PDA

View Full Version : Why Adam Cooney feels more welcome at Tullamarine than whitten oval

comrade
17-11-2020, 01:51 PM
Despite playing 219 games for the Western Bulldogs and being their only Brownlow Medallist of the 21st century, Adam Cooney admits he feels more welcome at his second club Essendon.

Cooney was traded to Essendon in the 2014 trade period and played 31 games for the club across 2015 and 2016 before retiring.

The former All-Australian says the Bombers have been in constant contact with him since he retired, while he hasn’t been welcomed back to the Whitten Oval since 2014.

“No (I don’t feel welcome back at the Bulldogs). I haven’t been back to the Bulldogs since I left,” Cooney told SEN SA Breakfast when asked.

Rest of the article is here (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/17/why-adam-cooney-feels-more-welcome-at-tullamarine-than-whitten-oval/?fbclid=IwAR00H4avfZxgD4vOYhpf3c5MvcTWOo7LAG4C8pRcke9UVehQ-rjS-FkbXYg)

comrade
17-11-2020, 01:54 PM
I don't have much time for Coons anymore as he is little more than an Essendon sycophant in his media duties, but I do hope the club reaches out to mend the bridge with him.

Topdog
17-11-2020, 02:12 PM
He is an attention seeking wanker.

Had no problems joining in with the Dogs in GF week.

bulldogtragic
17-11-2020, 02:24 PM
When you walked out the door saying that you've always wanted to play in front of big crowds...

Oh Adam we love you. Come back and slag us off to the footy media again. We the footy going Bulldogs love when you insult us. I can't believe people aren't bowing at your alter.

Ghost Dog
17-11-2020, 04:20 PM
What's the point of airing such a view? Light a candle, don't curse the darkness. If you feel happier at another club celebrate it and leave us out.

bornadog
17-11-2020, 04:26 PM
Ever since he started with Essendon he has basically forgotten about us. I am sure the past players have been in contact with him regarding events and getting involved but he has probably just ignored it.

As GD says, what is the point of this article, just another excuse to slag the Dogs.

G-Mo77
17-11-2020, 05:16 PM
Can't stand the tool. I hate seeing pictures of him in our colours. Much like Gryphen he's time is wiped from my memory, which isn't hard nowdays. Lol

Ghost Dog
17-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Can't stand the tool. I hate seeing pictures of him in our colours. Much like Gryphen he's time is wiped from my memory, which isn't hard nowdays. Lol

I find that a bit unfair on Ryan, to tell the truth. 10 years, two B and F, All Australian under us and very complementary towards Macca on exit. (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ryan-griffen-speaks-on-reasons-for-leaving-western-bulldogs-as-new-giant-looks-forward-to-fresh-start/news-story/b8890b4f38f2cff6a7b95da5ed4d82fc?i10c_ua=1&i10c_encReferrer=) <---- showing respect to us.

I have many good memories of watching him and he worked his guts out for us. There were times we were getting absolutely flogged and I clearly remember Ryan and Liam Picken especially refusing to give it up. eg: 47 possessions in a losing game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVIopnJlGxs) smashed by the Swans....

Cooney, a little bit different as a character, was never captain or anything like that. We had very consistent output from Ryan over his time with us. I'm not sure the way he left reflected his entire effort and it's a pity.
If I saw him at a Bulldogs function I'd really welcome him.

Ghost Dog
17-11-2020, 05:44 PM
https://www.athletesvoice.com.au/ryan-griffen-club-that-meant-everything/

I mean, read this article and tell me you don't have a little sympathy for him.
. To be honest I feel ( no basis for this, just a feeling ) it's quite likely a factor that Ryan left because he wasn't getting the right support. One factor. Not that he has ever mentioned that.

"There were some mixed emotions, I’ll admit that. All I’d wanted to do while I was playing there was win a flag. I knew how much the club and the fans wanted it. I’d put my body and soul on the line to try and achieve it, but it wasn’t to be.

At the same time, I was over the moon for everyone associated with the club, the fans and especially my mates who were on the field about to win the biggest prize of their careers."

"That first game against the Bulldogs was hard. Really hard. The Bulldogs meant everything to me and it hurt to be booed by the fans after playing there for 10 years."

His Dad passed away from cancer during his time with us. It's a good article that charts his journey that one.

azabob
17-11-2020, 06:14 PM
I didn’t hear it, but I bet Cooney was asked a question and he answered.

SEN then wrote a story about his answer...

comrade
17-11-2020, 06:15 PM
I didn’t hear it, but I bet Cooney was asked a question and he answered.

SEN then wrote a story about his answer...

Yeah, that’d be about it.

GVGjr
17-11-2020, 06:33 PM
Good luck to Cooney, if he felt happier at Essendon than at the Kennel that is his choice
I don't quite get why he is relevant in the media though. I have heard much from him that interests me but we should be reaching out to him.

The Pie Man
17-11-2020, 08:36 PM
“(The Bombers have) just been in constant conversation with me since I retired.’

Wonder why that is? And why Goddard seems to know everything to do with Essendon?

There’s a derogatory term for a person perceived as propagandizing for a cause without fully comprehending the cause's goals, and who is cynically used by the cause's leaders, but it feels a bit harsh to apply to a former Brownlow medalist of ours....though the shoe does fit

boydogs
17-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Good luck to Cooney, if he felt happier at Essendon than at the Kennel that is his choice
I don't quite get why he is relevant in the media though. I have heard much from him that interests me but we should be reaching out to him.

He's relatable like Dane Swan, doesn't care about political correctness

Sedat
17-11-2020, 10:24 PM
Coons is welcome to enjoy his 2016 wooden spoon reunions.

Vred
18-11-2020, 11:34 AM
Nothing but an Essendon mouth piece, he lost his Dogs tags when he pissed off to that Drug-cheat joint.

Bulldog Revolution
18-11-2020, 04:21 PM
He may have closer connections because he played with more of the current bombers players but over time his sense of his allegiance and his club may change

Either way, it doesnt phase me

He was a great Bulldog in his day and should be remembered as such - shame his knees didnt hold up for longer but at his best he was a jet

azabob
18-11-2020, 06:46 PM
I'm more annoyed this rubbish article is on the WOOF homepage and is the first thing I see when I log on rather than what Cooney says or thinks.

I propose a motion to either delete it or put it in the Follow Our Exs thread.

GVGjr
18-11-2020, 06:47 PM
I'm more annoyed this rubbish article is on the WOOF homepage and is the first think I see when I log on rather than what Cooney says or thinks.

I propose a motion to either delete it or put it in the Follow Our Exs thread.

The 3rd option is to post a more appropriate thread :)

ledge
19-11-2020, 08:10 AM
To be honest I think he should thank us for giving him the chance to prolong his career , his knee was shot at 22 we nursed him and he gave us good service but he was done when he went , bombers are a sucker for any big name player just to make it look like they are a destination club.

Cooney was nothing but an ordinary player with them due to his knee.

HOSE B ROMERO
19-11-2020, 06:35 PM
He may have closer connections because he played with more of the current bombers players but over time his sense of his allegiance and his club may change

Either way, it doesnt phase me

He was a great Bulldog in his day and should be remembered as such - shame his knees didnt hold up for longer but at his best he was a jet

Likewise. I remember Barry Hall saying that he felt more of an allegiance to us the Swans. And while i liked to hear it i thought that was a shame as he won a flag and was a leader at Sydney.

I'd be happy for all our ex's to be back involved with the past players. Even Aker. And even Jakovich despite the fact that his fatness and lack of fitness killed off my high hopes for the 1996 season.

Anyway each to there own.

Twodogs
19-11-2020, 08:06 PM
Likewise. I remember Barry Hall saying that he felt more of an allegiance to us the Swans. And while i liked to hear it i thought that was a shame as he won a flag and was a leader at Sydney.

I'd be happy for all our ex's to be back involved with the past players. Even Aker. And even Jakovich despite the fact that his fatness and lack of fitness killed off my high hopes for the 1996 season.

Barry grew up as a bulldog supporter though, that might have had a bit to do with it. Him playing for us was the realisation of a long term ambition for him.

SonofScray
20-11-2020, 03:55 PM
The guy is a goose. Essendon and Cooney are a good fit.

Don't give a stuff about how he feels about the Club, those bridges have been burned and you can't take anything from him in good faith because of the media role and Essendon Kool aid.

ledge
20-11-2020, 05:07 PM
Just saw a post from Scott west on FB saying he is a top bloke but for him to say he hasn’t been asked back to the club is bullshit.
Scott is on the past players committee and said they send him invites for every turn they have but he has never turned up or replied
Says he will always be welcomed like any other past player.

bornadog
20-11-2020, 05:09 PM
Just saw a post from Scott west on FB saying he is a top bloke but for him to say he hasn’t been asked back to the club is bullshit.
Scott is on the past players committee and said they send him invites for every turn they have but he has never turned up or replied
Says he will always be welcomed like any other past player.

As I suspected.

ledge
20-11-2020, 06:00 PM
Barry grew up as a bulldog supporter though, that might have had a bit to do with it. Him playing for us was the realisation of a long term ambition for him.

He was shitty with the swans because they wouldn’t let him come over the year before.
If that had happened we could well have had 3 premierships.

Ghost Dog
20-11-2020, 06:03 PM

Roos and Barry didn't part on good terms.
Barry was lucky not to be charged with manslaughter while at the Swans....
And with us. Scott Thompson is still trying to swallow properly.
But such a well balanced, ballet-like kick of the ball.

HOSE B ROMERO
20-11-2020, 07:26 PM
Roos and Barry didn't part on good terms.
Barry was lucky not to be charged with manslaughter while at the Swans....
And with us. Scott Thompson is still trying to swallow properly.
But such a well balanced, ballet-like kick of the ball.

I remember hearing Scotty Thompson's mum on the Coodabeen's; When asked how concerned she was when Barry had Scott in a headlock and wasn't letting go, she simply replied 'Nah, he probably deserved it anyway'.

Sorry, back to Coons.

Twodogs
20-11-2020, 10:05 PM
I remember hearing Scotty Thompson's mum on the Coodabeen's; When asked how concerned she was when Barry had Scott in a headlock and wasn't letting go, she simply replied 'Nah, he probably deserved it anyway'.

Sorry, back to Coons.

Pretty much what my mum would have said. "You should have left him in peace to do his boot laces up. I'd have done the same thing"

ledge
21-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Pretty much what my mum would have said. "You should have left him in peace to do his boot laces up. I'd have done the same thing"

I got hit by a car riding my bike once going under the tunnel at totty gates and
I got what they called inked as an apprentice printer which involved having your private parts covered in letterpress ink as an Initiation
And the reply I always got from mum was “What did you do wrong ?”
You probably deserved it. !

jeemak
21-11-2020, 10:40 AM
I got hit by a car riding my bike once going under the tunnel at totty gates and
I got what they called inked as an apprentice printer which involved having your private parts covered in letterpress ink as an Initiation

Ok.....that's enough internet for me this morning.

Twodogs
21-11-2020, 10:43 AM
Ok.....that's enough internet for me this morning.

That could be interpreted a couple of ways.

Twodogs
21-11-2020, 10:48 AM

Years ago I got a promotion at work. It meant I was the youngest person ever to attain the level I was at in the history of Australia (it was a public service job) boss was rapt called me in to his office and told me that it made him look really good, my co workers were all rapt, union was rapt, even the clients we worked with were rapt.

After a day of everyone telling me how good I was I went home and told my dear old mum. She gave me a blank look and said "you? Are they sure?"

ledge
21-11-2020, 10:57 AM
Years ago I got a promotion at work. It meant I was the youngest person ever to attain the level I was at in the history of Australia (it was a public service job) boss was rapt called me in to his office and told me that it made him look really good, my co workers were all rapt, union was rapt, even the clients we worked with were rapt.

After a day of everyone telling me how good I was I went home and told my dear old mum. She gave me a blank look and said "you? Are they sure?"

If anyone can knock us off a pedestal in a millisecond it’s our mum.
Encouraging but loves a good back handed compliment.

Twodogs
21-11-2020, 11:54 AM
If anyone can knock us off a pedestal in a millisecond it’s our mum.
Encouraging but loves a good back handed compliment.

There are three people still living that I'd lay down my life for. Mum's one of them.

jeemak
21-11-2020, 11:56 AM
Which of your two kids is being sacrificed for Kelvin Templeton?

Twodogs
21-11-2020, 01:19 PM
Which of your two kids is being sacrificed for Kelvin Templeton?

The boy is twice my size and strength and I taught him how to fight, no point having a dog and barking yourself. I'd just be getting in the way.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-11-2020, 06:59 PM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/bulldogs-legend-scott-west-responds-to-claim-adam-cooney-has-been-shunned-by-club/news-story/d19e35043dfd1002c2b839b480e30748?fbclid=IwAR2uMaOlF_VJD0Tk1U 7lsd-K7ERViPWVCZ6mwG1TeE3eAOjhOqoQqHhZsOs

As per Ledges comment

comrade
23-11-2020, 06:48 AM
Westy goes whack!

As an aside, is this the most Bulldogs picture of all time?

https://i.ibb.co/NKpnVS0/7-DA28-D50-C606-491-F-A5-A5-7-C37-FCF12-D5-D.jpg (https://ibb.co/2dPYnNz)

ledge
23-11-2020, 04:41 PM
Scott married Our cheer squad organiser a year or so ago.
He has never really left the club.