PDA

View Full Version : Practice Game snippets

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
18-02-2021, 07:55 PM
The WOOF network has some far reaching powers so I was fortunate to have this sent to me and that I could share this with our community

General

I didn't see all of the game.

Teams seemed very much split into seniors versus reserves. Seniors in light blue and reserves in black.

Blue team won something like 90-50.

My eye sight is not what it once was, my vantage point was poor and the players are not wearing numbers, some wearing hats etc so apologies for not getting some of the details we are all after. Blue team were doing all of the attacking which meant I barely saw blue backs and black forwards. I also couldn’t see much of the far wing where I assume Jong was playing. Much of the stuff I wanted answered I either couldn’t see or ran out of time to check.

Blue team

English
Martin
Dale
Vandermeer
Bruce
Wallis
Hunter
Macrae
B.Smith
JJ
Daniel
Libba
Dunkley
Gardiner
Pretty sure Bont, Lipinski and Crozier were as well. Not sure how I missed Bont but I wasn’t really looking for him. A left footed defender got a goal from a 50m penalty late that seemed to be Crozier.

Black Team

Schache
Khamis
Raak
Jamarra
West
Hayes
Smith
Ed
Sweet

Things worth noting

Shocking day for football, hot and windy not really the best day to watch.

Full field umpire contingent and there was 3 50m penalties for the man on the mark rule while I was there.

Some major mismatches for the blue forwards with Khamis, Raak and others taking much bigger opponents for the black team.

English- 80-20 forward/ruck minimal time in ruck while I was there. Starting about 40m from goal at the bounce and working well up the ground when required for a down the line target but noticeably pushing hard forward into space when coming in from the fat side. English had 3 shots on goal while I was there and kicked a goal. Took a big clunk down the line as well (defensive wing) that he then followed and got an uncontested mark forward.

Bruce- starting off the goal line. Took two inside 50 marks while I was there. Clever pass to English from one of them. Looks springier when jumping at the ball and more mobile. Had Khamis for most of it.

Martin- Took a 1 on 1 contested mark inside 50 at one point and passed it off. Seemed very even in the middle for taps which isn’t surprising.

West- Stood out for the black team. Speed and power from congestion very evident and he played genuine midfield. Came out of congestion a couple of times (once from a CB) and evaded tacklers before distributing.

Vandermeer- Very lively on the Hawkins wing where most of the space was. Appeared to be playing more high half forward than wing but involved in everything when the ball was switched to that side of the ground and play was open. Kicked a goal in the last qtr.

Wallis- Deep forward and kicked 2 goals while I was there. One on the lead to the pocket and 1 running back into space on a fast, open play from defence.

Dale- Forward for the blue team and had at least 3 shots while I was there and kicked a couple. Looked dangerous but the ball spent lots of time at the blue end so he had quite a few chances. Looked more likely in the dead pocket where the ball was holding up and he could work his leads and angles.

Richards- Half back for the black team. The touches he got were under immense pressure and windy conditions didn’t help.

Roarke- Wing for black team

Libba- Seemed to get a heap in the middle

Macrae- midfield

Dunkley- midfield

Gardiner- Played on Jamarra for a little bit and beat him twice.

Jamarra- Fair way off at the moment would be my hunch. Hard to see much coming from anyone who didn’t play last year. In fairness it was a small sample size and most of his play was at the far end but that is the general feel I am getting. Played off the goal line at each bounce for the black team.

Caleb- Half back

JJ- half back

Hunter- had it on a string.

Forward 6 for blue team appeared to be English, Bruce, Wallis, Dale, Vandermeer and a resting/rotating mid.

Not going to repeat the number of goals from a previous internal match that a bystander told me but Naughton apparently tore one of the previous intra clubs apart with a bag of goals. I couldn’t see him anywhere on the ground when I arrived but consensus was that he has been dominant.

Both teams defending quite high which made it scrappy in the wind. Wasn’t much space until a team broke through that press and then it was a foot race.

Schache- Was at the other end in last qtr but appeared to get involved heavily late with 2-3 marks and a goal.

Raak- Played relatively deep as a defender.

Hayes- Seemed to be on a wing for the black team.

Couldn’t see Treloar

comrade
19-02-2021, 09:14 AM
Appreciate you posting this GVG. While other clubs post extended highlight videos and official match sim reports to give their supporters some insights, we rely on these tidbits to get excited.

SonofScray
19-02-2021, 09:15 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Preseason is flying by without much noise. The rule change is the first thing that’s caught my attention.

Happy Days
19-02-2021, 09:20 AM
So...you feeling up to repeating the number of goals Naughton kicked yet?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-02-2021, 09:22 AM
Appreciate you posting this GVG. While other clubs post extended highlight videos and official match sim reports to give their supporters some insights, we rely on these tidbits to get excited.

Under McCartney's tenure we seemed to become more conservative with the kind of details we make public. Under Bevo's reign that seems to have increased, and I don't think the balance is right. Sure we want to protect IP, but at what cost and to what benefit?
I think the club is underestimating the positive impact of using pre-season insights as a legitimate means to stimulate fan interest and in turn increase memberships.
Surely there has to be a middle ground.
To have to rely on tid-bits from supporters who happen to attend training is not engaging, and seems at odds with the clubs message to its members about the club being 'energised by its people' and being 'born to stick together and made of the red,white and blue'.
The disconnect between club rhetoric and what they actually deliver in terms of meaningful and engaging communication with it's members is not acceptable.

GVGjr
19-02-2021, 09:27 AM
So...you feeling up to repeating the number of goals Naughton kicked yet?

I think he kicked 7 last week in a practice game

Happy Days
19-02-2021, 09:29 AM

That rules. If you’re allowed to wear a headband in season I see no reason why he can’t do that every week.

GVGjr
19-02-2021, 09:41 AM
Under McCartney's tenure we seemed to become more conservative with the kind of details we make public. Under Bevo's reign that seems to have increased, and I don't think the balance is right. Sure we want to protect IP, but at what cost and to what benefit?
I think the club is underestimating the positive impact of using pre-season insights as a legitimate means to stimulate fan interest and in turn increase memberships.
Surely there has to be a middle ground.
To have to rely on tid-bits from supporters who happen to attend training is not engaging, and seems at odds with the clubs message to its members about the club being 'energised by its people' and being 'born to stick together and made of the red,white and blue'.
The disconnect between club rhetoric and what they actually deliver in terms of meaningful and engaging communication with it's members is not acceptable.

I've really noticed the efforts to reduce supporter access to match simulations and training sessions under Bevo.
From the cancellation of the East meets West day, which was a terrific training session for fans, to reduced access to practice games
I think if you're a fan who liked to get to those events and sessions there has been a significant reduction in opportunities of being able to watch the players outside of the seasons games.
The website has improved a lot but 2 or 3 minute edited highlights of training or practice games just isn't the same for me and I think many others.

Perhaps this is right across the competition but I do miss going to training sessions this time of the year and being able to see the players running around
After 14 or 15 years of being a player sponsor I'm starting to reconsider if it's worth it because I'm losing ground on what I previously enjoyed. Covid doesn't help but it's getting harder to stay connected to the club as someone living in Melbourne and willing to go to training sessions, practice and preseason games. Outside of the season there isn't as much between seasons as I have previously enjoyed

Under the McCartney era (not a reflection of his coaching) I actually went along to vastly more club functions and felt a greater level of connection with the club.

Axe Man
19-02-2021, 10:32 AM
Not going to repeat the number of goals from a previous internal match that a bystander told me but Naughton apparently tore one of the previous intra clubs apart with a bag of goals. I couldn’t see him anywhere on the ground when I arrived but consensus was that he has been dominant.

The bolded part almost gave me a heart attack!

Good to see Raak is still training with us because for some reason he dropped off the official AFL training list who have only been listing Macpherson, Scott and Preston.

Axe Man
19-02-2021, 10:38 AM
That rules. If you’re allowed to wear a headband in season I see no reason why he can’t do that every week.

Can't wait until someone chucks it into the crowd a la Bruce Doull.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-02-2021, 11:12 AM

Hopefully this speaks more to Naughts and not our defence.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-02-2021, 11:20 AM
Both teams defending quite high which made it scrappy in the wind. Wasn’t much space until a team broke through that press and then it was a foot race.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

comrade
19-02-2021, 11:21 AM
Hopefully this speaks more to Naughts and not our defence.

Insert whynotboth.gif

soupman
19-02-2021, 11:42 AM

It's so frustrating. The best bit of pre-seasons used to be overly detailed training reports from posters here.

We must be the worst club in the competition at engaging our supporters with non match stuff:
-No one is allowed to watch us train
-No one is allowed to watch our intraclubs
-We give nothing more than the briefest of articles and a highlights video consistig of 2-3 second clips when we do release something
-We provided minimal information about our reserves performances last season
-We provided no information about anybody other than the four players who were ok in the reserves last season. For example Khamis may as well as not existed last year.
-We provide no insight into what we can expect this year, aside from the same few articles about the same few players who speak well (Dunkley, Wallis, Bont).

For comparism Carlton released comprehensive match reports after every scratch match last year covering every listed player, they have also had a series of articles where they talk about a handful of players in each position and how their pre-season is going (ie. Their defenders article covered Petrevski-Seton, Plowman, Newman, Parks, Williamson and Saad) plus a ten minute interview with the coach. Essendon has fairly in depth articles with the respective line coaches about their area (Gia does a good one about their Defence), and they also have a great 10 minute video with proper highlights from their intraclub not just artistic shots of players kicking it.

I appreciate that we post a lot of videos of things happening to players (like the announcement of Wallis as Vice Captain) but man we give our supporters absolutely nothing on field apart from the briefest of match reports.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-02-2021, 11:44 AM
I've really noticed the efforts to reduce supporter access to match simulations and training sessions under Bevo.
From the cancellation of the East meets West day, which was a terrific training session for fans, to reduced access to practice games
I think if you're a fan who liked to get to those events and sessions there has been a significant reduction in opportunities of being able to watch the players outside of the seasons games.
The website has improved a lot but 2 or 3 minute edited highlights of training or practice games just isn't the same for me and I think many others.

Perhaps this is right across the competition but I do miss going to training sessions this time of the year and being able to see the players running around
After 15 years of being a player sponsor I'm starting to reconsider if it's worth it because I'm losing ground on what I previously enjoyed. Covid doesn't help but it's getting harder to stay connected to the club as someone living in Melbourne and willing to go to training sessions, practice and preseason games. Outside of the season there isn't as much between seasons as I have previously enjoyed

Under the McCartney era (not a reflection of his coaching) I actually went along to vastly more club functions and felt a greater level of connection with the club.

I really hope someone at the club is reading this stuff. If that is reflective of the overall member experience, the club really needs to reflect and adjust their approach.

comrade
19-02-2021, 12:06 PM
It's so frustrating. The best bit of pre-seasons used to be overly detailed training reports from posters here.

We must be the worst club in the competition at engaging our supporters with non match stuff:
-No one is allowed to watch us train
-No one is allowed to watch our intraclubs
-We give nothing more than the briefest of articles and a highlights video consistig of 2-3 second clips when we do release something
-We provided minimal information about our reserves performances last season
-We provided no information about anybody other than the four players who were ok in the reserves last season. For example Khamis may as well as not existed last year.
-We provide no insight into what we can expect this year, aside from the same few articles about the same few players who speak well (Dunkley, Wallis, Bont).

I could cop it if we roll out with some new game plan that takes the comp by storm but that hasn't looked like happening for 4 years.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-02-2021, 12:07 PM
It's funny because, despite the secrecy, we all know how our games will play out anyway once 15 minutes of round 1 have unfolded and Bevo realises his offseason masterplans have unravelled.

"Hmmm Woody tore our reserves apart up forward in preseason. Why isn't it working now?".

"3 talls up forward will be unstoppable. Our reserve backline was helpless in our intraclubs."

GVGjr
19-02-2021, 12:45 PM
I could cop it if we roll out with some new game plan that takes the comp by storm but that hasn't looked like happening for 4 years.

I can recall getting to training sessions and practice games in 2015 and 2016 but once we won the flag it became significantly harder with more closed sessions and cancellations of other events like the East West Day.

Over the years WOOF was invaluable for many interstate and country based supporters because of the comprehensive reports many of us here would share based on the training sessions, practice games and club events etc

It's a lot harder now to provide those updates

Vred
19-02-2021, 01:15 PM
I can recall getting to training sessions and practice games in 2015 and 2016 but once we won the flag it became significantly harder with more closed sessions and cancellations of other events like the East West Day.

Over the years WOOF was invaluable for many interstate and country based supporters because of the comprehensive reports many of us here would share based on the training sessions, practice games and club events etc

Feels like this needs to be bought up with the club to be honest, it's actually getting really bad how shitty they're getting with fan out reach compared to other clubs in the comp.

azabob
19-02-2021, 01:17 PM

Agree with this.

If our results on field were much better I'd be more ok with it.

Scraggers
19-02-2021, 01:19 PM

We appreciate any little tidbits we can get G !!!

comrade
19-02-2021, 02:13 PM
Feels like this needs to be bought up with the club to be honest, it's actually getting really bad how shitty they're getting with fan out reach compared to other clubs in the comp.

I could accept last year with staff cuts etc that we were running pretty thin on the ground in terms of media staff etc and we obviously forgot to take a video camera up to te hub, but when minnow clubs like North and Essendon (snigger) are catering to their supporter base in much better ways than us in 2021, it does grind my gears.

If it is a directive from the footy operations side to give nothing away, they really should reconsider the approach as it's done nothing to improve us over the past 4 years.

GVGjr
19-02-2021, 02:18 PM
Agree with this.

If our results on field were much better I'd be more ok with it.

Under McCartney there were a lot more events. I can recall getting a run down of the playing list and how players would be developed by B-Mac. Had a chance to talk recruiting with Dalrymple at that event. Went to a Footscray game and along with a group of supporters and we got a the same presentation the players got on how the game would played from then coach Chris Maple.
Easton Wood had been dropped and Maple told us the reasons why and what he had been asked to do. So there was some terrific engagement with fans

Certainly a missed opportunity as far as I am concerned

bornadog
19-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Are we sure other clubs have more open training days?

Topdog
19-02-2021, 02:52 PM
G and soupaman you 2 should genuinely email the club with your thoughts.

It might go on deaf ears but you have already basically written the email here. It's such a shame that its go so downhill.

Twodogs
19-02-2021, 07:07 PM

It was the 2016 preseason that the shutters really slammed down. I can remember saying "If we are going to do this then well we'd better win the premiership" and they called my bluff!

comrade
19-02-2021, 08:33 PM
Are we sure other clubs have more open training days?

North had an open match sim today and also posted a decent highlights video shortly after it ended (not some disjointed lightning fast Michael Bay-esque effort like our media team puts out).

GVGjr
19-02-2021, 10:25 PM
G and soupaman you 2 should genuinely email the club with your thoughts.

It might go on deaf ears but you have already basically written the email here. It's such a shame that its go so downhill.

I contacted the club about the East West day and I think the response was something along the lines of the players were already extended with their commitments and Bevo needed them to train at the club. They also said there would be some sort of other events for the East West club. From memory there might have been a kids session and a BBQ on another evening. At the same time I think there were some country clinics so it was obvious the EW days wasn't a priority and it's never really returned.

Now with reduced staffing and Covid as a legitimate excuse, I'm not sure they have the capacity to do much more but in my opinion we are distancing the club and players from the supporters and maybe that is where professional sport is heading but I don't have to like it or accept it. I like the clubs website but it's not even close to what I used to experience. I really enjoyed practice games, training sessions and club events between the footy seasons but some of those avenues are closing

I'll always be a member but I think to get back to that grass roots connection my focus might be better by going to Footscray games than being a WB player sponsor and I'd look closely at going to the TAC games.
A redo of the study, a big cinema style screen might be a decent option going forward

comrade
19-02-2021, 10:43 PM
I contacted the club about the East West day and I think the response was something along the lines of the players were already extended with their commitments and Bevo needed them to train at the club. They also said there would be some sort of other events for the East West club. From memory there might have been a kids session and a BBQ on another evening. At the same time I think there were some country clinics so it was obvious the EW days wasn't a priority and it's never really returned.

Now with reduced staffing and Covid as a legitimate excuse, I'm not sure they have the capacity to do much more but in my opinion we are distancing the club and players from the supporters and maybe that is where professional sport is heading but I don't have to like it or accept it. I like the clubs website but it's not even close to what I used to experience. I really enjoyed practice games, training sessions and club events between the footy seasons but some of those avenues are closing

I'll always be a member but I think to get back to that grass roots connection my focus might be better by going to Footscray games than being a WB player sponsor and I'd look closely at going to the TAC games.
A redo of the study, a big cinema style screen might be a decent option going forward

If they start having financial contributions drop off due to engagement, I can see things changing.

soupman
20-02-2021, 10:50 AM
If they start having financial contributions drop off due to engagement, I can see things changing.

Last year was pretty bad. Everyone basically donated their memberships and the club gave us basically nothing back. I know "covid" but it felt very minimal effort and in keeping with our efforts (or lack thereof) over the past few years.

dog town
20-02-2021, 12:42 PM
I regularly attend training at other clubs without an issue. I also see every club and ppl associated with them giving regular, detailed updates from training and match sim on Twitter. They also post highlights regularly with more context than us.

One of our staff Nick T (can’t remember his position) was at least attempting to give updates from our scratch matches in the hub last year.

comrade
20-02-2021, 02:49 PM
This is great content from Collingwood's intra club: https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/865074/city-take-bragging-rights-for-inaugural-clash?fbclid=IwAR2uzNP06m0yCkEmdrWkmnYw692L5Xq2N0GNrcBTN2SDC hZnKaX7301pA5E

We are so far behind the rest of the competition, it's laughable.

Happy Days
20-02-2021, 04:26 PM
I emailed the club last year about it and got a pretty poor response about a lack of staffing being the reason for the limited content.

How many people does it really take to change a lightbulb?

azabob
20-02-2021, 05:32 PM

Things will only change if the club takes the time to contact and ask members why they have reduced their financial commitment.

comrade
20-02-2021, 05:39 PM
Things will only change if the club takes the time to contact and ask members why they have reduced their financial commitment.

If long time contributors like GVG stop pouring money in, it should ring alarm bells and be taken seriously. You don't want to see the club suffer, but sometimes talking with your wallet is the only way to get a response. Wish it wouldn't come to it, but after 2020 where we effectively donated our memberships, you would have hoped the club would have engaged the fans more to reward their loyalty.

Plus there is a reason why battling clubs like the Saints and Blues are hitting significant member milestones while we seem to be stagnating (when we actually do get membership numbers drip fed to us) - they have built excitement throughout the preseason whereas we have gone into dark mode.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-02-2021, 07:00 PM
If long time contributors like GVG stop pouring money in, it should ring alarm bells and be taken seriously. You don't want to see the club suffer, but sometimes talking with your wallet is the only way to get a response. Wish it wouldn't come to it, but after 2020 where we effectively donated our memberships, you would have hoped the club would have engaged the fans more to reward their loyalty.

Plus there is a reason why battling clubs like the Saints and Blues are hitting significant member milestones while we seem to be stagnating (when we actually do get membership numbers drip fed to us) - they have built excitement throughout the preseason whereas we have gone into dark mode.

Have we become complacent since 2016 given that success but also because of our recent financial success?

Surely we can’t be so stupid? But then I find myself saying that a lot lately about the club.

Twodogs
20-02-2021, 07:26 PM
I say that as someone who has probably seen more training sessions than most.

If other clubs want to see our training sessions then they will find a way to see them. We are really only cutting our nose off to spite our face as a club with this training watcher ban. It's silly, borderline ridiculous and it's costing the club.

GVGjr
20-02-2021, 08:24 PM
Have we become complacent since 2016 given that success but also because of our recent financial success?

Surely we can’t be so stupid? But then I find myself saying that a lot lately about the club.

It might be that a combination of being a bit complacent from a members perspective but it could also be a bit of paranoia from a footy sense. Those blinds they put up in the Barkers cafe flagged their intent to close out sessions

merantau
20-02-2021, 09:17 PM
So, if secrecy is paramount the coaches can set up and do whatever they like behind closed doors and then at open sessions change things around - confuse the opposition by putting people into new roles. The supporters just want to see the players out on the park. Is inability to achieve this is costing us members? It would be hard to measure this.

Bulldog4life
21-02-2021, 10:58 AM
It might be that a combination of being a bit complacent from a members perspective but it could also be a bit of paranoia from a footy sense. Those blinds they put up in the Barkers cafe flagged their intent to close out sessions

And covid has complicated the issue further.

GVGjr
21-02-2021, 11:10 AM
It provides the club a legitimate get out of jail free card to use but more importantly the chance of deferring further the chance to address it

comrade
21-02-2021, 02:30 PM

All clubs are dealing with COVID, we shouldn't be using it as an excuse to shut out fans.

bornadog
21-02-2021, 02:49 PM
All clubs are dealing with COVID, we shouldn't be using it as an excuse to shut out fans.

From some clubs

Due to the ongoing uncertainty and community challenges relating to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the club has taken specific preventative action to directly protect the players and football department from the virus.This means the NEC Hangar will be closed to members of the public until further notice. As a result, all scheduled open sessions have been cancelled for the time being.
While we believe this is an appropriate step to try and reduce exposure for our playing group, the club apologises for any inconvenience this may cause. We will ensure additional open training and signing opportunities are made available later in the year for our members and supporters.

Melbourne - Training Times

As part of the AFL-wide response to COVID-19, Melbourne will hold all training sessions behind closed doors until further notice.

Richmond - There are no open training sessions scheduled until further notice as the Club continues to take precautions against Covid 19.

mjp
21-02-2021, 03:21 PM
I emailed the club last year about it and got a pretty poor response about a lack of staffing being the reason for the limited content.

How many people does it really take to change a lightbulb?

Comments like this are a cop out for 2-reasons:

1/. It takes pretty much zero time to do a quick match review - honestly, the coaches would 100% be doing players summaries for their feedback in any case...having a staffer sit in the room and 'desensitising it' would be simple.

2/. It cannot be challenged. COVID has made all of this 'stuff' a free hit for organisations - we are down on staff is a common refrain. But important stuff ALWAYS gets done - our club doesn't think this is important therefore they just don't do it.

mjp
21-02-2021, 03:23 PM
From some clubs

Yeah - I get other clubs are closing training sessions...but they then seem to be publishing video and proving match reports...

We are closing training and providing stuff all.

soupman
21-02-2021, 03:50 PM
Yeah - I get other clubs are closing training sessions...but they then seem to be publishing video and proving match reports...

Correct. It feels like they treat these kind of easy wins as "be grateful for what you get", as if the club didn't just keep the money from over 30,000 members despite offering nothing a Kayo subscription couldn't in return.

The point is it isn't hard, and they appear to have made zero effort at all, because they don't think it matters.

GVGjr
21-02-2021, 04:58 PM

It's a legitimate excuse now but lets face it we have been cutting back on the supporter engagement for at least 4 years now and this is the opportunity to accelerate it.

I know some are (Colgate) sensitive to anyone questioning the clubs efforts but as MJP pointed out, it's not like it takes 2 or 3 hours to write up an informative report.

GVGjr
21-02-2021, 05:03 PM
Comments like this are a cop out for 2-reasons:

1/. It takes pretty much zero time to do a quick match review - honestly, the coaches would 100% be doing players summaries for their feedback in any case...having a staffer sit in the room and 'desensitising it' would be simple.

2/. It cannot be challenged. COVID has made all of this 'stuff' a free hit for organisations - we are down on staff is a common refrain. But important stuff ALWAYS gets done - our club doesn't think this is important therefore they just don't do it.

Agree on both points.

I think there is a massive opportunity for the club to expand their supporter engagement but we missed that during last season and have done bugger all this off season. To think that the Australian Open got deferred and we didn't jump all over that space is a missed opportunity as I see it.

If we get it right our supporters will be very appreciative

comrade
21-02-2021, 06:02 PM
https://www.afc.com.au/news/864510

Just a lazy live stream for Adelaide fans to feast on while we nibble at the crumbs GVG throws us.

Bulldog4life
21-02-2021, 06:06 PM
It's a legitimate excuse now but lets face it we have been cutting back on the supporter engagement for at least 4 years now and this is the opportunity to accelerate it.

I know some are (Colgate) sensitive to anyone questioning the clubs efforts but as MJP pointed out, it's not like it takes 2 or 3 hours to write up an informative report.

Names G names.

GVGjr
21-02-2021, 06:34 PM
Names G names.

Obviously no one here, we are made of sterner stuff but maybe on Twitter

soupman
22-02-2021, 11:38 AM
Fwiw I wrote in to the club about the lack of access, will pass on the response when i get it.

dog town
22-02-2021, 12:21 PM
Interesting Essendon has already advertised that their scratch match will be live streamed to members.

comrade
22-02-2021, 12:25 PM
Interesting Essendon has already advertised that their scratch match will be live streamed to members.

Hawthorn have posted that they will be providing access via their website, not sure if that means a live stream or comprehensive footage once the match has been completed.

Of course, crickets from the Bulldogs.

azabob
22-02-2021, 02:16 PM

Whoever Essendon is playing is also going to be streaming the game.

Jam Donuts
22-02-2021, 02:46 PM

Has anyone got a good quality drone, you could do a flyover and live stream training and the keystone cops trying to catch it

bornadog
22-02-2021, 02:47 PM
Has anyone got a good quality drone, you could do a flyover and live stream training and the keystone cops trying to catch it

Bevo has a missile launcher, so I wouldn't try it. :D

Jam Donuts
22-02-2021, 02:51 PM
Because of another move interstate i did not continue my Top Dog memberhip for myself and my wife, we simply cannot get to games, however, i did expect to get some form of contact from the club asking why i had not continuedmy Top Dog, perhaps a phone call, email or letter, nothing, zilch, we have become like customers of the big banks just a number and it is very sad, our club needs to rectify this for the future retaining of sponsors even the small ones, and especially the members who some struggle to meet the committment, they are the members who deserve better treatment.

Jam Donuts
22-02-2021, 02:52 PM
Bevo has a missile launcher, so I wouldn't try it. :D

Yes he has its name is Aaron

comrade
22-02-2021, 04:23 PM
Because of another move interstate i did not continue my Top Dog memberhip for myself and my wife, we simply cannot get to games, however, i did expect to get some form of contact from the club asking why i had not continuedmy Top Dog, perhaps a phone call, email or letter, nothing, zilch, we have become like customers of the big banks just a number and it is very sad, our club needs to rectify this for the future retaining of sponsors even the small ones, and especially the members who some struggle to meet the committment, they are the members who deserve better treatment.

That's a real concern.

soupman
22-02-2021, 05:21 PM
Fwiw I wrote in to the club about the lack of access, will pass on the response when i get it.

They thanked me for my comments. Unsure if there is more coming.

bornadog
22-02-2021, 05:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/ad_img/1363727128248811523/u7iat6gs?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn will co-host a live stream of Wednesday’s practice matches between the two clubs at VU Whitten Oval.

Two matches will be held back-to-back, with a match-up between the two senior sides from 10:30am (AEDT), and a reserves match from 1pm (AEDT).

The live stream, thanks to My Sport Live, will start at 10.20am and will be exclusive to members, as a benefit of Western Bulldogs membership.

To ensure you can watch all the action on Wednesday, sign-up now as a Bulldogs member.

If you would like to show you’re Made of Red, White and Blue, call (03) 8899 7414 or visit membership.westernbulldogs.com.au to join or renew as a member now, so you can access the live stream.

A link to the stream will be emailed to 2021 members ahead of the first bounce at 10.30am on Wednesday morning.

With the prospect of crowd restrictions, a 2021 Western Bulldogs Membership is your ticket to the game and the best option to ensure you don’t miss out on any of the action on match-day this year.

For 2021, membership is available in three tiers based on preferred vantage point at Marvel Stadium – Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 - and are available as 9-game (full-season), 6-game or 3-game options. Our flexible membership options start from as little as $9.50 per month

Happy Days
22-02-2021, 05:55 PM
Well. Good.

Hotdog60
22-02-2021, 07:19 PM
Can you watch a live stream after the event? I have to work.

GVGjr
22-02-2021, 07:48 PM
Great news

soupman
22-02-2021, 07:49 PM
They release this mere hours after my email having a go at them for not offering this. Coincidence? I think not.

Good news.

jeemak
22-02-2021, 08:35 PM
Great work Soup.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-02-2021, 09:14 PM
Can you watch a live stream after the event? I have to work.

Likewise. Replay?

Eastdog
22-02-2021, 09:17 PM
Likewise. Replay?

Yep would be great to have the replay of it to watch.

Hotdog60
22-02-2021, 11:37 PM
I've sent an email to the club asking the question if a full replay will be available

Happy Days
23-02-2021, 11:46 AM
Has anyone received their email yet? I'm not confident my usual email is the one that the club has on file.

Axe Man
23-02-2021, 11:50 AM
Has anyone received their email yet? I'm not confident my usual email is the one that the club has on file.

Yes, I received the email at 10:22am.

Vred
23-02-2021, 11:51 AM

Yep got me about 20 minutes ago

Hotdog60
23-02-2021, 11:53 AM
I got the general click here email at 9:21am QLD time.
Nothing yet in response of a replay.

Happy Days
23-02-2021, 11:54 AM
Just got mine too. I'm way too excited for this.

comrade
23-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Looks like the stream will be embedded on the club website which is much better than having to sign up for another website to watch.

Hotdog60
23-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Got the reply:

'Thank you for contacting the clubs membership department.

Unfortunately the match will not be recorded for viewing later, it is only the live stream starting at 10:30am.

Kind regards,'

Smads57
23-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Looking forward to reports from both games from Woofers for the benefit of anyone stuck at work tomorrow ie me!

comrade
23-02-2021, 12:40 PM
Saw this posted on BF:

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd has listed the players who he thinks are primed for big 2021 seasons.

Speaking on Sportsday on Monday night, Lloyd named his ‘February Flyers' - players who have caught the eye during the pre-season.

Aaron Naughton (Western Bulldogs)

“I was at a function and a Western Bulldogs player was there, I won’t say who he was," Lloyd said.

“He said Aaron Naughton in training has been unstoppable. I think he could be an outstanding centre-half back but forward is where they need him.

“They said that in one of the games he played … in three quarters of footy had 24 disposals, 14 marks and kicked five goals - and he took a mark that they believe would have been Mark of the Year.

I'm sure the marketing team is cringing that someone would be out there hyping our players :D

Vred
23-02-2021, 12:53 PM
Saw this posted on BF:

I'm sure the marketing team is cringing that someone would be out there hyping our players :D

Honestly surprised M. Lloyd had something nice to say about us.

comrade
23-02-2021, 01:31 PM
Got the reply:

'Thank you for contacting the clubs membership department.

Unfortunately the match will not be recorded for viewing later, it is only the live stream starting at 10:30am.

Kind regards,'

I'm sure every Bulldogs member who wants to watch this is free at 10.30am on a Wednesday, no need for a replay I'd have thought ;)

dog town
23-02-2021, 01:35 PM
I'm sure every Bulldogs member who wants to watch this is free at 10.30am on a Wednesday, no need for a replay I'd have thought ;) Plenty of streaming sites that allow replays too. Local footy comps do this regularly, absolute madness. The only reason I can see for this is a directive from the AFL or the two clubs footy departments.

Axe Man
23-02-2021, 01:35 PM
Saw this posted on BF:

If Naughton starts playing too well tomorrow the feed may mysteriously drop out.

comrade
23-02-2021, 01:43 PM
If Naughton starts playing too well tomorrow the feed may mysteriously drop out.

https://i.ibb.co/fqNTWtZ/r0-0-1600-1219-w1200-h678-fmax.jpg (https://ibb.co/YPdVS8J)

Aaron Naughton? I don't know what you're talking about...

Happy Days
23-02-2021, 01:49 PM
Gonna be interesting to see the team lineups as much as anything.

I'm "working" from "home" still so will hopefully be able to take most of it in.

bornadog
23-02-2021, 01:53 PM
Saw this posted on BF:

This just tells me we don't have a good enough FB ;)

bornadog
23-02-2021, 02:38 PM
You can record online streaming. I use wondershare ( https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/guide/ )

Axe Man
23-02-2021, 02:50 PM
You can record online streaming. I use wondershare ( https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/guide/ )

I really don't want to know what you are recording with that. ;)

GVGjr
23-02-2021, 02:54 PM
Saw this posted on BF:

The interesting part is that we seem to shy away from building hype and momentum
I think we have a theory that there is a difference in our mindset between being positive about our prospects for the season ahead (which we always appear to be) but not wanting to put it all on the line by saying we believe we will be or are a top four side.
If you fall short of the target you might be held accountable but if you say we are impatient for success it comes down to how you measure success. I think we are far happier with the latter than saying we have set ourselves to be a top 4 side.

bornadog
23-02-2021, 03:05 PM
I really don't want to know what you are recording with that. ;)

Haha.

I actually haven't recorded much with it. I use wondershare to convert old DVDs to hard drive.

SquirrelGrip
23-02-2021, 04:00 PM
They release this mere hours after my email having a go at them for not offering this. Coincidence? I think not.

Good news.

I want Soup negotiating the next lot of media rights.

GVGjr
23-02-2021, 07:58 PM
I want Soup negotiating the next lot of media rights.

Stuff the AFL, I want him on our board

jeemak
23-02-2021, 10:32 PM
The interesting part is that we seem to shy away from building hype and momentum
I think we have a theory that there is a difference in our mindset between being positive about our prospects for the season ahead (which we always appear to be) but not wanting to put it all on the line by saying we believe we will be or are a top four side.
If you fall short of the target you might be held accountable but if you say we are impatient for success it comes down to how you measure success. I think we are far happier with the latter than saying we have set ourselves to be a top 4 side.

Why would we say it if we don't believe it?*

*I think you knew I would reply with that!

soupman
23-02-2021, 10:35 PM
Stuff the AFL, I want him on our board

I'll settle for a list management position combined with a spot on the selectors panel with a bit of supporter engagement on the side.

GVGjr
23-02-2021, 10:55 PM
I'll settle for a list management position combined with a spot on the selectors panel with a bit of supporter engagement on the side.

Make sure you add BT with our list management team as well

jazzadogs
23-02-2021, 11:17 PM

What is the forum's opinion on somebody recording and sharing with the group? (not me, I will also be at work)

Hotdog60
23-02-2021, 11:30 PM
What is the forum's opinion on somebody recording and sharing with the group? (not me, I will also be at work)

Might be some issues with copywrite. But if it was uploaded to something like Vimeo with a password and keep for a sort term and then delete it.
I don't really know the legalities of it that's for smarter people than me.

jeemak
23-02-2021, 11:41 PM
Make sure you add BT with our list management team as well

I'm happy to help with that........

Eastdog
23-02-2021, 11:48 PM
Looking forward to reports from both games from Woofers for the benefit of anyone stuck at work tomorrow ie me!

Yeah got the email as well but yes at work as well so look forward to the reports.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-02-2021, 08:40 AM
Yeah got the email as well but yes at work as well so look forward to the reports.

Ditto. A pity the club wouldn't make the footage available at a more work friendly time.
Look forward to reports from those able to watch.

comrade
24-02-2021, 09:50 AM
Nice to actually have some footy to look forward to, even if it is the mickey mouse stuff. Hopefully Jamarra plays in either game, given it'll be his first hit out in a Bulldogs jumper.

Cyberdoggie
24-02-2021, 10:58 AM
For some strange reason i didn't get the email with the link to the practice game. Can anyone share the link here?

jeemak
24-02-2021, 11:03 AM
For some strange reason i didn't get the email with the link to the practice game. Can anyone share the link here?

Same. I have two memberships linked to my email address and neither received it.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 11:05 AM
Out at Whitten Oval for today’s first practice game. Aaron Naughton (corkie) and Jack Macrae won’t face Hawks today after running with modified group this morning, along with Adam Treloar.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan to play in the Dogs’ reserves game

bornadog
24-02-2021, 11:10 AM

Tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

Same. I have two memberships linked to my email address and neither received it.
Sent PM

bornadog
24-02-2021, 11:12 AM
Out at Whitten Oval for today’s first practice game. Aaron Naughton (corkie) and Jack Macrae won’t face Hawks today after running with modified group this morning, along with Adam Treloar.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan to play in the Dogs’ reserves game

Also Anthony Scott, vying for a spot on the club’s list via the SSP, will play for the Dogs’ senior side, as will first-year Bulldog Lachie McNeil.

Cyberdoggie
24-02-2021, 11:13 AM
Just emptied it, please try again Bornadog.

thanks again

Happy Days
24-02-2021, 11:14 AM
No Naughton is a bit of a bummer.

Mofra
24-02-2021, 11:17 AM
Great shot of an empty centre square being streamed right now

bornadog
24-02-2021, 11:17 AM
Just emptied it, please try again Bornadog.

thanks again

done

comrade
24-02-2021, 11:19 AM
Great shot of an empty centre square being streamed right now

Nothing for me at the link I received

Cyberdoggie
24-02-2021, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the PM Bornadog your a legend ;)

Mofra
24-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Duryea and Richards playing in the 2nds is a bit of a surprise.
JUH and Schache also notables in the seconds. McNeil in the firsts, hope he gets a good run on the wing.

comrade
24-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Sorry if I get in trouble, but here's the link for anyone who wants to watch:

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/practicematch-240221?spMailingID=6624029&spUserID=Mjg4ODA2MTk3NDk0S0&spJobID=1200895603&spReportId=MTIwMDg5NTYwMwS2

bornadog
24-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the PM Bornadog your a legend ;)

I sent two PMs, had the wrong link in the first one

comrade
24-02-2021, 11:26 AM
Hawks top 5 players are out, should win the main game.

Cyberdoggie
24-02-2021, 11:28 AM
Josh Bruce looking a lot leaner

comrade
24-02-2021, 11:29 AM
Cordy in the reserves game is interesting.

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 11:30 AM
Hawks top 5 players are out, should win the main game.

If we don’t can we tear up our memberships that we haven’t received yet? I’m already writing a strongly worded e-mail about Lewis Young being played in the 2nds.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 11:31 AM
Just remember it is a practise match and coaches will be trying out new things, new positions etc.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2021, 11:33 AM
Our jumper looks great out there, the red stands out.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2021, 11:34 AM
Is the second game the 'reserves' game?

soupman
24-02-2021, 11:35 AM
Shocking site to watch it on, especially on phone. So many pop up stuff you can't get rid of, and you can't make the actual video full screen.

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 11:35 AM
Is the second game the 'reserves' game?

That’s the theory

bornadog
24-02-2021, 11:42 AM
Shocking site to watch it on, especially on phone. So many pop up stuff you can't get rid of, and you can't make the actual video full screen.

Quality of video is poor

comrade
24-02-2021, 11:43 AM
Skills and connection off half back horrible so far.

Happy Days
McNeil in the firsts? In the midfield? Very interesting.

The Bulldogs Bite
Commentary is awful...

soupman
Quality of video is poor

Thats to be expected with a practice match live stream. I'm honestly impressed they have commentary.

SquirrelGrip
24-02-2021, 11:44 AM
The numbers on the back are low and there's no sponsor below or above the number. I'm guessing we are waiting to announce a big new sponsor?

comrade
Bruce miles behind Hartigan.

soupman
Commentary is awful...

The girl commentator makes everything a question with her inflection at the end

Happy Days
24-02-2021, 11:45 AM
Quality is pretty good over here. Commentary was a welcome surprise and give me amateurs actually calling the game over Dwayne spewing catch phrases for 2 hours.

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 11:45 AM
Quality of video is poor

It’s a single static camera on the wing. It’s a practice match. It’s fine for what it is.

Happy Days
24-02-2021, 11:46 AM
English as a high CHF looks really good.

soupman
24-02-2021, 11:46 AM
English getting involved a lot. Scott is a dissapointing size, we don't need another not pacy smallish flanker type.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 11:48 AM
Entry to FWD 50 hasn't improved

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 11:48 AM
Commentary is awful...

To be fair, if you can’t get use these sort of games to get some hours into inexperienced commentators you’ll never replace Brian Taylor...

comrade
24-02-2021, 11:49 AM
Caleb has it on a string.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 11:50 AM
It’s a single static camera on the wing. It’s a practice match. It’s fine for what it is.

With technology these days, could be a lot better. I am only getting 576p on a very good PC

No more whinging :D

comrade
24-02-2021, 11:52 AM
Wallis looks like he needs the run.

Mofra
Hawks defenders seem to be leading our forwards to the ball. Not a good sign on that front.

Caleb Daniel is insanely good.

Happy Days
The girl commentator makes everything a question with her inflection at the end

Did you absolutley have to say this? Can't hear anything else now.

comrade
Hawks defenders seem to be leading our forwards to the ball. Not a good sign on that front.

Caleb Daniel is insanely good.

Bruce continuing on with his 2020 form so far.

Happy Days
24-02-2021, 11:53 AM
Bruce continuing on with his 2020 form so far.

Looking good doing it though.

Before I can even get the joke out he's taken a huge grab. Good stuff!

bornadog
Martin already showing he will be useful

The Pie Man
Broooce!

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2021, 11:54 AM
Huge grab by Juice, good goal too.

Mofra
McNeill and Scott have made good position a few times. All you can ask for from a rookie and an unlisted player.

The Underdog
Josh Bruce, Coleman Medal favourite

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 11:55 AM
McNeill and Scott have made good position a few times. All you can ask for from a rookie and an unlisted player.

McNeill has looked good. A couple of good handballs under pressure.

Happy Days
24-02-2021, 11:56 AM
That McNeil is playing in this game is surely a great sign for him.

Gonna be interesting to see if Cody/Richards/Schache/Smith/Young are not playing at all or have been purposefully selected for the second game.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 11:58 AM
Williams needs to nail some of those

SquirrelGrip
24-02-2021, 11:59 AM
Some observations from the 1st quarter:

- Stefan Martin is a valuable pickup. Winning hitouts is something I'm not used to and when we then give it to Bont to kick inside 50 - wow!
- the umpires have focused so much on yelling "Stand" over summer, I think they've forgotten all the other rules.
- I agree with other posters, McNeill looks a good size and moves well.
- Good to have Lin Jong back
- Lipinksi getting a few touches
- Crozier looks fitter, and flying for his marks
- barely sighted Bailey Smith
- If Bruce can clunk one a quarter like that, that's a positive
- Tall defence is sketchy

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 12:01 PM
West to English at the top of the square.

I think I need a private moment.

The Bulldogs Bite
I'm already drooling over this Martin/English combo.

We look far more competitive in the ruck and English is DEADLY around the ground and up forward.

soupman
English has been great.

Happy Days
24-02-2021, 12:02 PM
Okay really need English to get thrown to the ground by McEvoy or something to temper my expectations here. He looks incredible.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:02 PM
Timmy in everything so far.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 12:03 PM
Quarter time:

WB 4. 5. 29

Hawks 1.1 7

Mofra
24-02-2021, 12:03 PM
English looking fantastic. The second ruck/dangerous forward role is a very hard one to fill, he's killing it.
Martin holding his ground at boundary throw ins, we haven't seen that from a Bulldogs ruck for a few years.
Caleb Daniel is a freak, Bailey Williams good. Crozier fantastic.
Gardner had some good contests and kicked well.
West really wants a round 1 spot.

Bulldog4life
24-02-2021, 12:06 PM

Good quality on my pc.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:06 PM
The 'English is a second ruck' crew enjoyed that quarter.

Bulldog4life
24-02-2021, 12:08 PM
Entry to FWD 50 hasn't improved

First praccy match.

The Pie Man
24-02-2021, 12:08 PM
The 'English is a second ruck' crew enjoyed that quarter.

Absolutely! :)

Bulldog4life
24-02-2021, 12:09 PM
To be fair, if you can’t get use these sort of games to get some hours into inexperienced commentators you’ll never replace Brian Taylor...

One is a doggie supporter. Like it.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:10 PM
Absolutely! :)

I think it works well with one other big man. Not sure how the dynamic works if you add Naughton too. We shall see.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:15 PM
Way too easy transitioning from defence.

Our inside 50s making Hartigan look like 2014 Lake.

Mantis
24-02-2021, 12:15 PM
I think it works well with one other big man. Not sure how the dynamic works if you add Naughton too. We shall see.

Given Naughton is so good on the ground you can probably play the extra tall.. but it means our smalls & mid sized forwards need to carry the load defensively which isn't a strength for that group.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Very average start to the quarter. Just burning forward entries and getting hurt on the turn over.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 12:20 PM
Given Naughton is so good on the ground you can probably play the extra tall.. but it means our smalls & mid sized forwards need to carry the load defensively which isn't a strength for that group.

One of our missing ingredients, ie a quick small forward who can apply pressure.

Mofra
24-02-2021, 12:21 PM
For all people talk of his limitations, Mitch Wallis is absolutely elite at holding position and keeping his feet.
Just nabbed a goal because of it.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2021, 12:23 PM
The one thing that concerns me from the game is still our back six.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:23 PM
Dunks at full back, nice.

Mofra
24-02-2021, 12:24 PM
The one thing that concerns me from the game is still our back six.
Dunkley was on O'Brien then, so some weird reason.
Is that Scott playing in the backline at times or is he on the wing then rolling back?

bornadog
24-02-2021, 12:25 PM
Have they mentioned if there is any wind out there?

soupman
24-02-2021, 12:26 PM
Scott appears to be playing as a small accountable defender

bornadog
24-02-2021, 12:26 PM
Great goal from Dale

1eyedog
24-02-2021, 12:27 PM
Bailey Dale is looking really good. Is he out of contract this year? If he is it could be a big year.

I'm sure there's a thread for that...

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:27 PM
Libba looking cherry ripe. Hands are so so good.

1eyedog
24-02-2021, 12:28 PM

2 goal breeze to the left of screen

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 12:29 PM

Very slight to left of screen I believe but nothing huge.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:29 PM
English such a menace up forward.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:30 PM
Downie getting the better of Jong so far.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 12:31 PM
Lin Jong getting a bit of the ball

Happy Days
24-02-2021, 12:32 PM
Downie looks to be a serious player for them. So strong over the ball and overhead already.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2021, 12:33 PM
Class from Breust.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:33 PM
Breust just gave Scott a lesson.

Mofra
24-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Bont rusty, bad few minutes.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Jong just makes too many mistakes.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 12:36 PM
Jong just makes too many mistakes.

Tries to hurry his disposal without thinking

The Underdog
Bont’s ball use this quarter has been awful.

Terrible handball from Jong too to turn a strong forward move into a turnover and putting the backline under pressure.
Pretty awful quarter this one.

comrade
Tries to hurry his disposal without thinking

Been the same for 5+ years. Will never change.

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 12:37 PM
All of our worst tendencies to refer pressure to teammates with handball showing up this quarter

comrade
Bont’s ball use this quarter has been awful.

Terrible handball from Jong too to turn a strong forward move into a turnover and putting the backline under pressure.
Pretty awful quarter this one.

Trying to be way too cute with handballs under pressure.

bornadog
Sloppy disposal by quite a few players

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:40 PM
What a horrible 10 minutes of football.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2021, 12:41 PM
Really poor quarter. First game, but the same concerns of previous years is in full effect right now.

Beautiful movement by McNeil though.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 12:41 PM
Half Time

WB 7.7 49

Hawks 7.3 45

Not a good quarter for Dogs

Mofra
24-02-2021, 12:42 PM
Caleb Daniel is our reigning B&F and... seems to have gotten better

The Underdog
Shows we can still get destroyed in transition if we don’t look after the footy. So that stays consistent.

comrade
Really poor quarter. First game, but the same concerns of previous years is in full effect right now.

Beautiful movement by McNeil though.

I like the English/Martin combo but it’s the same old problems. Poor entries/forward set up, defenders getting caught out of possession.

Grantysghost
24-02-2021, 12:43 PM
McNeil does look good - natural evasive skills are sublime. We seem to have run ourselves into trouble a few times from the brief parts I have seen, Martin looks a winner. Bont seems to be getting caught a lot?

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:47 PM
Keath should not be getting beaten in the air like that.

comrade
24-02-2021, 12:49 PM
That quarter reminded me of 2020. One bad patch of footy blows us away.

We really need to find a way to stay in games for 4 quarters.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2021, 12:51 PM
That quarter reminded me of 2020. One bad patch of footy blows us away.

We really need to find a way to stay in games for 4 quarters.

It's difficult to be 'on' for 4 quarters - rarely happens - but our inability to just stay afloat is really bad. This is part structure/set-up, part personnel.

Getting caught out the back and in overlap is frustrating to watch, but our defenders really struggle to actually defend too which is worrying.

Mofra
24-02-2021, 12:58 PM
McNeill our fastest!

bornadog
24-02-2021, 12:58 PM
It's difficult to be 'on' for 4 quarters - rarely happens - but our inability to just stay afloat is really bad. This is part structure/set-up, part personnel.

Getting caught out the back and in overlap is frustrating to watch, but our defenders really struggle to actually defend too which is worrying.

The biggest contribution is bad disposal. We need to make every possession count.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 01:01 PM
Bailey Smith is our next A grader

Grantysghost
24-02-2021, 01:01 PM
Bailey Smith is our next A grader

On the wing according to Easton !

bornadog
24-02-2021, 01:03 PM
On the wing according to Easton !

We new someone had to be more outside

comrade
24-02-2021, 01:05 PM
Bont looks absolutely hulking.

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 01:06 PM

Still a 50/50 proposition in front of goal

bornadog

Got to nail those shots

Grantysghost
We new someone had to be more outside

Yep it makes a lot of sense. Hopefully Marcus can get his goal kicking sorted!

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 01:08 PM
Lachie McNeill fan club forms here.

comrade
24-02-2021, 01:08 PM
Pretty unimpressed by Keath so far.

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 01:09 PM
Scott looks VFLish

Mofra
Poor Scott, Breust is a tough match up for him

jeemak
Most of our malaise is disposal and decision making from what I can see, which isn't unexpected at this time of the year. Need to sharpen up.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 01:10 PM
Poor defence to not punch that clear

jeemak
24-02-2021, 01:11 PM
Poor Scott, Breust is a tough match up for him

Thought Bailey Williams was really poor there. It was always going to Breust and he should have gotten there.

comrade
24-02-2021, 01:11 PM
Dunkley just munted the worst 10 metre kick I've ever seen.

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 01:12 PM
Dunkley just munted the worst 10 metre kick I've ever seen.

Maybe he’s not worth 2 1sts? :)

Happy Days
24-02-2021, 01:12 PM
Pretty unimpressed by Keath so far.

Was just coming to say this. He's gotten lost playing in front a few times and just went to ground pretty disappointingly that should've cost us a goal a moment ago.

Axe Man
24-02-2021, 01:13 PM
Ground ball win by West then was insane.

The Bulldogs Bite
Great play West. Body over the ball. Looks strong and fit.

Happy Days
What an effort from West to crack that contested situation open and give us a clear run inside 50.

comrade
Maybe he’s not worth 2 1sts? :)

Shhh. Don't tell Dodo.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 01:14 PM
Nice goal Bruce

The Underdog
Bruce with some elite level “pretending to look for teammates there”. Top kick though.

Happy Days
Bruce hasn't done a ton but he's flushing his set shots. That would've gone 60m easily.

Grantysghost
Lachie McNeill fan club forms here.

+1. In fact I'll microwave my membership if he's not in the rd 1 side :cool: He can be my new avatar too... Totally not getting carried away (best rookie pick ever).

jeemak
That was really good from West, a lot like his Dad in that play.

The Underdog
Shhh. Don't tell Dodo.

Followed up with an awful tackling attempt. Tanking his value?

hujsh
24-02-2021, 01:15 PM
+1. In fact I'll microwave my membership if he's not in the rd 1 side :cool: He can be my new avatar too... Totally not getting carried away (best rookie pick ever).

Not gonna lie... jealous of that avatar

The Underdog
24-02-2021, 01:15 PM

M Boyd with pace :)

comrade
24-02-2021, 01:16 PM
Riley West looking very good.

comrade
24-02-2021, 01:17 PM
Bont's disposal has been sub par today. Hopefully just blowing out the cobwebs.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 01:21 PM
Again taking the foot off the peddle in dying stages of quarter

comrade
24-02-2021, 01:22 PM
Really poor from JJ in that marking contest.

Axe Man
Was that 50 because the player ran away from the mark moments after the free was paid?

Edit: The earlier one, not the Caleb one which was ridiculous.

bornadog
Bullshit 50

Happy Days
Umps could probably ease off on the 50m penalties in the training run.

comrade
24-02-2021, 01:23 PM
Love these 10 minute patches of absolute dross. Brings back memories of 2020.

jeemak
24-02-2021, 01:23 PM
Wowsers, if they're the fifties they're paying this year it's going to be frustrating.

comrade
24-02-2021, 01:24 PM
Our ball movement is non existent at the moment.

bornadog
24-02-2021, 01:25 PM
3qrt Time

WB: 11.9. 75

Hawks: 10.5 65

Grantysghost
24-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Martin resting forward hmm. Not sure that's something I want to see too often with his goal kicking. I guess no Naughton....but it does beg the question as I think others have asked; how will the rotations of English and Martin work?

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2021, 01:28 PM
As usual, there's not a whole lot to take out of these games so far. Still seem to be getting caught flat footed and out of position on transition with ease. Defenders still struggling to defend. Ball use breaking down when entering F50.

- English/Martin combo looks much, much better. Thank god we finally have backup.
- McNeil looks like a very good find. Putting himself in the frame for R1.
- West looks dangerous, fit and strong.