PDA

View Full Version : Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

Pages : 1 [2] 3

bornadog
10-06-2021, 02:29 PM
What would you trade him for? Two single figure first rounders?

Hey :D

https://media1.giphy.com/media/3o7WIQ4FARJdpmUni8/giphy-downsized-large.gif

bulldogtragic
10-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Sam was reading from a document on his laptop. He wasn’t saying things off the top of his head he knew to be true, he was saying things carefully structured when he had time to write it.

From SEN twitter video: He didn’t say Jamarra had offers. He didn’t say Jamarra was seeking offers. He didn’t say Jamarra’s Manager was active in this space. He didn’t say clubs were contacting Sam Power. He didn’t invoke Tom Boyd’s name even though that’s the exact scenario as outlined to invoke Tom Boyd’s name. He criticised Schache playing against Richmond, and didn’t mention Josh’s bag of five goals in the VFL to earn promotion. He said Schache didn’t get near it. How is Josh’s output in that game some test about whether Jamarra wants out or wants to flirt with it? He didn’t mention Bevo’s comments or Jamarras own recent comments about earning a spot. He didn’t say Fevola was pushing him to do or not do things (because he’s not). He didn’t say Jamarra is a bulldog for at least another 18 months as of today. He didn’t flesh out any of the circumstances. He mentioned where would Bevo even play him with Naughton, Bruce & English? That’s not dispositive of anything. He’s our quickest forward. Maybe we could play him forward. This was a careful click bait statement. Ask yourself why things were not said and why he was reading off essentially a TelePrompTer.

So it’s some clubs maybe circling (if true, maybe they’re shit stirring. Or it’s not true. Unnamed clubs and unnamed sources say they’ll get Pick 1 from last year...). Then Jamarra wants to play and may be open to offers. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s a lie. Maybe it’s Jamarra’s Manager trying to push his name up. Maybe Sam Power has given Jamarra a contract extension, and because of the limited exposure it’s not the dollars or years that he wants. Maybe a story about others clubs Interest is designed to drive up the years/dollars. Has this ever happened before? Ask yourself are these scenarios as likely or more likely than Edmund’s sensationalist words.

There’s no smoke. There’s no fire. There’s no problem. Other than the standard of ‘footy journalism’ in our code. It’s sad and pathetic that ‘professionals’ lower themselves to Twitter trolls.

bulldogtragic
10-06-2021, 02:32 PM

Wouldn’t. He’s hot going anywhere.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-06-2021, 02:37 PM

If we were in a situation where our hands are tied, yeah that at a minimum. But, if the club poaching him has a good KPD, I'd be demanding him AND a first rounder.

Now, what's the bet if this eventuates that the club will be Essendon?

comrade
10-06-2021, 02:38 PM
If we were in a situation where our hands are tied, yeah that at a minimum. But, if the club poaching him has a good KPD, I'd be demanding him AND a first rounder.

Now, what's the bet if this eventuates that the club will be Essendon?

Nik Cox thanks.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-06-2021, 02:40 PM
Sam was reading from a document on his laptop. He wasn’t saying things off the top of his head he knew to be true, he was saying things carefully structured when he had time to write it.

From SEN twitter video: He didn’t say Jamarra had offers. He didn’t say Jamarra was seeking offers. He didn’t say Jamarra’s Manager was active in this space. He didn’t say clubs were contacting Sam Power. He didn’t invoke Tom Boyd’s name even though that’s the exact scenario as outlined to invoke Tom Boyd’s name. He criticised Schache playing against Richmond, and didn’t mention Josh’s bag of five goals in the VFL to earn promotion. He said Schache didn’t get near it. How is Josh’s output in that game some test about whether Jamarra wants out or wants to flirt with it? He didn’t mention Bevo’s comments or Jamarras own recent comments about earning a spot. He didn’t say Fevola was pushing him to do or not do things (because he’s not). He didn’t say Jamarra is a bulldog for at least another 18 months as of today. He didn’t flesh out any of the circumstances. He mentioned where would Bevo even play him with Naughton, Bruce & English? That’s not dispositive of anything. He’s our quickest forward. Maybe we could play him forward. This was a careful click bait statement. Ask yourself why things were not said and why he was reading off essentially a TelePrompTer.

So it’s some clubs maybe circling (if true, maybe they’re shit stirring. Or it’s not true. Unnamed clubs and unnamed sources say they’ll get Pick 1 from last year...). Then Jamarra wants to play and may be open to offers. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s a lie. Maybe it’s Jamarra’s Manager trying to push his name up. Maybe Sam Power has given Jamarra a contract extension, and because of the limited exposure it’s not the dollars or years that he wants. Maybe a story about others clubs Interest is designed to drive up the years/dollars. Has this ever happened before? Ask yourself are these scenarios as likely or more likely than Edmund’s sensationalist words.

There’s no smoke. There’s no fire. There’s no problem. Other than the standard of ‘footy journalism’ in our code. It’s sad and pathetic that ‘professionals’ lower themselves to Twitter trolls.

Agree with all of this. But I also thought the same thing when the rumours first surfaced about Dunkley wanting out because Bevo was playing him in the ruck sometimes.

Happy Days
10-06-2021, 02:43 PM
I don’t know about the substance of this but I reckon I definitely know where Edmund is getting his info from.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-06-2021, 02:43 PM
It's a hell of a pickle for the club. Normally number 1 picks are going to bottom rated teams, who are better placed to give games to their top picks early.
We're contending and not really in a position to play him if he's not earned his spot.
I can see how this could get sticky, as I presume Jamarra has a healthy ego and wants the stage now. But I equally support the match committee to continue to do what is right for our 2021 season.
Play him when they think he's earned it

Yeah it's a tricky one. I don't think he's ready yet and unfortunately with COVID and concussion, he hasn't had many chances to put his name up for selection. Normally if a player, in such a scenario, starts sooking about wanting a game I'd be more than willing to move them on. But Jamarra is one of a kind. We will have to give in somewhat (assuming any of this has any truth at all). But we're looking at a tilt for the flag so we can't just be gifting games to someone because they were selected no 1. Maybe the game against North is the right time to do it? Let's hope the VFL can resume soon.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-06-2021, 02:44 PM
I don’t know about the substance of this but I reckon I definitely know where Edmund is getting his info from.

Big Footy?

bulldogtragic
10-06-2021, 02:48 PM
Agree with all of this. But I also thought the same thing when the rumours first surfaced about Dunkley wanting out because Bevo was playing him in the ruck sometimes.

Where’s Dunkley playing right now? :D

Happy Days
10-06-2021, 02:50 PM
Big Footy?

Well its not from Jamarra and its not from his girlfriend but it is from his girlfriend’s dad and its from Brendan Fevola.

DOG GOD
10-06-2021, 03:01 PM
Well its not from Jamarra and its not from his girlfriend but it is from his girlfriend’s dad and its from Brendan Fevola.

The main reason I wasn’t happy when I heard who Jamarra’s girlfriend was.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-06-2021, 03:01 PM

Big Footy.

Brendan Fevola.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-06-2021, 03:02 PM

Oh that d**khead. Can someone intervene with Jamarra's relationship there? It needs to end. That mans influence can only be negative.

Topdog
10-06-2021, 04:08 PM
I dont see Fev as someone that will go around using ppl like Sam, he would much prefer the spotlight himself.

comrade
10-06-2021, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately, this is the type of scrutiny that comes with a) bring the #1 pick and b) becoming an increasingly bigger and more relevant club.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-06-2021, 07:42 PM
Well the media smell blood. It’s even worse in typed words.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2021-harry-mckay-collingwood-essendon-jarrod-brander-west-coast-contract/news-story/51a34bd80869917688121a3d9982c017?fbclid=IwAR1urJBCXVmdr_Lm0b 7D6WR30Q42d66npVgkwL3trKPdEpLYlRtNUxveOkA

bulldogtragic
10-06-2021, 07:57 PM
Nah. This is the footy media now.

1. Tom Browne makes up shit. Or this time Edmund.
2. Other seperate news outlet reports said made up shit as a seperate story using Edmund as the source.

I still see nothing in what he carefully said to give anyone concern. People click on the video. People click on the article. People see it on social media. That’s the game here, say shit without actually saying it is to make money.

Frankie says relax.

angelopetraglia
10-06-2021, 08:24 PM
Round 16. Next home game. Play him. Let him taste it. Show him some love.

Dry Rot
10-06-2021, 08:35 PM
Round 16. Next home game. Play him. Let him taste it. Show him some love.

Say we do.

Whose place in the side does JUH take?

comrade
10-06-2021, 08:37 PM
Say we do.

Whose place in the side does JUH take?

Hannan.

bulldogtragic
10-06-2021, 08:41 PM
This was last week. Jamarra talking to Easton & Bob, via our website:

Western Bulldogs key forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan says he’ll remain patient as he continues to work towards an AFL debut.

Ugle-Hagan has missed the last three weeks of football – two of those as a result of the AFL’s concussion protocols, and a third when last weekend’s VFL round was abandoned because of Victoria’s latest coronavirus cluster.

Despite having to watch a number of players from the 2020 draft class debut at the senior level over the last month, the 19-year-old said he trusts the process and will work hard to earn his opportunity.

“It’s obviously tough (waiting), but we’ve got such a strong team,” Ugle-Hagan told Bob Murphy and Easton Wood on last week’s Barkly St podcast.

“Obviously I’m still a rookie, so I’m going to listen to what the professionals and the coach (says).

“Luke Beveridge knows what he’s doing, so I’m just going to let him do what he does, and I’ll sit by the sidelines until I’m ready.”

Raised in Framlingham, an Indigenous community about 25km north-east of Warnambool, Ugle-Hagan said receiving attention from some of the league’s most talented Indigenous players still comes as a shock to him.

“On draft night, I received a couple of messages even before the draft from Eddie Betts, Charlie Cameron and a couple of others,” he said.

“Even when you see them they’ll say congratulations and stuff so it’s like they know (you), and it’s crazy how they notice stuff.

“Even though you’re playing in the same league, you still feel special because last year I was just a kid watching the AFL, but now I’m in the league so it’s pretty exciting.”

Grantysghost
10-06-2021, 08:56 PM
Robert Murphy has stupidly responded now: he's apparently SHOCKED! A story his own station fabricated based on twisted half truths.

Amateur hour from him, not sure his other employer will be overly excited by it.

Murph, you dissapoint.

bulldogtragic
10-06-2021, 09:01 PM
Robert Murphy has stupidly responded now: he's apparently SHOCKED! A story his own station fabricated based on twisted half truths.

Amateur hour from him, not sure his other employer will be overly excited by it.

Murph, you dissapoint.

That’s what SEN pay him to say. He didn’t say anything like it last week on his podcast last week with Jamarra.

As far as I see, nothing in The Age, nor HUN, nor AFL.com.au, nor Foxtel coverage tonight. If this was a real story the pile on would’ve started hours ago. Why is no one else reporting it but Edmund I wonder?

comrade
10-06-2021, 09:01 PM

Murph, you dissapoint.

Yeah, I heard that too. Why wouldn't he just pour cold water over the whole thing and make mention of the sit down he had with Marra less than a few weeks ago where this exact topic was discussed.

bulldogtragic
10-06-2021, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I heard that too. Why wouldn't he just pour cold water over the whole thing and make mention of the sit down he had with Marra less than a few weeks ago where this exact topic was discussed.

SEN don’t pay him for that. The people who really follow all things RW&B can see through it.

Grantysghost
10-06-2021, 09:26 PM

Very odd. I don't listen to any AFL media I just can't take it but I've had 20 messages in the last two hours because Murph basically gave the story legs.

Not sure it was his finest work considering he just spoke to him.

This in particular puts the acid on a kid and gives the story cred.

“But the pessimistic (side) of me is it’s too early to be getting the grumbles around not getting everything he wants (at the Bulldogs) and maybe things would be better elsewhere, that’s more of a concern.”

bulldogtragic
10-06-2021, 09:38 PM
How is what Bob said giving what Edmund said cred? I went to read it, Bob prefaced it saying if you take Edmunds report at face value.

Nothing Bob said substantiates anything Edmund hints at.

FrediKanoute
10-06-2021, 09:47 PM
whilst this is all probably just fantasy, if I was Nth Melb/Carlton/The Hawks i would certainly be putting together a package to try and woo JUH from us. It's what we did with Tom Boyd.

Happy Days
10-06-2021, 09:56 PM
He hosts a drive time radio show. It’s gonna come up, what’s he supposed to do?

Grantysghost
10-06-2021, 10:08 PM
How is what Bob said giving what Edmund said cred? I went to read it, Bob prefaced it saying if you take Edmunds report at face value.

Nothing Bob said substantiates anything Edmund hints at.

Well it's the standard formula they use to fabricate sh1t and he'd be well aware of that.

"Shocked" is always going to be a fuel source for a story like this.

Rake up crap->wrap it up as an exclusive->get legend reaction.

Formulate and perpetuate.

I'm sure it was all pre-planned, it's nothing surprising to me.

I'm just a little miffed considering the guy works for the club, but I guess he's entitled to respond and I respect that.

It's certainly worked, I've had many messages after the Murphy quote none prior.

KT31
10-06-2021, 10:15 PM

Murph, you dissapoint.

These were my thoughts as well, to many times our ex-players open their trap giving credit to bullshit articles.

bulldogtragic
10-06-2021, 10:21 PM
Jamarra will be a bulldogs player for at least next year when his rookie contract expires.

jeemak
10-06-2021, 10:26 PM
Does anyone want me to start a trade Ugle-Hagan thread?

comrade
10-06-2021, 10:31 PM
VFL is scheduled to be back next week.

That gives him 2 games before the North game. Let’s hope he gets through both and we then decide to give him a taste of what it really takes to play at the top level. He either rises to the occasion or he learns how far off he is.

Sedat
10-06-2021, 10:32 PM

Murph, you dissapoint.
Bob simply proving what an ordinary media performer he is. He and Nick Riewoldt started their media careers as credible recent ex players with a deep knowledge of the game - Bob has gone the shock jock route while Riewoldt has become a very credible analyst of the game. I know whose media career will be much longer and more successful.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-06-2021, 07:15 AM

Can you just make a recurring weekly booking for yourself at the Yarraville nets?

1eyedog
11-06-2021, 08:43 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpfsGrNvnk

azabob
11-06-2021, 08:54 AM
Well it's the standard formula they use to fabricate sh1t and he'd be well aware of that.

"Shocked" is always going to be a fuel source for a story like this.

Rake up crap->wrap it up as an exclusive->get legend reaction.

Formulate and perpetuate.

I'm sure it was all pre-planned, it's nothing surprising to me.

I'm just a little miffed considering the guy works for the club, but I guess he's entitled to respond and I respect that.

It's certainly worked, I've had many messages after the Murphy quote none prior.

Does that say more about your mates than Murphy?

Grantysghost
11-06-2021, 09:12 AM
Does that say more about your mates than Murphy?

Do we have overflow nets if Yarraville are full?

Spotty?

Happy Days
11-06-2021, 09:26 AM

Spotty?

Move the main event to centre wicket

Happy Days
11-06-2021, 09:31 AM
I feel like it’s kinda going unsaid, but say there is something to this - I’m way more concerned with Jamarra thinking he’s entitled to a best 22 spot at a top 2 team rather than taking it as an indication that he needs to develop his game like every other drafted player in history.

The Pie Man
11-06-2021, 09:37 AM
I feel like it’s kinda going unsaid, but say there is something to this - I’m way more concerned with Jamarra thinking he’s entitled to a best 22 spot at a top 2 team rather than taking it as an indication that he needs to develop his game like every other drafted player in history.

There’s been some great examples of guys grinding to get an opportunity right in front of him too (Khamis the most obvious)

*If* I had a say, I might’ve played him against Richmond, but in reality he’s not ready at all and needs to wear out a few pairs of runners before he is.

Hopefully he’s not a distraction internally and shows up with the required attitude

1eyedog
11-06-2021, 09:44 AM
Move the main event to centre wicket

Keeper back 30 paces he's coming off a long run.

jeemak
11-06-2021, 10:19 AM

It's not like we're hearing stories about him banging the door down due to the extra sessions and effort he's putting in. Perhaps I missed it, but the only stories I'm hearing are about frustration and name dropping at bogan nightclubs........

That could be an issue with the club's PR process, or it could be an issue with his work rate.

comrade
11-06-2021, 10:39 AM
It's made its way to news.com.au now, have had some non-Dogs mates screen shot the article and send it to me.

MrMahatma
11-06-2021, 10:40 AM
Well, how about we just take the kid on face value and that being he knows what Bevo expects and is on board with it.

Tough fwd line to break into at the moment. His time will come and let’s just hope the longer it takes for that moment to arrive, the better prepared he is for it. We all want him to be the player he’s touted to be.

Happy Days
11-06-2021, 10:43 AM
It's made its way to news.com.au now, have had some non-Dogs mates screen shot the article and send it to me.

I don’t think it’s paywalled - https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs/uglehagan-trade-rumours-heat-up-amid-dogs-discontent/news-story/0dfe1a0f6e108348f58fed9955a6794d

It’s just an amalgamation of what’s already out there anyway.

1eyedog
11-06-2021, 11:13 AM

Yeah its gone viral. We need to make a response now.

GVGjr
11-06-2021, 11:14 AM

I think we gave up 6 picks to land him so we are committed. No way there is a trade scenario
This is a media beat up to get us to play him.

comrade
11-06-2021, 11:20 AM
Yeah its gone viral. We need to make a response now.

Good luck to the journo that asks Bevo about it :D

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-06-2021, 12:17 PM
Please let it be Damien Barrett

Twodogs
11-06-2021, 12:21 PM
Please let it be Damien Barrett

And there is a toilet bowl nearby.

Ozza
11-06-2021, 12:31 PM
Bob simply proving what an ordinary media performer he is. He and Nick Riewoldt started their media careers as credible recent ex players with a deep knowledge of the game - Bob has gone the shock jock route while Riewoldt has become a very credible analyst of the game. I know whose media career will be much longer and more successful.

Did you listen to the segment where Bob and Andy spoke about/responded to the report?

comrade
11-06-2021, 12:34 PM
Did you listen to the segment where Bob and Andy spoke about/responded to the report?

I did and thought Bob could have done a lot more to address/squash it simply by referring to the conversation he had with Marra on the Dogs podcast. He didn't do that and actually gave it some legs by accepting the report 'at face value'.

MrMahatma
11-06-2021, 01:19 PM
Well, how about we just take the kid on face value and that being he knows what Bevo expects and is on board with it.

Tough fwd line to break into at the moment. His time will come and let’s just hope the longer it takes for that moment to arrive, the better prepared he is for it. We all want him to be the player he’s touted to be.

Mofra
11-06-2021, 01:22 PM
... or the fact he's hungry to make and impact and wants to play against the best as soon as he can?

I'm not even sure Marra being hungry to play in the senior team is a bad thing. He's got drive. Good.

Axe Man
11-06-2021, 01:34 PM
“A SNOWFLAKE'S CHANCE IN HELL”: UGLE-HAGAN IS GOING NOWHERE (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/11/a-snowflakes-chance-in-hell-ugle-hagan-is-going-nowhere/)

Garry Lyon believes the Western Bulldogs will pay little heed to rumours swirling around first-year forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

It was reported by Sam Edmund on Thursday that clubs are enquiring after the 19-year-old, who is yet to debut after he was selected at No. 1 in the 2020 national draft.

“This is only my opinion, but there is a snowflake’s chance in hell they would entertain any offer for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan,” Lyon told SEN Breakfast.

Deprived of his draft year, the key forward arrived at Whitten Oval with a low fitness base, and anti-density rules at reserve level have limited his capacity to build it.

He has watched on as Josh Bruce and Aaron Naughton have kicked 63 goals between them to sit third and equal-sixth in the Coleman Medal race, respectively.

Ugle-Hagan was named as an emergency for three consecutive games from Rounds 6-8, indicating he was inching closer to a senior appearance, but a concussion and the Melbourne lockdown have set him back.

Tim Watson says he can empathise with the top selection’s frustrations, given young key position players are thriving in other environments.

Crows forward Riley Thilthorpe has kicked 13 goals in seven games, the Swans’ Logan McDonald has impressed next to Lance Franklin, while Essendon’s Nik Cox was the Round 12 Rising Star nominee, flourishing as a tall on the wing.

“You’re watching your other mates making their debut at other AFL clubs, and you’re still not getting picked,” Watson explained.

"I can understand the kid is impatient and thinking, ‘what about me?’

“Maybe he can’t see it exactly as it is from the Bulldogs’ perspective right now. Hopefully he’s getting the right advice.”

Lyon emphasised his appreciation for the Dogs’ careful approach to their blue-chip selection.

“Great clubs, which the Western Bulldogs are, manage this, and they’ll manage it beautifully. Luke Beveridge is a great person,” he enthused.

“If I were the Western Bulldogs, I would hope he’s not happy. I would hope he’s banging down the door saying ‘why aren’t I playing, get me in there’.

“(And that) he sits and listens and understands why he’s not, and continues to push hard.”

The Dogs will have a rest this weekend, before a trip down the highway to defend their top two position from an ascendant Geelong.

They have not won at Kardinia Park since 2003, when Ugle-Hagan was just one year old.

ReLoad
11-06-2021, 01:37 PM
What a crock of a story!

We get the following from players:
He wants to leave to play in a successful team.
He wants to leave because the team is too successful.
He wants to leave because of the horrendous culture.
He wants to leave because he cant break into the leadership group.
He wants to leave because the medicos cant get his body right.
He wants to leave because hes never felt better in years and isnt getting an opportunity.

Now we can add:
He wants to leave because he is a first year player and isn't in the best 22?

Excuse me while i go take 2 and have a lay down.

Grantysghost
11-06-2021, 01:40 PM
Garry responded correctly.

comrade
11-06-2021, 01:47 PM
Garry Lyon as the supportive voice of reason was not on my bingo card today.

Topdog
11-06-2021, 03:07 PM
Garry Lyon as the supportive voice of reason was not on my bingo card today.

Yeah odd to be in agreement with Garry and Tim!

Bulldog4life
11-06-2021, 03:14 PM
The main reason I wasn’t happy when I heard who Jamarra’s girlfriend was.

Exactly how I thought DG. Jamarra said on Barkley street podcast that he is staying at the Fevolas. Bob quickly went to another question.

Bulldog4life
11-06-2021, 03:24 PM
Jamarra grew up being a very keen Bummer supporter. There is nothing in it I'm sure.

Sedat
11-06-2021, 05:16 PM
I don't listen to that program. However I have heard enough of Bob's media career to date to make my own personal judgement on it. From my perspective, he is a terrible media performer. He is also deeply underwhelming as a footy analyst. Just an observation, but SEN seems like a poor fit for him - his oeuvre screams the ABC, where his contrived and manufactured style would fit like a hand in glove.

KT31
11-06-2021, 11:28 PM
Spotty?
Under Reno’s, new ones on Dougie Pde at Digman Reserve.:D

Go_Dogs
12-06-2021, 10:04 AM
Not at all worried about this. Let’s get him another 4 week block of footy (hopefully that starts again soon) and get him into the senior side. Sounds like he’s been doing the work on aerobic fitness the past few weeks. The little break may actually play to his advantage.

Twodogs
12-06-2021, 07:18 PM
Under Reno’s, new ones on Dougie Pde at Digman Reserve.:D

I played with Maribyrnong at Digman Reserve for a couple of seasons. At training one night I talked to one of the other guys about legspin for 20 minutes. I learned more about it in those 20 minutes than I had learned in 25 years of bowling it.He was amazing.

macca
13-06-2021, 07:35 PM
I played with Maribyrnong at Digman Reserve for a couple of seasons. At training one night I talked to one of the other guys about legspin for 20 minutes. I learned more about it in those 20 minutes than I had learned in 25 years of bowling it.He was amazing.

Would love to read about your 20 min summary ? :)

GVGjr
14-06-2021, 08:20 AM
Not at all worried about this. Let’s get him another 4 week block of footy (hopefully that starts again soon) and get him into the senior side. Sounds like he’s been doing the work on aerobic fitness the past few weeks. The little break may actually play to his advantage.

I suspect he will land in the side within the next couple of weeks and it's going to be exciting for the supporters when he debut's.

Twodogs
14-06-2021, 06:46 PM
Would love to read about your 20 min summary ? :)

Basically it centred about walking through the crease in the delivery stride and not jumping at the point of delivery. Also dropping your shoulder to give the wrong 'un and top spinner a bit of a rip and really get it turning When you get it right you should know as the ball leaves your hand how it's going to go by the batsman's foot position and your follow through. He also showed me to bowl with a bit of a round arm to give the normal leggie a bit more loop through the air and make it drop on the batsman.

KT31
14-06-2021, 08:10 PM

Always happy to pass on some wisdom to a young bloke.:D

Twodogs
14-06-2021, 09:45 PM
Always happy to pass on some wisdom to a young bloke.:D

I've played with a lot of clubs but I enjoyed my time at Digman more than I did nearly anywhere else. They were a great bunch of guys to play with.

KT31
14-06-2021, 11:01 PM
I've played with a lot of clubs but I enjoyed my time at Digman more than I did nearly anywhere else. They were a great bunch of guys to play with.
We would have definitely crossed paths on the field TD, I played at on the Digman reserve for over 20 years.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2021, 09:21 PM
Jon Ralph: His debut is off as far as ever. Needs to put 4-5 good games together.

Maybe the pressure is off.

comrade
18-06-2021, 10:01 PM
Jon Ralph: His debut is off as far as ever. Needs to put 4-5 good games together.

Maybe the pressure is off.

Good.

To answer the question in the title of the thread: right now, not very.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2021, 10:03 PM
Good.

To answer the question in the title of the thread: right now, not very.

In the abstract, pumped. In the here and now, joining you.

jeemak
19-06-2021, 04:47 PM
How did he go yesterday? Was a first game back after five weeks, would expect that he'd need a couple of weeks.

DOG GOD
19-06-2021, 04:50 PM
Is it possible that we may not see Marra play a game this year ? It wouldn’t surprise me.

comrade
19-06-2021, 04:54 PM
Is it possible that we may not see Marra play a game this year ? It wouldn’t surprise me.

Would need to improve a lot, but we may gift him one to show him the level required. No where near it on merit right now.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2021, 04:56 PM
How did he go yesterday? Was a first game back after five weeks, would expect that he'd need a couple of weeks.

Very poor. Two late goals, one from a dodgy free. But everything else was quite poor. The media won’t be pushing it hard and Jon Ralph was first to come out and say his debut seems a mile off with performances like that.

Hotdog60
19-06-2021, 04:59 PM
I think it would be a good idea to gift him a game to taste the waters at the top level but we have to be careful which game it is. Also we have a bad habit of dropping games we should win so if JUH is that under done it could cost us in we would potentially be playing a man short.
I can also just picture him being left high and dry by the players up field if there not confident in what he can offer.

bornadog
19-06-2021, 05:15 PM
I think it would be a good idea to gift him a game to taste the waters at the top level but we have to be careful which game it is. Also we have a bad habit of dropping games we should win so if JUH is that under done it could cost us in we would potentially be playing a man short.
I can also just picture him being left high and dry by the players up field if there not confident in what he can offer.

Surely he would do better than Hannan

bulldogtragic
19-06-2021, 05:22 PM

Young as a forward is better than Hannan. At least Young has good hands and can close check an opponent. Pretty much everyone is better than Hannan right now.

jeemak
19-06-2021, 05:53 PM
Very poor. Two late goals, one from a dodgy free. But everything else was quite poor. The media won’t be pushing it hard and Jon Ralph was first to come out and say his debut seems a mile off with performances like that.

They won't be pushing for his inclusion, rather, they'll be lamenting our management of him and suggesting we've not developed him properly.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2021, 06:00 PM
They won't be pushing for his inclusion, rather, they'll be lamenting our management of him and suggesting we've not developed him properly.

Expect anything else? They have to keep the story going somehow? Play him this week, he stinks it up, then we’ve burned Schache after he kicks 6 and Schache should demand a trade because we are not rewarding form.

Happy Days
19-06-2021, 06:21 PM
We should legit keep Schache in the twos. He’s not gonna be at the club next year and playing him in the firsts is only gonna hurt his value.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-06-2021, 07:52 PM
I’m a fan and have a huge appetite for the hype around JUH. But I just can’t understand why a number one draft pick would not be throwing the kitchen sink at getting a game in the big league. It has Buddy Franklin all over it in his early years.

My point is looking at the Cats game yesterday I was quite annoyed that here is a little bloke like Weightman playing 5 straight games. He isn’t a high draft pick and having the time of his life. He doesn’t have the natural gifts of JUH but had applied himself snd going as instructed and reaping the rewards for the hard yards and effort put into the training track.

West is JUH head at. Someone needs to sit this boy down and shine a light on this opportunity. Get the same person that got Libba back on the straight and narrow a few years ago.

jeemak
19-06-2021, 08:21 PM
I'm a bit like you BB in that the thing that concerns me is we hear about how if he was at a club with bad forwards he'd be getting games and he'd be happy playing seniors, and not that he's doing absolutely everything he can to break into a strong forward line up.

Last week was the first time I think I've heard Bevo say that he's training really hard, and he's been at the club since late last year. I want to hear about him doing boxing sessions, extra running and getting as strong as he can be.

Hotdog60
19-06-2021, 10:52 PM

That could be debatable at this stage because Hannan is seasoned and JUH would be even more of a none event than Hannan.
He has no work rate from what I have seen on TV and is easily removed from the contest.
As I said I would be happy to give him a taste but the time has to be right and on Hannan I think he should be replaced by Mitch and give Schache a game as he put in a good one in the VFL and Astro maybe given a rest to get over any soreness.

Ozza
19-06-2021, 10:57 PM
Playing Jamarra right now or even in the next few weeks would be a really poor move.

He played yesterday's game like he hasn't played in 6 weeks, and guess what, he hasn't.

The last thing he needs is to get picked too early, and have overly emotional supporters start going off their tree about how he can't run or get a kick, or basically be able to meet the demands of the game at AFL level right now. Its just the reality of the situation, that he didn't play footy last year, he's had a very interrupted first year - and the absolute last thing he needs is his girlfriends father talking sh1t on radio about how he should be going on road trips with the senior team.

He just needs to play footy, in the VFL, and get himself ready for when he is required.

mjp
20-06-2021, 03:58 PM

Well...he might not be THIS WEEK.

But if you gave him EVERY GAME for the rest of the year ahead of Hannan, then by year's end who would be the player causing the opposition more headaches.

The arguments about not playing him because he's not ready? Well...of COURSE he isn't ready. He's played 5x games in 2 years.

But not playing him is not getting him ready. I'm firmly in the 'Our time is NOW' camp and having dangerous forwards who could potentially impact the game in our side could really help. We have our share of foot soldiers right now...we need to give the other sides something to think about.

The Adelaide Connection
20-06-2021, 04:39 PM

But if you gave him EVERY GAME for the rest of the year ahead of Hannan, then by year's end who would be the player causing the opposition more headaches.

The arguments about not playing him because he's not ready? Well...of COURSE he isn't ready. He's played 5x games in 2 years.

But not playing him is not getting him ready. I'm firmly in the 'Our time is NOW' camp and having dangerous forwards who could potentially impact the game in our side could really help. We have our share of foot soldiers right now...we need to give the other sides something to think about.

Couple this with the possibility that he could be one of those players that seem thrive on the big stage- it could be the thing that gets him going.

Thilthorpe was worse than average in the lead up to his first game, but they identified Hawthorn's lack of Key defenders as the perfect time to give him a jolt of confidence. It's about the only clever thing the Crows have done in about four years.

comrade
20-06-2021, 04:43 PM
Couple this with the possibility that he could be one of those players that seem thrive on the big stage- it could be the thing that gets him going.

Thilthorpe was worse than average in the lead up to his first game, but they identified Hawthorn's lack of Key defenders as the perfect time to give him a jolt of confidence. It's about the only clever thing the Crows have done in about four years.

Thilthorpe played all last year against men and was much more hardened than Marra is right now. Marra would be chewed up and spit out at AFL level.

bornadog
20-06-2021, 04:43 PM

Bring Marra in for the North match

The Adelaide Connection
20-06-2021, 04:55 PM
Thilthorpe played all last year against men and was much more hardened than Marra is right now. Marra would be chewed up and spit out at AFL level.

That is true about Thilthorpe, but would JUH fare much worse against the third or fourth (usually undersized) AFL defender than he would against the first best VFL defender?

As Bonrnadog suggested, maybe the North game (or the Hawks game) could be the strategic time to pull the trigger. if he does struggle it might be the catalyst to working harder (if that is as reported an issue) or settle down his disgruntled side (if this is as has been reported). If nothing else, young players who get a taste often go away and have more of an understanding of where they need to get to etc.

Happy Days
20-06-2021, 04:58 PM

Yeah I’m with you. If someone is gonna play full forward and do nothing then I’d rather it be Marra.

comrade
20-06-2021, 05:14 PM
That is true about Thilthorpe, but would JUH fare much worse against the third or fourth (usually undersized) AFL defender than he would against the first best VFL defender?

He can't get to enough contests.

Even third or fourth defenders at AFL level are miles ahead of journeyman full backs at VFL in terms of ability and conditioning.

Bullies
20-06-2021, 05:44 PM
Yeah I’m with you. If someone is gonna play full forward and do nothing then I’d rather it be Marra.
Just saying sometimes it is easier to get a kick at the elite level than it is at the lower level. I know his form doesn't warrant a game but if he gets the taste it might be what he needs to unleash his talent.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2021, 05:53 PM
Toby McLean was let back in because he was 'terrorizing' team mates at training.
It's not just what Jamarra does on VFL day. They will watch what he does at the training track.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2021, 06:17 PM

I'm starting to come around to the idea of just playing him, mainly because we essentially get nothing out of far less skilled players as it is (Hannan is number one).

I think he probably needs to play VFL this week but I'd look to bring him in v Norf and then try and play him for the rest of the year, unless he's totally out of his depth.

You get the sense he could be the difference in a final; that's not to say he dominates, he won't, but I mean that he's far more likely to take a screamer and kick a freak goal than Hannan, Wallis etc and be the one to get us over the line, such is his pure ability.

With a 'full side' or close to it you could probably argue we can carry him.

EasternWest
20-06-2021, 07:37 PM
Toby McLean was let back in because he was 'terrorizing' team mates at training.
It's not just what Jamarra does on VFL day. They will watch what he does at the training track.

In fairness tmac has 6 years in the elite/professional system behind him.

bornadog
20-06-2021, 09:57 PM
In fairness tmac has 6 years in the elite/professional system behind him.

Details, Details

EasternWest
20-06-2021, 10:55 PM
Details, Details

Ha. Don't get me wrong I want to see Marra too, but do it when the time is right and warranted.

I agree with the point Ghost Dog is making though. MacLean showed he really wanted in. UH needs to do that too, but he's has to be fit enough and ready enough also.

Vred
20-06-2021, 11:28 PM
I'm just not sold on JUH.
Before Covid hit he wasn't even top 10 talks, then suddenly covid hit, no one is playing any football and the media start blowing smoke up his ass and propel him to number 1 in a matter of months (same thing I'm seeing happening with Sam Darcy, from not even top 40 to all of a sudden being touted as potential top 5).

JUH's VFL games have been average, at best, really bad work rate in some games, doesn't really impact contests as much as he should be, the only thing going for him is his a great shot at goal. Couple this with the off-field stuff, the constant partying, clubbing, reports of drug taking at festivals, and *!*!*!*!ing Fev as some type of mentor, and I just don't see it. I get the feeling his gonna be one of the worst number 1 picks in a long time.

I hope he proves me wrong but I'm just not sold.

soupman
21-06-2021, 12:36 AM
I do not rate what Hannan has produced thus far but am confident he is doing a lot right. He is involved in the contest a lot, covers ground really well and if his execution was maybe 10-20% better then we would be really happy with his performances.

I think offensively JUH probably offers as much as him right now but in terms of ability to do all the other stuff he is probably miles behind.

The other part is that there is no way we are trying to not play him. Our selection policy Bevo's entire reign has been if there is a first year player who is doing the right stuff off field and is performing ok at VFL level then he will get a taste. We would be desperate to play him, but we just need him to tick the boxes so that he nominally earns the opportunity. He must have been really close earlier this year, but was held out by all three players in the ones playing great and then Schache dominating VFL. Then he got injured right when we might have picked him and then covid ruined the last few weeks. We have used every player on our list this year except for JUH, Richards, Hayes and Bedendo.

He will play, lets just relax and enjoy it when it comes.

boydogs
21-06-2021, 02:50 AM
the only thing going for him is his a great shot at goal

Have you seen him go for his marks? Makes Naughton look like a child

Vred
21-06-2021, 05:19 AM
Have you seen him go for his marks? Makes Naughton look like a child

I have, watched every VFL game and as much of his U18 stuff as possible. Problem is he gets bodied way too easily by VFL level defenders, due to his lack of muscle, hopefully that comes in time, but currently I rate Naughton as a much better grab than JUH.

Mofra
21-06-2021, 08:14 AM
I have, watched every VFL game and as much of his U18 stuff as possible. Problem is he gets bodied way too easily by VFL level defenders, due to his lack of muscle, hopefully that comes in time, but currently I rate Naughton as a much better grab than JUH.
It's hard to compare considering Naughton was playing behind the ball at the same age.
Naughton's attack on the ball in flight is the best I've ever seen. Marra might have the most natural leap of any kid over 190cm I've seen.

Ozza
21-06-2021, 08:38 AM

We are the highest scoring team in the league. I think we are functioning pretty well in this area of the game.

Mantis
21-06-2021, 09:13 AM
We are the highest scoring team in the league. I think we are functioning pretty well in this area of the game.

We are, but scores of 55, 59 & 78 against probably the best 3 teams in the comp (of the Melb teams) shows that there is room for improvement.

comrade
21-06-2021, 09:18 AM
We are, but scores of 55, 59 & 78 against probably the best 3 teams in the comp (of the Melb teams) shows that there is room for improvement.

I don't think there is any coincidence that we went in with a reduced ruck combo for those games (Martin v Richmond, Sweet/English v Melbourne & English v Geelong).

Mantis
21-06-2021, 09:22 AM
I don't think there is any coincidence that we went in with a reduced ruck combo for those games.

55 - Richmond - Martin played, but was hobbling. English out with concussion. Nank played one out with support from Pickett.
59 - Melbourne - Sweet & English played - Sweet was poor with only 3 touches and English was rusty after missing a month of footy.
78 - Geelong - we know the story there.

comrade
21-06-2021, 09:25 AM
55 - Richmond - Martin played, but was hobbling. English out with concussion. Nank played one out with support from Pickett.
59 - Melbourne - Sweet & English played - Sweet was poor with only 3 touches and English was rusty after missing a month of footy.
78 - Geelong - we know the story there.

Yep.

If English plays in the Richmond game, we definitely get closer.

And if we'd have played Sweet or Martin in the Geelong game, I honestly believe we win through improved structure ahead of the ball.

The Melbourne game, we probably don't win even if Stef played and was at 100% we were that much off our tucker. But it would have been closer.

Most of our scoring problems against good sides stem from issues in the ruck and it is a hill I will die on!

azabob
21-06-2021, 09:35 AM
Yep.

Most of our scoring problems against good sides stem from issues in the ruck and it is a hill I will die on!

Damn, I really thought it was the Naughton to the backline was your chosen hill.

comrade
21-06-2021, 09:37 AM
Damn, I really thought it was the Naughton to the backline was your chosen hill.

I have many hills.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2021, 09:38 AM
Interesting how important Bruce has been and answered questions about his ability to score against good opponents. In these three games:

Bruce 7.4
Naughton 4.1
English 2.0 (in two games)

comrade
21-06-2021, 09:47 AM
Interesting how important Bruce has been and answered questions about his ability to score against good opponents. In these three games:

Bruce 7.4
Naughton 4.1

He also had a strong performance against Port on the road, and in the that game as in the Geelong game was forced to chop out in the ruck. He's been excellent this year.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2021, 09:50 AM
He also had a strong performance against Port on the road, and in the that game as in the Geelong game was forced to chop out in the ruck. He's been excellent this year.

Yep. I’ve been really happy that he can put weak opponents to the sword and hit the scoreboard against good defenders and teams.

comrade
21-06-2021, 09:54 AM
Yep. I’ve been really happy that he can put weak opponents to the sword and hit the scoreboard against good defenders and teams.

He had a down game against Richmond, but credit to him, he's been rock solid since and a big part of why we're sitting 2nd.

Ghost Dog
21-06-2021, 10:09 AM
Astounded at Bruce's turn around. He's far more skilled than I gave him credit for. And he's really exuberant, getting around his teammates and supportive.

Happy Days
21-06-2021, 10:32 AM
That goal that he was trying to pass to the open seats behind the goal I guess was some Buddy shit. Bruce rules.

EasternWest
21-06-2021, 10:48 AM
That goal that he was trying to pass to the open seats behind the goal I guess was some Buddy shit. Bruce rules.

Nah it was just an accident he definitely wasn't going for goal.

The commentators said that so it must be true.

jeemak
21-06-2021, 10:48 AM

Could you imagine the hullaballoo if it was Buddy who kicked it?

bornadog
21-06-2021, 10:58 AM
Could you imagine the hullaballoo if it was Buddy who kicked it?

Exactly. That was one of the best goals I have seen from a guy 197cm, running flat out along the boundary, 50m wrong side of goal for a left footer and split the goals.

mjp
21-06-2021, 11:13 AM

Bruce 7.4
Naughton 4.1

Please don't count the 3 junk time goals vs Melbourne.

jeemak
21-06-2021, 11:16 AM
Exactly. That was one of the best goals I have seen from a guy 197cm, running flat out along the boundary, 50m wrong side of goal for a left footer and split the goals.

Given the way he kicks it he was probably on the right side for him, a bit like Buddy in that he isn't a hooker of the footy......but that's splitting hairs and you're right, it was a cracking goal.

jeemak
21-06-2021, 11:18 AM

Didn't he kick one in the second against the Dees?

Were you happy with his game Friday?

GVGjr
21-06-2021, 11:56 AM

Kicked a junk time goal the following week against Fremantle but he was very good against the Cats
He's kicked goals in every game this year which is a great achievement.

mjp
21-06-2021, 12:36 PM
Didn't he kick one in the second against the Dees?

Were you happy with his game Friday?

I've only watched the first quarter so it's hard to comment.

Friday I had work till 7pm then juniors (14yo) after that on Friday...and the thought of staying up until midnight to watch us lose to an after the siren goal kicked by Rohan was not inspiring. I had work and footy to coach Sat then work and footy to watch Sunday.

I watched the 1st q last night and he didn't do much but hope to watch the rest of the game tonight.

A Geelong mate has been whinging to me non-stop about the umpiring (specifically lack of HTB calls and Libber throwing it) but I didn't see much of it in what I watched (maybe a throw on the camera side wing late in the last). Surprised more hasn't been made of the clear holding free not paid to Weightman tho in q1 - how did the umpire not pay that?? Off topic so apologies.

Happy Days
21-06-2021, 12:43 PM
Surprised more hasn't been made of the clear holding free not paid to Weightman tho in q1 - how did the umpire not pay that?? Off topic so apologies.

Cody is a living :cool: emoji and I love him heaps but he's kinda made his own bed here by going down just a little too easily/obviously/frequently/

1eyedog
21-06-2021, 01:34 PM
Before Covid hit he wasn't even top 10 talks, then suddenly covid hit, no one is playing any football and the media start blowing smoke up his ass and propel him to number 1 in a matter of months (same thing I'm seeing happening with Sam Darcy, from not even top 40 to all of a sudden being touted as potential top 5).

JUH's VFL games have been average, at best, really bad work rate in some games, doesn't really impact contests as much as he should be, the only thing going for him is his a great shot at goal. Couple this with the off-field stuff, the constant partying, clubbing, reports of drug taking at festivals, and *!*!*!*!ing Fev as some type of mentor, and I just don't see it. I get the feeling his gonna be one of the worst number 1 picks in a long time.

That's absolute nonsense he was viewed as a top 5 prospect all through 2019 in AFL Draft Watch, in AFL Draft Central (assumed he'd go @ 1 dated September 2019), even the HUN were calling him the next Buddy Franklin in 2019.

Where are you hearing he's on the bickies at parties? He comes and was raised in Framlingham, an old Aboriginal Mission north-east of Warrnambool with ZERO drug tolerance i.e. no drugs anywhere ever allowed in the Mish. He does not have a history of being a party animal, or of ever taking drugs. Perhaps he's changed over the past two years but I have followed him closely for my own reasons and nowhere have I seen anything that connects him to a party lifestyle, or drug taking, no word of mouth, no-one who knows him (and I have spoken to quite a few people from Framlingham), and no word of this from any social media around him?

Where are you getting your info from please?

You should have a look at this to help you break down the stereotypical view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_KmdbHF5AI

Jamarra is a solid citizen.

Twodogs
21-06-2021, 07:01 PM

Have you got any links to these reports? I've seen nothing anywhere even indicating it

BTW a link to an article from February last year

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2020-luke-beveridge-press-conference-video-jamarra-uglehagan-western-bulldogs-calls-recruiters-shortsighted/news-story/4103737bc228541469746807b9011871

And one nominating him as a likely top draft pick from 2019

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eyes-on-2020-a-must-for-recruiters-as-compromised-afl-draft-awaits-20191127-p53eow.html

Ghost Dog
22-06-2021, 12:49 AM
Cody is a living :cool: emoji and I love him heaps but he's kinda made his own bed here by going down just a little too easily/obviously/frequently/

Yeah he smiles a bit to much. Like a kid trying to steal the candy.

Ghost Dog
22-06-2021, 12:51 AM
He'll come good. Have some faith.

1eyedog
22-06-2021, 09:57 AM
Yeah he smiles a bit to much. Like a kid trying to steal the candy.

Yeah he's gonna annoy the hell out of opposition supporters.

Ozza
22-06-2021, 01:45 PM

I forgot we don't count 'junk time' goals.

bornadog
22-06-2021, 02:33 PM

Deduct one that was kicked in the second quarter.

2021 AFL League Total Goals Leaders (Minimum 3 Games Played)

Rank
Player
Team
Games
Goals for Last Game
Total

Harry McKay (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--harry-mckay)
Blues (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-carlton-blues)
3 v GWS, Round 14 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10440)

Josh Bruce (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--josh-bruce)
Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
3 v Geelong, Round 14 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10438)

Taylor Walker (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-adelaide-crows--taylor-walker)
Crows (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-adelaide-crows)
1 v St Kilda, Round 13 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10434)

Ben King (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--ben-king)
Suns (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-gold-coast-suns)
2 v Port Adelaide, Round 14 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10439)

Jack Riewoldt (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--jack-riewoldt)
Tigers (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-richmond-tigers)
2 v West Coast, Round 13 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10443)

Tom Hawkins (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-geelong-cats--tom-hawkins)
Cats (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-geelong-cats)
1 v Western Bulldogs, Round 14 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10438)

Jack Darling (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-west-coast-eagles--jack-darling)
Eagles (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-west-coast-eagles)
0 v Richmond, Round 13 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10443)

Cale Hooker (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-essendon-bombers--cale-hooker)
Bombers (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-essendon-bombers)
0 v Hawthorn, Round 14 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10441)

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-essendon-bombers--anthony-mcdonald-tipungwuti)
Bombers (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-essendon-bombers)
2 v Hawthorn, Round 14 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10441)

Aaron Naughton (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--aaron-naughton)
Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)
0 v Geelong, Round 14 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10438)

Most Goals kicked by a Bulldog for some time

Happy Days
22-06-2021, 02:38 PM

We don’t count junk time goals or goals against North or goals where someone else passes the ball to the goalkicker or goals where the commentary thinks that the goalkicker wasn’t trying to kick.

So Bruce has actually kicked zero goals this year. What a bust.

Ozza
22-06-2021, 05:40 PM
We don’t count junk time goals or goals against North or goals where someone else passes the ball to the goalkicker or goals where the commentary thinks that the goalkicker wasn’t trying to kick.

So Bruce has actually kicked zero goals this year. What a bust.

Love it.

It’s like when talking cricket….”yeah but if you take away that double century he hit, then he’s only averaging 30 on this tour”

Yeah….but you don’t take away the double century….because it happened.

Happy Days
22-06-2021, 07:24 PM
Love it.

It’s like when talking cricket….”yeah but if you take away that double century he hit, then he’s only averaging 30 on this tour”

Yeah….but you don’t take away the double century….because it happened.

No you've got it all wrong, you do take away the double century. And the ducks count for double. Or something.

comrade
22-06-2021, 07:27 PM
Brucey has had 1 genuine 2020 level stinker and that was the Richmond game. He wasn't great against Melbourne but Wayne Carey and Chris Grant would have struggled with the way we were piss farting around with the ball that night, and he at least converted the few opportunities he has had.

He's been excellent overall, and I'm no Bruce truther.

bornadog
22-06-2021, 08:14 PM
So exciting to have Bruce with 37 goals, Naughton with 29 and a spearhead in waiting in Marra.

I can't remember a Bulldog list like this ever.

Twodogs
22-06-2021, 08:32 PM
So exciting to have Bruce with 37 goals, Naughton with 29 and a spearhead in waiting in Marra.

I can't remember a Bulldog list like this ever.

Templeton and Quinlan in the '70s. Sandilands could kick a bag of goals too but had to play in defence because there was no room in attack for him. They all ended up with other clubs in he end. Fred Cook dominated in the VFA but still should have been with us too.

We pissed away a golden generation of players with incompetence. Not this time though.

azabob
22-06-2021, 08:36 PM
Templeton and Quinlan in the '70s.

How come you have never mentioned this Templeton fellow before?

Twodogs
22-06-2021, 08:40 PM
How come you have never mentioned this Templeton fellow before?

It's never occurred to me really.

I was a bit of a fanboi as a kid though.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-06-2021, 08:59 PM
Templeton and Quinlan in the '70s. Sandilands could kick a bag of goals too but had to play in defence because there was no room in attack for him. They all ended up with other clubs in he end. Fred Cook dominated in the VFA but still should have been with us too.

We pissed away a golden generation of players with incompetence. Not this time though.
Shane Loveless could have been someone.

Twodogs
22-06-2021, 09:03 PM
Shane Loveless could have been someone.

Pinhead could have been anything.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-06-2021, 09:05 PM
Pinhead could have been anything.

How excited were you when he kicked those bags?
I was thrilled.

1eyedog
22-06-2021, 11:27 PM
I was thrilled.

Almost Jason Tutt on debut excited!

mjp
23-06-2021, 11:30 AM
No you've got it all wrong, you do take away the double century. And the ducks count for double. Or something.

The point was he had played well against the contenders - 3 vs Melbourne being evidence of that. He was ordinary vs Melbourne but kicked 2 at the end. Do they count in the race for an individual award? Sure. Did they help us on the night? No. He kicked on in the elimination final last year as well...when he took the advantage from a free kick given to a team mate. He didn’t earn the kick and NEVER should have played on but he did ans it - aa you say - counts.

Am I cynical about Bruce? Of course I am. And I will remain so. The performance last Friday was excellent though...let’s see that again this week.

Counting goals is great. But if you think that 10 vs North would have been worth 3 all kicked in the last quarter last Friday night...well...they just wouldn’t be.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2021, 08:18 AM
I think North is the best bet. He might not have huge form behind him but he has natural abilities that make him close to Hannan. Nothing against him. Give him a taste now and let’s see how he goes. He either learns about the need for more fitness or work rate, or he surprises and excels and then gives us another forward option heading into finals. The then media stop the weekly questions about when he debuts. That distraction and noise gets neutralised. The match up should be favourable for him vs North and it gives all members and fans a really exciting week. While creating buzz and atmosphere around the club too which could be a helpful side effect. Then offer him a two year extension, if we haven’t already.

So do it now Bevo.

The Doctor
28-06-2021, 11:29 AM
Would it be right to give Jamarra a run now after missing a chunk of the season and not yet in good form in the VFL when Schache has been in excellent form in the VFL? I'd like to see him earn it first.

Grantysghost
28-06-2021, 11:37 AM
Would it be right to give Jamarra a run now after missing a chunk of the season and not yet in good form in the VFL when Schache has been in excellent form in the VFL? I'd like to see him earn it first.

Very good question. I thought Marra was pretty good on the weekend. He worked hard throughout and got some reward late (he's a nice set shot kick thank god).

But Schache would be in front of him on form.

Sometimes with a high draft pick the benefit of by passing the traditional meritocracy might be great enough to make it a worthwhile endeavour.
Schache maybe benefited from similar at the Lions as a #2?

If we are going to play Jamarra I think the next block of 4 games is the time to do it.

Twodogs
28-06-2021, 11:41 AM
I was thrilled.

Very excited. Especially given we'd lost the first eleven (I think) games of the 1980 season and his first bag coincided with our first win.

1eyedog
28-06-2021, 11:43 AM
I think he should have a crack now. I know Schache deserves it more but we have allowed players to break the ice in the past. West and Weightman getting early cracks that probably weren't totally deserved come to mind. I think there is some benefit for us there. You never know he might surprise.

If he replaces Hannan what are we losing?

Axe Man
28-06-2021, 11:56 AM
If he replaces Hannan what are we losing?

Our newly anointed scapegoat? ;)

EasternWest
28-06-2021, 11:59 AM

So play Marra and bring back Suckling for one game.

Grantysghost
28-06-2021, 12:00 PM

I thought Hannan was ok yesterday, really threw his body in and committed to the contest.
He's still fringe but was ok with his efforts.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-06-2021, 12:05 PM
Hope they pick Marra this week.

What's the worst that happens? He doesn't play well, gets dropped and realises he needs to improve.

Best case? He plays well and stays in the team.

Hannan to make way.

Mofra
28-06-2021, 12:49 PM
If Stef Martin is still weeks away, I would be tempted to bring JUH into the side this week. He either has an impact and keeps his spot, or gets exposure to just where his running capacity needs to get to. Khamis got a taste and he spend most the last quarter on the bench because he couldn't run out the game to AFL standards.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-06-2021, 09:13 AM
JUH has not really been lighting it up. Schache has.
In terms of managing our no.1 pick it he has to get a game this season to get a taste. NM have a history of thug full backs not up to date with latest but yes would love to see him play now.

Topdog
30-06-2021, 09:37 AM
I'm still on the fence about it.

Feel like the suns game would be the best to introduce him as their backline are pretty much all inner 23.

DOG GOD
30-06-2021, 09:46 AM
If he’s going to play at all this year, it’s gotta be this week against NM. Home crowd at Marvel, bottom of the ladder team, and with Tarrant and McKay tackling Bruce and Naughton, it might just be his time. Follow that up with Sydney at marvel against his idol buddy Franklin, and I think that will at least give him a taste of the expectation.

Happy Days
30-06-2021, 09:46 AM
Yeah I’ve settled on wanting to play him this week. External aside we have to consider that there are developmental aims beyond immediate performance with Jamarra that shouldn’t necessitate him crushing the seconds to get a look in.

Topdog
30-06-2021, 11:31 AM
If he’s going to play at all this year, it’s gotta be this week against NM. Home crowd at Marvel, bottom of the ladder team, and with Tarrant and McKay tackling Bruce and Naughton, it might just be his time. Follow that up with Sydney at marvel against his idol buddy Franklin, and I think that will at least give him a taste of the expectation.

You have convinced me. Bring him in.

SonofScray
30-06-2021, 12:02 PM
He'll come in, rise to the level and create the 4 headed beast, which will win many flags.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-06-2021, 01:31 PM
Anyone hear Cornes' trade suggestion the other day? Was saying Marra for Grainger-Barras. I get we're desperate for a KPD, but GB is 195cm and no way am I doing a straight swap. Who is going to trade pick 1 for pick 6 straight up?

comrade
30-06-2021, 01:36 PM
Anyone hear Cornes' trade suggestion the other day? Was saying Marra for Grainger-Barras. I get we're desperate for a KPD, but GB is 195cm and no way am I doing a straight swap. Who is going to trade pick 1 for pick 6 straight up?

He's just a click bait merchant. We're not trading Marra for anything BUT if we were forced to consider it, you'd only do it for the likes of Darcy Moore/Jacob Weitering etc not a 1 game defender that is 2 or 3 years away from dominating.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2021, 01:36 PM

Must have run out of bullshit to spew. That’s as dumb as anything Twitter could offer.

Axe Man
30-06-2021, 01:51 PM
He's just a click bait merchant. We're not trading Marra for anything BUT if we were forced to consider it, you'd only do it for the likes of Darcy Moore/Jacob Weitering etc not a 1 game defender that is 2 or 3 years away from dominating.

Yeah no point getting upset about anything Cornes has to say, it's all blatantly designed to grab headlines, not have substance.

The closest comparison to this highly unlikely scenario is Tom Boyd who was worth an elite midfielder at the time and a top 10 pick.

GVGjr
30-06-2021, 01:58 PM
I really hope he plays some senior games but time is running out. I'm more than comfortable to back Bevo and the MC on when/if Marra debuts. If it's next season I'll still be excited

DOG GOD
30-06-2021, 02:32 PM
Marra might not have thought he’d play round 1, but sure as hell he would’ve expected to play this year. If he doesn’t, what’s his “deep down” mindset going to be ? Especially if a B.F is continually in his ear with negatives.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 02:51 PM
Having watched the last two VFL games, I think he needs to come in at Marvel. The windy conditions don’t help but the delivery he’s been getting in the twos is substandard. Not to mention oppo teams are trying to double team a first year player. I don’t think he’s going to rip things a part like this.

Put him under the roof, on the third tall defender and certainly not double teamed and have delivery from the best midfield. I’m comfortable he’s kicking a couple a week.

I feel a bit from him like Nathan Lyon when multiple times a test the wicket keeper would drop easy catches and miss easy stumping. When he was given the personnel around him to shine, he started shining brighter.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 05:58 PM
Having watched the last two VFL games, I think he needs to come in at Marvel. The windy conditions don’t help but the delivery he’s been getting in the twos is substandard. Not to mention oppo teams are trying to double team a first year player. I don’t think he’s going to rip things a part like this.

Put him under the roof, on the third tall defender and certainly not double teamed and have delivery from the best midfield. I’m comfortable he’s kicking a couple a week.

I feel a bit from him like Nathan Lyon when multiple times a test the wicket keeper would drop easy catches and miss easy stumping. When he was given the personnel around him to shine, he started shining brighter.

I guess that’s next week vs Sydney.

meenies
04-07-2021, 09:10 PM
Agreed. Had two players all day today, no one protecting him, poor delivery to him. He kept on presenting.
Bevo give me a look in this week.

hujsh
05-07-2021, 09:40 AM
He does seem closest in style to Naughts of the 3 talls so if he needs to miss a week with concussion then he's the most 'like-for-like' replacement IMO.

Mofra
05-07-2021, 09:46 AM
From a development point of view, I hope he is exposed at the highest level just so he understands where he needs to be physically to be a week in, week out player.
I have low expectations of his output until another pre-season or two are under his belt.

Dancin' Douggy
05-07-2021, 12:33 PM
I thought the same thing. His stat sheet would look woeful but he kept on leading to poor delivery in a howling wind and was double and even triple teamed all day. Now with Naughton out, a perfect chance to blood him.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 12:57 PM

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will make his AFL debut this week.

The number one pick in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft will line up for the Western Bulldogs in Sunday afternoon’s clash against the Sydney Swans at Marvel Stadium.

Ugle-Hagan has had to bide his time at VFL level this season. The 19-year-old has kicked 13 goals in seven games for Footscray – including a five-goal haul in round two against the GWS Giants – in a state-league season interrupted by a COVID-19 shutdown.

But with Aaron Naughton ruled out this week due to injury, the door has opened for Luke Beveridge to blood the highly talented key forward.

Ugle-Hagan was the Bulldogs’ first number one draft pick since Adam Cooney (2003) and is only the second Indigenous player to be selected at number one, following Des Headland (1998).

As he made his way through the junior ranks, the 197-centimetre forward idolised Sydney superstar Lance Franklin, who he’ll share the field with on Sunday.

Ugle-Hagan has come through the Bulldogs’ Next Generation Academy. He hails from Framlingham – an Indigenous community near Warrnambool in south-west Victoria.

He is a product of the South Warrnambool FC, Scotch College and the Oakleigh Chargers.

He becomes the Bulldogs’ sixth debutant in 2021, joining Anthony Scott, Lachie McNeil, Jordon Sweet, Buku Khamis and Riley Garcia.

SquirrelGrip
08-07-2021, 01:10 PM
“The positive role model that you could be can be really special for Framlingham and all Indigenous kids, so it’s time to take that Marn Grook to Marvel mate.”

Now, I'm excited!

ReLoad
08-07-2021, 01:20 PM
Excited that he is going to show the world what he’s got to offer.

But based on pure form, Schache is damn unlucky.

bornadog
08-07-2021, 01:21 PM
Good Luck to Jamarra.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2021, 01:22 PM
Good luck Marra, it's gonna be an exciting build up!

comrade
08-07-2021, 01:25 PM
Definitely some rock star vibes to Jamarra, even if his performances haven't reached any great heights as yet. Pretty hyped to see him strut his stuff at the highest level, hopefully not having to deal with a double team and getting scrubbers kicked 5m in front of him in howling WO winds means he'll get on the end of a few.

Axe Man
08-07-2021, 01:26 PM
A nice bit of synergy with Naidoc week. Hopefully he gives the match committee some headaches for the Suns game.

comrade
08-07-2021, 01:34 PM
https://i.ibb.co/xLDFBxj/E5vna-U5-Vg-AEBGUg.jpg (https://ibb.co/7CXkZsW)

Mantis
08-07-2021, 01:47 PM
A bit more excited now... looking forward to seeing him in action.

Mofra
08-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Good round to debut Marra in - Swans rely on undersized defenders (Rampe 189cm, McCartin 193cm)

BornInDroopSt'54
08-07-2021, 01:58 PM
Hope Jamarra can hold his place.
One of our biggest ever debuts.

Bulldog Revolution
08-07-2021, 02:27 PM
Very exciting that the young man will debut. Be great to see him running around at Docklands and hopefully getting a few nice ones put out in front of him.

divvydan
08-07-2021, 02:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRWqHEeCZIw

comrade
08-07-2021, 02:47 PM

Who's cutting onions?

The bulldog tragician
08-07-2021, 03:04 PM
Far out!

I sometimes find these a bit awkward/contrived but this felt special.

I hate to quote myself but these were the sentiments I had when we drafted him, and now I feel very emotional knowing he will debut:

...."My fears battle with my hopes: praying Marra will never know the crushing despair of injury, hoping I don't have to witness, as I have so many times, that slow leaching away of the sheer love of the game. I want him to keep flying for those exhilarating speckies (even though I already foresee the day that grouchy commentators or stern coaches chide him for unrealistic attempts). I hope he never reads spiteful social media posts, or comes to feel it's an effort to turn up at the footy club; that he doesn't get frustrated when his exuberant game gets dissected forensically in those lengthy video reviews; that our club will nurture and harness, but never subdue, his immense natural talents. That his huge smile never dims.

Marra - may you never encounter the ugliness of racism. May you make your family, community and our club proud. There's a whole army of us now walking beside you on your journey. I doubt the word 'workmanlike' will be ever used about you, and something tells me your career is likely to be more than enthralling."

Axe Man
08-07-2021, 03:10 PM
Funny that his Mum calls him Marra. Maybe Jamarra is just for when he is in trouble!

bornadog
08-07-2021, 03:12 PM
So exciting for a 19 year old to get his first game.

Will be feeling the pressure to do well.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-07-2021, 03:50 PM
The trade talk was all s**t.

Said the man himself.

AshMac
08-07-2021, 03:54 PM
The trade talk was all s**t.

Said the man himself.

You reckon he’s genuinely earned his spot? With Bevos mantra of no spots are guaranteed and all….

Regardless - I can’t wait to see him play and there is a nice story with his childhood idol down the other end

SonofScray
08-07-2021, 04:00 PM
NOW I AM EXCITED.

Go get ‘em young fella.

bornadog
08-07-2021, 04:14 PM
No.1 pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has told his teammates ahead of his AFL debut: "All this talk about trade and stuff, like obviously that's all bullshit because I'm not going anywhere."

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2021, 04:30 PM
Haha love the video and his dig on the BS rumours, finished off with a "thanks Naughty" - brilliant!

EasternWest
08-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Pretty excited to watch another number 1 draft pick torch the swans.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 05:00 PM
No.1 pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has told his teammates ahead of his AFL debut: "All this talk about trade and stuff, like obviously that's all bullshit because I'm not going anywhere."

Did Sam Power appear out of a puff of smoke with a 5 year extension contract and pen?

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 05:08 PM
Haha love the video and his dig on the BS rumours, finished off with a "thanks Naughty" - brilliant!

That’s the line of the year!! Aaron’s response (less mask) was top notch too. Cheers Naughty… pure gold.

bornadog
08-07-2021, 05:43 PM
Did Sam Power appear out of a puff of smoke with a 5 year extension contract and pen?

Actually he did - well sort of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY4byLNqYxU&ab_channel=Michael

GVGjr
08-07-2021, 05:44 PM
Exciting times, hope he has a good debut.

comrade
08-07-2021, 05:58 PM
Exciting times, hope he has a good debut.

If he's trending towards a Samson Ryan type game, I hope our guys try and find him to get him going.

Ghost Dog
08-07-2021, 07:11 PM
Get Excited (https://youtu.be/O4Cx1VRZ4co)
1:34 love the way he holds and kicks the ball.
Has been compared to Buddy, but a very different kicking style.
Very balanced, good distance, super straight.
Looking forward to it.

Channel the spirit of Bulldog great, debutant Jason Tutt!:D

Eastdog
08-07-2021, 07:20 PM
Good luck Jamarra! Really looking forward to your debut.

jeemak
08-07-2021, 07:30 PM
This is great news. Outstanding news.

His rebuffing of trade talks was delivered with the level of directness one can only ever hope to hear as well.

Danny the snakeman
08-07-2021, 11:18 PM
This is great news. Outstanding news.

His rebuffing of trade talks was delivered with the level of directness one can only ever hope to hear as well.

Do you really think he could of said otherwise.

bornadog
08-07-2021, 11:24 PM

Didn't have to saying anything all, but he chose to bring the subject up.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 11:24 PM

Yep. He could’ve said nothing. Along the lines of not dignifying it with a response.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2021, 09:13 AM
Damien Barrett answers the question of the thread:

IF ...
it took 17 rounds ...

THEN ...
so be it. No.1 draft pick from 2020 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan gets his chance. If Bevo's ladder-leading outfit needed an X-factor as it heads to the pointy end of a premiership surge, then here it is.

comrade
09-07-2021, 09:17 AM
Damien Barrett answers the question of the thread:

IF ...
it took 17 rounds ...

THEN ...
so be it. No.1 draft pick from 2020 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan gets his chance. If Bevo's ladder-leading outfit needed an X-factor as it heads to the pointy end of a premiership surge, then here it is.

Surprised he didn't try to ruffle some feathers and throw the old 'selection integrity' into the mix to be honest.

Mofra
09-07-2021, 09:19 AM
You reckon he’s genuinely earned his spot? With Bevos mantra of no spots are guaranteed and all….

Regardless - I can’t wait to see him play and there is a nice story with his childhood idol down the other end
Yes - 6 tackles. It's about leading, workrate, and effort
It was a nice touch when he thanked Naughton in front of the group though, glad he got a laugh

bulldogtragic
09-07-2021, 09:21 AM
Surprised he didn't try to ruffle some feathers and throw the old 'selection integrity' into the mix to be honest.

He’s almost taking over from Stevo as #1 media fan.

Axe Man
09-07-2021, 09:26 AM

He’s almost taking over from Stevo as #1 media fan.

Yep, old Damo has been almost entirely positive towards us this season.

Mofra
09-07-2021, 02:11 PM
Yep, old Damo has been almost entirely positive towards us this season.
We have been top 2 all season. A lot harder to sling mud at a team that is humming along nicely

Sedat
09-07-2021, 02:28 PM
Jon Ralph tried this line last night. These dickheads that talk about selection integrity are the same dickheads pushing hard for JUH to get a game 3 months ago. And they will be the same dickheads who will either shower JUH with lavish praise on Monday after a successful debut or castigate the club for abandoning form and throwing JUH to the wolves at senior level.

Grantysghost
09-07-2021, 06:14 PM
Jamarra jumper presented by his Grandmother.

https://youtu.be/py7NE2pmlXE

AshMac
10-07-2021, 06:49 AM
Yes - 6 tackles. It's about leading, workrate, and effort
It was a nice touch when he thanked Naughton in front of the group though, glad he got a laugh

Fair enough - agree completely on work rate, not a huge fan of goals being the only measurement. For me he has been off on form alone - I don’t think he’s earned his spot in the same vein a player like schache or west needs to each time they play. I’m also a fan of context and consideration based on each player and I’m delighted we get to see him in action, he needs a taste,

bulldogtragic
10-07-2021, 07:49 AM
How excited am I?

I jumped out of bed this morning thinking how exciting my day is, like a kid on Christmas morning getting the best present possibly ever, watching Jamarra today.

But it’s only *!*!*!*!ing Christmas Eve.

comrade
10-07-2021, 09:00 AM
How excited am I?

I jumped out of bed this morning thinking how exciting my day is, like a kid on Christmas morning getting the best present possibly ever, watching Jamarra today.

But it’s only *!*!*!*!ing Christmas Eve.

Late Sunday games are the pits! It's going to be a loooong Jamarra Eve.

Hotdog60
10-07-2021, 09:24 AM
I just hope when we open the present expecting that toy we've been wanting for a while we don't find a pair of socks. :)

Going by the VFL I'm not expecting too much I just hope he has some good patches and can get his first goal in the AFL.

comrade
10-07-2021, 09:27 AM
I just hope when we open the present expecting that toy we've been wanting for a while we don't find a pair of socks. :)

Going by the VFL I'm not expecting too much I just hope he has some good patches and can get his first goal in the AFL.

My expectations are ultra low: sub 10 possession game and maybe 1 goal.

Just hoping he gets a chance to leap at a few, tackles hard when it's his turn and ultimately, gets to stand in the middle of the song as we belt it out after a win.

1eyedog
10-07-2021, 09:28 AM
I don't expect anything this is a taste for him. Any contribution he makes is a bonus this is an icebreaker make no bones about it.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2021, 09:39 AM
I think he will get a couple of shots. If the entries come in high, he could take MOTY. He work rate is the key. Jamarra, Weightman & JJ are all sub 3 Seconds over 20m. If we can use this pace to pressure turnovers and then Jamarra & Weightman with other talls are threats in the air. I think he’s going to do quite well, maybe even contention for a rising star nomination on debut. But moreover this is a learning exercise for a teenager, he will learn he’s good enough already or he’ll learn what he needs to work on/adjust to. But it’s going to be fun and exciting no matter what.

Go_Dogs
11-07-2021, 12:37 PM
Ok. Well I’m bloody excited. Can’t wait to see the young man play today.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2021, 08:41 PM
Still very excited. But he got a wake up call about the next level, which is a good thing for him to have had this year heading into preseason.

But Jamarra got 7 touches in a dysfunctional forward line (Weightman 5, Wallis 8, Scott 8, Hannan 8, Bruce 8, JJ 10) and laid the same number as tackles as JJ. Plus almost all were contested and he had 5 score Involvements (more than Wallis, JJ, Scott, Weightman & Hannan). In context of his fellow forwards, he’s about par with 150+ game players.

It’s no rising star nomination, but it’s a good developmental lesson.

comrade
11-07-2021, 08:45 PM
Still very excited. But he got a wake up call about the next level, which is a good thing for him to have had this year heading into preseason.

But Jamarra got 7 touches in a dysfunctional forward line (Wallis 8, Scott 8, Hannan 8, JJ 10) and load the same number as tackles as JJ. Plus almost all were contested and he had 5 score Involvements (more than Wallis, JJ, Scott & Hannan).

It’s no rising star nomination, but it’s a good developmental lesson.

Had so many 'almost' marks and it wasn't bad technique that let him down (like Tom Boyd) but entirely down to nerves and rushing. I'm still dirty that Bazlenka wasn't a better teammate to him and called him in to take the easy uncontested mark early on. Would have been a real boost for him.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2021, 08:50 PM
Had so many 'almost' marks and it wasn't bad technique that let him down (like Tom Boyd) but entirely down to nerves and rushing. I'm still dirty that Bazlenka wasn't a better teammate to him and called him in to take the easy uncontested mark early on. Would have been a real boost for him.

Not to mention energy in the group. Something we lacked all day. I can only guess the extra speed of the game and rushed decision making that you can only get from ‘doing’ contributed to a lot of it. He certainly understands windy VFL skill levels to the top level, that’s for sure.

Grantysghost
11-07-2021, 09:00 PM

Speaking of young Bailey, why does he exit stoppages, run directly at team mates who are stationary and pummel a hand pass at them like its world of sports? I cracked up he did it a couple of times.

comrade
11-07-2021, 09:02 PM
Speaking of young Bailey, why does he exit stoppages, run directly at team mates who are stationary and pummel a hand pass at them like its world of sports? I cracked up he did it a couple of times.

Because Baz lives on his own planet.

Ozza
12-07-2021, 09:21 AM
Pretty rough getting Rampe as your opponent for the majority of your debut.

Happy Days
12-07-2021, 09:41 AM
I’m probably being way too lenient but I thought he got better as the game wore on. Once he got his first touch that wasn’t a brutal unforced error he seemed to settle down a lot and had a couple of nice moments.

The main concern was what looked like a tendency to misread and run under the ball but he’ll work that out with game time. He’s probably never dropped a chest mark in his life before though and never will again, so hopefully we get to see him next week in the firsts with his nerves out of the way.

comrade
12-07-2021, 09:43 AM
I’m probably being way too lenient but I thought he got better as the game wore on. Once he got his first touch that wasn’t a brutal unforced error he seemed to settle down a lot and had a couple of nice moments.

The main concern was what looked like a tendency to misread and run under the ball but he’ll work that out with game time. He’s probably never dropped a chest mark in his life before though and never will again, so hopefully we get to see him next week in the firsts with his nerves out of the way.

His ball reading has been questionable the last few weeks at VFL level, too.

That lightning handball to JJ was nice though.

Happy Days
12-07-2021, 09:47 AM
His ball reading has been questionable the last few weeks at VFL level, too.

That lightning handball to JJ was nice though.

In my personal experience its as much about a lack of confidence in forcing back into a contest as it is misreading the play. Which if so maybe there’s an argument to be made that he shouldn’t play, but I really think he’ll work around it and develop better in the firsts.

Need to remember that putting games into Jamarra comes at the very low cost of not playing one of Hannan or Wallis.

Mantis
12-07-2021, 09:49 AM
There was enough in that performance to see that he's going to be alright. He got to the right spots and just lacked a little composure and strength to pluck a couple.

I'm not sure he'll be in our best team come the end of the year, but I'd like to see him given a couple more games to become comfortable at the level and to given him a nice taste before he gets an off-season in the gym to get his body a bit more AFL ready.

ReLoad
12-07-2021, 01:57 PM
There was enough in that performance to see that he's going to be alright. He got to the right spots and just lacked a little composure and strength to pluck a couple.

I'm not sure he'll be in our best team come the end of the year, but I'd like to see him given a couple more games to become comfortable at the level and to given him a nice taste before he gets an off-season in the gym to get his body a bit more AFL ready.

Interesting take, i saw the opposite, I saw nothing in that game that got me excited in any way with his performance. He didn't show any athleticism, (given he is so light, he should have run rampe all over the place)

I'm not writing him off, he's a young kid who has missed out on a fair bit of development, but that was about the most ordinary debut as there ever has been.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-07-2021, 02:03 PM
Interesting take, i saw the opposite, I saw nothing in that game that got me excited in any way with his performance. He didn't show any athleticism, (given he is so light, he should have run rampe all over the place)

I'm not writing him off, he's a young kid who has missed out on a fair bit of development, but that was about the most ordinary debut as there ever has been.

I saw signs, albeit very small. Did I see number 1 pick, once in a generation player sort of signs? Absolutely not.

His body looks nowhere near fit enough for AFL. Fitness is one thing but his upper body does not look much more conditioned than your average office worker.

Mofra
12-07-2021, 02:07 PM
His numbers pretty much are on par with a lot of KPFs on debut (Buddy had 9 touches no goals in his first game, Riewoldt 3 disposals and no goals, Carey 7 touches, etc).

He's very undeveloped but you don't draft a 195cm kid for his first year, you draft him for his output when developed.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-07-2021, 02:15 PM
I'm prepared to give him time. You can certainly see the potential with his skills and reflexes. Just needs to get fitter and build confidence. It wasn't the most ideal debut having to come into a forward line sans Naughton that was totally dysfunctional and play on one of the best defenders in the league.

Mantis
12-07-2021, 02:36 PM

When have you ever seen a kid come in and run a seasoned player all over the place? Rampe has had probably 10 pre-seasons, is a high quality AFL player who uses his body as well as any defender in the competition... You're dreaming if a kid who has been in the system for 5min is going to out run a veteran... and given the reports from our posters regarding his performances for Footscray it was pretty clear that his fitness isn't where it needs to be just yet.

As far as worst ever debut.. yeah, nah. Jono Brown didn't touch the ball in his debut, Nick Riewoldt had 3 touches and Luke Darcy looked like he learnt to run the day before he strode across the luscious Waverley turf. Sure he didn't set the world on fire, but he did about as well as his more experienced team-mates, but maybe that says more about them than him.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-07-2021, 02:41 PM

And yet as poor as his debut may have been, there were plenty of others who were worse yesterday.

Grantysghost
12-07-2021, 02:47 PM
The Swans put their best defender on him, so there's a vote of confidence.

It was underwhelming but about what I'd expected. Shame he couldn't snag that goal in the goal square.

Enough to be excited about, some good positioning, nice hand and foot skills. Big future.

GVGjr
12-07-2021, 02:49 PM
When have you ever seen a kid come in and run a seasoned player all over the place? Rampe has had probably 10 pre-seasons, is a high quality AFL player who uses his body as well as any defender in the competition... You're dreaming if a kid who has been in the system for 5min is going to out run a veteran... and given the reports from our posters regarding his performances for Footscray it was pretty clear that his fitness isn't where it needs to be just yet.

As far as worst ever debut.. yeah, nah. Jono Brown didn't touch the ball in his debut, Nick Riewoldt had 3 touches and Luke Darcy looked like he learnt to run the day before he strode across the luscious Waverley turf. Sure he didn't set the world on fire, but he did about as well as his more experienced team-mates, but maybe that says more about them than him.

The experienced players also know how to be efficient with their running patterns which helps minimise the distance they cover.

We were all hoping that JUH would be on the receiving end of a pinpoint kicks so that he could grab a couple of marks snare a couple of goals but his team mates really didn't help him.
The biggest lesson he may have learned is that he know knows how much harder he needs to work.

We just need to be patient.

comrade
12-07-2021, 02:50 PM
Some of the marks were so close to sticking, in 20 games or so he'll be clunking them and it'll be pretty exciting.

Like a lot of things in life, the first time is usually pretty lacklustre. Best to get it out of the way and improve on it the next time :)

MrMahatma
12-07-2021, 03:04 PM
I guess the question is, are we better putting 6 games into JUH or Hannan before finals? I wouldn’t be doing too much “developing” for future years - we need to be trying to win this one - but is it out of the question that he could be kicking a few in a final? I’d back him to before Hannan.

The Adelaide Connection
12-07-2021, 03:34 PM
His numbers pretty much are on par with a lot of KPFs on debut (Buddy had 9 touches no goals in his first game, Riewoldt 3 disposals and no goals, Carey 7 touches, etc).

He's very undeveloped but you don't draft a 195cm kid for his first year, you draft him for his output when developed.

A lot of these are from an era where players were left on the pine longer, but here are a few other blokes that had underwhelming starts:

Andrew McLeod v Melbourne at Football Park, round six, 1995
Stats overview: One kick, three handballs, two tackles

Jonathan Brown v Adelaide at the Gabba, round five, 2000
Stats overview: Zero kicks, zero handballs, one tackle

Kade Simpson v Geelong at Docklands, round 11, 2003
Stats overview: Zero disposals, two tackles, one clanger

Jobe Watson v Geelong at Docklands Stadium (now Marvel Stadium) round 13, 2003
Stats overview: Two handballs, zero kicks, two tackles

Jack Martin v Richmond at Metricon Stadium, round one, 2014
Stats overview: Zero kicks, three handballs, zero marks

Jeremy Cameron v Sydney at ANZ Stadium, round one, 2012
Stats overview: Eight disposals, five marks, no goals

Sam Mitchell v Richmond at the MCG, round five, 2002
Stats overview: Four disposals, four tackles

Allen Jakovich v West Coast at Subiaco, round one, 1991
Stats overview: Five kicks, two marks, six disposals, no goals

Brent Harvey v Richmond at the MCG, round 22, 1996
Stats overview: One handball

Warren Tredrea v Essendon at Football Park, round two, 1997
Stats overview: Two kicks, two handballs, one tackle, no goals

Nick Riewoldt v Adelaide at Docklands Stadium (now Marvel Stadium), round 15, 2001
Stats overview: Three disposals, one mark, no goals

Jude Bolton v Carlton at Princes Park (now IKON Park), round 12, 1999
Stats overview: Six disposals, three tackles

Luke Darcy v St Kilda at Waverley Park, round 21, 1994
Stats overview: Two handballs, one tackle, zero kicks, zero hitouts

https://www.afl.com.au/news/68158/great-debuts-and-false-starts-of-the-afl-era