PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm optimistic about 2021.

merantau
14-12-2020, 09:31 PM
Like many after a glorious and unprecedented Premiership win in 2016 I was looking forward, realistically bearing in mind our age profile, to a period of sustained campaigns that would result in even more success. How quickly those hopes were dashed in the following two seasons.
The last two years have seen a largely re-vamped team make the 8 only to be unceremoniously eliminated after Week 1. In both seasons it took a considerable late season surge to make the eight and some excellent football was played along the way. For example our win over West Coast in a crunch game near season's end this year. And don't forget we obliterated GWS late in 2019 and they went on to play in the Grand Final.
Yes, they did smash us in the Elimination Final and I really blame a lack of foresight played a large part in our abysmal performance in that match. We must NEVER let that happen again.

So why the optimism? We are down to 10 of our 2016 heroes - 9 of whom I consider to be best 22. That leaves spots up for grabs which can only be healthy. Of course of those 13 spots some players have a got a mortgage on one - English, Keath, Williams, Wallis, Crozier, Vandermeer, Treloar, Naughton, Smith and Martin. So that leaves 3 spots up for grabs. Healthy competition is good. It makes for hungry footballers who cannot afford to coast.

So, the optimism again? Well, for a start, we have taken steps to address our glaring ruck problem. Martin to share the duties with English. English to become a forward threat when having a spell. Our decision to trade Roughead was a big mistake in hindsight. English would be far more advanced if had been playing alongside Roughhead these last two seasons.

Other factors? JUH. This kid could be anything but let's not put too much pressure on him. He could play midfield or forward, or as a permanent wingman with a licence to run up and down the ground.

Josh Bruce? He has a LOT to prove so I am expecting him to put in a big pre season and come out firing.

Schache? A real talent who has yet to deliver consistently. I would love to see him succeed. He knows thay this year is a crunch year for him.

Naughton. He needs a full pre-season and hopefully will get it. Will be a big presence wherever he plays.

Lin Jong. Will be desperate to get into the 22 and cement his place in the team. He was playing very well in 2016. Tough and pacy he can play midfield and he can go forward and take a mark as well

Rhylee West. Can play the role Clay Smith played and boy do we need that. Hard edge, uncompromising and can kick a goal.

Vandermeer. Blistering pace and skillful. Not afraid to take the game on

Lewis Young. This young guy has to realise his potential in 2021. His great debut turned into a bad dream. He is a talent and I expect him to be busting his gut to prove it.

Bailey Dale. Is a very talented player but he needs to develop the defensive side of his game. He is on notice.

Bailey Smith. A gun who will take another step next year to establish himself as a top shelf midfielder.

Mitch Hannon. A handy acquisition now that Dicko has retired. A definite chance to grab a spot from Lloyd.

Add to the above we will see players benefit from the extra year of experience, extra size and strenght and heightened desire - it's no fun being dumped out of the Finals after Week 1 two years in a row.

So, I am expecting to field a taller, quicker, more balanced and hungrier Bulldog team in 2021.

josie
14-12-2020, 10:21 PM
Nice post merantau.

Totally Agree.

The ruck support is crucial.

Also watching Treloar in RWB running with ball in hand and seeing Bont do more Bontlike things also has me excited.

If Cavarra or Weightman or West become a reliable good small crumbing forward to Naughty and Bruce’s aerial work, with JUH taking marks on the lead, wowee as BT says.

I so hope Schache and Cavarra and Lewis Young make the grade. And that West is given more opportunities too. So much to keep our interest levels high. Real competition for spots too, assuming minimal injuries. Let’s hope it all translates to a successful year.

mjp
15-12-2020, 12:41 AM
For the prosecution....

So, the optimism again? Well, for a start, we have taken steps to address our glaring ruck problem. Martin to share the duties with English. English to become a forward threat when having a spell. Our decision to trade Roughead was a big mistake in hindsight. English would be far more advanced if had been playing alongside Roughhead these last two seasons.

Well, Roughy has played as a key back for the Pies - so no guarantees that he would have helped. We DID have JT - but Bevo wouldn't play him (just like he wouldn't play Campbell)...and Martin looked completely cooked by seasons end, no surprise really since he is 34 years old and has been toiling away as the sole ruckman in Brisbane for years now...

Other factors? JUH. This kid could be anything but let's not put too much pressure on him. He could play midfield or forward, or as a permanent wingman with a licence to run up and down the ground.

Yeah - I have been reading about how he will play wing. Given he averaged 10 touches a game vs u18 competition, he would fit right in with our collection of low possession outside mids! :-)

Actually, even the prosecution doesn't want to say a bad word about Marra BUT planning to play him as a winger might be a less than great plan.

Josh Bruce? He has a LOT to prove so I am expecting him to put in a big pre season and come out firing.
Well, I expected that last year.

Schache? A real talent who has yet to deliver consistently. I would love to see him succeed. He knows thay this year is a crunch year for him.
IS he a 'real talent'? There would be more "Nays" than "Yays" if a vote was taken I suspect.

Naughton. He needs a full pre-season and hopefully will get it. Will be a big presence wherever he plays.

The most important ability is AVAILABILITY...he gets injured EVERY year.

Lin Jong. Will be desperate to get into the 22 and cement his place in the team. He was playing very well in 2016. Tough and pacy he can play midfield and he can go forward and take a mark as well

He better play forward...'cos if he gets it in the midfield the other team will be getting it next.

Rhylee West. Can play the role Clay Smith played and boy do we need that. Hard edge, uncompromising and can kick a goal.

He is a midfielder stuck in the forward line...will never reach his potential whilst trying to become what he isn't.

Vandermeer. Blistering pace and skillful. Not afraid to take the game on

Positive season. Not exactly worthy of the hype he has received but positive...

Lewis Young. This young guy has to realise his potential in 2021. His great debut turned into a bad dream. He is a talent and I expect him to be busting his gut to prove it.

Again - IS he a talent. We have seen nothing but glimpses - the fact the coaching staff can't seem to work out if he is a back, forward or ruckman makes me wonder about consistency and application...you move guys around when they are struggling to succeed...

Bailey Dale. Is a very talented player but he needs to develop the defensive side of his game. He is on notice.

Flat track bully.

Bailey Smith. A gun who will take another step next year to establish himself as a top shelf midfielder.

Hard to argue but worried about restricted midfield time given the Dunkley attempted exit and Treloar aquisition.

Mitch Hannon. A handy acquisition now that Dicko has retired. A definite chance to grab a spot from Lloyd.

From photos this pre-season would appear to have been grabbing the food off Lloyd's plate at the lunch-time buffet!

jeemak
15-12-2020, 02:15 AM
The prosecution has gotten out of bed on the wrong side, seemingly after midday, your worship. :)

Agree on the bit about Roughead, and also think that he was never going to be part of our plans during the rebuild we've undertaken rightly or wrongly so it has nothing to do with effectiveness of English in the end.

JUH anywhere other than a forward pocket or flank doesn't seem real to me, however, he may have averaged just the ten given he didn't play in the midfield but I get it, you're grumpy and your hair's ruffled.

I'm a bit surprised on your views on West. Agree his best position is as a forward, but haven't you said in the past that players just need to play where they get a game and make the most of it? Perhaps as a forward right now he can be something, perhaps he can't, however I think he might be capable of contributing there and if he wants to play games it's probably what he has to do. Wallis was a pure mid for most of his career, and there's not a lot of difference between them in height.

Comments on VDM are pretty harsh, but perhaps you've seen a lot more fast and skilled players who are willing to run at a defence than I have who haven't been given his opportunities. I get you're not criticising him but at the same time I don't think the positivity has been over the top.

To me Dale is the perfect player to keep on the list for when the sun is shining. If he hadn't have shown anything to date I'd be happy enough to have moved him on, but even though it's largely been in good times the guy has actually shown he can play to a borderline elite/ elite level. If we have a good team around him, his next three or four years could be very positive because his job will get less complicated.

I literally have no idea about Bruce, Schache, Naughton or Young for the most part. The only thing I can say with confidence is that I think it is definitely for the betterment of the team that Naughton plays in defence until we have someone who can replace him. It's our glaring weakness and if we fix it up we are so much better. The guy's only young, Chris Grant managed a lazy 550 goals playing half a career in defence, if he wants to kick goals he'll eventually get his chance to.

As for Bailey Smith and all the other mids, if they get a game and play for the team we'll win more than we lose. And if we do that they'll be OK with it.

Ghost Dog
15-12-2020, 04:42 AM
We've got a blue chip list and a premiership coach. A no dickehads policy and a club with core values.
We will play a lot of entertaining footy, and be very hard to stop.

Core values are really important to me. Win or lose we put some quality people on the park. Go Dogs!

Josh S. will win the the goal kicking.

1eyedog
15-12-2020, 08:51 AM
We've got a blue chip list and a premiership coach. A no dickehads policy and a club with core values.
We will play a lot of entertaining footy, and be very hard to stop.

Core values are really important to me. Win or lose we put some quality people on the park. Go Dogs!

Josh S. will win the the goal kicking.

The 10th best defence suggests otherwise. We also seem to struggle to score up the other end. We have 5 blue chip players and that's it. Bont, Macrae, Daniel, Treloar maybe Naughton maybe.

Mofra
15-12-2020, 10:28 AM
The 10th best defence suggests otherwise. We also seem to struggle to score up the other end. We have 5 blue chip players and that's it. Bont, Macrae, Daniel, Treloar maybe Naughton maybe.
... Libba (if/when fit).

I hate to say it, but I can't see Libba playing the bulk of the season which is ok as Dunkley is a fair replacement.

I don't see Martin playing the bulk of the season either, but I do see him being excellent for English's development. Prior to 2020 he was quite durable, will drive training standards and will play good games giving English a rest, noting English will have one more pre-season under his belt for next year.

Schache/Dale - I honestly would have shopped them last trade period. I have zero faith in their ability to play in a high pressure game. Schache at least runs and has workrate. I doubt we'll see much of Lloyd either. Hannan in + English resting forward at times + 1-2 resting mids forward of the ball + VDM when fit.

We have one enormous, glaring issue - a KPD pairing. Garnder is not yet convincing, Cordy more Dale Morris lite than a genuine KPD, and Lewie Young is a baby who needs a big pre-season.

Our second glaring (and rarely discussed) issue - who is prepared to sacrifice their game for the good of the team?
Dunkley clearly isn't anymore. Can Macrae spend more time 'outside' the contest and take wing rotations? Can JJ suck it up and play the occasional role as a pressure forward or take wing rotations? Can Treloar play outside at times? Smith? Bont can spend a bit more time forward (especially with 20 minute quarters) but when the game's on the line I actually want him near the action.

Wallis did it and it worked for him - who else?

Ghost Dog
15-12-2020, 11:02 AM

Easton Wood? Libba? Dunkley? If Dunkley is not blue chip then why all the fuss. The guy is a ball magnet.
JUH you must have left out by mistake.

I don't know. I'm a glass half-full person but I think I don't have to be to rate these guys. Our def will improve considerably with Naughton down back.

Anyway this is the year Lin Jong comes storming back in a sea of red white and blue streamers.
Mitch Wallis is blue chip when wearing our colours. The guy absolutely kills it in the effort department and someone like that is invaluable as a club man. Think Matty Boyd.

bornadog
15-12-2020, 11:21 AM

Hunter, one of our most important players

comrade
15-12-2020, 11:35 AM

As BD said below, I think Hunter fits into this group. We really need English and Marra to sit comfortably here too if we're to genuinely contend over the next 5 years.

The fact that no defensive player (besides Daniel but he's more offensive any way) looks even close to becoming an A grader is a real concern. Needs to be a priority for our list management team.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-12-2020, 11:39 AM
I think it's fair to be optimistic or pessimistic about our chances next season. We're one of those teams in the competition who could win it all if everything suddenly clicked. There are always those teams who suddenly turn things around. On paper (except down back) we have an excellent side so it's indeed possible it could be us.

However, I tend to go off past trends and results to predict future outcomes rather than gut feel. And for me, whilst I don't predict a downward trend, I don't think we'll fair much better than the last few years. We simply haven't addressed our main areas of weakness.

Getting Martin is great but he alone will not address our horrendous ruck problem. That still rests on English's shoulders and from what I saw last season, he's nowhere near ready to reliably compete in the ruck.

Our backline remains incredibly thin and void of a 1 on 1 lockdown defender. Gardner was serviceable for a few games but we can't seriously expect to rely on him to take the monster forwards. I hate to say it but Young isn't going to become that lockdown defender for us. He's also and interceptor like Keath who we have unfortunately pigeon-holed into that lockdown role. He did a marvellous job but it's not his role and he's much better as an interceptor. And what on earth are we going to do if Keath goes down with an injury?? Seriously who can we bring in? I just don't think Young is going to make it.

Up forward we have way too many tall and medium forwards whilst having basically zero small/crumbing forwards. We pretty much can't fit Bruce and Schache yet are crying out for 1 small who can actually rove a pack and snap a goal. Hannan is not going to do that reliably for us. Hopefully Garcia or Mcneil or even Weightman can come from nowhere and provide that role but I'm not holding my breath considering how awful our forward chemistry has looked.

Finally, it would seem Bevo is too stubborn or simply incapable of changing our style to become a little more free flowing in the middle portion of the ground. The over handballing stifles our movement. We seem to rely on generating any sort of movement from defence which doesn't happen too often as usually once the ball hits our defence we are woefully out of position or it goes in there uncontested so our defenders have no hope.

I expect us to finish around 7-12 yet again next season. Unless some sort of "switch" is flicked and some players find another level, or at the very least, some aggression and hardness.

Mofra
15-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Up forward we have way too many tall and medium forwards whilst having basically zero small/crumbing forwards. We pretty much can't fit Bruce and Schache yet are crying out for 1 small who can actually rove a pack and snap a goal. Hannan is not going to do that reliably for us. Hopefully Garcia or Mcneil or even Weightman can come from nowhere and provide that role but I'm not holding my breath considering how awful our forward chemistry has looked.
I agree, which is why I am staggered that our last draft picks in 2019 were Louis Butler (a rebounding HBF we have said, but not implemented in any way, we'll try and put him on a wing) and Dominic Bedendo (who seems like an Easton Wood clone, super athlete that needs to build footy IQ).

Good luck tot he kids and I hope they make it, but that was the time to look at a small quick pressure forward and we blew it. We even passed over Winder last week when he was available!

1eyedog
15-12-2020, 12:00 PM
Easton Wood? Libba? Dunkley? If Dunkley is not blue chip then why all the fuss. The guy is a ball magnet.
JUH you must have left out by mistake.

I don't know. I'm a glass half-full person but I think I don't have to be to rate these guys. Our def will improve considerably with Naughton down back.

Anyway this is the year Lin Jong comes storming back in a sea of red white and blue streamers.
Mitch Wallis is blue chip when wearing our colours. The guy absolutely kills it in the effort department and someone like that is invaluable as a club man. Think Matty Boyd.

JUH is completely unproven at this stage and hasn't even played a game. Easton Wood is past his prime and really had had a good season and a half, Libba is critical for us but I fear he's played his best footy and Dunkley is all about potential that needs to be sustained. Same could be said for Naughton actually so I'll stand by the number of blue chip players we have by removing Naughton and including Hunter, who I mistakenly overlooked.

I'm ok with that core group if we get continued improvement from our younger players and if the Wally's, Keath's and Wood's can play their role we should see an improvement on our first final exodus in 2021.

merantau
15-12-2020, 12:44 PM
For the prosecution....

Well, Roughy has played as a key back for the Pies - so no guarantees that he would have helped. We DID have JT - but Bevo wouldn't play him (just like he wouldn't play Campbell)...and Martin looked completely cooked by seasons end, no surprise really since he is 34 years old and has been toiling away as the sole ruckman in Brisbane for years now...

Yeah - I have been reading about how he will play wing. Given he averaged 10 touches a game vs u18 competition, he would fit right in with our collection of low possession outside mids! :-)

Actually, even the prosecution doesn't want to say a bad word about Marra BUT planning to play him as a winger might be a less than great plan.

Well, I expected that last year.

IS he a 'real talent'? There would be more "Nays" than "Yays" if a vote was taken I suspect.

The most important ability is AVAILABILITY...he gets injured EVERY year.

He better play forward...'cos if he gets it in the midfield the other team will be getting it next.

He is a midfielder stuck in the forward line...will never reach his potential whilst trying to become what he isn't.

Positive season. Not exactly worthy of the hype he has received but positive...

Again - IS he a talent. We have seen nothing but glimpses - the fact the coaching staff can't seem to work out if he is a back, forward or ruckman makes me wonder about consistency and application...you move guys around when they are struggling to succeed...

Flat track bully.

Hard to argue but worried about restricted midfield time given the Dunkley attempted exit and Treloar aquisition.

From photos this pre-season would appear to have been grabbing the food off Lloyd's plate at the lunch-time buffet!

Well, in my case, (Dogs supporter since 1956, member since 1976) you don't get to rack up those numbers UNLESS you are a glass half full type!

A few observations. If Wally can become a goal kicking, crumbing, small forward then Rhylee West can do it too.
Roughead was excellent in the ruck in 2016. Just because the Pies played him down back doesn't negate my point that, if we still had him, pairing him with English would have helped the latter considerably.

Agreed, Martin has shouldered a heavy load at the Lions. A change of Club will be good for him and he has English to help him share the load.

Naughton. Yes, he has had injury concerns but the last one was a freak, facial, fracture. The one before that was a knee. He doesn't have soft tissue injuries which are more of a concern in relation to AVAILABILITY. It's not unreasonable to expect that the injury demons will get off his case for a while.

Re JUH. Possessions are possibly the most overated statistic of all. Think Dale Morris, think Tory Dickson. And for a trip down memory lane think Geoff Tonbridge and John Northey. They might have only got their hands on it half a dozen times but they'd kick a couple and have a hand in another.

And then there's the obverse. Think David Thorpe, Ian Dunston and Peter Featherby. All of them absolute ball magnets who knocked up getting possessions. The first two won B&Fs with us. We traded them all and ineffective use of the ball was a factor. I remember Jack Dyer saying of Featherby when he went to Geelong: "He doesn't do much with the ball but when he's got it, the opposition hasn't." (Jack was the King of the Backhanded Compliment)

Mitch Hannan. Putting on 4kg is irrelevant. He is the type w h o could lose that in a week. I am not expecting him to play every game but he does have something to prove to the Club and he does have ability.

Josh Bruce. Yes, I was very disappointed with him but he is a quality player. The Corona Year was not a good year to change clubs. 2021 will be different for him

Schache and Young must know that they are expected to produce this year. I am baking them to respond.

bornadog
15-12-2020, 12:50 PM
UNLESS you are a glass half full type!

I am a half glass full bloke as well. Must stay positive otherwise may as well not watch the footy at all.

You put up a good counter argument. We can all poke holes in every player, every team, but I am confident we are building to be a very competitive team and expecting a top four finish.

mjp
15-12-2020, 01:47 PM
A few observations. If Wally can become a goal kicking, crumbing, small forward then Rhylee West can do it too.

I love your post by the way - and the responses.

Just on this one though:

1/. Is Wally a crumbing forward or a leading/marking medium sized forward?
2/. Why do we want West to become a forward when clearly all his skills and experience to this point are as a mid...he *SHOULD* be into his 2nd season of becoming part of our mid rotation after spending year 1 as a VFL mid. I am a bit lost on his development plan right now. I mean - CAN he do it? Maybe. But he isn't going to be Eddie Betts or even Jamie Cripps...

bornadog
15-12-2020, 01:58 PM

Just on this one though:

2/. Why do we want West to become a forward when clearly all his skills and experience to this point are as a mid...he *SHOULD* be into his 2nd season of becoming part of our mid rotation after spending year 1 as a VFL mid. I am a bit lost on his development plan right now. I mean - CAN he do it? Maybe. But he isn't going to be Eddie Betts or even Jamie Cripps...

Wally is definitely not a crumbing forward, he gets all his kicks through marks and outbodying his opponent.

comrade
15-12-2020, 02:01 PM
West should take the role Lipinski played in the EF (high forward, short bursts in mid).

Rocket Science
15-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Finding optimism isn't difficult, there's objectively lots to like.

Rewarding that optimism however ...

Post-flag, we've been the competition's poster-child for underachievement.

The tools are there, time to cash-in some promise for bona fide progress.

Twodogs
15-12-2020, 08:41 PM

I'd argue that the only thing keeping him on the list are the glimpses of talent that he has shown so far. If it's talent that gets you on the list in the first place and then hard work and attitude that keeps you on the list and takes you to the next level, then Josh has only really shown the first part of the equation (talent) so far, but he has shown a fair bit of it and that's what has kept him in the state for five (?) years now.

That's only one person's opinion though. I'm not saying we have the best defence or anything but I wouldn't take McGuane's opinion as holy writ. It's not number one but our defence is better than the tenth best in the competition.

merantau
15-12-2020, 11:25 PM

Just on this one though:

You are quite right. Wally does get most of his goals from out-bodying, leading into space.

merantau
15-12-2020, 11:48 PM
Wally is definitely not a crumbing forward, he gets all his kicks through marks and outbodying his opponent.

Yes, that is true. I think I had that marvellous goal - the one he kicked from inside the square when, under great duress, he managed to tap the ball clear of his opponent and on to his boot, slotting it from a tight angle - running through my mind when I wrote that.
I remember well the first goal Rhylee West kicked. It was a beauty.
I think we have so many midfield optionss he may have to re-invent himself to get a spot. The loss of both Clay Smith and Tory Dickson in the last couple of years provides an opportunity for someone like Rhylee to re-jig.

Two things we really need to work on are goal kicking and efficiency in the front half.
We have performed really badly in these two key areas for a long time now. Bombing the ball in hope is a very low percentage play.

I would also like to see us hunt in packs and apply remorseless pressure to the ball carrier as we did in 2016. Handball Club needs to be re-visited too.

I feel we are going to take a big step forward in 2021. "Each journey begins with a single step."

w3design
16-01-2021, 10:07 PM
There are two key factors that will have a big say in whether the dogs win the flag this year:

One is whether they can sort out their ruck issues. Stephan Martin will have to be managed and be cherry ripe for finals. English has great value to the side as a ruckman who can drift forward but he still gets slaughtered by the big hairy monsters at centre bounces. Martin should be managed in a way that is similar to the way Brisbane managed Keating during their 2001 to 2003 three- peat. Keating wasn't a world beater but he provided a tough contest in finals that allowed their mids to thrive. Martin might be able to do the same. At the same time, Martin in the ruck gives the dogs huge flexibility on match day, given the fact that English does possess a bit of forward craft. If English is able to spend 50% of his time forward , he'll kick 25 goals and provide an extra tall target.
Which brings me to the second factor i.e. that someone needs to reinvent themselves as a key defender. Maybe Bruce or the Schack. The safer option is to throw Naughty Aaron back but I think that would be a shame as the dogs play some pretty entertaining footy when he's there as a target. On the other hand, if English spends a bit more time forward and the Ukulele wiz kid can make a reasonable contribution in his first year, AND Bruce or Schache can improve their output by 10% that probably allows Naughton to play back.
Every other area on the list is covered IMV. If nothing else, the dogs will bat deep in 2021.

mjp
17-01-2021, 06:42 PM
One is whether they can sort out their ruck issues. Stephan Martin will have to be managed and be cherry ripe for finals. English has great value to the side as a ruckman who can drift forward but he still gets slaughtered by the big hairy monsters at centre bounces. Martin should be managed in a way that is similar to the way Brisbane managed Keating during their 2001 to 2003 three- peat. Keating wasn't a world beater but he provided a tough contest in finals that allowed their mids to thrive. Martin might be able to do the same. At the same time, Martin in the ruck gives the dogs huge flexibility on match day, given the fact that English does possess a bit of forward craft. If English is able to spend 50% of his time forward , he'll kick 25 goals and provide an extra tall target.

So - Martin is managed by not playing or by playing limited minutes in the ruck? 25 goals is a LOT for a part-time forward...that would translate (presumably) to 50-goals given a full-time role which I would think would have made him our leading goal kicker every year since Hall left.

Further, where does Martin go when he isn't rucking? He isn't going to play forward and he isn't going to play back. Which means bench. Which means we are a running rotation down...which means if we get an injury...

I'm sure you're right and these two will play together but I still don't understand how the reality is going to work and how we are going to cover the missing runner...

Running players (btw) is of course where we should be strong. So an extra ruck on the bench means one less forward or one less defender...which means more mids playing forward and back. And as we have seen in the past, forcing guys out of their 'natural' positions can lead to inconsistency in both mindset and game-day outcomes.

Which brings me to the second factor i.e. that someone needs to reinvent themselves as a key defender. Maybe Bruce or the Schack. The safer option is to throw Naughty Aaron back but I think that would be a shame as the dogs play some pretty entertaining footy when he's there as a target. On the other hand, if English spends a bit more time forward and the Ukulele wiz kid can make a reasonable contribution in his first year, AND Bruce or Schache can improve their output by 10% that probably allows Naughton to play back.

What has happened to Le Young? He was playing in a final as a key defender 18months ago and now one of the guys who was recruited (mature age as well so we knew what we were getting) as a forward needs to become a defender?

The back 7 is ???:

Keath - Duryea - Williams - Daniel - Crozier and take your pick from 2 of Wood, Gardner, Richards, Cordy, Le Young, Butler...I think there are questions about smalls and talls here. As an aside, I have gifted Crozier a spot but his last 6-8 weeks last season were poor2average and he might be under pressure as well...

Every other area on the list is covered IMV. If nothing else, the dogs will bat deep in 2021.

Who plays small forward? We have 0x. We need 1-2.
Who plays outside mid? We need 3x. We have Hunter.

1eyedog
19-01-2021, 02:01 PM
Would not surprise me if Martin rucks greater than 80% game time. Not every week, but when he plays he's on the field the majority of the match.

mjp
19-01-2021, 06:13 PM
Would not surprise me if Martin rucks greater than 80% game time. Not every week, but when he plays he's on the field the majority of the match.

English plays 2's?

If you say yes, then I agree with what you are saying...
1x ruckman. 85% gametime spent IN THE RUCK.
Support from 'somewhere'. Where though...where?

Young if he is playing forward?

Danjul
19-01-2021, 06:57 PM
English plays 2's?

Even though I see him as a permanent CHB , Young Might be a back up ruckman. I saw him in a vfl game where he shared the ruck with Tom Boyd and he looked very good. Boyd did not look as competitive in the role.

Still think English should be our permanent 2nd ruck, and we will just have to put up with the 30 goals he contributes as a forward.

Bruce, Schache, and Naughton all play worse after a run in the ruck.

1eyedog
20-01-2021, 03:53 PM
English plays 2's?

I'm wondering if English can play forward?

mjp
21-01-2021, 12:49 AM
I'm wondering if English can play forward?

With Naughton?
Or with Naughton and Bruce?
Or with Naughton and Schache?
Or with Naughton and Bruce and Schache?

How many talls are we gonna stick down there given all of our mid-sizers and smalls seem to be primarily lead/mark players? Or midfielders!

1eyedog
21-01-2021, 10:04 AM
Naughton can play back and in all honesty I'd try Bruce back there also. Either one of them back and English forward. If martin can ruck big minutes surely we must assume that English's output can surpass Bruce's of last year. He is an excellent overhead mark.

Schache, well we don't even know if he's going to be played at all. I dunno, I'm still lost on why we would play English as our number 1 ruck for two years straight and then bring in Martin. I'm just trying to look at ways it can work

mjp
21-01-2021, 10:42 AM
Naughton can play back and in all honesty I'd try Bruce back there also. Either one of them back and English forward. If martin can ruck big minutes surely we must assume that English's output can surpass Bruce's of last year. He is an excellent overhead mark.

Naughton can play back.

Big woop.

He has shown himself to be the best key forward prospect since Chris Grant. Why *WOULD* he be the one to go back??

I don't mean to be snarky but this 'send Naughton back' narrative is really getting to me.

Danjul
21-01-2021, 10:52 AM

Schache, well we don't even know if he's going to be played at all. I dunno, I'm still lost on why we would play English as our number 1 ruck for two years straight and then bring in Martin. I'm just trying to look at ways it can work

Rebuilding about 8 years ago saw The Dogs spend a few years putting together a fantastic group of players. They had a mixture of talent and ambition which combined with great teamwork to overcome weaknesses. Unfortunately one of the consequences of their success was the belief that ruck wasn’t important. That, and a few other strange strategic beliefs, led to the rapid decline in relevance in the competition.

Bringing in Martin suggests that a back to basics movement is underway, and if it extends to other positions on the field, we may finally see a return to seeing the Dogs as a top tier team.

GVGjr
21-01-2021, 10:53 AM

I guess there might be 4 factors in this 1) making the decision on JT 2) a realisation that Sweet isn't ready 3) The performance by English through 2020 4) Not wanting to subject Dunkley to ruck duties again

I still don't see how we can consistently play two ruck man given we've stubbornly tried our best to stick too one for the last few seasons. It will be interesting to see if Bevo and the MC have a level of flexibility for a new set-up

1eyedog
21-01-2021, 10:55 AM
Naughton can play back.

Big woop.

He has shown himself to be the best key forward prospect since Chris Grant. Why *WOULD* he be the one to go back??

I don't mean to be snarky but this 'send Naughton back' narrative is really getting to me.

I know you are big on Naughts forward and so am I. It is borne purely out of my frustration with the CHB position at our club. I don't think Gardner is good enough to play AFL, Lew Young is not being played for whatever reasons and is raw and English cannot be played anywhere other than ruck or potentially forward.

Playing Devil's advocate here and I know he was coming off an injury this year but Naughton did nothing forward all year. A monster game against the Tigers and one or two other games where he has looked lively (especially against the Swans before injuring his knee) does not have me 100% convinced.

Naughton has played some of his best football back and yes, if the team requires it ala Grant its an option I would consider. I would be trying Bruce there in front of Gardener first though with English and Naughton forward. Bruce is a cannonball and could do more harm than good playing alongside Naughton in the forward line this year.

CHB goes like this for me Lew Young, Bruce, Schache, Gardner. Naughton is clearly our best CHB it's an unfortunate dichotomy he is also our best forward.

GVGjr
21-01-2021, 10:56 AM
Naughton can play back.

Big woop.

I get why it's being mentioned and suggested but I'd be very surprised if we made that move. He's a special talent at both ends of the ground but he can be a match winner up forward.

Danjul
21-01-2021, 11:08 AM
Naughton can play back.

Big woop.

In the last 2 years as a forward Naughton has had 5 games where he has kicked more than 2 goals.

His main contribution to the team has been generating momentum, not goals.

Considering that the team has not had a strong, contested marking lock-down backman in years, and there’s a glut of potential match winning forwards, it’s logical to see using Naughton as a key backman as a massive improvement.

Although I am open to leaving him at the end the wind is blowing to.

Danjul
21-01-2021, 11:13 AM
I guess there might be 4 factors in this 1) making the decision on JT 2) a realisation that Sweet isn't ready 3) The performance by English through 2020 4) Not wanting to subject Dunkley to ruck duties again

I still don't see how we can consistently play two ruck man given we've stubbornly tried our best to stick too one for the last few seasons. It will be interesting to see if Bevo and the MC have a level of flexibility for a new set-up

Some might argue that “stick to none” might be historically more accurate.

comrade
21-01-2021, 11:27 AM
Should we play Naughton where it's best for him (and his highlights reel) or best for the team? Because I'm yet to be convinced it's the same position.

Grantysghost
21-01-2021, 11:52 AM
Should we play Naughton where it's best for him (and his highlights reel) or best for the team? Because I'm yet to be convinced it's the same position.

That's a very good distinction to make. We have to make it work with what we've got, they just all can't play forward so someone will be earmarked for a different role. Lets hope the brains trust have studied the permutations and combinations and have a decent set of plans for the season. I'd say the pre-season will give us a sneak preview.

bornadog
21-01-2021, 12:02 PM
Great forwards are a rarity and Naughton has the talent to be a great forward. For me, Naughton stays at FF.

For the backline, I am not adverse at putting Bruce there where he played at GWS with Lew Young as the backup man. As for Schache, he has never played back, and I have a gut feel he can't. As a junior he did play some ruck, so make of it what you will.

jeemak
21-01-2021, 12:06 PM

Exactly. If we can get a better result with him in defence, Bruce as our main target and with English playing part time forward wouldn't we go with it?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-01-2021, 12:10 PM
In the last 2 years as a forward Naughton has had 5 games where he has kicked more than 2 goals.

Considering that the team has not had a strong, contested marking lock-down backman in years, and there’s a glut of potential match winning forwards, it’s logical to see using Naughton as a key backman as a massive improvement.

Naughton hasn't played as a lockdown defender. He originally played with us as an attacking intercept defender, a role we have currently good coverage with. What we don't have is a gamechanging key forward prospect. Obviously Jamarra may develop into one.

Grantysghost
21-01-2021, 12:16 PM
Great forwards are a rarity and Naughton has the talent to be a great forward. For me, Naughton stays at FF.

For the backline, I am not adverse at putting Bruce there where he played at GWS with Lew Young as the backup man. As for Schache, he has never played back, and I have a gut feel he can't. As a junior he did play some ruck, so make of it what you will.

Agree, I think Bruce will play in defence before Naughton.

soupman
21-01-2021, 12:26 PM

A glut?

Who of our forwards is dangerous enough to turn a game in our favour?

Bruce? Maybe St.Kilda Bruce, but certainly not the liability that played for us last year.
Wallis? Has had some good moments but is not the guy to conjure up something special to make the difference. He more fills the role of a steady head who can convert an opportunity when needed.
Ugle Hagen? Eventually yes but atm we can't expect that of him.
Hannan? The guy that was fringe at Melbourne? Not on what we've seen.
Schache? Tidy at times bu also serial absentee in games and the furthest thing from what I imagine a "match winning forward" to be.
Bont? If he can kick straight sure but I prefer him in the middle.
Dunkley? Competent forward, wouldn't say game changeing though.
Vandermeer? Lets work on him establishing himself as a best 22 guy first.
English? He is a tidy ruckman who has shown he can be ok drifting into our forwardline.

Naughton would be an incredible key defender, but he is also the only guy that would make opposition defences worried. He is the only guy that can turn it on for a quarter and potentially tear the game apart. He is probably our best defensive pressure forward, our best contested marking forward, our hardest forward to stop and he certainly makes the rest of the forwardline better.

Our forwardline is Essendon level without Naughton. That's not a good thing.

I am annoyed we haven't really seemed to fix our defensive issues, but swinging Naughton back is only an option when we are under siege in a game and need some steel down there for 5 minutes.

Mofra
21-01-2021, 12:39 PM
5) The soft cap meaning we have to reduce the off-field coaching budget

Stef Martin/Luke Hodge/Sam Mitchell/Joel McDonald type deals will become more common in coming years. Yes, I'm convinced Stef has been brought in as much as a mentor/coach as for his on field role.

Mofra
21-01-2021, 12:43 PM

Given we've gone into matches before with Cordy and 186cm Wood as our two KPDs, I suspect we're not sending anyone back.
Keath plays and Cordy gets chances as the no 2, with Lewie Young and Gardner forced to fight their way into the side for spots.

Wood and Crozier both appear in our team's plans so they play intercept roles, we try to slow the opposition ball movement down and reduce the number of Cordy (or whichever no 2 KPD plays) one on ones.

It's as much a team plan issue as a 'single player in a position' issue.

Danjul
21-01-2021, 01:04 PM

without disagreeing, I find the description of Naughton based upon hope rather than proven performance.

In 2020 both Naughton and Bruce had a poor year on the forward line. Both averaged 7 possessions per game and both had 1 game with more than 2 goals. In each case that game was against a team that finished 17th or 18th.

One thing they did prove is they can’t play together in the same forward line. Naughton did not play in the team when Bruce got his bag of goals, and vice versa. Compatibility is critical and Schache has played well with both, scoring goals without getting in their way (although I would be surprised if we see him given a decent run).

comrade
21-01-2021, 01:24 PM
Naughton as the second coming of Chris Grant is really based off one or two games that he has torn apart in amongst a bunch of games where he has had little to no impact. No one can look at the past 2 years and say that Naughton up forward has been a huge difference maker to our overall win/loss %.

The big marks are exciting but I prefer having a balanced side where all zones of the ground are covered.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-01-2021, 01:44 PM
Naughton as the second coming of Chris Grant is really based off one or two games that he has torn apart in amongst a bunch of games where he has had little to no impact. No one can look at the past 2 years and say that Naughton up forward has been a huge difference maker to our overall win/loss %.

The big marks are exciting but I prefer having a balanced side where all zones of the ground are covered.

I agree that Naughton's impact forward is overrated and overstated at the moment.

Danjul (i think) said Naughton's main play as a forward has been to swing momentum for us, not necessarily kick goals and that's a really good assessment so far. When Naughton looks dangerous, we inevitably look a hell of a lot better but aside from maybe 4-5 games he hasn't exactly proven himself to be a key forward who can regularly hit the scoreboard.

That sounds like I'm knocking Naughton but I'm not. I've said he needs a big year but I still think he's a great forward option for many reasons. I'm fine with us STARTING Naughton forward, but what I don't want to see is him barely getting a touch for weeks while our key defenders are being embarrassed. He should be our swingman; we PREFER him forward but if it's not working for a period of time, we push him back and we bring in Schache or we play English forward/Martin ruck.

If we're not prepared to be flexible with Naughton then we're not giving ourselves the best chance of team success.

bornadog
21-01-2021, 03:41 PM

In 2019, at 19 years of age Naughton took the most contested marks in the AFL and had 59 scoring shots.

In 2020, he only played 12 games, and didn't hit the same heights, but still had 21 scoring shots (6 goal assists) and took 42 marks.

I think he has made a huge impact into our forward line.

Rocket Science
21-01-2021, 04:17 PM
Resisting the urge to start a sister "Why I'm worried about 2021" thread ... because you know we're gonna need it.

comrade
21-01-2021, 04:32 PM
Resisting the urge to start a sister "Why I'm worried about 2021" thread ... because you know we're gonna need it.

This thread is more like 'Why I don't know what to think about 2021'

mjp
21-01-2021, 04:40 PM

If you listed every player who has worn the tri-colour in the entire history of the club there STILL wouldn't be a 'glut' of potential match-winning forwards.

mjp
21-01-2021, 04:44 PM
Naughton as the second coming of Chris Grant...

Chris Grant probably played 50% of his time at CHB.

On a potentially unrelated note, Chris Grant never played in a winning premiership side.

"WE" took the safe option - 'great defender' - over the 'HARD' one. CHAMPION forward.

Playing the forward line is bloody hard. Naughton is our best bet. This is the part of the field where you cannot afford to have the 2nd best option - you HAVE to swing for the fences.

Danjul
21-01-2021, 05:10 PM
In 2019, at 19 years of age Naughton took the most contested marks in the AFL and had 59 scoring shots.

In 2020, he only played 12 games, and didn't hit the same heights, but still had 21 scoring shots (6 goal assists) and took 42 marks.

I think he has made a huge impact into our forward line.
In 2019 Schache played in only 14 games, 9 less than Naughton , but still he kicked 24 goals. Didn’t do his reputation any good.

Reminds me of the old advertising slogan “oils ain’t oils”. Well, goals ain’t goals when it’s Schache kicking them.

personally, I couldn’t understand why the club chased Bruce when they had seen how well Naughton and Schache (and Dale) combined in the last half of 2019. Each played a different role on the forward line and they complemented each other perfectly.

Unfortunately they were not allowed to play their natural game again. Naughton, the big mark in space to launch near goal. Schache the strong lead followed by long range accuracy. Dale working the holes in the defence.

putting English at CHF doesn’t disturb that balance, just adds more goals.

Just dreaming, none of it will happen.

bornadog
21-01-2021, 05:29 PM
Chris Grant probably played 50% of his time at CHB.

On a potentially unrelated note, Chris Grant never played in a winning premiership side.

"WE" took the safe option - 'great defender' - over the 'HARD' one. CHAMPION forward.

Playing the forward line is bloody hard. Naughton is our best bet. This is the part of the field where you cannot afford to have the 2nd best option - you HAVE to swing for the fences.

This^^^

Anyone can defend. (well not anyone, but it is sure easier than the forward line)

Chris Grant at CHB - what a waste that was.

GVGjr
21-01-2021, 06:58 PM
This^^^

Anyone can defend. (well not anyone, but it is sure easier than the forward line)

Chris Grant at CHB - what a waste that was.

I actually disagree with this, it wasn't a waste. I think Grant was a very good forward without being a great one but as defender he was sensational and his field kicking went to a new level. We transitioned the ball so much quicker when Grant was the CHB.

I don't disagree with the notion that it's harder to find a great forward than it is to find a great defender though and that is why I'd like us to stick with Naughton up forward.

jeemak
21-01-2021, 07:52 PM
Didn't Grant come second in the Brownlow voting as a CHB and coming first in the voting as a CHF the next year where we came agonisingly close to making a grand final and the two years following when we should have done better at the pointy end? If so, I'm not sure that was taking the easy way out for us.

bornadog
21-01-2021, 08:33 PM
I actually disagree with this, it wasn't a waste. I think Grant was a very good forward without being a great one but as defender he was sensational and his field kicking went to a new level. We transitioned the ball so much quicker when Grant was the CHB.

I don't disagree with the notion that it's harder to find a great forward than it is to find a great defender though and that is why I'd like us to stick with Naughton up forward.

I think he was one of the greatest CHF that has played for us and highly underrated by the AFL. Kicked 554 goals

How many games did he play at CHB? I think he only played a couple of seasons out of 18 ( I could be wrong) but his record shows only a few seasons where he didn't kick many goals. - see here (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-western-bulldogs--chris-grant)

Youngest player to kick 50 goals - he was 17. Absolute freak player.

GVGjr
21-01-2021, 10:28 PM
I think he was one of the greatest CHF that has played for us and highly underrated by the AFL. Kicked 554 goals

How many games did he play at CHB? I think he only played a couple of seasons out of 18 ( I could be wrong) but his record shows only a few seasons where he didn't kick many goals. - see here (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-western-bulldogs--chris-grant)

Youngest player to kick 50 goals - he was 17. Absolute freak player.

But the statement I challenged was the one around it was a waste to have him at CHB. There is no way it was a waste

Twodogs
21-01-2021, 11:01 PM
But the statement I challenged was the one around it was a waste to have him at CHB. There is no way it was a waste

He was superb at CHB. Shut good players out of the game and turned defence into attack time after time. Our biggest problem was we didn't have 2 or even 3 of him. Then we could have played 1 at CHB, 1 at CHF and 1 at FF.

GVGjr
21-01-2021, 11:22 PM
He was superb at CHB. Shut good players out of the game and turned defence into attack time after time. Our biggest problem was we didn't have 2 or even 3 of him. Then we could have played 1 at CHB, 1 at CHF and 1 at FF.

It's the same issue we have with Naughton, he's a great prospect at both ends of the ground
Bevo called on him to play forward in a JLT game given Tom Boyd was struggling with his injured back. Naughty kicked 3 goals from memory and made a big impression

jeemak
21-01-2021, 11:57 PM
Same issue we had with Bob Murphy, same issue with had with Johnno. Always needed two of 'em.

GVGjr
22-01-2021, 07:39 AM
Same issue we had with Bob Murphy, same issue with had with Johnno. Always needed two of 'em.

I doubt there was a lot of speculation on needing two Bob Murphys, perhaps some passing comments, but Johnno, Grant and Quinlan spring to mind and I'm probably missing quite a few others.

comrade
22-01-2021, 10:03 AM
We could do with 5 more Bonts.

Axe Man
22-01-2021, 10:24 AM
I would like to see an entire team of Matt Sucklings, just to watch EW's head explode.

GVGjr
22-01-2021, 10:43 AM
I would like to see an entire team of Matt Sucklings, just to watch EW's head explode.

Lets redraft him mid season after we are sure EW has paid for his membership

:)

jeemak
22-01-2021, 12:12 PM
I doubt there was a lot of speculation on needing two Bob Murphys, perhaps some passing comments, but Johnno, Grant and Quinlan spring to mind and I'm probably missing quite a few others.

Definitely recall (or at least I think I recall) it being said about Murphy when it was debated as to whether he should play forward or back......but if say it didn't happen, it didn't happen! :)

1eyedog
22-01-2021, 12:52 PM
Definitely recall (or at least I think I recall) it being said about Murphy when it was debated as to whether he should play forward or back......but if say it didn't happen, it didn't happen! :)

That definitely happened. He was a fantastic lead up forward for us and actually played CHF on a number of occassions. Would have loved a Bob forward and back.

GVGjr
22-01-2021, 01:00 PM

All I know is that I wouldn't have said it :)
I thought he had an inflated reputation...almost Wood like :)

The Bulldogs Bite
22-01-2021, 01:05 PM

Yep, pre doing the first knee v Collingwood he was having a huge impact as a CHF despite his known quality as a HBF.

Believe we tried him forward when he returned but he wasn't the same.

Hotdog60
22-01-2021, 01:13 PM
Wasn't Chris Grant struggling with the yips when he was moved back?

Axe Man
22-01-2021, 01:14 PM
Yep, pre doing the first knee v Collingwood he was having a huge impact as a CHF despite his known quality as a HBF.

I fondly remember him often taking a lead up mark around 70 metres out and instantly wheeling around and pumping the ball to a dangerous position deep in our forward 50. A nightmare for the deep defenders as he would get the ball in so quickly. After the knee he seemed to lose some of that agility.

jeemak
22-01-2021, 01:26 PM
I fondly remember him often taking a lead up mark around 70 metres out and instantly wheeling around and pumping the ball to a dangerous position deep in our forward 50. A nightmare for the deep defenders as he would get the ball in so quickly. After the knee he seemed to lose some of that agility.

He played as a CHF for a lot of 2008 and had a huge impact. Was in the top few in the competition for marks as well I thought.

1eyedog
22-01-2021, 01:32 PM
Wasn't Chris Grant struggling with the yips when he was moved back?

Yeah he had a Greg Chappell duck run there for a while in front of the big sticks.

Danjul
22-01-2021, 06:49 PM
It's the same issue we have with Naughton, he's a great prospect at both ends of the ground
Bevo called on him to play forward in a JLT game given Tom Boyd was struggling with his injured back. Naughty kicked 3 goals from memory and made a big impression

Agreed, we need 2 of Naughton. Could actually do with 3 - because his injuries are becoming too frequent it would be nice to have a spare.

EasternWest
23-01-2021, 06:27 PM

Lets redraft him mid season after we are sure EW has paid for his membership

:)

Does anyone know anyone that knows how to sticky a thread?

GVGjr
23-01-2021, 07:34 PM

It's a myth, there is no functionality

bornadog
23-01-2021, 07:34 PM

Mantis tried that with the Eagleton thread but got rejected. :D

Twodogs
23-01-2021, 09:46 PM

That definitely happened. He was a fantastic lead up forward for us and actually played CHF on a number of occassions. Would have loved a Bob forward and back.

Bob made the 2008 AA squad of 40 playing at CHF. The knee injury robbed him of his turning circle and he went back to half back.

Twodogs
23-01-2021, 09:49 PM

No idea what you mean. Unless it's that Rolling Stones album.

1eyedog
24-01-2021, 12:39 PM
No idea what you mean. Unless it's that Rolling Stones album.

Yeah sticky threads are just way too suss.

EasternWest
24-01-2021, 01:18 PM
Yeah sticky threads are just way too suss.

Well they're nothing to worry about here because nobody knows how to do them.

Anyone know the injury news?

GVGjr
24-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Well they're nothing to worry about here because nobody knows how to do them.

Anyone know the injury news?

There is a thread stuck at the top of the Unleashed board :)

EasternWest
24-01-2021, 05:54 PM
There is a thread stuck at the top of the Unleashed board :)

Never heard of it and because nobody knows how to sticky threads I think you're trolling me.

jeemak
24-01-2021, 06:36 PM
EW's being a scallywag G, don't pay any attention to him.

GVGjr
24-01-2021, 06:55 PM
EW's being a scallywag G, don't pay any attention to him.

It's school holidays, he's just bored

Twodogs
24-01-2021, 08:52 PM
It's school holidays, he's just bored

Needs to get out from under the doona.

If I knew how to do it I'd sticky every thread. Then there'd be no complaints at all.

EasternWest
24-01-2021, 09:21 PM
I'm feeling personally attacked.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-01-2021, 09:35 PM
Needs to get out from under the doona.

If I knew how to do it I'd sticky every thread. Then there'd be no complaints at all.

Oh there’d be complaints about how to unsticky a thread.