700k a year contract off our books at that point.

Geez imagine Moore in this team. I agree, a key back (someone ideally to take the BIG fwds) and a quick small fwd is pretty much all we need right now. Not sold on McAsey to be honest. Would he be Schache mark II? Has he got that psychical edge that Schache doesn’t?

FrediKanoute
22-04-2021, 09:56 PM
I second this feeling, mostly because I listen to Darcy and Eddie on the hot breakfast every morning and those two seem to talk very highly of eachothers clubs, Eddie does have a very big soft-spot for us, something I've noticed when he talks about us.

I know Ed Richards will probably end up at Collingwood, question is if it's next year or further on down the track.

Is Ed Richards what Collingwood need?

chef
22-04-2021, 10:23 PM
Jamara to the forward line and move Naughton back.

bornadog
22-04-2021, 10:24 PM
Jamara to the forward line and move Naughton back.

No thanks on Naughty

Hotdog60
22-04-2021, 11:05 PM
Naughton will apply 15 times the amount of pressure than Jamara at this stage anyway.

Vred
23-04-2021, 01:33 AM

I'd be moving JJ on first and playing Ed in his spot before I even considered getting rid of Ed.

jeemak
23-04-2021, 02:19 AM
Ed Richards if on the market has to go for a top twenty pick - minimum. He's a former pick sixteen, and isn't getting a game because he's injured. The guy has played 94% of the games he's been available for as a senior player at our club.

Irrespective of output he's pretty much played every week he's been available in his first three years at the club. The coaching staff clearly rate what he does, and he plays where he's told to forward or back. When he's fit he'll be playing in front of McNeil, Scott and possibly JJ and one or two others.

This is what pisses me off about this type of "analysis". The reason he isn't getting a game is because he's injured, but because he's not getting a game he's all of a sudden someone we should ship off somewhere else? It's crap.

The mere thought of shipping him off for McAsey makes me ill.

GVGjr
23-04-2021, 07:39 AM
Ed Richards if on the market has to go for a top twenty pick - minimum. He's a former pick sixteen, and isn't getting a game because he's injured. The guy has played 94% of the games he's been available for as a senior player at our club.

Irrespective of output he's pretty much played every week he's been available in his first three years at the club. The coaching staff clearly rate what he does, and he plays where he's told to forward or back. When he's fit he'll be playing in front of McNeil, Scott and possibly JJ and one or two others.

This is what pisses me off about this type of "analysis". The reason he isn't getting a game is because he's injured, but because he's not getting a game he's all of a sudden someone we should ship off somewhere else? It's crap.

Excellent points raised Jeemak but the telling part for Richards in his decision making will be if he believes he is going to get a regular senior game with us given how we are playing and if he thinks we are playing him in his best position.

I still like our chances of keeping him but he will have a lot to consider.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-04-2021, 08:20 AM
Naughton will apply 15 times the amount of pressure than Jamara at this stage anyway.

Yep. 100%. Jamarra is a massive talent, but until he's able to work harder for 4 Qtrs, he'd be a big liability in our forward line. At the start of the 4th qtr last night he looked gassed, and was playing behind his man.

Mofra
23-04-2021, 10:40 AM
Not with Quaynor there and Crisp being indestructable.
I can see Hawthorn chasing Ed.

Mofra
23-04-2021, 10:41 AM
I'd be moving JJ on first and playing Ed in his spot before I even considered getting rid of Ed.
JJ stays in the game longer right now based on experience but he's not the $600k pa player we signed him up for.

1eyedog
23-04-2021, 10:44 AM

I stopped reading after 'The Herald Sun understands'.

The Doctor
23-04-2021, 10:46 AM
Theres a bit of a copy & paste feel about this article talking about us being in the hunt for a key defender

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-trade-news-whispers-latest-free-agents-contracts-changkouth-jiath-western-bulldogs/news-story/a77e6ac5ae1dd9ca560105ef1d9a672d

Darcy Moore would be a dream come true but how could we uproot him and at what cost & how does he fit into our structured salary cap system.

1eyedog
23-04-2021, 10:57 AM
Theres a bit of a copy & paste feel about this article talking about us being in the hunt for a key defender

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-trade-news-whispers-latest-free-agents-contracts-changkouth-jiath-western-bulldogs/news-story/a77e6ac5ae1dd9ca560105ef1d9a672d

Darcy Moore would be a dream come true but how could we uproot him and at what cost & how does he fit into our structured salary cap system.

Yeah Moore would be good but highly unlikely. David Astbury (30) and Robbie Tarrant (31) are injury riddled and just about cooked, Ambrose has never shown enough at AFL level and Kolodashnij is an ok player but undersized. Wouldn't think we would bother.

The Doctor
23-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Yeah Moore would be good but highly unlikely. David Astbury (30) and Robbie Tarrant (31) are injury riddled and just about cooked, Ambrose has never shown enough at AFL level and Kolodashnij is an ok player but undersized. Wouldn't think we would bother.

Phil Davis GWS is a free agent this year. Will turn 31 & might have a couple of years in him. I don't mind Kolodashnij.

Mantis
23-04-2021, 11:16 AM
Not with Quaynor there and Crisp being indestructable.
I can see Hawthorn chasing Ed.

Collingwood are playing Magden on a wing :eek:... Richards is very much the type of player need having given away all their runners.

And isn't Crisp now playing as a mid?

Mofra
23-04-2021, 12:01 PM
Phil Davis GWS is a free agent this year. Will turn 31 & might have a couple of years in him. I don't mind Kolodashnij.
I can't see a GWS player coming to us anytime soon, especially a senior player.
Kolo isn't big enough to play as a no 2 KPD.

I asked Essendon fans about Ambrose and one offered to cover the uber fare to WO. We may just be better off scouring state leagues.

Mofra
23-04-2021, 12:02 PM
Collingwood are playing Magden on a wing :eek:... Richards is very much the type of player need having given away all their runners.

And isn't Crisp now playing as a mid?
I'm not sure Crisp stays in the midfield when Adams comes back, although Pendles won't last forever and Crisp is ridiculously durable.

Ed has the family connection to Collingwood but who knows what their list managers are doing anymore.

Mantis
23-04-2021, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure Crisp stays in the midfield when Adams comes back, although Pendles won't last forever and Crisp is ridiculously durable.

Ed has the family connection to Collingwood but who knows what their list managers are doing anymore.

Crisp was in the midfield before Adams left the team.. well he was in the games I have watched of them, which isn't a heap TBH.

Vred
23-04-2021, 07:51 PM
JJ stays in the game longer right now based on experience but he's not the $600k pa player we signed him up for.

Yep, I hope we shop him around at the end of this season, his contract is such a waste for us.

FrediKanoute
23-04-2021, 11:52 PM
I can't see a GWS player coming to us anytime soon, especially a senior player.
Kolo isn't big enough to play as a no 2 KPD.

I asked Essendon fans about Ambrose and one offered to cover the uber fare to WO. We may just be better off scouring state leagues.

Do we really need another tall defender? I mean tonight we had Zaine and Keath with Wood playing the midsized tall. We have Gardner injured, Lewy Young in the 2's and Bhuku Khamis developing. I'm not convinced its as bad as we think.

DOG GOD
24-04-2021, 12:41 PM
Do we really need another tall defender? I mean tonight we had Zaine and Keath with Wood playing the midsized tall. We have Gardner injured, Lewy Young in the 2's and Bhuku Khamis developing. I'm not convinced its as bad as we think.

We need an “A” grader key defender to compliment Keath, so Keath can play that interceptor role like Lever.

Cordy is almost done for mine...very much treading water
Not at all convinced Gardner is any better than VFL
Lew Young has no confidence in himself or from the match committee
Khamis is still a little unknown having not played a game.

Keath is almost our most important player right now.

bornadog
24-04-2021, 02:50 PM
We need an “A” grader key defender to compliment Keath, so Keath can play that interceptor role like Lever.

Cordy is almost done for mine...very much treading water
Not at all convinced Gardner is any better than VFL
Lew Young has no confidence in himself or from the match committee
Khamis is still a little unknown having not played a game.

Keath is almost our most important player right now.

Khamis is not a key defender at 189cm, so agree we do need a Key defender to take on the Lynches, Camerons, Hawkins types

Grantysghost
24-04-2021, 03:18 PM
Khamis is not a key defender at 189cm, so agree we do need a Key defender to take on the Lynches, Camerons, Hawkins types

So to unpack that statement "Khamis isnt a key defender" who in the league actually is?

Are they really still a prevelant position or is "key" now intercept?

For me Khamis is the poster boy for intercept defender. Can play tall or medium. Good skills, reads the play well.

The days of the big defender might be long gone.

Even guys like McGovern peel off and intercept space.

I do wonder whether the new rules will bring them back but it looks like the coaches have worked out how to quell them already.

GVGjr
24-04-2021, 05:14 PM
So to unpack that statement "Khamis isnt a key defender" who in the league actually is?

Are they really still a prevelant position or is "key" now intercept?

For me Khamis is the poster boy for intercept defender. Can play tall or medium. Good skills, reads the play well.

The days of the big defender might be long gone.

Even guys like McGovern peel off and intercept space.

I do wonder whether the new rules will bring them back but it looks like the coaches have worked out how to quell them already.

It will be interesting to see how Khamis develops this year. He might very well be slightly undersized as a key defender but his athleticism and ability to read the ball in the air and intercept make him an ideal 3rd tall defender. There are plenty of undersized players that can play tall and perhaps he is one of them.

bornadog
24-04-2021, 05:32 PM
It will be interesting to see how Khamis develops this year. He might very well be slightly undersized as a key defender but his athleticism and ability to read the ball in the air and intercept make him an ideal 3rd tall defender. There are plenty of undersized players that can play tall and perhaps he is one of them.

I think he will make it and as you say as a 3rd tall .

westbulldog
24-04-2021, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't think we could get Moore, how about Jacob Wetering ?

EasternWest
24-04-2021, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't think we could get Moore, how about Jacob Wetering ?

Yes please

bulldogtragic
25-04-2021, 06:32 PM
Crows reserves won.

McAsey had 17 touches, 9 marks. Named in the bests.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-04-2021, 06:49 PM
What’s McAseys height? Do we have an answer for Lynch, McKay and King in the coming weeks? Guys with height and mobility.

hujsh
25-04-2021, 07:00 PM
What’s McAseys height? Mod we have an answer for Lynch, McKay and King in the coming weeks? Guys with height and mobility.

197 according to the Adelaide site and we all know the AFL sites are accurate, consistent and up to date always

comrade
25-04-2021, 07:20 PM
What’s McAseys height? Do we have an answer for Lynch, McKay and King in the coming weeks? Guys with height and mobility.

Like every other game, stick Keath on them and don't let it down there much.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-04-2021, 07:32 PM
Like every other game, stick Keath on them and don't let it down there much.

I think this exposes our weakness really. This will be tough to do against the top teams. We’ve obviously done a terrific job up until now. The next few weeks will be a good test.

Keath is our most important player really at the moment. We are stuffed if he goes down.

jeemak
25-04-2021, 07:59 PM
197 according to the Adelaide site and we all know the AFL sites are accurate, consistent and up to date always

We could probably just say "end of story" now that it's been verified.

comrade
25-04-2021, 08:39 PM
Crows reserves won.

McAsey had 17 touches, 9 marks. Named in the bests.

Apparently his best game at any level since joining the Crows according to some SANFL watchers on BF.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2021, 08:53 PM
Apparently his best game at any level since joining the Crows according to some SANFL watchers on BF.

Looking forward to him in our colours in 5 months time.

comrade
29-04-2021, 10:40 AM
McAsey has re-signed with the Crows for 2 years.

hujsh
29-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Strange series of events. Maybe there was no interest in him so he decided to stay in SA?

Mofra
29-04-2021, 11:14 AM
Strange series of events. Maybe there was no interest in him so he decided to stay in SA?
Saints were going hard for him.

mjp
29-04-2021, 11:28 AM

The 'early' re-signing is a pretty popular one with most draftees. They are generally happy with their club and - even if they are interstate - most 19year olds are so enveloped within the footy club and surrounded by mates that the idea of another couple of years at significantly increased money is an easy sell versus the uncertainty of the draft (and hell, they just went through that which is how they ended up interstate in the first place), injury etc.

Like most draftees, McAsey is far more likely to leave if he is playing and playing well and all of the uncertainty of his 'new' situation is behind him. The only place he belongs right now is at the Adelaide Footy Club.

comrade
29-04-2021, 11:45 AM
The 'early' re-signing is a pretty popular one with most draftees. They are generally happy with their club and - even if they are interstate - most 19year olds are so enveloped within the footy club and surrounded by mates that the idea of another couple of years at significantly increased money is an easy sell versus the uncertainty of the draft (and hell, they just went through that which is how they ended up interstate in the first place), injury etc.

Like most draftees, McAsey is far more likely to leave if he is playing and playing well and all of the uncertainty of his 'new' situation is behind him. The only place he belongs right now is at the Adelaide Footy Club.

Why would they be concerned about the uncertainty of the draft - as in, Adelaide would refuse to do a deal and send him to the PSD?

comrade
02-05-2021, 04:08 PM
Ricciardi just had 19 marks for GWS reserves team playing in defence.

Fits the idea I love of turning ok/fringe key forwards into good defenders.

Bjorn A'Dog
02-05-2021, 09:02 PM
We should go hard at acquiring the right type of players. I'm liking what I hear about Sam Darcy but we need a lot of more class and athleticism. I'd target Bailey Fritsch who's lean and mobile and knows where the sticks are. Great kicking skills to so offer him a fortune. I don't think we could pry Nikolas Cox from Essendon but he would fit what Beveridge likes in players with his versatility. Long lean and good kicking skills we could play him all over the ground. Each year we need to bring in a player who can make an impact and I just about cry knowing we just missed on Pickett as he is Cyril like.

The Adelaide Connection
02-05-2021, 09:24 PM
Surely there are some teams starting to rub their hands together that Sexton isn’t getting a game for GC. Seems like something must be up or he must have been super terrible in the first few rounds. Hs usually always up there in their bests each week.

GVGjr
02-05-2021, 10:25 PM
Surely there are some teams starting to rub their hands together that Sexton isn’t getting a game for GC. Seems like something must be up or he must have been super terrible in the first few rounds. Hs usually always up there in their bests each week.

Makes sense. He seems to be a good enough footballer but for some reason he also seems to be surplus to their requirements.

jazzadogs
02-05-2021, 10:42 PM

I don't watch a lot of Suns games but he always struck me as a very selfish footballer. I don't think he fits our needs.

jazzadogs
02-05-2021, 10:42 PM
Re: tall defenders here's a list of 196cm plus defenders - no idea on contract status but just giving an idea of what's out there.

Adelaide: Jordan Butts (21yo, 198cm rookie), McAsey, Talia (29yo, on Bevo's shitlist)
Brisbane: Harris Andrews, Jack Payne (197cm 21yo). Dan Mcstay is 195cm but has had interest on here before.
Carlton: Liam Jones, Oscar McDonald, Jacob Weitering
Collingwood: Darcy Moore, Roughead (30, 200cm)
Essendon: ??? Zach Reid is a 201cm draftee, James Stewart and Hooker I suppose. Hurley only 192cm
Freo: Alex Pearce (injury prone but highly talented)
Geelong: Blicavs (30yo, 198cm), Henderson (31, 196cm)
GWS: Keeffe (31, 204cm), Phil Davis (30yo 197), Sam Taylor (21, 196cm, 93kg)
Hawthorn: Michael Hartley (27yo 198cm not getting a game)
Melbourne: Harrison Petty, Mitch Brown
Norf: Ben McKay (23, 201cm, 95kg), Josh Walker, Robbie Tarrant (32, 196cm)
Port: none over 196cm. Aliir Aliir is 195cm, Jarrod Lienert also 195cm.
Richmond: none over 196cm. Astbury is 195, Balta 194.
Saints: Carlisle (29, 200cm), Dougal Howard, Oscar Clavarino, Shaun McKernan
Sydney: Kaiden Brand (27yo, 198cm, 98kg). Other key defenders are Melican 195cm, McCartin 193cm. Sam Reid is 29 and 196cm.
West Coast: Harry Edwards (20yo 200cm rookie), Barrass, McGovern

We have Gardner, Keath and Young all at 197cm (and of course Schache at 199cm). Do any of those names interest us, as we have all been discussing the need for a monster defender to take the Dixon's and Lynch's? It is interesting to see that not many sides actually play a monster full back, and that across the competition that cupboard is quite bare.

I feel like if we're not getting a Darcy Moore, Harris Andrews or Jacob Weitering then we are not significantly upgrading from the three 197cm defenders on our list. Is a low 190s defender with good athleticism what we should be looking at (I had already finished the list by the time I realised how slim the pickings were)?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-05-2021, 11:02 PM
I think Jarrod Lienert is someone we should keep tabs on.

comrade
03-05-2021, 10:49 AM
Ricciardi just had 19 marks for GWS reserves team playing in defence.

Fits the idea I love of turning ok/fringe key forwards into good defenders.

Dan McStay is another in this vein. 196cm, big body, about to turn 26. Reckon he could make a very solid key defender.

jazzadogs
03-05-2021, 06:05 PM
I think Jarrod Lienert is someone we should keep tabs on.

Tell me more about him...he's not somebody I've ever noticed. Is he on the outer now that they brought in Aliir?

DOG GOD
03-05-2021, 06:14 PM
If Buckley keeps playing Moore at FF, then we need to be in his ear saying “you’ll play FB every week for the Dogs”.

soupman
03-05-2021, 06:37 PM
Tell me more about him...he's not somebody I've ever noticed. Is he on the outer now that they brought in Aliir?

Pretty sure he is more of a tall half back flanker.

Vred
04-05-2021, 01:00 AM
If Buckley keeps playing Moore at FF, then we need to be in his ear saying “you’ll play FB every week for the Dogs”.

Few people reporting that Moore is very unhappy with Collingwood FC and playing where he currently is, I'd be in his ear like a mofo, specially if we can unload one or two of our ''premiership'' players to free up cap space (I'm looking at you JJ and Zaine).

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2021, 01:10 AM
Is Moore worth the price tag?

He's very good, I know, but IMO he's overrated. For this 'unstoppable' key defender that he was pegged as, he sure did find a way of coughing up goals prior to being shifted forward...

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player and better than anything we have, but considering the cost ($$ + compensation to Pies)? Pass.

Vred
04-05-2021, 03:19 AM
Is Moore worth the price tag?

He's very good, I know, but IMO he's overrated. For this 'unstoppable' key defender that he was pegged as, he sure did find a way of coughing up goals prior to being shifted forward...

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player and better than anything we have, but considering the cost ($$ + compensation to Pies)? Pass.

I watch Moore every single week, thanks to the missus being a Collingwood diehard, as it stands his the pillar of their defense and has little to no support in the backline, he is really, really good, reason his made AA.

Price, yeah, that's the question mark, does he want to potentially win a flag in a team who's hitting their prime with guaranteed spot every week? Or does he want to stick around Collingwood for a rebuild and potentially be thrown forward and back ten times a game? I don't even think Collingwood have money to hold onto him, considering what their cap looks like at the moment.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-05-2021, 09:30 AM
I thought Moore was good too. If he's so good then why has he been moved to FF? Yeah I know Collingwood aren't the brightest bunch, but they aren't that stupid.

I'm also in the camp of wanting Moore if the price is right. But it won't be so I'd pass. He's not exactly what we need. Moore wouldn't do much better than others on our list in 1-on-1 situations. We need a lockdown defender. Again, I'm not saying I don't want him. But for the salary cap and picks we'd have to give up for him, I think we're better off going down a different path. Lockdown defenders can be gotten fairly cheaply. They don't need to be world beaters. Just reliable enough to allow our other defenders to do their work.

bornadog
04-05-2021, 09:38 AM
No chance of getting Moore in a million years.

Mofra
04-05-2021, 09:54 AM
FWIW - Out of contract players: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players

Hands up if you knew Jed Bews was a 10 year player and UFA?

Leftfield KPD option - Jack Hombsch. Would be cheap, is stuck behind a few others at the Suns and is a mature body. Gives us time to develop a younger KPD.
Chol is OOC too but it would be hard to get him out of Richmond.

Hooker and Tarrant are both UFA if we really wanted a superannuation year out of an older player.

westbulldog
04-05-2021, 12:00 PM
I thought Moore was good too. If he's so good then why has he been moved to FF? Yeah I know Collingwood aren't the brightest bunch, but they aren't that stupid.

I'm also in the camp of wanting Moore if the price is right. But it won't be so I'd pass. He's not exactly what we need. Moore wouldn't do much better than others on our list in 1-on-1 situations. We need a lockdown defender. Again, I'm not saying I don't want him. But for the salary cap and picks we'd have to give up for him, I think we're better off going down a different path. Lockdown defenders can be gotten fairly cheaply. They don't need to be world beaters. Just reliable enough to allow our other defenders to do their work.

Collins of GC is a good example of a lockdown defender, not flashy but effective.

ratsmac
04-05-2021, 12:34 PM
FWIW - Out of contract players: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players

Hands up if you knew Jed Bews was a 10 year player and UFA?

Leftfield KPD option - Jack Hombsch. Would be cheap, is stuck behind a few others at the Suns and is a mature body. Gives us time to develop a younger KPD.
Chol is OOC too but it would be hard to get him out of Richmond.

Hooker and Tarrant are both UFA if we really wanted a superannuation year out of an older player.

I think he would be easy to get out of Richmond. He is always overlooked come finals time no matter how many games he plays during the season when they have injuries. The question is why is he overlooked for finals? I think he would be a perfect fit for us. He can play forward, back and even in the ruck. He sounds like a Bevo pinup boy when you think about it!

SquirrelGrip
04-05-2021, 12:35 PM
Collins of GC is a good example of a lockdown defender, not flashy but effective.

Trolling the state leagues may therefore find us a better lockdown defender than from another AFL club.

Grantysghost
04-05-2021, 12:52 PM
He sounds like a Bevo pinup boy when you think about it!
A tall guy who can't make the ones? :cool:

Mofra
04-05-2021, 01:14 PM
I think he would be easy to get out of Richmond. He is always overlooked come finals time no matter how many games he plays during the season when they have injuries. The question is why is he overlooked for finals? I think he would be a perfect fit for us. He can play forward, back and even in the ruck. He sounds like a Bevo pinup boy when you think about it!
If we were any chance I'd be knocking down the door.

DOG GOD
04-05-2021, 05:58 PM
Regarding backs...we need someone who can take the bigger FF’s of the competition.
Atm we don’t have a defender that would makes me think “they won’t kick 5 today”.

There’s a reason that when games are being discussed, it’s never really about the martins’s, boak’s, fyfe’s or Neale’s...it’s about the Hawkins, McKay, king, Dixon, Lynch, so that’s the obvious problem we face.

We don’t want another Gardner. I want someone who when named, I can legitimately think “he could keep him goalless”.
Who that is, I have no idea.

bornadog
04-05-2021, 06:08 PM
Regarding backs...we need someone who can take the bigger FF’s of the competition.
Atm we don’t have a defender that would makes me think “they won’t kick 5 today”.

There’s a reason that when games are being discussed, it’s never really about the martins’s, boak’s, fyfe’s or Neale’s...it’s about the Hawkins, McKay, king, Dixon, Lynch, so that’s the obvious problem we face.

We don’t want another Gardner. I want someone who when named, I can legitimately think “he could keep him goalless”.
Who that is, I have no idea.

Who has that sort of Fullback? Moore would be the closest.

At the end of the day we have cobbled a defence that has the least goals scored against it (along with Melbourne)

DOG GOD
04-05-2021, 06:11 PM

That’s what I’m saying Bornadog...I rate Moore and if there was any chance, we should go for it. We have 2 missing pieces to our team...a “Moore” type FB and a “Tippa/Cameron/Kosi” type quick fwd.

Hopefully Moore got on well with Treloar.

Our kamikaze style of play when it comes undone, unravels in a big way, nearly always giving the opposition key fwd free reign (if they can mark it). Moore would make our team immediately better, and immediately stronger in the back half.

If you want the best, you gotta go for the best, otherwise, try to prize Hartley out of hawthorn and be done with it.

1eyedog
05-05-2021, 12:17 AM

At the end of the day we have cobbled a defence that has the least goals scored against it (along with Melbourne)

Harris Andrews. Would love him. We should get him.

soupman
05-05-2021, 01:02 AM

I think his backup could be an option. Jack Payne, huge, has been ok in the games he has played. Up against it to get a game ahead of Andrews, Adams, Gardiner and Lester.

Mofra
05-05-2021, 09:08 AM
I think his backup could be an option. Jack Payne, huge, has been ok in the games he has played. Up against it to get a game ahead of Andrews, Adams, Gardiner and Lester.
We chased him prior to his last contract signature.
Ditto Ben McKay
Ditto Dougal Howard

We're definitely chasing KPDs.
I wonder if Hombsh is a chance to move clubs again if GCS don't see him in their longer term plans. It's a tight market for KPDs.

AshMac
05-05-2021, 09:24 AM

God yes. He is the benchmark IMO. I like Moore too. Both are chained up in their club dungeons and aren’t going anywhere.

bornadog
05-05-2021, 09:38 AM
God yes. He is the benchmark IMO. I like Moore too. Both are chained up in their club dungeons and aren’t going anywhere.

This.

We are dreaming if we think we could get them.

1eyedog
05-05-2021, 10:08 AM

The question could be asked but he has just been so embedded in their system for so long. Always talks about how important family support has been during his football trajectory. Worth a shot.

bornadog
05-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Can people please have respect for spelling players names correctly.

GARDNER.

Thank you

bulldogsthru&thru
05-05-2021, 10:34 AM
It’s also Alex KEATH.

soupman
05-05-2021, 10:35 AM

GARDNER.

Thank you

If you're referring to me I was talkin about Darcy Gardiner who plays for Brisbane, not Ryan.

bornadog
05-05-2021, 10:36 AM
If you're referring to me I was talkin about Darcy Gardiner who plays for Brisbane, not Ryan.

No not at all.

Plenty of posters have misspelled his name.

Axe Man
05-05-2021, 10:39 AM

GARDNER.

Thank you

While we are at it can we sort out the use of his instead of he's and passed instead of past? :D

bulldogsthru&thru
05-05-2021, 10:40 AM
While we are at it can we sort out the use of his instead of he's and passed instead of past? :D

Yes please. And should/could have instead of should/could of. :D

bulldogtragic
05-05-2021, 10:41 AM

Then and than. Effect and affect.

Thank you :D

soupman
05-05-2021, 11:18 AM
Sam Taylor is the one we should be going for. Tall, really good lockdown defender in the Harris Andrews mould. Would be hard to pry from GWS.

Other options could include Josh Rotham, who is playing a fair bit for West Coast and is a pretty mobile tall and Trent McKenzie (yeah I'm not sold either) who was serviceable in the role last year before being pushed out by Aliir and is still just 29.

comrade
05-05-2021, 11:26 AM
GWS moved on Corr because they had Taylor ready to go. No way are they contemplating giving up a missing piece key defender to their bitter rivals.

Happy Days
05-05-2021, 11:30 AM
Taylor is also contracted for next year (I checked when we started on this because he’d be perfect).

Mofra
05-05-2021, 11:34 AM
Other options could include Josh Rotham, who is playing a fair bit for West Coast and is a pretty mobile tall and Trent McKenzie (yeah I'm not sold either) who was serviceable in the role last year before being pushed out by Aliir and is still just 29.
McKenzie is 'ok' but not KPD sized.
If we want a 193cm defender, J-Kolo from Geelong would probably suit us a little better than Rotham.

comrade
05-05-2021, 11:37 AM
We’re just not going to get a gun defender fall into our laps (again) and the idea of picking up some cooked 30+ cashing in for a superannuation year seems like a horrible idea. I also don’t want anymore tweener 189-195 types.

We need to scour the lists and find a maturing but fringe 195+ tall forward and convert them to defence.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2021, 12:19 PM
We’re just not going to get a gun defender fall into our laps (again) and the idea of picking up some cooked 30+ cashing in for a superannuation year seems like a horrible idea. I also don’t want anymore tweener 189-195 types.

We need to scour the lists and find a maturing but fringe 195+ tall forward and convert them to defence.

Watching the replay, I feel we have enough talent. Jamarra can come in eventually and Naughton can go back.

Axe Man
05-05-2021, 12:24 PM
Watching the replay, I feel we have enough talent. Jamarra can come in eventually and Naughton can go back.

You watched the replay of Naughton being our only threatening forward and concluded he should go back?

Axe Man
05-05-2021, 12:30 PM

I agree that a Andrews/Moore/Taylor type is pie in the sky stuff. Writing off players based solely on age or height is foolish though. Some 193/4/5cm players are well enough equipped to play on the 200cm types. Some 200cm types are not at all equipped to play on fellow 200cm types. Some 28 year olds are cooked, some 31 year olds have 3 good years left. Brian Lake (31 when he played his first game for the Hawks) turned out OK.

comrade
05-05-2021, 12:59 PM
I agree that a Andrews/Moore/Taylor type is pie in the sky stuff. Writing off players based solely on age or height is foolish though. Some 193/4/5cm players are well enough equipped to play on the 200cm types. Some 200cm types are not at all equipped to play on fellow 200cm types. Some 28 year olds are cooked, some 31 year olds have 3 good years left. Brian Lake (31 when he played his first game for the Hawks) turned out OK.

Brian Lake is the exception that proves the rule (and of course we were the ones stupid enough to provide the Hawks with the missing piece). Try and name another 31 year old key defender that has moved to another club and had an impact.

Very few defenders can give up 5cm+ and the decent weight difference that comes with it and compete with the big guys while also being dangerous in the air. The ones that can (say Tom Stewart, Dane Rampe or Mozza for us through his entire career) are so highly rated by their own clubs they're no chance of being extracted. The names of tweeners like Josh Rotham and Trent Mackenzie were thrown around...no thanks.

Axe Man
05-05-2021, 01:07 PM
Brian Lake is the exception that proves the rule (and of course we were the ones stupid enough to provide the Hawks with the missing piece). Try and name another 31 year old key defender that has moved to another club and had an impact.

Very few defenders can give up 5cm+ and the decent weight difference that comes with it and compete with the big guys while also being dangerous in the air. The ones that can (say Tom Stewart, Dane Rampe or Mozza for us through his entire career) are so highly rated by their own clubs they're no chance of being extracted. The names of tweeners like Josh Rotham and Trent Mackenzie were thrown around...no thanks.

All I am saying is I would judge each player on their merits, not make blanket rules based on numbers on a page.

I agree we don't need any third tall type defenders, but they don't necessarily need to be +195cm to even be considered. If Joel Hamling ever recovers from his never ending ankle problems I would happily take him back even though he is only 194cm. Dylan Grimes does ok at 193cm.

Mofra
05-05-2021, 01:30 PM
All I am saying is I would judge each player on their merits, not make blanket rules based on numbers on a page.

I agree we don't need any third tall type defenders, but they don't necessarily need to be +195cm to even be considered. If Joel Hamling ever recovers from his never ending ankle problems I would happily take him back even though he is only 194cm. Dylan Grimes does ok at 193cm.
Hamling's teammate Cox is also 194cm and does well.
Grimes is much better as the third though, brilliant at stopping his opponent then helping out teammates.

bornadog
05-05-2021, 04:20 PM

This 100%

DOG GOD
05-05-2021, 06:40 PM

Will this converter be someone that can immediately come into the team to make us better Comrade, or someone that will have to learn their defensive craft at VFL level for a year ? I understand your logic, but I expect within the next 6-7 weeks, it’s going to be even more obvious of the desperate need for a KPD NOW !!!!

comrade
05-05-2021, 07:10 PM
Will this converter be someone that can immediately come into the team to make us better Comrade, or someone that will have to learn their defensive craft at VFL level for a year ? I understand your logic, but I expect within the next 6-7 weeks, it’s going to be even more obvious of the desperate need for a KPD NOW !!!!

A good example is Jake Ricciardi. He was sent back to defence for GWS VFL side last weekend and had 40 touches and 19 marks. I watched some of the game and I reckon you could stick him at CHB for us right now and he'd be fine.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-05-2021, 08:36 PM
North and Brisbane going after Ed Richards according to the age.

bornadog
05-05-2021, 08:40 PM
North and Brisbane going after Ed Richards according to the age.

Ed a swap for a KPD

Story here (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/north-brisbane-eye-bulldog-speedster-20210505-p57p6v.html)

bulldogtragic
05-05-2021, 09:27 PM
Ed a swap for a KPD

Story here (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/north-brisbane-eye-bulldog-speedster-20210505-p57p6v.html)

North wanting a ‘draft first policy and not wanting to trade picks’.

How does Richards for McKay feel for both clubs?

comrade
05-05-2021, 09:37 PM

I'll drive Ed to Arden St myself.

1eyedog
05-05-2021, 09:39 PM
Ed a swap for a KPD

Soup threw up Payne's name as a KPD option from the Lions.

GVGjr
05-05-2021, 10:07 PM

I don't see how North trade McKay because he would need to be replaced. They'd just about consider him as a lock wouldn't they?

jeemak
05-05-2021, 10:31 PM
The MC clearly rate Richards, and have often done what they can to fit him into the team. Last year after missing round one he played every game, but the way the article is written makes it seem like 17 games is a step backwards for a third year player in a team that made finals.

I'd be really surprised if we let him go cheaply. As I said in another thread, he's a first round draft pick who'd played 90% of games leading up to this year.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2021, 10:36 PM
I don't see how North trade McKay because he would need to be replaced. They'd just about consider him as a lock wouldn't they?

Yes and no. The article says they are not trading picks. So they need to put up a player we want to satisfy the trade. Might they ask look for someone like Young from a club. Potential upside, won’t cost much. If it was us, he’d be steak knives. They get an inferior KPD, but a ‘first picked HBF’. To keep their picks, who else would we have interest in?

comrade
05-05-2021, 10:40 PM
Yes and no. The article says they are not trading picks. So they need to put up a player we want to satisfy the trade. Might they ask look for someone like Young from a club. Potential upside, won’t cost much. If it was us, he’d be steak knives. They get an inferior KPD, but a ‘first picked HBF’. To keep their picks, who else would we have interest in?

North can just walk him to the PSD.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2021, 11:42 PM
North can just walk him to the PSD.

They can. McKay can also nominate us. Or Richards could nominate Brisbane or another club. It’s a reasonable position IF Richards wants to leave to ask for a decent player back from any club.

Axe Man
06-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Ed a swap for a KPD

That has to be the first time I have seen the word surfeit used in a football article.

Mofra
06-05-2021, 10:28 AM
Soup threw up Payne's name as a KPD option from the Lions.
I'd do that. Richards is quality but Payne is a position of dire need and I think both clubs win there. We can ask the Lions for a cheeky late rounder, or swap 2022 picks for 2021 picks so we have NGA/FS points coverage this year.

Axe Man
06-05-2021, 12:04 PM
You can only ask I guess!

CLUBS CONTINUE TO ASK, BUT ALEX RANCE CATEGORIC ON AFL RETIREMENT (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/03/clubs-continue-to-ask-but-alex-rance-categoric-on-afl-retirement/)

lubs continue to ask the question of former superstar defender Alex Rance more than two years after his last AFL game.

Rance tore his ACL in the opening round of 2019 and retired in December that year.

As things stand, he has no intention of returning to the top level but will soon pull the boots on for C-Grade West Australian side, Swan Valley.

It is said that every month or so a club asks the question of Rance – framed in a casual nature along the lines of: ‘He wouldn’t play again would he?’

The Western Bulldogs were the latest outfit to put the feelers out, but it might have happened 10 times since Rance announced his retirement at the age of 30.

“I think it’s a good idea and I can’t believe Alex Rance is sitting over in Western Australia playing whatever level of football it is,” Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy said on AFL Nation on Friday.

“My understanding is Richmond is topped out salary cap wise and essentially they’re not in much need as the Western Bulldogs.

“Wouldn’t it be so exciting? I’d make the call. If I was the Dogs, I’d make the call because that’s their weakness right now.”

Yet Rance could not be more categoric about not wanting to play AFL football again.

While Kade Simpson said he “100 per cent” wished he was still playing and Gary Ablett admitted he was “open to a conversation” with Geelong about a comeback, Rance remains a firm no.

The five-time All-Australian is a couple of weeks away from running out for Swan Valley, which is coached by Rance’s cousin and former Carlton player David Ellard.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2021, 12:10 PM
I’d want to see a full pre-season and if successful put on via the SSP. Big risk taking on someone out of the game a while with an injury also. Carey was nothing like the North version at Adelaide.

Axe Man
06-05-2021, 12:46 PM
I’d want to see a full pre-season and if successful put on via the SSP. Big risk taking on someone out of the game a while with an injury also. Carey was nothing like the North version at Adelaide.

If we can tie up list spots with low percentage plays like Roarke and Hayes I am more than happy to roll the dice on Alex Rance.

It will never happen of course because he doesn't actually want to play but I would take him in the mid season draft and get him fit for round 1 2022. Worst case scenario he never plays but can help coach our key backs outside the football department cap.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2021, 12:52 PM
If we can tie up list spots with low percentage plays like Roarke and Hayes I am more than happy to roll the dice on Alex Rance.

It will never happen of course because he doesn't actually want to play but I would take him in the mid season draft and get him fit for round 1 2022. Worst case scenario he never plays but can help coach our key backs outside the football department cap.

If the article is correct, Sam Power is leaving no stone unturned looking for a key defender. Hope he finds a good one.

Mofra
06-05-2021, 01:01 PM
If the article is correct, Sam Power is leaving no stone unturned looking for a key defender. Hope he finds a good one.
We've been doing that for a while. I'm still not happy we missed on out Dougal Howard.

Axe Man
06-05-2021, 01:05 PM
We've been doing that for a while. I'm still not happy we missed on out Dougal Howard.

I would love to know if we had a crack at Allir, Port got him for a steal.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-05-2021, 01:08 PM
Imagine if Rance wanted to come.

Just imagine.

bornadog
06-05-2021, 02:30 PM

Last year in a Zoom meeting ( Bulldog business group), Chris Grant mentioned we were looking for a Key Back, so Sam has been on to it, but as you know, everyone wants one.

mjp
06-05-2021, 02:46 PM
Carey was nothing like the North version at Adelaide.

Carey played a pretty contested game at CHF tho. It isn't like Rance dealt with the same level of physical contact (or the same number of post-match beers) as Carey...I'm actually sure he would be fine if he WANTED to play.

Mofra
06-05-2021, 03:04 PM
Mabior Chol is out of contract at the end of the year.
Hasn't played at all in 2021, we just have to be asking the question.
He's light but athletic, 2m tall and in terms of contract + opportunity we have to be an attractive option.

comrade
06-05-2021, 03:07 PM
He's light but athletic, 2m tall and in terms of contract + opportunity we have to be an attractive option.

Yeah, I like this suggestion. These are types we should be digging into very hard, gettable too.

bornadog
06-05-2021, 03:09 PM
Carey played a pretty contested game at CHF tho. It isn't like Rance dealt with the same level of physical contact (or the same number of post-match beers) as Carey...I'm actually sure he would be fine if he WANTED to play.

I would try and throw some big dollars at him and say play for the remainder of the season (mid season draft), and help us win a premiership. Then see how he feels for next year. Surely in that time he would be able to help Keath and Young in a mentoring role.

soupman
06-05-2021, 03:14 PM

I like him but is he what we want?

I'm pretty all in on the whole English as a forward offering occasional chop outs in the ruck thing, I don't want him to become our number one ruck again.

From what I've seen of Chol he is a bit similiar to English in that he isn't a main ruck guy but more of a backup that can have an impact around the field. Do we want two second ruck types on the list? I'd rather we put our ruck dollars into someone who can be the main guy there.

Happy to be corrected on Chol though.

Mofra
06-05-2021, 03:14 PM
I would try and throw some big dollars at him and say play for the remainder of the season (mid season draft), and help us win a premiership. Then see how he feels for next year. Surely in that time he would be able to help Keath and Young in a mentoring role.
If we have to drag him out of retirement rather than him actively wanting to come out of retirement then I question just how hungry he'd be on the field.

He's always had things in his life that matter more than football to him.

Mofra
06-05-2021, 03:15 PM
I like him but is he what we want?

I'm pretty all in on the whole English as a forward offering occasional chop outs in the ruck thing, I don't want him to become our number one ruck again.

From what I've seen of Chol he is a bit similiar to English in that he isn't a main ruck guy but more of a backup that can have an impact around the field. Do we want two second ruck types on the list? I'd rather we put our ruck dollars into someone who can be the main guy there.

Happy to be corrected on Chol though.
I'd target him as a KPD, he has the speed and reach and has played some minutes there at VFL & AFL level.
Buks and Chol would be a membership bonanza for us too.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-05-2021, 03:49 PM
If we have to drag him out of retirement rather than him actively wanting to come out of retirement then I question just how hungry he'd be on the field.

He's always had things in his life that matter more than football to him.

Think he'd be fine once he committed to it - i.e. Dunkley being forced to stay. Different situation but same same.

The fact that it could potentially only be for half a season might have some appeal.

EasternWest
07-05-2021, 05:50 PM

Just imagine.

Would 3/4 of this board have to stop hating him?

Happy Days
07-05-2021, 06:40 PM

Nah man I’m a professional.

EasternWest
07-05-2021, 06:54 PM
Nah man I’m a professional.

Respect your commitment.

Twodogs
09-05-2021, 07:57 PM

Yeah they are. Just ask Adam Trealor. Or even Mick Malthouse.

I agree with what you say about lockdown defenders though. It's not the most glamorous position in he game so they are invariably undervalued. I was on the Alir Alir bandwagon from mid 2017 when the Swans just wouldn't play him for some reason even when he was fit.

Twodogs
09-05-2021, 08:15 PM
The MC clearly rate Richards, and have often done what they can to fit him into the team. Last year after missing round one he played every game, but the way the article is written makes it seem like 17 games is a step backwards for a third year player in a team that made finals.

I'd be really surprised if we let him go cheaply. As I said in another thread, he's a first round draft pick who'd played 90% of games leading up to this year.

Yep. No way we let him go unless the offer is too good to refuse. A player that makes us better straight away or a first round pick. Ed is a first choice/best 22 player with us when he's fit.

Twodogs
09-05-2021, 08:22 PM

Just imagine.

Maybe we can sell him on the romance of playing with his dad's old club? In his dad's old position? And maybe a chance of winning a premiership medal with his dad's old club playing in his dad's old position?

Twodogs
09-05-2021, 08:40 PM

That'd be up to him. Play in a premiership with us and I'd be happy to buy him a beer.;)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-08-2021, 08:39 AM
Do any of our Adelaide Woofers have any insights into why McAsey isn't getting a game at Adelaide? He signed on again earlier in the year...but hasn't been sighted thus far?
Has his form in SANFL been poor?

macca
06-08-2021, 09:45 PM
Does anyone know if Gunston is a chance ? One of the senior players not happy on the whole clarkson/mitchell handover attempt.

I

GVGjr
06-08-2021, 11:38 PM
Does anyone know if Gunston is a chance ? One of the senior players not happy on the whole clarkson/mitchell handover attempt.

I

Gunston is a fine footballer but do we need another forward?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-08-2021, 11:40 PM

I

Just don't think he is what we need. 2 years ago he has a place in our team, but doesn't suit us now.

Bulldog Joe
07-08-2021, 12:27 AM

I

Gunston is not a need for us.

divvydan
07-08-2021, 12:35 AM
Do any of our Adelaide Woofers have any insights into why McAsey isn't getting a game at Adelaide? He signed on again earlier in the year...but hasn't been sighted thus far?

Got a few Ade mates and he's something of a scapegoat but has really not impressed either fwd or back. Would need to do something special to find a role at AFL level.

GVGjr
07-08-2021, 09:43 AM

Like many young KPP he might either be taking a bit longer to develop or he might also not be quite good enough.
I'd prefer to keep Lewis Young.

Mofra
07-08-2021, 11:05 AM
There are a lot of KPDs I'd look at before McAsey. SANFL watchers aren't impressed with his pace and we have a KPD right now with concerns over his pace (Schache) who has every other aspect of his game humming nicely.

Mofra
07-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Odd take - but is the conversation shifting away from "who do we target" to '"do we target anybody"?

I'm really concerned about our ruck depth but we may address that with FA/rookie picks/a DFA and just try and make a few pick swaps to increase our Sam Darcy points.

GVGjr
07-08-2021, 11:21 AM
Odd take - but is the conversation shifting away from "who do we target" to '"do we target anybody"?

I'm really concerned about our ruck depth but we may address that with FA/rookie picks/a DFA and just try and make a few pick swaps to increase our Sam Darcy points.

Looking to add to our ruck depth should be the priority. We don't necessarily need a great player but someone who can contribute. If the player could fill a couple of positions it would be even better.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2021, 11:42 AM

I think it’s be a lost opportunity to bring in more mature talent in our window. If there’s nothing worth it, Power won’t get someone for the sake of it. But if there are some gettable players we like, I hope we hunt them down and get them.

Bulldog4life
10-08-2021, 05:45 PM
GIANTS FORWARD WEIGHING UP FUTURE

Out-of-favour Giants forward Jake Riccardi is weighing up his future, with a contract offer from the club sitting on the table.

AFL Media reports that the 21-year old’ management have been in discussions with GWS on a new deal for several weeks as he considers opportunities elsewhere.

Riccardi has been limited to just six senior games in 2021, stuck behind Harry Himmelberg and Jesse Hogan in the Giants’ key forward pecking order.

The report states that given the lack of key forwards on the market, clubs from his home state of Victoria are expected to monitor Riccardi’s end to the season.

Could a Victorian club poach Jake Riccardi?
It comes after the mature-aged product burst onto the scene last year – booting eight goals from his first three AFL games in shortened quarters.

He has kicked 18 goals from six VFL games in 2021 including a big bag of eight majors against Aspley in Round 9.

Riccardi was drafted by the Giants with Pick 41 in the 2019 National Draft after a 38-goal season for VFL club Werribee in the same year when he received Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal honours as the best young talent.
Jack can also play full back too.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-kyle-chalmers-clubs-interested-port-adelaide-geelong-jake-riccardi-future-victorian-suitors/news-story/4acd1205ec5b7193c2e0bc5e13d04772

josie
10-08-2021, 06:15 PM
What’s Riccardi like as a KF or KB woofers? Can he part time ruck? If any good what would we need to part with?

Bulldog4life
10-08-2021, 06:17 PM
What’s Riccardi like as a KF or KB woofers? Can he part time ruck? If any good what would we need to part with?

Not sure about ruck but he has kicked a bag for GWS and with Werribee played forward and back. Sounds like he is a local too. Could be wrong.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-08-2021, 06:52 PM
Putting it here but Josh Kelly has signed for 8 years with GWS.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2021, 07:12 PM
Putting it here but Josh Kelly has signed for 8 years with GWS.

North, now running out of options, to offer $10,000,000 to Levi Casboult. Fingers crossed he tells them ‘yes’.

GVGjr
10-08-2021, 09:41 PM

Macca, a weeks a long time in football but with Bruce to miss a lot of football I wonder if we would now run the ruler over Gunston?

azabob
10-08-2021, 09:43 PM
Macca, a weeks a long time in football but with Bruce to miss a lot of football I wonder if we would now run the ruler over Gunston?

Gunston is about to have surgery on his back. He only played 1 game this year. Huge risk but huge upside. Ben McEvoy is the disgruntled senior player we should target.

Grantysghost
10-08-2021, 09:49 PM
Gunston is about to have surgery on his back. He only played 1 game this year. Huge risk but huge upside. Ben McEvoy is the disgruntled senior player we should target.
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o85xIO33l7RlmLR4I/giphy.gif

bornadog
10-08-2021, 09:51 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o85xIO33l7RlmLR4I/giphy.gif

The retirement village for ex Hawks

Bumper Bulldogs
10-08-2021, 10:53 PM

Ben is a huge yes for me. He would make us a power house

1eyedog
11-08-2021, 12:00 AM
At the start of a Premiership window is exactly the time we should be loading up on washed up champs with experience and big bodies. It's a match made in heaven.

Gunston would also be insanely good for us for a year or two. McEvoy is a no brainer, not sure he would leave though.

FrediKanoute
11-08-2021, 12:53 AM
I am in favour of Gunston and McEvoy. Our first rounder for both?

macca
11-08-2021, 02:26 AM

Yep GV, we should be target the good players with clubs in some sort of turmoil either self inflicted or just stupid politics. Emotions are high there is a push or pull factor towards us.

Lots of good players left essendon result of their not so called drug enhancing program: Ryder, Crameri, Houli, Melksham, Daniher, Carlisle

Collingwood salary Cap: Langdon, Stephenson, Treloar

Adelaide and their infamous camp: Keith, Cameron, Betts

Brisbane and their crap development program: Yeo, Aish,

Now Hawthorn, a few disgruntled senior players loyal to the old coach. We should be getting into McEvoy's and Gunston ear.
"your never going to see finals again in remainder of your career..."

"You've already got some mates here: Dureya and Bevo..." just pickup the phone and talk ....say magic word Premiership window....

Almost anyone maybe gettable if you they see a premiership window and the doors closing on their career, even Nick Natanui.

Hawks would want some currency for these players whilst they still hold some value.

Gunston would teach our young fwd the craft and he would be like onfield match day coach.

McEvoy solid, strong body to help English in the ruck and also drop into backline to play defense when needed.

Sad thing is we bring in these players, Young would be behind them for a fwd or ruck role.

Mantis
11-08-2021, 09:25 AM

A first rounder for 2 players who only have 1-2 players left.. it's a lot to give up.

DOG GOD
11-08-2021, 09:55 AM
Always been a fan of Gunston. He’s a TRUE forward and a GREAT kick for goal. Something we need.
Actually, imagine both he and Breust alongside Naughton, JUH and Weightman.

1eyedog
11-08-2021, 10:34 AM
A first rounder for 2 players who only have 1-2 players left.. it's a lot to give up.

There is no way I would pay that I would be looking at shaping some of the numbers we'll get for Lewy Young, Lippa and Mitch Wallis. Now that Bruce is down I reckon we'll now try to retain Lewy but we'll see he may make the decision for us.

I'd be open to moving JJ on as well but it won't happen. While I'd prefer to keep Richards he may be out the door as well so I think we'll have plenty of collateral without burning our first - including enough to look after the Darcy requirement - if those two players would like one more flag prior to retirement.

Our best selection this year 100% needs to go on the best available key defender we can get.

Mofra
11-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Unless we get a truckload of 2021 draft picks back for points, god no.

Gunston can't get on the paddock and I'd rather look at a longer term option in the ruck.

1. Tom Lynch as a DFA gives us a one-year option to give Marra and extra 12 months & two pre-seasons of development, by rumour we talked to him previously (the Josh Bruce trade year) and we don't have to go through the rigmarole of a trade.

2. Max Lynch from Collingwood. Give us an 8-10 year ruck, super runner so we don't have to rejig our system to fit him in, he's OOC so gettable and why wouldn't we want to deal with Collingwood again?

3. Jarrod Leinert with Port. 195cm defender who can also roll onto medium/smalls (again, fits our system). OOC so again would be relatively cheap and is behind a few players at Port. If we want to play three tall defenders, then two of them have to be quick.

Trading out Young and Lipinski should give us some points towards a Darcy bid, given our 2022 first would be eaten up by a deficit (and arguably a Jordan Croft bid) I'd be comfortable moving out 2021 first back for extra points and trading our 2022 pick for both 2021 points and draft capital to get trades 2 & 3 across the line. Mitch Wallis gets to where he wants to go and a thank you for his service, we might get band 5 compo but I wouldn't bank on it.

We're not ignoring the draft - we still bring in Sam Darcy this year at top tier talent and Jordan Croft next year, potentially Cat B rookie Raak as a tallish/medium defender, Ewan McPherson as a FS who (I hope) can develop into a lockdown small defender, and plug three holes in the one draft period.

1eyedog
11-08-2021, 11:00 AM
Unless we get a truckload of 2021 draft picks back for points, god no.

Gunston can't get on the paddock and I'd rather look at a longer term option in the ruck.

1. Tom Lynch as a DFA gives us a one-year option to give Marra and extra 12 months & two pre-seasons of development, by rumour we talked to him previously (the Josh Bruce trade year) and we don't have to go through the rigmarole of a trade.

2. Max Lynch from Collingwood. Give us an 8-10 year ruck, super runner so we don't have to rejig our system to fit him in, he's OOC so gettable and why wouldn't we want to deal with Collingwood again?

3. Jarrod Leinert with Port. 195cm defender who can also roll onto medium/smalls (again, fits our system). OOC so again would be relatively cheap and is behind a few players at Port. If we want to play three tall defenders, then two of them have to be quick.

Trading out Young and Lipinski should give us some points towards a Darcy bid, given our 2022 first would be eaten up by a deficit (and arguably a Jordan Croft bid) I'd be comfortable moving out 2021 first back for extra points and trading our 2022 pick for both 2021 points and draft capital to get trades 2 & 3 across the line. Mitch Wallis gets to where he wants to go and a thank you for his service, we might get band 5 compo but I wouldn't bank on it.

We're not ignoring the draft - we still bring in Sam Darcy this year at top tier talent and Jordan Croft next year, potentially Cat B rookie Raak as a tallish/medium defender, Ewan McPherson as a FS who (I hope) can develop into a lockdown small defender, and plug three holes in the one draft period.

I think McEvoy and Gunston are worth considering. They are proven quality and we could likely negotiate a pretty sweet deal for two years without cutting off a finger trade wise. We're looking at opportunities now and there is no question that those two would make us exponentially better next year and the year after.

It's time to load up and win another flag please so I'm all in on the risk that Gunston presents. The players you've highlighted are certainly worthy of a look and would fill our longer term requirements but they're periphery players who are young, with little experience and are untested. Can they make a contribution inside 3 years to give us tilt of a flag? That's highly speculative.

We're ready to go now and have one or two holes that I would like to fill to have a shot next year and the year after. I'm happy to secure a promising young ruckman but realistically it is unlikely they'll be in a position to make a meaningful contribution for 2-3 years.

It doesn't have to be McEvoy and Gunston but I think we need to be thinking this way.

Mofra
11-08-2021, 12:07 PM
It's time to load up and win another flag please so I'm all in on the risk that Gunston presents. The players you've highlighted are certainly worthy of a look and would fill our longer term requirements but they're periphery players who are young, with little experience and are untested. Can they make a contribution inside 3 years to give us tilt of a flag? That's highly speculative.
If those three players were on our list I'd expect all three to be lining up for us this weekend.

DOG GOD
11-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Talk on here regarding Darcy Moore has gone pretty quite. Realistically no chance or just no interest ?

Moore and McEvoy would be must haves, with Lynch as a rolling fwd to help relieve the Bruce loss.

bornadog
11-08-2021, 12:23 PM
Talk on here regarding Darcy Moore has gone pretty quite. Realistically no chance or just no interest ?

Moore and McEvoy would be must haves, with Lynch as a rolling fwd to help relieve the Bruce loss.

Darcy no chance

bulldogtragic
11-08-2021, 12:31 PM

For me, I think it’s a very low possibility on Moore. I’d ask the question of Moore and Collingwood as they need more picks for their rebuild and get significant salary cap relief. Plus the expected compo in 2022 might not as good as the thinking was many weeks ago. The best chance would be if they’ve targeted Ed Richards and he’s happy to go, plus they want a first rounder on top to help secure Daicos (short on points) and want some of their salary for Treloar taken by us. So there’s a theoretical path, but I’d not put any money on it. There’s no public reporting indicating any of these parts and things occurring.

comrade
11-08-2021, 01:19 PM
Father son picks like Sam Darcy are a blessing and a curse, especially when they're 204cm string beans that will take years to develop. We're in our window right now yet our trading and ability to bring in pieces to strengthen a premiership tilt are hampered by needing enough points etc to match a bid and limits on how far you can go into deficit.

There's no chance we don't take him but I think you could make an argument that our picks could be better utilised over the next few years for experienced players than a ruck that won't have any influence on our flag chances over the next 2-3 years.

Grantysghost
11-08-2021, 01:47 PM
Father son picks like Sam Darcy are a blessing and a curse, especially when they're 204cm string beans that will take years to develop. We're in our window right now yet our trading and ability to bring in pieces to strengthen a premiership tilt are hampered by needing enough points etc to match a bid and limits on how far you can go into deficit.

There's no chance we don't take him but I think you could make an argument that our picks could be better utilised over the next few years for experienced players than a ruck that won't have any influence on our flag chances over the next 2-3 years.

Was thinking that.

Your hands are tied in a way, you can't necessarily pick for need. Guess you just have to be smarter around how you shuffle the deck chairs.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2021, 01:53 PM

Was thinking that.

Your hands are tied in a way, you can't necessarily pick for need. Guess you just have to be smarter around how you shuffle the deck chairs.

That’s why you’ve got to get creative. There’s scope within the rules to trade into the club in a meaningful way and take Darcy, if we want to.

Mofra
11-08-2021, 02:29 PM
I'm going with blessing - we get to take top tier draft talent and have the option of being far more flexible in doing so.

Unlike a lot of clubs, late picks can provide real value to us especially as the draft picks vs list spot rules have been suspended last year and this year. That rule suspension is almost as big a leg up as Marra being available to us last year.

e.g. It's highly likely that this year and next years' first round picks will be high. No way a team trades pick 3 for two late teens picks, but that's effectively what we have with Sam Darcy. The fact we can downgrade out 2021 first for a points surplus, then downgrade our 2022 first for players of need and get 2021 points back to match a Darcy bid puts us in an incredible position.

Consider then we get first dibs on Croft next year and can feasibly plug list holes at the trade table while getting top tier talent and we are in as good a position as any club in the AFL. Melbourne have a gun NGA talent this year (Amdrew) they lose access to because he's going to be a top 20 pick, and that just makes our position all the more sweet.

Mofra
11-08-2021, 02:33 PM
^ To add to the above, if we instead somehow lure a gun KPD to us that wipes our our trade capital and takes our Sam Darcy picks there are still ruck options. Chol isn't a great ruck but he's a FA who can be serviceable forward of the ball.

Alternatively, we find a one year FA stop-gap defensive option like Day or Astbury that gives us time to put more development into Gardner and Sam Darcy (who many project as a KPD at AFL level).

1eyedog
11-08-2021, 05:51 PM
If those three players were on our list I'd expect all three to be lining up for us this weekend.

Lynch I possibly agree with based on the fact of how bad our existing ruckmen are, Martin notwithstanding.

Lynch has a lot of work to do to improve his output around the ground, Bevo will demand this and his disposal is dicey as well. He may have a tank and dominate in the VFL but he's hit walls after half time in each of his AFL matches this year. He's had one cracking game in the ruck and surprisingly that was against Gawn, who he broke even with.

I still think he's a speculative type who has shown he can ruck at AFL level but needs patience and ongoing continuity to develop his fitness and make an impact around the ground. I'd rather a McEvoy-type in the ruck in 2022 rather than Lynch. I mean, maybe he'd be OK but I don't think he offers enough elsewhere and I'm out of patience regarding the ruck department.

I'm not sure Bevo would play both him and English.

Mofra
12-08-2021, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure Bevo would play both him and English.
I think in Bevo's tenure he's preferred to play two ruckmen.
CamHead for years, the Boyd/Roughy. This year he played Martin with English until Stef was injured.

1eyedog
12-08-2021, 09:52 AM
I think in Bevo's tenure he's preferred to play two ruckmen.
CamHead for years, the Boyd/Roughy. This year he played Martin with English until Stef was injured.

I kinda meant due to both being relatively inexperienced with developing bodies. There's always been a big experienced hard body involved. I guess we'll see.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-08-2021, 12:25 PM
Daniel Talia not offered a contract by Adelaide.

Grantysghost
12-08-2021, 12:27 PM

Here we go!

bulldogtragic
12-08-2021, 12:27 PM

Good. *!*!*!*! him and *!*!*!*! his brother.

Axe Man
12-08-2021, 12:29 PM

I'm sure they will enjoy playing together at Norwood next year.

Grantysghost
12-08-2021, 12:29 PM

Wouldn't entertain him at all?

I reckon Bevo would pick him up just to spite Barrett.

Personally I am over the other stuff it was years ago, bad yes, but if his body is right and he's keen he would be a decent addition. Can play.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2021, 12:34 PM
Wouldn't entertain him at all?

Not for a second. As I’ve said before, I spoke to Bevo about it at the time. No *!*!*!*!ing way. Our players, many still on the list, know what happened too. No way they’d line up with him. He would stain our jumper. I would rather follow GWS than a club he plays for. Which is handy, as I see no way our coach and senior players letting it happen. To be clear. *!*!*!*! him and *!*!*!*! his brother.

comrade
12-08-2021, 12:37 PM
I’d say there is more chance of Bevo and Barrett starting a comedy podcast where they riff on local and global news while putting their own irreverent spin on things and occasionally have guests join them to break up the monotony of just the two of them than there is of Daniel Talia joining the Bulldogs

Grantysghost
12-08-2021, 12:39 PM
I’d say there is more chance of Bevo and Barrett starting a comedy podcast where they riff on local and global news while putting their own irreverent spin on things and occasionally have guests join them to break up the monotony of just the two of them than there is of Daniel Talia joining the Bulldogs

Haha. See, what you all don't realise is Bevo doesn't conform.

I expect topless insta stories of Bevo and Talia surfing off 13th Beach this coming summer.

Mofra
12-08-2021, 12:56 PM
Not for a second. As I’ve said before, I spoke to Bevo about it at the time. No *!*!*!*!ing way. Our players, many still on the list, know what happened too. No way they’d line up with him. He would stain our jumper. I would rather follow GWS than a club he plays for. Which is handy, as I see no way our coach and senior players letting it happen. To be clear. *!*!*!*! him and *!*!*!*! his brother.
Let's not forget that he can't even get on the paddock due to a chronic foot issue.

Happy Days
12-08-2021, 01:00 PM
Leaving all of the baggage to one side, Talia is w a s h e d. No thanks.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 01:01 PM
Leaving all of the baggage to one side, Talia is w a s h e d. No thanks.

agree and that is why he won't get a contract

bulldogtragic
12-08-2021, 01:09 PM
Let's not forget that he can't even get on the paddock due to a chronic foot issue.

Correctamondo. My heart bleeds too. He has no future in the AFEL.

Grantysghost
12-08-2021, 01:40 PM
I doubt the Stevens family would ever let him come to us either. If people think that's why we lost the Elimination final then sweet fancy moses.

It was about Stringer's running patterns. Stringer. His running patterns back then were KFC to McDonalds via the local high school.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 01:42 PM
I doubt the Stevens family would ever let him come to us either. If people think that's why we lost the Elimination final then sweet fancy moses.

It was about Stringer's running patterns. Stringer. His running patterns back then were KFC to McDonalds via the local high school.

After having an AA year, he was underwhelming in the final.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2021, 03:26 PM

I’m not sure anybody does. At the club or otherwise. We absolutely should’ve won it. From memory all Crameri had to do to let Jarrad Grant have an easy shot was a basic kick/handball and missed him. Grant then gets delisted and Crameri doesn’t take the slap on wrist and kills his career too. Not a great chapter there.

Happy Days
12-08-2021, 03:41 PM
I’m not sure anybody does. At the club or otherwise. We absolutely should’ve won it. From memory all Crameri had to do to let Jarrad Grant have an easy shot was a basic kick/handball and missed him. Grant then gets delisted and Crameri doesn’t take the slap on wrist and kills his career too. Not a great chapter there.

I’m down to pay out Crameri any time but pretty sure it was Hunter that missed the handball.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 04:13 PM
I’m down to pay out Crameri any time but pretty sure it was Hunter that missed the handball.

Yes Hunter, but tried to handball to Crameri who was on his own, and Grant was clear on his own. The handball went way over Crameri's head, Adelaide swarmed, mopped it up, took it to the other end and the rest is history

Axe Man
13-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Damo has been reading this thread

https://i.postimg.cc/26Ypqk5k/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogtragic
13-08-2021, 10:53 AM
How awesome has Damo been this year toward us. I almost love him. I actually read more of his stuff now, where it needs to be critical he is, but with so many positives this year he’s been fairly & very positive too. I much prefer the 2021 Damo. He’s taking over from Stevo.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2021, 01:02 AM
How awesome has Damo been this year toward us. I almost love him. I actually read more of his stuff now, where it needs to be critical he is, but with so many positives this year he’s been fairly & very positive too. I much prefer the 2021 Damo. He’s taking over from Stevo.

Who are you BT....
you're trading out Bailey Smith
and now you're in love with Damo... has your account been hacked????

bulldogtragic
14-08-2021, 08:25 AM
Who are you BT....
you're trading out Bailey Smith
and now you're in love with Damo... has your account been hacked????

Of course not, stupid sexy YHF.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2021, 12:39 PM
Of course not, stupid sexy YHF.

EW is now hacking WOOF Accounts. Is there no bar too low for him??

EasternWest
14-08-2021, 01:07 PM
EW is now hacking WOOF Accounts. Is there no bar too low for him??

There isn't, no.

Stop denying your stupid, sexiness.

bornadog
18-08-2021, 10:56 AM
Tom Morris reporting:

RICHMOND

“Callum Coleman-Jones, Gold Coast is just one of the clubs interested in him,” Morris said.

“The prevailing view for Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol is that one of them is going to be gettable at the end of the year. Both out of contract, both key-position players — watch that space very closely.

Any interest?

GVGjr
18-08-2021, 11:21 AM
Tom Morris reporting:

Any interest?

That would be a yes but we don't have the chips to get him

Mofra
18-08-2021, 12:05 PM
Chol is a FA but has shown no aptitude as a first ruck.
CCJ has been linked to GWS for a while and Richmond to Tom Greene.

That would be a yes but we don't have the chips to get him
2022 first with 2021 picks coming back would get a CCJ trade done but is that overpaying for what we want?

He's still a baby but looks more a ruck/forward than pure ruck. Perhaps that what the list managers want, I'd personally look more at a genuine first ruck.

Vred
18-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Been thinking.
Do we go all in on Sam Darcy with what little trade currency we have, or do we pass him up and try to land actual must-fill holes right now? I see us in our premiership window at the moment, and we have some glaring list issues, with the word on the street that Ed, Lippa and Wallis are shopping around, we might be lucky to pick up some 2nd/3rd round picks to target some ready-to-go players to fill our current needs.

I don't see how we can do both, as Darcy is projected to go top 5, as it stands we can't even get him without trading for picks. Can we go out and land, say, a Ladhams type AND get Darcy without completely screwing ourselves in next years draft? Do we pass on Darcy and go all in on what we need? I just don't see how the club can currently pull it off.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2021, 12:16 PM
There’s plenty of scope to get Darcy and trade for need.

Vred
18-08-2021, 12:20 PM
There’s plenty of scope to get Darcy and trade for need.

Without screwing ourselves for next year?

bulldogtragic
18-08-2021, 12:32 PM
Without screwing ourselves for next year?

All my essays have us only having a couple of late picks. Even in that we can use a line on Croft (F/S) and elevate rookies. Then using rookie draft picks. That’s predicated on Richards staying. If Richards leaves for a pick this year which gets split in two for Draft Points purposes. That could eliminate a draft points deficit with Wallis, Lipinski, Young, JJ.

That has us with 2 x First Rounders to trade, while securing Darcy, and having all picks next year except the First Rounder if it’s traded out.

We have a bit to work with, with or without Richards staying. Power has made clear we are in a trading phase. At the same time we will be taking Darcy, Bevo has said so. We just need to be creative.

bornadog
24-08-2021, 10:55 AM
Any interest in these out of contract Carlton players?

Jack Newnes, Jack Silvagni, Lachlan Fogarty, Lochie O’Brien, Marc Pittonet, Matt Cottrell, Matt Owies, Matthew Kennedy, Michael Gibbons, Nic Newman, Sam Petrevski-Seton and Will Setterfield.

azabob
24-08-2021, 11:44 AM

Jack Newnes, Jack Silvagni, Lachlan Fogarty, Lochie O’Brien, Marc Pittonet, Matt Cottrell, Matt Owies, Matthew Kennedy, Michael Gibbons, Nic Newman, Sam Petrevski-Seton and Will Setterfield.

I don't think so BAD. Positionally only Marc Pittonet is of interest - but I don't think he is that great. Where is Happy Days to give a one works summation of Pittonet's ability?

comrade
24-08-2021, 11:47 AM
I don't think so BAD. Positionally only Marc Pittonet is of interest - but I don't think he is that great. Where is Happy Days to give a one works summation of Pittonet's ability?

More like Marc Shittonet am I right?

GVGjr
24-08-2021, 11:48 AM

It will be interesting to see who they re sign.

I'd have some interest in Petrevski-Seton.

bornadog
24-08-2021, 11:53 AM

Another clean out coming at the Blues

GVGjr
24-08-2021, 12:57 PM
Another clean out coming at the Blues

They have a challenge because do they wait to see if a new coach is appointed and see what he wants our trust the list manager to make the right calls.

I don't envy the position they're in.

Mofra
24-08-2021, 02:28 PM
They have a challenge because do they wait to see if a new coach is appointed and see what he wants our trust the list manager to make the right calls.

It's entirely their own fault.
They started a rebuild, then abandoned it and spent $2.8m on four flankers.

Mofra
24-08-2021, 02:30 PM

None appeal from a list improvement point of view.
Last year I would have asked about Fogarty as I rated him at u18 level as a hard tackling defensive type but I'd rather back VDM/Garcia in now.

Note: I'm very glad Carlton took O'Brien and left Richards for us (thank you Monash traffic jam)

GVGjr
24-08-2021, 05:26 PM
It's entirely their own fault.
They started a rebuild, then abandoned it and spent $2.8m on four flankers.

Absolutely
They're 7 years into what was a 2 or 3 year rebuild

bornadog
24-08-2021, 05:51 PM
Absolutely
They're 7 years into what was a 2 or 3 year rebuild

GWS light

azabob
24-08-2021, 07:31 PM
Sydney appear to have salary cap problems.

Luke Parker reportedly chasing $700K which adds further to their issues.

I’m not suggesting we chase him but who can we target?

Do we chase Melican again?
Sinclair or McLean as a ruck?

Anyone else?

Dry Rot
24-08-2021, 09:49 PM
I really like McLean, but I think he is more a big clunk them forward than the ruckman we need.

Would be an interesting Bruce replacement.

Mofra
25-08-2021, 10:29 AM
I really like McLean, but I think he is more a big clunk them forward than the ruckman we need.

Would be an interesting Bruce replacement.
I also see him as more a forward than ruck, but don't think he is what we need.

1eyedog
25-08-2021, 01:29 PM

Anyone else?

What's going on with Ronke? My Swans supporting mate thinks he may even be cut this year. He was a first rounder and I remember him tearing it up a few years ago with two big bag games. Seems to have injury concerns but I also remember him having very good pressure.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2021, 01:37 PM
What's going on with Ronke? My Swans supporting mate thinks he may even be cut this year. He was a first rounder and I remember him tearing it up a few years ago with two big bag games. Seems to have injury concerns but I also remember him having very good pressure.

I had a look at his stats last night. Take out his 7 goal game and it’s pretty average reading. It was a hell of a game, but he might be a one hit wonder.

Mofra
25-08-2021, 01:44 PM
He was a rookie pick in 2017.
Jason Tutt mk 2. I don't think we'd have any interest

Bulldog4life
25-08-2021, 04:06 PM

Depends a lot if they get Cerra or not as to who they resign.

jeemak
25-08-2021, 04:08 PM

I relish the position they are in. If a new coach comes in and mandates a rebuild then they're effectively admitting there's no reason to be sacking Teague, because their list isn't up to it.

Mofra
26-08-2021, 09:09 AM

Anyone else?
Sam Reid as a KPD?
He breaks down too much as a forward and was coming off a $600k contract IIRC

azabob
26-08-2021, 09:28 AM
Sam Reid as a KPD?
He breaks down too much as a forward and was coming off a $600k contract IIRC

From memory he has actually played this role ok at Sydney. That is a good suggestion.

Yep coming off a lot of coin on a long term deal.

His body would be a major worry. I am too young to know if his dad was as injury prone as Sam and his brother Ben.

azabob
26-08-2021, 09:29 AM

Yep, out of contract this year and looks to be it. If there was interest it would be as a DFA.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2021, 10:03 AM
Melican looked solid a couple of years back. I know he had an injury or two, but might be worth a chat.

Never really seen it with Reid. Nice athlete but take that away and he's a bit laconic. Might as well persist with Schache.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Josh Battle might be up for grants. Bains recruited him while at St Kilda. Could be either used as a forward or defender.

comrade
26-08-2021, 10:46 AM
Josh Battle might be up for grants. Bains recruited him while at St Kilda. Could be either used as a forward or defender.

Not sure him and Marra would be a great mix.

Mofra
26-08-2021, 10:48 AM
Not sure him and Marra would be a great mix.
Something off field?
I like him behind the ball but I don't think he plays like a KPD who can shut down an opponent. More like that rebounding tallish type

soupman
26-08-2021, 10:49 AM
Yeah I like Battle but he is not a "big" tall and would be too expensive as a Bruce substitute for a year.

comrade
26-08-2021, 10:53 AM
Something off field?
I like him behind the ball but I don't think he plays like a KPD who can shut down an opponent. More like that rebounding tallish type

Battle was a previous Mia Fevola flame.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2021, 10:55 AM

And Dan Rioli.

Jam Donuts
26-08-2021, 11:09 AM

Who hasn't been

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2021, 11:52 AM

So you're saying they share common interests? ;)

Vred
26-08-2021, 12:07 PM
Who hasn't been

Me :(