PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Jamarra Ugle-Hagan to the Western Bulldogs

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
09-12-2020, 08:28 PM
Well Adelaide pulls the trigger and nominates Marra at number one.
We match it quickly and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is now officially a Western Bulldog

Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, you're the number one pick of the 2020 draft

josie
09-12-2020, 08:30 PM
Our marketing team will be licking their lips. Welcome Jamarra!! So excited to see you in RWB.

Mofra
09-12-2020, 08:31 PM
Incredible, he's just earned an extra $10k from NAB

comrade
09-12-2020, 08:33 PM
Boom! Welcome to the kennel, Marra.

GVGjr
09-12-2020, 08:33 PM
Incredible, he's just earned an extra $10k from NAB

I'm so surprised the Crows decided to do that but hey we have had it confirmed he's the number 1 player of the draft

The Underdog
09-12-2020, 08:34 PM
Seems a ripping kid. Great to have him.

Dancin' Douggy
09-12-2020, 08:35 PM
seems like a stupid thing to do by the crows. But I honestly couldn't give a .&^%$#@. So looking forward to watching Marra play.

The Underdog
09-12-2020, 08:36 PM
I'm so surprised the Crows decided to do that but hey we have had it confirmed he's the number 1 player of the draft

Takes the pressure & focus off Thilthorpe (and the decision to draft him)

Eastdog
09-12-2020, 08:37 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Jamarra! Hoping you have a fantastic long career with us.

bornadog
09-12-2020, 08:38 PM
Welcome aboard JUH, may you have a long career in the RWB.

The Doctor
09-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Absolutley freakin sensational. Go Jamarra Go Dogs

Eastdog
09-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Gee it is so great to get the number 1 pick without finishing on the bottom :D

Dry Rot
09-12-2020, 08:41 PM
Great news

What picks do we have left now?

The Underdog
09-12-2020, 08:44 PM
Great news

What picks do we have left now?

After everyone else basically. 60something and whatever is left

bornadog
09-12-2020, 08:45 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoyErFgVgAABjWM?format=jpg&name=medium

Twodogs
09-12-2020, 08:46 PM
Marra! Welcome to the club to the 14 second boy.

Great news. Play finals and get a generational talent #1 draft pick.

Tops off a pretty good month for the club. The only thing that can make it better is if we get Ewan (super) MacPherson as a F/A.

bornadog
09-12-2020, 08:48 PM
The only thing that can make it better is if we get Ewan (super) MacPherson as a F/A.

If no one picks him, we have told him he will be rookied.

bornadog
09-12-2020, 09:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoyNfpSVQAAoW_A?format=jpg&name=small

Dancin' Douggy
09-12-2020, 09:15 PM
How awesome. Just before they scrap the whole system, we sneak in Jamarra. How often are we on the right, or lucky side of things. It all changed in 2016.

bornadog
09-12-2020, 09:20 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoyK7C0UUAMSa9A?format=jpg&name=large

KT31
09-12-2020, 09:25 PM
Great stuff, welcome aboard young man and may you enjoy long and illustrious career in the red,white and blue.
PS: Condolences on being the 2021 Rising Star runner-up.:D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Thank you Crows.
As much as I'd love to have kept a pick or two in the 3rd round, I'm psyched we've got the best player in the draft and he seems the type to relish and not get overwhelmed with the hype.

Think Adelaide have missed a trick, and not convinced Thilthorpe or Pedlar are the best use of their first two picks. Wonder how their fans are feeling?

ratsmac
09-12-2020, 09:45 PM
Thank you crows for confirming that you didn't get the best player available in the draft!! Smart marketing? We positioned ourselves well for this and boom we have the lime light.

Welcome JUH, so happy to have you onboard!!

Grantysghost
09-12-2020, 09:55 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/W1TMkGry/20201209-205302.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Bulldog Revolution
09-12-2020, 10:31 PM
Very exciting for the club - prospects don’t come too much more exciting than Marra

WBFC4FFC
09-12-2020, 10:37 PM
Marra! Welcome to the club to the 14 second boy.

Great news. Play finals and get a generational talent #1 draft pick.

Tops off a pretty good month for the club. The only thing that can make it better is if we get Ewan (super) MacPherson as a F/A.

Replacing Mercedes Benz as a Sponsor would help too.

Twodogs
09-12-2020, 10:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoyK7C0UUAMSa9A?format=jpg&name=large

That's something that we are going to come to love seeing over the next decade. Bazlenka to Marra!!!!!

Eastdog
09-12-2020, 10:40 PM
I’m keen to get back to going to the footy next year! A real exciting year ahead. Cmon Dogs!

merantau
09-12-2020, 10:56 PM
This is just the best news. Plus having Hannan back where he belongs means the signs are very good. I see Hannan as a excellent replacement for Dickson. He is a smart footballer who knows how to kick a goal.

bulldogtragic
09-12-2020, 11:07 PM
Time to give him that 5 year extension to his FA window. I'm nervous already. He's possibly the safest ever bet we've had at the draft.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-12-2020, 11:15 PM
Awesome.

Let's milk every ounce of publicity and $$ out of this!

Welcome Marra!

Ghost Dog
10-12-2020, 12:59 AM
Joins a long list of great footy players from West Victoria. Jono Brown, Liam Picken, Adam Goodes, Roughy, and others. Welcome to the club Jamarra.

jeemak
10-12-2020, 01:16 AM
It's sinking in a bit now, actually knowing this kid is ours is the business.

He moves so well, can't wait to see him in action. The Buddy comparisons would be fair, if Buddy could mark overhead! :)

bulldogtragic
10-12-2020, 01:23 AM
It’s probably not in his highlights, but watching his games last year he not only loves to tackles, he’s good a good technique and he loves to hurt anyone silly enough to be holding a ball within his closing speed. This will hopefully add to holding the ball forward more often and/or pressure to force turnovers. That’s also something I assume we are still missing that is a great ‘bonus’ to everything else he offers.

jeemak
10-12-2020, 01:29 AM
It’s probably not in his highlights, but watching his games last year he not only loves to tackles, he’s good a good technique and he loves to hurt anyone silly enough to be holding a ball within his closing speed. This will hopefully add to holding the ball forward more often and/or pressure to force turnovers. That’s also something I assume we are still missing that is a great ‘bonus’ to everything else he offers.

Our two best pressure forwards could be two of our three tallest forwards, given defenders fill their pantaloons any time Naughton is roaming and in a bit of a mood.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2020, 01:34 AM
I was staggered to learn Jamarra is only the second ever indigenous Number 1. I thought there was more than just Des Headland, without thinking too much about it. Breaking down another barrier tonight as the first indigenous player to go at Pick 1 in 22 years, on top of second only ever. I’m glad our club is one of just 2 clubs to ever do it.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2020, 01:37 AM
Our two best pressure forwards could be two of our three tallest forwards, given defenders fill their pantaloons any time Naughton is roaming and in a bit of a mood.

Yep. Hopefully Weightman & Vandermeer (both sub 3 seconds over 20m) can start to fill out a more aggressive pressure forward group up front.

jeemak
10-12-2020, 01:42 AM
Yep. Hopefully Weightman & Vandermeer (both sub 3 seconds over 20m) can start to fill out a more aggressive pressure forward group up front.

Yeah, Vander putting pressure on the outlet in particular - as I think our defence really breaks down on that second line when teams are moving it out of our forward line. I like him playing high and running at the defenders, occasionally burning into space to get ahead of the footy for a score.

Go_Dogs
10-12-2020, 08:20 AM
seems like a stupid thing to do by the crows. But I honestly couldn't give a .&^%$#@. So looking forward to watching Marra play.

Heard the Crows will flick him $10k under the table. Plays like Tippett. Gets paid like Tippett.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Some good interviews up on our website.

Seems like a really good character and infectious. Can't wait to see his development!

bulldogsthru&thru
10-12-2020, 04:12 PM
Some good interviews up on our website.

Seems like a really good character and infectious. Can't wait to see his development!

The interview on afl.com.au he gave a fair old clip to Paddy McCartin! It was completely inadvertent and unintentional. But he was responding to a question on whether there was added pressure being the number 1 pick. He said it's just a number and part of his response was that his coach asked him who was drafted no 1 6 years ago. He said he didn't know, hence why it doesn't really matter where you get drafted. Well he picked a convenient year to not remember! Poor old Paddy!

bulldogtragic
10-12-2020, 04:29 PM
The interview on afl.com.au he gave a fair old clip to Paddy McCartin! It was completely inadvertent and unintentional. But he was responding to a question on whether there was added pressure being the number 1 pick. He said it's just a number and part of his response was that his coach asked him who was drafted no 1 6 years ago. He said he didn't know, hence why it doesn't really matter where you get drafted. Well he picked a convenient year to not remember! Poor old Paddy!

I was doing the math in my head making sure it wasn't Tom Boyd he was referencing.

merantau
10-12-2020, 05:34 PM
I heard Jamarra on ABC early morning radio with Sammy J. Relaxed, articulate, natural, unaffected. Just ticks all the boxes

Ghost Dog
11-12-2020, 01:06 AM
It's sinking in a bit now, actually knowing this kid is ours is the business.

He moves so well, can't wait to see him in action. The Buddy comparisons would be fair, if Buddy could mark overhead! :)

2016 - thankfully Franklin likes to go for a second touch and Dale Morris knew it. I love watching Buddy play.

jeemak
11-12-2020, 01:29 AM
2016 - thankfully Franklin likes to go for a second touch and Dale Morris knew it. I love watching Buddy play.

The 2008 qualifying final was peak Buddy, pity it was against us. As for the 2016 GF, it was a shame Buddy was hampered a bit but in the last he seemed to be moving OK after the jabs to his ankle set in however, while I think we still would have beaten anyone that day it would have been good for him to have a bit more of an impact on the game.

AshMac
11-12-2020, 09:11 AM
Not sure if this has been shared - Adelaides behind the scenes war room on draft prep. Interesting commentary on the decision to select Jamarra:

https://twitter.com/Adelaide_FC/status/1336973934701522945?s=08

Grantysghost
11-12-2020, 09:45 AM
Not sure if this has been shared - Adelaides behind the scenes war room on draft prep. Interesting commentary on the decision to select Jamarra:

Cut.

OK guys the spin is done let's talk reality :cool:

Bryce Gibbs.. How do we get him back in....

I accidentally read the comments.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-12-2020, 09:56 AM

And this is what annoys me, the decision to bid on JUH wasn't about nabbing him, but tactically screwing us and our remaining picks. The intent of introducing bidding was to ensure clubs didnt just get top flight talent tied to them through F/S or NGA for peanuts, not to
use as a tactic to increase your club's leverage later in the draft.
They said in the meeting they rated Thilthorpe as number 1. Good, pick him at 1 then. To do otherwise is manifestly tampering.
Anyway, stuff them. I hope JUH posterises their defenders for years to come.

Grantysghost
11-12-2020, 10:02 AM
And this is what annoys me, the decision to bid on JUH wasn't about nabbing him, but tactically screwing us and our remaining picks. The intent of introducing bidding was to ensure clubs didnt just get top flight talent tied to them through F/S or NGA for peanuts, not to
They said in the meeting they rated Thilthorpe as number 1. Good, pick him at 1 then. To do otherwise is manifestly tampering.

I just saw it as cleverly edited spin for their fans tbh.
Did we ever intend to get Rowe? I don't recall his name being mentioned but I've got a bad memory.

It's certainly competitive behaviour.

They're going so insular it could back fire. A team of South Australians exclusively.

comrade
11-12-2020, 10:13 AM

We got access to the best talent in the land and used picks in the 30s and 40s to get him. It's an absolute rort that we thankfully benefited from. I don't begrudge any side from tactically bidding to increase their own position throughout the draft order.

soupman
11-12-2020, 10:24 AM
Yeah heaps of clubs can rightfully get annoyed about the NGA system but literally none of the clubs that received a player through it have been hard done by at all.

Good on Adelaide for keeping us accountable. We still made out like bandits.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-12-2020, 10:36 AM
Yeah heaps of clubs can rightfully get annoyed about the NGA system but literally none of the clubs that received a player through it have been hard done by at all.

Good on Adelaide for keeping us accountable. We still made out like bandits.

I was confident Adelaide would do this weeks ago, when it was clear they were going to finish last. I'm not bemoaning we were ripped off either. I'm just highlighting an unintended consequence of the bidding process between its intent and its application. Their bid wasn't about making us accountable, it was about leveraging the outcome of a bid they knew we would match, for a result that had nothing to do with their desire to take JUH at pick 1.
Yep good on them, smart tactical move, but again like most AFL rules they end up having outcomes that don't match the intent.

Good on our recruiting team in making sure we had enough draft capital to secure him taking into account a potential pick 1 bid.

Axe Man
11-12-2020, 10:38 AM
I just saw it as cleverly edited spin for their fans tbh.
Did we ever intend to get Rowe? I don't recall his name being mentioned but I've got a bad memory.

It's certainly competitive behaviour.

They're going so insular it could back fire. A team of South Australians exclusively.

We were linked to Rowe in at least 1 phantom draft.

comrade
11-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Even with a bid at pick 2 or 3, it would have brought us up to a pick in the mid-late 40s. Rowe was picked at 38.

Impossible to know who or what we would have done later in the draft, so this is also probably some cope from Adelaide to justify to their fans why they bid.

Grantysghost
11-12-2020, 10:47 AM
We were linked to Rowe in at least 1 phantom draft.

Right. So the plan might have been to bundle up some picks and move up to a spot before the Crows if true. It's a fascinating process the current draft. I quite enjoy all the machinations.

Axe Man
11-12-2020, 10:49 AM
Even with a bid at pick 2 or 3, it would have brought us up to a pick in the mid-late 40s. Rowe was picked at 38.

Impossible to know who or what we would have done later in the draft, so this is also probably some cope from Adelaide to justify to their fans why they bid.

Right. So the plan might have been to bundle up some picks and move up to a spot before the Crows if true. It's a fascinating process the current draft. I quite enjoy all the machinations.

As Granty says the Crows mention in the video that we may have been able to bundle a couple of picks to jump ahead of them and grab Rowe. So many mind games and trying to predict what other teams may do. Must be a stressful process.

comrade
11-12-2020, 11:18 AM
I'm rapt they did bid at 1. Front page of the HUN, on all the primetime radio shows, TV interviews. Our sponsors are front and centre. Our commercial staff will be loving it.

Bulldog4life
11-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Takes the pressure & focus off Thilthorpe (and the decision to draft him)

Will he will always remembered as the one who wasn't the first choice of the Cows.

Bulldog4life
11-12-2020, 11:46 AM
Thank you crows for confirming that you didn't get the best player available in the draft!! Smart marketing? We positioned ourselves well for this and boom we have the lime light.

Welcome JUH, so happy to have you onboard!!

Yes. Was worth the extra points we had to pay.

Bulldog4life
11-12-2020, 11:47 AM
Replacing Mercedes Benz as a Sponsor would help too.

Might be Peter's last hoorah.

bornadog
11-12-2020, 11:49 AM
I'm rapt they did bid at 1. Front page of the HUN, on all the primetime radio shows, TV interviews. Our sponsors are front and centre. Our commercial staff will be loving it.

Went to a Christmas function last night and lots of people came up to me (non bulldogs) wanting to talk about JUH.

Also the first indigenous boy to be number one since Des Headland in 1998. I think it is fantastic.

Bulldog4life
11-12-2020, 11:50 AM

Yes I love it when Naughty prowls that forward line. Poor kid has had rotten luck through injury.

bornadog
11-12-2020, 02:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zl6cBshbHM&ab_channel=AFL

Grantysghost
11-12-2020, 03:16 PM

They've been reasonable overall I think. They could've been much more vocal in opposition to this instead they've used the process to push their case a bit and make us pay legitimately.
It was their first ever pick 1, and we got it with a heap of round 2 and 3 picks. I certainly would be a little salty if it was us, the top pick is supposed to be for the worst team.
Shame it's the Crows hey ;)

comrade
11-12-2020, 03:28 PM
They've been reasonable overall I think. They could've been much more vocal in opposition to this instead they've used the process to push their case a bit and make us pay legitimately.
It was their first ever pick 1, and we got it with a heap of round 2 and 3 picks. I certainly would be a little salty if it was us, the top pick is supposed to be for the worst team.
Shame it's the Crows hey ;)

Yeah, NGA is a rot, no arguments from me.

But there have been years where the most talented kids didn't even hit the draft and were squirreled away for the expansion teams (Jack Martin, Jeremy Cameron etc as examples).

Grantysghost
11-12-2020, 03:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zl6cBshbHM&ab_channel=AFL

Brilliant thanks BAD. I'm loving the exposure we as fans are getting to Indigenous culture through Jamarra.

Twodogs
11-12-2020, 04:07 PM

What was the point of Ruccitio being there? I don't think that he understood what was happening.

EasternWest
11-12-2020, 04:15 PM
The 2008 qualifying final was peak Buddy, pity it was against us. As for the 2016 GF, it was a shame Buddy was hampered a bit but in the last he seemed to be moving OK after the jabs to his ankle set in however, while I think we still would have beaten anyone that day it would have been good for him to have a bit more of an impact on the game.

A perfectly safe thing to say after the fact :)

Twodogs
11-12-2020, 07:46 PM
A perfectly safe thing to say after the fact :)

Yep. I don't remember sitting in my seat in 2008 thinking "geez how lucky am I to be seeing this live? I'll be telling the grandkids all about tonight"

AshMac
11-12-2020, 08:32 PM
What was the point of Ruccitio being there? I don't think that he understood what was happening.

Was thinking the same thing. I made the awful mistake of reading the comments full of happy crows fans who feel they are ‘on track’ again

Bulldog Joe
11-12-2020, 09:50 PM
Brilliant thanks BAD. I'm loving the exposure we as fans are getting to Indigenous culture through Jamarra.

Really impressed by the advice from Headland.

It goes quick, make the most of it.

Twodogs
11-12-2020, 09:52 PM
Was thinking the same thing. I made the awful mistake of reading the comments full of happy crows fans who feel they are ‘on track’ again

Did they happen to say where they were on track to?

comrade
14-12-2020, 01:07 PM
It begins...

https://i.ibb.co/Y0PwCh3/1607907199358.png (https://ibb.co/RjYdFc9)

1eyedog
14-12-2020, 08:23 PM
Get im on the bench press

Rocket Science
15-12-2020, 07:02 PM
Hearing Marra speak, not sure I've seen a calmer, more at-ease new draftee.

Get a game first and all that but I for one welcome our club's first Indigenous captain from 2025 onwards.

divvydan
15-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Not meant to be a comparison but from listening to him over the past couple of weeks he's got a bit of that country demeanor, which reminds me a little of Jonathon Brown. Confident, a little laid back but very quick witted and always happy to get a word or a joke in.

1eyedog
15-12-2020, 11:31 PM
Not meant to be a comparison but from listening to him over the past couple of weeks he's got a bit of that country demeanor, which reminds me a little of Jonathon Brown. Confident, a little laid back but very quick witted and always happy to get a word or a joke in.

Come from the same part of the country as well.

josie
16-12-2020, 03:15 PM
Went to WO to pickup my cheer squad cardboard cutout. Had a quick look at oval. A few spectators watching the team train from Barkers. I think Martin & Treloar were just finishing laps and rest of team were grabbing drinks from cart. All eyes on Jamarra of course. Geez he looks impressive & so at ease. Boys were backslapping Treloar - looks like they’ve really welcomed him.

Scraggers
30-09-2021, 05:06 PM
Reportedly broken up with Mia Fevola. On Mia’s Insta

SquirrelGrip
30-09-2021, 05:36 PM

Yes, great news. Time to focus on footy!

bulldogtragic
30-09-2021, 06:12 PM

So he’s not living at the Fevola’s anymore?

MrMahatma
30-09-2021, 06:20 PM
Yes, great news. Time to focus on footy!

Not sure you can say his relationship took his focus away from footy. It prob made him wanna be an influencer a bit… but the lack of footy in 2 years due to COVID is what has hurt him and other young players. Hopefully there’s more VFL next year.

soupman
30-09-2021, 06:25 PM
Yeah I'm not huge on the whole "if it's not football related it's a distraction" thing. Very unconvinced that any of us are qualifed to say whether or not his relationships have had a positive, negative or any role on his development.

boydogs
30-09-2021, 08:30 PM
Yeah I'm not huge on the whole "if it's not football related it's a distraction" thing. Very unconvinced that any of us are qualifed to say whether or not his relationships have had a positive, negative or any role on his development.

Everyone needs balance in their life regardless of occupation. Playing video games or reading books are much more tame than clubbing though

Twodogs
30-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Kids have broken up before and managed to get over it. I'm sure that Marra and Mia will be fine.

I'm just spewing that the couple names Jammarmia or Miarra aren't going to be used.

angelopetraglia
30-09-2021, 08:55 PM
I’m guess here. But my gut feel being out of the “Fevola bubble” is a good thing for him.

LostDog
01-10-2021, 03:31 PM
God I hope we don't have a repeat of Dan Rioli, the Mia Fevola curse could be the same as a kardashian

Mofra
01-10-2021, 03:39 PM
God I hope we don't have a repeat of Dan Rioli, the Mia Fevola curse could be the same as a karashian
3 x premiership player.
I'm cool with that

LostDog
01-10-2021, 04:28 PM
3 x premiership player.
I'm cool with that

No real impact and now a fringe

BornInDroopSt'54
07-10-2021, 04:59 PM
Hopefully the VFL operates in 2022 to blood Marra and Darcy.

Bulldog4life
09-10-2021, 04:29 PM
Hopefully the VFL operates in 2022 to blood Marra and Darcy.

I think Marra will play more AFL. 2021 he was blooded.

1eyedog
13-10-2021, 12:17 PM
I think Marra will play more AFL. 2021 he was blooded.

Yeah I expect Marra to be ready to go Round 1 after another preseason.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-10-2021, 04:29 PM
Well thats a shizenhausen blooding. I hope Darcy gets a better one.

bornadog
13-10-2021, 05:09 PM
Well thats a shizenhausen blooding. I hope Darcy gets a better one.

Darcy - With limited games as a 17/18 year old he will have to bide his time and get fit for AFL footy. I almost don't expect he plays till maybe the second half of the year, if at all.

Grantysghost
13-10-2021, 05:13 PM
Darcy - With limited games as a 17/18 year old he will have to bide his time and get fit for AFL footy. I almost don't expect he plays till maybe the second half of the year, if at all.

He's a few years away for sure. Maybe a few games in 22 and then more consistent stuff in 23/24.

Makes you realise how amazing Jackson is when this is his second season.

GVGjr
13-10-2021, 05:31 PM

I'd say 2022 is a full development year for him. He's played about 10 game in two years and needs a lot of training and coaching.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-10-2021, 06:26 PM
I'd say 2022 is a full development year for him. He's played about 10 game in two years and needs a lot of training and coaching.

Does having a former AFL ruckman as a dad give him any advantage?

GVGjr
13-10-2021, 07:11 PM
Does having a former AFL ruckman as a dad give him any advantage?

Sure, but playing footy in a competition is the way to develop his skills.
Luke was an accurate kick so lets hope Sam has that skill nailed.

jeemak
13-10-2021, 07:27 PM
I reckon we'll see him holding down a key defencive post by the start of 2023 if he can build his tank up quickly.

Grantysghost
13-10-2021, 07:44 PM
I reckon we'll see him holding down a key defencive post by the start of 2023 if he can build his tank up quickly.

I'm a little worried about the price here. I mean, I loved Tim Walsh don't get me wrong.

Yep wrong thread again.

Meant Darcy.

How about those Foo Fighters.

jeemak
13-10-2021, 07:45 PM
I'm a little worried about the price here. I mean, I loved Tim Walsh don't get me wrong.

Yep wrong thread again.

Meant Darcy.

How about those Foo Fighters.

Would you have taken one of the King brothers if they were available?

Looking at it a different way, is he worth a pick in the high teens? Because that's what we're getting him for plus a few draft picks that are essentially speculative in a year where a massive chunk of the talent hasn't been on show.

Grantysghost
13-10-2021, 07:49 PM
Would you have taken one of the King brothers if they were available?

Yes. Is he at that level? It's hard to tell with the lack of competition.

jeemak
13-10-2021, 07:51 PM
Yes. Is he at that level? It's hard to tell with the lack of competition.

Sorry, I edited my post above.

He could be at their level, he might not be. The price is somewhat distorted by the system.

Grantysghost
13-10-2021, 07:53 PM
Sorry, I edited my post above.

He could be at their level, he might not be. The price is somewhat distorted by the system.

That's it we are kind of in a weird situation. Great side, that has the amazing ability to get two top 5 talents in successive years.

I love it.

I just have this nagging flip side about does this somehow hurt us if they're duds.

But that's the game for all picks - I'm just being anxious.

azabob
13-10-2021, 10:10 PM
That's it we are kind of in a weird situation. Great side, that has the amazing ability to get two top 5 talents in successive years.

I love it.

I just have this nagging flip side about does this somehow hurt us if they're duds.

It’s a genuine concern. Ayce Cordy also was the messiah but that never happened .

bulldogsthru&thru
13-10-2021, 10:16 PM
I have concerns about JUH but it’s too early to tell. Especially given the impact of covid. I’ve got huge question marks over his competitiveness and physicality. He’s got talent no doubt but we all know at AFL level you need a lot more than that.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-10-2021, 10:19 PM
We’ve been fortunate enough to have rights to two top talents in successive years. But at the same time it’s come at an unfortunate time given none could show their stuff at u18 level. So a big gamble. But we had to take both. As nearly every pick is a gamble anyway due to covid.

FrediKanoute
14-10-2021, 05:04 AM
It’s a genuine concern. Ayce Cordy also was the messiah but that never happened .

We freaked on Ayce. The Saints went early on him and we should have let him go. Would have been a lot of angst and aggro from the supporter base, but he wasn't top 20 and we knew it.

1eyedog
14-10-2021, 08:48 AM

I love it.

Darcy is going top 5 in pretty much everyone's phantom draft. It is what it is.

1eyedog
14-10-2021, 08:56 AM
I have concerns about JUH but it’s too early to tell. Especially given the impact of covid. I’ve got huge question marks over his competitiveness and physicality. He’s got talent no doubt but we all know at AFL level you need a lot more than that.

He's not a Naughton type defensive player that attacks the man he skirts the outside and looks for opportunities to break play. When I've watched him at Footscray his intent early is always very good and he works hard to chase. Later in the game this drops off as he tires.

I personally don't have any concerns about his defensive mindset.

Mantis
14-10-2021, 12:05 PM
We freaked on Ayce. The Saints went early on him and we should have let him go. Would have been a lot of angst and aggro from the supporter base, but he wasn't top 20 and we knew it.

We fully expected Ayce to be our first selection at that draft and planned for that to be the case.

Mantis
22-10-2021, 05:36 PM
Pop quiz:

What would we prefer to see on Marra's insta account?

1/ Loved up pics with Mia

2/ Boxing training with the Bont

GVGjr
22-10-2021, 05:38 PM
Pop quiz:

Bont always :)

Scraggers
22-10-2021, 07:11 PM
Pop quiz:

Lock in (B) Eddie ;)

kruder
22-10-2021, 07:11 PM
I can't wait for the flying preseason article on Marra its coming...

Twodogs
23-10-2021, 08:36 PM
I can't wait for the flying preseason article on Marra its coming...

Borderline flying at least.

1eyedog
24-10-2021, 12:19 PM
Pop quiz:

What do you mean by loved up and where is the loved up pics with Bont option?

comrade
24-10-2021, 01:02 PM
Marra and Naughts going down the Dunks/Treloar path this pre-season. You love to see it.

GVGjr
24-10-2021, 01:22 PM
Marra and Naughts going down the Dunks/Treloar path this pre-season. You love to see it.

Our player really do seem to enjoy the company of their team mates.

Hotdog60
24-10-2021, 02:54 PM
2020'S DRAFTEES RE-RANKED: Who bolts up the order, who slides?
Some players from the 2020 draft class shone this season, but others took a while to get going.

Link here (https://www.afl.com.au/news/685507/2020-s-draftees-re-ranked-who-bolts-up-the-order-who-slides-)

31. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Pick No.1, Western Bulldogs), 18.7 Rating Points, av 3.7ppg

Does that mean if JUH decided to move to another club our return would be a second round.
I would like to see this at the end of next year and hopefully JUH has a full pre season and a full year of football.

bornadog
24-10-2021, 03:30 PM
Some players from the 2020 draft class shone this season, but others took a while to get going.

Link here (https://www.afl.com.au/news/685507/2020-s-draftees-re-ranked-who-bolts-up-the-order-who-slides-)

31. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Pick No.1, Western Bulldogs), 18.7 Rating Points, av 3.7ppg

Does that mean if JUH decided to move to another club our return would be a second round.
I would like to see this at the end of next year and hopefully JUH has a full pre season and a full year of football.

It is actually a crap article. You can't re rank players after one season. Let's see in 5 years time where they all sit.

Bulldog Joe
24-10-2021, 06:46 PM
It is actually a crap article. You can't re rank players after one season. Let's see in 5 years time where they all sit.

It doesn't even qualify as that.

Simply it is the AFL Ratings applied to 2020 draftees as a rating per game. It has no value in assessing progress at this point.

None of the players have achieved a rating that would have them set up as stars of the game.

angelopetraglia
24-10-2021, 11:05 PM
It looks like Marra and Bont have been hanging out during the off season (as highlighted across both Bont's and Marra's socials). This has to be a very good thing.

Doc26
25-10-2021, 12:32 AM

No doubt the same ranking system that had Lewis Taylor ahead of Marcus after year 1.

Bulldog Joe
25-10-2021, 07:43 AM
No doubt the same ranking system that had Lewis Taylor ahead of Marcus after year 1.

I know your not being serious, but the one that had Lewis Taylor ahead was a direct influence on the voting integrity of the judging panel.

Justin Leppitsch as Brisbane coach campaigned strongly for Taylor as a point of recognition when Brisbane had been struggling to retain players. There may have also been a suggestion that a member of the voting panel was seduced by the betting odds.

GVGjr
25-10-2021, 09:13 AM
I know your not being serious, but the one that had Lewis Taylor ahead was a direct influence on the voting integrity of the judging panel.

Justin Leppitsch as Brisbane coach campaigned strongly for Taylor as a point of recognition when Brisbane had been struggling to retain players. There may have also been a suggestion that a member of the voting panel was seduced by the betting odds.

In the voting KB also selected Taylor over Bont. I guess everyone is capable of a brain fade.
Anyway that's all water under the bridge and we all know Bont is star player.

soupman
25-10-2021, 11:10 AM

That is the laziest article i have seen written in a long time, and it has been a dire two years for journalism.

Surely after ranking them by the AFL player ratings you take one look and go, "nah this is a shit idea".

GVGjr
25-10-2021, 11:25 AM
That is the laziest article i have seen written in a long time, and it has been a dire two years for journalism.

Surely after ranking them by the AFL player ratings you take one look and go, "nah this is a shit idea".

It is a very small sample size to make the call and will change a fair bit over the next 2 or 3 years.
The real question is that given what we have seen so far in one season are there any howlers that went in the first round and the answer is still not clear.

The Underdog
25-10-2021, 11:56 AM

You underestimate the need for content in a quiet time for AFL. Quantity over quality every damn time.

Grantysghost
25-10-2021, 12:08 PM

Spot on - you just need to run your eyes over that list once to realise it makes absolutely no sense to use that data to rank the players at this point.

Complete click bait rubbish, and I feel stupider for having read it ! :cool:

Hotdog60
25-10-2021, 03:02 PM
Spot on - you just need to run your eyes over that list once to realise it makes absolutely no sense to use that data to rank the players at this point.

Complete click bait rubbish, and I feel stupider for having read it ! :cool:

ahhhh, got ya! :D

1eyedog
28-10-2021, 10:59 AM

Sure you can. You just have to understand it in the context of one person's opinion regarding who had the best first year post being drafted. That's all it is.

Bulldog Joe
28-10-2021, 02:52 PM
Sure you can. You just have to understand it in the context of one person's opinion regarding who had the best first year post being drafted. That's all it is.

Sorry to disagree as it is not anyone's opinion.

This is actually AFL player ratings and then putting an order based on the average rating per game.

It is certainly an odd interpretation of player ranking considering that it relates to so few games and even as few as a single game for some.

1eyedog
29-10-2021, 12:14 PM
Sorry to disagree as it is not anyone's opinion.

This is actually AFL player ratings and then putting an order based on the average rating per game.

It is certainly an odd interpretation of player ranking considering that it relates to so few games and even as few as a single game for some.

So it's a ratings based system of who had the best year immediately after being drafted rather than an individual's opinion. Thanks for clarifying without looking too deeply into it I assumed it was an individual journo's opinion. Well, at least it's measurable somehow i suppose.

Vred
29-10-2021, 04:01 PM
How many games do we expect JUH to play next season? I'm expecting him in as the third tall behind Naughton and English, at least until Bruce is back.

hujsh
29-10-2021, 04:52 PM
How many games do we expect JUH to play next season? I'm expecting him in as the third tall behind Naughton and English, at least until Bruce is back.

It's hard to deny that he looked good last year in patches, better than Weightman his first year. There's a position open in the forward line and he's doing what looks like really good work in his own time with Bont and the like.

I could see him being best 22 by year end if not from round one.

Maybe that's too high an expectation being that he's a young tall but... he just looked good. While I wouldn't bet on it I wouldn't be super surprised if he kicked 25 goals. I would be very happy though

Vred
29-10-2021, 05:35 PM
It's hard to deny that he looked good last year in patches, better than Weightman his first year. There's a position open in the forward line and he's doing what looks like really good work in his own time with Bont and the like.

I could see him being best 22 by year end if not from round one.

Maybe that's too high an expectation being that he's a young tall but... he just looked good. While I wouldn't bet on it I wouldn't be super surprised if he kicked 25 goals. I would be very happy though

Yeah, I'm hoping big offseason and he plays pretty much every game possible next year until Bruce is back in full swing, although I don't expect Bruce to really play at all next season, big guy will take extra time to recover from an ACL.

Every game possible + about 30 goals would be a great second year for him.

Go_Dogs
29-10-2021, 07:08 PM
I think he’ll play most games.

Can’t wait to see him in full flight. Going to be a BIG problem.

GVGjr
29-10-2021, 07:34 PM

It could be as few as 8 but up to 18. He Schache and Hannan might battle for spots

boydogs
30-10-2021, 01:42 AM
I thought Jamarra developed really quickly once he was selected after not really earning his spot or getting the chance to. He has lots of tricks to get involved and score, I can see him playing 18+ games and kicking 30+ goals

GVGjr
30-10-2021, 08:38 AM
I thought Jamarra developed really quickly once he was selected after not really earning his spot or getting the chance to. He has lots of tricks to get involved and score, I can see him playing 18+ games and kicking 30+ goals

Once he gets fit enough he will be a handful for opposition clubs.

Bulldog Joe
30-10-2021, 09:09 AM
So it's a ratings based system of who had the best year immediately after being drafted rather than an individual's opinion. Thanks for clarifying without looking too deeply into it I assumed it was an individual journo's opinion. Well, at least it's measurable somehow i suppose.

It is not even that. It is simply an average rating per game. One of the players rated played 1 solitary game early in the year and didn't reappear. Wouldn't be hard to believe Jamarra had a better year than that.

The Adelaide Connection
30-10-2021, 12:15 PM
I hope they are renegotiating his contract extension now. Get him signed while the ground is lowest. If he explodes this year Before he re-signs it will likely cost us one of our “gun” players.

I was pretty worried that he would head straight to Essington at first opportunity, especially with our continued failure to bring in more indigenous players. It’s been pretty relieving seeing all of the post season snaps/videos coming out. He’s clearly bonding strongly with a number of players.

jazzadogs
31-10-2021, 01:16 AM
I hope they are renegotiating his contract extension now. Get him signed while the ground is lowest. If he explodes this year Before he re-signs it will likely cost us one of our “gun” players.

I was pretty worried that he would head straight to Essington at first opportunity, especially with our continued failure to bring in more indigenous players. It’s been pretty relieving seeing all of the post season snaps/videos coming out. He’s clearly bonding strongly with a number of players.

A number of key players. Happy for him and Naughty to build a bromance to rival Dunkloar. With Bont watching over them.

The thought of a Naughton/JUH/Weightman forward line gives me shivers.

Axe Man
01-11-2021, 10:16 AM

He's already contracted for another 3 years. He would be crazy to sign on any longer. He would be backing himself to boost his worth over the next couple of seasons.

azabob
01-11-2021, 10:33 AM
He's already contracted for another 3 years. He would be crazy to sign on any longer. He would be backing himself to boost his worth over the next couple of seasons.

You are a good man Axe.

bornadog
29-11-2021, 02:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JULGuUAQxt8

bornadog
30-11-2021, 06:39 PM
Ugle-Hagan: I want to be better (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1035055/ugle-hagan-i-want-to-be-better)

Western Bulldogs forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan says he wants to cement a senior spot in attack next year.

After arriving at the Kennel with the first pick in the 2020 national draft, Ugle-Hagan spent the majority of his first year in the VFL before breaking through for a senior debut in round 17.

The 19-year-old has spent a lot of time with captain Marcus Bontempelli to better himself this off-season.

“At the end of the day, it’s who works the hardest and who did the work before you even walk in for the season,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“Obviously that’s why I’m working with Marcus. Last year I wasn’t happy with my performance throughout the whole season, and I know I can do better.

“You don’t see him as ‘The Bont’ – you see him as your best mate, your older brother. He just pushes me so much.”

Ugle-Hagan, who started his second AFL preseason on Monday morning, said he couldn’t believe how quick his debut season went.

“It goes quick – all the boys were telling me that, and I said ‘no it doesn’t’, but then next minute I’m already in my second year,” he said.

“I’m just enjoying the moment and not taking anything for granted.”

Ugle-Hagan and the rest of the 1-4 year Bulldogs - plus a handful of senior players - commenced preseason training on Monday, with the full squad to return next week.

MrMahatma
30-11-2021, 11:38 PM
Nice! Got her em Jamarra!

KT31
01-12-2021, 11:56 AM
Nice! Got her em Jamarra!
Big Night on the Kingfisher's Mahatma ?:)

Mofra
01-12-2021, 12:00 PM
It does feel like the penny has dropped and he's going to play a lot of football in 2022.
He already demonstrated that innate ability to lose his opponent a few times, something which will be very useful in the zoning era.

MrMahatma
02-12-2021, 07:43 PM
Big Night on the Kingfisher's Mahatma ?:)

Haha! Go get em! I believe that’s what my fat fingers were trying to say!

Dry Rot
02-12-2021, 10:41 PM
So what are reasonable expectations for JUH in 2022?

Number of games? Number of goals? Non stats stuff such as defensive pressure?

soupman
02-12-2021, 10:59 PM
So what are reasonable expectations for JUH in 2022?

Number of games? Number of goals? Non stats stuff such as defensive pressure?

I think I'd expect him to have done enough to be considered best 22 in 2023. Basically to have had a good enough season that he is best 22, but allowing for the likelihood that he might find it tough to play a full season at that level.

So expecting 12+ games, I guess a goal a game, and it's really about him showing that he has the tricks to to set him apart from the pack (generating marks on leads, any special thing she can with ball in hand etc.) while also being able to play a team role (pressure and positioning as we require).

Go_Dogs
04-12-2021, 09:47 AM
I think he’ll play 18+ and kick about 30 goals.

He’s going to pop a few times, can’t wait.

kruder
04-12-2021, 10:47 AM
We are so lucky to have the Bont what a leader he is.

Good to see Marra working hard and enjoying himself the results will come in time.

Grantysghost
04-12-2021, 11:37 AM
It does feel like the penny has dropped and he's going to play a lot of football in 2022.
He already demonstrated that innate ability to lose his opponent a few times, something which will be very useful in the zoning era.

He was training with Marcus from very early on.

Twodogs
04-12-2021, 08:31 PM

Yep I agree. A couple of bags of 5 or 6 and a couple of quiet games but he'll be consistently kicking 3 in most games by year's end for a total of 30-35 goals I reckon.

Testekill
04-12-2021, 09:59 PM

I'm leaning 15 games about 30 odd goals. Couple of big games, couple of quiet ones but he has the ability to be good for two goals a game once he has an AFL standard tank.

Mofra
06-12-2021, 10:02 AM
I'm leaning 15 games about 30 odd goals. Couple of big games, couple of quiet ones but he has the ability to be good for two goals a game once he has an AFL standard tank.
In the modern era, 2 goals per game is outstanding

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2021&rt=LA&st=GO

Naughts managed 1.88 goals per game.

I think if he just plays and earn his spot for more than a dozen games that's a win. He's had a couple of development years either wiped out or interrupted

bornadog
01-04-2022, 10:41 AM
You know what? The kid’s tough’: AFL world’s big praise for rising star — and his defining moment (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/afl-2022-jamarra-ugle-reactions-social-media-response-western-bulldogs-defeat-sydney-swans-latest-team-news/news-story/12fbaace757824a408f0cdbb39374722)

Praise has been heaped on Western Bulldogs’ former Pick 1 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan after the club’s win over the Sydney Swans on Thursday night.

Although the emerging forward’s stat line of one goal from seven disposals appears underwhelming, his pressure and team-first attitude stood out.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s First Crack, triple-premiership winning Cat Cameron Mooney lauded Ugle-Hagan’s hard approach to the contest.

“I had a little bit of a question mark over his toughness, because he is just a kid and still learning how to play the game, but this is what I love to see,” he said.

Mooney pointed to a play late in the game when Ugle-Hagan put a body on Dane Rampe, opening up the forward 50 to help set up Marcus Bontempelli’s match-sealing goal.

“Just look at the way this young bloke pushes back hard against one of the best defenders in the competition. He doesn’t get a stat for this, he gets nothing for it, but he gets them the game-winning goal,” he said.

“Tonight he did a couple of examples where I thought, ‘You know what? The kid’s tough’.”

Saints great Nick Dal Santo revealed that Ugle-Hagan’s selfless late-game play was the first thing Josh Dunkley mentioned to him post-match.

“For them to identify it out there, we always hear about how you‘ve just got to play your role and compete, that’s what it looks like,” he said.

“That is the cornerstone of any key forward‘s game. That was exceptional.”

Former Hawks sharpshooter Ben Dixon added: “And one of the body contact defenders is Dane Rampe.”

After being taken with Pick 1 in the 2020 draft, Ugle-Hagan naturally went into his rookie season with plenty of hype, but only appeared in five games in the Bulldogs’ grand final campaign.

The 19-year 0ld figured to have a key role to play in 2022 — particularly with Josh Bruce rehabbing from an ACL injury — but Ugle-Hagan was the medical sub in the Bulldogs’ Round 1 loss to Melbourne before returning last week.

The youngster told Channel 7 post match he’d ‘worked heaps’ on his ground-level contest with Bontempelli over the off-season in a bid to round out his game.

Ugle-Hagan’s selfless attitude didn’t go unnoticed by other Fox Footy pundits too.

“I thought he worked hard,” North Melbourne legend David King highlighted.

“I mean, seven disposals, 1.2, if you just looked at the stats you‘d say it’s not really contributing too much, but there were a couple (of) efforts without the football, and in the end, these were the moments that probably won them the game.

“It‘s not a massive play, it’s not bone-shattering by any stretch, but it just shows the team. It’s an investment in winning. I thought they took some steps tonight.”

Four-time premiership Hawk Jordan Lewis added: “If you look at the stat sheet, he won’t show up with huge numbers. But just times when he needed to compete, he competed, when the ball was there as a 50-50 opportunity.”

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2022, 11:22 AM
Marra could not have done much more in his first two outings of 2022 - he's moving really well and his pressure has been fantastic. He mowed down a few opponents last night and put them under genuine pressure with his leg speed.

If he kicks straight and finishes with 3 goals, it's a pretty big game. I'm not too concerned with skill errors because that'll come, but his willingness to compete and his positioning/footy IQ have really stood out to me over the last two weeks.

Pretty exciting stuff.

Mantis
01-04-2022, 11:40 AM
Good call TBB.

All you want from a young player coming in who obviously has talent is the willingness to compete.. and Marra is doing everything he can in that regard.

You can see that he just doesn't have the miles in the legs yet as the fatigue sets in quickly, but his ability to stay involved in the game even without a big possession count is exciting.

It's going to be a very dangerous forward-line when he matures a little with Aaron, Cody and maybe Sam close by.

Testekill
01-04-2022, 12:14 PM
Marra should take the full 30 seconds when going for a set shot at the moment, he's just got heavy legs since he's still working on his aerobic capacity.

hujsh
01-04-2022, 12:28 PM
Marra should take the full 30 seconds when going for a set shot at the moment, he's just got heavy legs since he's still working on his aerobic capacity.

Noticeable with the snap that he could have taken more time to steady himself. The composure should hopefully come with more experience.

Mofra
01-04-2022, 01:11 PM
He just needs to play.
In time, he and Naughton will stop flying for the same mark and be able top separate a bit better. It's not something that can be replicated at training, it will only happen as they gain match time together.

I know the article highlighted the contest late with Rampe, but there was a down-the-line kick earlier that quarter that ended up a two on one and he killed it over the boundary. He wouldn't have done that last year.

Twodogs
01-04-2022, 01:35 PM
He just needs to play.
In time, he and Naughton will stop flying for the same mark and be able top separate a bit better. It's not something that can be replicated at training, it will only happen as they gain match time together.

I know the article highlighted the contest late with Rampe, but there was a down-the-line kick earlier that quarter that ended up a two on one and he killed it over the boundary. He wouldn't have done that last year.

In the forward pocket? He thumped it about 20 metres over the boundary instead of trying to take the mark (which is obviously what the two Sydney defenders were expecting him to do). It was exactly the right thing to do in that situation.

azabob
01-04-2022, 01:51 PM
In the forward pocket? He thumped it about 20 metres over the boundary instead of trying to take the mark (which is obviously what the two Sydney defenders were expecting him to do). It was exactly the right thing to do in that situation.

I think he was going to mark it but the sydney player in front fell down so JUH lost his balance and had no choice but to spoil!

Twodogs
01-04-2022, 01:59 PM
I think he was going to mark it but the sydney player in front fell down so JUH lost his balance and had no choice but to spoil!

Ah yep. It was up the other end of the ground from us so it was a bit hard to tell what happened in the lead up. I just had a quick look at the replay on the screen in front of us.

Mofra
01-04-2022, 02:12 PM
Not that one - there was another closer to the opposite wing/flank

In round 2 there were a few contests he didn't compete in the air. Round 3 was a big improvement.

Hotdog60
01-04-2022, 09:40 PM
He also managed to get out on his own a couple of times and got ignored.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 09:43 PM
He also managed to get out on his own a couple of times and got ignored.

There was one where he was sitting 20 metres out on the angle and Hunter just ignored him

BornInDroopSt'54
02-04-2022, 01:42 AM
It is good we eased Jamarra back and he had inspiration and focus during preseason.

bornadog
04-04-2022, 04:54 PM
'I've done the work': Marra's main focus after Bont-inspired summer (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1094988/-i-ve-done-the-work-marra-s-main-focus-after-bont-inspired-summer)

JAMARRA Ugle-Hagan has been looking back on his junior form as he finds more and more confidence at the top level with the Western Bulldogs.

The young Bulldogs forward, who turned 20 on Monday, had seven disposals and kicked the opening goal in the club's tight win over Sydney last week but his performance was made up of a number of other moments that saw him impact.

He was involved in a tough one-on-one collision with Swans midfielder Ollie Florent when the ball was up for grabs and later in the game hunted down some opponents with repeat efforts that influenced the contest.

The No.1 pick at the 2020 NAB AFL Draft trained extensively with Dogs skipper Marcus Bontempelli over his off-season after playing five games in his debut campaign last year and says with every game he is feeling more comfortable.

"Back when I was younger playing footy I felt like the big dog out on the field but I've got to keep bringing that back and enjoy my footy. The game will come back to me and it's been great to just compete, which is my main focus, and halve every contest at least or win them," Ugle-Hagan told AFL.com.au.

"I've done the work and worked pretty hard to be in the position I am now thanks to Marcus, but it's been great to get the reward because I've been trying to do everything right but I'm glad it's coming now a little bit."

Ugle-Hagan's athleticism and attack on the ball were key components of his game as a draftee and he said playing in the Bulldogs' forward line had given him easy access to a model of how to bring out those traits.

"I just watch Aaron Naughton do it and he doesn't hesitate, he just goes and marks that ball," Ugle-Hagan said. "It was a great experience to be out there and 1-2 sounds so much better than 0-3. It's great to be in the forward line and the energy is unbelievable."

Coach Luke Beveridge has been open in discussing the need to get games experience into Ugle-Hagan and was pleased with the young forward's development against the Swans.

"You look at his direct involvements and you say how did he go? He played a really important role for us. I thought the McCartin brothers were really good for Sydney – they intercepted and played critical roles on our key forwards but the great thing about 'Marra' and 'Naughts' was they just fought their backsides off for the team," Beveridge said after the game.

"They had their looks. We need to capitalise more on these set shots but it was encouraging [from Ugle-Hagan] and important for the future but important for the now that we get a really solid contribution from him. I thought he really gave that."

jeemak
05-04-2022, 03:55 PM
Buckle up, this is going to be awesome.

Hotdog60
16-05-2022, 09:55 PM
From one No.1 pick to another: McCartin's advice for young Dog

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2022/05/16/fe404165-3325-4074-a5f2-6713995e6771/raOeNrDF.jpg?width=952&height=592

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has found support from inside a rival football club, with Sydney recruit Paddy McCartin helping him handle the immense pressure of the No.1 pick tag.

Not many current players truly understand the added burden that comes with not only being the first player taken in the NAB AFL Draft, but a key forward taken with that prized pick.

McCartin fits the bill. Before the 25-year-old reignited his career at the SCG, McCartin lived and breathed what Ugle-Hagan is going through now during his time at St Kilda, where he played 35 games amid eight different concussions, which eventually ended his time at the club.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2022/01/31/3bab68a2-22a9-44b3-8843-0672bc69a9e2/JLT02WBSt19SB766776810.JPG?width=1064&height=600

Ugle-Hagan has played 11 games since arriving at the Whitten Oval at the end of 2020 but is yet to grasp his chance in Luke Beveridge's side, despite the absence of star key forward Josh Bruce, who is edging closer to a return from a knee reconstruction.

The 20-year-old played the first six games of the season before being sent back to Footscray and has had every performance of his career to date forensically examined.

Speaking at the launch of Sir Doug Nicholls Round on Monday, Ugle-Hagan revealed McCartin reached out after they faced each other in round three and has been a sounding board for the young spearhead, building a connection through mutual friend Bruce, who has also been a constant source of support.

“Paddy McCartin actually reached out to me after the Sydney game and he’s just looked after me, just little messages saying that he’s there for me and to message me if you ever need,” Ugle-Hagan told reporters on Monday.

“It's a challenging role to accept but it’s great to know that someone else on another football team understands my position and understands what we go through, which is massive pressure but we just feed off that and obviously it’s going to make us better footballers.

"He just said reach out and ask for help if I have any questions about how I'm going. After the Sydney game he messaged me, which was unbelievable because I found he was a great bloke on the field, gave me a couple of confidence messages when I was out there.”

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2022/03/31/40c98c29-c616-4d3b-8857-fc939be417ef/W7l7vwbj.jpg?width=708&height=1062

Ugle-Hagan admits the weight of expectation is challenging to handle at times, but he is committed to improving his craft and proving to the doubters that he was a worthy No. 1 pick.

"It’s a massive challenge because it’s going to affect my game here and there because obviously they come at me knowing who I am and what I do, but I wear it as a pride thing. It will make me a better footballer," he said.

"It (the pressure) does get to you a bit here and there. But when I’m on the footy field I just forget. I try to just feed off it to improve my game.

"My nan always tells me, ‘You’re only 20’. But with the patience, that’s probably the hardest bit to accept that I’m not there yet. But I’m coming. It will come."

Ugle-Hagan has to be patient, even if football fans don't want to wait for him to develop.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2022/04/23/3f922f09-eff3-4fb1-9666-09bb2cc76ab5/dImZui8y.jpg?width=1064&height=600

Riley Thilthorpe (pick No.2) and Logan McDonald (No.4) play the same position, were taken shortly after the young Dog and are both yet to set the world on fire this year. Thilthorpe has only managed one senior game in 2022, while McDonald has kicked four goals in six games – the same as Ugle-Hagan – and been dropped twice.

With Buku Khamis kicking three goals against Collingwood last Friday night, Ugle-Hagan might have to bide his time at Footsray for a bit longer, building form alongside last year's pick No. 2 Sam Darcy, who played his first game after overcoming a stress fracture in his foot.

"It was good to see him out here. He looks comfortable and its only up from here," he said.

"It was obviously a frustrating game in the VFL, but he played down at centre-half back a little bit, then he came down forward with me which was a lot easier, but it didn’t come down, which was hard."

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/news/762895/from-one-no-1-pick-to-another-mccartin-s-advice-for-young-dog)

jazzadogs
16-05-2022, 10:24 PM
"Riley Thilthorpe (pick No.2) and Logan McDonald (No.4) play the same position, were taken shortly after the young Dog and are both yet to set the world on fire this year. Thilthorpe has only managed one senior game in 2022, while McDonald has kicked four goals in six games – the same as Ugle-Hagan – and been dropped twice."

I think that's some important context for us all to remember. Jamarra is not alone in struggling to find his place in the AFL.

Grantysghost
16-05-2022, 10:26 PM
"Riley Thilthorpe (pick No.2) and Logan McDonald (No.4) play the same position, were taken shortly after the young Dog and are both yet to set the world on fire this year. Thilthorpe has only managed one senior game in 2022, while McDonald has kicked four goals in six games – the same as Ugle-Hagan – and been dropped twice."

I think that's some important context for us all to remember. Jamarra is not alone in struggling to find his place in the AFL.

Wise words JD, and they had senior footy under their belt in their u/18 yr.

GVGjr
16-05-2022, 10:45 PM

And we need to acknowledge that both Thilthorpe and McDonald didn't have Covid interruptions prior to being drafted.
We just need to wait for Jumarra to catch up in his development.

bornadog
16-05-2022, 11:21 PM
JUH will be right. He is tall and will take longer to mature, but people seem to forget that, especially when yoiu have freaks like Naughton whose body was more mature at the same age.

jeemak
17-05-2022, 01:11 AM
JUH will be right. He is tall and will take longer to mature, but people seem to forget that, especially when yoiu have freaks like Naughton whose body was more mature at the same age.

It's also a mindset thing with Naughton, he's a preying animal in the air and on the ground and not many of his ilk are like that.

comrade
17-05-2022, 09:51 AM
He showed in patches in that Sydney game that he is capable when the work rate is there. Need to see more of it and results will come.

A change of role at Footscray is worth considering, for sure.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2022, 12:08 PM

Exactly.

I have no issues with Marra's development at the moment, I expect a spike in performance probably next year.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2022, 10:26 AM
Too tall, agile to not have an impact. Injury free will have a great career. Also a wonderful kick of the footy.

bornadog
18-05-2022, 02:26 PM
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan in Framlingham earlier this year on how special it was to have his teammates and football staff in Gunditjmara Country.

https://youtu.be/oPaqpJXafGM

BornInDroopSt'54
22-05-2022, 05:50 PM
Chris Johnson just named his indigenous team '22 with Jamarra Ugle-Hagan at CHF in a brilliant forward line.
Jamarra is a similar size to Kelvin Templeton when he started, even bigger. Kelvin strengthened his frame and took off.
Jamarra will get bigger without losing pace.

bornadog
21-04-2023, 05:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpox8O2BNZ0

hujsh
21-04-2023, 06:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpox8O2BNZ0

This video is private. BAD just wants to tease us.

The Underdog
21-04-2023, 06:43 PM

Intriguing

bornadog
21-04-2023, 08:26 PM

Sorry I was worried copying it might trigger copyright by Ch7. I can change it? Can you view it?

hujsh
21-04-2023, 09:28 PM
Sorry I was worried copying it might trigger copyright by Ch7. I can change it? Can you view it?

Nah can't see anything. Link takes me to a private video if I try that too.

bornadog
21-04-2023, 09:47 PM
Nah can't see anything. Link takes me to a private video if I try that too.

Changed to Public now.

bornadog
01-07-2023, 11:41 PM
Great game from the youngster

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fz7ZCifaMAMbzep?format=jpg&name=medium

kruder
01-07-2023, 11:59 PM
This Kid..... Love how he has developed was a little concerned about his attitude after the first season but he hasn't put a foot wrong since.

Keep smiling Marra, enjoy yourself, work your ass off and the AFL world is your oyster.

MrMahatma
02-07-2023, 01:18 AM
Becoming a very good forward. His hands are strong and he leads well. Undoubtedly puts the work in off the field.

We’re lucky to have him. He’s lucky to be with us. It’s a match made in heaven.

Bulldog4life
02-07-2023, 12:44 PM
This Kid..... Love how he has developed was a little concerned about his attitude after the first season but he hasn't put a foot wrong since.

Keep smiling Marra, enjoy yourself, work your ass off and the AFL world is your oyster.

Huge congratulations to Bevo's initial coaching of Marra. It has worked wonders.

Go_Dogs
02-07-2023, 09:24 PM
He’s growing into a star.

Dancin' Douggy
02-07-2023, 09:35 PM
Normal people can't do that. That mark is a work of genius.
Great game from the youngster

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fz7ZCifaMAMbzep?format=jpg&name=medium

jeemak
02-07-2023, 10:02 PM
Huge congratulations to Bevo's initial coaching of Marra. It has worked wonders.

Nah, that was just lucky from Bevo. He's not allowed to receive any credit for anything anymore, just a smack for the bad stuff.

I'm a bit tired of the media narrative about Jamarra finally coming good and showing his potential. He's still a kid, and is exceeding expectations.

D Mitchell
02-07-2023, 10:11 PM
Ugle-Hagan averages a touch over 1 goal a game. His 4 goal effort against Freo gives him a breather. This bloke has all the talent in the world but ignores the basics, chase, tackle, give off, most important KICK SRAIGHT. r

Grantysghost
02-07-2023, 10:27 PM
Nah, that was just lucky from Bevo. He's not allowed to receive any credit for anything anymore, just a smack for the bad stuff.

I'm a bit tired of the media narrative about Jamarra finally coming good and showing his potential. He's still a kid, and is exceeding expectations.

Exactly it's not like Riley Tilthorpe is setting the world on fire and he actually was recruited to a shit team.
I mean he's a fine player with loads of potential however I don't think he's any more advanced than Marra.
Mcdonald is probably an ok comparison however he was advanced having played wafl whereas Marra was in lockdown.

GVGjr
02-07-2023, 10:27 PM

Many in the media don't make allowances for the impact of Covid on the draftees over the last few years. Missing football prior to be drafted isn't a great start and you are coming from a long way back.

Dancin' Douggy
03-07-2023, 09:02 PM
10 coaches votes. I repeat. TEN COACHES VOTES. And no rising start nomination.

Has that ever happened to an eligible player before???

bulldogtragic
03-07-2023, 09:09 PM

Ummm…..

angelopetraglia
03-07-2023, 09:11 PM

You have to have played less than 10 games prior to the start of the season to be eligible. He was nominated last year in Round 19.

Dancin' Douggy
03-07-2023, 09:12 PM
You have to have played less than 10 games prior to the start of the season to be eligible.

so he's not eligible then?

angelopetraglia
03-07-2023, 09:13 PM

He had played 22 games prior to the season commencing. So he isn't eligible.

bulldogtragic
03-07-2023, 09:14 PM

Not close. He got one last year if that’s any consolation.

Dancin' Douggy
03-07-2023, 09:17 PM
well now I feel like a complete idiot. BUT. What a game. He is gonna be a huge star.
Thanks for being gentle with a damn old fool who don't know nuthin' 'bout 'nuthin.

bulldogtragic
03-07-2023, 09:19 PM
well now I feel like a complete idiot. BUT. What a game. He is gonna be a huge star.

I posted in another thread his season to date stat records.

Being, career bests:

Goal Assists (twice)
Score involvements
Marks I50
Inside 50’s
Behinds (twice)
Kicks (twice)
Handballs (twice)
Disposals
Marks
Time on Ground
AFL Fantasy Points

Equals career bests:

Goals
Contested marks
Contested possessions
Uncontested possessions (equal four times)
Effective disposals
Intercepts

That’s 24 career best and/or equal career best records in 15 games.

EasternWest
03-07-2023, 09:29 PM
Thanks for being gentle with a damn old fool who don't know nuthin' 'bout 'nuthin.

That's our secret, DD. None of us know nuthin' about nuthin'.

ledge
03-07-2023, 09:31 PM
Many in the media don't make allowances for the impact of Covid on the draftees over the last few years. Missing football prior to be drafted isn't a great start and you are coming from a long way back.

This was huge he couldn’t even play VFL that year as it was shut down, how does he improve or get experience not playing games ? The media are a disgrace in the way they treated him the first two years . Side note he was a number 1 puck coming into a top 8 team . Not like he was going to a bottom side where you would get selected straight away .

macca
03-07-2023, 10:59 PM

I hope we can find some emerging talent in the 19-22 year old age bracket , as they would have missed a lot of development due to covid

There has been a few with success emerge:
Cincotta
Camentti

They are always good stories to read.

jeemak
03-07-2023, 11:49 PM

I liked your passion.

jeemak
03-07-2023, 11:50 PM
This was huge he couldn’t even play VFL that year as it was shut down, how does he improve or get experience not playing games ? The media are a disgrace in the way they treated him the first two years . Side note he was a number 1 puck coming into a top 8 team . Not like he was going to a bottom side where you would get selected straight away .

The media were barracking for him to seek out a trade........

Danny the snakeman
04-07-2023, 02:21 AM
The media were barracking for him to seek out a trade........

Don't speak too soon.

Go_Dogs
04-07-2023, 09:57 AM
Ugle-Hagan averages a touch over 1 goal a game. His 4 goal effort against Freo gives him a breather. This bloke has all the talent in the world but ignores the basics, chase, tackle, give off, most important KICK SRAIGHT. r

I think his off ball work has improved significantly, and he?s normally a neat user (a few recent examples standout where he missed an open Lobb etc) who puts the ball to a team mates advantage. Can?t agree with your assessment on this one.

Goal kicking needs work. Yes.

MrMahatma
04-07-2023, 02:35 PM
He's showing great signs and playing some really good footy. His hands are amazing and his ability to run has improved out of sight since his first season. He still will have a number of years of physical development left in his body. He's going to be a star.

bornadog
04-07-2023, 02:39 PM
Bontempelli challenges emerging star to produce 'more and better' (https://www.afl.com.au/news/962743/bontempelli-challenges-emerging-star-to-produce-more-and-better-)

NOW THAT Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has proven his abilities, Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli wants "more and better" from the star forward.

Ugle-Hagan will be a vital key in Friday night's blockbuster against top side Collingwood at Marvel Stadium.

It will be a stern test of the Bulldogs' bona fides, with wins over North Melbourne and Fremantle leaving them well-placed in sixth spot with a 9-6 record.

Ugle-Hagan shone against the Dockers with four goals with the 2020 No.1 draft pick continuing to flourish in his career.

Bontempelli, who has been something of a mentor to the 21-year-old, said Ugle-Hagan had shown the influence he can have on a game.

"He's already shown he has match-winning abilities. He's helped us win a couple of games in the past and this one (against Fremantle) was obviously quite significant," Bontempelli said.

"He's just worked so much harder on his forward craft, his fitness, how he can help the team - regardless of whether he's kicking goals or not.

"The next thing now is once you realise your capacity and what you can do, how do you keep repeating that and keep searching for more and better?"

Emerging Bulldog Jamarra Ugle-Hagan takes a strong speccy and converts the resulting set shot

Criticism has emerged surrounding Rory Lobb's form, but Bontempelli said the Fremantle recruit had also helped Ugle-Hagan in their attack.

"Him being there has allowed someone like Jamarra to ... flourish as well," Bontempelli said.

"Between him and Aaron (Naughton), they're taking away pretty big targets from Jamarra at different points, which has really allowed him to expose a third tall (defender).

"He (Lobb) is definitely contributing and we're still definitely happy with how he's performing."

ledge
04-07-2023, 02:57 PM
Bontempelli challenges emerging star to produce 'more and better' (https://www.afl.com.au/news/962743/bontempelli-challenges-emerging-star-to-produce-more-and-better-)

NOW THAT Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has proven his abilities, Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli wants "more and better" from the star forward.

Ugle-Hagan will be a vital key in Friday night's blockbuster against top side Collingwood at Marvel Stadium.

It will be a stern test of the Bulldogs' bona fides, with wins over North Melbourne and Fremantle leaving them well-placed in sixth spot with a 9-6 record.

Ugle-Hagan shone against the Dockers with four goals with the 2020 No.1 draft pick continuing to flourish in his career.

Bontempelli, who has been something of a mentor to the 21-year-old, said Ugle-Hagan had shown the influence he can have on a game.

"He's already shown he has match-winning abilities. He's helped us win a couple of games in the past and this one (against Fremantle) was obviously quite significant," Bontempelli said.

"He's just worked so much harder on his forward craft, his fitness, how he can help the team - regardless of whether he's kicking goals or not.

"The next thing now is once you realise your capacity and what you can do, how do you keep repeating that and keep searching for more and better?"

Emerging Bulldog Jamarra Ugle-Hagan takes a strong speccy and converts the resulting set shot

Criticism has emerged surrounding Rory Lobb's form, but Bontempelli said the Fremantle recruit had also helped Ugle-Hagan in their attack.

"Him being there has allowed someone like Jamarra to ... flourish as well," Bontempelli said.

"Between him and Aaron (Naughton), they're taking away pretty big targets from Jamarra at different points, which has really allowed him to expose a third tall (defender).

"He (Lobb) is definitely contributing and we're still definitely happy with how he's performing."

This is how I have seen it all year. We change our focal forward each week to best beat the opposition, last week it was Jamarra the week before it was Weightman , a few times it has been Naughton . Lobb has a great tank and takes a high mark he will take the best back away from the other forwards, he doesn’t have to even get a kick to do his job. He is also giving English some freedom of rucking.
Will he be the major forward in a game ? I’m not sure and why would he be if it’s going to drag a tall backman into our forward line.
He kicks a goal a game it’s a bit of a bonus. He even tackled a guy the other week to get a shot on goal . Sadly a lot of supporters and media go on stats which aren’t a true reflection and can be extremely wrong.

macca
04-07-2023, 03:07 PM
This is how I have seen it all year. We change our focal forward each week to best beat the opposition, last week it was Jamarra the week before it was Weightman , a few times it has been Naughton . Lobb has a great tank and takes a high mark he will take the best back away from the other forwards, he doesn’t have to even get a kick to do his job. He is also giving English some freedom of rucking.
Will he be the major forward in a game ? I’m not sure and why would he be if it’s going to drag a tall backman into our forward line.
He kicks a goal a game it’s a bit of a bonus. He even tackled a guy the other week to get a shot on goal . Sadly a lot of supporters and media go on stats which aren’t a true reflection and can be extremely wrong.

@ledge great point, these are the 1% , no stats that can record the type of influence Lobb has on the games.

Without Lobb, JUH may have to get 2nd best defender and not so much freedom.
Now Lobb is out of fwd 50 and roaming the wing, maybe it creates more space for JUH .

I guess you can only see how the player's running patterns converge with ball movement in the game. Its hard on TV to see it all , and the commentary is just getting rubbish now.

Mofra
04-07-2023, 03:42 PM
@ledge great point, these are the 1% , no stats that can record the type of influence Lobb has on the games.

Without Lobb, JUH may have to get 2nd best defender and not so much freedom.
Now Lobb is out of fwd 50 and roaming the wing, maybe it creates more space for JUH .

I guess you can only see how the player's running patterns converge with ball movement in the game. Its hard on TV to see it all , and the commentary is just getting rubbish now.
Naughton's "quiet" game last week involved him dragging Alex Pearce away from the ball and Naughts finished with 2 goals anyway.
We're often harsh on players who play a 'team first' style of game. Marra's improvement early in the season when he wasn't kicking goals, but working hard to provide the outlet kick from our D50, was just as important and something he wasn't doing consistently earlier in his career.
I'm pretty happy we had a free swing at a no 1 draft pick in a stroke of luck so amazing the AFL changed the rules (twice) after we grabbed him.

ledge
04-07-2023, 04:47 PM
Naughton's "quiet" game last week involved him dragging Alex Pearce away from the ball and Naughts finished with 2 goals anyway.
We're often harsh on players who play a 'team first' style of game. Marra's improvement early in the season when he wasn't kicking goals, but working hard to provide the outlet kick from our D50, was just as important and something he wasn't doing consistently earlier in his career.
I'm pretty happy we had a free swing at a no 1 draft pick in a stroke of luck so amazing the AFL changed the rules (twice) after we grabbed him.

Jamarra is a gun player . These experts just go on stats of him kicking goals. Even when he wasn’t kicking goals his ground work is exceptional he is like a ruck rover in the forward line and has always been good at ground Level . That’s what separates him from the big lumbering full forward . We are extremely lucky as Naughton is also great with ground balls. Just a little secret , Darcy and Croft might be tall but they have ground ball ability too.
And don’t forget English .
We are seriously blessed if they can get it all together .

D Mitchell
04-07-2023, 08:11 PM
Jamarra is a gun player . These experts just go on stats of him kicking goals. Even when he wasn?t kicking goals his ground work is exceptional he is like a ruck rover in the forward line and has always been good at ground Level That?s what separates him from the big lumbering full forward . We are extremely lucky as Naughton is also great with ground balls. Just a little secret , Darcy and Croft might be tall but they have ground ball ability too.
And don?t forget English .

This year, Ugle-Hagan has kicked 20 goals in 15 games, 1.3 per game. 9 of those have come in 2 games, that?s fewer than a goal a game for the rest. He?s averaging 8 kicks a game and 5 marks, that?s up from 6 and 3.5 last year so there?s improvement. 13 tackles in 15 games, 18 from 17 games last year, minimal and inconsequential but no improvement, so far. He had a 5 goal game last year, he?s had 2 (including Freo, a bit of leeway, please) so far this year. His primary skill is the run, jump and mark, on Saturday he excelled at that. Next is his ability to get away, either by himself or with minimal opposition. If you watch his play, he doesn?t chase and second efforts are poor, see the tackle stats. He?s nothing like a ruck-rover, they are ball winners. Ugle-Hagan stays outside packs waving his arms ?kick it to me?. That?s OK, not everyone is a Libba, a pity he doesn?t kick accurately. I haven?t seen anything much at ground level, certainly nothing approaching ?good at ground level? but not supported by stats, your judgment might well be better than mine. Last year, after his 5-goaler and earlier this year, his second 5-goaler, we saw the same optimism but, in both cases, followed by weeks of mediocre performance. Let?s keep calm and hope.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2023.html

PS. I've just noticed that the 15 games didn't include the Freo Game. Adjust the stats. If I'd been any good at maths, I'd have become an engineer, instead of a .......

Mofra
04-07-2023, 10:51 PM
Jamarra is a gun player . These experts just go on stats of him kicking goals. Even when he wasn’t kicking goals his ground work is exceptional he is like a ruck rover in the forward line and has always been good at ground Level . That’s what separates him from the big lumbering full forward . We are extremely lucky as Naughton is also great with ground balls. Just a little secret , Darcy and Croft might be tall but they have ground ball ability too.
And don’t forget English .
No idea on how Croft will be in a few years' time, but Darcy did kick one of the goals of the year at VFL level last year - from a ground ball gather near the boundary

hujsh
08-07-2023, 12:41 PM
Initially Bevo didn't want to play Jamarra because he thought with Bruce out there'd be too much defensive focus on him to be effective. Now I almost feel like the opposite is true after seeing the game live. Jamarra is the focal point. He starts as the deepest forward. He directs players and the structure. He leads and creates the space. We look to him first. Compared to when this was Naughton's role, when we don't kick to Jamarra the other players (Naughton, Weightman) are typically in better positions (especially Naughton) than they would have been in the past because of the work he does and his natural forward nous.

I really thought Naughton's contests were very efficient yesterday. It looks so much better when he's 1v1 or crashing a 1v1 contest as the 3rd man up with a clear run than when we're just kicking to packs hoping he takes a screamer. It seems a much better use of his talents and a much better way to hide his weaknesses as a forward. He probably got just as many goals as he would have being the FF but from much fewer f50 entries directed to him. Jamarra and Weightman as natural forwards are doing a lot to make our forward line look functional for probably the first time since Bruce got injured so just wanted to shout out what I see as a nice side effect of Marra's emergence.

angelopetraglia
08-07-2023, 12:45 PM
Initially Bevo didn't want to play Jamarra because he thought with Bruce out there'd be too much defensive focus on him to be effective. Now I almost feel like the opposite is true after seeing the game live. Jamarra is the focal point. He starts as the deepest forward. He directs players and the structure. He leads and creates the space. We look to him first. Compared to when this was Naughton's role, when we don't kick to Jamarra the other players (Naughton, Weightman) are typically in better positions (especially Naughton) than they would have been in the past because of the work he does and his natural forward nous.

I really thought Naughton's contests were very efficient yesterday. It looks so much better when he's 1v1 or crashing a 1v1 contest as the 3rd man up with a clear run than when we're just kicking to packs hoping he takes a screamer. It seems a much better use of his talents and a much better way to hide his weaknesses as a forward. He probably got just as many goals as he would have being the FF but from much fewer f50 entries directed to him. Jamarra and Weightman as natural forwards are doing a lot to make our forward line look functional for probably the first time since Bruce got injured so just wanted to shout out what I see as a nice side effect of Marra's emergence.

Agree with all that.

However, Naughton had a massive win for him personally last night as Moore went to Marra. The best defender went to Marra for a change. What did this mean? Well Naughton looked unstoppable. Was marking everything. He looked like he was going to rip the game apart. So then they made the switch. Moore went to Naughton.

Then Marra started to look more dangerous. Marra was unsighted early when Moore was on him.

It is a luxury to have two dangerous forwards and that is why Naughton should play forward and not back.

azabob
08-07-2023, 12:55 PM
I made a similar observation last week when Ugle-Hagan was the deepest forward against Fremantle.

It’s his forward line now.

macca
08-07-2023, 01:24 PM
JUH, Naughton in their prime

Then Croft and Darcy

If we can find another medium -size forward (fristch/Miocheck type) it be a terrifying fwd line in a few years time

D Mitchell
08-07-2023, 02:05 PM
Agree with all that.

However, Naughton had a massive win for him personally last night as Moore went to Marra. The best defender went to Marra for a change. What did this mean? Well Naughton looked unstoppable. Was marking everything. He looked like he was going to rip the game apart. So then they made the switch. Moore went to Naughton.

It is a luxury to have two dangerous forwards and that is why Naughton should play forward and not back.

Moore's part of the C'wood zone was in front of goal, Murphy picked up in pockets and further out. Intercept defenders anticipate the ball rather than worrying about the individual marking forward. Moore picked up whoever was in his zone.

bornadog
08-07-2023, 02:09 PM

Then Croft and Darcy

If we can find another medium -size forward (fristch/Miocheck type) it be a terrifying fwd line in a few years time

Weightman plays more like a medium than a small. We need a goal kicking crummer.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2023, 02:21 PM
Marra gave Moore trouble in the second quarter.

Both Naughty and Marra gave their key backs a bit of a rinse.

bornadog
08-07-2023, 02:23 PM

Just goes to show that Collingwood could be in trouble if a team has some big forwards and they can curtail their running speedsters off the backline. I think Port are the best team at the moment.

macca
08-07-2023, 03:04 PM
Yep , 2 bIg forwards who can lead cause most team problem
Port: Dixon , Marshall and Flynn rotate
Geelong : Hawkins and Cameron
Maybe Adelaide when it clicks : Riley Thilthorpe and Walker

Are the ones come to mind

D Mitchell
09-07-2023, 01:19 AM

Perspective. Naughton was quiet in Q3 but otherwise was a constant threat and goaled in the other 3. Ugle-Hagan was prominent in Q2 kicking both his goals but, apart from the behind early in Q3, did little otherwise.

bornadog
09-07-2023, 10:11 AM
Perspective. Naughton was quiet in Q3 but otherwise was a constant threat and goaled in the other 3. Ugle-Hagan was prominent in Q2 kicking both his goals but, apart from the behind early in Q3, did little otherwise.

The second half of the 3rd quarter, the ball rarely went down Naughton's end

ledge
09-07-2023, 10:25 AM

Then Croft and Darcy

JUH is a long way from his prime .. it’s scary

D Mitchell
09-07-2023, 05:03 PM
The second half of the 3rd quarter, the ball rarely went down Naughton's end

That's probably right. I posted Perspective, not criticism. The phrase "give up" isn't in Naughton's vocabulary.

Grantysghost
06-11-2023, 01:48 PM
https://www.zerohanger.com/young-bulldogs-star-sends-clear-message-on-future-ahead-of-incoming-rival-interest-145387/#Echobox=1699219026

azabob
06-11-2023, 02:02 PM
How do publications like zero hanger survive? All they do is mine other websites and media outlets for content.

Slap a headline and “editor” byline on it like it’s some sort of original content.

bornadog
06-11-2023, 03:40 PM
How do publications like zero hanger survive? All they do is mine other websites and media outlets for content.

Slap a headline and “editor” byline on it like it’s some sort of original content.

That's what they all do

ledge
06-11-2023, 04:56 PM

Slap a headline and ?editor? byline on it like it?s some sort of original content.

Look at his head, looks like a 20 yo trying to carve out a career of some importance .
The advertising is the reason he does it $$$
Just write or copy anything he finds and slap it up get paid.
All about the headline .

Twodogs
06-11-2023, 06:29 PM
Look at his head, looks like a 20 yo trying to carve out a career of some importance .
The advertising is the reason he does it $$$
Just write or copy anything he finds and slap it up get paid.
All about the headline .

Advertising is right. I reckon 4 different ads loaded while I was reading the article

Grantysghost
13-11-2023, 08:15 PM
Fair athlete.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PI3K-88yhEE?si=uhMVF72MY2bJQwqI

Can Pendles do that?

Twodogs
13-11-2023, 08:20 PM
Fair athlete.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PI3K-88yhEE?si=uhMVF72MY2bJQwqI

Can Pendles do that?

Is that Eddie Betts?

Grantysghost
13-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Is that Eddie Betts?

Yes it is TD. Not sure what the event was.

ledge
13-11-2023, 08:51 PM

Could you get anyone better than Eddie to learn ball magic ?
I wish we had him at the club with Arty under his wing.

Grantysghost
13-11-2023, 09:04 PM
Could you get anyone better than Eddie to learn ball magic ?
I wish we had him at the club with Arty under his wing.

Might happen one day! Hope so love Eddie.

ledge
13-11-2023, 09:14 PM
Might happen one day! Hope so love Eddie.

I think he was teaching stengle at Geelong last year

Twodogs
15-11-2023, 07:28 PM
Thank you very much.

Any idea who #12 is?