PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 5 Vs Gold Coast 2021

Scraggers
17-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 4 match against Brisbane for our Round 5, 2021 match against Gold Coast at Marvel on Saturday arvo?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
10-04-2021, 04:17 PM
Bump

Happy Days
10-04-2021, 05:18 PM
I’d give Vandermeer a spell. I really like him but he just does something super undisciplined every week and has been lacking a bit for impact.

bulldogtragic
10-04-2021, 05:19 PM
Out

Vandermeer. Until you demonstrate you won’t give away dumb frees and dumb 50’s, stay at the vfl level.
Scott. Nothing personal, but we have better right now.
McNeil. Ditto. Work on your craft at Footscray.

In

Cavarra. Play him or delist him.
Schache. He has better speed and endurance, and skills than Scott. He can play this role for limited disposals better.
Lipinski. An upgrade on them.

But I doubt any changes will be made.

Testekill
10-04-2021, 05:51 PM
Out

Vandermeer
Scott
McNeil
Daniel

IN

Cavarra
West
Lipinski
????

Daniel was really bad today, as bad as you'll ever see him play.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 05:53 PM
Out- vandameer, McNeil, scott
In- lipinski, west, cavarra

3 tackles between scott and McNeil on a day like today, is just not good enough...sorry.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 06:03 PM
Might be hard to swing too many changes, given Footscray aren't playing a game this week.

Out - Vandermeer
In - Lipinski

westbulldog
10-04-2021, 06:16 PM
Out Scott, almost invisible in games so far.

In West or Lipinski

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2021, 06:29 PM
Out - Scott and NcNeil
In - Jong and Cavarra

(Lipinski plays and Jong is sub).

We may be tempted to rest Stef.

comrade
10-04-2021, 06:31 PM
Out - Scott and NcNeil
In - Jong and Cavarra

(Lipinski plays and Jong is sub).

We may be tempted to rest Stef.

Unleash the Sweet Thang?

GVGjr
10-04-2021, 06:31 PM
I'll ask the same question as last week, given the Suns are now light on for ruckman would we given Martin a spell and maybe look at Schache? 7
Hard to justify given Tims form up forward but at some point we might consider it.

DOG GOD
10-04-2021, 06:39 PM
I'll ask the same question as last week, given the Suns are now light on for ruckman would we given Martin a spell and maybe look at Schache? 7
Hard to justify given Tims form up forward but at some point we might consider it.

It’s certainly something we would think about. I’d certainly rest Stef in this sort of situation, rather than resting him on an interstate trip.

Would we bite the bullet and go back to playing only the one ruck ? I’ve got a feeling Schache won’t be seen unless it’s absolutely necessary (Naughton and Bruce both miss for some horrid reason)

Vred
10-04-2021, 07:06 PM
It’s Bevo. No changes, for some bloody reason.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2021, 07:35 PM
It’s Bevo. No changes, for some bloody reason.

Its worked ok so far, or are we still sacking him?

Happy Days
10-04-2021, 07:44 PM
Its worked ok so far, or are we still sacking him?

Imagine how good we could’ve gone if we sacked Bevo though? We could be even more 4-0!

Bumper Bulldogs
11-04-2021, 08:17 AM
Out - Vandermeer, Scout, McNeil and Martin

In - West, Lipinski, JUH and Sweet. Vandermeer as the sub.

I would love West in as he needs to be given a chance to hold down a spot in the side. I also think it’s time to see JUH. Was told he hadn’t yet got the tank to run out a game. It will not matter against GCS and it will set the media and support base on fire.

Go_Dogs
11-04-2021, 09:32 AM
In: West, Lipinski
Out: McNeil, Martin

Go in with English + Young to chop out in the ruck, rest Martin and give West a run from McNeil. Vanders is next in line for a period back at VFL level, but he escapes this week. Wally next man in for me.

bornadog
11-04-2021, 10:10 AM
No way I would be resting Martin, he is in good form and won the ruck duels yesterday. Lets keep him going and if he needs a rest, then maybe mid season to get him ready for the run home.

Out Scott

In Lippa

Rocco Jones
11-04-2021, 10:38 AM
A few points
- With McNeil, I think a lot of is to do with his explosive speed and role it allows him to play in the side. I am not saying I am sold on this and he isn't getting into the game enough but it isn't just about picking the 22 best individual players. We have a stacked midfield, picking the next best midfielder probably isn't going to work.
- Stef being rested, it's really hard to tell without being in the inner sanctum. He is providing us a lot of value both directly in contest and how he frees up English. In terms of resting, English and Stef have more of a shared ruck partnership than most, so he is getting his rest there too. If a rest is best, great, would like to see Sweet in. If not, cool.
- Appreciate Scott is a disciplined player, fits the aforementioned role thing but he is definitely on the side of not doing enough for mine.

In: Lippa
Out: Scott
Medical Sub: Scott (I think mainly just because it is easier with the VFL guys missing this week and a nod to Scott's attitude)

1eyedog
11-04-2021, 01:23 PM
Unleash the Sweet Thang?

GC dont have a ruckman

Outs: Scott with Lipinski into the 22.

Agreed if we are going to manage Martin this is the game to do it.

GVGjr
11-04-2021, 01:44 PM
GC dont have a ruckman

Outs: Scott with Lipinski into the 22.

Agreed if we are going to manage Martin this is the game to do it.

We may or may not need to manage him but as you point out this is the week to consider it.

I think we will go in unchanged but West and Lipinski must be in the mix with Scott, McNeil and Vandermeer fortunate that the team is winning.

azabob
11-04-2021, 03:14 PM
IN: Lipinski
OUT Scott

I’d love to get West in also but I’m not sure what other role he can play other than midfield.

He struggles to stay in the game and isn’t overly quick.

Lipinski is ahead of West as the next cab off the rank.

SonofScray
11-04-2021, 03:28 PM
Blokes that would be spoken about would have to be:

McNeill
Scott
Laitham

The first two are a few weeks into a decent crack at senior footy, have had some good moments but I can't see them holding out the sort of players that are in the mix outside the team currently. Bevo obviously sees them bringing something to the table, workman like attributes, hard running, a bit of pace? Lachie I'd like to see him settle a bit more and make the most of his chances. Scott is the first one to drop down a level for a bit I suspect.

Dutch has been down a little on early performances. I'd like to see him work through it in the ones, but if West or Cavarra, or Mitch can bring their talent and point of difference to the fore, then he'll have to make way at some point too. I'm backing him into pick up again. Important player for us.

SquirrelGrip
11-04-2021, 06:27 PM
The league will want to send a message to Caleb and find a way to suspend him.

Out Daniel (susp), in Lipinski. Scott to take Caleb’s small defensive role, Lip to rotate through wing and half forward.

Dry Rot
11-04-2021, 07:37 PM
Daniel one week

https://www.afl.com.au/news/582259/match-review-star-dog-banned-for-dangerous-tackle

comrade
11-04-2021, 08:03 PM
Daniel one week

https://www.afl.com.au/news/582259/match-review-star-dog-banned-for-dangerous-tackle

Garbage. It's a free kick, nothing more.

1eyedog
11-04-2021, 08:14 PM
The Brisbane player somersaulted himself with forward momentum talk about adding mayo.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2021, 08:34 PM
Robinson a $1,000...

The Bulldogs Bite
11-04-2021, 08:36 PM
Absolutely ridiculous.

The Brisbane player jumped.....

Boots
12-04-2021, 08:51 AM
Don't like to see it but the Daniel suspension makes sense. Even if he's sometimes inconsistent, the MRO does like to go hard on anything involving the head and it looked to me like the Brissie player was pretty much piledriven. We all know Daniel didn't mean to do it, he's not that sort of player, but one week makes a lot of sense in this environment.

The Doctor
12-04-2021, 09:06 AM
Lippa for Daniel would seem to be the obvious change.

I would however reward form and give Cavarra a go.

comrade
12-04-2021, 09:45 AM
Don't like to see it but the Daniel suspension makes sense. Even if he's sometimes inconsistent, the MRO does like to go hard on anything involving the head and it looked to me like the Brissie player was pretty much piledriven. We all know Daniel didn't mean to do it, he's not that sort of player, but one week makes a lot of sense in this environment.

Neville Jetta gave away a free yesterday after tackling Menegola and slamming down on the side of his head. Menegola was fine and took the free but if the MRO has any consistency, he should also get a week. I bet he doesn’t.

Ozza
12-04-2021, 09:50 AM
I would just be bringing Lippa in for Caleb.

Don't see any major need to make multiple changes to the top of the ladder side.

Boots
12-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Neville Jetta gave away a free yesterday after tackling Menegola and slamming down on the side of his head. Menegola was fine and took the free but if the MRO has any consistency, he should also get a week. I bet he doesn’t.

He's definitely not 100% consistent. In my time as a coach of a very different sport, I used to tell my students that the referees were kind of like terrain - something that will change from game to game and that you couldn't always use to advantage, but you had to account for or you were a fool.

I think the umps and MRO are like that. They're like the rain or the wind. You might not enjoy it but you have to deal with it.

The inconsistency does grate, but it means we get off when we shouldn't sometimes too.

Mofra
12-04-2021, 10:11 AM
Gold Coast don't have a recognised ruckman - I'd be very tempted to give Sweet a chance at the highest level and rest Martin.
Cavarra or West for Daniel, JJ goes back to defence this week.

DOG GOD
12-04-2021, 10:57 AM
I wouldn’t wanna take any risk with Martin at all, so this week is a prefect week to just freshen him up for Mumford the following week.
Lippa comes in for Daniel, and I’d like to see Jong as the Sub.

Happy Days
12-04-2021, 11:02 AM
We wouldn't challenge that Daniel suspension would we? Seems like a waste of energy and with this dip in form a week off might not be the worst thing ever for Caleb.

Mantis
12-04-2021, 11:04 AM
Gold Coast don't have a recognised ruckman - I'd be very tempted to give Sweet a chance at the highest level and rest Martin.
Cavarra or West for Daniel, JJ goes back to defence this week.

What is Sweet going to add besides being the right size?

I’d prefer we play Schache and allow English, Young and Schache to share the load.

Happy Days
12-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Yeah let's not get crazy here thinking that a soft launch for Sweet is the way to go. Gold Coast aren't so terrible where we can afford to lead a first gamer by the hand in a really important position, despite what Nathan Buckley might have you believe.

Vred
12-04-2021, 11:08 AM
Yeah let's not get crazy here thinking that a soft launch for Sweet is the way to go. Gold Coast aren't so terrible where we can afford to lead a first gamer by the hand in a really important position, despite what Nathan Buckley might have you believe.

I'd be fine with an English/Sweet combo considering the ruckstocks of GC, Martin has a huge run coming up, GWS/Richmond, if we were gonna rest him before he goes toe to toe with the likes of Mummy, now is the time. Sweet is really progressing, I don't think he'd be nearly as bad as what some are saying.

Jam Donuts
12-04-2021, 11:20 AM
OUT-
McNeil, needs to learn his craft in the magoos, shows a fair bit though
Scott, simply not ready for the ones, and not a good fit at the moment in our firsts with the attacking and aggressive style we play.
Daniel, Very stiff to miss a week, the Lions player did project forward
Vandermeer, his second efforts are lacking, he just stands there waiting for a teammate to go get the ball

IN-
West, he simply must play and string a few games in a row together, he is aggressive and smart, if we can play McNeil and Scott for 4 games with near zero inputs, then surely West can have a crack as well.
Lipinski, he was good when he played the whole game when Gardner was injured, he deserves another crack in the ones.
Jong, lets have a look at what Lin can bring to the side, his attack on the ball and tackling would be a huge assistance.
Cavarra, another chance for him, and he has been in good form.

We need to find our best 23 as soon as we can, i do not believe in playing youngsters just for the sake of it, we have a chance to be 6/6 and that sets up a top 4, let's take it seriously at the selection table.

westbulldog
12-04-2021, 11:34 AM
As we have given McNeill and Scott a taste for 4 weeks why not give Sweet a go on our home deck ? The Suns Burgess has only played 16 games and would give away 24kg and 12cm to Sweet. Young has had one promising game in defence, leave him there and lets not revert to a "Dunkley in the ruck" theory which did not work and cost us multiple games.

Mofra
12-04-2021, 11:53 AM

I’d prefer we play Schache and allow English, Young and Schache to share the load.
We have to find out if he's worth persisting with - I really prefer English forward of the ball right now

AshMac
12-04-2021, 12:37 PM

I agree with you, watched the replay 100 times and it is unclear whether the player jumped or Daniel deliberately lifted him off the ground - probably a bit of both.

What irritates me is that there is nothing on Mitch Robinson. He went out there as an enforcer - that’s fine but TWICE collected dogs players heads. The second one was pretty close to dangerfields incident which got weeks. How that has gone unnoticed I’ll not know.

Also - if we’re red hot on dangerous tackles this year, Jack Ziebel pile driving Bruce’s head into the dirt probably warrants a mention at least by the media....

Ozza
12-04-2021, 12:42 PM
We wouldn't challenge that Daniel suspension would we? Seems like a waste of energy and with this dip in form a week off might not be the worst thing ever for Caleb.

I'm not sure on what grounds we could challenge it. It was a dangerous tackle.

On the form front - I don't have a big issue with one down week. He got tagged, but we still won, and Bailey Dale in particular, was able to pick up the slack and use his great kicking to our advantage.

Ozza
12-04-2021, 12:43 PM

The obsession with crowbarring Sweet into the side is too much for me!

Ozza
12-04-2021, 12:44 PM
We have to find out if he's worth persisting with - I really prefer English forward of the ball right now

We don't have to at all right now. He can continue to be no.1 ruck in the reserves and ready himself for AFL football post Stef Martin if he's good enough. He's still very young in a ruckman sense.

Scraggers
12-04-2021, 02:41 PM

I do wonder if the dip in form was due to the umpire telling him he’s on report. The tackle was in the first ten minutes of the game. That sort of thing would weigh heavily on your mind for the rest of the match wouldn’t it??

Happy Days
12-04-2021, 03:01 PM
I do wonder if the dip in form was due to the umpire telling him he’s on report. The tackle was in the first ten minutes of the game. That sort of thing would weigh heavily on your mind for the rest of the match wouldn’t it??

Maybe if it was in the first quarter of the Eagles game. Caleb is a stud but he's not having the best start to the year.

westbulldog
12-04-2021, 03:31 PM
Sweet was almost a permanent emergency in the hub year so the Club must see something in him. He is also out of contract at the end of this year so do we give him a go or risk losing him ? Some on here probably think he is just another Tom Campbell. FFS if Scott and McNeill can be given FOUR Games what is wrong in giving Sweet ONE especially against GC. From our website "The crafty ruckman had a terrific season for North Adelaide in the state-league competition, culminating in being a member of the Rooster's SANFL premiership side
IMO Young was also left out out of the team for too long. Lets not run Martin into the ground, we are only 4 games in.

bornadog
12-04-2021, 06:56 PM
Out: Caleb (Suspended for tackling a player and no one hurt)

In: Lipinski

FrediKanoute
12-04-2021, 07:25 PM
Out: Caleb (Suspended for tackling a player and no one hurt)

In: Lipinski

That seems the right change for me. Cannot se Scott/McNeil being left out this week with no reserves.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-04-2021, 08:25 PM
With Caleb out it allows JJ to take his defence spot as he played forward for quite a bit against the Lions.
I would like to see Wallis as our appointed VC return possibly at the expense of Vandemeer who has struggled for the most part this year.

Before I Die
12-04-2021, 08:58 PM
I don’t get the determination to change a winning side to bring in players who haven’t had a game for points this year. Sweet, West, Cavarra et al have only got training and practice match form to support their inclusion. Let’s see how their form stacks up when they are competing against opponents for premiership points. With an undefeated side and no real passengers so far, let’s just make changes as necessary.

Out : Daniel

In: Lipinski or Crozier, though I’d probably wait another week for Crozier.

FrediKanoute
12-04-2021, 09:16 PM
With Caleb out it allows JJ to take his defence spot as he played forward for quite a bit against the Lions.
I would like to see Wallis as our appointed VC return possibly at the expense of Vandemeer who has struggled for the most part this year.

I think Vanders has struggled in the last 2 games, but I'm not ready to drop him yet.

Scraggers
12-04-2021, 09:41 PM
I don’t get the determination to change a winning side to bring in players who haven’t had a game for points this year. Sweet, West, Cavarra et al have only got training and practice match form to support their inclusion. Let’s see how their form stacks up when they are competing against opponents for premiership points. With an undefeated side and no real passengers so far, let’s just make changes as necessary.

I would love Crozier to come back in ... big fan; but i agree, wait one more week.

westbulldog
13-04-2021, 11:39 AM

That is EXACTLY the position Scott and McNeill were in before round 1. Only 2 practice games as I recall.

bornadog
13-04-2021, 04:03 PM
I would love Crozier to come back in ... big fan; but i agree, wait one more week.

Gut feel - he comes in for Caleb

Mantis
13-04-2021, 04:15 PM
Gut feel - he comes in for Caleb

Given he’s limited preparation I would hope he would come back via the VFL team... he wasn’t seen as a 1st choice defender come the end of last year so should be made to return to the team with some form.

bornadog
13-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Given he’s limited preparation I would hope he would come back via the VFL team... he wasn’t seen as a 1st choice defender come the end of last year so should be made to return to the team with some form.

I am with you and prefer Lippa in for Caleb, but who knows

jeemak
13-04-2021, 04:20 PM

Completely agree. Whilst GCS isn't on paper the biggest test for our defence we should be expecting players to have some match preparation underneath them before we put them in the seniors.

comrade
13-04-2021, 04:38 PM
It's a shame Richards is injured, perfect opportunity to play him off HB.

I really hope we see Buku soon, I reckon he'll thrive under the dirty defensive 50 entries our midfield is giving up at the moment.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2021, 05:10 PM

Is he best 22 at all?

Crozier's leap shadows some of his poor decision making IMO. He's not a great 1-v-1 defender (i.e. like Duryea) or a lockdown defender (i.e. Wood) and he's not really a rebounder either (i.e. Dale, Daniel and even to a lesser extent Williams and Duryea who both offer lockdown/rebound roles).

I think Crozier probably plays a fair bit of footy this year, but he's not a walk up start for mine.

comrade
14-04-2021, 08:18 PM
Ballard a potential out for GC, struggling with an ankle. That would make them very undersized down back.

jeemak
14-04-2021, 08:58 PM
Is he best 22 at all?

Crozier's leap shadows some of his poor decision making IMO. He's not a great 1-v-1 defender (i.e. like Duryea) or a lockdown defender (i.e. Wood) and he's not really a rebounder either (i.e. Dale, Daniel and even to a lesser extent Williams and Duryea who both offer lockdown/rebound roles).

I think Crozier probably plays a fair bit of footy this year, but he's not a walk up start for mine.

What concerns me a bit with Crozier is the ill-considered kicking, and I wouldn't be super happy with losing what we get with Dale's kicking for it to be replaced with high long bombs. What Crozier can bring in the air is handy against better teams/ forwards though.

mjp
14-04-2021, 10:43 PM
Is he best 22 at all?

At the start of last season he was. After his injury he wasn't the same player though.

He is fearless in his attack on the contest and I would be pretty happy to have someone like that playing alongside me. You know if you are stuck in a one-v-one and he is in the vicinity he is 100% a ball or body player - he will hit the ball OR he will hit the body and there is no chance my opponent would mark it.

He's a good player and has been a tremendous recruit. There is room for him in the side.

FrediKanoute
14-04-2021, 11:41 PM
At the start of last season he was. After his injury he wasn't the same player though.

He is fearless in his attack on the contest and I would be pretty happy to have someone like that playing alongside me. You know if you are stuck in a one-v-one and he is in the vicinity he is 100% a ball or body player - he will hit the ball OR he will hit the body and there is no chance my opponent would mark it.

He's a good player and has been a tremendous recruit. There is room for him in the side.

Agree. Would take Scott's place as a start.

Mantis
15-04-2021, 07:55 AM
Agree. Would take Scott's place as a start.

It can be a little hard to tell from watching on TV, but it seems that over the past 2 weeks that Scott has played mainly as a forward so not sure that it’s like for like.... unless we plan to use Crozier as we did in his last game.

bornadog
15-04-2021, 10:53 AM
It can be a little hard to tell from watching on TV, but it seems that over the past 2 weeks that Scott has played mainly as a forward so not sure that it’s like for like.... unless we plan to use Crozier as we did in his last game.

Correct, Scott has played forward, not back in the last two games. McNeil played on the wing for the first few quarters and then moved forward, and Hunter went back to wing.

1eyedog
15-04-2021, 10:49 PM
Double post

1eyedog
15-04-2021, 10:52 PM
Is he best 22 at all?

Yeah his beauty lies in his ability to be anyone of the above if required. At the end of 2019 he was one of the best medium defenders in the comp.

His versatility is a big strength. He can play forward as well and I won't be surprised to see him tried as our mid-sized forward sometime this season.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-04-2021, 11:24 PM
Gotta love Crozier and what he brings. Maniac.

bornadog
15-04-2021, 11:34 PM
Rumour is Stefan out, Sweet in

jeemak
16-04-2021, 02:33 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Imagine Sweet really showed something and all of a sudden Martin had some competition for his spot. It would be good for us if that was the case and if he does come in I really hope he takes his opportunity.

Vred
16-04-2021, 04:07 AM

This is being reported in a few Bulldogs circles it seems, curious to see if we get the ''debutante calls parents'' video tomorrow.

Martin most likely rested considering we have a huge run of games against good rucks coming up.

jeemak
16-04-2021, 04:45 AM
This is being reported in a few Bulldogs circles it seems, curious to see if we get the ''debutante calls parents'' video tomorrow.

Martin most likely rested considering we have a huge run of games against good rucks coming up.

I've heard he's out because he's too unusually pleasant.

Vred
16-04-2021, 05:36 AM

Martin really does come off as that guy who never gets angry / always happy.

Insufficient Intent
16-04-2021, 07:30 AM
Well, this would be a case of swapping like for like if Jordon lives up to his name.

Ed:typo

EasternWest
16-04-2021, 09:59 AM

Stupid, sexy Martin.

The Adelaide Connection
16-04-2021, 02:07 PM
I saw a post on FB that mentioned that Sweet led them out at the open training session.

Ps It’s a crazy possibility that Sweet could go close to best on (but against a team without a ruckman) and then be left out against GWS.

comrade
16-04-2021, 02:10 PM
Article on Dogs website confirming Crozier is set to return. No mention of Sweet.

The Underdog
16-04-2021, 02:28 PM
Sweet in for sure.
Happy Birthday Danjul :)

comrade
16-04-2021, 02:34 PM
The Sweet thing is in, confirmed on Dogs website.

Mofra
16-04-2021, 02:37 PM
I assume that means Daniel out (sus) Martin (rested) for Sweet and Crozier.
I'm keen to see West get his opportunity soon and hope Cav gets another crack at it.

comrade
16-04-2021, 02:38 PM
Pretty happy for Sweet to come in for this exact game. Excited to see what he can produce at the top level, particularly around the ground.

Looks like Bevo is a convert to the 3 tall forward structure which is pretty incredible after the last few years.

bornadog
16-04-2021, 02:58 PM

Sweet to debut (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/911974/sweet-to-debut)

Ruckman Jordon Sweet will make his AFL debut for the Western Bulldogs on Saturday.

The 23-year-old will take on the Gold Coast Suns at Marvel Stadium.

He becomes the third Bulldog to debut at AFL level in 2021, following in the footsteps of fellow rookies Anthony Scott and Lachie McNeil.

Sweet is in his third season at the Kennel.

He joined the Bulldogs with pick 23 in the 2018 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, on the back of a premiership-winning season with North Adelaide in the SANFL.

Sweet was a strong performer at VFL level in his first year as a Bulldog in 2019, playing 17 games.

That included a string of four games where he collected a whopping 205 hit-outs, against Sandringham (51), Casey Demons (55), Richmond (39) and Port Melbourne (60).

He earned an opportunity in the Marsh Community Series against North Melbourne at the start of 2020, but had to continue to bide his time at scratch match level in the Gold Coast hub throughout the year as Tim English established himself in the ruck role.

Sweet has started 2021 strongly in the lead ruck role in VFL scratch matches and has also pushed forward to hit the scoreboard, including a three-goal haul against Essendon.

Vred
16-04-2021, 03:01 PM
Looks like two Ruck combo is our game plan for the long term

The Underdog
16-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Looks like two Ruck combo is our game plan for the long term

Will wonders never cease?

GVGjr
16-04-2021, 03:29 PM
Out - Vandermeer, Scout, McNeil and Martin

In - West, Lipinski, JUH and Sweet. Vandermeer as the sub.

I would love West in as he needs to be given a chance to hold down a spot in the side. I also think it’s time to see JUH. Was told he hadn’t yet got the tank to run out a game. It will not matter against GCS and it will set the media and support base on fire.

You got your wish with Sweet

Smads57
16-04-2021, 03:42 PM
Having watched the open training session this morning (with binoculars on player activity), I am going to go out on a limb and suggest Naughton may also be an 'out' for this week.

Stef Martin only joined in about 30% of the Captains run, whereas Naughty would have been active in just 20% of the activities....just an observation. Would be interested if anyone else who attended this morning noticed Naughton not being as active as others.

Axe Man
16-04-2021, 04:08 PM
Surely Lippa either needs to come into the 22 or play VFL? Can't have him potentially sitting on the pine all game for a second week in a row.

Dogs reveal Daniel replacement, confirm debut for young ruckman (https://www.afl.com.au/news/594587/dogs-reveal-daniel-replacement-confirm-debut-for-young-ruckman)

THE LADDER-LEADING Western Bulldogs will welcome back star defender Hayden Crozier for his first game of the season in Saturday's clash against Gold Coast.

Crozier has recovered from surgery on a shoulder injury suffered in a practice match against Melbourne.

And his availability couldn't have come at a better time for the Dogs with All-Australian backman Caleb Daniel suspended for a dangerous tackle on Brisbane's Tom Berry.

"We know what Caleb brings for us with his creativity and he's become such a great small defender as well so he's a big loss," Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge told reporters on Friday.

"But obviously Hayden is a pretty handy replacement."

The Bulldogs have had one of the most effective ruck tandems in the competition over the opening month in Stefan Martin and Tim English, although one of those are likely to be rested this week with the Dogs confirming a debut for 23-year-old ruckman Jordon Sweet.

And with the 13th-placed Suns missing their No.1 ruckman Jarrod Witts because of a knee injury, Beveridge admitted that scenario could provide an advantage for his side.

"What we see with Gold Coast is they've always been a very, very combative workman-like team," he said.

"I think they're the No.1 clearance side in the competition even though they haven't necessarily been winning games.

"So if we can get some kind of advantage with where those hits go and understand where they're going ... then maybe (it will be an advantage) but time will tell.

"They've lost a couple of key players in recent times which is affecting the way that they set up ... but what it won't affect is how hard they work and they'll really put us under pressure and we need to be able to absorb that."

The Marvel Stadium fixture is significant for the Bulldogs as it not only presents them with the chance to start a season with five wins for the first time since 1946, but it's also captain Marcus Bontempelli's 150th AFL game.

"What an amazing player he's been for our football club," Beveridge said.

"Occasionally I remind people that his peers in the cohort voted him as the second-best captain in the competition last year in his first year (as skipper) behind 'Pendles' (Collingwood's Scott Pendlebury)."

Meanwhile, Beveridge was agonising over whether to make Patrick Lipinski the medical sub for the third game in a row or select him in the starting 22.

"It's a bloody difficult one," said Beveridge, who conceded it was a good problem to have given how much pressure there was on for spots in the team.

comrade
16-04-2021, 04:14 PM
I would say Lippa is dropped to the VFL based on that.

Grantysghost
16-04-2021, 04:16 PM

Must be tough. He and Cordy did a long session after the game out on the oval. At least 30 - 45 minutes of running.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Good to see Sweet in.

I still think Cavarra deserves reward for effort, particularly considering Scott and McNeil have struggled.

bornadog
16-04-2021, 05:13 PM

I would like Lippa in and Scott medical sub.

Mofra
16-04-2021, 05:15 PM
Pretty happy for Sweet to come in for this exact game. Excited to see what he can produce at the top level, particularly around the ground.

Looks like Bevo is a convert to the 3 tall forward structure which is pretty incredible after the last few years.
I think the two ruck structure he's favoured for most of his time at the dogs (Cam-head, Boyd & Roughy) is working really well for us so will be the preferred structure this year and next.
English's mobility helps us do this Two lumbering types wouldn't work.

comrade
16-04-2021, 07:23 PM
In: Sweet, Crozier
Out: Martin (managed), Daniel (suspended), Lipinski (omitted)

Go_Dogs
16-04-2021, 07:31 PM
Sensible changes.

Hope Sweet has fun dominating hit outs and will be interested to see how our midfield read his ruck work.

comrade
16-04-2021, 07:38 PM
Sub will come from: Cordy, Cavarra, Jong, Lipinski

I doubt Lipinski is used after warming the bench last week, and I can't see Cordy suiting the role. Looks like it'll be one of Cav or Jongy as the sub, we'll know as of 11.20 tomorrow.

whythelongface
16-04-2021, 08:10 PM
Would have liked to have seen Lippa in but hey we are 4-0 thus think the MC know what they are doing.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-04-2021, 08:50 PM
Put on the after burners fed by rocket fuel in the second half.
Bont in his 150th BOG.

AshMac
16-04-2021, 08:57 PM
Good ins. Nice for Croz to have a run around before we play GWS next week. Awesome to see Sweet get a shot - hope he grabs it with both hands a gets a real taste

comrade
17-04-2021, 09:03 AM
I think the two ruck structure he's favoured for most of his time at the dogs (Cam-head, Boyd & Roughy) is working really well for us so will be the preferred structure this year and next.
English's mobility helps us do this Two lumbering types wouldn't work.

Outside of 2016 with Boyd/Roughy, Bevo definitely has not favoured a two ruck structure during his time at the Dogs. Campbell didn’t play more than 9 games in any year with us and we’ve had to endure the last 3 years of Timmy basically getting his arse handed to him one out, along with a rotating cast of mids to fill the void.

We could have easily gone in with the exact structure we’ve named this week at any point in 2020, yet Bevo decided not to even when English was cooked towards the end of the season. I posted elsewhere that a major benefit of Martin coming in had proved that rucks do work. Sanity has finally prevailed.

Grantysghost
17-04-2021, 09:47 AM
It's interesting the Tigers still use the one. I think the biggest problem we have had is that the one we had wasn't that great in the role.

GVGjr
17-04-2021, 09:53 AM
Outside of 2016 with Boyd/Roughy, Bevo definitely has not favoured a two ruck structure during his time at the Dogs. Campbell didn’t play more than 9 games in any year with us and we’ve had to endure the last 3 years of Timmy basically getting his arse handed to him one out, along with a rotating cast of mids to fill the void.

We could have easily gone in with the exact structure we’ve named this week at any point in 2020, yet Bevo decided not to even when English was cooked towards the end of the season. I posted elsewhere that a major benefit of Martin coming in had proved that rucks do work. Sanity has finally prevailed.

I wonder if also we need to thank Dunkley for the now differing view on the value of rucks?
Of course English making the most of his time up forward helps reinforce this with Bevo.

As you say, Bevo had no problems with keeping English in the ruck last year even when most of us could see he was struggling.

kruder
17-04-2021, 10:49 AM
I wonder if also we need to thank Dunkley for the now differing view on the value of rucks?
Of course English making the most of his time up forward helps reinforce this with Bevo.

As you say, Bevo had no problems with keeping English in the ruck last year even when most of us could see he was struggling.

We said it at the time that it was a learning opportunity the Dunkley situation and judging the fact that Sweet comes in this week, 100% Bevo has taken a few things on board. Tim will ruck alone on occasions still for sure but we may have found like sweet spot we are after.

DOG GOD
17-04-2021, 11:03 AM
I think Bevo finally sees how this 3 pronged fwd line works, and he’s not going to hinder that if a key player misses. Looks like it will be a “like for like”. If a ruck misses, one comes in. That’s common sense. About time.

Mantis
17-04-2021, 11:09 AM
Sub will come from: Cordy, Cavarra, Jong, Lipinski

I doubt Lipinski is used after warming the bench last week, and I can't see Cordy suiting the role. Looks like it'll be one of Cav or Jongy as the sub, we'll know as of 11.20 tomorrow.

Not ideal that if Jong or Cav are the sub and they don’t get a run that they wouldn’t have played for 3 weeks come our next game.

1eyedog
17-04-2021, 11:22 AM

Bevo's stubborness is what scares me most of all. He's obviously brilliant and is an innovative coach but his inability to make selction changes when required over a period of years concerns me, actually it keeps me awake at night.

Some of the issues I have had in past are not new to us and maybe others feel the same way. First and foremost is Bevo obviously placing no value on ruckman role. We drove Tim into the ground and were happy to see a great player and clubman Roughead go to the Pies for donuts. Some will think I'm being harsh here but playing Gardner for all of last year and continuing with this into this year while a far more talented Lew Young was waiting in the wings. Lew Young looks like an upcoming Tom Barrass to me, an outstanding second tall prospect with clean hands under a high ball.

Bruce being played all last year with Schache in the wings. Extremely frustrating. Also, I'm not getting how West is not in this team at the moment either. I'm still really concerned about team selection on a week by week basis and while we are 4 zip I'm pretty sure that it has absolutely nothing to do with McNeil Gardner and Scott. We have better players who can take these spots and make us an even better team.

comrade
17-04-2021, 11:31 AM
Not ideal that if Jong or Cav are the sub and they don’t get a run that they wouldn’t have played for 3 weeks come our next game.

Agreed. Also tough on Lippa after missing out on game time last week. Playing after the VFL side makes it tough, hopefully we can get a more accommodating fixture as season progresses.

GVGjr
17-04-2021, 01:20 PM
Bevo's stubborness is what scares me most of all. He's obviously brilliant and is an innovative coach but his inability to make selction changes when required over a period of years concerns me, actually it keeps me awake at night.

Some of the issues I have had in past are not new to us and maybe others feel the same way. First and foremost is Bevo obviously placing no value on ruckman role. We drove Tim into the ground and were happy to see a great player and clubman Roughead go to the Pies for donuts. Some will think I'm being harsh here but playing Gardner for all of last year and continuing with this into this year while a far more talented Lew Young was waiting in the wings. Lew Young looks like an upcoming Tom Barrass to me, an outstanding second tall prospect with clean hands under a high ball.

Bruce being played all last year with Schache in the wings. Extremely frustrating. Also, I'm not getting how West is not in this team at the moment either. I'm still really concerned about team selection on a week by week basis and while we are 4 zip I'm pretty sure that it has absolutely nothing to do with McNeil Gardner and Scott. We have better players who can take these spots and make us an even better team.

I think many believe the selected side is largely on form and I think there has been flaws in that assessment.
Just playing Bruce last year with almost zero input, putting Dunkley into the ruck after and extended break with an injury, ignoring JT and Young and running English into the ground highlights a level of inflexibility. That said, he's clearly come to terms with things this year.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-04-2021, 01:39 PM
I am coming up to pace with views on Bevo here. Very interesting and seemingly accurate like a flawed genius.
Yes a stickler also sticking with Roarke Smith now delisted.
Obviously a non negotiable for Beveridge is absolute commitment at training which we supporters can no longer witness.

Bulldog Joe
17-04-2021, 01:51 PM
I am coming up to pace with views on Bevo here. Very interesting and seemingly accurate like a flawed genius.
Yes a stickler also sticking with Roarke Smith now delisted.
Obviously a non negotiable for Beveridge is absolute commitment at training which we supporters can no longer witness.

Roarke is still a listed player, but it appears his hair may have been delisted.

jeemak
17-04-2021, 11:07 PM
FWIW I think there's as much of "it's because it's the way we're playing this year" as it is anything with respect to selecting Sweet. If we didn't have Martin we mostly likely wouldn't be playing two rucks and Sweet wouldn't have gotten a game. If we don't have Martin much going forward a change to the overall set up would be better than an even money bet.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-04-2021, 11:54 PM
FWIW I think there's as much of "it's because it's the way we're playing this year" as it is anything with respect to selecting Sweet. If we didn't have Martin we mostly likely wouldn't be playing two rucks and Sweet wouldn't have gotten a game. If we don't have Martin much going forward a change to the overall set up would be better than an even money bet.

I definitely think the fact GC did not have a proper ruck corp influenced the resting of Martin. Sweet was great at the actual ruck contest but the fact that only Williams and Cavarra had less time on ground suggests that he has little use right now outside of the ruck and that his limitations in other roles affects our ability to manage our rotations.
If he could add some more strings to his bow, he could really add to our team long term, and enable English to stay forward for longer.

jeemak
18-04-2021, 12:11 AM
I definitely think the fact GC did not have a proper ruck corp influenced the resting of Martin. Sweet was great at the actual ruck contest but the fact that only Williams and Cavarra had less time on ground suggests that he has little use right now outside of the ruck and that his limitations in other roles affects our ability to manage our rotations.
If he could add some more strings to his bow, he could really add to our team long term, and enable English to stay forward for longer.

Yeah I wasn't getting into Sweet with my post, more so just saying that he probably doesn't get a game if we hadn't spent the summer setting up with Martin and English and you're right, this was the week to do it.

Whether that means Bevo is still stubborn or whatever, I don't really know. I guess it's a long season and plenty can play out over time.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-04-2021, 12:16 AM
Yeah I wasn't getting into Sweet with my post, more so just saying that he probably doesn't get a game if we hadn't spent the summer setting up with Martin and English and you're right, this was the week to do it.

Whether that means Bevo is still stubborn or whatever, I don't really know. I guess it's a long season and plenty can play out over time.

I think you're right, if we don't get Martin then all the sliding door options are in play, and maybe we're 3-2, and without English playing huge minutes up forward we probably aren't considering playing a pure ruckman in Sweet.

jeemak
18-04-2021, 12:32 AM
I think you're right, if we don't get Martin then all the sliding door options are in play, and maybe we're 3-2, and without English playing huge minutes up forward we probably aren't considering playing a pure ruckman in Sweet.

Nobody can deny that English getting ball and goals forward of centre has been a bit of a streak through the competition. It's been amazing for us.

1eyedog
18-04-2021, 07:38 AM
Nobody can deny that English getting ball and goals forward of centre has been a bit of a streak through the competition. It's been amazing for us.

He's done this intermittently across the last two years i.e hit the scoreboard when moved forward. He just hasn't played enough minutes thete to really make a impact. Clearly that's changed.