PDA

View Full Version : Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

Pages : [1] 2 3

mjp
08-12-2020, 11:46 AM
So.

We have picked first in the draft before...but never in the draft era has a 'generational' player been bound to our club. How it ends? Well, no-one knows...but he is an exceptional talent and really does jump at the ball in the forward 50 like few others in the history of the game.

How excited are YOU?

bornadog
08-12-2020, 11:48 AM
Extremely excited to have a player of his caliber. He will make a huge difference to the team.

I hope he can become a very good player and stick with the club for 200 plus games.

comrade
08-12-2020, 11:52 AM
Pretty hyped. If he reaches his potential, we have a pretty fun 10 years to look forward to.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Pretty excited but with a level of caution.

A lot of highly rated young KPF's have struggled to make an impact at AFL level, but it does sound like he has some pretty raw traits that set him apart.

GVGjr
08-12-2020, 12:29 PM
Very excited if his name is called out at number 1, no less excited if it's any later.
All of our supporters need to be patient with expectations though
He's obviously had no season this year and will need some time to adjust

soupman
08-12-2020, 12:30 PM
There is a strong element of "too good to be true" in my expectations. Cannot wait to actually see him in action though.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-12-2020, 12:34 PM
Extremely excited. This kid will not be a bust. He's not your classic tall forward who dominated at U18s because of his size. He isn't THAT big. Supremely talented kid with crazy athleticism to boot. Looks to have great work ethic too so it's a scary proposition. Combining him with Naughton up forward has me excited for our forward line, especially if we can surround them with crumbers.

I don't have great expectations for his first year given he'll be extremely raw following no football due to COVID. That said, I expect him to play a fair amount of games and he'll have me tuning in simply to watch him play. I mean, I'd watch anyway but you get what I mean.

I am ever so slightly worried about our ability to keep him but I'll worry about that in a few years (btw I hope we sign Bailey Smith up soon).

Axe Man
08-12-2020, 12:41 PM
Cautiously optimistic.

Apart from the obvious and somewhat lazy Buddy comparisons, what sort of player do people expect him to become? Would a more athletic Jack Reiwoldt be around the mark?

kruder
08-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Love the fact he brings xfactor to a group that is crying out for it, it will be very interesting to see how Bevo will use him early. My question mark is kicking for goal at this stage, I hope we work on this with him from day one( In theory should have already been on the agenda)

He has spoken really well in the lead up to the draft and seems to have easily slotted in with the group going by social, the club looks like they have handed it well. So much to like.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Cautiously optimistic.

Apart from the obvious and somewhat lazy Buddy comparisons, what sort of player do people expect him to become? Would a more athletic Jack Reiwoldt be around the mark?

Who was Buddy like? Who is Dusty like?

I feel like Jamarra will be like no one else.

mjp
08-12-2020, 01:10 PM
Who is Dusty like?

Leigh Matthews.
And a bit like Sebastian Rioli before he got fat.

Happy Days
08-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Capital V Very excited. If he's bad I'll be astounded.

My real concern is when he hits the end of his first contract.

Dancin' Douggy
08-12-2020, 01:31 PM
So.

We have picked first in the draft before...but never in the draft era has a 'generational' player been bound to our club. How it ends? Well, no-one knows...but he is an exceptional talent and really does jump at the ball in the forward 50 like few others in the history of the game.

How excited are YOU?

I literally can’t sleep

Mofra
08-12-2020, 02:24 PM
Cautiously optimistic.

I don't see the Buddy comparisons at all. I really don't.

If there's any player right now I think he plays like, it's Aaron Naughton. That launch at the ball is sublime, and he has really sticky hands. Super quick when the ball hits the ground - like Naughts, quicker than our smalls.
Nobody would say JUH's kicking is a weapon.... just like Aaron.

I hope we're patient with him as he hasn't played any football in 2020 so I'm expecting him to need VFL time to work out senior football forward structures.

bornadog
08-12-2020, 03:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWnZGulsKps&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=Michael

Happy Days
08-12-2020, 04:03 PM
I don't see the Buddy comparisons at all. I really don't.

If there's any player right now I think he plays like, it's Aaron Naughton. That launch at the ball is sublime, and he has really sticky hands. Super quick when the ball hits the ground - like Naughts, quicker than our smalls.
Nobody would say JUH's kicking is a weapon.... just like Aaron.

I hope we're patient with him as he hasn't played any football in 2020 so I'm expecting him to need VFL time to work out senior football forward structures.

I think he's dead on for Daniher. The Buddy comps are just lazy.

1eyedog
08-12-2020, 04:54 PM
I actually think he's most like a Daryl White if you bred him as a pure forward but J's a better mark and a bit taller.

Ozza
08-12-2020, 05:02 PM
So I've been hearing about Jamarra since he was 14 or 15. And if he reaches the heights that some in the industry (and footy club) believe he will reach....then I'd say our supporter base is nowhere near as excited as it could be.

He could be unlike any player we've ever had at our footy club.

josie
08-12-2020, 05:17 PM
Super excited. Reckon Marra is something special. When Cal Toomey is excited I reckon we should be too.

Kind of player who if he reaches his potential will bring folks to games just to see him weave some magic.

He and Astronaught taking speccies or bringing our small forwards into game-like wow baby!!

The Doctor
08-12-2020, 06:44 PM
Think I'd have to go back as far as Leon Cameron for the anticipation of seeing a 1st round draftee in our colours.

mjp
08-12-2020, 07:39 PM
Super excited. Reckon Marra is something special. When Cal Toomey is excited I reckon we should be too.

When Cal Toomey is excited we should be WORRIED!

(That said, I am confident about JUH).

HOSE B ROMERO
08-12-2020, 07:53 PM
Such a great feeling that someone so highly rated is coming to the kennel and there's nothing other clubs can do to stop it.
The media has built him up so much i'm sure there is some that will have a crack if he isn't an instant hit.
And please God, do not let this once in a generation kid have serious injuries/concussion issues.

'Marra' is the man.

josie
08-12-2020, 07:55 PM
Hi mjp-I find Cal pretty measured compared to others. Suppose it’s hard not to get caught up in hype train.

Eastdog
08-12-2020, 08:31 PM
It is great stuff!

Hopefully it all pays off in the end. We have a huge opportunity to do well next year. Consistency in the season must be a priority And hopefully not many injuries to our big names.

bulldogtragic
08-12-2020, 08:35 PM
I'd sign him right now to his RFA window, instant five year extension to the two he will get on draft night. Plus an ASA on the side. (The huge amount needed to keep him comes savings from Hunter/Wallis/Libba/Macrae/Bonts retiring or winding down.)

The only other player with 0-3 AFEL games I've said that about is Tom Boyd. Fair to say I have been plenty excited about Tom before, during and after the 2016 finals series. But even more bullish on JUH.

As an aside, both had similar very impressive bottom age years and were considered pick 1's from a long way out.

Go_Dogs
08-12-2020, 10:42 PM
If he can reach a level where he is a consistent threat and impacts games regularly he just makes us such a better side.

Extra size is good. He’s been good in the air, but will need the strength too.

Who was the last key forward we drafted in the first round? Tim Walsh?

bulldogtragic
08-12-2020, 10:49 PM
If he can reach a level where he is a consistent threat and impacts games regularly he just makes us such a better side.

Ayce was in theory a forward before turning ruck. Stringer not a KPF. Possibly yeah.

Go_Dogs
08-12-2020, 10:50 PM
Ayce was in theory a forward before turning ruck. Stringer not a KPF. Possibly yeah.

Feels like a lifetime ago.

Let’s see how our track record improves 19 years later.

bulldogtragic
08-12-2020, 10:52 PM
Feels like a lifetime ago.

Let’s see how our track record improves 19 years later.

Yep! We drafted a full back that’s goes ok forward though. Just needs to kick straight.

Twodogs
08-12-2020, 10:56 PM
I'm really excited about what Jamarra can bring to our club on a number of levels but I'm prepared to be patient. I do expect him to be a dominant player in the competition but I think we are going to have to wait until he settles in for a while before seeing his full potential.

Think I'd have to go back as far as Leon Cameron for the anticipation of seeing a 1st round draftee in our colours.

I remember being pretty excited about Cooney after seeing a couple of clips of him playing in the SANFL and doing some pretty amazing things. Watching Andrejs Everitt using his kicking skills I thought we'd picked up a pretty special player. Richard Cousins was pretty big news when we drafted him. Andrew Purser was the first number one draft pick and pretty much walked into the team and dominated other ruckmen from his first game.

The Adelaide Connection
09-12-2020, 12:18 AM
Very excited, but I am trying to keep a lid on it. Tom Boyd is a cautionary tale that lingers. I know that Tom was colossal when it mattered most, but he was supposed to be an unstoppable key forward etc.

Fingers crossed.

boydogs
09-12-2020, 01:35 AM
Reminds me of Schache - tall, skinny, highly skilled, nice guy - hopefully he has the strength and mongrel

Vred
09-12-2020, 07:50 AM
I'm not looking forward to Essendon coming after him in two years, like literally every Essendon fan reckons they will.

The Adelaide Connection
09-12-2020, 08:24 AM
I'm not looking forward to Essendon coming after him in two years, like literally every Essendon fan reckons they will.

They’d be silly not to. We have to hope that they remain a basket case (like I needed another reason to).

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-12-2020, 09:46 AM
I'm super excited by the prospect of securing a very highly rated talent like JUH.
I know its all a highly speculative process, and a highly rated prospect doesn't automatically equate to a successful AFL career, however there is no denying for a the last two or so years we've been as supporters looking forward to securing Jamarra.
Up until earlier this year, I still had concerns the AFL would intercede and change the rules, so I didn't allow myself to get too invested. But as soon as it became clear he was going to remain ours to bid on, I've been all in.

If he goes at 1, there is a great deal of unique marketing leverage for us to make from this, and drive fan optimism and membership up. I hope we take full advantage of that if Adelaide do hand us this by bidding on him with pick 1

Mofra
09-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Reminds me of Schache - tall, skinny, highly skilled, nice guy - hopefully he has the strength and mongrel
Shache never attacked the ball in the air like Marra, and Schache tested slow for acceleration. JUH has a 2.9s 20m, which is insane for a guy his height.

Mofra
09-12-2020, 09:48 AM
They couldn't get Dunkley across the line, I'm less worried now

The Bulldogs Bite
09-12-2020, 10:23 AM
Shache never attacked the ball in the air like Marra, and Schache tested slow for acceleration. JUH has a 2.9s 20m, which is insane for a guy his height.

What did Buddy test for in 20m?

It's the one asset which can really set Marra apart from the likes of Schache, McCartin, Boyd, Patton etc. who all struggled.

hujsh
09-12-2020, 10:38 AM

Jarred Grant was expected to become one when he filled out. I'm sure he will with just a bit more time.

Axe Man
09-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Jarred Grant was expected to become one when he filled out. I'm sure he will with just a bit more time.

Scott Clayton is still holding out hope.

Mofra
09-12-2020, 10:51 AM
What did Buddy test for in 20m?

It's the one asset which can really set Marra apart from the likes of Schache, McCartin, Boyd, Patton etc. who all struggled.
The 'big boned' strong forwards do seem to struggle now - the skinnier athletic types seem to fare much better - the King twins and Naughton are the modern prototypes, the guys who are mobile and can really launch at the ball.

Ozza
09-12-2020, 10:52 AM

Scott Clayton would be ready for that swim across Port Phillip Bay wouldn't he?

SonofScray
09-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Not excited.

We won't develop him properly, history suggests so.

Happy Days
09-12-2020, 12:46 PM

Same.

Rocket Science
09-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Not excited.

"Welcome aboard son, ever played half back flank?"

Mofra
09-12-2020, 02:52 PM
Yeah, worked for Dunkley...

They're going to be cellar dwellers for a while.

Mofra
09-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Not excited.

History suggests we don't win prelims, stay in debt and never find genuine exciting KPFs ourselves.

With the greatest of respect, %^$ history. We're smack bang in our first real era of defying it. The first time JUH kicks to Naughton, or visa versa, our supporters will go nuts.

comrade
09-12-2020, 02:55 PM
JUH just went live on AFL.com.au and he seems completely different to the likes of Schache and Boyd. Laid back, funny and has an air of confidence.

Said he asked if he could train on Friday but the AFL rules say he can't start until next week, though he did have a sneaky kick and running sesh with Bont yesterday. Love it.

KT31
09-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Extremely excited, I haven't been this excited since we stole Boyd from the Ferals.
I am a tad apprehensive he wont live up to the hype, although it seems more and more unlikely as he has been on the Woof raider for several years now.
I also hope we let him settle and find his feet and not expect to much from him too early.Aah #$%@ it if he doesn't kick a bag in his first couple of games he's a Bust.:D

bulldogsthru&thru
09-12-2020, 03:10 PM
JUH just went live on AFL.com.au and he seems completely different to the likes of Schache and Boyd. Laid back, funny and has an air of confidence.

Said he asked if he could train on Friday but the AFL rules say he can't start until next week, though he did have a sneaky kick and running sesh with Bont yesterday. Love it.

Yeah I'm not sure where these tall forward comparisons are coming from. He doesn't play like one. Tall forwards who were busts were so because they physically dominated at U18 level and then found they weren't much chop against opponents their own size. JUH is nothing like that. He's not huge. What makes him special is his freak athleticism in speed, agility and leap, combined with his size. This kid is not a one trick pony.

comrade
09-12-2020, 03:20 PM
Yeah I'm not sure where these tall forward comparisons are coming from. He doesn't play like one. Tall forwards who were busts were so because they physically dominated at U18 level and then found they weren't much chop against opponents their own size. JUH is nothing like that. He's not huge. What makes him special is his freak athleticism in speed, agility and leap, combined with his size. This kid is not a one trick pony.

Doesn't shy away from the hype, was wise cracking the entire interview. Definitely seems to live in that space between confidence and arrogance that all the best athletes inhabit (Naughts is also of the same ilk). No canned lines or polished media training.

bornadog
09-12-2020, 03:49 PM

Wingman?

jeemak
09-12-2020, 04:06 PM
The 'big boned' strong forwards do seem to struggle now - the skinnier athletic types seem to fare much better - the King twins and Naughton are the modern prototypes, the guys who are mobile and can really launch at the ball.

I saw Jon Patton walking his dog in the streets of Richmond a couple of days ago, and he's absolutely huge and thick set. Nothing like the kids coming through now.

Mofra
09-12-2020, 05:03 PM
I saw Jon Patton walking his dog in the streets of Richmond a couple of days ago, and he's absolutely huge and thick set. Nothing like the kids coming through now.
If we consider the opposite end of the ground - Dad performed well as a FB in his junior days, but played one game for us.
He was so muscly he looked borderline ridiculous.

jeemak
09-12-2020, 05:13 PM
Yeah, worked for Dunkley...

They're going to be cellar dwellers for a while.

They'll finish bottom and he'll go to them for nothing via the preseason draft!

bornadog
09-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Pre Draft Mood

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoxNvSvU8AAsm-M?format=jpg&name=medium

Jamarra:

“I probably had the worst sleep last night. I’ve had butterflies in my stomach since this morning.”

SquirrelGrip
09-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Even Marra is EXCITED!!

From Herald Sun online:

Likely No.1 pick's bizarre Bont favour

By Tim Michell

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan already wears the pants at Western Bulldogs.
Ugle-Hagan, from country Victorian town Framlingham, realised he'd arrived in Melbourne for the draft without a pair of jeans to wear to a draft night event.
His first call? Bulldogs skipper Marcus Bontempelli.
"He took me in for a week and looked after me and I obviously learned off him," he said.
"I'm actually taking his pants tonight as well because I didn't have jeans up in Melbourne.
"I think he was the first person I rang, I was like, 'do you have any jeans I can borrow?'
"I'm going to go pick them up soon."
Ugle-Hagan, tipped to be selected with pick 1 in tonight's draft, said he was yet to speak to the player he has been compared to for more than a year – Sydney superstar Lance Franklin.
But he's hoping for a call soon.
"Hopefully soon, to be honest. It's been like a year and a half nearly that talk has been happening and I thought he would give me a message," he said.
"Even like a, 'Mate, you're not Buddy'. Anything would do. He's a good bloke…I look up to him still."
The Bulldogs Next Generation Academy prospect said he had "the worst sleep" on Tuesday night as he waits to learn whether he'll be heading to Whitten Oval.
"I’ve had butterflies in my stomach since this morning," he said on the AFL website.
Adelaide has been tipped to bid for Ugle-Hagan with pick 1 but the Bulldogs will have no hesitation matching to snare the player most clubs rate as the best in this year's draft pool.
Ugle-Hagan said he asked to train on Friday with his new club but had been told draftees had to wait until Monday.

Rocket Science
09-12-2020, 05:22 PM
How's the temerity of the greenhorn calling out Buddy like "Hey fam, why u duckin' me?"

I love it.

josie
09-12-2020, 05:28 PM
Thx for that post squirrel grip.

Got ourselves one cool dude. My only fear (apart from being poached in a few years) is he catches the goal kicking wobbles but he seems like the type that would take that in his stride and improve.

Mofra
09-12-2020, 06:02 PM
Thx for that post squirrel grip.

Got ourselves one cool dude. My only fear (apart from being poached in a few years) is he catches the goal kicking wobbles but he seems like the type that would take that in his stride and improve.
I'd take it if he turns out to play like Naughton or Chris Grant.

josie
09-12-2020, 06:21 PM
I'd take it if he turns out to play like Naughton or Chris Grant.

Me too!! 2021 season can’t come fast enough.

DOG GOD
09-12-2020, 07:42 PM
I’m excited, yes, but I’m concerned too. I think he will either be a once in a lifetime bulldog player, OR the next Tim Walsh. I don’t think there’ll be anything in between.

Twodogs
09-12-2020, 08:53 PM
They'll finish bottom and he'll go to them for nothing via the preseason draft!

Not next year he won't. He still has two years of his contract left to run.

jeemak
09-12-2020, 09:36 PM

Yeah I know mate. Jeesh.

azabob
09-12-2020, 09:37 PM
Yeah I know mate. Jeesh.

Lol.

azabob
09-12-2020, 09:38 PM

Won’t he only have one?

jeemak
09-12-2020, 09:55 PM
Won’t he only have one?

Does he even have a contract yet?

azabob
09-12-2020, 09:58 PM
Does he even have a contract yet?

A ten year multi million $ deal

Twodogs
09-12-2020, 10:35 PM
Yeah I know mate. Jeesh.

Now I'm lost. Are we talking about Dunks or Marra? I've been reading too much delusional bullshit on Bomberblitz I think.

SonofScray
10-12-2020, 12:33 AM
Now I am excited.

Eastdog
10-12-2020, 12:41 AM
Now I am excited.

I’m super excited now!

Rocket Science
10-12-2020, 12:44 AM
How's the temerity of the greenhorn calling out Buddy like "Hey fam, why u duckin' me?"

I love it.

Then follows this up in his post-selection interview with calling the Bont "a good kid".

Can we fast-forward to the bit where he steps around a big name, Dangerfield will do, before dobbing his first goal from fifty then shooting Danger a sly wink?

Bulldog Revolution
10-12-2020, 08:30 AM
I’m excited, yes, but I’m concerned too. I think he will either be a once in a lifetime bulldog player, OR the next Tim Walsh. I don’t think there’ll be anything in between.

I don’t really understand this comparison - we really reached on Tim Walsh because of his size and supposed athleticism but Walsh was nowhere near the athlete, nor did he demonstrate anything remotely of the form or Jamarra.

Jamarra is a rare talent - still with lots to learn but Walsh we just a lucky big when our list desperately needed one

whythelongface
10-12-2020, 08:43 AM
I don’t really understand this comparison - we really reached on Tim Walsh because of his size and supposed athleticism but Walsh was nowhere near the athlete, nor did he demonstrate anything remotely of the form or Jamarra.

Jamarra is a rare talent - still with lots to learn but Walsh we just a lucky big when our list desperately needed one

Agree. No comparison. The positives are huge and whilst there is a lot of expectation there is nothing to suggest that this won’t be fulfilled. Even just listening to him yesterday it is hard to believe he is a kid that has just left school. Super excited about what he brings to us. The question will be does he come straight in game one? Looks like he will impact immediately similar to Rowell and Anderson.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-12-2020, 09:41 AM
Then follows this up in his post-selection interview with calling the Bont "a good kid".

Can we fast-forward to the bit where he steps around a big name, Dangerfield will do, before dobbing his first goal from fifty then shooting Danger a sly wink?

Oh boy, don't get me too excited RS.

comrade
10-12-2020, 09:50 AM
The "good kid" comment was outrageous. Love it.

GVGjr
10-12-2020, 10:05 AM

Regarding Walsh, the way it was described to me was that we really rated his marking which is why we selected him. Unfortunately it never translated into a senior football level skill and injuries also played it's part. I was also told that he was very diligent with his efforts. Marra has a lot more natural talent than Walsh so like you I don't quite get the comparison

bornadog
10-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Get excited: https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1336790957790961664

Bulldog4life
10-12-2020, 10:30 AM
So I've been hearing about Jamarra since he was 14 or 15. And if he reaches the heights that some in the industry (and footy club) believe he will reach....then I'd say our supporter base is nowhere near as excited as it could be.

He could be unlike any player we've ever had at our footy club.

A combination of The Bont, Chris Grant and EJ. Would be magnificent.

The bulldog tragician
10-12-2020, 10:43 AM
It's a joyful time, when a new player is starry-eyed, madly in love with the game, and absolutely everything is possible. We as fans can revel in his limitless potential. No injuries to worry about, no mean-spirited comments on social media, no disappointing frailties on show. I love the tweet showing him effortlessly flying for a speckie. Staying up there a bit longer, just because he can. May it always be like this for Marrah. May he always make his family, his community, and our club very proud.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-12-2020, 10:54 AM
Having Jamarra and Naughts in the forward line is going to be a nightmare for opposition coaches. The aerial capacity of both, combined with their mix of speed and agility has me very excited.

Dancin' Douggy
10-12-2020, 11:09 AM

Substitute danger for Sicily and I’m in.

Rocket Science
10-12-2020, 11:12 AM

Sold.

And while Sicily's still steaming Libba ruffles his hair for good measure.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Having Jamarra and Naughts in the forward line is going to be a nightmare for opposition coaches. The aerial capacity of both, combined with their mix of speed and agility has me very excited.

Let's just hope we can get it in there with a bit of precision.

Mofra
10-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Sicily won't play next year (ACL).

Jeremy Cameron will do.

Mofra
10-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Let's just hope we can get it in there with a bit of precision.
If only we had a decent group of midfielders...

bulldogsthru&thru
10-12-2020, 01:05 PM
If only we had a decent group of midfielders...

That same group we had last year? I hope Treloar is an excellent kick.

I actually don't think the cattle is the problem. It's the methodology. Of both the forwards and mids.

jeemak
11-12-2020, 12:29 AM
That same group we had last year? I hope Treloar is an excellent kick.

I actually don't think the cattle is the problem. It's the methodology. Of both the forwards and mids.

The forward line was a bit shambolic at times during the year but we still did reasonably for marks inside 50m. I think if we get some continuity in our forward structure it will help us go to the next level, and we didn't have that for much of the year.

First and foremost we need to get the game on our terms in contested and open play out of defence and through the middle, and when we get it into our forward line hold our space and not compress it too much. Because we we fail at the latter that's when we look our worst in the forward line.

Ghost Dog
11-12-2020, 01:04 AM
Watched JUH's highlights. He is going to be a defender's nightmare.
I'm pinching myself. How are they going to stop a fully fit Aaron N. + JUH with Baily Smith putting it down their throats.
All the comp's defenders are in for some pain.

AshMac
11-12-2020, 09:14 AM
very excited now - the thought of two elite contested marks hungry for the footy in our forward line in mouth watering!

Time will tell of course

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Watched JUH's highlights. He is going to be a defender's nightmare.
I'm pinching myself. How are they going to stop a fully fit Aaron N. + JUH with Baily Smith putting it down their throats.
All the comp's defenders are in for some pain.

I suspect Bont is going to increasingly spend time forward next year too. For mine it makes it super important that we develop someone who can play at their feet and apply defensive pressure. Could Rhylee West play this role?

Mofra
11-12-2020, 09:39 AM
I suspect Bont is going to increasingly spend time forward next year too. For mine it makes it super important that we develop someone who can play at their feet and apply defensive pressure. Could Rhylee West play this role?
I feel like we've blown an opportunity with late/rookie picks this draft and last.
I really thing needs have to come into late and speculative selections.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-12-2020, 01:22 PM
I feel like we've blown an opportunity with late/rookie picks this draft and last.
I really thing needs have to come into late and speculative selections.

Be it now or in the future, can you imagine if we can pluck somebody like a Charlie Cameron/Shai Bolton to play as a FP alongside Naughty/Marra?

That surely has to be the focus for the next few years.

Dancin' Douggy
11-12-2020, 05:36 PM
Be it now or in the future, can you imagine if we can pluck somebody like a Charlie Cameron/Shai Bolton to play as a FP alongside Naughty/Marra?

That surely has to be the focus for the next few years.

There was a guy there too for our last pick. Winder from WA. Can’t believe we didn’t nab him.

bornadog
04-01-2021, 11:08 AM
This kid is a freak:

https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1345838343725015040

soupman
04-01-2021, 11:21 AM
This kid is a freak:

https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1345838343725015040

Not sure how handy that will come in, although if you ask our critics from 2016, the answer is a lot.

Mofra
05-02-2021, 09:53 AM
197cm and 91kgs now, he's grown.
God we got a good one here.

hujsh
05-02-2021, 10:18 AM
That's a very nice height for him

Grantysghost
05-02-2021, 10:19 AM

Better than Buddy already. He's 196 :cool: !

Happy Days
05-02-2021, 10:33 AM
That rules. Gotta admit I’ve been drawn in by how dangerous players like the King twins and Joe Daniher as somewhat lithe talls, so if JUH can turn into that sort of threat it will make for great viewing.

Axe Man
05-02-2021, 11:00 AM

I look forward to him being listed at various heights and weights and the ensuing arguments.

Good to see the club website is up to date.

https://i.postimg.cc/9Qk5p15g/Capture.png (https://postimg.cc/tsFMR3gF)

Axe Man
05-02-2021, 11:03 AM
That rules. Gotta admit I’ve been drawn in by how dangerous players like the King twins and Joe Daniher as somewhat lithe talls, so if JUH can turn into that sort of threat it will make for great viewing.

Hopefully more King twins than Ayce Cordy.

bornadog
05-02-2021, 02:36 PM
I look forward to him being listed at various heights and weights and the ensuing arguments.

Good to see the club website is up to date.

https://i.postimg.cc/9Qk5p15g/Capture.png (https://postimg.cc/tsFMR3gF)

But what about his weight :D

bornadog
06-02-2021, 12:21 AM
Apparently on Bob and Andy (SEN)

UGLE-HAGAN: Had my first real practice match today. It was basically seniors versus the rest. I spent some time forward, then on the wing and then on the ball. I would like to explore different positions even down back

dog town
06-02-2021, 06:38 AM
Apparently on Bob and Andy (SEN) It was a pretty ordinary interview to be honest. Basically just said he had come off from being forward and they needed a winger, was about to go wing when Bevo said actually have a run in the guts for a while.

Rocket Science
06-02-2021, 03:29 PM
Apparently on Bob and Andy (SEN)

https://i.ibb.co/NrC7DVN/Screen-Shot-2021-02-06-at-2-30-10-PM.png (https://ibb.co/DYWLcVM)

Call me cynical but that quote strongly conjures this image ...

https://i.ibb.co/y4Qdhm6/marra.png (https://ibb.co/41VKsw8)

jeemak
06-02-2021, 03:37 PM
Don't worry mate, nobody would ever dream of calling you cynical!

bornadog
06-02-2021, 06:13 PM
https://i.ibb.co/NrC7DVN/Screen-Shot-2021-02-06-at-2-30-10-PM.png (https://ibb.co/DYWLcVM)

Call me cynical but that quote strongly conjures this image ...

https://i.ibb.co/y4Qdhm6/marra.png (https://ibb.co/41VKsw8)

He is a freak and can play anywhere :D Anywhere the coach wants him to :D

Hotdog60
06-02-2021, 07:58 PM
Jamarra adapting to Bulldog life

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2021/02/05/bf40b927-4fe6-4b4f-8d84-04ad9cc3392c/HERO_060221JUH.jpg?width=952&height=592

After going more than twelve months without playing a game of footy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has wasted no time throwing himself into life as an AFL footballer.

The number one pick from last year’s draft has already drawn plenty of praise from teammates about his talent this pre-season.

Ugle-Hagan admits pre-season has been hard work – albeit he’s enjoying that side of it.

“I’m getting used to the body contact with the bigger bodies,” he told SEN’s Bob and Andy on Friday.

“Coming in from a NAB League point of view as a bottom-ager to an AFL list, it’s a lot harder.”

The exciting 18-year-old key forward has been moved between positions in match simulation sessions so far to get a taste of things – after last playing a game of footy at the end of 2019, due to the NAB League season being cancelled.

In Friday’s session, he got a taste of life in the engine room against some of the competition’s elite.

“I had a run in the forward line, deep forward, and then I had a run in the guts,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“I came off the bench and Bevo said, “we’ll chuck you on the wing”. Then he goes, “actually, we’ll chuck you in the guts”.

“It was pretty hard, but I got through it which was good.”

The appeal of a round one debut is in the back of Ugle-Hagan’s mind – although he’s conscious he has a lot of work ahead of him to get there amidst a fight for spots in the Bulldogs’ best 22.

For now, he’s focused on putting in the hard yards and enjoying the ride.

And what will be, will be.

“That’s what we’re all training for in pre-season. Everyone wants to play round one,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“The reason I play footy is because I love it. You don’t want to lose the kid inside you. Obviously it can get hard and it can get tough sometimes.

“Round one, round seven or even next year, there’s no rush to play a game.

“I want to be the best I can in my first year – just do what I can do, nothing special, just have fun and enjoy the game.”

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/858814/jamarra-adapting-to-bulldog-life)

comrade
21-02-2021, 09:59 PM
Seems to be a real attempt by the club to pour cold water on the Jamarra hype. Every mention of him in an interview with players/coaches highlights his talent but reinforces how far off he is and how expectations need to be managed. We've also barely had any footage of him throughout the pre-season (but that's nothing new).

Is the club being overly cautious and trying to ensure the he avoids the pressure that has fallen on the likes of Jack Watts and Tom Boyd, or is he really struggling to adapt after having a year off?

jeemak
21-02-2021, 10:02 PM
Reckon it could be a bit of both. We're a super conservative club and I think possibly a bit scarred by how poorly the media treated Tom Boyd under our watch.

GVGjr
21-02-2021, 10:05 PM
Seems to be a real attempt by the club to pour cold water on the Jamarra hype. Every mention of him in an interview with players/coaches highlights his talent but reinforces how far off he is and how expectations need to be managed. We've also barely had any footage of him throughout the pre-season (but that's nothing new).

Is the club being overly cautious and trying to ensure the he avoids the pressure that has fallen on the likes of Jack Watts and Tom Boyd, or is he really struggling to adapt after having a year off?

Missed nearly all of last season which would have been a huge development year for him. I'm all for being cautious with expectations on him this year. I'm sure he will impress but he isn't likely to play a lot this year

boydogs
22-02-2021, 02:40 AM
He's a skinny tall, will take time to be able to compete with AFL bodies

He's 195cm and 90kg, Stringer was 192cm and 95kg when drafted

The Bulldogs Bite
23-02-2021, 05:24 PM
Missed nearly all of last season which would have been a huge development year for him. I'm all for being cautious with expectations on him this year. I'm sure he will impress but he isn't likely to play a lot this year

Always thought he would take time - missing a year at his age is pretty crucial. It's a big step from U18s to the AFL at the best of times, let alone what they all went through last year.

It's unfortunate in the sense that it doesn't feed into building hype/excitement, but his time - and that excitement - will come in time when he's ready.

bornadog
23-02-2021, 05:31 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eu4lPfhVEAAIs1U?format=jpg&name=medium

Hotdog60
23-02-2021, 06:18 PM
6 goals in the practice match nice prediction.

comrade
23-02-2021, 06:34 PM
6 goals in the practice match nice prediction.

Which quarter?

Rocket Science
23-02-2021, 06:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eu4lPfhVEAAIs1U?format=jpg&name=medium

https://i.ibb.co/10dVRdS/smokin.jpg (https://ibb.co/vcQ5LQt)

Mantis
25-02-2021, 11:31 AM
First time I'd seen him in action was yesterday and whilst he's influence was limited what he did just reeks class.. The ball just melds into his hands and his leaping for the ball is similar to Naughts, but he might have more hops which is a little crazy.

My expectations are limited on what we see from him this year given he hasn't really played for 18 months, but very excited to see where he gets to by the end of the year... as this will just be the entrée.

comrade
25-02-2021, 12:33 PM
First time I'd seen him in action was yesterday and whilst he's influence was limited what he did just reeks class.. The ball just melds into his hands and his leaping for the ball is similar to Naughts, but he might have more hops which is a little crazy.

My expectations are limited on what we see from him this year given he hasn't really played for 18 months, but very excited to see where he gets to by the end of the year... as this will just be the entrée.

I liked his intent to tackle and pressure yesterday above all else. He really put the hurt on a few opponents, all legally.

Look out in 2 years when he's harder and stronger. He won't be dropping many.

ratsmac
25-02-2021, 01:17 PM
I loved his screamer attemp when he dropped it but landed on his feet gathered the ball in the pack stepped sideways and dished it off. You don't learn that shit, its pure instinct

Oh yeah and he hurt the opposition

jazzadogs
25-02-2021, 02:23 PM
https://youtu.be/egRSwi0A93A

Als Highlights at it again. Also get some nice glimpses of other players from the reserves match.

Although he didn't clunk his marks, I love his second efforts and pressure. He's more imposing than I expected as well.

Mofra
25-02-2021, 02:32 PM
Yep he's a touted no 1 pick but actually likes the rough stuff too, that's a pleasant surprise.
He's further back than many stated but there is just so much raw potential there. By god the kid can jump too.

comrade
25-02-2021, 02:33 PM
Should have been paid at least one more free kick inside 50, and that free against him was dodgy too, just good body work. Good signs.

Topdog
25-02-2021, 02:46 PM
I loved his screamer attemp when he dropped it but landed on his feet gathered the ball in the pack stepped sideways and dished it off. You don't learn that shit, its pure instinct

Oh yeah and he hurt the opposition

And now that I've seen the video I also love that he absolutely clattered the Hawks player too. That was an awesome bit of play.

Rocket Science
25-02-2021, 03:14 PM
At pains of giving Bevo any (more) ideas he truly seems to have the ability to play just about anywhere.

He's certainly no mere 'mark and kick' type.

ratsmac
25-02-2021, 03:14 PM
And now that I've seen the video I also love that he absolutely clattered the Hawks player too. That was an awesome bit of play.

Dare I say it it was Buddy-esque! Buddy has always hurt opponents. He was the pin-up boy for enforcing the unintentional head contact suspensions. I hope JUH keeps his buddy comparisons going! But without the suspensions

Axe Man
09-03-2021, 10:44 AM
Not sure how to feel about this. Potential for some super talented father son/daughter picks or am I getting ahead of myself?:D

Mia Fevola’s new romance with top AFL draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/mia-fevolas-new-romance-with-top-afl-draft-pick-jamarra-uglehagan/news-story/f33ebb0dfaf1296c4c1e2fbf7db2cd6d)
Footy’s hottest new couple, Mia Fevola and Western Bulldog’s young gun, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, have finally gone public with their relationship.

The pair, who have been quietly dating and teasing their romance on social media, went ‘Insta-official’ on Monday night.

Ugle-Hagan, the number one pick in the 2020 AFL draft, posted a photo of the genetically blessed pair on his social media complete with a love heart.

Fevola, 21, the daughter of former Carlton great turned radio host Brendan Fevola, was formerly in a long-term relationship with Richmond triple premiership player Daniel Rioli.

She and Ugle-Hagan, 18, were spotted together numerous times during the summer holiday season enjoying the relaxed months and mood with friends at party spots such as the Sorrento Hotel.

They have also been spotted at certain bars around town and traded cheeky comments on Instagram.

And the glamorous Fevola has made regular appearances on Ugle-Hagan’s social media.

A picture of him wearing a jumper from her clothing range was cute and supportive.

Fevola described she and Ugle-Hagan as just friends when asked last month, but they are clearly now comfortable to share their happiness publicly.

They are definitely about to become Melbourne’s couple of the moment.

Stand by for floods of invites from event managers and PRs looking for media worthy red carpet shots.

Fevola is an impressive young woman who has head screwed on.

She launched her own leisurewear label MALLT Collective last year and is going from strength to strength as an influencer and brand ambassador.

She also navigated the end of her relationship with Rioli with class and dignity.

Rioli recently went public with his new girlfriend, DJ Paris Lawrence.

Ugle-Hagan has been described by some footy scribes as ‘Buddy 2.0’, thanks to his athleticism and style of play drawing comparisons with Hawthorn and Sydney star Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-03-2021, 11:03 AM
meh...good luck to them but not the stuff I want to hear about. Hopefully he doesn't crave the spotlight and end up wanting to play for the big clubs.

ratsmac
09-03-2021, 11:09 PM
Maybe Fev could be his forward coach and teach him how to the position because we seem to turn pick 1 and 2 KPF's into mediocre KPF's.

Bulldog4life
10-03-2021, 09:05 AM
Not sure how to feel about this. Potential for some super talented father son/daughter picks or am I getting ahead of myself?:D

Mia Fevola’s new romance with top AFL draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/mia-fevolas-new-romance-with-top-afl-draft-pick-jamarra-uglehagan/news-story/f33ebb0dfaf1296c4c1e2fbf7db2cd6d)
Footy’s hottest new couple, Mia Fevola and Western Bulldog’s young gun, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, have finally gone public with their relationship.

The pair, who have been quietly dating and teasing their romance on social media, went ‘Insta-official’ on Monday night.

Ugle-Hagan, the number one pick in the 2020 AFL draft, posted a photo of the genetically blessed pair on his social media complete with a love heart.

Fevola, 21, the daughter of former Carlton great turned radio host Brendan Fevola, was formerly in a long-term relationship with Richmond triple premiership player Daniel Rioli.

She and Ugle-Hagan, 18, were spotted together numerous times during the summer holiday season enjoying the relaxed months and mood with friends at party spots such as the Sorrento Hotel.

They have also been spotted at certain bars around town and traded cheeky comments on Instagram.

And the glamorous Fevola has made regular appearances on Ugle-Hagan’s social media.

A picture of him wearing a jumper from her clothing range was cute and supportive.

Fevola described she and Ugle-Hagan as just friends when asked last month, but they are clearly now comfortable to share their happiness publicly.

They are definitely about to become Melbourne’s couple of the moment.

Stand by for floods of invites from event managers and PRs looking for media worthy red carpet shots.

Fevola is an impressive young woman who has head screwed on.

She launched her own leisurewear label MALLT Collective last year and is going from strength to strength as an influencer and brand ambassador.

She also navigated the end of her relationship with Rioli with class and dignity.

Rioli recently went public with his new girlfriend, DJ Paris Lawrence.

Ugle-Hagan has been described by some footy scribes as ‘Buddy 2.0’, thanks to his athleticism and style of play drawing comparisons with Hawthorn and Sydney star Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin.

Nice story but rather a story about his footy, hard training etc than his social life. Copy the Bont son.

comrade
10-03-2021, 09:09 AM
Nice story but rather a story about his footy, hard training etc than his social life. Copy the Bont son.

He can’t help what the media puts out but I’d prefer he didn’t give them the ammo by posting constantly on social media. Head down, kid.

AshMac
11-03-2021, 08:52 PM
Lots to like from that video. his vertical leap and movement to position under the ball look great. Seems there is work to do to adjust to the pace of AFL level and the intensity. Certainly looks like he wants to footy all the time!

Vred
19-03-2021, 07:10 PM
JUH kicked 5 today in our game vs Collingwood, had a big hand in setting up afew other goals as well.

https://twitter.com/FootscrayVFL/status/1372796944641191939

Prince Imperial
19-03-2021, 07:54 PM
I watched today's match. Get very excited everybody!

divvydan
19-03-2021, 08:23 PM
I'd imagine he'd debut much earlier if there was no interchange cap.

josie
19-03-2021, 08:49 PM
I watched today's match. Get very excited everybody!

Please tell us more Prince.

jazzadogs
20-03-2021, 01:30 AM
A play-by-play of his five goals would be much appreicated. I'm hungry for Marra.

The bulldog tragician
20-03-2021, 01:49 AM
We saw him walking into the ground. There is something endearing/charming about him, a very relaxed looking young man. Such hopes for his future!

Prince Imperial
20-03-2021, 02:19 AM
Please tell us more Prince.

As you might guess he took several strong marks but I was also impressed with his goal kicking which is something I understood he needed to work on.

josie
20-03-2021, 02:21 AM
As you might guess he took several strong marks but I was also impressed with his goal kicking which is something I understood he needed to work on.

Thx!!

josie
24-03-2021, 07:23 PM
Apparently we can see JUH play in VFL praccy match 12:30pm this Sat 27 March at Windy Hill. Had a quick look to see if I could confirm this. In doing so came across this post - how's this for a laugh folks.... from Warnambool bomber- :
https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/vfl-practice-match-vs-footscray-the-hangar-12-30pm-saturday-27-march-2021/21703

I've repeated post below (what do these deluded folks drink?):
"An extremely bittersweet Saturday coming up for us Ugle’s this week. Jamarra’s manager promised the family that he would be an Essendon player in 2021 but it wasn’t to be. This week he’s coming up against the side he loves. Albeit it being in the VFL.

Relationships between Beveridge and Jamarra are still untenable. He kicked 5 on the weekend vs Collingwood in the VFL and was best on ground and Beveridge still won’t play him. Counting down the days until a trade can officially be requested at seasons end, so he can finally don the sash and be an Essendon footballer.

Dodoro has managed to organise JUH to live with Stringer for the last few weeks just to give him a taste of what it takes to be a professional footballer. And how much of a privilege it is to play for Essendon.

Would be unbelievable to get 20K Essendon supporters at the game to show him some Universal love and show him what he’s missing out on at the Dish Lickers."

Think I might go & hope to see some other woofers there. We need to make sure we stop any loopy bomber fans planning to abduct Jamarra!!!

comrade
24-03-2021, 07:27 PM
Apparently we can see JUH play in VFL praccy match 12:30pm this Sat 27 March at Windy Hill. Had a quick look to see if I could confirm this. In doing so came across this post - how's this for a laugh folks.... from Warnambool bomber- :
https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/vfl-practice-match-vs-footscray-the-hangar-12-30pm-saturday-27-march-2021/21703

I've repeated post below (what do these deluded folks drink?):
"An extremely bittersweet Saturday coming up for us Ugle’s this week. Jamarra’s manager promised the family that he would be an Essendon player in 2021 but it wasn’t to be. This week he’s coming up against the side he loves. Albeit it being in the VFL.

Relationships between Beveridge and Jamarra are still untenable. He kicked 5 on the weekend vs Collingwood in the VFL and was best on ground and Beveridge still won’t play him. Counting down the days until a trade can officially be requested at seasons end, so he can finally don the sash and be an Essendon footballer.

Dodoro has managed to organise JUH to live with Stringer for the last few weeks just to give him a taste of what it takes to be a professional footballer. And how much of a privilege it is to play for Essendon.

Would be unbelievable to get 20K Essendon supporters at the game to show him some Universal love and show him what he’s missing out on at the Dish Lickers."

Think I might go & hope to see some other woofers there. We need to make sure we stop any loopy bomber fans planning to abduct Jamarra!!!

That poster is a troll that spent all last year riling up Essendon supports on BB with rubbish about Jamarra and his manager conspiring to get him to the Bombers.

jeemak
24-03-2021, 07:36 PM
You can tell the shark has almost been jumped and trolling exhausted, as he's claimed Jamarra has moved in with Stringer to learn about professionalism and what it's like to play for the Bummers. Excellent.

Rocket Science
24-03-2021, 07:40 PM
UNTENABLE!

Speaking of our defector in waiting, for bloke who is definitely not debuting this week there's a curious surge of 'Marra content on AFEL.com over the last couple of days.

comrade
24-03-2021, 07:41 PM
You can tell the shark has almost been jumped and trolling exhausted, as he's claimed Jamarra has moved in with Stringer to learn about professionalism and what it's like to play for the Bummers. Excellent.

Yeah, it's become a little egregious now. I'm sure the mods keep it up because they hope there is a sliver of truth to it, which makes it even better.

Grantysghost
24-03-2021, 07:44 PM
His mum follows West Coast so not sure the "family" are that upset. Not even decent trolling just sad really.

jeemak
24-03-2021, 07:50 PM
His mum follows West Coast so not sure the "family" are that upset. Not even decent trolling just sad really.

It's results based trolling. If it gets Bummer folks riled up and fills them with false hope then I'm OK with it.

Grantysghost
24-03-2021, 07:52 PM
It's results based trolling. If it gets Bummer folks riled up and fills them with false hope then I'm OK with it.

I'm ok with that part, if you believe that you're fair game! It's the use of their name that is pretty avg.
I expect they wouldn't be happy about it.

Grantysghost
24-03-2021, 07:56 PM
UNTENABLE!

Speaking of our defector in waiting, for bloke who is definitely not debuting this week there's a curious surge of 'Marra content on AFEL.com over the last couple of days.

He's gotta be in.

1eyedog
24-03-2021, 08:24 PM
He's gotta be in.

Play him for three quarters then med sub him with a hammy tweak.

Happy Days
24-03-2021, 08:56 PM

Amazing.

ratsmac
24-03-2021, 11:31 PM
It seems like proper trolling but at the same time there are plenty a delusional bummer supporters who are green with envy at our list and are constantly looking over the Maribyrnong drooling. They truly believe our players would love to "Don the sash".

Hopefully Dunks has realised what a bunch pricks the are when they didn't put his brother on the senior list like they promised if he requested a trade and tells them to piss off if they come knocking again.

They are a filthy club that can't win anything without cheating salary caps or drugs and have won diddly squat since it became an 18 team competition.

jeemak
25-03-2021, 12:08 AM
It seems like proper trolling but at the same time there are plenty a delusional bummer supporters who are green with envy at our list and are constantly looking over the Maribyrnong drooling. They truly believe our players would love to "Don the sash".

Hopefully Dunks has realised what a bunch pricks the are when they didn't put his brother on the senior list like they promised if he requested a trade and tells them to piss off if they come knocking again.

They are a filthy club that can't win anything without cheating salary caps or drugs and have won diddly squat since it became an 18 team competition.

The best part about it is they actually can't see about themselves what everyone else can (including the AFL, mind the Bummers have too many influential people attached to them). Their lack of self awareness is delivering fantastic outcomes competition wide and may it long continue to do so.

macca
25-03-2021, 02:15 AM

Fantasia and Saad had pretty good games .i hope they Only get better

Is this the first time in 5 years joe daniher has started on round 1 ? I have not checked his stats

AshMac
25-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Move in w Stringer to learn professionalism. Outstanding banter 😂

Axe Man
25-03-2021, 10:27 AM
Move in w Stringer to learn professionalism. Outstanding banter ��

I've heard he is also doing an internship at Parliament House in his spare time to learn respect for women.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2021, 11:53 PM
Foxtel blokes pumping up a debut for Jamarra this week. The pump up is on.

Mantis
24-04-2021, 12:01 AM
Foxtel blokes pumping up a debut for Jamarra this week. The pump up is on.

Jon Ralph obviously didn’t watch our game last night as Jamarra still looks a fair way off with his conditioning.

GVGjr
24-04-2021, 12:03 AM
We shouldn't rush him as others have pointed out his conditioning isn't at the required level.
Lets unleash him at the mid point of the season.

FrediKanoute
24-04-2021, 02:55 AM
Gee though he does some amazing things. He is a clever player......going to say he makes time stand still.

Bullies
24-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Gee though he does some amazing things. He is a clever player......going to say he makes time stand still. Agreed. I would roll the dice for this week and select him. It is much easier getting a kick in the ones than the twos especially when you are elite. You can see when he is the 2's he is already a step ahead with his anticipation as to where the ball is going to go. That is a better trait to have in the 1's.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2021, 11:48 AM
Jon Ralph obviously didn’t watch our game last night as Jamarra still looks a fair way off with his conditioning.

His chasing when he hasn't got the ball is up and down too. Needs to be worked on still.

comrade
24-04-2021, 11:49 AM
Agreed. I would roll the dice for this week and select him. It is much easier getting a kick in the ones than the twos especially when you are elite. You can see when he is the 2's he is already a step ahead with his anticipation as to where the ball is going to go. That is a better trait to have in the 1's.

He would blow up by half time and we’d be effectively playing 1 down for a half.

DOG GOD
24-04-2021, 12:26 PM
He would blow up by half time and we’d be effectively playing 1 down for a half.

Yep, I’d be surprised if we saw him at all this year, and would be absolutely shocked if he debuted about the Tigers.

comrade
24-04-2021, 12:30 PM
Yep, I’d be surprised if we saw him at all this year, and would be absolutely shocked if he debuted about the Tigers.

With Bevo’s track record of selection shocks, we can probably pencil in a JUH debut then!

DOG GOD
24-04-2021, 12:32 PM
With Bevo’s track record of selection shocks, we can probably pencil in a JUH debut then!

Well, I agree it wouldn’t surprise me at all when it comes to the MC, and anyone else would probably get a call up, but like you’ve said Comrade, he’d be knackered at half time.

Grantysghost
24-04-2021, 12:37 PM
I think it's time.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2021, 12:46 PM
History echoing?

Naughton, Top 10 Pick, Sticky hands, Limited AFL time forward, Round 7, 2019 we played Richmond, he has 14 Marks, 9 Contested
Ugle-Hagan, Top 10 Pick, Sticky hands, Limited AFL time forward, Round 7, 2021 we play Richmond, ....

DOG GOD
24-04-2021, 12:51 PM
History echoing?

Naughton, Top 10 Pick, Sticky hands, Limited AFL time forward, Round 7, 2019 we played Richmond, he has 14 Marks, 9 Contested
Ugle-Hagan, Top 10 Pick, Sticky hands, Limited AFL time forward, Round 7, 2021 we play Richmond, ....

I like your thinking bulldogtragic. The big stage might just be what ignites Ugle-Hagan. I guess we will know soon.

hujsh
24-04-2021, 01:03 PM
No way should he play this week. It Schache or Sweet. Forget the 'narrative' I want to win the game

Grantysghost
24-04-2021, 01:07 PM
History echoing?

Serendipitous! It's time to unleash the beast.

GVGjr
24-04-2021, 01:21 PM
No way should he play this week. It Schache or Sweet. Forget the 'narrative' I want to win the game

Where would Sweet and Martin play when not rucking?

I like the two ruck man concept but it really works best when English is one of them.

Jamarra should come in later in the year.

Grantysghost
24-04-2021, 01:24 PM

I like the two ruck man concept but it really works best when English is one of them.

Later as in next week?

bulldogsthru&thru
24-04-2021, 01:27 PM
We can’t play both Martin and Sweet. We’d be way too slow and that’s especially bad against the tigers.

I put faith in the MC to know what’s best re Ugle Hagan as it’s just a question of fitness.

I’d go with Schache.

Grantysghost
24-04-2021, 01:45 PM
We can’t play both Martin and Sweet. We’d be way too slow and that’s especially bad against the tigers.

I put faith in the MC to know what’s best re Ugle Hagan as it’s just a question of fitness.

I’d go with Schache.

Schache will replace English I think. Good time to stick it to the Tigers who thought he was no good.

hujsh
24-04-2021, 02:59 PM

Would have to require Sweet do time forward. Not ideal I agree and I'd lean towards Schache given Richmond have the one ruck

Twodogs
26-04-2021, 11:47 AM
Later as in next week?

Technically that's later in the year.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2021, 11:58 AM
We should select Schache and I agree 100%.

BUT

What is the point of having an exciting #1 pick KPF if not to have the fun of pumping him up to the rest of the footy industry. Thereby also telling everyone not only are we top of the ladder with the best attack, we have a#1 pick KPF ready to thrill the footy world.

SO

After 5 goals last week, we the top of the ladder should unleash our once in a generation forward. Immediately as he’s a gun who will make this top of the ladder team even better. He’s a freakish talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grantysghost
26-04-2021, 12:14 PM

BUT

What is the point of having an exciting #1 pick KPF if not to have the fun of pumping him up to the rest of the footy industry. Thereby also telling everyone not only are we top of the ladder with the best attack, we have a#1 pick KPF ready to thrill the footy world.

SO

After 5 goals last week, we the top of the ladder should unleash our once in a generation forward. Immediately as he’s a gun who will make this top of the ladder team even better. He’s a freakish talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hear hear BT. Timing couldn't be better.

comrade
26-04-2021, 12:46 PM
I love the romance of it, but he can barely get through a VFL game. Maybe we can play him for the first half and activate the sub once he inevitably succumbs to a full body cramp.

Mantis
26-04-2021, 01:04 PM
I love the romance of it, but he can barely get through a VFL game. Maybe we can play him for the first half and activate the sub once he inevitably succumbs to a full body cramp.

Yep... I’d love for him to be playing sooner rather than later, but let’s give him a few more games at the lower level to build up his tank before he gets his opportunity.

It is a rather scary for everyone else that we have him waiting in the wings.

comrade
26-04-2021, 01:12 PM
The Tigers aren’t the side I’d bring him in against and Schache is much more deserving of promotion from a form/work rate/conditioning perspective.

The Adelaide Connection
26-04-2021, 01:56 PM
I want to save him for the Essendon game.

1) Imagine the salty burn after they lost the trade period, didn’t get Dunkley and now they have a kid who grew up supporting them kicking a bag on them.
2) They will definitely go after him In the game (with cheap shots etc.) and it should wash any semblance of love he has for his boyhood club down the drain.

3) I hate Essendon.

azabob
26-04-2021, 08:02 PM
So. Why isn’t his tank up to scratch?

He has been part of our program for a number of years and last year apparently he spent a lot of time running when he wasn’t playing.

I am somewhat concerned he still has a long way to go.

comrade
26-04-2021, 08:06 PM

He has been part of our program for a number of years and last year apparently he spent a lot of time running when he wasn’t playing.

He missed an entire year of playing and training. That'll set most kids back.

There's really only been one Vic kid drafted last year that's kicked on to this point and that is certified athletic freak, Nik Cox.

Happy Days
26-04-2021, 08:08 PM
We’re also consciously trying to blow him up with extended runs on the wing. Which his tank *should* be able to handle but its definitely making him more tired than he’d be otherwise.

divvydan
26-04-2021, 10:50 PM
The first few practice games in the VFL didn't help with one player basically having to be glued to the goalsquare at all times. He's just coming from a long way back endurance wise due to a variety of factors. Internally the club will know if he understands just what is required of him from that standpoint if he's to play AFL. It's possible we could play him with the intention of blowing him up if we think that's what he needs to really get it but at the same time, it might just be something that takes 2-3 years of full preseasons to get to the level of what's required given the way the game is played and the limited interchanges.

There have been numerous examples of young talented players who have taken time to get fit enough for AFL (including Gary Ablett Jnr) but with the current interchange cap, there's less opportunity to carry players through games, so it's a tough decision for the match committee, especially when Schache is also putting his hand up to play in a similar position with years more under his belt.

Mofra
27-04-2021, 09:12 AM
It is a rather scary for everyone else that we have him waiting in the wings.
Not many teams would have a no 1 and no 2 draft pick playing VFL simply due to competition for spots.

Mofra
27-04-2021, 09:14 AM

There is little substitute for match fitness.
I think he's close to Bont in terms of natural talent but he just isn't ready and I think it will be many weeks before he is.

kruder
27-04-2021, 09:24 AM
I remember JUH doing well at the endurance test at one of the state screenings maybe at 17 or just before the pandemic?

I'm a little surprised by his fitness lets hope he gets the message, Bevo noted it early I like the way the club is managing him.

I wouldn't play him until the second half of the season.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2021, 02:56 PM

BUT

SO

As Regan said in the Exorcist all in good time Karras.

The bulldog tragician
27-04-2021, 03:31 PM
Why rush? Remember the Jack watts debut before he was physically ready? We have a rare talent. I can wait.

bornadog
27-04-2021, 04:54 PM
I don't think he is ready, but then again, wouldn't it be great to get your first game in front of a big crowd a dn get a taste for it.

bornadog
27-04-2021, 05:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Cx1VRZ4co&ab_channel=Michael

DOG GOD
27-04-2021, 05:45 PM
Wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t play a game this year.

josie
27-04-2021, 07:30 PM
A game against north or one of sides well out of contention would be ideal. Jamarra really needs to build his endurance up & when he does boy will he be exciting to watch (as he is showing glimpses of in vfl).

Gotta give Schache a go-he has the tank & can act as backup ruck & can bloody well kick straight too!!

Hotdog60
27-04-2021, 07:42 PM
A game against north or one of sides well out of contention would be ideal. Jamarra really needs to build his endurance up & when he dies boy will he be exciting to watch (as he is showing glimpses of in vfl).

Gotta give Schache a go-he has the tank & can act as backup ruck & can bloody well kick straight too!!

What in another life....;)

SquirrelGrip
27-04-2021, 10:48 PM
I’m hearing noises from within about a certain debutant this week ….

Bumper Bulldogs
27-04-2021, 10:57 PM
I’m hearing noises from within about a certain debutant this week ….

Now that’s exciting! Hope he lives up to the hype. Media frenzie coming on.

josie
28-04-2021, 12:02 AM
What in another life....;)

Oh dear, helluva mistake. Thanks Hotdog for spotting that. Typos are a speciality of mine.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-04-2021, 08:07 AM
As much as I really am looking forward to seeing JUH in the first, I just think for what we've done thus far, and the competition we're trying to breed for spots, I can't see how we overlook Schache as English's replacement this week.
I know his numbers weren't spectacular last week for Footscray, but I really liked his energy, effort and hardness. Things in the past I've been critical about.
Coming off kicking 5 the week before, I think he's put his hand up and we need to reward that if we're to keep our VFL players keen.

Grantysghost
28-04-2021, 09:59 AM
I'm not as worried about Marra's perceived lack of fitness. He is a young tall (he's huge) and I'm not sure many come in with amazing endurance straight away.

I'm in the school of thought that he would certainly rise to the occasion and his form as a forward kicking 5 is merit enough.

Imagine Jamarra with our mids pumping it to him. Wowee. He'd grow an extra leg.

jeemak
28-04-2021, 10:27 PM
I'm not as worried about Marra's perceived lack of fitness. He is a young tall (he's huge) and I'm not sure many come in with amazing endurance straight away.

I'm in the school of thought that he would certainly rise to the occasion and his form as a forward kicking 5 is merit enough.

Imagine Jamarra with our mids pumping it to him. Wowee. He'd grow an extra leg.

I thought a lot of the big guys who are drafted these days have excellent tanks.......and that JUH was a bit more in the Buddy mould in that he was blessed with freakish burst speed and thus, more rare?

WBFC4FFC
28-04-2021, 10:42 PM
As much as I really am looking forward to seeing JUH in the first, I just think for what we've done thus far, and the competition we're trying to breed for spots, I can't see how we overlook Schache as English's replacement this week.
I know his numbers weren't spectacular last week for Footscray, but I really liked his energy, effort and hardness. Things in the past I've been critical about.
Coming off kicking 5 the week before, I think he's put his hand up and we need to reward that if we're to keep our VFL players keen.

Agree on Schache. Not sure a Sweet/Martin Ruck Combo will do much damage up forward like English or Schache, which is where they spend most of the game.

bulldogtragic
01-05-2021, 12:27 AM
If English needs another week... If the MC drop Schache... Pretty *!*!*!*!ing excited!!

Scraggers
01-05-2021, 12:28 AM
Schache will replace English I think. Good time to stick it to the Tigers who thought he was no good.

It seems Richmond were right

chef
01-05-2021, 12:43 PM
How does this fvxkwit have a job in the media
https://mobile.twitter.com/7AFL/status/1388060315561177090?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1388060315561177090%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

bulldogtragic
01-05-2021, 12:53 PM
How does this fvxkwit have a job in the media
https://mobile.twitter.com/7AFL/status/1388060315561177090?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1388060315561177090%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

I’ve got some advice for Tom. Accept that nobody likes you, no one respects you, no one cares what you say or think, or your made up ‘sources’, you are a running joke and a public service warning for why women shouldn’t smoke ice while pregnant. And if physically possible, please go f*ck yourself you dumb, weak, irrelevant, pissant motherf*cker.

Statement of Conflicts of Interest: Yes. I have always detested him.

Axe Man
04-05-2021, 06:49 PM
The real reasons No. 1 pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is yet to debut for the Western Bulldogs (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-real-reasons-no-1-pick-jamarra-uglehagan-is-yet-to-debut-for-the-western-bulldogs/news-story/22e2474b1055b1190d9a9c8e86975b19)

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan arrived at the Dogs with a healthy dose of confidence and plans to debut in Round 1. As his coach spars with reporters, it still hasn’t happened.

Watch every single one of Jamarra Ugle-Hagan’s VFL possessions and the highlights-reel stuff screams of Lance Franklin.

Gathering the ball tight on the boundary then spinning to hit up Cody Weightman with a darting kick of precision and poise.

Bounding onto a loose ball at half forward to sink onto his left foot before thumping the ball through from well outside the 50m arc.

As Luke Beveridge got into a testy argument with journalist Ronny Lerner on Friday night about his potential debut, it was clear the Dogs are sick of the relentless questions.

Why hasn’t he debuted yet?

Why wouldn’t the No. 1 pick be playing AFL seven rounds in?

The issue is watching every possession so far isn’t a marathon task.

Even after a loss Beveridge should know better – you get the No. 1 overall pick and you absolutely must answer a question on him every time you are in front of the cameras.

But the Dogs are entirely justified in making Ugle-Hagan work for his debut.

He isn’t playing yet because of form, because of the Dogs’ determination to knock off his rough edges, because of his fitness, his defensive attributes and because the bottom line is this.

The Dogs have three key forwards ahead of him, with Josh Schache’s modest display in place of Tim English surely drawing him closer to an AFL debut.

Ugle-Hagan is averaging just 10 possessions per VFL game and has taken only eight marks in his three contests, rated below average in the VFL.

From those 10 possessions he is averaging six score involvements, which is off-the-charts stuff.

But his five-goal game against GWS, his most encouraging performance to date, included a Joe-the-Goose he soccered through from point-blank range and a goalsquare collect and goal that fell in his lap.

None of it is to suggest he won’t be the player the Dogs hoped for, but Beveridge doesn’t have to get cranky about the Friday night emergency, he just has to keep stating the facts.

Against the Northern Bullants in a 10-touch, one-goal outing this weekend, the bloke coaching against him knew a bit about the expectation he faced.

Former No. 1 overall pick Josh Fraser played exactly 200 of his 218 games for Collingwood – including 21 in his first season – but believes Beveridge is setting up his pupil to succeed.

“We put Benny Silvagni on him at the weekend which shows the high level of respect for him already. Benny did a terrific job. I think what he is experiencing is some growing pains early on in his career but the luxury he has, which will be a real benefit to him, is he can have those pains at VFL level and not being thrust onto the AFL stage straight away,” he said.

“The way Luke is managing him is perfect for his career.

“He is extremely athletic, he is clean with the ball, and I am not completely across his leading patterns with what the Dogs want him to do, but he has the capacity to move up the ground and meet the footy and then work back to the goalsquare. Everyone gets excited about goals but I am sure the Dogs are working on all parts of his game.”

Beveridge was pointed on Friday night about that aspect of Ugle-Hagan’s defence, saying every player needed to buy into the off-ball set-up when they played for the Dogs.

Fraser seemingly hit the scene fully formed, an assured media performer and balanced individual who still admits there are times he regrets the No. 1 tag.

“Yeah, there were times, to be honest. I probably wish I had a slightly different introduction to the AFL and spent more time at VFL level. So I could develop other parts of my game, but I understand why I was given the opportunity as early as I was.

“To be brutally honest there are a lot of things I would have loved to have done differently in my career. There was a lot of pressure, no doubt about that. I couldn’t put my hand up and say I handled it all that well in different stages of my career.”

Ugle Hagan has spark and spunk and some football arrogance.

He has been in a relationship with Brendan Fevola’s daughter Mia for around 10 months, with the ex-Blues star firing back about trolls and critics of the relationship in March.

“He’s a great kid, she’s a great girl, she’s smart, she’s got her own business, she studies, she’s got a degree … she can do what she wants. It just pisses me off that people can write that and say vile things online about any girl, not just Mia.”

Ugle-Hagan strolled to the front of a nightclub queue over summer and was noted demanding entry with the famous old line but was quickly put back in his box.

There is no doubt he arrived with the heady confidence of junior stardom.

But Dogs insiders report he has not rocked the boat, has worked hard on his weaknesses, has never shirked an issue.

Skipper and former No. 4 draft pick Marcus Bontempelli said on Tuesday he chatted regularly to the first-year player about his status, aware it was “tough” on him given his determination to make an impact.

“He came in with a bit of a rush and wanted to display a bit of an influence early, but sometimes it just doesn’t go to plan,” he said.

“Sometimes they’re good lessons to learn early in your career because they do help you as you progress, going through those challenging experiences.

“There’s no doubt he’ll be better for it as a player.”

Ugle-Hagan just isn’t quite ready. And he is playing at the first club to take a No. 1 overall pick while in contention since Des Headland was taken by Brisbane in the 1998 national draft.

The Lions played finals in 1997, had a five-win stinker in 1998, took Headland and then marched to a preliminary final the next year as he played three games in his debut season.

So given the unique circumstances, Ugle-Hagan will bide his time until injury or form means Beveridge has to pick him.

Round 11 is part of the Sir Doug Nicholls Round, and the Dogs take on Melbourne on a Friday night in the battle of two emerging powerhouses.

The Dogs surely won’t parade him like fellow No. 1 pick Jack Watts on Queens Birthday.

And yet there would be no better stage if he is truly ready for a player with some of the skill and all the showmanship of Lance Franklin before him.

Grantysghost
04-05-2021, 06:55 PM
This is all the Crows fault. Horrible club.

Happy Days
04-05-2021, 08:02 PM
Actually what the hell is that article?

1eyedog
04-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Guaranteed in this week.

jeemak
04-05-2021, 08:43 PM

It was a strange read.

Go_Dogs
04-05-2021, 09:00 PM

Someone trying to get in with Bevo.

It went all over the place but wasn’t too far off the mark with some of it.

Axe Man
04-05-2021, 09:21 PM
Someone trying to get in with Bevo.

It went all over the place but wasn’t too far off the mark with some of it.

Jon Ralph

jeemak
06-05-2021, 03:38 AM
I'll just leave this here......Damo at his best.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/608024/why-tensions-are-high-on-rockstar-jamarra-tribunal-s-mixed-messages?videoId=608024&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1620186776001

Happy Days
06-05-2021, 08:51 AM
I'll just leave this here......Damo at his best.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/608024/why-tensions-are-high-on-rockstar-jamarra-tribunal-s-mixed-messages?videoId=608024&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1620186776001

Imagine another code posting a video on their official website doing a drive-by on an 18 year old yet to play a game because a coach decided not to answer a question at a press conference.

AshMac
06-05-2021, 09:03 AM
Imagine another code posting a video on their official website doing a drive-by on an 18 year old yet to play a game because a coach decided not to answer a question at a press conference.

This is the issue I have too - this content is created, endorsed and promoted by the league. It’s actually disgraceful.

The pot shots at Bevo as well are pathetic.

This is the first mention I’ve heard about JUH being frustrated at not being selected.

MrMahatma
06-05-2021, 09:16 AM
This is the issue I have too - this content is created, endorsed and promoted by the league. It’s actually disgraceful.

The pot shots at Bevo as well are pathetic.

This is the first mention I’ve heard about JUH being frustrated at not being selected.
Yeah, the comment about JUH being angry is interesting. But Damo is a sh1t stirrer so I wouldn’t believe it!

bornadog
06-05-2021, 10:16 AM

AFL are the disgrace in this for allowing it posted up on their website.

Axe Man
06-05-2021, 11:55 AM
WHY IT IS QUITE ALRIGHT TO BE PATIENT WITH UGLE-HAGAN (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/05/why-it-is-quite-alright-to-be-patient-with-ugle-hagan/)

There has been a great deal of talk surrounding reigning No.1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

Many people are wondering when we are going to see the talented young forward unleashed at AFL level, but the Western Bulldogs appear as though they are taking a patient approach.

And that’s the way it should be.

There is no rush to blood a youngster who has been described as a “generational talent” with “freakish ability”.

You just need to take a look at recent history to learn that giving games to developing forwards is not the be-all and end-all.

Since 2010, there have been three key forwards taken with the premium selection and for varying reasons, none of that trio remain in the AFL system.

Jon Patton retired recently after an injury-riddled career which ended following some off-field issues. He was held off until Round 12 of his debut year in 2012 before first injuring his knee the following season.

Paddy McCartin, who has been in the news for the wrong reasons this week, debuted in Round 3 of 2015. His AFL career with St Kilda was ended in 2018 because of concussions issues.

Tom Boyd stepped into the AFL in Round 5, 2014, but was done and dusted at the elite level in 2019 after battling depression.

It would be careless to throw all of them into the same category, but the fact of the matter is, big forwards need time and showing patience shouldn’t be seen as a negative.

Carlton has proved that patience is a virtue with Harry McKay. Taken with pick 10 in 2015, the now 23-year-old has gone past similar types from his draft class including Bulldog Josh Schache, Sam Weideman, Eric Hipwood and Harry Himmelberg.

He played just 15 games in his first three seasons, biding his time and building his game at the lower level.

Yes, he missed some time through injury but there is no denying that the Blues have treated him with kid gloves and are now reaping the rewards.

The spotlight is bright for a kid already likened to one of the game’s greatest ever in Lance Franklin. Those comparisons have been made before he’s even played a game of senior footy.

Now that is some hype to live up to. Patience please.

Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli, who has experienced a somewhat similar hype as a No.4 draft pick himself, is acutely aware that the career of a footballer does not have a clearly written blueprint to follow.

“I’m sure he wanted to come in and play straight away and have an impact, but sometimes your footy career is non-linear,” he told reporters of his teammate earlier this week.

“You have to take a different journey at times.

“I feel like he is (handling it fine), but he's probably like any athlete, he probably wants to be ahead of where they are and he's hungry to succeed.”

Ugle-Hagan has years ahead to succeed. He can hone his craft, learn from his more experienced teammates, get his running to AFL standard, and work his way into what is a fairly cut-throat and competitive environment.

The penny doesn’t always drop for young players immediately, but allowing them to find their feet can more often than not be beneficial.

“He came in with a bit of a rush and wanted to display a bit of an influence early but sometimes it just doesn't go to plan,” Bontempelli added.

“Sometimes they're good lessons to learn early in your career because they do help you as you progress, going through those challenging experiences.

“There's no doubt he'll be better for it as a player.”

The fleet-footed and athletic Ugle-Hagan, with his new-found ‘fame’ in tow, had reportedly enjoyed himself over summer where he supposedly attempted to skip queues at nightclubs, perhaps even wheeling out the old “do you know who I am?” line.

Garry Lyon and Tim Watson discussed that sort of behaviour, refraining to lambast a teenager for having a bit of fun.

“I do not know that to be true,” Melbourne champion Lyon said on SEN Breakfast.

“What I do know and what my experience tells me is that footy clubs are the best places that if there is a little bit of overconfidence, it gets fixed pretty quickly.

“Sometimes they (footy clubs) can be overly brutal but I guess in this new day and age people look at it and say you can’t be doing that. It’s held people in good stead for a long time.

“He’ll sort it out, he’s a smart kid, he’s a talented kid. Playing in the VFL he’s getting great experience.

“They’ve got a player on their hands and how good will it be when he does play.

“You’ve got to live your life. He’s 19 years old, you’ve got to get out there and get amongst it.

“That wouldn’t be held against you. This is not what he’s doing, but unless you’re out getting smashed every weekend then people might have something to say about it.”

Watson himself was strutting his stuff at the top level at the ripe old age of 15 so has walked a mile in these shoes before.

He is all for the softly, softly approach.

“Long-term, I think it’s the best thing for him,” the former Essendon captain said.

“He’s a prodigious talent. To earn his spot in that team, to understand all the components that need to come together for you to be an AFL player at a very strong club, I think it will serve him well long-term.

“Those guys that haven’t necessarily set the world on fire at VFL level, but when you put them up to the next level it’s like, ‘This is what I’ve been waiting for. Now I can explode. I’ll show you some of the things I can do’.”

Even if he is waiting in line for his turn at the Bulldogs, does it really matter?

He clearly has enough raw ability to be considered the best junior footballer in the country and if he is nurtured and developed in the right way, and allowed to grow into his new life, then it will all click one day.

The average career life span of an AFL player isn’t long so why try to push the envelope and rush somebody who the game can enjoy for years and years to come.

Ugle-Hagan finds himself at a strong club who just happen to be playing some pretty good footy in 2021 and there are more accomplished players ahead of him.

Luke Beveridge has been operating with three tall forwards - Aaron Naughton, Josh Bruce and Tim English (who also spends time in the ruck) - and it has worked a treat so far.

When that triumvirate was upset with English missing, the Dogs happened to lose. So there is a clear formula there and a 19-year-old trying to take everything in around him may not suit a strategy that is working.

So let him live and learn and enjoy himself.

As the Bont said, “he’ll be better for it”.

In recent years we’ve seen it blow up for people with similar profiles so experience tells us that maybe taking a more prudent pathway could pay off.

Why it might be tantalising to accelerate the process, there is absolutely no reason to hurry Jamarra.

macca
07-05-2021, 02:24 AM
The analogy I like to think is Josh Fraser . He played too many games too early and he looked worn out in his last year at the pies

We are nurturing and development UGH to his full potential . “It’s A Great time for him without the media scrutiny and pressures where he can make his mistakes and grow his game

I heard one of the podcast from Travis cloak he was mentally exhausted in his last year with the sport . We want UGH to play 300 games not 100 and burnout

Just look at what happens to jack watts at melbourne

Just the media and Barrett trying to stir news out of nothing

GVGjr
07-05-2021, 07:42 AM
The analogy I like to think is Josh Fraser . He played too many games too early and he looked worn out in his last year at the pies

We are nurturing and development UGH to his full potential . “It’s A Great time for him without the media scrutiny and pressures where he can make his mistakes and grow his game

I heard one of the podcast from Travis cloak he was mentally exhausted in his last year with the sport . We want UGH to play 300 games not 100 and burnout

Just look at what happens to jack watts at melbourne

Just the media and Barrett trying to stir news out of nothing

Fraser was a sensational junior but thrown into the ruck early in his career to his detriment. He lost a lot of development potential having to go against mature ruck man week after week instead of learning his craft slowly.

Sedat
07-05-2021, 12:49 PM
Fraser was a sensational junior but thrown into the ruck early in his career to his detriment. He lost a lot of development potential having to go against mature ruck man week after week instead of learning his craft slowly.
You don't need to look too far to see the value of an experienced ruckman sharing the load with a talented younger prospect ;)

bulldogtragic
09-05-2021, 04:06 PM
Jon Ralph: Jamarra concussed. 12 days of no footy from today.

comrade
09-05-2021, 04:13 PM
Jon Ralph: Jamarra concussed. 12 days of no footy from today.

Footscray has a bye next week anyway.

bulldogtragic
09-05-2021, 04:14 PM
Footscray has a bye next week anyway.

More, the media can leave the ‘when will he debut’ story for a few weeks. Silver lining.

Mofra
09-05-2021, 09:03 PM
More, the media can leave the ‘when will he debut’ story for a few weeks. Silver lining.
Assuming they read match reports.

I'm not sure I'll give them that much credit

Twodogs
10-05-2021, 11:38 AM
Assuming they read match reports.

I'm not sure I'll give them that much credit

Assuming they can read at all is more credit then I'm willing to give them.

Ghost Dog
10-05-2021, 03:30 PM
After the whole Tom Boyd thing I think with Jamarra, we need a media expert to help Luke tackle the pressure they will put on him in press conferences. He doesn't seem to be handling it well.
He can't solve things by cornering people in the toilets all the time. Sometimes, ok fine. ;)

bornadog
10-05-2021, 03:35 PM
After the whole Tom Boyd thing I think with Jamarra, we need a media expert to help Luke tackle the pressure they will put on him in press conferences. He doesn't seem to be handling it well.
He can't solve things by cornering people in the toilets all the time. Sometimes, ok fine. ;)

Damien hasn't learnt his lesson :D

Ghost Dog
10-05-2021, 04:05 PM
Damien hasn't learnt his lesson :D

How are you B.a.d?
They drag that out on the footy show from time to time as a joke.
Luke is probably lucky he didn't get dragged over the coals for that one.
He's such a great coach though, and great respect for Luke.

jeemak
10-05-2021, 04:06 PM
Assuming they can read at all is more credit then I'm willing to give them.

Ironing.

MrMahatma
10-05-2021, 04:08 PM

He just needs to stay “on message”.

We have a plan for Jamarra and he knows what is required from him before he’s selected. He’s going to be a great player for the club and we can’t wait for his time to come. It won’t be this week.”

Next.

The key thing is more for Bevo to accept he’ll keep getting the questions and that he’s also allowed to just repeat his answer every week.

Ghost Dog
10-05-2021, 04:10 PM
Yes, well there was the underlying frustration of the loss, which may have even been the main cause of his anger.
So, a system to deflect these types of inquiries and just keep level would be good. As you say MM.

comrade
10-05-2021, 04:20 PM
He just needs to stay “on message”.

We have a plan for Jamarra and he knows what is required from him before he’s selected. He’s going to be a great player for the club and we can’t wait for his time to come. It won’t be this week.”

Next.

The key thing is more for Bevo to accept he’ll keep getting the questions and that he’s also allowed to just repeat his answer every week.

He quipped that with Marra having a forced week off, he’ll miss the questions about when Marra is getting picked. Agree he just needs a rote response and move on to the next question.

bulldogtragic
10-05-2021, 04:41 PM
He quipped that with Marra having a forced week off, he’ll miss the questions about when Marra is getting picked. Agree he just needs a rote response and move on to the next question.

Sure Peter Gordon knows a bulldog supporting retired judge to head up an inquiry into when Jamarra debuts...

Bevo: “As this matter of Jamarra debuting is before judicial inquiry I’m unable to comment. I don’t want to prejudice the judge and it would be wrong to do so.”

bornadog
10-05-2021, 04:45 PM
Sure Peter Gordon knows a bulldog supporting retired judge to head up an inquiry into when Jamarra debuts...

Bevo: “As this matter of Jamarra debuting is before judicial inquiry I’m unable to comment. I don’t want to prejudice the judge and it would be wrong to do so.”

there are a few lawyers on the Board

bornadog
03-06-2021, 11:08 AM
Ugle-Hagan bides his time (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/950772/ugle-hagan-bides-his-time)

Western Bulldogs key forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan says he’ll remain patient as he continues to work towards an AFL debut.

Ugle-Hagan has missed the last three weeks of football – two of those as a result of the AFL’s concussion protocols, and a third when last weekend’s VFL round was abandoned because of Victoria’s latest coronavirus cluster.

Despite having to watch a number of players from the 2020 draft class debut at the senior level over the last month, the 19-year-old said he trusts the process and will work hard to earn his opportunity.

“It’s obviously tough (waiting), but we’ve got such a strong team,” Ugle-Hagan told Bob Murphy and Easton Wood on last week’s Barkly St podcast.

“Obviously I’m still a rookie, so I’m going to listen to what the professionals and the coach (says).

“Luke Beveridge knows what he’s doing, so I’m just going to let him do what he does, and I’ll sit by the sidelines until I’m ready.”

Raised in Framlingham, an Indigenous community about 25km north-east of Warnambool, Ugle-Hagan said receiving attention from some of the league’s most talented Indigenous players still comes as a shock to him.

“On draft night, I received a couple of messages even before the draft from Eddie Betts, Charlie Cameron and a couple of others,” he said.

“Even when you see them they’ll say congratulations and stuff so it’s like they know (you), and it’s crazy how they notice stuff.

“Even though you’re playing in the same league, you still feel special because last year I was just a kid watching the AFL, but now I’m in the league so it’s pretty exciting.”

AshMac
10-06-2021, 02:15 PM
Sam Edmund just reported on SEN - rival clubs circling Jamarra. Reporting discontent between him and club. Reports JUH willing to entertain talks

bulldogtragic
10-06-2021, 02:17 PM
Sam has nothing else better to say. Click bait at his finest. Bullshit at its purest. I don’t take any of this with any credibility.

Mantis
10-06-2021, 02:47 PM
Sam Edmund just reported on SEN - rival clubs circling Jamarra. Reporting discontent between him and club. Reports JUH willing to entertain talks

Always good getting back into the car to hear this tripe.

It's been a bit of a perfect storm for Jamarra thus far for reasons we all know so hopefully some understanding to the unique situation is being had.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-06-2021, 02:55 PM
Where there's smoke there's fire. It'll be what it'll be. I'm not at all for gifting players a game but some players do carry enormous egos and by all reports, Jamarra is one of them. We need to have a give and take approach with him.

The worst part of all this, if it's indeed true, is the failure to retain indigenous talent.

I know it's all rumour at this point, but usually when stuff like this gets raised in the media, there is an element of truth to it. Hopefully it's just something that's been blown out of proportion. Only time will tell. To be honest, it was only a matter of time until this got raised. Top pick -> not playing -> wants out. I don't think there's any reasonable substance to this yet, but we're all well aware of the Dunkley saga last year.

Topdog
10-06-2021, 03:03 PM
Where there's smoke there's fire. It'll be what it'll be. I'm not at all for gifting players a game but some players do carry enormous egos and by all reports, Jamarra is one of them. We need to have a give and take approach with him.

The worst part of all this, if it's indeed true, is the failure to retain indigenous talent.

I know it's all rumour at this point, but usually when stuff like this gets raised in the media, there is an element of truth to it. Hopefully it's just something that's been blown out of proportion. Only time will tell.

I have no idea if there is any truth to it but with Australian footy media the saying of "where there is smoke, there is fire" is absolutely not accurate.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-06-2021, 03:16 PM
I have no idea if there is any truth to it but with Australian footy media the saying of "where there is smoke, there is fire" is absolutely not accurate.

Well, there isn't necessarily any smoke yet ;)

AshMac
10-06-2021, 03:16 PM
For those interested, here is the link to the clip:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CP7EG3RB07e/?utm_medium=copy_link

Grantysghost
10-06-2021, 03:21 PM
All rubbish he will play a game and it will be gone.

jeemak
10-06-2021, 03:25 PM
What would you trade him for? Two single figure first rounders?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-06-2021, 03:28 PM
It's a hell of a pickle for the club. Normally number 1 picks are going to bottom rated teams, who are better placed to give games to their top picks early.
We're contending and not really in a position to play him if he's not earned his spot.
I can see how this could get sticky, as I presume Jamarra has a healthy ego and wants the stage now. But I equally support the match committee to continue to do what is right for our 2021 season.
Play him when they think he's earned it