PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 4 Vs Brisbane 2021

Scraggers
17-03-2021, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 3 match against North Melbourne for our Round 4, 2021 match against Brisbane at Mars on Saturday arvo?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
02-04-2021, 04:37 PM
Bump

westbulldog
02-04-2021, 08:20 PM
Out Gardner Scott
In Cordy/Young Jong, all dependent on form.

GVGjr
02-04-2021, 08:26 PM
In - Lipinski and Young
Out - Gardner and Scott

Scott was solid today so it's a tough decision

Cordy would be an OK inclusion as well.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-04-2021, 08:34 PM
In - Lipinski and Young
Out - Gardner and Scott

Scott was solid today so it's a tough decision

Cordy would be an OK inclusion as well.

Lipinski sure took his opportunity today.

jeemak
02-04-2021, 08:43 PM
Lipinski sure took his opportunity today.

It's interesting the perception, because he didn't get much of the footy for someone who played pretty much a full game running through the midfield and forward areas.

Grantysghost
02-04-2021, 08:52 PM
Biggest ever win. One forced change only.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-04-2021, 08:59 PM
It's interesting the perception, because he didn't get much of the footy for someone who played pretty much a full game running through the midfield and forward areas.

I’m not saying he was excellent but I thought he was impactful. I don’t expect him to be a big accumulator. I think he’s more one who needs to make his possessions count as he’s a great kick and can find the goals. When he’s turning it over and not defending, he’s in big trouble. It’s probably why it may appear he has a shorter leash.

Dry Rot
02-04-2021, 09:15 PM
Is Schache available or injured?

Bumper Bulldogs
02-04-2021, 09:22 PM
Gardener out with McNeil

In Cordy and West. We have that many half backs, wood can play tall

bulldogsthru&thru
02-04-2021, 09:24 PM
Out: Gardner, Scott
In: Cordy, Khamis

We need height down back to tackle Brisbane’s big forwards.

GVGjr
02-04-2021, 09:44 PM
Is Schache available or injured?

He kicked 2 today, probably needs a week or two more at Footscray before he might be considered.

Dry Rot
02-04-2021, 09:56 PM
He kicked 2 today, probably needs a week or two more at Footscray before he might be considered.

Thanks.

The reason I ask is that I do not want see Young or Cordy playing on Daniher.

This is one game when Naughton should play back.

Dry Rot
02-04-2021, 09:56 PM

Are there match reports of Footscray games?

comrade
02-04-2021, 09:57 PM
Thanks.

I like your thinking.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-04-2021, 09:58 PM
Thanks.

It's unfortunate Gardner got injured. I was looking forward to him playing on Hipwood to see how he'd go after getting towelled up against him last year.

Vred
02-04-2021, 10:01 PM
Out: Scott, Gardner, McNeil
In: Cordy, Schache, Cavarra

Naughton back all game on Daniher, Schache and Cavarra in the forward line, Cordy on Hipwood.

jeemak
02-04-2021, 10:13 PM
I think you need to bring Cavarra in for McNeil, Cordy in for Gardner and possibly Jong for Scott. We need some additional tackling pressure between the arcs to really put the heat on Brisbane's midfielders and Jong can do that. If we can be really tight there it makes life easier for our defenders.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-04-2021, 10:15 PM
I get we're small down back against the Lions' tall forwards. But I think putting Naughton down back makes us the challenger. We need to go into this game with an attacking mindset. They need to beat us. Naughton played well up forward and he needs to stay there. If they start getting on top of us, sure make the switch. But we can't start like that.

Remember the game is in Ballarat so the ball will swirl around a bit. Current forecast has a bit of rain as well. Won't be easy for their talls.

bornadog
02-04-2021, 10:30 PM
In Lew young

Out: Gardner

hujsh
02-04-2021, 10:42 PM
Are there match reports of Footscray games?

There's discussion and reports from those who catch it in person in the VFL 'season start date announced' thread.

I assume the club does something as well on the site

DOG GOD
02-04-2021, 10:43 PM
Thanks.

I like this a lot Dry Rot

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-04-2021, 10:50 PM
I get we're small down back against the Lions' tall forwards. But I think putting Naughton down back makes us the challenger. We need to go into this game with an attacking mindset. They need to beat us. Naughton played well up forward and he needs to stay there. If they start getting on top of us, sure make the switch. But we can't start like that.

Remember the game is in Ballarat so the ball will swirl around a bit. Current forecast has a bit of rain as well. Won't be easy for their talls.

Agree 100%
If the club are going all in with Bruce and Naughts up forward, then this is a game where we've got to back that in.
If we lose and Daniher and or Hipwood play a part due to poor defensive structures ( as opposed to our midfield not turning up), I'd rather learn it in round 4, than in a final.

If our midfield is dominant,especially around stoppages, then Daniher and Hipwood will be kicking grass for most of the game.

Obviously North were undermanned, and were no match for our talls up forward...but that only became an issue once we started owning the midfield contest.

boydogs
03-04-2021, 12:21 AM
Hipwood is like the opposite of Crameri, he's tall but plays like a small. I wouldn't bring Cordy or Young in for him

soupman
03-04-2021, 12:25 AM
Screw the calls for Naughton to go back. He has to stay forward, he is a big part of the reason our attack is working atm, sending him back from the get go reeks is what a scared team would do, thats not us.

Neither Cordy nor Young inspire me as replacements for Gardner based on VFL form, although on the plus side while Gardner has been good I'm not sure you need much more than someone who is competent aerially and can adhere to team structures t replace him. I would be comfortable with whichever of those two and Khamis the coaching staff can do those things and turn the ball over the least when they get it. Khamis would be fun.

McNeill has been okish and has shown some of the attributes we are selecting him for, but he isn't at the required level yet and as much as I love playing young guys indefinitely for literally no reason we should place the same value on his spot in the side as we did for Mitch Wallis. Cavarra seems the best performed of the small half forwards in the VFL, Weightman could be a smokey.

Lipinski can stay as sub, he seems to have to work harder for his spot than others but Im not sure anything he did tonight would have changed anyones opinion of him from the last game. Scott also remains, mainly because I'm not even sure what position he was tonight so have no idea who to replace him with, and I'm not keen to make 2/3 unforced changes to a team that won by 128.

comrade
03-04-2021, 12:28 AM
Khamis would be good fun #UnleashBuku

bornadog
03-04-2021, 12:38 AM
Khamis would be good fun #UnleashBuku

Daniher and Hipwood are both over 201cm. Buku is 189cm, and would be conceding alot of height.

I think we have no choice but to throw Young in.

divvydan
03-04-2021, 01:38 AM
Certainly one of Young or Cordy has to come in to replace Gardner. Khamis too small and we already have Wood playing that midsized extra cover role. Inclined to go with Young personally but MC will have observed them much closer and have a better idea of who to choose. Otherwise I don't really see any point changing the team right now.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-04-2021, 01:41 AM
Certainly one of Young or Cordy has to come in to replace Gardner. Khamis too small and we already have Wood playing that midsized extra cover role. Inclined to go with Young personally but MC will have observed them much closer and have a better idea of who to choose. Otherwise I don't really see any point changing the team right now.

Based on Bevo's presser, I'd say Lewis Young gets the nod.

soupman
03-04-2021, 01:47 AM

I see your point but it isn't as if Cordy has been decent on anyone of any height in the last few years (and only has 4 cms on Khamis and less of a jump) and Young is possibly an even worse body on body defender.

I like the Young of late 2019, but VFL reports have hardly been glowing and like Beveridge I love shiny new things and Khamis is that. If Khamis is competent at reading the flight of the ball in the air and getting a spoil in maybe 50% of the time and can win more than the occasional one on one I'm not sure he is ay worse than any of the other key defender options regardless of height.

I've made my feelings known as to our lack of even trying to address our dearth of competent key defenders, the uninspiring options available to us this week is a very foreseeable consequence of our neglect in this area.

Left field option, but could Schache be considered? No chance of getting a game till one of Naughton, Bruce and English get injured and lets face it as soon as he doesn't kick 3 goals in a game he is straight back out for one of them. Is similiar dimensions to Gardner, but a better user of the ball. Not an amazing overhead mark but just needs to get a fist in, not amazing one on one but none of the others are either. Could be worth a shot at some point instead of him being the 4th in line key forward, a position I don't really see him being actually good at when the heat is on.

FrediKanoute
03-04-2021, 05:48 AM
Lewy Young for me. Time to bring him in and see how he goes. As for playing on Danihar or Hipwood, he is not a kid anymore. He has had 3/4 pre-seasons. Its time to step up.

Hotdog60
03-04-2021, 10:02 AM
I think McNeil is showing slight improvements each week and could have had 3 goals last night.

Would Buku have enough leap for Brisbane's tall's I kind of like the idea of giving him a shot and Wood looks to be jumping well again.
Bevo will most likely go with Lewis but from the great WOOF match reports we've been getting Buku has been the more deserving.

Hotdog60
03-04-2021, 10:09 AM
Just watched Bevo's Brief and I would be very certain by his comments that Young will be the only change unless somebody comes up sore.

Mantis
03-04-2021, 10:15 AM
It’s hard to make changes after such a big win, but I think we need to keep things fresh.

In - Young, Jong, Cavarra

Out - Gardner, Scott, McNeil

hujsh
03-04-2021, 11:20 AM
Just watched Bevo's Brief and I would be very certain by his comments that Young will be the only change unless somebody comes up sore.

Just on that, jeez it must sting to be beaten so badly that that opposition coach pities how badly you've been beaten up and the scrutiny that will be put on you.

Go_Dogs
03-04-2021, 11:28 AM
In - Young, Lipinski

Out - Gardner, Scott

mjp
03-04-2021, 12:00 PM
Neither Cordy nor Young inspire me as replacements for Gardner.

Hands up who could have imagined such words being written 12-months ago.

Mantis
03-04-2021, 12:25 PM

Did you have Wallis & Lipinski going out this week?

Hotdog60
03-04-2021, 12:29 PM
Did you have Wallis & Lipinski going out this week?

No I was in the band wagon for Scott and McNeil.

Bevo's brief said we needed a tall so that leads towards Young as our only tallish defender unless Bevo moves some magnets around.

Grantysghost
03-04-2021, 12:50 PM

God he copped it disproportionately for a guy who'd played a handful of games.
Lewis Young might not deserve his chance on form but timing is everything, hope he does well.

Mantis
03-04-2021, 12:55 PM

Bevo's brief said we needed a tall so that leads towards Young as our only tallish defender unless Bevo moves some magnets around.

I guess the point is no one saw the 2 moves coming for this week so who knows what happens for the Brissie game... except of course the forced replacement for Gardner.

whythelongface
03-04-2021, 01:08 PM
It’s hard to make changes after such a big win, but I think we need to keep things fresh.

In - Young, Jong, Cavarra

Out - Gardner, Scott, McNeil

Hard to drop anyone but like you I think rotations are important. Bringing in Jong, Cavarra and others who are close to senior selection also provides them with reward for being consistent in the twos.

Also do you think Lipinski should be an inclusion? He would be ahead of both Cavarra and Jong.

Ins Young, Lipinski, Jong

Outs Gardner, Scott, McNeil

Hotdog60
03-04-2021, 01:14 PM
I guess the point is no one saw the 2 moves coming for this week so who knows what happens for the Brissie game... except of course the forced replacement for Gardner.

Yeah I wouldn't have seen Wally getting dropped although he was by rights under the gun and I thought Lippa did alright.
We may see Bruce go back after 10 goals and a small forward come in and a tall as the Medical sub just in case.

I've never commented much on the MC like others because I wouldn't really have a clue but it is fun to see what happens especially when it gets bagged and in game it comes off. :)

soupman
03-04-2021, 02:19 PM

To be fair Gardner doesn't inspire me either, although atm i like him marginally more than the others.

AshMac
03-04-2021, 02:28 PM
Gardiner > Cordy (would love it to be Young, but have no idea how he is tracking)

Cant really see any other changes justified after that win, however we dropped Wally after a great win against the eagles so if any other changes can see Scott > West being possible.

Before I Die
03-04-2021, 02:38 PM

I know that a player's height is wholly dependent upon the source you are quoting, but I did notice that the Footy Record from round 2 had added a few cm to a number of our younger players and some not so young.

Cordy 195cm
Ugle-Hagan 197cm
Young 201cm
English 207cm
Schache 201cm
Bruce 198cm

The other players look to be unchanged, though I didn't check everyone.

The club never seems to update heights after players are drafted and this season is not even listing new player heights. If the Footy Record is correct then perhaps it is time it was acknowledged that Cordy is big enough to be a KPD. Whether he is good enough is an entirely different question.

bornadog
03-04-2021, 05:03 PM

Based on what Bevo said on SEN this morning, Young will come in. As Mantis says, who knows who else is in the gun.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-04-2021, 05:24 PM
Condions may not suit their tall forwards.
Maybe Baku for Gardner could help in starting a chain from the backline.
Jong is ready I would pick him for Scott.
Cavarra v McNeil?
Cavarra is more likely to snag goals so Cav.

Grantysghost
03-04-2021, 11:10 PM
AFL Rd 4 - Match Time Start Change:

Sat April 10
Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions
Mars Stadium
1:35pm AEST (formerly 1:45pm AEST)

This game has been brought forward to ensure minimal crossover with the Brisbane Lions AFLW team’s Preliminary Final match against Collingwood.

Jeanette54
04-04-2021, 02:37 PM
My guess for Gardner's replacement would be Cordy. He is tough and experienced and won't give Daniher or Hipwood the chance to have a contact free leap for the ball.

Its kind of ironic, that after being pilloried on this forum, Gardner is now seen as a real loss to the backline. Even BeeTee could be heard saying, "they seem a pretty solid back six", referring to our defense.

Jam Donuts
04-04-2021, 06:29 PM
Lewy Young for me. Time to bring him in and see how he goes. As for playing on Danihar or Hipwood, he is not a kid anymore. He has had 3/4 pre-seasons. Its time to step up.

It would have to be his last chance for him, how many years do you get to break into a team, to be fair he has done nothing to indicate he can play at this level, the other Young now at Norf is a case in point, many Woof members used to call for his inclusion, but again he is not good enough, Cordy first i hope.

hujsh
04-04-2021, 06:47 PM
It would have to be his last chance for him, how many years do you get to break into a team, to be fair he has done nothing to indicate he can play at this level, the other Young now at Norf is a case in point, many Woof members used to call for his inclusion, but again he is not good enough, Cordy first i hope.

Wow!

Don't tell Danjul I guess

Danjul
04-04-2021, 07:26 PM
A bit harsh, Young had 16 possessions and 7 marks in a team that was smashed.The AFL website gave him 77 points for his game.

For comparison they gave Keath 70 points for his 16 possessions and 6 marks.

I think the WOOF members were good judges and, as you should, I apologise to them because I didn’t see his talent either.

jazzadogs
04-04-2021, 11:29 PM
A bit harsh, Young had 16 possessions and 7 marks in a team that was smashed.The AFL website gave him 77 points for his game.

For comparison they gave Keath 70 points for his 16 possessions and 6 marks.

I think the WOOF members were good judges and, as you should, I apologise to them because I didn’t see his talent either.

Most of his possessions came as uncontested marks/handball receives in defence, while Norf tried to stem the flow and hold possession. He was a deer in headlights in contested situations, and not very good in 1v1 situations.

Danjul
05-04-2021, 12:39 AM
Most of his possessions came as uncontested marks/handball receives in defence, while Norf tried to stem the flow and hold possession. He was a deer in headlights in contested situations, and not very good in 1v1 situations.
How old is he? How many games has he played? (It’s about 10) How long has he been at the club?

He played on the full back line, opponents Bruce, English, Bont in the selected teams with Naughton close by.

At least he didn’t put his teammate, who was taking an uncontested mark, out of the game for a few months.

Whoever assigns the points on the AFL website thought he was a lot better than McNeil and Vandermeer. I assume that they are independent.

I saw a young kid playing against probably the most talented team in the competition and thought he did OK.

macca
05-04-2021, 02:44 AM
I can see why we traded out Lachie Young. His not got any speed , way to loose when manning up and really did not see him on enough links out the back , which I assume his tank may not be adequate, so no dash or carry out of defense

I want Lewis Young to be cementing a spot this year due to unfortunate Gardner injury . His time is now and he needs to grab it and show his AFL standard .

GVGjr
05-04-2021, 06:52 AM
I can see why we traded out Lachie Young. His not got any speed , way to loose when manning up and really did not see him on enough links out the back , which I assume his tank may not be adequate, so no dash or carry out of defense

I want Lewis Young to be cementing a spot this year due to unfortunate Gardner injury . His time is now and he needs to grab it and show his AFL standard .

Lachie Young is a 3rd tall type defender and he didn't have a lot of quality and experience around him. Not having Tarrant and Corr really exposed him. I don't think his tank is an issue but I will look at his progress over the next year or two and see if we let go of a good one or not.

Lewis Young has a great opportunity now and I hope he is ready to grasp it. We have the Lions, Suns and then GWS in the next 3 weeks and he will have some challenging opponents to compare his progress against.

Hotdog60
05-04-2021, 08:31 AM
I thought we wanted to keep Young and it was his decision to leave. I could be wrong.

GVGjr
05-04-2021, 09:00 AM
I thought we wanted to keep Young and it was his decision to leave. I could be wrong.

Yes, he wanted more senior game opportunities and he will get that with North.

comrade
05-04-2021, 09:02 AM
Any chance we can trade in Kozzy for the rest of the year. I’m in love.

DOG GOD
05-04-2021, 09:30 AM
Melb trumped us in the draft by taking Kossy the pick before us wasn’t it? And we got Weightman ?

bornadog
05-04-2021, 09:32 AM
Melb trumped us in the draft by taking Kossy the pick before us wasn’t it? And we got Weightman ?

Pickett went 12th, and Weightman 15

DOG GOD
05-04-2021, 09:36 AM
Pickett went 12th, and Weightman 15

Ah ok, thanks Bornadog

comrade
05-04-2021, 09:45 AM
Our interest in Kozzy was made public and Melbourne traded up to get in before us.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-04-2021, 09:53 AM
Our interest in Kozzy was made public and Melbourne traded up to get in before us.

Yep. Imagine if we’d got him. Him, Marra, Naughton is a scary future forward line. Problem solved. It’s annoying but hopefully Cody can come good.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2021, 02:22 PM
Still don't rate Lachie Young and I was glad he left. Good luck to him at North but I wouldn't expect he'll feature long term.

Pickett looks great, real shame we couldn't land him.

1eyedog
05-04-2021, 03:22 PM
Jong a massive chance to come in this week.

bornadog
05-04-2021, 03:27 PM

Who goes out?

bornadog
05-04-2021, 03:28 PM
Still don't rate Lachie Young and I was glad he left. Good luck to him at North but I wouldn't expect he'll feature long term .

I never rated him. Gee he made a lot or errors on Friday.

1eyedog
05-04-2021, 03:58 PM
Who goes out?

Good question.

DOG GOD
05-04-2021, 04:58 PM

Good, we will require his tackling strength...maybe a rest for Scott ?

1eyedog
05-04-2021, 05:02 PM
Good, we will require his tackling strength...maybe a rest for Scott ?

I think he's the obvious choice. He is getting better and better each week though, kicked a nice goal and it will be hard to drop him but Jong is in too good of form to continue to ignore. Like you say he applies fantastic pressure, is big and physical and what he lacks in disposal efficiency he makes up for above his head as well as versatility and athleticism.

The Adelaide Connection
06-04-2021, 12:52 AM

How exactly did that happen? I assume a dozen clubs would have interviewed him and clubs normally keep their cards close to their chests.

I do remember something along these lines at the time, but aside someone from inside leaking it out I thought everyone is just working on guesswork.

dog town
06-04-2021, 05:13 AM
How exactly did that happen? I assume a dozen clubs would have interviewed him and clubs normally keep their cards close to their chests.

I do remember something along these lines at the time, but aside someone from inside leaking it out I thought everyone is just working on guesswork. Seems to have happened last year with James Rowe as well.

soupman
06-04-2021, 08:18 AM
Seems to have happened last year with James Rowe as well.

Seems we have a South Australian secrecy issue

dogman
06-04-2021, 10:07 AM
Player agents typically do all the leaking of information.

Cyberdoggie
06-04-2021, 05:48 PM
I think he's the obvious choice. He is getting better and better each week though, kicked a nice goal and it will be hard to drop him but Jong is in too good of form to continue to ignore. Like you say he applies fantastic pressure, is big and physical and what he lacks in disposal efficiency he makes up for above his head as well as versatility and athleticism.

Kicked some nice long goals in the practice match too.

Cyberdoggie
06-04-2021, 05:54 PM
With Gardner out, it will be either Cordy or Young to replace him.
We will need someone to go with Hipwood, who carved us up last year. I'm tipping Young might be the better fit
over Cordy.

I thought McNeil showed glimpses of something special, perhaps limited ground ball opportunities with the key forwards getting lots of it hurting him and Vanders. If he comes out it could be Cavarra. Bevo mentioned Wallis missed out because of the balance with 2 rucks and 1 having to play forward. So i guess he see's him more as a tall, in which case he will miss again.

Happy Days
06-04-2021, 05:59 PM
Jong is a good shout to bring in this week. Can play anywhere and is even an option to play on Neale.

Scott really isn’t doing it for me to be perfectly honest.

comrade
06-04-2021, 06:04 PM
Jong is a good shout to bring in this week. Can play anywhere and is even an option to play on Neale.

Yeah, I really can't see what he's bringing to the table over and above others on the fringe. Every team has blokes in spots 20-22 that opposition fans reckon suck but as a supporter you can kind of understand why they're getting picked. With Scott (and to a lesser extent McNeil), I don't get it.

Anyone of Cavarra, West or Jong would be more effective.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-04-2021, 09:22 PM
With Gardner out, it will be either Cordy or Young to replace him.
We will need someone to go with Hipwood, who carved us up last year. I'm tipping Young might be the better fit
over Cordy.

Would we be better to entertain the concept of Naughton to the backline instead of Cordy or Young. that would mean that we could blood Jamarra in the forward line while Bruce has his tale up.

I suppose it comes down to - is Jamarra a better footballer than Cordy or Young and will Bevo want to blood him early the season or hold him back

comrade
06-04-2021, 09:26 PM
Would we be better to entertain the concept of Naughton to the backline instead of Cordy or Young. that would mean that we could blood Jamarra in the forward line while Bruce has his tale up.

I suppose it comes down to - is Jamarra a better footballer than Cordy or Young and will Bevo want to blood him early the season or hold him back

Marra can barely run out a half of VFL, he's miles off a debut.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-04-2021, 10:25 PM
Marra can barely run out a half of VFL, he's miles off a debut.

Young it is then.

soupman
06-04-2021, 11:56 PM
Would we be better to entertain the concept of Naughton to the backline

Nearly had me on board prior to the season but based on what we've seen so far no way.

Naughton has made some great progress this season. He seems to have somehow gained chemistry from nowhere with Bruce, is taking marks deep forward again, importantly is winning easy ball leading up the wings, has managed to get continuity thus far, and considering the ball spends about 80% of it's time pinging around our forward half it seems foolish to take him out of the game by sending him back. Sure if the opposition is on top send him back but I have been very happy with him up forward and he and Bruce have been a very hard duo to stop.

macca
07-04-2021, 02:18 AM

In ; jong , Young ( only because Bevo mentioned one presser)
Out: Lipinski or scott , Gardner(injured )

I am not sold on. Lipinski . Had least meters gained out of all the mids , missed a couple of good opportunities at goal and does not have penetrating kick. His tall enough to so should be taking more marks and does not have the explosive speed

Scotty has had a taste at AFL and needs to go back to work on his kicking first
I like what i saw of McNeil . Knows how to find the ball , good forward pressure And is reasonable quick . Needs to learn to kick more reliably .

Both scott and McNeil good stories on late pickups

JOng will be bring his big body , explosive pace and marking. I was thinking of JOng as the evolving tagger. He could be hard matchup

The Bulldogs Bite
07-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Nearly had me on board prior to the season but based on what we've seen so far no way.

Naughton has made some great progress this season. He seems to have somehow gained chemistry from nowhere with Bruce, is taking marks deep forward again, importantly is winning easy ball leading up the wings, has managed to get continuity thus far, and considering the ball spends about 80% of it's time pinging around our forward half it seems foolish to take him out of the game by sending him back. Sure if the opposition is on top send him back but I have been very happy with him up forward and he and Bruce have been a very hard duo to stop.

This x2.

I was an advocate of Naughton back, but it can't happen now - at least not for the moment. I do think there's moments in games it'll be required though, in which case English can pinch hit as the second KPF.

The early signs of Bruce/Naughton in 2021 are very encouraging. Both working really hard, both taking marks in contested situations but also on the lead, both hitting the scoreboard. Underrated duo so far.

Happy Days
07-04-2021, 11:02 AM
Yeah Naughton is our best pressure guy by heaps, and our second best (McNeil) is probably not in our best 22. He’s been absolutely vital in our scoring efforts if not necessarily kicking a stack of goals himself (not like he’s kicking none either though). Plus the threat he provides in the air makes all of our other guys better before he even does anything.

I’ve also got grave doubts about the future of pure intercept KPDs. Look at how fragile, ironically, Naughton made McGovern look against West Coast, particularly late in the game. We know that Naughton’s big strength is his marking and the potential to create scoring launches it brings, but marking inside 50 also brings scores, and while we have several years of data now to suggest he can do that, his skill at one on one defending is at best an educated guess based on some encouraging play in 2018 (when he spent a lot of time forward anyway) and against a bunch of teenagers.

Basically, it would be robbing Peter to let Paul invest in crypto. Also, do not pretend for even one second that you all aren’t more entertained by him by what he represents at CHF than at CHB. He’s proven a few times now to be worth the price of admission alone. Its meant to be at least some fun some of the time.

EasternWest
07-04-2021, 11:39 AM
Also, do not pretend for even one second that you all aren’t more entertained by him by what he represents at CHF than at CHB. He’s proven a few times now to be worth the price of admission alone. Its meant to be at least some fun some of the time.

Seconded. Naughton stays forward.

Go_Dogs
07-04-2021, 01:09 PM
I’m sticking with:

In - Young, Lipinski

Out - Gardner, Scott

But also could see just the one forced change with Young in for Gardner and Lipinski again donning the sub vest.

GVGjr
07-04-2021, 07:48 PM
If McInerney isn't fit would we consider going into the game with just one ruckman?

comrade
07-04-2021, 08:00 PM
If McInerney isn't fit would we consider going into the game with just one ruckman?

I don't mind it and I'm sure Bevo is considering it, but I think the 3 pronged key forward set up is working pretty well and can potentially stretch the Lions defence.

If it's blowing a gale and raining, going smaller probably makes sense but Martin is the sort of ruckman suited to those conditions anyway.

bornadog
07-04-2021, 08:23 PM
I don't mind it and I'm sure Bevo is considering it, but I think the 3 pronged key forward set up is working pretty well and can potentially stretch the Lions defence.

If it's blowing a gale and raining, going smaller probably makes sense but Martin is the sort of ruckman suited to those conditions anyway.

I am sure Martin would be itching to play against his old club. I am happy to play the two ruckman

comrade
07-04-2021, 08:26 PM
I sure Martin would be itching to play against his old club. I am happy to play the two ruckman

Yeah, don't mess with a winning formula. The week after against the Suns would be a good time to give Stef a week off.

1eyedog
07-04-2021, 09:23 PM
Naughty forward means that the opposition has to put their best aerialist on him which is almost always their best interceptor. It takes this player out of the game for them (ala McGovern) as they have to play with accountability.

FrediKanoute
09-04-2021, 04:25 AM
For me:

In Lippa, Young
Out JJ, Gardiner

azabob
09-04-2021, 07:59 AM
For me:

In Lippa, Young
Out JJ, Gardiner

As Lippa was subbed in does he need to be an in? Or is he already in?
Serious question

1eyedog
09-04-2021, 08:56 AM
As Lippa was subbed in does he need to be an in? Or is he already in?
Serious question

He's a definite in so would need to be omitted. Medical subs go down as playing a game even if they don't take the field.

Rocco Jones
09-04-2021, 03:43 PM
In
Young
Jong (Ballarat conditions)
Cavarra (with our mid depth, I think we can go with role guys more and he deserves a go but get he isn't selected)

Out
Gardner
Scott
McNeill (I actually don't mind having him or Scott in the side, just think there might be better options. Would have McNeill for his speed if at Marvel)

Scott or McNeill as sub.

MrMahatma
09-04-2021, 08:18 PM
So only change at this stage is Gardner out and Lippinski in?

I’d expect a late change. We need more height down back.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-04-2021, 08:34 PM

Seems so. Anticlimatic.
What are the rules for late changes; pretty broad?
Jong in please.
Reading the flight of the ball will be more important than height.
Long studs please. No slipping over. They better have been practising in them!

macca
09-04-2021, 08:52 PM
Mc not messing with winning formula. I am Glad Lipinksi gets in and tries to hold his spot . I really would like him to improve a lot this year. Would be great to see him take his game to another level .
There is some depth now for midfield places , so everyone needs to be playing on the edge
scoot and McNeill keep their spots , so they must be doing all the right things in terms of forward pressure

So where does that leave Cordy ? Is he now 3rd in line for defense spot?

kruder
09-04-2021, 10:13 PM
Imagine if your Young and Bevo doesn’t choose a Tall to replace Gardiner, It would break your heart surely. We need to think more than just this game IMO the next 6 week stretch lets pick either Young or Cordy and back them in.

kruder
09-04-2021, 10:35 PM
Iiii

jeemak
09-04-2021, 10:36 PM
Surely we're going to show their talls a bit of respect and make a late change.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-04-2021, 10:54 PM

Very unusual to have both Lew Young and Cordy selected as emergencies which would suggest one will come in to compete against the Lions tall forwards.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-04-2021, 11:33 PM
Very unusual to have both Lew Young and Cordy selected as emergencies which would suggest one will come in to compete against the Lions tall forwards.

I reckon it might be a wait and see with the weather. If it's slightly dry we'll see Young come in.

soupman
09-04-2021, 11:55 PM
I reckon it might be a wait and see with the weather. If it's slightly dry we'll see Young come in.

Yeah I reckon this is the play. I think we are gambling that talls will be useless if it's wet so no point bringing more in. Especially if your two tall options are not great at the ground ball, not overly clean or composed in traffic and your preferred option (Young) isn't exactly overly physical.

Jong seems the right type though, so maybe a late change could be him in if it is wet.

josie
10-04-2021, 12:08 AM
If it’s wet why not bring in Cavarra? He could feed off anything Naughts or Bruce bring to ground. Can see argument for Jong too. You’d think if either come in it would be for Scott. McNeill probably done enough to hold his spot plus he is quick.

azabob
10-04-2021, 09:19 AM
If it’s wet why not bring in Cavarra? He could feed off anything Naughts or Bruce bring to ground. Can see argument for Jong too. You’d think if either come in it would be for Scott. McNeill probably done enough to hold his spot plus he is quick.

Hasn’t Cavarra played in the wet before and done two fifths of not much?

comrade
10-04-2021, 09:30 AM

He's played 3 games, 1 under the roof at Marvel and 2 in fine conditions in QLD. Kicked at least 1 goal in each.

Bulldog4life
10-04-2021, 10:16 AM
Bevo might do a Peter Foster with Naughty. Play him with the wind end each quarter. Somehow don't think so.

GVGjr
10-04-2021, 10:18 AM
Bevo might do a Peter Foster with Naughty. Play him with the wind end each quarter. Somehow don't think so.

It was a game in Ballarat where Bevo swung Naughton forward, could he he now have something else planned for him?

dog town
10-04-2021, 10:37 AM
My guess is it’s more about wind than rain and we will play short. Much easier to defend if the wind is going across the ground or even diagonal. You know where the ball is likely to go and it’s harder for teams to open up angles for one on one contests.

Testekill
10-04-2021, 11:01 AM

He also cut his teeth at Point Gellibrand so he's used to the wet and heavy winds.