BOG Williams

bornadog
06-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Dogs by 16
First Goal Naughton
BOG Macrae - loves Ballarat.

comrade
07-04-2021, 08:13 PM
If we were able to handle a forward line featuring Kennedy, Darling, Allen & Ryan, we should be ok with Hipwood, Daniher and Cameron. Yeah?

Happy Days
07-04-2021, 08:47 PM
If we were able to handle a forward line featuring Kennedy, Darling, Allen & Ryan, we should be ok with Hipwood, Daniher and Cameron. Yeah?

Should be, but that Lions forward line is far more enigmatic than the Eagles one and no amount of match up data or thought could accurately predict if they're going to torch us or spend the whole game sitting on the boundary fencing.

DOG GOD
07-04-2021, 09:55 PM

Should be...

Where those WC fwds are fairly good set shots, the Lions fwds in particular Daniher and Hipwood can be all over the place. What we don’t want to see is Daniher kicking 4.1 and hipwood 3.0 and Cameron 3.0

westdog54
07-04-2021, 11:05 PM
Dogs by 18
First goal Treloar
BOG Bont

comrade
07-04-2021, 11:06 PM
Interesting to note that the last time we played Brisbane in Ballarat (2019) we had the likes of Suckling, Wallis, McLean, Cordy, Hayes, Trengove (as sole ruck), Gowers, Lloyd, Lachie Young and Fletcher Roberts all playing.

This time around, we're replacing them with the likes of Bruce, Martin, Vandermeer, English, Keath, Duryea, Treloar, Lipinski, Dale and Williams so I feel we're much stronger this time around.

jeemak
08-04-2021, 12:13 AM

Should be, but that Lions forward line is far more enigmatic than the Eagles one and no amount of match up data or thought could accurately predict if they're going to torch us or spend the whole game sitting on the boundary fencing.

I'm not so worried about the forwards given the likely conditions and their penchant for spraying the ball all over the place, providing we can limit the supply.

What I am worried about is our midfield being given a substantial punch in the undies by a dedicated Brisbane outfit trying to generate some momentum in a start to the season in which they might feel the cards have fallen against them and riding high after an after the siren win last week.

We should be fresh in lieu of our eight day break, as should they. Any issues for us will be between the ears and I am looking for the likes of Bontempelli, Dunkley and Macrae to really stamp their authority around the contest early on.

jeemak
08-04-2021, 12:24 AM
Interesting to note that the last time we played Brisbane in Ballarat (2019) we had the likes of Suckling, Wallis, McLean, Cordy, Hayes, Trengove (as sole ruck), Gowers, Lloyd, Lachie Young and Fletcher Roberts all playing.

This time around, we're replacing them with the likes of Bruce, Martin, Vandermeer, English, Keath, Duryea, Treloar, Lipinski, Dale and Williams so I feel we're much stronger this time around.

Certainly seems a bit slicker and dangerous than 2019s lot.

boydogs
08-04-2021, 01:25 AM

We won in 2019, some of the names you mentioned played well

dog town
08-04-2021, 06:07 AM
The last time we played them it was pretty much decided by scores from centre clearances. Oscar had a career high in hit outs to advantage and our bigger mids couldn’t stop their more agile mids running away with easy clearances.

comrade
08-04-2021, 09:10 AM
We won in 2019, some of the names you mentioned played well

Yeah, Lloyd, Suckling and Trengove were particularly good that day. The 22 running out in 2021 is definitely stronger though.

SquirrelGrip
08-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Dogs by 44
First goal English
BOG Macrae

bornadog
08-04-2021, 09:59 AM
What I am worried about is our midfield being given a substantial punch in the undies by a dedicated Brisbane outfit trying to generate some momentum in a start to the season in which they might feel the cards have fallen against them and riding high after an after the siren win last week.

They need to stop a few guys in our midfield.

Macrae loves playing in Ballarat:

His stats:

2019 36, 28
2018, 40,36
2017, 41

The 28 was against Brissie last time, but Dunks took over with 36 disposals and 3 Brownlow votes.

jeemak
08-04-2021, 10:02 AM
The last time we played them it was pretty much decided by scores from centre clearances. Oscar had a career high in hit outs to advantage and our bigger mids couldn’t stop their more agile mids running away with easy clearances.

Couldn't or wouldn't stop them?

bornadog
08-04-2021, 10:06 AM

Centre clearances were 11 each that day but around the ground 40 to 28.

Bulldog4life
08-04-2021, 10:12 AM
Dogs by 26
First Goal Naughton
BOG Macrae

Eastdog
08-04-2021, 10:18 AM
Margin: Dogs by 14 points
First goal: Libba
Best on ground: Macrae

Mofra
08-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Will this be the first time in 90 games that we win the hitouts?
We have Martin and English, Brissie will shoehorn a rookie and a NEAFL KPD as back-up.

Bulldog4life
08-04-2021, 10:26 AM
Will this be the first time in 90 games that we win the hitouts?
We have Martin and English, Brissie will shoehorn a rookie and a NEAFL KPD as back-up.

Oscar McInerney is doing a test later in the week in Ballarat.

DOG GOD
08-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Is anyone worried that after last weeks romp, we may not turn up 100% mentally from the first bounce and Bris might just get a start they we may not be able to peg back ? One thing, is they will be the hunters, we the hunted. Robinson will lead the way with the aggression. I just hope the first 5-10 mins show we have turned up.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2021, 11:37 AM
Is anyone worried that after last weeks romp, we may not turn up 100% mentally from the first bounce and Bris might just get a start they we may not be able to peg back ? One thing, is they will be the hunters, we the hunted. Robinson will lead the way with the aggression. I just hope the first 5-10 mins show we have turned up.

Not really. I was more cautious about a half hearted performance last week. I think it's obvious this group has matured a lot. We WANT to win.

It doesn't mean we WILL win - Brisbane are a good side - but if we play to our strengths and play well I think we're a better side.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2021, 11:42 AM
Dogs by 21
First goal Juice
BOG Macrae

I'm expecting a tough game. Brisbane have been building and will set themselves for us. It's another good test for our group but I have full confidence in our side at the moment. We're confident and craving success, we need to be mindful of their mids and their 3 forwards but I feel we are much stronger around the contest than they are.

Looking forward to seeing how our mids go against another quality group. They've been pretty flawless so far.

Grantysghost
08-04-2021, 12:36 PM
Dogs by 5 (expecting a close game).
First goal : McNeil (I'm telling you it will happen eventually)
BOG : Bontempelli

Eastdog
08-04-2021, 12:46 PM
For woofers not heading to Ballarat what would be the ideal pub in the inner west to watch the game as I’m thinking of watching there.

dog town
08-04-2021, 04:39 PM
Centre clearances were 11 each that day but around the ground 40 to 28. Scores from clearances is the key stat. They kicked 3 goals from centre bounces in the second qtr alone. All our mids stats looked fine but we conceded easy clearance/stoppage losses. Go back and watch Q2 that’s where we lost it.

jeemak
08-04-2021, 05:17 PM
Scores from clearances is the key stat. They kicked 3 goals from centre bounces in the second qtr alone. All our mids stats looked fine but we conceded easy clearance/stoppage losses. Go back and watch Q2 that’s where we lost it.

Yes, absolutely. We didn't adjust or show intent to defend when we should have during that burst.

bornadog
08-04-2021, 05:40 PM
Scores from clearances is the key stat. They kicked 3 goals from centre bounces in the second qtr alone. All our mids stats looked fine but we conceded easy clearance/stoppage losses. Go back and watch Q2 that’s where we lost it.

My apologies DT, I was thinking last time in Ballarat and not last year. You are absolutely right, we did get smashed in the middle 18 to 10

azabob
08-04-2021, 06:30 PM
For woofers not heading to Ballarat what would be the ideal pub in the inner west to watch the game as I’m thinking of watching there.

Twodogs house.

SonofScray
08-04-2021, 06:33 PM
I suspect we’ll give Brisbane plenty of work to do quelling the midfield and some emerging threats in our F50, though the disruption to the backline concerns me a great deal.

I’m not 100% sold on Gardy, but he was playing a heap of minutes which in itself is a factor that the coaches need to adjust for, and he was showing signs of being pretty good as a meat and potatoes spoiling key back.Not sure we get the same “sum is greater than his parts” effect by any of the possible replacements. No one is quite like for like.

Think the safe bet is Cordy, but I am more curious about seeing what Lewis can do.

Testekill
08-04-2021, 07:10 PM
I’m not 100% sold on Gardy, but he was playing a heap of minutes which in itself is a factor that the coaches need to adjust for, and he was showing signs of being pretty good as a meat and potatoes spoiling key back.Not sure we get the same “sum is greater than his parts” effect by any of the possible replacements. No one is quite like for like.

Think the safe bet is Cordy, but I am more curious about seeing what Lewis can do.

The minutes played stat is actually something I have concerns about in regards to replacing him. We need his replacement to be able to play big minutes and I'm not sure that Cordy or Young will be able to.

ratsmac
09-04-2021, 02:47 AM
Last time we played them Gardner gave away a few free kicks to Hipwood who kicked 5 that day. From memory the frees were mostly all there too. No Gardner may not be such a bad thing as Hipwood had Gardner a little bit spooked. I'm still a little concerned with Cordy and Young as the only replacements we really have.
I do remember McInerney feeding their mids with some good ruck work so a bonus if he doesn't play. Although Stef might have a point to prove against his old apprentice and could be fun to watch. I betting Stef will be up and about for this game wanting to show them he has plenty left in the tank.
I'm hoping that Robinson lines up on Bazlenka. These two both love a bit of lip and neither will take a backward step. Baz is in pretty good touch at the minute and l'd love to see him give Robinson a bath.

FrediKanoute
09-04-2021, 03:29 AM
Result: Brissy by 7 pts - good team that we struggle against
1st Goal: Danihar
BOG: Neale - he is always BOG v us regardless of who he plays for

1eyedog
09-04-2021, 08:57 AM

Wash your mouth out and go and sit in the naughty corner.

Topdog
09-04-2021, 09:53 AM
Macrae loves playing in Ballarat:

His stats:

2019 36, 28
2018, 40,36
2017, 41

Is there a ground that Macrae doesnt love?

Axe Man
09-04-2021, 09:58 AM

We struggle against them at the Gabba, not in Victoria.

Over the past 10 seasons they have only beaten us twice in Victoria, the last in 2014. Over the same period we have only beaten them once in Queensland, in 2017. The last 5 games have all been decided by 4 goals or less. It all points to us in a tight contest (fingers crossed).

Axe Man
09-04-2021, 10:10 AM
Is there a ground that Macrae doesnt love?

Football Park - only averages 16 possessions per game there.*

*Played 1 game there

Bulldog Joe
09-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Wash your mouth out and go and sit in the naughty corner.

I'm thinking Naughty might just be the answer to Brisbane.:)

mjp
09-04-2021, 02:30 PM

Surely - SURELY - we will tag Neale. We have 1000 mids and someone needs to sacrifice tomorrow and shut him down.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-04-2021, 02:31 PM
Frigid start to Saturday in Ballarat: 4^C haha.
Windy and switching on the exposed oval.
Play down the grandstand side I say.
Showers.
Good scenario for the clash.

comrade
09-04-2021, 02:43 PM
Surely - SURELY - we will tag Neale. We have 1000 mids and someone needs to sacrifice tomorrow and shut him down.

Bevo mentioned this in his presser, name checked Libba.

Whispers are his back is pretty crook, so that combined with a tag should slow him down enough for us to get an advantage through the middle. Hopefully.

Mantis
09-04-2021, 03:07 PM

Given Neale's current state (sore back) are we more concerned with him or McCluggage?

Grantysghost
09-04-2021, 03:11 PM
Frigid start to Sunday in Ballarat: 4^C haha.
Showers unlikely in arvo.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7ZeCHGCq8vJgj4GY/giphy.gif

Happy Days
09-04-2021, 03:14 PM
Libba is a natural fit but also the actual literal best clearance player in the AFL and in the form of his life. In a game likely to be one long clearance situation, can’t someone else do it?

Geelong had a ton of success with a defender doing the job, maybe someone like Duryea could give it a crack? Or maybe we just go head to head and try to beat them by being better (which we are)?

comrade
09-04-2021, 03:20 PM
Libba is a natural fit but also the actual literal best clearance player in the AFL and in the form of his life. In a game likely to be one long clearance situation, can’t someone else do it?

Geelong had a ton of success with a defender doing the job, maybe someone like Duryea could give it a crack? Or maybe we just go head to head and try to beat them by being better (which we are)?

Libba can hunt the ball at stoppage, but once it is out, he sticks in Neale's back pocket (who will likely go to every stoppage anyway). Works fine, imo.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-04-2021, 03:25 PM
Should we bring Jong in to play this role? The conditions suit him too. I'd bring him in and leave Lipinski out. The conditions don't suit Pat at all.

comrade
09-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Should we bring Jong in to play this role? The conditions suit him too. I'd bring him in and leave Lipinski out. The conditions don't suit Pat at all.

Good suggestion. He can smash in to Mitch Robinson every time that neanderthal tries to scrag Bont.

bornadog
09-04-2021, 04:42 PM
Lions still some injury issues. read here (https://www.afl.com.au/news/580015)

Eastdog
09-04-2021, 05:55 PM
Twodogs house.

Planning to go to the Railway Hotel in Yarraville to watch the match not too far from Twodogs house :D

Called them up and they said they will have the game on with the sound up.

comrade
09-04-2021, 06:10 PM
Planning to go to the Railway Hotel in Yarraville to watch the match not too far from Twodogs house :D

I've watched interstate games there and it was jam packed with Doggies fans. Great atmosphere.

I expect a thorough review of their Chicken Parma.

bornadog
09-04-2021, 06:15 PM

Who Two dogs will? :D:D

HOSE B ROMERO
09-04-2021, 06:56 PM
Frigid start to Saturday in Ballarat: 4^C haha.
Showers.

We'll be standing in the outer so hopefully not. visibility may not be that great given the cloud cover.
Bring it on i say.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-04-2021, 06:57 PM
Dogs by 15

first goal: Banjo

bog: Libba

comrade
09-04-2021, 07:26 PM
Lipinski to replace Gardner in the 22.

No other changes.

Going small down back.

Testekill
09-04-2021, 07:29 PM
Really hate the idea of not bringing in a KPP to replace Gardner, they have two dudes over 200cms in their forward line while we go in with one defender over 190.

divvydan
09-04-2021, 07:30 PM
Weather tomorrow is Showers and 15 degrees in Ballarat. So it'll be a little cold and possibly wet but not as bad as Ballarat can be.

whythelongface
09-04-2021, 07:31 PM
Lipinski to replace Gardner in the 22.

No other changes.

Going small down back.

Interesting especially against Hipwood and Daniher. Thinking Naughton will go back at some stages to negate their influence.

comrade
09-04-2021, 07:31 PM
Really hate the idea of not bringing in a KPP to replace Gardner, they have two dudes over 200cms in their forward line while we go in with one defender over 190.

Naughton to go back if they get a hold of us?

Testekill
09-04-2021, 07:33 PM
Naughton to go back if they get a hold of us?

Probably yes. It's just that it seems to be putting far too much hope on it being wet and windy tomorrow when it's just forecast for showers.

Rocket Science
09-04-2021, 07:35 PM
To be expected. You'd be stiff to get nudged out of a side that kicked a team record score.

Berry's a pretty good 'in' for the other mob.

Curious to see who of Naughts, Bruce or Bont terrorises The Spec. Maybe they can take turns.

Happy Days
09-04-2021, 07:40 PM
Wood can take Hipwood. He’s almost certainly stronger than him and it’s not like we’re talking about some amazing aerialist here.

At first I was taken aback but looking at the teams on paper it’s not so jarring to go in small.

comrade
09-04-2021, 07:45 PM
Probably yes. It's just that it seems to be putting far too much hope on it being wet and windy tomorrow when it's just forecast for showers.

Young and Cordy are emergencies. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if there was a late change if conditions don’t look too bad.

comrade
09-04-2021, 08:00 PM
Neale is battling a back injury, big O is underdone, Berry and Gardiner are coming straight in after an injury lay off. Reckon we're a chance of running the Lions off their feet tomorrow.

Grantysghost
09-04-2021, 08:28 PM
Maybe the conditions considered. Not sure it's going to be a great day for talls.

EasternWest
09-04-2021, 08:32 PM
Wood can take Hipwood. He’s almost certainly stronger than him and it’s not like we’re talking about some amazing aerialist here.

At first I was taken aback but looking at the teams on paper it’s not so jarring to go in small.

That's crazy enough to work.

FrediKanoute
09-04-2021, 11:35 PM
Old adage though is that a tall is still a tall at the end of the day and it is close and you need a mark that tall will give it to you.

I think we are unbalanced and this is Bevo being cute again. Surely, both Young and Cordy are mobile enough to play in the conditions that are mooted to be tomorrow? Personally one of JJ/Lippa/Wood had to miss and this is again a selection that I think will come back to bite us. I don't rate Danihar and Hipwood is hot and cold, but both have the ability to get on the end of a footy especially if they are playing on undersized defenders.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 02:10 AM
Don't care how or why, we just have to find a way to win this game.
Conditions may not allow it to be pretty. Don't care. Just win baby!

comrade
10-04-2021, 09:03 AM
Bit of drizzle here but nothing major. No rain forecast until after the game. I hope there is a late change.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 09:05 AM
Old adage though is that a tall is still a tall at the end of the day and it is close and you need a mark that tall will give it to you.

I think we are unbalanced and this is Bevo being cute again. Surely, both Young and Cordy are mobile enough to play in the conditions that are mooted to be tomorrow? Personally one of JJ/Lippa/Wood had to miss and this is again a selection that I think will come back to bite us. I don't rate Danihar and Hipwood is hot and cold, but both have the ability to get on the end of a footy especially if they are playing on undersized defenders.

If I see Daniher or Hipwood out marking Wood or Williams in the goal square, I will literally lose my SH*T.

Hotdog60
10-04-2021, 09:12 AM
If I see Daniher or Hipwood out marking Wood or Williams in the goal square, I will literally lose my SH*T.

As opposed to out marking Young and Cordy....... :)

azabob
10-04-2021, 09:18 AM

So out of interest, will it be worse than you going off tap during the last few weeks?

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 09:27 AM
So out of interest, will it be worse than you going off tap during the last few weeks?
Maybe. I go off just as much as others.
Let’s just see what today brings, ok.

GVGjr
10-04-2021, 09:42 AM
Don't care how or why, we just have to find a way to win this game.
Conditions may not allow it to be pretty. Don't care. Just win baby!

Yep, any win will be a good win. Brisbane have plenty of good players, we will have to play well to beat them.

1eyedog
10-04-2021, 09:51 AM
Bit of drizzle here but nothing major. No rain forecast until after the game. I hope there is a late change.

Any wind?

comrade
10-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Any wind?

A bit but not gusting.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Not only is it going to won out of the middle, but it could well be the team that kicks the straightest, wins. Bris are known for probably being worse than anyone for the amount of points they kick. Let’s hope today, Daniher and Hipwood can’t kick straight.

Testekill
10-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Sounds like it's been pretty wet so far this morning in Ballarat based on a few locals from Bigfooty.

comrade
10-04-2021, 11:13 AM
Sounds like it's been pretty wet so far this morning in Ballarat based on a few locals from Bigfooty.

It really isn't. I'm 4 mins tops from Mars Stadium and there's been some drizzle which has now stopped so the ground will be wet but if it stays like this until game time, shouldn't be too slippery. There's not much wind around either and it's pretty mild for an overcast autumn day here.

ratsmac
10-04-2021, 11:28 AM
We win it in the middle we win the match. I'd still prefer a tall to come in as insurance against Daniher and Hipwood but it seems we a plan to keep it away from them.

Dogs by 18
First goal- Bruce -keep em coming big fella.
BOG- Treloar- he's learning the bulldog way. I'm liking him on the end of some of those handball chains!

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 11:33 AM
It really isn't. I'm 4 mins tops from Mars Stadium and there's been some drizzle which has now stopped so the ground will be wet but if it stays like this until game time, shouldn't be too slippery. There's not much wind around either and it's pretty mild for an overcast autumn day here.

It's quite windy out my way (nw of city). Gusty from SW.

Is it the same in the rat?

comrade
10-04-2021, 11:44 AM
It's quite windy out my way (nw of city). Gusty from SW.

Is it the same in the rat?

Wind is starting to pick up.

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Wind is starting to pick up.

I think Daniher and Hipwood the latter especially (Daniher not bad on ground) will struggle in these conditions.
Libba should have a field day as will Dunks and Macrae.

comrade
10-04-2021, 11:55 AM
I think Daniher and Hipwood the latter especially (Daniher not bad on ground) will struggle in these conditions.
Libba should have a field day as will Dunks and Macrae.

Some more rain is coming through too.

comrade
10-04-2021, 11:59 AM
Lol it has just turned savage

Testekill
10-04-2021, 12:03 PM
I imagine that Hipwood will struggle on a wet deck, he's not a physical player to begin with. Would have preferred having Cordy to really put some physical pressure on him but Wood will suffice.

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 12:12 PM
Lol it has just turned savage

Awesome! Now where's my poncho.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-04-2021, 12:45 PM
Awesome! Now where's my poncho.
Balaclava, long johns and gloves.
Like playing golf in Scotland.

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 01:01 PM
Balaclava, long johns and gloves.
Like playing golf in Scotland.

Oh nice I played at Castle Douglas the home of Black Douglas and possibly killed a badger.

Jeanette54
10-04-2021, 01:03 PM
Oh nice I played at Castle Douglas the home of Black Douglas and possibly killed a badger.

Is Badger just Scottish for an eagle ????

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 01:08 PM
Is Badger just Scottish for an eagle ????

Haha. Triple bogey?

BornInDroopSt'54
10-04-2021, 01:28 PM
I played Fort William, Loch Lomond in autumn wearing the above, shutting gates across the fairways and herding sheep off the greens haha.
Go Dogs!

The Adelaide Connection
10-04-2021, 01:39 PM
I am going to predict exact shots on goal from both teams (despite more I50’s to us) and the game coming down to who has the better ledger.

Dogs by 19
BOG- Libber
First Goal- English

The Underdog
10-04-2021, 01:46 PM
Lewis Young playing. Lipinski the sub

Mantis
10-04-2021, 01:46 PM
Late change - Lewis Young in for Lipinski.

Lipinski is the sub.

comrade
10-04-2021, 01:54 PM
Late change - Lewis Young in for Lipinski.

Lipinski is the sub.

Surprised Bevo flinched and brought the extra tall in but I don't mind getting a game into Young straight away.

ratsmac
10-04-2021, 01:56 PM
Surely McNeil or Scott would be better sub options. I don't understand Bevo sometimes

Rocco Jones
10-04-2021, 01:58 PM
Surely McNeil or Scott would be better sub options. I don't understand Bevo sometimes

I think he sees those pair as more role players and Lippa as the next best mid in a side stacked with them

Topdog
10-04-2021, 02:00 PM

They have a very specific role which Lip hasn't shown that he can play

bornadog
10-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Lewis Young playing. Lipinski the sub
Hope he can hit a target unlike in pregame warm up

ratsmac
They have a very specific role which Lip hasn't shown that he can play

They must have and must be doing it well enough.

GVGjr
Dogs by 16 points in the Trent Bartlett cup.
Macrae BOG
Vandermeer first goal

Testekill
10-04-2021, 02:11 PM
It's up to Lewy from here, he's got a couple of weeks to prove why he belongs on the list and no Gardner means that we need a tall defender.

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 02:15 PM
The Caesar video just won the internet.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 02:16 PM
I like the lew young inclusion. Now it’s his time to shine.

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 02:16 PM

McNeil ready to explode. Could be today... These feel like his conditions.
Actually as I left the house my wife said what are the conditions?
I said.
McNeil.....McNeil.

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Mega wind to the northern goals. Probably 3 goals.

bornadog
10-04-2021, 02:19 PM
Who goes to Cameron? Wood?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 02:20 PM
Dogs by 9 points.
Macrae BOG
Bont 1st goal.

Rocket Science
10-04-2021, 02:25 PM
With the Young inclusion it's official, Zaine's been 'Trengoved'.

ratsmac
10-04-2021, 02:29 PM
With the Young inclusion it's official, Zaine's been 'Trengoved'.

Best he grow a beard to make it official

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 02:30 PM
Spotted in the wild.

https://i.postimg.cc/Qt7LTNph/20210410-132746.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

divvydan
10-04-2021, 02:32 PM
Looking at the satellite image of the ground, it's quite weird. Seems to be a SW to NE orientation, so for everyone watching on TV, it should be the left hand side that's the scoring end.

EasternWest
10-04-2021, 02:40 PM
We should definitely keep kicking it straight to Gardner.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 02:46 PM
Attack on the ball looks good. Just gotta stop those easy over the back goals. Marking is solid.

The Underdog
10-04-2021, 02:53 PM
Lewis Young is good in the air, but might be “handball only”

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 02:55 PM
Lewis Young is good in the air, but might be “handball only”

He’s had a few floaters, but getting to good positions.

hujsh
10-04-2021, 03:03 PM
English just too good in the air for them at the moment

bulldogtragic
10-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Vandeermeer winning most 50s given away this year?

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Didn’t need that, but really impressed with the marking of the dogs, especially English and naughton.

Rocket Science
10-04-2021, 03:05 PM
Yeah the man on the mark rule's a real ornament to the game.

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Looking at the satellite image of the ground, it's quite weird. Seems to be a SW to NE orientation, so for everyone watching on TV, it should be the left hand side that's the scoring end.

From memory the northern goals that the lions are kicking to are left of screen.
Its a gusty wind its actually relaxed a bit since the start but it certainly favoured Brisbane.
Can't get used to the hill and beers. Over and out.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 03:07 PM
Vanda having a few brain fades. Talls doing well, fwd and back. Our attack on the ball is right where it needs to be. I think we are doing well with our field kicking in general, so good signs. Just can’t allow them any easy goals next quarter, and we still have to continue to work hard, even with the breeze.

The Underdog
10-04-2021, 03:07 PM
He’s had a few floaters, but getting to good positions.

He’s been pretty good. Great chase and tackle. Set a helicopter record.

Solid start by the boys. Timmy looks like he’s on for a good one.

ratsmac
10-04-2021, 03:08 PM
Good quarter but bloody hell Vander. It's a shit rule or at least too harsh a penalty

bornadog
10-04-2021, 03:08 PM
The umpiring is deplorable. Holding the balls Joke

1eyedog
10-04-2021, 03:09 PM
Lewy Young first quarter? We all knew he was good, hope he keeps it up.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 03:10 PM
The umpiring is deplorable. Holding the balls Joke

I think there was a period of 3 in the space of 10 seconds that weren’t paid to us.

GVGjr
Vandermeer has conceed 3 X 50 mtr penalties in the last 2 games

ratsmac
Lewy Young first quarter? We all knew he was good, hope he keeps it up.

He's had more touches than Gardner had last year

Mantis
Nice start into the wind... our ability to spread from the contest is hurting Brisbane and big Timmy had an excellent qtr to capitalise.

A similar work rate in this qtr should hopefully open up a handy break at 1/2 time.

Rocket Science
Pleasing start, focused from the first bounce, but Wood needs to stop hatching the footy when looking to exit defensive fifty, it's so at odds with the way we play.

westbulldog
10-04-2021, 03:11 PM
Daniel's tackle on them was holding the ball every day of the week.

bornadog
Lot of players down. Not sure what Bevo is doing. McNeil playing wing,Scott and Hunter fwd Bont just 3 touches

DOG GOD
Lew Young’s greatest strength is his marking. What a difference it makes when you have defenders who can.
Bonti a little quite so hopefully they utilise his kicking prowess with the breeze.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 03:12 PM

He needs to adapt quickly, because not only did he cost us a goal with the 50, but he may've cost us a shot on goal a bit later when he gave away a free when the ball came in 50 and was marked by a Dogs player.

Rocket Science
10-04-2021, 03:12 PM

Yeah but stepping backwards off the mark at half back shouldn't be the sort of transgression that costs you a freakin goal.

bulldogtragic
10-04-2021, 03:19 PM
Love that from Bruce.

chef
10-04-2021, 03:20 PM
Daniel's tackle on them was holding the ball every day of the week.

He dumped him, you just cant do that.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 03:24 PM
They are getting out of their defensive 50 far too easily

Mantis
10-04-2021, 03:27 PM
Not liking our ball use this qtr I50... just lots of bombs!

chef
10-04-2021, 03:29 PM
3 good tall forwards hey, its a doggies supporters wet dream coming true.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Not liking our ball use this qtr I50... just lots of bombs!

Yep, it’s like we are happy to let the wind make it happen. But you still have to be sensible with the skill.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 03:32 PM
I don’t think I’ve seen our team mark the ball so well in these conditions

bornadog
10-04-2021, 03:33 PM
Marking power

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 03:36 PM
An important 4 mins coming up now. Gotta hold.

Topdog
10-04-2021, 03:37 PM
Very good goal by Macrae

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 03:37 PM
Wow macrae actually went for goal.. good stuff. Really playing hard, team football.

hujsh
10-04-2021, 03:38 PM
You know it's a good day when Macrae kicks a goal. Always an omen of good fortune

chef
10-04-2021, 03:42 PM
Good half boys. Keep it up.

Topdog
10-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Good timing for that half time siren

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 03:44 PM
Very good half. Very impressed with the attack on the ball, and especially the marking overall. A break even third should set us up.

Mantis
10-04-2021, 03:45 PM
Not quite the qtr I would’ve liked in style, but nice to build a handy break.... especially as we’ve had a few non-performers. Surely they either get involved or make way for others who will?

The Underdog
10-04-2021, 03:45 PM
Some pretty poor defending that quarter but we got away with it. Felt like our intensity fell off a little that quarter, but overall a solid performance.

westbulldog
10-04-2021, 03:46 PM
He dumped him, you just cant do that.
It was a hard tackle, not a spear/dangerous tackle

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2021, 03:46 PM
Good first half.

Scott and McNeil struggling and a few others are down so it's pleasing we're still playing well.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 03:47 PM
Really enjoying the focus across the team, they don't appear to be showing any signs of getting ahead of themselves, and are applying themselves to the task really well.
Very organised all across the ground and I am really enjoying how dangerous our tall forwards are, as well as how improved the ball coming into them is.

Vred
Hunter earning back some of the points I’ve lost for him over the last few games. Been playing real hard today

Vred
Good first half.

Scott and McNeil struggling and a few others are down so it's pleasing we're still playing well.

Both offer nothing so far, really, really want some rotations into the team and give these guys a run in the vfl.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 03:48 PM
Not quite the qtr I would’ve liked in style, but nice to build a handy break.... especially as we’ve had a few non-performers. Surely they either get involved or make way for others who will?

Maybe if you’re “playing your role, you only have to get 5 possies for the game”?

chef
10-04-2021, 03:48 PM
It was a hard tackle, not a spear/dangerous tackle

It was two motions and he dumped him. Its a free kick at every level of football nowadays.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 03:49 PM
Yeah but stepping backwards off the mark at half back shouldn't be the sort of transgression that costs you a freakin goal.

I agree. But it is, and everyone in the league has to adapt.
And to be fair he moved inboard which is what the rule is designed to stop.

westbulldog
10-04-2021, 03:50 PM
It was two motions and he dumped him. Its a free kick at every level of football nowadays.
lets agree to disagree

Jeanette54
10-04-2021, 03:50 PM
Shame the run and cohesion we had with the ball against the wind was lacking with it. We were so lucky that the Lions sprayed a few in front of goal.

1eyedog
10-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Our connection is off but you expect that in the conditions. Happy with the endeavour though and to be in front by more than the Lions have scored in a half is a good result.

MrMahatma
10-04-2021, 03:53 PM
Gotta be happy with how the scoreboard looks. We should expect them to come at us this qtr so a good defensive effort and we’ll be hard to beat!

bornadog
10-04-2021, 03:56 PM
I agree. But it is, and everyone in the league has to adapt.
And to be fair he moved inboard which is what the rule is designed to stop.

just another stupid rule that does nothing for the game

kruder
10-04-2021, 03:59 PM
Loving Bailey Dale's tackling he has a little venom in them this year been excellent again

bulldogsthru&thru
10-04-2021, 04:00 PM
With the way the wind is, this is a critical quarter. If we can maintain this lead it’ll put us in a good position to close out the game. Have to be switched on.

AshMac
10-04-2021, 04:01 PM
Big quarter. They’re a quality outfit and our lead isn’t big enough to bank

Dry Rot
10-04-2021, 04:01 PM
How is Young going?

Rocket Science
10-04-2021, 04:02 PM
just another stupid rule that does nothing fir the game

It's crazy cool how the man-on-the-mark rule impacts scores from harmless nothings while the awarding/non-awarding of actual in-play infringements remains a total chook raffle.

It should and will be rescinded when sanity prevails at some point.

Mantis
10-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Why don’t we have a ruck for defensive 50 stoppages?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 04:20 PM
Pretty dumb from Libba.

Mantis
That was so soft!!

1eyedog
That was for the one they missed against the Cats.

chef
10-04-2021, 04:23 PM
Got to tackle there

chef
10-04-2021, 04:23 PM
Brisbane coming hard.

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 04:27 PM
We might win by 10 goals

Grantysghost
10-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Naughton in defence! Looks lost.

whythelongface
10-04-2021, 04:30 PM
We might win by 10 goals

Let’s just win!!!

Topdog
10-04-2021, 04:32 PM
Really good qtr there. Only lost it by 4 points through poor kicking.

whythelongface
10-04-2021, 04:34 PM
Keath has been great. Backline overall is working really well.

comrade
Naughton in defence! Looks lost.

Wash your mouth out.

Topdog
Massive game by Timmy. 3.3 with 9 marks and 8 hit outs.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 04:35 PM
Well positioned, just need to finish of the good work.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-04-2021, 04:35 PM
Bring on the last quarter. Brisbane look spent and we will run all over them. I’m with Grantysghost. 10 goal win heading our way.

bornadog
10-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Mids got on top that quarter

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 04:37 PM
Kick straight and we should have a decent win.

The Underdog
10-04-2021, 04:37 PM
Weird arse quarter that. Looked in control until Libba’s bit of stupidity, then became a battle. We look in control again though.
Just need to get through

GVGjr
10-04-2021, 04:38 PM
Timmy is putting on a show

Jeanette54
10-04-2021, 04:38 PM
So glad Treloar is prepared to get his hands dirty, and is not just an outside player.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-04-2021, 04:40 PM
Is Daniel getting tagged?

Topdog
10-04-2021, 04:45 PM
Can't underestimate the difference not having to ruck makes to Dunkley.

GVGjr
10-04-2021, 04:50 PM
Still a bit of work to do.

chef
10-04-2021, 04:50 PM
Hope that Duryea tackle isnt a sliding doors moment

Topdog
10-04-2021, 04:51 PM
Still a bit of work to do.

Lions need to kick 5 unanswered in 11 minutes, game is over unless we literally sleep

hujsh
10-04-2021, 04:56 PM
How is Young going?

Pretty good with his defending and intercepting. Horrible with ball in hand but it hasn't hurt us. Overall looks like he fits in though.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 04:56 PM
We’ve done enough. Certainly set the game up in the first half, where I think our decision making was a lot better than the 2nd half, but definitely take the 4 points.

divvydan
10-04-2021, 04:57 PM
Both teams look exhausted out there, game has opened right up but no one taking advantage.

Topdog
10-04-2021, 04:57 PM
Geez McNeil what was that

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 04:58 PM
The kick didn’t go anywhere the target.

Mantis
10-04-2021, 04:59 PM

Exactly.. had his chance to make an impact after a dirty day and completely fluffed it.

Time to look at someone else.

whythelongface
10-04-2021, 05:08 PM
Great win. Tough conditions.Let Brisbane come back late but the damage had been done.

Mantis
10-04-2021, 05:10 PM
Got our hands dirty and bar a couple of lapses defended the ground extremely well.. really good win against a quality side.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 05:10 PM
Really pleased with that performance. Yep a bit sloppy, but really think that's a good tough win, with lots of our normally prolific mids, playing a team orientated game, lots of tackling and defensive pressure.

chef
10-04-2021, 05:11 PM
Great win. Did it tough.

How good is it having 3 good key forwards.

bornadog
10-04-2021, 05:12 PM
Tough last quarter, but happy to get a win against a team that has been too 4 the last two years

4 in a row

kruder
10-04-2021, 05:13 PM
Good grinding win, the tackling put the final against St kilda to shame.

Well done to Lewis Young good solid performance, its nice to add a defender who is more than capable above his head.

Happy Days
10-04-2021, 05:16 PM
Good win but that was a chore to sit through. I get why we do it but I’d be happy to never play at Ballarat again.

AshMac
10-04-2021, 05:18 PM
Great win dogs! A real arm wrestle against a good opposition. Had chances to ice the game in third and last quarter and didn’t taken them. Great end result.

GVGjr
10-04-2021, 05:32 PM
A solid win against an inconsistent opponent. English was awesome today particularly up forward.
Danjuls prediction of Tim as a key forward has plenty of merit.

Anyone else interested to hear how Easty went watching the game from the pub?

BornInDroopSt'54
10-04-2021, 05:37 PM
Haha Dogs win.
Now looking forward....The Suns...
I enjoyed ABC commentary. That ex Carlton CHF is sharp.

hujsh
10-04-2021, 05:47 PM
A solid win against an inconsistent opponent. English was awesome today particularly up forward.

He looks so much more adept there than he did last year. Kicking straighter too.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2021, 05:51 PM
Ugly, but take the win.

Williams now a target for opponents.

Lew Young good.

Timmy is a key forward who chops out in the ruck.

Our midfield so deep.

GVGjr
10-04-2021, 05:52 PM
He looks so much more adept there than he did last year. Kicking straighter too.

Yep, we arent running him into the ground either so I imagine his confidence is building.

kruder
10-04-2021, 06:13 PM
How the hell did we get Treloar from Collingwood? Absolute professional, speaks well, prepares well and plays well.

Has fit into the side like a glove, we can put to rest the preseason talk around where he plays etc. Thanks again Sammy Power and co. Oh and Collingwood too!

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2021, 06:26 PM
A real solid win.

Lot of players down yet as a team we did enough. Really encouraging signs.

English was dominant, Macrae/Dunks/Treloar huge (10 tackles from Ads and 8 from Dunks).

Impressed by Lew Young, read the flight of the ball almost better than anyone else on the ground.

Still think Scott was very poor and shouldn't be playing and McNeil is a way off it too, so on pure personnel, we can get better. I'd like to see Lipinski playing as it strengthens our mid division further (or Jong) and I want Cav in for McNeil.

Twodogs
10-04-2021, 07:48 PM

The report will be the highlight of my day.

bornadog
10-04-2021, 07:50 PM
Good win but that was a chore to sit through. I get why we do it but I’d be happy to never play at Ballarat again.

Never a chore watching us win

angelopetraglia
10-04-2021, 07:56 PM
Glad I made the trip up the highway to watch it. We never really looked like losing. We were in control all day and should have really put them to the sword in the first half of the last quarter. Timmy was outstanding today. On a blustery day his aerial work and finishing were first class. Lots of areas to improve but you can’t complain with a 4-0 start.

Happy Days
10-04-2021, 07:59 PM
Never a chore watching us win

Relatively of course. Was only my fourth favourite thing to happen this year was what I was trying to say.

merantau
10-04-2021, 08:25 PM
It was the type of win that builds belief and team spirit. The players cracked in hard throughout the match. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't easy but in the end we showed more resolve to do the hard things than them.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 08:30 PM
It’s obvious that we are playing a more team orientated module than previous years. The way our mids are working and the work that the 3 talls are doing both in the air and on the ground just shows that if you are willing to play like a TEAM, you will reap the rewards. A lot of work still to be done, but you certainly can’t take anything away from the efforts of the players at this point.

Eastdog
10-04-2021, 08:32 PM
Spent the afternoon watching the match from the Railway Hotel in Yarraville. Great hard fought win. The Lions certainly were on our heels. Tim English was great. 4-0 and on top of the ladder what a start to the year. Will be back at Marvel next Saturday when we take on Gold Coast.

comrade
10-04-2021, 08:47 PM
Spent the afternoon watching the match from the Railway Hotel in Yarraville. Great hard fought win. The Lions certainly were on our heels. Tim English was great. 4-0 and on top of the ladder what a start to the year. Will be back at Marvel next Saturday when we take on Gold Coast.

And the parma?

jeemak
10-04-2021, 08:47 PM
Will be interesting to see what I think after having watched the replay, though at the ground (from the Old Scoreboard end) it seemed both sides set the ground up really well defencively and that we were just a bit better more often at breaking that down than what they were.

Naughton is unbelievable when you watch him at the same level as the play which I pretty much did, and Timmy's finishing was good too. He's always had ability to play forward, and his task in doing so is made a lot easier when we're running all of Naughton, Bruce and Martin through the forward line in addition to him, very difficult for defencive systems to adjust.

The midfield is humming along nicely, Treloar adds strength in close as well as dash and is a good point of difference from the other guys playing inside. We're now at a point that if everyone in there shows up with a good attitude there's too much quality for us to be dominated. Sure there's always a lapse here and there like there was today, but as long as we recognise those moments and get back on track quickly then it's all good.

Good to see Lew Young play well, though he needs to be supported so he doesn't have to kick as much. We had a lot of the ball in our forward half in the last quarter and the kick to kick stuff between them and us was a bit frustrating, but it chewed up time and we notched up a good win.

Eastdog
10-04-2021, 09:49 PM
And the parma?

Pretty decent. The chips were on the side not under. I finished it off very well :D

comrade
10-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Pretty decent. The chips were on the side not under. I finished it off very well :D

Nice.

The bulldog tragician
10-04-2021, 09:53 PM
The conditions were tough, it often wasn’t pretty, but we never looked like losing. I was so impressed with English today. Not a day that should have suited him, but he did very well. Stef Martin’s arrival has been perfectly timed to help Tim become the player we hoped for.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Caleb Daniel’s game, I have never seemed him so quiet/ineffectual. It was very difficult to know what was going on at the ground. Not sure if he was tagged?

You need to see the work rate of Naughton at the game to appreciate all he does, very impressive.

I’m still struggling to see what McNeil and Scott bring and why Lipinski is marked so hard. It was great to see Lewy Young play so well. I hope he is given the same patience and latitude that Gardner has been of recent times. Alex Keith’s game was also very good.

I have to mention the debacle that is Mars Stadium. Lengthy queues in freezing conditions are ridiculous. The entrances are like a suburban ground, we were among many who missed the start. The facilities (including a lack of toilets) aren’t adequate I’m afraid. It really is frustrating and would turn many off the whole experience.

Anyway: apart from that grumpiness, a solid hardworking performance today, so different from last week and in lots of ways more satisfying as these are the “get your hands dirty” games good teams simply have to win.

Eastdog
10-04-2021, 09:53 PM
Good vibe the Railway. A good number of Dogs fans with their scarfs on.

GVGjr
10-04-2021, 10:36 PM
The conditions were tough, it often wasn’t pretty, but we never looked like losing. I was so impressed with English today. Not a day that should have suited him, but he did very well. Stef Martin’s arrival has been perfectly timed to help Tim become the player we hoped for.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Caleb Daniel’s game, I have never seemed him so quiet/ineffectual. It was very difficult to know what was going on at the ground. Not sure if he was tagged?

You need to see the work rate of Naughton at the game to appreciate all he does, very impressive.

I’m still struggling to see what McNeil and Scott bring and why Lipinski is marked so hard. It was great to see Lewy Young play so well. I hope he is given the same patience and latitude that Gardner has been of recent times. Alex Keith’s game was also very good.

I have to mention the debacle that is Mars Stadium. Lengthy queues in freezing conditions are ridiculous. The entrances are like a suburban ground, we were among many who missed the start. The facilities (including a lack of toilets) aren’t adequate I’m afraid. It really is frustrating and would turn many off the whole experience.

Anyway: apart from that grumpiness, a solid hardworking performance today, so different from last week and in lots of ways more satisfying as these are the “get your hands dirty” games good teams simply have to win.

I reckon Daniel wasn't right given he started two of the quarters on the bench and just never seemed in the groove. Was it Berry who marked him?

I also think he might come under scrutiny for that tackle.

Happy Days
10-04-2021, 10:38 PM
That was fully not the game for Daniel. There were almost no possession chains between the arcs which is where he’s the best in the league. No concern whatsoever.

comrade
10-04-2021, 11:05 PM
That was fully not the game for Daniel. There were almost no possession chains between the arcs which is where he’s the best in the league. No concern whatsoever.

Good point. It was effectively kick long down the line and try to squeeze goals through positional dominance. Teams are also clearly putting more time into him than ever before so he needs to work through it. It does help players like Williams and Dale get off the chain though, you can't clamp them all.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 11:50 PM
Good point. It was effectively kick long down the line and try to squeeze goals through positional dominance. Teams are also clearly putting more time into him than ever before so he needs to work through it. It does help players like Williams and Dale get off the chain though, you can't clamp them all.

This is what I'm liking about our team balance right now. Every line has a player the opposition need to consider focussing on.
I'm sure Brisbane thought if we curtail Daniel, we can negate their ability to transition quickly from defense. So they lock him down, but the Bailey's then takeover Daniel's role, and do it effectively.
Our midfield is just a headache right now for opposition coaches, especially with their defensive work. Good luck trying to make them all ineffective.
And our forward line. Whilst English is in this vein of form, again good luck marking he, Bruce and Naughton out of the game.
And for all McNeal and Scott's quiet return, I still reckon Bevo is right to back them in. Their opponents aren't hurting them, and they're certainly working their butts off and putting their bodies on the line.

comrade
10-04-2021, 11:55 PM
And for all McNeal and Scott's quiet return, I still reckon Bevo is right to back them in. Their opponents aren't hurting them, and they're certainly working their butts off and putting their bodies on the line.

They're obviously doing something right because in his presser, Bevo named them both (completely unprompted mind you) as showing good signs. That or he's aware that fans are questioning their selection and he likes to troll us all :D

divvydan
11-04-2021, 12:12 AM
It's funny that English was so much more dangerous when we were going into the wind and he was able to move to the drop of the ball.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-04-2021, 12:28 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here (sarcasm), and suggest we're still not gonna get much media love this week.

Reckon Saints will get the adulation.
That's good.
We've achieved nothing yet, and we won't til this group ticks some more redemption boxes.

I'm not downplaying the 4-0 start to the year, nor the improvements we appear to have made. But we've just got to keep doing what we've been doing; winning games against the teams we should beat, avoiding the lapses we've shown in previous years, and then stepping it up another notch when we hit a real contender.
Presuming, and its still a big presumption, that we win the next 2 against Gold Coast and GWS, Rnd 7 against Richmond is where we will start to earn real respect, more broadly amongst the footy public and media.
We've not dealt well with expectation post 2016. I am encouraged by what I've seen from this group in 2021 thus far to begin to think this might change.
Go Dogs!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-04-2021, 01:01 AM
Lewy Young played a good game today. He's always had some tantalising traits. Given his lack of selection for a while, that's probably a key reason why we have kept him.
I'm glad to see posters have thus far showed restraint in falling for the old confirmation bias by not saying ' see we should have played him more, he would've improved our performances in defense!

Bevo praised him for grabbing this opportunity with both hands toda, and singled him out for having stood out amongst the potential candidates to replace Gardner, by weight of his performances this last month.

Seems clear to me that the Match Committee have a clear idea on what their criteria is for promotion, and they've stuck firm on it, in this case.

That Lewy didn't play last year says to me he wasn't close to hitting the KPIs the match committee were looking for. Great to see him buckle down and put himself in the frame for selection this year.

I really hope this means Lewy has figured out what he needs to do. At his best he's got what it takes at this level. He just needs to now commit to it and he will be a very good AFL level player for some time.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-04-2021, 02:38 AM
I mean Brad Johnson wets himself whenever the Dogs play: he has to he's got Bulldog DNA.
But Jordan Lewis being impressed by a 'mature performance by the Dogs is encouraging that we are growing as a team to be reckoned with innm 2021.

macca
11-04-2021, 05:37 AM
They're obviously doing something right because in his presser, Bevo named them both (completely unprompted mind you) as showing good signs. That or he's aware that fans are questioning their selection and he likes to troll us all :D

there are KPIs which fans do not know about. Its the secret sauce how MC rate players and they know where they need to get to get into the team and perform. McNeil and scott must be hitting them. I like their intensity and contest. Yeah their kicking is iffy, but I look with optimism that its something they will improve on.

Today's games was really scrappy and very frustrating to watch when we kept fumbling the ball inside forward 50. It seemed conditions were difficult and the ground may not have been best place to hold your feet.

I really noticed our ferocity in tackling and getting numbers to the ball. Still the Lions were within 2 goals with 2 mins left means there is no gap for complacency and resting . When Daniher kicked that miracle goal from the boundary, I thought the Lions would over run us. But our stronger bodies and fittness kept them out.

jeemak
11-04-2021, 06:52 AM
It's funny that English was so much more dangerous when we were going into the wind and he was able to move to the drop of the ball.

Naughton was excellent in the first, and the delivery to Bruce was completely rancid. The latter could have positioned himself a bit better but being pretty much behind those goals and seeing the ball coming in from ground level nothing clean really came his way.

English however got himself into good positions as the "next best" option a couple of times and the delivery from Jacko to him was outstanding.

SonofScray
11-04-2021, 07:49 AM
Watched the replay, as at the ground I found it difficult to see at times. Have a different perspective as a result.

At the game my votes went to English, Macrae and Young. After watching the replay it’s Treloar, English and Dunkley. I had Keath just outside in both instances.

Thought we looked very organised and through pretty staunch defensive efforts, held sway for the majority of the game. The game was played on our terms and the way the game looked was because that’s how we set it up to look. Brisbane are good enough to have given us grief in the middle at times but we just had too much for them them to handle all at once.

Tall forwards, a triple threat, blokes were marking everything deep inside 50 at one point. Their work up the line for the long option, outlet kick was superb. English got the chocolates, Naughton could have had a bag and Bruce backed up last week with a really solid, physical game.

Lions came back a bit when our forwards tired. We couldn’t keep it in very well as the game wound down. But we’d done the damage.

SonofScray
11-04-2021, 07:58 AM
I reckon Daniel wasn't right given he started two of the quarters on the bench and just never seemed in the groove. Was it Berry who marked him?

I also think he might come under scrutiny for that tackle.

He’s been a little askew, I figured it was opposition tagging him. Perhaps he’s a little sore given the change in time on ground and they are managing him a bit differently?

That tackle looked weird to me. Real time, live, it was a fantastic defensive effort. On the replay it was also that, but the movement of the tackled player was quite surreal. Caleb didn’t seem to do much to generate the front flip, the angle it happened at didn’t make sense to me. He’s either incredibly powerful or the opponent has some good gymnastics under his belt. Can see why a free was given, but would be disappointed if it generated further punishment.

merantau
11-04-2021, 07:59 AM

Better post that review on Trip Advisor too.

merantau
11-04-2021, 08:06 AM

That hadn't occured to me and you're right. It was a very impressive performance by him.

jeemak
11-04-2021, 08:35 AM
He’s been a little askew, I figured it was opposition tagging him. Perhaps he’s a little sore given the change in time on ground and they are managing him a bit differently?

That tackle looked weird to me. Real time, live, it was a fantastic defensive effort. On the replay it was also that, but the movement of the tackled player was quite surreal. Caleb didn’t seem to do much to generate the front flip, the angle it happened at didn’t make sense to me. He’s either incredibly powerful or the opponent has some good gymnastics under his belt. Can see why a free was given, but would be disappointed if it generated further punishment.

Yeah I just watched it as I was going through the first quarter replay and it didn't seem like Caleb did anything to flip him over like he flipped over. He will still get sighted, though I think it won't go anywhere.