PDA

View Full Version : Bailey Dale to backline

bornadog
10-03-2021, 06:51 PM
Dale embracing new role (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/877224/dale-embracing-new-role)

Western Bulldogs utility Bailey Dale has embraced a new role down back ahead of the 2021 season.

The 24-year-old spent the majority of the Bulldogs’ AAMI Community Series match playing across the half-back line, recording 23 disposals, nine intercept possessions and three rebound-50s.

To top off a successful switch, he even snuck forward to slot two goals.

Dale said the new role had only come about in recent weeks.

“It is a bit of a different role – obviously not having the back next to you all the time is a bit of a free-up, but I still got forward and kicked a couple of goals which was nice,” Dale told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“I did most of my stuff as a forward this pre-season, and then an opportunity sort of opened up down back over the last few weeks and thought I’d give it a crack.

“Hopefully I can do it for the rest of the year.”

Dale credited his teammates for their in-game guidance, and said despite having a shortened pre-season this year, the group feels ready for the challenge that awaits in round one.

“We obviously play a very assertive brand, so to get up the field and really compress I found myself in some good spots,” Dale said.

“Having the guys behind me talking to me and getting me in the right spots really helped.

“We’ve had a pretty solid pre-season even though it was compressed - we’ve put in the work and so to get a couple of hit-outs in the VFL and AFL with full match-time is going to go a long way to hopefully us playing really well in round one.”

Grantysghost
10-03-2021, 07:03 PM
“We obviously play a very assertive brand, so to get up the field and really compress I found myself in some good spots."

My goals over the back PTSD just triggered.

comrade
10-03-2021, 07:04 PM
Dale trained with the forwards all pre-season but was given a role across half back 2 weeks ago? Makes sense, given the lack of options we have in that role...

Never change Bevo.

Rocket Science
10-03-2021, 07:08 PM
https://i.ibb.co/hRDhzVV/BEVO-GONNA-BEVO.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Grantysghost
10-03-2021, 07:13 PM
Bevo : "Positions are something one might find in the karma suture"

comrade
10-03-2021, 07:24 PM
https://i.ibb.co/hRDhzVV/BEVO-GONNA-BEVO.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Instead of Bailey Dale, it should read 'A Bulldogs player'

Grantysghost
10-03-2021, 07:33 PM
Let me give you some insight regarding the theme this year. It's waves. Waves of pressure. Inspiration provided by Pearl Jam, or Kings of Leon.. No it was Pearl Jam.

AshMac
10-03-2021, 08:46 PM
Dont mind Bailey Dale playing on the wing actually, he has such a lovely kick for goal that if he can get on the end of it after some overlap run I like our chances in the 45 out zone. Not sure he has the hardness of a defender so glad we'll only play him there to round 18 to find out properly.

soupman
10-03-2021, 10:49 PM
Dale trained with the forwards all pre-season but was given a role across half back 2 weeks ago? Makes sense, given the lack of options we have in that role...

Never change Bevo.

I'm actually really curious what changed our thinking. He trained as a forward all pre-season and against Hawthorn defintely spent the majority of his time as a forward and maybe winger, are we just that unimpressed with JJ and Richards we decided to flip him around?

jeemak
10-03-2021, 11:11 PM
Bevo in his presser suggested that players playing all over the joint was to help deal with the lower cap in rotations. I think the theory being that you can't rest every player every quarter meaning runners are going to have to sit behind or forward of the ball at times, while everyone else apart from key tenets of areas will have to be flexible.

Knowing that Dale's contracted the coaching team may have thought now's the time to try him elsewhere having not seen the requisite improvement in his usual roles over preseason. Hopefully he does well.

soupman
10-03-2021, 11:14 PM
I remember when he was first drafted he looked like an elusive winger and he certainly covers the ground well. I have mentioned I am sceptical on his ability to defend as such but it was a pretty good audition for the role and he is certainly a player that needs to add more to his game than just fading in and out of games as a leading forward.

bornadog
10-03-2021, 11:21 PM
I remember when he was first drafted he looked like an elusive winger and he certainly covers the ground well. I have mentioned I am sceptical on his ability to defend as such but it was a pretty good audition for the role and he is certainly a player that needs to add more to his game than just fading in and out of games as a leading forward.

Let's face it he has faded in and out on the forward line and frustrated many of us .

Whether his backline role is a success remains to be seen.

jeemak
11-03-2021, 12:08 AM

I remember watching his clips and thinking if anything he's going to be a good outside player who can add polish between the flanks. We then tried to get him to play one the hardest positions on the ground in modern footy and he's shown he's capable but inconsistent.

He is super talented, and there's something about him that makes me keep the faith that he will be a player. Now's his time to mature and deliver some consistency.

Rocket Science
11-03-2021, 11:58 AM
Let me give you some insight regarding the theme this year. It's waves. Waves of pressure. Inspiration provided by Pearl Jam, or Kings of Leon.. No it was Pearl Jam.

I figured this was a wry imaginary riff on Bevo being Bevo but having now seen the presentation of course it's the coach's literal battle cry ahead of season 2021.

Bless him, but did nobody point out the problem with tsunamis from a footballing perspective is they're freak occurrences?

Happy Days
11-03-2021, 12:16 PM
Bevo needs to listen to some new music.

Rocket Science
11-03-2021, 01:18 PM
Bevo needs to listen to some new music.

Firing the boys up with some sweet adult contemporary.

comrade
11-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Firing the boys up with some sweet adult contemporary.

Can just imagine Bazlenka groaning when it's Bevo's turn on Spotify duties.

"Not Counting Crows again!"

Rocket Science
11-03-2021, 01:53 PM
Can just imagine Bazlenka groaning when it's Bevo's turn on Spotify duties.

"Not Counting Crows again!"

I for one welcome our Hootie & the Blowfish-themed 2022 campaign launch with a contrite Dunks, Bevo's arm around him, reading the chorus from "I Only Wanna Be With You".

comrade
11-03-2021, 01:54 PM
I for one welcome our Hootie & the Blowfish-themed 2022 campaign launch with a contrite Dunks, Bevo's arm around him, reading the chorus from "I Only Wanna Be With You".

Brilliant.

Grantysghost
11-03-2021, 03:09 PM

Hopefully for Bevo it's not the board serenading him with the Chili Peppers' "Give it away now"..!

whythelongface
31-03-2021, 10:36 PM
Early days yet but this move seems to be very positive. Bailey’s biggest issue has been consistency. Hopefully he can cement his position in the backline. He is good overhead and is a good user of the ball. In general he is also a good decision maker. One play on the weekend really stood out for mine is when he took his time to assess what was in front of him (running his full distance) and delivered a beautiful pinpoint pass to (think it was) Wallis.

1eyedog
01-04-2021, 01:32 AM
Early days yet but this move seems to be very positive. Bailey’s biggest issue has been consistency. Hopefully he can cement his position in the backline. He is good overhead and is a good user of the ball. In general he is also a good decision maker. One play on the weekend really stood out for mine is when he took his time to assess what was in front of him (running his full distance) and delivered a beautiful pinpoint pass to (think it was) Wallis.

Hes not tough though and can shirk a contest so hopefully these issues can be addressed this year.

jeemak
01-04-2021, 02:20 AM
Hes not tough though and can shirk a contest so hopefully these issues can be addressed this year.

I haven't seen him shirk one this year, on the contrary, he's done the opposite which shows some maturity has been gained.....possibly.

This guy is simply too good not to be playing AFL footy. I mean he's shown he can play an elite role, albeit inconsistently, as a forward but that's not worked out for him and I get it because it's bloody difficult for anyone to play in that role. Now that he's showing he can add value in defence then I'm happy to see how it plays out.

He has great hands, and is an amazing kick......borderline elite kick.

dog town
01-04-2021, 07:14 AM
I haven't seen him shirk one this year, on the contrary, he's done the opposite which shows some maturity has been gained.....possibly.

This guy is simply too good not to be playing AFL footy. I mean he's shown he can play an elite role, albeit inconsistently, as a forward but that's not worked out for him and I get it because it's bloody difficult for anyone to play in that role. Now that he's showing he can add value in defence then I'm happy to see how it plays out.

He has great hands, and is an amazing kick......borderline elite kick. You have to look hard to find them but he has shirked a couple. The Melbourne game in pre season had me really concerned from that point of view but I must say I’ve been pleasantly surprised since. The part that always annoyed me with the flinch Dale often has is that he came up without the ball which was costly. He seems to have basically cut this out over the last two games. Still had a question mark over a couple of contests but there was minimal damage.

He reads the play really well and has instantly recognised the correct time to leave his man and impact the contest. His ball use has been excellent and he has been able to compete more effectively 1 on 1 with each week.

I do question whether the overall balance now lacks some run and carry. We got ourselves in trouble on Sunday by being drawn into West Coasts control game. We seemed to miss a JJ or Richards type that can force broken play by gaining 20-30 metres before disposing. We probably have room for Dale still but he would need to continue making strides.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-04-2021, 09:56 AM
Dale shirked one on Sunday when Martin intercepted in defence late in the game. Some might say he let it go for Martin to mark it though. When I saw it live I thought he shirked it. Might have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He’s looked good down back though. We’ll have to play the waiting game. As tough as it is to play forward, defence can be brutal when the pressure is on and the opposition has some dangerous forwards.

Happy Days
01-04-2021, 10:10 AM
I too don’t think this has been an issue. If he flies for that Martin mark for example he probably kills the contest but leaves us with no one on the ground to defend the live ball. It was thoughtful not soft.

I’ve actually been really impressed with how much he’s improved at keeping his feet in contests and in general play. He must have done a mountain of work in the off season to improve his core strength because its night and day compared to previous years.

EasternWest
01-04-2021, 11:05 AM

I'm with you - he's looked a totally different player in the two games so far. Has always had the ability, but looks like something has clicked this year.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-04-2021, 12:04 PM
I'm with you - he's looked a totally different player in the two games so far. Has always had the ability, but looks like something has clicked this year.

Agree with this also. I see him pretty cool under pressure, took some telling marks and did some really nice thing both by hand and foot. I like this move snd think he has been really solid and as sick have t missed Wood/Crozier like I though we would have. With Dale, Williams and the little man I don’t see we miss much with JJ. They are all good and can create. The question I see can they grow dither in confidence to just take off and be that weapon JJ used to be.

By luck or by fortune it’s worked well snd made the selection of spots more competitive. Also adds stock value at the trade table should they need to make some change.

With the next month of football will be telling as we have some good games that should’ve free flowing and hopefully enable the side to settle in and back each other in

Side note. It’s good to see him acknowledge the experience around him and I would think it’s another posistive as our back leaders are basically out so good to see them step up.

Go_Dogs
01-04-2021, 12:09 PM
There was talk from some of us on here years ago that Dale had attributes to make it as a running defender. He’s good in the air, he’s fast and he kicks the ball well. At the moment he’s ahead of JJ for that role.

I don’t mind it.

1eyedog
01-04-2021, 02:01 PM

I have just two minor issues where he didn't go. One was going back with the flight of the ball, albeit with a pack forming behind him (still, he could have easily marked it and it slipped through his fingers (because he was going back, but I'll give him that one)), and another was less a shirk and more a not going as hard or harder than his opponent, also against West Coast late in the game on the outer wing.

Perhaps I should have stated 'doesn't apply enough pressure in contested situations consistently' rather than 'shirks' a contest, but when you get down to the nitty gritty of it, they're both pretty much the same anyway.

Dale has elite skills, can play tall and is smart but in order to keep his place in the team he needs to ensure his pressure levels are high and he has intent and desire at the contest. I'm optimistic about him, have always liked him as a player and have always defended him on here but this has always been a weakness. I just want him to retain his spot and flourish in his new position.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-04-2021, 03:03 PM
Bailey Dale looking superlative at HBF.
Reading of play, skilled kicking and marking with good decision making.
I doubted he would make it but looking like a natural at his no position HBF.

Ozza
01-04-2021, 03:45 PM
I hope those who speculated that he may have 'shirked' a contest, also noticed him bodyline the footy very late in the game which prevented the Eagles getting the footy for another inside 50.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-04-2021, 04:03 PM
I hope those who speculated that he may have 'shirked' a contest, also noticed him bodyline the footy very late in the game which prevented the Eagles getting the footy for another inside 50.

I did notice that. But we also know a ground level contest is a lot different to an aerial one. The latter is a lot scarier. Like I said though, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt in the one I saw.

btw is this a contract year for Bailey?

bornadog
01-04-2021, 04:07 PM
I did notice that. But we also know a ground level contest is a lot different to an aerial one. The latter is a lot scarier. Like I said though, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt in the one I saw.

End of 2022

Ozza
01-04-2021, 04:10 PM

Are you referring to when Stef Martin marked it? If so, I was only watching Stef, as he had his name on it well before because I remember saying 'gotta be you Stef' as nobody else was going to get there.

dog town
01-04-2021, 04:27 PM
I hope those who speculated that he may have 'shirked' a contest, also noticed him bodyline the footy very late in the game which prevented the Eagles getting the footy for another inside 50. Potentially very harsh but I was counting that as a flinch. He fumbled it in the end, maybe a bit of technique because he did look to go in quite hard but he has fumbled lots of ground balls in the past and this was similar. I need to have another look, it was a great attack but if he took his eyes off at slightly as the contact cane that’s exactly what he did a few times against Melbourne.

Definitely a harsh view but stands out in a team of clean ground level players plus you’re probably looking for it slightly as he has history with it.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-04-2021, 04:27 PM
Are you referring to when Stef Martin marked it? If so, I was only watching Stef, as he had his name on it well before because I remember saying 'gotta be you Stef' as nobody else was going to get there.

Yeah that one. Funny that. I was only watching Bailey and said 'you gotta get this Bailey. This is your moment to test yourself'. Then he went halfway up and backed out of the contest. When I watched the replay I thought ok maybe Stef told him to leave it. Who knows.

Ozza
01-04-2021, 04:37 PM
Yeah that one. Funny that. I was only watching Bailey and said 'you gotta get this Bailey. This is your moment to test yourself'. Then he went halfway up and backed out of the contest. When I watched the replay I thought ok maybe Stef told him to leave it. Who knows.

May have depended on our respective views of it. I was L2 Aisle 33, so was Stef was right in my eye line and from where I could see the ball was landing, he was the only one getting there for us.

I just found it on kayo, hard to tell what was happening on tv. From the weird way he finishes, I can only assume he's been called out by Martin. He looks closer to Stef then what it looked like from the opposite side of the ground.

soupman
01-04-2021, 05:36 PM
I have just two minor issues where he didn't go. One was going back with the flight of the ball, albeit with a pack forming behind him (still, he could have easily marked it and it slipped through his fingers (because he was going back, but I'll give him that one)).

I'm not saying this was his intention (and don't recall the incident you are referring to) but I am going to use this to segue into a semi related topic.

If we can start getting some defenders that don't always fly for the aerial ball we will be better for it. We have had so many instances where every defender we have in the vicinity of the footy flies for the mark/spoil not only combating each other but leaving us with no one on the ground. If guys like Dale can pick and choose when they fly then we will be much better for it.

The bulldog tragician
01-04-2021, 05:43 PM
I really like what he’s bringing to the backline. He is poised and calm. The thing that’s always been an issue, him fading out of games and being unsighted for periods of a game, less likely to happen. As for breaking the lines, his kicking is so good it can gain us 50 metres ... more important than what sometimes happens with JJ, of a run and a bomb. Together with Daniel and Williams we now have 3 good ball users coming out of defence.

bornadog
01-04-2021, 05:44 PM
I'm not saying this was his intention (and don't recall the incident you are referring to) but I am going to use this to segue into a semi related topic.

If we can start getting some defenders that don't always fly for the aerial ball we will be better for it. We have had so many instances where every defender we have in the vicinity of the footy flies for the mark/spoil not only combating each other but leaving us with no one on the ground. If guys like Dale can pick and choose when they fly then we will be much better for it.

There was a good example last week, with 3.30min left on the clock, when the WC player at the back picked off the ball falling off the pack. He was standing on his own as they all flew up for the ball mand turned around and put them back in front.

bornadog
01-04-2021, 05:45 PM
I really like what he’s bringing to the backline. He is poised and calm. The thing that’s always been an issue, him fading out of games and being unsighted for periods of a game, less likely to happen. As for breaking the lines, his kicking is so good it can gain us 50 metres ... more important than what sometimes happens with JJ, of a run and a bomb. Together with Daniel and Williams we now have 3 good ball users coming out of defence.

You can add Duryea to the good ball user and I can see Scott has a great left foot as well and will be an asset in years to come as he gains experience.

The bulldog tragician
01-04-2021, 05:51 PM
You can add Duryea to the good ball user and I can see Scott has a great left foot as well and will be an asset in years to come as he gains experience.

In the replay I realised what an important role Duryea played. He was really important at critical times as he was against Collingwood when the match tightened. Let’s hope he remains injury free as I think his impact has been underestimated (by me at least)

EasternWest
01-04-2021, 06:18 PM
In the replay I realised what an important role Duryea played. He was really important at critical times as he was against Collingwood when the match tightened. Let’s hope he remains injury free as I think his impact has been underestimated (by me at least)

I agree with you re Duryea but I'm wary of putting my faith in anyone that looks like Ramsay Bolton.

comrade
01-04-2021, 06:23 PM
I agree with you re Duryea but I'm wary of putting my faith in anyone that looks like Ramsay Bolton.

Duryea the Destroyer.

Rocket Science
01-04-2021, 06:51 PM

Aye, much the same. Duryea's timing and hardness was low-key priceless in that torrid last quarter against the Eagles and without he and Williams holding their nerve back there there's no Bont-led heroics to bask in later.

A healthy indication of whether we've matured into a genuinely formidable foe is if we see that stinginess from them - and their backline mates - more consistently when contests are in the balance.

One week at a time and all, but how they fare against Brisbane will be another instructive test.

Grantysghost
01-04-2021, 07:14 PM

He loves dogs doesn't he?

Twodogs
01-04-2021, 08:00 PM
Speaking of #15, how is his surname pronounced? Commentators are referring to him as Doo-ray lately but before this season he was commonly referred to as Due-ray-er. Which is it?

jeemak
02-04-2021, 05:43 AM
I was really really upset with Duryea in the third quarter. We'd worked hard to stifle the Weagles forward movement in a rare moment and he fluffed his lines really badly and fumbled a ground ball and seemed to impossibly knee it to the Weagles players and it seemed at the time a bit of a pressure valve moment.

He is solid though, and I am beginning to not think he's a douche after all these years post his efforts in being a tough guy in the 2016 semi final at half time.

SonofScray
03-04-2021, 09:11 AM
He is this team’s iteration of the Matthew Boyd role at half back. Not quite as hard, but better hops. Important player.

merantau
03-04-2021, 10:56 AM
Against North he did this amazing spin in the last to get free from congestion - he is going well down back.

Go_Dogs
03-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Liked the flexibility being able to swing him forward in the last to balance their man behind the ball. Good lead to space and finish.

bulldogtragic
03-04-2021, 12:03 PM
I’ve mentioned a couple of times, I went to a function at the end of 2015. Most people got a couple of minutes with Bevo. Apart from other things I asked him about the best position for Dale. He mentioned as a forward, but with his skill sets he would make an excellent half back.

So it’s been on Bevo’s mind since his first season. I wonder why it’s taken 5 years to make the move? Looks like a good move.

Hotdog60
03-04-2021, 12:23 PM
It may have had something to do about how crap we were in converting and if Bailey got enough of it he's a reliable shot for goal.

Testekill
03-04-2021, 09:13 PM
He's really taken a big step, there was also one point where he hit up Bruce in the open goal square when he'd have usual blazed away and taken the shot himself. I think his arm length helps him to play taller than what he is and he's been doing a good job of keeping his feet.

jeemak
04-04-2021, 12:16 AM
I’ve mentioned a couple of times, I went to a function at the end of 2015. Most people got a couple of minutes with Bevo. Apart from other things I asked him about the best position for Dale. He mentioned as a forward, but with his skill sets he would make an excellent half back.

So it’s been on Bevo’s mind since his first season. I wonder why it’s taken 5 years to make the move? Looks like a good move.

Good insight.

A bit like everything re our forward line since the Eade days or even before. We tend not to be able to put genuine forwards in there bar a few and end up using blokes who we can't squeeze into their most suited positions.

Probably like Naughton, if a player who can show himself as capable of being elite forward - which Dale has - then we try it for as long as we can until he proves he can't be.

macca
04-04-2021, 01:13 AM

May have been a long list of players he was trying to get to play half back, finally got around to turning Bailey into one. You know:
Roarke, Hayes, Crozier ( he was a forward), Williams and some of other players we have let go: Young, Lynch, Gowers, Trengrove, Suckling.

We had a surplus at some stage.

But its worked out well so far. Keeps Dale in the game and his intensity up. As a forward I noticed he did a bit of ball watching at times.

1eyedog
04-04-2021, 08:07 AM
I was really really upset with Duryea in the third quarter. We'd worked hard to stifle the Weagles forward movement in a rare moment and he fluffed his lines really badly and fumbled a ground ball and seemed to impossibly knee it to the Weagles players and it seemed at the time a bit of a pressure valve moment.

He is solid though, and I am beginning to not think he's a douche after all these years post his efforts in being a tough guy in the 2016 semi final at half time.

It was a terrible moment after Jooce had done a heap of hard work to gain an advantage.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-04-2021, 02:32 PM
Speaking of #15, how is his surname pronounced? Commentators are referring to him as Doo-ray lately but before this season he was commonly referred to as Due-ray-er. Which is it?
Dipthong in second syllable.

EasternWest
04-04-2021, 03:03 PM
Dipthong in second syllable.

Gezundheit.

Mofra
09-04-2021, 09:47 AM

I though he spent time at HB during pre-season two years ago.

merantau
11-04-2021, 09:02 PM
I was in the forward pocket Row C so got to see a lot of Bailey Dale efforts close up. I was very impressed by his attack on the ball and his kicking into the wind. In the last omn one occasion he found himself forward of the centre and did this outrageous spin and shimmy to break clear of congestion and drive the ball forward. He has some impressive skills.

Mofra
12-04-2021, 10:17 AM
I was wrong, Bailey Dale can be a gun HB player.

DOG GOD
12-04-2021, 10:54 AM
Very impressed with his attack on the ball which was always his Achilles heel. He has good skills, reads the ball well, and good pace. The way he’s playing he’s leaving the likes of Richards in the VFL. And, he’s a bit more diverse, in the fact he could be thrown fwd, being a good mark and a pretty good set shot.

AshMac
12-04-2021, 12:44 PM
His kick is truly a thing of beauty. Wouldnt want it in anyone else’s hand 30-40 meters out from goal and his disposal out of the backline has been just as good - beautiful transitioning 40-50m kicks to advantage

comrade
12-04-2021, 01:13 PM
His kick is truly a thing of beauty. Wouldnt want it in anyone else’s hand 30-40 meters out from goal and his disposal out of the backline has been just as good - beautiful transitioning 40-50m kicks to advantage

He should be the primary kick taker from kick outs. Has that faster trajectory than Caleb, makes it more difficult for teams to set up and we can clear the defensive 50 easier.

AshMac
12-04-2021, 01:15 PM
He should be the primary kick taker from kick outs. Has that faster trajectory than Caleb, makes it more difficult for teams to set up and we can clear the defensive 50 easier.

Has Daniel been the primary kicker the last 2 weeks? I don’t know stats but feels like Duryea has had more of late.

But agree - I’d put his long kicking ahead of our other backs. An inform Daniel everyday of the week for a 30-40m kick though

Axe Man
21-04-2021, 12:00 PM
Bailey Dale is the best kick in the AFL, and by a big margin.

This week they revealed the best and worst kicks in the competition after five rounds based on Champion Data’s kick rating formula that ranks not just the accuracy of kicks but how tough the kicks are and how much pressure players are under when they put ball to boot.

On that measure Dale is ranked 19.1 per cent above the AFL average as he flourishes in a new role up the field. Saint Hunter Clark is No.2 on the list at 13.5 per cent ahead of another Bulldog, Taylor Duryea (13.2 per cent).

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/purefooty/pure-footy-david-king-and-daniel-hoyne-reveal-the-afls-best-and-worst-kicks/news-story/ff9017bbac80dd02b73cb8bc64e70634)

Axe Man
21-04-2021, 12:13 PM
How good is it that 2 of the top 3 kicks in the league for the season so far (according to Champion Data) are playing in our backline and don't even include Daniel and Williams who are also excellent.

Is it any wonder teams are struggling to stifle our ball movement.

comrade
21-04-2021, 12:14 PM
The worst kick in our backline is Easton by a long way.

Happy Days
21-04-2021, 12:20 PM
Dale is surely going to cop some more heat now. Will be interesting to see how he holds up.

hujsh
21-04-2021, 12:44 PM
The worst kick in our backline is Easton by a long way.

Not just for his actual skills but for how long he takes to make any decision after a mark.

comrade
21-04-2021, 03:05 PM
Not just for his actual skills but for how long he takes to make any decision after a mark.

Yeah, the two go hand in hand. His lack of kicking skill means he really has to take his time to find a safer option, whereas Dale/Williams/Daniel generally just pull the trigger. He held on to the ball for way too long multiple times against the Suns.

AshMac
21-04-2021, 08:07 PM
How good is it that 2 of the top 3 kicks in the league for the season so far (according to Champion Data) are playing in our backline and don't even include Daniel and Williams who are also excellent.

Is it any wonder teams are struggling to stifle our ball movement.

Wasn’t that Hawthorns formula in the 05-10 period - prioritise good kicking...

macca
22-04-2021, 03:10 AM
I want to see Dale kick 60 m torpedo from the backline, down to treloar in the centre square, and he kicks it from 70m for a goal.

Ghost Dog
22-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Bailey Dale is the best kick in the AFL, and by a big margin.

This week they revealed the best and worst kicks in the competition after five rounds based on Champion Data’s kick rating formula that ranks not just the accuracy of kicks but how tough the kicks are and how much pressure players are under when they put ball to boot.

On that measure Dale is ranked 19.1 per cent above the AFL average as he flourishes in a new role up the field. Saint Hunter Clark is No.2 on the list at 13.5 per cent ahead of another Bulldog, Taylor Duryea (13.2 per cent).

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/purefooty/pure-footy-david-king-and-daniel-hoyne-reveal-the-afls-best-and-worst-kicks/news-story/ff9017bbac80dd02b73cb8bc64e70634)

There you go. Thanks for that.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2021, 11:38 PM
Best defender behind Keath, still kicking goals too!

GVGjr
23-04-2021, 11:39 PM
Best defender behind Keath, still kicking goals too!

Good footballer and getting better.

FrediKanoute
24-04-2021, 12:00 AM
I remember Wayne Carey last year making the comment that Dale could be anything he was so talented.....I guess we are seeing it now.

DOG GOD
24-04-2021, 12:05 AM
I remember Wayne Carey last year making the comment that Dale could be anything he was so talented.....I guess we are seeing it now.
Absolutely. Most improved by a mile.

merantau
24-04-2021, 12:16 AM
B. Dale is playing marvellous football. He is a penetrating kick and a smooth mover with a big bag of tricks.

Twodogs
24-04-2021, 12:26 AM
I want to see Dale kick 60 m torpedo from the backline, down to treloar in the centre square, and he kicks it from 70m for a goal.

Or to the Bont at the same distance with the same result.

This is a seriously good team with options all over the shop. Tonight when we lost a couple of midfield/goalkicking options Bailey Dale steps up in the last quarter and pinged a couple of goals to seal the game.

macca
24-04-2021, 12:38 AM
Almost got my wish tonight , with treloar last quarter goal which broke the plastics. Two good goals in junk time on or outside 50 shows what a beautiful kick he is.

angelopetraglia
24-04-2021, 01:12 AM
The 1:1 marking contest where he spoiled Greene when Greene was in the prime position to mark it for me was the best indication of how how much he has improved. Great awareness with the in flight to take Greene’s space and gave a hard spoil to kill the contest. I just dontsee him doing that in past seasons. Huge step up in confidence and form. So good to see.

Hotdog60
24-04-2021, 08:30 AM
The 1:1 marking contest where he spoiled Greene when Greene was in the prime position to mark it for me was the best indication of how how much he has improved. Great awareness with the in flight to take Greene’s space and gave a hard spoil to kill the contest. I just dontsee him doing that in past seasons. Huge step up in confidence and form. So good to see.

That was great to see and I'm liking this version of Bailey Dale.

SonofScray
24-04-2021, 09:44 AM

Was a really good contest, to then go and effect the scoreboard with 2 the other way was also pleasing.

EasternWest
24-04-2021, 09:58 AM
Was a really good contest, to then go and effect the scoreboard with 2 the other way was also pleasing.

Ridiculous how a talented but a bit soft, flakey half forward has transitioned to a committed and reliable defender. Good in the contest and doesn't hide from contact. And just a ridiculous kick.

I am a convert.

Twodogs
24-04-2021, 01:41 PM
Wasn’t that Hawthorns formula in the 05-10 period - prioritise good kicking...

They went all out on left footers and they would just slice their way through the zone defences that were the tactical norm back then. The zone would shift in front of them and the Hawthorn players would just chip the ball into the space that had just been vacated.

bornadog
24-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Ridiculous how a talented but a bit soft, flakey half forward has transitioned to a committed and reliable defender. Good in the contest and doesn't hide from contact. And just a ridiculous kick.

I am a convert.

Agreed.

I think if he stayed forward, he would not make it. He was too inconsistent, but he is becoming elite in the backline.

Testekill
24-04-2021, 02:25 PM
He's got good hands, a nice kick and is a smooth mover. He's what you'd want out of a player off the half back flank and he doesn't defend too badly either. At this point of time he probably has the most improved player award tied down.

Topdog
24-04-2021, 02:44 PM
Agreed.

I think if he stayed forward, he would not make it. He was too inconsistent, but he is becoming elite in the backline.

I think we have to be careful still.

He is having an elite run of 6 games but he did that in the fwd line too.

Extremely promising start to his switch to the backline but let's wait before we crown him

Happy Days
25-04-2021, 11:19 AM
I can't believe I'm gonna let Bailey Dale hurt me again.

bornadog
24-05-2021, 03:23 PM
On Saturday:

34 disposals
761 metres gained
11 score involvements
Eight intercepts
Five inside 50s
Two goals

The Bulldogs Bite
24-05-2021, 03:30 PM
Surely he's AA HBF right now?

Mantis
24-05-2021, 03:46 PM

He's the number 1 rated general defender as it stands so I'm thinking the AA spot is his to lose.. what a remarkable turn-around.

soupman
24-05-2021, 03:47 PM

The only thing going against him is the AA selectors policy of usually waiting for two good years before they reward someone.

MrMahatma
24-05-2021, 05:51 PM
Would surely get in the squad even if they want 2 good years before you make the final cut. Deserves to be listed on the HBF though at this stage. Having an unreal year. Wonder how he’ll go in our B&F?

Amazing career turn around

bornadog
24-05-2021, 05:53 PM
The only thing going against him is the AA selectors policy of usually waiting for two good years before they reward someone.

two years is a load of rubbish, no words. AA should be the best in each position on the ground.

Grantysghost
24-05-2021, 05:53 PM
He maybe the best kick in the game. It's a pleasure to watch not only the depth, but also the placement. He rarely puts it to disadvantage.

bornadog
24-05-2021, 05:55 PM
He maybe the best kick in the game. It's a pleasure to watch not only the depth, but also the placement. He rarely puts it to disadvantage.

Champion data rate him the best kick

EasternWest
24-05-2021, 05:56 PM
He's the number 1 rated general defender as it stands so I'm thinking the AA spot is his to lose.. what a remarkable turn-around.

Honestly, who woulda thunk it?

GVGjr
24-05-2021, 05:59 PM

Lets face it there shouldn't be a qualifying period, this isn't signing up to an insurance policy.

I normally don't care about Brownlows and AA etc but Dale deserves a spot in the AA best team.

Grantysghost
24-05-2021, 06:00 PM
Champion data rate him the best kick

We used to lament our kicking, well I did.

Now we have three half backs who are as good as it gets.

bornadog
24-05-2021, 06:10 PM
We used to lament our kicking, well I did.

Now we have three half backs who are as good as it gets.

The whole backline kicking is incredible, except Cordy.

comrade
24-05-2021, 06:14 PM

Never change Bevo.

Seriously, never change Bevo :D

Bulldog Joe
24-05-2021, 06:15 PM

I think it is more that the AA selectors being media people need someone to tell them who deserves to be in the team.

They simply take more notice when the previous year errors are highlighted to them.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2021, 11:34 AM
The whole backline kicking is incredible, except Cordy.

Cordy's flying knee is extremely accurate....

AshMac
26-05-2021, 01:45 PM
Cordy's flying knee is extremely accurate....

God bless that knee

Dancin' Douggy
26-05-2021, 03:51 PM
Praise the lord
God bless that knee

Ghost Dog
26-05-2021, 07:54 PM
Bevo continues his track record of resurrection via back line.
Matty Boyd take a bow. Bevo has done it again.

The way Dale is able to storm forward and kick the odd goal is a bit Dustin Fletcher-esque.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2021, 08:31 PM
Watched Dale interviewed now. He mentioned they lost Suckling as the defender that kicks goals on the run from outside 50. So he’s stepped up. The new Matt Suckling.

bornadog
26-05-2021, 09:46 PM
Watched Dale interviewed now. He mentioned they lost Suckling as the defender that kicks goals on the run from outside 50. So he’s stepped up. The new Matt Suckling.

Easternwest will love that.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2021, 09:48 PM

I posted just for that! :D

bornadog
26-05-2021, 09:49 PM

His admiration for Suckling is second to none.

Twodogs
26-05-2021, 10:34 PM
God bless that knee

The knee that won a flag!

Mantis
27-05-2021, 10:58 AM

Suckling wasn't playing as a defender though.

Bulldog Joe
27-05-2021, 11:21 AM

Not even when he lined up in the back half.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2021, 11:26 AM

Bailey mustn’t have been paying attention.

EasternWest
27-05-2021, 06:53 PM

His admiration for Suckling is second to none.

You lovable idiots.

Not even when he lined up in the back half.

Straight truth.

bornadog
16-06-2022, 02:51 PM
https://youtu.be/aMCMZ-qr6vg

DOG GOD
16-06-2022, 04:49 PM
https://youtu.be/aMCMZ-qr6vg

Fantastic news…my fave player.

whythelongface
16-06-2022, 04:52 PM
Fantastic news…my fave player.

Yep ditto. Love watching him play. Seems like a class act.

FrediKanoute
16-06-2022, 10:40 PM
Great signing. We are managing to sign our stars without selling the farm it would appear.

azabob
16-06-2022, 10:51 PM
Great signing. We are managing to sign our stars without selling the farm it would appear.

Very hard to know how much we are paying players. Only time will tell.

comrade
19-06-2022, 09:35 AM
Very hard to know how much we are paying players. Only time will tell.

As long as we have all the cash we need to retain Naughts (which I’m sure we’re keeping a very close eye on). He’s one of only two players I would consider truly untouchable on our list (Bont the other one). Timmy is probably close to joining this select group (mainly due to our complete lack of ruck depth) but for me, it’s Bont and Naughts as our two main men.