PDA

View Full Version : Beveridge interview

Hotdog60
28-02-2021, 09:34 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/members-exclusive280221?spMailingID=6642299&spUserID=Mjg4ODA2MjE1MzA5S0&spJobID=1201058540&spReportId=MTIwMTA1ODU0MAS2

There was a share button on the video so I guess it can go to non members too.

comrade
01-03-2021, 03:53 PM
Fairly reserved from Bevo. Doesn't seem particularly convinced by the 2 ruck setup and even suggested Hawks cut us open because of it.

Also seems like it'll be a while until we see Marra at the top level, with Bevo saying the kid's fitness levels are far from where they need to be.

He did mention Anthony Scott as a player who may put pressure on spots in the midfield, so there's that to get excited about!

Danjul
02-03-2021, 11:08 PM
Fairly reserved from Bevo. Doesn't seem particularly convinced by the 2 ruck setup and even suggested Hawks cut us open because of it.

Also seems like it'll be a while until we see Marra at the top level, with Bevo saying the kid's fitness levels are far from where they need to be.

He did mention Anthony Scott as a player who may put pressure on spots in the midfield, so there's that to get excited about!

Did I watch the same game?

Martin in the ruck, and English as a dominant forward, was the best part, in the first half it blew the Hawks away.

Then the rest of the game plan blew up as it often did in recent years. The running slowed them down in the second half. Then the handball emphasis was disastrous - I’m sure I saw a chain of 7 lead to a turnover and goal.

Why did Dale spend so much time in defence when he had a couple of goals earlier? The goal supply dried up.

And why was an undermanned Hawks forward line able to take so many marks and have set shots? Sorry, I forgot that we don’t believe in tall key position defenders. But we got another midfielder?

jeemak
03-03-2021, 03:16 AM
He actually said the ruck situation had been disconcerting from a coaching point of view. Essentially had to plan for being beaten.

English/ Martin - Ruck/ Forward

- Steph hopefully gives us peace of mind in there

- Hopefully takes pressure off Tim, frees his game/ mind up a little bit

- Whether we can sustain Martin, English, Bruce, Naughton and even Schache, there's more than one phase, we got opened up through some of those positions

- Time will tell what we can sustain, but he's a threat forward

I think from that he's not convinced by the overall talls set up, not just the ruck set up.

bornadog
03-03-2021, 09:27 AM
I think from that he's not convinced by the overall talls set up, not just the ruck set up.

I took it as Bevo thinking we were opened up by having a tall forward line and not putting enough pressure on Hawks defenders.

We really need some smaller tackling machines to help keep the ball in our forward line.

bornadog
03-03-2021, 09:53 AM
Bevo on SEN this morning. Listen here (https://player.whooshkaa.com/player/playlist/show/1919?visual=true&sharing=true&episode=797192)

Mofra
03-03-2021, 10:34 AM
I took it as Bevo thinking we were opened up by having a tall forward line and not putting enough pressure on Hawks defenders.

We really need some smaller tackling machines to help keep the ball in our forward line.
I read it that way too.
I think that bodes poorly for Schache and Dale. Perhaps positively for a bolter like Cavarra. Probably helps McNeill's case too

The Bulldogs Bite
03-03-2021, 11:04 AM
Begs the question why Beveridge didn't push for a pressure, small and lively forward given this isn't anything new.

Bedendo looks talented, McNeil impressed .... but we have no small forwards of quality.

comrade
03-03-2021, 11:20 AM

Which is due to playing 2 rucks and having English spend most of his time forward.

bornadog
03-03-2021, 11:30 AM
Which is due to playing 2 rucks and having English spend most of his time forward.

That is the dilemma. How many rucks do you play, how many tall forwards?

Begs the question why Beveridge didn't push for a pressure, small and lively forward given this isn't anything new.

Bedendo looks talented, McNeil impressed .... but we have no small forwards of quality.

True, we don't have a quality small, but we are certainly trying to bring in players through the draft.

SquirrelGrip
03-03-2021, 11:51 AM
Teams need forwards who provide good defensive pressure. In our premiership finals run, we had Clay, Picko and I think Tory was probably the underrated in how good his defensive pressure was at his best. Zaine also was a big part of this at the time.

What do we have now? Naughton provides the best defensive pressure, Wally too (although without speed), maybe Laith. Jamarra looks like he will be elite at that in time too.

jeemak
03-03-2021, 11:59 AM

He might have, or he might have faith in who we have in West and Cavarra etc. which seems unconvincing. Could be that when it came to the time to have it sorted there wasn't much there.

Mantis
03-03-2021, 01:26 PM

Does Vandermeer fit into the small forward category? I think the club has high hopes for Garcia who fits the mould so hopefully he has an injury free run..

Agree we are outliers in this area as pretty much all other good teams have multiple players who fit the atypical small forward position.

Danjul
03-03-2021, 01:42 PM
Teams need forwards who provide good defensive pressure. In our premiership finals run, we had Clay, Picko and I think Tory was probably the underrated in how good his defensive pressure was at his best. Zaine also was a big part of this at the time.

What do we have now? Naughton provides the best defensive pressure, Wally too (although without speed), maybe Laith. Jamarra looks like he will be elite at that in time too.
For me the greatest disappointment from that game was the foot skills, particularly going into the forward line. On many occasions it took a special effort from the forwards to get the ball.

This was also evident in general play, with 20m passes missing the target. As the game went on players started kicking backwards, almost into the opposition goal square, and handballing when a kick was a better option.

In the finals run in 2016 the emphasis was on kicking allowing fast movement and forwards to take marks. I was hoping to see a return to that.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-03-2021, 02:03 PM
Does Vandermeer fit into the small forward category? I think the club has high hopes for Garcia who fits the mould so hopefully he has an injury free run..

Agree we are outliers in this area as pretty much all other good teams have multiple players who fit the atypical small forward position.

Reading between the lines we are trying to turn Laith into that out of necessity, because we simply have no other quality options. I love what he brings, but surely his best asset is working up the ground and using his pace to break the lines and cut through defensive set-ups. He doesn't strike me as a natural crumbing, pressure forward who kicks goals...

Garcia seems a long shot based on his injury history, but hopefully he can have a smoother run at it.

It's odd why we've neglected certain positions (small forward / ruck / KPD) for a period of time. Not surprisingly, they are large reasons why it's hard to see us challenge the best teams - though Martin should help the ruck situation.

comrade
03-03-2021, 02:06 PM
Another interesting Bevo interview today, played the hypeman in regards to Naughton and suggested he could be an AA defender or a Coleman medallist.

Also gave Dunks a slight whack by saying he's not in great form at the moment and once again reiterated how far off Marra is in terms of his tank. Hope we're not dealing with Veszpremi 2.0

Happy Days
03-03-2021, 02:10 PM
Also gave Dunks a slight whack by saying he's not in great form at the moment and once again reiterated how far off Marra is in terms of his tank. Hope we're not dealing with Veszpremi 2.0

Yeah I hope we give him a fair and extended run in the seniors too. Veszpremi could still make it!

jeemak
03-03-2021, 02:16 PM
Yeah I hope we give him a fair and extended run in the seniors too. Veszpremi could still make it!

I was thinking about this the other day when we were discussing rookie spots.

SonofScray
03-03-2021, 02:56 PM
Another interesting Bevo interview today, played the hypeman in regards to Naughton and suggested he could be an AA defender or a Coleman medallist.

Can you remind me what the scenario was with Ves?

comrade
03-03-2021, 03:05 PM
Can you remind me what the scenario was with Ves?

Had the cardiovascular ability of a 75 year old smoker :D

SonofScray
03-03-2021, 05:13 PM
Had the cardiovascular ability of a 75 year old smoker :D

:D Thanks, I suspected that was where we were headed, but thought I might have missed a falling out or something of that nature.

DOG GOD
03-03-2021, 05:21 PM
So why our #1 pick languishes in the VFL, McNeil and Scott knocking down door for selection?

comrade
03-03-2021, 05:31 PM
So why our #1 pick languishes in the VFL, McNeil and Scott knocking down door for selection?

I don't mind us setting realistic expectations on Marra. If his fitness levels are miles off, he'll be eaten alive in the senior team. Best to learn his trade off Broadway and come in when he's ready.

bornadog
03-03-2021, 05:40 PM

18 year old kid versus more mature players

DOG GOD
03-03-2021, 05:58 PM
Thanks Comrade and Bornadog. Been out of the loop so haven’t heard or read any news on the new recruits, since the main draft. Appreciate the replies.

comrade
03-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Thanks Comrade and Bornadog. Been out of the loop so haven’t heard or read any news on the new recruits, since the main draft. Appreciate the replies.

All good, I'm excited to see him but also don't want to unleash him too early and hurt his development. Need to play the long game with a talent like him.

Grantysghost
03-03-2021, 07:38 PM

The Dunks whack. Very interesting he singled him out. I'm sure he was asked, however he would've expected the question which makes the response intriguing.

We've seen Bevo hold a grudge in the past, watch this space I guess to see if action meets rhetoric when it comes to "Team Dunkley".

jeemak
03-03-2021, 07:52 PM
The Dunks whack. Very interesting he singled him out. I'm sure he was asked, however he would've expected the question which makes the response intriguing.

We've seen Bevo hold a grudge in the past, watch this space I guess to see if action meets rhetoric when it comes to "Team Dunkley".

Also made a point that it wasn't only Dunkley that had to chip in with ruck duties, noting that Bontempelli and Macrae had to lend a hand as well.

You're right, he was directly asked about the Dunkley situation and chose to put an arm around with the left and dish out a bit of a whack with the right! BAD posted the link to the interview if you're interested, it goes for about fifteen minutes.

Before I Die
03-03-2021, 07:57 PM

I think you are writing off Cody Weightman a bit too quickly. Our first pick in the 2019 draft. The acknowledged best small forward available at that pick. Has been at the club for 1 year. Debuted in his first year and has played three games in total. He hasn't proven anything yet, but most players haven't at the end of their first year at AFL level.

So one draft ago the club clearly pushed for a pressure, small and lively forward, using their first pick on the best one available. The year before they picked up Ben Cavarra, a mature age, pressure, small and lively forward, with pick 45 and chased hard after Chad Wingard without success. So I think your criticism is a bit sharp and the jury is still out on just how many talented small forwards we currently have on the list.

GVGjr
03-03-2021, 08:19 PM
I wonder why Bevo felt the need to say that Dunkley position in our best 22 was not secure? I get Bevo is indicating his form isn't at the best and that was evident in the Hawks game but I also tend to think a comment like that might be more of a de-motivator than a motivator

Intriguing comment

bornadog
03-03-2021, 11:45 PM
I wonder why Bevo felt the need to say that Dunkley position in our best 22 was not secure? I get Bevo is indicating his form isn't at the best and that was evident in the Hawks game but I also tend to think a comment like that might be more of a de-motivator than a motivator

Intriguing comment

BULLDOGS CAPTAIN RESPONDS TO LUKE BEVERIDGE'S DUNKLEY COMMENTS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/03/03/bulldogs-captain-responds-to-luke-beveridges-dunkley-comments/)

and

DUNKLEY "WORKED HARD" TO EARN BACK BULLDOG RESPECT AFTER TRADE REQUEST (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/03/03/dunkley-worked-hard-to-earn-back-bulldog-respect-after-trade-request/)

dog town
04-03-2021, 06:58 AM

Intriguing comment When you listen to it there wasn’t much in it as he kind of qualified the comments before and after but the headline reads harshly. I thought it was more around midfield minutes than selection as well.

Mantis
04-03-2021, 08:39 AM
I think you are writing off Cody Weightman a bit too quickly. Our first pick in the 2019 draft. The acknowledged best small forward available at that pick. Has been at the club for 1 year. Debuted in his first year and has played three games in total. He hasn't proven anything yet, but most players haven't at the end of their first year at AFL level.

So one draft ago the club clearly pushed for a pressure, small and lively forward, using their first pick on the best one available. The year before they picked up Ben Cavarra, a mature age, pressure, small and lively forward, with pick 45 and chased hard after Chad Wingard without success. So I think your criticism is a bit sharp and the jury is still out on just how many talented small forwards we currently have on the list.

I'm thinking TBB was talking about a small & lively defensive minded forward which for all of Weightman's strengths is one of his key traits.. which was pointed out by all ''draft experts & key indicators'' when drafted.

Cavarra is probably the type we need, but seems a bit off the pace and Wingard is a more of an attacking player too.

We do need some pace & pressure focus up forward which has been rightly pointed out by others.

Grantysghost
04-03-2021, 09:13 AM

Intriguing comment

Didnt have to be Einstein to realise what the headline was going to be today.

“Beveridge turns up heat on struggling dog”.... not sure how it helps tbh but maybe I’m missing some master plan here.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/beveridge-s-admission-on-struggling-dunkley-is-a-blessing-martin-20210303-p577hh.html

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-03-2021, 09:28 AM

“Beveridge turns up heat on struggling dog”.... not sure how it helps tbh but maybe I’m missing some master plan here.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/beveridge-s-admission-on-struggling-dunkley-is-a-blessing-martin-20210303-p577hh.html

I actually don't think it's a bad thing, and having heard the full interview Bevo was just as much pointing out how strong the relationship between he and Dunks was.

We should want the scrutiny and the honest feedback, especially our mids. Competition for those roles are fierce, and if they're off their game, especially more in intent rather than execution then the acid should be coming onto them.

I'd be more concerned if he was out of form, and the coach didn't directly respond to or brushed away media queries about it. I think most people here were disappointed with Bevo in that regard last year in addressing Josh Bruce's form.

SquirrelGrip
04-03-2021, 10:39 AM

Also, remember that Bevo was being interviewed by Tim Watson who on a daily basis even still talks down Josh Dunkley's relationships at the Dogs. The continued rubbish spread by the Essendon media which he leads suggesting that Dunks wanted to move for reasons other than the cash is wearing thin.

comrade
04-03-2021, 10:58 AM
Also, remember that Bevo was being interviewed by Tim Watson who on a daily basis even still talks down Josh Dunkley's relationships at the Dogs. The continued rubbish spread by the Essendon media which he leads suggesting that Dunks wanted to move for reasons other than the cash is wearing thin.

Bevo had to read the room and know any comments would be stretched to fit the narrative. He could have easily straight batted it and just said Dunks has settled back in and is set for a good year. He does that and any speculation would have been avoided. Now Dunks gets asked about it, Bont gets asked about it and it just drags on.

Grantysghost
04-03-2021, 11:13 AM
Bevo had to read the room and know any comments would be stretched to fit the narrative. He could have easily straight batted it and just said Dunks has settled back in and is set for a good year. He does that and any speculation would have been avoided. Now Dunks gets asked about it, Bont gets asked about it and it just drags on.

Yes agree with this, he knew it was coming and had an answer prepared. Can you be out of form after a scratch match? :cool:

GVGjr
04-03-2021, 11:23 AM

We will find out on Tuesday :)

GVGjr
04-03-2021, 11:25 AM

He should have know that Watson would run that narrative so I'm surprised he gave the media the scope to create a story

mjp
04-03-2021, 11:33 AM
Yes agree with this, he knew it was coming and had an answer prepared. Can you be out of form after a scratch match? :cool:

Aah well...sometimes you have to lose a coupla soldiers so that everyone knows it is 'serious'. Leaving out fringe players does nothing - if a Dunks or JJ or someone of similar 'regard' was left out, well, that has the potential to really change behaviours.

If the MC are prepared to leave out anyone but a peripheral player I would be shocked (they have never done so in the past) but if Dunks is out of form at training then he shouldn't be selected...is that the worst thing?

SquirrelGrip
04-03-2021, 12:18 PM
Aah well...sometimes you have to lose a coupla soldiers so that everyone knows it is 'serious'. Leaving out fringe players does nothing - if a Dunks or JJ or someone of similar 'regard' was left out, well, that has the potential to really change behaviours.

If the MC are prepared to leave out anyone but a peripheral player I would be shocked (they have never done so in the past) but if Dunks is out of form at training then he shouldn't be selected...is that the worst thing?

Exactly right. And if Dunks thinks he's as good as he (and the Bombers) say, well let's light a cracker in the right place for him to prove it.

Grantysghost
04-03-2021, 12:40 PM

No agree with that sentiment definitely.
My interest in this is around the off season stuff with Dunks and how he has integrated back into the club.
The rhetoric has been that he's been embraced with open arms, and it's part of footy nowadays and he and Luke are close etc...
So this piqued my interest with that in mind. I get the spin machine has been in action so this is a first real measuring stick to gauge the relationship post attempted defection.

I wonder what the real state of play is. I assume it would be very difficult for him to resume normality, and question is there's some lingering animosity there from Bevo?

He could've singled out JJ as you say, Dunks was always going to get the most attention.

Maybe he's decided being Mr. Nice guy is no longer the approach, an approach which I would be in favour of.